Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news in.
Speaker 2: Viniar and Cisco announcing plans this week to extend their partnership, creating their most advanced AI architecture package that will provide secure enterprise AI networking. I'm very place to say the Cisco Chief Product Officer and Executive vice president g Two Pateau joined us now for more, Gezo, It's good to see you, sir.
Speaker 3: It's great to see you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me, Thank you for being here. I wanted to do this for a while with you, we all have. Let's just take a giant step back before we get into this partnership. You know what I worry about. I worry that AI will do to services what manufacturing was done to by globalization. What is the risk of that happening over the next several decades.
Speaker 4: Look at any replatforming that happens. You'll always have some level of displacement of jobs, and we need to make sure that we make it as painless for society to make that transition happen. But I worry less about AI taking my job. I worry more about someone who uses AI really well taking my job.
Speaker 3: So if you take a step back.
Speaker 4: It's actually really exciting to see what the possibilities are with AI because what people, even despite all the hype, what people grossly underestimate is the original insights that AI is going to be able to go derive that don't exist in the human corpus of knowledge, that allow us to solve problems that we have not been able to solve until now. And so, you know, whether it be in healthcare or financial services, or transportation or whatever industry you pick, you will actually have a reimagination of the ways in which we can solve problems that have not existed up until now. And that's exciting, frankly, because you have this, you know, population of eight billion people that will feel like it's got the throughput capacity of eighty billion.
Speaker 2: Are we seeing that happen right now? Is that a dream for the future or something that's being realized in this very moment.
Speaker 3: You're going to start seeing it happen.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty five, for example, there will be you know, a meaningful amount of code that will actually start getting autonomously written, and so you'll actually start to see so many more The capacity of engineers will actually ten x during the course of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: It's exciting to see this, as you know, is the societal issue that i'd be slightly concerned about. So there are a bunch of graduates who are graduating over the next couple of years or so, and they went to learn to code because they would tell this is what you need to go and learn to do. And they're coming out into a workforce where maybe they feel like they're no longer needed. What's the advice you'd give to them as they graduate.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing that I feel like people you might overestimate the capabilities on that front, because AI is still not going to have the human instinct and the judgment that you're going to need to have. You're still going to need to do oversight. There's a human in the loop. But now that developer is going to have a companion that can actually do the stuff that they didn't really care to do or they weren't as good as at doing. So this is a net positive in my mind, and you're going to see a lot of progress in society because of it, rather than a regression that happens.
Speaker 1: Not to build on negativity, because I actually am a very big believer on the positivity and I'm excited for it. But there is this question of who's going to lose their jobs in the meantime, and John alluded to this, this idea that it's more of a white collar issue than a blue collar issue. And I'm thinking of things that we've heard about, like at banks where there have been fat fingers that cause transfers or whatever else, and that some of those efforts are being shifted to AI. How significant do you think that transition is going to be.
Speaker 4: You will always have some degree of jobs that will get displaced, and then there'll be new jobs that actually get created. And the thing that we have to keep in mind is it's there's a lot of jobs that right now people don't have enough labor to get done that we are either we just don't have the resources to do that actually don't.
Speaker 3: Happen right now.
Speaker 4: And so what AI will allow us to do is not just go do things that humans don't do as well, not just do things that replace humans, but actually do things that humans don't have the time to get done.
Speaker 1: Which industries do you think are being the most aggressive about adapting to different AI tools and bringing them into their entry.
Speaker 3: I think it's loss subord you're seeing it right now.
Speaker 4: In fact, i'd say, you know, two years ago, when chat GPT came out, almost every company in every industry, I'm noticing what's ourr AI strategy going to look like.
Speaker 3: And we've now had a couple of years to go bake that.
Speaker 4: And in twenty twenty five you're going to see this really exciting move from just chat pots to agents where you'll actually have workflows get automated in every industry, in every sector, in every segment of the market, and every geography.
Speaker 3: So I feel like, you know.
Speaker 4: There's only going to be two kinds of companies in the world, those that are going to be really dextrous for the use of AI and others that are going to really struggle for elevance.
Speaker 2: Before we talk about facilitating that for corporate America, G two, can we talk about how things are changing inside Cisco? What's different about how Cisco's operating with these advancements that you're talking about.
Speaker 4: We are lucky in the sense that we've actually got a front row seat on what's happening, and you know, everything from the way in which we're building out infrastructure to the way in which we are getting our security and safety parameters in the right way, and then making sure that the workflows get automated. So you know, how are we using AI and engineering? How are we using AI our contact center so that when customers call because they've got a problem, we're using AI to make sure that we can help them solve the problems faster. What are we doing in legal? What are we doing in marketing? What are we doing in sales? Each one of these areas is getting rethought and reimagined. It's actually exciting to see.
Speaker 2: The whole world's got to do this. Yes, every company's got to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: Every company every introduces.
Speaker 2: This partnership with in Vidio, talks to us about that and what's going to change over the next several years with that partnership in mind.
Speaker 3: So we're excited.
Speaker 4: Jensen, the CEO of n Vidia, put it best. He said, Cisco and Nvideo are putting together the blueprint for securing AI, and John, I go talk to a lot of customers all the time, and when you go, when you go, ask customers how enthusiastic they are about AI. Virtually every CEO we had a study we recently did ninety seven percent of the CEO said they were excited about AI, but only one point seven percent felt prepared, right, and so there's this kind of dissonance between the preparedness and the level of enthusiasm that's there. And then you ask in the next level question, why do you not feel prepared?
Speaker 3: There's two reasons that come up.
Speaker 4: The first one is they don't feel like they've got the right infrastructure in place to make sure that they'll be able to harness the full potential of AI. And the second one is safety and security actually holds them back because they feel like it also is going to have a negative effect on adoption because if you don't trust the system, you're not going to use it right, And so that's in it. Those are two areas where Cisco, you know, helps customers out and what we've done with and videos, we just announced a partnership for this thing called the Cisco the Secure AI Factory.
Speaker 3: Now, what is an AI factory.
Speaker 4: An AI factory essentially is a data center that's meticulously.
Speaker 3: Built for AI workloads.
Speaker 4: And what it allows you to do is make sure that you can you can you can create these data centers in the enterprise that can allow organizations to fully harness the potential of AI, and so we are jointly partnering over there wibr networking, our security, their technologies looks. Cisco is one of the greatest networking companies in the world, and Video is a pioneer on the chips and actually create it to some degree. The movement in AI and the combination of the two companies together, and I think you're going to see more and more of this where companies are going to partner with each other in this ecosystem to really go serve needs of customers and work backwards, even if there might be a slight competitive elopment.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating to me because what it signifies is there's a growing number of companies that don't want to rely on the hyperscalers, that don't want to rely on the cloud systems to provide the artificial intelligence for their businesses. And it raises a question about the model that everyone has bought into in the market, which is that they will be the big beneficiaries. How much is that changing with companies not wanting to necessarily develop their artificial intelligence in the cloud for security reasons and want to have it in secure locations that keeps their data encapsulated.
Speaker 3: I think you're going to have both.
Speaker 4: I think there's going to be probably the fastest growth that hyperscalers experience that they've ever experienced with AI, and there will be the fastest growth that enterprises have because there will be some data centers that they'll want to repatriate back within the enterprise so that they can make sure that especially in areas like Inferunce, you'll actually see a lot more of that.
Speaker 3: There's two big areas.
Speaker 4: There's training infrastructure that's needed to train the models, and then there's inferencing, which is what happens when you use the models. And on the inferencing side, you're seeing a fair amount of repatriation of data centers back in enterprise. And I think you're going to see a little bit of both. And we want to make sure that whether you're a hyperscaler, you're a service provider, you're an enterprise, Cisco wants to serve each one of them in a way that they can actually have infrastructure be plug and play and it's massively simplified.
Speaker 3: It's still too complicated.
Speaker 1: What's the role of government in this? There's tremendous competition around the world. Obviously, I'm thinking of Washington and Beijing.
Speaker 3: Do you like what you're hearing out of the administration.
Speaker 4: I'm actually very optimistic about the kind of things that you're seeing across the board with the enthusiasm on AI. If we weren't talking about AI, I would be concerned. But right now the governments are talking about it. They're talking about how automation happens within the government, how automation is happening in the private sector, how are they're going to make sure that they can accelerate the innovation on those areas.
Speaker 3: So I think it's not positive.
Speaker 2: Are we going to be replaced? So we care about?
Speaker 4: No, John, You'll still be here in five years from now. I'm still going to come and talk to you after the show, and it's not going to be an AI humanoid.
Speaker 3: It's going to be John.
Speaker 2: That's all I wanted to know. That's all I care about.
Speaker 1: How do you know I haven't already been replaced?
Speaker 2: That would be incredibly.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Kerry had a guest recently. It was remote and I worried it might be AI. Just didn't have a clue. You never know, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 3: G you're an Optimus. Someday this is going to be a fun world.
Speaker 2: Slightly converting me. I'm looking forward to being on this journey with you, GT one of the best. Appreciate it, thanks for being about Thank you, G two. But it's now there. The Cisco Chief Product Officer and executive vice president,