Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning everybody. It's the j n V.
Speaker 3: Jess hilarious Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building, legendary Jermaine Duprit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going on, where you want to start?
Speaker 2: You want to start the number one congratulations on money Long.
Speaker 3: We can start with the number one, all right, number one records, money Long, number one record this week produced by j D.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nothing to you, no more, there's nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm saying no, no, I'm saying I don't want to start with that. I came to talk about Freaknick. Congratulations. You know what I'm saying. I'm I'm you know, I'm a static about it. Yeah, you know it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about Freakney. This Freaknick documentary.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, when making a documentary, you had tons of ladies and men scared that they were going to see their pictures, their asses on the screen. But it was it was well done. It wasn't done in a disrespectful way. It was it was so explain to it, this documentary, how it came.
Speaker 1: Out, how it came up. Yeah, I mean it came about. I think Luke was trying.
Speaker 4: To do this initially, and then they started having conversations about it, and Luke said, you know, he can't do it if I wasn't involved. And then when they came to talk to me about it, I said the same thing to them. I'm like, well, I wouldn't do this if Luke wasn't involved, and they like, well, we got Luke, so we got you, and I'm like yeah. So it went from there, and then it just kind of just started moving pretty fast. And then I just wanted to make sure that the story was told from all perspectives because the people that was concerned about the ass is showing and all of that, they don't understand how young I was when Freaknick was actually popping. So my perspective of freak Nick wasn't that perspective. I ain't see all that because I wasn't able to get into the clubs and all of this type of stuff. So my perspective was I was part of the street traffic. I was out in the streets, I was dancing outside the cars, I was on p Street. I was that was a part of freak Nick, and I saw other people saw Luke got a different story than other people. So it's just really important for me to see make sure that we made you see everybody's different perspective.
Speaker 5: How much did y'all have to water to duck down because of this lame mass cancel culture.
Speaker 6: Era that week?
Speaker 1: None?
Speaker 4: Because I mean you, I feel like I feel like ultimately what people don't understand is this is black culture.
Speaker 1: Are you embarrassed by a culture? Like? Are you embarrassed that you went to an HBCU And this is how y'all act?
Speaker 4: If that, If that's how you feel, then you should just change your color of your skin, because this is that's life in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: We got four you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Where everywhere else got one, y'all got Hampton and one.
Speaker 1: We have four of them.
Speaker 4: So if you put all of that energy in one place, it's just what black culture is.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean, how did how did twenty one Savage get to be a part of it?
Speaker 2: I know that this was y'all era, you and Uncle Luke, but how did.
Speaker 1: Well twenty one?
Speaker 4: He been doing his birthday party and the theme with his birthday party is freak nick for the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: So at first I was like no, But then you know he liveing in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: He from well, I mean, you know he's not from Atlanta, but he from basically from Atlanta.
Speaker 1: So if you're from Atlanta, you've.
Speaker 4: Been you felt the repercussions of something from Freaknick at some point.
Speaker 2: You know it's crazy because you know, going to Hampton.
Speaker 3: Of course, Freaknik created so many different uh gathereries right Philly, greg Fourth to July and Virginia Jones Beach, New York City. It all started for Freaknick. But I just thought it was a party that a party that was created just for people a while out. That's what I thought it was when when you were in college, that's what you think it was. But the fact that it was created for students that didn't have any money was something. You want to break that down because I thought it was created for a whole different reason.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean that's what I'm saying a lot of people. I didn't go to college, so I can't you know what I mean, I didn't know that either. So the the person that's watching this, that's probably me that didn't go to college. Uh, that don't know nothing about that lifestyle. You know, you don't understand that these kids that come from DC or New York or.
Speaker 1: Wherever they come, Nick all the way to Atlanta.
Speaker 4: You think that they got money to just fly back home on spring break.
Speaker 1: And just back then, we didn't fly.
Speaker 2: We would drive exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's like even that's another thing that that.
Speaker 4: This documentary shows of how unmanual we are as people. Unmanual, Yeah, unmanual because we are as people because you guys.
Speaker 1: Used to drive. Now when you think you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna see four girls from New York getting a car and drive to Atlanta just to have fun, no way, never their lies.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. So it just shows you that type of stuff.
Speaker 4: And then like you know, so so you should see that freak Nick is like, oh, these were some kids that couldn't go home.
Speaker 1: They they didn't know what their spring break was gonna be.
Speaker 4: Like they watching all these white kids go to go to they on the beach and all this, and they got money. But these kids are stuck in Atlanta and ain't got no money. So they threw a picnic that turned into Freaknick. That's a that's an American black history story.
Speaker 6: Oh, people weren't afraid to be broke back then.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you have no true, no trust to be afraid.
Speaker 5: But no, nowadays people confront right, so everybody can pretend to something that you can pretend to.
Speaker 6: Have more than you got.
Speaker 5: Nobody wants to mean they just you know they I mean, well you yeah, you know, I'll be seeing these girls go to tuloom and I'm sure they sharing rooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, matter like that didn't you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: It didn't matter Like you.
Speaker 3: Would go to you know, Philly Greek or Fourth of July and Virginia and it'd be seven of us in the room and nobody thought about anything. It wasn't we broke and be like, oh you got the floor, you got the eye, you take your quick shout. But that's what it was. It was all hanging out his brothers. It didn't matter.
Speaker 1: That's why I thought it was for me.
Speaker 4: That's why as we got into it, that's why I was like, this has to come out because people, you know, we don't we don't see this in black culture. We just keep trying to make it seem like everybody got money and everybody do this and nothing. No, it was a time when none of that mattered, right, And after I liked when Jalen Rose was somebo how he got to freak Nick. He he took his cousin car or something, and it was just like, you know, as long as I get a car, I'm out, we get into freaking it. And that was the same thing with me when I was seventeen or well six, chem I had just got my first car. My first car was a Valari, a two door Valori basically probably listening don't even know what that is. But it was an ugly ass car that looked like a Pacer mixed with something else, right, And I.
Speaker 1: Ain't care what the car looked like.
Speaker 4: I just was able to drive around Atlanta while this was happening.
Speaker 1: And that's all.
Speaker 4: That's ultimately what your the goal was. Can you get into the Freakingnick? Can you get into traffic? If you're sitting at home and you can't get it, and that's when you're mad. But if you have a car, that's what all. That's all it was about.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how.
Speaker 3: They easily cancel black events. Right while you look at Daytuna Beach, you look at Miami spring Break, you look at where the white kids go for their spring break and they wild out, they get drunk, they fight, and all types of stuff, but those events never get canceled. It seemed like they tried to tame it, but they just totally canceled freaking it, which is which is crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean they had to because it was it was bad. I mean, it got to a point now and I'm not talking about the misconduct with the guys and the girls. I'm talking about just the traffic and how the city was dealing with it, because ultimately, these guys that was at their school they started something. They never talked to the people in the city, so the city had no idea what was actually happening. When it got out of control, they just start trying to control it the best way they could. But they weren't even talking to the DC Metro Club, right, So it's like at that point, it's like it's like, uh, Frankenstein, You've gone created a monster and y'all can't control this. You got the only thing you can do is shut it down at least for a second and try to see if y'all can figure out how to make it work.
Speaker 2: Did it ever come back? No, And we tried a couple of years ago. Now I don't think.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it could come back if you off people really really sit down and figure out how to make it into essence Fest, because that's basically what it should have become. It should have become the essence Fest of Atlanta, right. But the traffic part of it was that was the.
Speaker 5: Ship more than people who go to others now probably used to go to Freaking.
Speaker 1: All the black people was at Freaking.
Speaker 3: You just got to define the name because when people hear the name Freaknick, they think it's gonna be a yeah.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying we can get past that. We got Slutty Vegan now.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's too much cameras now, Yeah, but that's another thing.
Speaker 1: I think that that's That's the other thing. That's the only thing I would say.
Speaker 4: If you go to Freaknick, now, you gotta put your phone away because you have missed the girls dancing on the cars, like the fact that you was driving down the street and you were looking for everything.
Speaker 1: It's how you saw freaking it.
Speaker 4: If somebody down there doing this, you're gonna miss everything.
Speaker 1: So that's another thing you gotta you.
Speaker 4: Know, And maybe the hype of it and people saying it might make people want to see it. But I just think people are so like attached to their phones and they think everything is more important than their phone, as opposed and seeing what's happening outside.
Speaker 5: And how come nobody ever focuses on some of the women that went down there because they wanted to have a good time, Like they wanted to go out there and be loose and wild and liberated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we talked about that, Okay, we let the girls talk about that the show that they was grabbing the dudes.
Speaker 1: You know, you think Uncle.
Speaker 6: Luke's music helped hurt Freaking.
Speaker 1: I helped? You said, did it help?
Speaker 4: It helped between Uncle Luke and Social Based All Stars.
Speaker 1: That's the soundtrack of Freaknick, you know what I mean? And it was like.
Speaker 4: I think, I also think now with Miami shutting down, spring Break and all that, it's the music because the people don't You don't have nothing's making you dance, right, nothing making you jump on top of the cars. You see people doing it, but they doing it to music that don't really have that vibration. Right at Freakingnick, the girls was dancing so hard and the guys was dancing so hard.
Speaker 1: You ain't had time to be worrying about nobody beside like.
Speaker 4: It was a the energy level was just too high, right, And I just think the loop music, like I said, the social debased Allso the music was making you dance in a different space and it made you think about like you was like this and it wasn't You don't have time to be like hey niggas, No, no, you know what I mean. We ain't come down here for that. We came down here to see these girls. Let's go see these girls.
Speaker 1: It's almost like the mentality of.
Speaker 4: A man when you go to the strip club. Right, I go to strip club every week. You go to the strip club. Guys don't come in the strip club looking for niggas, right, They come in the strip club to see the girls.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: That was the mentality a freak Knick, And for some reason, that's that's kind of lost in the space that we live in now.
Speaker 1: Niggas want to go see what other nigga's wearing.
Speaker 5: Speaking of that, speaking of that, if Freak Nick did come back to day, would you wear the boss Baby outfit?
Speaker 1: You wore the super Bowl boss Baby outfit?
Speaker 6: What was it? What was what was the What was the inspiration behind that outfit? Gee?
Speaker 4: First of all, I had on a tuck seed though with shorts very similar to what.
Speaker 1: I have on to day.
Speaker 4: I have on a tie, a regular suit shirt and I got on shorts.
Speaker 6: It's very boised men.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's Vegas, right, you know what I'm saying. It's it's a super Bowl. It's the biggest event in the world. I could have went up there with the started jacking and started hat how regular nigga is that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 4: Like I'm just saying, I think sometimes people don't realize, like I'm in an entertainment business and I'm getting ready to do the biggest show of Usher's life, not in my life. I guess you want to say, We're going on the biggest stage in the world and I should be wearing a baseball cap and looking like a regular ass nigga in the streets. Nah, Nah, I don't. I mean, that's that was the thought behind it, right. So it was more or less like you know, a while ago, like enviewer Man, we started this thing called the Ocean seven, right, and it was me Usher, John ta becox All. We used to go to Vegas and we got dressed and we'd be dressed up. So I wanted to actually have a piece of that in what we was doing that, you know, we in Vegas. Like, you don't go to Usher show. I've seen you at us show. You was dressed you you know what I mean. Niggas go to his show dressed up. You don't go to Vegas with your football on.
Speaker 1: You just don't do that.
Speaker 4: Like you didn't get people talking. Basically, no, I didn't do it to get people talking. I didn't even think nobody was gonna pay no attention to it. I had on a tux seed.
Speaker 1: Though with a tip and a regular shirt. The socks strew people off.
Speaker 3: They were talking about they't they didn't care about the tuck. They were talk about the socks.
Speaker 4: They were talking about the socks, right, and the socks once again, the socks. I understand why if I keep saying something about the socks, because they do look like I guess what they say the Bobby socks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they not. They don't have nothing to do with that. They don't look nothing like that.
Speaker 4: Once you get up on the socks and they also you know, like I said, it's just I don't know, it's my man's line right.
Speaker 1: First of all, that's another thing for else.
Speaker 4: My man ain't doubt niggas man, right, I don't notice nigga. So in support of my homeboy line, I mean, I wasn't even thinking about it.
Speaker 1: You know, it just happened.
Speaker 4: But I mean, shit, listen, I put my first group out of nineteen ninety two. I'm trending in twenty twenty four. Yeah, y'all can say whatever you want to say.
Speaker 6: They'll got number one records.
Speaker 5: What did User's Super Bowl halftime performance mean to you?
Speaker 1: Everything?
Speaker 6: As the architect, really, if we're being honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything. It means everything because when we made My.
Speaker 4: Way, the discussion, the discussion that he and I had making that record was that he.
Speaker 1: Wanted to get to that space.
Speaker 4: He wanted to and when he once he got to that space, he wanted people to realize he did it his way. That's how that whole album came about. So for me to be in that seat and watch it go from My Way to this, I probably was the most proud. And then at the same time, I mean, you know, he did six of my songs on Super Bowl. It's like, you know, it's not a bunch of bugs that could say crazy. They had six of these songs performed on Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I argue with somebody up here the other day when when they heard Confessions, right, younger person and they were like, yeah, he wrote Confession. I was like, you know, Confessions was about Jaine Dupre that Jamine Dupre wrote that that's factual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so yeah, So I mean I wrote you Make Me.
Speaker 1: Want to, I wrote my Way, I wrote Nice and Slow.
Speaker 4: I wrote Confessions. I wrote you Got It Bad, I wrote my Boo. I wrote all these songs. I mean, you know, people be like breaking it down when they talk about it, and they say Confessions, but nice and Slow, all these songs I wrote, you know what I mean, Like, so it's just the story of Confessions. I think took over and it was like I was that guy. I was the person that was in that position.
Speaker 3: But it happened right when he broke up with Chili. So people were just assumed that he was writing it about Chili.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was your story, yeah for something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean even when writing there, I didn't think about I wouldn't even think about that. You know, you just go to the studio, you write songs, it's not even about I mean, sometimes you have a motive behind it.
Speaker 1: But we was trying to just follow up. I know, I was. I was trying to follow up. You got it back.
Speaker 4: It just came off eighty seven to one, and it was a big album, So it was like, what y'all gonna do this time?
Speaker 6: Is usually the biggest jewel in your crown? The biggest what the biggest jewel in your crown?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean Mariah Carey song Song of the Decade.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that Pasion was a monster.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. There's a couple in there. I mean, he's definitely. Well, let me say this.
Speaker 4: Rolling Stone said that Russia's is the I mean Confessions is the R and B the number one R and B record of this twenty first century, right or twentieth century, whatever it is, twenty first century. So I mean, if that's the if that's a true statement, then I guess so. I mean that's a big record. That's a big statement.
Speaker 5: Do you think Atlanta as a whole is getting documented properly?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: That's why another reason why I want to make sure that this documentary gets the stage that is on shout out to Hulu Disney mass Appeal for actually allowing us to finally tell our story on this stage, because just the first story from the South that's ever been told. And when I say that, I said that south by Southwestern people was like what And I'm like, what's the what's in Atlanta story that you know?
Speaker 1: What's the Southern story that you know? You from the South?
Speaker 4: What what stories do we have that people know about the South? Besides at l is not a story of of the South, of the South riseing the culture hip hop. This is the first time that we get a story about our culture and how outcast popped?
Speaker 1: How why you know, social death? Oh damn? Why Luke said bank head and scarred? What was the reason for that? Like you ain't never wondered?
Speaker 4: Like he from Miami he talking about bank head bounce, Like why he was saying that Freaknick, Freaknick.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And this is the first time that, like I said, the South gets set that look, I mean we was never we was. I think Hollywood never felt like our stories was important.
Speaker 3: If Freaknick never happened, woul Atlanta music blow up as fast as it did.
Speaker 4: No, because what's that little thing with the you know when when when you put the little roach trap down and the roaches get in there and they go back to the they yeah, ray, but it's a little trap and they take the food back to that. That's what Freaknick was for the South. People from Virginia, people from New York, people from Baltimore, people from DC, people from everywhere came to Atlanta. The DJs in Atlanta was playing bass music, so so that based all stars Luke Skywalker, blah blah blah blah. Kids went back to their hoods saying, Yo, we was in Atlanta. This is the new shit they playing Atlanta. Well, this is the shit that was we was doing in Freaknik. Or they somebody saw the video and that's why the music spread that way, right, That's why it spread it in so many places, because these people took it back home as if they had discovered some new thing that wasn't happening in the house in their neighborhoods. And at that point, if you take it to you know, if five hundred people go back to Virginia with the same mentality and it spread, then Virginia starts sounding like Atlanta, right or whatever. That's you know, so, no, it wouldn't. I think Freaknick was definitely our mixtape, you know what I mean. Freaknick was our mixtape that made people say, oh, there's some shit going on down there.
Speaker 1: It's some you know what I mean. So that's definitely it.
Speaker 4: We I don't know what would have happened if we, you know, it would have been a slower pace.
Speaker 3: How bad was it when the labels it seemed like, you know, watching the doc I seen Craig Mac performing, I've seen Biggie performing. How bad was it when the label started touching Freak nigg it commercialize it to make it worse?
Speaker 2: Not at all, No, it was all good.
Speaker 4: I think that was in People Park, So you know that scene when I'm showing you when I'm talking, I'm standing in the parking.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 1: That was the park stuff, and that was the concerts.
Speaker 4: Actually was helping because all these black people in the park smoking weed, drinking, doing whatever they want to do. Because if nobody was governing this right, it was just you know, y'all niggas want to go do.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. That's how the city was open to it.
Speaker 4: So they was just out there, and we never was nobody was scared about violence. Wasn't nobody thinking about somebody pulling out a gun or anything, but that could have happened. So to give music and put music out there, and then put artists on the shows that just from the South definitely helped because then people from the North or whatever west coast they came and they was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, snoop, here this person, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you start feeling even more comfortable amongst all of these people.
Speaker 5: And now you're about to turn around and do the Magic City document series, right, Yeah, Magic City in American fantasy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what it's about.
Speaker 4: But it's also the same thing as a story about Magic City. That that that I don't think people know, Like, the story of Magic City is so much more deeper than just a strip club, right, and how Magic figured out a way to make this one club.
Speaker 1: A worldwide situation, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And then people always keep saying they like, why is Drake and Bob Because Drake it's from a different country and he wants to come to.
Speaker 1: A little bitty strip club in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: That's crazy, right that that I don't even know how you're supposed to think about that because I'm not from a different country. But I'm saying that being a different country. We in the United States, I don't want to go to.
Speaker 1: Ain't nothing.
Speaker 4: I heard nothing about nothing in Canada that make me want to fly there on a Monday and be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Right this place?
Speaker 4: Is that crazy that it's made people in Toronto want to come to.
Speaker 1: Atlanta on Monday. I think you have to hear about this.
Speaker 4: So it's just like I said, it's just highlighting things that happened in the South that we haven't we haven't had an opportunity.
Speaker 5: So what helped elevate the Atlanta music scene more freaknik in Magic City?
Speaker 1: Freaknik?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, because you always hear about records breaking in Magic City?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, well, I think and that was after the fact that by the way, that's me saying that. That was that was something that I talked about. And once again, like I said, you got to remember, I wasn't in the clubs in eighty eighty two, eighty three, eighty four. I couldn't get in no clubs. So I wasn't even making music in eighty four. But so even in ninety two when Chris came out. I still I was only nineteen. I still couldn't even get into Magic City. So that that period where I felt like the strip club became the mixtape was a later nineties activity. Before that, Freak Nick was running the show.
Speaker 6: Damn, I saw you. I think it was with Gail King and Carrie Champion and all them.
Speaker 5: You were talking about how if you if a woman couldn't understand you being in the script club, she wasn't the woman for you. Yeah, so that was a deal break off the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm saying, like, I'm gonna use you just as an example. If me and Jess was talking and she came to Atlanta and I said we're going to Magic City tonight, and she was like, well, you know, I don't really fuck with no strip clubs. At that point, you you have broke our synergy. You flew to Atlanta to stay at my house while I go party with my homeboys. Now when you went, But I'm saying, but when I go to the strip club as a woman, her mind's gonna start doing this.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I asked you to come with me so that your mind wouldn't do that. But you want to stay at home and wait till I get back, and then come back, possibly smelling like a strip club.
Speaker 6: The questions.
Speaker 1: Then were gonna have a beef? You fucked it up from the jump? Oh, I fuck it up by allowing you to just stay at home. I should have just made you come.
Speaker 4: So I'm just saying, ultimately, if this is part of your life, this is part of my life. So if you're gonna fuck with me, you gotta know that that's happening. That's gonna happen, right. It's interesting. When I was dating Janet, I try to not take her. I was, but I fought it for the longest. I wasn't in the space mindset that I'm in right now. Because I didn't. I wasn't paying attention to it. Like the way I'm telling you. I was thinking like, oh, if I take her in, and when of them girls gonna tap me on my shoulder that I haven't been with and she gonna know, And then I was thinking about all the bullshit. Yeah, nah, if this is what you do, what you did in your past is your past. I'm with you now. Let me see what's happening. Why you want to go there every Monday. That's what her question was, Fuck it, let's go.
Speaker 6: Did she understand after she went why you wanted to be there every Monday?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Of course.
Speaker 2: Now when does JD get to tell his story?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Because there's so many, so many, I would say, people in the industry that are successful from the JD tree, Right, we can go back from of course Little John and school to Braun and we can go to you know, across Usher and the stuff you did with Mariah. You can go to myself and Neil who manages Rice and Tyler. A lot of people don't know that story. So when does JD create that story and goes through it so people can understand what you've did, what you produced, the artists you've broken, the executives and talent that you created.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the freak nick Dot helps that get helps me get into that space because you know, for the longest, the South has been ignored. It's just what it is, and I'm part of I'm part of that cloth that's been ignored. You gotta think at nineteen I put out my first group that everybody knows, and I wrote and produced every line in every beat in the music. At nineteen, if a person and they first single was a number one, top one hundred.
Speaker 1: Single, right, Kris Krust.
Speaker 4: If that was sports like football and basketball, they'd call me a freaking nature right. But the fact that it was the South, they treated us like we weren't even hip hop, like, oh, that's.
Speaker 1: Some gimmick shit, like that ain't real hip hop.
Speaker 4: So then it made people ignore the fact that I'm the person who ushered in young people rapping. If it wasn't for them, you, as a young person, you wouldn't even know that it was possible that you could have a record.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: Who else has come out out since Bow Wow that you know, bow was the only other person that did it, and I put him out. So I'm just saying it's the stories have been ignored, so somebody, you know, at least we get one story, and we got two stories hopefully that you know from that, it'll it'll it'll get into that space so you can actually see it and then people won't have this misconception about what they have about me.
Speaker 5: Michael michael By said, you got the whole backwards thing from from him, the whole backwards clothes actually he said, he said.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it from him.
Speaker 4: But BBD was in a space where they was doing things right, and they were they I think they had their pants inside out. That's what because I say that in the song because inside out ABC was wearing they clothes inside out. So the day that I told Chris to put his jump on backwards, that's what I was thinking about. I'm like, they got they clothes on inside out. Maybe you should turn yours around. I never saw BBD do it, and I and I and I spoke to Mike because he got on his cover of his I think, do me baby, he got a dB a bb D jacket on that I thought was a leather pullover and he's like, nah, I have my jacket on back. So we had a conversation about it. But I didn't I didn't actually know. We never had.
Speaker 1: I never knew that that's what was happening.
Speaker 5: And you know, when people talk about you too, JD, they got to talk about the fact that Mace thanks you for being the first person to pay him is worth. You introduced Biggie, you know, to a land in a lot of ways, and so who so who knows how that inspired him and j Z with with money anything was it was an introduction to the South in a lot of ways.
Speaker 6: So you got to get credit for that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, but that's what I'm saying. It's like, like I said, it's been ignored. I mean, that's all. That's all you could do. Like I said, if you was, if if I was in New York, I'd be the king. It's no, it's no way. I mean, even like today, you don't know a person y'all. Don't have a person that can come up here this year that had his first number one record in nineteen ninety two and got a record that's number one today. You'll never you won't see nobody else come up here to this station this year.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's actually true.
Speaker 1: You won't know, not this year.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't even probably wan't to have next year either. But I'm saying no, my first number one record was in nineteen ninety two. I have the number one R and B record in the country today.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's the media, because even when you look at it, you were born in Atlanta's run has been longer than everybody too.
Speaker 4: My run has been longer than everybody. That's that's what I'm saying. That's I think that's another thing, like when people say Atlanta's run, Yeah, Atlanta's run, but my run I don't, and I don't. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm a cocky person, but I don't be one to just like, hey, you know what I mean. I represent the city, so I let the whole city get the splash for it.
Speaker 1: But my run has been longer than anybody.
Speaker 6: If you don't tell your story, JD, nobody else is.
Speaker 1: No. I'm gonna tell it. You believe me.
Speaker 4: That's why it's important that you watch Freak Nick on Thursday. Y'all run them streams up at Hulu, so that Hulu calls me and says, hey, we need your story.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Social Deft too write how you relaunch your social death.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: As far as label for artists you have or you're looking for artists, I know you got to go, but are you looking for artists?
Speaker 2: And are you putting the sign back up in Atlanta?
Speaker 1: And that says, oh, yeah, I'm putting a sign back up.
Speaker 4: I'm going if I'm supposed to say this, but anyway I can say, I'm gonna say it anyway. You know, BMF comes to Atlanta or they're in Atlanta right now. And you'll see in the BMF series that the sign goes back up. And at that point when that happened, I was like, Okay, you know, as many niggas watch this, I'm I'm gonna have to put this sign back up because you know what I mean. So now we're gonna put it back up on an artist tip. I'm looking for new artists. It's just my you know's, That's what I wanted. I wanted a space for me to continue to keep putting out new artists. I love putting out new artists. I'm not scared to put out new artists, and I don't think nobody else could do it better than me.
Speaker 6: When you paid Mace what he was worth, did you do that just the upstated.
Speaker 1: He No, I don't you know. When I pay people, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know that I'm paying them more than you know. I don't I don't know that that's you know. I don't have that conversation. I I just go after what I want, like if you so, if I wanted, you know, when I signed, Harlem wore I wanted to make the deal because Mace kept telling everybody in every interview that he did that he came to Atlanta to meet with me, right, So I actually felt like I fucked up, Right, So I felt like, damn, I fucked up and I missed this nigga Mason. He out here killing it. So I'm like, you know what, let's make this deal. And he told me what he wanted to do, and I didn't think about it twice. I just was like, let's do the deal. I ain't know I was giving him more money than he was. You know, I never knew that.
Speaker 2: They have it. Ladies and gentlemen, you main't freak Nick this Thursday and appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Brough Congratulations money Long.
Speaker 4: Let me say this, she might be watching Congratulations Money Long. Number one record. It's an R and B song, no rap, number one urban record in the country.
Speaker 2: It's Jumaine dupre Yeah, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Wake that.
Speaker 1: Ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club.