Speaker 1: Hey, everybody.
Speaker 2: Wow, this season has been so great and I'm very proud to say we have been number one in nonprofit podcasts all season. I'm telling you that means so much to me and everybody here at six degrees dot org that so many of you are tuning in to listen to us talk to change makers and doing great work and some really meaningful stuff. I just want to thank you all for your warm reception. And also, you know, people have reached out to me or have stopped me on the street or you know, and talked about something that they've learned or experienced or been touched by with a podcast, and that means the world to us. So this is the first time now that we're going to try doing something a little different. We put out a request on our socials a few weeks ago and asked you all to leave me a voicemail with your comment events and questions about uh, you know, about well almost anything. I mean, it's been really fun. It's really fun here in your messages on my voicemail and reading them in my inbox. So keep them coming, folks, please, and let's stay connected. I'm glad you're here. All right, Here we go Stacey Houston, who runs six degrees dot Org, has joined us once before in our Giving Tuesday episode. Hi Stace, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Good to be here.
Speaker 2: keV yep, good to see you. So here we are with the ask anything feature. Should I be scared?
Speaker 3: I mean, we definitely did some filtering, but no.
Speaker 4: For the most part, these these questions were pretty pretty tame, just a couple wanting you to marry them, but most very interested in the work and your music and your career. So it's yeah, it's been so much fun.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, cool, Okay, well, what do we do far away?
Speaker 1: Give me a question?
Speaker 4: So our first question is from Amelia Heapner. I love this question, and part of it is because my husband Danny this is his favorite film of yours.
Speaker 3: So we haven't.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's like exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm like, hold it together. It does say a lot about him though, for this film. I'm like, oh, this is your favorite. Okay, that's great. It's a lot of people's favorites. And her question is has your opinion on the movie Tremor's changed over time and how do you feel about the popularity that has gained over the years.
Speaker 3: Because it's definitely like a cult following, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, it's and it's Yeah. Has my opinion about it changed well, I think in a way, yeah, it kind of has, because honestly, when I took the movie, I was in a very low point in my career and a low point in terms of there was a lot of stuff just kind of going on personally that I was feeling a lot of sort of pressure around. My wife had just gotten pregnant with our first child with Travis, and my mother had been diagnosed with cancer, and I was felt like we were running out of money and had all this kind of responsibility and all this stuff going on. And I remember, while I really liked the script, I thought to myself, this is a pretty risky thing because this is a movie about underground worms, and it's just kind of scary and sort of funny and silly, and I don't know, this just seems like this could be a disaster, you know. And but I so I had a lot of doubts about it and a lot of kind of fear about making the movie. I loved making it. We were up in Lone Pine, California. Have you ever driven through Long Pine stace you probably have.
Speaker 4: I haven't really unless is it kind of like the is it the same as a trail all one hundred giants like the big trees or no.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 2: It's about three and a half hours of three hours north of LA but sort of inland, not on the coast, and it's a really cool little town. It's been beautiful rock formations and stuff that they used for old Westerns and shot stuff up there in Hollywood. It was a tiny little town. They built that town the you know, the perfection, the tremors town out in the middle of the desert. My wife was at that point nine months pregnant and driving down to Los Angeles for her you know, doctor's appointments because there was no hospital up there, so we were really terrified that she was going to go into labor while we were While we were doing it, they had a uh I think about an hour away or something. There was a midwife, but that was the closest that we could we could get. So that was everything was just kind of like intensified in my life and the whole thing. Uh I had a great time making the movie. Unfortunately, when the movie came out, it just didn't people just didn't go. I don't think that they did a great job of marketing it, as you know. What I've learned over the years is that scary funny is oftentimes a tough thing for people to get their heads around. It's getting better, like now, there's been you know, a bunch of movies that have kind of been able to you know, work.
Speaker 1: That both both of those ideas together.
Speaker 2: But although it was huge on video, and this is back in the days of Blockbuster, so nobody went to the theater to watch it, but a lot of people rented it, and to the point where they made part two and three, and four, and five and six, seven, eight nine, They just kept making them.
Speaker 4: I remember walking to Blockbuster and picking out a movie every Friday. Really yeah, it's like surreal that my kids will never have that, you know kind of memory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was to pick their own video, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in the kids section, you know, And yeah, I remember doing that with my kids. It really was. It was a it was interesting. I mean, listen, that's great, you know whatever, streaming, you know, it's everything these days is at our fingertips. But and I never would have thought at the time, this is an experience that we'll ever never well we will someday, not have I just wouldn't have thought that. The idea of going and getting this tape and bringing it home, Oh my gosh. And you remember trying to like record things on tape on TV, like so tis nightmare, total nightmare.
Speaker 1: Well that would be your parents trying to do that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Here's a funny story.
Speaker 4: I'm digitalizing all my family home videos now, and there'll be like a birthday party when I'm six, and then all of a sudden, we'll cut to some like crappy opening of an HBO Sunday Night movie like the do you remember like the the be through the drone going over the town that looked like beetlejuice used to be the opening credits, And I'm like, did you just cut off my birthday song?
Speaker 3: At six?
Speaker 4: So for like teen Witch, which also I appreciate because that's why I love the movie, because I watched it even though the lines digged across the street and every time we put it in the VCR.
Speaker 3: But well, my kids will never know or appreciate.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, It's true. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Blockbuster was definitely was definitely a thing. Well, we were up in the Sticks when we first got married, and there was no Blockbuster. There was a tiny, little small town video store and their selection was not great, to say the least. And there was a woman who was a pretty tough cookie who ran the video store, and she would would make decisions about what we were renting and whether or not it was appropriate and tell us, I don't think so, dear, I don't think you'll want that one. Dear No, No, I hope you're not showing that to the kids, Dear No, this was just for us. Okay, okay, good luck with that one. I mean really, like literally she was constantly doing her own you know, reviews of of of what was appropriate for us to not only for us to watch, but but you know for the kids too. So ah, yes, those are the days. But yeah, yeah, that was a big That was a big Blockbuster hit, and now it's a hit with Danny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's right, full circle. So it was kind of beneath perfection, but to some people it is perfection, right, right, that's the riff that most people don't know about if they haven't gone to one of your shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true. The movie was called Beneath Perfection originally, and one of my prize possessions is my.
Speaker 1: Crew jacket.
Speaker 2: It's an old, you know, nineties Levi's jacket worn in and on the back of it it says Beneath Perfection. You know, for those of you that don't know, sometimes when you're making films or television shows, you know, they create a piece of what we call swag hat or jackets or shirts or whatever that you can keep after the movie is over that has the name of the movie on it. And so I have the jacket and I wrote a song while we were doing the movie called Beneath Perfection because I thought it was a good title for a song. And my brother and I have always written songs to try to put them into movies, which never happens.
Speaker 1: We're just.
Speaker 2: Never successful with that, and this was no exception. But we still play the song and we.
Speaker 1: Like the song. It's fun to play. Yeah, it's called Beneath Perfection.
Speaker 4: And then people like me try to get those jackets later on and auction them for charity and that's really funky.
Speaker 3: Watch out even you just let me in on a secret.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually, we've never talked about that. I do have some stuff that we definitely could you know, we definitely could try to a definitely. Yeah, well, I got boxes, I got boxes of you know, I don't keep. You know, there's people that keep a lot of things from movies.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I've heard that Robert de Niro keeps like a prop or all of his props or something, and as a giant warehouse of props, which you know, I've always thought was kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: But it's funny.
Speaker 2: I have this thing where when I finished something, like I'm done with it, Like I don't want to hold on to like the character or the memory or any of it. I just I'm ready to like kiss that character goodbye and move on to the next thing. So I really have I don't have that much, but I do have have the one thing I sometimes keep, or the crew jackets or the crew T shirts or whatever.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's reasonable.
Speaker 4: You've done some dark characters too, so probably probably good to walk away from them.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, you're totally right about that.
Speaker 4: This next question is actually a sound bait, so that's really fun. People can rate in, or they can go to our website and they can record a voicemail and this is from Angeline.
Speaker 3: She thus all the way from down Under.
Speaker 5: Hi Kevin. My name is Angelaine and I've been a huge fan of you pretty much since Footloose. You've got such a huge fan base in Australia and I'm just wondering why you've never really come to Australia to films or even toured with the Bacon Brothers. I actually had to come all the way to New York to see you and the Baker Brothers play back in two thousand and six at the bb.
Speaker 1: King Blues Club.
Speaker 5: Highlight of my life. I have to say. My husband has also told me that I've never he's never seen me smile so much when I was seeing you and your brother play. So just hoping you can come to Australia one day, and just wondering when are you going to bring here and the kids? Thanks Kevin Finn.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you. Actually, first off, let me just say thank you to you and to Australia. I actually love I'll start with just I love hearing the way you speak. It's just so good. I wish I could do an Australian accent. I really can. I've never been asked to do one, so I've never really had to work on it. But it's it's just it's it's it's just music to my ears. And wow, you came all the way to New York to see us play. That is a long trip. Thank you. Thank you for being such a fan of the Bacon Brothers and of you know, the work that I've done. You know, I have been to Australia a couple of times, but it's been many, many years, and I loved it when I was there.
Speaker 1: I didn't get a.
Speaker 2: Chance really to travel all across the country. It's not that I have anything against going to that country. I'm really I would really love to do it. And we've often spoken as a family about that as a place to visit, and it would be really fun to go and do a little tour with the band. So that is definitely something that is on the list of things to do, often known as the bucket list.
Speaker 1: I would love to I would love to be there.
Speaker 2: I have some very close Australian friends and it would be really fun to come down and see them as well and just have a little hang.
Speaker 3: How long is that flight?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, is it eighteen hours?
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been.
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 4: It's also on the bucket list in New Zealand. But yeah, that's a commitment. You know, I have little kids, so we're gonna have to wait until they're a little bit, a little bit older for that trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I did a movie in New Zealand called Whitewater Summer. We did some shooting down there, and the reason that we so we had to stop, we stopped in Australia, and that's why I ended up up, you know, hanging out in Sydney for like a I don't know, four or five days.
Speaker 1: But both both spots are.
Speaker 2: Absolutely just beautiful and interesting, and you know, you kind of we kind of have this kind of mistakenly, you know, think of them as right next to each other, and they're.
Speaker 1: Pretty far apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, I mean they're really very far apart. But but yeah, I've you know, and there's a lot of stuff that gets shot down in Australia, you know, filming wise, but it's just never it's just never come my way. So I definitely want to I definitely want to go.
Speaker 4: Got to work on that accent, Yeah, exactly, we call the one thing that Kevin Bacon can't do.
Speaker 2: No, there's plenty of things Kevin Bacon can't do, but that that is a that's a hard one for sure.
Speaker 4: All Right, so we have time for one more, Okay, and this is actually a really great one as well. We got a letter from Dealina Cain and she said, I'm a big supporter of Sidewalk Angels created by Rob and Mayor Saul Thomas from their charity I found Tabby's Place. I would love for you to feature each of these organizations on your podcast. And thanks for all you do. Well, thank you, Delina. That's very sweet.
Speaker 3: Have you met Rob?
Speaker 2: Wow? If I met Rob Thomas Rob Thomas Matchbox twenty, I don't think so. I don't think so. I don't have a memory of meeting him. Of course I know the music very well, and you know he's a great, great singer. But that's cool that they have this, that they have this, this foundation, Sidewalk Agents, this is a this is an animal thing, right yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They so they really support other no kill animal shelters and like animal rescues. I think I was reading that they support over twenty no kill animal shelters and rescue across the whole country, so kind of much amazing.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It is, and he actually leans into his celebrity and his talent of seeing. And it looks like they do kind of like an annual concert benefit every year to help fundraise, and then that money goes directly to the shelters to kind of help, you know, rehome animals and Spade and Newter and helping to teach children kindness and compassion through the animals. All kinds of really really cool things.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great. We actually just we have I didn't think I even told you this. We have three new goats at the farm who were you know, they were in a you know, not a great situation and probably on their way to auction. Uh and uh so they're they're with us now.
Speaker 3: Another couple of goats uh.
Speaker 1: More got poop. Uh.
Speaker 2: We haven't named them yet, but I'm thinking I'm thinking about many Moe and Jack. But a lot of people don't know what that is Manny Mow and Jack with the pet.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I was gonna say that, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: P that's that's Moe and shep and Curly, which is my second my second choice. Actually, I don't even know if I'm going to be naming these goats. But anyway, that's cool that Rob Thomas is doing that. And you know, we had Amanda Seyford who was you know, was also on the show right on the podcast who it was best Friends, which is another no kill shelter. But this is really amazing twenty twenty. All of I wonder where they are?
Speaker 1: Are they are? They just kind of spread out, they are.
Speaker 4: They're spread out all across the country. And Delina who wrote in, she said she had found Tabby's Place through them, and Tabby's Place is actually local to New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So Tabby's Place is one of the ones that's associated Sidewalk Angels exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: That Helpston benefits from the funding that they raise every and so if anybody is interested in learning more about this awesome organization, they can head over to Sidewalkangelsfoundation dot org. There's lots of information about how they raise really critical funds to support.
Speaker 3: These animals, and.
Speaker 4: You really that they rely on the generosity of you all and our listeners.
Speaker 3: So we hope you check them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check them out. I'm going to check them out right now now. If you want to ask me a question, or you can ask Stacy a question too, by the way, because Stacy, you're all in with me on this, right, Yeah, you're willing to feel the questions, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, Rod, If you want to ask either one of us a question about almost anything, you can head to our show notes for the link, leave me a voicemail, or you can send a DM to us at six degrees of KB on Instagram and links for that will be in our show notes as well. I'd love to hear from you. You know, we're I mean, aside from proposals for marriage, you know, we're open to discussing anything for sure. All Right, Thanks everybody, Thanks Daisy, see you next week.
Speaker 4: If you are inspired by today's episode, please join us in supporting six degrees dot org by texting the word bacon to seven zero seven zero seven zero. Your gift empowers us to continue to produce programs that highlight the incredible work of everyday heroes, well also enabling us to provide essential resources to those that need it the most.
Speaker 3: Once again, text b a co n to
Speaker 4: Seven zero seven zero seven zero or visit six degrees dot org to learn more.