Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Welcome back to another episode of Buco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah Hyle's joining me as always are my co hosts, Platinum Ky Aka Mark and Josh Harrison. No need to bury the lead here. Things are not going well for the Pittsburgh Pirates. After a very underwhelming, disappointing home stand, they go to Cincinnati, and while they avoided a four game sweep, it feels like things pretty much couldn't have gone worse for them in that road trip as far as injuries, as far as key players performances, as far as overall results. It was a disaster. We're gonna talk about that. We're gonna talk about probably their biggest disappointment of that series. His name is Paul Skeins. And then we will wrap it up with Platinum Keys Key of the Week, which we talked about on every Monday show. Happy Trade Deadline Day, guys. So an exciting one, right, so let's get right into it. The Pirates go to Cincinnati. They lose three of four. Two of their first losses were incredibly winnable baseball games, just very dejecting. I would argue Saturday's loss might have been the worst Pirates loss I've seen, I can't tell you, and how long like it, like it literally might be their most dejecting like Pirates loss I've witnessed since Josh was on the team and the games actually mattered, you know, like that's it's been that far back. Mark. We'll start with you just as a fan man, I mean, take us through it. It just what is the most aside from schemes, who will get to what was the most dejecting thing from this weekend for you?
Speaker 2: The Rhino Hearn injury. Absolutely that rhyano Hearn's such a leader on this team and contribute so so much. To lose one of your best bats, a guy who has just been driving in runs all year. That stung, Like this Red Series sucked. But that's three losses. You can move on. It's baseball. There's one hundred and fifty plus more games to go, like in a season. But losing Ryan O'Hearn for six to eight weeks for essentially the rest of the regular season, that's a gut punch. The only benefit I see is that at least it happened before today Monday of the tread date trade deadline so that the Pirates can go out and possibly get like a right handed bat to address that injury. A bit ironic that we were just talking about as Marillian Valdez who we thought might be out, and we listed off right handed bats like Taylor Ward and Joe Adell as trade targets, and now those guys are still trade targets, just for a different replacement. So yeah, the Ryan O'Hearn injury to me was probably the biggest loss or like biggest negative of the series outside of schemes looking not great.
Speaker 3: What about you, Josh, Yeah, obviously you know O'Hearn is a big gut punch, as you mentioned, given what he's done so far as you know for this team, stepping in and you know, being one of the better offenses is one of your better hitters. So that's definitely a gut punch. To not be missing, you know, for like ten days, to be missing for that substantial amount of time definitely sucks. But to not say the same thing as you, I'm gonna say, losing winnable games and I don't want to continue to sit here and be like oh, but at the same time, like winnable games means there's something that is not allowing you to finish games. We're not talking about this is baseball. They got a bloop, they got a dribbler, right, these are winnable games or like something and somebody's control could have caused that outcome to be, you know, in a pirates favor. And you know, you can deal with giving up pitch, you can deal with, you know, things not going your way, but when you're not taking care of the ball, you're not really giving yourself a chance. And defense for me was one of the things that you know, I spoke on earlier in the season that I didn't want to be the biggest disappointment in not saying it's the biggest disappointment, but in these moments where you're going through the skid. I think they're three and seven in the last ten. Your your guy Paul Schemes, not only is he not pitching well, the team overall isn't playing well. You got injuries. You cannot afford to have series or games that you are able to win and fumble the ball and allow teams to to you know, pretty much still not one. A couple from up under you and me those don't sit well because there's something that could have been done. Injuries are something that you really can't prevent. But yes, the injury is definitely a gut punch because that's somebody that you really need. But you know, losing winnable games at some point, it's got to be done with losing those games. You know, it's early part of the season. Okay, we have to yeah, okay, we went through our little struggles, but you're down to the final with less than sixty games. There's no time for those type of mistakes. And that is a part that that I mean, I feel like we've said this every other week, and it is obviously going to show up at these times because you're nearing the end of the season, your trade deadline. But by that time you would hope to, you know, clean up all the issues that you have or you're gonna address it through the trade deadline. But the way those winnable games, that's not really addressa but the trade deadline. That's got to be done in the clubhouse, and that's just attention to detail and focus.
Speaker 1: You lost your first two games of this series because people who are playing positions they have no business is playing made wrong decisions and high pressure situations. That's just what it is, yep. And I think that's a product of a few things. I mean, one, it's a product of injury in a way, right, Like if Connor Griffin is at shortstop, probably something a little different happens on the Friday, the Thursday night loss maybe, But like the bigger thing is just like we said it all, Like Nicknzalez has been one of the best hitters in the National League as far as pure hitting is concerned, but he is not a third baseman. And that's a very tough position to play. And it just goes to show when you play people out of position and you have these high pressure situations and all eyes are on you, it's like the stadium pulse and NCAA like the controller shaking the heartbeat. Like that's That's the thing that baseball players will always say is like being able to control you're breathing your heart breath, Like when the game speeds up on you, how do you react. And we've just seen it so many times defensively with this team, where the game just speeds up on it. It looks like and I'm not trying to like demean professional athletes. I understand how hard this game is to play at that level. I don't fully understand because I didn't do it, but like I comprehend the difficulty of which they're playing this sport. But at the same time, these are mistakes that you make in high school baseball. That is something I would see covering the Whipio playoffs, and a kid who's like a sophomore make that play throw to second base, and that's just inexcusable major League baseball that you cannot blame a coach on that. That is just something where it's like anyone who's watched baseball just knows, throw the ball to first base. There man throw the ball to first base and Brandon Low's got to catch it. But at the same time, I can't blame Brandon Low a ton for that. But it's just how many games have they lost because of things like that? How many Paul Skeen starts have been ruined because of things like that or other things? And you look back, so who do you blame. Do you blame the guy who built the team or do you blame the budget that he had to work with where he couldn't go out and get certain players at certain positions, they take whoever the hell they could get, and whoever the hell they could get was a whole bunch of left handed power hitters who all played on the right side of the infield or the right side of the outfield or designated hitter, and they had a whole bunch of the same thing. And they've tried their best to make it work. But in reality, you're not going to survive a season with a third of your lineup at minimum playing out of position every single day. And then when guys get injured, you have more guys playing out a position every single day. And that's the one thing I mean, I hate when people bitch about it analytics, because analytics, at the end of the day, all it is is information, and information should go into every decision you make, whether if you're buying a car, if you're buying toothpaste, or if you're buying a major league baseball player. You should use the most information you have at your disposal to make an informed, accurate decision. But at the same time, some things that analytics don't account for is a guy's heartbeat playing a position and against the division rival in the bottom of the eighth inning, in a game that they have to win, what is he going to do? And in that instance, for lack of a better term, and I apologize for the blunt way to put it, he pissed down his leg. That's what happened. And that's very unfortunate for the Pittsburgh Pirates because you follow that up by your leader, your clubhouse suffering probably a season ending injury. Where do you go from there? And it's just stuff like that where it's like Nick Gonzalez should not be playing third base. They have to play them at third base because they couldn't find a way to get a third baseman to come to Pittsburgh this year. And that's on Ben Cherrington, that's on Bob Nudding, that's whoever. But at the same time Nick and he also has been playing third base all year, right, make a play man. So there's so many, so much blame to go around. It's baseball, and it's just immensely disappointing to watch. It's disappointing to watch Mitch Keller, Bryan freaking Hayes, it's a it's embarrassing to watch this starting rotation who puffed his chest out and talked all offseason about how it was gonna blow doors and how it's gonna get Yeah, and not one of them has been as good as advertised this year, aside from the guy who they refuse to let actually help their team more than just five to six innings, and he's only been good for like a month, by the way, but he's still been their best starting pitcher this year. Him are their all star who can't keep it together consistently anymore, And then you just look at the fielding. The offense also has had maybe two games in the last two weeks where it's done its job. And I get that it's banged up, but man, I mean, maybe you shouldn't have put so much faith in the in the twenty two year old. Yeah who Yeah, he went scorched earth, But how long was that gonna last? I think we found the answer to that.
Speaker 2: And how much can he do when there's only four hits on the entire day by the team?
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, they're they're behm.
Speaker 1: I will say this their schedule, I mean besides yeah, besides the next four days where they're playing the Milwaukee Brewers, and that just seems like we're gonna see a position player on the mound at least twice that series. Based off the way this is trending, it's like it doesn't get easier altogether. But I will say like it's definitely easier than what they've gone through when you look over it. But it's like, can they recover? I don't know if if they did, it would be the most unpirates thing I've seen them do in a long time, because it just feels like the wheels have fallen off here. And that's the one thing that I will give this team credit for is that they never allowed things to snowball. They've never been two games below five hundred. While they've never been able to stack wins, they've never allowed it to spiral out of control. I'm looking at here. I don't see how this doesn't spiral. I just don't. Between the injuries, between the four games that they have coming up here, man, I mean that that Reds team was dead. That Reds team has no heart, no soul. Half that roster is not even gonna be on that team tomorrow.
Speaker 2: The broadcast was on Hugwatch for them, Yeah yeah, and they just there.
Speaker 3: It's gonna have to change attention to detail people playing out a position which we knew coming into the season. As you said, still big leaguers, you gotta know where you're going with the ball. You gotta know the situation. Even in that situation, Low you know, covering second, might not have been ready for the throw just because.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh, he can't throw this to me.
Speaker 3: A little bit of focus of still expect to throw, Nick Gonzales, Yes, you should be going to first even if you committed, you know what, put yourself in episode you're covering second base and you're not there. You don't want to throw coming when you're that far away. But as you said, things speed up. But man, we're here at this point in season. There's no more excuses because when you know you got guys out of position, you need to hone in on the routine plays, plays like that, hey in this situation. Granted, the only way you learn, honestly is in those situations. But that's why you have to have that much more attention to detail and focus when you're going through the drill work, when you're taking your ground balls and you know, doing situational work to know that, okay, hey, if he's not covering second, I got to be able to reset my feet and fire throw the first, because not everybody's going to be on the same wavelength. Low might have got a bad jumper, didn't see the ball. So sometimes you just can't assume. And a lot of times when you got guys playing out of position, they're going to assume what they've been told it's supposed to happen.
Speaker 4: It's gonna happen, and it's like no.
Speaker 3: You still have to be an athlete and make an adjustment to say, oh O, my guy's not at the base, let me throw it first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we haven't even got to the worst part yet. We're going to get to that next. Here on Bucco Territory.
Speaker 5: It's the summertime, aj and this is a time to feel free, wild make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it couldn't be any easier though. It's just one price for unlimited talk, text and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month.
Speaker 4: It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 5: All of Mint Mobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale, even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month. Equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, availability, speed and coverage barries see mitmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: Paul Skins needed to step up on Friday. We said on the show, we said, be an ace. It's as simple as that. He did not. He walked too many people, His stuff wasn't good. It just didn't work. I'm gonna start off by just saying this. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, there is plenty of blame to be placed around. There's plenty of blame to go around on the front office, on ownership, on coaching, on many people in the locker room, in the clubhouse. I should say Paul Skans deserves a lot of blame on this season if they don't make the plays, because if he isn't going nothing else matters. We can talk about the defense, we talk about the offense going cold. We could talk you know, you could call Don Kelly a bad manager, point out how Ben Sherrington hasn't built a winning roster in seven years, or if Paul Skins can't have a sub three e r A. This just doesn't matter. It just doesn't because that's that's the thing that everyone once, all the people who were cheering for the Pirates or even non Pirates fans who are like I would love to see this team get into the playoffs. Why it's to see what Paul Skeens could do. Because we've seen what elite pitchers can do. Look at what Yamamoto did for the Dodgers last year. He wasn't the sole reason why they won the World Series, but they probably don't win it without him. Bys and Bumgardner literally carried a baseball team, sorry, Josh, carried a baseball team to a World Series championship. Like you when you have that ace, that horse it is the ultimate equalizer. And for two years all we did was here about, Oh, this guy could just get an offense and they could get him in there. It will be a game changer. He's not getting there this year because of himself. And I don't know if he's hurt or I don't know if he didn't condition to himself properly. I don't know if he's in his own head. I don't know if it's coaching. Surely the defense hasn't helped him. But at the same time, how many times has Paul Schemes won this baseball team a game this year? Think about it. I can tell you how many times he's gotten a win and a blowout, right, I mean now, all his last three wins, they were lopsided scores, some of them as defense even made plays to help him. But when's the last time this guy pitched them seven innings of shutout ball and a one nothing win. I you might have to go back to like April early May. I'm sorry, and I get it. Like people are protective of Schemes. He is one of the most popular athletes that this city has ever called, you know, their own, and deservedly so because Prior to this year, he was unbelievable. But the drop off, it's no longer like a concern. It's just a disappointment. He's like hovering on a four earned run average. If you gave me one hundred guesses as to how Paul Skeins this season would go, I would have never guessed it because there and if you're injured, then you gotta sit down because you're hurting the team. They are a worst team. I wrote it earlier this year that they're a worst team. When he's on the mound, they're it looked like they had a triple a call up on the mount on Friday against a team where he owns them, and like, I'm getting all fired up and everything, and I'm not even a fan, but it's it is just so I can't even picture just how disappointing it is for the fans and even just for someone who covers it. It's like, man, it was all about putting Paul Skins in a chance to give him the opportunity to be great, give him the opportunity to will your team to win. And they've done that, and to his credit, in the beginning of July, he stepped up and again it was run support whatever. He's still held up at his end of the bargain. They needed him to shut down, showed up, or go toe to toe with him. He couldn't do it. And then he goes into the Reds Great American Ballpark, which I get as a hitter's part, but come on, man, come on. That team is dead. This is that should have been food for him. They embarrassed him. They embarrassed him. That's a last place team that made it made him there is yep. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna stop talking him.
Speaker 2: Mark Josh go ahead, Yeah, I'll jump in here. I mean, at this point, I almost like it feels weird to say, but I almost hope it's injury related, because if it's not, then that is almost more concerning, because yeah, I mean, I like, the off speed stuff is obviously like what's really been really hurt this year, and but like it's also why it's like, obviously we've seen the velocity fall off. Was the velocity what was driving all the off speed stuff success in the past and now because that's not there, I don't know, but yeah, it's it's just so concerning because this team was built around Paul Skins. Right, this is why you're going in And we've been saying all off season, you only have so many years of Paul Skians as a Pittsburgh pirate, or at least that's what it looked like, and so to have one of these years wasted because of him and his performance is it's just like you said, it's just disappointing. I still believe that he'll figure things out and get better and get right back to it, but what we've seen this year that's just me being optimistic. I mean, there's not a lot to go and support that. Yeah, exactly exactly. You're looking back and saying, well, he's done it like two seasons prior, he's got to get back to it. But yeah, I don't know if the league's figured him out, if the book is out on him, if it like you said, if it's coaching, if it's just him not being conditioned enough, I don't know, but it it doesn't look good. And like I've gone back and watched some of his performance, like him pitch a year or two ago, and you can just tell it's like, oh, this is a different pitcher than who I just watched last week. The movement just it doesn't feel like it's there, let alone in the philosophy, and so yeah, I mean I don't. I haven't wanted to be an alarmist because he had put in such a body of work that you can trust that he's going to get better. But at this point, like the pan button is getting pressed for me where it's like this, it hasn't been getting better. This is concerning Josh as a former player. Seemed like a guy go from such dominance to not What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Definitely I can see how from a fan standpoint, you guys are you know, I didn't know, not even from fan standpoint, but just keep using the word disappointing. I can even, you know, see some of it being disheartening because you know, for the past couple of years, when you think of the Pirates, there was literally one person that came into my pauschemes, regardless who was on the team, just because that's how great he was. And I take things a step further just to look at to say, his body of work speaks for itself. You know, it's in there, but I look at a lot of different other factors that could be underlying. Maybe there's something going on physically that you know he won't release, But I I highly doubt that because somebody in his situation, if it's something that is right, you know, alarming, you know, they're they're they're gonna take precaution. Me this is just pure speculation. For me, I think it's a total disconnect with something with him physically not hurt, but his first two years, I mean, new pitching coach, maybe different mentality, and it's not just Paul. The whole starting staff has not necessarily progressed. You had a pitching coach that got let go that you know, probably had certain keys and stuff that could could tell you know something different. And yes, we look here and say his velocity is down a lot of people, Yes, oh he's saving it, he's learning how to pitch this or that. But when you have significant drop offs like that, there's something to me that is going on, either physically, which I would highly doubt he would be putt himself in that much harm if if something's going on. But at the same time, this is also a situation he's never been in the big leagues with a potential to win. So I also say maybe he is pitching through something that he doesn't really want to because he feels this might be an opportunity to win. But on the flip side, mechanically, maybe something's off because when you don't have the velo, you start trying to add somewhere else. It's like a hitter who feels like his swing is off. You start going a tinker and not realizing you may be putting more effort into something that might be slowing your bat speed down.
Speaker 4: That might be you know, slowing your hands down.
Speaker 3: And I think it just might be a collection of everything of where he knows he hasn't been his greatest and if it's not physical, that means it's something mechanical that's not a lot mechanical or mental that's not allowing him to, you know, reconnect with what he felt the previous two years.
Speaker 4: And from a guy that has had years.
Speaker 3: Of success, years of not as great success coming from injury and something from non injury. You know, when you go through things, you do try to feel things out. But one thing that you know is if you're not injured, like you're able to put forth the effort. And I don't think it's an effort thing. That's why I said, I feel like if something was wrong. You'd see, you know, some pitch count stuff. But you mentioned his off speed. If his fastball isn't sharp, his off speed is not going to be sharp because you have to pitch with your fastball, and if you lose a little bit of confidence in that, now you're going back and you're trying to change something, you might lose a little bit. I'm just going off of being a ball player that's seen pictures lose confidence that have lost velocity. And sometimes it's not an injury. Sometimes it's man, he's not in his backside or you know what, Usually when he goes to lift his leg, his gloves in a position that allows him to load up and push off his backside. Maybe something in his setup has him searching for, you know, his money spot and he just hasn't been consistent. But that's still I don't want to say an excuse. You need your ace to be your ace, but you want it to turn around. But the other thing that I said, maybe, you know, letting the pitching coach go might not have been the best thing. Maybe he was a set of eyes that was able to pick up on these small things that to the naked eye or to another pitching coach doesn't seem like a big deal, but he knows Paul Skins, Hey, man, when you're right, you're thinking big toe or you know something that seems so trivial to somebody, but it's like, you know what familiarity and sometimes just popping somebody in is not gonna And if it's not that, it's got to be something that Paul has to figure out.
Speaker 1: I think the easiest way to summarize it is he's lost. He's lost. He because he he can say he knows what's going on, or or maybe he doesn't say that. But it's just like if you're if you think you I've identified the problem, or if you don't. Either way you're not fixing the problem. You're not getting better. So you're either lost in the sense of you don't know what's wrong. You're lost in the sense it's where you don't know how to fix what's wrong, or you're lost in the sense where you're hurt and you're not telling people. And either way it's just you're lost. It's it's it's gone on long enough where he has not looked like he's been good. At times this year, he has not been Paul skiing's good since mid May, and that's.
Speaker 4: More than changed in between, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's to the post. Yeah, it's to the point now where I mean, obviously there's a lot of season left and if he flips it on, that's great, but regardless unless he you know, And and that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: And sometimes that's why I said, it might just be one small thing that he might feel on a on a side day on the you know, and that's what I'm hoping for, because.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it takes one small thing.
Speaker 1: But you're right, it's to a point now where if he doesn't go on some herculean run to end the year, regardless of how much better he gets, like he could finish the year with like a three five o e R or even the like in the three threes or something like that, and that'd be a very good finish for him. But it's getting to a point where, like, what do you expect from him next year? Yep, because it's this is a guy who through two seasons in Major League Baseball through a sub two and now it's looking like he's gonna have an ERA over four at the end of the year. That is double what he's used to. So when you go through that dramatic of regression and you go into your four, you're thinking, what in the world is happening. Also, he grats to the pirates, they just saved a whole hell of ar year.
Speaker 2: I'll uh, I'll wrap it up my end here with one little positive thing. Paul is still Paul skin is so really good this year in certain metrics. He has the six highest fip uh is expected e ra as two point nine to four. So a lot of bad luck, a lot of bad defense behind him. Still, let's grasping that straws uh yeah safe, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think the bigger I mean, originally the velocity wasn't an issue, but the more that I see it continue to dip, that's the biggest issue to me. Because you lose your velocity, you're gonna lose tightness on your spin, on your on your off speed pictures. So it's all going to take an effect. Until he can find his velocity, I think that's going to be the main marker because if if he doesn't find that, that's going to be the that's the biggest test.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: And if it's a self decision, then make a different decision. Show it and you throw a hundred. Still, let's see it. I don't know, only if you yeah, if you're healthy, all right, We'll let Mark give us some positivity than the show. We're going to take a quick break then Platinum Keys Key of the Week when we come back.
Speaker 5: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 4: Kratz.
Speaker 6: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble. So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 4: I'll do the next best thing for her, That's right.
Speaker 5: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible vet bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash faul that's ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul again one more time, ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is under written by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 2: All right, and now my key of the Week segment here this week it's the Monday trade again. For some reason, I didn't you know I hit that this week. Yeah, I didn't feel right this week, but yeah, massive Massive Day might be the biggest twenty four hours here. We're recording at five point fifty two, so next twenty three hours here. So Ben Sherrington has a lot of moves to make to improve this team. We need bullpen help still, he added Camillo Deval. We saw how that went on in Sunday's game. The very first batter he faced gave up a home run. So a lot of that with the Yankees, we'll see. So need more bull help, especially back end bullpen help. I don't know if you want to go Mason Miller level, but there's options out there that are really good. Still, look at the Mets, look at the Rockies, and also just a right handed bet. Like we said, Joe Adell Taylor Ward gets some help. This team needs it. This team needs a shot in the arm bad after that Red Series. This fan base needs a shot in the arm. It's it's tough being the optimistic guy right now after that series, but keep your head up. Who knows what they'll do against the Brewers. I wasn't expecting one in three record against the Reds. I'd love to, you know, have everyone be surprised in the Brewers and they completely opposite direction. And maybe that's just baseball, but critical critical day here for Ben Sherrington. If he wants to save his job, if he wants to save this season, Monday is the time to do it. So it's a full stop period time to go if you want to. If this team wants to make the postseason, it needs help at this trade deadline, and today is the day to do it. So we'll see. I don't know if they're gonna be trading prospects, if they're gonna be trading MLB level talent. It seems like everyone's on the table. I don't know what MLB talent you'd be willing to part with if you're trying to make the playoffs. Yeah, maybe, Carmen Macjenski if you're getting something really attractive back. But I don't know why you'd be going and trading your best reliever right now. So yeah, it we'll see. They have some pieces like prospect pieces that are pretty attractive. Don't trade Seth Fernandez. If you're trading Edward Florentino, I would better be for someone really, really damn good. Yeah, it's it's gonna be a big, big day here at the time of publishing. So yeah, Josh, wait in here.
Speaker 4: Keep that optimism.
Speaker 2: Mark's got to keep someone.
Speaker 4: Baseball is a.
Speaker 3: Long season, one game at a time, and to help with your optimism, still within striking distance. So as you mentioned, these next twenty three hours are critical. So it's not like it's completely out of the water, because as you mentioned, a little less than two months or around two months, three games out. The time is now stop the skid and as you mentioned, get some help, and obviously you need bullpen help. But the biggest thing for me was obviously O'Hearn that presence is going to be missed, so you definitely want to make sure that you can do something and don't make a move just to feel you're going to make a move. If it's not going to make the team better, it's not going to make it make any sense.
Speaker 4: But you have to. I mean, you're within striking distance.
Speaker 3: So for you mark to keep that optimism one day at a time and hey, keep hanging in there. Man. It's gonna take a collective effort for sure, and it starts with being able to add a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with Josh in the center. It's like, I don't think this season's over. It certainly looks like it and feels like if you like in the reality, I mean, you're still less than four games back. You're a game under five hundred, but like, who cares you're less than four games back. You're gonna get O'Neill back here soon. I mean, you have the team that can do that. You just it's just got to be now, Like there's there's no more.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, don't don't. You can't wait on.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, And I mean they need help. I agree. Uh, they need to make like three or four trades at minimum on Monday, and it needs to be impact and it needs to impact the team everywhere. The offense needs help, the rotation needs help, the bullpen needs so much help. Uh So you got to you gotta do it, and you gotta play winning baseball. But the reality is we're recording this on Sunday, August. Second, you look at the remainder. If they go four games over five hundred in August and they go four games over five hundred in September, it's a playoff team.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: That just is what it is. So if you win your series at home and you go five hundred on the road, from here on out, you probably are making the playoffs. You got to do that. You gotta do it. And it doesn't matter if it's the Dodgers or the Padres or the Brewers who you still have to play, or the Marlins or whatever. I mean. Look at the Marlins. They lost like ten in a row last month and now they're back ahead of the Pirates. Like it can be done. The Tigers have snucket in the playoffs. Cleveland got hot last week, the whole sasion. The Red Sox were a joke at the beginning of this year, and now they're a playoff team. Like it can be done. It doesn't typically happen here. I remember one season where Pittsburgh team had a pretty good September. One guy on this show might remember that season pretty fondly. Twenty fourteen. They got hot at the right time and they pushed and they made it in And a lot of people didn't think they were getting in that year just because of injuries and their lack of adding anything at the deadline that year. Here. But we'll see what happens at the trade deadline. At the end of the day, it's not over. But like you gotta get your head out of your ass and start playing some ball otherwise it will be over. And it can it can be over by the end of this week.
Speaker 4: If you don't.
Speaker 1: If you yeah, yeah, so you know it's not over. Is this show. We're gonna keep talking about baseball even if this team keeps stinking. So hit that subscribe button if you want to come here for some Buco therapy or you know, maybe some Platinum Key positivity while this guy's falling around him.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: You can also check out the team shop but Goo Territory, Team Starry. We got a lot of good stuff there. One other thing to keep an eye on is there's a lot going on tomorrow on Monday today, I should say, and we have you covered on foul Territory, the Trade Deadline Show. Gotta tune in for that. It's gonna be a good one. I think I might be on it, So tune into that perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For my little final thought, I I just wanted to show, Josh, you have one plate appearance against Camillo Daval. I don't know, do you remember how that went?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, a slider right off the thigh there, So I remember, yeah, yeah, you saw two pictures against him and that was one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say I thought you might remember that one. Yeah, an you final thoughts, Josh.
Speaker 3: Uh, since you just brung him up. If they can get him right, he can, he's gonna be nasty. Yeah, But as you mentioned, if they can get him right, obviously had a little bit struggles with the.
Speaker 4: Yankees, but hey, change the scenery.
Speaker 3: A guy that's done it before, this is another guy that can help this bullpen. But it's gonna be more than just him. But step in the right direction. But very interested to see how he's next. Twenty three hours go and only time will two.
Speaker 1: Yes, my fine thought is going to be something not related to the field. I just want to extend my condolences to Michael Ncarelli's family. I had the privilege of telling his story a couple of months ago. He passed away Sunday morning. It's been a little bit of a tough day for me. I won't pretend to have known him well, but in the short time that I did know him, I had a really just a really one of probably the biggest honor of my career is getting to write about his life journey, his perspective on life. And it's sad. It's sad that we live in a world where, you know, cruel things can happen to such very, very good, genuine, wholesome people. So, you know, hug your loved ones. Cancer sucks, and our sincereous condolences go out to Michael Macarelli's friends and family here on Bucko Territory. So he's Platinum Key, He's Josh Harrison, I'm the Ole Ohiles. We're signing off saying thanks for tuning into another episode a Bucko Territory presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. Take Care two, A different, different, different