Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the Maro. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the man. Hero, Welcome to the Man, Welcome back to the mailroom. Jordan runs in the house, Doctor Jesse Mills here in the midst of our Payrone's Disease series, something that is really a big part of my career, dedicated probably at least forty fifty percent of the men that I see these days for all the treatments I do, a lot of them are coming to me just for Perrone's Disease. So we're going to really dive into this over this multi part series. But first, tell me what's up with you man? What's what's new in Jordan's world?
Speaker 4: Not too much gearing up for summertime, going to visit some family, going to New England boys and going to the camp. I know we talked about lobsters last time.
Speaker 2: I forgot you cold lobster or worm lobster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's a divisive issue in the New England territories.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I think you go cold and the mayonnaise can kind of ruin the tenderness, you know, But I don't know these are one of these false dichotomies. Why can't you just love both man, but you know, just alternate. Monday's cold. Yeah, speaking of cold, you know it's do you know what June gloom is? If you heard this term in Britain, we are suffering from June gloom, this Pacific inversion layer. Everybody thinks it's sunny in southern California. We're hosting the World Cup here in Sofi Stadium, and and I'm afraid our tourists are thinking what happened to all the sunshine? But give us, give us a few hours somewhere around eleven to twelve, it burns off. But it's a It is a grade A. I don't get to see my Santa Monica Bay. That's almost pentameter. We're going to work that out anyhow. We we are Russian, yes, Russian literature right know, and language. And here I am talking about Frescois de la Peroni. So I've known Mara Heman, she's our guest today spoiler alert for years actually, and she's been doing just amazing work up at the University of Washington in Seattle, where she's an associate professor. She's fellowship trained in mail reproductive medicine and surgery, just like me, Just like a lot of our guests, she also is an outstanding clinician. One of the things that I think stands out about her bio is how dedicated she is to patient care and patient advocacy. And again, as we talk about these very sensitive issues that guys have, this needing somebody like Professor Heeman in your corner is huge and so very excited to have her on today to talk about interlegional therapy. She is a graduate of Rush Medical College in Chicago, where I believe she grew up. We'll confirm that with her when she walks into the mail room here. Also a surgical resident intern at Loyal University in Chicago, and then finished her residency also at Loyola in in Chicago, and then did her fellowship at you dub as it's affectionately known up in Seattle, where she has stayed on as associate professor and she keeps advancing through the ranks. So very excited to have her on today today. We're really going to mostly talk about interleagional therapy, meaning we talked a little bit about this before with pills, pokes and procedures, and with this in mine. She is going to talk about the procedure aspect of it. So there's no FDA approved therapy for this that is not interleagional, but yet we try a lot of off labeled things. I'll probably pick her brain on that, and then what we really want to talk about today is collagenate's therapy. Maybe she has some opinions on verapamil, which I still use.
Speaker 2: We'll see about that.
Speaker 3: And anyway, let's let her into the mail room, Professor human. I just am so excited to see you on the mail room. Welcome, Welcome. This is Jordan my on air producer Ombre Extraordinaire and Brooklyn Nighte as of the last decade or so.
Speaker 2: So how you did? Tell me?
Speaker 3: Tell me what's new in your life and your crazy, busy, overscheduled world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good morning, it's so great to see you too. Life is exciting. As you know. We just matched our new fellows for the andrology program here at UW and congrats. We're thrilled. We have our graduates going out to their you know, top choices for jobs and it's just more people going out into the world to take great care of men. So we're absolutely delighted to be part of their education.
Speaker 3: That right there actually summarizes Mari to t is that when I asked her how she's doing, she said how everybody else.
Speaker 2: That is she's responsible for is doing. I mean, that is a sign of.
Speaker 3: A true caring, compassionate person. And it's so on brand for you and so so excited to have you talk about something else that that obviously affects other people, given that this is a disease of the penis. So this is why I think you're perfect candidate for this is because you've dedicated your career in a large part to Pirroni's disease as well. So exactly what I'm here for, Jordan, Professor Heman, He professor Heman, Jordan Runta.
Speaker 2: So nice to Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: So we've done this this about four part series or in the midst of this four part series on Pyne's that kind of looks at the history of it, looks a little bit that the our AUA guidelines and what we do with Perroni's disease, and so what I really want to get out of you today is kind of a narrative about mostly about Zyaflex and which is the collagenase And that's the only have to approve therapy since about twenty thirteen, and so I just want to get after your thoughts on well, first of all, who is the ideal candidate. Talk to me a little bit about the ideology of pernis and how you approach you guys. So if I just walk into your office, I'm fifty five years old, I developed a curvageure. Just give me the professor human treatment understanding, walk me through that.
Speaker 2: What that looks like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, certainly. So I think the most important thing I share with my patients is that this is a clinical diagnosis, so there's no need for any advanced testing, there's no need for biopsy things like that to confirm. We make our diagnosis as clinicians based on the history. So the story a patient tells about noticing a curvature, noticing a bump, blump or ben things like just any changes in shape to the penis. Sometimes pain occurs, so it's really the story. And then a physical exam, So physical exam that we do as experts confirms the presence of scar tissue in the penis, and that is essentially how we make our diagnosis. Now, We do have some advanced testing we can do and I know, you know, Jesse, you do this in your clinic as well, called a penile duplex Doppler ultrasound that helps us really refine the objective parameters of someone's disease. So that means, you know, how much curvature do they actually have? Is it as they think, maybe forty degrees or is it actually you know, with a really significant erection, is it more like sixty degrees. We also look at pen L blood flow, so we're able to see how good are your erections objectively, not just you know, based on your home report. We can look at the scar tissue using the ultrasound to see is it just collagen or does it have some calcified component, And this really can inform our decision about treatment. And I do often use pen L dopplers to inform my treatment making, you know, guidance, but not every single time. I think it's a really you know, our guidelines would suggest we need some objective data about the curvature. Photographs from home aren't always super reliable. We know that from some research from your but you know, I think, you know, the clinical diagnosis is really important. The history is really important, but we do have some advanced testing for guys who want, you know, more data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you reminded me the photography story. I practiced even almost I think the first year of practice was when the iPhone came out camera phones and so so I still had guys that would come in, you know, with printers eight by ten images of their penis. That that I think I horrified. I had a twenty two year old, fresh out of college receptionist that was kind of going through the medical charts for the day, and then all of a sudden eight and a half by eleven penis is looking her straight in the eye, and I think I lost her because of that.
Speaker 2: I think she went on into orthopedics instead.
Speaker 5: So, Jesse, that's where I started. I started as that administrative assistant when I was eighteen, an expert in Peyroni's disease, and I wasn't scared. I'll just say that I was treated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: See, so that this is the road less traveled in career pathways. So I lost a receptionist and then I gained a colleague here, so it could go either way. Yeah, but I'm glad you bring that up. Because a lot of guys will come in. In fact, I had somebody in my office yesterday who had just he had images of his penis literally over the last three years. And you know those little those little kids books where it's you know, you flipped the pages really fast and it's an animation. Yeah, he did that with his phone. He had seven hundred images where he rapidly fired through to show the peronis and as you know, and it was very, very mild changes. But to him it was important objectively to see the history of how his penis has changed over time. But from a clinical usefulness, I was not able to look at that photo and say, oh, yeah, this is what We've got a treatment plan based on that. So I'm glad you brought that up. So why did this happen? Professor Hayman, I'm your guy in your office. I mean, what did I do wrong to my penis that caused this, this curvature, this deformity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I usually explain to men. I mean the history is you probably hear for this from your patients that the vast majority of men there's no traumatizing injury, there's no major event where they're having sex slip out of their partner injure the penis, and you know, the rest is history kind of thing. I would say ninety nine percent of men don't have something like that happen. So we think this is the result of micro traumas to the penis, and that is just a result of having sex. As men get older, erections inherently lose a little bit of strength. We know that ED is sort of a change of aging for most men. And as erections lose strength, they get a little more susceptible to injury. Having sex leads to these little shearing injuries of the layers of the thick connected tissue that holds the blood in when men get an erection, that's called the two albiginia and this shearing leads to a little bit of blood entry into the layers and then in probably some in a genetically susceptible person man, a cascade of scarring occurs. And so it's these cells that come in, fibroblasts, inflammatory markers, They come in and lay down scar tissue, and that's all that's happening, is really the development of scar tissue. This is not a cancerous process. It is an exuberant scar tissue disorder, just like people who develop keloids or you know, really bad scar tissue when they get a cut in their skin, and so it's it's it's quite common. One in ten men. There are some associated conditions where they can develop scar tissue in the hands that leads to curvature. And so we know that there are some true genetic you know, relationship with that kind of scarring disorder, but for the most part, you know, we think it's probably just some genetic susceptibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you brought up cancer, and I think we borrow in pironius, which again it's very important for people out there. If you have a lump in your penis, it's almost maturedly not cancer, get it checked out obviously. But we do talk about Nutson's two hit hypothesis and cancer a lot where you have some underlying genetic susceptibility, as Marrow was saying, and then the second hit is some kind of insult, and that micro trauma is is about the best that we have, you know, because you're right, I mean, in my practice and yours too, I'm sure about eighty percent of guys have no wild story about how this happened. And I think We brought this up on a previous episode where I say, just imagine being that businessman off on a trip from LA to Chicago and you come back home with a bent penis and you have to try to explain it to your partner. And so this is where we have to disavow any sort of shame or guilt associated with this, because right, it just it just happens. And we also talk about this, the diminished directile function over time is super important because yeah, guys, guys in their twenties is say, Doc used to be able to hang at gym towel on my penis and you know, now maybe a washrag, And that's sort of the metric for aging of the penis as we go in our forties and fifties and sixties, which is the demographic that we see. So so no, I love that, and I think that's super important for guys to you know, sort of disavow themselves of any any wrongdoing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the penis is a pretty durable organ.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this guy walks in your office and and you've established his pernis, you can feel a non calcified lump, and that's I kind of led the witness there a little bit. But if you if you explained that, tell me who is a good candidate for collagenation and just walk me through a little bit about what collagenase is or zyoflex we can use the trade name as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so zyaflex is an enzyme. I explained it to patients that this is an enzyme treatment that gets injected directly into the scar tissue to help dissolve it to relax the penis backstraight. I like to explain that the a rectile chambers are that fill with blood to give a man in erection are like two circus balloons. They want to blow up straight and long. And when this scar tissue is essentially causing a restriction on one side, the cause of the tethering upward. Generally upward is the most common direction of curvature. By dissolving that scar tissue, we allow the penis to then relax back into a straight position. So it's sort of like a medical scalpel where we can just sort of insize the scar tissue with this interlagional therapy. Interleagional is just a fancy word for saying inside the lesion or the scar, it is an enzyme treatment that has, like you mentioned, has been empty approved for over ten years now, since twenty thirteen, it's been used in probably tens of thousands of men. Very safe treatment, and it's really applicable to many men, so we use it. You know, the most sort of industry safe way to describe the best candidate for it is someone who has over thirty degrees of curvature and a plaque that we can feel, so scar tissue that we can feel. It's important to know that in the FDA approval trials for this, men with downward curvature were not included, but that doesn't exclude those men from treatment in the modern era. So in the modern era, the direction of curvature doesn't really matter to me. Severity of curvature may not matter. It just may inform a little bit of my counseling of men about how much benefit they may get from zioflex. But you could essentially give zioflex as a treatment to anyone. I know. Jesse and I have had debates at our national meetings about this and we get you, yeah, no, it's okay, we get assigned to pro versus con But in reality, I do think that there are many men in whom zyoplex will work well because even if you a guy may need surgery down the road, it may downgrade the severity of the surgery he needs. So anybody with essentially curvature greater than thirty degrees and a plaque that we can target with our needle is a reasonable candidate.
Speaker 3: You said so much there, and I got to recap the idea of ventral curvature or guys that curve down is something that you're right was we did not sit in the original impressed trials is what led to the FDA approval of this medication, and it was really at the time we were so nervous that we might mess up. The urethra and the ventral tend to be in what we call the septum, which is the space between the two circus balloons, as you called the corporate cavernosa, which I like, I've never used that, but this guy's a totally different image of the that's.
Speaker 2: Right, you are, you are very professorial.
Speaker 3: So the septal plaque that's by the urethra, we avoid it because we just didn't know. And and since that time, in fact, there have been some phase two studies looking at using zio flex, which, as you said, it's just an enzyme. It just dissolves abnormal tissue to treat urethral strictures. And so once we did some of those studies to see that we weren't actually injuring the urethra at all, it allowed some of us to say, gosh, well maybe we should start treating these guys. Because we'll talk about surgery in a whole another episode. But but getting rid of ventral plaques or sceptial plaqu surgically is really really tricky. It's fraught with complications, injury to the urethra and the blip supply to the corpus bungdariosum. And so that's a that's a surgery most of us don't really recommend. And so if you had something non invasive such as sieflex or interlegional, great. And then we have a few papers coming out, I don't think they're I guess they're kind of in bargoed that they have been accepted. Looking at as you were saying, modern series for septal plaques, and the inside information is that that they do just the same. Like you know, we'll talk about outcomes and successes here. I'll probably be my next question for you. But but the ventro plaques tend to do just as well. It's just different real estate, different different location, a little closer to the urethra. So that's one thing. Great point. The second and actually I think i'll just ask you is a question in because it will kind of go into how how guys do with this medication is the idea of staging. Maybe I shouldn't even call it staging, but the idea that you can take somebody with a severe curvature, say seventy degrees, and then get them to say forty degrees, which is, you know, not bad until you know, not quite a fifty percent improvement, but somewhere in there, and and yet potentially downgrade the severity of the surgery. So walk me through, walkby through what you counsel guys on your success rates with zioflex. And also, I think I can't emphasize enough because this is something we get a lot from insurance companies and just in general in the medical community, is that that this is a drug, but it's actually, as you said, a medical scalpel. So you have to have that drug in very qualified hands to do a good job. So there's there's a level of certification we have to go through called MS certification to be able to even inject the drug. And then training like your fellowship where you actually train people to do this on a on a basis on you know, when they're out in the community. So yeah, I mean, fire Away, talk to me about results. Unpack a little bit more of what we just talked about there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, like you said, I mean, the people who are administering zioflex have some certification, right, So even to get zioflex at your hospital, that hospital has to have certification. You as a provider have to have certification. So if you're seeing someone who is offering this treatment, they have gone through some training and approval by the manufacturer. So that's you know, that's a good thing. That's the way we keep people safe. I usually like to quote the Impressed trials when I talk to patients about success rates. So I usually say that in the trials, the average improvement was about thirty five percent. So that's not thirty five degrees, but thirty five percent, which means, like you mentioned, for a guy who has seventy degrees of curvature, he may recognize a thirty degree improvement and that's really really significant, going from seventy to forty. So we do know from another study that the best outcomes for men undergoing Zyeflex treatments come from men with great erections and actually more severe curvature, so they tend to do a little bit better. I also say that, you know, treatments are inherently going to be on a bell curve where some guys just don't really respond very well, many are going to be kind of at that average median, and then some may have really robust improvements like eighty percent. And so I think we want to capture everybody, and I really counselmen as they go through the series. I know we haven't really kind of described the treatment with Zyeflex, but it's essentially to boil it down, it's about eight shots over a six month period, and I check in with them for every single cycle to see how are you doing? Are you seeing improvements? And should we keep proceeding. And it's very rare for me to see a guy want to stop early, because they do. We know that there are typically sequential improvements, so each cycle tends to give a little bit more and more benefit. So I you know, I usually want to encourage them to continue because we do see continued improvement, but I want to make sure it's the right treatment for them, and if they're not getting any benefit, we can always stop. But thirty five percent is average, but they may do better again, Guys with better erections are probably going to do better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I'm going to go on record as saying this, but the a couple of years ago, a few of our biggest insurance carriers started to mandate something which was not on label. In fact, I rally against it, which was that we had to have every two injections we had to have a check in with the patient, a separate office visit to monitor their progress. And in the old days and other insurance companies that don't that don't mandate that for us to continue coverage, I just was ask them how they're doing right before we gave them another shot. And it's interesting when I and most of the time we're able to do it with video visits and know we're able to document kind of verbal improvement and curvature and just show that we're on the right track. But I get so many questions, and really it's a value add little visit, you know that we can see how they're doing in between. And again I rallied against it because you're busy.
Speaker 2: I'm busy.
Speaker 3: You know, we see thousands of people a year, and I thought, geez, here's another guy. The label says we were supposed to get eight injections before we reassess, and now I got to do it every two and you multiply that in the number of afflicks I do, and then all of a sudden, I got hundreds, literally hundreds of new office visits every month that I have to get through.
Speaker 2: But it actually is kind of cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, these guys, it's, you know, the difference between talking to this sounds very crasp, but a clothed man about his erections versus a guy that's ready for another shot changes the dynamic a lot shocker.
Speaker 2: But I'm glad you brought that up. So how do you do you do the same thing? Do you do? I mean, you know, we have a.
Speaker 3: Lot of the same insurance carriers in Washington as in California, so I'm sure it's you know, some of it you're seeing too, But talk to me about what that visit looks like for our guys, and I'm really glad you also brought up this is a sequential series of injections.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so usually ours is kind of rolled into the same visit. So they have the cycles are two shots within a few days of each other, four weeks where they are recommended to have no sex. You know, this is this is a medical, serious medical treatment, so they need to have a little bit of restrictions, just like a surgery. Two weeks of reprieve, and then they go back into their next cycle of two more shots. So, uh, the entire series of eight shots takes about six months, and we roll that sort of check in into each of the first injection in each cycle. So they come in at the six week mark for their second cycle, and we're having that check in before we prep the medication. So there's no pressure to sort of proceed because we don't have anything, you know, ready for them. Yet they give us the thumbs up and then we and then we get it going.
Speaker 3: So talk to me also about modeling in terms of what you do in the office. Maybe explain what modeling is. Jordan has an idea of a penis model that is not what we're talking about here, so that I know what you're thinking, Jordan, I know, I know you, But talk about penl modeling, not Runway, not Milan here, and also talk about how guys should be doing this at home. What are the adjunct procedures that you recommend for success with this interlgional therapy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So penal modeling is very well described by the manufacturer of Zyoflex. So there are stretches that men do in length and then stretches that they do to bend opposite the curvature. There are some that they do with the directions and they do mostly flacid, and that is just aiming, you know, to while we have destabilized this plaque or loosened the plaque, we want to kind of put stretch over it to encourage the straightening. And so the way our clinic works is they come in for their first cycle, they come in two days after the second shot, and they received modeling training from one of our pas so our physician assistants. They then do that at home. I really encourage them to do this because it's their way of putting skin in the game to optimize the treatment. And then after that in subsequent cycles, we don't do additional training it's you know, it's pretty self explanatory. It's you know, several minutes a day, but it's it's not an onerous task. I do talk to them about using penal traction. So this is a stretching tool that can be added to zyaflex, and this there is sort of one option on the market that was developed by a urologists one of our colleagues, doctor Trost, who developed this penal traction device second generation that allows stretching and length, but also bending opposite the curvature, So that is an adjunctive tool men can use is to really add more to the modeling. So it's hard to hold your penis for thirty minutes in a bent position, but this device allows that, and some of the research from our field has shown additional benefits on top of the Ziefflex alone. There are some downsides to trying traction, which is mostly just that it's uncomfortable to wear this device, but I think it does add benefit if a guy can tolerate it and tolerate the out of pocket expense for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, about six hundred bucks these days. And the only warning I put on traction, I'm a little bit agnostic. I think for guys that are very compliant. I got to ask, you know, for my guys with young kids in the house, where you know, it's hard to walk around with this medieval device that looks like an erector set. Just to give you an idea in your mind, Jordan, imagine these steel cylinders or steel pillars that then connect to the base of the penis as well as another little clamp that comes out towards the head or the corona of the peaceus. And it's these these rods that then you can put in additional spacers every half centimeters or so as you're stretching the penis and against you know, there's the other incentive to this is that you may regain some link with it, but it is you got to put, as you said, a lot of a lot of skin or penis in the game for sure to be able to do it, but but be can be effective. My word of warning that that we've seen a few times, and I think Professor trost Is also commented on this is that you really want to make sure you don't have so much swelling or bruising or skin blistering, which can be some of the side effects we're going to talk about here in a second with eye flex, where you can get tissue breakdown because that the clamp at the head of the penis if you have any bruising in that area, and you have really you know, the penis. The skin of the penis is about the same thickness as the skin of the eyelids, so it doesn't take much to cause bruising or even blistering of the skin. So make sure that your skin is intact. If you're listening you're in the middle of eye flex and you run out and buy attraction device, that that's our only kind of be careful until that skin is fully healed.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so then to talk to me about what could go.
Speaker 3: Wrong with eyeflix, What are the things you worry about with your patients or what are your common concerns that they've come to you with.
Speaker 5: So it's so interesting to see my patients after their first cycle when they you know, may see swelling and bruising and this is the first time they see it and it can be shocking. And then the fourth cycle where they've seen that this happens, it goes away and they're just so much more comfortable with that kind of just reaction and they know it's sort of a side effect of the treatment. So that's just to say that swelling and bruising are expected. I say that about one hundred percent of men experience bruising at some point in the treatments cycles. It can be like a little pinpoint bruise. It can look like a tiger stripe, or it can look pretty dramatic, like a big purple penis Jesse. You have categorize these and sort of codified a hematoma staging scale. That is really helpful to sort of share with patients that this is. You know, there can be a range of outcomes, but I tell them that this is expected and it will go away on its own. I say that blood blisters can happen again, those heal on their own. They can get swelling sometimes. You know in men that bruising and swelling can go up onto the pubic bone, and you know, I wouldn't be surprised to see that. So hopefully I try to allay some of those concerns. But our nurses are always available to answer questions about this and to review pictures, so we offer just you know, really a lot of support through the treatment cycles. I say that this enzyme is very powerful, and part of that sort of power means that it can weaken those strong connective tissue that hold the blood for interaction, and if that weakens enough, that can cause a tear, and that's called a penal fracture. Penal fracture can look very you know, especially dramatic, so big purple penness. We mostly treat this with just observation and just allow it to resolve on its own. And so I think patients are really, you know, feel a lot of they feel well supported and just knowing that this will go away and it doesn't need you know, some crazy surgery to help repair it. Yeah, I describe that that's about one in a thousand. So, especially if they follow our instructions of no sex for four weeks after injections, that should be a really rare outcome. But again, it is something that typically goes away on its own. There's some more rare sort of side effects, like being allergic to the medication. I've never seen that in my practice. I don't know if Jess, you've ever had any of that experience.
Speaker 2: Have not?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, these are the things that are kind of on the label for us to describe when we talk about the medication, but those are really I mean, that's the most common side effect is just local sort of tissue injury because this is such a really advanced powerful enzyme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that sunds it up well.
Speaker 3: The one thing that that we've also described that came out post talk was the was back pain. You know, there's this a strange low back paint. It's about in at least in our series that we published a few years ago, it's about five percent of guys, but it's actually lower than that if you look at it's an accumulated effect, and so it's rare. In fact, I think maybe a zero percent chance of a guy getting back pain with his first or second injections. But guys that need eight and then sometimes you know, about twenty percent of my population, and I'll ask you about what your experience with we call multiple rounders is. But at twenty percent or so of my men potentially will need some fraction of another series. If they got forty percent better, they're not quite ready for surgery. They may not need it, but the back pain incidence goes up pretty significantly after those first eight injections and so that's something that we council guys. It's self limiting, just like you were saying with the other issues that we see, the bruising, even a small corporate rupture. There was this old you know, in our general surgery days, there was this classic book called Principles of Surgery, and one of the chapters.
Speaker 2: Talks about wound healing.
Speaker 3: And this is something that I always talk with patients about, is that the natural tissue. The reason that surgeons are lucky and better than our auto mechanics is that we're both mechanics. We're both plumbers in a way. But you know, PDC doesn't doesn't heal on its own. You know, radiator tubing doesn't heal on its own. But if we have a three millimeters rent in a tunic al Virginia, which is what you're talking about as a penal fracture of corporate rupture, our body heals it about a millimeter a day, so conferentially, and so in three days, even a small rent, which is usually what we find when we do imaging on corporate ruptures after Ziefflix, will heal without us doing anything.
Speaker 2: And that's the beauty of being a surgeon.
Speaker 3: As we have this wonderful biological machine called the human body, that that that cuts us a lot of slack, much more than, you know, than a manifold in a seventy eight BMW or a seventy two volvo?
Speaker 2: Is that right? Is that what you have? Jordan? See you so easier?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're our penises are easier fixed than the seventy two volts.
Speaker 5: But I don't have to work on that very exactly right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: So I think that that is a reasonably good assessment of the kind of the fair and balanced risks and benefits. So then how do you set your expectations for zye flex. You alluded to it a little bit with the impressed trials, but I want to I want to get back to something you said a little bit earlier and maybe just give me some at least some kind of back of the envelope data on the number of men that you do zio flex on. Then need something else, you know, how does how does that work? Or some guys listening right now, he had eight rounds or eight cycles, eight injections somewhere else and he's thinking, I may need to book a trip to Seattle to see professor, heman, who is the who are the guys or what do you do adjunctively if zye flex doesn't fully work and how often does that happen?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean so I would say that those guys in whom we have finished eight cycles of zyoflex and they may still have bothersome curvature. I usually like to get the objective data that we talked about earlier with the pen L Doppler ultrasounds. So I do that PENL duplex. I re establish degree of curvature. You know what that scar tissue looks like, using an ultrasound to determine maybe it is calcified. Maybe that's why you're not seeing the treatment response, especially for guys who aren't seeing any response. I think if guys are seeing sequential response and they really like the treatment and they want to proceed with more, I'm more than happy to offer continued cycles as long as their insurance will approve it. I think we live in kind of a really interesting era of medicine where we don't always make the treatment decisions, and we don't maybe even often make the treatment decisions. It's insurance companies that can dictate whether or not this is something they're going to be approved for, and that's an unfortunate reality that we live in as as healthcare providers. So in terms of the percentage of men that need further therapy, that's a great question. I really can't pinpoint my own sort of percentage, but I would say maybe fifteen to twenty percent go on to receive more than more than four cycles or some kind of surgical intervention after treating with the initial eight injections. I'm curious about your rates. You do more zyoplex than I do.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, So we have a little bit of data, and I think you just reminded me we shared a patient, which is a pretty good story, I'll say here in the SEC but the yeah, I mean, so we looked at our studies somewhere around twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, and I think it may be in general sexual medicine.
Speaker 2: I can't remember wh it finally ended up or ijir.
Speaker 3: But essentially, you know, when I quote success, certainly I talk about the Impress trial because that's that's kind of what's written. But I also think you did a really good job of setting the expectation of hey, you could be you could get zero or you could get eighty percent or even one hundred percent better, and we really don't know. We we did this huge linear regression analysis a few years ago that came up with a complete null hypothesis and others. We could not find who the ideal candidate was for Zeieflix, excluding guys that had just pure calcified bony plaque that could only really be addressed with surgery. We knew that, so I didn't look at those guys. But we looked at diabetes, We looked at age, we looked at at how long they'd had the plaque, all of this stuff, and essentially it was still you know, rolling the dice and seeing how a guy did. But in that big series where we looked at everybody, including ventral curves, we had what we found was about eighty percent of guys had as satisfactory treatments. We kind of pushed away angulation because you know, I published a lot about angulation, which really bothers me on a soapbox for advocacy anyway, because if a guy comes in with a twenty nine degree curvature, I either have to say it's thirty or not treat him, because the insurance companies won't pay for anything less than thirty because that's the label. So that's a whole nother advocacy discussion we could have, but for that, just getting rid of angulation and just saying, hey, are you happy? Like if you went from seventy to forty and you could not have penetrative sex, and now you can have penetrative sex and your partner is happy with your forty degree curvature, that's a win.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't have to prove that I can take a guy with a seventy degree curvature and make him ten or zero and say I'm the best Eyaflex guy ever, I don't.
Speaker 2: You know. Again, that's not my deal.
Speaker 3: My deal is to make a guy happy and make his partner or partners happy with how things have turned out. So if you look at that eighty percent of guy is pretty happy with one round of Zyaflex, and then for the number of guys that either needed additional cycles, that number was somewhat smaller, as we were talking about, around twenty percent. But in terms of just looking at all over, if you look at guys after even two cycles or two rounds, so two sixteen injections, which is usually what happened for my surgical candadates is it's uncommon if I see any improvement in guys after just one one round that I won't offer another round if I can get it covered.
Speaker 2: As you said.
Speaker 3: But but the number is about seven percent of guys would need surgery post afflix. But that doesn't mean that they were cured. It just means that they were satisfied enough that they were done with that therapy. But yeah, so I mean, I'll give you one of your semi year guys. So we had a guy a few years ago who split his time between LA and Seattle, and he was he summered up in the in San Juan Islands.
Speaker 2: God bless that guy. What a great place to summer.
Speaker 3: It's not bad, Yeah, right, Sant Janaga most of the year and then San Juan's in the summer. He did something right, but I had I think we did one round. He went from sixty to forty, but I didn't know that. I said, hey, Mark, could you do me a solid. You did his ultrasound pinal duplex, just like you said you do for your guys that you're thinking second rounds on and essentially teet them up. So the next time he was in LA we took that forty played him so a little bit less of an aggressive surgery, and we'll talk about that in an upcoming episode. But the application was very successful and he essentially went from sixty to zero with a little bit of zie efflecs, a little bit of surgery, and a great outcome. And I think that's really important because there's a lot of a controversy, but a lot of debate at our national meetings about really high level urologists in sexual medicine that either believe that this drug is doing something, is effective, Yes it's expensive, a whole nother discussion on advocacy, but others that just say, you know, it doesn't work well enough, so we should either just observe or operate. And I think, you know, looking at it as a staging procedure is not a failure necessarily, but as a priming procedure. You know, again, we use cancer terminology a lot, almost as a deep bulking to say, let's take a guy that would need a massive surgery and bring him back down to where it's not quite so you know so massive, and they do well.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad. Yeah, we're pretty sympatico on.
Speaker 5: That absolutely, and I think it's just you know, you've kind of alluded to this concept that a guy who goes from seventy to forty may be really satisfied, but someone who presents with twenty degrees of curvature it may be really distressing. And so there's you know, we see that all the time, that's in the literature, this understanding that the degree of curvature doesn't really predict the amount of distress. And so I think that's where we kind of the art of what we do is in tailoring treatment and talking to men. And you know, one of my research residents who's coming to UCLA for fellowship next year, did a really lovely study on men going through paronis to these treatments, their experience and what's important to them, and it's it's really not all about the degree of curvature. It's about so much more than that, the emotions that are involved, the body, confidence, the relationship. It's really an interesting condition because it really affects so much more than just you know, the penis itself, and so our treatments, you know, have to be tailored.
Speaker 6: That's the bottom line.
Speaker 3: Well, you just you segue perfectly into the section of our show we call You're probably gonna be okay, and so, yeah, I couldn't have done it better. And so we do have this section every episode where we talk to our guests about, you know, case presentation or something where a guy may have something similar to what we're talking about, and you got to walk through either. One day, we're gonna have somebody that is not going to be okay. And that's okay too, because you know, there's not all sunshine and rainbows in medicine or Peperonie's disease. But here's a guy thirty five years old single. He developed Peroni's spontaneously, so it could have been that business trip, no trauma that he remembers. He's three months in. He's noticing a thirty degree curvature and is devastated. He's wrecked by that thirty degree curvature. Can't imagine actually being sexually active at this point. He's a total shut in. I know you're going to see two or three guys this week that have have this condition, and he hates how his penis looks. He's on, I mean, he perseverates on. He can't focus at work. As every other thought and is a rumination on why his penis curved thirty degrees and he's also noticing penal shortening.
Speaker 2: So tell me, is this guy going to be okay? What are you going to do for him?
Speaker 3: How do you support the mental health aspect, which which again we had that paper out a few years ago in to Journal Urology with my colleagues of Karlinska in Sweden. Just looking at the mental health toll of Peroni's disease is devastating for these guys. And it's something that a lot of physicians either joke about. It's kind of jokes on late night TV, Saturday Night Live and as much fun as I have in life and on the show, this is Yeah, this is one it's hard to tell jokes about. So, is this thirty five year old guy gonna be okay? Professor Human, what are you gonna.
Speaker 2: Do for him?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean I think that the most important thing for this guy is just his first reassurance and education. And I really like to just start by giving the background, you know, because they read all kinds of things on the internet, and I want to give them the real scoop on what's going on. So I really like to educate patients. It's kind of part of my role as an educator of our trainees, and I really see myself as an educator of our patients. And I do think that laying the groundwork of evidence based information is really helpful and can just get guys in the right mind state. I would really reassure him that he's in the right place. So a lot of guys have seen other urologists, they feel like they don't know what the diagnosis is. They have told been told by another neurologist that this isn't treatable, which is not uncommon for me to hear. And so I want to reassure him that he is in the right place and that you're seeing someone who's an expert and we have excellent treatment options. Yeah, I think it's you know, so that's really the basis of the first sort of counseling session. I want to understand more about you know, obviously his condition, but his mental state. It's I like to we kind of joke that we do a lot of psychoeurology because these are patients who are, like you mentioned, totally distraught, and you know, we have to team up with our partners in sex therapy sometimes for guys, or just in general, you know therapists who can help with some of the coping around this. But I do think that getting guys on a really solid treatment pathway, getting them the right information, and just seeing them through having good support from our nurses is really helpful to sort of take away some of that worry. So it's it's not all about just the medical treatments it's all. It's also about the care of the whole person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. Now, that's that's great. You brought up yet another incredible pearl in that which is the internet can be a scary place for peronis. And another one of the other things we do a lot on the show is try to separate fact from fiction and myths. And there are so many topical creams, there's so many supplements out there for pernis.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 3: I was the victim of a deep fake on the internet for me, you know, somebody that looked just like me selling Paroni supplements.
Speaker 2: It was terrible.
Speaker 3: I had to go through a lot to get it off of YouTube. But yeah, I mean there is nothing out there. Do you see a Peroni specialist? Because we are going to walk you through what does work and what doesn't and the rest of it can just kind of waste your time and screw you up even more so, So all right, I gotta do this because I know you've probably got to get to the operating room. But every episode I also have to ask my specialists in men's health, what do you do every day? What is your non negotiable to make you be present for your patients and your family, And just talk to me through what makes maoramorrow every day?
Speaker 2: What do you need?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question. It is ever changing. So I have an eighteen month old daughter and it's just the delight of my life to have a kid and just to watch her grow and you know, see her being a hilarious individual at age eighteen months. So that's really sort of rejuvenating to me. I'm a big I know you're a big into exercise, and so am I. It's of course harder, as you know a fairly new parent, but exercise is so important. It's so good for our mental health, for our physical health. So getting outside. I've been running more again, did a few ten k's in the past couple of months, and lifting weights and so that's you know, spending time with my husband and my daughter is really kind of the crux of what makes me happy these days.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful and and it keeps going. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, my twenty one year old son destroyed me at the gym yesterday. So somehow thinks like he remembers his dad when he was thirty, not fifty five, and so he somehow thinks that I can still keep up with him. So you have that to look forward to, teaching your girl a lifetime of fitness and health. Jordan, what do we miss? Professor Human is here in the house in the mailroom. She delivered expertly, as I knew she would, and we had such a good conversation. But you haven't been too queasy, you haven't. You've been a little quiet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're doing.
Speaker 3: Jordan used to pass out when we talked about anything medical, so so I'm glad that you said surgical.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when you talked about penal fractures, he was still staying upright. I don't think he has a bracemind him yet.
Speaker 4: Pillows all are on the floor, just in case I sent smart Smart. I mean, I'm just really glad you touched on a mental health piece because that was something but meeting to bring up over the last few episodes. I mean, do you recommend that your patients seem if a health professional kind of help coach through this, like I mean, I know, because you know it's a traumatic event, may I imagine?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think it depends on the patient. I think some absolutely may need that support. If you know, I'm perceiving. I don't do any like mental health screening questionnaires in the fifteen minutes I have to see a urology patient. It's a little bit beyond my scope. But I think that some absolutely, I would recommend. I think men who have partners with them have you know, a unique support system, which is wonderful, but that support system may also need a little bit of help. And you know, I do talk about this with couples as as you know, a new normal that they may experience with their intimacy after pay treatments. It's a new normal, just like after you know your spouse had your children and went through breastfeeding. That changes the body and changes your relationship a little bit, and so there are new dynamics at play. We have great sort of lists of supportive therapists and you know, sex counselors that we can offer just at a moment's notice. So it's not uncommon for me to sort of put that in my little after visit summary for patients to access if I think it's important for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another freaking brilliant analogy. That's that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you'll never you'll get your penis back, but it may not be the same one as before you had this as that's freaking brilliant asways.
Speaker 5: I remind that to a lot of patients because you know, I just you know, really it's hard for some then to sort of wrap their brain around the penis changing. And I liken it too. You know, our ears get bigger as we get older, certain parts of our body gets saggier, stiffer, crunchier, and the penis does change too. Oh not uncommon for men to experience that, but it still can be a little bit jarring, so important to recognize it is.
Speaker 3: And with dogs like you and me hanging around, we get to have those penises raging against the.
Speaker 2: Dying of the light. So this is what we do. Well, thank you, thank you so much, Mari.
Speaker 3: I hope you have the rest of a fantastic day, and again thanks for all your wisdom sharing it with our our listeners on the Mailroom and uh long Transit some Stevie ray Stratt.
Speaker 2: Let's get out of here. iHeartRadio, thanks so much and we'll see y'all next time.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the invitation.
Speaker 2: M hm. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Maro. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the may Hero.
Speaker 1: The Mailroom with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeart Radio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtogg. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by Long Transit. If you liked what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast are those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health