Speaker 1: Football is back, or at least something loosely resembling football. It is April seventh. We will take what we can get.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Off season programs are underway, and we're gonna break down the reasons for optimism about Caleb Williams and Drake May with new head coaches in year two. Gino Smith is officially a Raider, almost a month after we reported Gino Smith was officially a Raider. As Ian might say, now it's officially official. The contract's done, and Gino speaks and why he wanted to reunion with Pete Carroll and why he believes Las Vegas can compete Right now, the draft just seventeen short days away. All signs pointing toward cam Ward going number one to the Titans, which would mean the Browns are on the clock at number two. Could Cleveland shake up the rest of round one. We'll tell you what we know and not just keep guessing until ultimate leave. One of them has to be right. Welcome inside with the insiders alongside Judy Batista and Ian rappaport I am Tom pelicerro Azari, a Thomas Florida State cornerback, potential first round pick. He's gonna join the show in just a little bit tonight. Like I said, seventeen days until the draft. Land Zerline will be here breaking down his latest mock and exactly how far he had Shador Sanders falling this time. But then I mentioned football is back. If you love guys walking into a building and short videos, you're gonna love this show. Kayleb Williams in the house because Ben Johnson has a new head coach, gets a two week jumpstart on everybody else, the first time that he can truly begin within limitations the process of working with Caleb and the rest of that bears roster. Justin Field's also at work his new head coach, Aaron Glenn in the building with the Jets. Justin Field's coming over from Pittsburgh on a two year deal. He's about so much business. We couldn't even get the video of him walking. We did get the Patriots longer camera angles on this one. Drake may though, among those who reported you would think today a bunch of other guys you can see from an instance across the sidewalk right here. I'm not gonna let that damper my enthusiasm because five teams are back to work. Today the Bears, the Patriots and the Jets, the Jaguars and the Raiders will begin their work on Tuesday. More on Las Vegas in just a little bit, but Judy, let's start out by talking about those Patriots back to work today, Mike Vrabel as the head coach, Josh McDaniels back in the fold as the offensive coordinator. It is all about getting Drake May headed the right direction. I think it is fair to say there is optimism after a couple of years the Robert Kraft said was the most difficult of his ownership, that maybe, just maybe now is the time to start bringing this thing for.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: If Robert Kraft speaking last week at the annual meeting is any indication, there's an awful lot of excitement anticipation about what Mike Rabel is going to do with this franchise.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear.
Speaker 3: The start of the off season program, they're not practicing, right.
Speaker 2: This is all about.
Speaker 3: Conditioning and meetings and you see this weightlifting, maybe running a little bit, but not anything that looks like a football practice. Really, this is an opportunity to get to know each other, the coaches and the players, certainly the Drake May Josh McDaniel's relationship is going to be very important. It is also an opportunity for new head coaches like Mike Rabel in particular, to set a tone, and there is certainly going to be a different tone in Foxborough than there was last season. Mike Rabel is expected to be much more of a task master, a harder coach, I think than we saw last season. They are certainly going to be more detail oriented. This is an opportunity for him to be in front of the players for the first time, a lot of new faces in that building. They did an awful lot of work in free agency. Certainly we are all going to pay the most attention to Drake May and Josh McDaniels, But I think more broadly, the tone that Mike Vrabel sets in these early days is going to be really critical to where this team heads.
Speaker 1: Patriots certainly put in work, as you saw in that has hastily cut together video right there, Ian, I feel like if they've edited together all my reps I get in the morning, it would also look like I got a heck of a pump in the New York Jets. Also back to work here, we're talking about the Patriots. They're uphill climb within that division that's been dominated for so many years now by the Buffalo Bills. The Jets have the same task in front of them here, a little different approach though in terms of how they're putting that thing together with off season workouts beginning today under Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 4: By the way, I kind of like that Patriots video kind of pum me up a little bit, Watson. Everyone lift weight so quickly and so efficially.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's like.
Speaker 4: When you want some bo make a video like a million Punches tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like a rocky talk about I want a montage you.
Speaker 4: I've seen I've been in a hotel, gym or something with someone does that. It's very, very weird and off putting. But anyway, let's not talk about my last experience at the scouting combine anyway. Uh, Let's talk about the New York Jets instead. We showed a still of Justin Fields walking into the building. There's a lot going on with the Jets. There's a new general manager and Darren Mougey. There's a new head coach in Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 1: But so much of this is.
Speaker 4: About Justin Fields, because if you look at this Jets roster, Yes there were some signings, for instance, jeam In Sherewood, really nice signing, really good player, got in ans contract.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 4: You know, there were a lot of players that are already there. I mean, this is a talented team.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: The record last year was bad.
Speaker 4: Quarterback play, Aaron Rodgers wasn't good. Head coach gets fired early in the season. The whole thing is a mess. There is, though a foundation. If you look at what the Jets did in free agency, it wasn't an overhaul.
Speaker 2: It was more tweaky.
Speaker 4: It was more sort of middle class free agent signings to kind of bolster the foundation.
Speaker 1: The biggest one.
Speaker 4: Was Justin Fields, and Justin Fields when he played last year with the Pittsburgh Steelers, was a good enough starter to lead them out to a winning record before he eventually got bench Russell Wilson that.
Speaker 2: It all went the wrong direction.
Speaker 4: Justin Fields is out to show that he is a bona fide starter in the NFL. If he is, if he is better than average, if he comes in and is a secure quarterback, this could be a really really fast turnaround for new head coach Aaron Glenn and the Jets.
Speaker 1: Two years, forty million, a strong bridge deal, though apparently they forgot to negotiate him a shirt. There's no way it was warm enough to justify the shirtless videos.
Speaker 2: But this again, this is what we're here for.
Speaker 1: On April seventh, so one spot in New York for starting quarterback is taken. The guy who competed with Justin Field beat him out lastyear. Russell Wilson now with the Giants, but could Schenor Sanders ultimately join him in New York. Here's what we know as of now. Again nothing official. Titans insists not decided, but all signs continued to point to cam Ward going number one, including Ian. The Titans decision to not even follow through and work out two of the four players privately that Brian Callahan told me just last week are among the four elite prospects in this class.
Speaker 4: Well, let's focus on one of those players, right, because if the Titans have the number one overall pick, presumably if they keep the pick, it'll be a quarterback. So really this is about Shador Sanders and several Titans people. We're at his workout. A really impressive Colorado showcase last week. Now mutually they decided Shador Sanders, his people, Tennessee Titans and their people that this workout didn't make a lot of sense, and there are obviously reasons for that. Signs continue as you mentioned a point to the Tennessee Titans drafting cam Ward as their number one overall pick. If that is a fact, that it is not a fact yet, but if that is a fact, in working out Shador doesn't really make a whole lot of spense sense, especially because you just did it in front of them a couple days ago. No one wants to waste anyone's time. That's why this decision was made. And if you needed further proof though of where the Titans are and what they are considering what they're leading, this was it. Yes, there is interest from teams in trading up to one. I just don't really get the sense of those have gained any traction. Tom and them deciding with Sue door Standers not to do his workout just put you know, more evidence that that is the case.
Speaker 3: If it's not cam Ward number one to the Titans, this is going to be one of the great fakeouts in NFL draft history. But that means that the draft essentially would start at number two with the Cleveland Browns and then the Giants at number three. This is going to be fascinating over the next seventeen days until we get to draft night. What direction the Cleveland Browns going, because they obviously need a quarterback too. They have Kenny Pickens on the roster who they got this offseason, but they could use a quarterback if they decide to draft one. Would they draft Shitdoor Sanders number two or would they go with the two superstars? One of the two superstars who are available there Travis Hunter, the two way player who Andrew Berry, the general manager of the Browns, has already indicated they view mostly primarily as a wide receiver, although Travis Hunter has made clear he wants to play both ways in the NFL. Or with the edge rusher Dull Carter from Penn State. Those two guys, if you assume that the Titans are going to go with a quarterback, those two guys would be on the board and available for the Browns. Would they pass on them to take a quarterback. That decision, of course, would then impact what the Giants do. They too need a quarterback, would they draft Shador Sanders or would they take whoever? The Browns don't take so many moving parts, a whole lot of indecision. It's going to lead to a really fascinating draft, Knight.
Speaker 1: And if Shdor Sanders does not go at two or three, the next team that even plausibly could take one will be the Raiders at six, although they already invested a third round picking a new contract. And the other quarterback who is now a member of the Raiders, that is Geno Smith for the first time, dawning that Raiders had officially signing his new contract and fair to say, ecstatic but reunited with his old head coach.
Speaker 7: I think there is unfinished business, and I think, you know, when when people think about my story, you know, Coach Carroll was a big part of that. You know, he gave me an opportunity when not many people would have. And he saw, you know, the hard work that I was putting in. He saw the things behind the scenes that I that I do that allowed me to get this opportunity. But to be able to play for him and again to be a part of this organization, it means everything to myself and my family. Uh.
Speaker 5: I was just telling them man, I'll run.
Speaker 7: Through a wall for him and he knows that, and I'll do the same for my teammates and for this organization. And so I just want that to be, you know, kind of who I am, and I want that to be the statement of who I am as the quarterback of this team.
Speaker 8: That I might hit that wall before you get there.
Speaker 1: I've seen it, and sometimes he's forget duty that. Gino Smith a few years ago was a thirty one year old scent, a journeyman, a backup, whatever you wanted to call him. Nobody thought Gino Smith would be sitting here now with his second team, in the second phase of his career, getting a starting opportunity. But you got that sense that this trade was about more than money for Gino Smith, who got exactly the same amount this year from the Raiders that he would have gotten on the new deal that the Seahawks offered him here. This was about reuniting with the guy who really was a big part of giving him that opportunity to revive his career.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a guy who led to his renaissance and who believed in him, and now who clearly believes in him still a second time in Pete Carroll. I think it's also indicative of what the Raiders want to get from Gino Smith. First of all, Pete Carroll mentioned stability, which certainly that franchise could use at that position after having a revolving door for the last few seasons. But also Pete Carroll is looking for a messenger of his culture. When they hired Pete Carroll, Loop was clear they wanted a culture center. That is Pete Carroll's game here, and Gino Smith is going to be the guy to deliver that. Pete Carroll talked about He'll represent us in a magnificent way, and he said, you know, he does things we believe in. He talked a lot about the way Geno prepares his work ethic, So clearly is not just looking for Geno Smith the quarterback. He is looking for Geno Smith the role model and the mentor and somebody who can deliver to the Raiders organization the type of player that Pete Carroll wants to have on his roster.
Speaker 1: If the Raiders had not made the Gino Smith trade, they would have a lot of pressure on them right now to go find a quarterback at number six. Instead, they have optionality, which could include giving him a guy in the backfield who might be able to help him out. Ashton Genty is going to be visiting the Raiders, as Ian reported earlier today, a guy Ian who has been connected in a lot of mock drafts a lot of speculation to landing right there in Vegas.
Speaker 4: Right, And you know this is one where of course, as Genty is visiting the Las Vegas Raiders, and you know, if you have a team that picks that early, you have a player, this dynamic who really could be a rare, rare top ten running back. Makes a lot of sense that the Raiders are visiting with them, also visiting with Quinn Ewers, who would be a potential option for them at quarterback maybe in the second round.
Speaker 2: We'll see what ends up happening there.
Speaker 4: But specifically to Genty, this certainly is one time that the fans, especially Raiders fans.
Speaker 2: Have grabbed hold of, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, he is, he's a fun player, he's a dynamic player. He is to kind of do everything running back you rarely get. And this is a team that does seem to be overall pretty solid, just don't really have that bellcal game breaking running back. So yeah, I would say, there's a lot of dot connecting here. There's a lot of fans being like, see, see, they're interested. This is obviously one to keep an eye. We don't know right now whether or not the Raiders will take Ash and genty, but I do know this, if they do, there'll be many Raiders fans who go, I told you so.
Speaker 1: Quin you were was also among the visits upcoming for the Raiders, a potential target, not at number six, but potentially maybe on Day two if they decided to add a young guy to that room with old Gino Smith who's still getting paid at this phase in his career. That's not the only pre draft visits in recent days and coming up here. Mason Taylor's son of Jason, visited the Chargers last Thursday. He's got a few more visits coming up, including the dad's old team in Miami, Carson Schwessinger having time with the Ravens, Joshua Farmer visiting these Steelers, and Savon Ravel Junior, really interesting prospect coming off of torn acl first round talent all Day visiting the Bills, the Colts, and the Vikings. Also going to be back for his combine recheck on that visit to Indianapolis, all signs pointing toward him being cleared shortly after the draft to get back out on the field. Jennings wants to throw gonna sail it down the field, but sorry, A Thomas put a nail in it.
Speaker 2: Hey see big time.
Speaker 1: Here come pressure black leg brawled it up near aside by courting.
Speaker 4: Good go.
Speaker 1: Zori. A. Thomas not just one of the most fun names to say in this NFL draft, but one of the top quarterbacks too. And our guest right now on the Insiders with me, Tom Pelasero and Ian Rappaport, seventeen eight days out from the draft. Here, where have you been? Where are you going? What all is happening in your life right now?
Speaker 6: Man, it's sir, So I've been training back in Tallahasseem. I had a well, I have a post pro day packet that I'm going by standing football shape. I'm going on team Team visits Team Zoom. So it's pretty busy, but at the end of the day, it's a blessing.
Speaker 4: So uh, before we get to what I was going to ask you, what teams you go into any any plans you can share coming up the next couple.
Speaker 6: Days yes, sir, So I've visited with the Stillers and I and the Saints.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're a Florida State corner. Obviously someone who's going to be drafted early in this draft process. There have been a lot of very good Florida State corners I think about it. First in that comes to mind, of course, is Jalen Ramsey. What do you think of the lineage of Florida State corners and who did you kind of want to model your game.
Speaker 6: After most definitely, Now, I wouldn't say model, but just something that I can just learn, somebody that I can learn from and see what he's good at and see just the different types of tools that he uses that I can add.
Speaker 5: Into my toolbox.
Speaker 6: So it will most definitely be Jaalen Ramsey, just his his lenk and just his swagger and his confidence and how the opposing team may not even know that he's on the field just looking at them physically, but they can feel him out there. And so that's just one guy that I proub myself in watching as well.
Speaker 1: Somewhere out there, Dion Sanders just heard in say the first Florida State corner that comes to mind is Jalen Ramsey and shudder a little bit and let that well, let that slide. Literally one of the greatest players Cenvil history. Yeah, it's jale Ramsey, also a really really good player. I know it was Aria though you're also you're also a Cam Newton fan. Did you ever have designs on playing the other side of the ball? Could we have seen a parallel universe where you're on offense?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I actually played both sides of the ball my whole life and growing up high school, I had offers at receiver actually, so the players and other people may not even know that.
Speaker 5: So I had sec offers to play receiver as well.
Speaker 6: But I just like the Lord led either play dB and I'm here now, so I'm thanksul.
Speaker 4: So you have a brother in the NFL, je Ye, who has has been playing for the Dallas Cowboys, obviously someone who can give you a little taste of what the NFL is like before you get there. What kind of a role model or example was he and then what advice has.
Speaker 5: He given you? Yes, my brother is somebody that I look up to.
Speaker 6: I don't have anybody that I idolize really outside of my two brothers.
Speaker 5: So I actually have an oldest brother.
Speaker 6: As well as in they ray, but one year since, since he's in the league, I was speak about him.
Speaker 5: But growing up, they said, they said the blueprint out for me. I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't really have to stress about anything about how I was going to figure things out. They already prepared me before I even entered those certain stages.
Speaker 5: That I've been in my life. And now I'm about to go to the league.
Speaker 6: The main thing that he's been telling me and uh and just reminded me the harp on is the same thing that got you here in the league is not is not what's going to keep you here. So you have to enhance your habits. You have to change your habits. You have to you have to watch who you're listening to. You have to watch who you're hanging out with, and uh and the and and another thing is the higher you go is the louder it gets. And so that's just one thing that he's been telling me in some that I've been harping on and something that I've been preparing and already telling myself before.
Speaker 5: I even make it there.
Speaker 1: So she also named checked your older brother. There the entire family ends with yay in the name. I'm very curious what is the backstory on that, particular the way that all your names are formatted with your brothers and sisters.
Speaker 6: Look, man, it got till I was about ten years old where I realized, like, allthough my siblings' names, Yeah, I'm just as lost as you are. But my mother always tells me. She always tells me like the meeting of it, but I always forget. So that's something that that I got to catch up with my old mom about.
Speaker 4: So all right, so after you get drafted, we figure out where you go. We'll get your mom and she can explain the whole thing to us. I like this idea, gotcha, I want to go. I want to go back to Florida State a little bit because Florida State has been obviously a traditional power for for the last several decades. This year, not as much, was a very difficult year to be a Florida State football player. You are still a top draft pick despite all that. How hard was that to go through and kind of keep your performance where it needed to be knowing of the struggles that the entire team went through.
Speaker 5: Yep, Honestly, man, it was tough. It was coming in a lot of agents try to hit you up, so.
Speaker 6: It's so easy to get distracted by that and be like, oh, we're losing. Oh this is happening. So I'm gonna just focus on myself. But man, before anything. Number one, I'm gonna follows christ And number two, I'm a servant, and so I had to serve my teammates like I had to.
Speaker 9: I could not feel my teammates, and so I knew I.
Speaker 6: Was a leader that the younger guys looked up to, and so I had I had to set that blueprint out and I had to set that example each and every day, whether we were losing or not. And so I felt like earlier on, I kind of felt I kind of gained my joy from winning and not and not the process of it all. And so I like, if you idolize winning, if you don't win, and you think you have a bad life, you think you have a bad age, you think you're a bad player. And so just the main thing, man, was just coming in and just being that servant and coming in the building with the same attitude, the same mindset, the same approach, so others can feed off of me because I knew others was looking to me as one of the leaders, and so if I came in frown and if I came in being selfish, then all the other ident I would have failed my teammates and it would have looked even worse out there. And so I feel like we put some good stuff on film, we just could not put a full game together. And so it's something that I look back on that I'm thankful that I went through though, because I grew as a person truly, I grew as a young man, and I truly kind of got a glimpse of really real life because we all have these expectations, we all have these goals that we set, but who are you if you don't achieve them?
Speaker 5: And so that was just the biggest thing that I learned.
Speaker 6: That was the biggest thing that I tried to harp on it, and that was the biggest thing that I preached to my brothers as well.
Speaker 1: That is tremendous perspective from a guy who is still only twenty years old as he gets ready to go into the NFL Draft. It's all upside for Azaria Thomas Man, thank you so much for being your best. Luck these next seventy to eighteen days here. Can't wait to see you in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Man, Yes, sir, thank you all man, God bless man, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you.
Speaker 5: Mary appreciate it.
Speaker 1: A lot more to come on this edition of The Insiders, including the guy who's dream of going number one came through a year ago. About this time, Caleb Williams and the Bears back in the building with their new head coach, Ben Johnson. Our Stacy Dales joins us from on the site. Right after this on The Insidives.
Speaker 3: Chicago Bears got their off season program underway today with new coach Ben Johnson. There is Caleb Williams arriving for work. Looks like a good day to go inside for meetings because it does not look like the best winter weather in Chicago or spring weather in Chicago today. We can check in with our own Chicago residents, Stacy Dale's and Mark Ross. Stacy, let's start with you first day under Ben Johnson. What do we expect the development of Caleb to look like?
Speaker 10: Hello, guys, I did snow today in Chicago, by the way, so that's fun.
Speaker 11: Temperatures are still increasing here in this part of the country.
Speaker 10: But listen it's a new era once again. I feel like I kind of say this almost every year, but the Bears really feel like they did some good things in their trench work, and those are the foundational pieces. But really today it's the start of strength and conditioning. So let's not get too overly excited, but it's also the start of being in person to develop language. I kind of look at the Chicago Bears like a new band forming, if you will. You've got your drummers, you've got your bass guitarists, you've got your electric guitarists. Maybe you've got an acoustic guitarist over there. You've got your lead singer and Caleb Williams. You've got somebody on the saxophone. You've got somebody on the trumbone. I mean, I could go on and on and on, and what they have to do is figure out what that language is to play their music. And that's what the Bears are doing right now at Hallis Hall.
Speaker 11: They're developing that language.
Speaker 10: So that they can speak in Unison and so that they can better understand this offensive philosophy that Ben Johnson wants to institute with his new staff.
Speaker 11: And really for Caleb Williams.
Speaker 10: That development started a couple of months ago when Ben Johnson was hired, and ultimately.
Speaker 11: Ben has alluded to this.
Speaker 10: They want to get him under center more, Mark and Judy, and we've seen him so often, even back to high school through his college days Oklahoma, us see so much of his play out of the shotgun, getting him under center more and trying to make him uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: Mark.
Speaker 10: I would say to get to get this group to figure out what he's comfortable doing.
Speaker 11: And Ben Johnson has always says, I need.
Speaker 10: To see the lens through the lens of the quarterback the offense, and that's what they're going to be doing.
Speaker 11: They want to get the ball.
Speaker 10: Out quickly, really like to use that play action like they did with Jared Goff and really keep the change moving with this new offense in Caleb Williams.
Speaker 12: Stacy, sorry about the snow and two hours ago, I was on the beach in Miami.
Speaker 2: Not to rub that in.
Speaker 12: But if we're sticking with the band references here, you know Ben Johnson and Paul McCartney and Caleb Williams, Is Lennon, John lenn and me, you know, get that centergy of Hey, I'm going to teach you how to do this. And for Caleb Williams year two, as you mentioned, it's about consistency. It's about learning the new offense and becoming a leader. You know, year what everyone just assumes you're the first pick in the draft. Everything should be easy. You should just step in and go crush it. You know, there's always exceptions. What Jayden Daniels did last year, but even growing pains for him. But Caleb Williams is about the consistency. You saw the flashes, you saw the big time flashes. It's about the consistency. And I'm sure Ben Johnson is doing everything possible. What's salivating to say, I can't wait to get my hands on this guy and design an offense to make him a perennial pro bowler and the MVP type Candy.
Speaker 8: All Right.
Speaker 3: At this time last year, we were pretty certain that the Bears were going to take Caleb Williams with the first overall pick at number nine. They got the receiver Romagensey as well. This year they picked tenth overall. Stacey, what direction you think they're going in?
Speaker 10: I think they could go in a number of directions. Who's going to be their keyboardist, right, who's their pianist? Like, what are we going to see added to this group? Because I mentioned when I started this that they really like what they've done in the trenches. It doesn't prohibit them from drafting there at number ten in the trenches, whether it's a pass rusher or it's an offensive lineman. We know right now they have seven picks currently in this draft. But the uniqueness of the Bears is they've got four through seventy two.
Speaker 11: They've got a first, they've got two seconds, and they've got.
Speaker 10: A third that is draft capital at the top, that is value. So they could very well move up if they so choose too and be aggressive. Maybe they love Abdul Carter. We'll see you, so none of us can really see. Mark, you know more about this than we do because you've done this. You've literally sat and looked at the big board of the team that you worked with, and that's always the fly on the wall that I would want to be. But it's going to be really interesting, guys, because obviously cam Warden, Shudeur Sanders are probably going to go pretty high. Travis Hunter is probably going to go pretty high. There's a chunk and cluster of players, though at different positions. Mark and Judy that could go in this top ten. I mean I could run through them, and Tyler Warren the tight end who pretty much ran the offense for the Penn State.
Speaker 11: And at allions a Mason Graham who can stop.
Speaker 10: The run equally as well as he can plug the middle and get after the passer in the middle of a defensive front.
Speaker 11: Will Campbell forget the arm.
Speaker 10: Size, the guy didn't really miss a start LSU in his career. And then Ashton Genty sitting there. So like I'm looking at really those four and I'm very curious to see how this board falls at the top of this draft and where that premium pick will be. For the Bears, because they're going to best available, that will be a value pick because they really think that they've done some good things in free agency to allow them to have that flexibility.
Speaker 12: Stacy, you mentioned the value, and that's you're leading up to the draft.
Speaker 2: It's always the value and the need of what you.
Speaker 12: Have, and that's why you have to be so important on the self evaluation of your own team. And in free agency they had a glaring need and Ben Johnson coming from the Lions with that offensive line. He said, we are going to go attack this glaring need and free agency and not lead it. Leave it up to the hands in the draft of fine players. I hate to help Caleb Williams. So they did a masterful job with that. That being said, I think that is still wide open if a Will Campbell gets to ten or go another direction with oh well, also, the head coach likes to form the team in his image. Well, I had the dynamic due of Montgomery and Gibbs, I've got the DeAndre Swift, maybe an Omarion Hampton, the running back from North Carolina. Well our defense really isn't we need some help there for Montewat we can go pass rusher. So I think a lot of the positions are still on the table for the Bears and to really let the draft fall to them there and Stacy, as you mentioned after the third pick, you of the certainties of Pam Ward and now Duel Carter and Travis Hunter. It could go so many different ways. There's a cluster of about twenty five players that could be any sort of different ways and orders on teams draft boards. So the Bears have a lot at their disposal and a lot of good players. I think they'll have a chance to choose from to match the value and the need.
Speaker 2: Judy.
Speaker 3: Awful lot of intrigue at the top of the draft, and the Bears are certainly squarely in the middle of it. Stacey Mark, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Shador Sanders finally got his opportunity to perform in front of NFL scouts and coaches at the Colorado Showcase on Friday, and with the Titans and Sanders camp mutually agree to cancel his private workout. That is just about a rap on one of the fascinating draft prospects pre draft process. Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pelli, Serai and Rap Point join now by our guy land Zerline Lancey. Watch that pro day. There's been a lot of debate about what we saw from Shador Sanders in that. Tell me what you've seen now and also how would impact to where Shador is going in your latest mock draft.
Speaker 9: Just doesn't impact anything for me.
Speaker 13: I mean, you know, I've only seen one bad quarterback pro Day and that was, I mean really bad when that was Teddy Bridgewater kind of famously back in that draft.
Speaker 9: But other than that, I really haven't seen a bad one.
Speaker 13: Guys are throwing without pressure, They're throwing on air to wide receivers are comfortable with. And I understand it you do that instead of the combine. But I think Chador showed who he was. I mean, he's an accurate quarterback in general. I thought most of his throws were fairly accurate. I think, you know, with Shador Sanders, it's really not about he's an accurate quarterback.
Speaker 9: It's not gonna be about the arm strength.
Speaker 13: He's got kind of an average arm and he's not a guy's going to make a ton of plays off platform on the NFL level. But what you love about him is the personality. You like the way he can handle the moment, The composure he has in the pocket, I think really resonates with a composer he's going to have on an NFL stage. Now, you still have to be good enough, but I think what Sanders, what we're seeing with him is, look, he's either going to go three to the Giants or he's gonna slide. I think that's the that's basically one or the other right now. It's an if then statement, And so I basically think what we're doing is keep an eye on Shador Sanders at number three, and if he doesn't go number three, then he may need to buckle up a little bit.
Speaker 9: But good pro day didn't move the needle for me one way or another.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about another player, Liane, who was at that not Pro Day, but at that Colorado showcase. Travis Hunter didn't do dB drills, didn't run a forty, did run routes for Shador Sanders, which was interesting. What did you make of Travis Hunter's performance at the showcase.
Speaker 1: Well, first of.
Speaker 13: All, good teammate, you know, to go out there and run routes for his quarterback.
Speaker 9: I think that shows who Travis Hunter is. He's a good teammate. Number two, he.
Speaker 13: Wants to catch passes. He wants to be a wide receiver and he wants to be a cornerback. It's not a lot of talk when Travis Hunter says that he wants to do both things.
Speaker 5: And I think what's.
Speaker 13: Intriguing is in all of our mock drafts, we're kind of putting him either two with Cleveland or three with the Giants for the most part. Well, if he goes to the Giants, I think he's a for sure cornerback if he goes to the Browns, though, I think it's kind of interesting because you might see him play more receiver than cornerback potentially in the first year.
Speaker 9: Now, can he do both? Yes, he can do both.
Speaker 13: Will he hold up well physically? I think it's going to be tough over the length of an NFL schedule, But I think what Travis Hunter is showing you is that he wants to do both. He means it, and he's ready to do both. And I think he can do both. I think it's a question of who drafts him, the Giants or the Browns. That could have a big determination on how many reps he gets at either position.
Speaker 1: Lance not a lot of questions at Ashton genty, one of the top prospects in this draft, but with running backs you never know in terms of the positional value and when they actually go. Where do you have him in your latest month?
Speaker 13: So my latest, monk, I have him at number ten with the Bears. But listen, the question is for me, does he go six to the Raiders. If he goes six to the Raiders, then that sets in motion a lot of different dominoes falling in different directions. When I went Jalen Walker at six. You know, it's just you just kind of decide who is willing to take that running back early, and I had him going to the Bears, and I think they'd be a great fit for both parties if he is able to fall to ten. For me, he's the best player in this draft purely, the guy that I believe has the best chance to go get that gold jacket by the end of his career.
Speaker 9: I think he is. I think he's a tremendous talent.
Speaker 13: I think what he does in terms of being able to control games is very, very important.
Speaker 9: And so you know, when you.
Speaker 13: Look at where he could fall, you kind of want to look for teams that have young quarterbacks because a good running game takes a lot of pressure off young quarterbacks. So I think ten would be an incredible spot form But you know, we're walking him there a lot either six or ten that could lead a team that really loves him to shoot above those numbers and go try to trade up ahead of the Chicago Bears to grab genty if he does fall past six.
Speaker 4: Now let's talk about draft day trades. You know, Daniel Jeremiah does a mock draft and in his mock no trades until the last mock, you say hogwash, nonsense, you like trades. You have one involving Jackson Dart and the Saints.
Speaker 1: Tell us where you see him going?
Speaker 13: Bully bully, I say hogwash all those old sivin terms.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, for me, I think Jackson Dart is the real wild card here.
Speaker 1: Jackson Dart.
Speaker 13: Let's talk about the Saints liking Jackson Dart, the Steelers, and I know the Steelers recently had him in for a visit. Although I think that's an interesting fit with the Steelers having so many vertical targets like like DK metcalf now and and Pickens, and then you've got a quarterback who I think has to struggle a little bit to push it with velocity down the field. But Jackson Dart is a real wild card in this one, and I had the Saints trading up to number thirty two to grab him. But there's a lot of talk that he could be the second quarterback off the board here. So Jackson Dart is one to really keep an eye on. I think he goes in the first I'm just not sure where it's going to be. Is it going to be a trade end spot. Is it going to be a trade back spot or is it going to be somebody that really shocks and surprises us. That's going to be the question. And another guy he didn't ask me about it, but I think the battle between Shador Sanders, Jackson Dart and then Tyler Tyler shut from Louisville, who you guys are spoken with, I think that is a really really interesting battle for who the second and third quarterbacks are off the board.
Speaker 1: That's always great stuff. Sure, we'll talk to you again. My one request next time we have you on, I want the entire segment in the fog Horn Leghorn voice just.
Speaker 9: For you, Tom. I've got it in my bag for.
Speaker 1: You, full draft reviews in that voice next time we're doing at Lance. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Gino Smith and made it official today, finally signed his extension with the Las Vegas Raiders that of course reunites him with head coach Pete Carroll. We heard earlier in the show from Gino talking about Pete. Let's hear from Pete talking about Geno.
Speaker 8: Well, he's going to bring us great stability in belief in the kinds of things that we stand for. His habits are so stellar. The way he works, the way he looks at the game, the way he looks at the challenges of it all is exactly in line with the way we think, and so he'll represent us in magnificent fashion. I think it gives us instant stability at a crucial spot. The history that we have and my understanding of g and how to help him be the best he can be. And he knows how to bring out the best in our system because he'll stand for the competitiveness and the things that we believe in.
Speaker 5: It's just a.
Speaker 8: Great fit and I'm so thrilled to this has been coming, but today feels like the real deal.
Speaker 3: Well, Pete and Gina are going to get right to work. Mark Ross back with us on the Insiders because their off season program begins in Las Vegas tomorrow. What do you expect the emphasis to be there, Mark.
Speaker 12: Well, of course, with Gino and Pete being together, they know what they will expect from one another. It's not a situation where you have a new head coach going or drafting a pick, a first round pick, or bringing in a freeze if they don't know. Gino knows what to expect from Pete coaching him, and Pete knows what they expect from Gino as far as working, and don't forget the owner there, Tom Brady might be able to dip into some meetings or some practices and give his advice to Gino.
Speaker 2: And Geno's the ultimate professional.
Speaker 12: And Judy, if you remember, it's just so ironic and unbelievable that Geno Smith when we were with the Giants, we started him against the Raiders when they were in Oakland, which caused the windfall of a lot of people getting fired. So it's just so unreal that now he is starting for the Raiders and got a couple of Pro bowls under his belt, and it's got that whole new contract.
Speaker 2: To say that he is the man.
Speaker 12: So I'm supposed to root for people at my job, and I root for Gino Smith is because I know all that he went through, and Judy, I think you might covered that a little bit there back in the day.
Speaker 3: I did, and also his years that the jets Ie two rooted for Gino Smith. All right, they are still doing a bit of rebuilding though in Las Vegas. They've got the number six pick in the first round of the draft, where you think they're going to head with that pick.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, we had it on earlier that they brought in Aston Gent And it all doesn't always mean that that's your guy. If you bring some win a lot of smoke screens, but it does for me make too much sense, and that Assden Genty by far, in my view, is the best running back in the draft.
Speaker 2: Can be an ultimate playmaker.
Speaker 12: And what we learned from last year with running backs, it's don't draft a running back or sign a running back to save your franchise. If you bring a great running back onto a team with an established quarterback, as we saw with Saguan going to the Eagles, Dereck Henry going with Lamar Jackson, then it takes it to another level. So the Raiders and Pete Carroll have to be looking at it as Esson Genty is my Marshawn Lynch. I've got my Russell Wilson and Gino Smith and now I can go build my offense around that. And when Pete Carroll won the Super Bowl with Super Bowl with the Seahawks, it was Doug Ball wins and the Golden Tates of the world. So okay, now the rest of the draft go find me some receivers later on the draft to pair with Brock Bauers genty and Gino Smith.
Speaker 3: That would be a fun pick. Mark Ross, thank you so much for joining us. And when we return, if you are Detroit Lions fan, stick around because we have a site for sore eyes for you. There's a teaser. Aiden Hutchinson is involved. Join us when we come back.
Speaker 1: Chris McCaffrey. Everyone looking forward to seeing him back on the field soon. But for now, Ell, he's got a pregnant Olivia Coppo and he's got his jersey being retired at his high school alma mater, Valor Christian in Colorado. Congratulations to Christian. The Rams announcing plans today for a fifty two acre development in Warner Center in Woodland Hills, California. It's going to be called Rams Village at Warner Center. Entering their tenth year now in Los Angeles. Sean mcveigu joked at one point that they promised him when he was hired back in twenty seventeen. They were in temporary facilities. Temporary became a nearly decade long stay. But Woodland Hills here they come pretty futuristic looking right there and how about this a site for sore eyes. Aiden Hutchinson running full speed on a field again, changing directions right here. Probably not surprising because Aid Hutchinson thought if the lines had made the Super Bowl, he had a chance to play in that game. But Ian, it's almost like if we zoomed the camera, you can see a sign at the other end saying forty million a year. Run this way, forty million dollars a year, A contract that's probably coming soon and later. For Aden Hutchinson short term, it looks like he's just already to get back on the field.
Speaker 4: I mean, I have two thoughts watching this one. He was adamant that if they made the Super he would have played. Would he I have no idea, but I would have liked to see if that actually took place. The other thing, Judy is Aiden Hutchinson's gonna be very rich. We've seen several pass rushers get rich this offseason. He doesn't have to do anything else except show he is healthy. And I don't know, looks like he's pretty healthy to me, just saying.
Speaker 3: I would just say, didn't we see the last video was like two months ago, and I thought that looked pretty good. I am certainly no running expert, no physiologists, but this looks so much better. He is running so smoothly and changing direction. It's great to see. Pay him all the money awesome. Can't wait to see Aiden Hutchinson back on the field.
Speaker 1: There was all this speculation from fans and media this offseason. I get a trade for a big time pass rusher. This is your acquired big time pause rusher. A guy got injured in Week six last year. Aiden Hutchinson is your guy. Whoever's on the other side is probably gonna eat, just via osmosis, the process of elimination. We're back tomorrow, seven of you at Measter time. See you