Speaker 1: Look Marrier, Oh, I see you.
Speaker 2: My own look over there is that culture.
Speaker 1: Yes, lost culture ding d Lost culture is just calling. So the vibes are very summer today as New York has turned a corner and become hot. And I'm gonna say it, I'm going to already complain a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I think once the deal is broken, that is when you really get it out of your system. And I think you're gonna sort of like fold into it for the rest of the seas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I've just had my first summer sweat and I'm like no, because it's like, you idealize New York so much.
Speaker 2: Because now I live in LA.
Speaker 1: As we all have heard me talk about this LA New York conversation is ongoing culturally, especially Real Culture number ninety two.
Speaker 2: This La New York conversations is ongoing culturally, And.
Speaker 1: You learned recently. What I've learned recently is that humidity still exists. I mean, you know, it doesn't go away just because you idealize New.
Speaker 2: York and that's New York and not LA. And that's New York. There's no humidity in LA.
Speaker 1: They probably should go over there because the hurricanes have come here, like a lot of culture happened hurricanes.
Speaker 3: I feel like cypress trees. They got to be drinking up a lot of water. Who and the palm is good without but the cypress, which is my favorite thing about La. I don't care too much about the terrain. I agree with Chloe Sevani. The water is too hard. Ye see it very hard. As soon as you're done with the shower, you see it sort of like caking at the corner. And I go, I don't like that mildew. I don't like that calcium around me.
Speaker 1: When Chloe Sevanie dragged La, I was like, she's right, Yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 2: I'm out of here.
Speaker 1: And then I came here and I'm seconds into being a New York again, and I'm like, it's yellmen, I'm between two California legends.
Speaker 2: California legends. Indeed, so get this.
Speaker 1: Our guest today hosts a late night program and it films right next door to my house, which was convenient for me when I got booked the show. What every actor dreams on the Machine, especially really coaching number fifty, What every actor dreams us to be booked on the show, on the show and I went there and I was just like, this is the life host your fun ass late night show next to Matt Rogers's apartment, right next to my apartment where the party is really smacks like Seddy Davis when you go in. I was rude to everyone. It was a total bitch coming in. Now I was a sweetheart.
Speaker 3: New Fate Dunaway clip is kind of making the rounds where she has to pick up a line. She goes, I'll pick it up, yeah, okay, yeah, Fee, And then she goes into the line again. You know the thing about being an actress, can you actually move?
Speaker 2: You're in my eye line? She started to give.
Speaker 1: She started to give capital f fay, capital f fay. Honestly, not since Fee have we seen a true legend, a true Now Hollywood has sort of you know, I would tell everyone to brace themselves because there's some all in the paramount lot. Who's coming, Who's coming, She's here with us, She's here, she's arrived, she's coming. Last night I watched Have It All So Good? Netflix Stand up special? Have you seen Looking for You?
Speaker 2: Yes? I saw that. Ojey.
Speaker 1: We call that when you see it Ojelee. It's mean when you watch it when you see it, when you watch it when it comes out. Now, I think our guest has early Taylor Swift cadence of releases every two years, you know, like, oh okay, it's time for the special. So you think soon she's going to be like way oversaturated World War eras Taylor Tomlinson, the Other Taylor the Other working title of app. We'll definitely get better than that. We'll definitely have one already is great. This person would never tell anyone to get out of her island because she's really good on prompter.
Speaker 2: Really good on prompter.
Speaker 1: You've seen this person, I've seen it in action. And when someone is good on prompter, your shoulders drop because you think I'm safe. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's a skilled because guess who's not good on prompter? That's a lie, you idiot. Good on cue cards?
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: What is the goddamn difference?
Speaker 3: C cards harder no Q cards can be in any situation. If you put a prompter, if you put a monitor with words on it, spatially, the footprint is such that it can't fit everywhere you want it to, on a set, right on the stage. And so therefore also we have monitors that are not wired that go out, that black out at any given moment.
Speaker 1: Technology can be a huge betrayer of a performer. It's actually really coach are number forty. Technology can be a huge betrayer.
Speaker 2: Of a live performer.
Speaker 3: So cue cards and also they've been recently unionized, which we celebrate.
Speaker 1: Love that, and maybe we'll change the culture at after midnight because maybe they'll bring Q cards in.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think our guests is very comfortable on the prompter, So I don't want to like Perturban like, it's.
Speaker 1: Not about comfort, It's about getting union men jobs. Okay, okay, Aretty Strong, our guest is one of the greats, she say. When I remember I told her this when I did her show, Like when I saw her at JFL in twenty nineteen, she was one of varieties new faces alongside Joel Kim and Jabuki, a bunch of our friends. It was a memorable night and Southern Mama, I was like, my surprise that she has leveled up in such a way and become this like comedians comedian. And I went to my coffee shop today and told the girl that worked there she was on the show, and she collapsed. She watches her for your Standus specials like every night before bed, like just one of the greats, like my shock registers at zero that she's so successful and just one of the best.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy she's here, So happy she's here. Everyone welcome, talented.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I have so much to say that's good on a podcast.
Speaker 5: First off, equally surprised you feel that way about que cards, the fact that you can read handwriting better than.
Speaker 2: They put our guys through class.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, where it's like you got to make sure the A has a peek and you got to make sure you know the Q looks doesn't look too funky, like the letters have to be glyphic in.
Speaker 5: The yeah, and I hear you on the blacking out with the prompter. But like if the person holding the Q cards is going through something.
Speaker 4: Like, there's the same there's the same room for air. I think in a different way.
Speaker 5: I was so surprised everybody was so impressed I could read tell a prompter, like to a point where I'm like, is everybody making fun of me? What I was like, when we can They told me for the screen test, they were like, you need to practice. They were like, we're rooting for you to get this job. Practice. So I was on TikTok watching local news anchors do teleprompter tests and and those are the real legends. And they were so fast, and of course none of them are funny. It's like five car pile up on the freeway today. And I was practicing alone in my room like a crazy person, and then I got in. I was like, this is so much easier. They're going with my the speed of my speaking. Yeah, And truly three months in, people are still like you are so good on prompt I'm like, you know, I do stand up for memory. I'm gonna memorize my jokes everyone. Yes, but people are just more impressed when you're on television than they are by live performance.
Speaker 1: For some reason. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: But don't you feel like it's the same lobe in your brain that like is good at like filing away, like what you're going to stay next on stage without a prompter and what you say on that.
Speaker 5: I actually think No, I think they're different, which it actually your show so perfect because you get the props for both. You're like I'm reading and I'm doing something live.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, sure, good for you coded it is.
Speaker 1: It's very this coded for visual medium. I'm patting my head and rubbing my tummy, which you're doing so well.
Speaker 2: It's not bad.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you right now, I'm not doing it badly, pretty good.
Speaker 4: I like, and I could bet I could do a prompter while I do yeah, yeah, no hesitation.
Speaker 2: I already fucked up.
Speaker 3: Our first interaction in years Taylor, where we saw each other in the lobby. I was like, it's so nice to me. I've been a fan and I remember that the JFL sat and you did it so classically. You were like, we did meet that one time at JFL. Joel Kan Booster introduced us.
Speaker 1: No, and I shouldn't have even said no. I should have pretended because it.
Speaker 4: Was so brief the way we met. We met on the street.
Speaker 5: Joel Can Booster and I said hi to each other and like introduced us so quickly, and I shouldn't have even said anything.
Speaker 1: I should have said nice to meet you too. I wish there were cameras around for that moment, because we need a reality travel.
Speaker 2: You need real everyone does.
Speaker 3: You and your siblings would make a great reality what's your dad like? Just that would great?
Speaker 5: We don't speak to our dad, but yeah, it was. But yes, the four of us are very funny and great.
Speaker 1: Sure premise it conflict there, but your dad's such great fodder for the show though, for your your stets, Yeah about it.
Speaker 5: I think everybody's parents are great fodder for I mean everybody doing stand up you talk about your family? Ye, like yeah, total is it that Flannery O'Connor quote or she said anyone with a childhood has enough material for the rest of their life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounds like flannering and then and then and then it was and then it becomes a terrifying story about you know a woman. I think Flannering O'Connor wrote Baby Reindeer. Wow, Baby Reindeer is a very O'Connor. That's why that's what it's catching on. So that's like there's a huge netflix for him today. Wait a minute, I've you just like lit up something in me. Flannering O'Connor really buffed me up in college and I haven't gotten the chance to talk about that woman. Okay, there's a ghost tour in Savannah where you go, you go, you go to a house and you'really.
Speaker 1: Did hit the hip you did.
Speaker 2: You actually plowed as hippocat No.
Speaker 5: And this is great because Savannah. I'm going there on tour in the fall. It's not announcedent, but we are doing that. And it's the one city I haven't performed in that I've always wanted to go to.
Speaker 1: It's such a great city. We performed there like years ago with our skeedch group and it was like Charleston. Oh, take back everything I've said. They are not the same, a similar city.
Speaker 4: Keep it in keep give me equally haunted, equally haunted that say, in Augustine, Florida.
Speaker 1: Ever been there? No, go there? Drink from the uh what is it? The fountain of Youth? Oh, and that's where it is. Go see a haunted house. Oh well, be sorry. You'll feel a little sick from the water, and you'll feel a little disturb from the ghost.
Speaker 2: The Mountain of Youth.
Speaker 3: Now, was that like a conky stador in like the thirteen hundreds? Being like, we found it and it's just like a hot.
Speaker 2: Spring very much.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, yeah, well it doesn't actually keep you young, I've aged. I mean, you do look great, Thank you so much. I absolutely lathered on moistries of here, because the other thing about New is you.
Speaker 2: Drink so much here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you drink so much. You drink alcohol all the time because you're always like out and fun and doing things in New York. And then you go to LA and you're like, I'm putting on a face mask, I'm getting a facial I'm drinking only water tonight. If I have a diet coke, that's fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: If you need to treat I got drunk for the first time last September in New York for the first time, for the first time ever.
Speaker 1: Was well, I sold out.
Speaker 5: Radio City twice and my ex fiance came to a show and I was like, I've earned this. Yeah, I can get drunk now. And so we went to is it Maurice's Crisis or Crises, which.
Speaker 4: Is whatever whatever you want depending on whatever you say right now forever. So that's where I got drunk and it was perfect. Yeah, it was so nice.
Speaker 5: So there's just a video of me drunkenly singingly miss oh perfect.
Speaker 2: So you did the whole thing at Maurice Crisis, Yes, you.
Speaker 1: Did the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where I just got drunk and was like venmoing people and to find out.
Speaker 1: That that's who you are as a drunk person sun ass and sings lames. It was really wrong.
Speaker 5: What's yours? That's what they were, that's what they were playing. I didn't like request it, but they played it.
Speaker 3: So you sang every part basically, Yes, you were the John you were?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, speaking of lame is, do you still have the Hugh jack and glove? I gave it to my that's my manager.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I like framed it and I also got a Sutton Foster glove, so I framed both of them and I gave it to her at the taping for Have It All.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's amazing. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: So you leave out the Sutton Foster part of the story because it's not going to play.
Speaker 2: And let's say, yeah, exactly, it's not. She plays all the time in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm going to take this show to Australia, London. It'll work there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it may not be. I love Sutton Foster, We love Sutton love Sutton Foster.
Speaker 1: I mean, does it all?
Speaker 2: Does it all?
Speaker 1: And but does it all? I mean I don't think there's a role on Broadway. She hasn't played. Oh I'm not dragging her. Yeah, I'm saying she opens a lot of shops. It's like her and like a few other people that, like, you know, if they're in a show, like, people are going to go see it. And that's why I'm just like, let's get more of let's get that, let's develop more stars, let's make that. And I'm so happy now we got to talk about this because that's what we're doing over at CBS.
Speaker 4: We that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: My god, we're creating new stars. I'm actually surprised to hear that you screen tested for it. I would have thought they developed this around you, right.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, oh no, I mean this show is it's a reimagining of at Midnight, So like this is not you know, it's it's different than at.
Speaker 1: Midnight in Pitch at Midnight And they were like, you know this is something hunt.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, absolutely no.
Speaker 5: I mean they hired Joe Firestone before they hired me, Like, I think they screen tested a few people, and so that was interesting to do all this press before the show came out, before I was even hosting the show, and they're asking me about it and they're like, so your show and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Not my show, like interesting in a good way. I love that about it.
Speaker 5: I'm like I am an employee, like I'm part of a team. And it's why I wanted to do it, because stand up such a solo sport, you know, And I was like, oh, I would love to come home and work with a group of people that I really like, which I do, and you know, it would take something like that to get me off the road in a significant way. But yeah, I really I was very uncomfortable doing press because I was having a hard time going like, yep, this is the Taylor Tomlinson hour.
Speaker 4: It's really not at all.
Speaker 5: I have a very specific job, which is like make three other people look good every night.
Speaker 4: Like if I'm funny, it's like a bonus.
Speaker 2: Well it usually happens.
Speaker 1: It feels really good when you got to go do the show because like, it feels so great when you get there because the writers are all great. I mean yes, for people out there that don't know, Sam Tiger rights for the show. Joe Bierstone is the head writer. This is Michelle Davis. Yeah, she's amazing. We met because we did Survivor. We did it Quarantine Survivor together. What we were both in the same We didn't know each other. I didn't even know she was a comedy writer. She's great, but we were just both in the same online virtual Survivor, which was all on Slack. And I remember they voted her out too early because she was a personality threat. Her personality was too good. I made I made it a really long way because they were like winning, you can keep her around. No one wants him to win. But that's true, you're not threatening enough, no in the personality. Yeah, do you wish she were sitting down on the show.
Speaker 5: Yes, Honestly, I'm surprised at how I have to wear heels almost every episode, Like we've kind of I have gotten my stylas Terror, who is amazing. She was putting me in the highest platforms you'd ever seen, and you know, everyone else in the show is like, you know, you don't have to wear that. You're behind the podium for most of it. I thought I'd be behind the podium the whole show, but one of I think the network notes was like we want one one act to be out in front of the podiums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we want to see them shoes.
Speaker 4: We want to see the shoe. We we just changed it.
Speaker 5: Where I was starting the show standing out front, introducing everybody, and we just changed it. Now I introduce people from behind the podium and it's so safe back there. Yeah, you can hold those things. Yeah, No, I've never I don't think i've ever. I never thought I was going to be sitting down. So it wasn't like I showed up and was.
Speaker 3: Like, what right, you know? But can I And I'm sure You've been told this many times. What I love about you is that you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, this is worth discussing because I think you are one of our great pacers. You are such a good paster on stage in your stand up nice and the spotlight really you really give the person behind the spotlight like you give them their paycheck because they are just following you.
Speaker 1: You're moving and what I love it for a minute, but it's all hitting. You can just tell you are out. You perform a ton right Like Yeah, I was reading that you you were one of the highest grossing comedians and I guess it was like one hundred and thirty shows in a year. That is wild. Yeah, it was a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a lot because we just kept adding, which was you know, as.
Speaker 1: You love being out there or because you're just like, are you someone that like likes your schedule to be full? I think both.
Speaker 5: I think I like being out there. And there's like once you start selling tickets, you just didn't sell tickets for so long that everyone's kind of going like, you better, what's the fra make hay while the sunshines.
Speaker 1: That I'll tuxt her, not knowing if she's said or alive, fully dead, fully dead? I learned today I don't know who that is. She rode great.
Speaker 4: I love her and great guys that put herself into Actually yeah she was like Stevany Myren Twilight.
Speaker 2: Cameo make kay, make Hay.
Speaker 5: You know you do feel like And also when during COVID, I thought I was one of the people it's done. I was like, it's over. There was a studio in la that had built a stage that was a wall of zoom screens, yes, like fifteen feet high, and it felt old black mirror. It was crazy, but we did it and we were like, I think this is the future. I think this is no one's ever going to anything live ever again. And then I think once everybody got vaccinated, it was actually the total opposite where everybody wanted to go and wanted to be seeing live events and experiencing life.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I bring up the pace thing because you are stationary standing up in your heels behind a podium, but you do you have a handhold with the podium, whereas.
Speaker 4: I'm leaning on it emotionally, and.
Speaker 1: That's what it's there for. It's literally what it's there for. The podiums are there to be leaned on. It's actually real coature number sixis are there to be leaned on?
Speaker 2: It just is you're doing the right thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Did you have fun on the show for real?
Speaker 1: And as I was leaving, it was that thing of like everyone being like that was so fun. That was so fun. I want to do it again because you feel what you were saying is like I guess that is like the consummate host thing to do. It's like, right, you get there and your job is to have everyone around you shine, and you get there and you immediately feel like there are so many jokes that are like like there for you, and they listen to you about what you want to say too, and you get paired with a writer and I had Sam and we know each other. And there was also so much of him in the humor too, which I loved and I was like, I was just it was a really good vibehow and you should be really proud of that.
Speaker 5: Again, I have literally nothing to do with anything, Like I can't take credit for anything about this show. Like I did not hire anybody. I'm one of the people they hired, and I'm so glad they did because everyone they hired is fucking lovely. Like there's not one person when I go into work and I'm like, I hope I don't run into so and so, Like everybody's so great. The writer's room is so talented, Like it is both harder and easier than I thought the job was going to be. But I mean, again, people being impressed I can read. I'm like I usually have to write my own shit, right, Like there's nine people writing me great jokes every day, Like this is the dream, this is sugestic.
Speaker 3: Are you like sort of reassured that, like you can succeed in bow of those like parameters though, Like I can nail my own stuff and I can beat the delivery system for someone else's things.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, keep all the plate spinning right in case this one shatters.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a whole other.
Speaker 5: Then you're like, well, I know you don't buy tickets to see me do stand up anymore?
Speaker 4: Did you know I could read?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I can actually read quite well. I do it almost every night, cold cold.
Speaker 4: Read every morning.
Speaker 5: And the hardest part of that job mispronouncing words in the writer's room cold read first off.
Speaker 4: Where I'm like, this is humiliating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And also I would imagine you're pretty like literate with pop culture and stuff. But like when there's a reference that you don't get, like such as Flannery O'Connor, like people could just be talking about her right in front of you and you don't even know who she is, right, Like that could happen like often, pretty often, But I feel like you are on your reference.
Speaker 5: There is I don't know, not always, there's sometimes I pretend and then we get to rehearsal and I go, Jack, can you explain.
Speaker 4: This joke to me?
Speaker 5: And then the whole control rooms like we don't really know either then, or Joe has to explain it to us, And like Joe Carson's like, I think it's just dumb, and I'm like, okay, I just wanted to make.
Speaker 4: Sure it was just dumb, just dumb, and I'm like, okay, good.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 5: I was embarrassed to ask in front of thirty people this morning, but.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we talked about it. That's great.
Speaker 5: And there's also times where they write a really funny joke and I'm like, I just have never said that before, Like I've never said, like read you to filth, like I've never said that, you know where. I'm like, I just I'm like, I just can't.
Speaker 1: Sell this, you know. I mean there's a lot of gay energy there because I remember like speaking of like you wearing shoes and like looking amazing. I actually did this gay thing to you.
Speaker 4: Do you remember remembers you never did. I think about it every night before I loved it.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 1: And you also did this. I was like you went up and down, yes, because honestly you had earned it. But right afterwards, I was just like, did I just like be so gay at her? But I was that's actually good because I actually am that gay and I met this when I did it, Yeah, I meant it.
Speaker 4: It didn't feel empty.
Speaker 2: It was motivating and it was positive. You're not an empty gesticulator.
Speaker 1: In fact, the girl today at the coffee shop who collapsed when I said that you were coming on the show literally goes, oh, I watch our show every night. Her suit.
Speaker 4: She watches the show too.
Speaker 1: She watches the show and she watches your stand up. She's a huge fan.
Speaker 5: So my favorite part of your episode is there is one point where I think James Davis buzzed in before you and you went.
Speaker 2: No, that's really my energy, though I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I've done a lot of game shows, even though this one's like fake and you know, like you're playing on both sides of that game show I've done. I've done a lot in that space, weirdly enough, not because I'm like passionate about the form. It just I say yes the shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there was a moment on we was on Celebrity Jeopardy where I screamed no when someone else got a thing because it was like, I think it was literally like a gay question for me, and I was like, I felt it was like a Beyonce question, and I was like, I felt it was completely unfair that someone else should be able to answer.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, this is my category. It was like it just didn't feel right, and so I made it known audibly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're like, this is TV. Let's run it again.
Speaker 2: Let's funny.
Speaker 4: We don't have to pretend this. We're really playing.
Speaker 1: I mean I got to be on the show with Caroline Ray's yeah, come on, yeah, you guys are really connecting.
Speaker 2: I felt definitely connected.
Speaker 4: I mean, all three of you played really well together.
Speaker 1: James, that was like you'd ever met anybody, like nobody had met each other. Caroline and I had had like an online like fest because she is Henry Persky, my ex and my musical director that's like his l a mom, so I know her a little bit and she does give that energy, but.
Speaker 2: Also just like one of the comics too, which is fun.
Speaker 1: She was so good.
Speaker 2: Yea and Hilda, come were you a Sabrina fan?
Speaker 4: I couldn't religious Household, no Witch, no Witches, no cable. I think we had cable, but it was like, I don't think we can watch like anything on Nicola.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like they were like Cat is too mean.
Speaker 5: To dog, Like it was like Angelica's too mean to the babies, Like it was cat.
Speaker 1: Is too mean to dog. Yeah, Angelica's behaviors were not in God's light. But no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: But all so demonic in a way.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, it was unnatural.
Speaker 1: It was unnatural. It was clearly that I don't know, was from Hell here to every child and like really being in the nightmares of kids, right, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but see this is a curious not a phenomenon. I just think there was a time when I felt so like I was like, what the fuck, like not a religious household, but no cable right, so I felt like I was going to school like totally huge in the dark, totally in the dark. But there were like the very religious kids who still had access to it, and it made me so jealous of like, see, like this should be a thing that like is restricted to you, and yet you have it, and yet you are being a very like pious child by like not non accessing it. Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, being sheltered as a kid is not a good situation. I think I watched Napoleon Dynamite through other kids, uh huh, quoting it, Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I think nap was actually kind of like youth group friendly too. I can't remember in it was. I think because of the way he dressed and the fact that he was so sexually non threatening. I think parents were like, this is fine, his t shirts tucked in. Yeah, he's clearly wearing clothes too.
Speaker 2: Warm for this heat. That we're okay.
Speaker 3: And I think there was the thing about John Hater being Mormon, where I think there was a lot of a lot of Christians at my school were like, oh no, we love Napoleon, like it's the one thing that we can watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was happy, happy for y'all.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, but I mean sheltered goes. But it's not just you can't watch this it's demonic. There's also just what's out, what's popular? Yeah, we're too busy watching veggietails. So did you details did.
Speaker 1: You go on like a spree at when you sort of got some freedom from that, Like, did you go on a pop culture spree?
Speaker 2: Did you say I'm reading every book about a witch?
Speaker 5: Well, I read Harry Potter for like two years, and then my dad took us to see the third one and was like, these dementors are the devil, these are demons, and so took it away devastated, absolutely devastated. And then like my senior year of high school, I think I saw the last one in theaters with my friends, Like it's like a senior activity.
Speaker 1: I don't even care.
Speaker 3: So when it was taken away from you, like what were you barred from doing? Like the books and the movies, all of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I was like obsessed, like obsessed for two years, like got me through my mother's death, and it was just gone one day and I was like, oh yeah, So when people make fun of millennials for liking Harry Potter, I'm like, that really got some of us through some shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very much.
Speaker 2: Like one thousand.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just talking about this yesterday because we were talking about JK and like what's gone down? Yeah yeah, And it's just like it's so shocking that someone can so understand the experience of being targeted for like being different, et cetera, and she can be this way, but I really do. I'm in the Daniel Radcliffe school of like if it was important to you, like that's all, it can stay important to you, like that are an impact that it had on you isn't invalidated by this person falling off the deep end whatever and for whatever she believes. But I did notice those Harry Potter referencesn't the specialists? Yeah, And I was like, this is formative, this is millennial formative, very formative.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Also, I listened to your Challengers episode this morning. You did, yes, see it well after you did our show. I like binge the podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: I love this podcast, which I'm sure you're sick of hearing because every guest is like, I love this. It's so nice to be excited to come to a podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm not like dreading it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I've been so excited.
Speaker 5: But I was so excited to talk to you both about Challenging because I saw you posting about it on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Saw it Friday, and I had seen it the night prior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw.
Speaker 5: It Saturday afternoon. I can't wait to see it again. And I listened to the whole thing because I was like, I don't want to be repetitive. I know that already covered it. Oh my god. The fucking truro scene start to finish, starting from when he pulls the stool over with his foot. That shot of the first shot of the foot Oh my god, we were. I saw it with my sibling and Zach. No Towers was opening for me, and yeah, Zach's the best. But the three of us saw it, and I was so jealous that you two. Did you sit together the same.
Speaker 2: We saw together the second seen it. I saw it Thursday because I just couldn't wait again.
Speaker 1: So I was like excited to go the next time too, And I tried to keep a secret that I had seen it, but I couldn't hold it in. I could not, So did you.
Speaker 5: Your theater was like excited. They were like cheering and laughing and all that.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 5: See, I was so jealous when I heard that because ours was quiet, but I actually think ours was just as into.
Speaker 4: It was totally packed, but everybody was like nobody was talking.
Speaker 5: Huh a whole movie. I mean, barely breathing the whole movie. Not to do spoilers, but just as vague as I can be. The racket part, which we also when it happened, because we were just sitting there like like, I don't think Zach and I were breathing for like a minute. It's in motion, and then it finally happened. I think we both went, yeah, just thank you.
Speaker 1: And you know what you were pointing at. You were pointing at incredible scripting, which is aspirational screenwriting. This is is it justin Kurritzky's Yeah, this is like even though you knew it was coming. And also credit to Luca Guardnino because like you knew he was going to do that to signal it. But what was great about that scene was watching him decide whether yeah, and so even if you saw it coming, the moral conundrum of is he about to tell his secret right now? And that if you felt like you were ahead of it, like that part still it like kept that tension up. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, I don't think everyone did see it coming. For the record, I'm not like, oh, that was so obviously. We all work in entertainment. We saw it coming from a mile away.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I would say, though, like you were saying, you were saying on this episode that like it is not so telegraphed. The way that that information is first planted is not like so obvious.
Speaker 2: It's not like Chekhov's gun when you're like, that's coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like he does it, and it's this fun moment in the movie. I don't know what it means, and then in the moment at the end when you realize it's coming, you're like, holy fuck, what is this gonna push it to? Yeah? And then where it pushes it to is I believe signature, iconic important.
Speaker 2: I love it well.
Speaker 3: You and Zach were doing there with the pointing it's reminding me of this thing. Okay, So you were on Stradio Lab Perfect Perfect episode. You were saying, how like, if it's like a comedy bit that can work anywhere, rather than like an alt thing where you're just performing to the comedians in the audience, if it's a comedy bit that can work anywhere, a comedian won't.
Speaker 1: Laugh haha, but they'll go that's fucking great. Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, that's your response to like seeing something that you like just know is sublime. And rather than being like ah, which we were in our theater, you and Zach were like right there, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Which is the hardest part about after midnight, maybe that I have to make my face and voice do what my heart is doing when people have a good joke.
Speaker 1: Is I can't just go that's.
Speaker 5: Good, and you have to really make yourself audibly laugh yeah, which has not come naturally.
Speaker 2: When do you think that's stopped? Were you ever a laugher?
Speaker 4: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I mean you're a great laugher though.
Speaker 5: That's so nice. I'm so glad and it feels real, feel good. I mean it is really, the emotion is real. It's just the physical act of It's like when you're younger and they're like you have resting bitchface and you're like, I guess I have to address that, you know.
Speaker 4: And I mean, I've been doing stand.
Speaker 5: Ups since I was sixteen, so it's hard to know exactly when I became a dead eyed comedian because I can't I'm like a laugher at fifteen, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: So I don't really know, you know what's funny, Like I was always a laugher, and then I was. We were both laughers through college, Like I remember that was a thing. Like we would go to each other's shows and they'd be like, they laughed so loud Owen's laughing at Matt stuff Matt's and they were like, it's not as funny as they're laughing, But we were genuinely were like we thought it was yeah, And then I don't know what happened, but maybe in like twenties, late twenties, like when comedy was the only thing I did feel that stop and I don't know what that is. It's come back, I think as I've stopped doing explicit comedy as much and now do more acting, but like it's been nice to feel like entertained again by stand up, because that is something when you're around it so much as it does start to feel like it's less about acknowledging it, like in a visceral laughing way, and more about like being like I'm giving them credit for that, yes you know, yeah, yeah, and it's important to give the credit. Yeah you know. It means something to comics. Like That's why I like, I would imagine JFL like where we first saw you was like a whole thing because it's like there's audiences that are laughing, and also the industry is such a thing there, but like there's also the other comics there and like the sharing of like everyone's comedy. I remember that was a really fun night that night that you were performing just for laughs, the variety, the variety.
Speaker 5: So I totally forgot we even performed for that. I only remember doing the like panel we did, like a panel for.
Speaker 3: It, uh huh, truly rip because I know, I know there were some people in comedy who were kind of like dang dong, the Witch is dead, which when JFL kind of stopped growing up in Montreal, it was the thing that like got me, you know, like it would be a thing where you like go into town in the summer and like there would just be like free performances outside and like little kid me like sees a min do a fucking quabei qua ass thing and I'm like, I love this, Like what is this about? And it is kind of sad that it's it is this institution and like we warn it to an extent, but like it is kind of like it's one less outlet for like comedians coming up now, which is like kind of a bummer.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, not to bring this down.
Speaker 5: Well no, no no, And it is weird when things sort of cycle out and something else becomes the thing. Like I remember when I got the fifteen Minutes on Netflix. I think that same year they offered me the half hour on Comedy Central, which was all I ever wanted. But then by that point it like wasn't the smartest idea to do that because people couldn't find it or watch it as they weren't putting it online. Right, So like things shift and the thing that was your dream as a kid goes away. Like I feel so bad for people who wanted to be on Conan and like just missed it, Like, oh my god, it sucks because I thankfully got to do it a couple of times and that was like the dream for years because that's what I watched growing up.
Speaker 2: Ah, you were ahead, like this is a thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So starting at sixteen, I think you and I have hit the mark where it's the majority of our lives now has been us trying to like aspire to comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, have you.
Speaker 4: Been doing this podcast for eight years?
Speaker 1: Eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's crazy crazy.
Speaker 1: It's just saying we're over four hundred episodes now and it feels so weird. It's now been a part of our life for while, and like that was like years into us doing comedy too, So what you're saying is true.
Speaker 2: It's like half our life we've been trying to do this.
Speaker 3: So, like, do you anticipate any feeling about when you hit the that mark? So I guess whatever not to like do the math, but like, once you're at that point, does it mean anything to you that you're like, I've been doing this, this is occupied most of my life.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 5: If I say it explicitly and have it all, I think I might say like, I've been doing this for half my life. Yeah, because I turned thirty right before I filmed that, and yeah, that's almost.
Speaker 1: Started at sixteen. Yeah, so what does that look like like you go, because I would imagine, like you said, you grew up with a sheltered upbringing, were in churches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, started in churches. Okay, so it's like, what is a church? Sts? What is it do?
Speaker 1: A set church? Is it about Leviticus? No?
Speaker 5: I mean some people did. People did a lot of church jokes. I didn't have any church jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think I had like abstinence, which not every church would even let you do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I fell to which I.
Speaker 5: Was like, I'm pro absentence got like I was seventeen and I'm like whatever, I'm never whatever. I'm so stupid now, But at the time, I was like I'm saying the right thing, and they're like don't even bring it up, like, don't even talk about sex.
Speaker 1: So funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had the thing where totally different from stand up though, where it was like we were doing improv in high school and we would go downtown on Mondays, Yeah, to the Boobye Metropolis Theater in Denver, Colorado, and it would be like fifteen year olds performing with like thirty two year old like drunkards wild, but.
Speaker 2: There was totally normal to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like this is what we want to do and like yeah, but those shows we would say like it was to get our suck out. It was ye was thrust to bomb and bomb and bomb and bombing and bomb. Wo'd be comfortable with bombing? Yeah, I'm sure it's not the same with you, but like.
Speaker 4: No, it is really absolutely Yeah, No, you suck for so long. Yeah, stand up you suck for and.
Speaker 2: That had to be terrible to suck in a church.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I think churches are a weirdly sorry took me a minute. I hate it when you suck again, what people are I actually think if you were clean, they were actually too supportive. Where I'm performing for like hundreds, if not thousands of people for fifteen minutes when I'd been on stage less than thirty times, yeah, and making a couple hundred dollars, Like that's insane. R talk about a safe, supportive space. And then by the time I was going up in clubs when I was eighteen in San Diego, people were like, how'd you get so polished on stage? And I'm like, I got too much stage time too early, just because I was clean. And it's such a small scene, if you could even call that circuit, I would say.
Speaker 1: And so when you're that age, like and you're starting to do stand up, like but you've had the upbringing that you had, like who are the icons?
Speaker 2: Like who do you look up to?
Speaker 1: Like Brian Reagan?
Speaker 5: Okay, you can listen to there's a serious XM clean comedy station.
Speaker 1: That was the one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 5: Was like Brian Reagan and Jim Gas again. And then they're like, hey, Mitch Hedberg actually okay, Like Mitch was okay, yeah, he was a lot. Yeah, I mean not every single one. He did swear sometimes, you know, there were certain ones.
Speaker 1: Were there not a lot of female stand ups. Then at the time you Madigan at so good, you feel like at that time, like a lot of female stand ups were sort of like airing on the side of like edgier because they felt like maybe they felt like they had something to prove or literally did because they're just they weren't giving them the time and the space, so that probably made them something that was outside of your viewing habits because they were not appropriate. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, it was like Kathleen and Ellen is like who you could listen to comfortably with your parents in the car.
Speaker 4: Sure, And I don't know.
Speaker 5: I get annoyed when people go like, isn't it just such a boys club?
Speaker 4: And you're like shot up. No, like not anymore.
Speaker 1: The Internet.
Speaker 5: It hasn't been for years, but you know, fifteen years, isn't that long ago that or even ten years ago that.
Speaker 1: That was such a thing.
Speaker 5: Like I remember Bride'smaids came out my senior year of high school and it was like, hi about formative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like insane. They were like so many funny women in one.
Speaker 5: Movie and they let them make this and it's so wild, And again that's not really that long ago. But now we're like, oh, we have girls trip, we have joy, right, like we have so many of those examples now, Yeah, yeah, we're you know, it's easy to forget.
Speaker 1: That's totally.
Speaker 2: While we're in this zone, we should ask the central question of the podcast.
Speaker 1: Taylor Tomlinson, what is the culture that made you say culture is for me?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: I thought about this a lot, A lot of things I could say. I think the culture that made me say culture was for me was Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet Oh in ninth grade, good for you, thank you when we all good, when we all thank you so much, when we were all like, do I understand Shakespeare? Like you're fourteen, You're like, I get it. And then you could watch Clueless and be like, this is also Shakespeare. Yeah, it's Jane O's but like Shakespeare. Yeah, You're like I totally get the You're like it's a book, and I was like, oh okay, Like you just felt like you were.
Speaker 2: So in both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, it really.
Speaker 5: It just because my sibling and I actually we watched some of it last night because I was like, I gotta remember this movie, and I think it holds up.
Speaker 4: It's oh yeah, I think it's so good.
Speaker 1: It holds up at the very least as a shampoo commercial. I mean, is giving you Guarnier fruit tees water went down fish tank commercial honestly, Yeah, the fish tank culture thing. Bring back the.
Speaker 3: Fish tank such a seventies eighties thing that like really died maybe with that movie.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately I can't think of another one. I can't think of another fish tank, you know what I mean? Well, the one Monique Samuel's had in her house on Real Housewives of Potomac. Oh, sure she's she's not in front of it, but that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: I would say that that movie was not only a Leo moment, but that was that was the Clardines moment. Yes, that was after my.
Speaker 4: She's fresh off of my so called life and little Women.
Speaker 1: You have to imagine like she could have made like Kate Win's lily Choices and choice Titanic. Yes, this is wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now did you see this before or after Titanic? Oh?
Speaker 4: Because I think I saw Titanic first.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, So so we had the same order of this Leo fever Leo fever and then you go back and watch for Me and Juliet and it is just God blessed Jack Dawson. But there's something about Leo playing Romeo that is the actual awakening.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Well, he's wearing a suit, and he's.
Speaker 3: Wearing a suit, he's wearing he's wearing armor, he's wearing like yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's the one outfit in Titanic, right, you know, I mean he's And then he cleans.
Speaker 4: Up and you're like, yeah he does, but again for a second, and they slick his hair back and it actually is not as.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work, you know what. I understand it for people, it's not for me.
Speaker 4: I want to And he goes downstairs and he takes off the jacket.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. He had that insane side bang too that everyone tried to do, like that that moment, this.
Speaker 3: Swoop woop, the swoop. But that's really can I I'm gonna be annoying. We did a sketch on us now, so good, thank you loved it was great.
Speaker 1: It was so good.
Speaker 3: I get an email and I have I've been too scared to reply.
Speaker 1: Can I should I just do it? What? I don't know what reply?
Speaker 2: I get two calls from an from an unknown number.
Speaker 1: What is this? Then I get an email bazzler, shut up, I'm gonna read it.
Speaker 2: And then I cut it out of it if it feels too but email, you can't cut it out. This is the thing. I have not replied to him, and I'm reading. I think we're going to.
Speaker 1: See what the contents of the email are and then we're gonna Okay, he's not mad, he's not mad. Okay.
Speaker 3: The subject line is I wish you'd been around when I was casting. Don't tell you, and hey boen, this is a note from a fellow Aussie. First, I wanted to how well you Neil Mila reginas Now if only he'd been around when I was casting? Jokes aside, I love that you Okay, Yeah, anyway, this is all very very sweet.
Speaker 1: How would you feel about a coffee you gotta get?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 5: It's not obnoxious, and it's good because now if he had any feelings about like, oh, neering, didn't respond. Now it's out there that you're like, I was too scared you too much?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was at the same house party as baz Lerman in La and he hangs out. This guy hangs out at me. I'm just saying it was after one am. You were not getting coffee you were singingly miss I was not. It was just so funny to see him out in the world because he's one of those directors that's like also a star. Yeah you know what I mean, like and they're out there, but like he's a star just being the director. He didn't start as like a personality. You see that white silver head and you're like, you are that girl? Yeah that's yeah, they are so Romeo and Juliet does that. So you're a beast freak. Yeah I liked I like, did you guys? Like?
Speaker 5: I mean, now you're getting coffee, beast, so now maybe you can't speak, we can still talk about our Okay, okay, great did you like Great Gatsby?
Speaker 1: I didn't see it.
Speaker 4: You didn't see it? Oh thank god?
Speaker 1: So you don't say I liked it.
Speaker 4: I liked it, but a lot of people, like you should have seen it.
Speaker 1: I thought he was great.
Speaker 2: Harry. Harry was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's the time you canon in that It was Toby Maguire. No, no, it was no, no, no, he was.
Speaker 2: He was no, no, he was sorry.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, I didn't see Okay, look it up, but I didn't say.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I want to say, I want to see.
Speaker 1: I was going to say yes.
Speaker 4: But I thought I was wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Elizabeth, Wow, yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes, it had a great cast.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god. Honestly, do you like Hanna?
Speaker 1: I do. I recently got into Alanna and now it's a large part of my personality.
Speaker 4: But you never were before.
Speaker 1: Know what's funny is we were saying that we think that the millennial generation either really fucking gets her or really doesn't.
Speaker 4: And what I blame is the SNL performance. Oh yeah, because remember when she came out you're talking about this, Yes, m.
Speaker 1: Did that SNL performance, and it kind of was like I was really following SNL at the time, like obsessed, and I remember the narrative wasn't great about that, and then christ and we came out and did that wag end update character and like thatthrope to be like to defend her.
Speaker 3: Let's just like Nile, let's just cool down, Like this is crazy. Everyone's losing their minds over this woman. Yeah, in a weird way.
Speaker 1: But in that regard, like the conversation was so about something else that wasn't her music. And I also don't think my taste was like refined, not that it necessarily is now, but I can listen to her music now and like really appreciate how incredible the songwriting is, both yeah and melodically, and also when you look at the past ten fifteen years, like just how much she shaped the sound of all these girls, because it's almost the same impact that like the style of saying Mariah and Whitney and Selene had on, like Christina Aguilera and like Disciples in that regard, it's happening again now with like Alna Delray into like Billie Eilish and Camila Cabello and like you know you just Taylor Swift, like you just and they're not shy either about saying she's mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In my coffee shop in La, the girls the girls love Lana, and I told them Taylor, and the one girl goes, wait, I love Lana gen Z wait, I love Lana, And then I go, you love her. She goes, she's my mother. Wide I directly, she's my mother. It was very good. That's so funny.
Speaker 5: It's so funny all the little isms from gen Z. Because I have three younger Siblings's times I feel so old because I'm like, that's so funny. How you do that and they're like, oh, this is like a thing we all do. Yeah that I thought they like made up.
Speaker 2: You have to start doing that.
Speaker 1: I have you have just show when you think something is funny, just like, oh it's so cool. Old I can't. I'm so old.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I do the hair behind the ear and I'm like, shut up, you're thirty.
Speaker 1: Well it's a little yeah. Oh I've been doing that since a young age. And I have nothing here. We're just gay.
Speaker 2: You are the youth. You are the youth.
Speaker 4: We're sitting you are the youth.
Speaker 3: We're too wizard gay men in their mid thirties and we're telling you you are a young child.
Speaker 1: You turn thirty and I had a rush of jealousy. Really no, not really. I actually thinks all the same age once you hit thirty and like all the same you were all the same age.
Speaker 2: And also it kind of gets better.
Speaker 1: You couldn't pay me to be in my twenties again, you fuck no, no, fuck no, but you really I think you really provoked thought within me when you talk about turning thirty and have it all where it's like, is the life not to get too existential, but like, is this the life that like we envisioned for ourselves, you know what I mean? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the metaphor of like being on a freeway and like you're in one lane that's backed up, and then you switch to the other and then you get to switch back to the other.
Speaker 1: Like that's what it feels like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I feel like maybe I've been in the same lane too long career wise, right where I'm like.
Speaker 4: You feel that way, Well, I'm like I don't have breaking quit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where this is where I now.
Speaker 4: Get to one email from basle and quit as.
Speaker 1: We can blame your special yes, exactly the stuff that you said made him quit.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that way though? I've been in comedy for too long.
Speaker 2: No, not comedy.
Speaker 3: I've just been like it's just been like and I'm super I'm so lucky. This is constantly what the theme is in therapy of like, yeah, like I don't know how to like operate outside of this system.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you feel like that?
Speaker 1: Matt? Honestly, I'm lucky in that I have a lot of different aspects to like what make up.
Speaker 4: I'm really lucky that I just have so many.
Speaker 5: I can sing really well it's just there's a lot that there's a lot of tools in my tool belt, whereas you guys have like a wrench, and that's it.
Speaker 1: I was trying.
Speaker 4: I can't say it, but I should say say it for you.
Speaker 1: I don't ever get bored because I feel like I don't have a steady job, like actually a majority of things I've done have only gone one season. And I try not to take anything personally because I'm such a small part of everything. But in that regard, I always feel like I'm always learning, you know what I mean like, and I feel like I wouldn't have traded anything in my career so far, even though there have been times where I felt like when I compare myself to you, which just happens when you're in like a very close relationship with someone and you grow. At the same time, I feel like, you know, what would it be like to have a job all the time that that constantly demanded so much of my energy? And I think it will be twofold one. I think it makes you into like a machine. I I think like I have seen like you've always been sharp and great, but like just the way that you prepare now, the way that you're on top of things, you're confidence as a performer.
Speaker 5: I think that the listeners Matt's talking to Bohen yeah, not me. I just can't say, Eyeline. I just want to make sure they know.
Speaker 1: But it's the same with you too, though, because when I one hundred and thirty shows in a year, yeah, and go out and doing that, like you become like a machine.
Speaker 2: And I feel like my.
Speaker 1: Experience in the industry and with my art is different because I have like a lot going on, and I think it's just it's, honestly two experiences that I think make us very uh compatible honestly as comedy partners because we look at things really differently but have a really similar sensibility. That's just thinking about us together. But as an individual, like I never beat myself up about like not getting this or not having booked that or whatever, because again maybe that's thirties too. Yeah, you know what I mean, it's like, what's the point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'll say I really relate to what you were saying about feeling like you were in the same lane for a long time too, because that's part of why I took the job at after minute, it's honestly One of the main reasons I took the job is that I was doing my dream job, which was touring theaters doing stand up and I was starting to feel like, oh am I going to get stunted if I'm just going out in front of audiences that paid to see me, want to see me like me already, and I'm touring with the same two people who are like my tour manager and my one of my best friends. Like, how am I going to keep growing as a person if I'm just doing whatever I want all day and then going out to applause at night and then I come home and I recover for two days, and then I go back out there. Like I loved being on the road and I didn't like being home, and I'm like, that's not healthy. So I took this job because I thought I need to have a job. What you're saying of going what would I be like with a job? What would I be like with that structure? What would I be like with somebody saying you have to go do this, Like you have to go to this dinner, you have to go to this luncheon. And it has been very strained and at times annoying. Yeah, but every time I get annoyed by those asks that aren't really ask their demands from a network, I go, oh, but this is exactly what I wanted. I wanted to be a part of a team and a larger machine and know what it feels like to have some things outside of my control, because otherwise, how am I supposed to keep developing and maturing as a human being without just going on stage every year and still talking like I'm twenty three, right?
Speaker 1: You know? I think that all that's important is that you feel challenged and good about what you do, you know what I mean, it's like, And the second it starts to feel like that's not true anymore, I feel like I would just get nervous because it would mean that I was becoming less sharp and good at what I was doing. So it's less like anyone could like you could find something that you love doing and just do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, but like it will end, and then where will you be? You know what I mean? Like, so it's like great to participate in as many things as possible.
Speaker 6: I think totally, Yeah, would you act?
Speaker 1: You're a very good actor? That was where I thought you were going when I first saw you, I'll be honest, I was like, I can see her leading a sitcom.
Speaker 5: That's so nice. Well, I never wanted to do a sitcom. I don't really like from what I hear from friends of mine, I don't like a TV schedule, like it just seems kind of like a nightmare. I like the idea of a movie because it is there's a beginning and end, you know, it's not just like year round you're doing these crazy days. But again, i'd like stand up so much, and I like doing this show so much now that if I was going to act in something, it would have to be something I was really excited about or something I wrote, which is, as you know, what we've been doing for years, like me and my writing partner Taylor Tetro have like written scripts and sold them and that's been so great because even if things don't get made, which nothing ever does, right, but when things at least get sold, you get the validation. And working with her is so rewarding and I feel like I learn a lot.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Also a lot of times, like those things that percolate from way back do come back when like you have moments like this and like, now you've really hit astride.
Speaker 2: It's like you know, you never know.
Speaker 1: So that's yeah.
Speaker 5: And look, when I was auditioning for JFL, I don't know if you had this experience, but every time I auditioned for it, whoever was hosting was somebody who had already done it, and they were like, don't expect a deal, Like it's not like that anymore.
Speaker 4: They're like, it's over.
Speaker 5: And when I got New Faces, I did get a sitcom deal and like developed that and sold it and it didn't get made obviously, which thank god it didn't because it allowed me to go on the road and then eventually do the special that was Quarterlife Crisis.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's one of those things where I feel honestly terrible for actors. I think it seems terrible. Audition constantly just.
Speaker 2: Acting would drive me.
Speaker 1: Not if that was my only thing. I my hackes off the people that put themselves out there again and again and again, and then those are so frequent.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. Yeah, I'm like nerves of steel.
Speaker 1: To do totally totally.
Speaker 2: But I wondered, did they ask you to host the Golden Globes?
Speaker 4: No, they didn't have no no, no, I'm not no.
Speaker 1: See I think they would you do it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think they made a huge mistake and not asking Oh no.
Speaker 1: I'm not famous enough for that.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to be well known. I mean Joe koy.
Speaker 5: Sells and you felt that room going like it's crazy that this business does not respect stand up the way it respects movies and TV. Of course, yeah, I felt the shift getting this show, the sort of congrats and attention I got, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, where was this When I was Yeah, I was like, you know, we.
Speaker 5: Make more money on the road, right, do you guys know that? Like it was so I don't know. I don't think that I would be the right person to do that with if nobody in that room knew who I was, because they'd be like what.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like you just get around that though by then introing up top and being like, hey, you might not know who I am. I host a fucking late night show on this network. But like when you came out with Stephen and did a bit, I was like the Emmys. For the Emmys, I was like, oh, there's the host was because I just felt like because daddy via com we you sort of speak the same language.
Speaker 2: That would have been an amazing way to launch this show too.
Speaker 3: But also whatever I don't know, I feel like they're bringing up on stage at late show. Was that that was such a great I felt this like power, this energy, whatever, but like it was so cool the times that he would bring you on to like talk about the show, it felt like a great torch pasting annointment.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 4: I hate this it is and he's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean he was another reason I wanted to do it, because everybody loves working with and for him. Yeah, And I mean him and Conan have this in common I've talked about before, is like they're just it just seems as if they're always on, They're always hilarious, They're always so warm and friendly in a way that just does not come naturally to me. And I'm so impressed by I mean, yeah, you like touch your heart like that hit you.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that way?
Speaker 3: I feel that way, like, oh, I'm not I'm not the version of myself that like any given person would think I am. And I don't feel like you talk about your social.
Speaker 1: Anxiety a lot.
Speaker 3: I feel like you are just kind of like honestly who you are, and it is just like a different sort of like analog of like your stage persona and which is not.
Speaker 1: Good for show business.
Speaker 5: You should be better than what I am. Like, do you feel like you're good at being famous?
Speaker 1: No, you don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mats seems like Matt's.
Speaker 1: Good at it. Matt's good at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you seem uncomfortable in a way that makes me adore you so much, and I relate to more, Like I respect that Matt's really good at it, and I can't relate to it.
Speaker 4: I can't relate to it.
Speaker 1: I think I'm I think I'm just a true extrovert. Yeah, I think I'm just a true extrovert. And I enjoy the part which is like talking about the work, and I like entertaining.
Speaker 2: In that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I've noticed that about myself too it And sometimes I'm like, you're so annoying that because like we'll get requests together and then we'll be like I'd like to sit down that day, and I'm like, yeah, I don't want to sit down run around in a circle. I want to drink soda. I think it is like it is like a thing that forms you as a I don't know what where to trace it back from. But I've always had a lot of fucking energy, and sometimes I feel like I give too much of it up and then later I'm really tired. Yeah, and I don't notice I'm doing it until later. And I think you don't have to be in the entertainment industry to understand this. Like sometimes it's like you just give a lot socially and professionally to the point where later you're like, wait.
Speaker 2: Where am I right?
Speaker 1: And it gets a little confusing sometimes because like I'm dating a lot more now, and sometimes it feels like where does the performance of the me end? And where am I actually dropping in and listening? Like I felt bad. But a few weeks ago, I was out with some buddy and I realized like I hadn't been listening to what they were saying, because I think I was thinking about what I had said and how it had gone over. And I was.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, because I I where's the lights coming from the bar?
Speaker 1: You know, when you have to get good at knowing that dating isn't like a competition or a game that you can win. It's like, I feel like I learned that and then I forgot it, and so I was just like, let's reset, like let's let's talk to a person.
Speaker 2: You're not performing here today.
Speaker 1: But when you do it all the time, it can get a little confusing and you bringing up your therapy.
Speaker 2: This is what my therapy is about.
Speaker 1: It is like actually just dropping in and taking a breath and not having to be plugged in and excited all the time. Like not everything has to be a consumed thing or like a give thing. It's like you can just sit, Like meditating is not something I understand, but I do you do that?
Speaker 5: I can't because I'm anxious, right, not because I'm like i want a soda, Like I'm just scared.
Speaker 4: So we got to hear you drown out the noise.
Speaker 1: But that's how my anxiety manifest that I do too much. Totally different.
Speaker 5: Was it on SETH that you were talking about how you got invited to Was it a party at Taylor Swifts And You're like it was a Sunday and I needed to sleep And I was like, that is my guy, That's exactly how I feel like. Especially starting the show, they were like, do you wanna present to the Grammys And I was like, no, you have to, and then I got stripped so I couldn't.
Speaker 1: But I literally did get stressed.
Speaker 4: I truly did.
Speaker 5: But like there is so much anxiety and panic that will happen for me in preparing for things like this, no matter how big the opportunity, that it will ruin the opportunity.
Speaker 3: And it's the preparation on for the specials, like the road for you that that's.
Speaker 5: Easier that the road is prep specials. Yeah, so like the process is but like these like big event I'm like, I don't know how to exact, Like I don't know how to do this, and I'm not comfortable, and it also sort of like it's so disenchanting. I'm like, it'll emmies for me if I have to stand in that line and take a picture of that.
Speaker 1: I don't like the social part of it with other people that are there really intimidates me. What I think I like is the going and the doing of the thing. Like I like going and like doing a bit, or I like going and like when I'm on seth or like any of these late night things like whatever. I love going and doing the show. But sometimes it's like I remember last time I was on Seth Myers. I had to do like a social media bit with Jennifer Hudson and I had to go into her dressing room and be like, Hi, I'm Matt.
Speaker 2: You mean a lot to me.
Speaker 1: I've been a fan of yours for a long time while her team sort of sat there and we're like oh, and like she's so chill that I started to feel myself going yeah, and I was like, relax, relax.
Speaker 2: That part drives me nuts.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the doing of the thing, yeah, it's fine. But standing there and like when I found out that's what a red carpet is a lot of standing and yes to see if anyone wants to talk to you on the line, and maybe they don't.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like it's like oof, yeah, but then are we saying it?
Speaker 3: Like Colbert and Conan are like this rare breed of like comedian and performer that like that's just who they are.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: So, I mean that's the impression I've gotten. They're the two that I've spent the most time with. I mean, I've done Seth and he came in and was so lovely before it, like you seem so great, Like he was so great on your show, so I think some people are just like like you met, just wired for it, and it's like hard to accept that you can get good at it, but it's still not going to become like I'm never going to have it in my DNA.
Speaker 1: Like that, right, so the way you had like stand up and yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: That's where I feel like myself on stage, even if I'm nervous for a show or a taping or whatever, like that's who I feel like I am inside, But on carpets or whatever, all I'm like, who does anyone need a drink?
Speaker 4: Like? Should I be working this event? Like I just can't.
Speaker 1: Did you ever think about doing an Alvira esque character on the Red carpets? Sort of just going as a another you mistress of the night? Maybe you could do that.
Speaker 4: That would be such a hard turn for me.
Speaker 1: I think you would.
Speaker 4: Thank you so you think.
Speaker 2: This is an amazing compliment that I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Not everyone has a face for wigs. You do?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't you know you are? You know who has a face for wiggs is Sarah Sherman. She transforms yeah like you, She's on SNL. You all faces? We don't you do? Oh no, no, no, no, no, we're not having a discussion. I look the same, and I have so many beautiful discussions with the departments there room, Like I think this character should not have glasses because then it looks too much like me. Like it's like it comes that you became that Iceberg. I was like, you love that he was.
Speaker 1: You know what's very powerful going in a mustache, Going in a thick.
Speaker 2: Mustache is very powerful.
Speaker 1: And you see him begin to think about topping. Yeah, you see the neurons that you see that my follicles don't grow. I have a question about Sorry, such a hard turn birth order. This new eldest daughter syndrome thing is yeah, a lot of yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, elderldest daughter, and it's all true.
Speaker 1: What's this?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So I think the Times did this whole piece about eldest daughter syndrome.
Speaker 2: Is it syndrome or is it I.
Speaker 4: Think it's syndrome, yes, and the Times Yah, just me, It's just me and my sister.
Speaker 2: I have eldest daughter energy work. Yes, So what is this? What do they say about these girls?
Speaker 1: You're absorbing a lot of this becase, I'm sure a lot of being directed it you.
Speaker 5: A lot of guilt, a lot of like taking on responsibility, like a lot of feeling like you have to parent your younger siblings and they're like fuck off, Like, which is so fair? I saw I saw a TikTok of a younger sister who was like something happened where when I was a teenager, when I was younger, I really like worshiped my older sister and now it like kind of shifted where like she wants to be my friend and I'm kind of like okay, which is what I felt with my youngest sister. Soft the shift, Yeah, where for a while I was like, why is she not calling me back? And like she's always like yeah, when I was a kid, I wanted to be and I'm like where's that?
Speaker 4: Like where did that go?
Speaker 1: And then I think she got really smart and was like, oh you're trying. What does she do? Yeah, she's in grad school right now.
Speaker 5: She's very smart. Yeah yeah, so I'm like, well, how can I compete with that?
Speaker 1: I'm a rat.
Speaker 4: Comedian applauded for reading. You read a great thing.
Speaker 1: You're read that shift, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I mean we would get pulled into things, remember like seriously TV ri ip like I go in for seriously TV stuff sometimes and it was a lot of it was reading off like you would like set, you would literally write your own thing and send it to them, and your own words would be un prompt and I would still fuck up.
Speaker 1: It's so unfair that that is like something that you kind of have to be good at to do that stuff, because some people are the funniest people in the world and they're just not quick readers, right, you know what I mean, Or they're just not like people who can like correct on the fly like that. Like, yeah, I would imagine that. You see that all the time at like Table Express and Noel, like certain actors coming in and you it's not for everyone like to be able to do that and like not only to do it correctly, but also to do.
Speaker 2: It in a compelling and funny way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 5: I mean again on becoming disenchanted with the whole entertainment industry as you get older. I think at least this was how it was when I was younger. You're kind of like, I'm gonna be a legend, and I'm gonna work really hard and I'm gonna sleep on the floor on the airport at five am, and I'm gonna grind and do it. And then as you get older, you're like, there's so many talented people, right, and I can say, go fifteen who deserve what I have more than I do.
Speaker 4: Or just as much.
Speaker 5: That feeling when you're younger, where you're like destined for more, you feel special, it just like goes away, I think, or it has for me where I'm just always like which maybe good because it's replaced by gratitude, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure humility, gratitude, all those things that should be there.
Speaker 5: So many stars have to align for a person to be successful in this very unfair business, Like you have to be so many different things, like you have to be funny and smart and warm to people. I mean not always, but yeah, you have to have a bunch of things going for you and.
Speaker 1: Luck, yeah, of course, and also the leadership quality which comes when your name is on the title. I know you're saying, like, oh, it has nothing to do with me, it has nothing to do with you, but it does because like you know, that is your name, and that is your you are the engine of the show, and so like it is really great. I'm super excited that it's like doing as well as it is, Like I was saying, like, not only is it doing, but also like your fans are very engaged online, like you have girls collapsing in coffee shops like the dream, I mean the Dream, And so I don't know. I'm just like, give yourself all the credit in the world and keep shooting for the fucking star so much deserves it as much as you.
Speaker 5: You know, you're right, I single handedly, I am responsible for any and all success on the show, and anything wrong with it isn't my fault.
Speaker 3: You heard her first, but honestly, I do hope you hold on to some like one inch tall version of like that younger person in you that was like I'm going to be a legend or I will be one. Like what you've done is really remarkable, I think, and I think like humility, gratitude great, but also like there's something about that little guy that I think is helpful and.
Speaker 5: You need to tap into it, you know, yeah, when you're feeling like an impostor totally.
Speaker 3: I was watching the specials O Gelie, as Matt said, but I also like rewatched them this weekend and I was.
Speaker 1: Just like, God, she's really fucking good.
Speaker 3: She's so good, And like I think you are in this space you are like a comedians comedian and then you also play to like everybody, and that's like such a unicorn in these days.
Speaker 5: I think that's really nice. I mean, you never really know if you're a comedians comedian because you're like, doesn't everyone hate everything?
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: You just kind of have to go like, I bet everyone hates me, and it's fine, Like you don't really ever know.
Speaker 2: You never know, well, you know what's funny.
Speaker 1: Like I feel like I went from like like we talk about the laughing and then the acknowledging and then back to the laughing. I think that means I like sort of tried to divest from like my peers opinion of me because I know that if it were to be negative, that would really hurt me. And I think that that's something like maybe that's another element of like growing up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Is it's just like I'm not gonna put.
Speaker 1: Myself in a position to be hurt like that, and if like someone like you guys like didn't think I was worth myself, that would really hurt Meanwhile, like I can go out there and like the audience might not get something, and I'm like, I'm gonna roll with you now, But if it were other comedians, I think that would hurt Yeah, because we know we've been in those environments where it's like we were all like fucking going for something like JFL. We were all like pour together, we were all getting paid in two drinks or two diet cokes because you didn't drink till last week, I think. But you know, it's just like so now, it's just like I do what I do because it makes me happy and it makes people happy, and it would drive me fucking nuts if it didn't make people.
Speaker 5: I respect it, Yes, which about you have to pick like three people you respect and talk to it all and talk to it all, and those are the people you care about and everyone else you're like, yeah, but I also like when people don't like me, I'm like, I get it, Like I could argue.
Speaker 2: That side totally.
Speaker 1: All their complaints are actually my complaints to annoying talk too much, not that smart. Yeah has an underbyte, right, I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: That's me I'm putting there, it's I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is really this segment where we hang our hat here at the podcasting. This is it. I mean, this is what's made us really timeless, like Shakespeare and h B and Besz. This is one minute to rants against something in culture that's getting to us. And I have something as of last night. Matt Rogers is here. I don't think any times starts down. I don't think so honey the olive garden.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: There is such a thing as being too good to be true. And there are three things soup, salad, and bread sticks. Okay, let me disclaimer this. This is not an I don't think so honey to you as an institution. It's an I don't think money really to me and my self control unlimited truly does mean unlimited. And when you have one bite of that bread, that salty fucking bread, and you dip it in that Zoopa tuscano, which is my soup of choice, not to disrespect any of the other soups, I would definitely try it in some minute drunk, but I cannot stop myself. This salad one of the world's greatest salad. And then I have to say something. You're already jacked up full of soup ss B. And then you got your tour of Italy. Okay, because you're like, why not, I'm not gonna be full seconds into the meal. I don't feel good to date, and it's because not because of Olive Garden, because of me, because of my choices. It does it feel like a little bit of a betrayal that they would do this to me after I had my nineteenth and twentieth birthdays, both two years in a row, at the Time Square Olive Garden where I went last night. Yes, it does well. I keep coming back. Yes, I do think so hard. And that's one minute. I'm so chalk full of food right now at this moment, like I'm bursting. I'm gonna start sweating the bread that moved you to go. I was on a date last night and you won't go went to a time So we had done this fun, stupid thing where we're like, we're gonna go to Dave and Busters and then go to the Times Square Garden. Like I said, I'm out there dating, We're having fun, and I felt like this would be a way to not have it center around like alcohol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is I think it around bread? Something else that's slowing me down today, carbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I hangover.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they don't tell you about that. No, I don't look up to and I was like, whoa, I guess I.
Speaker 2: Drank too much.
Speaker 1: I had one beer and five thousand bread stick. Yeah, they should cut That's what happened. There should be there should be a breadstick bartender there. Really, there should be someone be like, hey, man, are you okay? Because you do get kind of drunk. I mean like you're like on that bread. Yeah, bread, let's get it. I don't you know what's funny? Like I had so much bread and like a whole bulls a whole bull of hellad. And usually it's like, what's so great about soup salad? Breadsticks?
Speaker 2: Un limited?
Speaker 1: Is the soup? Because I'm a souper queen, Like I love soup, but it gets so amazing. I think it's one of the great inventions. Well, Bowen likes more stew I I love.
Speaker 4: He can tell you about it, Okay, he loves STUWT. Yeah, stu is just soup with something to say.
Speaker 1: You know, that's real culture. Woman numbers are again twenty five something to say amazing.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, so your merch should say soup queen on it. I mean and it already and it already changes. I'm changing it.
Speaker 1: We had what was it? We've came up with a good merch that they don't talk to me on vulnerable or something. Oh, I remember that. That's great. We're coming up with good merch all the time. And we never heard I.
Speaker 4: Would wear don't talk to me vulnerable?
Speaker 1: So fast? You fast?
Speaker 2: You'd wear it? Well.
Speaker 5: My younger sibling made me a sweatshirt once that maybe it was something they said, maybe something I said that said like I'm great but unavailable. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: It text for later but also says what's yes, stay away? Yes, Oh I love it? Bonyang, you're ready for I don't think honey ready? Okay, this is bowen yang and he is going to do I don't think so honey, starting.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't think so honey. In New York Times is thirty six questions to fall in love. Guess what they don't work? Okay, I've fallen out of love with individuals because they went through the whole fucking charae of like looking into my eyes reading off these questions. One of them is if you had the choice to be ninety years old and have either the mind or body of a thirty year old? Which one would it be? I don't care how you answer that. I'm not gonna like the answer. No, that's a weird fucking question.
Speaker 1: New York Times.
Speaker 3: Hey, how about ray lady, how about you try to put strands on the games app? How about you get the editor of Connections to make some fucking sense for once? How about you make spelling me not have a Q in it on a Monday. It's really up, New York Times. I could begin to list off the gripes I have, but let's start with the thirty six questions to fall in love, because you are ruining a lot of potentially mid dates and making them intolerable.
Speaker 1: And that is one minute you get.
Speaker 5: I will say that question that you talked about, that's the easiest question to answer.
Speaker 4: Body body, Yeah, who.
Speaker 1: He doesn't I get that you said that. No, No, it's not that I don't know. It's not either way.
Speaker 4: You hate that I bought into it at all.
Speaker 2: I've fallen out of love with your tail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but can I tell you something. It's about starting conversations. It's not about being definitive. It's about starting conversations. Like you ever played this or that. Yeah, it's a conversation starter. Yeah, I'm really that's just this or that. It's just in the paper of note right.
Speaker 3: Well, one of them is like sum up your whole life story in four minutes. You're like, this is so sweaty h so like okay, Like it is someone being like, let me be fucking charming towards you, and you're like stop, okay, but.
Speaker 5: Can I just say those questions are not for people with podcasts, you know what I mean? Like, those are for regular people, and the fact that you're even trying to pass judgment on it is not okay. Those questions are for people who are not interesting on their own and they need a template date God right, I'm just look, you probably have questions that you want to ask everybody because you're an interesting, talented person, eldest daughter.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You're made of this stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but people have you like That's why I can't watch dating reality shows. I'm like, I don't want to watch regular people struggle to know each other with another. The barrier like a literal barrier. I watch Love is Blind a literal barrier, making it even harder for you to connect.
Speaker 4: It is painful to watch.
Speaker 1: The Bachelor is the toughest for me because it's like people who socialize at a certain level, Like it's just kind of like and I want to think it's funny, but I really ultimately just think it's boring.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I just I can't pretend to be Like when two people are like you want kids, I want kideah exactly, both want to that's crazy, yeah, and then everyone's fighting over the same guy because they want to kids.
Speaker 1: Like it just well, it all boils down to I saw this person and was the horniest for them. Yeah, they are the one who wins, because guess what, nothing really changes in two months. You're still in a manic period, right. It really is just like many of the show. It's like we're gonna put people in an insane situation with a camera in their face and ask them to perform constantly, and it's just like, of course nothing works, get.
Speaker 4: Them drunk, take their phone. It's it's literally a it's literally a manic episode, and no one knows that because we're watching it like weeks apart.
Speaker 1: But like these people are cooped up for like two and a half months, only talking to each other and then guess what. The friends they make one day are just gone. Yes, Like Eric goes to talk to Rachel, he doesn't come back and we've been hanging out for two and a half months.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're lying to your family? Where are you? Like?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: When they come out and they're.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm engaged and they're like you said you were doing like a sleep study.
Speaker 4: What do they tell their loved one?
Speaker 1: What if something happens, like, hey, hey is this missus Eric?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Eric fell off a boat in Copenhagen.
Speaker 2: Can you come?
Speaker 1: I d the body? Oh dead by the way, Yeah, you don't really survive that kind of thing, no matter where it is.
Speaker 2: We does ted know about this that you're not a love is blind man?
Speaker 4: We're no, no, no, I am.
Speaker 5: I am the only one I've watched. That's the only one I've watched. That is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't, don't.
Speaker 3: I had I had a lot with his mind. As I've talked about it in this podcast. I'm like, I can't, I can't stick with it.
Speaker 5: I can't watch any dating show. I cannot watch. That's the Yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: Watch like the Social Dilemma. Reality shows like the Circle and stuff, or.
Speaker 4: No, I don't watch this.
Speaker 5: I did watch the Ultimatum, which was insane.
Speaker 1: The Ultimatum was crazy all the way through. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I've seen the one season of the Ultimatum, and I've seen I think two seasons of Love.
Speaker 2: Gave it.
Speaker 1: I gave it a fair shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he did it.
Speaker 1: I did it. I mean seeing two seasons of anything, I can say I watched something.
Speaker 2: If I watch four episodes.
Speaker 1: Of it, Oh yeah, then I then I consider myself a fan and an authority. Yeah, and I come on here and I say, here's the definitive word on this thing. I've seen an eighth of people, and people listen.
Speaker 5: And then if something is popular enough, do you watch four episodes of it just to be a part of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four seems reasonable unless watching it's gonna be a miserable experience for me. Unless the genre I don't do scary and I don't do like graphic. Right, Okay, I'm good with anything.
Speaker 5: When people come on SNL and HOST, I feel like you have to watch their.
Speaker 3: Stuff, not as much anymore, because now I'm gonna peel back the curtain. Lauren doesn't like when they promote the thing too much. Oh interesting, So it's like, oh, there's there might not be a sketch about their project, right, which unless it's cultural, unless it's like Eyston, like I'm sure Gosling can do it.
Speaker 1: I'm just kind of You think you're gonna shoot your shot on a Challenger sketch this week?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sure, something with the score, something with the score that, sir.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you're gonna make that funny, because the score was perfect.
Speaker 1: It's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I am I thinking I'm thinking of a sketch.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't say what it is because Bowen says if I ever picture my sketch, they can't use it, and I actually will likely I could sue. I could sue. I'm veryious. Speaking of being on the edge, it's your turn to do. I'm so scared. Okay, don't don't be all right, this is Taylor Tomlinson' I don't think so, honey. Her time starts now.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 5: People who skip the museum gift shop, Oh I'm sorry. You go to one one museum and on the way out you're like, oh what I forgot?
Speaker 4: That was here, I start with the museum.
Speaker 5: How else are you supposed to know what to pay attention to once you're in the museum. Okay, I don't want to look like a fucking idiot standing in front of an unimportant piece of art too long. I'm getting teary eyed in front of a painting of a field going, oh my god, what's this one called landscape?
Speaker 1: By?
Speaker 5: Who the fuck know? What made the magnets? What made the postcards? What can I take home with me? You think it's in you to buy something from a museum gift shop. You think you're better than a starry Night umbrella?
Speaker 4: You're fucking not.
Speaker 5: I want to remember the time I saw the Scream in person and was like, Wow, I'm doing something.
Speaker 4: Yeh, fucking culture. Yes, I want to bring it home with me.
Speaker 5: I want to put it on my refrigerator, bare minimum, use it as a bookmark in a book I started and didn't finish. I don't think so, honey, you were not better than the museum gift shop.
Speaker 1: And that is one minute. Also, if you don't go to the museum gift shop and get something, how are you gonna have too many shirts? Yes? How are you gonna have too many shirts if you didn't buy one at the museum. And it's important to have too many. Yes.
Speaker 5: The only other way you could have too many shirts is if you start doing stand up and you get one from.
Speaker 4: Every club you've ever performed.
Speaker 1: And that's the only other way, and that takes years. But if you're not a stand up and then what are you gonna put on your coffee tables?
Speaker 2: Go to the museum gift shop to buy the book?
Speaker 4: Grow the fuck up?
Speaker 1: Where was it that we went in Berlin? We we went to that museum in Berlin. Remember we didn't go to a museum. Oh, we went to a Berlin museum. I forgot what it's called. But and answer them. We went to the rex mus which, oh yeah, I love, and there is that I bought my yellow shirt that I've never worn, you've ever worn. I wouldn't have it taking up.
Speaker 4: Space if I hadn't gone to the gift shop. And that's important. Yes, I need to see what is the jigsaw huzzle? Yeah, and then I'm gonna be like I know to go to that. Yes, stairs, you'll miss the room if it's too big.
Speaker 5: The best museum I've ever been to is an Oslo in Norway and it's I can't pronounce it, but it's so good and there's so many different types of things in there, and you could absolutely miss something if you're not careful. I went two days in a row because I miss stuff.
Speaker 3: It's so smart to start with the shop because then you've kind of outsmarted the layout in the floor plant, you know what I mean, like the traffic pattern. You're like, let me start where they don't want me to go first.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was talking to my sibling about this last night and they go, it's like reading the study questions before you read the chapter.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you know what it is. You know what always gets me? This is sort of my museum is a theme park. Yes, I get a mug, a coffee mug from every riode.
Speaker 4: I like, yeah, if I had a good time.
Speaker 1: If I had an amazing time, which I often do, especially with so we went. We do it on the Jurassic Park right a long time ago. So one of my favorite mugs I have and I wouldn't have it if I had it bought it.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's exactly.
Speaker 1: It's actually a really coaching number eight. I wouldn't have it if I hadn't bought it. This is an important part culture. It's a capitalism consumer you know, like, this is what this is all about.
Speaker 5: I love that you two love theme parks because that's another thing that people act like they're too good for.
Speaker 4: No, give me a theme parks are so fun. They were built for your imagination, dear steps.
Speaker 1: In every day I watch YouTube videos about the construction of Epic Universe, which is the new theme park that is going to double the size of the Universal Orlando Resort and truly start the theme park war in Orlando or will it finish it.
Speaker 4: It's a totally separate theme park.
Speaker 1: It is a totally separate theme park. I'm going to send you some links. Please do it too, because let me something They are not playing not playing?
Speaker 2: Do you like the movie had Finger Dragon.
Speaker 4: Stop talk about a score?
Speaker 1: Yes, you spoke of Harry Potter earlier.
Speaker 2: You're in luck.
Speaker 4: They're they're doing a Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Yes they are, and it might be called Battle at the Ministry of Magic, and the villain might be Dolores Umbradge herself reprised by Emelda Staunton. Okay, there is new technology they have not yet revealed that will make the attraction unforgettable. Then there's a dark universe which is gonna have all the universal classic monsters, Oh my god. And finally Super Nintendo World. We're gonna ride Mario Kart.
Speaker 4: You're end World at Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Have you been yet?
Speaker 4: I'm not a Nintendo World.
Speaker 1: You gotta take the whole team, take the do it. You gotta take the whole team.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 1: I would love to see Joe. Joe has been.
Speaker 3: Joe has taken her niece, nephew, one of her relatives to that park and has a lot of things. Does Joe like the part re roller coaster?
Speaker 1: This is a metaphor for friendship, so it doesn't it's healing. But that's two people on the ride together and they're going over the till and zero gravity.
Speaker 2: That makes me happy.
Speaker 1: It's got the circle. You can tell that's fresh. It's fresh fresh. Yeah, she's got her second skin on. But what's this joke that you have. It's like recycling a theme park. You're part of the problem. You're part of the problem. Throw your hands up, three hands up, being.
Speaker 5: Like offended at a comedy show.
Speaker 2: Trying to recycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're here, You're you're part of the problem. Yeah, just throw your hands up, so.
Speaker 2: Good, throw your hands up.
Speaker 1: Title of app.
Speaker 2: Title of app.
Speaker 1: Three hands up and we throw our hands up for Taylor Tom we throw our hands up and clap them in the air. Wow, this was so fun. Thank you so much for having you. Came honored so much. Like I said, one of the first things I saw you when we met for the show was like, it's not a surprise to me at all to see you continue to be so great and do so well. So star Star Star watch after Midnight and we end every episode with the song to Midnight.
Speaker 2: Sorry do you know has a song?
Speaker 5: I think we used her song and our trailers for the show. I think it was just so perfect, Yeah, so good, so amazed.
Speaker 2: You should play it right before the show. But I know you.
Speaker 5: I asked our amazing Percy incredible on. I was gonna say, he's PERSI amazing great come to the show for Percy.
Speaker 1: He doesn't me, doesn't he dances?
Speaker 4: He did like knows the Beyonce single Ladies Dance.
Speaker 1: Like he does it all and then he's like, Matt, come on and do it. And I would never do that. He did got me to do it and I didn't. I didn't know it, but he got me to commit, which is the power of person, which is the.
Speaker 4: Power of Percy.
Speaker 5: I asked him to put hot to go on the list. Happy and when people know the.
Speaker 4: Dance, it's really fun. But you do have to wait a while for the dance to kick it.
Speaker 5: So I think I need to tell him the time stamp on it because sometimes people get because he has audience members come up and dance on commercial.
Speaker 1: Brands, and some of them know how to go the dance. Yes, Chapel is taking off. Man, Oh my god, she's so good travel Come on the show girl, She'd love the show. I feel I feel like she well, she knows of the show because she won Album of the Year last year before her album even came out, and at the Cultural Awards. Amazing, she said in a video, thanking us and watch the Space Chapel. You maybe racking up some numbs of this year's Cultural Awards.
Speaker 5: Bye bye,