Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Daisy light it here. The Daily Show is on break for the holidays, but in the meantime we put together some special highlights for you. We'll be back in the new year on January seventh with all new episodes.
Speaker 2: What do you think about young people getting all of their information and entertainment from social media? I see no problem with it. Why would you? It seems great? Is that true? I mean, I don't know, because obviously TV is dying. Don't what? No, don't sir? Well, let me ask you a question in your mind, seeing as I work in television, will I die first? Because if that's the case, I don't mind. But but don't don't You still watch TV? But you just watch it on your on TikTok on your phone, right, But you understand that that's still TV. It's just you're watching it in a different uh delivery service. It's like heroin is heroin, whether you snort it or shoot it, it's it's still an opiate for the masses, as is television. You're just getting it in smaller bites, but it's it's still It's like it's still TV. We make it unless you have to look on your face like this poor boy. If he only knew the business he was in. Well, I hope we don't die quickly, but and stay, and you're here and we're making TV for you tonight. Welcome to the Daily Show. I'm your host, John Stewart, captain of this dying medium. Would you even say that to me? Gentlemen, tell me tonight? He said, Oh, I'm so happy to be here. You know your television is dying. I said, I am aware, and in fact I'm contributing to it. You're welcome. All of the.
Speaker 3: Interviews that you've had in these many years, there's the one that stands out.
Speaker 2: As the most profound. Oh, most profound interview. Well, so, I've interviewed people like literal dictators, like people that have killed people like Preve. I don't know if you remember Proves musharaff was the leader of Pakistan and this was a post nine to eleven so and al Qaeda had been threatening him with an assassination. Now, I've had great like Malala Yousaus and Bishop Desmond too, to Jimmy Carter, like people of pure goodness like you just they they vibrate on a different plane of kindness and goodness than most people and you can feel it on them. Uh, and then you have dictators slightly different vibe. So Pervez Musharp it was only memorable because so he was at the time the president of Pakistan and he was under assassination threat. He'd just written a book and it was his autobiography, I think, and so he came here to the show to promote it. And that day we had snipers on the roof, we had a K forty seven's in the hallway, guys marching, we had bomb dogs, we had I mean, it was a level of security that I had never seen before, and I realized, like, this man is risking his life to tell his story on this show. I should have read the book.
Speaker 4: That's what I remember thinking is I thought, oh shit, I feel terrible. Now here's this guy's He could die and.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to be like, so is Pakistan hot? Like I didn't know shit. But so the crazy part was even with all that security layer right in the studio they put a kevlar front on the desk, like this was no bullshit. This was Many of you are younger, so you don't remember after nine to eleven, like we all lost our minds. Safety wise. So they put a kevlar front on the Daily show desk and I'm in there and I'm looking at it, and I say, because there are secret service agents from both countries, America and Pakistan in the room. And I go, what's so? Tell me about this, what's going on? And they said, well, if somebody manages to get through any kind of security issues and try to assassinate President Musharaf, we will jump and push him down below the kevlar to protect him from the bullets. And I said, you know, funny thing is, I'm also, uh, you know, because you know, I understand he'll be there and then I'll be sitting there. What should I do without missing to be in New York City? Cop talk behind, he goes, should fucking duck.
Speaker 4: Watching TV?
Speaker 2: Oh dear god, Now you're these are one of those that are always rough. Because I was, like I was six years old. You would come on my paw and I I'm.
Speaker 1: Just curious, you know, knowing what you know now, you know if you went back to you know, the early nineties, Yeah, anything you would have advised us or done differently, like different guests, like somebody.
Speaker 2: That didn't cab or on the MTV program. You watched that show because here was like I think the guest, the first guest on the MTV show, the premiere episode. Now this is so I should explain to younger people in the artists. MTV was a cultural course in like the seventies and no in the eighties. I guess it started right with video killed the radio so or the Buggles, and then from there it was really cool. And then I don't know what they happened to it, but my first guest was Howard Stern was the first guest, and he came on and he said, you suck. The set looks ridiculous. You'll be canceled in six weeks. And I just sat there like, don't say that. But you know, it was such a different kind of show. I think the two guests on that first show were It was Howard Stern, a boy that ate cheese into the shape of states, who was referred to in all the production documents as cheese Boy. The crazy part is cheese Boy is probably like fifty Now cheese Boy is an ophthalmologist. But we had so much fun. But it was such a different ethos, and then we went to I was hired to replace our Sineo, which makes total sense, and so you can imagine how that went, and then that got canceled. I remember the last two weeks of that show were just chaos, like it's good that they took us off there because someone was gonna die. Like Marilyn Manson was on the show. He lit a fire during his performance, an actor smashed a mug and cut his hand wide open. And the final one was there was an act called The Birdman of Vegas, and the Birdman of Vegas had a condor act. I don't know if you've ever been around condors, they're gigantic. These they were probably like, there's my size, Not that I'm gigantic, but in the bird world, i'd be badass, Like like if I walk up on a pigeon, the pigeon'll be like, I don't wantny problems. But the bird, there's like six weeks so he's doing the bit, and the bit is his assistant is there and the condor will fly from his arm to the other and it's a giant bird with a wingspan of twelve feet and it flies over. But the bird apparently wasn't going to do that that day. Instead, what it did, is it flew into the audience, and so a giant condor just started pecking the shit like and then the audio and starts chanting.
Speaker 3: Sue them, sue them, and like and I'm just like I and we're really canceled. We were already canceled. I was just like, I will let the birds kill everyone.
Speaker 2: I don't give it. But that was that was the experience there. So if you say, like, would you have done anything differently, I'd be like, I guess I would have made sure the condors were leashed. How happy am I to be back tonight? You know, I don't know if any of you have ever had to slog it out one day a week like this. It is, you know, I don't know what you guys do. And I listen, this is not the disrespect your work ethic or any of the things that you are. But you know, it was around three o'clock today, three o'clock in the afternoon, and I remember turning and looking at somebody and saying, I just don't know how much longer I can do this, you know, because it was almost four. I mean, I thought, no, it's been I have to say it's it's been lovely. You know, I have been in hibernation for a few years with my family and I would never give that back like it was. It's been wonderful, and COVID played very much into my social leanings in terms of reclusiveness. So once a week is about right for me with people and for people with me. The best piece of advice, Wow, that is such an end of life question. That really is that nobody ever comes to, like a twenty two year old like best advice, and they're like, well, beer on liquor, never been sicker, all right, the best advice. I'm trying to think of good advice. I don't really I don't seek counsel in that way. Do you like a mentor? I didn't have a mentor. This was back in like late seventies, early eighties, so there were no mentors. I was raised feral, So I don't have a ton of a ton of advice. Oh here's one, this is a good one. So I used to host a show on MTV. It was a talk show, and then it got bought by Paramount to replace our Sineo. So I was the natural replacement for our Sineo. Because I think a lot of people are like, Hey, the hip African American guy, let's stick a maybe small jew in his place and see what happens. And so the show was on for like nine months and it got canceled and we were all very sad. And when your name is on it and they tell you to get out of the building, like, it's very hurtful. David Letterman came on the final show, and on the final show he said to me, don't confuse cancelation with failure. And I thought that was really interesting. And then in the commercial break he said, although this is also a failure. He just he just didn't want me to confuse it. The sale world where young people right now, No, you're good, you got so many we're gonna we're gonna ruin this so much. You have no idea what we've got plan. You are walking into thunderdome. Uh no, you're gonna Honestly, like we do this all the time every generation, like even the greatest generation, Like I mean they dropped atomic bombs on people, Like don't don't let the perspective. We always think that the world is at its worst in the moment that we're in it. But like you have to remain optimistic because the images that they present to us are to heighten your fear. That's how they make their Oh you're gonna love the show tonight. I found I'm gonna love the show. But so what do you what are you thinking? I think a lot of young people are a little bit not happy with the choice of tens another.
Speaker 1: I guess I feel like, as we our voice.
Speaker 2: Does it's matter? Oh? It so matters. Yeah, in fact, your voice is Can I tell you something about advertisers. Do you know that advertisers they look at different demographics, but the largest demographic that they look at is eighteen to twenty four. That's the one that means everything to them. Use that power, the power of the person. I'm sixty one, I'm not even listed anymore. Like they're literally companies would be like, what about people over fifty five? And they're like, I think they might be dead? Like, don't discount the power that you guys have. You have a tremendous amount, I would think on Instagram, I would tell them on Instagram, well, I don't know, this is the fight man. No generation ever feels empowered or seen or any of those things. But what I would suggest is trust your discomfort because you clearly feel it. But discomfort is a wonderful motivator. It's sort of the difference between stress and anxiety. Like action is the antidote to anxiety, and if you feel anxiety, it will lessen as you take action, small actions like a little bit every day. You know, I have young people that live in my house and I usually see them after three when they've woken up, and generally they just want me to make them a bagel. So it's different. But honestly, like that, discomfort will spur you on, I'm sure of it and your generation, and then you'll be in a position to save us. But you won't want to college campuses. You had a question about college campuses. Okay, so the cafeteria. If you want to go by the quad, you're gonna look for the quad. Usually the food is near the quad.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: Navigation glad special election in college campuses and Indian conversations.
Speaker 2: Listen, the beautiful thing about college is that it's built for that. It's built for you to push the limits of who you think you are and who you think you want to be. And it's a wonderful experience. Uh. The thing that I would say to you is have the courage in the internal barometer that you've developed over the years for yourself about right and wrong, and don't necessarily just allow the conditions that you find yourself in to shape that you. You're here for a reason and you're that way for a reason, and be strong in that and learn be open to people, but be convicted. It's you know, it's a good I think it's a wonderful experience for kids, and I don't worry. But you know, gen Z, there's so shut down. You know. It's every generation is like that generation sucks. We were awesome, And I'm like, eh, I know my generation, like we were doing whippets in eleventh grade, like.
Speaker 4: You think everyone should have on their shelf.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a great question. And I really thought you were going to end it with what's a book? Because you get that a lot from the kids. Now, sir, I have a question, what's a book? And I was gonna it's like a movie you flip, I would say, So this may sound antiquated, was I feel like I was raised on Kurt Vonnegut and so any Kurt Vonnegut. I had the whole from player Piano, to Breakfast Champions, to Slaughterhouse Five, to you know, Mother and all of them. And he was my favorite author by far, and I felt like he educated me in in the genre of optimistic cynical humanism, like the thing that you're talking about, how do you maintain? So he's a guy who was an author, who came of age. He fought in World War Two, he saw Dresden. That's what Slaughterhouse five was about. It was about his experiences seeing the worst that people could do. And people always mistook his cynicism as or his I guess I should say his dryness as cynicism, but it was really idealism. He believed so much in people that he couldn't help but be somewhat disappointed that we were blowing it in the way that we were blowing it. But I would say, line your your desk with Kurt Bonnegut and and you cannot go wrong. And I was lucky enough to get to interview him when he was you know, hadn't passed away yet, no, but he came on and when he passed away, his son sent me. He was also a really wonderful caricaturist, sent me a doodle of his that he had inscribed to me before he passed. So it's one of my most cherished But I would say, Kurt Bonnagut, you can't go wrong, and like Playboy, you're wondering, you.
Speaker 1: Know, how do you maintain a sense of hope in levity when times.
Speaker 2: That's right? Mother? How do you see laughing? Right? How old are you? I'm nineteen, nineteen years old, and the world's already beat the shit out of here, and that it's always the young dudes that are like, I have a quick question, I'm nineteen years old when hope is gone, when the darkness slowly creeps down. Uh, I'm sixty one, so I'm already an injury time like so I'm I'm I'm good. I'm actually weirdly always optimistic. We go. I think maybe that is the horizon of history. I came up at a time in the sixties where we had all these great leaders and we killed all of them, every single one, and then we went to Vietnam and law and then Watergate, like shit was just unraveling. So I do think it gives you a sense of oh, it's always a mess, like and and what that makes you realize is Oh so it's just it's just that's the game. We buckled down, you gotta lunch pail it, and you carried through like you're nineteen, Like you'll someday when you're sixty one and people be saying like, how do you maintain optimism and be like, you have no fucking idea what it was like when I was kid, Like you will be that guy to be able to say, like, you think it bad now and obviously, look it is. These are tenuous times and maybe even we'll talk a little bit about that on the program. And I'm a terrible times the good thing, no, but because part of the issue is like you just want someone to talk to you like you're a human, like you're an adult, not like they're like it's a work, not like it's they're they're spinning you or any of those. That's my biggest complaint with all of this. Nobody expects perfection. Everybody knows that the obstacles and and all the things that are going to be thrown in front of us are going to be arduous. That's life, Like, it's life is hard, you know, but you just want someone to not bullshit you when what you know you see and hear is what you've seen? Like, that's all that that you can really do? But how do you maintain So you're nineteen? So are your friends optimistic or pessimistic? Or do they not talk about it? Or are they just on discord being racist? What is going on? God?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think a lot of people are pessimistic.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do I maintain optimism?
Speaker 2: Yes? I try to laugh.
Speaker 1: I watched the.
Speaker 2: Daily Show you so here's the only thing I would say. I'm glad you do that, But really we write it for eight year olds. Nineteen is a little above our pay grade, But is it? I do? I do remember nineteen? Like that age, there is a certain existential anxiety that creeps in because the world does listen. It feels out of control. You probably know more about it now than we did when I think. One of the things that's probably harder for kids now is you are the amount of information that you absorb is probably But I would imagine hopefully your brains will evolve to you know, because when I was a kid, like TV happened and everybody's like that will run. Don't sit in front of the TV and eat and just watch TV and now, you'd be so happy if your children would do that. Right, you just be like, don't send pictures of your dick to people like