Speaker 1: In terms of like a spring training meg extension. I don't think there's any any real possibility.
Speaker 2: Of that happening. Yeah, we got Patrick Mooney on with us. We're gonna go over some Cubs storylines. You know, let's go right into it and then cutting a few things on the back end. AJ. I just want to leave the simplest possible terms what I'm leaving told me a few times now, what do you think of the Cubs off season?
Speaker 3: Aj?
Speaker 2: Not bad?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 4: Better than this team?
Speaker 2: Well, that teams that bird's hibernating. It's not a way.
Speaker 4: That's why I saw my my less crop seen babblehead, right because oh wow groover right. Uh but yeah, that's why it sits there every day, because they're until they're sleeping with less or I p less love you. But uh, yeah, the Cubs have had a good off season. I have to give them credit. As much as that pains me to say, I think they've had a pretty decent offseason. I love to get one more nice piece, and whoever that is, I don't know. It's not my money. It's the uh, you know, the people that own the Cubs, And I hate to say their names, but I'm not going to uh, but they've had a good offseason. They've had a better off season than probably anybody except maybe the Dodgers and the Aches and the Mets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're I would also say that off season is not done yet. I mean we still you know, my colleagues scided if Sharma Ke and Rosenthal we still keep hearing the Cubs are active. We don't know exactly what that will be. There's a big difference between sort of hanging around and talking to Scott Boris about Alex Bregman versus actually like going out and doing it. And I think that's where the the Astros have had kind of an advantage in a way that the Cubs don't, because Tom Ricketts is not that type of owner who's just gonna call up Scott Boris and.
Speaker 3: Close a deal here.
Speaker 1: But whether it's another pitcher, I think until Bregman signs elsewhere, the Cubs are gonna be involved. And I think by the time they get to Mesa, it could the offseason, which has been pretty good, could look a lot different by that point too.
Speaker 2: All Right, So before we dive into twenty twenty five storylines and things that we know, for certain, and what's on the roster. Let's cover Bregman really quickly. What do you think where are we at with the Cubs one inning? Are they at with Bregman and the negotiations? And do you think that it's real? I know someone was floating out a four hundred, but and if it has opt outs, maybe that's enticing for him over a six I think one point fifty six from the Astros. But do you think this is serious?
Speaker 3: Well, it's definitely serious.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a matter of how serious and what the appetite is to get something, don't hear?
Speaker 3: I mean this is the way the Cubs are sort of set up.
Speaker 1: I mean Jed Hoyer does not have an unlimited budget, but he has managed it in a way that keeps the Cubs kind of in the conversation for any of these you know guys who maybe are a little disappointed or frustrated with kind of where how their market has developed. And also they built up, you know, pretty substantial amount of young talent to where you know, if teams are looking to make moves late, they are certainly in those conversations here as well. And I think what we've kind of learned over the years here as the Cubs have transitioned away from THEO and overhauled their front office, it is really all about.
Speaker 3: Whatever the computer tells them to do.
Speaker 1: Now, they certainly have preferences and they dictate their own strategy, but it's really all about whatever deal fits in their system. And we'll see if Bregman gets to kind of get falls to their level.
Speaker 2: I should say, well, they love those former astros, they really do. We'll get into that, right Tucker, Presley, et cetera. Let's hit the storylines. We've got four storylines that we promised will hit. Maybe a bonus question if we have time, can Kyle K Tucker vault the Cubs back into the playoffs? And can they convince him to stay long term? This is year two of Craig Counsel super rich manager disappointing season in year one of his expedition with the Cubs, obviously ditching the hometown team, getting the contract, getting what he was worth, but so far it didn't work out. What are we thinking with Matt Shaw? Can he make an impact starting on day one? And is patients wearing thin with the front office? This is kind of a make or break do they have to make the playoffs for this current front office to be set up the.
Speaker 3: Way it is.
Speaker 2: Let's start at the top, because Kyle Tucker is a really, really strong player. You can call him a superstar. Many do, right based on the seasons he's put together consistently and what he was on pace for last year before he got hurt. What do you think of this addition Tucker in and Bellinger out.
Speaker 1: This is a guy they absolutely needed to get. I mean, the Cubs have been an eighty three win team, kind of a stable, conservative organization, like just good enough to play meaningful games in September, not good enough to advance and win in October. And I think if you look at the contours of those previous seasons, it was they needed a star. They needed someone to step up and hit that three run homer to kind of win a series on the road, to make sure that like four game losing streak doesn't turn into like a three week spiral.
Speaker 3: And I think Tucker is one of the best all round players in the game.
Speaker 1: I think the second point of this will be really fascinating to watch, like how is he gonna function as sort of like the man in Wrigleyville. He didn't really have to do that in Houston, And at this point, I don't think either side has any sort of expectations about a long term deal. At this point, I think the expectation is that he will play this year out. The Cubs will have a year to sort of lay the groundwork and recruit him. But in terms of like a spring training Meg extension, I don't think there's any any real possibility of that happening.
Speaker 5: To use one of Count's favorite words last year that was repeated ever once in a while, is this season going to be daunting for Craig counsel or is the second season of him moving into an organization that now he gets more of his own fingerprint on and kind of the processes of like I want these types of guys to come up and everybody playing under me. Is there going to be something new in year two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great get you guys had of Pat Murphy acknowledging that a council wouldn't call it trolling the Brewers, but it was definitely a specific word choice of saying that the Brewers are this daunting challenge when on undaunted, is this kind of very personal motivational slogan for his.
Speaker 3: Old good buddy Pat Murphy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean this is where Council is supposed to really put his imprint on the team. I mean, the front office views him as part of the inner circle for every major decision, So the product on the field is going to be on some level a reflection of his belief system and priorities. He's someone who comes into the office occasionally throughout the off season. He's you know, on slack, he's reading reports, he's watching video. So you know, I would imagine, as you guys know, he's not the most animated guy. But in terms of how this pitching staff is going to be deployed, that's a huge point of emphasis for Counsel. I think he was the one who put pressure on the front office publicly at the end of last year, during that daunting sort of monologue of saying, we should be trying to build ninety win teams around here, and he, you know, has certainly been a voice behind the scenes trying to kind of create a sense of urgency that I think you've seen in the moves the Cubs that made this off this winter.
Speaker 4: Is one of the reasons the moves. We talked about Alex pragmant sorry still have cardinal hair on my is one of the One of the the reasons why is because the prospects are coming. And we talked about Alex Pragman earlier, and they have Matt Shaw and he's supposed to possibly be there on opening day as their third basement. Is that what's happening with the Cubs. They finally built this farm system up to a point where the prospects are coming and they're gonna be used a lot to help solidify this roster.
Speaker 3: Well age.
Speaker 1: As you know, the Cubs would never overhype their prospects.
Speaker 3: That never happens, but no.
Speaker 5: Team does does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think I think there's a certain logic you in getting Kyle Tucker, you trade away Cam Smith, another first round pick out of Florida State who had crushed it at the Cape Cod League, was very much a fast riser in your system. I think there's also dovetails with counsels, you know, philosophy, his demeanor. He created a great space for Pete Crow Armstrong to really develop at the major leagues last year at a time when there are a lot of questions about you know his offensive development, whether he could kind of play under control, and he told PCA, like, look, just just play great defense, you know, focus on what you do well. You know, Councils has sons who are right around the same age as PCA, which I think gave him like a nice bit of context to kind of what these players are going through.
Speaker 3: At this point in their careers. And so Matt Shall, if they don't get Bregman would get a nice run there. I would say it's his job to lose at third base.
Speaker 1: Cops also of Nicol Horner coming off surgery, so it's a little bit of a question mark when he would be ready, and you know Shaw could play second base as well. And I think if you're looking kind of over the horizon, it's this trade deadline of the Cubs are gonna have a lot of pieces that they can move to go get whatever they need this summer, and I think it would probably be in their best interest to move some of these guys because they have a cluster of roughly you know, six to seven players in that top one hundred, you know, top one twenty in the industry, and there's just not enough room to give these guys the pathway to develop in the major So I think if.
Speaker 3: You give Shaw and maybe another guy comes up.
Speaker 1: And that was a big part of this the last Cubs era with Joe Madden. Of you have a Kyle Schwarber coming up to DH during those mid season injured league games, and all of a sudden, he's just hitting bombs in the playoffs against your Cardinals AJ. So I'd say, like, if they can kind of methodically work some of these guys in, I think this year will be a success for them.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense. Listen, you know where I stay with the Cubs. You know how I feel about the Cubs. Okay, but it's the happiest place on Earth behind Disney World, right, it's the Friendly Confines. But his patients growing a little thin because they won. It's almost been ten years now since they won. They finally did it. They broke the curse. The Cubs were told we're gonna win for the next ten years, and the next year after they pretty much started kind of going downhill rapidly. You know, Rizzo gone, Bryant gone, everyone gone. These guys are all gone, and they haven't really done much much since. So is the patience of the Cub fans, not that they had a lot of patience to begin with, but is it wearing thin with Jed Hoyer and the rest of this front office to put a winning team and yes, I'll say his name, Tom Ricketts and the Ricketts family to spend money to put a quality team that can go out and win the World Series.
Speaker 1: Again with the Cubs, well, I don't know how much time you spend in Chicago in the winter, but it's pretty bleak here, man, Like if you look at the city sports. Yes, that's a good move to say sports franchises right now, the Cubs are actually like pretty competent in comparison. That doesn't mean that does not mean parades down Michigan Avenue, But I do think it speaks to the relationship between Tom Ricketts and Jed Hoyer. Now, obviously the ultimate metric is the wins and losses at the major league level, when the Cubs have not made the playoffs since twenty twenty, and that is certainly on Jed Hoyer's ledger. But I think if you look at kind of stylistically, temperamentally, philosophically, like Jed Hoyer is exactly the type of executive that Tom Ricketts wants running his team, and yes, that does mean playing, being kind of in the hunt every single year, and having a good base of young talent, being to use a Rickets phrase, rational with contracts in free agency. I mean, this is not a team that is spending like the Dodgers, or is spending like the Mats.
Speaker 3: And now that's a whole separate episode.
Speaker 1: But I think within the confines of what the friendly confines of what the Rickets family are trying to build, I think Jed Hoyer checks a lot of boxes what they're looking for. And I don't know this division is bad. I mean, the Cardinals are not trying this year. Major questions about the Reds and the Pirates. I mean, we underestimate the Brewers every single year. But you gotta think they're gonna miss a damis so like it's set up here, and to kind of call back to the previous answer about the trade deadline, like Jet's gonna be in position to go for it and I think you will.
Speaker 2: Hey, last one bonus question here, how much better do you think the Cubs bullpen is this year?
Speaker 3: They just got.
Speaker 2: Brazier, Porter Hodge looks good. Ryan Presley obviously for the back end among some others that they did. Like, it just starts to shift some of the guys you were thinking high leverage more to mid leverage or whatever you want to call it. So should Cubs fans be excited that they won't blow as many late leads?
Speaker 1: Well, it's always going to look better on paper, and then as soon as the first blown save at Wrigley Field, everyone will be, you know, criticizing the manager and things of that nature. But yeah, it looks better on paper. I think Presley organizes things in a way that should help. If you look at these past couple of seasons too, what really hurt them was early in the season just getting knocked out with injuries and not having those answers in the ninth inning. Like if if they're just like a higher floor there, more stability. You know, you got a guy the highest paid manager in baseball, you know, pressing those buttons in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: I would think it would look better. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll see who's healthy by the time they get back from Japan and like the season really starts. But I think if you look at a pitching staff from one to whatever, however, many guys are gonna have in camp, like over thirty. I think it looks pretty solid on paper, with like we said, some flexibility to maybe even add here before camp starts.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good enough. Cubs fans will take it. And I know Cubs fans don't at me. We didn't put everyone on that list. I like Nace Pearson too. If you can stay on the mound, Patrick, thanks for the time, then we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: All right, you got it, guys, take care.
Speaker 2: All right here we are. It's a good point about the rest of the division.
Speaker 3: Guys, it's just not that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not that good. So it does help Chicago because the Cubs weren't bad last year. They just we're in a playoff team and it's been a problem in the last couple of years. So like, can we improve a little bit?
Speaker 3: And will that put us counting on you?
Speaker 4: Yes, counting on you, Tito, counting on you Ellie.
Speaker 2: Really, it's just not great, right, Like Cincinnati's done some things Kratz and I've liked some of the smaller moves they made, but the Cubs made the bigger impact moves.
Speaker 5: Oh oh my goodness, I mean what an upgrade Kyle Tucker over Cody Bellinger. Even Cody Bellinger's like the reason they signed him to that deal, like the year he had two years ago. Kyle Tucker's still an upgrade. That move alone with getting Presley, it's awesome. Would I would go against that? I think I think the starting pitching for the Pirates is gonna be really tough. So it's gonna be tough to just bludgeon the Pirates to death if you're the Cubs. But I still think the Cubs are the better team. I still think the Reds win this division currently currently where they're at.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then we had a couple of answers about schemes from earlier. Igarashi in the chat said, Yamamoto got a twelve year contract. Why couldn't Skeens get a ten year offer?
Speaker 4: Because different things you could, but he ain't gonna sign it, and they're not going to make a ten year offer.
Speaker 5: Yamamoto was a proven substance.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Skeens. One year just not the way the salary structure works, and most teams don't do that with pictures.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, others like cr in the chat, Scott's talking about the pirates right. Never will they extend schemes.
Speaker 5: Never.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to see. I just don't want anyone to overlook the fact that money matters. More so to some owners. Bob Nutting is money, money, money, and he's going to look at his books and be like, oh damn, this dude makes me money.
Speaker 5: Look at just go look at Look at the picture Paul Skins and Bob Nutting. You tell me if that is a guy who's going to extend the person on his right. Bob Nutting's standing to Paul Skeins left the picture they took at the Beas, And you tell me if you think that guy's gonna give the other guy an extension.
Speaker 2: He gave other people extensions. And that guy makes some money. And on the other side, you're a pitcher, get your first big check. It's hard to turn down nine figures if you're a young pitcher.
Speaker 4: Even he won't offer him that. I don't think he'll offer him that, though. I just don't snee him. If he yeah, if he went something like that, if he went six years one hundred and twenty six years one hundred something like that, sure, but he ain't gonna do that,