Speaker 1: Warning on today's episode no spoilers. We're talking about super Bowl trailers in our iconic and fully licensed spot stock Up stock Down. Hello, it was Jas Sconcepcion and I'm Rosie Knight and welcome back to next rap vision of the podcast where we dive deep in your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop poker company from our podcast where we're three episodes we play.
Speaker 2: Today, we're diving into the movie trailers that debut during.
Speaker 3: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: While we didn't get any doomsday trailers, we did get plenty of big names, including Yoshi torn Tons, David Fincher, and even Steven Spielberg. So we're bringing back a Boo our representative on the floor of the xr V Stuff Exchange to tee us up so we can tell you if we're stock up or stock down? Is it bye bye bye or sell sell sell.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. Aboo, Welcome to the Stock Exchange.
Speaker 4: Great to be back.
Speaker 1: I hand you the I hand you the microphone.
Speaker 4: All right, So we have we have a number of trailers that we had during the Super Bowl that I wanted to talk to you both about. Thank you so much for your recommendations in the last episode. By the way, I have invested all of my fake pop culture money into fake pop culture stock and things are looking up a So, first up, I want to talk to you Tube about Steven Spielberg's disclosure Day. Is Steven Spielberg stock going up or down this year? And should I invest?
Speaker 1: Steven Spielberg stock remains a very sound investment for those investors looking for a safe place to park their art or bucks, and it's a in an ove that will only grow with time. That said, I'm a little I'm a little stock down on disclosure Day, a little bit of a I thought it was a little bit boring. I thought it was a little bit of a boring trailer. I thought it was a trailer that was not more exciting than two thousand and two's trailer for Signs. I thought it was not more exciting than any other Steven Spielberg movie about Aliens trailer. And I was just kind of like, I'm waiting for something to happen. Crop Circles is not getting it done for me in twenty twenty six. Yeah, I'm gonna say push on disclosure Day, not stock down, not stock up. We need to see more. I'm waiting for a second trailer before I invest.
Speaker 4: All right, you're waiting, Jason, Rosie, what about you? Crop Circle's doing it for you.
Speaker 2: I think Jason's really covering the biggest points that I'm gonna be a little bit more cynical. It's been a while since we had a big Steven Spielberg hit. Some of those more contemporary movies, even the ones that have since you know they were released, like West Side Story or even Ready Player one a controversial movie at release, but that has now garnered a little bit more of a fandom. These movies have not necessarily had the same cultural cache as Steven Spielberg. And while I think the idea of Steven Spielberg and Aliens is getting the audience excited, I think Jason's right, we haven't seen enough. It so far feels a little bit derivative. I'm not sure if he's bringing enough newness to the notion of what a science fiction movie can be. So I'm gonna actually say I think I'm a little stock down. I'd say, if you want to sell a little bit, I wouldn't think it was the worst. But I agree with Jason, this is essentially a legacy studio stock, so you could slow burn it and kind of keep it around for a little and see what happens. But this closure day, I don't think it's going to be getting the markets hyped up either way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how I feel about it, too. Real life feels stranger than fiction, and so I'm not sure that this movie is doing it for me. Yeah, Okay, let's talk about a movie that I'm sure is going to do hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office. We also got a trailer during the Super Bowl for the Super Mario Galaxy movie. Jason, what did you think are you investing?
Speaker 1: I'm buying. I'm buying big time. I'm pushing all my chips this center. Keep this, folks, and I'm I'm looking at you, Mandu Grogu, uh, mister Fallowy, John Foureau. This is how you do a fifteen second Super Bowl trailer. Okay, thank You've got action, You've got conflict, You've got characters. You've got a wonderful hook upon which to set the bait to get people to show up to the debut of this movie. April first, twenty twenty six. I am buying the Super Mario Galaxy movie, and I'm saying right now, one point twenty five billion dollars billion dollars be Rosie.
Speaker 4: Do you agree?
Speaker 2: Absolutely agree? Jason is onto something here. The truth is, the first movie was a massive smash hit, even though it wasn't maybe the intergenerational, cross generational kind of Pixar esque comedy that some fans were hoping for. It hit with that big buyer kids market and it made so much money.
Speaker 3: So bye bye bye on this one.
Speaker 2: I think it looks fun. I can't wait to see how they expand out the galaxy. And if we're just talking monetary, Jason's wright, this has the potential to be the biggest movie of the year. There is a very very large chance that we end up with this being the biggest global hit rather than Doomsday, which is kind of a crazy thing to say because didn't make money like this, But this was one of the biggest movies of the year it came out. Plus it's made by the team behind Teen Titanscoe, who are incredible. Plus the star roster is incredible, Plus kids loved it, So I think this could be a big hit. So yeah, bye bye bye on this.
Speaker 3: One, guys.
Speaker 4: I agree. I think that is a very safe investment to make this year. Okay, next up, we got a trailer for the Adventures of Cliff Boom directed by David Fincher by Quentin Tarantino. Rosie, what are your thoughts on this trailer and are you buying?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I am buying, which might may surprise some people. As we know, I'm not the hugest Tarantino fan. I do think he has made some masterpieces, like Jackie Brown, but I also think and I really enjoying Glorious Bastards, but I also think that his cultural cachet is waning with all of that set I have to support this one because actually the trailer was incredible, So I will say I think this was a big surprise. We didn't know it was coming, and I think, m hmm, it sold people. But the real reason I'm selling I'm buying Bye Bye Bye because Guardina Cinema is in this trailer, guys, and.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is all.
Speaker 3: The interior shooting.
Speaker 2: They actually shot Guardia Cinema for a month for all the interiors shooting. Inside the screen, they have a different old school concession stand that they used, but the Guardia cinema was in this. This was a bit supporter to the cinema staying open and continuing on. So I'm buying for that reason because this is gonna be a big smash hit. You got David Fincher, you got Brad Pitt. But even if you're not necessarily the biggest fan of you know, the male meritocracy of Hollywood, this is actually something that is also supporting a Korean American family owned cinema. And I love that and it was really exciting to see everyone get excited and that sequence was also just really cool and weird.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm buying on this one.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: It's a little niche biting is worth supporting. Jason, how about you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we've got David Fincher doing Quentin Tarantino. You said niche. The niche is middle aged movie critics slash letterbox commentators, folks. I have to invest because I am the target audience that said I like, I have concerns. I do have concerns, and it's the same ones that you voiced Rosie, you know, question Mark. It is a Fincher feature off a Quentin Tarantino script. But again, I think as a as a a person with a letterboxed who goes to the cinema regularly, lives in Los Angeles and has arguments about john Ford and whether Fincher takes too many takes. I gotta buy. I'm buying where buy it is?
Speaker 4: Sense? I think I agree with both of you. I too, am buying. Okay, next up, this is weird. I did not realize this trailer came out at all. But the Minions are getting meta and we got a trailer for minions and monsters. Jason, are you still buying minion stock in twenty twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Yes, course, science Listen. Look at the track record of the Minion. It speaks. It speaks for itself. Okay, whether you like it or not, it's a fact of life, folks. That's it. And this trailer has been two days on YouTube, approaching eight million views already. Folks, all the all the early metrics say, by I don't have to say anything more. Whether you are a fan of Dominions or not. You know about the Minions and you know that they are culturally huge, folks, just buy into it. By gans, Jason is correct.
Speaker 2: By the minions, there's no a com by the Minions. Also guys, just think about this. The Minions became so popular that in one of the late Dominions movie they had to caininically freeze the Minions during World War II to explain why they did not support Hitler. So really, this is kind of franchise we came you've dreamed of happening. So yes, they did caninically get frozen during the World War two periods, so they wouldn't because you know, they help the most evil people on earth. So I think that's why spanning more into the fantasy, you know, not nod wink wink universal move here, but yes, guys, if you've ever been to a Universal Studios park, if you've ever been to a target, kids love Minions.
Speaker 3: Every kid in my life loves a minion. I know adults who love Minions.
Speaker 2: They still they'll be selling a nine dollar Minion lollipop and Universal Studios and people are buying it. You buy Bye by the Minions, baby, and you're gonna be making that yellow Minion cash.
Speaker 3: It's gonna go well for you.
Speaker 1: The entire the entire series basically is over a billion, every single one of you know, every single movie threele be more media. It's the Rise of Group. They're all doing just insane numbers, insane bang up hundreds of millions into billions of dollars of numbers. They fucking re released the Spicklement like it's just it's just a cash machine, folks, buy in you ever bought it by now?
Speaker 4: Okay, it sounds like it's never too late to buy in on Minion, it's just.
Speaker 1: Going it's the lesson today, guys.
Speaker 4: Well on that mini note. Let's take a quick break, Jason and Rosie, and when we come back, we'll continue going through our list of trailers.
Speaker 5: Bye bye bye, Okay, we are back.
Speaker 4: Next up, Jason, Rosie. Yes, the Hoppers trailer. Are you buying or selling? Rosie?
Speaker 6: Guys, I'm just like so baffled that Disney was basically just like after the success of Avatar, let's do that, but we put people into the bodies of animals, Like, I am still baffled how.
Speaker 2: This movie got made. It could be super charming. It's a Disney Pixel co production. The animation looks great. I love animation, but also like, do I need to watch like a movie about somebody who's become a beaver?
Speaker 1: A beaver like a beaver?
Speaker 2: Minion two. I don't really understand. Why do you want to go inside a beava's head. They're not selling it to me. Sorry, An's corrected me. It's not a minion, it's not a beaver. It's not groundhog, it's a gopher. No, it's a beaver's ava.
Speaker 1: It is a beaver.
Speaker 2: I'm sure some kind of animal with a long tail, a wide tale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you are a cell I'm a cell. I am you know. Here's here's what I think the thinking was. Uh, inside out is huge, right, like internal inside the psyche of a character, right, Avatar is huge where another character goes inside another character is Combine those two things with a cast of adult faves Meryl Streek, John hamm Uh, Dave Franco, Sharon Richard, and I Vanessa Bear. Like all your comedy and dramatic faves for the parents, give the kids this kind of mashup of inside out an avatar to play with with cute animals, and we we rake it in. But up with you?
Speaker 3: I understand the logic you're selling it.
Speaker 2: You're selling it feels a little bit pitch to me, but yeah, it's giving slap dash. Also, it seems like they're trying to also evoke a little bit of Turning Red, which was a huge hit for them, but they didn't realize it. And Aaron even pointed out a little wild robot like they kind of trying to get that oscar bait back. I think, do I think they're gonna do it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: So I'm on the I'm on the cell train, but I hope it goes well.
Speaker 1: Here's my here's my issue with me and why I'm selling, and and this is and maybe this improves. The trailer is a concept. It's not here's what the story is, yes, right, exactly. It's just telling you, hey, there's this there's this technology where you can go into the robots, the robots, robot animals. Right, I'd like to know more. Say, here's the thing with the Super Mario is it gives you a little bit Okay, I get I get an idea of the outline of the adventure here, it's just merely the setup. So I'm gonna sell for now, but maybe there's a second trailer that gives me something more to grab onto. Story wise, I gotta have story in my trailer, guys, I agree.
Speaker 3: I gotta happy, Okay.
Speaker 2: Also, I do want to ask Jason and Abou do you think this is representative of one of the real standout talking points this year, doing a teaser for fifteen seconds during the Super Bowl because you want people to go to YouTube. Do you think part of the issue here is like we're not getting enough time with these stories.
Speaker 1: I think that there is something to that, and I think it's also an acknowledgment that YouTube generational YouTube is where it's at, That's where everybody under twenty is, and if you want to really capture that audience, you have to be there. But I agree with you, it doesn't it makes you know. The current structure of trailer drops during the Super Bowl feel very, very different and unsatisfying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unsatisfying is definitely the word for me. I don't want to have to go to a link after I watch like ten seconds, ten seconds, But I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Just lost my hand.
Speaker 4: Come on, other things to do? The next trailer list here scream seven folks, the killer is coming for Sydney's Dogs.
Speaker 3: Well, bitch, I'm selling, selling, selling.
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 2: They can't do enough to make me want to sell it. More like they just doing too much. I think that the obviously I've spoken about my feelings about Melissa Burrera recasting. But let's like and the refirming of this being like Sydney and her white daughter, and I feel like that is not the right story for right now.
Speaker 3: But anyway, aside from.
Speaker 2: That, the trailers are giving away both everything and nothing. It's giving Halloween kills, we get it. There's going to be an opening kill at Stew's house. It's giving like they rushed it through. And also, you know, they've not made a lot of friends with the burn it Down billboards that they've put up all over the area where the fires were last year. That was the hashtag they chose. They also haven't made friends with the meta AI ability that is going to allow people to put themselves into the film. They've also gone back to an old school marketing technique that was never very popular, where you get us students or free people online to do fan art and then you use it to promote your multi billion dollar movie or whatever. So I just think that while I want the franchise to succeed, I do say feel like we are about to get off us kind of mid fop ish scream movie that probably won't have a cultural renaissance in the way that some of the other ones have had. So I'm going for sell not only based on the trailer, but also based on the way that the movie is being marketed.
Speaker 1: I'm also a sell. You know, Scream originally nineteen ninety six is Scream. Part of what was so thrilling and to made that movie so legendary and so timeless is it was a perfect amount like mix of a wonderful horror movie, comedy horror movie and it's own right, and also a very very sharp edged satire of some of your favorite horroronies. Yeap, how can it be with horror as vibrant as it's ever been, I would argue that that satire piece feels completely gone slash rudderless. Yes, there does appear there's like a Halloween Kills aspect to it, but it's not even clear that that's a cont kind of thing. And there's none of the there's none of the finally needle pointed, targeted hit set tropes that have developed in the genre over the last ten years. There's some there's some really incredible horror movies out there, like really you can't take a shot at five nights something like it's.
Speaker 3: Just weird that the shows you're still in the wesgeist.
Speaker 1: That you're still in it. Yeah, you still understand what is going on inside the genre, not just inside your movie franchise. IP and so I gotta sell sadly I go.
Speaker 4: To Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. Okay, let's talk about this next trailer. Personally, I'm already heavily invested in this. Whe Oh, Jason, what are your thoughts on the Project tail Mary trailer we got during the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I'm buying. I'm buying. It's a book that you read that you're like, I can see this being a movie. Yeah, and here it is. I think it's the perfect combination of director and cast. It's a it's a hopeful sci fi about saving the globe from a you know, ecological collapse. And honestly, if this had been the trailer that Steven Spielberg could put out, people would be fucking climbing like over walls, Yes, going crazy, jumping.
Speaker 3: Absolutely true.
Speaker 1: This is a This is a wonderful, magical trailer. I'm exciting.
Speaker 3: I love it. I'm barbray, I'm buying. Also, I got to tell you, guys, I think that we really know.
Speaker 2: The a studio believes that the movie has legs when they make a Lego out of it, and they have revealed some really freaking cool projectile Mary Lego, and I think like that, alongside the fact that this trailer looks like the kind of Amblin nostalgia bait, but with something else like pushing it forward, this is a different kind of protagonist than we've seen before. Ian mentioned, you know, have the trailers spoiled the book. I'm not gonna lie. The magic of the book and the reveal in the book is incredible, but how do you market a book like that. We've had that conversation, and I think that what they've managed to do is bring in the aspects that are usually more secretive in a way that just makes you more excited to see the movie, which I think is a really a testament to the skill of the editors. I love Ryan Gosling. I think he's a star. I think he's a great person. I just I want this movie to do well. I'm buying not only because I think it looks magical, but also because I want it to succeed. This is like an investment I'm spending with my wallet. Guys, I'm supporting with my wallet. Let's support weird sci fi movies with great casts and incredible creative teams.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. I want to see it.
Speaker 1: Kids are gonna love this rocky. Yeah, they want They're gonna want a rocky plushy. They're gonna want a rocky little boo boo. They're gonna like it.
Speaker 3: I think, Jason, great cool because.
Speaker 4: By you are, science nerds are going to be all over this movie.
Speaker 2: If part of the reason that they'd spoiled it is because they knew the toys would come out, So if they hadn't have spoiled it, the toys would have spoiled it anyway.
Speaker 3: So now you can have the lego, now you can have the plush the hot topic. You're absolutely right, He's going to be the little guy of this movie.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about that. That's very exciting to me as a little guy lover.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm currently working my way through the book, which I'm enjoying. I also wanted to say, I believe Greg Frasier is the cinematographer for this film. He previously worked with Danny Villanovo on both Dune films, and it shows the shots in this trailer are gorgeous. I cannot wait to watch this on a giant massive I'm.
Speaker 2: So glad you brought up Don actually a Boo, because I was thinking about that with the Lego collaboration. Because also that is another adult focused franchise where they understand that there is a nerdy market, a collectible's market, a market of people who are one going to have an an orna for copter or you know whatever the fancy bird copters are and doing like and I love that they understand that Project hel Mary is a similar audience. So I love that you bought the connective tissue behind the screen too.
Speaker 3: I think this could.
Speaker 2: Really be the breakout of the year if it's as good as it looks like it's going to be, and maybe that will push us to some really fun new sci fi places in the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I certainly hope, so I'm investing my money. Okay, let's take one more break, Jason Rosie. When we come back, we're going to talk.
Speaker 2: About Mando and Grogy, which we have not song that.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're back, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Jason.
Speaker 4: We got a teaser trailer I suppose for Mandaloris Grogu. I don't know that. I don't know that. I want to call it a trailer, But what are your thoughts? And are you buying or selling Mandoin Gregu's stock after seeing it?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, yeah, sell, sell, sell, sell. The previous teaser that we saw left us wondering, uh, why does this look the same as watching it on my laptops watching you know, the mandalorian of my laptop screens shouldn't be judged up a little, shouldn't be jazzed up. And then we get this teaser trailer that I guess was like half a teaser, half a satire of a Budweiser Clyisdale ad using tontons, no story, no conflict. Is this a scene from the movie or not? Like so many questions, I gotta sell this. This movie comes out in May, Crazy, And what you're telling me is, if this is the scene from the movie, this is your most completed set of footage, you have to you have nothing else, There's no there's This movie comes out in three months, and there's no other anything that you can show us. During the turny second ad Crazy, I had to sell this is a lot.
Speaker 3: I'm a lot alarming Jason's having the right response. Guys, this is alarming.
Speaker 2: There is a time that a two minute Star Wars Super Bowl trailer would have been the talk of the Internet for months. We would have been dissecting it, we would have written fifty articles, we might have done three episodes, and yet instead they have managed to turn this into feeling like a TV special. I think the Clydesdale commercial plays into the TV special of it. Or Also, the funniest thing was all I saw were people sharing their memories and memes of the time that the Clydesdale's knelt after nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: So I do not think it had the culture and meme impact that.
Speaker 2: Disney was expecting. I've got to be honest. That is the legacy of it, all those memes. We love the baby, we love Pedro Pascal. But guys, come on, we need to know what is the movie about, what is the plot? What is going to make it stand out from the TV show?
Speaker 1: Like come on, sal sal sal, love, Love the Baby, Love Pedro Pascal. Sixty of the shots in this trailer, or close up some ton CON's head and see what ass what is going on?
Speaker 3: What can we do it?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 1: Also, but to me, the platonic ideal of a Super Bowl movie trailer spot is twenty twelve's a dangers spot during during whatever that was LEXV Like, I forget which super Bowl that was, but I went from hopeful but not particularly enthused to holy shit, I think they did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, that.
Speaker 1: Answered all my questions, calmed all my fears. This just made me very nervous. It truly has made me very concerned.
Speaker 2: Because also like, what could even if that wasn't just made for this, Like what could the plot be? And also like I think that Disney is misunderstanding the cultural cachet and place off Star Wars right now. If this was the first Star Wars commercial for the first project that we've.
Speaker 3: Got on for ten years, and you see it and you think.
Speaker 2: It's a Clyesdell commercial and it turns out to be a torn to one and it's a tease that there's.
Speaker 3: Going to be a new Star Wars movie.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a world where that works, But the idea that people are going to be so excited that they have Star Wars characters like homaging one commercial didn't even commit to it being a recurring bit, which someone on the pod suggested, and I think would have been way funnier if they'd have homaged. You know, you could have had them surfing like or the Guinness Horses commercial on the waves or whatever. Like there's a bit of more commitment that would have made it maybe land But yeah, not delivering, not hopeful, and it makes me feel like they heard people say, hey, it looks like that's what I would watch on my TV, and they went, well, yeah, that's basically exactly what it's gonna look like, so better not show you guys anymore. That's kind of how it feels to me, sadly. So I want to see that bombastic trailer for example, Guys. I meant to say this before I saw the project hel Mary Traylor. Just the other night when I was watching sent Help, really fun movie.
Speaker 3: It was on XD.
Speaker 2: It looked incredible. I was like, I want to see this on an imax. That is not how I feel. I will watch Mandalorin and Grogu on my phone and I don't even watch stuff on my phone, but that's the vibe.
Speaker 3: It was giving.
Speaker 2: So like, give us something more, guys, please please sell us help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is is Pedro? We don't even know.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Like, was that even the real baby?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Like the fifth is that the fifth baby Yoda puppet?
Speaker 2: They had that one in Canada on the side, so they used it, and they had the the Stumpman in the.
Speaker 3: Suit, Like are these even really the Staws? Did you pull out the stars for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 3: Well they got us both on a Steven A. Smith type brand today, but I think it's a silly choice. They didn't do a good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does feel like we're in dire straits and that we're heading toward a potential done of a movie, which is really tragic because I want this movie to be good, good.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: They got to pull out something desperate now. They need to, like Grogu's Dad needs to like show up Dad. We need like a Dad off movie or something to get me reinvested, because right now I don't know what this movie is about and it looks bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, imagine if Groguity and a Budweiser frog hilarious.
Speaker 1: Karen, Yeah you should be.
Speaker 3: That would have been great, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: I totally agree with you, And again, there's nothing worse than a half a joke like was such Clydesdale, Budweiser satire or not?
Speaker 4: Right, don't make a commit to Yeah, yeah, Okay, Well those are some of the trailers from the super Bowl that we wanted to highlight. But I think to wrap up, it's worth maybe touching on some things that didn't air during the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: Notably we did not get any Marvel trailers and the Supergirl trailer which was released the day of the super Bowl directly to YouTube, skipping the super Bowl altogether, Let's start with Supergirl. Jason, how are you feeling on your investment strategy for James Gun and Supergirl?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm bullish on James Gun. My worries are more the structure around him. They're all kind of like corporate volatility and whether it is the case or not that Warner Brothers and whoever you know puts down the price for Warner Brothers in the coming months. Actually is fully one hundred invested in the James Gun averse the strategy he has put forward for DC. I think this trailer is wonderful, but but the only thing that keeps me from a full throated investment, and I'm a buye just based on the quality I'm a buye, but what is going on with the company in general? And and it concerns me. And you get the sense that whether it's because of this underlying volatility and the questions about the the ultimate fate of the company, that the company is not one hundred percent are pedal to the metal behind anything, including Gun and DC. It just feels like that, like why not do this at the Super Bowl? Why why do this in the day of and then the weird James Gunn kind of like, oh, it's going to be the public bull but then I'm going to It's like it's it feels again, very slap dash, very kind of like let guns own personal arm who at a marketing department ship agree? And so I am I have concerns. I'm a bye, but I'm attentative.
Speaker 2: I'm I think Jason's covered really the worries you need to know, guys, But I'm gonna be a little bit safer.
Speaker 3: I'm actually gonna be a push Let's wait and see what happens. I think I think that I agree bullish on Gun, bullish on his vision, but I am not bullish on the fact that DC believes in it.
Speaker 2: I'm already getting one, James Gunn did not direct this movie. Two, I'm already getting the feeling of okay, so you didn't do a super Bowl commercial for the female led superhero movie that's meant to be your biggest movie of the year. That's smacking of someone at the top does not believe this is a sellable movie. I'll be interested to see what are the toy lines gonna look like.
Speaker 3: Are they gonna really heavily market it in that toy ethic sense that they did with Superman? Those kind of things. You need people at the top who believe in the movie. And sadly we know from people like Ike Perlma, from the experiences of Marvel, even just from the fact that we don't really have a lot of female led superhero movies even now compared to how many male ones we have, that has never been seen as like a buyer's market. I also will say, even though great trailer really fun, there is not a lot of new footage in here.
Speaker 2: The new footage mostly is just of the Kryptonians, which I love, and I love Kryptonian law.
Speaker 3: But I again slightly worried.
Speaker 2: About what this movie's gonna look like and feel like especially because the art style is so stunning.
Speaker 3: Bill Chris Everly's art in the first.
Speaker 2: Original Supergirl Women of Tomorrow book is so incredible and fantastical, and they are definitely pulling back on that and making it look a bit more like generic orangey superhero movie.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna say push. I think the movie will be great.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna find its audience, But I do worry that if it doesn't make a billion dollars, we could be at the end of the James Gunn era of DC, because it does feel like whoever was his biggest, loudest champions there have maybe got a little bit less power now, and we know that that can.
Speaker 3: Totally derail a movie release.
Speaker 2: I got to do a really cool interview once with Alex Winter and his collaborator on the movie Freaked, a very now cult classic movie.
Speaker 3: That movie was beloved by the exec at the studio. It was going to get this huge release. They had spent all this money on it.
Speaker 2: That exec left and the next exec went to one bad screening of it and was like, we're shelving the movie because it was like a crazy screening in South LA. Nobody got it. It was like totally rowdy, like those kind of things. It can be personal opinion, and my feeling just feels like the belief and impact that they had with Superman, the way they did the Superman roll out, the junket, all of that was so incredible. They got people feeling hopeful, excited. I worry they're not going to put that same amount of energy into Supergirl, and then it could become a self fulfilling prophecy. So I'm gonna say push, but I believe in it, and if you believe in it, this could be a good little investment to kind of support Supergirl with your fake pop culture money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in the push camp as well, because I also I'm a little worried about the tone of the film. I really love that the comic is. The darker parts of the comic, the more slower reflective parts of the comic, and I feel like the movie's getting a little bit of the like and down the Edges agreed, make it You're a little more palatable generic superhero movie, which I think would be a miss. It misses a lot of the what makes the comics so so goot.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: Okay, Rosie's sticking with you for a minute, let's end on Marvel, who were a no show at the Super Bowl. Does that make you worry? Does that make you want to pull back on some of your some of the things you've already invested in Doomsday and Marvel franchises this year, or do you think Marvel doesn't need the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: They're firing to be real?
Speaker 2: I think at this point, Marvel, I think this was a missed opportunity for them. I think this would have been a great place to tease, even a fifteen second teaser of how all those characters were going to come together, even just an amalgamation teaser of all of them with maybe a title reveal at the end, with a good logo. They need the momentum to go. In the past, we know that Marvel has loved to show their own self importance and place in the market, which was for a long time number one, by essentially going outside of these systems that usually make these announcements. They did it with the El Capitan announcement, a very famous one where multiple of the movies never came out, but a lot of them did.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 2: The last huge one was presented by ash Cross and they were there they were talking about Blade with Marsha l Ali. Again didn't come out, but we did see some of that phase stuff happen. Marvel likes to be either at San Diego Comicon or say hey, we don't need that, let's do it here, let's do it outside. I feel like here they felt like they were doing something like that, maybe with the rollouts, but I feel like that rollout was far from smooth, and while it did get people really excited, including us, it would have been cool to see them come out with a big, bombastic strategy. You know, we saw Robert Downey Junior there, he was wearing the Doomsday's T shirt. Then the hype on the internet started going, Oh, are we going to get a five second teas or are we going to get something? And we're going to get to see him as Doom. And I think that they missed the opportunity to be the main conversation starter, especially because as we've kind of talked about, none of the trailers hit in a way that made it the trailer you needed to talk about, and a lot of the ad time was actually taken up by corporations and glps and AI and all this other stuff that didn't hit with people in the same way. They felt like they were being sold to, which obviously is the purpose of an advert, but the whole idea of the Super Bowl is you're meant to not really.
Speaker 3: Feel that way.
Speaker 2: So I think that Marvel could have come out here with an incredible talking point if they had something great, and the fact that they didn't do that and instead Disney spent the money on that Mandalorian Grogu and that makes me worried because I'm like, you didn't have fifteen seconds of doomsday that was better than that?
Speaker 3: Like that's worrying.
Speaker 2: Like I just think I think they were trying to prove, like we don't need the Super Bowl, but I don't think they proved that is how I feel.
Speaker 3: Jason, what have been?
Speaker 4: Do you agree? Jason?
Speaker 1: I mean you said it all. I agree. I think that you know, Robert Jannny Junior did post a picture of him watching the Super Bowl wearing a doomsday shirt, which smacked of desperation degree it. It smacks of disagreements within the Marvel Disney camp about whether or not they should something. That shows me that Robert Downey Jr. Is like, why didn't we do something and I think when you put that all together, the rollout of the various teasers that we've seen in recent weeks, with the kind of secret code that people are excited about but have kind of lost interest in again, it feels like a kind of it's like when Lebron you know, claps and throws the chalk in there. There's a lot of chalk in the air, but the but I don't see anything yet. Yes, and I agree with you. You've said it all. It was a missed opportunity and it does leave me worrying. Now here's my tea. If this was a May release, I would be very, very worried. Like Mandalorian Grogu, it's a December release, so there is more time on the clock, and I think, hey, it's the yeah, yeah, it's December, Like you're gonna start seeing trailers like back to school time and it's gonna be it's a different rollout schedule. Fine, I still feel like you could have done something, And the r DJ kind of like rogue post makes me wonder if there isn't trouble in I agree.
Speaker 4: All right, Well that's it for the Super Bowl trailers.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go make some tweaks to my stock portfolio after these conversations. Thank you for enlightening me.
Speaker 2: I want to just say, guys, with the with the rise of certain apps that allow you to really bet on things, we just want to add an extra disclaimer that this is fake advice and you should not use any of this advice to bet on any of.
Speaker 4: This in real life.
Speaker 2: This is just us being silly and having fun about what we're excited about, So I just wanted to add that disclaimer there at the end. Do not use these to bet on anything.
Speaker 1: Please please. On the next episode of Extra Vision, we've got the biggest news and we're coverage of any the Seven Kingdoms. That's it for news. Thank you boy. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator