Speaker 1: This episode of Busting with the Boys. The Boys is presented by Barstool Sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah beards, gnarly m dud.
Speaker 3: It's getting big.
Speaker 2: It's killer, you see that. I mean, first off, let me introduce myself, Minames Taylor. We've never met. I don't know if you know I play football for the Titans. Yeah, man, but I do. I do know your music. I'm a fan. I'm a fan of music. Did you kill it? As far as like contemporary country goes? I'm a fan and I'm nothing more than a critic that doesn't deserve an opinion. What's are you in Nashville right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, what's this quarantine thing like for you? Is just absolutely wild?
Speaker 3: I had to cut my own hair.
Speaker 2: Watch let it rip.
Speaker 3: I was driving me crazy. Man, do you I've had you gude?
Speaker 2: I was doing I've been growing this out for like a year. It's been about a year like now, like now is around the time. It's been a year, and I hate it, but I'm just gonna keep it writing, dude, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go a mullet for like a month when I cut it. That's really like, I can't stand long hair. It gets in your face, it drapes over you. It's it's annoying, it tickles your face.
Speaker 4: Ago, I had like super long haired.
Speaker 3: It was terrible and super early. No, I can't stand it anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, dude, you're a heart throp Like every damn song you guys sing is about you know, people love people, you love another girls. I actually have a question about one of your songs. Oh, one of your songs, and we could I should have probably waited to get more into it, but we're doing basically Chad to Wilson's Down and those songs break up with Him? Yeah, yeah, you say, I know you're not in love with him, break up with him? Is that him a real person? And does that guy know it was about him?
Speaker 3: Man, that song is not a real, real story.
Speaker 4: It was just something we were doing to like make us ourselves laugh. We wrote that like in the middle of an night in a van, really driving, when we were traveling around the country in a van and everybody was asleep. It was probably like two in the morning, and we had been kind of jamming on this thing at soundcheck earlier in the day and I was listening to it on my phone and uh, it.
Speaker 3: Was like two in the morning.
Speaker 4: I had this idea for like a one sided phone conversation song, and Trevor was awake in the back bench of the bus of the van at that point and it was like two am.
Speaker 3: So I went back there and I was like, hey, I got this idea, and so to keep from waking.
Speaker 4: Everybody up, I just started whispering it into my phone. So that kind of like, yeah, that kind of like set the tone for this creepy, like hey, what's up thing, And then we were we were just laughing our asses off in the back of the.
Speaker 3: Van and that's all that was. And then, man, we've had so many people that would come up.
Speaker 4: To us and say, like that song made me break up with my boyfriend, and couples. Mostly we get couples that come to us that say, like, we're together because of that song because I played it for her she broke up with the dude and that it's with me. So we're we like to focus on the matchmaking element of it rather than the home wrecking element.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, when you when you started doing music, or was this like what you wanted to do? Was it like like I want to be a country singer, like that was your the genre you want to go to growing up or did you kind of follow into it in a certain way.
Speaker 3: No, I kind of fell into it.
Speaker 4: I was, you know, in high school and stuff I was in like rock bands and grunge bands, like with the band I was in, wanted to be Pearl Jam and you know, just like stuff like that. And then moved to Nashville really to be a songwriter. I didn't really want to be an artist. Wasn't really coming down here to like try and be.
Speaker 3: Famous or everything. It was just trying to come down here and write. It's the loudest bird.
Speaker 2: I love it. He's perfect there.
Speaker 1: We just make it.
Speaker 2: Work, bro.
Speaker 3: But came down here to be a songwriter really, and then in the.
Speaker 5: Band's so you're in that shill right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could have just went on the bus.
Speaker 2: Boys on the bus.
Speaker 3: We'll see yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to do that. We're gonna have to get on the bus somehow in the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just right now, fully stocked and parked.
Speaker 1: Oh so, so like all of yours, like you're part of like a squad. You get you're part of a band.
Speaker 5: Like we've interviewed individual artists and stuff like that. So when you say, like you're you moved here to be a songwriter, are you are you mostly responsible for for writing all the music for Old Dominion or is it kind of like a collaborable.
Speaker 4: Time collaboration, Because that's what Trevor, who's in the band, he moved here for the same reason to be a songwriter.
Speaker 3: And Brad, who I knew from a lot of us knew from Virginia when we were a lot of us grew up in Virginia and went.
Speaker 4: To college and stuff in Virginia went to college together, some of the guys did, and they knew Brad.
Speaker 3: And anyway, Brad moved here to be a songwriter.
Speaker 4: So individually, we all had been working on trying to be songwriters and we were writing together, were writing all this music together, but playing you know, in bars and stuff at night. And then we started to have success as songwriters for other people.
Speaker 3: So we started, you know, getting hits for other people.
Speaker 4: But we were all in a band together, yeah, just and people started going like, what is this band full of dudes that are writing songs for other people? Let's go check them out. And then that sort of fueled our success.
Speaker 1: All nice. You guys are all kind of writers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so we write all together.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we go in the studio, Like the last album, the way we started recording that was we just went into the studio with no songs and just try to write and record a song in the same day, and that became a hit for us. So we all get together and write a lot together.
Speaker 5: Are you guys doing like zoom stuff right now? Like just zoom meetings and you guys got on ya.
Speaker 4: I can't do it, like I've tried. Some of the guys are like, it's hard for me to like get into it. I'm sure I will at some point. But some of the guys are writing numbers and a lot of people here in Nashville are doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got your buddy and named Ernest who does a lot of that stuff. He's got like they do like writers rounds all the time. And I'm not I have zero musical talent at all. I might even appreciate it, but I've got awful I've never even picked up a guitar, but like, just listen to what people have to go through in Nashville is outrageous. I mean, getting chance to talk to. I mean a bunch of people, the Kings of Leon, guys, Thomas Rhett, those those types of dudes. Seeing what they had to go through is just it's fucking crazy, dude.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you guys slug it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, you're out there playing for pennies at hockey talk like, Hey, I hope to God someone in this crowds wanting to give me a little gig.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, ultimately, man, you just have to do it because you love doing it, and whether it's gravy, if it works, but ultimately you just have to do it because you love.
Speaker 2: Where'd you grow up at?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Uh? In Virginia.
Speaker 4: It's this little small town called Buckcannan spelled Buchanan pronounced Bucanan.
Speaker 3: It's about nine hundred people.
Speaker 2: And what do you what did you decide to move to Nashville just after high school?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I went to college. I actually went to art school uh at DCU in Richmond, Virginia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, we can hear you. What's upbody? The boys?
Speaker 1: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Just super super casual and awkward.
Speaker 3: But after college out decided?
Speaker 1: Are you a Redskins fan?
Speaker 3: Dude, it is so hard to be a Redskins fan.
Speaker 1: Oh, no question.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 3: I grew up.
Speaker 4: I grew up being a Redskins fan, and I try to hang on to be Askins fan.
Speaker 3: It make it tough, dude, who's.
Speaker 1: Your team now?
Speaker 4: Well, you know this is a great year for the Titans. But you know it's funny like when we tour with Kenny Chesney a bunch and you end up playing all these football stadiums and you end up meeting all these people and it's kind of hard to have a team, you know, like because you you start like identifying with all of them and like you're like I know somebody from that team where I know this guy, and like you.
Speaker 3: Start like just this feels bad.
Speaker 4: I feel bad like rooting against people except for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Always rod against the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 5: Hey, I actually had a question earlier when we were talking about you know, doing doing what you can to be heard or like to see if you just get a shot and stuff like that, what's the best story or what's the farthest you've like reached to like be heard, were like get in front of somebody, like what's like the most like you know, I went to that extent so I could be.
Speaker 4: Sort of it's just sort of an epic story, but I'll try to keep it short. But there's a there's a songwriter's festival in Key West that they have every year and the whole town of Nashville basically goes down the Key West and it's this big festival.
Speaker 3: And I have kids, two daughters.
Speaker 4: And I was a stay at home dad at this point in time, so I was like trying to like raise my girls and then I would ride at night and everything, and a big part of any business obviously is networking and getting out there, and I just couldn't do I couldn't like get myself in front of the right people. I was frustrated. I was broke as shit, you know, And and I knew that if I could get down to Key West for this festival, that I could spend four days down there like getting in everybody's face, right. So I said, if I could find a plane ticket, I'm going down there. So I had a buddy who has a brother who is a pot for American Airlines, and he gave me a ticket.
Speaker 3: So I had a free ticket down there. So I went down there.
Speaker 4: I packed a small bag because I had no place to stay. I was like, I don't care, I'll sleep on the beach. I'm going down there, so no place to stay. I go I land and I'm walking literally walking down the street pulling my bag, and this buddy of mine is like.
Speaker 3: Hey, I didn't know you were coming. Where are you staying.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't know, and he's like, I got an extra bed. You can crash in my room. So I was like great. So I had a free room, free flight, free room. I bought a box of granola bars to eat. Yeah, people like were buying my beers and stuff. I didn't pay for a single beer or whatever. And you you'd have to wait like till about three in the morning at this open mic thing to get your chance to go on stage and play a couple of songs. So I was down there and the house band at the time was Brothers Osbourne. They weren't Brothers Osbourne at that point, but they were a band called King Billy at that point.
Speaker 3: Billy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so I waited until about three in the morning and got up on stage and told them, you know the chords of the song, and we played the song and that performance basically got me a publishing deal off of playing that one song, and.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So then on top of that, Nashville was flooding. It was like ten years ago, So there was a big flood in Nashville and all the flights back to Nashville were canceled. So I go meet some people for breakfast. Nobody was like, hey, come meet me for breakfast. So we're sitting at the table and I'm telling everybody this whole story about how I've come to QS and spent four days and no plan and no money and nothing. You know, I had this big epic night. And there's this dude sitting at the end of the table that that I didn't know. And at the end of the story, he was like, well, hey man, I've got a private jet and there's an empty.
Speaker 3: Seat and we're heading back to Nashville in the morning.
Speaker 2: If you want to get out of here, bro bro Broke. Your procast is like, I gotta get down to Key West Snakes, Snakes, Free Beers, and then you play an open mic. Who came up to you? What was the dude was like some guy or girls just like, hey, I liked what you did there. Like here's my car type of deal.
Speaker 3: It was, no, it didn't like happen quite like that.
Speaker 4: It was just because like I started getting all these phone golls, like what did you do last night? Because everybody's talking about your song and everybody's talking about what he did. So it was like it just started this buzz, and you know, I started getting phone calls and finally got the deal, and.
Speaker 2: Then and then and then, and then you're writing songs. You're writing songs out there for other girls to break up with their boyfriends, and you're wrecking homes and now you're home. Record dude, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Record dude.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's epic. Well, that's gonna be like the biggest high ever. Like you're like, I got this dream, I got this goal. You're basically state based. You're you're put your thumb up trying to catch your ride to Key West, and then you get the gig. That's gotta be a crazy high that like that meth probably couldn't even get you and time, oh dude, and you're sitting there smoking a cigar, feed up, chilling on a p JE. Dude, you know what a fight it was? Was it a fat point?
Speaker 3: You're just drinking.
Speaker 4: We were drinking tequila and playing Tom Petty songs on guitar.
Speaker 2: Get the hell out of here, dude, that's awesome. Hey, hey, this song of it. This would be way cool if Tom Petty was actually on the plane killing it. Tom Brady and the heart Breaker is just out there. Oh yeah, man, you play music with me too. What's your name? Tom Petty? Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Oh it's hey man, not just like yo, where.
Speaker 3: In the am? I?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That wild? So okay, Like, let's hit that. Let's let's stay on the same time. We do a horrible job of staying on topic of this podcast. By the way, you're coming. You're coming on our bus when this is this quarantine thing is up, So get ready to go around two with us. I'm thinking, So you you land in Nashville. How mad is your wife? You've been gone for four days straight.
Speaker 3: And two kids like shes like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not good.
Speaker 4: It was not good because like our house was flooding, like it was like you're hung over.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I smell like.
Speaker 4: Tequila because I've been drinking on the plane and my dad had to drive down and like pump out the basement and everything so it was not the best scene, but it turned out.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, that okay, so your wife's pissed almost divorced back in the game. You did it show you just held up the sheet of paper. Just sit Big Bull Letters Publishing Apple. Yeah, Matt Damon And is that Matt Damon?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, dude. Thank got it into like an idiot right there.
Speaker 5: And before we go onto the next topic of the pod, which I hope you're thoroughly enjoying. Shout out Matthew Ramsey, all the free shoutouts to the boy the bus and boys got to read a couple of ads and you you you know how, you know how this goes. Mac Weldon. Mac Weldon believes in smart design, premium fabrics, and simple shopping. You get on their site. Everything's from a bird's eye view. You can navigate it easy. You can do it on your phone, computer, whatever. You know what you're shopping for. When you get on there, mac Weldon will be the most comfortable underwear socks, shirts, undershirts, hoodies, and sweatpants and more that you will ever wear. They have a line of silver underwear and shirts that are naturally anti microbial. I think I said that right, and if I did, Fuck yeah, dude. It basically means they eliminate odor. They want you to be comfortable, So if you don't like your first parer underwear, you can keep it. They will still fully refund you, no questions asked. Not only does mac Weldon's underwear, socks, and shirts look good, they perform well too. So working out and I'm going to work, going out on dates, just every day living, dude. I'm setting on my futon right now in their underwear and a T shirt and my wolf.
Speaker 1: Dan doing these things.
Speaker 5: Bro. Macweldon values the shit out of their loyal customers. That's why they've created a Weldon Blue Loyalty program. And here's how it works. You create an account which is totally free, place an order for any amount, and never pay for shipping again.
Speaker 1: Once you do that, you're at level one. To get to Level two.
Speaker 5: Once you purchase two hundred dollars with the products from mac Weldon, not only will you continue to receive free shipping, but you also start saving twenty percent on every order you make for the next year. Level two also grants you access to new products before they released to anyone else, and they give you free gifts added to future orders. What I did, I went on their site. I ordered the pants Big Pants Guy, trying to find comfortable pants because I got these diyes. I got this ass dude, and I want something comfortable but also looks professional. So I went right after their pants. They got a little tapered look, so you kind of look like you're in style, and they have it's like ninety eight polyester right, so it looks professional but also seems super comfortable. Absolutely love them. I also like if I didn't love them. What I like about what they do is they're guarantees, so if I didn't like it, I could keep it and they'll still refund me. Again, no questions asked. They're not trying to question you. But I'm a huge fan of their stuff. Like I said, I'm sitting them on my food tongue right now, rocking their underwear. Bout their pants, Big pants Guy.
Speaker 1: I love their pants.
Speaker 5: Here's what you do, here's what we give you. For twenty percent off your first order. Go to macweldon dot com backslash Busting and enter promo code busting b u SSI N again macweldon dot com backslash Busting backslash busting and enter the promo code busting for twenty percent off your first order.
Speaker 1: Shout out the boys.
Speaker 2: So okay, so you get this publeou deal. What's next? What happens after that you and the boys get together? Is your band are together at this point?
Speaker 4: No, we're not together at that point, but we we are like playing music so together, but we're not.
Speaker 3: We haven't formed like a band yet.
Speaker 4: So then we start kind of writing together a little more, and then then we do start like it was pretty shortly after that that we started. We had our first actually it was my first.
Speaker 3: I signed that deal.
Speaker 4: And then once you get a batch of songs, your publisher wants to make demos, right so that you can pitch them out to other people. And the guy that I signed with had heard us play some a couple of times and was like, hey, why don't we just use your band, the guys you're playing with, to make the demo and see So that was the first time we were actually in a recording studio and we made this thing, and we we kind of were looking at each other going like, man, this sounds like a band.
Speaker 3: We sound like a real band. Here, we should see where this goes.
Speaker 4: So that was like right after that that we really started to form a band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can assume that, Like, like I mean, if you went out on your own and you have to go get a band, I feel like the courting process to go get like a guitar, but it's got to be kind of awkward, like, well, how does that even? I can't imagine go to some guy be like, hey, so, like, how's a free turkey sandwich and a bus routs and tequila sound for you to play with me while I make all this money right exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't know how those guys do it. Man. You know, I wouldn't do it, but a lot of people do.
Speaker 4: Man, because I guess again it comes back to wanting, you know, really loving it, I guess.
Speaker 1: So was everybody pretty on board right away?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because honestly, man, nobody really thought we were gonna you know, it just sort of happened.
Speaker 3: Nobody was really We weren't even really like making this like hard run for it.
Speaker 4: We were just kind of having fun, you know, like we were playing in bars.
Speaker 3: We would drive like I had a mini van.
Speaker 4: We would drive to like Alabama and whatever and play and you know, make forty bucks a piece, Like you know, we were like, oh yeah, forty bucks, you know, and and uh, we were just having a good time and.
Speaker 3: So like it just sort of like overtime, slowly.
Speaker 4: More and more people started coming and then like we started to get like a song on XM radio, and it was like getting bigger and bigger, and so it truly was like a natural thing that happened. I mean every record label, we took meetings with, every record label in Nashville, they all turned us down, but we just kept on doing it till finally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so finally, I.
Speaker 4: Mean we literally had a song on the radio and Kenny Chesney invited us to go on a stadium tour before we ever got a record deal. So all of that. Then they finally were like, Okay, I guess we need to sign these guys.
Speaker 1: Breakthrough.
Speaker 3: That was part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was kind of the kicker that made them go, I guess we need to when you sign these guys that are already on a stadium tour, there they're doing all right.
Speaker 2: Yes, just put the cart before the horse in that regard.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah, we definitely kind of kind of backed into it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Hey, gets killer. Dude. Hey, there's more than one way to skin a cat or whatever the phrases. I don't know, Yeah, I'm thinking so anyway, it's Kenny. Is Kenny a football fan? What's the who's his team? Man?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know he's buddies with He's buddies with the Crafts. So and uh, the Patriots are that whole area.
Speaker 1: LETU sellout? Who's not buddies with the Crafts? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: You feel like it's so more more like people are like, oh, the buddies with the great.
Speaker 2: To us too.
Speaker 3: Man played a couple of Super Bowl parties for him, So everybuddy doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. I'll tell you what will be buddies with him? If they give him a call, I'll tell you that much. We'll sell out in a second for them.
Speaker 1: Will he needs me to go to massage parlor?
Speaker 2: I'll go. Dude, I gave you a loaded question because the thing is is at the facility. Our head trainer, his name's Todd Torricelli. Shout out Todd, dude. He's an absolute stud. He's been boys with Kenny Chasney for a while. So Kenny's in and out of the place all the time, always getting rehab. He's got shoulder stuff, all that, all those kinds of things, And so I thought, in my head, man, this guy's got to be a Titans fan. And and I don't even think Titans even crossed your mind. You're like, oh, well, he's friends with the Craft family.
Speaker 4: Then it's the same thing as I was saying earlier though, like he's probably got relationships with all of them because you know, he like fills those stadiums up year after year and he knows all that.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's insane, and.
Speaker 2: He's got such a killer vibe like his uh dude, he he him my Uncle Cracker, Like even Toby Ke Yeah, definitely, Toby keeps had like kind of like crushed, like that beach country vibe. If I need a drink, you know, every swim in Dick south of the Mason Dixon whenever they get to the beach, their first thing is to crack open their favorite beer, get their Instagram pick with some Toba keys and k Cracker in the background.
Speaker 1: But you're right, though, Like.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know the Uncle Cracker song was about like cheating until like I just got until I was like late twenties and I actually like said the lyrics out loud. I was like, oh, I literally just sang the song because I loved.
Speaker 2: It, right, because you're a basic white guy, And that's exactly.
Speaker 1: Exactly doing basic white dude brainwashed by.
Speaker 3: The country out there killing it.
Speaker 2: That's that's epic, dude. So you guys played Kenny, these these these companies that were just dragging their feet the whole time. We're like, all right, I guess we'll sign these slappies now. Yeah, and he has a crushing it. He has a Heartbreakers now killing the.
Speaker 3: Game doing good.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Cannot complain. It's pretty incredible, man.
Speaker 2: He is at have blown up. What's it like? What is is there a song that you guys made that like this means a lot to us? Like this is the one like that maybe you wrote that was a big deal to you or is it all kind of like a like I don't, just a whole bunch of thoughts built into one from each one of you guys, and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: It's kind of it's kind of a hodgepodge and it changes. But you know, one Man Band was the song that's sort of like.
Speaker 3: That took us to a different level.
Speaker 4: Like we never can like predict why that is, but for whatever reason, from the moment we played that song, the crowd went insane and.
Speaker 3: We were like it was a noticeable difference.
Speaker 4: So then we started talking about, well, maybe we should, you know, make this song a single, and before like we really made it the official single, it was kind of out in the world and people were singing it louder.
Speaker 3: Than they sing some of the songs that are our actual hits.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for.
Speaker 4: Whatever reason, man, that song really stepped up the game for us and has been incredible for us.
Speaker 3: So that one's.
Speaker 2: Pretty the reason I like, first off, one Man Band is my favorite song by you guys. It's so easy to sit there and relate with it, right, Like, everybody at one point in their lives been sol everybody in at one point has been in a situation where you're like, man, I wish I had someone to be with me, and you know, using you guys artistic vision to talk like kind of bring that back and like, hey, I'm on the stage by myself and I wish I had someone to single harmony with me. Bang Bang trash hotel rooms, all that, Like, it's a very cool way that people are like, oh, I can get on board with this, you know. Yeah, I mean it's it's no secret while you guys have had so much success you have, you're extremely talented. Your lyrics are pretty unbelievable, Like years are crushing them. Like I said before, I'm a fan.
Speaker 3: Thank you man. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: No words, Yo, has there ever been?
Speaker 1: Has there ever been? Like a song?
Speaker 5: I always like when I ask musicians this, so you feel like you're writing for a reason that's more mainstream, because you're like people are just vibing with this kind of vibe more than what you actually wanted to want to write about.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean sometimes you know, like when Women our first album, we just were like, let's write some bops, you know, let's sit down and try to write some straight, straight up hits.
Speaker 3: Let's not you know, worry about anything else.
Speaker 4: Let's just try to let's hand them an album full of songs that could be a hit on the radio right now. So and then you know, we that kind of It's a good thing that we did that because it gave us a pretty strong foothold with radio and everything. And now you know, we've got a little bit more freedom to sort of just you know, be a little bit more out there. And because we're established, I mean, anything, anything we write, it's typically a commercial sounding type of thing, even when we think it's like way out there. It's so ingrained in us to like try to write a hit that it ends up kind of having something in it.
Speaker 3: That's catch here, hooky or whatever.
Speaker 4: And we love you know, that's the kind of music we love too, so you know, we we love all that hookey stuff.
Speaker 3: So it's just kind of naturally comes Built Bar.
Speaker 1: God, I love this shit. Did you know?
Speaker 5: Our bodies need protein to help avoid age related muscle loss and maintain.
Speaker 1: A healthy state.
Speaker 5: Also, after water, protein is the most plentiful substance in the body. This means the majority of our organs, muscles, and tissues are mostly made of protein. That's why I eat this shit. That's why I eat Built Bar. Bill Bar is the fastest growing protein bar in the world. They innovated the perfect protein bar that tastes amazing. We all try to eat, eat healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle. We all try to find we all try to find ways to get more protein in our diet, Jesus Christ and fumbling over my words. And this is why I eat Built bars at home, at work throughout the day while I'm quarantining, like you need snacks the whole time, all supplement with that built Bar. It's a great taste in protein bar that has historically been an oxymoron. Most protein bars are chalky, dry, no flavorites, all bullshit out there.
Speaker 1: You guys know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Bill Bar changed all that with a protein bar that legitimately tastes like a candy bar, so every day feels like a goddamn cheap meal. They have chocolate, They have a chocolate and creamy texture, a variety of flavor options. Unlike the traditional protein bars you see. You get fifteen grams of protein, one hundred ten calories, four grams of sugar, which is huge, and six grams of fiber, which is even fucking bigger. Built Barr is offering our listeners twenty percent off their first purchase. Go to built bar dot com and enter to the promo code busting b U s SI N at checkout to receive twenty percent off your first order. That's built Bar b U I L T B A r dot com and use promo code busting one taste and you'll be fucking hooked and you'll be tweeting me and at me and be like, comp thank god you put me on this shit, dude, way to be a wolf. Now back to the podcast, Have a beautiful fucking day, and as always, big hugs and tiny little kisses.
Speaker 1: I love that. Tell you.
Speaker 5: Uh, hey, so I was on were you on the I was on your Instagram earlier old dominions Instagram. You guys just came out with a documentary. Yeah, can you can you talk.
Speaker 1: About that a little bit?
Speaker 5: I actually, right before we got on here, it's like ten minutes long. I sat and watched it, and that thing, that thing's awesome, man, that thing's inspiring.
Speaker 1: I don't want to like add or use my own words.
Speaker 5: I'd like you to explain what your documentary is about, why you wanted to do it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it's you know, it's started with the with the music video idea, which was for for our single right now it's called some People Do, which is you know, it's a little bit of a departure for us as far as, like, you know, we talk about like hooky hit song type of things. This one's like a ballad and a kind of a tear jerker and you know it's a heavy song. And uh, we met this dude, Jason Snydeman, who is like a hair and makeup guy. We met him like on one of our first like official photo shoots, and he was the dude that was like helping us get dressed and fixing our hair and everything, and we just clicked with him.
Speaker 3: He's just a super cool guy.
Speaker 4: And so for years we used him whenever we could, and as we got to know him, he started telling us his story a little bit, and he's an addict and you know, recovery and you know how he used you know, he went into this program and it taught him how to be of service for people. And he's extremely talented hairstylist. So he goes out and helps homeless people and gives them like haircuts, cleans them up and talks to him about sobriety and try he can take them to you know, he takes them on trips to rehab and you know, he like really works with these people and makes him feel special. And so we're thinking about an idea for the video. He just popped into my head and thought like, Wow, this would be a cool feature for the video. But it's hard to like tell all of that in a three minute music video, so we did a little bit longer version where he allowed him to kind of tell his story and what he's doing, you know, in his community to help the homeless population and just an amazing, inspiring dude. Man, he's he's an awesome guy and just a great vibe to be around and just makes you want to be better.
Speaker 3: So we like went down.
Speaker 4: There and and helped them out one day and just followed him around and we literally just went down on Venice Beach and LA and set up some tables and brought a bunch of pizzas and had boxes of t shirts and he had a whole team of hairstylists and barbers and and we just were there and people would walk up and go what are y'all doing? And he'd be like, you want a haircut? And they'd be like yeah, And then like I mean, people started just coming and he was they were just hair was flying everywhere. Man, They're just gotting all these people hair and we were just talking to them and give them. It was it was an awesome day, man, it was really it was really changed your perspective on you know, the homeless population in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me personally, Like I fall in line with that, Uh, with that falling in the box of you think they're they're wanting a dollar for booze or they're wanting to you know, do bad like he.
Speaker 1: Mentioned it in the documentary too.
Speaker 5: In my perspective obviously shifts like when you watch something like that and honestly, like throwing the boy a compliment, I learned more about like the homeless population and stuff to like Taylor because Taylor and his wife Taylor, and they're very big and in that community and providing things for them. And anytime anytime we pull up to something and I know, I'm just said, I know, I'm giving you oops right now. But anytime we pull up anywhere and somebody comes knocking, like Taylor's always giving cash no matter what, like you know, uh, he's he's got this quote I'll let Taylor said, I don't want to take all of his stuff, but like that, those kind of things is when I started to shift my perspective and seeing Taylor and then I saw that I'm like, yo, this is Uh, it's just really cool because you you truly just don't know where somebody comes from, what their story is. Like, yes, some might be of certain come from a certain cloth, but you have no idea unless you try to intentionally get to know somebody or lend a hand help them out.
Speaker 1: But that's honestly, like, kudos to both of you.
Speaker 5: Both of you are the biggest reason my perspective has changed kind of in that world because I am guilty of being.
Speaker 3: That characters that would drive up everybody, yeah do nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure, for sure.
Speaker 2: I think I think everybody to some extent it has been down that path before. Because as like human beings, like we're like Willims says this all the time, like we survive in advance. We're just trying to get to the next stage or to help ourselves up. And when you see someone panhandling or doing whatever on the corner, it's like, yeah, of course, like that person could go buy alcohol. But the reality is, like our job as human beings, it's not to say you can and cannot do what I give you. It's here's my opportunity. I'm gonna do my part just to help this individual, regardless of what they do with it is up to them. But like you've crossed that bridge and to okay, I put a handout to help this person up, and it's like, well will the phrase well is talking about is giving somebody a hand up, not a handout. And there's this guy who works as a charity called Home Street Home. And this guy was he was homeless Home Street Home. Yeah, he was homeless for I think six years and I might booker the entire story. But this guy now has a home, has a whole charity. He's raised you know, I think you know, over a few hundred thousand dollars dollars. And when he goes is he literally takes people in that are homeless and gives them close, gives them food, gives them shelter. He's working on building homes to these people that go in in the city of Nashville and kind of rehabilitate themselves. Because when you asked anybody on the street, like what what percentage of you are homeless an addiction, you would think it's in the thirties, forties and fifty percent. Like those people, it's only seven percent. Only is there a percent of people that are affected or because of addiction, which which again is not like something you should ever. You know, it's not our jobs as human beings to judge those people. What never is And like we're we're all super lucky, like you said, like, well you do. You gotta love it and like you you got to go and play music and you got to like do the shit, like you got to sit at the stand with one mic and there's three drunk guys yelling at you on stage and you're just hoping to get a five dollars tip. Like we got to go through this shit to play in high school ball, you know, you try to go through college and make it and you're working. You know, it's it's pretty it's such a crazy difference, but there is that work up and you make it because you're good, but you also make it because you're lucky as shit, and a lot of people don't have that luck. Like and I think, you know, you give somebody a dollar, Like what's it to you if you have a dollar to get, like, you know, it's not gonna affect you. It's not gonna take me if I give a dollar out.
Speaker 4: And the thing is, man, maybe maybe they do go by you know, alcohol or drugs with it, but it's the moment that you speak to them for for us, like, that's what we really like that we really like noticed was how much they appreciated if you just took a second to ask him a question or ask them out there, you know, their their hair, or ask them what their name was, or you know, just just that interaction, you know, just to have them feel like a person and not just someone to rush by. You know, go do whatever you will with the money. But you know, if you give them that interaction, it's they appreciate it so much. And it just kind of like you were saying, like one guy was like, man, he was kind of telling us his story, and he was like, you know, not everybody's out here because you know, they're addicted to something. Like you know, it was like for me it came. He's like, my wife had heart trouble and it was either for her heart surgery or keep a roof over our head. And he's like, we had to do this surgery out she died without it. So we did this surgery and we couldn't afford to pay for our house and he ends up losing his house. I mean, it's just like you said, like some people don't have that luck. Man, It's like, so it goes a long way when you can just do whatever you can, it doesn't have to be a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, did you guys make that the quarantine? All this stuff going up with no if this dude, anybody who's listening to this podcast, that we are the wi fi out here, whoever it is, is getting absolutely trash right now. So thank you for sticking along with us. I think I think one thing this Quarantine's gonna teach us, I think is like it's it ain't about just me or just you. It's about like, it's about all of us. And because we've had to shut down the country in a lot of ways, and the economy is absolutely getting blasted right now, there's gonna be a lot more homeless people out There's a lot more people that are unemployed because of this whole thing. And maybe you've been a person that's like, you know, why doesn't this bum get a job? And you might be one of those people that are now like out there doing it and it's it's not about it's it should never be about I'm doing better than X, Y and Z, Like you need to do the best that you possibly can. Everything else is is whip cream and gravy at that I mean, not in that combination. But you know what I'm saying, Like, it's all it's all about, like you do the best you can. Yeah, a little gravy, you little something. Dude. No, it's wild, dude. This whole thing is just crazy. And it's just this this quarantine. People are bitching too much. How many times? How many times in your life have you sat there and said, man, I wish it would just slow down a little bit, you know, having two kids, I got one more kid on the way, i'mbout to have two kids, and with my one daughter, I'm like and sometimes I'm just like, hey, I need a minute, yeah to calm down, do let everything just and it never happens. And then this quarantine things, everyone's like, oh, I got to be at home now, I gotta do this. And you know, jobs are suffering, money suffering. I'm very I'm understanding of all that, but it's like it's opportunity for a lot of people to work on themselves from like a like a soul standpoint, from a mental standpoint. Doesn't this is.
Speaker 3: Believe I've been home in six years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and I bet like in a lot of ways, as long as you take the right way, you'd be grateful.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Yeah, I mean it was you know, like you said, like, there was a lot of times where I was just like I need a break, dude, I need to stop.
Speaker 3: This is gonna kill me. I need a break. And then all of a sudden, I'm like, I didn't mean that much of a break.
Speaker 1: It's like the first week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you're treating like snow nights, like, yeah, they go to school the next day.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, let's stay up, let's do ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now it's like, hey, hey, we got to get out.
Speaker 2: It's wild out here that this ship is crazy. It's just it's mind blowing. And people need to take advantage of People need to take advantage of what they can't control because people doing to a bitch all time. People always bitch about something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Before we get out of the documentary segment, did it take you guys?
Speaker 1: Did? Did you did you have all like the music video and all that I watched all that stuff?
Speaker 5: Was it only that one visit and you guys pretty much got it all everything we needed?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, so we have this dude man, his name's Mason Allen. He's the guy that made the video and and the documentary. He's he's our like tour got he's like our tour photographer comes around and he just goes on tour. He's this young kid and he's extremely talented.
Speaker 3: He's made some videos for us.
Speaker 4: Before and and so he went out to LA for a couple of days before we got there and followed Jason around and you know, shot some stuff. But most of it was that one We were just there for that one day. Most of it was that one day. We just you know, it was from you know, we got there probably like ten in the morning and we're probably done ten at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, and that's on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, YouTube.
Speaker 1: Under what's the documentary? And it's some some people can change.
Speaker 3: Some people do, some people do.
Speaker 4: And that'll get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 5: So, whoever's listening, you want to watch the documentary, go on YouTube and some people do. Is what the documentary is called, Darrel. Do you want to ask him or should I ask him?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 1: We need a favor, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't I don't even know what.
Speaker 5: Matter of fact, Hey, Taylor, he could be the first one on the bus to do it.
Speaker 1: What's that picking with the boys?
Speaker 2: No, he do it Picking with the boys, Bob, what's up?
Speaker 1: I know, I know what I mean, dude. I saw him. I saw his Instagram. He was a strumming the acoustic. So basically what we've done is bust with the boys. We have a segment called Picking with the Boys.
Speaker 5: And so, like Ernest and a few artists, they basically send us a riff like, hey, shout out with the boys.
Speaker 1: Like thanks for having on Picking with the boys.
Speaker 5: And since everybody's quarantined right now, they just like you see artists doing all the time, they just kind of play and strum on the guitar. And so we created a segment called Picking with the Boys. And I'm thinking, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Met Like, I'm thinking the boy is like he shout out picking with the boys, baby, and you drop whatever beat you want to drop. It could be an original, it could be something new that you made up. But boom, we jam it, we put on Instagram.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's the favor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, I do that for you, and ultimately we want people to come on the bus to do it. So like we wanted to gain traction to where people are like, hey, can we come on the bus to do because it's like a little studio set up we have on this rusted bus.
Speaker 1: You probably saw it, and so I was saying, hey, maybe you're the first one that comes on the bus and hits it on the bus and.
Speaker 3: Then once all this way from I would love to see that thing.
Speaker 1: Man, there we.
Speaker 2: Go, there we go, thanks, killer, and thing's absolutely killing you. Crush it on the bus, dude, you'd murder it. How old are you kids? Well, I'll let you get out of here in a second. This this these pods are a little shorter. But how old are your kids? Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got a kid, Both of them are getting up there. Mine's thirteen and ten.
Speaker 1: That's wild, Dan, you're you're old.
Speaker 2: I'm old, dude, old you boy born in seventy seven. Yeah, hey, hey, I tell you what. I know that beard's got some just for men in it.
Speaker 4: It doesn't actually, man, I don't. Man, My mommy even doesn't believe me. But no, there's nothing. There's there's too much gray in there for to be just a minute just for me.
Speaker 1: Taylor backed up from the camera, he doesn't need to be in the shot.
Speaker 2: I'm lucky at you say that that's salt. You have a little crumbs of salt. Dude, that's crazy. No, that's wild. I mean I'm stoke. I'm so stoked to have another kid. I'm having another girl too, So I have two girls now. Girl like Kobe, I'm like you, and I'm like Kobe.
Speaker 4: Dude, it's the best, man. It's awesome. The girls are the this man.
Speaker 1: So what's next for Old Dominion?
Speaker 5: Oh you guys, you guys had an album dropping nineteen banger by the way, you just.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hopefully we get back on the road, and you know.
Speaker 4: Like we're just like, like I said, this as long as we've ever been home. So it's getting kind of we're getting kind of itchy. So we're trying to figure out ways to get our music out there and get some sort of performances out there to people while this is all shut down. And in the meantime, we're just gonna be writing, and you know, it's opened up a lot of space. So I imagine we'll start recording again here pretty soon for the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pick up with the boy. That's a way to get to get get your.
Speaker 2: Music out, you guys, get you just some traction and you're dying for followers on Instagram almost a million. You guys are getting crushed out there. We'll help you out a little bit. We got your back off.
Speaker 1: Yes. So have you guys been making some magic while you guys are Quarantine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been working on some stuff, so we haven't really done much together. But everybody's kind uh working on their own things.
Speaker 1: And so Quarantine album, dude, that's gonna be the hot right.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of excited about that.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of excited about like it's changing how we make the music to see how it comes out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt, man, a lot more stories from storytelling music.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Well do Hey you you crushed it on the podcast. We really appreciate having you on, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, thank you guys. Appreciate it. Man, It's fun.
Speaker 2: You're a stud, dude. I mean, we got to make this whole o.
Speaker 1: You got to make him a Titans fan.
Speaker 2: Taylor, We'll work on it, dude. I'll tell you what we need to do is once this whole things with Quarantine things over come on, we'll head into the podcast. Get a couple of boys on there. We'll do a real one because this this is so it's it's so awkward doing a zoom. I'm staring at you and you're you're like, it's your frozen and then just moving around the crazy you know what I'm saying. So it's it's hard. It's hard to like, you know, do the whole thing. So we'll get you on here. We'll talk you in to being a Titans fan. Man, I mean, you gotta you live here, buy in. I am fan. I am Get your seventy seven jersey.
Speaker 1: Shirt, a busting with the shirt.
Speaker 3: Send me that jersey man.
Speaker 2: You didn't give a ship about that shirt?
Speaker 1: We'll give you. Hey, Yes, send me the jersey man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get your publicists send uh, send your address to me and I'll send it off right.
Speaker 4: Awesome, dude, you got bright.
Speaker 3: I'll see y'all.