Speaker 1: The Times a league record.
Speaker 2: Bring we will sue you to.
Speaker 3: The gunner. Welcome, hang out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Friday, July seventeenth. That's arm Laden. I am Peter Rapple and today one burning question for every team in the American League. This is part two after yesterday's episode Part one, going through the entire National League. But we're gonna start with this recent trade deadline report from the New York Mets. A rival executive said, the Mets have informed everyone that they're basically open for business. And we're going to end with a weekend preview. And it is all brought to you by bet MGM and BETMGM is officially live and Alberta, Canada. Or remember to use code just Baseball when you make an account because if your first pick loses, you'll get it all back in bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. And everyone who has a bet mgm account can use this MLB no Sweat home Run token. You don't got to worry if your bet didn't clear the fences. Just activate your token today when you bet on any player to hit a home run in any MLB game, and if that player were to fail to go yard, you're going to get your stake back in bonus bets. Remember to use code just Baseball on bet MGM to unlock it all. Also, if you're looking for a home run bat, I personally like Cody Clements. Weirdly enough, my model makes him the most likely guy to hit up home run today, And I was thinking about it, like, what why is he number one?
Speaker 1: Show?
Speaker 3: Hey O Tani is facing the Yankees, Like, there's plenty of great bats out there. But then I look at Colin Ray with wind blowing out at Wrigley, and it's blowing out to right center, exactly where he hits most of his home runs. And Ray has allowed fourteen of sixteen home runs against left handers. So I was like, oh, Cody Clement sneaky has sixteen home runs, So I get it. So that would be my pick. What's your pick real quick for today? Yeah? Any any any feelings that you got on a home run guy?
Speaker 1: Well, now I just want to take another left handed hitteror.
Speaker 2: Playing at Wriggly there, I'll go Josh Bell, I'll stack him.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: Twins Nation before we get into anything. Happy birthday brother, turning twenty nine today, I put out a nice tweet. Five and a half years ago, we started just baseball and now you're the best prospect writer out there, a BBWAA member, and I hope to keep it going.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, dude, It's been awesome.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how much of a blur it has been already five and a half years. But yeah, this is the last year for me to be able to enter free agency and get a long term deal, Like we talked about it next next year. If I try to answer free agency I'm not getting anything more than four years.
Speaker 3: Still. One of my favorite bits from part of my take is when pft is he was turning thirty and he was like, I think it's officially time to give up my dream on.
Speaker 1: Y being in the NBA.
Speaker 3: The other like the age they were like, yeah, before that, I still had a chance. So technically at twenty nine a team could still give you a look, but you got one more year of it. Yeah, this is it.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to make the most out of this last year, maybe get on the pep tide, see what I can do well.
Speaker 3: The Mets have certainly not made the most out of this season. We got a new recent report from Chelsea James, who's an MLB insider for s n Y, and the report reads a rival executive said the mets in informed them that everyone but Juan Soto, Carson, Bengje aj Ewing, Christian Scott, and Nolan McClain are available for a trade. And my first thought immediately goes to Francisco Lindor. Are you telling me there's a chance with Bobaschett. I'm still thinking about when Paul Hembikitis aka Hembo came on the show and floated Bashett returning to Toronto. I'm thinking about that. Clay Holmes, I know he's currently on the IL, but he should be back relatively soon. Is somebody gonna go after him? But I wonder why they didn't include Lindore on this list. Now I get it. In theory, he's owed thirty two million dollars until he's thirty seven years old. He's currently thirty two years old. He's not off to that grade of a start. However, this is Francisco Lindor we're talking about. I thought the point was marrying the two door and Soto and creating a young core surrounding them. But technically, and they've been fielding off as nothing is said in stone yet, I still think it's unlikely that he's traded. Yeah, the fact that he's not on this report was the biggest thing that stuck out to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's one of those where it's not like, oh, I guess I for you know, forgot to mention him like a you know, an omission there. There's a reason why it was mentioned. I don't think he's gonna be traded either. I think between the money and the fact that that's not gonna do it in a salary dump. So whoever it's gonna be acquiring him is gonna have to still give up something.
Speaker 1: It's gonna make it really difficult for that deal to happen. But I think the.
Speaker 2: Omission of Lindor in the names of players that are untouchable, I think and large part is because they are definitely I would be expecting them to be willing to listen because you are one hundred percent not able to move Soto in that contract. No one's gonna take that on, even though it's not necessarily a bad one. The Yankees tried, maybe maybe they could try to make it curious.
Speaker 3: Do you think nobody would take it on.
Speaker 2: I think there's three teams that can one of them he's on, and then I mean the Yankees couldn't go that high and didn't want to match that structure, So you could really say there's two teams.
Speaker 1: The other would be the Dodgers, who didn't do it right.
Speaker 2: So like that's the crazy thing is like the Mets outbid everybody for SODO services, So I just I don't see that happening. And ultimately I think they keep these two together. But I think when you have the history of you know, the butting heads that they kind of have had a little bit from even though it's most of even behind closed doors, but seemingly it has become a little bit more public, the struggles of the team are only gonna make that stuff worse. Like I could see the Mets and concerns being like, hey, we should probably maybe we want to shake this up. Also the money that would clear up for the Mets to be able to go do something else. But at the same time, who are you gonna go sign a free agency this year that's better than Francisco Indoor?
Speaker 1: Who are you gonna be able to add that's better. I don't see where that would be.
Speaker 2: Wes Lindor, with the injuries, is having the worst year that he's had really of his career so far.
Speaker 1: So it's unexpected.
Speaker 2: That said, I think the larger part of this report, though, too, is said like the Mets are one of the few clear cut sellers, and I think the Mets will be one of the first teams to trade away from their ball cup. Like, I think they're going to jump start this deadline a little bit quicker than others.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think Devin Williams is certainly going to be on the move. I think Luke Weaver might be the best reliever acquired at this deadline. Considering that the Red Sox per Fangrafts have an over forty percent chance of making the playoffs, increasingly unlikely that they would be willing to part with the role as Chapman making. I think Luke Weaver potentially. I mean, who knows what the Padres are going to do if they decide that Mason Miller is on the table. Throw out that statement about Luke Weaver being the top reliever available. But if Mason Miller is not available, I think Luke Weaver would be a welcomed edition to a lot of clubhouses. Another point on Landor, John Hayman came out this morning and tweeted out that the Yankees are not in the market to add a shortstop because when considering teams who could potentially take on the money that Lindor is owed. Again, there's another shortlist, right You mentioned the Dodgers, who of course have Mookie bets at shortstop. Could they move off them? But do they want to truly add another huge contract like that? Who knows, but technically they could bring them on. The Yankees are another team like that, and maybe the Phillies, but there's just no way the Mets are trading Lindor to the Phillies when the Phillies have Francisco Lindoor. So I was surprised to see that the Yankees aren't even in the market for a shortstop. I know Volpi is not nearly as bad as Yankee fans are calling him, but if he is on the other end of that trade, I don't understand why the Yankees wouldn't at least think about it bringing Lindoor onto this team. He would be a perfect fit. Now I know he's not having that greade of a season, but the defense is still above average when you look at the difference between his walls his ex world. But he has been one of the more unlucky hitters in Major League Baseball. But I really don't need an ex Wloba bloba equation to tell me that I still believe in Francisco Or is bad at thirty two years old. I'm just citing numbers that are happening right now where even if you're the biggest Lindor hater, you can't really deny what's in front of us.
Speaker 2: Any of injuries to explain it too, like he's been banged up all year.
Speaker 3: I think the Yankee should absolutely be exploring a Francisco Lindor deal. I tweeted last night there's no way the Mets would trade Lindor to the Yankees, right.
Speaker 2: And that's another one where it's like it's not inter division, but like I think it would be a tough optic cell as well to send him that way. It's about if you whatever is left of this year, so I guess it would be about five in a quarters years left at about one hundred and one hundred and seventy five million dollars hundred and seventy two million dollars.
Speaker 1: We're going to be exact if you want to.
Speaker 2: Just make it easy math like, for the next five years after this season, it's five years of one hundred and sixty million dollars roughly for Francisco Indoor Like, there's teams that will take that on, I think, but you just start to try to match it up and it gets difficult. And also again the season that he's having makes it tougher. But at the same time, it's not like you're paying him through age forty one. It's it's up to his age thirty seven season. And I think the tough cell will be When the Mets gave this contract out, a big part of it was that you were getting those prime years. You're getting age twenty eight, twenty nine to thirty thirty one. This is kind of like the last she perceived prime year, and he's been banged up physically. So most teams aren't jumping out of their chairs to take on contracts where the best part of it is already behind them, right Like, the back years of this deal are kind of accepted as the price to pay for the prime years that you're that you were paying for and what you were getting, So ultimately, I don't think he goes anywhere. And ultimately, I think like for the Mets to be competitive sooner rather than later, I think they've got to figure out a way to make it happen with Lindor and Soto and the rest of the guys that they have around them. Like if you have your everyday shortstop figured out where he could be still, I mean, when healthy, he's arguably one of the best in the game. And then you have Soto as well, Like those are two huge building blocks. You've got the young kids, You've got McClain in the rotation. Christian Scott, who we just talked about yesterday made us look great, proceeded to just shove on the only game on TV last night, and he just continues to look like he's settling in.
Speaker 1: They have the pieces.
Speaker 2: I think you trade and really reshuffle this team, But I don't think you need to trade. You know, one of the best shortstops in Major League Baseball at an all time low.
Speaker 3: So rank the likelihood of these three players getting traded Clay Holmes, Boba Schett and Francisco Lindor, and is it in that exact order I just laid out.
Speaker 2: I think it's in that order because John Hayman pointed out something really important the other day, which is that Boba's Jets contract is almost fully paid out for this year, so you get paid like a forty million dollars signing mode.
Speaker 1: So he's do we not owe anything this year.
Speaker 2: Now, it's still a little bit of a poison pill contract because if you acquire Baschett, remember it's it's player options for next year in the year after that. So if he stinks he's going to opt in for forty plus million again, he's going to opt in for forty plus million again. But now at least it makes it semi possible that if you're acquiring Bashett, you're not taking on fifteen million dollars for the rest of this season and then the forty.
Speaker 1: So that is where it gets interesting.
Speaker 2: And maybe because the Mets already paid it out, they say, hey, if he opts in for next year, you know, we'll put in a stipulation where we'll pay down ten of it if you give us like some really good prospects, which we've seen the Mets do in the past. Right, they paid down that Verlander contract. To get better pieces back, they paid down a couple of deals, I think to get better prospects back.
Speaker 1: I don't think that would be the craziest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: So I still think it's unlikely for Baschet, but the fact that this year is already all paid out, so the team acquiring him it doesn't have to worry about it. And next year maybe the Mets get paid down a little bit. I think there's a world where it's remotely possible that Bishek could be moved. And then Clay Holmes, he's already throwing. I think they said he's inching back towards a rehab assignment the second that he looks. I don't even think he needs to be on the mountain in a regular season setting for a team to say, hey, let's go get Klay Holmes. With the way he looked this year, and with how many teams are gonna need pitching.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, one more player that I want to throw at you that I wasn't shocked was not on this list of untouchable guys, but I was a little surprised. Francisco Alvarez, Yeah, Homers last night brought his ops up to seven seventy three. And this is on the heels of a twenty twenty five campaign where he posted his seven eighty six ops. And you can say, well, the defense isn't great, and I would agree with you. But at the same time, he is twenty four years old and is flashed really solid tools behind the plate. Right, He's flashed a good arm, he's flashed receiving skills. It's just kind of gone up and down with him defensively. Now I really don't know what to call him as a defender. At times I think he's really good. At times I think he's really poor. But then I have to remember in the back of my head, this guy's twenty four He's twenty four years old. Yeah, could he get better? Absolutely? Could this be an eight hundred oh ps bat behind the plate who's averaged defensively and sometimes showing flashes of above average, even elite abilities to receive the baseball?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a good amount of teams need catchers. Yeah, I think he could be a sneaky player that the Mets move at the deadline. Where we go when we see the package in return and say, WHOA, that's a lot. But then we think to ourselves, Yeah, deservedly so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say they'd have to be absolutely wowed on that one. And he's one where I'm like, I wonder if they just forgot to mention him, because I just I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me to it didn't.
Speaker 3: Understand why they don't. Real quick, here's why I don't think they forgot him. Why they add Christian Scotty. And I love Christian scott I'm not saying that they shouldn't have. I'm glad that they did. I'm glad he's going to be a part of the Mets feature for a long time. But they picked their players on they did like this wasn't I don't really like if they said Nolan McClain, Juan Soto and Lindor and then benj and Ewing, I'd be like, yeah, I don't think they did. They didn't add specific players.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And it might be just the injury history and whatever where it's just like, hey, come overwhelm us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we really don't want to move them.
Speaker 2: But like, gum, knock our socks off, and that I guess I can understand because I think the thumb injuries have affected Alvarez is receiving because we've seen him, as you mentioned, receiveing an elite clip. But yeah, I think that's one where you'd have to just get absolutely overwhelmed with an offer. But I think the Mets are to be really savvy and just try to I mean, whatever flyer prospect you're gonna get for Viento, it's like everything, cash in every little piece that you can and see where you go. But yeah, I'm excited to see us Sterns navigates this deadline.
Speaker 3: Pry Polanco is another one, but I know he's kind of injured, but.
Speaker 1: I'm just walking about. I mean, the Viano's is hurt too, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's interesting they have a ton of guys that could potentially be on the move. I think the Mets might be the number one team to watch this deadline. But now it's time for one burning question for every team in the American League. Just want a special shout out to our YouTube live comment section. The best way to support the show is to make sure that you smash the like button and subscribe button. And for all those listening here on audio, best way to support the show is by leaving a five star review. All right, We're gonna start in the American League West, so we're gonna work wet west to east, just like we did yesterday. The American League West, of course, features the Texas Rangers, the Seattle Mariners, the Houston Astros, the Sacramento A's, and the La Angels. So we're going to start at the top of the division. And my burning question is about the division for the Texas Rangers. Can they win the division? And I think it's a question that to me is the most burning in my eyes because I guess I could ask, well, will Corey Seger come back and perform? Of course, he's injured, and at the end of the day, I just I don't know. I don't know what he gives the Texas Rangers this season, so I'm kind of just assuming he's going to be back in September. He might give a little bit of a jolt. But can they maintain this lead for the foreseeable future? Because like I said at the very beginning, when I gave out Rangers plus two fifty five, I said, ninety percent of the public is on this Mariner's team. Cal Rawley's got a five eighty two ops like the Mariners have problems. This is not a perfect team. The Astros are a few games below five hundred are not perfect, But to me, they look like the best team in the division. And then I go to Fangraphs and I look at some projections. The bat X, which is my favorite projection system on Fangraphs, has the Rangers at fifty seven percent chance to win the division atc Another one of my favorite Fangraphs projections has the Rangers not quite at fifty seven, but above the Mariners. So some of the best Fangrafts projection systems are starting to put the Rangers truly in front of the Mariners. And for any of my betters out there who missed the plus two to fifty five price based on those there is a lot of value currently on BETMGM at plus one seventy five for the Rangers. So the books haven't quite adjusted yet because they have to balance all of the money that they have gotten for people betting on the Seattle Mariners to win the division. I know, I just gave the betting version, but the baseball version is this Whyatt Langford is back, Ezekiel Durant has stepped up, Brandon Nemo has been a great edition. They have six bats in their current lineup with a WRC plus above one hundred in their current rotation. You still got to Gram, You still got to Eovaldi. You have Gore, who hasn't taken the next step like I thought, but is still a fine number three, and Kumar rock Her flashes great thist at times, and Cal Quantrill's the greatest pitcher alive. Plus they're also our closer Jake Latz, and then they have that slew of guys who not sexy names, but they do a job. My burning question to you are can the Rangers win the division?
Speaker 1: Uh uh?
Speaker 2: My burning question is in regards to what can help them win the division, which is what version.
Speaker 1: Of mackenzie going to the Rangers get good?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 2: This is where I'm at, Like, I think the offense you mentioned it's getting better, it's healthy. The other direction I was going to go is like can White Langford stay healthy? But like I do we talk about that so often? Yeah, Gore is I think, because he's been on the mound, is the most like pivotal with aspects here. It's like, if Langford's healthy, he's gonna perform, He's gonna be good. He's gonna be a huge cool guy for this line up. But I look at this rotation, de Gram great, You'valdy really settling in and looking good.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned like some of.
Speaker 2: The other pieces, and you know, I think they're they're they've been really solid, solidly reliable.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think regular season arms, especially like what they've been able to get out of cal Quantrill actually has been quite incredible. And I think, yeah, Kumar, like with with the slider and the way that he's been able to ride that pitch to to enough success this year is great, but like he's limited.
Speaker 1: I think I think cal Quantrill's limited.
Speaker 2: Jack Rider's hurt right now, and when he comes back, we'll see, but you know that there's just been challenges for him to just.
Speaker 1: Stack successful starts.
Speaker 2: Gore is the guy to be your clear cut three here, Like he's the guy and he has a four to six three eel right. And here's the fascinating part for me is in his career, his story, Gore has been terrible in the second half terrible, and this year he's been like the surface level era looks worse than I think the underlying is. And I think he's been better than the numbers suggest, which I just wonder like, does he then turn that into better run prevention numbers on the surface, or do we see him give way a little bit in the second half and those numbers become even rougher. I don't know, but I do know if this Rangers team is going to reach their potential, like, they're gonna need a quality start out of Mackenzie Gore a lot more frequently than they're getting it right now. And then the other one is obviously Corey Seeger and I've talked about that like ad nauseum with this team right Like, this team I think really will only go as far offensively as is Seeger can take them. But the best way to hedge that is keep throwing the crap out of the baseball and Mackenzie Gore raises the ceiling of this rotation significantly.
Speaker 3: I also think that the Rangers are going to be sneaky buyers, just like they always are. Yeah, And I think when we put out trade deadline predictions or anybody does not just we, I think a lot of people just inherently forget about the Rangers. I'm not sure why they're just not floated like for example, you're hearing more about Seattle buying than you are the Rangers, and the Rangers were the team to make the shocking move for McKenzie gore. Right, They've made a lot of moves where it's like, oh, where did the Rangers come from? It's like, have you been watching the Rangers. Chris Young has been one of the most aggressive gms in baseball. They they are absolutely a team who is going to be one of the most aggressive buyers at this deadline, I believe so. So you combine that with their current team and Seeger coming back eventually and hoping that McKenzie gore has a bounce back second half, it's hard not to understand why a projection system like the bad X or ATC or my own personal model would didn't make the Rangers the current favorites to win the American League West. So again i'll throw it back to you. I know we've talked about it, but it has been like a month since we made it a prediction, and last month, I think when we talked about it, you said, I'm still going with the Mariners, but I don't feel good about it. Are you still at that point or are you starting to migrate over to my Rangers.
Speaker 1: Gosh, these teams, these both these teams, dude.
Speaker 3: Dude, what are you talking about? Rangers are two games over five hundred. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: These teams, dude, It's just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I get.
Speaker 2: Any time you start to think one is going to separate themselves from the other, they just crater again. I would say, right now, though, I feel better about the Rangers situation with Langford back and the Segar wrinkle is going to be important, But like, I have more confidence I think in Cory Seger, who's had a rough year even when he's been on the field coming back and hitting. Then I think I do cal Rowley figuring it out at this point. So from that lens, and then you can mention like the Mariner's pitching, but those guys have been throwing the ball all year, like it's still been a battle of all battles. It's just it's hard for me and then and Julio the concussion stuff. I feel like more and more players hitting at baseball so freaking hard now that if you have a concussion, you have like if your reaction time or just your your vision is compromised by like three percent your toast like it.
Speaker 1: I feel like all these guys are having such residual effects.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not going to be expecting Julio to just come back and swing it right away.
Speaker 1: I think there's gonna be a little bit of a process there.
Speaker 2: So I lean Rangers right now, but like I'm gonna flip flop on this probably every single week because these two teams are just there is frustrating as to come.
Speaker 3: I don't want to spend too much more time on the Rangers. I want to go over to the Mariners. I just think it's very important to note before we move on that I don't think that the Rangers offense is predicated on Corey Seeger's success, because we already talked about Langford and his eight ninet ops. But he's got another twenty eight year old teammate with an eight nineteen ops and his name is Josh Young, who has put together a fantastic year, rocking a two point seven four. Jock Peterson, remember last year when he was the worst header alive. He ain't anymore. He's been twenty two percent above league average. He's been a staple in this lineup. Brandon Imo has been great, Jake Berger is even three percent above average, and Ezekiel Duran was a two and a half win player in the first half with a one to twelve WRC plus. Right those are their six right now that have a WRC plus above one hundred. Then you add Corey Seeger to that lineup, of course it'll help. But I think that this team can weather the storm offensively until he comes back and ended up winning this division. So that's my take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the division, I think so. I think if they're going to do anything in the playoffs, say they need they need an anchor in there, they need, they need a little bit more going. I just it's it's a slightly above average offense and the pitching staff that's average, slightly above and that's slightly above average team.
Speaker 3: You really love a lot of the teams of the American League now better usters than the Ragers. I'll up say this. I'm sitting out of fourteen to one ticket for them to within the Petite too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not bad.
Speaker 3: Let's go over to the Mariners. Uh, arm, my guess is you have the same one. Is this a lost season for cal Ralely because there's a couple there's a couple other you know, burning questions that I have for some players where I'm thinking, do we see a second half search? ARM. I don't think we see a second half search from cal Rawley. He's hitting a BUCKS sixty nine. He's got a five eighty one OPS to give him a sixty seven OPS plus. I mean, this has just been a full blown disaster at the plate. His quality of contact has dropped off the face of the planet. Thirty two percent hard hit rate this year, Arm. He was at forty nine percent last year. Strikeout rates jump to eight percent. He's chasing, he's whiffing. The baseball savant looks ugly. He's not framing well. He's got one of the slowest pop times in baseball. He's got nine home runs. And this comes to us from inside edge. Cal Rawly has chased thirty seven percent of pitches out of the zone on the first pitch of at bats this season. That is the highest Immediate League Baseball among hitters with at least one hundred and forty one total plate appearances. I can't think of a drop off like this homers.
Speaker 2: To I just think he I think he's hurt. I know that he was hurt. It's I think it's still affecting him. I really do. There's no other explanation. Everybody we've talked about, like you knew he wasn't gonna match last year, it was probably unlikely, but that stat too, where he's chasing on the first.
Speaker 1: Pitch more than anybody, or as much as anybody.
Speaker 2: It feels like to me, he looks like a guy who just feels like he's slow, Like he's slower this year, and he's cheating, and he's like, I'm not getting the barrel out as quickly as I normally do. I got I gotta decide a little bit earlier. I got to get it out there. I gotta get it out there. And it's leading to bad decisions because you're seeing the quality of contact effect affected.
Speaker 1: And I think with.
Speaker 2: That oblique and trying to play through it a little bit and come back quick from it and all those different things, I just think it's it's affecting him.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 2: There's just no way you drop off like this after what we saw from him last year, and even if the whift jumped and the chase jumped, the QOC should be there right, and it's not so I think it's injury related. The one hope you have here is that just the further removed he gets from that, maybe the All Star break helps a little bit too. He's able to just kind of get back to himself physically and start to trust himself again, because the swing decisions, to me, imply a guy that just doesn't feel like he's moving as quickly and getting the barrel out as quickly as he normally does.
Speaker 1: And it's it's now compounding the issue.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. And I also think that that point that you made about cal Rawly potentially being injured and not wanting to come out of the game is an important one because when you hear Lyle and TJ are friends at the Marine Layer Pod talk about cal Rawly, and you know, they talk about his leadership qualities and how he's always there every day in the locker room. And this guy, even when he's hurt, he does not want to take off days ever, Like even if he's banged up, he's like, I'm catching behind the plate. He caught one hundred and twenty games last year he bag. I think he played literally every game outside of what one or two. I think he played one hundred and fifty nine games last year and one hundred and twenty of those were behind the dish, and then again this year. I know he's been banged up with injuries, but he still played fifty of his sixty six games behind the plate. This guy wants to catch every day. He knows how important it is to the Mariners arms. And I think that if he took lie detector test and told you that he was healthy, I think he would fail. And I think that's a big reason why he's having a season like this, which is a complete falloff. Yeah, I agree, So I guess maybe it was a bad burning question just I feel like, but it sold portion for the Mariners.
Speaker 2: He's everything, especially with Julio too. I mean, like Julio's heard as well. It's just can your MVP runner up that would have won MVPs in most other seasons play like a player that's not a detriment to the team like that. To go from MVP to detriment is one of the biggest Like, there's nothing a GM can do to account for that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, let's go over the Houston Astros and mine's going to be quick. So I'll just go first. Can youord On Alvarez win the triple crown? The first since Miguel Cabrera Since twenty twelve, he's hitting three eighteen. He's four points off the batting average leader boards, behind Yanni Dias of the Ampa Bay Rays. He's got thirty one homers, which leads the American League, and he's got seventy RBIs, which leads the American League. I don't know if he's going to do it. If there was a hitter to do it in Major League Baseball, his name would be Aaron Judge, but he's injured. It could be Shoheo Tawny, or it could be Jordon Aparez, right, and he's got a real shot at doing so. Right, if he doesn't do it this year, at twenty nine years old, in this week of an American League, with Aaron Judge injured, we might not see a triple crown for a very long time. So this is the opportunity I want to see if Jordon does it.
Speaker 2: And he's I mean the exact archetype of hitter to be able to do it with just the bats ball and power that he has, and would be really fun thing to watch. And also, I mean, if he's doing that, the Astros are probably continuing to be in the hunt.
Speaker 1: That's the fun part with him.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best two strike hitters we've seen in this year. I mean, this is stupid, stupid stuff. This year in two hundred and eight played appearances with two strikes, sitting two eighty five with a eight ninety four ops fourteen homers, it's a two forty nine ops plus. It's one hundred and fifty percent better than league average with two strikes. That's just outrageous, absolutely outrageous.
Speaker 1: I don't think we'll really ever see somebody.
Speaker 3: Peyton put that up there. And Peyton, I don't know if he's ever gotten a stat wrong. I don't believe that. But forty nine ops plus with two strikes, it's like it's one of those numbers that does I it's so crazy that I can't believe it's true.
Speaker 2: You like, literally, with two strikes, he's still way better than the average hitter in an count. He's better than a lot of hitters in advantage counts with two twos.
Speaker 3: He almost want to get him to two strikes.
Speaker 2: It's great, well, you know, otherwise he's got in one thousand and fifty nine ops.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's still he's still worse than he normally, is it? It's special stuff. My big question with them is what is this pitching staff? Because it's not necessarily terrible like I thought it was a couple months ago.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It may by production standards be terrible the rest of the way, but I can look at this pitching staff now and say I could see some things going right here.
Speaker 3: Brown just needs to starter, like entire pitching staff.
Speaker 1: Ohtarters, Like what is this rotation? Because Hunter Brown is gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: He's made seven starts this year, He's coming back from a long layoff arm injury wise, I think he's gonna be and still even with himself not looking great, like he's still got a three five seventy R, like he's found a way to prevent runs. Christian Aavier just came back off the aisle from TJ and just trying to find the zone. But like he's Christian Xavier. So if he sucks the rest of the way, I get it. But if Christian Avier snaps in and he looks like a number four starter, even wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: Peter Abbert's been right all year.
Speaker 2: That guy, I trust him now, is just a solid inning zeting type of guy. Arraghetty has been at points really solid, at points really frustrating. If he's somewhere in the middle there again take it and then that too, you Ami has either been completely unusable or dominant. And that's another big one where it's just like, what do you get could he get anything.
Speaker 1: Usable from him? That helps?
Speaker 2: I just think we're not running out like and then Mike Burrows is doing with a little bit of injury. Maybe he comes back and throws a little bit better. They're gonna get Kaiwait Tang back. He can eat some innings. I just feel like with this rotation, it's not one of those where you just look at and say, oh, well, none of these guys have any shot to be decent. Like you look now and you say, well, when Araghetti's hot, he looks good. We've seen Javier be good when am I is remotely throwing that wrong.
Speaker 1: With slider for a strike. He's been good.
Speaker 2: When Hunter Brown has been healthy, he's been one of the best pitchers of Major League Baseball. So if a couple of things go right with this really wide, high variance group. With the way the Astros have been trending, with the return of Josh Hater and the bullpen, and the bullpen overall is just great.
Speaker 1: Like, I just need these guys to be five and dive and I think they can survive.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm fascinated, because I think this team's gonna weirdly still just hit en off, especially with jord On.
Speaker 1: I just I don't really know what to make of it.
Speaker 2: But with this rotation, if they're able to just be half decent, I think the Astros can you find themselves in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: The Astro's rotation is emblematic of the entire American League. And here's what I mean by that. They are wildly inconsistent. They give you performances where you think, to yourself, are you a big league arm But you're still holding out hope because there's some big names, right Like you said it yourself. A tatsu Imai. We've seen what he looks like when he's dominant. We've seen another hitter, vladimirg Row, Junior Gunner Henderson. Look no, we know what they look like when they're dominant. But they have been wildly inconsistent right, and the same can be said about Spencer Arraghetty, the same can be said about Christian Javier Right. Continue to go down the list. It's guys with talent that just haven't been able to put it together this season, And with the Nashros team in the American League where it is still wide open, it's not a bad rotation to have when you're currently in a hole and you need some upside and the Ashro's rotation can deliver it. My thinking is it's not going to be enough to dig them out of said hole, because I'm sure they'll all have their points where they show that dominant talent that they have, but they will, unfortunately also have outings where the Ashros offense cannot overcome the seven runs after four innings that all five of them including Brown currently.
Speaker 1: Can do so.
Speaker 3: But if we're just talking about plain upside, I don't want back of that rotation. I just still think the Ashros are going to be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs, even if they buy. I do think that there is just too much inconsistency in this rotation.
Speaker 2: Well, one other fun variable is Ronel Blanco on his way back too, and like, go hit her. I mean, dude, Ronel Blanco would be one of the most welcome stabilizers for this team, I think, which is crazy to say, but like he's only thrown two hundred and seventy four innings at the big league level, but to a three four five R and like, that's a guy though that Like, I don't think there's that much variance with I know, you do the no hitter Blake, He's gonna go out there and give you a chance. I think he's gonna be kind of Peter Lambert coated, and like, I think the Astros would kill for another one of those, so that that helps a lot too. I just think those aspects of the rotation are fascinating to me. And I think we was Nesky could potentially come back at some point this year, and then whatever they get from Burrows, who was phenomenal in the second half last year too and just has been hurt and frustrating this year. So so much variance in this rotation that I just want to see what it looks like.
Speaker 3: It is certainly going to be fun to watch that, there is no doubt about it. Let's go over to the a's and I've gone first the first three times, so you get a run of going first a's.
Speaker 2: What you got with the a's is just can Lawrence Butler find it? You know, I think this is the season's kind of over for them, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, you have.
Speaker 2: Most of the guys that are banged up are probably not going to come back, and if they do, like it's you know, there's not gonna be that much time for you to gauge too much, you know about what it's going to look like. Like Denzel Clark, if he comes back and struggles, it's kind of a last year for him. Unfortunately, this year Kurtz is Nick Kurtz, and once he's back, you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Rookers out for season.
Speaker 2: Lawrence Butler, you paid Lawrence Butler has shown us stretches where he has been fantastic and and this year he's been one of the worst players in Major League Baseball. They've had to throw him out there in center field because of the injury to Clark and some other guys, So that you know, that's definitely torpedo the the f wur a little bit. But at the same time, I mean, it's a five ninety one, Oh asked from a guy that has all the talent in the world.
Speaker 1: I mean they extended him for a reason.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four, it was a one thirty WRC plus and even like last year where there was some ebbs and flows, he hit twenty one homers, stole twenty two bags, and yeah, finished slightly below average by WRC plus. But I still think you looked at Larrence Butler and said, age twenty four season like this is this is a pretty good player, and this guy that can continue to develop. So for his age twenty five season, just turned twenty six a week ago to be hitting the wall that he has, Like, you go in the next year now, and you just don't really know what you have.
Speaker 1: If Lawrence Butler doesn't get better. If Lawrence Butler.
Speaker 2: Improves and you know, finishes the year on a higher note, you go in the next season and say, all right, well that's our corner outfielder, and you know everything's gonna be all right, and you know, we'll assume he's going to continue to build on on the second half that he had. But I think that's the big question and a couple of just interesting Lawrence Butler stats, he's slugging one seventy six with the pitcher behind in the count. So when Lawrence Butler is ahead and counts, he's slugging one seventy six. That's the lowest among MLB players with at least one hundred and forty one plate appearances. So he's not even leveraging his advantage counts. He's slugging seventy seven on high ninety five plus mile prior pitches. So you got the scouting report on him, just elevated fastball and he's toast.
Speaker 1: That's the second lowest in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: So he's not leveraging his advantage counts because Pittrick knowes, oh, I'm behind, I'll just throw an elevated heater and good luck Lawrence. So's it's a timing thing, it's a mechanic thing. He's going to need to figure it out, and hopefully he does in the second half because that makes it a lot easier for the Athletics to go into next year and know what they have.
Speaker 3: The only point that I wanted to add, well, just a few small ones. You mentioned tank to f war among players with at least two hundred and fifty plate appearances this season, he's second to last, behind Salvador Prez and just in front of Mark Fiento. So truly, he has been one of the least valuable players in Major League Baseball. And you said that last year in totality, the year wasn't that bad, and I agree with you. Like a ninety six WRC plus, like an ops in the seven ten, seven to twenty range, with a two win season, it's not bad. It's not great, it's like fine, right, But it's not a season that you're just giving up on a guy, of course not. But the thing is in the second half of last year, and I don't know this off the top of my head, but I remember watching him get beat a lot. Like I'm curious if the high fastball thing became more prevalent in the second half of twenty twenty five, where he posted a seventy WRC plus. Yeah, and then this year it's a very similar WRC plus and he's getting fed these high heaters. This might just be an area of the zone where he is simply overmatched. Could he come back next year and fix the problem maybe theoretically hopefully, But at the same time, I'm sure, he noticed this was an issue in the second half, and he should have fixed this going into this year, and it's been the same or arguably worse. That's what makes me nervous for Lawrence Butler long term, which is why my one burning question was truly, is he a part of the core? Is this just a sunk cost? Like is he worth it to trot out there every single day moving forward? Because this has been abysmal and he has a clear hole and it's not just this season, it's carried over from last season where he was also one of the worst hitters in baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's where like maybe it wasn't pressing enough for him to fully make feel like he needed to make a major overhaul change at the end of last year. I think this offseason, you know this is it's quite pressing, and if it doesn't get any better the rest of the year too, like I think clearly there's there's some need there and then you're gonna go in the next year with probably a shorterlyation if he continues to have the same issues for an athletics team that's gonna want to be competitive and was hoping to even be competitive this year, I think he'd start to see the rapt start to dwindle a little bit.
Speaker 3: Let's end one burning question in the Ale West with the La Angels, and with the Angels again pretty much a lost season at this point. Uh, they brought in a new GM, John mose Lac. I'm very excited to see what he does during the trade deadline because I know with Perry Manassian, the report was out that the Angels don't want to trade from any of their three studs at the top of the rotation, whether that be Walbert Orina, whether that be Jose Soriano, whether that be Re det Mers. So that's just one burning question again. But my big one is it's more of a fascination. I'm curious what does Grace and Rodriguez look like for the end of the season, because Grace Rodriguez so far this season hasn't come back fully healthy, hasn't looked like himself. He's pitching to an array above seven. They traded Taylor Ward it was only one year, so you kind of understand what the Orioles thought about him where they just didn't think he was gonna stay healthy. And when he is staying healthy, it's not gonna be anything worth much, right, But the Angels took an opportunity and so far the Orioles have been quote unquote proven right. But the thing is, you still have years of control for Grayson for him to turn it around. So my one burning question simply would be does that turnaround happen in the second half, because I would love to see it because I'm rooting for the guy. Like when he's on, he's he could be dominant. I mean, he could be a frontline starter. We just haven't seen it in a while. But I'm curious. Crazier things have happened than Grayson Rodriguez turning it around the second half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's huge for them.
Speaker 2: I mean, you imagine going into next year, forget like not pitching prospect in baseball, Grayson. If Grayson Rodriguez looks like a guy that can throw to a high threes below fours, and you saw that guy to your four spot for your rotation.
Speaker 1: Next year, that's exciting.
Speaker 2: You got Soriano to debt Mercy Urania to just a respectable four, and then you just figure out the five and maybe you just go sign a back end guy. Maybe Kikuchi's healthy and you know you can go with him. That's where I think it's really interesting. So I'm fascinated by that side of thing. And that's a fun part about this rotation is like Kakuchi has been hurt pretty much the whole year. He's just starting to work his way back. You could start to talk yourself into this rotation a little bit. I mean, Kikuchi the previous two seasons was a four era in one hundred and seventy five innings with with pretty good strikeout to walk numbers. Like if that's your four and then Grayson's your five, you're in a pretty good spot. So I think that's a huge area. And for me it's you know, what is what is a selling angels? And I know even if they're not selling those guys, they're gonna sell some pieces presumably.
Speaker 1: What does that look like with John mose Lock now?
Speaker 2: And you know, I think perrym andasi AND's hands were tied to a degree, and maybe mose will be tied by what is one of the more you know, I would say overbearing and just just misguided owners and in sports and.
Speaker 3: Them that's the nicest way you could describe him, correct.
Speaker 2: And I think I'm just curious, like if Artie says, all right, well a new guy here, like, let's this guy's very experience, let me see what he can do, and like just even for some of the relief pieces, like what kind of prospects do you bring in? What does it look like? I'm just interested to see Mosaylock operate a little bit.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go over to the American League Central of a podcast Pee, let's hear from our friends at Hampton Farms Peanuts one burning question for every team in the American League. We move to the American League Central, which features the White Sox, the Guardians, the Twins, the Tigers, and the Royals will start up top even though both teams are tied. I think technically the White Sox have the better winning percentage, so we'll go that. And actually I've been going first a lot. You go first arm White Sox burning question?
Speaker 2: Can Mari Kai? Can Morikami keep it up? Is my question because this this team's identity this year in particular, is that they're gonna need to bang, like if they're gonna make the playoffs, they're gonna win the division, if they're gonna make any noise and have a strong finish. They're gonna need to bang with the best of them like they've done for a lot of this year. And I think there's a lot of reason to believe Miguel Vargus is going to continue to be Miguel Vargus. Costa Montgomery's now showed us for a pretty large sample that he's gonna be a power with guy.
Speaker 1: But the power is gonna prevail.
Speaker 2: And then Tristan Peters and you know, some of these complimentary pieces have been great. Of course, Sam Antonaci is gonna be a one thirty w RC plus I don't know, but he's gonna be above average big league bat like that.
Speaker 1: Was the whole story with him. It's just how high the floor is.
Speaker 2: But for this team to make the noise that they're gonna make, like they're not gonna aggressively buy, I just don't think that's that's realistic here. So the odds of them getting a rotation piece that's going to change things or is relatively slim. I think their staff you just kind of see if they hold serve and and the relievers.
Speaker 1: Continue to do what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I think they got a bang and Murakami before he was hurt, was giving them some of the best power production in the league. It's a nine to eleven ops, it's a thirty four percent strikeout rate.
Speaker 1: It's contact rates.
Speaker 2: That are right kind of below what typically is needed to have a consistently good season.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, if you're at a there's not a lot of hitters that have had a sub sixty percent contact, right, Mourakami's at fifty nine point five and have been productive for the entirety of a season.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to do that.
Speaker 2: So that's where I look off the injury, just into a second half where the scouting reports are a little bit more detailed, the games become a little bit more important, things are a little bit tighter. Can Morikami continue to produce with a fifty nine and a half percent contact or can he improve that contact.
Speaker 3: Right one hundred percent? My one burning question for them is more about the deadline. I'm curious what they're going to do. This came from Ken Rosenthal this morning on Foul Territory. The White Sox are willing to be relatively aggressive and I quote on players with control of the deadline, but are not inclined to overpay for rentals, which actually I think is the exact direction that they want to go, right, You're not trying to send over big time prospects in order to get rentals that are not going to be a part of your future. So who are these pictures I'm assuming that they want to bring in with control And how far are they willing to go with their prospects, because if they know they're getting a picture, what let's say, with two and a half years of control with it, which is certainly now in this new White Sox contention window, are they willing to give up a Caleb Bonnemer who currently doesn't really have a spot, Considering Miguel Vargas was an All Star and has truly been one of the best hitters in baseball this year at third base, it's just twenty six years old, and they have Colson Montgomery at shortstop twenty four years old, could be the first lefty to hit forty home runs by shortstop, a left tended hitting shortstop. Ever, and you can't really move Vargas over to first base because again, like you said, you have Murakami at first. So could Caleb Bonnerber be available? Considering they also just drafted rock Chlowski, like, could they dangle him in a big time pitcher with control, which could end up being the move of the deadline. So I'm really intrigued with what the White Socks are gonna do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think they hold sir, but yeah, if you get the opportunity to get a controllable arm and it helps you now, but most importantly in the next two years, who knows, who knows what they could ultimately do, but I think it'll be kind of a fascinating deadline regardless. For like, I think the White Sox and the Marlins are in very similar situations where they're gonna if they're gonna buy, they're gonna be creative, and I'm curious to see how they do that.
Speaker 3: Definitely, let's go over to the Cleveland Guardians again. You go first, what's your burning question?
Speaker 2: It's just the most obvious one for me, it's just what version of Jose Ramirez do they get upon return? You know, he comes back from that broken handmate, he wasn't having a very good year before that, and talking to some of just my friends and pro ball that have broken their handmate, Not everybody has to go this way, but some kind of felt it coming for a while, like you kind of knew that it was going to go, and then it went some It just goes, but you kind of feel it wearing and getting sore, and then.
Speaker 1: It finally goes.
Speaker 2: And so I wonder if that was the case with Jay ram because a lot of the batted ball specs like he was still really solid overall, right, like he's not whipping, he's not chasing, he's still hitting the ball hard enough.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't his typical production, right.
Speaker 2: It was a one to ten WRC plus the first seventy two games ten homers. At reminder, he hit thirty nine homers in twenty twenty four and he hit thirty homers in twenty twenty five. He was on pace for you know, twenty change this year, striking out a couple percentage points more.
Speaker 1: It's split in hairs.
Speaker 2: But coming back from the himmate as a switch hitter, just how does it affect him is the biggest question for me, because if they have twenty twenty five Jose Ramirez, I mean, I really think this team is a problem. I've made my pitch on them that I think this is one of the better Guardians teams we've seen, you know, in the last half decade, and I think he makes a big difference, obviously being the guy that sets the tone for them, but he's had to set the tone for this team with much less around him.
Speaker 1: So if they have a good Jay ram look out.
Speaker 3: So my burning question actually relates to that, and the burning question is who is going to supply the power in the second half. This Guardian's team ranks twenty ninth in home runs and the leader in the clubouts of home runs is on Hell Martinez with eleven. On Hell Martinez hasn't played a full season. Chase the latter is tied with with him at eleven, but again hasn't played the full season either, right, and also has gone through some pits and valleys and hills. I don't even remember what I'm saying, but you know what I mean. Like, it's been an up and down season for Chase the lotter. So I think to myself, Jose Ramirez is recovering from a handmaid injury. What's the most common side effect of handmaid injuries? Zap's your power a little bit. I still believe that Jose Ramirez in terms of his bat to ball abilities. Is still gonna end up putting up a good season. It's just those thirty nine home runs are not going to be there. So I look around the diamond and I say, well, Kyle Manzardo, he should be hitting more home runs, but he ain't. Chase the latter should be hitting more home runs, but he ain't. Brian Rochio has been a really solid hitter this year, but you're not banking on him for power, right. Josh Naylor has been gone. Stephen Kwan is providing nothing offensively. I expect him to be better, but it's certainly not going to be because he's putting balls.
Speaker 1: In seats, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: And I think, well, are the Guardians going to be aggressive at the deadline to go get a power bat? I don't think so. I just don't think it's in their DNA. Someone is going to have to step up in this lineup. Maybe it's Bizana, but it's not like his balltleball metrics look that good either. For the Guardians too, I think reach the peak that you're talking about, they got to hit with some juice. Yeah, And I just don't know who's going to provide the juice. If Jose Ramirez, his power is zapped from the handmate bone. And even if he is supplying the power, they still need more than just him hitting homers.
Speaker 2: Manzardo's got to do it too, man, I mean, Manzarto's got to be better than he's been. And I know this isn't homers, but if you're not gonna hit homers like Stephen Kwan's gotta be one of the better bats to ball guys and hitting for average so that you can manufacturer runs that way, right, So I agree, I mean, naturally you're gonna get the power back with Martinez hopefully coming back.
Speaker 1: Is he done?
Speaker 2: He's not done for the other they ten ai oled him, so hopefully he'll be back at some point.
Speaker 1: But it's gonna be interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Like this team has the pieces I think to make it happen, but yeah, they're gonna need a good Jay Rim. They're gonna need a couple of guys to pick it up. How Wise, I think the water is starting to after the rougher stretch. And yeah, I mean just simply, especially in the playoffs, gonna need to slug better than this.
Speaker 1: Have to.
Speaker 3: Let's go over to the Minnesota Twins, who're slugging a ton. But my biggest question for the Minnesota Twins is can this bullpen step up in any meaningful way? Because the Minnesota Twins brank ninth and ops this season. Ladies and gentlemen, damn right, my Minnesota Twins top ten offense. They're starting rotation thirteenth of the Alright, you got Joe Ryan, you got Taj Bradley taking the next step. Zebbie Matthews has even looked okay, Bailey ober is back. It's a decent rotation. But the bullpen twenty ninth in el. I mean, they're sitting in National's territory where even if they have a lead, good luck, they could blow it at any given time. Andrew Gomez has stepped in and done an okay job as the closer. But I don't trust anybody in their bullpen. But they still have some names that you kind of remember, right like Taylor Rodgers. Yeah, there's some names there can and they've tried, like they jumped started the market a little bit to go get like Tommy Nance, and I think that's a fine, fine addition there.
Speaker 2: Like they even try to get creative and like purchase wusak go from from the from the Tigers, who was just like throwing starting to throw the ball well on trip away, like they're trying.
Speaker 3: To step up because the Twins are sitting at five hundred, I mean, and sitting at five hundred in the American League is basically ten games above five hundred. So I'm not like if they don't sell, if they win a couple of games here and all of a sudden they're two games back of the division, why would they sell?
Speaker 2: No, And it's just trending more and more towards them not And I think that Tommy Nant's move, even though it's not anything crazy, I think implies that they're trying to bolster a little bit here and for the next two weeks especially to then see, you know what they're gonna do. My question is a short term, long term thing here. But I think also what help them this year is is it finally Walker Jenkins time? Yep, Jenkins was hurt, came back, he's been producing again. Saw him at the Futures game. My gosh, that guy looks like he's thirty five years old. By the way, and I don't even mean that in a negative way. He just he looks way, way, way ahead of his years. But I also look at this team that I know Byron Buckston's on the shelf right now. But when he comes back, maybe you saw at Keishaw to a corner. You figure it out. But I also think he could also start to play in the infield again, and you.
Speaker 1: Figure some things out.
Speaker 2: Regardless, You've got Alan Roaden, who I still think can be an okay player, but you got Allen Roaden playing corner outfield right now. Walker Jenkins is one of the best prospects in Major League Baseball. Not only does he give you a blend of hit and power that has really developed, he gives you a good approach. He can play all three outfield spots, so that's able to give bucks In some days off in center. And he's just a very well rounded complete player. The only drawback of Walker Jenkins now that he has added the raw power, has been injuries. So there's nothing you can really do about that other than get him up to the big leagues and have him working with a big league training staff and have him surrounded by big leaguers and big league resources. And I'll get this team if you want an addition from within.
Speaker 1: Walker Jenkins is a guy that can make a huge difference for you. Love it.
Speaker 3: Let's go over to the Detroit Tigers, and I think this is a good opportunity to talk about the latest headline from Ken Rosenthal where he said the Tigers are unlikely to trade Derek Scooble at this point. Yeah, it was also reported by Bob Nightingale that Schooble badly wants to stay in Detroit. And I want to quote Ken Rosenthal directly because really what he said is there's a far less chance of Schooble getting traded than there was on June first, And I think that was his main point that over this last month and a half, where the Tigers have arguably been the best team in the American League. Right, we're not saying much, but they've been well above average in terms of their record, and they've clawed back into this race and you're still looking at a Tigers team that can compete. It's still a good lineup, it's a fine bullpen, and he got scooball and from Berre at the top, with Troy Melton really taking a step forward, with Casey Miz putting together an excellent season. I know he's been injured on and off, but when he's been on the mound, he's been awesome. And even Kaida Montero is filled in as an excellent number five starter. I mean, this Tiger's team. I'm I could hear anything if you told me that the Tigers will claw back and they could win the freaking Pennant. I'm not really gonna give you much pushback. Nobody in the al I like, really yeah, So again, it's so wide open. I totally understand why the Tigers wouldn't trade Trek Scoobel. However, it's extremely risky, yeah, because you could get back the biggest package for a rental. Ever, in a market where they're not there's not a lot of sellers. We saw what happened with the Angels and Otani and look at where they are now. It's happened to other teams in the past two so the Tigers are making a big risk. However, in this current context, I understand why they're making said risk. So again, my one and burning question is what did the Tigers do with the deadline? Smiley, I think this is a great opportunity to talk about that schoobl report, and I'll throw it over to you, what do you think they should do?
Speaker 2: I mean, the more we we just kind of sit and look at the entire situation. They got a lot of additions coming from within too, Like Labor Torres was playing really well before he got hurt and strained his oblique and I think he's already working his way back on a rehab assignment. So you add him back, that's going to be a much needed right handed bat added to the fold there to help this offense. You then look at the pitching side of things. You're gonna get Jackson Joe back at some point this You're how they decided to use him and everything. I'm not sure, but he's thrown rehab outings. You could use him in a relief role. Again, it's not something he's unfamiliar with with this bullpen. That could probably use that down the stretch, just having him in the fold. And then of course, like when you look at the combination of mis when he's been healthy, Melton returning and being great fromber and then headlined by scoobl that rotation's money. Your five is flarity, which at that point to get through the regular season, You're fine, He's just not gonna go to many important postseason innings.
Speaker 3: I wasn't looking at any names. These are just off the top of my head. Totally forgot about Flarity. I said, well, I think is better, but I did forget about it.
Speaker 2: Well, and they've got Kyder in this like long man role. He's throwing more innings than Flarherty. If Flerity sucks, put.
Speaker 1: Kyder in the fives. But I think Kyder's better in that role.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they do, which they've got options, so all of a sudden you've got this depth pitching wise, Kiter is like you're a long man. They just need some some leverage relief arms. But the fact that they're getting some offensive reinforcements too is what's interesting to me. Is like they really need exactly a glabor torus, and they're getting labor torres back, so that I don't think they do much.
Speaker 1: I think they hold.
Speaker 2: Serve and you'll see the classic like trade a couple crappy prospects for a couple of crappy relievers and say we bought, Like.
Speaker 1: I think that's what Harris will do.
Speaker 2: But I don't blame him for doing that, because this team is good enough if everything's going right to make some noise in a crappy American league, do.
Speaker 3: You think it's in their best interest long term not to trade school and go for it.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think at this point, if the team continues to show signs of life, yeah, because I think the one thing that may limit that the Schoople return is how expensive he's gonna be. Yes, he could be one of the most valuable rentals out He's also one of the most expensive rentals ever after you know, winning that arbitration case. So it shortens the list of teams willing to trade for him and also probably hampers the return some unless the Tigers wanted to eat money the other way. So then it's like if you're trading your ace and eating money when you're two games out of the wild Card, like, ah, it's just that's a tough that's a tough one to sell here.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing though, about the money, And I think this is important because he's the biggest rental potentially of all time, maybe outside of CC going to Milwaukee or something like that or SODO. The amount of tickets that these teams are going to sell and they're increased chances of not only making the playoffs, but doing well in the playoffs. I think they're gonna make their money back from this because again, like let's say, can you imagine Wrigley if they got Trek Scooble. Can you imagine a couple of other teams if they got Trek Scooble, maybe outside of the Dodgers, because.
Speaker 1: But they're gonna be like sold out anyway, So what's.
Speaker 3: The difference potentially, But I think there would be a certain there'd be a different energy if yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't hurt, doesn't hurt. I just think a lot of teams are are kind of like up against it. To take on ten million dollars for a couple of months is tough, especially if they're working with the CBT and whatever else it might be. So I just know in general, like for teams, it's gonna limit it some. But I agree with you, like he is a guy that's gonna change it a little bit to where yeah, like let's if we have a mid market team, did it? I think they'd have a few more butts and seats.
Speaker 3: For Tampa Bay Rays, did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's gonna be a few more butts in seats for terrass Google starts.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Like it, this could be a particular option where yes, it's expensive on the surface, but it pays back. That's all I wanted to bring up. Let's go over to the Kansas City Royals. Tough one, tough one to have one burning question. It's been a tough year, injuries to the rotation, injuries to MIKEL Garcia, Vinnie Pascantino is not stepped up. Salvily is the least valuable player, every day player major League Baseball. The bullpen has done basically nothing. They said at thirty eight and fifty nine, they're tied with the Angels, ten games out of a wild card seasons basically over. So I guess my one burning question is I think we're still trying to find the robin to Bobby Woo Junior's batman in this lineup, and we thought it was Michael Garcia. But a below average season plus an injury, the door is open. So my burning question is, can Jack Caglione be the batman or excuse me, be the robin to Bobby vi Junior's batman for the rest of the season. So you have Bobby with Junior extended for a very long time, and then you have Jack hagleon at twenty three years old, and you go into next year thinking, all right, if Garcia can bounce back, if Vinnie can bounce back, which I don't think is a sentence we can really say anymore. I mean, how much longer do we have to see a one eight WRC plus bat at first base with no defense and then this or it's way worse than that. Yeah, So I don't I think that sentence should be thrown in the garbage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just kind of he is what he is.
Speaker 3: He's going to be twenty nine. At what point do we know what a guy is? I think we do at this point. So who's going to be the batman? And I'm hoping it could be Cacs? Right, you can look at again. He's another guy who, based on the quality of contact metrics, has been a bit unlucky this year. And he's just a really exciting player and he looks the part. I mean, he looks like a Greek god out there playing baseball, and he's super fun to watch. And at least he's someone who will put butts in seats and hopefully provide some protection for Bobby Wood Junior, not only for the rest of the season, but for the long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's pretty much what I had too, but I expanded it a little bit more, which was just like, can the young bats take their leap or make their leap? Like that's I include Carter Jensen in that good Carter Jensen. You know how much I've loved him as a prospect. And there's a guy that I thought, you know, could make a run at Rookie of the year and.
Speaker 1: Had a really slow start to the year. But I think since they've let.
Speaker 2: Him start to catch again and got Salvey out of that role and let Jensen start doing what he's been used to doing, he's been a lot better and we've seen him really pick up and I know he's kind of limped into the All Star break, but overall it's just been better overall. So I think this is a guy too, between him and Kagleion, like can both of these guys take that step forward in the second half and you just bolstered this offense to where you go into next season and say, okay, last year for Mikelica because it was just injuries, but now you have four really solid big league bats that you feel great about going into twenty twenty seven, and then you build around that. And if any Pascentino is then your your fifth bat at a slightly above average one and a half win player, then that's fine. If he's your second best bat, that's a problem. So that's where it's where my mind goes. And then of course what returns they can get for Lugo and Waka and that side of things.
Speaker 3: And podcast piece said he had a good nugget for Jack kaglion And this comes to us from inside edge. Jack HAGLIONI is slugging eight twenty one in non two strike counts this season. That is the sixth best in Major League Baseball. But with two strikes, he's slugging one seventeen. That is the lowest in the American League. Reading those two numbers, arm, what does that tell you about CAGs?
Speaker 2: I mean, he just destroys velocity. He's really good when he's you know, in his like attack mode. But I think there's still this balance of trying to limit the strikeouts being a better two strike hitter per se, where CAGs is compromising. What his biggest strength is, and that's something that it's tough because everyone tells you to strike out too much, blah blah blah blah. You want to cut down on that, but you can get a lot of pitches to drive sometimes with two strikes, and if you're focused on not striking out, you're missing opportunities to slug. And I think that's always a difficult balance with young power hitters trying to get their feet, you know, under them in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: No doubt we're going to move over to the American League East next But real quick, let's hear from our friends at Hampton Farms Peanuts.
Speaker 2: The best power hitters in the game pride themselves on swinging hard and maximizing exsit velocity, and they can't do that without muscle. Hampton Farms in shell peanuts are a great source of protein, with seven grams in every serving, America's number one brand of in shell peanuts gives you the fuel and strength you need to attack your day like the pros. Hampton Farms Peanuts fun to crack, better to eat. Find a bag in your produce atyle or take twenty five percent off online at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off, one.
Speaker 3: Burning question for every team in the American League. We move to the American League East, which features the Rays, the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Orioles, and the Blue Jays. We'll start up top with the Tampa Bay Rays. And I know we've talked about a lot of deadline stuff on this episode. Are on with a lot of these teams, because especially in the AL, it's so wide open that you could be a buyer one week and you could be a seller the next. The Rays are solidified buyers at this point, and my burning question is are they going to make the biggest splash of any team at this deadline. They're a fascinating team. First of all, they're three games up over the Yankees in this division and Aaron Judge is not coming back anytime soon, so I don't think that the Yankees are going to be able to close the gap. But I think the Rays are also thinking about you know, not the Rays, their new ownership group that would like to spend some money and is willing to make some flashy moves. I think they're thinking this is a good opportunity to do so right before you know, we could potentially be locked out. So I'm looking at the Rays as potentially the biggest buyer at the deadline of any team in Major League Baseball. I cannot wait to see what they do.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited because we've heard so much about it, like Leander will will swing for the fences when the right opportunity presents itself, and like having that maybe push of the back from a new ownership group will only help that. And then having a ridiculously good farm system, having a very good team that still has clear areas of need, and having the American League be as bad as it's ever been. I think is the perfect storm for this to be that time to just go for it. And also, you look at free agency and how weak it is, so if it's a player with you know, another year of control, I think the race could look at it that way too and say like, this is you know, an opportunity to make our quote unquote free agent addition as well, and who knows they could surprise us with that kind of That's one where it would be funny, Like we talked about Francisco Lindoor, like what if what if the Rays said, hey, we'll take that on, you know, And I don't think they would do that, but I just think that that is a fun wrinkle of like all of a sudden deals that we never really mocked to the Rays maybe because they're willing to take on some money, knowing the free agent classes ahead, and with the ownership group that they have, with the trays that they can make, maybe changes things a little bit so that I had the same question like is this the perfect storm for Neander to swing for the fences?
Speaker 1: And I think it is so with him looking at it this way.
Speaker 2: You have Junior Kamenaro having, you know, just this unbelievable season, and you have a three headed monster at the top that is just so much fun and so special. But you need to link them as lineup a little bit, uh, And.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of ways to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, and you'd always upgrade the rotation, but I think they they're gonna find ways to just always get outs on the mound and they've been doing that all year and you have a healthy use win klanahand and so many good things going. I just want to see a big splash And I think everything is lining up for the race to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at first I thought, you know, and this was kind of a while ago now and now I definitely don't think it's gonna happen. But the idea to float into my brain that Jordan Alvarez could be a Tampa Bay Ray, Now, of course I don't think that's gonna happen. The Astros are gonna be buyers, not sellers. That's how fluid the American League is right now, how can switch on a dime. But I do think that if there is a team, like you said, to make the big splash, it's the Tampa Bay Rays. Anything else on the Rays before we move on, I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was my pitch a month ago, and I was hoping that, uh yeah, that it could come to fruition. But I think the Astros play and just the way things have shaken out, and the Astros being vehemently against trading yourd on, I don't think that that pipe dream will ever happen for me now.
Speaker 3: And stay tuned here on the Just Baseball Show because as we lead up to the deadline, we will certainly be making predictions for these teams. But this isn't really a predictions episode. And again, if you are enjoying this episode of the Just Baseball Show, the best way to support liking and subscribing on YouTube and rating five stars wherever you get your podcasts. Let's move over to the New York Yankees, and I'm curious your one burning question for the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the Yankees' is just what version of Gary Cold do we get?
Speaker 2: Because I think they're gonna address the offense and some guys are gonna pick it up.
Speaker 1: And I could point out a few different guys.
Speaker 2: But I think for this Yankees team, A big reason why I was such a believer early in the year, going into the year, at a lot of different points in the first half was that I was like, this rotation can go toe to toe with anybody. You've got Cam Schlitzler, it looks like the cy Young favorite, and you've got, you know, solid complimentary pieces. But Max Freed has been hurt, Carlos Rodin has been hurt, and I think you need a clear cut number two. And I think it'll be Freed when he comes back, But even then, like who's your queer cut three? And Cole has been there, done that if he's pitching like we've seen him capable of pitching in the past.
Speaker 1: This even if this team isn't hitting.
Speaker 2: If you go Schlitzler to freed to, Cole can win any damn series with They'll have to address the bullpen a little bit too. But then some of the other rotation pieces you can use in different roles and like they're gonna be in the driver's seat. But if it's this kind of subdued Cole, who I know is still pitching back from TJ, so it's going to take some time. He's fine, But that's not a guy where I'm like, oh, you know, advantage Yankees in this one. So do you have the coal that you've had in the past that helps kind of carry you to make some of the playoff runs that you've been able to make.
Speaker 3: So my burning question is kind of along those lines, and how will Aaron Judge's absence affect the Yankees' trade headline? Because without Aaron Judge, the Yankees have gone eighteen and nineteen and they're averaging about four point one runs per game. With Aaron Judge in the lineup, the Yankees are thirty five and twenty three averaging five point two runs per game. The Yankees with him without Aaron Judge are two completely different teams. And we still don't have a timetable of when Aaron Judge is going to return. It certainly won't be by the deadline. So I can understand Brian Cashman and the Yankees' front office looking at this current Yankees team and thinking, Okay, if we don't get Judged back by September, and there aren't a lot of sellers and the pieces that we need to bring in are going to be expensive because of supply and demand. If there's not that much supply, there's going to be a lot more demand. Is this really the trade deadline where we address all of these needs? Because in your statement, arm you were talking about addressing the offense, potential need to address the starting rotation, and a potential need to address the bullpen. I agree with all of those things. Are you going to send prospects for rentals, send guys for years of control when you have all these different problems and you're unsure if Judge is going to come back. It is also no guarantee that Max Freed comes back. And looks like the Max freight of aolt. There is no guarantee that Garrett Cole gets better as the season goes along, because when podcast flashed his savant profile, one thing that you notice with your eyes, and it is reflected in the numbers, is that third percentile and wiff rate Army's not getting swings and misses. This stuff is not nearly as crisp as it once was with Garrett Cole, and it makes sense he's aging. Unfortunately, he hasn't looked like Zack Wheeler. He has looked like an older pitcher coming back from a big time injury, which is understandable. But I thought he could potentially be in the Wheeler bucket where almost nothing matters. He's Zack Wheeler, He's Garrett Cole. It matters. And you look at this rotation and say, Cam Schlitzler is the man. Is he going to maintain a two o five RA? Probably not right. It's gonna go up a little bit, I'm not. I know there was a lot of quotes lately about regression and that he's watching a Red Sox podcast. Whatever. I don't care about that. But does he probably finish with a two six RA, which is still an unbelievable season. Yes, could he still win the cy on Yes? Does he pitch to a two oh five? Probably not so? And then the bullpen? You like Bennar in the closer role. I love Brent Headrick. He's committed, just been awesome for the Yankees this season. It's not a lot of other names that you're in love with, especially Camillavall. So I could understand cash Man looking at this team and saying, if Judge isn't coming back anytime soon, sorry, we're standing Pat. We don't think it's worth it to go full board with this team. And to be honest with you, I agree with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's the biggest burning question is just when do you get your Aaron Judge back in? What version of him do you get because yeah, he takes his team as far as it's gonna go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the he's the bright light. Yeah that they follow, right, He's the star in the night. So without him, would you add to this team? Like my burning question, would you add to this current Yankees team with Bellinger? I know he just won All Star Game MVP, congrats to him, but he has fallen off cliff since Judge left. Ben Rice is still doing his thing. Jazz has not done much of anything this season. Austin Wells has been a complete disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think you're always going to have to that a little bit and give it the old college try, especially if you're eight or so games over five hundred and in the wild card. But you know, if Judge is ruled out for season, I think it's going to look a lot different and we're just kind of on wait and see what that.
Speaker 3: Let's go over to the Boston Red Sox. What's your burning question for Boston.
Speaker 2: The Red Sox, it's I don't think it's a matter of buying and selling anymore.
Speaker 1: I just don't think they're going to sell.
Speaker 2: So can they get Roman Anthony back and inform this season?
Speaker 1: You know, they shipped him out of Boston.
Speaker 2: He's in Fort Myers rehab and now I still don't really understand what is going on, and you know why the hand issue has been such a weirdly communicated thing and why it's held him out so long, But just continuing to try to figure that out and get him back, and I just think this is the guy that is a game changer for them with how bad Jaron Duran has been this year with the way that they are throwing the baseball. Like Roman Anthony, it's not just the fact that if he comes back and he's just above average bat or slightly above average, bet that'd be a huge addition for them.
Speaker 1: He also has the ability to be an all Star caliber bat. We've seen it.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's just if you get Roman Anthony back and he's even just a one to fifteen WRC plus, my gosh, that's huge compared to you know, what you're getting from Jaron Durant has been one of the worst hitters in Major League Baseball and some of the other guys that are getting a lot of run. But on top of that, you add in such a high ceiling player to the fold here, and that really could jump start and jolt this offense.
Speaker 3: It's funny, we're very aligned on this one. But I also added Garrett Crochet, and yeahause Gret Crochet is at least due to be back. And my one burning question was can this Red Tux team make the playoffs without a Roman Anthony or without a Garrett Crochet, And they're certainly tracking towards that right now. But yeah, you basically added all the context about Roman and with Crochet, it's just about rehabbing back, you know, from I think it's that shoulder that he's currently dealing with. Yeah, not taken if you could fact check.
Speaker 1: That for me.
Speaker 3: They have an offense where Durbin has turned it on and Duran hasn't. But you're getting contributions from guys where you think yourself, all right, they're hitting enough. But what's been the biggest thing about this Red Sox team is their rotation. You know, you got your three really talented young lefties and Bennett and Tolly and Early, and you have Ranger Swars having a great season and Sonny Gray having a great season. Like we talk about the Tigers rotation and how like Dak could propel them, the Red Sox rotation is just as good. And imagine adding a healthy Crochet to that. But my prediction is Crochet doesn't really give them much this here. So can they weather the storm? I'm starting to lean they can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they have been.
Speaker 2: I mean because without Crochet, pitching has been the strength that's got them back into it. They just brought Patrick Sandoval back and off of injury, he just gave him really good four and a thirds innings the other day. They have been throwing this guy in Wardo Rivera out there. He's been nasty as well, like they've If it's a left handed pitcher, Brezlo is going to bring him in and he's going to maximize and that's one thing you cannot take away from that guy. And so they could start to funnel some of those guys into the bullpen as well. They could put Patrick Sandival for more offensive help in a more rare big leaguer for big leaguer deal. Like they're the Red Sox are in a really unique place here all of a sudden, and with the depth that they have, and that's why I'm like, you're the one thing they won't be able to do is acquire a bat of Roman Anthony's caliber, and the only way to be able to do that is to get him healthy and get him back in the lineup.
Speaker 1: And to me, that's the thing that can really push them over the top.
Speaker 3: Let's go over to the Baltimore Orioles and my big question mark for them is do we see a second half surge from Gunner Henderson? Yep, right, I think he is the spoon that stirs the drink Gunner. So far this season, he's hitting two twenty four, which is just shocking, six ninety seven ops. Ninety five ops plus he's been worth one point nine f war this season. Now, the reason it's a question and not a statement is arm there's not a lot in the data to tell me that he's going to have a second half surge other than the trust that you have in a Gunner Henderson. But this is in twenty twenty four Gunner Henderson, who put up an eight ninety three ops. Twenty twenty five Gunner Henderson was a seven eighty seven guy. Like, is that what we should expect moving forward? Do we see twenty twenty four Gunner? Do we see more of the same where he gets worse? I mean that's in within the range of possibilities, because if he gets worse, I mean Orioles, forget about it, right, forget about October. But if he looks like twenty twenty four Gunner, you could talk me into the Orioles in October. If he's twenty twenty five Gunner, I'm like, they're going to be on the precipice. So I really do think that he is the driving force, whether or not the Orioles are going to be a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And just in general, it's just like how this day you feel about this team next year too? Is your presumed budding superstar shortstop? It really was a superstar shortstop able to look like a superstar forget superstar, all star, above average, regular, any of those. Right now he's none of those. So that was mine as well. I just can the real Gunner Henderson please stand up? Was my question, because I just don't really know what version of him this is right now. It's been frustrating to watch because of how talented he is, how funny is to watch when he's going right, it just has not been right for him all year.
Speaker 1: The approach has just been an issue. It just seems like he's in his.
Speaker 2: Head a little bit, and you know, I think for a lot of different Oiols hitters that seems to be the case. So I definitely, I definitely think it changes a lot even beyond this year, just going in the next year, if Gunnar Henderson can spread through the finish line.
Speaker 3: Because this Orioles rotation is really rounding in form and I feel like they just need a couple of offensive pieces to really lift off here. I mean, Kyle Bradish has looked better and better. Shane Boss is giving you a ton of innings at least at the very least, and he's pitched to a four to one nine era. He's been totally fine this year. Brandon Young has been an excellent story. Dean Kramer returned from injury and I still think he's a pretty talented arm. And Trevor Rodgers over the last month and change has looked a lot like the Trevor Rodgers that we saw last year. So they have this formation of a rotation. I still think their bullpen nes work, but they still have a couple of arms that you like. Pete Alonzo has ended up having a really solid season. Adley's had a good season. Taylor Ward's been twenty percent abovely gathered. Samuel Bissio has been a good bat. You're seeing Jackson Holiday kind of round into form, but that finishing blow to get the knockout, to get the Orioles to October, it's gotta be on Gunner. That's why he's just by far the biggest burning question I have for the Orioles. And we'll end it with the Blue Jays. You go first, what's your one burning question for them?
Speaker 2: Can the real vlad Guerrero Junior please stand up? Like I had to bring her to it as well, There's just no other way to go from what we have seen from him at his best versus what we've seen from him at his worst, and this has been kind of close to, if not his worst.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's just the story here.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're talking about a guy that in his career has been thirty five percent better than league average, and this year has been one percent below league average for a team.
Speaker 1: That sorely needs.
Speaker 2: Right, he's been one of the guys that's been available and healthy for a team that has been extremely banged up. You know how you weather the storm when your team's hurt all the time by your superstars, Raking, So I think this is a spot where just you need Vladgroo Junior to pick it up again. This is another one where he can maybe help you get back into the hunt here. But also just going into next season, man, just knowing that you can count on Vladdie to be the superstar that you paid him to be.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. And this comes to us from inside edge. Vladimir grow Junior is a ground ball rate of fifty five percent on first pitch of at bats this season. It's the fourth highest in the American League, and he's averaging just three point five to six pitches per play appearance this season, ninth lowest in Major League Baseball. That is a very damning stat knowing that a lot of Laddie's at bats this year, he's not making the pitcher work. He's being way too aggressive, and when he's making contact, fifty five percent of it is on the ground when it comes to that first pitch. And I feel like that's emblematic of just what I've been seeing with my own eyes. I'm watching Vladdie swing at pitches arm that are just downright stupid. Like I wish there was chase rate and there was s chase rate where it's stupid chases where it's a two to oh count and he's swinging at a slider that was never a strike.
Speaker 1: Yeah what?
Speaker 3: Or it's a two to one count and you've got a two seamer barreling in on him and he's inside outing a ground ball to shortstop. Why pitches that were never strikes?
Speaker 1: Stupid chase rate.
Speaker 3: Bladdy leads in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: I swear, yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of swing decision models that I know teams probably used that he would be, you know, probably in that in that realm there, and it's just like you're a power hitter that and a star hitter that. Look, every edge that you give the other side they're going to try to exploit. And he's hard to get out. And in the respect that like he doesn't strike out, he hits the ball hard. The area where he makes it easier to get to get him out is that he gets himself out when you can kind of get him to chase and I would say squander the advantage counts and maybe even get himself out early. There's not a lot of reasons sometimes to come into him here when you know that he's going to maybe expand even when he shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: And I think another important note on Vladdie is that you see a hard hit rate in the sixty seven percent of forty four point three percent, but a lot of his hard contact is on the ground. When he's been putting the ball in the air, that hard hit rate is a lot lower. So you could say, well, he's still hitting the ball hard like, yeah, but it's mostly on the ground. And again when he puts the ball in the air, it's floating. That's why Vladimir Grove Junior has six home runs in three hundred and thirty six abs this year. He's got to turn it around, and Springer has to turn it around too. A big reason why the Blue Jays took the Dodgers to seven was like a lot of big swings from George Springer and the fact that he was a top five hitter in all of base ball last year by WRC plus. Yep, he's seen a seventy point drop off in WRC plus yep. Can he be better than a ninety? Yeah, he's coming in there. We need it.
Speaker 2: We were the better right handed hitters in the game last year. Like, that's just they need that from him too, and they need their Without their stars performing the way they could they should be. On top of the fact that you have all the injuries, it's it's it's gonna be really hard.
Speaker 1: To hang around.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take one last break before we get to our weekend preview where we're previewing the best games from the weekend Slate podcast. P Would you mind giving us a whoahhh weekend preview going through the best games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And it is brought to you by the Picket Sports app. Folks, I don't need an ad read you know why. I use the app every single day For all of my better out there. It is the best way to track your picks. I know Arum downloaded it or he had it for a long time but wasn't really using it. And then when we were at the All Star Game, he sinked one of the sports books and he immediately goes, oh, this is probably really good for betters. Right, yes, because not only does it track your total units, it tells you which areas you're good at, which areas you're bad at, so you can become a better sports better or you better at totals, Are you better at money lines? Are you better at props? Are you better at parlays? They will tell you what sport your best at. But on top of it, Picket also takes away all those odd screens. Right for all my gamblers out there, they know how much money these odd screens are so they can find the best line. Because every cent matters when you're making a pick. Picket does that immediately. In apps, you can save all of it. It is a free app, and when you download the Picket Sports Book and or the Picket Sports app, excuse me, and sync your sports book, whether that be bet, MGM or others, you will get three to one hundred dollars. It's a almost a roulette wheel in a way where you might get three, you might get eight, you might get ninety, you might get one hundred, you might get seventeen. It's a random number generator. So use code just baseball when you sink your sports book, be a better gambler and make some money while doing it. Let's start Friday's games arm and again we're using these Picket screenshots, and I think arguably the best game on the slate Dodgers versus Yankees Roki Sasaki taking on Garrett Cole, and as you can see looking at the market, it's basically an even pick them. Why Cole Roki Sasaki has been wildly consistent. That's why it's close to a pick them. But even though I'm a Yankee fan, it's hard not to lean towards the Dodgers at this price. I know Roki hasn't been great but neither is Garrett Cole. But maybe you see like Garrett Cole's best start of the year, like getting up at Yankee Stadium against the Dodgers on a Friday night. Yeah, I could see it right, And the Yankees offense doesn't scare me. I know, Dodgers Yankees. My favorite bet in this game would actually be the under, like under nine. I don't think there's gonna be that many runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's fair enough.
Speaker 2: I think I just think Sasaki it's it's just been tough lately and you have a three game losing streak getting for the Dodgers going into the break. Not too worried about it, but I didn't think Cole gets up for this one. I do think Sasaki is gonna struggle a little bit. I think this is the one game the Yankees get out of the series.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go over to the next game on Friday. Great pitchers matchup. I think you got the Pirates taking on the Guardians. Jared Jones for the Pirates, Gavin Williams for the Guardians. And I don't know if you guys saw I put out a pick today. I took the under seven and a half Jared Jones lately has looked diabolical. Over his last ten innings, he's given up two hits, arm, two hits, one or run with the strikeout to walk ratio of fourteen to two. I think we're getting Jared Jones ninety nine at the top and when he's that, and he could spend that slider at ninety ninety one miles an hour. Like you said earlier when we were talking about the Pirates on the National League Burning Questions episode, he could be a top thirty pitcher in the sport. And he's going up against the Guardians offense that ranks twenty first in WRC plus, Like they don't scare me. Gavin Williams on the other side, six point fifty four ops at home, opposing hitters are hitting, he keeps the ball on the ground. Pirates have the fifth highest ground ball rate against righty's. Gavi Williams does suffer a little bit with hard contact allowed Pirates ring twenty third and hard hit rate against righties on the road. I think he's set up for a good outing. I think the bullpens are both rested. I think this ends three to two, and I think the Pirates actually pull it out. I think we're going to see a really good Jared Jones outing.
Speaker 2: I think this is an awesome pitcher stool, a couple hard throwers, good heaters. I'm excited for this one. This is probably one of my favorite of the weekend.
Speaker 3: I agree. My only worry is do they play this game with the wildfires coming in from Canada. I'm in Chicago right now. The air quality is horrible. Really, I know in this area air quality is going to be affected, so I hope it doesn't affect this game. But that would be the only reason to not watch this game is if it doesn't happen because of the air quality. All right, let's move over to the next game. You got your Marlins taking on the Brewers, and it's Sandy versus. I forgot to write this one down. I know Sandy is on the mound and on the Brewer side it is Logan Henderson. No wonder I brought it up because I think Logan Henderson right now, with Kala Harrison injured, is the second best starter that the Brewers have, especially again with Brandon Woodruff injured. And as you could see, the Brewers are decent favorites, which is a little bit crazy to me considering how well that the Marlins have played. But another reason I wanted to bring.
Speaker 1: It up is.
Speaker 3: Do you like the Marlins at that price or do you see them going into Milwaukee off the break and this hot streak won't last.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've seen anytime Logan Henderson tows the rubber, you got a really good chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I love this. I love this Brewers team.
Speaker 2: I think this is a spot for them to just kind of jump out of the break here Ridy and then two lefties in the series, I think, I don't know. Henderson has been so good it's it's hard to argue against him. And I think I think he's gonna present some some some tough aps for the Marlins here it's in Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: I think there's a reason why they're the heavy favorite.
Speaker 3: Me too, I'm gonna go with the Brewers as well. Let's go over to Saturday's game, and the first game that I want to talk about is the Giants taking on the Mariners. Logan Webb against Brian wu And these screenshots are from our friends at Baltpark pal excellent model that predicts basically the outcomes using you know, whether you know, they're really really good with the weather, and they have this as a very even pick them Logan Web against Brian Wu fifty to fifty exactly on both sides. I'm curious to see when the lines come out, but as of now, Arm we're flipping a coin. I tend to lean on Wo at home because on the road, Brian Wu has just been abysmal this season, but still a team mobile, He's been awesome. I love Logan Web, but I tend to lean towards the Mariners in that game. But my guess is the Mariners are going to be minus one thirty and the Giants are going to be plus one ten, and Ballpark Palle is going to tell you there's value on the Giants.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the Giants just because of the way that Logan Web has just continued to pitch this year over all. But and I just think he's the kind of guy that with the way that the Mariners have swung it, you just kind of blank and you're in the sixth inning and you haven't scored yet. Wu's just not been as sharp of Wit. I know that it was a limp into the break for Web but it was at Colorado, and then still went seven innings against Toronto, though he did give up the five earn. I think bounce back start for wablow scoring and a late run decides it. I don't know which way though, but I think it's gonna be low scoring. Both offenses are kind of frustrating.
Speaker 3: Love it. Next came up White Sox against the Blue Jays and two pitchers. I have no idea what to expect from in the second half, which is why I wanted to bring up this game. You got Davis Martin going for the White Sox and you got Shane Bieber going for the Toronto Blue Jays, and this one, like Davis Martin put together a really solid first half but started to kind of falter towards the end there. And Bieber, I mean, we were talking about him when we were all in the same Airbnb in Philly, and I just said, to have people been noticing how bad he's been. I mean, this has been He's been one of the worst pitchers in baseball period. He's rocking an ERA at seven, but it's still Shane Bieber, so I still want to believe that he's going to have better days ahead. I just don't know where to go with this one. Yeah, and Ballpark pal is even kind of close. Minus one nineteen for the J's plus one nineteen for the White Sox. I can't believe making Bieber the favorite, but if you believe on a bounce back from him, and Martin continues to falter, I get it. I have no idea what to.
Speaker 1: Do with this one. Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 2: It seems like a tough matchup for Bieber, who's been giving up a lot of hard contact to go against a team that makes a lot of hard contact.
Speaker 1: So I think the White Sox swing it.
Speaker 3: Next one up, Twins taking on the Twins are taken on the Cubs in Wrigley, and it's Taj Bradley taking on Matthew Boyd. And I found this interesting that they make the Twins the favorite, and I think they should be the favorite. Matthew Boyd has not had that great of a season, and TOAs Bradley has really beenastic. Not fantastic is a little bit too much. That's the four point three percenter in me coming out on him. TOAs Bradley has been very solid, and again the Twins can swing it but I love that Ballpark Pal is bringing this up. Wrigley Field plus eighteen percent in terms of run environment. It is expected that the wind is going to be blowing out all weekend, so I can't wait to watch this series. I'm gonna go with the Twins and our friends at Ballpark Pal. I think they win this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think we get a decent one from Boyd. Okay, I'm gonna go with the Cubs. I think someone needs to step up wind blowing out. I also like that for the Cubs offense too. I think Boyd battles.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing with the Minnesota Twins. I want to put up, pull up exactly what their numbers are against left handed pitching, because I know they're really strong.
Speaker 1: Nur WRC well on the season.
Speaker 3: Oh it must have been lately what I was looking at, So maybe they are a little bit weaker against lefties. I swore maybe earlier on in the season. But whatever, it could be actually a good maybe. Then you do go with the Cubs, let's go to but I'm still going with the Twins. Let's go to Sunday game. Excellent pitching matchup in Boston on Sunday, during the day, you got Shane McClanahan taking on Sunny Gray, and McClanahan has looked great. But ballpark pal is pretty bullish on the Red Sox arm giving them basically sixty percent chance of winning this game. I'm sure they're going to be short favorites and likely the value side according to ballpark Pal. Do you agree with them? You think the Red Sox kind of take care of business because as we're recording right now, the Red Sox are beating the crap out of the Rays. It is eight to zero in the bottom of the sixth inning. Could this be a series where the Red Sox kind of take control here? Obviously not the division lead, but really make a statement like we're going to battle and we can be a playoff team.
Speaker 1: And Gray's been awesome and it's a one.
Speaker 2: They have a one to eleven WRC, plus the Red Sox against left handed pitching, so it's a pretty good matchup for him. I kind of get why the Red Sox, the hottest team in baseball right now, would be the favorite in that one.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so we're both going with the Red Sox there. Let's go over to an excellent pitching matchup in Houston on Sunday, Kyle Bradish taken on Hunter Brown, the Orioles take on the Astros, and Ballpark Powell makes the Orioles ever so slight favorites at minus one oh three. I kind of agree with them. I'm gonna go with the Orioles in this one. Bradish has looked awesome. Brown has looked good, but not quite as good as Bradish has. And I think the Astros are vulnerable here. I'm gonna fade their ace and take the Orioles ace and go with the Baltimore Oriols.
Speaker 1: This is a tough one.
Speaker 2: I really want to see Brown kind of have that like statement on backstart, and I feel like we're still kind of waiting on that one. This wouldn't be a bad time for it to happen. But five walks last time, Bradish has look sharper.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I'll go OHS.
Speaker 3: Game of the Weekend Dodgers Yankees Sunday Night Baseball, Yoshinobu Yamamoto against Cam Schlittler. About as good as it gets. Ballpark Powell makes the Dodgers slight favorites at minus one sixteen, and it's hard to disagree really with that. I know Cam Schlitzler is awesome. The Dodgers lineup is way better than the Yankees is, especially right now without Aaron Judge. I think Cam Shuler has put up a better season than Yamamoto. I think if you were to just grade them out on an equal playing field facing equal offenses, you would give Cam Schlitzler a slight edge, especially at home. But with the Dodgers, they're better bullpen, they're better offense. Again, I think the Dodgers kind of take care of business of the Yankees this weekend.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately. Yeah, I tend to agree.
Speaker 2: It's when I said, I think the Yankees get the first one and then the Dodgers take the next two. I do think Schlitler rises to this one and absolutely shoves.
Speaker 1: I think the Yankees bullpen gives it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's going to be Cam Schlitzler as the reason they lose that game.
Speaker 1: I think bullpen gives it up.
Speaker 2: But we get a really fun pitcher's tool through the first six or maybe seven innings between two of the best in the game.
Speaker 3: An our forty five just baseball show. Hopefully everybody enjoyed it. The best way to support this YouTube live stream is make sure to smash the like button and subscribe button. And for all those listening on audio, leaving a five star review would be very very appreciated. As we send you off into the weekend, we did a weekend preview. We went over the Schooble trade report as well as one burning question for every American league team and the recent trade deadline report the New York Mets. An absolutely loaded show, we'd really appreciate your support, and if you want to dive into even more baseball stuff with us over the weekend and leading up to the deadline and beyond, join the best baseball group chat in the world. You can find the link to our discord in the episode description. Or get yourself some just Baseball merch. I'm rocking the hat, arms rocking the long sleeve tea. Make sure to go get yours again. You can find the link in the episode description. Special shout out to Podcast P for brilliant producing. Once again for arm Laighton, I'm Peter Apple. Hopefully everybody has a great weekend. Last special shout out Happy birthday brother. We will see you on Sunday night for the weekend round up and until then, with that thank you.
Speaker 1: A fact