Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Wow, what's up, Ears edition listener? It's dual, says Loan, corresponding for the Daily Show. You're about to hear an episode of one of our original daily show podcasts, hold Up, hosted by me and Daily Show writer Josh Johnson. It's where we take our office banter until weekly world words about topics big and small. In this episode, we debate oh meal versus grits. We go back and forth about which has the best nutritional value, which has the most variety, and which is more delicious. Tune in to find out which side of the debate we each land on, and if you like the show, check out the hold Up podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: The sweetest thing I've seen with grits is people who put a little bit ketchup on their grits.
Speaker 2: Wait, whoa whoa whoa flag on the motherfucking.
Speaker 1: Play You never seen that. No, there's people in the world that put a little bit of uh. I mean, I know, ketchment hot sauce are the same thing, but they might put a little bit hot on their grids. No, thank you for tuning in to Hold Up. My name is Josh Johnson. I'm one of your co host writer for the Daily Show, and I am joined.
Speaker 2: By those tech cat kick kick cat.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm no, no, no, no, no, tap dancing Weekly Talk. I got it.
Speaker 3: Got co Oh, you don't know anything about the balls, Okay, you don't get it.
Speaker 2: You never see that. They was like Katria Atria, Katrina and someone's like dancing.
Speaker 1: No, I've seen it, like like Paris is burning type stuff, right, yes, yes, yes, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Wasn't one of those balls so bad.
Speaker 1: I do too. I have a real appreciation for them, even though I don't fully understand everything that's going on. It's all amazing.
Speaker 2: Well it's like, you know, they call it a death drop. It's actually called a is what it's actually called. But there was this guy that did this one. I have to find the video. This man did such this person he just did this move. They just did this move. Because I don't know how they identify. I don't want to be rude, but the move that they did, it was like almost like a soft backflip, but they were holding like the bottom of their foot and leguistrating.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, I've seen it. I've seen it.
Speaker 2: You see someone in the background just grab the other person and then get up. And it's one has to be like no, no, no, come back. And it's like anytime you see something that makes you run away, it's like when black people are laughing and they go to runaway.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would even go as far as to say that when I saw it, I was like, in order for me to do it, I would need to be shot like that whole, that whole movement that was done. I could only do it if I had been knocked backwards but was also passing out but was also fighting to stay away like that, Like that's what all that meant.
Speaker 2: So a trained cheerleader and gymnast, yes, yes, all those things happening simultaneously. So for the listeners, we did try to educate you on certain things of just having a genuine moment.
Speaker 1: But ball culture, ball.
Speaker 2: Culture, which is so confusing when they're trying to outlaw these which.
Speaker 1: Is so smooth as well. Ball culture it's smooth. Is it's an elegant You know you know what else is smooth? You know what else is elegant? You know what else is giving breakfast? All right? And you know what in breakfast is smooth? You know what in breakfast is nutritious. It builds that body up to kick back, to kick out, to pop out, to duck walk. It's our topic today, all right, Our topic today is oatmeal versus grits.
Speaker 2: I'll say this. I want the listeners to take a moment to decide what side they're on playing music. Okay, we're back. So I know that some of you chose grits, and then some of you are wrong Josh. First of all, the fact that you think that oat meal is smooth, oat miller is a cobblestone street and a bowl.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, if you are you are you trying to bring up the bad oat meals because I'm talking about the good oat meals. Okay? Are you trying to bring up the bad water to oatmeal mix, watered oats mix, the non steel cut mix, or are you talking about all oatmeal to begin with?
Speaker 2: Listen one, I don't understand why we need to steal to cut these oats. How much of these oats pushing back? M hm? Where you have to tell me that these oats are still cut? What else are we cutting oats with? What is the difference? What is the significance mm hmm of a steel cut oat.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can't cut this.
Speaker 2: You can't cut this oat or iron or aluminum to be steel.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Should probably be steel. You know, what's a whole?
Speaker 2: Like? What's the plant look like? I know what grits come from corn?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: What do oats look like? Show me how.
Speaker 1: They look like. If you're in a corn field and you're walking past the lower like the plants that don't go as high, you know, like you're running your fingers through some wheat, it looks kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Oh I just learned something interesting. You know, a veno has like oat milk in it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: The reason that so it looks like the name of oats is a vena sativa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that must be why they call the I don't know, I never I never thought about it.
Speaker 2: So just now, see, how did we figure out we were supposed to eat this?
Speaker 1: You give stuff a try, you know, you be a pioneer. Okay, first of all, that's that's one of the reasons why we're not discovering new foods now is because, like I said before, like I've said in previous podcasts, all right, this is I mean, you take a step back for a second, and you take a quick break. Okay, for the men, all right, for my men, you need to keep being pioneers. You need to keep eating stuff that you don't know if you should be eating it. You need to keep putting stuff in your mouth to see if it has nutritional value. All right, Hey, we're counting on you because because oats, different milks, Where did that come from? It came from pioneers. It came from bravery, fortune favors the bold.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this. Uh huh, you know what you know? You said putting things in men's mouth nutritional You know what I'm going to say. Let's jump ahead. Let's jump ahead. You know what I'm gonna do. You know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see, I see how you are. I see okay, because I'm trying to give fellowship, to employ leadership to these men out here that have lost their way.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, there's so many way. Listen. I can tell you this. We're asking men to be vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Yes, sure, it's your face.
Speaker 2: They have to adjust how they're going, they have to decide how they're going to.
Speaker 1: Do it to be vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Yes, because sometimes they can be vulnerable. It's just humans in general, because I know this is a new thing for men, because like I was talking to this guy yesterday, he was like, well, you know, the world is set up for women to be able to vulnerable and cry, and I was like, but y'all did that. Women aren't telling men they can't cry. Men are telling men they can't cry. Men set all of this up. And if we were let men be vulnerable, maybe they will stop murdering us.
Speaker 1: So shout out to I mean, are you ready for me to be vulnerable about oats?
Speaker 2: Hold on? We need to say who recommended this though, because this actually was from a listener.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you're right right.
Speaker 2: It was a listener. Uh. Kaya Carter, I believe gave us visit me a very nice DM. I do need to respond to kya thank you friend. Oat Meal versus grit This is a great topic because it said oatmeal versus grit slash cream of wheat, which makes me think that you think that if you do oatmeal versus grit slash creama wheat, it makes me think that one your choice is oatmeal and you feel like cream and wheat are equivalent. Because what we could do is a three man snackdown, and I can tell you how oatmeal and cream and wheat.
Speaker 1: I'm not even gonna make you take on cream of wheat right now because I'm passionate about oat meal.
Speaker 2: I like greenk because you don't like cream and wheat either, because nobody wants to eat weg cardboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't even know if I've had cream of wheat, to be honest.
Speaker 2: With you, because you're not a Yankee.
Speaker 1: I guess. I also just I don't even know if i'd recognize it. I've never ordered it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know where you order, Like, I think my mother bought it one time. I did see in the story recently cream of rice.
Speaker 1: Was it good or you just saw it just a baby? Again, I'm just throwing out questions, you know, just asking things.
Speaker 2: I did think about it, but and I was like, what I eat this with?
Speaker 1: Mmm?
Speaker 2: Because cream rice seems like something you give to a baby. First of all, all this feels like baby food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think most of it is. Yeah, grits is probably the only one that's last the entire plate of life. Yeah, I mean like breakfast grits that you know, but oatmeal it seems like its own thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's in.
Speaker 1: Its own bowl.
Speaker 2: Oatmeal is breakfast or cookies.
Speaker 1: You can't put grits on the side. I mean you put grits on the side of the plate. You can't put oatmeal on the side of a plate. You know, with a little because you've had your breakfast, eggs, bacon, a little bit of grits. You can't put a little bit of oatmeal. People will be like, so, did you throw up on my plate? What are we fighting?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 1: Is this an attack?
Speaker 2: This is the oat mill. It's oatmeal. One of those things where it's like grits is because that's why, that's why it fucks with grits heavy one. Grits can be breakfast, lunch, Jenner brunch. Grits can be any meal.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You have your breakfast grits. You know, we've all had fish and grits.
Speaker 1: You say grits. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Did you say fish and grits? Yeah, I've never had fish and grits at the same time. And grits, yeah, yeah, the same concept. I know, it's the same concept. I just didn't know people were doing like whole like blackened catfish or whatever with you oh, fried fish with grits. Yeah, I didn't know that. But the shrimp and grits, Hey, they don't do them anymore. This was, Oh, this, this is like heartbreaking. I remember the first time I went there. They don't do them anymore. They had a shrimp and grits place in Brooklyn that was so good. It was so wild. And then they yeah, it was seasoned well they had They had a little bit of a I don't even I don't even know what it was called, but there was a there was a dash of a little type of oil in it that also gave it a great flavor, gave the shrimp a great flavor, and then you mix in and gets in the grits.
Speaker 2: I think it was too much flavor for It's probably.
Speaker 1: Too much flavor for people, because I remember I had it and I was like, oh, I'm home, you know what I mean, Like, there's just.
Speaker 2: A moment where you're like favor.
Speaker 1: And to be fair, they did have other things in the restaurant, and those other things were just okay. This was the one thing that someone in the kitchen was doing like fire and then oh.
Speaker 2: Says something with too much flavor and then everything else didn't have enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thank you, But I guess this is my thing. I see all the points that you're making so far for grits with the timing, and I agree, and I'll raise you though. That oatmeal comes through with more variety. Okay, there's cinnamon oatmeal. There's there's apple cinnamon oatmeal, there's uh what you muld call it strawberry exactly? Yes, yes, yes, oatmeal is. Oatmeal is coming in with all the fruits.
Speaker 2: Like a pancake you could only put you can put fruit and oatmeal. Yes, fruit, little cream, little butter, there some cinnamon right now. Because I'm a good Christian woman, I don't need grits sweet.
Speaker 1: Do people do that?
Speaker 2: A lot of people do that.
Speaker 1: I did not know that at all.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh my god, have you not been on the internet. There was a big debate like during like like not like lockdown, but like right after lock like you know, when we were just in purgatory.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was like a fall of twenty twenty where we're just like, yeah, technically we could be.
Speaker 1: Outside, yeah, but do you want to be.
Speaker 2: But you can't be outside?
Speaker 1: Everything was also only your sickest friends are calling you, right, Only your friends with a constant cough are the ones like, hey, you all want to hang out on Tuesday?
Speaker 2: No, go home, Stay home. So there was a thing online where people were just like talking about like doing scripts with sugar, grits with salt, savor grits and sweet grits, savor goods grits. I don't believe in sweet grits because I wasn't raised that way. My mama wasn't raised that way. You see what I'm saying. Maybe my grandma would do it. I don't know, but I've never seen Bula put sugar in grits. Sugar was grits was always a savory situation. It was always something because it could be had with you know, your sausage, egg and cheese. Right. My brother never liked eggs when he was a little kid. He didn't like when he was a baby and like them, and my mother would trying to sneak eggs in his grits and you just you don't get me eat lady, she should try to sneak it a couple you know, it's more proteins a young man. Yeah, but yes, sweet grits is. It's a it's a debate in our community. I don't know how you haven't heard about it. It's it's like one of those It was in the lines of like the washing your legs conversation we were having with the uh.
Speaker 1: So, with the whole and now the only thing, the sweetest thing I've seen with grits is people who put a little bit ketch up on their grits.
Speaker 2: Wait, who the whoa whoa whoa flag on the motherfucking play?
Speaker 1: You never seen that. No, there's people in the world that put a little bit of uh. I mean, I know, ketchment hot sauce aren't the same thing, but they might put a little bit of hot sauce on their grids.
Speaker 2: No ketchup when it comes to grits.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I have had good grits. I have had terrible grits. And I've also had polenta that someone tried to sell me.
Speaker 1: Yes, that doesn't act and that Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tell your chef to come outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's fraud outside food, fraud outside pons.
Speaker 2: Frog foo daisy, unnecessary, you understand, good person, Okay, I try to write by people you put on your menu. It's my fault. I am in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's also another W for oatmeal. No, it's not, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not because I have seen restaurant oatmeal.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: The think my oatmeal is that the texture is never good. Never. Now, if you're not, if you're somebody who don't know that when you cook your grits, are you supposed to put butter and milk in it? And you out here with these water only grits, I can't do nothing for you. You have to save yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A lot of grits out there looking like a membrane list not a membrane. Yeah yeah, like a loose like wow, grits.
Speaker 2: With just water like loose water only grits. Because if your grits don't solidify when they get cold. Mm so even coldure grits are.
Speaker 1: Moving, even culture grits are moving. And you're learning so much about biology, you know, the whole biology lessons in the pot.
Speaker 2: I did have somebody asked because one I found out that technically m grits oatmeal, cream of wheat are porridge.
Speaker 1: Okay, and technically.
Speaker 2: When they were talking about that, please can I have some more? H He was talking about oatmeal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, he wants more oatmeal. He needed that sustenance.
Speaker 2: Because he was Yes, he needed to get it in.
Speaker 1: He needed to have was gonna get him there as something A single grit wouldn't have fit the poor boy. He needed some more oats oatmeal. A single oat, A single oat is bigger than a grit an oat, aat at oat is bigger than one grit one oat. I'll take oat all day just because of the size, the size, the five I can like.
Speaker 2: So you're saying the grits like we're saying oat mill of a versatile because you could put fruit in it. This is the thing you can't do savory oatmeal.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Who is doing savory oatmeal? I feel like someone in England is.
Speaker 1: Doing probably, doing probably, and I'm not even gonna vouch for it. I don't know it. I don't know what's out there, but I'm not gonna say that that is great. I haven't had it, so I can't stay with you.
Speaker 2: When haggis is made, oatmeal is the binder. I found that out when I went to Scotland. I just realized I wanted a date. When I went to Scotland the first time, yeah, yeah, yeah, but then I found out he just wanted you want to talk to me. I keep getting I've been tricked by more than one white boy who it's acting like they want to go on a date, but then when you get on the date, they just want to ask me about comedy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I see, yeah, yeah, yeah, you bitch. That definitely I could see. I could see you, like your eyes squaring up where you're like, oh oh m hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, because you've always thought.
Speaker 1: Well played, well played. You just in the middle of a restaurant, you did it. You did you have a bitch trick me? You really tricked me.
Speaker 2: I'm getting too desserts. Honestly, I might get to andres.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I might slide one off the table, yea, as soon as they bring I'm an look at the server. I'll be like, thank you, slide and then look at you and be like clean it.
Speaker 2: Up and like a cat knocking something off a mantle.
Speaker 1: Just m mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: What are you doing so you always want to learn about You're always curious about comedy?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Sometimes they mention it's about comedy. You slid it, But not all the way, it's a quarter off the table, Like and what and what about a career? You're like, oh, a career and finance. You slide the plate back.
Speaker 2: But my friends say I'm the funniest and I should go to an open mic, but I don't think I'm really gonna do it there a girl wow, But it is not it for comedy class, you know, oatmeal, I have all these ad ins. You're just talking about fruit. Okay, if hold on, grits can be there's people that put sugar and grits. I've tried it. I didn't like it because it's not how my mouth is set up right, Okay, but there are a lot of people that do put sugar and grits. M h. I've a jelly get close to some grits and tried it reluctantly, didn't hate it. Never do it fuck again. But grits can be sweet and savory. Okay, oatmeal, it's really only sweet.
Speaker 1: But you see you say sweet and savory for grits, but you also outside of putt a little cinnamon in it, what are people doing it to make it sweet?
Speaker 2: Sugar legitimately sugar.
Speaker 1: Just putting straight sugar, yes, but by that logic, anything can be sweet.
Speaker 2: How you say something sweet, because it's like if you don't put like oatmeal, if you don't put sugar in oatmeal.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I know. I'm saying that oatmeal goes well with these fruits that are added on, like that's a nice pairing, whereas with grits if they don't, if it doesn't go well with anything sweet and you just got to put sugar in it.
Speaker 2: Now, I've never heard of anybody putting fruit in grits.
Speaker 1: Which they shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making suggestions. I'm just saying it's the distinct difference between the two. You know, grits have an overall advantage when it comes to time, Like I said earlier, breakfast, lunch, dinner. I think oatmeal swings it with pairing, with the parability of other things that a million enhances the experience of.
Speaker 2: Oat Oatmeal only a breakfast food, no I know.
Speaker 1: But within breakfast, I'm saying it has more. Yeah, but there are so many fruits.
Speaker 2: Right, But if you're not putting watermelon and.
Speaker 1: Oatmeal, I'm not putting watermelon, but there's so many fruits that it goes well.
Speaker 2: With it goes well with berries, mm hmmm, or whatever the fuck apples are.
Speaker 1: You were sound as so right until you said that last thing that, Wow, I wish we had points so I could get.
Speaker 2: Apples and pears because they're not a stone fruit. So peaches like nectarines, plums, but like a peach. I've had like peach flavored oatmeal and berry flavors. And what kind of fruit is an apple? Like, what's the classification of apple and a pear? Is it a tree fruit? Fruit? Well, we both said that, so that's what makes it. Okay, it's called a palm fruit.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, om.
Speaker 2: Now listen, you can't make fun of me, okay mm hmm, because it says palm fruits are members of the plant family, and it's spelled R O S A C E A E. I know it's not rosetia. I'm fully aware of that.
Speaker 1: That's that is funny though, that that's very funny because when you say when you spell something, because when sometimes when someone spells something for you, if you don't already know the word they're spelling, you have to put it together in real time. So I was also like, there's no way that's rosetia any fruit that can be dehydrated is normally dehydrated, and they can be thrown in with a dry mix of a of a oatmeal will go well with the oatmeal. And I think that's a lot more fruits than.
Speaker 2: Well they dehydrate things that put them in grits. It's just different types of cheeses and butter.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and then look there are a lot of cheeses that go well with grits that people don't even try.
Speaker 2: You know, you put cheese in oatmeal?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: So? Is this what I'm just asking?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just asking yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: That that that's that one maniac.
Speaker 1: Clearly anybody could do whatever they want. Can you put cheese on oat meal? It's like not if you're sane, but who knows?
Speaker 2: But why not? But why not? I mean they use it to make haggis hagis sandwich.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's someone in the UK that's putting cheese on their on their oats.
Speaker 2: I know we're putting cheese on ramen now, so I don't know, is.
Speaker 1: That real.
Speaker 2: Cheesy saving smell?
Speaker 1: If you saw a recipe, I guess people are doing it. Some question answered.
Speaker 2: Ha Ham egg and cheese, oatmeal. I'm just I'm not here.
Speaker 1: For it, so help me out. Sides fish, what other food pairings would you say that grits go with.
Speaker 2: You can do fish, you can do shrimp.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I've had it with like a savory crab creamy.
Speaker 1: So mostly seafood.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, you can do no because for breakfast you're doing all your breakfast meats, your bacon's, your hams, your sausages.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet you could do country fried steak and grits. I bet that'd be good country fried.
Speaker 1: Second, I've never had that. Oh, we might have to have that together. That's that does sound like a good pairing to go back.
Speaker 2: Grits are inherently poor people food, okay, and very much originally you know, from you know, I guess the real food history of it. I think it might have been a food that was like enslaved people. So when you make cornmeal mm hmm, grits is what they would throw away when they make corn meal. It's a part they didn't grind all the way down, and so you take that and that's why you have to boil it to make it edible, because it's literally the it's like almost like a tiny it's the best way, I guess, like a little like a because you see when you cook corn, that little pebble kind of thing that's inside a piece of corn. When you cook corn, that's great and you just get a bunch of those together and then your belly is full. But I can say that I realized that for me, I am not a wheat person. Okay, I'm a rice and a corn. And I think you have to know that about yourself. I think you have to what carbs you like because like so many people have this the uh I know called silly acts.
Speaker 1: But one of my uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: A girl an acquaintance of mind, she has it.
Speaker 1: And can you not have grits if you have celia?
Speaker 2: You can?
Speaker 1: Because oh okay, I was confused.
Speaker 2: No, I'd like, oh, you got the similar disease and she's like yeah, and I was like, what you're not? Just said?
Speaker 1: But also, look, you know the grits nutrition facts. I think when I looked them up, I was a little uh unimpressed. You know, oatmeals bringing you iron.
Speaker 2: All right, iron and corn?
Speaker 1: Uh there's very little iron in grits. Yeah, yeah, oatmeal. You know sometimes and I love that we do this because it lets you know when something is a bit inferiored or something else. Grits not coming through with any vitamin C, any calcium, any vitamin D, very little B six, very little magnesium. You know, it really is just there to, like you said, sort of keep the belly full and move on. You really need to pair something else grits, you know, so that you get some nutrients in. Because I think I've given credit to grits for its versatility in meals, and now I'm realizing it's a hanger on. Okay, it's a leech. Okay, it's a social climber. It's what it is.
Speaker 2: Whoa whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: Oat meals out here being in its own bowls, standing on its own two oats.
Speaker 2: Okay, now let me see something and say, okay, why do Southern Indy grits? Grits are an iconic Southern dish. It dates back as far as the sixteenth century. They were originally made by drying corn kernels and boiling them to create a mush. That's still how grits are made.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Grits were introduced into Southern cooking when the name Okay, there's a way that we talk about Native Americans that I always think is weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We always put an identify in front of it. When the native I've always thought it was Americans, is the native you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think that's because if you say Native Americans, this is this is like, this is just like I think, a semantics thing. But once people from England started being born here, they were also native to America. That's why when you're distinguishing, unia say the Native Americans, so that we can distinguish people because we're natives, like we were born.
Speaker 2: Here, you know, as using the term indigenous.
Speaker 1: I think so. Yeah, I think so because because technically anybody born somewhere is native to that place. So just so there was no confusion. We weren't like, you know, the Native Americans as in anyone who was born here.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, the natives, right, the original people of this land got it. Just wondering, just trying to let you know when naive Americans served grits to Sir Walter Raley's men and the subsequent Jamestown colonists, So grits came from the day of Americans and then I guess white people started eating them, and then black people went hey, hey, hey, hey, we got it.
Speaker 1: I think in yeah, I think in slavery that was exactly the way you described it. Is what happened past, like past the initial Native Americans making a version of it, and then we made a version of it because.
Speaker 2: Corn wasn't it was indigenous to the New World, so we didn't know about corn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a new plant.
Speaker 2: There was munching on. It's like, hey, hey, what y'all what y'all munching on? What's what's this? We we got wheats and oats and some shit called amaranths spelt that. What was y'all crunching on?
Speaker 1: Crunching?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, I think, I think I'm confident, but you can't say because I can't be. I can't be what I'm talking about. No about oat mill, Yes about oat meal. I am very confident about oat meal. Yes, Yes, for what because because pirs well with other things, it's more nutritious, its b six, it's coming through with iron faber things. You needing your diet.
Speaker 2: I can keep grits and eat a vitamin. Be fucking fine. What I'm saying is.
Speaker 1: You'd have to put a vitamin and your grits to have a vitamin. Just remember that. Don't be like, oh i'mna have my grits, you have your oat meal. Make sure you drop a couple of B six vitamins in there, like you're at it.
Speaker 2: Get a multi vitamin life together. Yes, saying is, grits are more versatile. You compare them with meats, you compare them with veggies. You know you ever had like because my homeboy was making breakfast, you know, Papa, he was making breakfast one day, because Papa makes breakfast. It's great. We love Papa. And he made grits and he'll make like white gravy from scratch, which I had never seen anything like even my mom may never make white gravy scratch. I never seen that in my life. Yeah, And so he made up some like Brussels sprouts or whatever because he's like, well, we got to have a little veggie with breakfast, and like, I think we're eating brunch now, but grit's put a little like grits with eggs and some sausage with some like brussels sprouts. That's a good brunchy meal. Right, He got my vitamins Okay, got my mental rallys. But I think that you could have or you could take that same meal. You can take off the bacon and the eggs and you can put down some shrimp peas, or you can put down you know, macro fretters or salmon or anything you know rich. You can flip in it. Like you said, oatmeal don't get served on the side. Yeah, oatmeal ain't getting added to nothing. I'm not out here trying to try and save your old meal. If you really won't know what's happening, Are you will? Or do you want to try savory oatmeal? Do you want to see if you can put cheese and bacon and eggs?
Speaker 1: Look, do you think your ancestors.
Speaker 2: Will continue to bless you and smile they down on their faces?
Speaker 1: How about this? I will try savory oatmeal before I would try sweet grits.
Speaker 2: That's legitimate. You're a good man. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think that you know, you talk about versatility, and I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, so you don't want to put because to make anything, because to make oatmeal sweet, you have to put sugar in it.
Speaker 1: No, I know, But I'm saying. I'm saying, when we talk about nutrition alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, nutrition fine, m hm, there might not be as much of anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of the things.
Speaker 2: There cars some stuff and grits.
Speaker 1: There's some stuff. Yeah, you're right, that's the right word to use for it. There's some stuff. There's some general junk you can digest eventually.
Speaker 2: What in the hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and once you've once you've added butter and you've boiled some milk. I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to add butter to fucking oatmeal too.
Speaker 1: No, not really butter, yes, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, okay. So grit it's got proteins, got carbohydrates, fiber, there's no sugar, and grits.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, But I'm saying, how much of those things does it have?
Speaker 2: There is iron and grits, your jerk, there's iron.
Speaker 1: Two percent of the iron you need today.
Speaker 2: Magnesium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might as well bite a piece of metal to get more that you're good from grits.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Just you're just saying things that have trace amounts in there. Who's trace trace tracy amounts in there? I said it in the in the beginning of episode I say again, Brothers out there men, my men, okay, you want strong bades.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'll talk.
Speaker 1: I'll talk to the women too. I'm just saying, you know, it's these men out here that need guidance.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I'm saying, my man, listen, open your ears harder. I know you think you're listening. Open them wide, okay, get them so, open the AirPod, slip out a little bit. Okay, open your ears and listen to me. Get that oatmeal in, okay, get your calcium okay, get your iron in. You want to be iron You want to be a hard body. You want to be an iron man. Yeah, you're iron in.
Speaker 2: You a picture of your body?
Speaker 1: What that fiber? That fiber? Be honest, men, how often you can go into the bathroom? You going?
Speaker 2: They need to drink?
Speaker 1: Yeah, drink your water all right, that's why we're dying out here. No fiber. Okay, stay fibrous, stay healthy, stay manly.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, and uh, you know my thoughts are with you. What Yeah, you don't be thinking about you all right? One mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: A lot of us aren't eating breakfast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of us are skipping breakfast.
Speaker 2: That's fair, and we need to be eating breakfast. There's one thing my nutrition has said me is like, you have to if you want to do anything, if your body wants to be right, if you want you know, if you're trying to to just improve your health overall. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also, say you get very tired during the day, like I would be waking up at nine, I wouldn't eat to one pm. My nutres just like, what the hell are you doing? Yeah, your body's in starvation mode all the time, right m h. So we gotta start eating breakfast more. You gotta start drinking more water. I'm sorry, but we do, we do, we do. I had a doctor tell me it's like a lot of the stuff that people will have issues with if they would just drink more water and they could just flush stuff out of their body because you just sit in your liver or just sit in your kidneys, or just sit in your colon water water water. So we gotta start eating breakfast.
Speaker 1: We gotta start remember the flush, Yes.
Speaker 2: Remember the flush. Uh, you know, be your own handle to your own plumbing. M Also we have to remember that grits came from and oppressed people.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? What are you doing right now?
Speaker 2: Chris came for people mine in their own business. And then the hot man showed up. And what did he bring with him?
Speaker 1: Will you?
Speaker 2: What did he bring? Josh?
Speaker 1: Will you? I don't think no, no, don't don't. Don't put that on me. That's not there's no way.
Speaker 2: Brought oatmeal. That's what happened. What I think.
Speaker 1: I think oats grew here. Don't do that that they were here.
Speaker 2: Corn wasn't over there. How was oats over here?
Speaker 1: Because a place can have its own things, the place its own foods.
Speaker 2: Is oatmeal indigenous?
Speaker 1: How is oatmeal gonna be? It's just oats? It just did oats grow here already?
Speaker 2: Corn didn't grow in Tomatoes didn't grow in Europe. Pumpkin didn't grow in Europe. They listen. If it wasn't for Marco Polo and.
Speaker 1: We, isn't corn.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Think about it. If it wasn't for Marco Polo and Columbus, there would be no There would be no pasta. You see what I'm saying. There would be no sauce, there'd be no pasta. So the whole rest of the world didn't have corn, and then the white folks hopped on a boat and came over and brought their happy asses over here. So some plants so grew everywhere. I don't think eggplant lived grew in Europe. So I don't know what these I don't know what they was eating before. Somebody still the ocean blue. All I'm saying is that the white man brought oatmeal. And what I'm not gonna do is promote the white man's brains. I'm not doing it. I'm not doing it. Okay, we've been through too much, Joshua.
Speaker 1: I think I think you're taking some real liberties here.
Speaker 2: Who and justice for all?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank y'all so much for listening. Don't do that because because because, because we also have to do a shout out another another quick shout out to uh our our friend who wrote in and gave us this suggestion. We will say what what was? What was the hand on that one?
Speaker 2: This is key underscore, Carter was. I'm just here to help, josh I'm here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, I'm very helpful. We're going to kick it to you, the listener. All right, I want to hear from you. Do you like oatmeal? Do you put up with grits? Do you enjoy having grains at all.
Speaker 2: And I would ask you, do you, as a listener eat the white Man's porch or do you enjoy the versatility that is the great I'm just trying to help people be blessed, you know what I mean. I just want folks to know all of the facts in for my s own.
Speaker 1: Okay, you if you're looking to catch up with us in any other form, you can find us on social you know, I'm at Josh Hotson Comedy on TikTok and Instagram, also on YouTube, and then you can also check out my other podcast at Josh Johnson's Show. We also record and post every Thursday where if you listen to podcasts, and if you are looking for dual, say Sloan.
Speaker 2: You can catch me and them all with your daddy. Or it's so fun to say, would have made excited, say somebody called Rianna, I'm a boss and drawers with him. Yes, I'm in here. I'm out here in the mall with your motherfucking daddy. Or you can catch me on the interwebs. You can catch on Al Gore's Internet. Uh, you know, Dick Cheney's arch nemesis. I got shows coming up. Were on the road, josh on the road. We're not on the road together. Listen, if y'all want us to do this goofy shit live, tell us, and we would love to come to your city, hang out with your pop Paul, and just see if you can take me to a rainbow and your local I didn't say, Tori, your dad can take me to a rainbow? Really okay with it? Don't tell your mom, be cool. But yeah, So if you want us to do this shit live, you know, and you maybe can submit a topic tell us, tell us for real, go into comments on any of the socials and be like, hey, Joshua, don't say this loan come to my city with this nonsense. And maybe maybe we should start should we start having guests?
Speaker 1: You know, we might be able to bring somebody in Season two, can probably bring someone in in the last like five to ten minutes to really digest what's been done. That's the only way I can put it.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about I digest everything.
Speaker 1: Just fine, all right, we'll fine, fine, fine, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Just bring your face. It's fine, brady face. Listen. If you want to catch us, look up for me and josh and my shows, and look up Josh shows and look for my shows and just really good well, thank you so much for all of the loop and support that y'all have shown us, because listen, we didn't think anybody. I didn't think anybody's gonna listen to me and Josh just have silly ask conversations about you know, big topic, big opinions about small things. But apparently y'all like it. So if you want us to have a second season, we would love to have a second season.
Speaker 3: Message somebody comments, yeah, so let us know, let us know if you're gonna be coming to a show, if you want to get tickets or anything like that at the Dailyshow dot Com backslash Josh Johnson The Dailyshow dot Com backslash do we'll say sloan, that's one of the best.
Speaker 1: Ways to get a hold of everything that is us and those links will be in the episode. Thank you Gil so much for real. We'd love you yee. Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Faaramount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast,