Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to the Therapy Gecko podcast, or welcome for the first time if you're listening for the first time. This is a gek irl episode, meaning that I'm actually not alone in a dark room talking to other people alone in a dark room. I am in the center of one of the busiest parks in one of the busiest places in the world, New York City, Washington Square Park. There's a lot of people around me. It's the evening time, it's a Friday night. I had no other plans. I can't think of anything I would rather be doing than right now than being here doing this EI. There's nothing. What am I gonna do? I go to a bar, talk to I'll talk to way more people doing this than I would if I went to the club. If I went to the club, the amount of people I would interact with would be Maybe I would maybe I'd be lucky if I talked to one other person besides either myself if I went alone, or a friend. If I went with a friend. This if I want this, This is the most social evening I could realistically have for myself in New York City. So these are so for me. It's a solid Friday night plan. Uh, we're gonna talk to some people. Normally I just take phone calls, but today I'm gonna take you know. So we're gonna try to do this once a week to a weekly Gecko I r L episode, And we're gonna talk to some people. There's a lot of people that want to talk. I'm not gonna get to talk to all of them. I'll get to talk to a few of them, and we're gonna be happy with the ones that we did get to talk to, and we're not gonna get hung up with the ones we didn't get to talk to.
Speaker 2: That's life for you. Okay, all right, let's talk to some people. How's it going man? What's your name?
Speaker 3: My name is Jay Jay. Nice to meet you, Jay. What's going on, Jay? How's life? You know what? It's okay, it's okay for the most part. Yeah. I just got here like this is day, like seventeen in New York. Oh from where are you moving from? I came from Atlanta? Oh cool? I love Atlanta. Yeah, you know, it's a beautiful city.
Speaker 4: You know, I've got I've got mixed feelings about New York so far.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, why'd you come here school? Oh why am are you all right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I was over at at Scatt doing film Yeah, I know scad. Yeah, so this is like the I kind of threw Nyu out as like a hail Mary and you know, and I was like, oh shit, I actually got in.
Speaker 3: So are you at Tish the film school? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know it was what Okay, I really got to know. So I went to film school. I went to Temple University for film school. Graduated like five years ago something like that, and it was absolutely uh. I mean it was like the curriculum, it's so the experience I had at college was great.
Speaker 2: I got to meet a lot of people, I got to do a lot of stuff. I had a nice experience.
Speaker 1: But the actual curriculum, they don't really teach you how to do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is films?
Speaker 1: I mean film school is so outdated down Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Is that right? I'm kind of hearing that.
Speaker 4: Like I think that most of what you get at a film school is like connections and you know, meeting like you know, people around you that will help you out or whatever. But like I feel like with most stuff, you get like one class on it and it's like, hey, here's lighting.
Speaker 3: That's it, you know, and then we're not We're not touching that again.
Speaker 1: Right, So what's uh what's your like, dream man?
Speaker 3: What do you want out of life? Uh? Oh?
Speaker 4: I want to be in my crib just writing scripts whenever I want, and then like to have enough money so I could like day drink yeah, like a cashmir sweater, you know. Yeah, and then like after like a year of like being like a hermit or whatever, yeah, I'll come out and I'll be like, Okay, I'm gonna shoot.
Speaker 3: This film now.
Speaker 1: If you can get drunk at one pm on a Tuesday and no one's mad at you, I think that's a wonderful financial goal to have, right.
Speaker 4: I think that that is like and I need to be able to like go and like smoke with my friends at like twenty twenty five, and it'd be like, yeah, you know, we're we're creatives and we're together and we're thinking and.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, wait, you need to be able to go and smoke with friends at twenty twenty five, like the ages.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and not be like, oh, like what are you guys doing with your lives?
Speaker 3: But it's like, oh, we're decompressing, you know. Yeah, I have been thinking about that.
Speaker 1: This is a topic I've talked to to death on this podcast with like We Eat and STEPD. But wait, I always like that was a fantasy I always had to especially when I was in high school. Yeah, was like I loved the idea that I could get really high and then work on something creative. And I realized that here's the problem with that. I guess that I found out is the fantasy of getting really high. At The fantasy is that you get high, and that getting high allows your brain.
Speaker 3: To effortlessly just produce. It's ever worked, right, and it never works.
Speaker 1: No, And that's not because what Because here's the reality I want to face is that making stuff is actually a lot of fucking work.
Speaker 3: Dude. Yeah, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: And some people are good at like getting really high and it makes them more creative. And I've come up with I've come up with good ideas right while I was stone, But I've.
Speaker 3: Never a consistent like an end all be all.
Speaker 1: Getting high, Uh, to come up with ideas is one thing, but you should I don't think. I don't believe in getting high to execute ideas work. No, it's not a good way to execute it. I've always and you know what's funny is I've never I never learned this lesson.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm I'm twenty seven.
Speaker 1: I've been getting high before for almost ten years. Right, I've been editing videos for like fourteen years something like that, and the whole time, I've been like, you know what would make this editing session more enjoyable is if I got really were stoned. Yeah, and I get stoned, and then I'm like, oh, I'm way too high to look at a computer. And then the next day, and then I the next day, I go, this time is gonna be different?
Speaker 5: Right? And I do.
Speaker 1: I do that pretty much every day for fourteen years. I'm probably gonna do it later later on. I'm gonna be like I did it for this. I was like, if I get high, this will be more fun.
Speaker 4: The day right before I left, my friends were like, hey, you know, we want to throw you like a little going away party or whatever. And we're like, okay, you know, we'll shoot a short film. It'll be real, gorilla, you know, we'll do it in one day. We got there, we had no s D card and we were like, oh fuck, what do we do now? So we just day drink and man, that was literally a whole fucking.
Speaker 3: You know what, that's okay, you know what, that's okay.
Speaker 4: And it like and there were like other ideas pitched around. We were like we could use a different camera, you know, and we're like, oh, you know, we can't do that.
Speaker 3: Let's just let's just drink away. What your name is, Jay? How old are you? Jay? I'm twenty? All right? Cool?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. It's important to learn it's okay to bail out. Sometimes it's there's like you gotta learn when to bail out.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I didn't come out with this, but I was watching shout Out this guy doctor K. You know, Doctor K's like a YouTube guy. He's like a YouTube mental health dude. He was talking about how he how he works, uh, and he was like, I work consistently, but I never dip into reserves. And when I heard that, that spoke to me. It's just like if you're if you're if you're like, oh I really were, This is not gonna work. Like something fucked up, your SD card is fucked up, your computer's overheating. As long as you run of a deadline, it's okay. To to give in yeah now and then yeah, Like there.
Speaker 4: Have been so many days where I feel like every time that I push myself to, like if I'm at the point of exhaustion, I'm like, oh, you know, let me get these last words on paper. Almost always I come back the next day and I'm like, this is fucking gobbledygook. Yeah means nothing, right, right, I have to come and do it anyway, right, right.
Speaker 1: I mean that's a well, especially because here's the thing is, like creative work is not measured in man hours. It's measured in uh, you know, creativity and brain power, right, So you want to work within your optimal brain power. And if you're sitting and you're editing something, or you're painting something, you're writing something, and you go past and you're once, you're once you can feel physically that you're cooked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just push yourself past that. It's dog shit.
Speaker 1: You throw in the towel because what because the you know, you're leveraged, right, So, like thirty minutes of high brain power work is going to be more valuable to you than you know, three hours of cooked bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three hours of ass.
Speaker 4: Like I yeah, most of the time now, like I'm and I'm trying to get better at that because most of the time now, if I like really need to like, oh I need to remember this, I'll just make bullet points. I'll be like, yeah, this guy he says something along these lines.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go to bed now. So who do you like in the film?
Speaker 4: It's always a rough question because I always because I'm a big comic fan, So I always say I love James Gunn's work.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but uh, but then I think about those tweets. Man, what I he had some crazy tweets like not even like a you know, like like oh you know, like you know he could push past it, or like like I he's got to earn that that ship back.
Speaker 3: I can't When what was he tweeting?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't even you would get super demonetized. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, you know whatever. But anyway, who cares fucking well? All right, you like you like comic books.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love comic stuff. James Gunn is like a big, big inspiration.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I love Edgar Wright, I love uh cool David Leach because I think that those three guys are like the only three guys in Hollywood still that are like, I'm gonna use all of the studios fucking money, right, we need to fly to Antarctica right now for this shot. I need ten thousand dollars right now to do this. Yeah, right, And they're just doing dumb shit. They're just making fun shit to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah you got Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's if you've worked your career up to a point where someone will just give you an infinite amount of money to make something.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that exists anymore. I don't think that exists.
Speaker 1: I think that like the days are probably I feel like like maybe ten times a year, five times a year, someone will get a lot of money to make a movie. But now it's all gonna be you know, you're gonna be making movies on your phone. Man, You're not gonna be making movies with like thirty thousand fucking people.
Speaker 4: Like That's and like it scared me a lot about like getting into film because of like the way that things are headed, not just because of like you know, like AI and shit like.
Speaker 3: That chat ebt.
Speaker 4: Because I'm like, my big thing is writing, but just want to direct so that my vision like comes through properly. Sure, but like, yeah, and especially with I feel like studios are just way more risk adverse.
Speaker 3: Now we're not getting as much random shit. Yeah, but again it's like.
Speaker 1: Studios, you know, I mean, like you can just make your own movies and you put them on the internet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's what I'm trying to do now, right.
Speaker 4: Just I love over the last like two weeks or so that I've been here and we've just had to go out and film in like fucking ninety degree weather, Like, I fucking love that.
Speaker 3: I like that a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, let's just pick up tripods and and fucking go film and yeah, you know, we're gonna be out till like one two in the morning, and then we'll go get drinks or something and it'll be great.
Speaker 3: But like, just do it.
Speaker 1: Just enjoy it, Enjoy, enjoy enjoy being in film school and getting high and fucking around.
Speaker 3: It's a good time. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like the idea of just making cool shit with your friends, like the people around you, because I've been blessed to like I've got so many friends in film that are like doing the same thing, and we're just ping, pauling and ideas off of each other. It's it's great. It's actually my favorite shit in the world. Like, I could not imagine doing anything else but film.
Speaker 3: You know, Jay, is there anything else? Do you wanna get your name right? Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 1: Good names a lot? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer.
Speaker 3: Before Keep fucking making shit. That's really it.
Speaker 4: Just keep making shit and you know whether or not you know, whether or not you've got money or or I don't know, Make it real and then make it that's the quote.
Speaker 3: Make it real and then make it good. Make it real, then make it good. I agree. I agree with that. Don't focus too much on making the thing good.
Speaker 1: You gotta you gotta just make the fucking thing and then if it sucks, you make another one.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. Good to meet you, Jay.
Speaker 1: You look on your film, on your film career. You want to talk what's your name and what is it? And how's life.
Speaker 6: Going in it's going?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Are these even on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're on, they're not projecting.
Speaker 1: I've had I've had a guy sit down here once and like tried it, like he was singing. He was really fucked up and he was singing, and he was like, how you got to turn up the amps, and I don't think he understood that this is I'm recording a podcast.
Speaker 6: So why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna try to give you a really good answer to that. I'm gonna try to give I'm gonna look into my soul for the truest answer to that question.
Speaker 3: Why am I doing this? I'm doing this for a am I saying this word right? Myriad?
Speaker 1: I'm doing this for a myriad of reasons. One, it's my job. It's a just how I make a living as I make podcasts. Uh, that's that's most of the reason. I think a lot of people do a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Two, it's really fun. It's a great way to meet new people and.
Speaker 1: Uh experience, you know what. I actually I constantly audit my life. I don't know if you do this, but I audit my life. I think about that I only get to live one time. You know, what's the best possible thing to do with my life?
Speaker 3: And how far? How far is that from what I actually do?
Speaker 1: And I was thinking, I'm like, you know, be dressing up as a gecko and interviewing people around the world and in New York and whatever.
Speaker 3: I can't think of a better thing to do.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's like, I'm not gonna like go into finance or be a fucking you know what.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I can't think of a better thing to be doing with my time right now. I could be raising a child, but I don't want to do that right now.
Speaker 3: I'm twenty seven. How old are you? I'm twenty very cool. What do you? What do you do?
Speaker 6: I work in finance?
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, my bad, my be do you but walcome? But you picked it for some reason.
Speaker 6: I picked it because it pays the bills. But I'm sure this pays the bills and I could be doing this and this is awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could be doing this.
Speaker 1: This is this is only this suit is like Actually, the suit's gotten more expensive. It used to be sixty bucks, now it's nineties. No, it's the same suit. It just is inflated. Oh okay, I'm not saying I had anything to do with that.
Speaker 6: But you got a good deal on it.
Speaker 3: Look at you. Oh no, this is the.
Speaker 1: I've This is probably the thirty fourth one that I've bought over the past five years.
Speaker 6: Five years, yeah, something like that years.
Speaker 3: For five years. How long have you been doing finance.
Speaker 5: I just started.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to imagine I know, you know, I actually feel bad about what I said because I have to imagine that in the Finance universe, it's gotta be at least you ever seen Breaking Bad.
Speaker 6: I don't like Breaking Bad. I know it's a hot take.
Speaker 3: Why don't you like Breaking Bad?
Speaker 5: The minority that don't?
Speaker 1: I wanna wait, tell me why I don't like Breaking Bad? Then I'm gonna finish the someone hates on Skyler.
Speaker 6: Everyone hates on Skyler for no reason. She's a cool She's a cool girl. I like Skyler. I like the wife. I think it also, it gets monotonous, like the characters like Walter will always be bad. Oh no, you know what I mean, Jesse will always be like it's like a trope. It just keeps going and going.
Speaker 1: It's like predict So I was okay, So here's why I brought up Breaking Bad. It begins to bring it back to everything we were just talking about. Is like the Finance world.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: There's a scene so throughout Breaking Bad which Skyler discovers that Walter. Okay, So for those who don't know Breaking Bad, it's about this guy who like gets cancer and starts selling It's like a chemistry teacher gets cancer and he starts selling math to like support his family, and it's high quality math, and it's high quality math and so and the whole time, the fact that high quality math is important because the whole time, like when Skyler is giving him shit about like like what you're doing is so dangerous, and he's trying to justify his actions. In the whole series, he's trying to justify his actions by going, I'm doing it for the family. He goes, he goes, well, he goes, I'm doing it for the family. I'm doing for the family. And then there's one point where Skyler goes and don't say you're doing it for the family, and he goes, you know what, I wasn't doing it for the family, And he goes, I was doing it because I was good at it. And I have to imagine there's gotta be at least some people in the finance world who, if you ask so about it, are not like I just did it for the money. I just do or maybe they they maybe it started I was just winning it for the money, and now it's like I do it because I'm good at it or just or just you know, I do it because it's what I do.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't even think I'm good at it. I think my talents are wasted.
Speaker 3: What are your talents that you feel as you're wasting?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm a very fast walker. If that was a sport, i'd be an awesome athlete.
Speaker 1: It is a sport, but you gotta go a little bit. You gotta go fast enough that they call it running.
Speaker 6: I haven't explored all my talents to have really known whether or not it's been totally wasted. I mean, but you've explored yours. Can I ask you why the gecko? Do you get that a lot?
Speaker 1: The real answer is uh, kind of complicated and boring, But I'll give you a fun answer.
Speaker 6: No, I want to know the boring answer.
Speaker 1: No, I the boring answer it's too Is it emotional? No, it's that No. If it were emotional, it wouldn't be boring. Okay, I was gonna give you a fake answer that was more emotional.
Speaker 6: I think I want the boring answer. But you're welcome to tell me whatever you'd like.
Speaker 1: So you're majoring in finance, you're not gonna tell me no, I'm probably not gonna tell you, but I I'm after you. Sure I can tell you after Okay, okay, So are.
Speaker 3: You going to n YU?
Speaker 6: I graduated school already?
Speaker 3: Oh you did?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wait you're only twenty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know it's a huge thing. Oh no, no it's not.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's so it's but what's what's the deal with that? You graduated? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Graduated early?
Speaker 3: Did you take a lot of AP courses?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: I just did it in three years, six classes, summer classes, bunch of classes.
Speaker 3: Whatever. How hard do you have to work for three years to do that?
Speaker 6: Not that hard, It's not that hard. No, anyone could do it anyway. It's like college is like, you don't need to do it for the full four years. They're just doing it to milk you. Okay, am I taking up too much of your time?
Speaker 3: No, we're just jok Was there something else you were thinking about majoring in?
Speaker 6: I majored in psychology for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh really, wyt just drop psychology?
Speaker 6: I dropped psychology because I like went through a phase of really liking perfume and bras and my parents were like, you love expensive things, like yeah, I do, And then they made me feel like a poor person if I did psychology.
Speaker 5: So I was like, all right, fair enough?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah no, And.
Speaker 1: I there are certain I have, Like there's certain things like I don't cook.
Speaker 3: I just like I don't.
Speaker 1: I just like go and I get like I I go to the grocery store and I get uh sushi, like the little grocery store sushi, and I get a rotisserie chicken. And I'm like, Okay, now I need to have enough money to afford my rotisserie chicken and grocery store sushi. You know your lifestyle and flates. Yeah, grocery store sushi and uh a rotisserie chicken are my perfume and bras?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's like, yeah, you're you're why do therapists? Therapists make some money, don't.
Speaker 6: They're all right, it's a it's a good struggle for a good five six years, but they're right. Did you go to college?
Speaker 3: I did go to college.
Speaker 5: Where did you go?
Speaker 1: I went to Temple University for film school. I was just talking to the previous gentleman about film school. Yeah, what the hell was I going to say?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, how much money? Uh is enough for you? How much money do you think you need to?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I'd say, like, my goal in this life is probably two hundred. To max out at two hundred a year, yes, thousand a year, yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: To wait to max out at Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think at the height of my career that would be a goal for me.
Speaker 3: Very cool, two hundred. So what is like? So what's the future like?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna be like in like a Manhattan high rise, like telling people to run the numbers?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I want to go to I Live. I'm from Boston. I think I want to go there. Okay, Chestnut Hill Country Club, take care of my parents.
Speaker 3: Okay, you want the whole, you want the whole? You know what? Can I say something? Okay, I I I said this.
Speaker 1: I'm not being the slightest. She's facetious. I think I respect openly admitting wanting to be rich.
Speaker 6: I don't Yeah, okay, I'm gonna say something about this.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, this is a hot take, and take if you go ahead, whatever it is.
Speaker 6: I think people that are gold diggers like get too much hate. I think they get too much hate. I hate to say I'm not saying openly I'm a gold digger, but I think they just get like to.
Speaker 3: Like, you know what, yeah, shut out to you?
Speaker 1: Well, a gold digger like uh, like okay, a gold digger, I feel like it's traditionally a gold digger would be somebody who like is in like some form of romantic relationship with somebody. For are you using it like that or using it or using gold digger as a catch all phrase for anyone who is acting who actively choose money in any form.
Speaker 6: I think I meant the first, the former.
Speaker 3: The former, Yes, okay, would you prefer to just marry Rich?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: Actually, okay, I would like to marry Rich. That's fine, fine my me. I don't like care. I think I want to be able to hit a certain point where I have enough money to do what I really want.
Speaker 3: What do you really want?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I want to start a business. I want to do something cool.
Speaker 1: Here's a problem I want to tell jam And here's here's a problem. I'm gonna tell you. The problem is that uh, actually I I sort of I sort of eat these words, but I do I have been thinking about them.
Speaker 3: Is when you kind of I think, like, uh, when you delay a thing where you're like okay, once I have enough money. What was on my head?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Oh it's okay. Wait is everything all right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I just want to I just want to know if it was like squishy.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: When you delay keep going a thing like oh I want to start a business, but I need enough money to do it, I feel like like you keep moving the goalposts a little bit.
Speaker 3: I do. I found I found that in my life, and here we are, and here we are, and you've done it. Although I found you know I found here, I'll tellt you. I'll tell you this. I found that in my life.
Speaker 1: Although I there are there have been I will say certain things that I wanted to do where I was like, Okay, once I'm at this particular point in my life, I'll do this. And it did actually work that way where I did. Where once I was at that particular point in life, I will I.
Speaker 3: Will do this.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I'm gonna tell you something, and maybe since you're here and you're talking to everyone, maybe you'll give me your feedback. Go ahead, And I think lately, don't freak out when I say that.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna freak out. Go ahead, or I might but you might freak out.
Speaker 6: I think death has been calling my name in my sleep. Uh, you're so regretting me inviting inviting me on this chair right now. Uh that that doesn't free I tell me what your thoughts are on that.
Speaker 3: It's very funny.
Speaker 1: I hear you say that that might freak me out, because all I fucking talk about on this podcast is existential anxiety and death and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Okay it why do you why is death calling your name?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: My gosh, I just ever since my uncle died like earlier this year, shout out to him. It was just like it kind of felt it creeping up on me. Like sometimes I'll have like still moments and you can really feel time and like nappiness of it. But also how fast, how fast it's going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little it's a little terrifying.
Speaker 6: And I feel like I feel this sense that there's like death looming over me, almost like a cloud, like a cloud looming over me, and it's death and it's calling me, and it's saying, are you gonna pick up the phone?
Speaker 3: Well, well, I mean you die every day.
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Death is not a thing? Death is not one singular event. It's every day. I'm making such a bubber. But uh, it's you die a little bit every day.
Speaker 2: Every day you're a day, you're a second older, you creep a little bit, You're at you.
Speaker 1: Like life is a terminal illness. Yes, it's such a I gotta stop being so nihilistic.
Speaker 3: But what's fair?
Speaker 1: But okay, when you say death is calling your name, does that mean like you think you're going to die soon, or you've just been thinking a lot about death, or you want to kill yourself.
Speaker 6: I don't want to kill myself. Okay, it's not a suicidal thing. I'm not Okay, I'm not suicide. It's sounds like a depressing thing. It's just like, uh, it's more like I can kind of see an hourglass and the sand is sifting down, and every minute I can feel the sand sifting down, and it's like part of me. When I first felt this, I felt like so angry to have been given the gift of life and like how good it is and sweet and amazing and lovely. Yeah, and I almost felt like betrayed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's all going to like.
Speaker 6: Go like, why what the fuck am I?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 1: Okay, you actually, Uh, what you are talking about is the most persistent thought I have been having for the last six months.
Speaker 6: You enjoy your life?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Sometimes I do. Sometimes sometimes I'm like that. Sometimes I hear death. Sometimes I feel what you just described. I feel death calling over me, and I'm like, we had a good round.
Speaker 3: Let's just get it over with, you know.
Speaker 5: I know something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was on Reddit the other day. I love Reddit, and I was on Reddit and this one guy is asking his grandfather like, what does it feel like to grow old?
Speaker 3: To age?
Speaker 5: And the grandfather says to him, it's.
Speaker 3: Like taking a shower, yes, and and the water colder and cold.
Speaker 6: You know exactly what I'm talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw the same Reddit post, however long ago that was. I think about that red post very often. Yeah, I know the exact redit post. Yeah that that spooked me a little bit. But you know it's funny.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. But fuck that guy, because.
Speaker 6: That's a really good analogy.
Speaker 5: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but that's one guy, right, Like I talked to my I talked to my dad about death a little bit. Yeah, and my dad was like, you know, the older I get and the less time I have on this earth, the less anxious I am. He was like, I'm in my I'm having like an existential crisis, and I'm in my dad's I'm in my basement at my dad's house.
Speaker 3: And and he's like practicing his putting.
Speaker 1: He's been playing golf for like thirty years, and he's like fucking doing like a practice swing. And he's talking to me, and he's like, Yeah, the less time I have on earth, the less anxious I feel.
Speaker 3: When I was young, I had so many problems. Now don't I don't really have any problems.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Louis c k does this bit where he's like, you know, I'm fifty two years old. I feel pretty good. When you're young, it's hard you have. You know, if you're twenty, you've got about fifty to sixty years to not be homeless or alone during Yeah, but the older you get, you're like, all right, we're just get We're getting there.
Speaker 3: Pretty good, We're.
Speaker 6: Getting there, you know, where are we going?
Speaker 2: I also like, I see, well, I see older people all over the city too, and doing great.
Speaker 6: I'm not afraid of aging. That's kind of how I like made the distinction in my head. It's like, I see older woman I love I love older women.
Speaker 1: They don't get me doing so well, right, they're not having existential crises.
Speaker 5: But it's like the sleep. It's the sleep.
Speaker 6: It's like the nothingness that kind of kills me a little.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 6: Well, I think we're both in the same boat. You don't have to impart any advice on.
Speaker 1: Me, isn't This isn't advice. This is just we're just pondering. But I was talking to a friend about that. Yeah, I've been talking everyone. Yeah, I've been talking everyone about this. You know, we've been dead for like ever. We've been dead for infinite time. We've been dead for billions of years, so the fact that we're gonna be dead for billions more is fine.
Speaker 3: We're actually more used to being dead than we are to being alive, so it's gonna be a fine. You know, we were not. We spent way.
Speaker 5: More time being Are you prepared to die?
Speaker 3: I'm prepared to die if you.
Speaker 1: If I had to die tomorrow, i'd be terrified, But I did a I'm very happy with how I like have spent my life thus far. I'm like, it's the greatest blessing I could possibly have. As I'm feeling. I feel extremely content with how my twenty seven years have gone. They've been They've had plenty of times of like a terror and anxiety and depressed fear and depression, a lot of bad things, and a lot of sadness and whatnot, but also just such incredible uh charm and joy.
Speaker 3: You know, So, I don't I have no regrets. I mean I I have a few. I have a few regrets. I regret.
Speaker 1: I regret anytime that I was an asshole. I regret times in the future that I might be an asshole.
Speaker 6: What was the most asshole thing that you've done?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 1: But I regret anytimes I was an asshole. I kind of regret times that I was that I was worried, but not even really that was just part of it. I mayly regret times of an asshole more than I regret times that I was worried, because the worrying was part of the journey.
Speaker 3: The journey. Yeah, do you have any regrets? I mean, yeah, do you have any regrets?
Speaker 6: I think I'll I have a few regrats. I'd say, yeah, anytime I've been an asshole. Oh, God, I'm such an asshole.
Speaker 3: But when were you an asshole? Well?
Speaker 6: I can't say that because you didn't even answer mine.
Speaker 5: You just subtly swiched.
Speaker 2: Hold on, actually, let me try to remember the last time I was an asshole, uh to someone.
Speaker 1: I don't know I've been I could remember, I don't. I'm trying to remember specific things. But I've been terse to people, you know the word turs like uh like fast, like yeah, rude, yeah, yeah, I've been addiced sometimes.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: And I think and anytime I was a dick, it was because I was angry. But I was never a dick because I was angry about the thing. I was a dick because if something else that I was upset by that was outside of.
Speaker 6: The Yeah, when you're angry, it's like, okay, I'm an angry person. I can I can be an angry person. I'm calm like ninety five percent of the time. Five percent of the time I'm like really angry for some reason. You're just like constantly reading me as we keep going. And I think that being angry, it's it's more about something that's unresolved within yourself, right, I mean, call me spiritual or whatever.
Speaker 5: But truly, like.
Speaker 6: Truly, I think like, if you're angry, there's just something wrong and you're angry with yourself and this is just a reflection and how you're you're showing it to the external world.
Speaker 3: Oh, I fully agree, but it's not true anger. Yeah, Oh I fully yeah, I fully agree.
Speaker 1: I think if you're to be angry at the anytime I've been angry at the external world, it's usually because of like I'm a bad like what like, if I'm in a good mood, I don't give a shit about fucking anything. I know, there's nothing that could piss me off really if I'm in a good mood, you know. So those are the things I would regret, is times where yeah, I was an asshole.
Speaker 3: But the aging thing is interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at like, you know, I think about it's like look at like I'm mean, look at like the president.
Speaker 3: He's like seventy nine years old or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like still going he's seventy nine, and he's acting like, I mean, for better or for worse, but he's acting like he's just never gonna die, you know. Yeah, I want like, like how often does he fucking think about the fact he's gonna die. He's probably gonna die in the next like, you know, his time's fucking coming. But I don't know if he ever thinks about it, you know, or look at like uh, or look at like Bernie Sanders. Right, he's like eighty three, and he was just on stage at Coachella. Yeah, he was at Coachelle. He's on stage at Coachella to talk about you know, all of his things. And he's still working. He's still doing yeah things.
Speaker 5: It's hilarious, but you know, like and it time.
Speaker 1: It's funny. The people who are having existential crisises tend to be younger people. Older people are just shown. There's there's like seventy five year old dudes at this park just reading the book They're gonna die soon and they're not thinking, oh I'm gonna die soon, and they're just.
Speaker 6: I think the more you grow old, the more you kind of accepted it and you don't care. You're less care free.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like you're dad. Yeah, I think my dad is I was kind of accepted it.
Speaker 6: He's kind of I think so, yeah, I think shower's gone cold, and he's like, all right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I don't well I don't think his shower has gone cold.
Speaker 1: It's why I don't necessarily agree with the showernology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think a shower is going col. I think he's enjoying life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, I was hanging out with my uncle yesterday. He's like sixty something. We were talking about I made this. People listen to the podcast might know that I made this video about, uh, you know, having an existential crisis and death. And I was talking about all these things. My uncle saw it and we were like talking about it, and I was like and I was talking to him and I was like, what do you think happens after we die? And it was like, oh, I don't know. I'll figure that out when it happens. It was like it was like the second I asked him was the first time he thought about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was Actually it was as if the second I asked him was the fourth time in his entire fucking life you'd ever thought about it.
Speaker 5: You didn't even consider it, didn't even consider it.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, that's that's insane to me.
Speaker 6: I've been considering it ever since I was a little girl.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 3: Actually, it's spooky.
Speaker 6: Maybe I've always just been like that. Maybe I'm just two in my head. Some people they don't consider it at all. I know your uncle is one of them. I know incredibly lucky.
Speaker 3: Don't you. You know what's funny is sometimes I like, I'll meet someone like that.
Speaker 6: You know you're like a care free person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you meet someone and you're like, I can you've never how have you a problem? How can you be a conscious being even if you're like, even if you have the best on paper quality of life, I don't know how you can be a conscious being that's never experienced some some sort of like some form of like a profound uh sadness and you And maybe I'm being projective, but yeah, you meet people like that right where you're like you never thought?
Speaker 3: Do I think a lot?
Speaker 5: A thinker?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking all the time. I'm always thinking. I consider myself. It's weird. Sometimes I feel actually very carefree, and then other times I feel uh, very anxious.
Speaker 3: Do you do you think a lot?
Speaker 6: I think all the time. I'm trying to think less though. I think it might be beneficial for me to think less.
Speaker 1: How's your maybe for you too, I'm also trying to think less. Yeah, the pros and cons Yes, you know I was talking to Yeah, there's people I have in my life who think who I don't. I don't think they think a lot, uh, but they live and they tell me you should think less, And I'm like, it's probably true. There's an optimal amount of concientiousness to happen.
Speaker 6: When you were younger, were you always thinking a lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I remember.
Speaker 1: I think this is a right of and you probably had maybe had the same thing happened. This is the right of passage for all uh crazy existential people is everyone. Can you remember a time where you maybe like walk up in the middle of the night and you went into your parents' room and you were like, yeah, I remember this kid like growing up in the Uh you wake up, you get your parents' room and you're like, mom and dad just realized that one day I'm going to die. And I remember my mom going, oh, but that's not going to happen for a very, very long time.
Speaker 3: Did that happen to you that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's happened to me a few times.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Do you talk to your parents about death?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I told them what I just told you. Death is calling my name.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 6: Do you think I should pick up the phone and were She's a very religious person. I come from a religious family, and so we had a priest ob one time, read a priest over one time. And she pulls them aside and she like says this in the most like ominous way possible, and she's like, my daughter has a little problem. Can you just bless her for a second. And he like he's like bowed your head down, and he like does a prayer over me and he blesses me.
Speaker 5: And that was that.
Speaker 6: And then she's like, all right, you're good.
Speaker 3: Did you feel better?
Speaker 6: I feel better?
Speaker 3: Did do you think the prayer worked?
Speaker 6: Another part of me was thinking, like maybe I've been possessed.
Speaker 3: Maybe what religion were you?
Speaker 6: I'm Catholic?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Do you still identify with Catholicism?
Speaker 5: I got a yeah.
Speaker 6: I believe in God really, but I'm I'm open to other you know, debates and interpretations.
Speaker 3: Wait, so okay, So, as a.
Speaker 1: As someone who thinks a lot about these existential topics and about death and whatnot, how do they, uh, how do you think about them through the lens of your religion.
Speaker 6: I've actually never that's a good question, and I've never thought about that. Afterlife you know how I interpret it as lights out, lights off, you're done, it's over.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 6: I've never really considered the idea of a heaven. I think we created a heaven so that we can feel better when our people die.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I personally, like, I don't think I'm embarking on that. I don't think that's going to be there for me, you know what I mean. I think we're all kind of like it's over. I believe in God in the sense of, like, you know, there's something cosmic, there's something watching over us for the time we're alive.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, you think there's something watching over us? Yeah, what do you think that is?
Speaker 6: I think it's God. I think it's a god up there, like an entity, Yes.
Speaker 1: Like a monolith, like a monolithic entity, like it's controlled by one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you can pray to it, you can ask him for whatever.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in, like a traditional like omnis omni omnipotence, omnipotent, omnipotent.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm not god fearing. Some people like, oh, I'm a God fearing woman. I'm from this out.
Speaker 3: No, No, you can't. I don't fearing God is stupid.
Speaker 6: I'm not a god fear. I mean shot out to anyone who is.
Speaker 5: But that's just not me.
Speaker 6: I just I believe that there's something watching over us, and I believe that if you ever need something but it can't be material, I'll tell you how I pray. Maybe that'll be easier. I'll tell you how I pray. I don't ever ask for like a material object or for something to happen, Like if I want to study for a test. I'm never like, oh, I want an a I'm asking for Oh I want the knowledge, or I want the discipline to study. If I wanted to pass the job interview, I don't wish to pass the job interview. I wish that the interviewer has kindness and compassion. Sure, I wish that you know I've had while rested sleep, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's the classic God, give me the whatever, the yeah, the courage, the courage to Yeah. It's like, you don't want the things, give me the things to take on the things. But do you do you believe that there is an entity that is receiving those prayers and bestowing the things upon you externally.
Speaker 6: I think part of it is the entity. And I think part of it is by me saying it out loud, it gives me, like you know what I mean, like a sense of like assurance that I can do this, okay. Part of it's like a confidence thing. Part of me is saying I've done my due diligence to pray and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 3: Do you believe in like a like a like a morality based afterlife?
Speaker 6: No, I don't believe in good or bad people either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't need either.
Speaker 6: I think that's a dumb thing.
Speaker 1: I don't neither only be like I don't believe in that because of like a from like a deterministic point of view.
Speaker 6: It's like it's so like black and white, like oh, you're good, you're bad, You're a bad person, you're evil. Like that's stupid, and I can call the bad person many times and it's I don't know. I just don't think that's a very accurate way to portray people that are very complex.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, I think it's well because actually, you know what sucks about being all uh, you know what sucks about being all like spiritual and he's full and stuff is that it's like like it's so much easier to just be like, I guy's a fucking asshole and just walk away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so much. It's so much easier, you know, on your mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because every because the world is uh, you know, too complex and people are too complex two.
Speaker 3: To really to take in, you know, and to to uh deal with.
Speaker 2: So we have the labels that were like, oh, that guy is an asshole or what that's whatever, because it makes it easier than being like, ah, that person had a bad day or a bad childhood, or their brain is wired in a certain way, and.
Speaker 1: It's hard because you don't want to excuse they. I don't know how much I believe in like free will, okay, like because like you have your fucking uh you were born to your parents with your own brain and even and you can make decisions, But how much of your decisions are your own? Really if they're influenced by so many factors outside of yourself, like who your parents were, or what your brain chemistry is like, or where you grew up, I would do you disagree?
Speaker 6: I don't know. That's I don't I haven't given much thought to it. I'd say I do believe in free will and I'd say, we're only so much. There's like a threshold in which we're influenced by other things at some point. It's just it's just who you are, you know what I mean. It's just it's just I don't ever listen to my parents, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Do they where?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 3: What? Do your parents think about? Like death? Do you do you talk to them about it? In terms of like, well they feel cold showery?
Speaker 5: I never asked.
Speaker 6: I don't want to talk to them about the cold shower because I don't want to freak them out, because then they're gonna send me, you know, like another priest.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Do you still go to a church?
Speaker 5: I haven't gone.
Speaker 6: I haven't gone in two weeks. I will go when I'm I'm moving around right now. So it's a little tough.
Speaker 3: What do they do at church?
Speaker 1: Sactly because I grew up go in a synagogue and synagogue, you know, because it church. At church, I feel like a guy gets up there and he speaks in English and he says a bunch of stuff and in synagogue gets all in Hebrew and I'm like, what does this mean? And they go shut the fuck up and keep reading and the way. I just remember, like we would sing all these songs. I have all these Hebrew songs like stuck in my head. I don't know what any of them mean. I can't tell you a single like when we go to synagogue and we was just singing in Hebrew and nobody ever stopped to be like, hey, by the way, this is what they're talking about. Actually, I remember one thing, okay, uh, what is it? Maybe you know, maybe this is a statement about boundaries or something. Okay, I remember one thing from Hebrew school that I was told something from the Torah, a story about this guy who's like wander He's like lost in the desert and he has a canteen of a little bit of water and he only has enough water for him self. And he meets the sky who's also like thirsty and wondering that the desert, and uh, he's the guy's like, hey, can have some of your water. And according to Torah, it's totally cool if you just don't give him.
Speaker 3: The water and you take all the water. You just have all the water for you. They told me. They told me that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, so it's okay to uh be selfish. I guess I think I think so, I don't know. I don't know if that's I don't know if that's good pr for for US Jews right now. But anyway, what were you going to say?
Speaker 6: I don't know, And I think this is a good stopping point because you have a line.
Speaker 1: There's no lot. But what's your name? And a pleasure to meet you. My name is Lyle. I will I will see you around the universe.
Speaker 3: How are you my friend? Hey? What's your name? My name is Judah. Judah. Nice to meate you.
Speaker 2: I go by struts as an artistrut.
Speaker 3: How's life? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Man? Honestly, it's it's okay. I've been having trouble with my work life balance, you know what I mean? Tell me mare, Well, So I work as an artist. I sell my art here in the park, and I'm a college student. I'm home for summer break, and I also am taking some summer classes as well, all asynchronous and online and whatnot. And there's a lot of other things that I have to do to upkeep my life, like taking my meds or going to therapy or you know, going to a regular doctor's appointment, taking care of chores around the house and whatnot, and I've been having a hard time juggling that and still doing what I feel really proud of and doing.
Speaker 3: Like my art really well or to the highest level of it. What do you feel really proud of?
Speaker 2: I feel proud that excuse me. I feel proud that I can make a piece of art that somebody connects to and that brings somebody joy. And I feel like I can do that lot over and I've proven that I can do that a lot, and I am so willing and open to continue doing that in whatever way. You know, I study new media, so I'm exploring all of these different avenues to go down and it is a little overwhelming at times, you know, and it gets in the way of like maintaining regular relationships with my family members or my friends or the people that I.
Speaker 3: Love, you know, And.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like, yeah, I guess my question would be like, how do you balance your work life?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: How what do you do you schedule? I know you have a unique situation, but I'm looking to get into a similar one.
Speaker 3: Oh, how do I balance my work life schedule?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: You balance your work life schedule by having no life? I mean, listen, let's listen. Listen, brother, listen, brother. I'm single with no kids, gotcha.
Speaker 3: You know I can be I go on.
Speaker 1: Long walks at two o'clock in the morning. You know, I don't have anything else to do.
Speaker 2: But that's but but if you enjoy going on long walks in the morning, that's fine. Like no, I'm sorry at three o'cl yeah, three color yeah, yeah. But that's my point is this, Like, if that's what it brings you, relief for joy or like I'm down to be single and unmarried. If that means that I live a happy life and I don't have to work a job that I hate or X, Y and Z, you know, marriage.
Speaker 3: And kids and a family and whatever, it would be great.
Speaker 2: But it's not like necessary for me necessarily, you know what I mean, what's necessary?
Speaker 3: So what's the what's the life part?
Speaker 2: So you know, relationships with Like, like I'm twenty years old, I'm a college student. I still live with my parents, you know, and there's some tension there, especially because you know, I've had problems with my like my parents and my family in the past. I'm like it comes to a head sometimes when I'm twenty years old and still living in the in the apartment and I'm trying to do my artwork and make a lot of prints of all my different things, and I'm kind of spread out a little bit. And they come home and I didn't think they were gonna come home. They get mad at the mess, and I'm just I don't know. I need I need a certain amount of excess. Excuse me, I need a certain amount of success off of this stuff in order to be able to have my own space and be independent.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially, And well, do you live with your parents in the like city five blocks that way?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, your parents live manh Yeah. Yeah, Okay, here's the thing. You know what here, you know what's funny is normally in a situation like this, it's like.
Speaker 1: I feel for you trying to get out, even if you have, like, like if you have a battle issue with the parents, like your parents don't like hit you or anything. Right, No, okay, all right, all right, because here's the thing. Look, normally, i'd be like I normally i'd be like, if your parents you have a bad relationship with them, I understand why to get out. But your parents live in Manhattan, dude, if your parents live in Manhattan, my advice to you, is I swear on my life in no other in no other situation do I ever say this. But if I were you, I would suck it up and live rent free in Manhattan for as long as you possibly can, live with your parents rent free in Manhattan until you are forty five years old.
Speaker 3: Isn't that the thing that makes sense to do?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: That's that's the thing, Like, Bro, if your parents lived in like fucking New Brunswick or whatever. I get, but like, get out of there, dude, live rent free in Manhattan as long as you can, honestly, like I'm trying to get. Here's my plan, you're ready. I am going to get rich and or famous okay, very young.
Speaker 3: Wor soon? Okay? All right?
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna have enough money to buy an apartment of my own in this neighborhood, and I will continue to be a local, and I'll have like a nice little one bedroom.
Speaker 1: Bro, that's way too much pressure. How much money you need to buy it apart in this neighborhood, and.
Speaker 3: I'll sell you something.
Speaker 2: I don't feel the pressure. I just know that it's coming. I genuinely all the way trust that it's gonna come. Maybe it won't be when I'm super young, and that's fine, and I'm prepared for that and I have backup lands, all right, But I genuinely like, I'm not worried about success coming to me, whether or not it's gonna I'm not excuse me, I'm not worried about whether or not success is gonna come to me. I'm just worried about when and how and how can I make sure that it's what I actually want, how I want to present myself to the world.
Speaker 3: Sure, and like why not? I really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And even if it isn't fame and fortune or whatever, it'll be a loving and fulfilling life, and like, I feel like I can build that off of my art. And you know, one hundred percent strut dot NYC. We're lit, I you know, I I think that's great. And by the way, I actually not this isn't wu woo. I know we were just woo woo for the last however long, But I don't think this is whoah, I think this is actually by like this, I believe I don't know anything about biology, but I do believe this is like of the mind, empirically like manifestation, right because I don't. I don't necessarily believe in manifestation as a way of you put out signals into something outside of yourself, But you put signals into your brain, and the signals and the thoughts you have influence the actions you have, and the actions that you do influence the way that the external world responds to you. And sorry, I believe the manifestation empirically works.
Speaker 3: In that way.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I agree with that, and I want to add on to it as well, sure, because I want to say, like, I think that manifestation works in that if it is something that is constantly on your mind and you're thinking about it and always improving those ideas, you're working on those ideas, then it will progress because you're putting the work into it, of course. And the reason why I really trust myself to become successful and not wear bads because I know that I will always put the work in and I live by I live by a lot of little mottos that I've come up with or accumulated, but one of them is that the definition of luck is the combination of opportunity and preparation.
Speaker 1: Okay, I, okay, I I believe that I do believe that that success is a combination.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's a combination of having luck.
Speaker 1: Well well, well, yeah, success is a combination of having some form of inherent talent, a nice you have to you have to have some form of inherent talent, some form of work ethic and like a lot of luck and a lot of luck can and by the way, a lot of luck. Luck comes in many forms. Luck comes in the form of you know who your parents are. Luck comes in the form of.
Speaker 2: You know, just like, oh, I was prepared in my daddy's nutsac you know what I mean. I mean, I have the opportunity and I beat all the other sperm in the all the other sperm exactly.
Speaker 3: I Yo, everybody starts life out on a win.
Speaker 1: But it I will say that, like I think success does require a lot of luck, Like I think it requires all because that's.
Speaker 3: Why I make my own luck. Because here's the thing.
Speaker 2: The benefit of living intan and Lower Manhattan, and the reason why I should stay here as long as possible is because of the proximity to opportunity.
Speaker 3: Because it's all happening right here.
Speaker 2: And so if I'm constantly preparing and then going out and inevitably I know the opportunity will show up.
Speaker 3: All I gotta do is pounce on that opportunity. And I'm lit. I'm not worried about because here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Whether or not you make the the fifty million dollars that you need to buy an apartment in fucking you know Manhattan, whatever.
Speaker 2: If I got one hundred grand and a good reputation for selling art for that much, I could get an apartment within a year in Manhattan, within a one and a half mile radius of where we are.
Speaker 3: Well numbers aside, who gets a shirt, That's not the point. The point is. The reason I'm not worried about you is because.
Speaker 2: In the pursuit of these things, you'll probably have a lot of fun, and you'll probably meet a lot of people, and you'll probably make a lot of things that you're proud of. One speaking of things that I'm proud of, I actually have a gift that I want to give to you.
Speaker 3: Is that you're gonna me Is that? Okay, Oh you're gonnaar me one moment. Okay, I'm saying one moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll talk to the I'll talk to the audience wall with this is He's calling a man named Matt, would you make.
Speaker 3: I made a shirt. I make wearable paintings.
Speaker 2: Oh, you make wearable painting wear like I made this shirt a couple of get the fuck out of here. I made this shirt a couple of weeks ago, and when I I saw you, it just it made me think of you.
Speaker 3: And honestly, you still go.
Speaker 2: By the therapy get go right or no, yeah, gek therapy, gecko lyle, whatever, whatever it might be, and not only fits your color, but it's it's a person who is in pain but not letting that pain define them and is scratchy, but it's finding beauty in that scratchiness. And I love street art so much, you know, and I because I grew up in this neighborhood. It's been a big part of how I've grown as an artist, and so stuff like this is really important to me, and especially like this is a form of street art and what you're doing right now, and like being on the street and making art and making these videos and interacting with these people, and I love it.
Speaker 3: You know, I study new media and this is very very inspiring to me. Thanks. I want to give you this shirt as a gift.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man. I'm gonna I gotta make this here. I'm gonna make this the I'll put so that the audio listeners can see it. I'll make it the U the thumbnail of the podcast, the audio podcast, because it's funny.
Speaker 3: This is this is like a this is a perfect shirt for me. This feel it's a green.
Speaker 1: Guy with a it's it's a it's a Korean man in a state of existential dread.
Speaker 3: It is such a perfect shirt. Thank you for this. This is this is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful. Yeah, the shirts I'm actually I made the one that I'm wearing right now.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so what is that?
Speaker 1: So we just had a whole long, crazy, constant like talk about existential bullshit.
Speaker 3: This what is this? This seems very existential.
Speaker 2: So this is one of my favorite pieces that I've made recently. It's based off of a painting of the Rapture of Saint Paul.
Speaker 3: And what is the rapture of Saint Paul? What's the story?
Speaker 2: It's one of the saints, he got raptured, he went up to heaven. That's That's about the extent of its relevance to the piece. Honestly, Well, you made a whole thing about the thing you don't know what the thing is about. Well, okay, sorry, what's the relevant to the piece? I spoke too soon? The point being that in Christianity there are these conflicting beliefs that every human being is flawed, and also on the other hand, Jesus will take responsibility for all of your sins and God will see you as perfect. And so it's kind of tearing between this, like perfection in God's eyes and imperfection in the real world, and so kind of the meaning of this is that as Paul gets closer to Heaven, it's easier to see him, and as he is closer to Earth, things.
Speaker 3: Are more muddled.
Speaker 2: It's not as black and white, it's not as easy to tell what is what. And so that was the meaning of this piece a lot of them. Some of the pieces are more complex, some of the pieces are more simple and striking. This is definitely one of the more striking ones. But people really like it and they've been you know, I've been out here. Technically I'm not allowed to sell a peril in the park, which is why I don't sell a peril.
Speaker 3: I don't sell t shirts. Guys.
Speaker 1: Guys, there's a guy walking around selling but just whine out of a cooler, and there's people selling. There's no laws in Washington. Washington Square Park is like there's no law. Nobody has a permit except for me.
Speaker 3: I have a permit. If anyone asks, oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: There often are not often, but sometimes there are.
Speaker 2: Park cops quote unquote, not real cops, but park enforcers or rangers or whatever.
Speaker 3: And they do come because it's a historical landmark.
Speaker 2: So they come around and they tell you, oh, specifically this, you can't display a price, you can't do a T shirt, you can't put the T shirts on display.
Speaker 3: You can't they guys. Should They gotta be super bored.
Speaker 2: To do that. Yes, And they only come out once in a while to just let people know. And it's the same guys. So if they see you twice doing the same thing, then it's a court summons and it's And honestly, that's why I voted for Zoorn Mamdani is because he is working to help street vendors have less red tape to cut through and just make stuff like street art or street food, which is a former street art in my opinion, sure able to be more accessible and cheaper he's gonna make the process for getting a food cart license or food truck license a lot easier to do.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of a campaign that's like a dollar water bottle out of a cooler guys from Mondami.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know what, the dollar water bottle guys, the ones that keep it cool, especially they hold this park on their shoulder. I like the idea of like all like a just like fifty of them in one room. Oh yeah, they they're probably a voting block.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: I bet that there is like the king of the one dollar water guys and he's like a political boss and he tells them to vote for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't are that. You think they're all in a network? Like, how do you get into that? I bet it's RelA you know what.
Speaker 2: I bet it's relatively lucrative because you could buy like if I go, if I go, buy like a store brand case of water, maybe like five bucks for thirty of them.
Speaker 3: That's twenty five bucks a case. That's pretty good. Oh excuse me, sorry, that's all problem.
Speaker 2: That is that is pretty good, but also is like you have to take into account your time, right, Like if you sell let's say five bottles of water. Let's say you sell a bottle of water every five minutes, which is pretty good, right, You're making twelve dollars an hour minus what you spent on the bottles, so let's say nine dollars an hour. It's not great, and honestly, it's not super fun. I see the guys who do it. They're not having a great time. I love them, they're they're my co workers, honestly, because we all work in the park together.
Speaker 3: But I can tell it's one of the less fun jobs to have. How often are you out here?
Speaker 2: I am out here six days a week, but one one week on, one week off. So I come out for six days and then I retract for six days.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 5: What do you? What do you do?
Speaker 3: When you retract? I make more art pieces. I normally only do very limited editions.
Speaker 2: So I'll do five prints of a new design, and then once they sell out, I'll just turn it into a sticker.
Speaker 3: But it'll never exist as a print again.
Speaker 2: Sure, so I spent I spend the week cooking up, you know, fifteen twenty new designs, printing stuff out. I've been because I'm still very new to this. I'm like in my second month of doing it. So I'm still like upgrading all of my stuff. I'm about to have my stickers laminated so that they'll be more scratch and dustproof and whatnot. They're currently they're waterproof, but they're not They're not as good as they could be. And you know, I'm part of an art collective called b YOBF. Shout out Perry Mason, shout out oxy here.
Speaker 3: What is BYO? Well, I'm gonna guess B why Oh, bring your own best friend? You're super closed. It's be your own best threat.
Speaker 2: That sounds depressing, you know what, It's actually really inspirational and it kind of u is parallel to a form of existentialism that I really or nihilism that I really like, which is optimistic nihilism.
Speaker 3: Optimistic nihilism. I love it. Yeah, yeah, we're at we're on that train at a little bit. And so I can give you the backstory behind it. Actually, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So my good friend Perry Mason, who's a successful and up and coming musician, he invited some people that were old friends to a.
Speaker 3: To a show.
Speaker 2: And he invited some old friends to a show and they didn't show up and he got really upset and he went home and he wrote b YOBFB youre on best friend all over his walls and ever since then, that's been the brand, that's been the collective.
Speaker 3: We're working on it.
Speaker 1: Oh, his friends didn't come to his show, so he has to be his own friends. And but do you know what it really inspired me when I heard that song?
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: The idea is, you have to be your biggest supporter. You have to be the person who believes in you the most. You can't wait on somebody else to believe in you. They got their own arms going on. And so you know, it kind of goes into my name Strut, which is all about confidence and about yeah really, what I say about Strutt is is like, if you don't walk out of your apartment or your house every single morning, truly believing and acting.
Speaker 3: Like you are the shit, like you are the best las well you got you, you will never be the ship you. Well, you gotta have a you.
Speaker 1: I think there's an optimal amount of thinking you're the ship and you gotta you know, I mean, no one likes someone who doesn't hate themselves a little bit.
Speaker 2: You have to hate yourself a little bit. Does it seem like I don't hate myself, You probably hate yourself a little bit. All I can tell you I can.
Speaker 1: I can tell you hate yourself a little bit only because hating yourself a little bit is a natural trade.
Speaker 2: I believe of all super ambitious people, yes, and the parts of myself that I hate, the parts that are unable to achieve my creative goals. And like the parts, the good parts come up with all these great ideas, and the parts that are bad hold me back from creating those ideas. And that's why I've been working to work with my problems. You know, one thing that I learned, I learned and as a new media major, I had to take programming class, and I fucking hate programming.
Speaker 3: It's like computer programming. Oh AI is gonna do all that stuff.
Speaker 5: At all?
Speaker 3: Anyways. Point by the way, I just I don't think I think I will do that.
Speaker 1: So I don't think it's gonna take away Like art, though I agree, I don't think it's gonna take away.
Speaker 2: I think that if you, as an artist, are worried about AI replacing your art, you either have to believe in yourself more or make better art.
Speaker 3: I think it'll I think I will probably take away like a lot of commercial arts.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's art. I think that that is just both like commodifiable visuals. That's not art, a lot of commodifiable visuals. But as far as like like like when you go when you buy tickets to see like as a comedian, or when you buy a piece from an artist, you you're you're buying more than just the you're buying, you know, you it's like that.
Speaker 3: It's like it's that person, you know, and only people can be people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when when when the company is like, oh, I need a logo for my for you know, my fucking bank or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's That's that's how I feel about it. To curse. Some say you can curse. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's not PBS work after all. How you guys doing, how do you feel? You know, well, there's a bunch of guys. Why did you get back here? There's a bunch of guys behind us, these guys you love anybody high five bro and war and.
Speaker 3: War piece everybody just.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 1: Send those guys to the fucking the battlefields, you know. I bet I bet those guys. I bet those guys could bring peace to the world. You know what in a heartbeat, one high five at a time, one high five at a time.
Speaker 3: I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Judah Jebediah. Judah Jebediah. Jebediah was a bullfrog. He was a good friend of mine. Who are your favorite artists? Before we go, I'll give a couple of visual artists. I really love Richard Prince. He's very controversial.
Speaker 3: Why why is it controversial?
Speaker 2: He takes other people's artwork and he reframes it. He gives a new meaning, sure and calls it his own and is very successful with it.
Speaker 3: But some people don't like that.
Speaker 1: For the record, if anyone ever, if anyone wants to take this exact podcast and re upload it on YouTube and put like a really grainy filter on it and some low fi hip hop underneath it, if you can find a way to make money doing that, you go ahead.
Speaker 3: I don't give I'm gonna make a YouTube channel doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, grany low fi hip hop therapy Gecko re uploads one million. If you can do that and it adds value to your life in any way, shape or form, then then go ahead.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm doing new media. So I'm studying all these different facets of art and all this.
Speaker 1: If you can do one, if you can do one, if you can make a YouTube channel where it's this podcast but it's got the Simpsons theme on a loop underneath it at twelve decibel volume.
Speaker 3: I don't go ahead, whatever, you know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna use the curve function and make us look like pieces of glitch art moving glitch art.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, and then I'm gonna lower the octaves.
Speaker 2: And when one person is talking, when when you're talking, you're gonna talk really and I really high pitch.
Speaker 3: And then when the guest is talking, they're gonna talk. Fuck it up. Who gives that? We're gonna have so much? Yeah, remix it. I love It's fine. That's a spirit of sweet like people well, people like uh.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes I'm gonna DM where someone's like, hey, this guy is reposting all your reels.
Speaker 3: Awesome. It's fine. You know. It's by the way, that's good.
Speaker 1: That is if if my goal is that I want as many people to see the thing as possible, who gives a shit?
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, it's not like we're getting money off of Instagram anyways. Yeah. Also that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, so I you know, I don't really make money off of like the platforms themselves.
Speaker 3: As a hundred percent. You know what I really like is like YouTubers participating in edit culture. You know what I mean? Yeah, YouTube poops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah exactly, And like the evolution of that, and like I know, there are a lot of YouTubers that will like take a second in each video or in every every show video and be like, Okay, we're gonna edit form for a second and just like flip their hair and have fun YadA, YadA, YadA, and they always watch and repost and like the the and it just creates the edits and whatnot.
Speaker 3: It creates a sense of community and gathering and like that's what art is all about.
Speaker 1: It's funny, like like I don't know, you take like a like like how many times you go on YouTube and you see a Family Guy clip or like a whole like Family Guy funny episode complation and it's uploaded by like Shadow the Hedgehog fifty two or whatever. And it's like if Fox went around and took all those down, that'd be bad. That would be bad for it's good to have it means more people are gonna see your ship, more people are gonna like your ship.
Speaker 3: You know, where do you think we go when we die? Yeah, that's never mind.
Speaker 2: I'm good for that question, right, I'm a smart Okay, al right, you don't have to be smart to answer that question. Yeah, but I think that you have to be open to looking at your emotions instead of just choosing the most comfortable.
Speaker 3: Do you think you can answer it in twenty seconds?
Speaker 1: Because I think if I have another conversation about death, I'm gonna cry my sleep.
Speaker 2: Give me countdown from twenty I'm gonna all right, here's what I think about what happens after we die.
Speaker 3: I think that it doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 2: I think that you should choose to live your life the way that it makes sense for you to live it, and the way that makes other people and yourself the happiest and the most comfortable.
Speaker 3: And if there is a god, and if there is an afterlife, if.
Speaker 2: He disagrees with my morals, then hell will probably not be hell, and Heaven will probably not be heaven.
Speaker 3: He'll just choose the right place for me. So you know that's some quote where it's like any all right.
Speaker 1: It's like if God, if God is the kind of guy that you know sends you to hell fire for you know, masturbating or whatever, then he's probably a dick. I don't want to worship him anyway. That's my that's that's our remix of whatever.
Speaker 3: You know what I you know what I think as like an agnostic Jewish person. Oh you're Jewish? Let mother fucking him? Hi him. It's a it's a Shabbat.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: Friday night. You were actually here for the beginning of Shabbat. Somebody asked me the other day what Shabbat is. I didn't know how to tell him.
Speaker 2: It's like it's time of rest and reflection. And we Jews were very neurotic. We're always running around doing things. We have to take time to reflect and recombobulate and uh, decompress.
Speaker 3: Is anxiety a Jewish thing? Are you anxious? Judaism is an anxious thing. Anxiety is not a Jewish thing? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It's pretty fair to say is a blanket statement. Jews are anxious overall trend, but not all anxious people are juice. Of course, they might enjoy Judaism or benefit from Judaism, but they aren't necessarily jewice.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's like the whole? Do you think it's like the constant, like like we're always like escaping from some bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that that's life, you know, where we're escaping and we're confronting, and we're escaping and we're confronting. That is because doing all of one or all of the other is not fun, reproductive, or healthy. You know one thing that I learned while I was tripping on shrooms my grandma's hot tub.
Speaker 3: You live a hilarious life. Yeah, that to the maximum, to the maximum. Your grandma is a hot Does your grandma live in Manhattan?
Speaker 1: To Grandma, I was about to say, if your grandma had a hot tub in Manhattan, you just gotta you just gotta you know, No, she lives in getting that you gotta get in that will she.
Speaker 3: Lives in upstate New York.
Speaker 2: But I was tripping on chums with my best friend and I was in the hot tub and I felt like this warm blanket of sunlight but then the cool but also the hot water, and I was just it made me realize that like life is about balancing things and like if.
Speaker 3: Little is good.
Speaker 2: More must be better, but not too much, you know, and all of these different things, and I realized that, like, yes, they're the things that I enjoy, but I have to balance them the things that I have to do that I don't necessarily enjoy in order for them to mean anything. You know, if everybody loves each other all the time, then love doesn't mean anything because it's just the norm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree. There is a balance. You can't just like hate or hell in order for love or heaven to exist. Yeah, I guess that's true. Yeah, I guess that's true. I agree. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: And that's and it's kind of what I was just what we were just talking about a little bit with like the like labeling people and whatever. You have to have a little bit of you have to make because again, if you're like all peaceful and spiritual all the time, you're just gonna if you're like all peaceful and spiritual and conscious all the time, you're gonna be incompatible with the actual world that you live in, which is going to the grocery store sometimes and taking ships and saying hello to some guys sometimes, you know what I mean, Like you stop it stop signing like you don't live in the ethereal plane, so you gotta be you.
Speaker 3: Know personal personally, I do my best to live in the ethereal plane every day.
Speaker 1: That's too much. Yeah, I I live in the ethereal plane all day, but I don't like it. One of these days, I just want to be like I like, I like when I'm not in the ethereal plane.
Speaker 2: I what I like to do is I canpartmentalize, so I'll live in the ethereal plane some days and then work so that I can live in the ethereal plane on the other days.
Speaker 1: Like I think I was pissed off about something stupid, and I was pissed off about what was I pissed off from.
Speaker 3: You gotta be like a get go man. You gotta let it flow off your back like water. No, no, no, I I like being pissed off. Now, it's good. That's very Jewish. No it's not.
Speaker 1: I promise it's not Jewish. I promise it's not Jewish. It's here's here's let me tell you why I'm like being pissed off. Sometimes it's because, like like the last you know, all right here, let me tell you something. So there's a bit of a bell curve. I believe to consciousness, and at the beginning, at the beginning of a bell curve is like, uh, like every little thing pisses you, like like a very low amount of conscious Like you're just getting pissed off by everything.
Speaker 3: You're like, Oh, the fucking line is too long at this store. I always cut lines.
Speaker 2: Come on, I don't know why you always cut lines that? Do you really just just most of the that's such a dick move.
Speaker 3: Why do you cut in lines? Okay, you've ever seen the like here here, here's why I cut the line. I can't defend you on that. Most of the time, it's a mob anyways.
Speaker 2: Like if it's like a really organized line and it's big and it's moving fast, fine, right, And if there's like there's like things going on. But like, for example, like when everybody's just moving towards an escalator and it's people are forming a line, Fuck that line, I'm gonna just go on the escalator.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, if if I'll tell you this, if if I'm in a situation where there's a big crowd and we're all yes getting something like we're getting into an escalator, and I see that the most optimal way for me to exist in this formation, and that's the goal that we're attempting it as a crowd, to make it a clean formation. If that goal requires me to be in front of this guy, I would do that occasionally.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: But if we're like if I'm like like, okay, we're like in line at a fucking taco stand or whatever, I'm not gonna cut the fucking taco stand.
Speaker 3: Oh No, that's what I'm talking about. But like, for example, have you heard of the chat and cut? Yeah, it's a Larry David thing. I you chatting, don't know. No, I think that's an amateur move. Amateur amateur move. I think that. No, I'm serious. I'm dead serious. The chatt and cut is an amateur What do you do? What do you do to cut lines? Here's what you do.
Speaker 2: You stand there as if you're not online on your phone, and then when the line moves forward, you step forward.
Speaker 3: No, that's such a dick move. Highly disagree with that.
Speaker 2: And here's here's here. You want to hear some examples of the way of music, because I don't use it everywhere, but I'll give you some examples and you tell me if you think it was addiculation. Sure, the British Museum. Okay, we were online to get into the bare you it was in Britain, in London, Yes, in London.
Speaker 3: Yes. You can't do that. You can't.
Speaker 2: It's even worse. You can't go to a foreign country and start being.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 3: You know you're in Italy. Look, you grew up in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So like if you cut in line at some hot dog stand here, that would be I think that would be a dick move. But to go to a foreign country and start being a dick there makes it so much worse.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 2: The way I feel is like, fuck the British and fuck specifically the British Museum.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: Come on, but it's not hold on. But it's about the people, right, You're not okay, you're not. You're not fucking over the British when you cut in line. Of course, you're fucking over the other people, Okay, But it's you're talking about disrespected in other countries. It's not about the other country. First of all, it's not about it's not about the other country.
Speaker 1: There's other people waiting in the line who want to see the British Museum, and you're not better than them, so you gotta wait in the fucking line.
Speaker 2: Everybody has time tickets, and most of the people in that line I was listening to. I was standing at the back of the line listening to them, and everyone was like talking about how they were trying to get tickets on the way in. And I told the first couple of people and then they left to the other bigger line or left to not come. But then it got to a certain point where it was moving so slowly because every single person was having an argument with them about oh I needed Like I didn't know that I had to have a time ticket.
Speaker 3: You didn't mark this properly, X, Y and Z. Wait, what's another example? I was another example when you cut in line.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll give you another example. I was at a concert and they had a merch table and the concert. Then the line for the merch table was crazy long. I didn't want any merch. I just wanted a poncha because it was raining and it was an outdoor concert. So I stood at the front of the line and asked people like, yo, can I give you five dollars you buy.
Speaker 3: Me a poncha. Oh my god, it worked. It worked, Juda. I mean you have to give them five dollars. It worked, Juda. Judah, I know it so literally, I will.
Speaker 1: I've been like in like I'll go to Chipotle and I'll wait in line for the whatever the thing, like I to get my burrito, and then afterwards, I'm like, oh, crap, I forgot napkins. I gotta ask them for napkins. And some people they cut. They're like, hey, they cut them. They go to the front line like, hey, I just wanted to ask for napkins. Wait in line, yeah, to ask for the napkins.
Speaker 3: Can I be real with you, bro, and I think that my opinion is equally as valid as yours. You're a sucker for that. No, it's a I disagree. I disagree. I like, okay, you know you know what you're like, You're like, I know what kind of okay you have? Do you fly? Do you fly?
Speaker 2: Fly?
Speaker 4: On?
Speaker 5: You fly?
Speaker 3: Sometimes?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You ever get the person who's like you, the person's like, hey, I'm sorry, I'm late for my flight. Can I cut in front of you at t s A? Yeah, I cannot imagine having.
Speaker 3: The goal to do that. I understand it.
Speaker 1: I said I would, I would, I would miss the flight and waste a bunch of money having to get a new one before I did that, not even and and that's that's not even actually I'll say this, And that's not like me being like a fucking holier than now. Guy, that's just me that I mean, that's me social anxiety, not even social anxiety.
Speaker 2: But it's like just to have the nerve. We have the nerve because motherfucker, we all want to get on them. We all want to get to our flights. I think that we are both taking hyperbolic stances that are unrealistic for regular people's lives.
Speaker 3: I know, I disagree. I think you're I think you're wrong. No, I think I don't think. I don't think.
Speaker 1: I also think you're necessary. Okay, let me tell you something. I don't think I think you're one hundred percent wrong. I don't think I'm necessarily right. I don't think I'm necessarily wrong either. But I think you're one hundred percent right. And I can I give you another version of the chapot example. You were, yeah, and I have to go I have to go home.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I cut the line in Chipotle And here's how I do it. I go on door dash and I order it pick up order fifteen minutes before I get that, cutting the line. Yeah, but it is cutting the line. You Okay, go ahead, I'll let you finish.
Speaker 2: It's the same exact thing, because they're gonna get the order and make it. They're gonna get the order before someone who got into the shop before you even thought about getting the burrito has gotten to the front yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's fair. But that's fair because you are taking advantage of a system that the person who is waiting in line could have also taken advantage of.
Speaker 3: You're got, You're got.
Speaker 1: You're operating within the established system, operating within the when you were operating within an established form of order.
Speaker 3: Right when you cut the line. If we take social mediums out of it, we think about you like what's right and what's wrong? Sure?
Speaker 2: Right, the same kind of like financial system that allowed me to make the door dash right, uh huh?
Speaker 3: Pick up. It's just a social system that says that I can't cut in line.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I I really I love this pit and I can't keep it up anymore. I don't cut in line. Wait a bit, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: This whole thing was a bit. Yeah, I love you should wait wait this was a bit. Yeah, I didn't. I just came. It's a terrible bit. How would you do this? Sorry?
Speaker 2: We laughed, we had fun, we love we did laugh. But everyone on the podcast, everyone is good. Everyone's gonna hate you now, okay, that's I'm okay with that. You know, you know, like you're not doing something right if you're not getting haters, and like, honestly, they'll probably they'll probably get game community by like showing each other the video. Look at this dumb ass he cuts in the live. He's an asshole. People will be the overall will be better. And honestly, like when if people clip that, I'll be like, oh if you look at the NS And I was joking.
Speaker 3: And can I can I clip this please? Because I was thinking, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I stick a while we having this antagonic can I actually I'm gonna tell you so, I'm gonna this is I might tell you me a hundred seriously you right now.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, I was like, this would be a good clip, but I know that if I clip it, it's just.
Speaker 1: Gonna I've had I've had a time where I've done this podcast where I was in Portugal and I had this uh lady on and I made a clip of her and I posted the clip and the clip like did well, it performed well, but all of the comments were just like fuck this lady, she sucks, and I'm like, I don't like that's like, that's not what I'm like going for. I don't like feel comfortable with that, Like that's not the kind of like what that's not like what I'm That's really not what I'm trying to be about. So I deleted the clip and I was thinking just now, I was like, this would be a good clip, but if I post it, everyone in the comments is gonna be like the fuck this guy, this guy sucks and I'm not about That's not what I'm about.
Speaker 3: I'm not, I don't I'm not sure. I don't want to like yours get views that way. Yeah, but if you're telling me, yes, I am.
Speaker 2: But if you're saying to me you would you actively I would want to subject yourself to that, then I will.
Speaker 3: Then I'm then I'll consider it.
Speaker 2: I would love if you would consider it, and you could even include a little bit at the end where I said, now, I was just joking. If you felt like that was maybe okay, you know what, you know what I was, you know what, Maybe I could yeah, or you clip you could put in the description like X, Y and Z by the way he was joking or whatever. No one's gonna see that, no, of course, but then you can say, oh, why didn't you read the caption before you said something? You know it's you, you know what, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'll clip it and then you hop in the comments in your merch thing. I love it and then you'll see. But I don't know if that'll work for you. I think you'll get like hate bomb. I think people will get upset with you.
Speaker 2: You know what. And that's more views for me, baby, I love it, and you know what, Like, if you guys want to go on my Instagram and give me some hate, I love it. Honestly. My only request is just be specific about what you dislike. They're no, they don't do that.
Speaker 3: They don't do it. No, they don't. They don't get specific. I'm just like if you guys, If you guys are not specific, then I will be specific. But that's okay.
Speaker 2: I like and honestly, like I love everybody, and I do it for the love of the game. I do everything for the love of the game. Judah, Judah, Judah. Nice to meet you, Judas. Want to say to the people the computer before we go.
Speaker 3: Yo, follow strut dot NYC.
Speaker 2: If you want to see some great, amazing art, come to the Washington Square Park Fountain. I'm here all the time, every other week, six days a week. I rocket, I roll it, I squish it, I squash it. Piece of Love, rock and roll. Nice to meet you, Judith.
Speaker 3: Very nice to lead you. Take care brother.
Speaker 1: What's your name. I'm Belle, Belle, Nice to meet you. How's life going, bell It's it's going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cool. So that we don't have that could be it.
Speaker 5: I mean, how's your life going.
Speaker 3: My life's going all right?
Speaker 5: How's the whole gecko thing?
Speaker 3: So it's just fun?
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 3: It could be it. That could be the whole com week. That could be it.
Speaker 5: I don't know how this works. I don't know how this works.
Speaker 3: How does this work?
Speaker 1: Well? What are you doing in the park? How many people tell you that you look like Raven from Teen Titans a Day?
Speaker 5: Never heard that before?
Speaker 3: Shut up?
Speaker 1: You never heard that, But you've never heard that before you You're I'm talking to her friend off screen?
Speaker 3: Do you or do you agree with that? They said they can see that? Do you? Can you see it?
Speaker 5: I don't know today I got Wednesday, Adam.
Speaker 3: So how do you feel about these comparisons? Do you do they?
Speaker 5: I don't care. I mean I take it as a comp.
Speaker 3: Okay, good god, what do you What are you doing out in the park today?
Speaker 5: Just hanging out with my friend? I mean, I didn't even plan to say this late, but then I don't know. I saw you. I thought you before you had like the Gecko suit on. I thought you were like gonna cosplay Shrek or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I get. A lot a lot of people come up to me when I'm just wearing the like I just have the face paint on, and people are like, are you Shrek? Or someone will be like, oh, are you the Hulk? Or like I get like this I get when I'm wearing the costume or I'm wearing just the paint. I get a rotation of the same five things said to me constantly, and I don't have a clever thing to say back. So here's what I normally say I usually or something like I'll be walking and something like why is your face screen?
Speaker 2: And should be like, I'm a crazy green guy, and I'll just keep walking.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: If someone's like, oh, I've seen your videos and I'm like, okay, thank you, I appreciate it. But if it's just someone who's like, why is your face screen? Sometimes sometimes I'll be like, oh, I was doing interviews in the park. But normally I'll just be like I'm crazy. That, which works too. It's a little true.
Speaker 3: That could be it. That could be the whole conversation.
Speaker 1: No, you seem like you want You've been standing over there the entire time I've been doing this.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know how this works.
Speaker 3: I was just like, you asked me another, ask me another question.
Speaker 5: How'd you get into this?
Speaker 3: Wait? What do you study? What do you do with your life?
Speaker 1: Do you study something? Do you work at something? Do you yeah, fashion or study fashion? Oh you're an F I T yeah, I almost went to F. I t oh what I have to Okay, I was about it. I almost went that by a different film. Oh yeah, we talked about this a little bit. I almost went that by different film. I was talking to my parents about it. My dad my parents were both like, you're gonna be the only straight man at the entire.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 5: I mean, you would definitely be a minority. But that's definitely not true. I will say, if you're a straight man there, all all the girls come to you because there's so many girls.
Speaker 3: Is that true? Is that true? Do all the girls come? Is that how?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: Is that really how that works?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately? Yes?
Speaker 3: Or is it more like.
Speaker 1: Or is it like teacher hot you know where, Like it's like they're around, so they're hotter.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, the teachers?
Speaker 3: Well, like you know what I mean, Like, uh, how do I say this?
Speaker 1: Like okay, whatever, Like yeah, it's because because uh, there's so few men around. You mean, that's that's who you're forced to find attractive. Is just who's there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, basically, But I mean that's kind of what happens. Like I feel like I feel like half the girls sleep with like the same like five guys at least from what I've heard.
Speaker 3: So, dude, what do the guys study?
Speaker 5: They study fashion, all different types of things. I don't know, Okay, I don't I don't talk to the guys that much except for him, and he's gay.
Speaker 3: So what do you think is the future of fashion?
Speaker 5: AI will probably take over and none of us will have jobs anymore.
Speaker 3: So really you think?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean it's already happening.
Speaker 3: So what and how do you believe it's started happening?
Speaker 5: I mean every time I open my phone, I'm like, I'm like, oh, this is a cool like fashion runway, and then I'm like, wait, this is Ai?
Speaker 3: But there was like it's AI is in like like the runway is AI? Or the closer AI?
Speaker 5: Like the whole video was AI.
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 1: Did a human at least prompt it? Because here let me tell well, I guess sorry, let me say here's my here's kind of my thoughts about AI is like I've seen that like the genuinely good things I've seen.
Speaker 2: With AI, because like, all right, you can go into chat GBT, right and you can be like make a dress that looks cool and one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 3: It's gonna make something that's like kind of lame.
Speaker 1: But like the fun the things I've seen with AI that are like genuinely funny, I'm like, Okay, I like I can tell that that like the tools used to make that, to like to generate this, uh, were AI. But I can tell that a human being who is funny must be orchestrating this. But a great example is I think it's called like fat Fellas on Instagram Fat Fella Season or something. It's just like a it's these AI videos of these like ob guys like doing heists and like riding on yachts and stuff, and it's super funny and it's all AI generated, but it's you can tell that a funny person use.
Speaker 3: AI to make it.
Speaker 1: So I guess we could live in a world where like, okay, yeah, people are using AI, but you can tell that there is human intent behind the tools.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I get what you're saying. I feel like half of like the memes on my Instagram or AI now, but.
Speaker 3: It's like but they're funny, but they have they're funny enough where you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah made it some some the ethos of it was created in a human's mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I don't know. Do you agree with that or I do think I'm being bullshitty right now.
Speaker 1: You can fight back by the way you said you didn't know how this works, but you can you can fight back if you disagree with anything I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I mean, I I don't disagree. I mean I sometimes I'm just like scrolling and I think the AI stuff is funny and like sometimes like not even funny, Like my mom always sends me like cute videos to animals that are like obviously AI.
Speaker 3: That stuff I don't like.
Speaker 2: I don't like like I don't like like the AI animals like AI hot girls.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that that makes me cringe.
Speaker 3: That makes it I don't like that at all.
Speaker 5: I like, Yeah, there's like certain things about that that like ick me out because there's like this new thing where like people are like AI like like I guess, like deefaking, like people with like disabilities and like down syndrome for like only fans, Like I don't know, it's like this weird thing.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of yeah, like oh well, there's a lot of like only fans like uh like like where it's like it's like a lady's only fans, she's like chatting with people, but it's not yeah yeah, you know, which makes sense because I think if you're chatting with a lady on only fans, it's ninety nine percent of the time it's not her anyway, so naturally it would lead to the point where it's like, well, none of it is and it's just some.
Speaker 3: Guy creating a thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I mean, I like it seems new now, but like it was, like wasn't it like ten years ago that like that whole little Mickayla thing who like went viral, Like there was this girl, Lil Michayla that went viral for being like the first like AI influencer, like before AI blew up. This was like ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Yeah I know, I know, yeah, I know it's not a new thing, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I I do.
Speaker 1: Wonder how, I do wonder how successful those things will be because I do believe that, like you know, when you follow, like like I was thinking about it to like, like I listened to podcasts and I watch YouTube videos. Yeah, there are some YouTube videos where I'm like, like, if I'm watching a like I watch a lot of like video game trivia shit, and it's like if I'm watching a video game trivia hour two hours of GameCube facts video, I probably won't notice if it's made by AI. Yeah right, but if I'm if I'm listening to a two hour long video of like a guy telling his life story that I'm gonna be able to tell if it's AI.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So it's like these things, the things that are more pure and authentic and personal, I think will persist, and the things that are impersonal, Like I was just talking to that guy Judah about like commercial art will probably be.
Speaker 3: Done by AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I think the art and the things that are like impersonal and inauthentic and surface level will probably be replaced. But the things that are really deep and you know, writing that's very personal and and art, and you know, even visual art and fashion that's it's personal and has stories to it, I think we'll continue to persist because people buy into those things, because they buy into the you know, the human beings behind them. You know, when I'm listening to a two hour long video about YouTube trivia, I'm just trying about about fucking GameCube trivia. I'm just trying to zone out. I'm not really connecting to anything human in that sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I hope, I definitely hope like what you're saying stays true, But like I feel like I've already seen some stuff where like I've seen like these videos on Instagram where they look real and then they're like, oh, by the way, this is AI, Like it's like one of those like street interviews. I guess kind of like this and like sure, it like seems like personal and then they're like, wait, this is AI and they're like look at look at the fingers or whatever, and I'm like, I didn't notice that at all, and it's kind of scary. So like, I hope what you're saying stays true.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but that but the person who's using AI to make.
Speaker 1: The fake video of the person telling the fake story, that's a short term game because they're never are gonna build any I don't think you're gonna build anything long term off of that, you know, like because that's just just like if you're just usn't have to trick people, that's not gonna be a lung. Like I don't think like like people like people are listening to this podcast. We're two human beings having a conversation. If people found out that like this was AI, I don't think people would listen to this.
Speaker 5: But what if this was actually AI and they never knew Yo.
Speaker 1: That would be quite a long time I guess it's true. I guess it's true that people like this could this whole thing could be AI.
Speaker 5: Cause like it's like, you don't technically have to be like this is an AI podcast. So there could be like podcasts and videos out there that are all AI and they're just so good.
Speaker 1: But if you're doing but I think if you're doing something in the long term, people will find out if it's a I.
Speaker 5: Some people are really committed. I mean, if people can be like serial killers and like never get like found out until they're like they die or like ever.
Speaker 1: Then I get I don't know, I don't know. That would be just such a syop. You'd have to do we sure, I guess right. Like so I feel that with like music, like a lot of people are making using aadomic music. But people don't buy into music in terms of like the tracks themselves, right. People buy into the artists. They buy into the personality behind the music. They want to see the tour, they wanna, you know, collect connect with the story. They like the brand or the aesthetic that the artist.
Speaker 3: Is getting into.
Speaker 1: And it's like, well, you could probably fake someone out for a couple of years, right to be like an AI rapper or whatever the fuck.
Speaker 3: But like, I don't, I don't think you can.
Speaker 1: I think that stuff will will probably exist, but I don't think it's gonna wipe out the people who are authentically attempting to make artists human beings.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean there are like AI artists, but they're not like people know their AI, right.
Speaker 3: People know their AI.
Speaker 1: And I assume that the AI artists that are very successful are people who have some level of intention behind their art and are just using the AI as the tools and are not just being like, generate a cool picture for me, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't. I don't know. You never know with the future.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, you know, we gotta know what's your name again?
Speaker 5: Bell?
Speaker 3: You know, we gotta do Bell what we gotta live in the present. Yeah, I mean we can well Bell that Ryan's That's Uh.
Speaker 2: This is it.
Speaker 3: This is the end of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there anything else you want to say to the people the computer before we go?
Speaker 5: I know, have a great day.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for listening to the Therapy Gecko podcasts. Uh my name is Lyle, I'm a gecko.
Speaker 3: This was fun.
Speaker 2: You were here the whole time. Yeah, who do we talk to? What was the name of the first lady?
Speaker 3: Anna? Anna? No, the first guy was Kai was a Kai? No, it was Jay. First guy was Jay. Then it was Anna, and it was Judah, and then it was Bell.
Speaker 1: First time in my entire life I've remembered the names of everyone who's talked on.
Speaker 3: The on the show.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was a good That was a good gang, that was a good We had some good conversations. What do you what do you I mean, what do you think you were standing there? Did you enjoy it as a bystander?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a lot of this stuff I heard. I was like, this is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good enough, good enough? All right, thanks for listening. Gek Bless. I'll see you around the universe. Oh yeah on Friday. What this is coming out Sunday? Oh yeah, this week I'm gonna put out my Tijuana video.
Speaker 3: So go go look out for that. I'm a get go.
Speaker 1: Everything's gonna be fine, Everything's gonna be fine, Belle. This is where it's a long outru I should just end it.
Speaker 5: Right, alright, I see your podcast it as long as you.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, it's it is. It's gonna be over in three two one now