Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode contains spoilers for all of Jessica Jones's stuff, all of their story arcs, all her seasons from the eponymous Jessica Jones television show on Netflix, and.
Speaker 2: For her work in The Defenders.
Speaker 1: I continued, Jesu's under the worst. It's not good, but it's not there's moments anyway, Now.
Speaker 3: Twenty years later, after all we've been through.
Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Jason Eccepcion and I'm Rosey Night, and welcome back to x Revision of the podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture. Coming you from my heart, We're bringing three episodes a week, plus news plus DAWs.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are revisiting those major events from the Netflix series Jessica Jones. Remember when that came out twenty fifty eleven years ago, a totally different time. We could have believe it. We were getting multiple MCU ground level shows on Netflix of all places. Of course, the streaming landscape has changed, but we're here to prep you for what hasn't changed. Before her appearance in dard Evil Born Again Season two, will then recommend a little bit of her comic book history some of our fabe arcs and will predict to how Jessica will respond to a Wilson Fisk round New York. I'm predicting not very well. But first, let's recap those episodes.
Speaker 1: First season one of Jessica Jones, which debuted in twenty fifty to twenty fifty.
Speaker 2: My god, eleven years ago. I can't believe it. Twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: The show opens with Jessica Jones, already having been through a whole lot. Family died in a car crash when she was a teenager. She is severely injured in the crash, and mysterious organization called Igh pulls Jessica out of the wreckage, does experiments on her, and as a result, she has superhuman strength, superhuman endurance, and ability to withstand damage, and she can kind of fly. She calls it guided falling. She gets adopted by Dorothy Walker, a stage mother of the most ambitious and ruthless variety, who takes Jessica in partly as like a promo stunt to promote her daughter, Patsy's television show. But the good thing is Jessica and Patsy hit it off and they become best friends. Then there's Kilgrave Kevin Thompson, who as a kid was experimented on by his parents in order to create like a cure for a degenerative brain disease. And did it work? Did it not work?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: If the goal was to create a person with the power to control other people's minds and make them do things, then yeah great. His parents realized they created a monster, so they fled, and young Kevin, soon to be killed Grave grows up alone, basically learning to use his powers to survive and becoming a completely amoral whoops, don Donna said, I hate kill Grave. She's becoming an amoral, vicious abuser. He finds Jessica Jones controls her for a period of eight months. He keeps her in captivity, essentially abuses her sexually assaults her. But the thing that finally breaks Jessica free is when she is ordered to kill a woman named Reva Connors, who she barely knows and is the wife of someone that later on she's gonna care about a lot. Jessica escapes, she moaves to Hell's kitchen. She becomes a private detective. She becomes an alcoholic. Later, a college athlete named Hope Schlatman goes missing her, her parents hire Jessica. Jessica finds out that this whole thing is probably a setup. She recognizes the outlines of what has happened here. There's a nice girl, this new man the hotel room. Folks, it's kill Grave. He set a trap in order to find Jessica. Jessica gets hope out, puts her on a bush, walks off the bus, shoots both her parents in an elevator under Killgrave's control.
Speaker 3: Kill Grave's back, folks, Dude, that's one of the craziest endings to a model will ever And you Jessica just walking away once again in that horrific feeling of like, this is my fault. Everyone that I try and help gets hut. But of course the fault is at the hands of kill Grave. But yeah, that episode ending shocked me when we.
Speaker 2: Rewatched Very Dark.
Speaker 1: Wow, this whole season is.
Speaker 2: It's so so dark.
Speaker 1: So Jessica wants not just to capture and kill kill Grave, but to essentially he reveal his powers and his existence to the world, to document what he's done in order to clear the names of his victims and hopefully get people to realize that this man is a superpowered villain, and those do exist. Along the way, she meets Luke Cage Bulletproof Bartender. They have a relationship, but of course Jessica's got a lot of trauma. She's got a lot of secrets she can't tell him, and when she eventually does tell him, it's a devastating reveal. Killgrave gets worse and worse. He buys Jessica's child at home. He gets his father, Albert Thompson, the guy who did the experiments on him as a child, to perform a different procedure in order to amplify his powers, which he then goes out and like tag, yeah, no, do that. Hope Schlatman kills herself in prison. It's a terrible moment of agency by her, a desire to take control before kil Grave can take it back. And it's important because it frees Jessica from the obligation to try and save Hope also, and it just frees her to just stop kill Grave. The finale, kill Grave takes over an auditorium. He commands Jessica and it seems like it's working, but unbeknownst to everyone, she has spent weeks building a tolerance to his power because she's kind of understands now how the power works, and she's allowed herself, through controlled exposure, one session at a time, to make herself resistant the way you kind of resist a virus, which is his power works very similar to a virus. She lets him believe right up until the last moment that she is under his control, and then she breaks his neck. He dies mid sentence, mid delusion, absolutely convinced that she is coming back to him and he's dead. A wonderful ending, yes, very very dark, scotic.
Speaker 3: Paul and Larry's Durnock season great, great, just terrible experience to watch that show, but in like a really cathartic way. And of course now we are onto Jason's not faith, but he will defend it the Defenders. He is the Defender Defender, just like I am the Eternal's eternal fan. All four heroes are at some kind of rock bottom when we meet them in The Defenders twenty seventeen. Matt Murdock has quit being dead of or he's gone back to law. It never lasts long, but you know he's trying. He's trying. Luke Caate's just go out of prison. Will they stop putting him in there never that's his curse. Apparently Danny Rand just got back from kodlun Well, and Jessica is just still Jessica. She's still going through it. Her current case is a missing husband, which we know is what she traffics in. John Raymond, an architect married to a woman named Michelle, has vanished. Jessica traces him to tunnels underground beneath a gleaming Manhattan skyscraper called Midland Circle. John Raymond left explosives behind. He wanted to destroy it himself, and that's when we find out that the Hand none other than the iconic Marvel villain group. The Hand is in the tunnels underneath the building, an ancient criminal organization that's been threading its way through all four solo series, converging now because New York sits on one of the last deposits of the substance powering their resurrection.
Speaker 1: This is rituals, this is where is this stuff? Goofy Absolutely, it's so, it's kind of fun, it's kind of yeah.
Speaker 2: But this.
Speaker 1: I will defend it. I will continue to.
Speaker 2: Do I get it.
Speaker 3: You're saying, you're not necessarily this is going the specifics of the resurrection ritual magic running under Wishbusters.
Speaker 1: It's very Ghostbusters and you just wish the hand was better and not run by a white woman. Also, like this is how.
Speaker 3: Weird, especially strange, especially when they had actually already introduced like multiple incredible like Asian, American and Asian women in the in the lead up to the hand reveal. So that white woman Alexander Ree and her weapon is oh bad news for Matt Murdoch. Electra Nacchios's ex girlfriend, who is killed at the end of Dead Level season two and has now been resurrected as the Black Sky. The four heroes come together badly. They attack a hand. They deal with a hand attack at a Chinese restaurant that forces the issue, allowing them to have that big Avengers esque fight for the first time. It takes a little bit long to get there, but works pretty well. I think that fight scene hat stands up and it is pretty satisfying. Jessica's response to learning there are other powered people is not wonder or solidarity, though it is mild dry contempt. She is interested in the case, that is all, though I don't believe her because I know her eyes lit up. Yeah, she saw dead evil Matt Murdoch come on, the Hand needs Danny Brandt specifically, Oh really, that seems unlikely. It seems like the kind of choice little white person running the Hand would make. And Iron Fist is the only one who can open the chamber below Midland Circle. It is Iron Fist and the rest of the series is the four hero is trying and mostly failing to prevent that from happening. Alexandra gets killed by Electra. That's Calma baby who hands. He takes over the Hand and starts acting on instinct love that former Electra pushing through. Matt can see it, and he won't leave it alone because he loves her. The finale goes underground, the fights ugly. Matt stays behind. He's made his choice about Electra and nobody's talking him out of it. Jessica, Luke and Danny get out, Midland Circle collapses. Matt Murdoch is, by all available evidence dead.
Speaker 2: He's that's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: You're never gonna see him again, guys, Sorry if you like that character. Jessica Jonas, who has resisted every step of this, walks back out into the city and just goes back to work in New York and god damn it, we respect her for it.
Speaker 1: That leads us to season two of Jessica Jones from twenty eighteen, also feeling like a million years ago. Yeah, this season is primarily about Igh and what they did, what else they did in addition to experimenting on Jessica, there is a killer who is working through everyone connected to Igh, eliminating them before Jessica can talk to them. The killer is Alyssa Jones, Oh, Jessica's mom, who Jessica believed was dead in that car crash seventeen years ago.
Speaker 3: Except crazy.
Speaker 1: Alyssa's injuries were so catastrophic that Igh's treatment took many, many years to work, and when she came out the other side of it, she I guess you would essentially say, has like borderline personalities interest She goes from a very loving, like generous mom to like a ruthless killer.
Speaker 2: At the drop of a hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really interesting choice, and it's one of many that we get in season two where they kind of start to bring about different versions of is that we've seen before.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, so Alissa has spent this intervening seventeen years trying to kind of manage these wild swings in her personality with the help of doctor Carl Malice, an igh scientist who experimented on both mother and daughter and with whom she has fallen apparently sincerely in love with.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no baby. This is bad news.
Speaker 1: It's not as there's a lot of problems with this, but it's hard to explain that to Alyssa in her current state. Meanwhile, Trish is spiraling separately. She is feeling like she doesn't have agency, doesn't have control of her life, and she really wants powers. She's always wanted them. She wants to be a superhero. She gets access to combat enhancer that turns Simpson into a liability. She uses it, she gets addicted and tells herself everything she's doing is to help Tessica. Jerry Hogarth finds out she has als. She gets conned by two people who offer her a healer and then rob her.
Speaker 2: And leave her disy.
Speaker 3: Also, like I do, I will say did completely forget to shout out that there's a lot of like hot Trinity action lesbian action in the first season of Jessica Jones, which you know does does continue here.
Speaker 1: Yes, Malice dies Alica escapes, Jessica goes with her towards Canada with the police, you know, hot on their trail. Alyssa pulls over at a fair ground she and Jessica visited when Jessica was a child.
Speaker 3: Then Trish shoots her because she's been taking that nuke, that crazy taking.
Speaker 1: That new mothery, and she tells Jessica she did it to protect her. Jessica and Tricia's friendship continues, It survives, like.
Speaker 3: Those two are so fucked up by Tricia's mind.
Speaker 1: Of course, Jessica is more alone at the end of season two than she was at the beginning and even at the beginning of season one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that takes us to Jessica Jones's last on screen appearance, Jessica Jones Season three from twenty nineteen. The villain is Gregory Salinger, an unpowered serial killer, formula champion wrestler, and a man who has built an entire philosophy around the idea that exceptional ability is cheating, that it devalues human achievement, and the gifted people of frauds who deserve to be exposed. He is methodical. He understands evidence and how to avoid leaving it he studies Jessica specifically and adjusts around her. And honestly, I gotta say, Jessica, you were really gonna get this happened into you at some point, because you've just been going around lifted around cars.
Speaker 2: Like even after the Battle of.
Speaker 3: New York, when everyone was pretty like anti the events and the superheros, you were still just like throwing a car, like threatening a guy with laser eyes. So this was probably gonna happen for you. Now Trish has those powers, she has those enhanced reflexes, that agility, night vision, the kind of feline precision that the comics will call hell Cap because that is who Patsy Walker is originally. And the take that they did is very interesting on this notion of her being kind of a fictionalized version, just like she is in the comics, but here she's the fictionalized version pushed on by a kind of fame hungry mother. It's very interesting. So now we have another superhor vigilante on the streets, hell Cat, and then Salaja is like, I gotta do something about this. I'm sick of these vigilantes. This is sounding very akin to what we saw Wilson do in Born again, so I think we could definitely see some parallels here. But he breaks into Dorothy Walker's home and murders her. Dun, dun. It's Trish who finds the body, and that is it. She's over it. She stops trying to work within any system. She hunts Salndary down, finds him in a courthouse elevator and chains and kills him. Wow, not even able to defend himself.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 3: And Jessica, who is kind of spent the whole season holding Trish back, is now kind of having to face what season two asked her to face, which is like, Babe, your friend just shot your mom in the head, Like, got to do something about that. So she just to expose Trish publicly. Not the way I would have dealt with it, but you know, go for it, Babe. Turns her into a fugitive, very Spider Man esque, turns her into a small airport on Long Island, where Trish is trying to flee the country in a coffin, literally in a coffin. This is so Sunset Beach, Like, I love this insane plot. Like in the final confrontation, Trish tries to stab Jessica through the chest, but Jessica lets it go through her hand knocks her, you know, kind of adopted sister and best friend out, and then Trisha ends up in the raft. Bro I feel like that was kind of hardcore, Like, I mean, the raft is crazy. Yes, that's where they put the Avengers when they won't sign the fucking like so Kovia accords. This woman just like stabbed a couple of people that have us all the time. But very interesting. I definitely think this is one of the ultimate threads that could be brought back because we are going back to the raft. Also, we know they're trying to fill those damage control prisons. We could see prisoners from the raft less important prisons.
Speaker 2: And up there.
Speaker 3: Jessica then hands over ALIAS investigations to Malcolm her kind of ally throughout this, she goes to a bus take and buys a ticket to El Paso, Texas, and then she stands there hearing kill Grave's voice. It's really just her PTSD, don't worry the anxiety of it, given strength and sound, and he's telling her, yeah, give up, like go away, this is what you should do. Run away like you always do. You're right, And in that moment, she turns around and she goes back to New York because she's like, fuck kill Grave and fuck PTSD, fuck ol Paso, Texas too. I guess she's like, I'm staying in New York. I'm paying forty five hundred dollars for rent. It's important.
Speaker 1: Let's say a quick break and we'll discuss the lasting legacy of Jessica Jones Seasons one, two, and three plus The Defenders.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: First of it's crazy, it feels like this show came out a lifetime ago. This was like the heat of Me Too, and this show was responding to it in a way that it feels, I mean, rewatching this, it was like I'm back in that time. I felt like I was back in it. The show grapples with those kinds of with that kind of subject matter, the idea of trauma, the idea of trauma related to sexual assault, control, coercive behavior, getting people to believe you, and turns it into really gripping, a dark drama. I think it absolutely stands up, but it's also like, it also feels like such a it's crazy to be like, God, I wish we could go back to twenty fifteen a little bit.
Speaker 3: TI Generation definitely kind of deal is kind of like we remember that arrow at twenty fifteen we were like, oh, that was like we're doing some stuff was happening, And from twenty sixteen on whatevery year, we're like, wait, let's go back man, Like I think that was the last one. It does feel crazy to watch a show like this that was just roundly celebrated when it came out. There was no controversy. It was not like it's well, I'm sure there was a little bit, but the conversation was not it's too woke, it's anti men. It was a conversation going, wow, here is a show that has been adapted by women from comics made by men that had their own subversive, radical nature, but also needed to be evolved, just like Jessica Jones as a character will need to be evolved. And some of the choices that we were made in season one of Jessica Jones, especially around Reava and Luke, those still don't hit very well for people. And that's a project of its time and who made the show too. But it did feel like it was moving in the right direction. It was the ark of justice is going towards like you know, justice not the other way. So I think it feels crazy to watch something and just be able to feel like wow, like this is so definitively about how wrong this man's actions are, and it uses superheroes as a way it's always been done to tell this really analogous, powerful story. I found this stuff with Hope in the first episode so heartbreaking, because there's that moment where Jessica goes into the hotel and literally has to drag her out of the room and she's going, I can't leave, and she's screaming and she's holding on, and we know it's because kill Grave, not kill Manger. He would never do that. A radical man. Kill Grave has programmed her and that is why we know she's doing it. But the response looks like a woman who is so scared to leave her abusive partner that she doesn't want to leave in case she gets in trouble or something happens to her or she upsets him. It's really visceral stuff, and I think it really does feel like it has so much more edge and so much more grit than what we get now in superhero shows in general, and it's very interesting. One of my favorite things about watching these odd shows is seeing what they were allowed to say and not allowed to say. Like you don't get a lot of character mention names, don't get a lot of stuff about you know in the comics, as we will get into, but like Jessica Jones was originally going to be Jessica Drew, so there are all these Spider Man connections but obviously couldn't do that. We have these connections to Carol Danvers, but she wasn't in the MCU yet. So it's really and this is when you know, Jeff Loebe was still running TV and five you was still running the movies. So it's also this really interesting historical time piece of how they worked around those kind of issues and write and legacy and license, which, by the way, guys, as me and Jason always say, is one of the reasons that MCU is so amazing because it was working against all of those things that was causing them to be interesting. Do different takes take from different places. So I think you really feel that coming through, and I hope that it can bring a little bit more of that grit back. I also just thought the banter between her and Luke was so good, like that just struck me. This is great flirtatious writing.
Speaker 1: This is why I like Defenders, because even though the story sucks and they did a bad job with the hand and many other things, the banter between the heroes is legitimately fun. Like the restaurant attack is fun. The way they all kind of like work together get to know each other begrudgingly. The way they make fun of Maks the only one wearing a mask, is like legitimately fun. And they had Greek chemistry and that it was part of what made Jessica Jones so fun, particularly season one, which I think is among the best things that Marvel's ever done.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely.
Speaker 1: Sadly, I think season two and three hold up less well.
Speaker 2: Dea I wonder.
Speaker 3: I think they make a lot of choices around, like trying to bring in women antagonists that don't necessarily work. I think that they got a bit worried that if she had too many women, she couldn't be depressed or something, so they thought killing him all off. I don't know. Okay, but speaking of that, let me ask you, what do you think the odds are of like a Trish return. If I'm giving you like three characters that I think could return and Born Again. I'm going Trish Night nas Luke Cage. What's your ranking of likelihood that we'll see them in Born Again?
Speaker 1: I would put them all at fairly even odds to return. I think that Trish first of all, as we talked about in our Spring look Ahead Television episode, I think season three, while not like a great season of comic book television, has a lot of things that the MCU can build on going forward, namely the raft and Trish being in there and the kind of anti superhero yeah, the street level consensus that maybe superheroes aren't great all the time that is just kind of simmering at that moment, and so I think bringing Trish back, like is she still in the raft, like what's going on? Like, I think it would be that would be a really cool thing to pick up. The Night Nurse is somebody who, let's be on honest, needs to just kind of be lurking in the background of all of these street level Marvel shows.
Speaker 3: It's the ultimate suspension of disbelief thing. She's always fixing them up, so.
Speaker 1: You know, she's always there. So I kind of feel like maybe that character has the best shot of just always being in a Marvel Street level something, and Luke I just want him back.
Speaker 3: Luke I went back to also Mike Cult, you know, unbelievable in one of my most underrated TV shows, Evil. I just think he has so much more range than he was even allowed to showcase in that. I also think that the MCU has While in some ways we know that there have been issues with the quality or consistency, I also feel like the ideas of the kinds of stories they tell and the kinds of people they let to be in different kind of stories is so much broader now. I think all of those characters would be really great at that. Okay, another question I was thinking the whole time I was watching this, Jason, obviously you got wait a second, you're thinking about news stories, you're thinking about mysteries. What is left in the MCU that the gen pop of the MCU don't know that you would want Jessica to be solving if she comes back in, Like what detective stories are you putting out there for her? Like what mysteries can she still solve? Because obviously now that line between cosmic and chaos and multiverse is like a lot closer to the ground level stuff. But what would you most like to see him kind of investigating.
Speaker 1: I think that there's a lot of ways to tie in doomsday and a post doomsday MC reality to street level stuff. It is kind of inconceivable to me that Doom hasn't visited six one six a few times, you know, to just whatever, gain intel, do research, get the lay of.
Speaker 2: The land, look around.
Speaker 1: Maybe he did something that looks like a weird, mysterious unsolved crime that actually is doctor Doom lurking around on the streets stuff, stealing a thing that he needs.
Speaker 2: You know, for his mission.
Speaker 1: And I think Jessica kind of stumble on something like that could be really cool that would lead to you know, would just be one threat. You wouldn't really need to pay it off, but it'd be a good way to seed stuff happening in the future. And honestly, that's how the comics do it. You know, exactly when there's like a big event, even if a tangential character is not involved in whatever crossover event, you'll often have little easter eggs dropped in there that are like, oh, this will be more will be said about this in the up command.
Speaker 2: Big event.
Speaker 1: And so I think you can do stuff like that with Jessica, just have her stumble across interesting evidence, weird investigations that that lead to Doom.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah. I think that's a really good idea. And also I think that something that we can do here is essentially like we were talking about in Offspring TV. This is kind of giving like Dave Filoni expanded out the MCU, I mean, expanded out Star Wars with you know, the Clone Wars. This is a way for them to give us a little bit more knowledge about the Netflix world and what is still there and what isn't still there, the same way that Born Again did in such a great way in the first season. So I love that. I would love to kind of see them seeding these strange things that are eventually gonna pay off. Because if you do have, you know, a super being, if it's got Emperor Doom or if it's just super intelligent Doom from that area with his magic, you're gonna be traces of that. He's gonna be leaving traces of that around the MCU. He's gonna be causing strange problems, little issues. I would love to see Jessica go on something that seems like a very routine case but ends up being like strangely accult or strangely connected to Doom. That would be really fun.
Speaker 1: And on a more kind of day to day level, we don't know if Jessica was blipped or not, but oh I could see her. I could see her spending time investigating disappear of people were blipped, what.
Speaker 2: Happened to them? Or she's doing did they have.
Speaker 3: People who were blipped who never came back? That would be great kind of missing missing people's question, also a really great way for them to you know, one of the shows that I know not everyone looks fondly back on, but we were really enjoying when it was coming out was The Joyous Joyous She Hulk That was just so much fun and had so much humor. And what I thought they did really well that we can look back on and take from that, and I hope they were doing these upcoming shows, is how they used day to day kind of business of the law firm to introduce multiple Marvel characters. Jessica can do that through looking for those missic people. You know, as she's exploring, you can get your three D men or your kind of funny whatever weird thing that you were really interested in. I think there's ways to do that. So I think that's a great call.
Speaker 1: You know what else she could do? I'm right about this. Right in She Hulk, did we discovered that the sokvia Of cords were repealed?
Speaker 2: Yes? They were about so.
Speaker 1: Where's Trish? Does that mean that the legal basis for detaining Trish is gone? And what if Trish never shows up? And what if Jessica's like, well, where the fuck is trishman disappeared to you? If you can't keep her anymore?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and then what about this? Because this is just we're just riffing, so Marvel, yeah, hire us. But that could lead to your discovery of the X Mansion is basically a place that Charles Xavier has taken in not only mutants but also superpowered people who wouldn't sign up for the Sokovier cords or on the run. So I think you're right. There's so many interesting things. And it's funny because when you watch the show, it feels so separate and so different and so isolated, and it's in a way that is all complimentary. That was the point, but when you actually start looking back at it, I absolutely understand why. The storytellers and execs and everyone at Marvel was like, oh wait, there is so much to pull from here, Like we got to bring her back, and her and Mass so good together.
Speaker 1: You're so good together. I'm really excited for it. Okay, Le's seek a quick break and we'll be right back with you giving us some comics recommendations for fans of Jessica Dreams.
Speaker 3: And we're back in this very serious segment called where did You Come From? Where did You Go? Where did You Come From? Comic book character Jessica Jones. Although she is I would say best known for her stint as part of Netflix's You Know MCU affiliated now at least somewhat MCU official Defenders team, she first debuted as part of the very edgy early Marvel Max imprint. I had a lot of fun rereading this. For this, written by Brian Michael bendis obviously Marvel legend and drawn by Michael Gatos, an icon. The story had at one point originally been considered as a Jessica Drew relaunch as part of the Marvel Max imprint in two thousand and one, post the comic book Boom and Crash, Marvel was doing a lot more crazy ideas you've heard us talk about, you know, Franken Castle, Frankenstein Punisher, stuff like that, and a lot of these Marvel Knights, Marvel Max. They came out of that tumultuous time where they could try other stuff. So it became quite clear that it would probably not end up being Spider Woman. Maybe because and this is a real quote from Brian Cronin's legendary comic book Legends Revealed kind of comic book folklore, truth or no truth, kind of the early snopes of comic book news. This is a real quote that Brian Ben has said for his vision for this book originally was a pornographic dial h for hero. So you can imagine why they might have been like, maybe not Spider Woman.
Speaker 1: The first ruler of the comic is fuck exactly, and you're gonna learn more because this is the thing.
Speaker 3: So then you start to realize they need a different character. He decides he's gonna create a unique character, Jessica obviously still named after Jessica Drew, but Jessica Jones, who is no longer you know, Spider Woman, but is still a PI. And that enabled him to make the very controversial comic that would become a talking point because of its very hardcore sexual content. Inserting Jessica interestingly into interesting important moments through Spider Man history because of her original connection to Drew means that in the comic, she is there revealed to be there when Peter gets bitten by his radioactive spider Bendis was also able to lean into the original inspiration because Jessica Drew was a PI and that was where the comic came from. So now he had a completely original character with connections to an iconic hero and none of the worrisome ties to a more prudish time, which men he could do what he really wanted, show Jessica Jones getting railed on page by Luke Cage. That is really what this book is about, guys like that is what he wanted. That would happen in the very first issue with a multiple page sex scene of her get fuck from behind. It's very, very very graphic, immediately establishing that this wasn't a comic for kids, bi bang Pow, etc. The series would then quickly dive into Jones's past as a superheroine known as Jewel. This series is called Alias by the way, alias number one is where she debuted. You can read this on your favorite Marvel Unlimited or Libby app. You can even grab a trade and we get into some of the stuff Jason talked about from the TV show. She's Jewel, a young superheroine with a bright smile and offensively cheery costume whose peaceful life as a young child was destroyed when her family were killed on the way to Disney World crashing into a nuclear radioactive waste truck very similar to Matt Murdock's powers, and she is eventually adopted by seemingly kind parents who put her back into school and they seem to be up and up for the Radioactive Team, but her costumed career ends into tragedy after she tries to stop the nightmarish psychic villain known as Kilgrave aka the Purple Man. Fans of the show will know where that story goes, But what you might not know Marvel didn't actually have the rights at the time or the guts to have introduced a big screen female hero. So in the comics, Jessica Jones is actually saved from Kilgrave by none other than Carol Danvers, who is the only Avenger who knows who she is, and then she is taken to the X Mansion to have a psychic block put on her brain by none other than Jean Gray to help her protect herself against Killgrave. I love the version needed in the comics where they give her a bit more agency, but obviously we love Geen Gray, so that would have been nice to see in the comics. She would later on go along to fight alongside the Avengers, she would get married to Luke Cage, they would have a child who would go on to get babysat by Squirrel Girl and It. But even with all of that kind of juicy jaunty stuff, it was really her dark and noir drenched original series that fans remember. That doesn't mean she hasn't been active though, as you may have spotted Jones in the original Young Avenger series. She's like one of the few serious adults. We have multiple events that she's featured in, like Civil War, Dark Grain, and Secret Invasion, and she even got her own superhero man during the twenty tens, taking on the name of power Woman because she was married to Luke Cage power Man. Most recently, though, and most excitingly, Sam Humphries the writer this year has pited her against Slash, teamed her up with one of my favorite characters from Dead ebul kanan typhoid Mary, in a Hannibal like the Esque scheme to catch a new nefarious serial killer in the re released now new Alias series called Alias Red Band, which is that really super violent stuff marb has been doing. So that's a little bit of comic book history about Jessica Jones and where you can find her. Jason, do you remember the first time that you read Alias?
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I do. I read it in the comic book store because I didn't have money. I didn't have a lot of spending money at that particular time, so I was doing a lot of standing in the comic book store reading stuff.
Speaker 2: As it came out.
Speaker 1: And then later on I did buy the kind of like Max Compendium, but this would be after mister Bendis had kind of like ascended to being essentially like the creative the main creative force at Marvel for the early parts of the of the two thousands. So it really left an impression, you know, it was reading that at the time I had I was not like super aware of Bendis. I had, I had who had become most familiar with his work through Daredevil. But the thing that like still strikes me about Alias and Bendis's like work even to this day. I think Bendess is great. I think I think he did a lot to revitalize Marvel, like a lot, a lot, a lot, and his influence on the early MCU is something that you can't you can't can't be denied, can't underrate it, like particularly Tony's relationship to the Avengers and Steve et cetera. Like a lot of that groundwork was was laid by Brian Michael Bendis. That guy loves to pack the words.
Speaker 3: In man, he loves writer, and he's also he's just a white guy doing his best. So there's a lot of stuff in there that you know doesn't always hold up. It is a dense book, and I would definitely say for some of our audience members like take in account the trigger warnings, read about the stuff that's in there. It's a very brutal book, but it was very different for the time. And I think something that again really stood out to me on Rewatch the first season of the show is really quite similar, Like there's a lot of character imaginings. Yeah, with introducing stuff, but the meat of it, and even like the opening and the broad shape is really akin to it, which is a fun experience if you're someone who hasn't gotten to see something that's been that closely adapted. Because obviously a lot of our Infinity sagas and our kind of civil wars are very loose takes on what the comics that they were originally based on and have kind of shifted over the years. But the early stuff of Max and this is really really similar, really really similar.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of our.
Speaker 3: Favorites Jones, Jones moments or stories from the comics.
Speaker 1: Well, I would go the original alias, I think for introducing Jessica Jones. Then I would say the Pulse.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was gonna say, let's talk a little bit about that, because that's part of our history I didn't really get into.
Speaker 1: So the Pulse is like how Jessica moved from the Max universe to the mainstream markets.
Speaker 2: Basically, she takes a job.
Speaker 1: As a consultant at the Daily Bugle and is working with everybody's favorite to put upon journalist in New York City, Ben Europe, and I think it's a break and they're working on like a like a superhero centric column called The Pulse that's gonna like report on everything going on with superheroes. It's like it's like part trade magazine, like the Hollywood Reporter of Variety and part TMS, but also part like hard news. And it was just really cool, like a really cool approach to the character. I love Ben Urick, I love the Newly Bugle, I love that stuff, and so I thought it was a I thought it was a really interesting way to integrate her character into the main Marvel time.
Speaker 3: That's such a good point because also what's really unique about this book is the ability for Marvel to trust Brian, Michael Bennis and Michael Gatos to do this book as well to do the introduction, so it's still very much in line with Alias. We get to see more of Jewel here. This is just such a fun idea for a book. I was very influenced by The Pulse when I started my DC Dish column at DC, where I basically became like an in universe gossip columnist. I love that one great call. I'm also going to shout out the New Avengers. There was a New Avengers, great y'all with Bye Brian, Michael Bennis and one of the best right artists to ever do it, Olivia Koypel. We love him so much. He's so unbelievable. And you get this really great marriage issue in that one. It's a marriage story about Luke Age and Jessica Jones. The art is stunning. You get to see baby Danielle, you get to see the Avengers Tower wedding, and it's just some really interesting fun stuff that then led into you know, these big seasons.
Speaker 1: That's the wedding issue, right, it's so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would then go with.
Speaker 2: Blind Spot.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Kellie Thompson and Mattia d a Eulis.
Speaker 3: I believe this is I love Kelly did such a good job on.
Speaker 1: This book, did a great job. And I believe it's the first time that Jessica Jones was written by someone not Bendus.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also think it's the first time that she This was when they launched a Jessica Jones series rather than Alias series.
Speaker 1: And that one was fun. It didn't I think it only lasted like a year and a half, but a good run. There's some uh the investigated stuff, the kind of long running arts are good. There's some like bottle Ish Shoes that are not so great. But I thought, but it proved basically that like Jessica Jones is not like a one off, it's anybody could write her, Like if you have a good idea, then yeah, give it to you know, you can use Jessica Jones. It's not just Bendis who can who has like the trademark on the character.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, they actually did like a Bendis Defender's little arc when the Defender's Show came out with Luke Cage with Iron Fist, with Jessica Jones with Dead Devil in the black and red suit with art by David Marquez. That is also really fun. Like they were doing a lot of stuff around the Marvel comics because this was at the time when they wanted to highlight the characters who are owned by Marvel and who they were making money off, so they would still make comics to tie them in, whereas they wouldn't necessarily make comics if there was you know, a Sony spider Man movie, et cetera. Some other fun ones Jessica Jones and the variants. That was a gel simone one where it was kind of this idea of like a team of all the characters she could have been. It's kind of like a time loopy, sliding doorsy sort of story. So yeah, there's a lot of fun stuff, and that new Jessica Jones book is really cool, so definitely, yeah, check out that Alias Red band right now because that's a really fun one to get into before the show comes back.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of X ray Vision, we're going to the Sun, the Sun diving into Project Tale Icarus. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wax.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator