Speaker 1: Learned enough small talk to know to just like follow the score and then be like, that's this goddamn pitching? Or what happened to their bats? Their bats fell asleep? Huh man? They called Bruce Wayne, Yeah, what is this the batcave? Because the bats fell asleep? Here is that? That's probably not? What what is this? Wayne Manor because the bats fell asleep? What is it? What is it three in the afternoon? Because I think the bats are asleep? What am I? What? What? What is it?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Am I? What? What?
Speaker 3: I just watching that first game though, too, I was like watching Yamamoto pitch, even though he wasn't on the team last year, Like we just we just don't do well when we get smacked in the mouth early on, like when it's in the postseason and there's like barely.
Speaker 1: Pull it off like in Game one. But we'll see different energy like another city that has or like even another team like the Mets, if they start having postseason success, it's like this wave of like energy and excitement. But with the Dodgers, it's just like disappointed expectations. Like if they you're just like especially now, yeah, you're just rolling in being like they better fucking do it tonight, you know.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's almost I think like American professional sports.
Speaker 1: It that's just what happens too.
Speaker 3: Like there's just momentum that builds. It's never about like you have to truly be an underdog for like your whole fan base to be like to have that kind of mental resilience to be like, no, we're gonna be all right, We're gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something has to like switch in the whole, like dynamics, the metaphysics of like baseball fandom. For like them to just not feel like there's like pressure on them is like my kind of vague psychoanalysis, like what's wrong with them? I love that look. And yeah, we're gonna throw shit at you from this lost start kid.
Speaker 3: I mean still, I'm pretty sure Dodger Stadium is like the worst place to go to if you're not.
Speaker 1: Wearing a Dodge Dodgers fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could go to like a Beyonce concert and wear like a Twins hat and get jumped somehow, like just because it's at Dodger.
Speaker 1: Statement like that, Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trend edition of Guitar. Yeah, yeah, this is a productive of Art Radio. It's the show where we take a deep dive into American share consciousness, and it's the episode where we tell you what was trending over the weekend. We also tell you a little bit about ourselves by telling you an overrated, under rated. I am Jack O'Brien. That over there is Jack O'Brien, mister Miles grow and I'm Miles Gray this week, yep, you're my your I will be playing with Miles Gray this week. Thank you so much. I'm actually Miles Gray is understudy, but I'm you're nailing it, by the way, Steve, You're nailing Thanks so much. Just Miles is and credible.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Banjo, Eric really looking forward to another sick week talking about Arsenal and Weed.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, yeah, that's pretty good. Pretty Your name's.
Speaker 3: Me, Miles Lakers, Weed, Arsenal, Japan rap.
Speaker 1: Sneakers.
Speaker 3: All right, gotta go cold brew. Thanks for that, producer, Brian, I mean Brian the editor. Fuck I'm getting I'm still learning the part. I'm still learning the part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's Brian the editor. But we'll we'll we'll fix that in post Man and we'll pitch you up a little.
Speaker 3: My favorite topic, cold brewed coffees.
Speaker 1: Kind of sounded all right. Miles quotes. Let's let them get to know us a little bit better by telling them something we think is underrated, something we think is overrated. A dealer's choice where you want to go? Uh, let's do over over first? Yeap ye see that? Yeah, let's do it. I liked it. Look, I'm playing the part of Myles.
Speaker 3: I'm just letting my wings just spread wide, and I'm saying, let's just just do it.
Speaker 1: Reverse, let's go, let's go over all right, you want to start, you want me to start? Why don't you start? Okay? So my overrated is the scariness of being chased by a fast guy versus a slow guy. Okay, So logically I should be more scared of a person who is fast and trying to kill me, sure than I should be of Jason Voorheats, who is slow and trying to kill me. When I watched that movie, you know that's the Uh, he's slow, he's relentless, kind of lumbering, and even like when I think about the parts from Scream where it like takes me out of it, it's when ghost Face looks like he's in a hurry. By the way, he brought to you by Halloween, this being the spooky month of Halloween. I've been thinking horror movies. Yeah, when you see him kind of physically trying to be like, oh, you had to you had to kick in an extra gear. Huh, so you're not. It almost was like, so do you do this normally? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, exactly are you trying so hard? Why are you so fussy?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Why you seem so nervous? You're kind of clubsy cutting around those corners, my man. Yeah, yeah, when he's running, that really fucks me up. That takes me out of the whole screen sake. And then like the fact that it took us fifty years to invent fast zombies or however long you know, it took us decades to invent fast zombies. Zombies were just slow, lumbering but incessant, you know, determined to get them brains, to get in them brains. So I've always been wondering about that, and I kind of just attributed to Yeah, they looked like a little silly sprinting around in a hurry, But I just I do feel like there is something bone deep about like what is scary about Jason walking after you with determination. Right. So then, and this is another This is another edition of Jack shares what he heard on a kids science podcast over the weekend. I will not apologize. I heard this episode of Radio Lab for kids about how our ability to kind of relentlessly run down prey. It was the thing that like put us in a position where we could like have enough calories to like grow our brains evolutionarily. Like the way we hunted was just by moving at a slow, steady pace after animals that could like sprint away and then them down. Yeah, and just eventually, after hours and hours of like tracking them, they would you know, be exhausted and just and we would just like walk up to their keeled over, exhausted forms and just like calmly smash their brains in with a rock. Like that was that was what our ascension to the position of super predator look like. And the reason is actually so so my my very loose theory is maybe this is why humans walking are scarier than humans like sprinting is because it's just like a slow, steady approach is like we know somewhere deep down we're like, ah, yeah, that's that's bad. And also the secret weapon is like, we're sweaty. So animals most animals can't dump heat the way we can because they don't sweat. So the animals that we were able to get like, they pant and so panting and running you can't do those two things at the same time. So I also wonder if that's maybe why wet people are scarier than dry people. You know, what do you mean wet people are scarier? Don't you think? Like horror movie like Jason's always wet. I feel like dry horror movie villains less scary than wet horror movie villain.
Speaker 3: I guess it doesn't for me. The wet part. I'm like, whatever, Bro, you're gross either way. Like it's like a hat on a hat. At that point, it's like, oh, you're a killer and a wet right, I'm my brother. The fact that you're a killer. I'm more personally, I'm more freaked out about the fast zombies because when I put myself in that situation like Brough, I don't have a fucking cardio for that, And then I'm like, that's a fucking rap. I can trick myself into thinking like I could maybe outwit the slow moving like yell of horse.
Speaker 1: But it is definitely like you're more logical to me first some reason, just like from the start, I've been more scared of slow people than like just and maybe it's because I started watching horror movies too early too, and that's why. But that's my loose theory is it's because we are scariest when we're slowly, relentlessly pursuing something and and we know that at some level.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think there's also something something like metaphorical too about like our our issues we have, like as humanity, where we have these slow moving problems that eventually might.
Speaker 1: Kill you might get it. It's like, I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: Like the other ones, the fast moving ones, we'll deal with those real quick, right whatever, And they're typically the scariest ones.
Speaker 1: So no, I see there's there's a there's a logic to this that. Yeah, Jason could also be a metaphor for climate change. I see that as well. Everything is these days anyway. My overrated is masculinity.
Speaker 3: I was is that a karaoke bar, ok okay, And I was going to the bathroom in a urinal. Another guy comes in, goes two urinals down, from me leaves the middle one open. I get that if you're you know, there's one person there and maybe you don't want to caose up to someone. But then like a couple of younger dudes came in and there's an open urinal, like, oh, dudeis piss so bad, and like the other dude joking is like dude, hey, go ahead right there the middle one between these two dudes and the other guy was like, nah, dude, you know the rules and they were like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was so weird. I thought they were joking.
Speaker 3: But then like I had finished pretty like by the time they had said that, Like I was just finishing, and then the other like the other guy next to me had finished, and then they.
Speaker 1: Just avoided the middle urinal and just started peeing, And I was like, what the fuck is this shit?
Speaker 3: Like it was like a weird internet meme come to life. These guys are like maybe twenty two, like early early twenties, early twenties, and it was like half joking, but in a way where I'm like, bro, if you have to piss that bad, what is the point of like evoking some weird like Reddit image you saw where it's like what's the perfect urinal or like, oh, you will become betified if you go to pee. It was just a very odd moment, Like I keep having these like moments in public bathrooms where I'm seeing where society's going, Like the same way when I was at that soccer game and the dude was like hey English or Spanish and was doing that whole like joke meme. I explained it where they say, like they say the first person to speak is gay, and so like they would do these videos where people in the she would just be like silent because like I'm not I'm not going to be the one who loses this.
Speaker 1: And I was like, in real life.
Speaker 3: Really we're doing this, yeah, the fucking urinal thing because someone is in the stall, probably doing drugs or some shit because that shit was not open. And then but it was just weird to then see this, Like I knew it wasn't totally serious, but it was serious enough that their first instinct wasn't to immediately relieve themselves in an open.
Speaker 1: Urinal right, No, man, Yeah, the rules you know that I've seen in a meme like.
Speaker 3: That you dog, that's you, that's you, bro. And then like me and this other guy. I think we're probably closer in age, like left, and I'm just like washing my hands and like, oh, and then they go to pen like jipiss so bad, and I'm like, okay, sure, masculinity maintained.
Speaker 1: Maintain.
Speaker 3: Now go back out there and sing whatever you're gonna sing or don't sing, because I wonder if you're one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Like us for females bro to belt out a tune. Yeah, did you see if those guys ever went up and say I like that?
Speaker 3: I completely was just like, God, like, just throw that on the pile of weird things I see every day. So anyway, yeah, just go to the bathroom. It's just also weirder to hear people debate about which urinal to use in a bad It just all very strange. And it's all we all pee, man, we all got to pee, and that doesn't change. You are fundamentally based on where you go and if you happen to be next to another person with the penis while that's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all right, you're good. Sorry. That's why when I go, when I go to the bathroom with a friend, we hold hands next to each other. Well, yeah, you know, just to let people know, just high five constantly. Who sounds strong? Yo? Give me twenty four? Yeah, all right? My underrated is just kind of old shit in the zeitgeist. I was seeing a lot of like old shit, old ship being in the Zechust. Obviously on this podcast we track like new war stuff, news stories, things that are happening right now in the zeitgeist. I wish there was a more consistent, easy way to track like what was coming through the zeitgeist that was old and like inexplicable. Like I was just randomly over the weekend seeing a lot of like Beatles jokes and Beatles like observations on Twitter for some reason, like yeah, the Beatles like that that band. Like there was like but White Album jokes, jokes about Paul McCartney White album joke, Like what do you mean? They were talking about like Rocky Raccoon, like that song, OK. And then they like somebody else like posted a clip from the White Album and was like this song, like is it's so weird that the song like goes so hard and the Beatles are so square? And then there was like a joke about like Paul McCartney versus John Lennon's like songwriting style, and I don't know. I just feel like when we think about does zeitgeist, we think like about what is happening in the news, and then it seems like sometimes everyone's just randomly talking about the same thing for no reason, right, you know, like it's just like a song gets randomly stuck in everyone's head at the same time. And I just like wish there was some good way to track that, and like, I don't know, like I'm sure a smarter person could use that to predict like the upcoming election, but like, I just I don't have a theory. I don't know why randomly everyone was thinking about that album this weekend for a reason. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's like one of those things where it's like if enough people have enough foundational knowledge on it, and it sort of there's an upward trend. Well because you know, Twitter works like once shit starts popping, then everyone kind of gets their take off to sort of you know, get in on like the fun of whatever the trope dejore meme da jour is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I don't know, I don't know. I uh, I wish I knew enough about the beatles to to have made sense of that. I was just like, what the fuck are the why are we talking about this? Bye? Why is this motherfucker talking about I just got talking about this, dude. I got so bad for tweeted Lennon's song show Me the Source of the Leak that Drips and turns Honest men. Week McCartney song Terry the Plumber is an honest man. He'll fix your pipe as fast as he can. Temp change. It's pipe time, key signature change, typo change, tempo change. He loves pipes. He loves pipes. It was just a weird, random observation about how silly Palmer Pattany's asses when he's writing a song. I love that. Yeah, Hey man, all right, myles, what is something you think is under underrated?
Speaker 3: Which comic book character appeals to you and what it might say about you?
Speaker 1: So you take a quiz this weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, took a lot of quizzes because they all kept coming up with not characters.
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 3: All kept saying I was Jubilee and I'm not Jewbilee.
Speaker 1: I'm Doctor Manhattan.
Speaker 3: So I've been watching WandaVision and it's pretty good. I've been saying that, though, I think about the last couple of weeks and I like that again, I appreciate that I don't need to have seen every single MCU thing or know every single MCU thing to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: That's like one of my favorite things about it. But it's also it's a fun watch.
Speaker 3: But I was also like when I watched him, like yeah, dude Vision, Hell yeah, dude, that guy's cool. He's super powerful, he like keeps it cool and he's not like tripping on some ego shit. And then I was like, thinking back, I was like, I also when I was first getting into The Watchman, I was like, hell yeah, dude, Doctor Manhattan, this dude focks. But then I was like I wasn't getting into therapy and sort of interrogating things about my own self. I was like, yeah, why do these robotic, emotionless, hyper powerful figures appeal to me? And again, when you do enough introspection, and it was just something because like this wasn't something I worked out from watching WandaVision, but I just remember like that sort of a human thing where it's like this guy is cool, and then I was like, wait, you know why this person's cool to you right, because I think the first thing, like, I've been pretty I'm always somewhat at odds with the fact that I'm pretty introverted, like I can be, I'm like an extroverted introvert because at the end of the day, for me to recharge, I cannot have people around me like I have to be I have to I have to fuck off to mars like Doctor Manhattan does, and people like where'd he go? I'm like, I'm sorry, Like I just can't be around anyone. I need to just sort of I need to center myself in solitude at times. And then the other thing was the robot robotic part of these characters. These characters seldom voice their own emotional needs, and this was something that I struggled with for many years because I, you know, culturally and you know, being like a man, and also coming from cultures where being vulnerable is not a huge thing. Talking about your emotional state isn't is It wasn't as normalized as it should be, and I had to do a lot of work to do that on my own. I was like, oh, right, that's something that I've that's always been sort of a cause of and solution to my problems, which is the lack of voicing my emotional needs. And so as I watched it all, it was just kind of funny to see that thinking re emerge as I see another comic book character and I'm like, this guy's built on AI but he has technopathy and all these other cool fucking powers or whatever, but he's not. He's not He's struggling. He has no the humanity is not really there.
Speaker 1: Did your therapist ask you, like, what fictional characters you identify with or that just like kind of came up again.
Speaker 3: No, I just I know something I realized because I remember when I first read Watchman. I was like, dude, this guy is fucking dope. He like, cause I'm like, in a way, I was like pumping myself.
Speaker 1: I'm like, sometimes, dude, people are just.
Speaker 3: Tripping about shit, and I'm like, these are like human problems, man, like you got to see the bigger picture, like.
Speaker 1: Not everything's worth tripping over.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, oh, no, I'm not addressing anything, Like I'm just acting like things don't affect me because it's easier to do that than to like really sit down and try and work something out. So it didn't come up that way, although maybe when Watchman Guy kept bringing up Watchmen in therapy and she's like, wow, you really talk a lot about her Manhattan address, Doctor Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, it's pretty cool though, because like he could, like he could do anything he wants, yet he's not not fully evil, you know what I mean. I think that's pretty cool, and like, also, you know, he's like Visus just omnipotent, omniscient and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to take the fact that both the you're overrated and underrated could be read as you wanting to show people your penis as anything other than question. Yeah, they were bald guys with their dicks out, they're dark part of my person. You had been at that uh you had been at that year for forty five minutes, pants all the way down around your ankles.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, fun out, but fully out. What's that thing on his butt? It's a hydrogen atom. I got it tatted on my yeeks.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, I do feel like, yeah that I don't know, I feel like that should be a therapist question. It's like, and who are the fictional characters that you Yeah, most identified with growing up, and you would just like learn a lot.
Speaker 3: The modern person, who I think has learned to sort of process a lot of things through comic book characters.
Speaker 1: It probably is telling Like I like.
Speaker 3: I thought Wolverine was cool, but I was like, no, bro, this dud's out of control, Like any's kind of gross, Like that's not really me. And then I'm like, oh, the flying sort of like ascetic religious person who's like simplified and wise, Like I was like that was trying to hold that up as like a thing.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, check it out.
Speaker 3: Let us know on your who's your favorite character of comic book character and what does that say about what.
Speaker 1: And what to do your problem? Yeah? Yeah, I do feel like if future historians are not too bored by the American Empire, they'll probably look at superhero characters the way that we like have looked back at like ancient Greek myths and be like, ah, yeah, they were real fucked up. Huh right right right, yeah, anyways, uh cool, Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some of the news that happened over the weekend. And we're back. We're back, and Donald Trump returned to Butler, Pennsylvania for the first time since the assassination attempt, and the resulting rally was about as insufferable as you'd probably imagine. He began a speech with as I was saying, and everyone was like, he's got a new bit. He starts off the rally with as I.
Speaker 3: Was saying, as I was saying, the late great Hannibal lecteror what call fuck?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, yeah, you brought out The Sunday Times kind of did a finally of what his speech was, like, yes, and it's pretty like I think this is the first sort of honest summary of a Trump speech.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of yeah, a lot of news outlets that aren't the New York Times and tend to report a little bit more on the progressive end of things or just more objectively have been like when is when are they going to actually be like this guy is this guy is suffering from a decline, and you guys are just just going just you know, glazing, glossing right past it. Not glazing necessarily, But the Sunday Times they said, this is what it said.
Speaker 1: Quote. He rambles, He repeats himself. He roams from thought to thought.
Speaker 3: Some of them hard to understand, some of them unfinished, some of them factually fantastical. He voices outlandish claims that seemed to be made up out of whole cloth. He digresses into bizarre tangents about golf, about sharks, about his own beautiful body. He relishes a great day in Louisiana after spending the day in Georgia. He expresses fear that North Korea is quote trying to kill me, when he presumably means Iran. As late as last month, mister Trump was still speaking as if he were running against President Biden, five weeks after his withdrawal from the race.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then they go on to say that the overall the piece is just saying, like the rhetoric is just so different than the first run at president he had. It's more long winded, more disconnected, more rambling course or far more prone to swearing. So it's just like a it was like the you know, one of those first times that they're really articulating this idea that like not everything as well in this guy's head, he's saying things that don't make sense, and he's running for president and could potentially win, and we are one of the most consequential news outlets in the country, so maybe maybe they're maybe that's the October surprise. We noticed Donald Trump's mental decline, and it's like, that's not a surprise.
Speaker 1: Second, none of this shit is making any sense. Yeah, so that was the content of you know what he presented. There were reports that the rally would be structured to honor Corey Comparatore, who was the guy who died at the last rally, rather than focus on Trump. Undercutting that theme slightly, Trump did a flyover of the rally and Trump Force one while the theme music from Top Gun was blasted.
Speaker 3: I heard about this and it's like, not even exciting because it's not like a jet.
Speaker 1: It's like anyone who lives.
Speaker 3: Near an air like near an airport, ath to an airport, You're like, oh yeah, there's a thing even like buzzing the ground.
Speaker 1: Obviously who knows, but wow, okay, Trump Force one. The event did feature some mentions of Comparatoor, like one guy live finger painted an American flag behind his image for some reason on stage, which like I've seen that like live painting thing be done, but it's usually like, you know, you're painting a portrait or something like that, and it's done quickly. But this was it looks like a finger painting. The guy did well. It was in the background.
Speaker 3: It was also like the kind of thing where it looks like the guy had pre painted a portrait of Comparator.
Speaker 1: It's a photograph of Comparator or a pre drawn thing. And then he painted the background the American flag in the background, and then revealed the that it was yeah, and I was like, oh, okay, this is cool. Sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, because the other thing that happened in the late last week was there was there was like leaked audio of how Trump kept making jokes about Comparator's widow. Yes, yeah, yeah, He's like, I had the check for her, you know, millions of dollars to just to to help her, and you know, she said, this is all fantastic, but I would just love Corey back. And I don't know many people who would have said that with a check for that much in front of him. You know a lot of people probably wouldn't. And he kept like he did a version of that. I think at the RNC, like lightly did it.
Speaker 1: And people are like, what the fuck, dude, So yeah, great way to honor him. Yeah, but then he was also doing it at like fundraising dinners with like a bunch of millionaires and billionaires, and compared Tour was, you know, a blue collar, working class guy and also just kind of undercutting the solemnity with which they were treating him. Jd. Vance opened his speech by saying, I believe it is as sure as I'm standing here today that what happened was a true miracle, which is kind of which part. Yeah, you know, I mean, the right guy got let's just say, you know, it's a miracle. Look, don't they believe in miracles? Right? And I hope you do.
Speaker 3: You always have a friend wearing lifted shoes.
Speaker 1: Hey, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Then there was like a moment of silence that was so it's like disrespectful even to the concept of a moment.
Speaker 1: Of silence, truly a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a moment, not even a moment, dude, a fucking moment of silence. Here's where Trump is asked the people, Hey, you know, it's to commemorate at six ' eleven when the shooting occurred. You know, that's they wanted to mark that moment with this moment of silence that was truly a moment.
Speaker 4: At this time, it is six eleven, twelve weeks to the minute that the shooting began. I would like to ask everyone to join me in a moment of silence.
Speaker 1: Don't And then they started playing Ave Marie. Yeah, Church, I don't know, do you need church bells? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's silent, isn't it. I forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this. It's a moment of silence.
Speaker 1: If it was possible for him to cover the silence in gold le May paint, he would have done it. You know. It's just he's got it. You can buy it on a hat on a hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can buy this Trump Golden Moment of Silence for forty nine thousand dollars. It has one hundred and twenty diamonds in it vs one clarity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, good for him, so yeah. And then, of course, the big thing that got people's meme engines revving was Elon Musk showed up in an Occupy Mars T shirt, wearing a custom made dark Maga baseball cap and started jumping around like an excited toddler in the candy isle of Costco. He really does that shit, like I've seen him do it so frequently, so like, yeah, coming out at like his little you know, corporate pep rally things where he comes out and everybody's excited to see him, and you know he's within the comfy confines of his cult. But this, yeah, he's still just out here jumping with his hands in the air, looking looking pretty strange.
Speaker 3: He really and he had like his dark maga hat on. He's like, come on Eline He then Trump was kind of like mumble mumbling through his name.
Speaker 1: It's the jumping that really is. He's bunny hopping.
Speaker 3: Take over Elanya.
Speaker 1: Trump everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way he jumps, it looks like when my kid watches Miss Rachel videos.
Speaker 1: You know they're like.
Speaker 3: Hop little bunny hop hop pop, and he's like, who.
Speaker 1: Is full of hunting? There's truly no one can jump with that kind of joy. I think. Then that's kind of what's pissing me off.
Speaker 3: This guy genuinely looks like he's like yay, But people were zooming in on his eyes. If you look at the picture that we have in the dock, if you look at his eyes, there's a pain behind them.
Speaker 1: He knows he's about to land, and this is he jumps like once a week and yeah, shit is not probably not easy on that body.
Speaker 3: Just if you look at this just his face, it's a very strange like expression for someone. I get that it's a photo, but just like mid jump, there's something it's like a doll's eyes.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I'm saying, is like a doll's life. Yeah, so you know he was there.
Speaker 3: He got to do his shit too and be like this is the most important election for me financially. Yeah, but then made it I guess kind of about the people that were at the rally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said it will be the last election ever if Democrats win, which is obviously a wild thing to say while supporting the guy who actively tried to overthrow the last election. I will say though, for all the quote unquote celebrities that come out to be to get their like Maga on on a stage, he probably got the best cheer when he first came out. Yeah, people were.
Speaker 3: Like, WHOA, it's someone I recognize who's relevant right now rather than someone who is a celebrity forty five years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they were like el loon. But yeah, he got he got his, He got his. He got to jump up and down and say a bunch of bullshit. So we'll see if that helps. We'll see if that helps expand the map.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jake the Snake, everybody, that was the other option. Jake the Snake. Roberts from WWF remember him, got him? And oh shit, Elon actually made it this time. So we've got We've got Elon Jake the Snake. If you remember Yoko Zuna, he'll be out here later. It's all going to be a fantastic moment. Fantastic moment, all right, Uh, anti war protests over the weekend dominated Zuna died. Oh I didn't really see Jake the Snake was still alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even I was like Yoko's I feel like Yoko Zuna died when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that happened, okay, okay. Yeah. The White House marked the one year anniversary of October seventh by you know, croaking out the same bullshit about Israel's right to defend itself, with kind of only a cursory mention of Palestinians, no mention of the fact that much of the world spent the weekend protesting the ongoing genocide and yeah, countries, it was everywhere across the world just saw massive anti war protests over the weekend, including London. I think there are tens of thousands who turned out to Mark for Peace in London, which, as it was reported in The Guardian, what a headache for the police. But yeah, yes, what a headache for the police.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean this was it wasn't it was every pretty much most nations had some form of protest happening. And DC it looked like a guy attempted to self immolate and you know, was his arm like his arm caught fire and then he was pretty quickly extinguished. And colleges are also you know, colleges are back in session and they're doing things like canceling interfaith prayer vigils. If you know, guest lecturers have had anything, you know, negative to say about Israeli policy. But then like Yale has Ben ship hero On for how quote how October seventh broke America's college campuses very much needed, much needed discors back now at this time. But I mean, like, wow, you know, reflecting on a year of this, I'm just struck how used to death we have become, you know, more than anything, because we Americans already had this unique sort of callous built up on our souls, where you know, we can.
Speaker 1: School shooting after school shooting. It's just like, yeah, I guess that is what it is.
Speaker 3: But I mean, like now, when you look at the scale of what's happening to Palestinian people, and you know, with the kind of clarity that we have in terms of the morality of it all, it's really it's bone chilling. And Western media, colonial media, has created an environment where sympathy can only move in one direction. Anything else will be seen as an act of violence. Last week, right, I think a lot of people were talking about when Tannahisi Coats was getting grilled on the CBS Morning Show because he showed that there's a line you cannot cross in sort of the mainstream accepted discourse because in his book, he was treated like a criminal basically during this quote unquote interview for merely saying that, you know, in my book, I talk about how I went to go see what the situation is with Palestinians and how the Israelis are governing, and what I saw with my eyes was a modern apartheid state where ethnicity was the basis for whether or not you were granted basic rights, and for that it became very clear to me that what was happening was not complex in the basic terms of who is granted humanity and who is not, who has rights and who is not, And so that reaction, I think just reminded. I think reminds me, and I think most people see that to be able to acknowledge the humanity of Palestinian people is just still a bridge too far in most places. I was watching like MSNBC this morning because I was very curious what the MSNBC version is of October seventh things, and you were just sort of treated to solemn interview after solemn interview, whether it was parents of someone who has taken hostage or rabbis talking about like, what you know, the pain in their communities, which I think.
Speaker 1: Is all valid.
Speaker 3: I understand that really, but what it happened was it was the complete erasure of Palestinian people and their experience throughout all of this, and we've like, we just have this. This a great American habit to look at a situation and be like, we know these people are dying, but we aren't going to talk about it because we have to manufacture as much consent for what we want to do in terms of what our policy is and what the military industrial complex wants. So complete, I mean, like I'm sure net and Yahuo has probably brought a tear to his eye to see that it was merely there's like a near total erasure of what Palestindian people are going through in terms of.
Speaker 1: Like what the one year coverage is.
Speaker 3: And we have an administration too that is like constantly making the worst decisions in regards to this genocidal campaign, and it's become absurd to the point that like not even having a near supermajority of Democrat voters saying when you pull them, what would you like see done? Stop arming Israel comes up as one of the top things that that's not even enough to move the needle in any meaningful way. So like with this system too, and I think as a lot of the times I've seen a lot of write ups too from foreign policy people will be like, you know, what the Harrison administration could do to differentiate or what needs to do is we have to have some kind of accountability for the fact that we absolutely have failed the palest Indian people. Is that you realize we have this we have a right to vote, but I'm not sure you have a right to representation, which I think there's a real big difference there, because we talk about our ability to vote, but how many like when we look at what is happening, what is our ability to have our values represented? And that's I think a place where we just fall terribly, terribly short.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was kind of struck by a Harris campaigning with the Cheneye at the end of last week as Israel's all out assault on Gaza and Lebanon continues, and just I was reading something about the exploding pager attacks in the way that they justified it by being like, you know, or at least implicitly. I don't know if they've even admitted it was them, but they were like, yeah, but they were the bad guys and so basically they can do anything. And just how reminiscent it is of the war on Terror that America waged, you know, like yet young children were blown up and killed by those pager explosions. But it just it really feels like we're in the aftermath of that original war against everyone who looked guilty to America and at a time when America was like really not trying to be discerning now, you know, truly.
Speaker 3: We're like Iraq, Yeah, let's go there for nine to eleven. Right, Okay, yeah, that works.
Speaker 1: But it just feels like once you do some evil shit like that, you don't just get to turn the hose off when your bloodlust is quenched. You know, you've created a precedent, which net Yahoo has like used has been like what about you guys. You guys did this shit too, right, which, yeah, like you're saying, is why it's so extra urgent for someone to do something to stop it and why it's extra frustrating to see the Democrats who were refusing to do that instead campaigning with like, yeah, war.
Speaker 3: Criminals, yeah, like yeah, yeah, yeah, Dick Cheney, we love them, don't we, folks.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Nan Yahoo was was a huge supporter of the Iraq war. He said that nine eleven was When asked what he thought of, like what nine to eleven would do for in terms of like US Israeli relations, he said, oh, it's very good, right, and he's like in that there was a lot of like then he clarified sympathy obviously for like what has just happened because you're saying in the like the horror of a terrorist attack would create a lot of flexibility in terms of you know, it's implied a lot of flexibility in terms of the violence that could be inflicted when retaliating. And now it's like the thing that is really to that point right about you saying that this is a continuation of the war on terror. Just look how much the rhetoric has changed from October seventh, eighth of last year, when it was Hamas must be eliminated, and now we have the White House saying Hamas the hoo thies, Hezbollah, Iran. Yeah, it's just expanding now because again, like just like in terms of how Netanyahu was looking at nine to eleven, it's like when you have something where there's a loss of life to civilian and you kind of get carte blanche to do some shit in the name of retaliation. It doesn't even have to be logical, but you can use that. And but I but at this point, I feel like for a lot of people, the sympathy has been exhausted to the point where now we're looking at you know, obviously there's like the figures that the news will say that like it's close to forty two thousand people that have been killed in Gaza, when realistically that number is probably in the six figures when all said and done, because that's just stuff like where you could you could find someone that Yeah, now we're talking about an expansion of hostilities, and you know the America is doing the thing. Dude, like, well, obviously we're not. We're not, we're not, we don't. We don't think all of that's good now, But who's to say at the end of the day, Like you said, there's this country definitely once once they get a taste of it, it's very hard to stop it. And yeah, I'm that's like that was like what it was really alarming about that statement from the White House was like the number of groups that had been named, like identified by name in connection to October seventh as a way to manufacture consent to like increased hostilities was very.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just amazing that they didn't end with et cetera. And so right at the end of that list.
Speaker 3: Right with like an asterisk where it's like, you know, this lineup may change at any moment, like a fucking festival concert, like festival lineup for Coachella.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get that this is the anniversary of the loss of you know, thousands of innocent Israeli lives, and like, you know, like you said this, you know, those lives need to be mourned. I just you know, there are so many innocent lives being lost elsewhere that are just not being acknowledged really anywhere in the Western media.
Speaker 3: And this is what this is what Tanehase Coats was pressed on, yeah, saying, well, you know, did do these.
Speaker 1: People not lose their lives?
Speaker 3: He said, He's like, I'm not negating that at all, but yeah, those those voices in the those perspectives have been well represented. They are available to people very easily. These other ones are not. And I think it's it's it's less about necessarily the specifics of October seventh and more like I'm like, when we take a macro view of how this country operates any way foreign policy or even domestically, the same way that people have to vilify people of color who are killed by the police, there's a way where it's like the sympathy flows in one direction, and if someone loses their life and it's at the hands of the state or the state is involved, then you have to find a way to distance yourself or get people to distance themselves from the victim's humanity as well. And that's I think as we see our problems become, you know, more intense, that's like a huge, huge flaw that leadership wise, that has to be addressed because I don't I still do believe in the good in people to take care of each other, although it comes out at the worst of times when we have to band together to do that. But it's also something that we can consider when we're looking at just generally of how we're moving and what we want out of how we're interacting with the world, and what we want for our own futures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about the Joker too. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back.
Speaker 3: And one story, as I was saying, as we were saying, as I was saying, so, Variety over the weekend published an article about the problem of toxic fandom and how the studios behind big franchises have been responding to it.
Speaker 1: And it feels like they're just like feeding it in some ways, like they do have measures in place to like protect talent. If a you know, actor is portraying a character who is challenging a franchise's status quo, studios now will like take over their social media accounts entirely like with their permission. And if the actor is threatened, which they so commonly are, security firms will be hired in order to like scrub their info so they're not docs and like protect them in some ways. But then the other part of this strategy is to just like try to not piss off the people. It feels like like the toxic fandoms, So they've been organizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like maga shit yeah, or like Republicans.
Speaker 1: They just they're like.
Speaker 2: Fuck dude, But what about the freaks that are gonna yell at me on Twitter? Yeah, I'm going to completely abandon every principle I had in the creative process because a bunch of fucking losers were getting up doing Twitter polls about like Star Wars is too black Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the New York Times response to the rise of Mega, you know, being like, how do we interview how do any of these people who will who will talk to us? So studios have been organizing focus groups featuring quote specialized cluster of super fans who can view marketing materials and even suggest changes if a project isn't finished yet, which like when you think about so the biggest fan complaints that we've gotten in recent years, like the ones that they think about include, you know, stop putting black people in Star Wars and women shouldn't be allowed to be ghostbusters, a functional job invented by Dan Aykroyd in the eighties, presumably on a lot of cocaine. So I can't imagine a worse idea for the creation of art, Like.
Speaker 3: It's not art, that's not art, you know what I mean? Art is an active self expression.
Speaker 1: You don't see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Picasso wouldn't go up, I mean not that he was. Like imagine right, like a rembrand, someone at the top of their game going on stage to paint live for people, and every stroke they look at that and.
Speaker 1: Go huh uh huh yeah okay, ye warm up, warm okay, and then they're like, draw a fucking circle. Well, but I I do realism, and I can make lifelike things that may give us a commentary or something, or maybe the contorted figures to present something else.
Speaker 3: Just draw the fucking circle, you fucking freak. That's my favorite shape. We lose something by not having not to say, like, I mean, I'm not going to be like, dude, these these are our highest forms of art. But in the sense that the act of creating something is inherently artistic, that you won't be able. People won't be able to interact with something that at least gets them to think, not even saying that like, oh, we cast this personal color to get you to think they did that because it's reflecting the world around you, right, that it's not, and that the industry is not inherently so like white dominated. I mean, it still is to have a varying degrees, but there are there are moments where we get something that resembles equity.
Speaker 1: So then it'd be like, I don't want that.
Speaker 3: You're just saying just overall, we're like, okay, well, we're seeding to the forces that don't want progress at all in any form.
Speaker 1: So let's listen to the people who have made past iterations of this work an unhealthily load bearing part of their personality and ask them what what should happen? Right, Like, yeah, I don't know, it's uh It just seems like a bad idea will presumably just result in franchises producing less diverse media, of course, and we'll only make existing problems worse.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, they're gonna do the thing where they'll they're gonna they'll acquiesce to this nonsense. The product becomes stale, it doesn't fucking sell anymore, then they panic and don't know what to do, and then they got I mean, I don't know, maybe this will just hasten the evolution of things to come, and maybe you can like let go of fucking ip where people are like my grandfather's version of that character was a clan member.
Speaker 1: What have you done? Right? You know? Like what the fuck like this is?
Speaker 3: I don't know, So maybe maybe there is a positive part to it that like we can do away with some of these things that have become, like you said, so integral to people, like their personalities or their you know, media diets, that we can maybe create some space for something new, because like, yeah, I think I'm a big Star Wars fan and I don't need no more Star Wars right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're good here.
Speaker 3: I'm so open to seeing something new, like the new Star Wars, that shit would even fucking that would fuck me up even more whatever that is. But they could see Disney being like, it'll get ready for new Star Wars and be like, what.
Speaker 1: It's just new Coke basically, yeah, right right, yeah, the same Star Wars but with better CGI or you did that. Yeah. It just feels like when we like did the story about the article on like what's killing Hollywood, and it's a lot of just like corporate ideas getting integrated into like the big studios. I feel like we just more and more need to assume that, like we're going to be seeing diminishing returns with these massive studios and like look elsewhere for our art because the one way that they can respond to like what you're talking about and like do a course correction is like by just like stealing something made by independent creators. Right, So that's I think what has to be our hope, because I don't think they're going to be like, oh, well, this isn't working, so let's figure it out. It just seems like they're their decision is to when something isn't working as well, just like triple down and focus group test things within an inch of their lives.
Speaker 3: Just get just again, it's it's it's more corporate corporate ethos is killing your work.
Speaker 1: Go more, just like, yeah, to the metal on that ship.
Speaker 3: Don't embrace the thing that created your industry to begin with, which is like embracing new ideas, creativity and like doing other stuff. And again, I think that just speaks to because of like the corporate capture of the industry, that it's now just purely become a money making endeavor that has to be able to be done formulaically, that you get formulaic content.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, speaking of formulaic content or not, dude, or maybe not maybe groundbreaking. The Joker sequel Joker fully a Ducts, I think is how it's pronounced fully Dukes French Dukes Dukes was number one of the box office, but it made forty million dollars. They were expecting seventy million dollars and the first movie made over a billion dollars total worldwide and cost fifty five million to make. This movie somehow cost one hundred and ninety million dollars to make and appears to be on track to not even make its budget back. It's around the same so it's opening weekend box office take was around the same as what Morbius made the Jared leto Spider Man universe, but without Spider Man movie Morbius. The fans hate it. I always keep saying.
Speaker 3: The fans are like, it's a fuck you to fans, and I'm like, why is it?
Speaker 1: Because they they weren't expecting a half baked musical, right, Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is that what it was? Because I mean, I don't know, so Todd Phillips made it clear. It's like, Bro, what you're getting, dude, is some wild ass revolutionary musical shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've not seen this movie yet, so I don't I can't speak to what Todd Phillips has done here, but it I mean, it is kind of funny to have this story following the last one, because I'm sure the Hollywood reaction is like, we should a focused group tested that shit and just like taken the movie away from Todd Phillips and built out the Joker verse instead of just letting Todd Phillips do whatever he wanted to do. But according to audiences, this thing is a turkey. It is the first ever comic book movie to receive a D rating from Cinema Score, which is like the thing where they pull movie goers after seeing a movie and kind of get an aggregate of reactions, and it's usually a pretty good indicator of like how a movie's going to do, like if it's going to hold well. So in addition to having a bad opening, it feels like this is going to hold particularly poorly. And I just guy won Oscar for the first one. You know, you.
Speaker 3: Contrast it with that that first one got Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar, and I guess comparatively a B plus on Cinema Score.
Speaker 1: So B plus to a D. That sounds like sounds like the summer I started smoking weed and I, yeah, it sounds like it sounds like we need to talk to your parents. Yeah. Yeah. The fact that it's the lowest score ever is like, just think about how many dog shit comic book movies there have been, right, Like the worst one prior to this was twenty fifteen's Fantastic Four movie, which got a C minus. This is a flat D. Damn, that's a D flat. That's a D flat, man. So I don't know, a lot of people are saying, like the takeaway is that it seemed to go out of its way to alienate the first movies fans replacing you know, the in cel coded Kirkland brands score vibes with musical numbers featuring Lady Gaga.
Speaker 3: I was talking to somebody who saw the first one or just saw Joker Ado.
Speaker 1: And Joelle I'll call Joe.
Speaker 3: Joelle has her takes out there for anybody to see. She when I was we saw each other on Friday, we all got together and.
Speaker 1: Were we talking about.
Speaker 3: That with each I know you were around anyway, we look we all got together as a family.
Speaker 1: As we was around it. That was lingering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was like, oh, tell me about you know Joker too, And she was like, it's just so strange.
Speaker 1: She said, it was just.
Speaker 3: So weird because it felt like fundamentally Todd Phillips doesn't understand what a musical is. Like songs just came out like he was just breaking the song with the weirdest moments, not even in a way where like when you watch a musical you're like, I.
Speaker 1: Feel a song coming on type of thing.
Speaker 3: It's just like, and this part was song just apropos of nothing. So even I guess even if you went as a musical fan, just not even that part was delivering so it sounds like a few few mistakes all around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like maybe the problem is less like wow, they didn't pander to fans, and more that he made a musical and seemingly had didn't know what musicals were before he made the musical. Like we talked before about how his quotes was like, the movie's not really a musical. The characters just kind of start singing when they're like overwhelmed with emotion, and like just basically described a musical. So it feels like maybe he had just like not seen one. Todd Phillips also an old school filmmaker in the sense that he steals from older filmmakers and to also treat sequels the way they were treated in the seventies and eighties, like back at a time when like a sequel was just like, look like, what do you want. This is going to be a complete cash grap It's a sequel. We're just going to do the same plot, but in this time, the airplane is going into the sun, you know, right right, we'll just call it another forty eight hours and it'll it'll be literally that. Because in the past, I mean the Hangover Part two, one of the worst sequels I've ever experienced. So maybe he's just he's not the guy to put in charge of the sequel to his massive you know, that was the last time like he captured the pulse of America with The Hangover and with The Joker, and then both times he used his grasp on our pulse to put everyone in a sleeper hole immediately after with the sequel, So.
Speaker 3: It's he went into it like really feel I'm just I'm reading this interview from I think right before, like as they were getting into production, and he was just like, why do something if it doesn't scare the shit out of you. I'm addicted to rich. Yeah, I made old school.
Speaker 1: I made old school, dude, I'm addicted to risk and road trip. You feel me.
Speaker 3: He's like, I mean it keeps you up at night, it makes your hair fall out, but it's a sweat that keeps you going, and like, yeah, broadly, that is what you'd want, Like you want, Yeah, I wish studios did things that scared the shit out of them. But then to read it all and have it come back to he's like, yeah, I don't know, And they say he's singing some.
Speaker 1: Songs I don't know. Is it bad? All right, well, it is what it is. Maybe he was commenting on our ancient predatory ability to run animals. It is the sweat that keeps you going. Mm hmmm. Yeah. Anyways, I uh he started speaking with a French accent, like as he was making this movie. I feel like that would be uh, that would be in keeping with what I know of God Phillips.
Speaker 3: It's also so funny too, like he's for his like artsy sort of like and he's like, yeah, dude, I'm kind of like a fucking risk taker, you know when I he's like you know that at the time. These are like the comedies that were were like yo, dude, these these things fucking are dope. He like, I guess he was always at the shot at the Chateau Marmont, like writing as if he was like Jim Morrison or something or blueshi kind of thing, and like that's where he was writing, like old school apparently, like that's hold up at the chateau, right, Okay, cool dude.
Speaker 1: Cool shatateau, which is basically like a Disney World feature of the Chateau Marmont at this point. Yeah, that's just exactly Yeah, visionary yeah, I guess you could say that. It's like nobody nobody said that word, where nobody said anything. You just came into the room and said visionary. I guess you could say that as.
Speaker 3: I was saying, this is an interview where I'm going to ask you a question. Oh my bad, my bad, my bad, Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, October seventh. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, get your flu shot, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will artil tomorrow. Bye bye,