Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind Listener Mail. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And it's Monday, the day of each week that we read back messages from the Stuff to Blow Your Mind email address. If you've never gotten in touch with the show before and you'd like to give it a try, this is the week try it out. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. We appreciate all kinds of messages. Of course, we always like feedback to recent episodes, especially if you have something interesting to add to a topic we've talked about. Let's see Rob If you don't mind, I'm going to kick things off with this message from Jeff.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, Jeff.
Speaker 3: This is a response to last week's listener mail, in which we also featured a message by Jeff. Last time, Jeff wrote in with a second hand story or maybe a third hand story about a scuba diver suffering a gro tesk fish bite after harassing some wildlife. And he included a note in that message about scuba divers laughing. And I was wondering how can you tell if people are laughing and they're like in the scuba gear and all that. But Jeff has an answer. He says, I wanted to answer Joe's question about how you can tell someone is laughing when they're scuba diving. A group of us went on a night dive, and as we got settled on the sandy bottom, waiting for the entire group to make their way down the buoy line, we noticed a loggerhead turtle sleeping on the ocean floor. Of course, everyone did exactly what you are not supposed to do and surrounded it, shining our dive lights directly at it. Oh no, This quite predictably freaked out the turtle, who charged straight ahead and didn't quite clear my father as it ascended, bonking him in the forehead with its beak. This caused my father's dive buddy to laugh quite audibly for some time. Dad was fine. He had a red mark on his forehead when he came up, but no permanent damage. He later remarked that he was thinking, Wow, this is just like one of those three D movies.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we've ever had a turtle coming at the screen. In one of those, we've had ping pong balls or not ping pong balls? What's the wax Museum movie? What is Oh, it's the paddleballs the three D. You know, people holding out coffee cups at the at the screen. But I don't know if I've seen a turtle anyway, Jeff says his buddy retold the story for years, always making sure to mimic the look on my father's face. Sometimes i'd hear other divers ask, is that the guy who got attacked by the turtle? Night dives, by the way, are much cooler than you might expect. Many creatures who were hiding during the day are on the move at night. And while it's true that your world becomes limited to the dive light beam without significant visibility, you really focus on the details of what's in front of you. Since you're bringing your own light source, you can actually see the true colors of the organisms on the reef when you're relying on sunlight during the day. As you go deeper, all of the warm colors on the spectrum are filtered out by the water above, leaving everything blue and gray. If any of your gear has a rainbow design, on it. You can watch the roy of ROYGBIV lose his colors one at a time as you descend. Oh that's interesting. At night, if conditions are right and everyone turns off their lights, you can wave your arm and agitate the bioluminescent plankton. A trail of light will follow your arm like a trippy acid rock video. Anyway, getting back to your original point, yes, you very much can hear a scuba diver laughing underwater. The sound travels a short distance, and there's no issue with the dive apparatus if you want to laugh or yell or cough or pretty much anything else. In fact, the dive instructor explained to us that regulators are so safe that you can vomit into them without compromising their effectiveness or endangering your breathing. This opened up a lot of questions and wasn't as reassuring as it was meant to be. Oh, Jeff, yeah, that I mean it sounds reassuring. I would not be tempted to try it out. Jeff finishes by saying, thanks again for triggering lateral thinking and shaking up our neurons on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: Jeff, Oh, yeah, yeah, thanks for writing in about all that, you know, I've done my share of snorkeling, but I've never done any night snorkeling, despite being some places where there was that opportunity, or been places where there was some sort of like an excursion one could go on. I don't know. I like doing it in the sunlight. I like a nice, strong, strong bit of sunlight coming through, and I like doing it in the shallow waters. That's just where I am as an ocean going human at this point in my life.
Speaker 3: Isn't there a specific phobia that's like not just water, but dark water, like water you can't see through.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that's mean. So yeah, I mean, I'm not a big fan of dark water, but I wouldn't. I'm necessarily afraid of it a number of reasons. I haven't gotten into the scuba thing, I guess, but anytime I go snorkeling, there are almost always scuba people around, and I hear fantastic accounts of what they're up to. It sounds great. I don't know. There's a lot more, obviously to scuba diving compared to snorkeling. Snorkeling is a lot more casual in many respects, and I respect anybody who can, you know, get in there and really master the whole scuba diving system. It sounds like they get to see some really cool sights, all right. This next one comes to us from Jay. Jay writes Sin and says, Hello, Robert and Joe. I want to start by saying I've been a fan of the show for a long time. I love to learn new things, and even if I don't think I'll be a fan of a topic, you always manage to make each episode enjoyable and interesting. And while I very much enjoy the flagship episodes, I absolutely love weird House cinema. My recommendation for the show is the nineteen seventy three German sci fi film World on a Wire, directed by Renier Werner Fassbender, currently available to stream on the Criterion Channel. Ah. I am not a current subscriber to Criterion Channel, but I have dipped in and out of it before for particular pictures, and they do have a great selection.
Speaker 3: I watched this movie on disc within the last year. A friend of mine loaned it to me and I thought it was incredibly interesting. So it's an adaptation of a story I get. I don't know where the original story is from, but the same idea was made into a movie in the nineties called I Think The Thirteenth Floor, but it's very supposedly that is a sillier adaptation. But World and a Wire is very interesting. It's I don't know, something that strikes me as like a very sort of German filmmaking sensibility. There's kind of an architectualness about it, a lot of featuring of rooms and buildings in a prominent way. Like a lot of times the subject of a shot, the character will be kind of mediated by architectural features like walls and other things, sort of passing in between the camera and the character as the character moves. Stuff like that. But it's a really interesting film, and yeah, maybe we will come back to it one day. I guess it's an older movie so there's less concern about spoiling it though. Warning this is a spoiler if you know you don't know anything about it and you don't want to know. But it does cover some similar themes as kind of like the Matrix, but with a much different tone.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Interesting, Yeah, I mean a Fastpender is a well known German director and looking around here. I let's got some other people I'm familiar with from other things, like Kurt rob Is in it. So yeah, I don't know, I should probably dive in. I don't think I've checked out any of the Fastbender's films before anyway, Jay continues. The main subject of my message today, though, is to draw your attention to a table top role playing game called Cloud Impress. It bills itself as an ecological science fantasy RPG heavily inspired by the film NAUSICAA of the Valley of the Wind. It is a post apocalyptic RPG which takes place in a dangerous world and drops players in an even more dangerous time. The emergence of a century brewed a once in a hundred years cycle of you Guessed It, giant psychics cicadas. One of the things players can do in the game is harvest dead cicadas for a substance called chalk, which can be used to power weapons, and wizards can use it to power their magic. It's a rules light system and is quick to pick up in a blast to play, which I highly recommend. You can get free rules and other resources at their website and link is included here, but I think everyone else can just look for it. Cloud Impress, ecological science, fantasy, role playing. What's the uh, we're the publishers of this. I should mentioned that.
Speaker 3: I guess I think it was a kickstarter. Yeah, it looks like it was. I don't know if that means it's an independent publisher.
Speaker 2: I guess it's independent, but it looks like it's. Yeah, it looks like cloud empress dot com. But you know, do your own Google serties. It'll come up for you. And anyway, Jay concludes by saying thank you for the hours of entertainment and information. Jay, Well, this does look very interesting, and even just in the cover art, I can see the Nasca inspiration there. Very very interesting looking. Yeah, I've I've only waited a little bit into the you know, so called rules light games, but I'm very intrigued by them. You know. It's like it seems like there was a trend for a while with a lot of role playing systems just getting more and more advanced and becoming maybe just a little bit too much work. And I like the idea that some of them are stripping things down a bit and maybe leaning a little bit more into imagination, you know, letting the imagine not only just role playing, but also letting imagination fill in the gaps that are left by the game mechanics and so forth, less erro counting perhaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, though the only tabletop RPG I ever have extensively played is Dungeons and Dragons. I like that there's all this other stuff out there these days. I'm tempted by it. I would like to get into some of the more I don't know, sci fi focused ones, or any of the ones that are not just kind of classic wizards and elves and fantasy.
Speaker 2: Looking at the website a little bit closer, I think World's by Watt. Watt is the is the publisher's name, though it is. I believe you're in an independent operation here, so yeah, I have to check it out. All right? What else do we have in the bag here, Joe?
Speaker 3: All right? This next message is a recommendation for Weird House Cinema, and it comes from Dean. Dean says, hey, guys, just watched Horror Express again. We never knew you watched it the first time. Dean just watched it again and it was great. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Telly Savalas, Zombies, Aliens, Mind control, skull removal and what more could you want? Also forgot to mention another movie from Weird House for Weird House, Latitude Zero with Joseph Cotton, Caesar Romero, brains into animals, Batmanions, Submarine Warfare, Shangri La. All courtesy of Ishiro Honda, Keep Them Coming, Dean, Well, Dean, I looked up some stuff about both of these movies. I've never seen either one. So Latitude Zero is a sci fi movie about a group of Bathisphere explorers who by chance get transported to a secret underwater utopia called Latitude Zero, which I understand is located right at the intersection of the Equator and the International date Line. And in this underwater kingdom, all the people who have ever been lost at sea around the world are gathered to live in peace and harmony and explore scientific frontiers hidden from the world above. But there is also an evil guy who wants to destroy them for some reason, and he creates giant mutant rats, and he loves cross species cross species brain transplants like Doctor Doom type stuff. So it's a plot that sounds in some ways similar to Atragon, but with these Doctor Doom elements. So I'm or Doctor of Doom maybe was that what it was?
Speaker 2: The Doctor Doom?
Speaker 3: Doctor of Doom? Yeah, sorry, Doctor of Doom, the wrestling movie that involves brain transplants, and so yeah, we covered Atragon in the past. We did Doctor of Doom in the past. This seems like a nice, nice mashup.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I haven't seen this one either, but yeah, another Japanese directed super submarine movie.
Speaker 3: I guess that is a genre, isn't it. I guess they sort of trace back to twenty thousand Leagues under the Sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then the other one Dean mentions in this email is Horror Express. I've also never seen this one, though I would like to. From a distance. It seems like if if Hammer Horror did a movie that was a cross between The Thing from Another World and Murder on the Orient Express. Though I think it's not actually Hammer. It just looks like a Hammer movie and has a very Hammer cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one is if Memory serves either a Spanish production or a Spanish co production. Number of Spanish filmmakers are involved in it. I have seen this one before and it is a lot of fun. I mean, it's got a great cast. You got Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Telly Savala is playing I Believe a Cossack. And you also have some familiar faces from Spanish genre cinema of the day. Helgaalini is in it, or Helga Line, who we've talked about in various films such as Horror, Rises from the Tomb and so forth. Some places you'll see it erroneously stated that Paul Nashy is in this, but he is not. There's just there's a character in it with a big beard in some shots kind of looks like Paul Nashy. But anyway, this one is okay. This has been on a list for a while and we actually talked about this film a little bit with Christian Back in the day. We did an episode dealing with this pseudoscientific concept of the late eighteen hundreds called retinal optography, which was this idea that you could see the last image that a dead man saw by looking at their retina, and it is utilized to fantastic sci fi degree in this picture. There are a number of just wonky sci fi concepts that they run wild with in this film, so it's a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 3: What is the last image a dead man saw well.
Speaker 2: The idea was you could potentially use it to see like a murder victim's killer like that that image would somehow be retrievable from the retina, that you could get in there with the magnifying glass and you could see the image and then capture the image and even use that image in a court of law. In the context of this film, if memory serves, it has to do with a like a frozen prehistoric man and then being able to look in his eyes and see like a dinosaur or something. So it's got like I said, it's it's wacky and fun and definitely has that gothic horror feel. It's also a train movie, so it's actually been on my list of potential weird House selections for a while. But I think one of the things that's always helped me back is we've also talked about doing a train related stuff to Blow your Mind episode in October, and I've always kind of thought, well, these two would pair up nicely, but that just means they're like two levers to pull to see it come to fruition.
Speaker 3: Horror movies on trains, that seems like it's a very narrow genre, but it goes deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the plot's a bit on the rails, you know, but it's it's a lot of fun. Who doesn't love a good good train mystery. And this one has a very cool monster and again great cast, so that alone is worth checking in on. All right, looks like we have one left, and this one is from Joe, a different Joe. Joe says fellas huge fan. It's always a kick to see a seemingly boring show subject only for y'all to find a way to make it amazingly interesting. Dust and it was great. Ha ha ha. I'm blind, lost auction in to my optic nerves about six years ago, and now I can't see squad. I loved weird and quirky movies even when they were bad. You could find the good in them. A lot of movies before say, twenty tenish, and absolutely none of those types of films include descriptive audio for the blind or visually impaired. More films now come with them, but you'd have to get really, really lucky to find something from the seventies or eighties with a descriptive audio track. So y'all going through some I was able to watch before the lights went out, and others I won't get to physically see any longer. It's nice to have the podcast as a companion piece. If I can't watch or rewatch and really follow, then your summaries, reviews and anecdotes about the movies are a reasonable bronze or silver metal. I absolutely enjoy anyway you asked, so email sent all the best. Thanks for the edutainment, Joe.
Speaker 3: I deny the charge of edutainment, but I'm really glad you get enjoyment out of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's you know, I hadn't really you know, I had thought this much about the descriptive audio tracks, but yeah, you see on them more and more nowadays, and it you know, it's a great addition to these releases and you know, digital or otherwise. But yeah, I guess you go back further and you're gonna find less and less of that, unless I guess it's like a pivotal piece of cinema that is getting like a really nice re release and or is held to a large degree to be culturally important or at least commercially important. And obviously a lot of your weirder films are going to fall through the cracks in that area. Yeah, all right, we're going to go ahead and close the mail bag right there, but we'll be back next week, hopefully with more listener mail. But we have to admit the mail bags starting to get a little bit thin at this point. We need to hear from more folks. So if you have thoughts about, say, our recent series on cicadas, you have other summertime thoughts, summertime episode requests, write in. We would love to hear from you. Summertime movies for Weird House Cinema so forth. What kind of movies do you get into watching when the weather gets hot? Are you a blockbuster person? Or do your interest go in a different direction. Anything of this nature is perfectly fair game, so let us know the listener mails. Publish on Mondays and the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast feed. We're primarily a science podcast, science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays, we tend to do a short form episode and throughout the month of July we're going to be putting out a bunch of alien themed monster facts. So I'm looking forward to putting those together and let's see. Yeah, on Fridays, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.