Speaker 1: And welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network, Detroit Tiger's podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Kieren Steckley with.
Speaker 1: Me and as always as a man who never takes a break from being an All Star, he's Cody Stevenagg And how we doing.
Speaker 3: All right, Kieran. We made it. We've made it to the All Star break. The first half and some change of the season is over. And what a weird first half it was. We're here to break it all down. Yeah, man, where are we even starting?
Speaker 1: Well, Look, it's been a journey, obviously, I think is a good way to kind of put it, and one that has had a lot of like ups and downs, and you know, you think you know something and then you know then the opposite happens, and then you just realize you don't know anything. And that's really this Tigers team. I still don't. I feel like I have a firm grasp on what I can like confidently say will happen moving forward. Uh, but you know, like like and honestly, like, I think that was reflected in the game today, Cody.
Speaker 2: We're recording this Sunday evening.
Speaker 1: Like I think today like we saw an emotionally and physically too, obviously, but emotionally and physically spent baseball team. That's kind of what I what I and and you know, schoobl being Schooble is obviously an exception to a lot of things in this I don't think Schooble was spent, uh, you know, in this game. But but like you have two one infield single on a routine round ball, almost a second one. That's really just not having the sense of urgency or I guess maybe the pure arm strength, which is something we've talked about before U to get get the ball from the left.
Speaker 2: Side of the enfield over the first base.
Speaker 1: You have Montero not you know, backing up a throw at a home plate, and like all these kind of like little things just kind of it just made me think, like, Okay, yes, so this team you have the hype at the beginning of the season, and then you know, have the injuries, and you have this huge slide and then that sense of urgency that we've talked about, how every game seems to have like a big feel to it, and every bat and every pitching change and every pinch it and like all these things, it just kind of felt like this was this game felt like and of course it's Zach Wheeler on the freaking mount. This game felt like the tax that the team has kind of put itself through throughout the quote you know, first half of the season. Like it as much as like schoolbol versus Wheeler, you know, and you kind of like want to talk yourself into it kind of being like a playoff game feel and and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I thought the more prevalent.
Speaker 1: Emotion, I guess was the fact that this just looked like a tired baseball team that I'm not saying they take like tank the game or anything like that. I just think this was the result of a team that really needed like a real break.
Speaker 2: I think I think that's what we saw.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting observation, and obviously it's backed by what happened on the field. I would say there is a little bit of a last day of school effect in the final game before the All Star break, everyone's looking to get out of town. I think I've kind of experienced this every year i've covered the team, even last year they had six All Stars. They had guys, you know, I had to get to the All Star game. You would like to think that that wouldn't hit you, affect you in a situation where every game means so much. But I don't know. You know, you lost this weekend to Christopher Sanchez and Zach Wheeler. You could say, oh, look the Tigers face some real pitching and they did absolutely nothing. That's kind of true. You could say, I don't know, man, Like this was always going to be a tough series to win. It would have been cool if school, if Schoogle could have outdueled Wheeler and the offense showed some life, it didn't happen. Listening to aj Hinch after the game, he was still really positive. He said, hey, he was a foreign two homestand and I mostly think he's right. The Tigers are playing good baseball. They're continuing to pitch well. Schoogle only allowed one run. We're gonna talk about him more. Mies wasn't as sharp on Saturday, but kind of grinded through his outing a little bit. The Tigers have still gained a lot of ground. They are somewhat within shouting distance, especially the wild card. They're actually back to six and a half in the division. But if they come out of the break playing well, they can still mount a case. I don't really think losing this series to the Phillies should dampen kind of this cinemamentum this team has built.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again it just it looks bad. That was probably the problem with these two losses. Like again the Sanchez we other piece of this you're just you're hapless is probably too strong, but you're just not getting anything done at the plate, and then you're allowed and then when you're kind of searching for breaks, which is obviously what happened on Friday, Like you know, and I think the way that they went on Friday kind of affected like you know, not being able to get one of the last two there. Uh, like you got a couple of breaks in Friday night's game with some errors and you know, and and you know, bounces your way didn't happen at all Saturday and certainly Sunday, including like you know, Derek Hill just like tracking down every single ball in the outfield. It felt like if it was at the center. I was like, all right, I kind of turned my head away. I just assumed Derek Hill was gonna go catch that, you know, and of course what he did at the plate as well, so it just felt like the perfect formula for this team to go down this way.
Speaker 2: And if you want to just.
Speaker 1: Put it out there and put it on them, that like the fact that they couldn't rise to the occasion and this specific circumstances is reminiscent or like the perfect example as to why this team is something something that we should not take too seriously. I get where you're coming from. I just have a hard time getting all the way there on this. Given the level of competition, given what we had seen since June one, twenty one and thirteen since June won. You know, you come out if you would have said that the Tigers were eight games below the five hundred mark and obviously within shouting distance of the division and a bunch of teams for the wild card, you know, in late May, you would have considered this like a really good stretch and the team was fighting its footing and you know all that stuff. So the macro piece of this I think should should be acknowledged, even if the micro it just didn't feel good watching it in the moment.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think the Tigers are gonna win the Al Central. Karen, I mean, like, I don't know, I don't know even losing you know, two games a ground the last two days does kind of feel heavy. It's a lot to overcome. But like, are the White Sox really going to win this division? And if not, who or the misso Twins gonna win this division? Come on, Like, if the Tigers continue to pitch the way they are doing, this is a achievable. This is attainable. Obviously is going to be very difficult, and obviously you got to start making that math look a little better before the August third trade deadlines. To the same conversation we've been having for a long time, But I like the way this team is playing. I generally think this is the most talented team in the division. And this thing is not over. It's going to be really I mean, you get to come out of the break and face the Angels, who are terrible and who beat you two out of three at home last time you saw. You know, if you want to make clear that hey, May's in the past and we are this team that can make the playoffs, good thing to do would be to sweep the Angels, because then you might look up in the standings and really start to feel good about where you're at. It's going to be an interesting couple weeks when we get back from the break. I don't know what's going to happen. I'm not going to make a prediction as to what's going to happen. But I do believe, and largely because we have seen it so much recently, there is a good team here right like it exists, is not over. And that's a little bit of a testament to these guys in the clubhouse for not just packing it in after May, right, I think for the second year in a row, Like it's funny we go back to last year and there's so much made of like the offense claps in the second half, and it did, but the pitching collapse too. They the lack of depth of arms really showed up. I think maybe for the second year in a row, the Tigers can go as far as they're pitching takes them. The bar might just be even higher this time, and he's continued to be the elite best pitching staff in baseball like it has been since June first.
Speaker 4: Many people have this problem.
Speaker 3: I want to eat healthy.
Speaker 4: I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 5: I mean you go to Factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains, and they always come in the house was I'm looking for food. Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in andke it right away.
Speaker 4: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains, more protein, fresh, never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code foul fifty o FF to get fifty percent off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty six.
Speaker 1: All right, well, look, it's fair to say that if the Tigers are going to go far, it will probably include Trek Scoogle remaining on this roster and and so like. We'll get to some trade deadline hypotheticals here at a second, But first regarding the game tonight, you know it's been funny fans wanted want Terror Schooble to stay with the team, and Terror School wanted to stay in the game. Today on Sunday, Cody, because you know, he gets pulled there in the in the sixth inning after a tough battle with Bryce Harper, you know, Montero comes in. We obviously you know, you know know what happened after that, But it was a you don't get this kind of like Trek's Schooble angst about coming out, Like I felt like that was like more palpable than normal from him, not just the competitor stuff. No, most of the time when he gets pulled, he's like, you know, but this time he could like he felt you could tell he felt like, I just don't really agree. That's me making up a statement from him. Obviously he didn't quote this, but he just didn't agree with being taken.
Speaker 2: Out of there.
Speaker 3: He had more left, you know, And of course he was very clear to say, I'm not second guess in aj. I respect his decisions. I'm not trying to create a story. But he wanted to stay in the game, and he wasn't afraid to admit that. I think it's interesting, Like so many people seem to always want him to throw more pitches, right, and it is like, okay, so where's the cutoff? Because one more batter he could be at ninety eight, ninety nine, one hundred, all right. It's very unlike aj Hinch to leave anyone in beyond that, So as leaving schoobl In for one more batter doing any good? Like, I think the bigger picture here, And I kind of said and asked this Tottererk after the game. He would have had a much better case to stay in this game. At the fifth inning didn't last twenty seven pitches, and if the Bryce Harper at bat didn't last ten pitches, Bryce Harper took Trek Scuoble out of this game. He was supposed to have ten to fifteen pitches to work with. Harper used up ten of them, poked a ball and got on base, and it wasn't necessarily poor execution, but he didn't get out of that count. He kind of struggled getting out of two strike counts to his usual ability all day and that's why the pitch count built up. You know, would it be great to see Terrek Scoober will go more than ninety three? Sure, I think he was upset because there's a second straight game, even you know, with only five innings to his name. He talked earlier this week about wanting to be a Justin Erlander type guy who goes and takes down innings, you know, like the old school, the pitchers of old That's not the modern reality. And for whatever reason with Terrek, it plays into this bigger narrative. There's a little bit of a tangent here, and like, why do people think he like asked out of Game five. I've never understood where that came from. People think he requested out of that game, and that's not what was said. That's not my injury. Like it's it's not like Trek Skoubel determines how long he pitches. That's a j Anshes's decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well man, deep cut there as we as.
Speaker 3: He gets well, that's all I heard listening to the radio on the way home. It's like, this is like Game five. He wants to stay in Detroit, but he doesn't want to stay longer than that. It's like, I, I don't know he got pulled from both those games. After Game five he did say something like I indeed my tank I believe because he knew that was going to be his last inning, or he knew he wasn't gonna see who was at Pilanco another time. So that's getting way down in the weeds. Interesting managerial decision, because Scobold was having a good day, maybe you could have left him in, tried to get him through that inning. To hear Aj Hinchen explain it, he liked having cater Montero in the bullpen. He wanted to bring in Cater. I just think the history of aj Hinch managing games, and really almost every modern manager is you're probably not gonna go over one hundred pitches. So this is more semantics here. If wanted to stay longer in the game, he shouldn't have thrown as many pitches up to five plus innings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of stole my point there at the end. Like my first of all, if there's any like if you watch Trek Scouobold do anything and then you doubt his competitive drive, I just don't know how many things we're gonna have in common in general, you know what I mean when we're trying to talk about baseball and our understanding of this game. So if you have doubts about that, it's gonna be hard for me to engage with you number one. Number two, I look at like these like pitching decisions that AJ makes that like I like, you know, I wouldn't have done not to say I'm some baseball genius, but like I would love school in there.
Speaker 2: But like again, that doesn't make me right.
Speaker 1: Uh, Like I believe that the bigger deal is, like you said, getting to this point where you're in the sixth inning and you're at ninety three pitches or whatever because you couldn't punch guys out because they kept fouling you off because like you know, you had a walk or two or whatever like that, Like these these all those things had just as much to do with with that decision as just like Bryce Harper found off a couple of pitches there at the end, you know, and you're kind of emptying the tank, as he says, As he has said before. Number two, these decisions become a whole lot simpler if the offense had a four spot up already, you know, like like the fact that the offense hadn't done squat to that point and really the whole game, well they have two hits, like that that that is also why like AJ's like, I just can't I mean, I'm guessing he's thinking, I just can't risk a fatigue picture no matter who it is, a fatigue picture in a one nothing game, when I got to try to keep this deficit as little as possible or you know the same, hopefully you know. And then Monteo comes in there, he takes a ball off his leg, he hangs a it was a split no whatever you hung to Roomudo there that you know was over the plate, and and so like and and so like it worked against you. But you but if you have four runs on the board, if you have three runs on the board, maybe there's a little bit more of a.
Speaker 2: Leash for schoobl or whoever.
Speaker 1: The picture is, so all these things like factor in uh, just as much in my mind than just like, oh, I'd rather like it's not a nutshell argument, I guess is the way to summarize my tangent here. It's not like in a nutshell what did you rather have Tark Schooble or Kada Montera?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Like that that's not how it works, you know.
Speaker 3: So Yeah, there's also the conspiracy theory that like the Tigers are babying Schooble because they want to trade him, to which I would say, like, this guy had surgery not all that long ago. A j was kind of always clear they were going to be somewhat cautious, and he's pitching pretty dang close to his normal workload. I don't think you're trying to push him one hundred and ten pitches here in July because either you want this guy pitching for you in the postseason deep into October, or yeah, maybe you are going to trade him. But like, I don't I don't think that's some like I don't think we need to act like it's a conspiracy. Yeah, I don't quite get that. I think if weird ask Aj, he'd probably say something effect of like yeah, yeah, yeah, surgery, like what two months ago, less than barely two months ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's a good theme there, Cody, because the other like, there is no conspiracy.
Speaker 2: It could be, could be, it could be.
Speaker 1: It could be applied to a lot of things, including like Tarrek's own motivation all that stuff. And then you know there's that report out today that he wants to remain uh in Detroit.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, because he thinks, like, hey, you want to win some games, and you know, thinks they can have a run or whatever, uh, which which would be awesome, but it but like if if he does end up getting traded, that doesn't mean there was a conspiracy that School will like lied about wanting to stay on the team and you know, like all these things, right Like, I think, I think I do genuinely believe Tarrek Schoogle wants to win here in Detroit. I also believe that Trek Schoogle if the if, if the decisions are made outside of his own control, he's also gonna embrace whatever that opportunity is as well, Right Like, I think all these things can be true and they're not conspiratorial. Okay, So so yeah, I guess that's that's our trade deadline update, is that Terrek School doesn't want to be traded.
Speaker 3: You got any Yeah, that was according to a report from Bob Nightingale. That was according to schoobl what School has told his friends. It's also not clear where that report originated. It's not in Bob's column. If I'm missing where this actually came from, someone send it to me. But I'm not even sure this is real. It's very weird. It's also like we just got to start applaying common sense. There are all these little reports that are just kind of obvious, Oh, a player doesn't want to get traded. Not that many players are actively looking to get traded in the middle of the season. It's a really stressful thing to go through. There might be a few guys who are like truly miserable or something. But like I do, I think if Trek Scooble had it his way, the Tigers would just start winning some games, and he would love to finish out the season here and then he's probably gonna test free agency. Those two things can coexist, believe it or not. That's hard for people to wrap their minds around for some reason. Also, like again the common sense thing, getting traded kind of sucks, especially when you have two kids who are under what two and a half years old. You're gonna move your family across the country in a blink and live in a hotel for a couple of months. Like that's not really ideal when you have a young family. You know, like there are all these other factors that goes into it. So I believe Trek Scooble would prefer to not get traded. He's been talking about wanting to make a comeback and make a World Series run here with the Tigers, And then I'm hearing people like, WHOA, Well, if you really wanted to stay here, he would sign an extension, Like, I don't know he wants to stay here for the next couple of months. Is he wants to stay here for the rest of his life. I don't know. He's probably gonna go to whoever pays him the most money, Like, and that's fine, doesn't That doesn't mean he's like one foot out the door. I think he is adult enough to compartmentalize and again to your point here, and I think this guy's not competitive and doesn't want to win, Like watch him freaking pitch. This dude is intense as it gets. I think he's trying to win every time he goes out out there. And then this off season is like its own thing. We got to get to the off season first, and we're not there yet, so he can want to stay here and he'll probably eventually leave. And I think both of those things are fine.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I feel like I will remember most about this season. Is the discourse surrounding school bl getting way more. I'll be nice and say muddy, then it ever really needed to be. And I think it's a disservice to the caliber a player he is and what he's done for the franchise and and what and what he's done to kind of represent the city through his play and his and his profile. To me, it just it's it's actually really sad. It's actually really sad that we're having, like is tek Schooble you know, competitive enough, you know, cut type type discussions that you know that just come across as disingenuous, Like just just tell me you don't actually have something to say and then we can move on.
Speaker 2: Uh, it would be my advice.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, we we we have to uh we have to recognize this is the biggest story moving forward. It's gonna be it's gonna be talked about at the All Star break, it's gonna be talked about moving forward. The Tigers have sixteen games to to say like, hey, this is the this is the best way forward, you know, you think of like August third, it's like, okay.
Speaker 2: Well the sixteen games, Cody, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's sixteen games before before this, before a decision has to be made, so you know, we we shall see, and obviously we'll be covering it all the way. All right, Cody wanted to remind everybody that Tiger Territory is brought to you by FanDuel and we're gonna make a daily Dinger pick here and it's and really I just want to use this as an opportunity to talk about Eduardo Valencia and just how special of a of a weekend. I mean, this guy had obviously first MLB hit home run center field. Like the emotion just a pure joy, you know, throw in like the family and like you know, the home country elements here and it's just like the long journey. I mean, it's one of those things that you know, if you were there or if you watched it live, you'll probably remember for a long time. And then you throw in the fact that he was five of ten on this you know, since being called up two home runs, three Ribbies, he does look comfortable in the batter's box, Cody, And this obviously what move was necessitated by the injury. Now obviously he's okay, Dylan Dingler with the hand contusion.
Speaker 2: But they did not.
Speaker 1: Decide to put him on IL obviously, they figured he was going to be healthy enough. They decided to DFA Jami Jones. So one, but you you know, just take us through your your experience with Valencia and his debut and you know, and and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: And then two, is this the role? Does he have an actual role moving forward?
Speaker 1: Or is this sort of a kind of a spark. He'll go back down to Toledo eventually and then you know, we'll kind of do this up and down thing for a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, look, the debut. I assume most of you guys have watched it or at least seen the interview. If you haven't, go watch the interview he did with Danielle Bruce. It was really good, you know, and it reflects on who Valencia is what everyone says about him. This is one of the most popular players in the organization. I mean, everyone who came up with him in the minor leagues loves this guy for that exact enthusiasm and positive spirit he carries. That's something you kind of have to carry to take the longer journey to the major leagues like he did. So a truly rewarding moment very cool to witness. As for kind of the immediate prognosis here, it's really interesting. I think what the Tigers will do with Valencia. It sounds to me like they want to keep him on this roster. Post All Star break, we will see somewhat determine what the matchups look like. Right maybe who else is at their disposal, but no one's I don't think there's another big roster decision point until Labor Torrez is ready to return, and it's not super clear when that is going to be. It's not going to be right after the All Star breaks, So I'm kind of thinking they roll with Valencia, and then I personally wonder how much of his future is also kind of tied to what the Tigers decide to do at the trade deadline. Remember, Jake Rogers is a free agent after the season. I know Jake's you know, offensive numbers are not impressible, though, man did he ever step up also in the absence of Dylan Dingler, maybe enough to remind some evaluators that he can still hit a little bit too. So if Jay, if the Tigers are out of it and they were to move Jake, you know, Valencia is obviously kind of the guy. I think, who's going to get that playing time If they can't move Jake, no one wants them and they're out of it. Does the whole team chemistry thing that Jake provides really matter anymore? Or would they just want to play the younger guy see what they got now? If the Tigers are in it, I think they would keep Jake Rogers for the dependable defense, the leadership that he provides, the stability behind the scenes, and so then it's like, Okay, well, valency is not gonna catch much. He's capable of playing first, but he's not really going to play first hardly at all. Are you comfortable with the guy that young basically taking over the Jamai Jones role or do you want him playing more consistently. I don't know. Maybe there's a world where they buy and they get themselves another right handed bat and once he goes back down. But I do think it's interesting that he's shown he can hit major league pitching, at least in this small sample. He's given the team something to think about. And it may be as simple as if he continues to hit, dude's probably gonna stay on the roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I I would not. Like there's of all the crazy scenarios that this season could still lay out in front of us, Cody like Scott Harris calling Valencia's addition to the major league roster a like an acquisition to the major league roster, like you know, kind of framing it that way as if a guy coming back from injury like boost the team or whatever, like that's very much in play, like like that Valencia becomes this like the right handed, uh you know, platoon bat addition. And I don't know, maybe maybe I'm still kind of like in the moment not thinking like big picture enough.
Speaker 2: I would. I would.
Speaker 1: I would be a okay with him having the Jamia Jones role plus like to my Jones role plus where he gets like a little bit more of a runway not just exclusively against Lettis or whatever.
Speaker 2: And you kind of we don't necessarily need him to work.
Speaker 1: On the catching stuff like all that much this season if he's going to be continued to rake and and and actually impact the team that way, like I would, I would be comfortable enough with that. Now That's probably why I don't work in front offices, because that's very narrow minded, but that but that's just kind of how I feel like. If the bat is that real, I'm not sacrificing it right now when you're still trying to win and get to meaningful baseball games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the bat is pretty real. What exactly does that look like at the major league level, I'm not sure, but I think I think the dude can hit for power, and if he can hit for enough average to justify at bats, you know there's a guy who can stay in this organization for a long time. Now. The catching defense, I'm not overly optimistic one. I know they're trying to say he improved kind of subtly in all the facets in triple A, but you know, we watched just first start, and we watched our pal Derek Hill run all around the bases on him, even though he probably was out at third. But didn't love that. And I don't think it's going to be a whole lot better at first. That's probably one of the reasons Valencia had not gotten a call up before this. You know, there's just a lot to work on in other aspects of his game. But popular guy off to a great start. One of those dudes, you do kind of have to have to root for a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, well said, so to recap, he is our daily dinger pick. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash Podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms It's sport book dot FanDuel dot com gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: All right, coming back here.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk a lot about the immediacy of this season, Cody, but this also was like a futures weekend in a way because MLB Draft occurred this week and we talked a little bit about it earlier last week, and you know, said like, all right, here's some prep guys, the left handers that you know, you feel like the Tigers might be able to snag, but feel like they might like these traits, you know that they and none of.
Speaker 2: Them, not not anything.
Speaker 1: Like that occurred the first first selection for the Tigers, their number one pick, Cameron Fluky, a college pitcher, right hander from Coastal Carolina. And I'm gonna do some quick math here. One, two, three, Three of the first five picks were college pitchers for the Tigers. They did take a prep shortstop in the fourth round.
Speaker 2: But he's a right.
Speaker 7: So so we uh so just just like crumple it all up and throw out everything you thought about the Tigers and and who they who they love drafting.
Speaker 1: But but it seems like if we're just going to focus on the Fluky pick is obviously it's the most noteworthy being the number one pick of their draft. This did feel like a good value for the Tigers because he came into this like if he doesn't pitch, what was it seven games this year?
Speaker 2: Is that what it was? Uh if if if.
Speaker 1: He has a normal season, he's probably not available at twenty two, it would be my guess. So he falls there, and you know, don't look at his last season's numbers. He had a stress fracture in his rib. If he in case you guys didn't see so uh so he was recovering from that injury and uh, you know, never really found his form. But it's easy to see why evaluators like fall in love with him. He's got good v low, he's got good he's got good uh break, and he is a lot of fun to watch pitch. I don't know if this is a scouting term, Cody, but I watched highlights of him and he's like whippy, like like like yeah yeah yeah so so like and it's also very vertical base. There's not a whole lot of horizontal movement with his rotation.
Speaker 2: Was he six y six?
Speaker 1: He's got good extension and and and top end arm slot there. So like, look, we're not gonna like give a deep breakdown here, but it seems like it's a pick that I like. It's a pick that I like. The upside's there. Obviously there's always a need for pitching in general. But then, you know, the whole point of what we've been talking about with this podcast for the past couple of months, the major league team is a little bit uh free agent to be heavy when it comes to starting pitching rotation. So never a got a bad idea to invest in starting pitching in your organization. So any thoughts on Fluky. I know you guys had a chance to talk talk with him, and and and and and and anything else from this this draft.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean I think you and I should really get all the credit for this pick. I think the Tiger's clear they got tired of us making fun of them for taking left handed shortstops and under scouted kids from cold weather states. So and they did what I wanted to do. They took pitching. They actually addressed needs in their system. They said they weren't addressing their needs. That's how the draft board fell. That is somewhat true. There was a real run on hitters early in this draft, and that's part of the reason a player like Cameron Fluky, even with the injury, was available at twenty two. Again, the guy probably you know, for entering the year kind of looked at as a top ten pick. The twenty twenty five College World Series, this guy held LSU to six or to one run over six innings. I think he struck out nine. That was really his like his statement game. I kind of liked this pick a lot. Another thing they listened this guy throws hard, all right, he throws ninety seven ninety eight, and according to Cameron Fluki can really still get bigger, stronger, type of guy who seems like he could be touching triple digits with a couple tweaks and gain a little more size. So, wow, we're caring about stuff now. I like it now. He does have a Tigers type thing, which is a big arm angle over the top. There's actually some thought that's made its fastball more hittable because it has such a downward slope, even though it actually gets a great vertical ride. But it's been a hittable pitch at times. Maybe have to have that outlier arm angle that the Tigers seem to like six' Six. Whippi the twelve six curveball is the main secondary. Option the knock on him this year is kind of, like, well is he really throwing the curve or the slider for, strikes because you, know upper level hitters might not just chase that as. Freely i'm really watching the change up a pitch THAT i guess got a decent amount swinging miss for him in twenty, five but he barely used when he came back from injury this. SEASON i think that'll be really important to help him get left handed batters. Out seems to me like a guy The tigers could tweak his change up grip or maybe get right to work on teaching this guy a, cutter and the potential could be super sky high even if that doesn't happen. Here AND i think the floor could be like a like An alex laying, right, big, hard throwing power. Curveball you know you'd like your first round pick to be a, starter but that wouldn't be the. Worst and then the ceiling is is it a poor men's Like Jacob? Mazerowski LIKE i think it might be given the size the velo and ability to spin. It and Remember Jacob mizerowski was not all that highly. Toubted some people thought he was going to be a, Reliever so they're really good tools to work. With it would be a really good test case for The tigers pitching, development which even though things haven't gone great for them on the, farm they're definitely still some really bright pitching people in this. Organization And fluky seems like someone who's an adjustment or two away from making everyone kick themselves for not picking him.
Speaker 1: Higher it's an infusion of talent for those guys to work with in fluky and ALSO i think if he, could if he could work in that that like, straighter not, straighter but like that tighter slider That casey mys. Throws, YEAH i, THINK i, THINK i, think, YEAH i think that'd be that'd be. Great and and so, Yeah i'll just name a couple of guys that seemed like the industry like really liked the. Pick one of them Was Dominic, pelegrin who was the aforementioned high school, shortstop really late, riser apparently undersounded guy. Here, yeah and, uh but like seemed like everyone kind of like thought, like, okay this is like one of the sleepers of, like, uh of the first several rounds of the. Draft already HE'S i think he's already said he's gonna, sign but don't quote me on.
Speaker 2: That and then we have A.
Speaker 1: Will, adams who is a corner infielder From, Hoover, alabama is another one that if you're going into later, rounds people are, like all, right like this this seems like some guy who's got the, tools and if you can work with this and he could develop, this he could become like a nice player in your. Organization, obviously no one's putting out like huge amounts of hype on on twelfth round. Picks but look like Tech school is a ninth round, pick like these things can, happen so so so, YEAH i think those are those are just a couple of names that seemed like industry people were like high on and wanted to.
Speaker 2: Highlight so as as always we shall.
Speaker 1: See BUT i did THINK i did, laugh you, know because like how come need never actually happens in. Drafts it's always it's always our board broke this way when it just happens of coincide With, need just what one of the one of the stranger coincidences we have in the. Game All, RIGHT i wanted to, mom we just wrap up, here CAN i JUST i just use like ten seconds ten seconds to, say LIKE i still love You Derek, Hill LIKE i still love watching him play. BASEBALL i like, like, like you, know the family was one of the first like kind of consistent listeners of the.
Speaker 2: Podcast they're always so nice to, us you know WHAT i.
Speaker 1: Mean And derek always like like he always seemed to have like a good like head on his, shoulders even though like you, know like the status of the first round pick or, whatever never really netted here In, detroit like like like maybe hoped it. Would i'm so happy for him every TIME i see him make a big, play have a, hit you, know run a ball down the outfield LIKE i.
Speaker 2: Can't i'll never stop hating, you. Dude SO i just wanted to say.
Speaker 1: That shout Out Derek, hill you, know like you still still doing your thing in the major leagues in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Six fun, player really. Likeable he's obviously gotten through a, lot done a lot to keep himself. Afloat you Watch Shreyk, hill what he, do what he's, doing it's kind of reminder of like why teams don't like to give up on guys who are really athletic or guys who have certain traits LIKE i don't, Know we're gonna see what happens With Parker meadows at the end of the year With Max clark starting to knock on the, Door but, like you, know are you sure you just want to let a guy like that go off to another. Team it's obviously Taking Derek, hill what six or seven, teams and he's still never quite found like staying. Power but there are a lot of things like about the way that young man plays the, game and the reason other words keep taking chances on him is because he's, Fast he's an athletic. Defender it seems, like you, know whatever adjustment he's made at the box now looks like it can play a little bit at the major league, level probably more than it could when he was with The. Tigers so, yeah talk about guys that you root, For Derek hill certainly one of.
Speaker 1: Them all, right, well we will still have episodes this, week still kind of breaking down the schedule a little bit about when they will, air but we will still, have you, know two more episodes after this one this, Week so be sure to be following us on x, foman On twitter At Hoe Steven, HAGEN, I Matt Kieran, Underscore deckley pot page At Tiger, Territory, Underscore, YouTube, Apple, spotify wherever you, listen wherever you, watch we are, there know what to. Do we appreciate all of. You so for Coach David, Hagen I'm Keenan. Steckley, everybody have a great, day