Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Greece. When I hear or see the word judge, I have a lot of mixed emotions. Several judges help me in contempt. Several judges made bad rulings that hurt my case. Several judges that I practiced in front, I've made horrible mistakes that ended up getting cases reversed. On the other hand, most judges I've ever encountered and or practiced before are some of the most decent and honorable people I've ever met. So exactly how does a Texas judge end up sentenced to the death penalty? I mean, see Grace, this is Crime Stories. Thank you for being with us here at Crime Stories and on Serious XM one eleven. Let's just start at the beginning. Take a listen to.
Speaker 2: This January thirty. First, a nine to one to one call comes in. The caller tells the operator that a man has been shot. Around nine am. Five shots were fired and seconds later three more shots were fired. Police arrived at the scene swiftly and find Chief Assistant District Attorney for the Kaufman County Criminal District Attorney's Office, Mark hassee bleeding. No traces were left at the crime scene, not even bullet casings the only evidence eyewitnesses. One witness said the shooter was completely dressed in black and after firing the shots, jumped into the back seat of a white sedan and disappeared. Another witness, according to medium dot Com, said he heard Hassee shotting loudly. No, no, I'm sorry, Hasse dies.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, I'm trying to drink in everything that I just heard. A prosecutor in the Kaufman County dish Attorney's office mark Hasse is dead. No traces left behind as to who the perp could be. The shooter observed by a witness clad totally in black, which says this was premeditated and the park dressed up like a ninja, and that Hasse pled for his life. That's what I know right now. Joining me in All Star panel, but first I want to go to special guests. Hayden Sparks joining us, senior reporter for The Texan and you can find Hayden at the Texan dot News. Hayden, thank you for being with us. Let's just start with Hesse's death. What can you tell me about it?
Speaker 3: I think you highlighted one of the most disturbing aspects of this case, and that is that he pled for his life before he died. This type of violence is something that one would expect a war torn country, not a peaceful community on abouts of Dallas. And I think the death of Mark is tragic.
Speaker 1: I know this much. Let me go to renowned medical examiner and pathologist, former detective with the Lexington County Sheriff's Department thru Us to the forefront of our media generation during the Alex Murdog double homicide case, author of money, mischief and murder, the Murdog saga. The rest of the story. I'm referring, of course, to doctor Michelle Duprie. You can find her at d Michelle dupremd dot com. I know this, doctor Duprix. I know that ballistics show that the victim, Mark Hasse, was shot with an assault rifle. Wow, well, can you tell me about assault rifles and what damage would that do to a human body.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's atrocious. Actually, assault rifles do a lot of damage because of high velocity and so it will literally leave holes, gaping holes in the body. And I haven't seen the autopsy report, but from what I have seen, he was shot multiple times.
Speaker 1: With this shot multiple times with an assault rifle. To Alan Bennett joining me, a former district attorney now civil attorney at Gunter Bennett and ANTHISGBA firm dot com. Alan, thank you for being with us. What is your experience with assault rifles and how are they different from let's just say twenty two or thirty eight.
Speaker 5: Well, and you're absolutely correct, Nancy. An assault rifle is generally thought of as its name implais, it is a rifle used to commit assaults. Typical examples will be an AR fifteen carried by our US military and AK forty seven carried by Soviet former Soviet block countries. They're generally regarded as military weapons used by members of a standing army, large capacity magazines, extremely high velocity bullets which do tremendous damage to the human body, primarily designed to be used on a battlefield.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember the first time I saw an assault weapon used. It was in a murder case. And what I especially remember about it is the defense attorney who later became a prosecutor, Paul Howard. His defense was transferred intent because who his defendant murdered was a little schoolboy named Moonbeam. His nickname played in the school band and was going home to his mom after school, and the defendants meant to shoot another drug dealer, but they shot this little kid instead, who in the end was crawling toward his home calling out for his mother. And I saw that weapon and held it in court. It was one of the ugliest I've ever seen. Looked like a machine gun, and it looked like it had been spray painted Matt black. That's what an assault rifle is like. It's pure evil, and that's what was used. Multiple rounds pumped into these victims. And when I say victims, that's right. The first victim was prosecutor Mark Hasse. And back to you again, Alan Bennett. When you prosecuted as I don't know if you went through this, but I did you get threats. You get death threats. I had my tire slash, my front door kicked in, my mailbox locked over, blah blah blah. But I think in the back of my mind, I never really thought that anyone was going to kill me. I don't know why I thought that after so many attacks on my car and my my house and threats, but I never really thought it would happen. What about you.
Speaker 5: I'm in that same boat, Nancy, and I think part of that is just our human conditioning to think, well, that's just so extreme, that is so rare. It's in that same mindset of thinking, well, that will never happen to me. That's something that only happens to other people. You only read about the news and the Unfortunately, from time to time we wake up one day and realize that we are those other people in the news and that it can happen to us. I think it's that false sense of security that we naturally assume just by the rarity of those actual instances.
Speaker 1: Well another thing too, Karen Start joining us renowned therapist psychologist joining us out of Manhattan. You've seen her on TV, on radio as a trauma expert and consultant. She's at Karenstart dot com. Karen, I think part of it is I don't know how you could live life at all if you are constantly afraid.
Speaker 6: Well, that's with out of doubt, Nancy, because anything could happen to anyone right at any moment. You could cross the streets people always use that example, and get hit by a car. It just doesn't seem like something that could possibly happen to anyone.
Speaker 1: Well I mentioned that Mark Hassey was the first victim. The story goes on. Take a listen.
Speaker 7: Just two months after Assistant District Attorney Mike Costs is gunned down, Kaufman County Criminal District Attorney Mike mcleland and his wife, Cynthia mcleland plan an Easter dinner for friends and family. Dallas Police Officer CJ. Tomlinson is a family friend. His mother is supposed to drop off vegetables for Cynthia mcleland to prepare for dinner. When she doesn't get the mclelland's on the phone, she asked her son, Tomlinson to check on the couple. Tomlinson and his stepfather go to the mcleland home. The front door is open, showcasing's are on the entryway floor. Mike and Cynthia Cleland both have been shot dead. One of the shots was directly into Cynthia mclelland's head. Tomlinson describes the scene as a home invasion style assault.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm trying to make sense of what I'm hearing. Mike and Cynthia McClelland also shot dead, with Cynthia McClelland being shot execution style in the center of the forehead. Again in their own homes. And this is Easter dinner for friends and family. Prime Stories with Nancy Grace back to Hayden Sparks joining us I investigative reporter with the Texan What happened to them?
Speaker 3: The husband and wife were in their home and joining dinner, and they had the piece of their home and faded by this individual and they were barbarically attacked as they enjoyed the privacy of their home.
Speaker 1: Now I understand they're getting ready for an Easter dinner and they've invited friends and family over a police officer. Of course, one of them must be a prosecutor, which.
Speaker 3: One Mike McClellan was a prosecutor with the Cofton County District Attorney's Office.
Speaker 1: So he and Hassei were both prosecutors. Okay, Mike McClellan, Assistant District Attorney and his wife Cynthia are preparing this Easter meal a Dallas County police officer, which explains why their friends with the cop because he's probably been a witness for them a million times. CJ. Thomlinson's a family friend and his mom is supposed to drop off veggies for the Easter dinner, but she can't get them on the phone, so she asked her son, the cop, to check in on them. The cop, Tomlinson, and a stepdad go over to the home when nobody answers and the front door is why open now? Right there? Phil Waters? Phil Water is joining me, former homicide detective for Houston PD, president's CEO of Kindred Spirits Investigations and Security. You can find to make Kindred Spirits Investigations dot com. Feil your former homicide detective. When I see an open door on somebody's home or apartment right now, I'm like, Okay, something's wrong, because that's been true in every case I've seen where the front door is wide open, well exactly.
Speaker 8: On homicide, we'd call that a clue. Right, So, yeah, when you see something that is not in its natural state, which the door being closed, for a police officer approaching a scene like that, certainly the spider sense is going to go off and they're going to enter that property with the expectation if they're going to find something that's going to be out of the norm.
Speaker 1: It also to me that the perp didn't care if people saw the front door open or he and statistically it's always a he left in a hurry, he didn't bother to shut the door behind them. The floor strown with shells. It was described as a home invasion. Front door opened, shellcasing all over the entryway door, which tells me that Purp started shooting the moment he came in to you again. Doctor Michelle Dupree the author of another book, Homicide Investigation Field Guy. She literally wrote the book on homicide investigations. What does this tell you? That one of the shots was directly into the forehead of the prosecutor's wife, Cynthia McClelland, Nancy.
Speaker 4: That's a statement that is execution style, and I'm obviously intentional. So she was a target just like her husband.
Speaker 1: Execution style. When you say execution style, doctor dupre explain that interpret that for everyone.
Speaker 4: Well, basically, you know, there is something a lot of people call the T zone, which is in your forehead if you make it too straight down your forehead into your nose where if a gunshot is in that area, it is most likely to be fatal. And usually there is a couple of shots to the chest and wanted a head in order to make sure that that person is actually dead, and so that would be execution style.
Speaker 1: Joining me right now is a special guest, and I want to start questioning Early Wiley out of Texas as well, with a very narrow line of questioning. Early Wily, thank you for being with us or bank you nancon Early? Did you know these three victims, Mike McClellan, Cynthy McClellan and Mark.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. Kaufman County is a small community, so sure, and particularly ten years ago, everyone knows each other, particularly you work at the courthouse together. You know, from your background experience, you get to know the players. You see him every day and you work with them as a prosecutor. And then at the time I.
Speaker 1: Was a judge, are you still called judge Wiley?
Speaker 9: I am. I think it's, you know, one of those we don't like titles in our country. But I retired from the bench when I became the elected district attorney because Mike wasn't an Ada, he was the elected prosecutor.
Speaker 1: I'm glaud you told me that because that is a very very important distinction, and not an assistant DA, the elected DA. Judge Wiley was a judge, always a judge. The other day. The other night, my daughter, he is so shy, as a football manager at her high school, and they had a banquet. And I went to the banquet, of course, and at a distance I saw someone I thought I recognized him, And after the banquet, I went up to him and it was a judge I had tried many many cases before when I first became a prosecutor, and I naturally referred to him as judge, Yes, ma'am. Another thing that you mentioned is the I guess, for lack of a better word, camaraderie that you form with people in the courthouse, the clerks, the judges, the court reporters, the prosecutors, even the defense attorneys in a weird hybrid way, because you were really in the trenches and you were together in very very difficult combat duty. Every day. Every day there are murderers, rapists, child molesters, drug lords walking by you in the hall, chain together, I hope. Wandering the courthouse, there are everybody's got a gun on them, and you're trying cases that break your heart, investigating them, doing the legal research, making arguments, feeling your stomach clinch when you get a question from the jury. I mean, you go through so much together, it's like really beating the foxhole together. Right.
Speaker 9: I would agree with that. I think your descriptors are so accurate because, like you said, you know, I would always tell my young prosecutors, Hey, when you go in a room, you own it. So you make sure, because we always sit by the jury box, that you make good eye contact with that reporter. She's going to tell you if you're going too fast and the judge doesn't, she's going to tell you how you're doing. She's looking at the jury. But you own that space that you do work with everyone you work with the clerks. First lesson I ever learned when I was a Dallas prosecutor. Don't tick off a clerk.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they'll make your life h E double l If you are rude or arrogant to a clerk, first of all, why would you be. They're working really long, horrible hours at roy and I would say that, believe it or not. My best friends of all these years have been a defense attorney, female defense attorney, and a court reporter that tra We tried cases together for years, and of course my investigator Eizabeth all the time.
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, we couldn't do it with that then, no, no way.
Speaker 1: I mean, the bond do you have with these people, so you know these people might Cynthia McClellan and Mark hasse right.
Speaker 9: Of course we were. We had been entertained at at the McClellan's house because he's elected. I was elected judge at Christmas party. Mark was in my office the night before in chambers because we were working late with our treatment cort and he came by and so we all, of course knew each other. It wasn't as casual because I was a judge. You keep a little bit of difference, but we still knew each other. And if you were there late, you walk each other out, because me and my coordinator that ran the after hours treatment court program were there and he was talking to her and that he walked out, went his way, and I had a closer parking because I was a judge.
Speaker 1: You know, people also don't get it. Your hours are insane. How I'd be at the courthouse on weekends, late, late, late at night, and you sometimes I had it all to myself, but usually there'd be somebody else, an investigator, you know, one of the assistants, wandering around and when you said there's a big difference between an assistant district attorney, which what I was, and the elected district attorney. I don't know if you remember my boss, Lewis Slayton. He was then the longest serving district attorney in the US thirty seven years. He's like a grandfather to me.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 1: And he allowed me to become a trial lawyer, which has always been my life until I had the twins. Guys, you were hearing Judge Early Wiley, who let me just say and I let her explain the whole thing to you, came that close to having a bullet in her forehead too. So we now have three murder victims, all connected to the district Attorney's office, and nobody knows what the hey is going on. But now that you've got two DA's, what cases were they working together? Why those two das? Why not another assistant DA? Well, they got a break. They got a break because of home security surveillance. Take a listen to our reporter Sidney Sumner from Crime Online.
Speaker 2: Then came a break.
Speaker 1: An acquaintance of Eric Williams.
Speaker 2: Said that a few months ago he had been asked to rent a garage in his name. Police find the white sedan in the garage, as well as police uniforms, badges, weapons, and even homie napalm. There were also more than thirty guns, but there was no weapon matching the one that shot the victims. And there was still one question to be answered. If the suspect jumped into the back seat to speed away from the crime scene, who was driving?
Speaker 1: So that bit the white sedan, the jumping into the backseat of a car and speeding away, somebody had to be driving. Man, And then this an acquaintance on Eric Williams said a few months before he had been asked to rent a garage in his name. In that garage, they find a white sedan and now they're onto it. Think Chevy Avalanche in the Rex Huerman case, remember the Long Island serial killer suspect. Chevy Avalanches haven't been made since twenty thirteen. So these women were meeting up with a guy in a Chevy Avalanche. What does he have partly down in front of his house? A Chevy Avalanche. Hello, now you've got a white sedan speeding away from the McClellan's home. And now you find a white sedan in a garage with police uniforms, badges. Where are they getting that police uniforms? And I've got one badge, the badge I was given when I was sworn in an assistant district attorney, police uniforms, badges, weapons, homemade napalm? Phil Waters, Why would anybody have homemade napalm? I haven't heard that since we talked about Vietnam.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly. I can't imagine other than this is a person, you know, the badges and so forth. I'm not that that surprised me. And some of that. I think he had body armor and some other law enforcement related equipment in there. And I don't find that terribly strange.
Speaker 1: Doctor Michelle Dupree, What the hey is napalm? Explain? And a nutshell? I nutshell name.
Speaker 4: Palm is a very powerful explosive. It is used mostly by the military. You can make it at home if you know the recipe, but it is very devastating.
Speaker 1: What does it do to you? If it gets on your body or your eyes, it.
Speaker 4: Actually burns, It burns off the skin, it burns off, it can basically it can basically kill you.
Speaker 1: What I associate with napalm is the napalm girl that horrible and iconic photo of a nine year old girl running away after a napalm bomb struck her village all the way back in gene of nineteen seventy two. Fifty years later, she had her final round of treatment for pain and scars she suffered that day, Phil Waters, I heard you saying something about nay. Palm is known as.
Speaker 8: What jelly gasoline. It's either petrol or diesel, and when the mixture is put and applied, it sticks to the skin and the purpose of it, the jelly part of it is to stick to the skin and it burns all the way to the bone.
Speaker 10: So it's a devastating So who in the hay would have homemade napalm in a storage unit or a rented spot?
Speaker 1: So now we know a name, Eric Williams. Who's that Listen?
Speaker 2: Eric Williams seemed to be the all American boy. He grew up in azl, Texas. He was a boy scout, played in a band, and graduated from Texas Christian University, where he was in the Reserves Officers Training Corps ROTC. He met and married Kim. She was raised in Dallas, did college coursework at the Southern Methodist University and at the University of Texas at Arlington. They were a couple for more than fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Sounds like the all American Golden Boy, but then things went sideways. Listen.
Speaker 11: Eric Williams studied and passed the bar. He works as a lawyer for the Kaufman City Court Department and Justice of the Piece for Kaufman County. That is until he was caught on surveillance cameras stealing three computer monitors with a value around six hundred dollars. His rest takes place in his office as a public servant. He is charged with a felony, handcuffed and marched down in front of his coworkers. Williams claims it's all a misunderstanding. He says he bypasses standard ordering protocol, but says the monitors were for office use, not personal. But police find one of the monitors stashed in his truck.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, I'm not understanding what happened. Judge early whiley joining us out of Texas and author of an incredible book, Target on My Back, A Prosecutor's terrifying Tale of life on a hit list, tell me about these monitors there?
Speaker 9: Okay, there were computer monitors that were stored in an area at the courthouse that the Justice of the Peace worked at. And like the rest of us that work in any company or the government, when you want new equipment, you know, there's a whole process. I just don't go, oh, let me grab some of those and I'll take those home. And I don't do that in the you know, after hours without getting whatever you would call it a requisition order something in writing. I mean, this is government county property and our tax dollars. So the value is more than six hundred. It was over fifteen hundred because it was a third degree felony at the time in Texas ten years ago, and so he took the monitors that not the irony was there had been missing items before, and then then sheriffs set up monitors cameras so that they could see who was taking the items. Unfortunately, I believe they thought it was the cleaning crew that was taken in after hours.
Speaker 4: And what do they.
Speaker 9: Find the it the morning when they right after they had placed the camera, they actually find out that the JP with there's a picture that a lot of people have seen on camera of him, a grainy picture walking around after hours secreting items where he didn't know the new cameras were posted, and so he was caught on videos stealing county equipment after hours. And yet he said, because when you're someone like the murderer, you think you can do no wrong. So if you want computers, you just take them. If you are a JP, you can take what you want, set it up the way you want. And if somebody accuses you of something, don't believe you're lion eyes. That was who he.
Speaker 1: Was, Justice of the piece. And to think this is all about three computer monitors, Well, how do these victims Mark hassee Cynthia McClellan, Mike McClellan fit into Eric Williams swiping monitors? And when she says JP, Justice of the Peace, you think, right, why would he steal computer monitors? But that's not the end of the story. Listen.
Speaker 7: The prosecutor in William's case, Assistant District Attorney Mark Hoss, offers him a deal plead guilty to misdemeanor and abuse of office. Williams would have to resign as Justice of the Peace, but he would be allowed to keep his law license. Williams counters with an offer to make restitution but not admit guilt. The District attorney's office refuses. If Williams is found guilty of a felony, he loses his law license, his job, benefits everything. Eric Williams decides to fight the charges, but before his trial starts, more charges are brought against william for supplies he bought and built to the law library he manages. None of the supplies and equipment he bought were found in the office. The jury deliberates four hours in William's theft trial and delivers a guilty verdict. Instead of being sentenced to jail, Williams is placed on two years probation.
Speaker 1: So that is how the whole thing started. Hayden Sparks. What Hayden Sparks is joining me senior investigative reporter for the Texan. So this all starts over three computer monitors that he swipes, or he's caught swiping. Maybe he swiped other stuff, but he gets prosecuted for stealing them. He even takes it to a jury trial, he's put on probation. Does he lose his position? Hayden Sparks.
Speaker 3: I believe he was suspended and it is astonishing that all of this started with something as trivial as computer.
Speaker 1: Monitors trying to figure out O all this goes down over theft in the courthouse Time Stories with Nancy Grace to judge Early Wiley joining us, author of Target on My Back, A prosecutor's terrifying tale of life on a hit list. So tell me he insisted on taking it to a jury trial? Did he lose his position as just as the peace.
Speaker 9: He did the Texas Judicial Conduct Commission. I believe neck quickly once there was a conviction, because obviously he appealed that conviction, and there's a timeline there that we would have to go back and recall, because shortly after that appeal, I think it's when the murder start. That's not what you specifically ask me. You specifically ask me. Did the commission suspend him? Yes, and they removed him.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's not just over getting the probation. He loses, Karen Starr, you're the shrink. He loses the trappings of being a judge. That's a lot.
Speaker 6: Well, But Nancy, if you are someone who's a psychopath and someone does that to you, something like that happens to you and you lose your identity, you lose everything that all the perks that's gone along with that, you are going to be insanely angry and want revenge. That's the kind of thing that happens to a person who is not normal, who doesn't care about the consequences of his actions.
Speaker 1: Let me ask the judge, judge early whiley, it's not just getting probation. It's not just the cost of the trial.
Speaker 12: It's losing your position, your position as JP as judge, respected of the community, special seats, preferential treatment.
Speaker 1: That's losing your identity for a lot of judges or prosecutors.
Speaker 9: Nancy, you're spot on, and I think the doctor's right. For a person that has the mindset that they can they're ever powerful and whatever they do, they can do whatever they want to do. That's what he thought. For those that worked with Eric, you didn't always see that side of him, because you've got to remember he was part of us. This is from the inside. But there's that other piece, like you said, just computer equipment, no losing his position, and the fact that his colleagues are the ones that said, you know, the communities, it's not going to let an unelected official take this equipment.
Speaker 1: No way, no way, you know how you're up on a pedestal as a judge Trump and when you do something that's the price of being a judge or a prosecutor. People look at you and if you screw up, oh, you become You become the escapegoat, You become the trophy. You will not get away with it once people are onto you because you're held to a higher standard, and you should be. You're a passing judgment. You're judging other people, so you darn well better be above reproach. So how are these people connected? Listen to Nicole partner in our cut six.
Speaker 7: Mark Coss and Mike mcleland acted as prosecutors in Eric Williams case, which put him on police radar. When officers checked his Internet search history, they found that Williams I'd been actively searching for information on Mark Hoss and Mike mcleland. Documents were found on a white Sedan issued in a false name, and the login and password for an account which had been leaving anonymous messages for police about the murders was found, but there was not enough evidence to charge him with the murders.
Speaker 1: Judge Wilie, how did you end up on a hit list?
Speaker 9: Nancy. I had dealt with Eric before he was a Justice of the peace. When he was in private practice as a defense attorney. Eric did counting work doing child protective services attorney at Lytam representing children. Hit all the trappings of this guy. That was great, that did the work for the children. But what we found out later, and I was asked by the administrative judge to check in to an issue, was that there was some overbilling that the auditor when they crossed checked the billing that was being turned in by some attorneys, that it didn't add up. So my work in Dallas as a former prosecutor was to do some CPS work, which is trial protective services work involving children that are abused and neglected. So I was familiar with the time it would take, and so what I did is I took that task on. An administrative judge asked, it's quite simple, Frankly, my coordinator. We pulled random files from several different attorneys, and of course we pulled the docket sheets where the judge said how long the hearings were, what the records were. It was an easy crosscheck. And what we found over and over again was that Eric Williams was stealing money from the county and over billing. So him, along with a few other attorneys I don't know, I thought because I.
Speaker 2: Was a judge.
Speaker 9: I brought them into my office, spoke to them individually and said, this is what we've determined, and I want you to stop. This is counting money. This is your warning. I'm not referring this to the DA's office, but this is something that I can see and I'm not going to have it. I will honestly tell you I never thought any more about that, because that's what you do. And if a judge calls you into their chambers and they set you down, you take it. The other two attorneys were apologetic. They told me it was their mistake, and I said, of course, no problem. I can't wait to continue to work with you. Eric Williams denied that he did it, but okay, that's fine. He left. He came back later told my coordinator, which is like the court secretary, you take me off that whill remember the guy that wants to help kids.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to do the work anymore because you busted him.
Speaker 9: Yes on, my secondary teld me that I go. I guess he never took an economics course call supplying to man, I'll just call attorneys and asked, I.
Speaker 1: Builded this work. Yeah, I mean in every courtroom, the court where you're having plea arrangments, there are a pews full of lawyers who want appointed cases where a person doesn't have a lawyer and the public defender's office is inundated, and you find a list of good lawyers that can take appointed cases for people that don't have lawyers. So yeah, if one falls out, there's one, there's ten in line for that appointed case. But how did you find out you were actually on a hit list for murder?
Speaker 9: I found out because the special prosecutor in the case. Once the case began, our office recused because then I was the elected DA. I was told by him. He came into my office, or Ski, one of the special prosecutors, and said to me to sit down. He wanted to tell me something, and they were preparing the case. By this time, Kim Williams had become a witness for the state and she shared with them that it was Eric's opinion, and she shared that but for me taking that work away from him, he wouldn't have been in the financial problem. But they had been fortunate enough for him to become a JP as a result of that, and for Eric, my calling him out was the beginning of the end of his successful career. Of course, total responsibility shift for his conduct. And then the JP business happened with the computer saft and then that's how this list got created, and there were others.
Speaker 1: What went through your mind when you realize this guy, a judge, a justice of the peace, had you on a hit list for murder.
Speaker 9: And someone I knew, Okay, I thought, my god, you know. And it's different because, as you guys have said, you've had threats, but you've actually seen and know this guy's kill people. By this time, he was in custody, but so many people. When I was appointed to be the elected when Mike was killed the year before I took that job.
Speaker 8: When there we didn't.
Speaker 9: Have a suspect in custody, and so in my mind's eye, I mean, I really knew at that point I could have been killed. My children who were home with me then could have been killed. They're adults now, and so it is chilling. You do things and you don't even think about it. Sometimes because I took the job, I was a judge, I had a different trajectory. I took that job because I was mad, because I grew up in Coffin. I people weren't just going to kill people in Kaufman. I mean, I'm not going to sit by and let that happen. So I just thought, Wow.
Speaker 1: You know another thing, Judge that gives me real insight to this judge Eric Williams mind is that once he's finally convicted on these murders, he's filed so many appeals. One claimed his quote brain was broken and that he needed an MRI that he didn't get for his first trial. But now that was denied by Judge Mike Snipes. Now take a list an hour cut eleven. His latest attempt at a new trial. I hope you're sitting down listen.
Speaker 11: In his latest attempt to get a new death penalty trial, attorneys for Eric Williams claim they didn't have enough time to prepare for the trial that led to his conviction. The Daily Morning News reports that Williams attorneys claim in a one hundred and sixty nine page filing that there was so much evidence that they didn't have enough time to review and prepare for trial. The attorneys also claimed that Williams was tried before a bias judge and that having his trial in Rockwell County rather than Kaufman County had no effect on providing him with a fair trial.
Speaker 1: You know what, when I hear I didn't have enough time to prepare for trial, I say something along the lines of you started. You should have started preparing for trial when you pull that trigger.
Speaker 9: I like that line.
Speaker 1: Like that, Yeah, feel free to use it. The moment you pull that trigger, you should have started preparing for your trial and your a death penalty sentence. Somehow he managed to rope his wife into it. In case you're wondering who the getaway driver was. If you have information on a judge turned killer, Eric Williams and his wife, Kim Williams, dial nine seven to two nine three two three zero nine four. Do I think his case is going to get reverse? No? Do I think he's going to get the death penalty?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do, But stranger things have happened. And if you have information, we need your help because when this comes to a new trial, if it ever does, we want to be locked and loaded. We wait as just as sun foughts. Good by, send