Speaker 1: Hey, it's Stephanie back with another bonus episode. Before we get to episode ten, I want to explain a bit about Laura and her mom's interaction with the Scottsdale Police in November and December of twenty twenty three. The police were dispatched to Laura's house for a welfare check on her at least four separate times. Two of them were recorded on officer body cams and have been made public. Today, we're going to play you those recordings. You'll get to hear from Laura's mom, Jan Black, and from Laura herself. They tell the police their side of the story. We lightly edited them to cut out dead air or repeated information, but we've left these mostly intact so you can hear the whole interaction. We're starting with the welfare check on December twelfth, twenty twenty three. Laura's mom, Jan is the one who answers the door, and just a heads up, you'll hear the officer's phone buzzing from time to time.
Speaker 2: M mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Is Laura there? Yeah? Is this is somebody called in a welfare chuck about her?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, it's a friend from New York.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you know who that might be.
Speaker 6: No, what I do know is that she is the target of an online harassment campaign that has been going on for months.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that they wanted to do.
Speaker 6: It was started by a disgirdled ex boyfriend of hers, and he started posting all of this crazy stuff about her on Reddit, stuff that is.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. And so he has encouraged people to do.
Speaker 6: To call in the Scotstale Police Department and do and ask for a welfare chock.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is like the third one in a week, okay.
Speaker 6: And I had contacted the I mean she called in and talked to Discutsdale Police Department as well and said, you know, we don't want your resources. This is this is ridiculous. It's a prank, okay thing, But I'm happy to go get her. She was she was taking a nap. She this has been devastating, beyond belief.
Speaker 4: Is she asleep now.
Speaker 3: She's she's taken a nap, but I can wake her up.
Speaker 5: I don't think that would be necessary.
Speaker 3: Okay, well so I don't.
Speaker 7: For some reason, it wasn't in our notes for your address. I'm going to put comments in there that says this is an ongoing prank, right, they still may send We have to understand because if we don't, if it's not us on or it's not the same dispatchers, they still might just send on it. But I would work on trying to contact Reddit and let them know.
Speaker 6: She has contacted them. They will not take it now, they will not take it down and disco he's created different fake accounts.
Speaker 3: He I mean, it's he's going to great legs. Have you looked into an injunction.
Speaker 6: Against harass she has against him? She's this is part of his part of his things. She's had this against him for two years.
Speaker 4: And ex boyfriend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's an old ex boyfriend and she had the injunction against harassment against him.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's really.
Speaker 6: Another friend of ours who is an FBI profiler had looked at you know what this guy is all about, and she said, he's the kind of a person who is not going to stop unless he thinks he's got a win.
Speaker 3: And he had he had said to her, he texted.
Speaker 6: Her, I will destroy your life. I will destroy your reputation. And that was two years ago, and he's just he's just continued this.
Speaker 4: Is he local here?
Speaker 3: Or yeah, he's local. What's his name, he's local. His name is.
Speaker 6: Frank the last week, do you but he could have called from a fake number, or like I say, he's tried to start stuff online.
Speaker 3: She had she contacted the Scout Sale Police Department with a lot of.
Speaker 6: Instances of these and they sent it to the prosecutor's office, and the prosecutor's office said that they didn't think they could get a conviction, or that they said there was a lot of stuff, but they didn't know that they if they would be able to get a conviction on it. So I think that one of his motives is to try to make it so that when her order against him comes up for renewal next year, that he can say, well, look, you know she's you know, she's crazy. You know, look at all this stuff that he's posted online about her, and you know, well.
Speaker 7: And then especially for her document it, get copies of it so then she can go right back to the judge and be like, right, let's go on.
Speaker 6: Right, And he's contacted a podcaster who has also been doing just relentless posts about her and.
Speaker 3: Might know, well what happened, what prompted a.
Speaker 6: Lot of this stuff is my daughter became pregnant by the guy who was the bachelor last year, and she became pregnant by him in May, and then he was acting like, oh, you're not really pregnant, or if you are pregnant, it's not mine, and and and then other.
Speaker 3: Times he was saying to us like, oh, but he.
Speaker 6: Wanted to be involved in the pregnancy and all this kind of stuff. So anyhow, when this ex boyfriend found out about her pregnancy with this guy, then it send him like into kind of an overdrive thing, and then he reached out to him. And it's like my daughter finally did a big post on Medium the other day explaining, you know, just the toll that all of this has has taken on her and how it's just.
Speaker 3: It's just it's crazy.
Speaker 6: On the link, I think there's probably somebody our neighbor, maybe sits dogs. So I think that this is like pick up Okay, I know, I know, I'm always kind of like that too.
Speaker 7: Get one. I also try to get online. You can contact Google at different places and have her information remove from online like house phone, number of things like that.
Speaker 3: Work on doing that too.
Speaker 7: Try to get as much information as you can offline.
Speaker 3: I know it's hard. We we have to do it, and that's exactly how they tell us to do it.
Speaker 7: And there's ways to like whitepages dot com and you can go on there's a link it says remove my information and you can go on that. Have her start doing all that information too, and then I get that they'll come into the house.
Speaker 3: But see what you can do to block that information, right right right? Well, I just feel I feel really awful.
Speaker 6: For you guys, because you know this is this is it's a waste of it's a waste of resources, and it's obviously you know ranks.
Speaker 3: Do you know what phone number had contacted? It's a four and five area code. It's out of New York. Four and five is is San Francisco. You're from San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Our number the four while four day.
Speaker 5: The person that called us gave us that phone number.
Speaker 4: Contactor said that whoever called doesn't have it's.
Speaker 3: Getting old information online.
Speaker 8: Okay, do you have do you because I just like to give me it's not can I'll walk out and the rabbit, Oh that would be great.
Speaker 5: Do you notice spelled?
Speaker 4: Greg's last name?
Speaker 9: Is it g I L L E. S.
Speaker 3: S p i E.
Speaker 4: Has he been harassing her by stopping by the house at all or anything like that.
Speaker 3: He has gone into her email.
Speaker 6: He they they dated very briefly, and she became pregnant by him, Okay.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 6: He was very shall we say violent in his effort to get her to have an abortion, so she filed an abortion coercion case against him, which really ticked him off. She didn't ask for any money for her She asked for a charitable donation for abortion coersion.
Speaker 3: Did you get it? Yeah, it's for DOES And I'm going to actually give them a call to follow up with them.
Speaker 4: Okay, what is what does Greg drive? Do you know?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't she didn't.
Speaker 6: He's made I mean absolutely, he's made crazy things. He's posted online stuff saying that that he went to high school.
Speaker 3: With her, which he never did.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's posted on these fake accounts saying that he knew her in high school and that that she was pregnant by a developmental, developmentally disabled kid, the father of somebody else, the principal, the school principle. I mean, things that are so unbelievably outrageous. I mean, it's just like it's to really, I think, try to discredit her again so that when her order against him comes up, then it'll look like, oh wow, you.
Speaker 3: Look at the stuff online.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: You know, so there is a current order of protection against him. Yes, yes, there is.
Speaker 4: Still yeah County okay.
Speaker 3: And I mean and the guy is the guy is unhinged. I mean, I had no I had no clue when you know, I had said.
Speaker 6: To her when she wanted to file this abortion corrosion case in the first place, they said, you know what, just let sleeping dogs lie, just be done with him and everything like that. She was like, no, I feel really strongly about about what he did and the way he did it to me, and uh so, you know, she went ahead with it, and as I say, it just started this.
Speaker 3: Torrent of of yeah, you know, really really bad stuff.
Speaker 6: But anyway, I I I appreciated it, and no problem.
Speaker 3: Look and definitely look into trying to get any.
Speaker 8: Information you can removed online. They had your name too, they did. What did they have as Elizabeth? Okay, that's my that's my given name. Jam is my nickname James Robert.
Speaker 3: When I took a picture of.
Speaker 6: It, Okay, I had your husband's name, Ki okay, wrong, okay, so.
Speaker 7: No address, so I would I would definitely try to see whatever you.
Speaker 3: Can move from online.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well they've they've been trying to post on our social media stuff.
Speaker 3: They've posted on her social media stuff.
Speaker 6: They've h and and this guy, as I say, when she was going out with him, he said like, you know, well, I'm really suspicious of people, So you know, would you give me your passwords because I wouldn't want to think, you know, I want everything to.
Speaker 3: Be prought, you know, to I wanted to trust each other. So she gave it. She was like, oh, okay, sure, no problem.
Speaker 6: So he's gone in to her emails from years and years ago and doctored emails and sent them as though they were from her.
Speaker 3: He's doctored let her head.
Speaker 6: He did come here one time when she was dating him, and the first thing he said is he said, hey, I nat your parents WiFi information. He was out here, I need their WiFi, what's their password and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So he's he's been doing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if later, when you speak to Laura, like I said, I don't necessarily want to wake her up. If she wants to speak with someone from the police department about everything that's been going on lately, because you said it's been the like the third time and about the last week.
Speaker 6: Or so, right, And she had talked with Detective Ready, I think had had he had come up with he had sent the stuff and forwarded it to the prosecut us. But the prosecutors just said that they're you know, they'd have to be assured of getting out to have a.
Speaker 7: Reach out to Detective Reading again and let him know what's going on with this now that may be able to kind of help maybe refile.
Speaker 6: I think what his thing was that it would be difficult for him to be able to prove.
Speaker 3: You know, she was suspicious of all this stuff. But I mean we pretty you know, there's nobody else who would have the motive to.
Speaker 6: Do it's approven because he goes under names. He like I say, he obviously you know doctor that did they say what their concern was when they called suicidal comments? Okay, Well, because she had when she posted this thing on medium, she she had written in there that that this unrelenting, this has gone on for months, that this had made her feel borderline suicide. Okay, so you know, but she she she said the borderline suicideal think.
Speaker 3: But that's not, you know, not the case right right.
Speaker 6: It's like she she had said to me, like, oh my god, how much more of this can I take?
Speaker 3: Does she have any friends in New York?
Speaker 6: My daughter lives in New York, My other daughter lives in New York, but she's she's well aware of.
Speaker 3: What's going on. She would and she would contact you, oh of course, of course.
Speaker 6: And Laura talks to her like twenty like two hours a day that they're on the phone. So, and I was just with my daughter in there like five minutes before you guys rang. And the reason I she lives in the casita, and the reason I left was because she said, Hey, I'm just I'm spent from all this. I just want to close my eyes for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why did she pose that? When did she posts the medium thing.
Speaker 4: Yesterday?
Speaker 3: No, it was before you.
Speaker 6: I mean it was was on there yesterday, but I want to say it was maybe, uh, today's Tuesday, maybe Friday night or Saturdaykay, that.
Speaker 3: Kind of goes with the timeline.
Speaker 10: I'm going to give this to you, not that you guys are in crisis, but they might be able to kind of help just give her someone else to talk to, or they have resources that we don't even know exists.
Speaker 3: Oh, really, reach out. They might be able to help you guys in a good direction.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, And also reach out to the detective again and yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let him know what's been happening, and yeah, that way, he's kind of apprized of it Tuesday, It might it might be able to help kind of open a different.
Speaker 3: Door, a different direction. But reach out to him again.
Speaker 10: But these guys have a lot of a lot of resources that we don't even know exists.
Speaker 3: Okay, so give them a call.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, Yeah, I can't hurt no, I mean because, like she had said, she had tried to be anonymous with this whole thing, initially with the pregnancy with the bachelor guy, and then and then people were saying, well, wait, you can. This guy was starting the conversation that wait, you can google the case and then her name comes up and it's Laura Owens and she's a podcaster.
Speaker 3: She and I do a podcast and we've done it for.
Speaker 6: I guess since twenty seventeen and iTunes named as one of the top twenty five most downloaded new podcasts in twenty eighteen. So we've had we've had success with it, but I mean, this is just, you know, she really had wanted to stay under the radar on this, and then she finally decided like, hey, you.
Speaker 3: Know, this guy is controlling the narrative and I have to speak out. I have to.
Speaker 6: Explain what's been going on, because otherwise she was feeling like she was getting no support from anybody because she didn't really want to go tell her friends and everything like that that this was all going on. So it's just it's a nightmare, a nightmare, but I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: We'll put comments in there so they know.
Speaker 6: Officer Rannick was the guy who who contacted her the other night, Like okay, yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 7: He comments in there with the address and then it'll come up in the history. We'll go back and read through the comments. So we'll try to do that to help you guys out a little.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, no, I really appreciate anything. Hey, way, I've got something for you guys. Hang on side.
Speaker 1: At the end of the video, Jan hands a candy bar to one of the officers. He takes it and thanks Jan.
Speaker 3: Thank you chocolate. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Another welfare check happened a week earlier, on December fourth, twenty twenty three, and this time Laura joins the conversation.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, are you looking for Laura?
Speaker 3: Laura's my daughter?
Speaker 11: Okay here, yeah, uh she called the FBI, and the FBI called us to come check her, make sure she's okay.
Speaker 4: Oh, she was reporting something to him, but she was upset and sounded like she made some statements. They just wanted to make sure she's okay. This a long time, No, this was supposedly this morning.
Speaker 3: Can I just make sure see your car?
Speaker 4: They said, she's back here, but she was gonna come on.
Speaker 3: Where is your police car? The police car? I just we've had some really strange things. Where's your police car?
Speaker 4: There's two of them sitting right here.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, okay, all right, we'll come on.
Speaker 4: But she lives in the back in the little.
Speaker 3: Why don't you come on in?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 12: Yeah, she's had some real issues with an ex boyfriend who It is the most complicated bizarre story ever.
Speaker 4: But well, our mab our Main. The only reason we're here is she evidently gave the FBI talked to them. They just wanted us to swing by to make sure she's okay. Okay, that's all we need.
Speaker 3: One second, let me just go gather.
Speaker 4: Hang on, why did.
Speaker 3: You contact the FBI this morning, cyber Crimes Unit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you talk to somebody or.
Speaker 3: Nobody contacted me?
Speaker 5: I like just submitted it like an hour ago. If it's the same thing she helped me with, did the report.
Speaker 13: So the information we got was that you submitted something to the FBI. It didn't say whether you talked to somebody on the phone or electronically, like made a nonline complaint. Yeah, is that some something you said was borderline suicidal?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: That was from the guy that that was also from.
Speaker 14: So I called us to come check on you to make sure you're okay. Yeah, yeah, No, that was like you were were you talking about whatever you said where you talked about yourself or someone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was like from a couple of months ago.
Speaker 5: She was saying she's been targeted, like she's had a horrible situation with cyber from an ex boyfriend, from another guy that was obsessed with her.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I had fifty videos of me on YouTube, so and yeah she has she has simply asked him to stop. She's filed to cease and desist asking him to stop, and they're not. They haven't stopped, and so she she thought that that, you know, it needs to go to some kind of cyber crimes unit.
Speaker 5: She had said in there that the harassment I.
Speaker 3: Had, well, I can say it.
Speaker 8: I had told the guy specifically that like, creating these daily videos about me had made me Phil.
Speaker 5: Porter's really suicidal.
Speaker 12: I was like last month, I messaged him and he continued to make videos about me.
Speaker 5: But I'm fine. He's like this guy has made.
Speaker 12: Like forty fifty fifty Yeah, I mean it's just insane.
Speaker 13: Somebody at the actually saw your yeah right and saw that where it's like these videos thinking and they're like.
Speaker 5: Right, We're like, oh, we better call make sure you're.
Speaker 13: Not actually gonna hurt yourself right now.
Speaker 4: And you're not. You don't need any assistance or okay.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 12: No, yeah, unless you can get the guy to to stop.
Speaker 5: But I mean it's been it's been horrific. Absolutely sounds like.
Speaker 13: Somebody at the FP I got your plans hopefully hopefully.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I'm the mom.
Speaker 4: You're aware of everything going on, right, so you're here, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything that's going on.
Speaker 5: No, it's been it's been well.
Speaker 4: And if you do start feeling like, yeah, you can always call us because we can get you help too.
Speaker 5: All right, appreciate that. I mean, what would be great is just for the guys to stop.
Speaker 3: It's just very scary.
Speaker 12: But it's just that he's he's just really tried to incite online online hatred of her, and he he was She has protective orders against two prior boyfriends and one of them is a real is a real stalker, kind of a nut and has done every He swore that he was going to ruin her life and he was able to happen it too her computer, he had her passwords, he had all this kind of stuff, and uh, it's just he did contact with this YouTube guy, and he's just tried to do, you know, just to ruin her, to come up with all these fake stories, this craziness and and posted online about her. And so so you know, she was finally thinking like if a seasoned assist didn't work, and she's tried to get a temporary restraining order against this guy.
Speaker 5: First Amendment, right, right.
Speaker 2: And I figured I had to contact and he's claiming he's got a right to postuff, but he doesn't have a right to post lies. But anyway, but but so Laura was saying, well, maybe you know, he has violated these cyber stalking and cyber crime stuff.
Speaker 5: This guy posted a map of my house.
Speaker 3: I have another house, so he posted we have a layer B a B.
Speaker 12: He posted a thing was showing how to get to our house with pictures of the house. I mean, he had that on his computer up in the background when he was posting one of these the other the other day. So, so Laura was thinking, you know, maybe if we contacted a cyber crimes cyber stalking unit, that maybe that Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: People have said like they helpe I'm an organ donor because that's thank good would come from my pathetic existence, and like I'm a waste of skin like they've been.
Speaker 3: They're very mean.
Speaker 5: So I'm hoping to.
Speaker 12: And yeah, yeah, we we just you know, because it's like where do we where do we even turn if if they won't respect the court system, and and you know, they've they've just tried to do everything to hurt us, to hurt you know, the family, to I.
Speaker 5: Mean, they've it's just it's just been an absolute night.
Speaker 4: As long as you're okay. That's why we're here to make sure.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate you look at everything.
Speaker 4: I really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for listening. Stay tuned for new episodes and bonus content on the Love Trapped Feed