Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to the Sunday edition of Morning Run.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robot and I'm TJ. Holmes. We tried it a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: You all seem to like us, who We're going to keep doing it. We collect our quotes of the day if anybody listen to Morning Run. Of course robes. We love putting them at the end. It's one of our favorite parts of Morning Run. But here's where we kind of collect them and go through and tell more of a deeper story of what's behind them.
Speaker 1: That's right. We thought it would be fun to reflect on all of the inspiration from the week before in the past, so that in the week ahead we can actually take that new perspective with us. So let's start with Monday, and our quote of the day was love the life you live, Live the life you love, and it was attributed to Bob Marley, which we were a little like, huh, I did not know that a lyric and his songs. So I actually tried to do a little bit of a deep dive on this, and some people say, hey, he wasn't the originator, but I haven't. I wasn't able to find out who actually came up with the phrase, but he certainly said it.
Speaker 3: Well, did you tell is it? It is a song lyric or? He this is a quote from an interview.
Speaker 1: I believe it's it's it's in one of his songs. But then they say it was kind of a mash from another thing he said, So it was a little there was a it was a gray area, but largely if you if you go and google this, love the life you live, live the life you love, Bob Marley's name will come up. I just wanted to make it clear that I can one hundred percent guarantee that he said it.
Speaker 3: But I love from days I know.
Speaker 1: I just put this is transparency. So I just want to say I can't confirm this information about to give you, but the quote is still an amazing quote. So it obviously is about making sure you remember to love the life you live, to be grateful for it, and to be excited about it because this is an amazing thing we get to do, and then to live the life you love. So you choose how you live by making sure that you are doing the things you love.
Speaker 3: What is this you have in here in the note? I'm sorry, yeah you all, I'm reading Robot the note live here essentially because I'm saying it for the first time, you have this second thing in here. Why there's another quote that kind of is in line or it's been sourced from.
Speaker 1: Well, So when I started looking at Bob Marley quotes because I was trying to figure out if he in fact said this, and I found another quote that he absolutely said okay, and I loved it. The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for.
Speaker 2: Wait, why did you include those? One used that as you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's a bonus. It's a quote bonus, and it was basically just another Bob Marley quote. He actually if you look to his lyrics, they're very simple, but so inspirational and fun a lot of times as well. I love the music. Anyway, I just thought there was a little bonus quote.
Speaker 2: We'll start doing that.
Speaker 3: Then on Sundays, we'll give you all the quotes of the day from the previous week and then a bonus quote that's okay, fun. You just started a new thing here. So that was on Monday. On Tuesday, you dug this one up as well. Tuesday's quote was life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them. That only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality, Let things flow naturally forward and whatever way they like. End quote This was This.
Speaker 1: Is from Laosu, a Chinese philosopher from five hundred and seventy one b c.
Speaker 2: It still all works today. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: It blew my mind because you and I have really leaned in on some of the quotes we know from Michael Singer, from Eckhart Toole. But this is exactly what they preach. And to think that a Chinese philosopher five hundred plus years before Christ was born said the exact same thing, right.
Speaker 2: Maybe they stole it from him?
Speaker 1: Well, they probably that was a foundation for this way of thinking. And the cool thing is, I'm imagining, no matter what changes we've had in this world and all the developments and all the things we've learned and all the things we can do, this still is appropriate and important. And they knew it all the way back then. There were different problems and different issues, and yet this remains the same.
Speaker 3: Should we have figured it out by now? Shouldn't we all be living this way? They've been preaching this since before Christ was born. It feels like we should have adapted right now.
Speaker 1: So somehow we all want to control things. We all want to change things. We want things to be the way we want them, and that is what causes suffering. You have surrender on your arm, tattooed on your arm. I was thinking about getting a tattoo about this. I haven't done it yet, but that phrase come what may it's all in the same line of thinking that you just when you resist what is, when you resist reality, you will suffer it or be.
Speaker 2: Sorrow what what? Broadway shows that aio?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's yes, that's from Moula Rouge and it's one of my favorite songs, What May come what?
Speaker 2: They change the music in that, but that one stays that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, they changed, they changed it up to make it more popularized. They have a bunch of current music that they put and weave through the storyline. I have to take you say, yes, okay, it's always It was in the movie Mula Rouge. It's in the Broadway play now and my goodness, no one sings it quite like eron debate. I want to see it. We have to. We have to make that a date night.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was Tuesday's quote. Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them. That only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever.
Speaker 2: Way they like.
Speaker 3: And that takes us now to our quote that we had on Wednesday, which is another simple one. It's a doozy but soon as you hear it, it sounds so simple, but it makes you stop and think quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is from the files of TJ. Holmes. It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.
Speaker 3: I mean, what are the ways? I guess the most popular way is you don't know what you don't know.
Speaker 1: People like to say that, but I say that to my daughters all the time.
Speaker 3: Nobody likes to embrace that. The idea you don't know what you don't know. That's a very powerful thing. It makes you curious, it makes you more interested, it makes you more engaged, and it makes you more capable of actually learning something. You might be the smartest person in the room because you were the one who was willing to admit you didn't know everything, so you absorbed from everybody else.
Speaker 2: I just this is one. What's the way you put it?
Speaker 1: Oftentimes the wisest man in the world is the man who knows he knows nothing. That's often attributed to Socrates, so again, an ancient philosopher, someone and something he said that we still need to think about and put into practice in our own lives all these years later. I think it's remarkable. I will also say this, when you acknowledge that you don't know what you don't know, that there's still so much to learn, it's actually freeing. It's I might it might seem powerful and important to be a know it all, and you might get a little bit of an ego boost if you're that person. But my god, it's a lot of work and people don't like it. I used to always say this to my kids as well. Nobody loves and know it all, or nobody likes to know it all, and so it's actually very freeing. It's very freeing to say, huh, who knew? Or I don't know, and even if you think they're wrong, let them say it and just listen. Have the perspective. I love it. It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. Awesome.
Speaker 3: That takes us up to Thursday. Thursday again was in the files.
Speaker 2: That I have.
Speaker 3: How many would you say I had stacked up? Again, folks that don't know I, every single week at good morning, I put up a new quote on Monday on my door every single week, and we had folks come by and they were inspired. They stopped this spark conversations. People would take pictures of them and post them. It was a fun thing that I got to do. But when we left, I make sure I took all of those with me. So we have a stack of Manila folder full of quotes.
Speaker 1: It's awesome that you did that. And so I would say how long had you been doing it? For almost two years? Because I would say there's okay, So I would say there's a little There's probably over one hundred of these quotes, so that would make sense every week for about two years class, that's about how many we have.
Speaker 3: I loved it was a big part of my responsibility and John took it very seriously and that took time every morning to print those out.
Speaker 2: It had different fonts and color.
Speaker 1: You remember look forward to it.
Speaker 2: But this was one of them.
Speaker 3: It was classy is when you have a lot to say, but you choose to stay silent in front of fools. Now, I wasn't sure where I got that. I think during the week I said, why do I think it was a George Clooney croke cluote?
Speaker 1: You did say that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was simply that quote was put up, his picture was attached to it or something, and that's burned in my mind.
Speaker 1: But that's funny.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure where it came from, but it's difficult to do. I told my daughter this recently. I think I told you this recently when you were having an argument with somebody, like you can't argue with the food because from a distance, nobody knows who's who. That's something your mama taught you. But it takes discipline to shut up when you listen into somebody that you know is wrong.
Speaker 1: It's I find it, and you know, it's very hard for me to do that, and I have tried to put that into practice because I have watched you do this. You are very good at this. When someone is you what you always say something that you're like the foundation of what you're saying is not correct. So it's like if someone starts from a place of untruth or falsity.
Speaker 3: Everything else is out the window, so theres no reason to listen past that.
Speaker 1: And you've said that, you're like, I can shut this down now, and I'm not even gonna respond because it's not worth it because that is not based in truth. Yep. And so if someone is saying something that's patently false or it's pointless to argue with them, and it's hard because it's also very.
Speaker 2: I get ego is.
Speaker 1: About to come into Yeah, exactly, that's what it is. Tempting, that's the word I was looking for. Tempting. It is tempting to try and say, uh ah, it's this way, but that never goes anywhere. You're never going to convince anybody. And I think trying to convince somebody they're wrong, or trying to show them that they're wrong, it usually ends up blowing up in your face. So I do love this. Classy is when you have a lot to say, but you choose to remain silent in front of fools. We don't know if George Clooney said that. We think he didn't. You know what, I feel like you could have even said this, like if you told me you came up with this quote.
Speaker 2: I would believe that, and let's go with that. This is attribute it to TJ. Holmes.
Speaker 1: All right, that's what we'll go.
Speaker 3: All right, Oh Friday, we had this when Robes pulled out a quote from an athlete, from a baseball player. Of all sports that you watch, the one I would say you were leased into.
Speaker 2: Would be baseball.
Speaker 1: Yes. I find baseball to be kind of boring. You know, it's just it drags on. I mean, the fact that you even have to have a seventh inning stretch tells you all you need to know about the pace of the game. That's all.
Speaker 2: Okay, So with.
Speaker 3: That as the backdrop, I was very surprised when she plucked out from Earl Wilson.
Speaker 2: I don't know if everybody would know that name. I don't know his backstory, but a baseball player you came up with us.
Speaker 1: Yes, he said this during a commencement speech. Because you were even questioning whether or not he was the original author of this, But he did say this in a commencement speech. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments a humor filled way to let you know that there's always someone who wants to know where you are and what you're doing and whether or not you're going to pay them back.
Speaker 2: Somebody always cares.
Speaker 3: You can take it as that, Yes, we're just talking about maybe a tax collector or a bill collector, but there's somebody somewhere. We have moments or we think nobody cares, we think we're alone.
Speaker 2: And you just want to know. We've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: I've had had this conversation last week with someone who said, Yeah, when I was going through hell, I didn't know to reach out to you, TJ. I didn't know what to say. I want to kind of leave you alone, give you some space. But I told her, I said, I got messages from people that I never responded to. But I'm telling you now how much it meant to know that person was thinking about me and cared. It's still mattered. So I would encourage anybody always to let somebody know when they're on your mind, because people can use it.
Speaker 1: It's a good practice to put into your habits, and it can become a habit. Because I have tried to start doing that. I'll think, Oh, I wonder how so and so is doing or I didn't check on this person. And instead of saying I'll do it when I get home, or i'll do it later tonight, you're not going to you were going to forget. Life gets busy, and so it really is a practice to say, the moment that comes into my head, I'm going to take thirty seconds, I'm gonna take a minute, and I'm just gonna say hey. And this is one of my favorite things to do, especially if someone's going through hell. And we all have had our moments when someone says do not respond or you do not need to respond, but I just want to let you know I'm thinking of you and someone sending a hug your way, and yes, of course you can respond, but that's actually awesome because when people are trying to say something to you to get something back, sometimes that can actually be heavier. So I always appreciate that. Also, one of my favorite things to do is when you give someone a gift, you say and you are not allowed to write me a thank you note because it's just one of those things where I have said that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I appreciate that thank you.
Speaker 1: See it's overwhelming, you know. Sometimes the people are sending a bunch of stuff, so I just I think that's one of those ways to love people and to show people you care about them. And it's not transactional, it doesn't have to be reciprocal. It's just you reaching out and sharing love with someone. So I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: There's a collection of people in this country who have gotten that message from me over the past couple of years. Didn't want anything, you just cross my mind. So I thought i'd say, hello, hope that exact thing and that line I include. I said, I've learned anything over the past couple of years is when somebody is on my mind, don't hesitate to reach out.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have gotten that exactly.
Speaker 1: Ess for me because it's crazy. But when you're going through it and you just get that one line, your heart warms, your heart opens up, and it changes your day. So I think that's pretty cool. And yeah, someone always cares, even.
Speaker 3: If they are trying to get your money. So folks, if you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments. Again contributed or attributed to Earl Wilson, a baseball player. So, like we say on Sundays, people always looking for a reset, an inspiration of some kind. You've gotten your rest in I guess maybe a little bit on Saturday, maybe party a little bit, but you get around to Sunday, it's time to start thinking about the week and to be recharged and re energize. Even if it's not religious, everybody's looking for a little something on Sunday to reset. So we hope these.
Speaker 2: Work for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe you'll even go on a Sunday morning run. I know we're running this morning as well. We're actually prepping for a ten k. We have never run a ten k together, and so we're doing that next weekend. So this is also fun to listen to while you're going on maybe your morning run as you're getting ready for the work week. But thank you for spending your Sunday with us. We appreciate it. I'm Amy Roboch and I'm TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes. Have a good Sunday, folks. We'll see you for the morning run on Monday as well.