Speaker 1: So I'm gonna take a page out of the book of one mister writers drawn, which means it is a page having, of course, to do with words.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 4: Oh he's so excited. I've never I can feel writer's energy through this. Look he's he's looks forward, he's restructuring himself in his seat. He looks like he looks like when I look like when I'm about ready to eat a donut.
Speaker 1: You do a little donut little donut shake, like you're coming down off of meth. Okay, so we all know antonyms, and we know synonyms, but you know contray Oh no, okay. So a contronym are words that have opposite or nearly opposite meanings depending on context.
Speaker 4: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: So, for instance, here's a list of some of them. Like cleave can mean split apart or cling together tightly.
Speaker 5: Right, you cleave to something or you cleave something. Oh yeah, that's so.
Speaker 1: These are contronyms, which is, the word itself can literally mean the opposite of itself.
Speaker 3: Depending on how it's used.
Speaker 5: And this is some of these also arrive over time. Arise over time because like nonplus now means the opposite of what it was originally intended to mean right and like yeah because of the misusage, so people just say, yeah, give me some more.
Speaker 3: So here's something.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 6: Sanction can mean to allow or to penalize, Yeah, right right yeah.
Speaker 1: Dust to add particles or to take it or to remove, the weather can wear away or endure. Yeah, resign, to quit, or to commit to.
Speaker 4: Wow, I've resigned. I'sgsigned to.
Speaker 5: This is my life. Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 1: My fast can be moving quickly or firmly secured right right fast. Oversight is a careless error or supervision.
Speaker 5: Yes, these are so fun.
Speaker 6: Screen this is the last one I have.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, screen is to show like a film or too obscure.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's so cool.
Speaker 6: Antonym synonym, contronyms.
Speaker 5: And he asked me the other day, He's like, what's I thought? He asked me what's a synonym for cemon cinnamon? And I was like, spice.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I was trying to think, you like, not synamon synonym. So he was saying, what's the and I was like, Jesus, now my brain just melts it, dude, I don't know. Like I said, alternate, you know, I was trying to come up with synonyms for synonym. But then I was like, I thought he was just being clever about the.
Speaker 2: Simon what it would be a synonym for synonym. I couldn't imagine that. That is so funny, Tim. I saw that and I was like, oh, writer, we have to have a I was going to love this. What a word that literally means?
Speaker 1: I mean, the idea of the English language that flammable and inflammable mean the same thing.
Speaker 6: Is insane to me. How does anyone learn our language? I know, absurd when you.
Speaker 1: Think of English, it's absurd to think of one little thing and it actually means you're gonna die.
Speaker 4: Wait what Adler just recently was like reading something and he goes, hey, why is too spelled wrong? And I said what do you mean? And he said it says t oo And I was like, oh, that is two as in also and he goes, oh, so that other two is just t o And I was like, well, unless you're talking about the.
Speaker 6: Number two, Like.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I'm like, I'm sorry, you're really learning to read and we're picking some of the hardest ones.
Speaker 5: Sorry, that's just crazy.
Speaker 6: It is, it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, all these little changes can it's yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 4: We Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fischel, I'm Righter.
Speaker 3: Strong, and I'm Will Fordell.
Speaker 1: What a lot of.
Speaker 4: People don't know about the podcast is that very early in the process we made a pact with each other that while recording, we would never censor ourselves in the moment, knowing that we would deal with whatever we wanted to cut in the edit. That way, we wouldn't find ourselves holding back or fearful of where a comment could take us. We would just let the process guide each episode, and hilariously, in the end, minus some totally insane tangents, we mostly find ourselves keeping everything in. And that's because since day one we've tried our hardest to let honesty lead the way we'd lean into the good and the bad that came with what is hands down the strangest job a kid could have, and that's why we appreciate this week's guest and his recent journey to inform and destigmatize the real journey of an actor. At just seven years old, he made his Hollywood debut as an original Paul Ryan on the legendary soap opera As the World Turns, a role played by a total of nine actors over thirty years, but his first big break was in the nineteen eighty three Stephen King horror movie Kujoe, when he played Tad, the young son who convinces his family to adopt the once friendly and easygoing Saint Bernard, who becomes rabid when bit by a cave bat. But we all know him best as Jonathan Bauer on the Emmy and Golden Globe winning sitcom Who's the Boss, alongside Tony Danza, Alissa Milano, and Judith Light who played his mother for eight seasons, one hundred and ninety six episodes, and endless years of syndication. Yet no matter how iconic a show is or how recognizable a cast becomes, once the spotlight dims, not everything is promised to fall into place. The calls slowed down, and he'd try to focus on stage acting, a trade he learned at Stanford when he took time off in the nineties to focus on his education. But when the on screen worked completely dried up, he'd pivot to jobs like tupperware sales rep, restaurant manager, or vet technician to pay the bills. But in twenty twenty two, the itch came back and he'd return to Hollywood to start over in the industry he excelled in as a child, and after courageously conquering the demons he accumulated during the struggle, he finds himself back in the hustle now as an adult and exhibiting the same type of honesty we hope to bring to podmeats World every week, whether it's posting pictures of himself as an Amazon Flex driver or sharing the quote unquote residuals that come from a year old TV show, He's been open and vulnerable for all to see. And so this week we are happy to welcome to podmeats World a brother in honesty, Danny Pintaro. Huh Hello, We Hey, Danny, Danny, thank you so much for joining us. I don't think any of us have met before, but it's still so strange to feel like we have because we all have this very, you know, rare commonality of shared history of child actorhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think part of it is that we're a little bit off in terms of the timeline, and I had already pretty much sort of left the business quote unquote by the time y'all were working. So that's probably the biggest reason that we haven't connected for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you weren't always in Hollywood as a kid. You were born in New Jersey and your parents had jobs far from the business. Yes, do you remember their reaction when you started showing an interest in acting.
Speaker 7: Well, it's actually the opposite. I didn't show an interest in acting. The story is officially that my mom was a hairdresser. She worked in New Jersey. We're about an hour outside of Manhattan. And it's just you all know the feeling like if you live in the valley here in LA and you have a cute kid, everybody says, oh, you've got to get him into the business, right. So she had some pictures of me on her mirror and everybody was like, he's so cute, He's so cute. So finally, to shut them up, she sent one Polari picture to a talent agency in New York and they called her three days later with a modeling job for me. Wow, and and and and I mean literally it never stopped. I literally everything I auditioned for. I got every every commercial, every modeling job. I was on a soap opera starting at the age of two. I did that for four years.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm sorry the picture the polaroid that she said, how old were you in the polaroid?
Speaker 7: I was too. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it definitely wasn't something I was like, Mom, let's do this. It was oh, crap, we have to do this. And it was always very She was always really good about saying, look, if you don't feel like doing it, if you don't want to do this anymore, it's totally fine. And I was always game because you know, I was really young, which man, I got lots of toys and presents and food whenever I did a good job or had a good audition. The attention that you're getting as a child, especially that young. But honestly, for me, the thing I always say is it really feels like the universe was at play. There's there's It's one thing to be a cute kid to do some commercials. It's another thing to be a three, four, five six year old doing a soap opera.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He played Paul Ryan, right, originally Paul Stenback.
Speaker 7: I was Paul stend Back and then at some point he became Paul Ryan. Okay, but yeah, so like you can't teach a three year old how to there's this one scene that I remember, it was a uh we were locked in the closet of my mother's house. Barbara Barbara Ryan was her character, Colleen Zank the actress is amazing, and they set the set on fire, like set it on fire. I mean how they did it, I still don't know, but I was so fascinated. Anyway, She and I go screaming and crying through the living room that is on fire, you know, and I was like, cool, are we gonna do it again? You know, how do you teach You can't teach a four year old to be capable of having that sort of insight, right, So especially with Kujo, Like I mean, people, everyone thinks that I am permanently scarred for life with dogs.
Speaker 4: Right, and that movie was pretty scaring.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, yeah, so much.
Speaker 7: Man. It still lives up to this day, which is the thing I really love about it. But you know, everyone thinks I'm scarred, and I think it's a it's a testament to my ability or my performs that they think that I'm scarred for life because it's just so real. And even on set every day every take, D Wallace would say, you know, this isn't real we're okay. Are you okay? Do you need anything? And I swear to you my answer would always be I'm good. Are they moving the camera?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: What are we doing next? At the age of six, like, how do you There's more going on to it, right, I just I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 4: Do you have memories from being on the as the world turns set? Or do you even like, I mean, when do you have your first what's your first memories?
Speaker 6: Ask the same question.
Speaker 7: It's so hard to I mean a lot of my memories are pictures from the time right because we create those in post right.
Speaker 5: Column.
Speaker 7: The memories that I have that are really strong are the fire like things that just really stand out for Kujo. The one of the few things I remember is they cut the the pinto in half so they could get the camera into the engine area with the thing, So I just have this vivid image of this like car that's cut up and the one scene there's a scene where the camera spins around in the ceiling of the car and I remember that. But it's mostly visuals of like see the scenic stuff. I I guess a fascination for the sets, but yeah, memory is hard. Right. I think we all have memory things, yes, actors, especially the younger. The younger you started, the worse your current memory issues are.
Speaker 5: Like what you focus on like as a kid is so different, because, like you were saying, the craft service was such a big deal to me.
Speaker 6: Like my mom never let me have sugary stuff.
Speaker 5: So when you got to a craft service and its red vines, I was like, they just leave these out for we don't pay for this, And it was like, yet, that's that's the least important part of a set when you're a kid, And it's like it's so funny because you know, I'm an eleven year old now, and like he cares about food wherever we go, like that's what they remember. It's like, oh, we got ice cream.
Speaker 7: I was so precocious that I loved King crab legs and escargo.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I.
Speaker 7: Don't get me. Sorry what I meant though, on the memory thing, I'm actually curious to see if any of you have this. I have this theory, this working theory. My current long term memory is horrible, and I've always felt that because I was so young when my brain was developing and I was focused on short term memory. Things like memorizing lines. I'm wondering if my actual sort of long term memory area of the brain is a little underdeveloped, because my husband will tell you I cannot remember last week to save my life, maybe through Alzheimer's. But I don't know. Do y'all feel that that's like a possibility.
Speaker 5: I mean, I do feel like it's a muscle, like memory is a muscle that you work. And I just know that, like memorizing, because I've been acting for years and when I try and memorize now, it's difficult, whereas when we're on boy Me's World, not a problem. No, And I feel like it's something that when you start doing it, because my wife is still acting and she'll go through like a year of not working, but then she'll be working, be hard, and then the next time it's easy again.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like you just have to work on it.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. Yeah, I definitely think it's a but I don't know if I notice a difference between long term and short term. It's just whether I'm working on either one or not.
Speaker 7: Well, you're lucky. I yeah, maybe it's just genetics.
Speaker 4: I don't have great long term memory either, But have you tried anything like keeping a journal and then and then going back and reading things and then seeing if you can actually like, yes, I do remember that conversation I had.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't that be nice if I could actually keep myself in check to actually do that every day? Saying that for years and I still haven't done it. So I'm screwed.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I'm gonna I mean, if you're forgetting to write in your memory journal, that's probably not the best comment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, let's start there. I can't even remember to do that.
Speaker 6: But no, it's true. I mean we did. We did a live show in New York.
Speaker 1: Then Rider and I had to do just a small scene together and it was what ten lines each maybe something like that, and we had to go.
Speaker 6: Over it like twenty five times. Where's back in the day?
Speaker 5: You and I would literally do it once and the rest of the week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I read it with my wife, I ran it with Rider. I ran it was just like, let's I need to need I had to work at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so funny. Okay, So your dad he worked on a lumber yard, right, yeah, okay, so he worked in a lumber store and your mom was a hairdresser who, on a lark decides to send your picture in And you now are consistently booking jobs. You've already now been on a bunch of commercials, modeling jobs, You've done a for years, You've done a soap opera, You've done a massive movie like Kujoe. Are your parents freaking out? How do they just all of a sudden now is there full time job on set with you? How are they responding to this sort of immediate career you have.
Speaker 7: So the thing about it is that the money wasn't particularly great until that point. It was useful and it was important, but Dad still worked, so it was mom who was taking me to New York every day or whenever I needed to go. And at that point Kujo was a big deal, But it's more of a hindsight big deal than it was then. They weren't actually sure how successful it would be, horror the whole thing. It just didn't feel like we had a blockbuster on our hands. Yeah, So I don't think they came out of the movie thinking, Wow, this is going to be it. We're done, We're set. So it wasn't until the pilot for Who's the boss. That felt real and that felt important. And then there was this waiting period back in New Jersey, waiting to see if the pilot got picked up. And when it did, my mom and I flew out to California. We stayed at those apartments.
Speaker 6: Near the Woods the ok.
Speaker 5: We all lived there.
Speaker 7: Everybody's lived at the Oak Woods. And then Dad quit his job, packed up the house, sold the house, moved the house, moved everything. So he he came a few months later. Yeah, because it was.
Speaker 1: I have to ask just Kujo wise. Did you did you meet Stephen King No.
Speaker 7: I spoke to him on the phone. Apparently I don't remember the call, but he was kind of a mess at the time, if you know. According to his sort of life history and his writing, he was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he says he doesn't remember writing Kujo. Really, he's a pretty good novel. I have no recollection.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious. Do you remember your audition for Who's the Boss?
Speaker 7: I don't, specifically, but the story has been told to me and it is ingrained in my brain and will never leave my brain because it's a great story and I've told her a thousand times. But I don't actually remember the audition. I think that's the actor thing in me. I think one of the reasons I don't have a lot of great memories on said is because I'm inside the character, and you know, you wake up ten minutes later and you did a whole scene and you're like, I don't remember any of that. So I think that's part of the reason. But the story is so funny and it is literally why I got the job. So I was six and couldn't read right, I'm six, So my mom would read the scripts to me and she would have me memorize the line before mine, so I knew when I went to speak and then my line. Of course, and Tony Danza Judith Light had been there all day auditioning kids for the show, and they were paraphrasing by that point in the day. So we start the scene and I literally stop and I go, I'm sorry, can you please say the lines as written in the script because that's how I memorized them?
Speaker 4: Oh my, And.
Speaker 7: They were like, that's him, that's it. Literally, we're done.
Speaker 4: Oh that is so cute.
Speaker 7: The showup coaches, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, you're like, sorry, we're not gonna be able to continue this.
Speaker 7: Until professionals can profession I literally did another interview recently and they showed me a clip of the first day of filming. We did interviews for Entertainment tonight on the first day and I six year old was literally sitting there like this and I'm like, yeah, you know, this is not hard. We're good. I mean, I was like the old man energy of just being like, yeah, I'm good, We're gonna have a great time, but this isn't hard. Like I just.
Speaker 1: When Tony Danza gets bit by a rabid bat, we'll talk, okay.
Speaker 4: The god the show may have been built around Tony Danza, but the show was really about a family ensemble. What was the dynamic of the cast Like it was awesome and.
Speaker 7: I know you all know what that feels like, right, I mean, it transcends the page for sure. And I think Tony had this really specific idea that one of the ways to keep the show being successful was to bring the audience in every time we did a live taping. And I mean he was literally standing in front of the audience talking to them while people were changing, while stuff was moving around. He kept them engaged. He was telling stories, he was doing jokes, he was tap dancing, went to our little tap dance thing, and that transcended into our performances because we also understood that the more we loved each other and had we're having fun, the more the audience would love the moment. And it just felt like it was this circle of like energy moving around, and I mean every moment of it was just magical. There's there's and then you know, so it transcends. You've got Tony and Judith loving when I bring in report cards, and you've got Alyssa and I fighting like brother and sister, which amazing. But it is a relationship that will always be there. I mean, you guys know that. It's like I don't speak to them for a hot minute and then I see them again and it's we pick up right where we left off. Yeah. But it's so funny to me because people truly truly expect that we are chatting like on a regular.
Speaker 4: Basis, Yes, all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got to start a podcast and then you will be no, no, not you and I no, I know, but that's how we stated, that's what and then we started this and now we talk all the time.
Speaker 7: Isn't that fascinating?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 7: The idea that these people are absolutely convinced that I spoke to Judith yesterday about a day. Yeah, right, totally, because that's how deeply we brought them into this sort of like image that we created. It wasn't fake, but it is definitely we were working together in the long run, right. Sometimes I'll say to people, do you still talk to people you worked with forty years ago?
Speaker 8: And they'll be like, oh, yeah, having started at such an early age, I'm so interested because we kind of all started around the same age, like the ten eleven year old kind of area.
Speaker 1: But having started so young, did you ever go through a normal schooling process or were you.
Speaker 3: Always kind of schooled on sets?
Speaker 7: Yeah? No, I think my future depended on it at that point. You know, the child the downfall of the child actor celebrity was hardcore at the time. Like, my parents were very aware that that was a thing, and I will be forever grateful to them for making sure that this was a thing. And also I'm also grateful because I had this sense to be aware enough of the idea that I wanted to be something else. In the long run. I was happy doing what I was doing, but I was very convinced I was supposed to be something else. So I think those two things combined. When I started seventh grade, which was like year four, I think of Who's the Boss parents went to the show and they said, look, either you let him actually go to school or he's not coming back.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 7: I had never heard of it being I still haven't heard of it being done. So what I did was I went to school in Van Ey's Montclair. Do I have any of you remember Montclair Private School in Van Eys. I went there eight am to fifth period and then I would drive over the hill to set. Every day. They would just skip my stuff till I got there and we would do the run throughs. At the end of the day that I would go home and I would do my homework. I had a four point zero GPA. I was in all AP classes and so that's the big stories. Like the day the show ended, I just went to school for the rest of the day. Nothing changed. Wow, that's man really like life saver. I'm sure it doesn't mean I didn't have a downfall, it was just a lot later.
Speaker 4: When did you know Who's the Boss was a hit?
Speaker 7: They knew pretty quickly. I think everybody could feel it because there was a lot of energy behind it, from the network and from the studio and all of that, so it felt really clear as soon as it got picked up. I think the energy was I mean, it was obvious. You had these amazing tony Judith light, Catherine Hellman leading.
Speaker 4: That's who I want to know about Mona. What was it like working with Catherine Hellman?
Speaker 7: We will all tell you that she was the boss for sure. Oh yeah, say that. And she I mean she was consummate professional. She had six dashuns that were always on set.
Speaker 6: Just fantastic.
Speaker 7: She just her energy was always really grounded. She's not that funny in person. She's funny and so friendly and so nice, but she's not like full Mona off the camera, right, she's much more grounded and much more sort of like life and connect and make sure you're doing okay kind of vibes, which is all Judith as well. I mean Judith off camera is is so funny on camera, but off camera she's much Have you met Judith, I have not. Her energy is very when she speaks to you, you can just feel the feel the sort of like I need to learn this about you, I need to make sure you're okay. She's always been like that. Oh empathic, empathic, Yes, very empathic.
Speaker 5: That's where Yeah, a lot of actors are right, they have that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, I also think there's something when you, especially for child actors, having that kind of grounding force in the set.
Speaker 3: We had that with William Daniels.
Speaker 1: So having that kind of old school actor that has been there, seen it done it is a consummate professional I swear that helps the next generation of actors coming up when you just have that kind of force on the set with you every day. Yeah, it really made a difference. I thank god for the fact that Bill was there for us every day, just even though he was the same way. He wasn't particularly funny, there was times he could be grumpy, but there was just that gravitas of professionalism.
Speaker 3: And you know, this is this is.
Speaker 1: A job, and it can be fun and it can be enjoyable, but it's still you're at work and you've got to balance your work life and your home life. And again, I think all that comes from having that person who's been there, done that, and so yeah, I can I can see having that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes such a difference.
Speaker 7: As we've seen, there are a lot of stories of that not being a situation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: I think it changed at some point, honestly, Like, I would never have imagined that any of the shows from my period of time, like not People being the way that they were with the Disney Kids, that that would be not that would not go over well on an eighties sitcom set, right, That's just not not happening. So I don't know where it changed or how it changed. I don't know if it's because it was a whole entity in itself, the Nickelodeon bubble, the Disney bubble, there's a whole other set of expectations. But yeah, like it's always surprising to me to hear it because you would never you would never have seen that on on Growing Pains or you know, any of those shows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, having another teen on set who was also facing mass stardom could be really helpful. What was your relationship with Alyssa Milano?
Speaker 7: Like, so for most of the show, I was so busy focused on school, and like I would show up to set, I'd be there for literally like two hours and do my thing and then go home. We were we loved each other. It was a beautiful relationship, but we weren't like hanging out or calling each other. She was hanging out with the boys that she was you know that she was into or she was definitely doing some of the going out to events in Hollywood and being sort of seen. She you know, she was very popular at the time. Right, So this little kid who doesn't really who just wants to do his homework is like not on her radar, right, Yes, but it was never more than that. Now now we're closer than we had ever been on the show, which is so wonderful to me. And she is a really, really terrific woman and all of the things that she strives to be and strives to achieve for other people. It is just blows my mind how. I don't know how she gets up every day and just keeps so focused on achieving these goals up in the world. You know, if I could just be a little bit more like her, I'd be happy.
Speaker 4: You have been very open about your struggles with sobriety and drugs. Do you think early stardom is a gateway drug to drugs?
Speaker 7: Is a gateway to drugs? I see where you're going. Yeah, it depends on how you look at it. I think, like with anyone in the world, when there's strife, and when there's identity problems, and when there is the inability to know who you are as a human and your stock or your lost, I think that's more the gateway than the child celebrity. I think the child celebrity is the reason you're lost or can't find your way. But I wouldn't say and it didn't happen to every It doesn't happen to everyone. Right, You've got plenty of examples of actors who just were Okay, my version is backwards in a weird way. Like I look at my life as sort of three chapters, and the first chapter was all the way to the age of thirty five. So thirty five was when I finally had this sort of like breakdown because it took me that long to get past these identity issues. Even though I was one hundred percent convinced that I wanted to be something else, which was a veterinarian, I kept doing this thing, Like when I got into Stanford, I literally my acceptance letter just or my what do you call that? The letter you send?
Speaker 4: Incation letter?
Speaker 7: It was all about being a veterinarian. So I went there to be a veterinarian. I could not pass the math and science to save my life and was devastated. So what do I do? I come back to LA to try to be an actor. I literally left Stanford to go back to LA. Spend about six weeks going what the hell are you thinking? Go back to Stanford. It's fucking Stanford? Like yeah, And then I moved to New York to try to be a theater director. That didn't go well. So what do I do? I go back to being an actor theater acting of course, right, and then I get into some problems with drug in New York that was just at the wrong time, like at the wrong place, at the wrong time, and I let it get out of a hand because I was having identity issues. Yeah, finally I had to leave New York. I go back to LA to be an actor. Right. So we're going through that time period and the universe is absolutely telling me it is the wrong move. Just story after story of stuff, like I'm mentioned on Will and Grace. We call them and say, hey, bring him on. They're like no, We're like you you mentioned him five times in the episode. And do you know how many celebrities want to be on this show?
Speaker 6: Well, how many of them, do you member you talking about?
Speaker 7: But it's a much longer story and it's not even worth going through. But stuff like that was happening, and I was like, Okay, I'm done, no more acting, I'm done. I'm going to be a casting director. So I just moved into another area of the business, and I work as a casting director. Then I move into a talent agent, and by then I'm thirty five, and I feel like all of the stuff that's just brimming and sort of sitting there, and while I love it, I'm also making other people's careers successful right as a talent agent's assistant, which was so hard I think on my brain in the long run that I finally snapped and I attempted to take my life and I was two weeks in the psych ward and that was the moment. That was the first moment when I felt truly like I could step away and and just start over. But it took that to get.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 7: Then ten years of zero business, like nothing to do with the entertainment business at all, my husband started working as a restaurant manager. I managed the largest pfchains in the country for two vicious and then finally I come back to vet tech. So I start working at a shelter in Austin, and then I moved into their veteran a clinic, and then I moved to a private clinic, and life was amazing. I discovered who I was. I was happily married, we were making money, we felt really solid. And then I saw Wilson Cruz and Anthony Rapp kiss on screen as a married couple in Star Trek Discovery, and something happened. I said, Oh, wait, hold on, I need to do that. That needs to happen for me. I need to see what that feels like. I need to find just the idea that finally there were these opportunities for someone like me was just so compelling. So I'm back to being an actor again. But this time it's not because everything else fell apart. It's actually because everything came together. I am who I meant to be. I know who I am, and now I want to see what it looks like now as an adult and as someone who understands who they are.
Speaker 4: Wow, thanks for sharing that story with us.
Speaker 7: It's hard. It's hard to break it up. I mean, it's a it's a path that can only be explained by telling the story.
Speaker 4: You know that you mentioned that your you think of your life as three chapters. That first chapter goes to thirty five and then what how do you how do you separate chapter two and three and how many I hope there's a hundred chapters to go.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, chapter two is the ten years out.
Speaker 4: Okay, the ten years out of it, and then I'm that.
Speaker 7: Chapter three when I come back to being an actor, which was four years ago now, and there's not much of the story yet. You all know the business. I come back to the business.
Speaker 5: At the worst.
Speaker 7: I come back right before the strikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going it's like going back to I'm a vet again, but now there's no animals left in the world. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Literally, it's horrifying. Yeah, it's not getting better. I mean, no, no, where we're at with the situation. And I've been trying to explain with this Amazon Flex stuff, I've been trying to explain to their general public just how bad it is because they just don't understand. And it's it's been eye opening to a lot of people to realize how awful things are. The pilot season story is the easiest way to explain it to them. You know, y'all remember pilot season when it was an actual thing, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, there were where you could go, well, at least at least there's pilot season coming up from pilot season.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, people would like fly in from all of the country, sleep on someone's couch just to be able to go on auditions for pilot season. There were what it's sixty eighty of them in the three month span. We had eight this year, and two of them got picked up.
Speaker 3: It's miserable. It's just awful, miserably.
Speaker 6: It's everybody.
Speaker 3: It's well.
Speaker 1: It's also because everybody can just point their camera at themselves on their phone and an influencer or.
Speaker 3: Do whatever they have to do.
Speaker 1: So the idea of these massive companies now saying we're going to put hundreds of millions of dollars into stuff that people are doing on YouTube for free, it's like, well, why would we do that?
Speaker 3: So yeah, in such a stake of books right now, it really And.
Speaker 7: The other thing I try to explain too, is that, as you say that, all of the studios are basically owned by a corporation. So instead of the studio being able to say, oh man, we got to make this thing, it's going to be amazing. They have to say, hey, corporation, what do you think about us making stockholders?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: Then the corporation says, well, what's the risk assessment on it? And then it gets it gets canned, you know, because it's not going to be it's not going to make the money. And or the other thing that I feel like is happening. Maybe tell me if you feel like this is true, is that those corporations know that if they have celebrity names in the first eight roles on the call sheet, they're going to make money or it's going to be more successful rather than take a chance on someone who is in a celebrity name. So I feel like we're getting farther and farther down on the list.
Speaker 6: It's even worse.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, because when we we we talk about this all the time, there was there was a real delineation between the type of actor you were in the seventies, eighties, and nineties, you were a television.
Speaker 3: Actor or you were a movie star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now because films are dead, all the people that were movie stars are now coming onto television and all the people that are television stars are being pushed out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that sees it. He's like, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's who.
Speaker 7: And here's the thing. They're all out of work, so they're gonna say yes. Of course they're gonna say yes.
Speaker 4: Clooney doesn't espress so.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 7: For me, those are not as crazy. I just saw I won't say Dame's I just saw an episode of something. A fairly famous actor came on and I was like, Oh, they're gonna have a great guest star three lines. Yeah, and then they left and I went, wait a second, hold on a minute, like, is this where we're at? Is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So the the person who would normally have played that role, the like co star level actor, guest star level actor, new upcoming person who they would have taken a risk on for those three lines, is now being played by someone who's been a serious television show.
Speaker 4: Arrived on the set and they said, you have thirty minutes. You got thirty minutes, and then you got to get them out of here.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, got it.
Speaker 6: It's so true.
Speaker 1: No, it's one of those things where it is the day of the journeyman actor, where you could make a very good living and raise a family on the I'm going to do this guest star and that guest star. We have a three episode arc on this I'm doing that. It's just not a thing anymore, absolutely not a thing anymore. Now.
Speaker 7: It's really scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know all of us look at social media now and the twenty four to seven constant need to be a brand and for kid stars, we are all so thankful we didn't have that. But you did face something horrific in the media. A tabloid outed you when you were at Stanford.
Speaker 6: Oh obviously that story. I didn't know this story. Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Yeah, welcome to my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean obviously, and thankfully this is something that happens significantly less now.
Speaker 7: But if it were to happen now, all hell would break loose, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, as it should be. How were you able to deal with that?
Speaker 7: It was not easy. So you have to remember this is a time when nineteen ninety seven, when it was kind of a thing for the Inquirer to help people. That's literally one of the lifels.
Speaker 5: It happened to chat Allen too.
Speaker 7: Ye, same idea, exactly right around the same time. So right around the same time. Yeah, and yeah, I just got a call out of the blue one day. Hey, we're gonna we're going to talk about this whether you like it or not. Do you want us to give us an Oh my god. I was like in the middle of finals, and I was absolutely petrified. You know, I wasn't focused on being an actor, but I hadn't ruled it out. So I was absolutely sure my career was over obviously at that point, I mean, there was no other version of the scenario. So I called Judith because she's been an advocate for our community for I mean since long before me. Her long term managers are a married queer couple, and so I saw them on set every day and I had really good sort of images of what it meant to be queer. But I called her and I said, Judith, what do I do? And she said, very calmly, just look, they can't misquote you. So if you give them really solid answers and just be truthful and honest, they can't misquote you. And so I just went into it knowing that, and believe it or not, the actual Inquirer story, if you were to read it, it's actually pretty heartfelt, which was shocking to me. It happened, and it was awful, and it was awful that it happened, but it could have been worse in the sense that the article could have been just you know, dragging me through the coals had I not participated. So I'm eternally grateful to her for telling me to say yes to the interview.
Speaker 6: Wow, did you ever? I mean a stupid question, can you, like, did you consider suing? Can you sue for stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Or?
Speaker 7: I think nowadays that would be something that's more likely to go through, But back then that it just everybody knew that was something they could get away with. Remember it's a different time. People did not. We don't think the same way as we get in, which is so great and I'm so grateful for that.
Speaker 5: Well, even even even like what you were saying about your your career being over, I think that there was a reality that, uh, you could only play gay roles, if you know, and that those were one in a million, you know, if you a million if so, if you wanted to be an actor, a leading man, you had to be straight. I mean that was because so many people were closeted by necessity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, studios used to marry them off. Studio used to marry gay men off. To wim Well, that you're you're married now.
Speaker 7: Well, look, I don't have any examples of it, but I don't know if you used to is Yeah, are you sure that that doesn't apply? Yeah, there are some people who I'm you know, I mean, you know, I don't know. Maybe we're all wrong, but we've got these versions in our head.
Speaker 4: Why do you think there is such a stigma associated with TV and movie stars eventually transitioning into the traditional workforce. Why do people think of it as being anything other than just a normal career where, you know, not making enough money doing this one, so I've got to do something else. Why do you think that exists?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 7: Look, it's happened to me so many times now in different ways. I just think that because I don't think y'all know this. But in like, like near the end of the show, I wanted a summer job just for fun, so I worked at the Gap and they somebody brought in a hidden camera and took pictures of me folding clothes and said he's already lost all his money. The downfall of Danny Binton, series regular on Who's the Boss and he's working at the Gap? You know, I mean, I don't know I don't know what it is. I think it's the idea that regular people quote unquote love to see the sort of because so for a long time it was they love to see the downfall. There is something about that. Just humans love to see other people being miserable. I mean, I don't know, and especially someone that they have placed on such a pedestal to see that person come down a bunch of levels. Nowadays, it seems like what happens is the people don't like that. So Jeffrey Owens, they did some pictures of him at Trader Joe's from the from the Cosby Show. They set the story up to be look at what happened. But the response and the comments and the response to him was don't even think. How dare you?
Speaker 6: So that is like he's.
Speaker 7: On the well, yeah, he just an amazing guest star on the pit. Yeah, I think back next season for sure, because his friend is. Anyway, so that moment that we've come at that far as humans is is really the only way we stop doing terrible crap like that, right, all this humans. So when I posted the picture for flex, I really didn't. It did not cross my mind because everybody knows that I'm working and all the people follow me. I'm live at least three times a week. They all knew, so I posted it being like, Hey, I'm at work, I'll be back live later today.
Speaker 4: Kind of so to our dear listeners who don't know, you drive for Amazon Flex where you get to be flexible with your hours and pick and choose when you are working at Amazon and when you are focusing on your acting career.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's one of the five different gig jobs that I'm doing right now. More gig actors. Acting is the gig. It's one of the six acting. It's one of the six gigs. But yeah, I came across this when I was living in Austin. The idea for people who don't understand. So like, let's say an Amazon driver calls out for the day. What they do is they take the stuff in his truck, they split it up into like five portions, and then people can pick up the shift to deliver that section or what mostly it is now is same day delivery or next day delivery with an Amazon Prime. So most of my shifts are people who ordered last night and want it by today. So that's kind of how it works. So You just fill up your car with packages, you take pictures of them, you leave them on the doorstep, and you're done. And the money is surprisingly good. When my husband and I do it together a three hour shift, we could do it in two hours and the whole shift was eighty to one hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Not bad at all.
Speaker 7: So yeah, So that came out. But as soon as the first hit of the press for it came out, I stopped and I said, Okay, how do we do this differently? You know? And I went into it thinking, we have to do what we have to do to survive. We have got to keep moving as humans. And I know you can all relate to what that looks like. We're all doing it. I am not different from you in that sense. We've never been to differ from you in that sense. I don't make money from residuals, you know. So they're answering all the questions that immediately came up in the comments in sort of the first statement I made in the first interview I did, and it kind of just all the flat just disappeared because people had the answers and they felt informed and they felt like they they understood where we are all as act or we'll all act as actors right now.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I mean most people in any form of creative field. If you're an artist in any way, you're a musician, you need to do something else. There's the very, very select group of people that are making a good living in the artistic field. You do what you have to do. And then you couple that with the fact that as human beings, you want purpose. You want to wake up in the morning with something to do. And most people are raised with or you hope are raised with a decent work ethic, and it's like, I want to get up and be productive today.
Speaker 6: I want to do something.
Speaker 1: Larry Bird famously, even at his height, when he lived in Boston playing everybody, fans would go out and watch him every week mow his own lawn and they were like, Harry Bran, He's like, because I grew up on a farm and I'm mowing my lawn, That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 6: And to other people, they're like, that's the craziest thing.
Speaker 3: So it's like, oh my god, you have a job.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I'm an actor, which is I might have a great year and then a five years, and so I want to have something else to do.
Speaker 5: There's always been a fantasy, like a mystique about acts.
Speaker 7: Definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And they project onto on two actors. We all do, I think, you know, to so we project like they must live a fantastic life in a big house and have people waiting on them. It's like this, It's like a version of the American dream, right, Like we projected onto actors, like if you're on a TV show, if you're in a movie, you've made it and it's done. And it's just not the truth at all, And it's only gotten worse, only gotten worse.
Speaker 7: The general public understand what a non famous actor is doing gigs, restaurant work, they understand that, yeah, but then when you try to apply it to any of us, they don't understand it. It's so fascinating.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's yeah.
Speaker 7: But one of the big things to talk about with it all was is the residuals. And I've seen so many things since I've talked about it a few weeks ago, I've seen so much about it, and I think they're finally starting to understand what it means and what residuals actually mean and what they don't Yeah, yeah, yeah, when you open.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's so many times and Sue will be like, this is absurd where the stamp on the front costs more than the check inside.
Speaker 7: And it is already a time. That's happened to me so many time.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's crazy where it's like they literally sent a fifty five cent stamp or whatever to send me a twelve cent check, Like, what the hell is happening, It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, we are big fans of a side hustle here, so I want to know about the resonant actor and your booknook business.
Speaker 7: All right, so this is you know, one of five. So I've got Amazon and then I'm an acting coach. So that developed because I teach act I've been teaching acting for the last almost ten years in Austin. I was teaching eight classes at this conservatory. I'm currently teaching for the entire summer at Young Actors Theater Camp. It's this amazing place in Santa Cruz for young actors. And one of the reasons they're so successful is they get huge, huge name Broadway stars to come in and do master classes for the kids. It's just discounding. I mean, the level of talent that comes, but I run their acting track, So I write the showcase, I coordinate all the monologues and scenes. I teach seven different classes in a day. It's so many, and so out of that, I've decided to sort of also create a little bit of a coaching business and hopefully that'll turn into something where I can just sort of I have a unique sort of take on it, and that's the resonant actor vibe of it. Like the idea that we're all resonating energy right as humans, and when you're playing a character, you have to resonate their energy, not yours, And so how do you figure that out by creating an inner monologue that is so specifically the other character that your brain is off to the side, allowing you to sort of give off the essence of this character that you've created. Anyway, that's a whole thing. But yeah, the book Nooks. The book Nooks. It's weird to talk about, but it's also like so cool. November twenty twenty four, I bought one and I started putting it together, and at the time I was doing TikTok Lives Will, so to go back to something way earlier. Danielle when I got back to the business. The first thing I said when I came back to the business was I refuse to lose a role to an actor who has a better social media profile. Then I refuse. And at the time I didn't have one. So I've spent the last four years building one. And one of the ways to do that is TikTok Live. Just people are coming through, Oh my god, it's you click, you know, we're good, but doing a two hour live where I'm like, yeah, who's the boss? Yeah, Kujo is boring? No that. So I'm like, I gotta find a niche. So I was like, oh, maybe i'll build this on the live and I built. I started building it. I went from thirty people to one hundred and thirty and a couple of days later somebody said can I buy that? And I was like, what, I'm going to put it on my shelf? What do you mean you want to buy it? And they're like, oh, I don't have time, it's beautiful, you do an amazing job with it. Can I buy it? And I said, oh, let me get back to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: That was November twenty twenty four. I have since sold one hundred and seventy four booknoes.
Speaker 6: What exactly is a book note?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to make sure I have it right, So I think I know what it is, but I want to know right here.
Speaker 7: It's a model, it's a diorama, and it has a theme, and it comes like this. This is what it comes like. It comes in pieces like flat boards. What I then do is pop those off. I stand the edges, I paint the edges and make them look really nice, a bunch of stuff, and then I put it together and this is Harry Potter diagon Alley Christmas.
Speaker 5: That's so cool.
Speaker 7: It's amazing. All the snow that you see, all the glitter, all of the extras. I just got a three D printer, so I started three D printing stuff to add to them, all of these cool little touches in the back. And then because underneath the street is basically gr gringuts vaults right turns gold right. The coolest thing people literally will I mean people just sit and watch me for hours. I have soft music playing. It's super zen and easy and cool. And then the other cool thing is that I tell the person who purchased it, so then what they do is they buy it. Then I build it. So when I'm gonna build it, I say, hey, I'm going to be building yours today on TikTok. They join me and then I'm like, what color do you want this to be? Or I mean that was just like that. I don't even know how to explain how the joy that they feel. This one's what I'm working on.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: Christmas one.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: My paint miniature. So this is like this is like right up my alley.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh I love it.
Speaker 1: For D and D.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for D and D. So for D and D yeah, D.
Speaker 7: Look would I just printed today? Oh my gosh, I have this sort of cartoon figure of me and I made a three D versions.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Three D printing, man is absolutely the way to go, especially for Dungeons Dragon that manol, it's already. I mean I love it. I love it so much. That is so cool, Okay, but it's you know, paying the bills, so we enjoy it and you enjoy it and absolutely enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you could, if you had your druthers and you could be performing in any capacity, doing anything, Yeah, what would you be doing?
Speaker 7: You know, it's so hard because it's been already four years of trying to come back, and I feel like what's currently happening is people are getting to know me as a human, which I think is really nice. All this press is all about getting to know who I am. But the business, the casting directors, the directors, producing, nobody knows what I can do as an actor. So at this very moment, the answer is truly, I will do whatever I can to just get back in front of the camera so people can see that I still know what I'm doing, that I that I still have it, and then I am a capable human being. The hard part, of course for me, is that you know, I have a lot of boxes, those boxes that we talked about, the queer box, the HIV box. Don't forget about that from twenty fifteen. Do y'all know about that?
Speaker 4: No? No?
Speaker 7: Oh? Well, by the way, in twenty fifteen, Oprah called me or her people and said, we want to do a where are they now special on you? And I said, well, I'm ready to talk about something else, So what do you think about that? So yeah, twenty fifteen, I came out to Oprah as being HIV positive on her show. Okay, big deal, big big deal actually scarier than coming out as gay.
Speaker 4: Sure, well yeah, but you didn't get to really do that on your own.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah, for sure, no. And I was definitely ready to talk about it. And I also felt like it was time for me to do I felt like the universe was saying, it's an important thing for you to do right now, and at the time, it really was. And I made a huge difference in a lot of people's lives in terms of just having someone else to look to who's living happily with HIV. So I've got that box, I've got the day box, I've got Jonathan Bauer box, because that's never going to go away, right. So it's just it's hard, and I just really just need something. It just needs something to come through that I can get up there and be like, guys, here it is. And it's it's just hard because thirty auditions, self tapes, no feedback, no callbacks, one callback. It just starts to get to a place where you really doubt yourself and you really doubt your ability and and you just I have to remember the the outcome of the audition is not a reflection of whether I'm a good actor or it's so hard though. Yeah, you know, you just have to remember that there are a thousand parts. But yeah, I'm ready, and I just I mean it needs I'm ready. And everybody says that they feel like something is coming, which feels really nice, and it's not just a sort of like, oh, yeah, you got this, it's like no, truly, like in my heart, I can truly feel something's coming, and I just I'm waiting patiently for that moment.
Speaker 4: Well, we will be there front row screaming your name. I can't wait to see what that thing is. I'm so thank you so much for sharing your vulnerability, your honesty. It is so incredibly refreshing to talk to somebody who has absolutely no reason to not be anything other than one hundred percent earnest about your life, your journey, where you are now, what you're looking forward to, and it's yeah, it's just you are. You're a remarkable person, and thank you for sharing it with all of our dear listeners, who I know are going to love you and be there to support you. That you obviously have a thriving TikTok live. Where can people find you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, everything is all Danny Pintaro. So just at Kintaro everywhere you go. Thanks for saying that, though, I mean, it is the best feeling to truly be able to say as an actor, as a celebrity that there's nothing off the table. It's really cool feeling. I don't know if it helps me in the long term with like the boxes going away right then, I continue to talk about these things so openly, but I'm also not in a position to play that game and sort of you know, take any steps back just to make your career happen. It's going to happen on my terms, whether whether they like it or not.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean anytime, anytime you're living in an inauthentic way, it's going to be painful. And if you are the type of person who loves to be mysterious and isn't an open book, then that's not inauthentic for you. But for those of us who pride ourselves on being able to speak honestly and from the heart and all of that, it's like forcing ourselves to not do that because we think it's going to benefit us in some career ways. Just it's just another version of living, you know, exactly, So you know, I couldn't respect you more and I really appreciate you taking the time to talk with us. So great to officially meet you, even though we're.
Speaker 7: Yeah one day in person for sure. I'm so proud of you all for making this happen. This is such a big, huge success, and thank you. I'm so proud of you for for actually doing it. I do not envy you, but it is something that I would like to be better at, which is just taking a big risk right and creating something and hoping that it succeeds. And it has by far succeeded for you all, So congratulations much. I'm being brave enough to make something happen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you so much. We wouldn't have done it without writer. Thank you, Danny.
Speaker 5: It was great to see you.
Speaker 7: Thank you have a great day, and thanks so much for having me you too.
Speaker 5: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that a refreshing conversation just like, well, I think you're right.
Speaker 5: There's no pretense, Yeah, there's no literally like no, like you just drop the idea of like wanting to be cool or wanting to be impressive and instead of just being like, here's my journey, here's who I am, here's where I'm at and it's all pretty interesting and pretty great, and like, yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Was really loushed.
Speaker 4: I think maybe one of the things I really resonated with with what he was so many of the things he was talking about is you know when I mentioned that he had been outed at when he went to Stanford, and it was like, oh my gosh, Yeah, it was devastating. He thought his career was over, and yet immediately he was also able to say it was it was also very well written because I participated it was hard and and and so it's something we come up with on this podcast all the time, is that there can be duality. Two things can exist at the same time. It can be a tragic thing that someone outed him, and also it could be something he looks back on fondly in the sense of just the heartfelt interview and the way it was handled and the fact that he got the advice from Judith Light and yeah, so I don't know, I just it felt like he sees both sides to every you know, even something like sharing that he was HIV positive. He was called from Oprah and they were going to and he said, I have something I want to talk about. I don't know It's just there's something so nice about people able to recognize and say, maybe one of my biggest hardships is also one of my biggest bussings, and you know, being able to see both sides of it. So anyway, I thought he was very impressive. Yeah, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com and we've got.
Speaker 6: Merch Angela, Buy some merch Angela, Rider Rider Angela, Daniel.
Speaker 4: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 5: I love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Krp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch producer, Maddie Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show, or email us at podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.