Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 2: Six second Plea's got TINSI texdown and now your hosts Isaiah standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful when the edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC studios welcome in everybody.
Speaker 5: We've got Patrick no, Cy Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans as we break down the Cowboys defensive matchup versus the filthy Delphia Eagles. I can't stand the Eagles, guys.
Speaker 1: The effects.
Speaker 5: I mean, if there was a franchise in all of professional sports that I would despise, it would probably be number one the Houston Astros and number two the Philadelphia Eagles. And it's the only reason that I disliked the Astros more is because they're filthy, filthy cheaters. But then I've got the Philadelphia Eagles who aren't much better.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I actually kind of go back and forth on this topic in my head, and I have.
Speaker 1: Over the past several years.
Speaker 5: I'm Astros too.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, of course. But as a Braves fan, we handled that You're welcome world.
Speaker 1: The Rangers got them last year too. They did shout out to the ranks.
Speaker 6: But as far as like the my most hated Cowboys rival, I kind of go back.
Speaker 1: And forth between the Commanders and the Eagles.
Speaker 6: Now now hear me out there, because I'm of the generation where it was much more so that a true rivalry between Washington and Dallas. And then if you know the history between those two organizations, you know that Dallas doesn't the Cowboys don't exist in this iteration if they didn't have to extort the vote out of the Washington football team, Commanders whatever you want to call them, back in you know, the late fifties, nineteen sixty using their own college football song against them, whatever, whatever. So the legacy is deeper as far as the hate goes between Washington and Dallas. However, as far as recency goes, yes, you are hard pressed as a Cowboys fan to hate another franchise more than you hate the Philadelphia Is.
Speaker 7: It the best rivalry in all of football?
Speaker 5: And like pro football, in.
Speaker 1: Pro football, it's only where both teams are good, I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm trying to think of any of the ones that would equal that. I'd say Packers Niners. Packers Bears Bears Niners is good because it's just California. Packers Vikings is good of those northern matchups because they've been around for one hundred years Taylors Brown's but like down south, it doesn't get much better. And by down South, I mean Gallas specifically because also keeping them on.
Speaker 6: Cowboys didn't always weren't always in the NFC East in the first place, they're in the West.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's that.
Speaker 8: The Raiders was really Yeah, it's because they used they had to cancelor preseason games because there were so many fights.
Speaker 1: N Oh wow, I like that.
Speaker 7: I just think as far as now and nationally it to me, it seems Cowboys Eagles is always the marquee matchup and it's always you know, highlighted. You know, you see those two teams collide, and it's always h it's always money, you know what I mean, Like, there's there's always some stakes to it, not not only the fact that you're in the same division, but I just think that it's crazy to me that it's still so relevant. And the top two quarterbacks have faced each other twice ever, Dak Prescott have only played each other twice and thelast year so one was twenty twenty one, and then the other was twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: As far as oh was it so one last year and one.
Speaker 7: In twenty twenty three. Yeah, twenty twenty one Week three, Cowboys defeated the Eagles forty one twenty one, and then their second matchup was last year November Week nine. Funny enough, Eagles defeated the Cowboys twenty eight, twenty three.
Speaker 6: You know, I'll say this though, as this is what I mean when I say I circle back to the Commanders. So the Commanders are red hot again. They might be good going forward, right, likely good going forward. And then you add the added spice of who they led, Dan Quinn and some of the players that are helping them to excel our former Cowboys like Durrence Armstrong and Tyler Biadish and Dante Fowler.
Speaker 1: So all things.
Speaker 6: Considered, by the end of this year beginning the next year, I might be right back on the Commanders being my number one most hated, but it's always gonna be one a one be like ask me any given week and it might be the Eagles or the Commanders, but it's never the Giants because I at least respect the Giants.
Speaker 1: Those other two organizations I can't.
Speaker 7: I just think in terms of like growing up, I never really saw a heated rivalry between the Cowboys and the Washington the Washington.
Speaker 5: Team, the Washington It was just I was there with you, I mean, same generation. I mean the best that Washington was was whenever it was the r G three years, the first two years and then kind of pitter patterned until Kirk Cousins kind of gave them something to cheer about. They were never really a threat. But when we were growing up, it was the Giants and the Cowboys were always good at the same time. The Cowboys. Yeah, like that was kind of the rivalry at that point, but it was always for me, it was always still the Eagles, Donovan McNabb and what they were doing early. It was always that that Green See.
Speaker 6: That's really when the Eagles hate ratcheted up for me, was that Andy Reid era. For sure, that really became the the whole t O thing. And he's former he's Eagle now's yeah, that kind of shifted it. But like I said, if the Commanders keep being good and they have uh former guys from Dallas over there helping them, that's just it adds more to the drama because it's like, how Darius.
Speaker 7: I've never hated a team more than whenever DeMarco Murray went to go play for Thes, I've never hated it's.
Speaker 1: How that work.
Speaker 7: I know it didn't work, but that was the the most he hated Hed I've ever been over any transaction and audacity.
Speaker 5: I feel like and I feel like that that was a similar sentiment whenever Terrell Owens came to Dallas. Thing on the opposite side for Philadelphia because they and he came over at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: Even though the Cowboys are playing bad football right now, the little brother is still the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 1: Still little Brother.
Speaker 6: We don't have a Philadelphia week here in Dallas, they have a Dallas week.
Speaker 1: So the little Brother syndrome is rampant.
Speaker 7: And when Sirianni was wearing a beat Dallas shirt during our.
Speaker 5: I think he still probably hasn't. I'm sure there's a little works out in it.
Speaker 1: The punchable face in the NFL absolutely healthy.
Speaker 6: Commanders are still suffering from some little brother syndrome, even even though they're off on a tear right now and the Cowboys are spirally. I saw a video last week after they win with the fans were like, we want Dallas what.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what you're begging for? Three?
Speaker 5: For sure?
Speaker 6: You probably do, yeah, if I'm being completely right, So that's what I mean, where it's just like, come on, just relax.
Speaker 5: Well, I love this. I love this. It's the first real rivalry of the year, and of course it hasn't gone well for one team and it's gone pretty well for the other team.
Speaker 7: Going into the Giants at all in this conversation, I did just.
Speaker 1: In the aspect of it.
Speaker 6: I don't, yeah, I don't hate the Giants. I respect them, but it's just it's a healthy dislike, right. It's one of those rivalries where it's like you can be around Giants fans and they'll talk their trash.
Speaker 1: You will talk your trash.
Speaker 6: But at least four rings, five rings, Okay, fine, those other two organizations.
Speaker 1: It's like for all the trash talking. It's taking you so long.
Speaker 5: Nah, giants suck too. All right, give me some give me some news and notes.
Speaker 6: Hi, all right, we're gonna just kind of spin off of yesterday. So obviously we had the breaking news yesterday and we talked ad nauseam about it. Check out yesterday's episode title being is Mingo a Bengo? We all feel very strongly in a couple of directions, Oh that's a bingo, but it's not so Cowboys, Akuai Jonathan Mingo and a seventh round pick for next year in exchange for a twenty twenty five fourth round pick.
Speaker 5: Check Out our take on yesterday's episode real quickly. On top of that, are you going to add to it from Mingo?
Speaker 1: Well, not form Mingo?
Speaker 5: Okay, I want to hit Mingo real quick. I thought we did a really good job of breaking it down because my my initial thought after the trade is was, I mean, we were thinking in real time whenever it came to the show yesterday, because it break you five minutes before we popped on air. Now, yeah, maybe not even five minutes. I I don't change the way that I view the trade. I don't like the compensation. It's also not a twenty twenty four move. This was not a this year move. This was a twenty five to twenty sixth move to try and build depth a Monks your wide receiver room. Is that enough to give up a fourth round pick and return a seventh Absolutely not. And I went back and watched the film. I made one statement yesterday. I was like, yeah, help solidify your wide receiver room. Thinking positively about Jonathan Mingo. He's got a lot of work to do. And I said it yesterday. I'll say it again. He was in a bad, bad capital, bad offense in Carolina. But there are some things that were bad, bad about Jonathan Mingo. He's got to be better in Dallas. He's got to take a step up. Not solidified with his hands. I mean, the target share is significant. He had a bevy of opportunities and he didn't take advantage of it. I thought Bobby Belt hit a stat earlier he did that was really good on Twitter. We're out of all of the target shares in the NFL since he was drafted in twenty twenty three, he has the lowest catch percentage out of all of them. With guys with ninety targets or more so, gotta be better in terms of the opportunities that are given. Maybe a little bit more separation would help him out. He's not building separation. His route running was not very good. He was kind of relying on his size to make the grab every once in a while and kind of a body catcher at times too. We love those guys here. Yeah, there's a couple of those. Yeah. So doesn't mean that. Yeah, it doesn't mean that it's the be all end all. He's a second round pick for a reason. I had a fourth round grade on him, so I thought he maybe went a little bit high in the draft in twenty twenty three. But going back and watching the film, there were some good things I liked. I like the way he is physical. Uh he will go up and get a jump ball. And he does bring an element of size that this offense doesn't have whenever it comes to the wide receiver position, because if you think about it, all your guys are kind of small, maybe Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 6: So that perfect segue because something that we didn't touch on yesterday, because again we were talking about it and processing it in real time. A few minutes after it happened, I sat with it yesterday and it hit me at my desk and I asked this question Nick Eaven As soon as the light bulb came on. I was like, so for all of the talkers were saying, And of course I am absolutely not a fan of the fourth round compensation. I'm also not a fan of the timing of it. We talked about that yesterday. Go watch yesterday's episode if you want to know what I mean by the timing of it and why it should have been done sooner. If this is what you were going to do, then it would have been less expensive. What about Flinoy? What does this say that what the Cowboys saying about Ryan Flinoy.
Speaker 7: It's indicative of the coaching staff and how they feel about him.
Speaker 6: Right, So cow poses a wonderful question, a wonderful statement, I should say, because he says, well, the Cowboys don't have the size that Jonathan Mingo brings. Well, actually they do, and his name is Ryan Flinoy, and they have a guy who can high point, who can attack at the point of attack and be physical in how he runs and sheds, etcetera, etcetera. But we've not seen him get those opportunity of these even with the absence of Brandon Cooks, we just haven't seen Floyd get the opportunities.
Speaker 1: So it just it makes me.
Speaker 6: Wonder because somebody that is as freakishly athletic as Ryan Flanoy is to have not gotten the opportunities in games to know what that data set looks like it but then to give up a fourth round pick for a guy whose data set does not look great, like Kyle is saying, like Bobby so eloquently stated on Twitter, who had Who's raw and has so much you know, more growth to do. My question is, if you put Flanoy next to Mingo right now, if you put them on the field right now, who's better? It might be Flanoy, just because you don't know exactly My point, so which deepens my take on you give up a fourth round pick for So I was out on the fourth round pick before it hit me yesterday when I was like, wait a minute, Ryan Flinoy. Now it's like, oh oh, now I'm super out.
Speaker 5: Based based on the film that I've seen from the two and Flinoy specifically in the preseason, because he hasn't had it enough run and enough sample size, so I get it in the regular season. I think Mingo is a more skilled wide receiver then then Flinoy. But to your point, is it enough to give up a fourth round correct?
Speaker 6: No, I'm in the middle of a rookie season of a guy, so the skill set might be better as far as a little bit, a little bit more refined. Sure, athleticism goes to Flinoy.
Speaker 1: So it's a wash.
Speaker 7: But what if did with his first reception? That's fair and when and wepulated how McCarthy and the coaches I feel about players at fumble. I mean, and.
Speaker 6: I don't disagree with with that, because guys need to learn not to give the ball away right on a team that's spirally, you gotta protect.
Speaker 7: The ball on a team desperate, and you cannot that.
Speaker 6: That And and I guess this goes back to what I was saying yesterday as far as the timing is concerned, and I would if you wanted to make this Jonathan Mango trade, I say you make it three weeks ago, because there's certain things you knew at that time. Cooks on iar. You knew what teams you were going to go up against. You knew your offense was starting out in the red zone, and you needed to spark. That would have been also the time and or the time for you to just unleash Ryan Flinoy and see what you have there before you pulled the trigger on the trade deadline for Mingo. So one of those two things I would have liked to see happened, but neither of those things happen. So now you give up a fourth round of for Mango, and you bring them into a situation wherein you don't know that Flinoy is or is not better, or can or cannot.
Speaker 1: Be what you want Mingo to be, and you have Flinoy.
Speaker 6: You have more control over Flinoy as far as contractually because he's still a rookie, so you still have him for another three and a half years, right.
Speaker 1: So it's so many question marks there.
Speaker 7: But you know, but I think to what Kyle's point though, it's like they probably just are not liking what they're seeing.
Speaker 5: It's gotta be something if we're not seeing.
Speaker 7: Him on the field, Obviously there's something there about Flinoy that they're like.
Speaker 5: Especially especially if it's an element and a role that they felt that needed to be filled to the point where they are going to swap a fourth and a seventh round pick. If they think it's that important for that role, that physicality to be in your wide receiver room, and you haven't shown Ryan Flanoy snaps or given him opportunities, then yeah, I think that's there's something else there that we just don't know.
Speaker 6: Possibly, do you do you feel like Flinoy's skill set could serve the Cowboys offense will in the red zone?
Speaker 5: That's about That's about all I have confidence.
Speaker 1: Okay, Right, so it's been.
Speaker 7: Clear as far as the preseason goes, even which.
Speaker 1: Goes to the second part of this question.
Speaker 6: If you're bringing in Mingo to kind of be what Flinoy may not be for you in the red zone yet, would you give up a fourth round pick full a red zone threat?
Speaker 5: No, but Mingo. Mingo hasn't necessarily been a red zone threat. Everything he's done ing between twenty.
Speaker 6: Respectfully in Carolina, he's not been of much of any He hasn't much of anything, and he's going to have to become that fairly quickly for the Cowboys. But I mean, realistically speaking, like we talked about, all things considered, including the fact that Deck is likely headed the IR which means, you know, he may not be back until December ninth against the Bengals. Then he's going to have to work off a little bit of rust, and then you know, Mingo is going to take two or three games to kind of learn the language of the playbook and his assignments and his keys and things like that. This is one twenty five move, but it's it's kind of concerning that you were buyers and not sellers. But that's two episodes ago. Go check out.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if I would consider this buying, though I know you you did. Technically you bought with a fourth round pick. I get it. But this isn't like, oh, let's go make an impact move because we're buyers at the deadline and we're gonna win in twenty twenty four. Now, this is this is something.
Speaker 6: Building you know, put in that conversation rather realistically speaking, you're right, it's not an impact move for twenty twenty five. Realistically speaking, no, but technically because of the compensation you gave up for it kind of puts it in that conversation kind of, and that's what makes it uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you spent a fourth round pick on a possible wide receiver. Two but more likely a wide receiver three or four. Right, that's kind of what you did. Yeah, so lots to figure out there. For the Cowboys, we spent a third round pick in twenty twenty two on a on a wide receiver three as well as what is Jalen Tolbert?
Speaker 6: Also, what does it say about that the progress of Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 5: Seventh round pick two, we're banking on set like No Brooks Trian Flinois. These guys are seventh round picks. You got one back. If you want to spend your seventh round pick that you got back from Carolina on a receiver two, you can throw him into the next two. I mean, come on now, Like it's not like they've.
Speaker 1: Been posing the questions.
Speaker 6: These are not necessarily this is just me posing the questions because I mean, realistically speaking, you've seen more from Jalen Brooks in the NFL than you've seen from Jonathan Mingle in the NFL. Is So if we're just talking film data sets and things like that, I mean you have. So that's what I mean when I say it's a lot to figure out, But I mean as it stands McCarthy doesn't have a contract beyond twenty twenty four, so there's not a lot a lot of time right now for McCarthy to get this figured out, even with Jonathan Mingo, so of course without Dak Prescott for a minimum before games, assuming they put him on IR.
Speaker 5: Jalen Brooks only has fifteen career receptions or thirteen career receptions. Jonathan Mingoes had a whole lot more than that.
Speaker 1: Fair enough?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean curious, since you have it in front of you, what's the what's the yards per catch on both of them?
Speaker 5: So for Jalen Tober, twenty six targets, thirteen receptions, so fifty percent catch raders, he has one hundred and sixty seven yards, no touchdowns. Whereas for Jonathan Mingo, stand by, standing by? Where's Mingo?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, I messed up. I'm a slow typer.
Speaker 1: Oh you're a handpicker.
Speaker 5: I am a handpecker. Oh no, actually I'm really not, just in this very moment, I am.
Speaker 1: Are you pulling a job?
Speaker 3: Comparatively?
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, comparatively one hundred and eleven targets for Mingo, one eleven for fifty five receptions, five hundred and thirty nine yards nine point eight yards per reception, so twelve versus ten basically, and neither neither had a touchdown. So the success radius on far fewer targets is better. Success percentage far fewer targets is better for Brooks those from Mingo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, outside of Tobert which his data set is growing.
Speaker 5: Outside of him. Man, this receiver room in ceedee lamb oh, it's rough. And Brandon Cooks who has to come back and work?
Speaker 6: And Rusto, I don't know, man, there's just so much unproving and it is shaky.
Speaker 1: It's shaky, all right.
Speaker 6: So circling back to news and notes. So that's the Mango piece. Cowboys made two other transactions yesterday. They released both cornerback Andrew Booth and defensive tackle Jordan's Phillips. So the trade deadline went as follows for the Cowboys. They acquired Jonathan Mingo by giving up a fourth round pick, and then they released both of their twenty twenty four training camp trade acquisitions in Jordan Phillips and Andrew Booth. Both of those guys were acquired in mid August within a five day.
Speaker 5: Span of Israel traded or traded the Vikings to acquire Andrew Booth.
Speaker 6: And there's something a caveat for the Jordan Phillips trade. I know some folks were asking me about that. That was a conditional move for the Cowboys. So the condition was that there would also be a pick swap in twenty twenty five, seventh coming to the Cowboys, sixth going to the New York Giants. But the condition was that Jordan Phillips had to play in at least two games in order for that trade to be acting, or in order for that deal to go through. Jordan Phillips played in exactly two games and then he went on IR and then he was released from IR.
Speaker 5: So does that count. It does, so that will go through. They will swap swap.
Speaker 1: The deal is done.
Speaker 6: The Giants are thanking the Cowboys for playing him for exactly two games to give up that six round pick.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Yeah, so Jordan Phillips, Jordan Phillips.
Speaker 5: And picking twelve will be picking two forty one.
Speaker 6: Well, right now, it all matters, right now, I guess. Oh no, you can make something popular the six round pick.
Speaker 5: Especially. Talk to me in in a couple of weeks when I get my ready.
Speaker 6: So Andrew Booth and Jordan Phillips. They leave Dallas with a combined zero sex, zero pass breakups, zero interceptions, zero force fumbles, zero fumble recoveries, and only seven combined tackles, and six of those were to Andrew Booth, only one to Jordan Phillips. So thou, yeah, those not great, Bob. Those two experiments. Those who trade experiments did not work out well.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's funny. Oh, it's not funny at all. Actually, it's really terrible.
Speaker 1: It just seems that every year to keep from crying.
Speaker 7: I know, I know, yeah, that's happening a lot today. It certainly feels like every move the Cowboys have made just has not worked so far. If you if you look back to the off season, I mean you think about bringing in like all right, you lose Dan Quinn, let's bring Mike Zimmer. Doesn't work.
Speaker 6: It's the quickness in which you Lozzie Smith.
Speaker 7: Let's rely on Smith, you know, you know, yeah, Mozzie Smith. I mean just just go down the line and everything that we're sort of banking on, like all right, let's take a chance, and let's do it this way every just at every turn. All right, well, let's bring Eric Kendricks into you know, uh, solidify the defense, right, and even that has been not great. I mean, he's he's a good addition to the to the defense, but I just mean it doesn't change.
Speaker 5: Your defensive tackles that are hurting. I was going to say and and yeah, yeah on the linebackers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I mean, all things considered, Ek has been still the best acquisition thus far.
Speaker 1: Uh, and it shouts out to.
Speaker 6: He's on IR right now, but prior to going on IR with that back injury, he was kind of a revelation in short order. So you know, a couple of them have worked out, but you're right, for the most part, Yeah, that's not worked out yet.
Speaker 1: So I mean the fact that you were drawing out your words like this when you were.
Speaker 6: Describing that tells me exactly how much of a non successful stit it has been with the acquisitions.
Speaker 5: It is just not great, not great, not great. All right, let's take our first break when we come back. It's time to preview the Dallas defense going up against this Philadelphia offense. It's not going to get much easier for the Cowboys front seven going up against an offensive line that's finding its rhythm. And then a guy that you recognize from two games a year previously, but he might be in a different uniform and playing better than he ever has, Saquon Barkley. How do you slow him down? When we come back with more talking cowboys right after this. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you foody deals.
Speaker 5: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors.
Speaker 7: Together, you're one of a kind.
Speaker 11: Fandom, paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Back.
Speaker 5: You're on Talking Cowboys, brought to you by a Black Rifle Coffee Company. Live from the Star in Frisco, Texas. We've got Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. Alongside Patrick doc Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back, I'm Kyle Yemans keeping it real here from the Dallas Keeping it real. That's what we do. We say it with our chest, We keep it real, and we keep it straight with the fans because guess what, that's what they deserve. That's what the fans deserve. They don't deserve pr and pub and just the fluff of what this team has been whenever it's been a bad football team. They deserve the real truth and the honest truth. And that's what we're trying to give them.
Speaker 1: We're talking not talking pomp poms.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not. All right, let's get into this matchup because we do break it down. X is another style here on this show as well. Cowboys defensive matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles and the way that the Eagles have been playing lately, it is a scary sight. And I mean, you got to give credit to the way that they've revamped some things. They lost a lot in the off season, absolutely, but they've found some guys. They went out and they've acquired Saquon Barkley. That looks to be the move of the off season, not only within the NFC East, but possibly within the NFC or NFL in general, because he's just been a dude so far this year. When you look at this offense compared to what it had been previously, Patrick, where does it stand out most to you in the way that they've taken a step forward.
Speaker 6: It's their halfback play is to play running back. And because they were always a team I don't can say always, but there were a team in the Jalen Hurts era wherein Jalen Hurts had to be the large majority of their rushing attack, right, and he had to kind of offset and create the balance so that he can then drop back and throw to Devonte Smith and AJ Brown once they acquired AJ Brown and Dallas Goddard in the post zac Urge era. But with the addition of Sakuon Barkley and the level of play that he is delivering for them right now, it's keeping Jalen Hurts fresh for the long run because he's not having to take off and run as much. But it also makes the things like read options that much more effective because you have no choice but to respect what Sakuon Barkley is doing. He's averaging just under one hundred and sixteen rushing yards per game. I didn't say one sixteen from scrimmage average. I said just rushing. But he's also doing it as a receiver out of the backfield. Oh and by the way, he's turning his back on guys and hurtling them without even looking at them. Right that play was unbelievable. He's yeah, right now, player the play of the season right now. So when you look at that offense, you know A. J. Brown is still doing AJ Brown things. Davonte Smith He's still very much a threat Dallas Goddard when he's healthy, he can still help stretch down the seams.
Speaker 1: But sa Kwan Barkley, his presence, his.
Speaker 6: Productivity, it just it blows up defenses because you you're having such a hard time stopping him that you're starting to throw an extra one or two guys at him. And all that does is open up things for Aj and Davante and Jalen to throw down the field. For guess who's the offensive coordinator, Kellen Moore, Right, so, and guess and Kellen Moore, although he's the offensive coordinator, he knows all the tricks of McCarthy's play scheme. He knows the entire playbook because to a degree, the Cowboys are still running a large chunk of Kellen Moore's playbook. So you better believe Kellen Moore is giving the want to keep so and now it's not even that, it's it's Cooper Rush on.
Speaker 1: Top of that.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's but kind of flipping back to the Cowboys defense versus the Eagles offense, man Saquon Barkley, I'm not going to say the Eagles are they go as Saquon goes because they were effective before they got Saquon, but they weren't.
Speaker 7: This No, it's it's scary. You'd think after Jason Kelsey retires from the NFL, to retires from the Eagles, you'd think they'd take a step back. And they have only run forward as far as the They've had injury and they've had tire. But if you look at the offensive line and you look at specifically the right side of the ball, you have Cam Jurgens at the center and he's graded at a sixty five Profole baff Focus run grade, but McKai, Beckton Lane Johnson both over eighty grade when it comes to running the Dame ball.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good, Bob, that's pretty darn good.
Speaker 7: You added the fact that Saquon Barkley, like we said before, is turning back the wheels of time and looks like rookie Saquon Barkley again, And not only with the speed and the agility and just the fierceness in which he runs, the physicality of the way he runs, but he's actually running behind a good line this time. He's not running behind the New York Giants of the last ten years. Right, And going back to the last ten games against the Dallas Cowboys, we've been able to bottle up Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 1: True story.
Speaker 7: He's only had about fifty eight point one rushing yards per game in those ten games. That's an average, right, an average about four point eight yards per carry, which is not terrible, not great, but touchdowns, guys, you know what, he's touchdowns. He's had how many talk to us three touchdowns Saquon Barkley has had against the Dallas Cowboys rushing and no receiving at all.
Speaker 5: And then, of course this is during his time with a bad Giants offensive line and still able to do some things. Now he's got some pieces around him. He's got some guys up front that are blocking for him. The number that sticks out for me from Saquon, he's always had the production if healthy, it's the six yards per carry on average, nasty work, six yards per carry on average. One game that's over one hundred and fifty seven carries, he's averaging five point nine yards per carry. Freaking Ginger's he's been unbelievable. So and we talked about this last week with Bijon Robinson and the dynamic ability as a running back and in a complete back. You get it again in Saquon Parkley. You get another opportunity with the weapons outside. I called Atlanta Detroit Junior, and I think that kind of showed. And of course, Drake London leaving the game early didn't necessarily open things up for the Atlanta Falcons the way I think they anticipated. But Philadelphia has their own element to it. Maybe not to the same extent as those two teams do, but they win in the trenches a little bit better than I think the or the Falcons did this past week. I think their offensive line, despite the injuries, still finds a way to get it done. Jalen Hurts is still a dude. He has eight rush rushing touchdowns this year. So even with kind of what Patrick you were outlining earlier, a team that doesn't have to have Jalen Hurts run the football, he could still do that. And he can do it in the red zone. Especially the tush push is still a thing. It's still alive and well even though Jason Kelsey's not there anymore. But yeah, so my question becomes to you, is is there any level of confidence the fact that you were able to kind of have some success last week? You just didn't get run all over. You allowed some rushing yards, but you didn't get run all over against Atlanta. Can you replicate that and have similar success from a front seven standpoint against Philadelphia?
Speaker 7: I think as far as Colways go with this matchup, the Eagles have let bad teams come back on them. You know, like that, the Jaguars were very close to winning that game last week if not for a last minute interception by Nikobe Dean, and the Saints, who for all intents and purposes are a really bad football team, not when they play us. Of course, the very next week they let Man. It's felt like the Eagles were giving them every opportunity to win that game. At least in my perspective, you do have a chance against this Philadelphia Eagles team. However, it doesn't seem likely based on our performance, if that makes sense.
Speaker 6: When you look at the performances of the Cowboys, the injuries and so forth and so on, this game is so stacked against them as far as the variables are concerned.
Speaker 1: The only true hope.
Speaker 6: Is exactly what you pointed out, Ky, in that you hope the Eagles play down. If they play down to the competition, which they've shown that they can do from time and played down that will likely keep the game closer than what makes them comfortable.
Speaker 1: And then it's just a bounce of a ball.
Speaker 6: It's somebody make a big play here, it's a bad call goes against them, and maybe that determines the game and you can steal the upset. But because so much is going well for them and they're mostly healthy, and so much is going poorly for you, and you're mostly unhealthy, and you're still trying to figure out because you make a great point, say Kwan, outside of the touchdowns yardage per game, he has not done well versus the Cowboys. Win loss record versus the Cowboys is abysmo. But most of that is with Dan Quinn as the defensive coordinator, not Mike Zimmer. Still trying to figure out where to have guys in position, things like that. This defense is struggling, right, so I think your best chance of stealing this win. Keeping in mind you also haven't won at home, so there's another thing working against you is the Falcons. The Eagles have to come in and look down at you and play down and think that, oh, well, you're not on our levels, so we can kind of take our foot off the gas. That's your only real hope is that by the time they realize that they've been playing down, is that it's one or two plays too late.
Speaker 5: I chuckle, because we started this whole show, despite what direction each one of these franchises is headed, and where these franchises are headed. We started the show by saying how much hatred we have for the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles are saying the exact same thing about Dallas. I mean, they cannot stand Dallas. So if you anticipate seeing the only yeah, if you anticipate that being the only hope is that the Eagles are gonna play down and overlook the Allas Cowboys in a year where the Dallas Cowboys are wrong.
Speaker 6: That's not the it's not the only hope, but it's realistically speaking, it's in the equation.
Speaker 1: It's in the conversation.
Speaker 6: Because let's say the additional hope is that you get Michael Parsons back and you get durn Bland on the field for the first time this season.
Speaker 5: What's the possibility that those two things happen.
Speaker 6: Right now better than it has been? Okay, I will say that we'll see what today's practice. Today being Wednesday, we'll see what today's practice looks like. But Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy both intimated that Michael Parsons and Duran Bland will have at least a shot at practicing today. It feels more so Micah than Deron, but Deron does have that chance. If Micah and and I'm not gonna say and or, but if Michael and Deron can get on this field for the Cowboys, then your odds increase question is, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't everyone's gonna say, well, how much you odds increase?
Speaker 6: No, see, not sure because when Michael was on the field, you still struggle with the pass rush, you still struggle to stop the run. Dron Bland, we haven't seen him on the field for twenty twenty four yet, and we haven't seen him on the field with Treyvon Diggs at all yet. But that actually makes things more intriguing for me because this will be the first time that we've seen, assuming he finally gets on the field, first time we've seen Jordan Lewis, Trayvon Diggs, and Deron Bland on the field at the same time as starters. So that could help you against the passing attack that is more or less three headed in Jalen Hurts and those guys.
Speaker 1: So there's hope.
Speaker 6: In that aspect, and that's rightful hope, that's credible, justifiable hope. But Micah is there going to be rushed or is he just going to come out and be the animal that he is? And what level can he take this pass rush to? Can he get back to it? So, I mean, all hope is not lost. All hope is not contingent upon the Eagles playing down because I get what you're saying, division rival. They want to smash and punch the Cowboys in the face over and over and over again. They want to drop a fifty burger and walk off laughing. True, but we've seen at several points during certain games where the Eagles will maybe they get out to a two touchdown lead, and they will take their foot off the guests and then they'll wake back up and they say, oh, okay, well let's play serious again. Hopefully the Eagles just get over confident. That's not gonna happen against the Cowboys. There's no way.
Speaker 7: They're dialed in for the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, I just to see that bring us.
Speaker 7: Down to earth a little bit. I mean as much as a rush.
Speaker 5: Legacy game sounds good to me now that that's the whole.
Speaker 6: Actually, let's see if we can make something happen.
Speaker 5: Jonathan Mingo is gonna go off for one, ten and two.
Speaker 6: Tuddies, we're talking tomorrow, so you're going to have somebody's gonna have to have a legacy game.
Speaker 5: No, you don't, No, I don't, all right. It sucks to lose. It does suck to lose. I hate losing. That's all all right. When we come back, we talked about the ground game. That passing attack is still significant as well. Uh, you mentioned some of the guys in the secondary. I want to see more out of the safety bunch. Where can you see more out of the safeties when we come back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast reliable Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 8: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit you nider daggonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yetie's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 5: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 12: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message it reason additional terms me apply, Thank America and a member.
Speaker 7: Fd I c.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, Patrick noc Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans. I got my black rifle in this morning.
Speaker 7: I got my black ruffle right here, baby, go.
Speaker 5: In your yetty special partners cowboys too.
Speaker 6: Still working through that that sip of black rifle that I took, that that you loved that I took a few weeks you okay, listen, you did admit that out of coffee that YEH says for though, anyone who likes coffee will probably love that.
Speaker 1: There you go, and I do, there you go, We'll probably love that.
Speaker 5: All right, h. I mentioned the passing game. I mentioned the safeties. One of the big knocks for me this year for this defense when watching the film is how poorly the safeties have played. And there's been times where Donovan Wilson's been out of position, especially in coverage. He's really been bad this year. Better when he's playing down hill. And I thought he had a nice game against Atlanta. I thought he played better if he did he played better against Atlanta. Uh. Malie Hooker hasn't been perfect either, though, so in a team in a game like this where it is so balanced, where you do have Saquon Barkley on one side, and you have guys like Devonte Smith and Dallas Goddard and AJ Brown. I know Aj Brown is hurt, but you've got the weapons that that Philadelphia has at their disposal. How much does it rely on the safeties to be balanced and to be assignment heavy and to be where they need to be disciplined? Right? That was the word I was kind of looking for.
Speaker 7: That's the that's the word you need for these safeties, man. And like you said, Donald had a really good game in Atlanta, and I think a big part of that was he was disciplined. He was saying he was minding his his assignment and you could see that it bounced off the film there. So in my opinion, the safeties have to be disciplined, be able to trust in the system, and you know, like it or not. Man, you got to be able to pay attention to the details. And something that Jordan Luis has brought up before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, details, details, details now.
Speaker 5: He was the fifth highest graded defender last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made the PFF really made game breakers.
Speaker 7: On that list. Who was the top five?
Speaker 5: OS was number one. Osa had a really good game, uh Carl Lawson. Of course, he had two sacks, he's closing in on thirty in his career. Jordan Joja Yeah, Jordan Lewis is still a dude. He had a ninety coverage grade and Jordan's.
Speaker 1: Just walked through some pain to make that happen.
Speaker 5: This one's a little bit weird because he only had five snaps, but it's Mayor's Lea fal So I would really kind of say Donna was probably the fourth best defender, and I would agree with those three off of the film. That was OS's best game of his of his year so far. I mean, that was the best game of the season that OS has had. Carl Lawson, of course had the two sacks, so you got to give him some bedit credit in a minute. But yeah, yeah, best best one for sure of the of in a Cowboys uniform for sure. And then Jordan's still doing Jordan's things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and consistent.
Speaker 6: It's good that Jordan's still doing Jordan things. Had a bit of an injury scare there in Atlanta, but right back.
Speaker 5: Into you expect I was thinking about that in the last segment when we were talking about Trayvon and getting.
Speaker 1: These guys back. I expect Jordan to play.
Speaker 5: I expect him to play, but I expect him to be on the injury report too. He was a little bang, that's.
Speaker 6: Fair, so they might give him. I mean he's going to get some treatment this week. Sure, and because he's going to get some treatment, he.
Speaker 5: May be limited or he maybe even a d n P is a veteran d MP.
Speaker 6: But as far as the safeties, I mean, you're right. The Cowboys need and this is this is true of all three levels. Cowboys need better play from everybody, but this question is focused on the safeties. So yes, you need better play from the safeties. Now I'm gonna go I'm gonna put on my Isaiah stanback head on this one and.
Speaker 1: Say thing and say that Zeus in La Yeah, say that.
Speaker 6: One of the things that is costing the safeties is their placement in this scheme. Right, I am seeing Donovan Wilson in coverage far too often. Right, go back and look at Donald and the d Q scheme, and he was much more of a downhill in the box, you know, mixed up and blitz package.
Speaker 1: Just claims playing to his strengths.
Speaker 6: Donovan Wilson this season has not been asked to play to his strengths, and it has cost him mightily even against Atlanta, and he rated. He grated very highly on a lot of different metrics, and he was one of the handful of guys that I'm listed as game breakers, and shout out to him for being Johnny on the spot getting that that fumble recovery as well. But so his tackling was better than I've seen in recent games.
Speaker 5: Got some numbers for you on that point. By the way.
Speaker 6: His coverage, though, he still struggled in coverage against the Falcons. So it kind of just all ties into what I'm saying, speaking to the Donald point, Donovan Wilson is a much better player than you're seen on film this season. So that led me to go back and look at film over the past several games and try to figure out what.
Speaker 1: Is it mostly Donald.
Speaker 6: Now, there's some accountability to donal as true, like mistackle, lack of execution, whatever the case may be. But Donovan Wilson has never been a center fielder. He's never had that free safety in him. But he's being asked to do some of that work in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Under some of it, some of it.
Speaker 5: Here's the numbers. I got to the numbers two hundred and forty three snaps this year have been at free safety for Donovan will not you know how many he's been in the box. Would you think it's more or less in the box?
Speaker 1: Less than the bucks, less than the.
Speaker 5: Box one sixty seven that he's had nearly one hundred more snaps as a free safety and as a box.
Speaker 1: This looks like a Cowboys cap.
Speaker 6: This is actually my Isaiah standback cap right some I got Isaiah standback on.
Speaker 5: Quickly, just for comparison references. You want to hear twenty twenty three, come on with it. Twenty twenty three he had two hundred and ninety six snaps as a free safety. He's almost reached that already. This year he had three hundred and twenty one snaps in the box.
Speaker 6: Come on with it again, I state and GiB So if you're wondering why Donovan Wilson was excelling under Dan Quinn but he's struggling under Mike Zimmer, I've said all season I'm more so looking at any better player execution, better player effort, things like this, But on this particular note, this.
Speaker 1: Is defensive coordinator stuff.
Speaker 6: Okay, this scheme is not serving Donovan Wilson well at all, and because he's being asked to play out of position.
Speaker 5: How many times have we said that about a key player on this defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's happening. But there's a ripple effect as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because every time he goes to free safety, it impacts Malie Hooker.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So now you're it's this thing leads to the next thing, leads to the next thing. So I one hundred percent agree when it comes to because I can hear Isaiah in my hair right now, He's like, yes, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So, I've been on the players need to play better, and that's still true, but on this particular note, if you want better safety play, you have to put these two safeties in better position to capitalize upon what they do well. Donovan Wilson is your heat seeking missile, sea ball, get ball, sea ball carrier, hit ball carrier, play downhill, play forward.
Speaker 1: You're asking him to play backward. That's not his bag.
Speaker 7: That's why he's stressed known that since his first snap.
Speaker 1: That's that's why he's sent.
Speaker 5: Him towards the ball, since he was playing at Kyle Field for the Texas A and m Aggie's you kind of knew running forward.
Speaker 6: Safety forward, and unfortunately it's it's caused a situation where rightfully so it's like, okay, well, if if you're Mike Zimmer and you want another cover safety back there with Malie Hooker, well you have a guy like one Yea Thomas and you have Marquise Bell. But those two have been mostly relegated the special teams, and now one Yea Thomas he might miss this game within the concussion protocol. We'll see what he looks like on the injury report. Something's got to change schematically. If you want the safeties to perform.
Speaker 5: Better, got to something's got to change. Came out of if you want, if you.
Speaker 1: Want any want to everyone to play better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got you gotta figure it out this week against Philadelphia. Tomorrow, we will preview the Cowboys offense versus that Philadelphia defense. What does Cooper Rush have up his sleeve to try and help the Cowboys find some rhythm offensively. We've got Isaiah back in the building tomorrow. He'll bring some QB vision as well. Taking a look at that Philadelphia defense. I think there's some ways that Dallas could still move the ball this week. I think there's there's opportunities. Just based off of the preliminary film, you can absolutely have some success. Could be a fun matchup in that regard. Maybe not as much as the one we talked about in that regard today, all right, but that's gonna do it for us here on Talking Truth, Talking Cowboys. Excuse me for just being in the back for Josh Roderiguez Patrick. No, see walk around, Kylie Omens. We'll see you tomorrow. On Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.