Speaker 1: We only have one episode left with the Legend, the Voice, the Man, so it's time we get down to business.
Speaker 2: But wait, what what have we been doing this entire show?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Ch'all for me? Life's a party.
Speaker 2: Well I know that for sure, and just like you, Mark Anthony has lived an extraordinary life, But unlike you, Joseph, he's also been able to keep his personal life well personal.
Speaker 1: Hey, the world's a stage and i'm its great at star like Bettle, why should I rob anyone of quality entertainment?
Speaker 2: When it comes to Mark, on the other hand, there is so much we don't know about him.
Speaker 1: But uh, but you be knowing. We're nosy bitches and we love the juice. So on today's episode.
Speaker 2: We're going to bring it all back to where Mark is now in his career, but.
Speaker 1: We're also going to take you closer look at his relationships, especially his marriage to j Lo and very passionate passion project at Cantante, and.
Speaker 2: More importantly, Joseph and I are going to kick it off by taking it back to his performances with legendary singer Celia Cruz. I'm your host, Liliana Ooscaz.
Speaker 1: And I'm Joseph Carrio and this is Becoming an icon.
Speaker 2: A weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous Latin v stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 1: And given the world some extra level.
Speaker 2: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 1: Because we are going in the only way we know how, with buenas vibras.
Speaker 2: Buenasriesas, and a lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic.
Speaker 1: Mark Anthony has become a voice for Puerto Ricans.
Speaker 2: Says the Mexican I love you for that, and honestly, you guys, I don't think of Puerto Rican da parade would be complete without at least like three to seven of Mark Anthony's greatest hits blaring through the streets of New York City. I mean, it happens every year. It happened when I wrote on a Float and he basically gave Puerto Rico an anthem with Preciosa. Now, he didn't write the song. That was Puerto Rican composer Rafael Hernandez back in nineteen thirty seven.
Speaker 1: But we'd be lying if we said Mark Anthony's interpretation isn't the one people think of instantly.
Speaker 2: For sure, you think of the song, you think of Mark Anthony. It's hand in hand and it's part of a tradition of music that speaks for an entire country. Our icons give a voice to people that often feel ignored.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the reason for this whole podcast?
Speaker 2: Oh so prolific? And yes, Joseph, we have come along with from our first episodes with Bad Bunny, but the message is consistent.
Speaker 1: Our icons make sure to wave their flags up high. They never back down from standing up for what they believe in. And I'll drink to that.
Speaker 2: It's eleven.
Speaker 1: Akay, you need to stop exposing that ass as.
Speaker 2: You wish, sir, while you're coming to terms with your extra party habits, I'm gonna pack it on up and take a trip back to the set.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: Thus, back in the seventies, Sansa was taking the world by.
Speaker 1: Storm, and in the eye of the hurricane was none other than Urusola Ilaria Celia de la Caida Gruz Alfonso aka Celia Gruz. Oh my god, did Ilaria Peppina Baldwin name herself after Queen Celia. I'm done with her? What to shage? So to shame? Now.
Speaker 2: Much like Mark Anthony at the forefront of the Latin explosion, Celia was at the forefront of the salsa boom. This Afro Cuban legend went from performing with the orchestra Sonorra Matansea in the fifties to popularizing salsa and helping people embrace their heritage. Queen Celia was also kicking it with the greats.
Speaker 1: That included salsa supergroup La Faga All Stars.
Speaker 2: But eventually someone from the next gen of musicians would stand side by side with her greatness.
Speaker 1: She traveled to son Juan a handful of times, so it would be no surprise that Mark Anthony is the one you're teasing.
Speaker 2: See Puerto Rico and Cuba, just I've always had this very special bond. There's actually a line from a famous poem by a Puerto Rican poet named Lola Rodriguees de TiO.
Speaker 1: Oh you're taking us to school.
Speaker 2: Band, you bet your ass class is in session here on becoming an icon. While in the poem she says this Guba Puerto Ricos on loss alas receive and flores obalas sobre coso, which translates too Cuban and Puerto Rico are as two wings of the same bird. They receive flowers and bullets into the same heart.
Speaker 1: Oh. I love that Stelia worked with Tito Pente back in the sixties and even saying with his orchestra. One of their albums was titled Cuba Puerto Rico son so Queen definitely had Puerto Rico in her.
Speaker 2: Guason case closed.
Speaker 1: She spent the rest of her career consistently working with Puerto Rican talent, including mister Anthony.
Speaker 2: But let's not get ahead of ourselves. It did take some time for them to collaborate, but by two thousand and one, Celia had more than proven herself as one of the most influential figures in music history, not Latin music, music history, standing the test of time, delivering hit after hit, which is why it makes perfect sense that she would be asked to perform a tribute to Aretha Franklin and right beside her was you can say it now, Mark Anthony. I love this performance that they gave the world. Sometimes performances are like a gift, and sometimes they're just performances. The two of them together was so warm. It's everything that salsa in a performance should be like.
Speaker 1: Chills on your face. Everybody is dancing. The rhythm got.
Speaker 2: You, it did. Thank you, Gloria, Gloria, I gotcha. Hello, the sound machine got you. So in two thousand and one, Joseph, where were.
Speaker 1: You graduating high school? Probably buzzed off of Miller lights?
Speaker 2: Okay, well I was in college. And back in the day, VH one used to do this thing called Divas Live, where they would actually honor very specific divas, right Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston obviously a Franklin. So in this presentation on VH one, Mark Anthony and Celia Cruz sang Quimbara together and it was fi like fire, magic, It was all of the things. And what's interesting about it is, originally the song is, of course performed by Cela Cruz with Johnny Pacheco, who's Dominican. But on this very special night, Puerto Ricans rejoice because Mark Anthony stepped in and sang it with Celia. But you know what's so it's funny. Of course the music is stand out, But you know what's even more stand out for me simply because you and I are fashion observers.
Speaker 1: What are you going to talk about? Nervous?
Speaker 2: Mark Anthony's outfit. Yes, this was like you know how when I have a child, so you know when you like get your kid dressed for like Lesion and you know, like Bamingo's, you're like your mom's like get your ass out of bed, we're going to church, and you're like, oh, and they make you put on like the nice clothes. And I feel like somebody dressed him for church for this outfit because this is not signature of Mark Anthony's style. There were no dark sunglasses right right, There were no gold chains, there wasn't a button down that only had one button operative like it was you know, it was a suit that did not feel like who he was. I think he was still trying to kind of find his identity. But he is a child in this so it makes sense. But the two of them, you clearly see that they have such a connection that goes beyond artist. It's personal for them, and it was beautiful their voices together. You know, one thing I always say with Mark Anthony's voice is he is low effort, maximum impact, like he does not have to even try, and pure poetry comes out of his mouth when he.
Speaker 1: Sings one thousand percent. But also can I just say that, how does he look like he's four years old? I know, like he looks so so so young, but he still has the same voice. Like that voice has been very consistent, you know what I mean, how kind of like changes like if we're looking at something back then listening to him, like let's say now it's it's the same, nothing has changed.
Speaker 2: No, because I think his voice is so pure and such raw talent. Like you, that is a god given gift for him. He was born sounding like that, like he didn't have to work on it or train it. I mean, maybe he has had vocal training. I have no idea, but I think some artists are born with such a pure, raw talent. Mark Anthony, for me, is just one of those singers, and you really see it a lot when he's in a duet with someone. But interestingly enough, here with Selah, it doesn't pop as much because he's matched well with her artistic talent, and so you just see two people that are peers, right, not one person is better than the other. It just works. The synergy is so beautiful between the two of them. And I also love that she like steps out and yells ah, so God, I was gonna say that I've heard this song performed played a million times. Do you know that I am never known what quimbata actually means.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it means. Please tell me what quimbara means.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, first of all, I thought it was Spanish.
Speaker 1: It is not.
Speaker 2: But it is believed that the word quimbata actually has African origins, which is interesting because we all know that, you know, salsa has its roots in Afro Cuban music, right, so it's so diverse the style of music. But quimbaa itself is said to mean something similar to like having a good time, like enjoying yourself, like partying, relaxing.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, bitch, then I am ketam buying while the time.
Speaker 2: I want more kumbata in my life. Kimbada, quimbera, kimba, kibita. That's really hard to say. I can't even imagine singing it.
Speaker 1: I remember watching the jalub performance. Do you remember that at the American Music Awards in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: She sang any songs?
Speaker 1: She say yes, And the thing is is I wished she was able to say kim ra as many times as she did.
Speaker 2: It's very hard to say, but I do love that performance. That is, to me like classic Jalo, And I do love when Jaelo honors another icon, because we think of her as so iconic that it's really beautiful to see her honoring a fellow icon.
Speaker 1: Fast forward to March two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: A tribute special was held in Celia's honor, hosted by both Mark Anthony and Cuban Royalty in her own right, Loria Stefan.
Speaker 1: Titled Celia Cruz As to God. It managed to raise over one hundred and forty five thousand dollars for the Sei La Cruz Foundation.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, this would be the last time Celia Cruz would make a public appearance before her death in July of two thousand and three. And this special was filled with Latin music legends.
Speaker 1: Every single one, every single one. Don't even name them all.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna name host. Yes, that's on Patty LaBelle, Mark Anthony, Gloria Gainor. I mean, there were so many people there to sing for her. It was amazing, and I think it really shows how deep and wide her impact was on the music industry. But this isn't Celia Cruz becoming an icon. This is Mark Anthony.
Speaker 1: If I got lost, I really did get lost really quick. I was like, tell me more. Bitches need to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to Mark, back to Mark, back to Mark.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: If you guys remember, Mark started as a session vocalist making Latin freestyle tracks. He famously said he did not want to be a salsa singer, but one fateful night in nineteen ninety two with the at the Helm, everything changed. And where did that happen?
Speaker 1: Exactly in freaking ms jeemish. We stay bringing these full circle moments here at becoming an icon. Honey.
Speaker 2: It really does give you goosebumps, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: The cosmos are speaking to us, babes.
Speaker 2: And this performance took place in two thousand. It was filmed a television special broadcast on HBO for Valentine's Day, and it was titled Mark Anthony the Concert from Madison Square Garden to help promote his album Gonrea Coriente, which I will talk about at the very end of the episode, because that has taking you way back too far.
Speaker 1: Back to MSG is the pinnacle for any artist's career, and this time around he was center stage, the spotlight on him. It was finally his moment and he.
Speaker 2: Was a baby. He was baby Mark Anthony like like high school. He to me in this particular performance, and by the way, great timing.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 2: He finally looked like the star and the showman that he is. First of all, MSG, massive stage, HBO, massive distribution. I mean, he knew he had to step it up. And to me, this is when he became like Mark Anthony as the rest of the world knows him.
Speaker 1: It's funny because when he set the stage, I literally thought he was like walking off of the matrix. I thought he kind of was like Keanu Re. I like wasn't sure what was about to happen. I was like, is this going to be some sort of like sci fi performance or something? And then you know that look that that leather coat.
Speaker 2: What bring it?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 2: Bring it? And we know this. Mark Anthony is a busy ass man. He's got so many projects, music, film, is personal life, producing all of it. But he never forgot good old Celia.
Speaker 1: In twenty nineteen, sixteen years after her passing, he paid a tribute to her once again, this time on social media. He shared a photo of the night they performed Quemara together.
Speaker 2: The caption read, yes, he says Annos sinea nunka olvidae suskalidosavrassos so le gallo vivo oiret amo Celia. In English, it means sixteen years of that I will never forget her warm hugs. Her legacy lives on today and always. I love you, Selah and as time goes on. One thing that remains consistent in Mark's career is that he always acknowledges those that came before him, those that's at the stage for him to shine.
Speaker 1: He's also not one to shy away from sharing this stage and the spotlight with powerful women.
Speaker 2: Which is why it made perfect sense for Jlo and him to be the ones to bring a Hector Levo's story to life in El.
Speaker 1: Even if the end result wasn't that expected.
Speaker 2: I don't think the math is mathing on this one, but I believe it's been sixteen years up since Elgantante came out.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I can feel myself aging.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about the movie?
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't watch it because at that point I have to just be really honest with the listeners, the people who like, share and comment. At the time, I was jayloed out personally, so I just you said, n I just couldn't. Really, I just couldn't. It was just like, no, just wasn't not I didn't. But I do know like the story, so okay, so you know I can contribute, Okay.
Speaker 2: So you know that this is a biopic, right, It follows the life of the late Sansan singer Hector Levau, who is portrayed by Mark Anthony. You do know Mark Anthony played.
Speaker 1: Hector Leva, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: And you do know that Jlo played Mark's wife on screen Boji, Right, Okay. I think a lot of people that saw in the theaters that saw it when it first came out just had a lot of curiosity about Jlo and Mark, and so they went to this film just to see more of them because, like we know, you can't ever get enough of big A list celebrity couples. But that really wasn't enough. And the film has had mixed reviews for a lot of reasons, which we're going to get into. I mean, if we're gonna call it what it is, it was a bomb. Critics didn't like it, and Lopez and Anthony defended the film. But Lopez and Anthony ardently defended the film, but salsa musician Willie Colonne was one of those that was really vocal about the film's failure to portray Hector Lavaux in a good light. Listen to what he said to the Los Angeles Times. The real story was about Hector fighting the obstacles of a non supportive industry that took advantage of entertainers with his charisma and talent. Instead, they did another movie about two Puerto Rican junkies. It's difficult to comprehend how two individuals who are in the music business like Mark and Jennifer are not aware of the damage and the consequences of promoting only the negative side of our Latin music culture.
Speaker 1: Essentially, why are you focusing on the booze, the drugs, and the sex when you could have been talking about the musika.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and seven, People magazine wrote about the film, saying that the film's only saving grace were Jennifer and Mark, that it felt like we weren't watching Pouchi and Lava, but we were actually watching that couple play themselves.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, it's difficult to separate the two in your head.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: People couldn't even focus on the actual film everyone just wanted the tea on.
Speaker 2: Them and listen, it's okay. Maybe the film wasn't a runaway hit, but Janthony, we're still going strong as a couple. Around this time, they weren't breaking up just because they were breaking up and punching each other and boozing it up and.
Speaker 1: All kind of f Dare you say, Janthony, all right, forgive me?
Speaker 2: Do you forgive me?
Speaker 1: Yes? Either way, people wanted more of them. Breaking into the US market meant breaking into pop culture. Conversation with that became the rumors. Tabloids thought that there was trouble in Paradise and the two were heading straight for a big breakup.
Speaker 2: Mark Anthony is, let's call it what it is, a very serious musician. He's not a pop star. He's not a pop starlet, he's not a dancer. He is a musician, and he, I think did not expect to be all wrapped up in the j Loo circus, the JLO drama, all of it right, and shortly after the release of the film, they did announce their tour Jennifer Lopez and Mark Anthony en Goncierto.
Speaker 1: Most likely to counteract any rumors of their potential split.
Speaker 2: I mean that's true. If people are saying you're going to split up, do the one thing that has to keep you together contractually, legally, and financially, which is go on tour together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you're stuck with each other, whether you want to be or not. And during the performance at the Staples Center on October seventeen to two thousand and seven, Anthony covered faithfully by Journey and dedicated it to his wife Lopez.
Speaker 1: Let's be real for a sec working on a movie and then a tour together that would put a strain on any relationship, even the strongest and healthiest on the plannet.
Speaker 2: Yes, And despite all of that, they still made time to create these iconic music moments like who could forget their performance at the American Idol Finale.
Speaker 1: I have loved it, and you know what, I remember it and I'm going to tell you this because it was kind of fun to see j Loo go back to being like a backup dancer. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I don't mean that in a oh because I mean it in a way that like I don't feel like we get to really feel and see j Lo perform as just a dancer anymore, Like she's always kind of like has to sing and dance and sing, that's what she does. In this one, she was only dancing, so she was giving it to you, that's right.
Speaker 2: So during this particular performance, Mark Anthony walks out on stage. He is singing, which is beautiful, and it's like one of those songs that like gets everybody dancing. If you've ever been to like a godnasala, a wedding, a king Signeta, like I don't know, you're Thea's living room on Christmas Eve in the sala, you know, like they put this song on and everyone dances. So Mark Anthony comes out, he opens his mouth, out comes this like beautiful song. He's singing. It's fast, it's energetic, it's high paced. And then Jlo appears, but she doesn't appear to stand at a mic and sing with him. She truly is, like Joseph said, like his backup dancer. And what's so cool about this moment is that this particular song is by Willi Colonne and Hector LeVaux. So it's like a full circle moment, right, they just one like aantin. Now they're out there performing this song by Hector Levo and the Jalo booty shake.
Speaker 1: Wow. But you know what I'm gonna say this, I think she meant that Jalo boody shake. It wasn't just a performance, it was really her dancing. Like I think it was such a very strange performance for me to watch her in because I feel like, you find like not she always gives it one thousand percent, so I'm not even gonna say she doesn't. But this one was just so different for me. Like watching it, I was like, she's a tempster, but no amount of booty shaking could say this marriage.
Speaker 2: By the time the two did call equits in twenty sixteen, everyone wanted to know what happened between Jenny from the Bloc and the King of Salsa. They had premiered the film when on tour and even announced that they were having twins then divorce.
Speaker 1: It got so ridiculous. Imagine having a grant an ABC News exclusive for your divorce.
Speaker 2: I'm exhausted just thinking about it. But listen, it's like we talked about with Benefir's first go around. Media has evolved a lot since then, especially now that we have more direct access to celebrities with their social media. Before the only way we could get any crumb of information was through these exclusive news channels, these entertainment news shows. One thing I do know is that Mark is still a very private man. And yes, Jennifer was able to get him out of his shell. She got him to step out a little bit more, start to enjoy his fame. But at the end of the day, you really have to be a very specific kind of person to be able to handle the madness and attention that Jennifer attracts. And I don't mean like on a red carpet. I mean like going out to for Duncan.
Speaker 1: Right, right, just in the daily life. But you know, I will say this, I really do think that there was love there and nobody can convince me otherwise.
Speaker 2: Oh totally.
Speaker 1: But it did get really bad. There were rumors that he had cheated on Jenny with keep my wife's name out of your mouth slap in Jada Pinkett Smith Well.
Speaker 2: In Mark's words when talking about the divorce, he simply said, these things happen. The relationship wasn't working anymore, and they realized this was the best option for the both of them.
Speaker 1: Mark had been in various relationships before Jlo.
Speaker 2: There was de Wi Rosado, who he had a daughter with and then adopted son with.
Speaker 1: There was also Dominican American actress Claudette Lally and.
Speaker 2: Former Miss Universe Dianaa Thoris remember her from the Jalo episodes?
Speaker 1: Did you know he also has kids with her?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, snip snip man, snip snip.
Speaker 1: It's okay. After their divorce, she traded her engagement ring for a Cardier watch.
Speaker 2: This major boss moves you get it, Dianada.
Speaker 1: After that, Jalo and Mark officially tied the knock.
Speaker 2: Not to be shady, which, by the way, means that you're about to be so shady. Cue the shady music. But I have to say Jlo is the one out of all of the wives that for sure like stands out the most. And I'm not trying to make this episode about her. I know we keep talking about her, but in this particular episode, I mean, when you think of Anthony, it's really hard not to also think of j Loo. They were almost kind of like the Megan Markle and Prince Harry Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: Actually facts, I'm not even gonna because like, who else did they pay six million dollars for photos of their kids.
Speaker 2: For exactly they seemed to have everything, but d Day came in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: And five months later he proved you can't keep a good man down because he then married model Shannon Nelima.
Speaker 2: Two years later, they split.
Speaker 1: During that time, Anthony and Lopez kissed at the twenty sixteen Latin Grammys, and then Mark and Lima announced their separation.
Speaker 2: You're right, I remember they split way before the kiss.
Speaker 3: But okay, Escandelo, Okay, when do I get to Yelbingo around a little later in the show, But around six years later he found love again in his current wife for Miss Universe spataguay naw the ot Fedida.
Speaker 2: By the way, they are also expecting a child the seventh for him first for her Bingo, snip, snip, and is he trying to give Nick Cannon a run for his money? But now that we have all of that relationship drama out of the way, we're reminded of something.
Speaker 1: Uh he has a lot of kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, that too. But while Joseph and I and we know you guys listening love a little cheesema with a celebrity's personal life, Mark is one of those icons that, like I said earlier, is truly a talented artistic musician, regardless of what is happening in his personal life.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's a best selling artist for a reason. Crafting enough ballads for the first dance of Beny Weddings to come, and everything he's been through further fuels his music. You can't sing romantic sids without having a low romance and a whole lot of drama in your life. You know what I'm saying. Absolutely, do you have a favorite Mark song?
Speaker 2: I can't pick favorite songs. I don't work like that. I mean, I work in three years.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do this. Why don't you do the top three Mark songs that pop in your head? They could be your favorite, they could just be the ones that pop in your head.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I would say that when I think of Mark first of all, when I think of Mark, one song comes to mind, which is a VV of me V that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's that's globally, that's.
Speaker 2: Just the one, Like, that's just the song that everyone's like, oh yeah, obviously that one, I will say. And I'm not like one of these people that's like, oh, this song lifted my soul during a dark time, Like by the way, no shade if it does for you, I'm just not one of those people. I will say that there were moments when I was going through like postpartum with Santhy, when I would have to play that song to like get myself out of my baby funkiness. No, yes, I think something and I would play it for us like i'd play it for Santhia I because I think there was something so like elevating about the song. There was something I needed that right, Like I was in like sleepless nights, like diaper haze, like just postpartum. It's crazy, and that song really did like take me out of like the sadness that I was experiencing. Like I just I really helped. So anyway, I think vivid me vida. Next song I love is con La Coriente because it's so early in Mark's career and it was like his first Oh it's so good. It's such a classic. It's also such a classic salsa song.
Speaker 1: So it has more trumpetty it's music.
Speaker 2: It's like it's pure, like it's a pure salsa song, right, because there's like I think salsa like everything right, things get mixed in. There's a hybrid to me that is like a classic salsa. It follows Sulza very classically, and then by Yeah Boy, which is newer but like BITJ I'm on my way, like where's the party? I Am on my way?
Speaker 1: That is a good one.
Speaker 2: That is that is like round up the troops, let's go.
Speaker 1: You chose three Spanish ones and that's just you know, kind of your relationship with Mark Anthony and for me, just because I didn't really listen to like trumpets and saxophones because they hurt my ears. I'm really much into his like English music, Like I was obsessed with you saying to me and you sang to me like oh my god. It just it was such a beautiful love song.
Speaker 2: You know, such I'm you're a cheese puff. You have left cheese.
Speaker 1: Butter icy cheese puffs. You could be a.
Speaker 2: Crunchy like a crunchy spicy cheese puff.
Speaker 1: And also I need to know the song.
Speaker 2: I need to know what's wrong with you? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Are like my Mark Anthony penty droppers and they're not even like but they're just so good for me. I just I love I can really feel his voice, like I know, like he's one of those singers that I can feel what he's saying, like for me, you singing to me and I need to know. I feel like I hear the words, I feel the words. I am the words bitch, Hello and goodbye.
Speaker 2: He's a multi talented artist with so many hits as you just heard us go through. But since his singing career took over, his acting career was forced into early retirement.
Speaker 1: Until twenty twenty one when lin Manuel Miranda gave him a call.
Speaker 2: It took fifteen years from Mark Anthony to return to the world of acting.
Speaker 1: Wga and sag Astra Strong by.
Speaker 2: The way, Babes your words to the amptpiece ears.
Speaker 1: How do you keep busy in the meantime? You know? Between the wives so shady.
Speaker 2: Well, Our's career doesn't just stop at entertainment. In January twenty twelve, he launched the Maestro Cares Foundation alongside Henry Cardenas. Together they've opened an orphanage in La Romana, Dominican Republic, as well as a youth home and schools in Barraanquia, Columbia.
Speaker 1: Okay, just like our homegirl Frianta Shaki.
Speaker 2: Alongside Jennifer Lopez. He's also continuously committed to giving back to Puerto Rico. Remember back in twenty seventeen, right after Hurricane Maria, they held the One Voice Almost live a concert for disaster relief.
Speaker 1: Do you remember now I do? Yes, I Do?
Speaker 2: And our other icons Benito and Bruno Mars were also a part of it. He also collaborated with becoming an icon star lin Mino Miranda.
Speaker 1: Wait, what was the name of that song?
Speaker 2: You mean the one that they all sang together?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh almost like praying. And the roster on this song, by the way, is kura it is. You had Jennifer, Gloria stiff On, Fat, Joe.
Speaker 1: Camila Cabello remember her, she was in that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then wait, We're not done, Luis Fonsi rita moreno, Gina Rodriguez who even knew she's saying? Hello?
Speaker 1: I wait, Gina Rodriaz.
Speaker 2: Yeah she's not. Everyone was on this and this song even cracked the Billboard Hot one hundred at number twenty. And there was a little cameo from someone very special. Do you know who are you.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, John Leguizamo, No the cookie because he was in one.
Speaker 2: Yes, fine, but he was not the special cameo. It was the Frog. My son Santhi loves cookies.
Speaker 1: They read about the bookies the Frog. The noise in the beginning, it's at the beginning.
Speaker 2: At the end, it's like it's like the siren sound of Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: I'm going to learn how to make that noise because it will rally up the troops that we know that we're going a happy hour.
Speaker 2: It's insane to think that when Lynn was only eighteen years old, he saw Mark on Broadway in the Cape Man, then he got marked to be in The Heights. I mean that is unreal.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Mark was on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, I know. I did not know this until we started researching for this show. But the show didn't do as well as it could have. It did get Tony nominations, but critics buried it under negative reviews.
Speaker 1: Honestly, these people are so damn.
Speaker 2: Bored hater nation. Well, it worked out for Lynn. Mark had gone from someone that was collaborating with people he admired, like Tito Puente and Celia Cruz, to being that person for the next generation. And not to mention that in the Heights of the movie was an incredible milestone all on its own.
Speaker 1: It's no wonder why Mark Anthony said yes without hesitating.
Speaker 2: See the role of Sonny's father, mister de la Vega, was written specifically for the film. It doesn't actually exist in the original production, but Lynn wanted it to be Anthony, so he texted him, I mean, yeah, NBD, right, no big deal. I have Mark on spied Del too.
Speaker 1: Sure, Jane.
Speaker 2: What we know is that Mark had been a big fan since the musical first debut on Broadway in two thousand and eight, which is what made it so easy for him to say yes, Lynn, abvi, I'll do it, And this particular moment actually marked his return to acting for the first time in fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Wow. I mean honestly, Lynn must have been doing front and backflips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And people were excited. But director John M. Chew, well, he was worried. Uh huh. Let me tell you why don't you dare? He thought, here's this iconic singer that brought forth a cultural phenomenon in the music scene of New York and whatever beyond the globe, and now he was supposed to be on a set for a pivotal two minute scene in mister Chew's film. I mean he was nervous.
Speaker 1: It was insane. There was extra security because people kept crowding the area just to get a good look at him.
Speaker 2: Two unsurprisingly ended up being so impressed with the brief time he got to spend with Mark on set. He told USA Today that guy will win an oscar one day if he does more movies. For sure.
Speaker 1: What a career from Latin freestyle to becoming a minority owner of the Miami Dolphins. Who the f would a thought?
Speaker 2: It's really out there. Mark Anthony stands as proof that life can take you in so many different directions. So far in his life and career, he's given US twenty five Billboard chart hits.
Speaker 1: He's won a bunch of awards.
Speaker 2: Otherwise known as Grammys. Let's give praise where praises do?
Speaker 1: Okay, my mistake A bunch just was. It's easier to.
Speaker 2: Say, And there's no doubt why he was ranked one of the two hundred greatest singers of all time.
Speaker 1: One thing's for certain. Mark Anthony remains one of the most influential New yor Weecans in the history of this city.
Speaker 2: And we can't wait to see what he does next On the next becoming an icon.
Speaker 1: It's finally time for the ultimate icon that's excited.
Speaker 2: I'm like that little kid that wakes up to go to disney Land in the morning. Okay, you guys, we're heading all the way to Miami.
Speaker 1: Wait, you guys, hold on, you can toads. Relax because it's not for the super Bowl this time, we swear no.
Speaker 2: This time, we're shaking our bodies and getting ready to do the Gunga. So gather around and feel the heat because we're hyping up Loria Stefan. Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart'smichaelduda podcast network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast