Speaker 1: Welcome in episode three eighty one of What's Right with Nick Wright? And as always, this episode of What's Right with Nick Wright is presented to you by boost Mobile. Wow, we have episode four hundred coming up. We're gonna have to do something special for that demands great to see you. As always, see What's Right with Nick Wright shirt, which I didn't even know existed in the wild, looks great on you. Uh A ton to do today after I let me just say this on the front end, the world series is now set basket in fact, just you know what, Let's do this straight to voicemail, brought to you by boost Mobile. Uh hoo, show Ryu. I think I pronounced that properly won the Sumo Grand Championship in amazing fashion. I really do want to go see sumo wrestling in Japan live. When I was in Japan a couple of years ago, I was not able to. I think it would be unbelievable to go. I think it's super cool. Blue Jay's Dodger World Series is set in the NBA season tips off tonight to give a perspective of how football centric I am mentally this time of year is well. The perspective is given by the fact that the World Series being set and the NBA season tipping off tonight is missing the cut rather than being its own segments. I am during October. I am just the football still feels like. I'm just so happy it's back. I'm excited, and I'm actually I've actually been really into these baseball playoffs. But and I thought the ALCS was unbelievable theater, and George Springer put in the dot guys, where George Springer ranks in all time playoff home runs, It's gotta be crazy. I bet he's top five in the history of the sport in post and maybe I'm gonna look like a total moron, but in postseason home runs, because he had all those playoff runs with the Astros, won a World Series MVP, and then last night hit one of the sickest home runs in recent baseball history. His Blue Jays are going up against Otani's Dodgers, and Otani's obviously fresh off maybe the greatest baseball game ever played three bombs, ten strikeouts to clincher World Series birth and I'm still Oh, Hubbs just text me. Hubbs was shout out to the to the first Thing's first crew for watching the pod. They said, tied for third. Oh, this is big. So Hubbs text me tied for third. Daniel says, either tied for third or number two. Uh, they're gonna continue to research, all right. So my gut was right. Springer is just an all time postseason performer. With that said, it's a little unfair. Back in the day, like when Babe Ruth was playing, and then through Mickey Mantle and some of the all time legends, the only playoff series you played was the World Series. You had the regular season, then into the World Series you didn't have as many opportunities. But still Springer a legend. So that's all super exciting. The NBA season starts tonight, that's super exciting. Uh. Steven A seems to want to rekindle his beef with Lebron that's less exciting. I with all that said, I can't get into any of it really, And he is tied for third, Thank you guys, Because how many home runs does he need for most all time? I'm curious. I think he's at twenty three. And who is most? In fact, tell me who's first and second? Manny Remi is with twenty nine, Holy smokes. Manny, all right, so he's not gonna get there. But I'm not doing really any of that because I'm so into football right now. With that said, and jose Al Tuvey, one of his teammates in Houston's in second with twenty seven. With that said, I feel like the last forty eight hours a little too much football. I'm just getting from nine to thirty in the morning London game. Yeah, that was a must watch Rams Jags, even though it turned into a laugher. Yeah, then the one o'clock slate, then the four o'clock slate, then a sneaky good Sunday night game Falcons Niners, and then last night one of the most important games of the year is at seven this is all Eastern in Bucks Lions. And then a Hexton Seahawks game that ended at one thirty in the morning. We ended at one thirty in the morning. So let me just do this in real time, like it from between nine thirty in the morning Sunday morning to one thirty in the morning Tuesday morning, that is exactly forty hours, right, because nine thirty, Yeah it has to be. That's exactly forty hours. Of those forty hours nine thirty until eleven thirty. There's fourteen and then seven of those forty hours I spent twenty and a half of them watching professional football. Call it twenty even because the half hour in between Sunday night football kicking off and the end of the four of thirty games, so nine thirty am Sunday to one thirty am Monday night slash Tuesday morning is a forty hour window. Twenty hours I'm watching football. It was too much, man Texans Seahawks needed to end, and especially because the Texans had no interest in competing it well, that's not fair. Their defense was interested in competing. Their offense is broken. You get more to that, but I just I feel like my eye and now part of that also probably demands has to do with is as long as you know, you know, we are in the waning moments of your mother's birthday week, and that can really get ye. It's a lot. It's a lot of going.
Speaker 2: Out the daily up look, it's a lot of.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of people in the house. It's a lot of women here. It's a lot of can you run to Za bars? Can we do this? It's it's it's a lot more tequila than I in my older age, and you know, typically enjoy it's a lot of wait, you're taking a nap just so you can then get up and go out and then and so it's been it's been a long few days. But luckily one thing is back to normal, and that is the Chiefs. Reminder everyone like rate, subscribe, review to the pod iTunes, Spotify, YouTube demons. The Chiefs are the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, the chief The Chiefs are back in business man, So Rashi Rice is back. He dropped two touchdowns. Mahomes is thrown for two fifty plus for two straight games. The trick plays are back in full effect. Is this the version of the Chiefs that we should start expecting to see from here throughout?
Speaker 1: Well, listen thirty one nothing and I don't want to spend a ton. The Chiefs are so back that I almost thought should we even lead with them? Because them demolishing the Raiders doesn't even feel super news. A shutout, though, but a shutout, first shutout of Andy Reid's career. How about that first shutout? Yeah, first shutout for Kansas City since twenty eleven, a game against the Raiders. By the way, Mahomes has played eight games in his career to Monsey, where he beat the opposition by twenty eight or more. Five of the eight against the Raiders, the Chiefs had thirty first downs, the Raiders ran thirty plays.
Speaker 2: Is eighty three yards of offense the Raiders had.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just awful. And now despite that, nobody believes me on this till they go look it up and I don't listen. Awful Announcing is probably gonna clip this or what I did on TV. They'll clip it, and the good people at Pro Football Focus are gonna be mad at me. But Pro Football Focus needs to have an all hands meeting where they do some real soul searching and I will, you know what, let me see if I can find the exact story. Charlie Batch. Total QBR best game is what I Okay, this is so when ESPN, I'm gonna tell a quick story. When ESPN first rolled out total QBR, they're proprietary metric that was going to basically be like a far greater passer rating. Okay, so people get these things confused. Passer rating is not QBR. Passer rating is a formula that's existed forever. It's really weird. A perfect score is one fifty eight point three. Twenty five percent of your score H is based on your completion percentage, twenty five percent is based on your yards per attempt, twenty five percent is based on your touchdown percentage, twenty five percent is based on your interception percentage. That's it. It's static. You can you can take any quarterback, any game, type it into the formula and it spits out. People get that conflated because it's called passer rating or quarterback rating with QBR, which is ESPN's proprietary stat that when it's proprietary like other people can't recreate it, that is supposed to demanda take everything into account basically. So one one weakness to passer rating is you get no credit for anything you do with your legs, so QBR takes that into account, avoiding sacks. It's it's a lot of stuff that.
Speaker 2: Say it again, Oh quickly you're getting the ball or is that not mattering?
Speaker 1: No, I think it's albeit prorietary, so I don't know. I think it's all of it. And they when they first rolled it out ten years ago, people were excited like, hey, this is a cool new way to grade quarterbacks and Florio discovered, to his credit that based on their proprietary algorithm that graded every quarterback game played. I think they dated you know, they did it. They went retroactive when they rolled it out. The single best quarterback performance of the two thousands, by the initial version of ESPN's QBR was a Charlie Batch game where he threw for one hundred and eighty six yards and two interceptions. By their priet panetary metric, that was the greatest quarterback game played on record. And so you know what ESPN did once they realized that, they said, hey, there's a flaw in our proprietary algorithm. We're gonna pull it back, tweak some things and figure out why why that game ended up being called the greatest game ever one hundred and eighty six yards, two touchment or two interceptions, pardon me. And that was smart. Like I understand that folks sometimes, like we believe in the algorithm, we shouldn't tweak it. But if something is so on its face wrong, you have to admit there's a problem in your process. I tell that long story to say this. I think the people at Pro Football Focus in general do good work. I think they're valuable if they are not having meetings this week where they say, guys, what is wrong with our quarterback grading system? Because something must be wrong with it. And this is the peace de Mondsey, You're not going.
Speaker 2: To believe.
Speaker 1: Pro Football Focuses quarterback rating system said on Sunday, Geno Smith played a better game than Patrick Mahomes. Between they published that, they put that out of the world. They said, from a passing perspective, on Sunday, Geno was the twelfth best quarterback in the league with a sixty seven grade and Patrick Mahomes was the sixteen best on Sunday with a sixty two grade. It is that single fact means the way you're doing it is broken. There is no way to massage it or work around to where if in a game, in that game you spit out the answer that actually, when you really look with a discerning eye, Geno through the ball better than Patrick, it means your system's broken. And it is important in all facets of life. When you are presented with unequivocal evidence that's part of your process is wrong to reevaluate your process. And again, I like Pro Football Focus in general. One of the original PFF guys, Sam Monson, who now does his own thing, does a great podcast called Check the Mic. I like him a lot. I have a lot of respect for these folks, but it will show a organizational and institutional arrogance if they don't try to correct course on this. And again, I'm not talking about a season long grade. I'm not talking about the way I'm saying this very you should have a moment where you say, guys, what's going on here? If we're supposed to be the smart folks and our information says Gino Smith threw the ball better in that game than Patrick Mahomes, And I mean, just see if they do it. So there's that now to answer your question, is this going to be the standard for the Chiefs? And this was so much of my frustration about the concern trolling over the last couple of years about Kansas City. All Patrick's ever needed is an offensive line he trusts and receivers will be in the right place. You give him that, and they're the best offense in the league, period, point blank. Now, I will say, Josh Simmons, the rookie left tackle who's just been gone for two weeks now, and Andy Reid is giving us no information about it. It's concerning Omar Norman Lott. Their second round pick tore his ACL. So that's your first round pick who's gone and don't know if and when he's coming back, and your second round picks lost for the season. That's not ideal. They need pass rush help. I'm not gonna act like they're a perfect team. Luckily, you don't have to be the perfect team to be far and away the best team in football. And right now they're far and away the best team in football because the Detroit Lions last night and we'll get to them, looked pretty awesome dealing with all the same defensive injuries they had against the Chiefs plus a suspended Brian Branch, and the Chiefs beat them handling. So Kansas City is deservedly the big favorites now, the favorites and everything DeMont s the Super Bowl, the AFC, the AFC West, and mahomes the favorite for MVP. And it just feels great that we've kind of gotten back to what is equilibrium for the NFL in twenty twenty, which is it's the Chiefs and then everybody.
Speaker 2: Else just need a running back now, that's all.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're going to trade for one. I think if they trade for anyone, it's going to be a d Lineman.
Speaker 2: Well, with Mahomes saying that we want to be better with than what we are, now, what improvements would you expect? I guess that's the one, yeah, you expected of me.
Speaker 1: I mean, they need to get a better pass rush and I'd like a more consistent running game. But the reporting is they're not trading for a running back and folks are The other thing they want to know is what of those what's the best bet right now for people jumping on the bandwagon, And the answer is the best bets probably one you should have made a few weeks ago. I mean, you could have gotten the Chiefs for real. You could have gotten the Chiefs at twelve thirteen to one to win the Super Bowl. You could have gotten them at plus three hundred to win the Division. If I were gonna make any if the Chiefs to win the AFC West at minus one thirty feels like the safest bet of all those. Mahomes at plus one twenty five is just it's just not a good enough number. A week ago, you could have gotten Mahomes plus Baker, either one of them hard Rock made that for you at plus one fifty. Now mahomes by himself plus one twenty five, it's just the you should have gotten at at a better number, at least in my opinion. Speaking of hard Rock, today's show's brought to you by representing sponsor hard Rock Bet. New customers can place a five dollar bet and if it hits, you get not only your winnings, but also one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets. It's opening night in the NBA, which means it's time to shoot your shot, and on hard Rock Bet your home for hoops action all season long. Do you need a little help with your first bet? Check out all the streaks heating up inside the hard Rock Bet stats up. You can find live odds to bet on all these streaks right now in the hard Rock Bet app. The Warriors have wanting covered the spread in seven straight games, is a road favored against the Western Conference, the thunder of one six in a row at home against the Western Conference. Plus every day this week on hard Rock Bet, you can get a profit boost for an NBA parlay. There's new promos every day. Boost your same game parlay or SGP max, so your bet pays extra winnings. Want to see what everyone else is betting on tonight, top pixer, parlay's across any other sport. Hard Rock Bet app literally show to you. It's another reason to download the app just for the info. Tap discover and you can see trending picks and parlays at any time. Download the hard Rock Bet app and make your first deposit payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eighty eight, admit it. In Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. All right, demanse, let's get to the early Monday night game.
Speaker 2: So the Lions took care of the Bucks last night. As we know, the Bucks are dealing with a bunch of injuries. Mike Evans even went down in the game.
Speaker 1: So with that seven big TiAl, just real quick, let's talk about Mike Evans. One of the coolest streaks in football history is done now. Mike Evans, who it's eleven straight years of one thousand yards, came into the league in twenty fourteen, had a thousand yards receiving or more every single year and a fu I mean, his fourth year, Demons, he had one thousand and one, his seventh year he had a thousand and six. Last year he had one thousand and four and got it on the final play of the season, and they were trying to get it for him. It's so funny, he's he's has I'm trying to get this exactly right. Eleven straight years with one thousand yards. Four of those five of those eleven he did not get to eleven hundred and then he had two eleven hundred yard seasons, a twelve hundred yard, a thirteen hundred yard, a fifteen hundred yard and you know, so he had one monster year with the fifteen hundred before Brady got there. But he's just been wildly consistent. It's now over and his seat. Depending on how bad the collar bone break is, his season could be over. You gotta hope he can be back for the postseason. This is my Super Bowl pick. As good as Abukah's been. They need Mike Evans back, so that's important. And they, you know, the Bucks, to their credit, dealt with all the injuries as well as any team in football could have, and it was really important. They got the you know, the win against the Seahawks, to win against the Niners at the lost. Beating the Lions would have really put them in the catbird seat in the NFC. Losing, they're still okay.
Speaker 2: And the Saints, I feel like you still did it pretty good, like the defense kept them in the game. Baker just couldn't really get anything going.
Speaker 1: Getting anything going. And I before I get to the Lions, I want to say just one other things.
Speaker 2: What oh I thought nothing? I know Gibbs is carving them up, but.
Speaker 1: No, Gibbs is unbelievable. But I want to say something about officiating. Okay, because the Lions spent all week crying the fans more than the players, but about correctly called a correctly called play and Lions media. I got Mike Valinti on the ticket in Detroit saying the NFL's wrestling and their scriptwriters and all that. And then you saw last night where just a horrifically officiated game. And I don't blame officials for anything. I'm making an observation, including an instance where the referees said, we reviewed a here's our ruling. Wait a minute, we're gonna review it a second time and in fact change our ruling and tell the Lions you're we're gonna give you your challenge and time out back. The point I have made for three years and I will make again for everyone that hyperventilates about the Chiefs and the refs is a very simple one. Officiating professional football is very, very, very difficult, and I think guys are doing their best, and I can't even say they're not good at it. They might be the best you can be, but it's hard to do. And if you are in a standalone national TV game, you are going to see a lot of questionable calls. The Chiefs play more standalone national TV games than anyone there and they usually win the games. Therefore, there's a lot of moments you remember of, oh man, this bad call helped Kansas City. And if you look at if you change your perspective and just say, is there awful officiating in every standalone national TV game, it makes you a lot less conspiratorial because last night's officiating was a wreck the whole time. And it's just because it's really hard to officiate in this league. So the Lions went from two weeks ago the Lions are mad or a week ago for a correctly called play that they thought they got help from New York. On last night they benefited from a double review, which I'd never seen. Guys, just gonna be happening. It's just officiating in the NFL. It's not one team versus another. Now, as far as the Lions team goes, that was a great win, Demonsey. If they lose there, they've lost to Green Bay and Tampa and they have three losses now. Instead of that, they have the head to head tiebreaker with Tampa and they're just a half game behind green Bay. So that's a great win for the Lions. My concern would be this does does is it fair? To you, do you think it's fair for me to say golf just seems a little shakier this year. I know his numbers have been great, but it just feels he doesn't feel quite as crisp as last year. But Gibbs is unbelievable. I mean, Gibbs is an unbelievable player, but that's my my.
Speaker 2: Other guy to me, is ridiculous. He just got a lot.
Speaker 1: Bradholmes serves a ton of credit. They've drafted so well, and he's taking unconventional positions for great players. I mean, everybody killed the Gibbs pick. People didn't love the report of awesome. Gibbs is unbelievable, and he's always fresh because they use Montgomery. Gibbs is a great football player. All right, what's your Packers follow up?
Speaker 2: Here? The four win Packers are somehow the one seed after this game? Does that feel kind of weird through seven weeks of football?
Speaker 1: It feels weird just from a record perspective that there's been seven weeks, they have four wins. They're the one seed because they've had a bye and they have a tie and there's no other one loss team. But the other reason it feels weird is this. I don't feel like the Packers have played great post Week one. I thought they played amazing and Week one against Detroit and since then they've just been okay. And so yeah, I mean long season. All right, let's get to the long night part of last night, the late game.
Speaker 2: So the Seahawks moved to five and two after taking care of the Texans who could not get it done on offense. With that said, how seriously should we be taking Seattle?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take them seriously at this point, So I think here's a take demonse. I'm curious how this lands with everyone Seattle. The seriousness that folks some folks are demanding, the level of seriousness that some folks are demanding. We take the Cults. I will take the Seahawks. I think the Seahawks. I understand the Cults are six and one and the Seahawks are five and two. I think the Seahawks are a more sustainable team and a Ski area postseason team than Indy because what the Seahawks have right now is just a brilliant defensive coach with a defensive front that is just annihilating people. Leonard Williams has been unreal all year, a quarterback that's super confident, maybe a little too confident at times in Darnold and I, Jackson Smith and Jigba. Yeah, is is really making a case that he is the best receiver in football, Like I still would have Jefferson and Chase ahead of him. And you know he's right there with Pooka. But every week he feels like he's the best. Like that's just based on track record. He has been absolutely phenomenal this season. So the Seahawks, that defense, that coach, that receiver, that's a that's a real team now And by the way, like NFC West Demons Rams five and two, Niners five and two, Seahawks five and two, Holy smokes.
Speaker 2: You take that right that right now? Plus two seventy five.
Speaker 1: No, I no, I wouldn't. I would take the Rams still I would. I would still take the Rams, But I don't think let me, I think the Seahawks should. They're undervalued at plus two seventy five. I think they're more likely to win the division than San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 1: I know they lost to San Francisco head to head, but the Seahawks now have a bye, then they get the Commanders in a game Jaden may or may not play. Then it's the Cardinals, then a huge game against the Rams, and then they have the Titans. So they're staring at very realistically being eight and three going into the stretch run. So yeah, no, I'm taking the Seahawks very seriously. All Right, you want to talk about Houston? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who should the finger be pointed out over there in Houston? What's going on?
Speaker 1: I think the GM's got some answering to do. Can't figure out the offensive line. I think that the offensive line has some answering to do, and I think that CJ. Stroud has just not been good in a year now, and I think he's in a rough position. I understand that, and I'm not trying to kill him because I do think the offensive line's really bad and the wide receiver corps banged up. I get all that. But last night's game, if people didn't watch, the Texans defense did absolutely everything you can do to keep your team in a game. At they fell down. They fell down fourteen to nothing early. Did the Texans? Okay, the Texans offense, by the way, had two possessions before they were down fourteen nothing. Those two possessions they ran a total of eight plays for a total of five yards. The Texans offense, then, after being down fourteen nothing, ran another eight plays, this time for a total of fourteen yards. The Texans defense then gets a pick and sets up a field goal, blocks a field goal, sets up another field goal, then gets another pick uh and forces a not another pick pardon me, then forces a Sam Darnold fumble in the end zone for a touchdown, and then late in the game, forces a fumble, gets another interception, and the offense just can't do anything, and so the Texans defense never quit fighting. It was I mean, they forced four turnovers in the game, they blocked a kick. They and the Texans offense was just I mean, they were two for fifteen on third down. They averaged three point eight yards per pass. I mean CJ threw the ball forty nine times or two hundred and twenty yards. And I just think, I think, sadly the Texans at this point demons are a right off. They have two wins this year. Okay, you agree, Yeah, I don't think. I just don't think they can do it. They can't make a postseason run with the stuff that they have. No and their two wins were the Titans when Brian Allen was a coach in cam Ward and they destroyed Cooper Rush and the Ravens. But it's so crazy, though, because that defense is allowing twelve points a game. The defense has been so good and the offense has just been so bad and so and they, by the way, games left against teams that are above five hundred niners Broncos, Jags, Bills, Colts, Chiefs, Chargers. So you got your two and four with seven games left against teams with a winning record. Tough year, man, And I just I yeah, I think they are. I think Demiico's a really good coach, and I think that defense is excellent. That offense is broken. They fired the offensive coordinator a year this offseason. That hasn't fixed it. CJ's got to take some of the ownership of it. He just needs to be better. The offensive line needs to be better. They're in real They're in real trouble, and for a team that's won the division two years in Ago, that's really disappointed. Hey guys, eight years after flushing his promising college football career down the toilet, hotshot quarterback Russ Holliday tries to resurrect his dreams by disguising himself as Chad Powers, a talented oddball who walks on to the struggling South Georgia Catfish. Based on Eli Manning's Eli's Places segment for ESPN and OMAH Productions. Make sure to check out Chad Powers now streaming on Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus for Bundle subscribers. We are in week four of my Mount Rushmore of college football walk Ons, paying tribute to the legends who started with no scholarship, no spotlight, and still carved out unforgettable careers. We have already added Baker Mayfield, JJ Watt and Stetson Bennett, and today, for the final piece of my college Football Mount Rushmore of walk Ons, we are adding Santana Moss. Santana Moss was a walk on for arguably the most talented college football team of all time, the late nineties early two thousand's Miami Hurricanes. He started his career as a walk on. He ended his career breaking Michael Irvin's Miami record for most receiving yards in a career. He ended up being a consensus All American. He won the Paul Warfield Trophy. He was the Big East Offensive Player of the Year and Special Teams Player of the Year in route to being a first round pick. He is the final player on our college football walk on Mount Rushmore. We had two quarterbacks, one defensive player TV in JJ Watt, and a wide receiver in Santana Moss. Make sure to check out Chad Powers with new episodes streaming every Tuesday on Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus for Bundle subscribers. All right, Demante, let's get.
Speaker 2: To the Eagles. Eagles gotta win twenty eight to twenty two over the Vikings. Hurts had a perfect passer rating. Aj Brown and Devonte Smith for combined for three hundred plus yards and three touchdowns. Seemed like those are the only two guys here throwing too.
Speaker 1: Ye is a.
Speaker 2: Concern, Yes, is the concern, quiet and down for Philly.
Speaker 1: It's got to And here's the thing, demon say, I think this is gonna be the way they have to win games, not him having a perfect passer rating like that.
Speaker 2: I thought that was the dog.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought that was the best game Jalen Hurts has ever played. Now it that sounds weird because he's played awesome in one Super Bowl and really well in another. But if you removed the stakes of the Super Bowl, if you just said, hey watch this Jalen Hurts game, all games have the same stakes. So to see what's the best he's ever played, the best he's ever operated, I thought it was Sunday. I also think Sunday kind of adds to his big game quarterback rep because had they lost that team spirally three straight losses, so that it wasn't a playoff game, but it felt like it had more playoff implication. He's been a regular regular season game and he and here's the other piece of it. Sorry, if you guys hear those sirens in the background. The reason I think they're gonna need it is I just don't think they're going to get a good Saquan year. I don't think this is a slump. I think this is who he is this season. Now. I want to be very clear with what I'm saying. I am not saying Saquon is washed. Washed means you're never gonna be good again. What I'm saying is I think this is going to be a down year from start to finish. Right now, Demons of the forty eight running backs who have carried the ball the most this year. He's forty seventh in yards per carry. He has no big runs, he's you know, he's basically almost half the yards per carry was last year. And that to me is a combination of the offensive line not being as good and him being a little beat up from last season. And so for Philly to win at a highlight, they're not. Their defense is worse than last year. Saquan is nowhere close to what he was last year. Their path is gonna be their Super Bowl MVP quarterback throwing to the stud receivers, like that's what it's gotta be. And we can throw up the Eagles schedule. They you know, they have a brutal schedule all year, which is why this game was so important. They think they now get the Giants, and I'm very curious. We'll talking more about the Giants in a bit. How the Giants react to that type of loss. But the Giants obviously just beat them, and then they get their bye, and then it is Green Bay, Detroit, Dallas, three really tough games, and so they're going to have to win this way. And I give Jaalen a ton of credit. I thought he was brilliant on Sunday and doing that, by the way, against that defense that never allows deep passes. Uh the Flora's defense I thought was really really good. All right, what else do you got here?
Speaker 2: Uh? So the touch push a little strange turn in Minnesota did a strange little lineup. I think they had a guy on all fours.
Speaker 1: The guy laying down. The Chiefs tried this in the Super Bowl with Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: Whatever its going to do this.
Speaker 1: This just needs to go away. We've spent too much time talking about the touch push on this show. It this is even more It's just not football play, and it just is what it is. All right? What else do we have on this game?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Put your so put your ten fold hat on. What do you think is going on with JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's hurt, right, but I I you know, Greg Rosenthal keeps calling it a soft benching. I think that's probably right, but at some point you got to put him back out there. I also, I'm not trying to I'm not trying to cause any b for anything. But when I tell you guys, you guys remember, of course you remember, But I'm gonna try to find it real quick here it is I talk about the injury, the injury report inflation that if they say escape major injury is gonna be out this if they you know that they always put the most optimistic glean on injuries. I find this interesting. Schefter after a week two tweet it Vikings quarterback JJ McCarthy is expected to be sidelined two to four weeks with a high ankle spring again, Schefter tweeted right after the injury, JJ McCarthy is expected to be sidelined two to four weeks with a high ankle spring. Okay, Schefter Sunday Morning said and tweeted when JJ's McCarthy suffered a high ankle spring, doctors expected it to be a six week injury. Nothing has changed. It still looks like a six week injury. Buddy, that's not what you told us, So I don't see a third option here either. The initial reporting was what most of these injury reports in quotes are, which is overly optimistic for reasons I still don't totally understand. Or something has changed, which is either he's not recovering as well as they would like, or it's the soft benching of winter was playing okay and we're trying to win these games. I don't know. I do know that I don't feel great about Adam Schefter reporting it's a two to four week injury, and then Adam Schefter on Sunday morning going on TV and tweeting doctors always expected it to be a six week injury. Nothing has changed. Something there does not line up. Guys. I'm so excited that basketball season is back and I can go back to the Garden or to Barclays to watch any NBA game that's in town. And that's why I want to shout out sponsor of today's show, seat Geek, twenty eight million download seat seat Geek, the number one rated ticketing app. More than seventy thousand events listed on seat Geek. I'm pulling up some of them right now, concerts, sports, festivals and more. And obviously, you know, if you're in Toronto or LA, you can go to a World Series game. All around the country, you can go to NFL and NBA games. I'm looking at what is the first Knicks home game that's on this time. It's got to either be on a Saturday, So who where the Knicks host? Oh, this would be a good one. I wish you were in town, Demonsey, I'd take you if you were Friday night at the Garden Nick Celtics. Now, I know Tatum won't be playing, but that'd still be pretty good. See the Celtics shoot one hundred threes. And you know how it works. On seat geek, big green dots are great deals, little red dots not so great. Scale of one to ten, So if you know you're getting a good deal or not, every ticket backed by their buyer guarantee. And if you guys, can do me a favor, the next time you use seat geek, use code right ten my last name Wright ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at seat Geek. Ten percent off any tickets with promo code write ten. Make sure you click the link in the description, download the app, and have the code automatically out of your account so you can use it later. Thank you to seat Geek. All right, demonse let's get to the craziest game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Giants' age is showing. They let the Denver Broncos score thirty three points in the fourth quarter for a comeback. We've got NBA teams that don't even drop thirty three points in crazy. Yeah, how should the Denver Broncos fan base be feeling after this one?
Speaker 1: Oh listen, Denver fans should be thrilled they escaped and now it's just so weird. And then I want to talk about the Giants like, I'm not gonna be wrong about bow Knicks. I I think even the biggest Bronco fans, it's everyone except for my buddy poker, Great David Baker is recognizing bow Knicks ain't the guy and probably isn't gonna be the guy. With that said, he has been unbelievable in fourth quarters multiple times. They have been so bad the last three games, demanse they have thirteen total points quarters one through three, and they're three and up. They're averaging four points. Let me put it like this, the last three games, they are averaging barely more than one point a quarter until the fourth quarter. And they came back to beat the Eagles, They held on to beat the Jets in an ugly game, and then one of the wildest comebacks in NFL history to beat the Giants. Now I am mark this and you guys, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. They are five and two. I am here to tell you. I believe they are going to go into their by six and five. They have the Cowboys, the Texans, the Raiders, and then the Chiefs before the bye. I believe they are about to go one in three in that stretch and be six and five. We'll see if they prove me wrong. And we'll see if they prove me wrong make the playoffs. But I am the defense is awesome. Bo Nicks is to me not trustworthy. With that said, I have to talk about the Giants because Brian Dabeles game management at the end of that game was so unacceptable. I just want to focus on one thing specifically, and then two minor things. You're up ten with five minutes left, five thirteen to be exact. You run the ball and Denver uses a timeout. It's second name. You run the ball again and Denver uses a timeout. It's third and five. There's four fifty six left. You're up ten. You're on your own thirty five. The other team has one timeout remaining. In that scenario, as long as you don't turn the ball over, you have essentially turned this game into an onside kick game, which in the modern NFL, an onside kick game means you win so what do I mean by that? What I mean is if in third and five you run the ball, don't pick up the first down, and Denver uses its timeout, they now have none left. They're down two scores. There's less than five minutes remaining if you punt the ball, and Denver would then get the ball back with about four and a half minutes left. No matter what they do, unless you allow an an eighty yard one play touchdown, even if you let them go get a touchdown, they are going to be in a position with no timeouts left and less than three minutes remaining where they have no choice but to kick an onside kick or the game's gonna be over. The fact that Brian Dable, with a rookie quarterback in his fourth career start, called a pass play. There is just such egregious game management that you deserve to lose. Now, there were other things after that that he screwed up as well. That because you threw the pick and then gave up a touchdown so quickly, now the next time you have the ball, it's no longer an onside kick game, and now you actually do need a first down to win the game. And he, of course does two straight give up runs and then a bomb when a first down ends the game. That was a mistake. Then you get let off the hook by the bad pass interference call that puts you on the goal line when you score that touchdown. I think the heavy play would have been since you have a backup replacement kicker who's already missed an extra point, you actually probably should go for two there. So if you'll go, can't beat you, but or tie you, regardless that one call calling a pass with your rookie quarterback up ten and the other team and this is the important part, being down to its last time out, it cost you the game. And if you're the Giants when you had a chance to get to three and four and instead demands the Giants next six Eagles, Niners, Bears, Packers, Lions, Patriots, I don't know how many more wins you're gonna get. You cannot you you can't make that type of mistake, and it just unbelievable. All right, let's oh, you want me to rank team?
Speaker 2: Sorry, go ahead, So with that win, Denver joins Indy, New England, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo as the AFC teams with two or fewer losses. Ranked those five teams in terms of how much faith you haven't in.
Speaker 1: I would go Buffalo one, New England two, Indy three, Pittsburgh for Denver five and Indye New England. You could convince me to flip flop. Okay, and listen, Buffalo. It's just when you have a superstar quarterback who's been there before. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. Now, Drake May's playing out of his mind. More on him in a second. All right, let's get to our last game. We're doing long form before we get to the quick hitters.
Speaker 2: All right, so ceeda came back. He's adding to that Polton offense. They are looking good. They beat the Commanders, by the way. But you think the biggest story here is Jayden Daniels, who has kind of been a little injury prone since he said the league a little bit. So far, that's always been yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the hamstring is hard to blame on him being so skinny. But fact of the matter is he's played one of the third NFL seasons. He got knocked out of a game with bruised or cracked ribs. He missed time with a sprain knee and now he's gonna miss time with a hamstring. That's three separate injuries twenty games into his career. That's concerning, and I know the Commanders are not ruling him out for this week. You know who is though? Hard Rock bet that has the Commanders as ten point dogs to the Chiefs like the they are Vegas saying, we think that's a Marcus Mariota game. The other thing that the reason the Cowboys are who. The Cowboys are DeMont see like they are gonna score at will, and there are games that I mean, they can beat anyone because of that offense, and they can lose to anyone because of that defense. They're gonna be fun to watch. They're not trustworthy Dacks playing out of his mind. Thus far, I have to give credit. I try to be fair. You know, I've not been a George Pickens guy. He's been awesome, so but the Cowboys to me are not like a real They're a fun team. They're just a different version of last year's Bengals. They can't do anything substantial, but they can score a bunch of points and they're fun to watch. The Commanders are in a different boat. I think they're just done. They're three, Like, throw up their schedule. They're three and four, and the next three are kans City, Seattle, Detroit. Like, I just think it's over over? Is that crazy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean those next three are I'm looking good if the other games were maybe reversed, they're they're the three they have after that, and then time.
Speaker 1: King City, Seattle, Detroit plus two left against Philly, and you already have four losses the Commanders. The Cowboys think they're still alive for the playoffs, and they are. I don't. I don't think they're gonna be a playoff team. And the Bears are still alive for the playoffs. You've lost to the two teams that are fighting for the same real estate as you, one of those wild guard spots, and back to back weeks. I just think this is a very disappointing, very disappointing first half of the year for the Commanders. And I don't I don't see it getting better. And I am worried about Jayden, and I am worried about his inability to stay healthy. Hey, guys, you ever notice how everything seems to keep going, keep everything seems that it's Let me try that again, Hey, Guys, you ever notice how everything keeps going up? Rents going up, streaming service is going up. Your favorite burrito spot is charging extra for sauls in guac. Come on, Boost Mobile not doing that. You and your phone bill don't have to play the will this go up soon?
Speaker 2: Game?
Speaker 1: Why? Because boost Mobile is unlimited talk, text and data at a price that will never go up. In fact, it's the same price you will pay for life. So switch now for unlimited wireless at a price that will never go up. Only at boost Mobile. After thirty gigs, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the boost Unlimited plan. All right, let's very quickly go through all the other games of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Quick Hitters Bengals defeed and Steelers thirty three to thirty one.
Speaker 1: That was an awesome game.
Speaker 2: Good game.
Speaker 1: Shout out Joe Flacco for just being like I'm just gonna throw Jamar Chase every single time. And shout out to Rogers who played really well like that to me, the Steelers won a game like this in Week one against the Jets thirty four to thirty two, and now they lost a game like this against the Bengals thirty three thirty one. The Bengals, though sneaky helped the Ravens too, but also Bengals a little bit alive.
Speaker 2: Next lond the game Rams defeating the Jags thirty five to seven. Jacks are done fraud.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't love it, and Trevor hasn't played well this year. There's no way around it.
Speaker 2: I might, Yeah, I was about to say, like what the last year ghost?
Speaker 1: I might It might have to be I might meet Trevor. Might have to be my Sam Darnold for Colin, which is I'll always hold on a little bit and then maybe one day he'll get to a functional frame. Guys like Trevor Lawrence as the Trevor Lawrence is the I'm trying to think of twenty twenty eight quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Like maybe that's something like that could be.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's Jacksonville, Let's do it. Do you think it's Jacksonville?
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a lot? I don't know. They can't figure out how to use Travis Hunter. Try hasn't been good enough. I would love the dance.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of teams are probably struggling to figure out how to use Trevor. I mean, not Trevor Lawrence, Travis Hunter.
Speaker 1: He probably wouldn't have traded away the fifth pick in the future number one to draft him then, I mean they gave up so much to get him. Yes, I'd love to see if Trevor gott on the Niners, you would cook. But he just hasn't been good, There's no way around it.
Speaker 2: Next Patriot, it's defeating the Titans thirty one to thirteen.
Speaker 1: Drake May dealing. Did that ruin your teaser?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It did? Yeah it also Yeah, that job by us there.
Speaker 2: The Titans are just the worst team in the NFL. I mean the Jets. That's by the Jets, but they're pretty close.
Speaker 1: I mean, but the cam Wards just dropping the ball. But listen, Drake May was awesome. Drake May has been awesome this year, no way around it. He's been awesome. And they don't have great weapons. It hasn't mattered.
Speaker 2: Next, Panthers defeat the Jets thirteen to six.
Speaker 1: There's another loss for me. Here's how I knew I was in a bad way. The Jets scored a touchdown to go up ten to three, and I said to Deanna, who was sitting there with me, I was like, oh, that probably just ends the game. And it was the first half. She's like, what do you mean. I was like, I don't think the Jets can score a touchdown. And then when I saw Justin Fields go out, I actually got I was like, oh, now they maybe could score a touchdown with Entyro. I just started throwing picks. Just a disaster.
Speaker 2: Next, Browns defeat the Dolphins thirty one to six.
Speaker 1: That might be a rap, might be a rap on everybody, the coach, the quarterback, the GM. That might be assault the earth and start over situation.
Speaker 2: Next, Yeah, Bears defeat the Saints twenty six to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Caleb didn't play very well. It didn't matter because Rattler was that bad and the running game was that good. Bears on a four game winning streak despite Caleb not playing great. Now the question is, is Caleb gonna, you know, this little blip and he's gonna be better. If that's the case, they're dangerous. If he keeps playing at this level, then they're they're not as good as the record suggests.
Speaker 2: Next, Colts defeat the Chargers thirty eight to twenty four.
Speaker 1: Colts Dolphins has been unbelievable. Chargers Herbert with a ton of yards but a couple backbreaking picks, and the Chargers just the Chargers. You know, remember when the Chargers were gonna take over the division? I do.
Speaker 2: Next, we got the Colton No, no, we got Packers defeeding the Cardinals twenty seven to twenty three.
Speaker 1: Really sharp play by Lafloor fourth and two, two and a half minutes left down three, was gonna kick a field goal, and then I think thought better of it because he realized if I kicked this field goal, my best case scenario is overtime. I'm just gonna I make it. It's high game. I didn't give Cardinals two and a half minutes to drive down, and they were moving the ball really well, went for it, Gutsy picked it up, and then they held Jacoby out of the end zone when, by the way, Jacoby Brissett moved the ball well. Cardinals now lost five in a row, all in kind of different, excruciating fashion. All right.
Speaker 2: Next, actually we got the forty nine Ers defeating the Falcons twenty to ten.
Speaker 1: This was a stone miss by me and Mac was not good in this game, and they won anyway. Shout out to Robert Salad, no Fred Warner, no Nick Bosa, all those injuries and they really shut down a Falcons team. It's a tough loss for Atlanta. All the sharps were on the Niners. I didn't believe in them. I believe the Falcons and the Niners controlled that entire game. All right, let's go to the listener questions.
Speaker 2: Cheese Fans says, everyone blamed Naggy for the poor play calling. Now that they are rolling, and did Andy influence the play calling or did Naggi bring the creativity?
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, I've never been on the like get on Matt Naggy train, And first of all, Andy's in charge. Second of all, it can't just be when it's bad, it's Matt Naggy. When it's good, it's Andy. The offensive line is playing well in the receiver course, hellalthy, that's what's changed.
Speaker 2: Next, Caleb says, thoughts on Mike McDaniels to the Giants to complete the frat guy tro effective of him Darton Scataboo.
Speaker 1: I don't think Darton Scataboo are I don't think Mike McDaniel's their type of guy. I don't think at Mike McDaniel's our frat guy. That's not That's not the vibe I get from him at all.
Speaker 2: Next Ronnie, Ronnie asked, Nick, are you gonna mend your Super Bowl pick? With all the injuries to Tampa? I don't know if they can come over them.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not going to. And I think Tampa. Tampa's giving themselves enough of a cushion and has a soft enough end of season schedule. I still think they can be the one seed and they'll be. I think that it's not a lot of season ending injuries for Tampa. We'll see about Mike Evans, but no, I still think Chiefs Bucks looks great. Reminder everybody if you would like rate, subscribe, review, Uh, so you know when we go live whenever we have a special episode. Our next scheduled episode is Thursday, our game show Friday, and a big thank you and shout out to Demonsday. As always, Blue Duck and Volume and are great sponsors hard Rock, Best hard Rock, Bet, pardon Me, Boost, Mobile Seat Geek, Chad, Powers With and Hulu and of course are great friends at Zen. We will see you guys on Thursday,