Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: Back to throw to a looking clip's about a.
Speaker 3: Wide Dolphin touchdown Tyre cal unfelievable, just blue.
Speaker 1: Fire for a second time. Don't know where he was going right away. I want to hit us out there, man, I'm want to help you. Soone step on your Manwacon.
Speaker 4: Wattle, Wattle to a shot, Gutch back to throw looking at them up fires touchdown.
Speaker 1: It's Waddle his six touchdown paradom of this day.
Speaker 5: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 1: Now let me check your pulse if you're not.
Speaker 4: What is up, golf fans and welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: How's it going everybody?
Speaker 4: I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today show a fun one for you guys. Dolphins running back him stopped by the podcast studio. We're gonna talk to him about the season so far and also his event coming up next Friday at Spare Lanes in Davy for the benefit of the youth down here in South Florida. Also, we'll go ahead and Welcome in Kyle Krabs for five on Finn's draft. At the end of the show, we'll also here from head coach Mike McDaniels, some locker room chatter, and a whole lot more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast. Maggie Daffy, Please.
Speaker 4: Give a warm welcome to my guest today, Dolphins running back Raheem Moster.
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 4: Dolphins? Welcome back into the Draft Time Podcast. Very special guest today, Dolphins running back Raheem Moster. Raheem, first time in here since we signed you. Welcome back into the studio.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you having me. Man, it's a it's an honor.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to have you back in. So how are you feeling?
Speaker 4: What's what's how you feeling for four weeks into the season here kind of getting things.
Speaker 1: Rolling, feeling pretty good. Just got to, you know, get back to that street that we were on. But you know, it starts this week against the Giants and then we'll see what what is like. You know, I asked me the question, you know five or six weeks from now.
Speaker 4: Every single week, right, it's always a new thing every single week. But one thing I always ask you about when we have press conferences and just around the building is like, man, how you feel with the knee second you're off the injury. You talked about that a little bit recently about how you felt just more comfortable, more trust. Thank me. I kind of wanted to get an update on that in terms of how you feel coming off the injury a couple.
Speaker 2: Of years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the knee is wonderful. You know. I try to maintain it as best as I possibly can, you know, stay active in the training room. And I even got it a guy that I go and see off off the premise to give me right, so shout out to Stefan. But it's all good, man. I try to do my best to maintain it and just try to grow and get stronger.
Speaker 2: So you're feeling pretty fast these days?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where you rank on the four by team that we got out there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: For my team, I'm like one, two, three, four. Who's the one that you would say would be give you the biggest challenge?
Speaker 1: You think? Definitely? Yah, yeah, yeah, he'll give me a challenge. But also Vaughn and you know, even even Jadu. We'll see Jayalen Waddel.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean it's a toss up, honestly. Yeah, Yeah, it's fun for us to watch his fans. Man, you guys doing your thing out there, just running a bunch of touchdowns and run a super fast at the five top speeds in the NFL this year. You guys, what do you guys think about that when you see that?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you see that status like mind boggling that we have like, legit, four guys, five guys, I mean, six guys that can compete in that category and to be able to hold all those you know, the top fives. I mean, it's it's just remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Man. One of the things I've been tracking this entire season is, you know, the second year and Mike McDaniel's offense as a head coach. Obviously he's got plenty of experience around the National Football League, but it just seems like you guys came out of the gates this year, clicking. How would you say that second year now that you have four games worth of you know, evidence of it has kind of taken hold this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you see what you know Mike's doing, McDaniel's doing. I mean, he's doing unbelievable things. He's utilizing the speed as best as possible. I mean, I believe that he's he's growing into his own when he's doing everything that he possibly can to be a better play caller, and he's just going out there and having fun and he's putting us in position to have fun and win games. So it is a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned him kind of growing into his own.
Speaker 4: How have you seen him kind of take not I don't want to say ownership of the head coaching position, because he was obviously that last year, but just the growth that you get naturally from a second year in position, obviously that kind of happened for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for a guy like him, you know, coming into a second year. I think that the biggest thing is that he's being able to relax a little bit more on his play calling, but he's also understanding the importance of better play calling during the game and he knows that. You know, he has to be comfortable. I think that's the biggest thing. You know, you have to be subtle, you have to become I mean, it's just like playing when you're on the field, you don't you're gonna get anxious and stuff like that, and and ultimately you don't want to mess up or uh we call it screw the pooch, you know. But at the end of the day, it's all about just going out there and competing and having fun. And he wants to be the best play caller to ever do it. So who's like, who's anybody to you know, knock that. At least for us, We're gonna go out there and we're trying to help him be the best play caller by you know, maximizing those plays as we best possibly can.
Speaker 4: It's cool to get your perspective because you've been with him for so long now, but it's only your second year here. But correct me if I'm wrong here, But you're kind of one of the old heads in the locker room at this point.
Speaker 2: I'm a pretty young football team.
Speaker 4: How have you kind of taken hold of that ownership role that you are not ownership leadership role that you possess on this team obviously?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean guys come up to me and they have a whole bunch of questions. You know, I have a lot of experience I'm going into year nine. Well I can't say I'm going into you and I'm in there now. But honestly, the guys come up and then if they have questions, I'm an answer. Like you know, they have off the field questions, and you know, how to be a father or how to you know, be a husband? And what do you do during your spare time? You know, how do you relax? How do you decompress from a game? I just try to give all my keys and tibis as you know, best as possible, so that way, you know, the next next guy can get answer those same questions when somebody else is asking them when they get older, on the older guy on the team.
Speaker 4: So so from our perspective, is content people, fans, all of that stuff. It seems like you guys have so much fun together as a team. Where do you think that comes from? Like why do you think this team is just gelling so well together in terms of how they all get along?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about like what guys are doing on the field together, right, we're all battling, you know, we're all competing against other teams. We're we're putting our next on the line to to be a better version for the next man, you know, and all that stuff. But I think it's more important that the guys utilize off the field, you know, going to dinners together. I know that, me and Justin Bethel and a bunch of other guys, we've taken our kids to countless events, whether it be Monster Jam you know, we did. We even did Disney on Ice a couple of weeks ago, when we thought that was pretty cool. I mean, I didn't think I would be a fan of Disney on Ice just because it's like, but honestly, it was like the coolest thing ever was Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was there?
Speaker 4: My daughter is huge into she wore the Marabelle dress. Oh yeah, she was saying all.
Speaker 1: The princesses yes on ice and stuff like that. Man, it was honestly, it was a great time. So, I mean, my boys loved it and they were they were calling out the cars and all that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got made it running around and it was pretty cool. So just trying to utilize those opportunities, you know, off the field, to to have a better connection with the guys, you know, who you're battling with, I think that that's the most important thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We love seeing you guys celebrate to go on team as a group celebrations. But I still contend that the surf right in the wave is the best celebration, not just in the Miami Dolphins, but in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm a West Coast guy and I love the beach.
Speaker 4: But I'm I gotta ask you the new New Sumurta beach right Yeah, where the heck are the waves down here?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I can't ever found a wave on the Atlantic Ocean yet.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you gotta go down. You gotta go to New Smurny Beach and check them out. We have a we have a we call it a jetty. It's uh inlet. Basically, it's a strip of rocks that you know can create waves a little bit better than you know most areas. I know that Cocoa Beach is also a good place to surf. That's where Kelly Slaters from Kelly Slater shout out of Kelly Slater, that's my that's my guy right there. He's a really good friend of mine. So he's invited me to come surf with him over in his hometown. And they also produced some good waves.
Speaker 4: So the real reason we have you in here is talk about your foundation today. You know, surfing, you're a little bit of a golfer as well, but also some more non football sports bowling. Right, are you a pretty good buler?
Speaker 1: I'm fairly pretty good with my average. It's about like a one fifty. Pretty yeah, one fifty. I was. I was close to like one nineties, but then I broke my arm. Sure, so I lost a little bit of touch on that. But yeah, all good.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about the event, and you're coming up here. So it's gonna be next Friday, Spars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spars, Lane and Davy, and it's going to be started at six o'clock. And it's My foundation is Waves of Success Foundation. You know, I created it to give the opportunity to under underprivileged kids, uh, to be able to have resources and connections and you know, just to have a good time. I mean, because there's a lot of kids that don't necessarily have the means or funds to to you know, do what they want to do to be successful. And that's why I created you know, Waves of Success. There's many different ways to be successful. And so the bowling event, you know, where I think we're gonna host about one hundred kids. Yeah, and the whole, the whole bowling allies are going to be reserved. And you know, I'm invite some teammates. I know, Christian Wilkins, he came last year, Alec came, a whole bunch of guys came and support. So I'm I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a lot more you know, guys on the team that gonna want to go. But it's just it's just a way to have, you know, a good connection with the kids, to stay involved, to give them opportunity. I even give out backpacks and stuff like that, you know, supplies and everything for them, and they just they love it. I Mean they come out and they see who's there and next thing, you know, it just puts a smile on their face and they get pizza, and you know, it's just a night to have have fun and connect with you know, with celebrities, with stars and great minded people.
Speaker 4: So what was your inspiration behind creating the foundation and this invent in particular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the inspiration came behind you know, me growing up, I didn't have the you know, I was one of those kids that didn't have the necessary means and so for me, I wanted to change the narrative. I wanted to go ahead and use my platform for the better good and help create a foundation that you know, epitomized what I went through when I was younger. You know, I didn't have a role model to look after, I look up to. I didn't have the means. I mean, I had to earn a full rise scholarship to go to Purdue University, and I'm blessed that I was able to do that. But I also utilized it too. You know, I got a business management degree. So a lot of things came out of you know, just me working hard. But there's a lot of kids out there that don't, you know, have those role models to push them to that next level. And so I wanted to be able to be that advocate for those kids to say, hey, look, you know, you're not alone. You could be whoever you want to be, whatever you want to do. You don't have to be a professional athlete, you don't have to be a celebrity. You could still be a prominent lawyer, you know, you could be a podcast guy who's doing great things like yourself. You know. So I mean it's just it's just going out there and doing what you love to do and just putting your all into it. I think that that's the most important, you know message going going along with that.
Speaker 4: This is your second you're doing it here obvious since your second your team, right, So did it come over from the Bay Area or did you This.
Speaker 1: Is the first time. It was the first time I brought it last year. I was like, hey, I want to I want to start doing some more things. You know, I'm going to tap into my roosts. I'm a Florida guy, born and raised here, So what better way than to come back home and actually start my foundation the way I want it, you know, in my home state, on home soil, and just go out there and just have fun, you know, just give up, like I said, give a whole bunch of opportunities.
Speaker 4: You know, my guy in the post game show or to MCDUFFI, you know, yeh was right. You know, he's kind of blowing event at spars as well. I'm not sure what time of year it is. I did a couple of years ago. I'll tell you that story. We get off there.
Speaker 2: He's kind of funny, but do you think he is he coming out to you?
Speaker 1: He went last year. Okay, yeah, yeah, I appreciate him for coming last year. I think he's coming this year again, so I'm I'm banking on him coming because he's He's man, that's my guy. He's like best, He's the best. OJ is the best man. He comes with a lot of energy and he really competes to try to beat the kids. Hey, you gotta take it easy, man, they're kids too. He's like, I want to win. I'm like, I know you want to win. We all want to win, trust me.
Speaker 4: So we could just see that passion in the radio station too. He's always very fired up when we win games. So he's he's very into everything he does there. Well, last time was the.
Speaker 1: Date of the event, October thirteenth, Okay, at six o'clock at Spars Lanes and d be there. Thanks for appreciate, I appreciate you, man, Thank you.
Speaker 4: And away he goes. One of my favorite people in the entire building. Raheem Moster. We're gonna take our first break right there and come back on the other side and talk about a player the Dolphins just acquired. In the wide receiver room, we'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel do the Friday d Tour and welcome in Kyle Krabs for his Finns Draft in five. All of that coming up on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by I Don't Nation. Some news on a Friday mornings. The Dolphins have acquired wide receiver Chase Claypool from the Chicago Bears. It's a late round pick swap and it's from the twenty twenty five NFL Draft, so you won't even see the fruit of this labor for the draft picks, I should say, until two drafts from now. The Dolphins send their twenty five sixth round draft pick to the Chicago Bears for their twenty five seventh round draft pick, and you know, top back end of the sixth round, top part of the seventh round. This could be a pretty close picks together, well, with compicks in between, but you get what I'm saying here, and look, it's a flyer on a player that didn't work out for the Chicago Bears. They sent the thirty second pick in the traft for Claypool last year to the Steelers and it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 4: He got just four balls this year for fifty one yards and has been inactive for the last couple of weeks after a reporter asked him at his locker if the Bears are correctly utilizing his skills and he said no, and that essentially put him on the an active list, And there's been concerns about the effort in terms of how hard he plays for the Bears. And hopefully this second chance here, I guess, third chancer, maybe last chance for Claypool in Miami could potentially spark a fire underneath him. He comes into a receiver room that has guys that will not stand for less than the standard with Wes Welker, tyreek Hill, Jalen Waddle. You also currently are down River Craycraft, who's going to miss at least three more games, and Eric Azukama on the NFI list. Who knows when he could potentially be available again. McDaniel mentioned he doesn't believe it's season ending, but they do not know yet on that injury for Azukama.
Speaker 2: So you were a little bit.
Speaker 4: Thin at receiver compared to what you came into the year with, and now you add a body type who is like something the Dolphins just don't have on the roster six foot four, two hundred and thirty five pounds. He ran a four to four to two back at the combine when he came out very athletically gifted, very talented player who showed you that talent from the jump.
Speaker 2: In Pittsburgh. I remember that first year.
Speaker 4: During the pandemic season, when it was like, all right, Pittsburgh did it again. They found another non first round wide receiver who is very, very good as he caught sixty two for eight seventy three and nine touchdowns that year.
Speaker 2: And I think about that production down on the red zone.
Speaker 4: Maybe, you know, it's tough to pick up this offense for anybody, but coming in for you know, mid season could be a bit of a challenge. But what if you have something where in the red zone you have a big body blocker and a guy that can you know, when you have Tyreek and Jalen on the field, who you're gonna double cover.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be Claypool.
Speaker 4: Maybe he goes out and catches some high points and score some touchdowns down in the red zone where the Dolphins offense. If there's been one thing they've struggled with this season, and I wouldn't even call it a struggle, but compare to how the rest of the offense operates, it's probably in the low red zone and so adding a big body receiver. We saw a fade to Tyreek in the Charger game that was awesome, a game winner. But we saw a back shoulder fade last week against Buffalo to Tyreek again or no, was that Denver? It was a Denver game right now, I'm forgetting. I think it was Buffalo. The two point conversion that we just didn't convert on. Maybe you throw fades to Claypool now. So I think there's options for potential specific roles for him, and then if he winds up clicking and figuring it out, then all of a sudden, you have a pretty good number three to go along with your two speed demons in Tyreek and Jalen Waddle. But second round draft pick in twenty twenty nine touchdowns that rookie season, followed that up with a really good twenty twenty one season fifty nine for eight to sixty.
Speaker 2: Albeit just two touchdowns.
Speaker 4: But then when he was sent to the Bears mid season last year, it just didn't click. Now, he did play against US and back to back games for Pittsburgh and Chicago, and he I think he lost.
Speaker 2: Someone in the Pittsburgh game. I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was the Chicago now I can't remember, but anyway, maybe he showed showed well in those games with the Dolphins. It's like, hey, that guy's got some skills there. Just got again four balls for fifty one this year and acted the last couple of weeks. And coming out of college, he was billed as an above the rim type of talent we'll hear from Kyle Krabs here in a minute on his scouting report coming out of college. But his ability to win vertically at the catch point made him that explosive option, especially that kind of big body slot receiver.
Speaker 2: Plays a lot inside.
Speaker 4: And then again if he can put it all together and get the effort there, the blocking ability I think will go a long way for this football team. So the talent is immense, the compensation is not. We'll find out what happens there with Chase Claypool. Let's go ahead and take our Friday dtour now as we look at a certain topic that I have deemed interesting for the football team, and this week I'm looking at, is there such a good thing as a good loss, and I don't think there is. But I think back to the two thousand and nine Colts team that started off the year fourteen and zero, and the discourse as they were on that march into victories into the team revolved around if they needed to experience a loss before making their playoff run, which ended in the Super Bowl. Right, and then they lost with the Saints in that game, but before that, they lost their final two regular season games. Now the biggest caveat in the history of the world is attached to that with a resting Peyton manning in those two games caveat. And then fast forward to last year and the Eagles were cruising right along and maybe some of the seventy two Dolphins were getting a little bit anxious about how good that Eagles team was before a Week ten loss to a Commander's team that was sub five hundred coming into that game. Philly would go on to win their next five games before losing two games, and like the Colts, without their starting quarterback for a fourteen to three campaign that eventually wound up in the Super Bowl, also with a loss. But those comparisons are hardly apples to apples. The Dolphins were three to oh before their first defeat of the season, far from fourteen and oh, far from eight to zero. But I found in an interesting stat that eight teams who had scored sixty plus points in the modern era, in the Super Bowl era, came out the following week a little bit flat. Just one of those eight teams won their game, and only two of the eight had covered their spread in the following week. So there's some discourse out there from guys who have played in the league and talking about the difficulty of honing in on corrections when you play a game that was as clean as it possibly can be. Really, in the Denver game, they say, you win or you learn this league right. Tyreek Hill on his It Needs to Be Said podcast said that he feels the loss brought the team closer together. And while we can't use any evidence for how they respond to adversity in the twenty twenty three season until we get an opportunity to do that, we know how much adversity of this team faced last year, and we can at least explore what some of the guys think about the team's ability to respond. This week in preparation for the bounce back opportunity against the Giants. Let's go ahead and start here with Elfins wide receiver Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 7: You know what, man, guy's been attacking it. Man, guys been you know, working hard, competing against each other, and it's been fun. You know, nobody's panic. Ain't nobody's doing nothing crazy, you know, nothing different.
Speaker 4: So and then he also made a nice little reference there towards my one of my favorite all time shows, Workaholics, although maybe it wasn't a reference towards that, just Tyreek being Tyreek? How about his quarterback to a tongue of Baila asked him the same question. Here's his response to how guys have responded this week after the first loss of the season.
Speaker 3: I think guys are approaching it the same way this week. I don't think anyone's pushing pushing any harder to do more or to do do anything out of the ordinary. Guys are coming into work and they're working and working on their craft. But I would say for us, there's a lot of things that are going on that we you know, we in order for us to be able to play together, we all got to know our own assignments. And so it's about knowing our assignments and being able to trust the guy behind us and trusting that they're going to know and understand where to be and what to do.
Speaker 4: So and one more player before we hear from head coach Mike McDaniel. I asked fullback alec Ingold, one more captain here before here from the headman himself, here is alec Ingold on the week of work for the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 6: I think it's a great opportunity to show up on a Week five game. There's gonna be a little saltiness around going around, but the way that guys are able to trust each other, come together, go to work after a loss, a tough loss and embarrassing loss like that, and be able to move forward is really important for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: It's a long season.
Speaker 6: You're three and one at the quarter and you're able to use a tough loss like that and see how guys respond to it. So I think it's a great opportunity for everyone in the room to kind of get to know the guy next to him a little bit more and get in the foxhole a little bit.
Speaker 4: I actually don't have sound here from head coach Mike McDaniel on that exact topic. Chase Claypool trade kind of took over the press conference on Friday, So let's go ahead and go to coach here and here are a couple of soundbites as he discusses the idea of the Chase Claypool trade and the skill set that he offers. We'll go ahead and start here with the idea behind the trade, but first a couple of injury updates. Tron Armstead it has head to injury reserve, which means he will miss at least the next four games. That means Giants, Panthers, Eagles, and Patriots could be eligible to come back for the Chiefs game. But of course we have the buye after that as well, so you could get some mixent edrest there for the big fellow. But Coach said that the four week timeline, although they don't want to put exact timelines on guys, he feels that's pretty close to where Tron's projected to make his return back to the lineup. Hey, get t Ran back for the last half of the season, I would call that good.
Speaker 2: We know it's typically a ten to twelve game year for him.
Speaker 4: It has been that way for a long time in his career. But if we can make that the last part of the year and potentially the playoffs, that would be fan fantastic. Also, we'll see about Connor Williams and Jalen Phillips. Again, you guys can get the injury report from my Twitter timeline at Wingfield NFL. I'll have it posted the minute it comes available to us here in the building in I almost said Davey Miami Gardens. Let's go ahead and go back to head coach Mike McDaniel's press conference though, as he discusses Chase Claypool and the idea behind the trade. Really good stuff here from coach. Coach's answer was awesome, as it were.
Speaker 5: That's an exciting opportunity. I think it the you know, it's kind of like Christmas in terms of I don't know anything. So when Chris comes to me about something that we that it has on on the docket, you know, we we have good discussions, and you know, for us, it felt like a situation where, uh, you know, there might be a role to carve out for him. And then you know, I think important for the player. You know, you have a guy that.
Speaker 1: Wants to.
Speaker 5: Take things into his own hands and you know, have an opportunity to be on on a team. So to me, beyond that, it was an opportunity to take advantage of it. We definitely weren't looking for receiver help. It wasn't in that nature at all. Very very happy with our receiving core. But you know, I think one thing that Chris and I have always agreed upon how we operate and and do business is you have to you have to stay steadfast to the commitment of of making your team as good as it can be. So you know, sometimes things come you're across your radar that you weren't even looking for. But when you assess it, if it falls under the the category of you know, this has chance to make us better, then you you jump on that, you know, and that's and that's been the case. There's been several instances now we're starting to accumulate where you know, things things just you know, when the opportunity presents itsel if you jump on it. The really happy about practice today, and I don't think he'll be there. But beyond that, you know, it's just business as usual, trying to get better one press conference at a time, and.
Speaker 4: Then on the skill set that Chase Claypool offers aside from the size at six foot four.
Speaker 2: And eight pounds.
Speaker 5: Yes, you guys want me say it, don't you he's fast. That's cool, But really, no, you have a player you're very open minded to, you know, the unique attributes of a guy that comes into the league, and generally you you don't see that often receivers gain a reputation through special teams and then develop in you know, as receivers just a multitude of ways that he's contributed. You know, I think this team, we have a lot of players that are moving in the in the right and same direction, and there's guys that you know, really across the board. I wouldn't say one player is satisfied with their role. Everybody wants more of the pie in one way, shape or form, whatever that looks like for them. But we have a team that really respects, uh, you know, each other, and respects and really has love for for each other. So you're you're competing with people, not against them. So I think that's a good good situation for any player to come into. And you know that like every player that's that comes here, they get the opportunity to earn their place within the locker room that will be very important for him and kind of dictate the terms on what that looks like, but not really getting over the top and envisioning this, that or the other. More that we have an opportunity to upgrade our team a talented guy that's not easily accessible all the time, and now we'll be up to him to see what that looks like. And one thing I do know is he'll get the support from his teammates. The locker room here is pretty pretty cool and you know loves really our locker room loves people that help us win.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and take our last break right there on the podcast and come back on the other side of Welcome and Kyle Krabs, who discussed not just this weekend ahead in college football, but gave us some supplementary commentary on Chase Claypool. That's next Draft Time podcast. Your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation and joining us as he does every Friday, for a look ahead into the weekend in college football. Is the great Kyle Krabs, Locked on Dolphins, Locked on NFL Scouting. Kyle, you are now a family of four, My friend, how's the sleep schedule going.
Speaker 2: How you feeling, man, Well, yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 8: It's always nice to operate on zero sleep and test your mental fortitude. We did have a good night of sleep last night, but obviously excited to bring in a Dolphins fan into the world and hopefully the get get back into the win calm this weekend for the first win of his career as a Dolphins fan.
Speaker 4: I think we had this discussion last year when Cam was born before the Charger game. We lost that game, and you mentioned your daughter being born before a game that we lost, like.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs game in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: What the heck's going on with us?
Speaker 4: And every time we have a bring a new child into the world, we lose.
Speaker 2: The next game. Like, so you guys know who to blame for Sunday.
Speaker 1: My apologies. It was my fault.
Speaker 4: Allan Travis causing Dolphins' losses over the last three years. Anyway, congratulations man, I'm happy for you and instance. Let's go ahead and talk some college football here, and we've been doing these previews of the upcoming weekend. Let's go ahead and go back here first, real quick and look back at the first five weeks of the college football season. Who has impressed you in a way that would potentially be a player who might fit the Dolphins offense or defense. Just a guy that you think could be of interest in several months down the road when the Dolphins come up on the draft in April and twenty twenty four.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a name that pops to me was somebody who probably could have came out last year with the first round, but they suffered an injury at the end of last season, and it's Arizona offensive tackle Jordan Morgan. I really like the blend of athleticism and pass set ability and length that he has. A very all encompassing player that feels like he's going to project favorably to any system. Some teams might end up favoring him inside at guard, but you think about what the Dolphins offense really likes to do up front, and you've heard Butch Berry and the players talk about the aggressiveness off the ball and firing out of your stance and being assertive and having good athleticism for you to really dictate terms up front. And I see that with Jordan Morgan, and he's bounced back really well from that season ending injury last year. So that's a name that I definitely have circled as somebody who will see what the Dolphins ultimately end up doing with some of the personnel decisions with contracts and stuff like that. But he's somebody at least right now if you're keeping all options open for all different pathways for what this offseason could look like.
Speaker 2: Is a name that I think could be a really good fit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, That's why you always scout every single position, right, even when you have, like a franchise quarterback, you still want to be aware of which quarterbacks are out there and available because you never know, four years down the road, you might wind up getting a crack at that player, just like someone we're going to talk about at.
Speaker 2: The end of this interview.
Speaker 4: Kyle, And just for the second well done track well teaser, there a little five minute episode teaser. Let's stay in college football real quick. Two big games this weekend on the schedule. You said there was about four year interested in. I'm arrested in two of these outside of the undefeated Washington Date, Cougar's Go So Cooks, the Red River Rivalry, and Kentucky Georgia games to me seem like meccas of football scouting.
Speaker 8: What say you, Yeah, I think there's two players on the Texas Longhorn side of this game that I really like. Jalen Ford at linebacker, big time impact playmaker over the course of the last few years for Texas, gets his hands on a lot of footballs. Just the instincts are really evident there. And then tight end Jatavian Sanders from Texas too, is a really really versatile athletic player. And I'd heard the name, heard the name, heard the name of about two weeks ago. I actually did the deep dive in like, watched him specifically, and I was really impressed. So I think there's for Texas's standpoint, obviously the third ranked team in the country coming into this matchup against Oklahoma. I think they got a couple players that are very high ceiling players at the next level, and I'm really dialed into what both of those guys are going to bring.
Speaker 1: To the table.
Speaker 2: So those are the big games on the landscape.
Speaker 4: I was wondering, if you're gonna say brock Bauers just real quick, is there any chance that brock Bauers is going to be outside the top ten of the DRAFTI share you think.
Speaker 8: It's weird I would say no from a talent standpoint, But then also there's this whole positional value roadblock that teams have, where if you would have told me, as an example, that Kyle Hamilton is safety out of Notre Dame from a few years ago, I thought he was the best player in the draft, and he fell to fifteen sixteen for Baltimore, who ultimately broke his fall. So sometimes those positions like safety, like tight end, sometimes intier offensive lineman, even if they're that stratosphere of like how good of a player they are, they can get outside the top ten, top twelve just because of that roadblock of well, there's a finite scale of what this pick in the draft is going to comand for the rookie Wade scale based on the collective bargaining your agreement, and some of those guys come in and like they're top five at they're positioning contracts off of pay. That's mostly relevant. I would guess it would be tight end as one and running back as the other. With what Saquon Barkley and b Jhon Robinson have come in at running back, with their the economics of their contracts as top eight picks.
Speaker 2: It's interesting I mean, like TJ.
Speaker 4: Hawkins in the last I guess Kyle Pitts as well, but he's a little bit more of a receiver in a tight ends body.
Speaker 2: But TJ.
Speaker 4: Hawkinson one of those guys that was kind of in that frame as well. So it's really interesting. I'm like this, The positional value always kind of intrigues me that way. Like you mentioned there real quick, Kyle, an off the radar game that maybe you're looking at for some potential dolphin scout in this weekend would be, you.
Speaker 8: Know what, maybe through a little bit of a different lens, but I think everybody probably recognizes the name Toungovaloa and Talia is playing at Ohio State this weekend, and Maryland's looked really good thus far this season, and I'm really excited to see a test against an Ohio State program that quite frankly hasn't put up a lot of points. And Maryland's thirty eight, thirty eight, forty two against Virginia, thirty one at Michigan State, they put up forty four last week against Indiana. They're scoring points, and Tally is like right out in front of it as far as what contributions he's bringing to the table. So I know they got some really good skill players there with the program as well at Maryland. So that's kind of the off the radar scouting game that I'm watching because Ohio State's got a ton of defensive talents and prospects that are eligible for twenty twenty four versus this Maryland offense that has put up a lot of points, and they get a great test. I mean, this is realistically the greatest test on the schedule because while Maryland still plays Penn State and Michigan later in the year, they get both of those teams at home.
Speaker 2: So this is the big test.
Speaker 8: In my mind for the Maryland offense for this upcoming season.
Speaker 4: The Tongue Bilo apparents might have a little bit of whiplash this season watching the football go up and down the field on Saturdays and Sundays, watching both third kids spin it in very impressive fashion. Good call, and now I'm looking forward to that game myself, Kyle. Before I let you out of here, some trade news on a Friday. Not very often you get that end season here, Dolphins acquire wide receiver Chase Claypool, formerly of the Bears and Steelers. Now I understand you had a scouting report on him he pulled up from when he was coming out back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: What you got for us on that? Yeah, so this is a Drive Time exclusive.
Speaker 8: I'm not even gonna put this on any of my own stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna leave this here.
Speaker 8: I thought where he was best was utilizing his size and functional athleticism as a player who kind of what Pittsburgh did with him early in his career. They manufactured some touches for him, but his blocking skills coming out a Notre dame. This is what I had written down about. His blocking skills be a huge asset here. He's a monster against boundary corners and second level defenders the imposes as well in opposing players. He's taken several defenders completely off the screen and whitewashed run support from the outside in hand strength, length, and urgency. Mary Well here for an effective blocker. So he's somebody who could play inside. You can line them up outside and have them run vertical routes down the field. I thought you should. He showcased good vertical ball skills. There's some overlap with some of the guys that the Dolphins have when you think about Eric Azukama and what his skill set was at Tech Tech, You think about Robbie Chosen and his vertical plane. This is just a big physical player at six foot four, two hundred and thirty pounds coming out of Notre Dame when he came through the draft process that does some of those same things. So I think there's some obvious overlap. And for him this is now his third team and eager to see if this Dolphins coaching staff and locker room can really galvanize him and get him back to what the expectations were when he first came in new league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the talent's there, and he joins a receiver room like you mentioned that has a bunch of alpha personalities who probably are not going to accept anything less than your best and your your best effort in terms of how much you put into it. So he lands in a good spot there with Wes Welker, Tyreek Hill, and Jalen Waddle and like you mentioned, replacing potentially some injured receivers of Dolphins have had some attrition at that position this season. Kyle Krabs locked on Dolphins, Locked on NFL Scouting. Thanks again, my friend, you're the.
Speaker 2: Best, Thanks travs and away he goes.
Speaker 4: One more time for you guys. Injury report on my Twitter timeline. This podcast out to you all fast. You can hear Raheem's a great interview with me and go check out Spares on Friday and Davy to be part of his event. All Right, Draft Time podcast. That's going to be it for your boy. We'll come back and do Sunday's game recap and then do it all over again next week, and then about forty five more times the rest of the season. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate, review all that fun stuff. Follow me on social at winkfle NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities and Dolphins Today, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Finza, Caroline
Speaker 2: Camera and Daddy just come over.