Speaker 1: Kids. That's okay because no one here.
Speaker 2: Is Hello, and welcome to another episode of Team Beat, the weekly podcast that revives our awkward teenage years the same way doctor John Hammond resurrected dinosaurs for a theme park and with similar results. And this week I'm recording a special episode live from Las Vegas for WrestleMania forty two weekend, an epicenter for headlocks and r KOs, but more than anything else, a place where we can all feel like kids again. So where better to sit with an interesting person who does interesting things to talk about their upbringing, tapping into the glorious and awkward journey of being a teenager years that were chronicled for me in front of a live studio audience, then on DVD, now on a worldwide streaming service. I look at it this way. I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. And this week I'm excited to chat with someone whose childhood may have existed outside the spotlight, but the glow around him was bright enough to light a thousand caves. He burst onto the scene in twenty fifteen, starring in the NWA biopicks Straight out of Compton, portraying ice Cube, a role he intensely studied for twenty four years, not only working to mimic the subject's likeness and mannerisms, but he even went as far as living with him for at least eighteen years to perfect everything about him. He then showed his range in the underrated twenty seventeen dark comedy Ingrid Grows West opposite Aubrey Plaza and if you ask me, he was a scene stealing highlight, and it appears many industry heavyweights agreed because he would go on to share the screen with Charlie's Theron and Seth Rogan in Long Shot, then Michael B. Jordan and Brie Larsen and Just Mercy, all while starring in the Den of Thieves franchise as an action star alongside Gerard Butler. But you'll see him next in the comedy Idiots with Dave Franco and Killer Mike. And where you'll see him most is at WWE Live events, turning his fandom into a job with the podcast No Contest Wrestling, becoming one of sports entertainment's go to and most opinionated experts.
Speaker 1: Don't believe me check his Twitter.
Speaker 2: Also, his dad is ice Cube Welcome to teen Beat my favorite mark Osha Jackson Junior.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's nice to put together all of your accomplishments in one place and then hear someone read them out loud. Right, you're dope. I think that's what happens.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining me today on this glorious holiday of WrestleMania weekend. I know it is a very busy time for you. How has it been so far?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Awesome and busy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had I've had a really good time. But like whenever I get really busy, I just think like I could be doing nothing and that drives me crazy.
Speaker 1: Same, it's like the worst.
Speaker 3: Even when I film, all I can think about is getting home. And then after those first two weeks, I'm like, yeah, what am I doing with my life? Everything's going to go to hell. The bank account's getting low, my daughter's going to starve.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: You go from zero to one hundred real fast, like something.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to relax anymore. It's like if I do have a day off, I try I find that I just make myself busy. Work, Like, oh, you know what I should do because I have a free afternoon, clean out the closet. It's like, well, now I didn't even have any downtime, but so I do get that. I want to talk to you about how and when a young Osha Jackson Junior discovered pro wrestling.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I had my big brother Daryl. My big brother Daryl, me and him would play video games together and we played a game called WWF Raw Sega Genesis and this game taught me like Raizor Ramon, Shawn Michael's Bamman, Bigelow, Doink the Clown, and that really was my first introduction.
Speaker 1: Taker.
Speaker 3: That was my first introduction. And then he was like, you know we can watch these people. I was like, what are you talk Yeah, like what the video game is real?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then yeah, we watched Raw and I was like this is crazy, Like you know, this is nuts.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Later on I was probably like five. I'm not controlling the TV at that time, so maybe about third grade, so like ninety nine two thousand is when I started watching you know, weekly and I got lot Dan and you know, I fell in love with the rock and just like that whole era, like when when Shane and Stephanie bought w CW and ECW, this was the.
Speaker 1: Biggest news of my life.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was like and then stone cold like crosses over to them.
Speaker 1: I was like, wwf is gonna lose? Like everything I know is just terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, those were the stressful times, greatest soap op Rocket asked for as a kid.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. It's so funny that you also got into it from video games. That's actually how my kids got into it. I was I was delaying putting it on the TV, and then we got WWE two K twenty five and they started playing the video games and it was very similar. It was like, you know, these are real people, It's like what and then they just got very into it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your first live event?
Speaker 3: Oh, first live of it had to be m probably a random raw smack down. You know, couldn't tell you like what happened, but like, I just remember I remember going to Staple Center one year and not knowing because I'm a kid, I'm not knowing the difference between a live show and ron SmackDown, and I remember going and being like there's no Titan tronk, Like there's no Pyro, there's no like, what is this? And like I remember Kane having a match, but I remember like taking friends and being like, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't know what this is embarrassing, I'm not the same thing that I went to.
Speaker 3: And of course later on I got that, but I think the one of the biggest moments because as a kid, no, no, I'm probably not the type of kids who should think this way, but I'm a kid, so I think this way. But I never thought I'd go to WrestleMania. It was just like it was always on TV. It was just like, you know, like, man, I wish I could go one day and WrestleMania twenty one sad Staple Center, So I know I'm going And it was the best. It was the best ever, and like it to this day. I can't believe I went. And then I was like, I have to try to go to as many as I can, and the next one I would go to would be thirty two. But had some time and yeah, I've gone to I think five in a row.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh my gosh, the.
Speaker 1: Streak is in danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just talking about them.
Speaker 3: Maybe I was back in Vegas no reason when I found I was coming to Vegas again. I was like, oh no, like not like I survived the first one.
Speaker 1: You know, like, so the it's been good. It's because now I got work exactly, is.
Speaker 2: Getting replenished and instead of going one direction, it's at least going both ways now exactly.
Speaker 3: And my little brother and my little sister, who I love to death, they were too WrestleMania out after last.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I was like, go ahead, yeah, take it off. Who cares? Yeah, it's been pretty good.
Speaker 2: Who were your favorite wrestlers when you were a kid?
Speaker 3: Loved Rock, Always loved Taker. Taker was really my first favorite because my brother always made me play as him in the game, like we're going to beat people, Love you have to be Taker because like Taker's the he's the big bass, Like it's hard to take him down.
Speaker 1: So give the little brother that one.
Speaker 3: So I always loved Taker, And then, you know, just the older I got watching the Rock.
Speaker 1: On the mic, I was like, oh, this is my guy.
Speaker 3: And I was a very shy kid growing up, and The Rock kind of helped me find my voice because no one could back him into a corner.
Speaker 1: He's quick as a whip and he's always going to get.
Speaker 3: The upper hand in a conversation, and I love that he was funny but still tough, and I never thought he'd lose, Like, you know, it took a lot of l's and you know, I know the business now, but I never thought he'd lose because of the confidence that was just like oozing out of him. And that has always been my guy.
Speaker 1: I really like Roman. Oh you know, I'm a big hunk Phil. Phil. Phil was my first guest. That's my bullet.
Speaker 2: Okay, Phil is my god.
Speaker 1: And so I'm so angry at both of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, they were putting you in this situation. It's like personal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was different last year because it was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, who care? But now it's like, you know, it is tough for our family because Phil is very important to our family, and my youngest son is a huge Roman Reigns fan. Has has the buddy. Yeah we we we took him to Survivor series and my four year old stood up on it chair and held his little wrestling buddy over his head while singing the song. So yeah, you know, house divided.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's rough.
Speaker 2: When you start watching wrestling, your brothers are watching wrestling.
Speaker 1: What did your dad think of it all.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's always a moment when parents have to ask why you're watching this fake stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, somebody in my dad's childhood ruined it for him. Yeah, And so like he never came back and like stuck with it. And when it comes to that conversation, I'm like, I also know that, like Jeff Goldblum didn't run from a t rex exactly, you know, like Robert Downey Jr.
Speaker 1: Didn't send a nuke into space. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I still enjoy The Avengers. It's Broadway with violence. I sit and I watched storylines play out with characters that I like and now with so much behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Actually like the people. I'm actually rooting for them.
Speaker 3: And so then I'm watching hoping that the company will see what I see and give them their shot. And it's just like it's a great way to exercise your empathy because you start caring for people that you ain't got nothing to do with you, and when they lose, it really hurts, and when they win, it really feels good. And so you know, when we started to figure out like, oh, what we're seeing is a bit of an illusion. It's a bit of Harlem Globe Trotters. That's when you know, you start to question.
Speaker 1: What you're look at.
Speaker 3: But then I'm like, I'm entertained totally, and I started to like the punches and kicks which might connect every now and then. That's what you really got to try to movie magic and some holes.
Speaker 1: Other than that, they're really falling from that.
Speaker 3: They really got to jump off that, they really got to get hit with this. And I've seen their bodies afterwards, and it's just like, dude, I know what I'm looking at, and it's it's broad Away with vines, the best play I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have never met a wrestler who's been like, no, I've never had any injuries.
Speaker 1: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I'm totally fine. My body works great.
Speaker 1: Thanks for asking exactly. We actually grew.
Speaker 2: Up very close to each other, I think a couple decades apart. But I am a Calabasas high school graduate and you went to taff Tea house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a f T.
Speaker 2: First, I'd like to get regional for a second. Are you a fan of Dan super Subs?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, I don't know these people have they spoke about me? Okay?
Speaker 2: Goodness, Dan Subs the best sandwiches made.
Speaker 3: They'll listen. In my fatherhood, a sandwich will save your life.
Speaker 2: I know. So I need to know what good Okay, I will tell you. You have to go to dance super sucks. What are some of your favorite local eateies?
Speaker 1: Obviously in and out? Okay, yeah, come on out, like ridiculous. My dad puts us on round table pizza.
Speaker 2: For like ever love round table pizza. There's something about that burnt edge.
Speaker 1: It is so good. So let's chill out. Yeah okay, so are you hungry? I'm starving so.
Speaker 3: Because I just went on on camera and you never eat before.
Speaker 1: Camera, No, I know you, So we'll eat after absolutely, but yeah, round table pizza fire. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just because I grew up in the valley, I hop with such a mainstaple. But like I've been to the South, a waffle house is killing.
Speaker 2: I hop kills I hop. I just went to an waffle house, one of my favorite places in the world. And so I was just in Texas for a show and I was there like twenty four hours, and I made sure I stopped at a waffle house and got some cheesey eggs and grits.
Speaker 3: Yes, the cheesy eggs is some of the raisins plastic cheese.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that plastic cheese. And there's something about that sweet raisin bread mixed with the savory cheesy, and I.
Speaker 1: Need the guy cooking it to have a cigarette falling out of his mouth. These are the rules that I was taught by the Southerners and my family.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, with that out of the way, what was high school like for you?
Speaker 3: High school was, oh, okay, so let me break this down. So my parents, at a random time in my life, decided they wanted to declare war on LAUSD. Yeah, Los Angeles Unified School District. And I was like okay, and they I was a great, great student, great student, always got good grades, always made sure I did my work, even was the student that was helping other students in class.
Speaker 1: This was always me.
Speaker 3: And then sixth grade happened and I had a problem adjusting from you know, an elementary you got one teacher, one teacher, teacher all everything. Sixth grade, sixth grade you have now you get six different teachers that have six different attitudes, that have six differ diferent ways of doing things, and so it's like it's an adjustment period. And that on top of one new problem kind of messed me up academic, and the one major problem, when I know a lot of people deal with, is girls. And that was way more interesting than sedimentary rocks.
Speaker 1: Who who cares.
Speaker 3: I'm never gonna remember this, uh huh and uh yeah. And then so for the first time I got summer school. Yeah, summer school. And then but in summer school, both of classes that I was there for, I ate some both. I even had a teacher pulled me to the front of the class and go, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so smart, you don't need this.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: I just don't like having six teachers. I'm sorry, I just don't like I don't like learning like that.
Speaker 1: And uh yeah.
Speaker 3: That scared my parents enough where all my older brother Darrol, me and my little sister Kareema we all had to go to homeschool. And so from seventh through eleventh grade, I was homeschooled. And at first I was like, this sucks running away, I'm joining the circus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was the best thing ever happened to me, really, yeah, because I had I had at most two teachers, but in the beginning it was just one teacher taught me everything.
Speaker 3: No classroom is just like me and him. So I'm really learning things because I like, that's just the best way for me to learn.
Speaker 1: Shout out to her nod.
Speaker 3: He changed my life because you know, while we're doing homeschool, which is by the way, in the poolhouse, it's not like a class. And he would make these deals with me and my older brother that like, if we finished our work early, we could watch a movie. And it wasn't just like, you know, pick any movie. He was showing us stuff like Doctor Strangelove, Patton Rus.
Speaker 2: He was giving you an education without you knowing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's showing us these films, and I'm like, there's a side of me tapping in that I didn't know that I.
Speaker 1: Cared about, right, And then so from there.
Speaker 3: They had to add in a second teacher. You know, it's that way my brother and I can be taught at one time, and my sister can be taught. And so that was a lady by the name of Rachelle Nondorf. I love you to death. And you know, while all this is happening, I'm developing a love.
Speaker 1: For film through what her non is teaching me.
Speaker 3: And then so I started to like daydream like, I'm a real big day dreamer. And then one day he sat a notebook in front of me and he was like, listen, you're not here right now. Whatever's in your head, just write it down for me. When you get it down, can you come back. I was like, all right, for sure. I just started writing, started writing, started writing. And then he saw that I was starting to write a story. So he was like, every day, I'm gonna give you thirty minutes to write in your story.
Speaker 1: Just get it out of your head.
Speaker 3: And so next thing I know, I have like one hundred and twenty pages of a handwritten story. He then asked me, have you ever thought about writing scripts?
Speaker 1: I was like no.
Speaker 3: He's like, you have your dad, and you never thought it. Never crossed No, I'm gonna play for the Lakers. So from there he got me my scriptwriting teacher, Bill Rubinstein, who taught me how to break my story down into a script. And then you know, by then, I'm in eleventh grade and it's time to start thinking about like colleges and stuff, and.
Speaker 1: So it was like, I guess USC and did you go? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I went over to I ended up going to SC and but before then I got a notebook from Rachelle and on that notebook it said, go confidently in the direction of your dreams and live the life you've imagined. It's by Henry David Thorreaux, and I've held that quote on forever.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The reason why he was seventh to eleventh grade is because I begged my parents, like, come on my senior year, can I please go to Taft? Can I please go to Tap? And the reason why because my brother Daryl and I love But this is how Daryl graduated. You're in the kitchen, Mom's going through the mail, and she goes.
Speaker 1: Oh, Daryl, you graduated, Like we like go to dinner.
Speaker 3: You know, all the movies I've ever seen, it never's like that.
Speaker 4: No tasso, no slow motion.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I do not want that, Like can we please? Can I please go to TAP?
Speaker 2: I need something?
Speaker 3: And then so my sister who's like, while I'm a senior, she'd be a freshman, so she was like, can I go to Taft too? So then we they convinced him we go to the like as soon as we see you guys slip up, we're taking you back out her genius whatever, And so we go to Taft and now that first day they didn't enroll us into any classes, so like we just had to sit in the library.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: And then like we're looking at the clock in the library right after lunch and it's about one thirty.
Speaker 1: And now I remember looking at my sister and going what did we do?
Speaker 2: Why do we do this?
Speaker 1: We we had school from nine to one. Now we got eight to three? Right do we think? We throw at the air? Like who cares?
Speaker 3: And so like now I'm at Taft and like it was it was crazy because like there was always I'd always been going to like valley parties and stuff like that, because I still have my friends.
Speaker 1: From middle school.
Speaker 3: So there was only like really like whispers of my existence until like people finally.
Speaker 1: Started to go to school with me. It was like a religion exist. Yeah, like what they said, they saw you.
Speaker 3: And then so from there, like, yeah, I the biggest thing for me is at lunch, I remember finding a group of my friends that I knew and they were like, who are you hanging out with? I was like, what do you mean? Whoever the hell I want? I'm an American citizen, how dare you?
Speaker 1: But it was just like they all clicked up.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there for the click up stage that happens during middle school high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you weren't even aware. You're like, oh, were we friends? We're all in clicks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so like there was a divide and I never had that well hear mean. Other than that, I ended up going to three proms.
Speaker 1: That was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, went to TAFs prom of course, went to Birmingham's prom in taft colors.
Speaker 2: Okay, straight, you were trying to start something, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then Lab because that was random the girl was dating went to La B.
Speaker 2: Wow were you dating the other two girls? Because that seems like quick breakups? To have three proms? All save it for the book, Okay, no problem. Being ice cube son is probably a big shadow to live in. How did you navigate that or did it not feel like that to you?
Speaker 3: I mean at first it doesn't because it's like your dad, like, you know, they always ask me like, what's it like being an ice cube son?
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's boring. It's like it's the same thing your dad be doing.
Speaker 3: He probably does, except every now and then he'll disappear for some months and then have to go on tour or he'll be on TV. And yeah, I didn't really get who my dad was fully until I was eighteen, Like I didn't. It didn't really hit me what he means for other people or anything like that.
Speaker 1: So I was eighteen, I really didn't. I didn't hear I didn't.
Speaker 3: Listen to uh Straight out of Compton like the NWA until I was like thirteen fourteen. It was like my older brother Dyel showed me because like, you know, you expect, but I'm biased. I only like one guy, so I really like, I just didn't see it, and then once it hit me, it was like, oh, man.
Speaker 1: Kind of hit the baby lottery. Pretty cool guy.
Speaker 3: But it's just he's just always been my dude, Like you know, he he just likes regular guy stuff is just on TV.
Speaker 1: Sometimes.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like that's my goal for me with my kids. My kids just recently started asking me, why do people want to take pictures with you? And I'm like, whoa, you know, remember he told you I was on TV.
Speaker 1: What is the mall named after you?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly right by the way we get stopped at that mall, that's still our mall. So every time we're stopped. They're like, wait, why do people think it's weird that you're here. I'm like, it's hard.
Speaker 1: To explain exactly awesome. I wish I had that moment.
Speaker 2: It literally just happened last week. I was walking through the mall and the guy said, excuse me, I have to just say hi and tell you I've been such a fan. I said, oh, thank you so much. As he's walking away, goes stop. The fact that you're here, like it all hit him as he was walking away. It was so funny.
Speaker 1: In the Coca Cola fashion Low No way, that's insane.
Speaker 3: You saw Pango insane lottery.
Speaker 2: I want, to, of course, jump into your acting career, but before I jump into that, you there was a time where you were rapping and you went by the name OMG.
Speaker 1: Yes, which was my father's fault.
Speaker 3: Really, I would have never named myself that, never so my father Bless him, love him to death. Was on the Ellen Show, Yes, and you know when Ellen starts looking at you in your eyes, you just spewed whatever nonsense you can think of about your life. And he tells Ellen that my rap name is OMG. Now the reason why he says, oh, imagy is because he can't remember that the full thing that I told him my name was. He just remembers that it was, Oh, it's kind of like, oh my god, but it's not like that. So at the time, this is a really gonna date myself at the time. And one mixtape, which was like a streetball league, and anybody who was playing basketball had a basketball nickname. You know, you make up your own nickname, that's what your people call you when you play. My nickname was oh my goodness, because every time whatever I did, my best friend Kyle was on the side.
Speaker 2: Oh my good It was like a whole.
Speaker 3: Thing, right, And so he hears this and the mouse goes the different a different way in the maze and he heard, Yeah, that's his rap name. It's oen J And he says this on television. So I got a ride with it. I can't a liar, so I have to roll with this and make this cool. And then the litl Wayne and t I's daughters came out with the OMG girls and I was like, thanks guys. So yeah, it was just a debacle. It was a mess. I'm a survivor.
Speaker 2: Forgive me if this is out of line, but did you ever think about going by crushed ice?
Speaker 1: But you're just little ice cubes, crushed ice, snow water. Okay, all of these things they called my whole lot.
Speaker 2: You were raised around w C and Snoop and doctor Dre. The list goes on and on. I'm nervous. Have you Have you ever had an embarrassing moment in your life?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes, oh god, I remember.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I was on a date one time at the at the City Walk Universal and I tripped up the steps had pepsi all over my white sea, and like when you have a new white sea, it.
Speaker 1: Is like a mad exactly.
Speaker 3: But the girl, like I'm thinking she's in the theater, so I'm thinking, like she didn't see, but she helped me up, and so I'm like, this is really awesome.
Speaker 1: But I hate that you're here. And we ended up breaking up.
Speaker 3: She sucks, but it was like she was helpful, she had my back, But like, yeah, that's terrible. I'm definitely like, oh yeah, embarrassing yourself is just it's just natural.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't help it when you're young, especially, it just happens.
Speaker 3: And like when you're young, it is the biggest scar on your life. But then you realize when you're older that no one cares.
Speaker 2: No one, no one, no one's thinking about they're thinking about themselves. We're all just thinking about ourselves.
Speaker 3: Exactly like It's like they do not you might remember it the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: I promise you. They don't.
Speaker 2: They do not.
Speaker 1: They don't. I know it.
Speaker 2: Maybe your best friend does. My best friend remembers things about my life that I'm like, I'm so glad I have you because I don't remember these moments of my life. How do you remember these moments?
Speaker 1: Your little stenographer? Keep anything online?
Speaker 2: So acting wise, I mean, you have more than proven your chops at this point.
Speaker 1: Was that something?
Speaker 2: I mean you said it kind of clicked for you when your teacher started playing you films. Yeah, what did you start thinking right away when watching movies and realizing you loved film that acting was something you wanted to do?
Speaker 3: Uh No, And even with you know, when it came to you know, rapping, I realized that like if you put a beat on and tell me to just like write some bars to it, I could do that easy. When it comes to like a song, like writing a song a catchy hook, I like and all that. That's when I was pulling my hair out because then now I'm like, do.
Speaker 1: I like this? Like is this cool? Is everybody else gonna like this? Do I sound stupid? And it just wasn't fun.
Speaker 3: What I was realizing is I love writing something that people think, Oh man, why didn't I think of that? And you can get that off in a rap verse easy. So what I didn't realize at the time was that you just love writing. You love being able to create a world real quick and take people on a journey. And so I just transported that to film. Yeah, it was just like, all right, let's let's you know, film, that's where we can really make our mark. My dad and music he's got. That's a mountain that I'll never be able to climb. It's just and he's still building it. But in movies there's there's lanes that I can take our family name that, you know, just I just feel like I feel like Hollywood type cast rappers. There's just certain people, once they have ice Cube in their head, they're not going to see him as a doctor for some reason because they're just.
Speaker 1: Scared of it. So it just it is what it is.
Speaker 3: And so I just felt like I could take our family name to New Heights in that direction with film, and so it was. It was never in my cards to act when I went to USC. In my mind at that time my freshman year was O nine, I was going to write.
Speaker 1: Scripts for video games. Oh, that's what I was gonna go do.
Speaker 3: Grand Theft thought on Call of Duty had just made a billion dollars in a weekend. I was like, I can make you pay sixteen dollars a movie ticket, or I can make you pay.
Speaker 1: Sixty dollars a game.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I'm going to go here to learn the structure of storytelling, but I want to write scripts for games. And then in the middle of my second year, I was in the kitchen eating cereal as one does.
Speaker 1: My dad comes to the kitchen. It's like, hey, they're taking this NWA movie serious. I'm like, dope, Yeah, that's sick.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Like no, no, no, in a perfect world, I want you to play me.
Speaker 2: I was like, OK, wow, so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll do it. He was like you sure, yeah, no problem, I'm not concerned. Yeah, But in my mind I'm thinking this is terrible. Why why? Like at the time, no disrespect, there's not a lot of good rap movies. You know. It was eight mile yep, and there it is, you know. So it was like.
Speaker 3: This is either going to be bad, but if I don't try, I'm gonna end up like kicking my ass later because it's like, my dad's never asked me for anything, for anything.
Speaker 2: Imagine the alternative that you go, you know, I don't want to do it, and then you.
Speaker 1: Have someone else, your dad, and I'm like I want to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I was really in a position where it was just like in a and two seconds, I answered just like involuntarily and it was like this is what we're doing.
Speaker 1: And convinced him to let me leave school like that.
Speaker 3: If I'm going to take this actually thing serious, I can't be worried about these books, sedimentary rocks and stuff, because you can tell like hate sedimentary.
Speaker 2: Hate sedimentary rocks, and especially at that time, I was in my rebellious like twenties some of the second year of college.
Speaker 1: You guys only care about our numbers being better than U c LA. You just I'm here for my major.
Speaker 3: Why do I have to take these ge So now I had an excuse, and it was scary. It was scary because it took me two years to get the part. And I'm left in the second year of college that it takes me two years to get the part.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I'm on Instagram and I'm watching my friends graduate without me.
Speaker 2: Hold on your dad, who is aware from the beginning about this movie. They're taking it seriously and he wants you to play him. Yeah, and you still had to work for two years.
Speaker 3: I told him. I was like, He was like, You're gonna have to audition. I was like, please let me audition because I heard all the nightmares about Francis Coplea's daughter and I was like, please, like, make me go through it, because if I go through it and I'm not good, I'm just not good.
Speaker 1: But I tried. And Yeah, when he.
Speaker 3: First told the studio and Gary Gray, the director, that he wanted me to play him, they said, cube, is this a joke?
Speaker 1: Really? Oh my god, I'm a survivor. So you know, that was great, you know, for the for the confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, after the first audition, Gary saw something and that something made him get me. A coach by the name of Aaron Spizer, who I loves his.
Speaker 1: Day and I work with Aaron like every week, and.
Speaker 3: Then I flew to New York to work with Susan Batson and like for two.
Speaker 1: Years, I was just giving it all my time of day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, until finally it was like, yeah, they we have we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: It, not a chemistry, a screen test.
Speaker 3: You know they're gonna have you know, a cube, an Easy and a Dre and everybody mix maatch you guys see who fits. So I'm thinking like, all right, I'm gonna pull up and it's gonna be one Dre and one Easy there and then you know, I'm gonna switch it out. I get there, I see a Jerry Crow as you do, and I walk over to him. I was like, hey, what's going on? Are you going for Easy? He looked at me and he goes, no, I'm going for Cube. Put the eyebrow on. I was like, okay, how you doing. I'm Oshae Jackson Junior.
Speaker 1: Good to meet you, man.
Speaker 3: So now I'm punking everybody. Everybody has to feel me. And yeah, I was frowning the whole day. There was only one Easy.
Speaker 1: E was with Jason.
Speaker 3: Obviously he got the part, but yeah, from there the rest is history. But yeah, I was scared to death those two years because I got friends like, yeah, so what's going on.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're not even gonna get a Hey, guess what. You graduated in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: And they're all like inviting me to their parties and I don't want to go. Yeah, this is embarrassed.
Speaker 3: So I can answer nothing. And it was like I felt like I've ruined my life. I'm pretty chill man.
Speaker 2: Yeah it worked out.
Speaker 1: It worked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, okay, I had no idea that was uh, that was the journey.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Thank goodness.
Speaker 2: Ingrid Goes West with Aubrey Plaza was your follow up, and you play a quirky comic book nerd best friend, and that's where I think people realized like, oh, he's good and the best.
Speaker 1: Thing about that that role I'm not acting at all the best.
Speaker 3: And then everybody's like, oh man, this performance is phenomenal.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I love that you spent two years really getting into a character to play ice Cube. And then the one that everyone's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, look at these acting chops like to.
Speaker 3: Be me right, Like they just see my first one is so different than the second one. He must be good yeah, but I got it on kind of accident. Yeah yeah, like I wasn't. I'm not gonna say I wasn't supposed to get it. But so I'm at an award show that I'm presenting and I see Aubrey Plaza in the green room.
Speaker 1: Big Aubrey Plaza.
Speaker 3: Guy going to go see Yes, So I'm going to go see Aubrey Plaza.
Speaker 1: These nice old ass ladies.
Speaker 2: I love it. Nice old ass ladies. That's what people have nickname in high school.
Speaker 3: They stop me and they tell me how their grandson little straight on the comfin and ya, y'all this that the third I'm like.
Speaker 1: Trying to get in the picture. So we take the picture. Get to see y'all. Get to beat y'all. Turn around.
Speaker 3: All Replas is gone in natural o Shae Jackson Junior fashion.
Speaker 1: I run to Twitter.
Speaker 2: And I expressed my it always goes well transgressions.
Speaker 3: And uh yeah, all Replasa saw my hate tweet and she was she DM me. She was like, listen, I got this movie. You play my love interest. Just say yes. I was like, this is my second movie ever, but I know this isn't exactly how things are supposed to go. I was like, uh, let's set up a meeting.
Speaker 1: I'm all right.
Speaker 3: She gives me a number text her. I said, hey, it's Batman. She goes, great exclamation exclamation. I was like, all right, dope. Set up a meeting and it's at some random speakeasy in La that we've both never been to. I was like, all right, So we go there and she was like, so, how do you like the script?
Speaker 1: What script?
Speaker 3: She's like, what do you mean? I was like, whoa, if you send me a script, what's my email? She goes, why did you say you were Batman?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's trying to be cool. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm Batman. I love Batman. She goes, your guy in the movie is obsessed with Batman. And I thought you were saying yes, and I've already told the directors and producers.
Speaker 1: You said yeah. Oh it's always like I mean, I gotta do it now.
Speaker 3: And then I became Dan Pinto and you know, once we told the director of the story, he was like, oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just feels right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was like, well, whatever you feel, you know, let's just go over and we'll let you do your thing and then let me do a thing.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: So I just got to be shy that is great, and den of thieves. I know a third one is just around the corner. How fun is it to be an action star with Gerard Butler?
Speaker 3: Oh it's terrible, is it? It's because you get beat up so much. It's so much like physic non Shaye activities. You know, car chases, car our flips, going down rope, down an elevator.
Speaker 1: I don't do that. That's not me. I'm out of my element and we want to go to I hop super chill to kick me in the middle of the ocean.
Speaker 3: In real life, I thought, I was like, does Universe will not have a tank we could borrow?
Speaker 2: I mean seriously, they also not have stunt people.
Speaker 3: They had like six divers in the water and the dude was under there like yeah, but like, yeah, kick me in the water on my clothes on I don't do stuff.
Speaker 4: Like well, apparently you do and do it well, yeah, which is I guess it's good.
Speaker 1: It's my first franchise. Gerard is awesome. Yeah, yeah, that's my dude.
Speaker 3: And then, uh, you know, if you say the word madness around Gerard, he breaks into the three hundred speech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like just.
Speaker 3: If anybody sees him on the street, just say madness and just watch his eyes light up.
Speaker 1: Sick.
Speaker 3: And now he's in How to Train Your Dragon, just stunting on me, big jerk. But yeah, Dinner Thieves has It's been a pleasant surprise. Like a lot of people come up to me calling me Donnie Wilson, and I just didn't expect it. I really love that film because you get to be the mastermind. Yeah, you know, I get to be the twist. And for this third one, I'm really going crazy. From the premiere of the last one to today, I'm down sixty pounds, going for another fifty and then I'm an bulk up and I'm gonna make triple Age give me a match. Yeah, but then I'm gonna do the movie, okay, because I can't sign up for the movie and then do the match of like this contract stuff and they'll be like, don't let them get hurt.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to go hard.
Speaker 2: You're trying to go hard.
Speaker 1: You know. I have a dream of going through.
Speaker 3: A table, right, I need to like go hard because like wrestling fans, they got to like feel like you know, they gotta feel like one of us, and I like that means I gotta go through it where they're like, yeah, they're yi, yeah exactly, they feel like nervous.
Speaker 2: Nervous for you, Yeah exact. Your mom's gonna hate it, for sure. I'm gonna hate it too, but I'm also gonna I love it as a fan.
Speaker 1: He's in his element.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you are a fellow podcaster with co host TJ, who I met actually at last WrestleMania. Do you love being able to get out all your wrestling opinions whenever you want?
Speaker 1: Yes? And I still have to hold back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, man, because listen when we were when we were just two young bucks, which is only a year ago, uh huh we and you know we were with Rich Eyes and and you know, other companies and things like that. It just seemed like I could be a little bit more guns blazing. But like now I'm a product of the Walt Disney Company and Mickey Mouse will have SUVs outside the house. So like I just I've been cool. Yeah, I mean TJ will tell you I have. I have calmed down quite the bit. Every now and then I have to ask for the bleak button to be ready yep, because like you need that.
Speaker 2: It's sometimes totally exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've slowed down quite the bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I'm a father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a mother.
Speaker 2: And it just changes us a little bit. Do you have a dream guest? You two haven't interviewed yet.
Speaker 3: Absolutely the White Whale. Got to get the Rock. I have to get him in studio. By the way, John Cena gave us two and a half hours.
Speaker 4: Dwayne, Wow, I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: Don't want him to be topped, just saying, got the same agent. But I got it to talk to Rock. He's my hero. I have to talk to him. We got to talk to Roman.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Look, thank god for Phil Brooks.
Speaker 3: Thank god for him because he was our first episode and I knew, like, we have to hit it out park first episode, and you know, we're two guys like we love wrestling, never wrestled, and it's quick for an audience to be like, what do you know he don't want to listen to all for so Phil, you know, our first two episodes were Phil because we you know, we broke it down into two episodes. But he was such a major part in putting us on the map so early, getting us up to number four podcasts on Apple, like that's crazy in your first episode, and they kind of put everybody on notice about us.
Speaker 1: We've had some bumps in a row, but they've been pretty smooth. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, and now we work for the Entertainment Sports Network, which they say has its perks.
Speaker 1: We're still trying to figure them out. But yeah, TJ hates that. I said that.
Speaker 2: You have very strong opinions hot takes even could you tell me the one that you think got you the most in Trouble Online?
Speaker 1: Ooh, number one. I know everybody loves.
Speaker 3: The ending of WrestleMania forty doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Speaker 1: You don't like it. How did the Undertaker come out here.
Speaker 3: For I don't know, like Davian Interact a week prior or anything.
Speaker 1: Why does the Undertaker just like Cody? What was that?
Speaker 3: And he just saves them and I'm supposed to be happy, my cold ass freezing Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: One far in the air.
Speaker 3: By the way, Philly, you should never get another WrestleMania. Oh my god, I'm so uncomfortable and I gotta watch my favorite lose for no reason because the Undertaker decided to come out like Spider Man, everybody gets.
Speaker 1: What everybody saves everyone.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Undertaker and Cody have no I haven't seen him talk since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. Thanks.
Speaker 3: That's the greatest ending of all time, my ass. So that's that's that one. Sorry, Cody, you know I get it.
Speaker 1: Babies up by a billion. Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Listen, guys, there are two nights of WrestleMania, so there are two episodes with Osha. This Friday, I'll continue my chat with the rapper, actor and podcaster. Plus we will listen to one of your embarrassing involving makeup. But you have to subscribe now to the dedicated Team Beat feed, So search for it wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe. That way you never miss another episode. Teen Beat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Soudbach. The theme song is by mar Coppus. Yes that Mark Coppus. Follow us on Instagram at teen Beat pod