Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sidelines.
Speaker 1: He is Hanging with the Boys, presented by Wing Stuff.
Speaker 3: Where Flavor gets its wings.
Speaker 4: Now your hosts.
Speaker 1: Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon Gross.
Speaker 5: Thursday, looking live at Tostitos Championship Plaza outside Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 6: Where it doesn't get much better than this.
Speaker 5: Seventy nine degrees, the highest eighty five, the lowest fifty four.
Speaker 7: Here's Sherley, that's lunch. He is Shannon, that is Kirt. In the back is Chris. I don't know when they apps.
Speaker 6: We don't know either.
Speaker 4: We don't know when they tap. Not here, not here.
Speaker 7: I am selling pepper Poppy together we make Hanging with the boys. I didn't go down the right way.
Speaker 5: Struggle struggle bus the sports talk equivalent the braill people.
Speaker 4: Fee when we speak.
Speaker 5: Or through that or whatever, when things come out of our mouths, sounds broach it every day by wingstop or Flavor gets its wiz.
Speaker 6: How you guys doing better than I'm doing? Good welcome Chris. Yeah, we'll give jesse Ment a co I'm dying. At least you made show. I died last week and didn't make it to the show.
Speaker 4: So they will call you soft and everything.
Speaker 6: Dude, I hadn't been I don't know if it was us. You are not a machine, Jesse neither am I. You would not have wanted me on the show Thursday situations.
Speaker 5: Notting Rise running all over the microphone would not have been good.
Speaker 6: But it's only one day, one day, and I was good.
Speaker 5: So uh may do y'all remember a we'll get I want your take on part of this.
Speaker 6: But do y'all remember? And it probably happens every year.
Speaker 4: You just don't realize it.
Speaker 5: This many big names flying around trading teams and getting cut and a.
Speaker 8: Lot of receivers for sure.
Speaker 5: Well that's why I was gonna bring up, what is your take on why so many big name, big contract receivers or flat out just getting cut because you know, people don't want to take on their contracts as it is, there that much talent now coming out of college, that receiver depth is better than.
Speaker 6: It used to be, and it's easy to get you.
Speaker 5: Know, a number one two or is the game changing. Is the salary cap effect the words should take on that.
Speaker 7: I think the answer is yes to all of the above. I think the talent has definitely grown. When you think about now, look at how many kids in high school are doing private training, one on one training. The development of the game is happening at a much faster rate. So you're getting more college ready players. And then you're getting into college and now those guys aren't taking as long as it used to take to get ready, so you just have you just have an accelerated production that it is happening in the skill positions, and the kids are getting bigger too, bigger, stronger, faster, like across the board. And then the second thing is when they come into the league, you're starting to see more now of the system. Right, we used to make fun of the system quarterback or the system. Look at what the Niners have done the last.
Speaker 4: Couple of years.
Speaker 7: It's like plug a player in here, he runs this, we run this system. If he does not need to do. In this system, everything flows and everything functions, and so you're seeing more of that. You're seeing more of the new age coaches come in taking a lot of the think workout, taking a lot even like a lot of the skill workout of Hey, just be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there and the progression of this route and you'll be open.
Speaker 4: So is that a.
Speaker 5: Testament of how far ahead of the game Bill Belichick was because in there what he used to do. Yeah, take player A, B, C, D yes, and then put him in here and they're still gonna get this many yards.
Speaker 7: And those teams who develop those type of dynasties you look at it and it's it's it's only until the rest of the league catches up and then you're no longer the hot shot again. And we saw that with the Shanahans, the mc veigs.
Speaker 6: You become the old guy with the hot shot.
Speaker 7: Young you gotta event you, so you gotta find other ways to become hot and so and so. Now teams are just looking at it and saying, I can find the next guy, and it's it's you. And then you end up having the big names are casualties of doing business because yes, we signed you, and we we we we talk about the Eagles a lot and how they're doing business. Eventually they'll have to pay the piper. They're winning now, but in a couple of years you'll see, oh man, they had to get rid of Saquon, they had to get rid of Davante, and they had to get rid of aj because you just come to a point where you can't push that bill down the road anymore. The window of you winning with at that cost, uh is it's not feasible anymore. So you start seeing teams let go of these guys and and just basically no one wants to say it anymore.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: It's it's it's kind of like a forbidden word grouping. But it's a soft rebuild, like the Niners are going through a soft rebuilt. That's what they're going through right now. They've had some major cups. And when you're when you have a quarterback, and this is the key part of it all, when you have a quarterback on a rookie deal, that gives you think about it, in Esse, its fifty million dollars a year.
Speaker 4: To play with.
Speaker 7: When you think about it, when you have a quarterback who's on a rookie deal, I have an extra fifty million dollars that I can go and do what I need to do with and then it comes to a point in time where now you're looking up and you're saying, uh oh, like Washington, they're able to do what they're able to do because Jaydon Daniels costs a very little bit about a money amount of money towards their overall salary cap.
Speaker 5: And it just amplifies that when you have a rookie quarterback that's really good.
Speaker 7: That's really good, it helps you right right, Or they did it with rock Party when brock Perty was playing.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a rookie deal.
Speaker 8: That's part of why they're cutting everybody. They're gonna him.
Speaker 7: They got to pay him. They have to make a decision. This is the guy we're gonna go forward with. So we got to make room because if we're gonna do a deal now or in the next year, it's gonna cost us forty five to fifty to fifty five million dollars to play quarterback in the National Football League, and so we can't keep all those big names around and pay him. So it's like, let's start our soft rebuild now, Let's go through our little bit of hiccups now, and then next year we'll come out the gates and we'll be signing guys and doing guys because you know you'll sign them, and once you sign them, the money gets pushed towards the back of the contract. So you'll sign them. He'll have a big time for you. He'll have a big time signing bonus, but it'll count pennies towards the salary cap of that year, which means I can now go and play back in that pool again. I can go play in the pool of getting those players out of YadA YadA, and then it'll come to roost.
Speaker 4: In a couple of years.
Speaker 7: So it's it's a combination of all of those things being yes, okay, Kurt, Yeah.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about what the Cowboys have done in free agency so far?
Speaker 6: Well, keeping guys, letting guys go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think we all there's certain guys. You know, We're nice to have Jordan Lewis here. I don't know if ten million a year was worth that. Same with DeMarcus Lawrence. He's got a real good deal of Seattle. It'd be nice to have him. They're there's there got some big holes to fill, especially on the defensive line, cornerbacks, some other spots. I like that they're adding depth, but I don't feel like they've really other than maybe linebacker, I don't think they've really added any impact players. So they're kind of doing what they said they were going to do, you know, just selectively relectively aggressive and just kind of I guess the plan is they're gonna They've opened their setting their SUPs up so they can grab impact players in the draft. Right now. It's got the fan base a little worried. I think.
Speaker 5: It's like it feels like business as usual, and business has not been good for twenty years.
Speaker 8: Well that's the thing.
Speaker 4: This is the little draft me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, this has been the the roadmap for them for years.
Speaker 5: And you're you're going and getting a bunch of guys that nobody else wanted, that never lived up to their potential, that you're thinking can fill holes because at one time they were first round talent or second round talent.
Speaker 6: It just feels like the same old thing at a.
Speaker 5: I think a very pivotal point in this franchise. I feel like you're losing your fan base. I feel like everybody's just kind of ho, hume whatever. And I feel like the business model is going the same way it used to. When you need you need to maybe, you know, whatever happens on the field happens on the field, right, Like, I feel like maybe they're over evaluating the talent that's on the roster again because they're not going and making the re signing guys.
Speaker 6: That are good players, right, but they're.
Speaker 5: Not like, oh see you talked about it, not not really a twenty million dollar player, but homegrown somebody, you like, somebody that's familiar with the system, somebody that's here probably overpaid a little bit or a lot, however you look at it. You know, I think all the rest of the resigned guys, the special teams, you want to keep them intact because that was a shining point, you know, last year you got that back. By the way, shout out to Cavante Turpin, probably the richest man in Monroe, Louisiana now.
Speaker 6: Shout out.
Speaker 5: But I mean, it just feels like, you know, and listen, if I was upstairs, this was my organization, I.
Speaker 6: Would I would probably be the same way. This is the way I do business, this is my team, this is the way I'm going to run it.
Speaker 4: I would hope you wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Eventually, We're I'm gonna get there. But at the same time, it's like I think you just as a fan, you just want to be you want to shake up, you want to you know no.
Speaker 8: I think Jerry even said it last week that you know there are planning on these young guys and these injured guys coming back and stepping up. And that's a lot of hope, a.
Speaker 6: Lot of hope.
Speaker 5: And I tell you what if you if you miss on the draft, because it looks like where you're going with running back, you're all in on the draft, whether you go early or whatever, because you know Rico the only and I don't remember I don't remember a time here where running back was this uncertain. You always had somebody that was familiar with Rico gone and you you what's it Williams right, which is basically the numbers look like kind of a Rico two point oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you're not familiar with that's a tar Hill I'm talking about. That's tough.
Speaker 4: You know, you know a tar Hill biased.
Speaker 5: So you're putting all your eggs in a in a draft. It looks like a draft basket that you haven't been.
Speaker 6: You haven't hit on. You definitely didn't hit last year.
Speaker 8: You you last two years ago yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, So if you don't hit on this, you're talking about disaster for your franchise if that's where you're going, and so far in free agency that seems like where you're going.
Speaker 4: Yet.
Speaker 7: Jerry made the comment this offseason and I guess this will this will be the comment. Last year it was all in. This year will be the selectively be aggressive. And then he talked about the other day it was about with the last Wednesday about we don't we don't have any holes, we don't have any voids. These are avoid fillers. Okay, this with these are you can say you don't have any voids. You got voids. You avoided linebacker, You still got a void that corner, you got void at running back. You have avoided second wide receiver like you got voids. You still probably have some voids up front the defensive line, and you can probably afford to bring in maybe another offensive line or two.
Speaker 4: You got voids.
Speaker 7: And these players I get while they're doing it, like the move, I think, who was it? Denzel Washington says, never confuse movement with progress, and so they're making moves to feel the void.
Speaker 4: But these aren't progressive moves, none of them.
Speaker 6: These are moves you have to make to operate the franchise.
Speaker 7: Is a move that you have to make to actually play legal football, ye, Like you know what I'm saying, Like to actually have eleven dudes on offense, have eleven dudes on defense, and have eleven dude.
Speaker 6: And not get embarrassed on Sunday.
Speaker 9: People don't realize they only had like forty guys on the right roster, so you actually have to go sign. You gotta sign to make a roster. They allow you to have nineties right now, they got like forty, so you got fifty guys to go.
Speaker 6: Thanks for putting that in perspective. You know, I'm just letting y'all know.
Speaker 4: Ye, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: At some point, you gotta get you gotta get guys.
Speaker 7: You have to get guys on this roster to have a legal roster to go actually go and play football and practice football and do all the team things that you need to do, you know, weekend and week out during the offseason.
Speaker 4: So I get it. I understand it.
Speaker 7: And I don't know if this was on purpose by you, Kurt, or it just happened that way, all right, But there's this emphasis that we keep seeing former first round for the first round, former first round, former first round, former first round.
Speaker 8: Like like when you put on this list, like that was interesting.
Speaker 7: That's a telling sign, like like we are the I call it will to spend the block franchise. If we like the guy doing the draft seven years ago, we like their traits six years ago, five years.
Speaker 6: We think we could do better than somebody.
Speaker 7: We'll spend the block on them quick, you know. And so when you hear former first round pick, former first round pick, just want to let people know, you never hear former first round pick over players that were actually lived up to that, to that billing.
Speaker 4: You don't hear that, You don't.
Speaker 7: You don't hear former first round pick for guys who actually lived up to it. Now you get released, you know, seven eight years out down the road.
Speaker 5: But you lived up to that first Michael Parsons described as a former first round.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't hear it. You just don't.
Speaker 5: You don't hear it because you hear them by their first name, Micah, and everybody in the league knows who they are.
Speaker 7: You see what I'm saying, Like like no one says no one says former first round pick Joey Bosa.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: This is Joey Bosa, right, you know what I mean? Like so that that's a telling sign to me. And and the Cowboys are they always they always looking for the traits. It's always through the traits plus reclamation project, you know, for affordable price measurable.
Speaker 6: Is this the kind of guy we like other the traits?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: Like they they they measure a certain way, they do a certain thing, and we like them in the draft and they will come out in the draft. And so all those things balled up. And one is what you see in the newly acquired players the Cowboys have. And we can we can kind of go through them and I can give you my thoughts. I watched I had a chance to watch some of them, not all of them, and I had to watch all of them extensively, just kind of peeked in and uh, and yeah, we can we can talk about them and see, I guess give a grade to it or what happened.
Speaker 8: Just some of those grades.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's get in. Do you still have that? Pull that up and when we come back, we'll talk about that.
Speaker 5: And by the way, Osa, you are now a twenty million dollar player.
Speaker 6: Despite what Jesse said.
Speaker 4: What's wild is you are he actually left money on the table from what the markets looking like right now. I don't know if he and his anything was like, let's just get a deal. He's actually left. He could have been more of a Richard.
Speaker 6: He could have been more of a richard, have been a twenty two million, could have been easily. Maybe that's not important to him.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's not.
Speaker 6: Maybe quality of life and where you're at and they been. Maybe he has the inside track.
Speaker 7: And what you can do with twenty that you can't do with twenty two. It's a twenty two twenty whatever was great?
Speaker 6: Point that extra two million when you're already making twenty.
Speaker 9: Sence where he's signing Texas is Yeah, I'm just saying that actually actually brought that up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I heard at his interview he brought that up. Jacksonville might give you some money.
Speaker 5: All right, when we come back, let's look at some of these guys and say farewell to a few old friends of the show.
Speaker 6: Sad day in cowboy Land. We'll be back.
Speaker 10: How's wingstop sound? Crispy Juicy Classic Wings? Sausty tossed that those eletted soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey, mustard, blue cheese.
Speaker 4: Or signature Wingstop ranch.
Speaker 10: I think you've heard enough, Get your labor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 11: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game date as the official wings of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Order now by download the Wingstop app. Order online at wingstop dot com.
Speaker 12: Hey, Cowboys Fans, a twenty twenty four football season is here and set gig is here to help you experience.
Speaker 10: All the action.
Speaker 4: Seat Gig makes it.
Speaker 12: Easier to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season. Whether you're buying or selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, set gig.
Speaker 4: Is the place to do it.
Speaker 10: Seat Gig is the official.
Speaker 12: Primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. The most disruptive idea in ticketing a ticket that works.
Speaker 4: Inspect the expected seed key.
Speaker 2: Cow about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets. As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate. Thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets, they sure make game Day special. And for every purchase of the new Tyson Cowboys Nuggets this holiday season, Tyson Foods will donate one dollar to the Salvation Army up to one hundred thousand dollars. As you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game Day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 12: We got big personalities, We got big hair, big bell buckles.
Speaker 4: We got fans all across as big state and enemies and every other one.
Speaker 12: We even got a big star on the fifty yard line. Smirnov knows football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 4: Home are away.
Speaker 12: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because most of all, we got big love.
Speaker 8: For them boys.
Speaker 4: Smirnoff, we do game Day. Please drink responsibly to Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the second segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought to you each and every show by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: Thank you blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Kurt Yes, roll on down to the roller Grill at seven to eleven right down the street and grab your favorite items off that roller grill.
Speaker 6: Then enjoy a big gulp big golf.
Speaker 5: Sir Jesse needs a big gulp. After that first segment, he was struggling for just eighty nine cents valid of participating stores. Fill up at Pop eight and get game a day already. All right, let's say goodbye to a couple.
Speaker 4: Of trivia boys.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yea yeah, I got something for you. Let's do trivia first.
Speaker 9: Someone brought this up to me, uh, a couple of shows ago.
Speaker 6: Did you research it to make sure it was accurate?
Speaker 13: It was accurate?
Speaker 6: Okay, good, Okay?
Speaker 13: Can you name the players left from the Garrett error? The players left from the Garrett era? So one, coach, you go, how many years ago was that?
Speaker 6: Five?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Five? How many are there? I'm not gonna tell you.
Speaker 7: Zero Then DAK, c J Goodwin, CJ good Ones, two, DAK CD, Donovan Wilson.
Speaker 13: Donovan Wilson CD, And that's it.
Speaker 6: Ced didn't play for Garrett.
Speaker 9: He was drafted in twenty twenty, which was the COVID year, and that was McCarthy's first draft.
Speaker 6: That's it. Three guys, three guys left.
Speaker 7: Wow, Dak CJ and Donovan Donovan.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 6: It's a good trivia question, Chris. Thanks appreciate that.
Speaker 4: And Dak's now your longest tenure cowboy, right yep, I.
Speaker 8: Mean years ten twenty sixteen.
Speaker 9: So being I'll be interesting to see when training camp starts because that's when they come in five out what the youngest team in the NFL is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that will be interesting. Uh, Jordan Lewis, DeMarcus Lawrence not surprised by either one of those guys leaving or for what.
Speaker 8: They signed for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was shocked that Jordan Lewis got that. I'm happy for Jordan. I was shocked that they got ten Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah. They had said they wanted him back. They were trying to get him, but they just weren't going to.
Speaker 4: Go that high.
Speaker 5: Would you all pay ten million for him? Considering you really have one corner right now that you can depend on.
Speaker 8: And he's ten is tough, thirty at his age, and.
Speaker 5: I mean he was your nickel corner.
Speaker 4: If I don't think I signed Jordans.
Speaker 7: If I knew that my team was a serious contender, I might have signed Jordan Man if I knew that my team was a serious contender. I might have done could have been that one piece of I might have done two for twenty.
Speaker 8: Really yeah, see that's said one person I read speculated that same day they signed Marcus Marquis Bell. Could he be your slot guy having played some linebacker, he's bigger?
Speaker 4: No, no, no.
Speaker 8: He's not bigger knowledge no.
Speaker 7: No, not not the cover receivers. I mean Jordan, what Jordan did in the slot you're talking about. You know, he went up against some premium guys, you know what I mean, And he battled against some premium gods. I don't I don't think Marquis Bell is versatile. But he's more versatile in the sense of, you know, coming down in the box, you know, tackle running backs, cover some tight ends. But to have to cover a receiver, you know, forty yards running across the field, Yeah, he'd be he'd be a he'd be in a blender, he would be.
Speaker 5: So DeMarcus went to Seattle, right, Yeah, three years forty two million, not to aiden dirty.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 5: Jordan Lewis h Jacksonville three years thirty million, a doga same place, two years seven million. Ricos rised me a little bit the money that he got Carolina one year, six point twenty five million.
Speaker 7: That's okay, So the six point twenty five is up to Incent Events. Yeah, it's more like it's.
Speaker 4: Like like what what they gave Javonte?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that surprised me that they for what they spent on Javonte, why they didn't bring you?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then Chauncey Ghoston signed with the Giants three years, nineteen and a half million.
Speaker 7: One thing about DeMarcus Lawrence, boy, he don't he don't miss when it comes time to going to the bank.
Speaker 6: No, he don't miss. That's his what third big contract?
Speaker 4: He don't miss.
Speaker 6: And he's been hurt a lot.
Speaker 4: He don't him.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 7: David Cant is the cantor so when whenever it is, in fact, all of David Cat's content clients, right, Lawrence Lewis No, yeah, Lawrence Lewis.
Speaker 4: Rico was in there, Dad was in there too, right yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: But when it comes to whenever David Canton, DeMarcus Lawrence, they see out of eye when it come to them checks because he don't miss with it. Coud of to Marcus lower good Fee, they go to the bank together.
Speaker 5: Well, happy for all those guys, as people sad to see all of them go from a team perspective. Then re signed guys of course, the punter Anger two years six point four million, Cavante Turpin three years, thirteen and a half, your long snapper three years four point four to five million, Marquise Bell get to see him back three years nine million.
Speaker 6: CJ.
Speaker 5: Goodwin, which has been here for seems like he's fifty years old.
Speaker 8: Wow is one year when he got here.
Speaker 5: One point four million and Osa four years eighty million.
Speaker 8: So I wanted to get Nate's opinion on this because he was preaching, we need all those guys back, and we needed Jordan Goldston. Don't do like last year we lost ormstrong and foulering man. They did exactly.
Speaker 5: So would you just looking at who the newly acquired guys are the guys they let go? These are what you said gap fillers, right, would you have left some gaps open to get some of these guys back and move this money around?
Speaker 6: Like DeMarcus. I don't I love DeMarcus.
Speaker 5: I don't know physically what he's got left because he's you know, with his back problem he's had, and then.
Speaker 4: What is it fot foot.
Speaker 5: Not good problems to have as a defensive end, so that money's a little bit steep. But these other guys I would have thought you would have for it's a lot of money for these guys, but looking at who you signed, does it balance out? Would you try to keep your own guys like Nate said, or would you do you think it's good.
Speaker 6: To kind of move on and try some different.
Speaker 7: Out of the five that we lost, I think three I would have I would have liked to keep. I would have liked to keep Jordan, Rico and Gholson. Those three I would have liked to keep if you could have somehow, some way. And I don't even know if it's really like money, because even when you're sitting right now, the Cowboys, yes they got they got some more some more depth. But I don't know if the replacements are better than what we lost, right you know what I mean? Like, I don't know if that's like Javonte is to me and Kurt has the PFF grades for if you if you if you value that for whatever you value that for Javonte is not better than Rico.
Speaker 4: He's not. He's not.
Speaker 7: Maybe he's a better pass catch out of the backfield, but he's not a better running back than Rico. I don't know what Gabe Jones is. I mean, they'll have some competition there. But if that was the case, you know, whether it's guard or whether it's tackle. You know with Tuma, do.
Speaker 8: You like that these are all like one year deals, a bunch of most of them, and it's just like a quick.
Speaker 4: That's what lets me know these are like fillers.
Speaker 7: These are avoid fillers because you don't have any long term plans.
Speaker 4: And and let me also add this to the mix.
Speaker 7: Just because these guys are signed today, that don't mean they make this football team. Like there's a there's a none of this money, like it's really really guaranteed money until you get onto the roster after sept whatever the September date is that you add to the roster and that money becomes guaranteed. Whatever you get in your signing bonus, that's you know whatever that those guys who have some signing bonuses, but.
Speaker 4: It is not.
Speaker 7: This newly acquired list are a bunch of guys who, like Chris and I was saying earlier, we gotta feel a team. You gotta put guys on the team to feel the team. Doesn't mean that they're going to actually be here when we break camp and we start our seating off in September. That that's not a None of these guys are Exton Stone and so we'll see, well, we'll see what they have. You know, like I said, what it what it lends you is I don't have to go into the draft with dire needs like I don't if if I go into the draft and I can't really get the linebacker around want, I'm not too tore up about it because I got two linebackers already.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I suppose if you go into the draft and you don't have you all you got is a Maris on your football team right now, and and uh, what's the guy who was in the doghouse last year?
Speaker 4: Damon Clark.
Speaker 7: Now you're going to the draft and you almost kind of it's a pressing need now you may reach you may have to kind of really go above and beyond and get a guy because you don't have any guys.
Speaker 4: These guys they're.
Speaker 8: I don't know, they still be running back And yeah, Cornery.
Speaker 7: No no, no, You're still going to draft those guys for sure. But again I am I Jerry said it about you know, I was a little bit over ahead of my skis when I drafted a first round left tackle and I just threw them out there and thought it was gonna work. So you want to kind of have some guys in the position if if that, if that young fella ain't quite coming along like you need them to, because it's a lot of pressure on your organization to going to the draft and saying, well, I need rounds one, two and.
Speaker 4: Three to hit. Yeah, like that's pressure.
Speaker 7: Like I need one, two and three to be instant, impact, productive human football players today. Now, normally you feel that way about one right one you're kind of saying, like, all right, you know, I'm at twelve one, should come in here and be able to go. You feel that way two and three you kind of you know, the percentage goes down a little bit, but you're still kind of feeling a little.
Speaker 4: Bit hopeful forward. But the pressure is on.
Speaker 7: Now that boy we miss on our last two drafts, so to speak, not so to speak, you missing your last two drafts. You know early on, I gotta get these guys in here going right now, because if not, Kenneth Murder's at the guy that you're gonna want out there as your starting middle linebacker, rotational guy. Sure, but if he's your starting backer, if Javonte was just starting running back, oof, life get difficult.
Speaker 6: Ah, all right, getting depressed. Let's take a break. Let's take a break. We'll come back. Let's let we come back.
Speaker 5: Chris, you brought it up, Kurt, you had it kind of in your notes, like this is a very different looking football team and a lot of your veteran guys that were you're you know, would get in your face behind closed doors, you know, not really, I don't know if they talked about it a lot publicly, but you know, DeMarcus Lawrence, Jordan Lewis, Zach Martin, those were all guys that held that locker room accountable. And now within five years, you've got three guys that have been on the team five years are longer, right. You got these leaders in the locker room that are gone. So let's talk about the locker room dynamic because I've talked to Nick about this and it always seems to come true, and I want to get your take on it, because I think a locker room morphs into what most locker rooms are the same. You have the same characters no matter who you get rid of, it's almost like, Okay, we need a jerk, we need a nice guy, and people morph into those roles as people leave, because you're always going to have an Orlando Scandrid, Right, You're always going to have somebody that's not real nice to the media.
Speaker 4: Right, humans, not just media, But you're.
Speaker 6: Like, you're always going to have, you know, the nice guy.
Speaker 5: Like, I want to get your take on that, because you've been in a lot of different locker rooms. How you know, you get rid of this guy and then all of a sudden somebody kind.
Speaker 6: Of takes on that role.
Speaker 5: But this is very different, and you know, maybe it's a good thing with the new coaching staff coming in and they can.
Speaker 6: Kind of mold it or does it mold itself. Let's talk about that and maybe some other things when we come back. The final segment of Hanging with.
Speaker 10: The Boys back House wingstop sound, crispy juicy, classic wings, sauted tossed that those are letting, soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature wingstop wretch. I think you've heard enough. Get your labor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 11: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game date as the official Wings.
Speaker 4: Of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Order now by download the wings Stop out or ordered online at wingstop dot com.
Speaker 14: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 6: Scott Kitchen, slid for the first.
Speaker 14: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perthpick.
Speaker 2: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 14: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiro's fresh flavorful ready to serve. Guacamli made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Yo Kiro's wide range of.
Speaker 2: Mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section.
Speaker 12: Grab some today, Hey Cowboys fans, a twenty twenty four football season is here, and set Gig is here to help you experience all the action. Seat Gig makes it easy to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season.
Speaker 4: Whether you're buying or.
Speaker 12: Selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, seed Gig is the place to do it. Seat Gig is the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys, the most disruptive idea in ticketing a ticket that works, expect the expected seed.
Speaker 6: Geeking with the Bulls.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the final segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought to you each and every show by Jigsaw, the proud dating partner.
Speaker 6: Of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Talk about the locker room, Jesse, You've been in a few of them, and they are they all.
Speaker 4: Are?
Speaker 5: They all kind of the same but different? Is there always you know, your usual cast of characters, like you have the the kind of quiet leader you know that sits in there and you know, doesn't say a lot, and then you got the really outspoken.
Speaker 4: Loud guys.
Speaker 5: And then you've got the guys that don't say anything ever until stuff gets real crazy, and then it's like, all.
Speaker 6: Right, fellas, look this is getting ridiculous.
Speaker 5: And you know, is it always kind of the same hierarchy and then when guys leave, you know, like you got some leaders.
Speaker 6: Here, DeMarcus and George Lewis.
Speaker 5: Jordan Lewis was kind of a he's gonna let you know if you're not doing your job, not really put it out in the media, but we'll say we you know, we missed our assignments, we didn't do whatever. People kind of morph into. You'll have somebody that will morph into a Jordan Lewis gout. You'll have somebody that'll morph into a Zach Martin that's not gonna put his business out there.
Speaker 6: But is that typically everywhere you go.
Speaker 7: Yes, Like and when you were describing it before he went to the break, it was it was very telling because you're right, when whatever that person is whoever the vocal leader. When he goes, someone will morph into being in that role. Now Here's the thing about the locker room culture is it's not who has the loudest voice, but it's about whose voice do they listen to the most. Because you can be loud and we don't listen to you, right, Or you can be kind of seft spoken and when you speak, it speaks.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 7: You've been around people when they speak everyone shuts up and listens, and you've been around people who talk loud and you're like, this guy's just blowing hot air.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 7: And so that's the biggest thing. It's about the guys in the locker room. What voice are they gravitating to? And as much as football is a team sport, it's a.
Speaker 4: Clickish locker room.
Speaker 7: You know, not only by positions like yeah, you'll have your receivers over here, but you'll have your clicks. You'll have your certain amount of people who will hang around them and and and then those clicks things formulate. Uh and and depending on again, depending on who I agree with who I don't agree with, is who I will follow and how much I will follow them. You think about Dak being the quote unquote leader.
Speaker 4: Of this football team.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 7: And it's funny that you brought up leadership because the Marcus where excuse me, DeMarcus Lawrence was one of those guys who were was a leader and enjoyed little one of the guys.
Speaker 4: Who was a leader.
Speaker 7: And almost right after the news came out that the Marcus Lawrence was going to the Seahawks, presumably the next leader in the pack tweets out, it's my time, lion face, and you guys know where I stand on when it comes to leadership. You ain't got to keep shouting at you're the leader, the lion and the pride. Don't keep shouting out that I'm the lion. I'm the leader.
Speaker 4: He just is.
Speaker 7: He beats the one that was in charge, and now everyone follows. And so it's gonna be an interesting thing to look at because who are the masses listening to? And leadership it breaks down to just being the best player more than just being the best player, And leadership takes so.
Speaker 14: Much like.
Speaker 7: If you're old enough, if you're our age and older, you understanding. You knew Michael Irvin was hell on wheels off the field to deal with, but he was the leader of the Cowboys, right like he Nato tell you that. Most of Gottill tell you that. And it wasn't because of what he did off the field. It was because he was the first guy in last got to leave. Nobody worked harder than him. He worked out, he was in the film room, he challenged you. He showed up. And you can know Mike can be out three, four, five, six o'clock in the morning. He wasn't missing practice. He wasn't gonna be late. He wasn't gonna half a it out there on the football field. He wasn't gonna blow assignments. He wasn't gonna drop the football. He wasn't gonna take off periods in practice.
Speaker 4: You knew that.
Speaker 7: And so that was a guy when he spoke, you listen, that was a guy who you followed despite what he what he was, you know his in his and this off the field life. So you just want to make sure that when you come down to that leadership that you're being that guy. And I should say that there is a there's a fine line that is drawing because what you do outside of football is no concern to me unless it has to do with affecting what you do.
Speaker 4: Inside of football.
Speaker 7: Now, Lina, when you leave out this building, if you want to go and you got six girlfriends, don't care. I'm my business. I'm my business. If you want to go drink, not my business. Not my business. If you want to go cheat on your wife, ain't my business. But if that is affecting what you do in the building, it becomes my business because your job ultimately intertwines with my job. You see what I'm saying. So that's when it becomes a problem. And that's why people say, well Mike did this. It never affected what they did in the field. It never it never affected, it never impacted in a negative way what we were as a team.
Speaker 5: And in most I'd say eighty maybe eighty percent of being a leader or eighty percent.
Speaker 6: Of in a locker room is the work and the work ethic.
Speaker 4: Because if you work hard, the respect comes from that.
Speaker 5: You got to be good, right, You can't be yes, you can't be a mediocre player or you know, an okay player and be a leader.
Speaker 6: I don't think. I think You've got to be really good at your position.
Speaker 5: And then you have to do the unspoken work, the film work, the like a Sean Lee kind of guy, right like, really good at his position, didn't talk much, but was always in the film room and was always working extra and always doing the extra work. And then you develop people gravitate towards that because they admire that and they respect that. So then that's how you build kind of that following in the locker room. Or do you or have you ever seen a leader that's a leader that kind of had a reputation of.
Speaker 6: He didn't really do the work, but helly, he's a hell of a player. And you know, are there are there different types or do you have to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to. I'll tell you off there. Okay, I'll tell you off there because I don't want to. But but some of your favorites, some of your favorite cowboys, at least in the time that I was a part of the team, and I've been coming to a team, some of your favorite cowboys who were quote unquote the leaders of the team.
Speaker 4: You ain't want to follow that junk.
Speaker 5: But were they leaders to the locker Everybody has their own opinion outside no right facing like, oh.
Speaker 6: He's a leader, he's a leader.
Speaker 5: But when you really, when you really get to know, like the people in the locker room, like what we're going to talk.
Speaker 6: About off air.
Speaker 5: I know some of the guys you're gonna say, right, and they were good, Right, they're good and they were they were good players like you were, Like, not only were a good player, they were some of the best players on the team in the league. But were they but were they leaders or were they just leaders to the public?
Speaker 6: Did they leave the locker room or was it kind of.
Speaker 4: Like they had a following.
Speaker 7: Okay, let me say that they had a following, but they didn't have the whole locker they didn't have the whole.
Speaker 8: Locker room, and that somebody like in the case of Martin, he was probably a good leader, but was he just a good leader to the offensive lineman? I mean as a guy, you know, Donovan Wilson gonna follow Zach Martin that kind of thing. Is it more uh, you know, broken up.
Speaker 6: Like that, segmented in position groups?
Speaker 7: It could be, like it definitely could be. But like we're talking about offensive lineman. I remember a couple of years ago when the Nighters would talk about, uh, Trent Williams, they was, no, he's a leader, he's an offensive lineman. They said when Trent spoke, we all listened. When Trent said something office defense whoever you you you you, you turned your attention to what he was saying. So it could it couldn't You know? Yes, at times it could be segmented like that, but there are offensive lineman who would command the attention of the team bye.
Speaker 4: Bye by their work. The work comes first.
Speaker 7: Let me say that you don't get any respect from anybody on this on this level, if if, if the productivity is not there, yeah, if they don't, they don't, if they if you, if you will, bum hush.
Speaker 8: Well we've talked before. I think we've kind of talked about it's what some of the struggles of this team. Then the locker room leadership. So you know, I hate to see these guys leave, and I do think they were good leaders, but maybe it is time for new blood.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's been a thirty year drought.
Speaker 7: If that, if we're if we're basing it on that, you know what I'm what I'm saying like there hasn't been enough leadership to get some over the hump, all right.
Speaker 5: So another question that's related to that, can some of these guys are leaving like you said there's turnover. There's young guys that are gonna step in and kind of fill these roles, and some of them will. I think there's some guys that say vocally I'm gonna be the now that he's gone.
Speaker 6: I think there's some.
Speaker 5: Guys that build that following and just organically become a leader.
Speaker 6: Can let's just say, let's just say.
Speaker 5: Dorn Blam, we pull him out in are right, Like, he's a young talent, he's good. I don't know anything about his work ethic or anything like that. But can if you start getting a following in the locker room, can that translate into confidence on the field and taking you to the next level of your game.
Speaker 6: Have you ever seen that happen?
Speaker 7: Yeah, because what happens is when you get a following, now everyone's watching.
Speaker 4: So now I have to be out of work harder, right, I have to be here.
Speaker 7: I have to know what I'm talking about because the following comes in and go, hey, hey, Douran, what we have on this coverage?
Speaker 4: What's the call? If I don't know, I lose my following.
Speaker 7: Like that's the part about the following is when they when they need answers, when they need understanding.
Speaker 4: They come to me and I have to be able to.
Speaker 6: Provide that for the mentor and all of that.
Speaker 7: Right, So, now when I'm able to go out there or or it's it's in that it's in that meeting, and this has happened. I've seen this happen before. It's in that meeting where whether it's office defense, whether it's team office defense, or it's a position meeting, and the coach is saying something and then that guy goes, hold on, coach.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no, no, no, no, play it again. Now we should be in this or that was the call.
Speaker 7: And coach goes, you know what you're right now that like it's that type of thing. People looking like, oh he really knows his stuff, you know what I'm saying. When it's when you're you know, sometime when you're in that meeting room and and and like I said, coach is calling things out.
Speaker 4: Coach is calling things out.
Speaker 7: Now you're looking at it and it's saying, oh, wow, I don't know, I don't know, I don't have the answers. And now looking at you like, well then I can't trust you.
Speaker 4: I can't I can't.
Speaker 7: Follow a man who don't know what he's doing. If he knows what he's doing, I can follow. But if he if he's if he's questioning what he has to do, then I'm gonna question him and what I have to do. So now I gotta find a new leader. And so when you have those guys that are able to set that type of tone, the following growth, the following growth, and once you have a following now you look around and you go, oh, I am an example. Now, so now I gotta watch the extra film. I gotta be in the weight room, I gotta be here on time, I gotta practice, I gotta do all these things because I look around and it was just about me. Now I got seven eight guys saying what you think we're counting on? You were coming to you for the answers. And that's when that that that's when you can kind of morph into that uh, into that leader. But it's it's it's the expectations.
Speaker 8: It can't be I'm the guy.
Speaker 4: It's gotta be trying to give me trouble.
Speaker 7: Na get me, Kurt, You're not gonna get They're not gonna get me. You're not gonna get me out. I'm just saying is just be a leader. You have to tell everybody that you're the leader.
Speaker 4: Just be it. Everyone will be a leader.
Speaker 6: Kirk, don't tell us you're the leader.
Speaker 4: Everyone will know you.
Speaker 6: Just keep doing this.
Speaker 5: This work all right, well, fellas, it was fun this. Hopefully we'll have some big news, some big free agent signing in the next week.
Speaker 6: We can talk about next week. If not, who knows what we'll.
Speaker 4: Talk about draft something.
Speaker 5: I'm sure somebody upstairs will say something that we'll be able to, you know, maybe the MAVs will make another move.
Speaker 7: Something completely random. Did you see what Southwest did about what I was driving in? Southwest? Is crazy? At least we didn't trade Lucas stop. You guys lost a lot of customers with that new policy with a sponsor.
Speaker 4: Sorry, if you are there, they're not American.
Speaker 6: Let's go, I will I will fly American Now.
Speaker 5: I used to be on the other side because of the free bag policy.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm thanks American yepporting the Cowboys because here we go. All right, fellas, good stuff. We will be back next Thursday, same time, same But.
Speaker 7: What maybe oh I'm joking?
Speaker 4: Okay, what is it?
Speaker 6: When does you drop another spots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, talking about it.
Speaker 6: What is the draft?
Speaker 5: April twenty six eight, So we have a month and a half before the draft.
Speaker 6: So we'll start getting into draft talk.
Speaker 8: Soon sixty five, start breaking down that film for us.
Speaker 6: I will yeah, I'll get you by. I got big working on my book for.
Speaker 7: For several months, working to Good Draft magazine, right, yes, deadline this week?
Speaker 8: Yeah, when's it come out?
Speaker 4: Deadline?
Speaker 8: Yeah, probably by the time he gets online, and did probably be first part of April, first.
Speaker 4: Part of April.
Speaker 6: Who all's contributing this year?
Speaker 8: All the normal writers, you know, Kyle's doing a lot of the work. Tommy Mickey Patrick on Bold.
Speaker 6: Good deal you.
Speaker 8: Oh sure, we got to plug yourself.
Speaker 15: You're quiet here, but hey yeah, Leading magazine. No, he just they know that's right, They know you got to say it. They know no that need to know.
Speaker 9: No drop the draft is the twenty fourth, twenty fourth there it is twenty four four, twenty six.
Speaker 6: You go twenty seven, twenty two nine.
Speaker 9: You will be very disappointed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well twenty six you'll be good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you'll be like the first the first part fourth Jesus is gonna quick.
Speaker 5: It's in Green Bay this year how many people do you think are going that you know, I have heard about lambeau and the mystique in the area of lambeau Field, and they go to this draft and they get there and they.
Speaker 6: Go this is a terrible decision. There's nothing to do in.
Speaker 9: Green Bay, Like I want to know where all these people are going to stay, right Milwaukee shuttling.
Speaker 5: Yes, but it's like I guarantee you there's going to be a large number of people that are going to go in.
Speaker 6: Just be like, this is it.
Speaker 4: Cheose it up?
Speaker 9: Amazing stadium, Like we went to Green Bay and stayed in Appleton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hey, don't knock Apple.
Speaker 4: That's it. Them airbnbs around the stadium going to.
Speaker 6: Be man lit. You ain't lied. I would take vacation and be like, take.
Speaker 4: It for take it for a week.
Speaker 6: For a week, I'm going to Mexico.
Speaker 5: All right, We'll be back next week. Hopefully tune in to see if we make it or not.
Speaker 6: Hanging with the Boys we out.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.