Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The NBA Finals are almost here and every play could be the one that changes everything. This is the NBA Playoffs where heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with DraftKings Sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, you live it. Back your favorite team, ride with your clutch, time killer, bet on the buzzer beaters, the breakout performances, the game winning threes, from player props to same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. The New York Knicks, after beating the Celtics are up to plus three sixty, is the second best odds to win the title. Surprisingly, the Pacers back at plus six hundred because my initial thought on that series is I want to pick the Pacers. But some interesting championship oods right now. New to the game, no sweat, Download the DraftKings Sportsbook, gap bet just five dollars and if your bet wins, you'll score three hundred dollars in bonus bets. It's that easy. I don't know the DraftKings Sportsbook app and use code hoops. That's code hoops hoops for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. When you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings, the Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one hundred gambler. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why to four six seven three six y nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort. In Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKG dot co. Slash audio. All right, well, doing to hoops tonight. You're at the volume heavy Thursday. Everybody hope all you guys are having a great week. Well. The New York Knicks, with their season on the line, played the best game that they've played in this postseason from start to finish. This is a team that's had a lot of success in this postseason, but it's been pretty uneven. Even their wins, especially in the Celtics series, felt like all of them came from substantial deficits where they played poorly for the most part, but then played great in these short bursts. A wired to wire dominant performance by the New York Knicks kind of changing the way they were defending as well. We'll talk a lot about that and how it translates to Game six, as well as how it could translate forward to a potential NBA Final series. Lots of interesting stuff we're going to get into tonight that at the tail end of the show, we're going to take ten to fifteen minutes of mail bag questions from you guys. You guys know the drill before we get started. Subscribe to the Hoops and I YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter at underscore JSNLTS. You guysn't miss you announcements. Don't forget about a podcast feed where you get your podcast under Hoops Tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave a rating in a review. On that front, Jackson is doing great work on our social media feeds. Twitter Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok. Make sure you guys follow us there, and then, like I mentioned off the top, get those mail bag questions into the chat so that we can hit them at the tail end of the show. Any specific angles of the series you guys want to dig deeper into, anything's fair game, you could drop them in the chat. Also, when we finish here tonight, we're heading over to playback. That's playback dot tv slash hoops tonight. That's where we take callers, we watch film. It's more informal, we just talk hoops. We kind of hang out more as a community, and I've been really enjoying those those streams. So make sure you guys hop over there with us when we finish tonight on YouTube. All right, let's talk some basketball. So the big takeaway in terms of the schematic difference between Game five and Game six, or Game four and Game five, and again, like most of the case when it comes to situations like this, is just the natural swings of urgency that take place in a playoff series. I feel like we've had fewer of those kinds of swings in this playoff run compared to some recent years. I think that probably has something to do with the overall level of physicality. But this is kind of what happens in playoff series. His urgency kind of oscillates back and forth, especially between two teams that are relatively evenly matched, at least when it comes to their ceiling, like these two teams, and the Knicks just came out with a ton of urgency Jalen Brunson immediately it comes out with a six to zero run, just obviously bringing the aggression that he wasn't bringing down the stretch of Game four, he kind of had a different feel in terms of that intensity. Tyre's Halliburton just completely no shows the game against some ball pressure, and here we are sitting at three two.
Speaker 1: But what were the specifics?
Speaker 2: So the Knicks really went with a bunch of super aggressive coverages tonight, tons of ball pressure, tons of denial trying to prevent Tyre's Haliburton from even getting the ball. This is something we talked a lot about going into the series, and we did see briefly in at various points throughout the series, especially down the stretch of Game three when they got a win, but just out the gates tonight, they were able to get Tyre's Halliburton to be way less aggressive just by bringing a ton of pressure, not just in the denials, but also when he had the ball. It kind of felt like Tyreese was getting rid of the ball just a beat too early tonight, like where he would get downhill on a ball screen and he'd already be jumping to turn around and pass out of it before he's even really threatened in any way as a scorer. And that's the impact of pressure. Pressure makes ball handlers uncomfortable. Another big thing you saw at night was off ball denials whenever anybody picked up their dribble so or had a ball in the triple threat, so like if you threw the ball to the high post, or if a guy happened to pick up his dribble because he overpenetrated and needed to stop boom. Everybody was face guarding, denying, trying to prevent those easy kickouts, and just in general, they made Indiana way way, way more uncomfortable than they did in previous moments in the series. In ball screens, they were blitzing, they were showing up high, just really getting aggressive on the ball. You could hear TIBs in that first or second time out on the broadcast when they show what he was saying in the huddle, he was like aggressive, aggressive, aggressive on our blitzes, on our shows, and our pressure and our denials aggressive. The point being you can take advantage of the dynamic that's at play in terms of the urgency and it being an elimination game.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of.
Speaker 2: Going with super aggressive coverages in this type of game. You're at home in front of Madison Square Garden and that crowd is just ravenous. Right, You're facing elimination, so you know you're gonna get a certain level of urgency out of your guys. The refs are gonna let you get away with a lot of physicality in this type of game, and most of all, it prevents you from coming out lethargic. These coverages puts you in situations where you're asked to sprint and be aggressive, whether that's in a ball pressure situation or just because you're rotating around off the ball after the pass comes out. It requires intensity to be that aggressive, and so it kind of just brings it out of you out of necessity, right, and Indiana really just came apart at the seams to give you guys an idea. Their previous series high and turnovers was fourteen at twenty tonight averaged just ten and a half turnovers per game in this series. They doubled that in tonight's game. That's the level of discomfort they caused. Indiana scored just forty five points in the first half. Remember, guys, first quarter of Game four they had forty three points. So just two completely different Pacers offenses in the last two games. Because of that intensity and physicality. And again, like Tyres Alliburton, as he's known to do at times, and it's been less often in this postseason run than it was last year, but when teams bring super intense defensive efforts, he can no show a game. And that's what he did tonight, and that you know, when that happens, it's really difficult for Indiana to score effectively. And it is something to keep in mind for Oklahoma City. We'll talk more about that later should we get to that to that point, if if Indiana can close it out. But I thought everyone for the Knicks was great on that, especially on the defensive end of the floor.
Speaker 1: Tonight.
Speaker 2: I specifically want to shout out Mitchell Robinson he didn't get a ton of burn in the second half as Tibbs went more in the direction of Josh Hart and Josh I thought played well tonight. I thought it was one of Josh's better games in the series. It's kind of like making some of the shots he was missing earlier, grabbing some of the contested rebounds he was missing earlier in the series. Right type of game to play, Josh. And there was a couple runs that they gave up at various points, but in the first half in particular, when they were making that initial push, I thought Mitchell Robinson was everywhere. The big thing that really stands out to me with Mitch's his recovery athleticism. You saw a couple of his like transition defense sequences where he gets a little too much dip on his chip and he like just straight up like attacks someone in the air and commits a foul, but again preventing the easy layup and making the guys actually earn those points at the line. But in general, in every single one of those situations, whether it's a ball screen where he's pursuing, or he's in rotation, or he's in just like a situation where he's on the ball while everyone else is denying. He just brings this level of athleticism and kind of it just feels like he just engulfs whoever he's going after in those situations.
Speaker 1: He's one of them.
Speaker 2: Was fun to watch defensive players in the league when he's really going. And I you know, Mitchell Robbinson is an interesting player in terms of how he kind of fits in the league beyond the scope of just a backup center. There are some issues obviously in terms of maintaining motor over larger minute loads and whether or not he has the offensive utility to be a factor in a more, you know, featured role. But when he when he comes off the bench, and obviously for the last two games in a starting role, and he's when he's when he's out there in those limited minutes, he just brings this absurd amount of energy and it can just really be disruptive for their opponent. I thought Brunson and Cat were both phenomenal and offense tonight again, Brunson kind of a classic like we're not losing type of attitude, Like you could just see it in his body language and demeanor right out the gates. He knew that he didn't do enough at down the stretch of Game four. We watched the end of Game four after on playback a couple of nights ago, and it's just kind of weird how Brunson just wasn't looking to be aggressive down the stretch and was just kind of passing out of some situations that we typically see him.
Speaker 1: Shoot out of. But he fixed that right away.
Speaker 2: I mean, we were talking about Nie Smith not solving him, so to speak, but really wearing him down over the course of the series.
Speaker 1: Strong signed tonight that he came.
Speaker 2: Out and just straight up bested that matchup immediately out the gates, and he's going to have to do that again in Game six for the Knicks to win. And then Karl Anthony Towns. He's been basically unguardable since the fourth quarter of Game three. It seems like it's really clicked for him that none of these dudes can guard him in terms of one on one kind of face up situations. He can just rip through whether it's right or left, and just power through contact and get all the way to the bucket. And you could tell Indiana's trying really hard to send him to his left hand but he was able to power through to his right hand several times today and just get up through contact and he just like rips his arms up through the people that are reaching and grabbing, and he just has a gift for finishing through contact. He was amazing tonight. Really just a wired to wire dominant performance for the Knick, and that if you're looking for a bit of optimism, it's the first time in this series that they've had that type of wire wire performance. And the last time they had a wired to wire type of performance like that was in Game six against the Celtics. If you guys remember when they really were peaking at that point in the series, and they're going to need to maintain that peak if they're gonna have any chance to win Game six. Game six will be the toughest game that New York has played in the series. We talked after Game four. These two teams, when they're at their best are pretty similar. You could even argue that New York ceiling is maybe a touch higher just because Kat and Jalen Brunson are more reliable as one on one players if they end up in slow down situations than a Siakam or a Halliburton. But the difference is I know what we're gonna get from Indiana on Saturday. We're going to get the Pacers very best. They're gonna come out the gates with a ton of pressure and pace and aggressiveness and energy and all of it. I feel pretty confident Haliburton's gonna have a big bounce back game. They are going to be the best version of the Pacers on Saturday night. With the Knicks, I literally have no idea what to expect this Saturday, and I would imagine most of you Knicks fans feel the same, Like they're just as likely to roll over and get beat by thirty as they are to win the game. And that's what makes them really difficult to get a read on for this type of game, because we've just seen so many times, even in series that they've won in this postseason look bad and it for extended stretches, and so it's just kind of weird. I just don't know what we're gonna get. But to be clear, I do know that New York can win that game. In terms of the schematics, I would try those same super aggressive coverages again. It's the only time in the series they've had sustained defensive success. Even going back to our playback session last night, when we started watching some of the OKC Indiana tape just in prep for a theoretical finals, there were a lot of Oklahoma City had a lot of success. They were also able to get Tyree Saliburton to just completely diseng with that type of pressure. It might just be your best chance to beat the Pacers. And also it just keeps you aggressive. I mean, like, think of it like this. If you're gonna give up a bunch of advantages anyway, because when you're in your traditional defense you get lost too often, might as well get lost in the context of everybody flying around and trying to pressure the ball and see if it can cause enough payoffs to prevent those sorts of easy kind of tick tack toe sequences where Indiana gets wide open shots over and over again. I also think trying to bring the worst out of Tyris Aliburn is the best way to give yourselself a chance to win in that building. If you let him get comfortable, I think you're just gonna lose. And so again, ball pressure denial, same sort of stuff. In Game six, I think you have to lean into that. But again, the Knicks have clearly demonstrated in this series at two different points down the stretch, at Game four and then again tonight, that they can shake Indiana's offensive foundation with their defense in Game six. If they do that, they've got a very good chance to win. For the Pacers, it's just about not allowing New York's pressure to dislodge them from their offense. Haliburton's gotta shed the denials. Be physical on the ball, throw the guy out of the way, go get the basketball. Look to be more aggressive early and often in the game. Don't pass the ball too early out of your attacks. If you pass the ball too early, if the defense hasn't committed to you in any real way, there's no advantage that you're creating. You create advantage by being a threat. You be a threat by looking to get further deeper into your attacks. Just that was just completely missing from Tyre's Halliburton tonight. Make the defense react to you. One of the things we saw in film, and this is something that I've talked about a lot in this postseason dating back to the Cavs series, But I really like when Haliburton is getting denied and facing a lot of pressure and he's going through one of those stretches where he's being a little bit more uninvolved. Get him involved in the action, have him be a screener. We saw some examples of that again in the Oklahoma City tape last night where in the one clutch game they played a lot of nemhard on ball because Halliburton was struggling with dort Well, they just used how Leburton as a screener and like you know, double dragon stack type of actions to try to keep him involved. And again, like when you and are in a situation where you're like hugging, and you said, there were so many examples tonight where like they're showing replays and like Nix are literally like hugging pacers off the ball, And again that's just playoff basketball. That's kind of contact. They've been allowing off ball more or less this entire postseason, in every series. But you've got to find a way to, uh to have success in that context. And if you have an on ball guys call it in them hard or siakam and you have you have Halliburton go up to set the screen and Michal Bridges is hugging him. Mcal's probably not gonna help on screens, and so there's a lot of advantages you can create there by either having the guy turn the corner as Haliburton screening, or if McHale comes off in any way, shape or form, he can then slip out of it and then Tyros Aliburton has an opportunity to attack with an advantage, but he is attacked from Halliburton when he does get his catches, when he does get his opportunities, he cannot just completely disengage from the game offensively the way he did tonight. And then on defense, I'm more or less okay with how they've guarded Jalen Brunson. I thought they could have been a little bit tighter on their help tonight. There were a couple of situations where I thought they were just a step light, especially from the low man position.
Speaker 1: Aaron E.
Speaker 2: Smith obviously can do a better job staying attached. He's won that matchup over the tail end of this series, but Brunson is what he is, and there's only so much you can do. I'm not necessarily worried about the specific coverage there with Kat, though I think they need to throw more resources at him. They have to make him a passer, more aggressive with the double teams earlier with help, put him in a situation where he has to make reads in traffic instead of just allowing him to bulldoze his way to the rim in one on one situations. Once Kat gets his momentum, he's just a bowl in a china shop and he's going to win that battle more often than not. You've got to put him in a situation where he can't get his runway. And the only way you're going to do that is if you bring early help or doubles, and so I want to see a lot of that in Game six. Last note on the Pacers before we get to our questions.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I'm a little concerned about a theoretical Oklahoma City matchup after a little bit of the film that we watched last night and from what I saw tonight. So we've been going back and forth about this, and I haven't really devoted a ton of energy towards watching all of the tape because I want to wait till we know what the actual matchup is. It would be annoying if I did that and then all of a sudden we're covering a Knicks Thunder Finals, right.
Speaker 1: But we've done a little bit of it.
Speaker 2: We watched a little bit of tape last night from Oklahoma City, and I've been thinking through theoretical coverages and stuff like that with Jackson. We've talked in segments on the show, and you know, we came around to being a little more positive in terms of just their ability to pass through Oklahoma City's defense and some of their smaller guards and their ability to slide their feet and stay in front of Shay. But one of the things that we saw last night in the Oklahoma City game is Tyre's Halliburton wanted nothing to do with the basketball down the stretch of a game, and they were just going through Andrew emhard and using Halliburton a little bit as a screener. And they lost that game in a crunch time situation in Indiana. Now context there being substantially earlier in the season, basically a different Pacers team. Nie Smith wasn't even available in that game. There were several sequences when Oklahoma City was pinching off of Ben Mathern, and you could tell the Pacers are just a little bit hesitant to throw that kickout pass because he's not the level of shooter that Nie Smith is, and so like again, the regular season basketball is regular season basketball, and hopefully over the course of a series, Tyres would be more comfortable, but it was a little discouraging to see that he just didn't really seem to be comfortable at all operating with the ball against Oklahoma City's defense. The Knicks, they they've been like occasionally costplaying as a good defense at various points in the season. They have had no sustained defensive success at all at any point in this postseason or in this entire season, dating for from October all the way through to this point. The point being, they are not going to They're not going to be able to reach the level that Oklahoma City can reach on that end of the floor, point being you're going whatever it is you're seeing from New York, it's going to be a substantially harder version of it in the finals if you even get to that point. And so again, step number one is you got to be able to handle this pressure and you got to be able to play Pacers basketball, because if you can't figure it out against the Knicks, you have no chance of figuring it out against the thunder. If I had to pick right now for Game six, I think Indiana wins and wins comfortably. But I absolutely think the Knicks have a chance to win that series or that game. And I think if they do win that game, all of a sudden, they become the favorite to win the series and have a great chance to go to the finals. So if you're a Knicks fan, you just got to think about it in a one game context. Go in on Saturday, and you're in great shape to go to the finals. Go in on Saturday, right, but you guys know the job. It's not going to be easy. That Pacers team and must win games at home as and a literally a buzzsaw. So I think the Pacers are to say bet, but the Knicks absolutely have their chance.
Speaker 3: Blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high octane world of sports, Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming that goes beyond the game. From action pack live events to gripping behind the scenes documentaries, to hard hitting investigative pieces and in depth profiles of athletes, coaches, teams. Vice Sports captures the raw energy, drama, and passion that makes sports truly unforgettable. Catch live events and other exclusive sports programs only on Vice TV. Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to Jackson, and let's get to some questions.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's sort of stay on that Game six, how the Knicks would win topic for a minute here. If the Knicks win Game six, do you think it would be more about their defense and the pressure than the turnovers they were able to generate tonight, or more about the their offensive success via Catz sort of continued dominance in Brunson.
Speaker 2: I think that the Knicks offense kind of feeds off of their defense, their team that I think has been at their best offensively this season when they're running out in transition. So I think they're kind of connected to a certain extent. I'm not particularly worried about Brunston and cat being able to generate offense. There's a certain amount of like role player shooting variable that you have to factor in. Like I mean, I thought the four jump shots that Landry Shammitt and Duce McBride hit tonight were huge, Like they each hit a catch and shoot three and then they each hit a kind of a tough off the dribble jump shot in the mid range that were important shots Seamit's was weird he like jumped way back and almost had his feet on the three point line. But like there's a certain amount of like that role player shooting that could be a variable in that sort of game. But I think it's all about the defense. Like to put it very simply, the pacers are a great shot generating machine, and if they allow that machine to operate, they're just going to make the shots and you're going to lose. The only chance you have is to disrupt that engine, dislodge them from their offensive foundation to where they're not moving the ball as well, they're not playing with as much pace, they're starting to second guess their decision making. Tyres Haliburton wants no parts of it. That's where you have the opportunity to really slow the game down, at least on that side of the floor, and then just pushing off of missus, pushing off of turnovers, and when it comes down to a close game late in the half court, you like your chances with Jalen Brunston and Karl Anthony Towns, right.
Speaker 1: So I think it has more to do with their defense.
Speaker 4: So you were saying, if you were going to finish the sentence in like an old school sports caster, away the Knicks win Game six if if they're able to make Tyres Haliburton uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yes, if they're able to I think in general, dislodging Indiana from their foundation on offense, meaning like taking away some of the easy transition opportunities, preventing the like, oh, they're seventeen on the shot clock and they've already gotten into action and created a wide open catch and shoot situation, like ball pressure denial, preventing them from getting into their stuff early, making them work deeper into the clock, and making them play one on one.
Speaker 4: What is your take on the Knicks looking so good in the last couple games, sort of extending leads with Brunt in the minutes with Brunson, it's been on the bench.
Speaker 2: This has been something we looked into in the numbers on playback one of the Knights a couple It was like a couple of nights ago or something like that. Basically, when Brunson's on and Kat's off, they're good, And when Kat's on and Brunson's off, they're good and when both of them have been on they've been a net negative at this point in the postseason. And it's really not all that complicated. There's a there's a simplified order of operations. When you have one ball handler on the floor, that dude just knows he's got to be super aggressive, and that can like any basketball player knows that, if you play alongside a bunch of ball handling talent, it can be a more complicated process of like figuring out rhythm, like sometimes you overpass, sometimes you underpass, Like there's a lot of like who is it that's looking to be aggressive in this part of the game. Having staggering gives you a situation where it's like, hey, here are the keys of the offense you're working you know, yeah, Deuce is out there, Michale's out there on second side action, but we're playing through you. And then it's a simple fact that like every other New York Knicks player that touches the floor is a dude that heats on the defensive end and flies around in rotation. And so if you have four of those dudes on the floor instead of three, you're just a better defensive team. And honestly, That's the thing that stood out in the numbers two when we looked it's just the next defense with both of them on the floor is just rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, for sure on the point of the next defense in the ball pressure as that was definitely the big storyline from the night. Why do you think they haven't done this earlier? Is it a coach coaching tid not? His Tim's philosophy right now is easy word about the personnel, like what has taken them so long to make this kind of adjustment.
Speaker 2: Every basketball team has an identity. We've talked about this a lot with regards to the Pacers and the Thunder. We've talked about it, even with like Golden State. There's like certain teams where it's like, we have a goal to maximize our talent, grab every little bit of low hanging fruit, and so this is the way that we're looking to go. But those teams have depth. The Warriors consistently have had you know, twelve to thirteen role players that they've trusted to play big minutes. The Pacers have had a bench they can go to. The Thunder have a deep bench they can go to. I think that Tibbs has looked at his team and been like, I trust six of these dudes, so maybe seven. So we need to keep their minutes high. And so as a result of that, I can't be asking them to blitz and deny and pick up full cord and do all that sort of stuff. Urgency brought that out, But I think another part of it too is like getting to the like I thought Precious to a shift that he played tonight was pretty effective. I think he came in late too, but the when he came in that third quarter stretch, I thought he was effective. The Delawn Wright minutes have been effective on the defensive end throughout the series, and the bits that he's been playing well Andrew Sham it's been like good, like flat out goods for them. So like digging deeper into the bench and putting those guys in a position where they're playing more roles, like eighteen minutes out of Duce McBride, fourteen minutes out of Lander sham At, ten minutes out of the Lawn right. That keeps everyone else's minutes down. Cat played thirty six minutes, no other starter played over thirty four. You put yourself in a situation where because you're using your depth. You're more comfortable picking up well court denying being that physical. I think they would have done it anyway under the circumstances, just because of the intensity of the moment, and we have seen in this postseason for stretches they really ratcheted up defensively and they look great. But I think just going with a shorter rotation has caused the Knicks, and this has been a thing they've done most of the season. Going with a shorter rotation most of the season has put them in a situation where their base scheme has had to involve a certain amount of passivity on the defensive end of the floor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that sort of speaks to a bit, like really shows the flaw in some of Tibbs's thinking. It's like he hasn't even even not not that you would if you were looking on paper, you would necessarily think guys like Delon Wright, Precious to Chewa, and Landry Shammitt would be playoff game changers. But it's sort of like the moment those guys came in, they were effective. It is a little not an indictment, It's not that too strong.
Speaker 1: Of a word.
Speaker 4: I don't mean it that strongly, but it does sort of illustrate I think some of the issues that Knicks fans have with TIBs. If he plays his start at such such heavy minutes, doesn't necessarily give these other guys a chance to carve out a role for themselves. Because the moment those guys are given the minutes, in the biggest moment of the season, they have been effective.
Speaker 2: There's a proven way to make basketball easy that Indiana and Oklahoma City have capitalized on too. What I mean by that is like, it's not like you if you look at Indiana's roster, how many people were super high on Obi Toppen before he played for the Pacers. How many people were super high on Thomas Bryant before he played for the Pacers. Like Ben Athern's a guy who's been integrated at various points throughout throughout his young career as being kind of a shot chucker and inefficient.
Speaker 1: You know, a guy who can't play off ball.
Speaker 2: When you put when you put these guys into a system, a system that has simple rules. Here's how we run, here's what we do on offense, Here's the way we defend. When you put these guys in situations where like any basketball player can be successful as long as they follow these basic rules and these basic reads, you can turn you know, fringe NBA talent. I'm not trying to say these guys are fringe NBA town, but relative to what we would consider to be like the types of rock solid, playoff bench guys that we've thought about over the years, you know, like Bruce Brown with the Nuggets, or you know, Livingston and Nigudala with the Warriors back in the day, or whoever. Like these guys are benefiting from the culture that comes from the top down. So like to your point, like if Tips started the season and said we're gonna pick up full court and we're gonna we're gonna deny and we're gonna be super physical with our ball pressure and we're gonna run in transition like crazy, then you get into a situation where you're running a ten eleven man rotation from the start of the year. We might look at Landry Shammitt and de Lawn right, and these guys pressures to Chua as like different basketball players in the big picture because they fit into like this scheme and it's like just TIBs won a different route. TIBs went that I want to lean on my top end talent as much as possible, So we're gonna be a team that cuts corners on defense all year long. And so guess what, they've been inconsistent on defense in this postseason. It's kind of like, you know, if there's one thing that has stood out to me in a big way, and it's it's funny because this is something I've always believed. This is this is something I've always believed, but I just it's at certain points I'll like undervalue it, you know, especially as we've been thinking more about offense recently.
Speaker 1: Getting a team to just.
Speaker 2: Play the right way on a night in, night out basis during the regular season matters just does. And we are looking down the barrel of most likely Indiana Oklahoma City Finals, and I would argue the Thunder played harder all season than anybody. And I'd argue the Pacers played harder over the second half of the season than anybody out east, and here they are looking sharper and getting more of that low hanging fruit and winning basketball games as a result.
Speaker 4: Well, next question, does Cats dominance in the back half of this series change your thought? Your perspective if the Knicks should trade him this summer.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of a matchup related thing here going on with Indiana, which is like none of their dudes are big enough to handle him. So I think like there are versions of matchups that you could see on a series by series basis that like, for instance, like let's say that the Knicks made it to the finals, the Thunder are a more physical team with a with a pretty strong frontline defensively, now with Chet and Isaiah Hartenstein, it's very possible that he looks ineffectual offensively in a series like that. So, like, I don't want to sit here and say that, I don't want to sit here and undercut the work that Cat's done down the stretch of the series. He has found out the Indiana kank gard and he's having a lot of success now bulling his way to the basket, and that I think matters. But the flip side of it is is that everything is matchup dependent, and we just have so many examples over the years of Cat kind of struggling. And here's the thing, guys, Let's see how Cat defends in Game six, Like it's a big important game on the road must win elimination game. Like he goes out in game six and he defends the way that he needs to defend and he puts in you know, twenty five and fifteen, then yeah, we can start having a different conversation as he's now done it in a high stake situation to put himself in a situation where he can go to the finals. But like to this point, if we like really zoom out from this postseason, it's it's been a little bit more complicated than just here are his points per game totals for sure.
Speaker 4: Last before we go over to playback the draft, the DraftKings line on Game six is Pacers minus four. I'm gonna put you on the spot who is going to win games? If if you had to pick right now, who is gonna win Game six?
Speaker 1: I think the Pacers will win and they'll cover. I think I didn't pick the Pacers over the.
Speaker 2: Knicks because of like anti Knicks anything or any sort of like even matchup related stuff. I just think the Pacers are a better team. I think they're a better team on both ends of the floor because they're more more consistently at their ceiling. I do think the Knicks can win that game. But I just think the Pacers are safe for bet because they've demonstrated that throughout this season. They've also just been consistently an absolute buzz saw and like must win games at home, and I just think that I just think that's gonna be one of the most difficult games that you could ever ask a team to win, is go on the road to Indiana, they get, they get to go to the finals if they win, Like, yeah, it's gonna it's gonna be it's gonna be rough. And so again, it's not that I don't think the Knicks can win. I just think the Pacers are far and away the safe bet, and I think it's more likely than not that they win big, Like i'd be looking at alternate spread bets in a game like that. All right, guys, that's all I have for tonight. Again, we're heading over to playback, So let's playback dot tv slash Hoops tonight. We'll be taking callers and hanging out and having fun. Make sure you guys head over there. For those of you guys who are not following us, we'll be back on YouTube Saturday night. We've got thirty eight of the last forty one nights, but we are finally done going every night, so we will be back on Saturday night for Game six of the Eastern Conference Finals between the Pacers and the Knicks.
Speaker 1: I will see you guys then. What's up guys?
Speaker 2: As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting OOPS tonight. They would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review.
Speaker 1: As always, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Guys supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I'd really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: The volume