Speaker 1: What's his way up at Angela. He on a Wealth Wednesday. So Stacy Tisday is here.
Speaker 2: Happy Wealth Wednesdays, everybody, And it is week two of Wealth Wednesdays, celebrating Black Business Month. And we have yet another slacker for you today. We have Everett Taylor and he is the CEO of Kickstarter, and we are just so incredibly thrilled to have you here and just knowing about who you were anyway and knowing your backstory, I just have to tell people you started what your mom reached out to a classified ad when you were fourteen years old?
Speaker 3: Fourteen? Wow, you did you well researched?
Speaker 2: Oh I know you better than you.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen, we got our own AI right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were fourteen years old?
Speaker 3: I was fourteen? Yeah, what happened? Yeah? I was.
Speaker 4: I was running the streets doing things that I shouldn't have been doing.
Speaker 5: And imagine that, Yes, she applied for you.
Speaker 3: She knows. She called them up.
Speaker 4: It was like, my son needs the interview here, and they gave me an interview.
Speaker 3: I was fourteen years old, They didn't.
Speaker 4: It was for a very junior marketing role for a nonprofit called Eastern National. And yeah, they didn't even realize I was fourteen, And at the end of the interview, I was like, oh, he was like, can you start Monday at like nine am?
Speaker 3: And I was like I can't.
Speaker 4: I got school and he thought I was a college sup And I was like, no, I'm a freshman in high school. But they gave me an opportunity still to go with that job. And that job changed my life because it introduced me to marketing. And I tell a lot of people when it comes to wealth creation, figuring out what your gift is, what your skill is, what is the thing that you do better than everybody else? And to me, it was like you know Ray Charles on the Keys. To me when I started doing marketing, Yeah, it was like just such a natural thing. So that completely changed my life trajectory because it got me out of the hood. It got me out of Southside Richmond, and I went into a space with people that were college educated. I was meeting people from all around the world, and so that completely changed the trajectory of my life.
Speaker 3: Being able to get the opportunity to shout out to my mom.
Speaker 1: I have to say to your point of there's a lot of people who when you're younger. Just one thing like that can change everything. There's so many people that are great at like hustling, but that turned into a different type of hustle. Is what can actually make you flourish. And sometimes it is just being around the right people because you could be brilliant and so smart, but if that's not used in the right way, then who knows what can happen?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we're celebrating Black Business Month and now you're the CEO of Kickstarter, but we're not going to get there yet because you're a serial serial entrepreneur and to continue that journey or don't want to dwell on this, but you had some real challenges and I know you experienced homelessness in high school, but at nineteen you're like, I know what I'm going to do and you started your own company. How do how did you have belief all the things that you experience is where did the belief that you could do that come from?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: I hate talking about this a little bit because some things are just God given, you know, and some things you're just built for it, you know, And like it's you can put yourself in the same circumstances as someone else, but you might have this unwavering belief in yourself. For me, I was always super confident. I was always even when I was young, you know, I was super confident in myself. I had this mindset of I'm gonna do better. I'm going to do something different. You know, I'm not going to just be stuck here doing the same things that everyone else did. And so for me, I've always had this incredible sense of awareness about my abilities but also confidence in what I could do. And so even at a young age, I was like, no, I'm going to do something else. And when I was nineteen, you know, I was working a minimum wate job at Joanne Fabrics Fabrics, and it was terrible because I would literally go go there and just the gas money and then grabbing some lunch. I'm like, did I even make any money today?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 4: And so, you know, during my freshman year of college, I dropped out. After my freshman year, you know, I threw parties and I enjoyed doing parties and events, and so I was like, Hey, let me try to start doing my own parties here in Richmond. And then you know, I learned how to code a little bit. During my freshman year. I went to Virginia Tech and a couple of my buddies. We all built a platform called easy Events, which was a ticketing platform.
Speaker 3: It was no event right already existed, and I didn't know. I didn't know. I didn't know event bright existed.
Speaker 4: And you know, we can have conversations of knowing the value of what you've built because I didn't know at the time. But yeah, we built that, and yeah, we sold the company a couple of years later.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you when you started Easy Events, right, did y'all have the sense to be like, Okay, we're going to do a business plan.
Speaker 5: Or what is it? Just let's do it and figure it out.
Speaker 4: You know what's crazy is that I really fumbled my bag on this one. So I started doing events right, and I didn't have an LC. I was doing everything cash whatever. And then what I realized was, you know, people were starting to sell like this is like two thousand and nine, so people were actually starting to sell event tickets online.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, I need to build that myself.
Speaker 4: And so I hit up a couple homies that I went to school with and they helped me build the platform. And then one of the fathers of one of my co founders, like established the LC for us and did all that, but I didn't know what I was I didn't know what I was doing and what was so crazy. They helped me build it, and then after that I continue to run a business without them, But when I sold it, because of the way that the LC was built, they each of us owned thirty three percent of the company. So despite me building the company, I only got to get thirty three percent of the proceeds. And that's because I didn't know anything about equity and ownership and things like that.
Speaker 2: That's a good lesson right there, year, So don't be so hard on yourself not to build bring up something else painful. But it was sold after that for like a lot more.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, man, she's on it.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was sold for a lot more because I didn't know about the event bright of the world and the other ticketing platforms in the world. And the person that bought it from us was also a serial entrepreneur investor. He knew where he was going to flip it right after, and so I had to learn a really really valuable lesson. Not only did I learn a lesson of like ownership, and equity. Not only did I learn the lesson of taxes and capital gains, but you know, and the other lesson I learned was like being well researched and knowing what you've built and knowing the value of what you've built because people will take advantage of you. And I told myself once that happened, I would never be taking advantage of That's a.
Speaker 5: Good lesson to have learned early on.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: I want to say, because you were so young when you did that, that's valuable.
Speaker 5: It's like paying for education.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the part that you ended up having to give up, but then you went on to education, but to become, like she said, a serial entrepreneur and you launched other businesses. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, so I went and when I learned about that company selling for what it's so for, I was like, Oh, I need to go to Silicon Valley. I need to be in California. And I went to go work with a guy named Sean Ellis who like led growth at like dropped box in event right. That's how he knew about me because it was vent Bright, and you know, he was like this really well known guy in Silicon Valley, and so I learned under him. And while I was learning the ropes of Silicon Valley leading marketing for him, I started building my own companies. And so I started with my first marketing firm, and then we built a company together, and then like over the course of the next few years, I built several, you know, million dollar plus companies.
Speaker 3: I think I did four of them for the age of twenty seven.
Speaker 4: But the difference between me and like my like kind of white counterparts out there in the world was that I felt like I had to build profitable businesses right away.
Speaker 5: You couldn't get investors.
Speaker 4: I couldn't get investors, And so the way that I was thinking about building my companies was like companies that I could go and make money from, like right away, right day one, right where I saw like my white counterparts, you know, I remember like Snapchat, Evan Spiegel, Like they had no they didn't know how they were going to monetize, and they would have these big ideas that turned into these multi billion dollar companies that we used to work.
Speaker 2: We still do with fintech companies. Yeah, and some of these founders, I'm like, people just give you money that you just said oh, I want to do this. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: And the funding environment wasn't like that for people that look like us, and it still isn't in a lot of ways. But you know, for me, I felt like a lot of my creativity was was was dampened because I didn't feel like I could go out there with the big idea and raise a bunch of capital and things like that. So I stuck to trying to build well for myself by building profitable companies that you know, had high ebadah, and I could go and be able to pay myself and take care of my family and make investments.
Speaker 2: So interesting is you put? You know, you got the marketing bug at fourteen, and you've built all these different types of companies. So it hasn't been marketing, you know, I just staying in marketing. At what point did you realize, okay, mate, I might be good at marketing, but I'm just really good at building businesses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you for saying that. I think I do.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think, uh once you've done it a couple of times. So, you know, I started my first company, sold it. I became head of marketing for a startup in Silicon Valley, that sold right, I you know, started a couple of companies that you know, did seven figures in revenue, and like I was like, wow, everything that I'm doing is actually becoming successful. And I'm like, Okay, I think I'm pretty I'm pretty good at this, and that gave me more. I was already confident in myself. But once you have the repetition and you do it over and over and over again, you just learn so many lessons throughout and you cut out the mistakes and you just become more efficient, You become more dangerous at it, you know what I mean. You really become a really great entrepreneur as you're learning. And for me, I was just always super customer obsessed and I just identify different opportunities and I knew how to reach target audiences and build things and scale things, and yeah, the rest was history.
Speaker 2: Something seems different. I've been working a lot all summer with entrepreneurs on creating the mindset for scaling. It's very different than growing black entrepreneurs. And they don't sell their company. That's one of the things. Like they never think, Okay, I'm building something to make something bigger. And I know there's a lot of ownership need in our community. But I think that's one lesson people have to learn a scaling mindset. But you don't seem to have a problem with it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting. It's it depends on what you're what you want and what you're looking for. A lot of people don't realize this, and Angreli, you probably know this. Like when you go raise capital and you have you know, investors, and you have a board, and you know, you split that ownership, Like the board decides how much you get paid, right, the board decides if you get a bonus when you own one hundred percent of your Like, so you could have one hundred million dollar company and be doing two hundred twenty million in profit, and the board is like, oh, you have a half a million dollar salary because we're trying to scale this up to being a multi billion dollar company. That's what they invested in you for. They wanted the outsize impact where you can build a five to ten million dollar business, right that is, say profitable three four five million dollars a year and pay yourself to three million dollars a year and it's a much smaller business than that big business within So it really depends on what you want. Do you want to build a business where you're gonna like create a really great lifestyle business or you know, create you know, like not that outside wealth, or are you going to go for it? And if you go for it, you're probably gonna have to raise a lot of capital and you know you're gonna have to exit, meaning you're gonna have to sell the company. You're gonna have to take the company public, and then that's when you get the money that.
Speaker 3: You really want.
Speaker 5: You may even be forced out.
Speaker 3: You might be forced out.
Speaker 5: You never know what can happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to ask you, with all of this entrepreneurship, you deciding to take this position as CEO Kickstarter, how did that happen?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 4: I'll try to make a long story short. So I was, so I've always had this balance of being an executive and a founder, right, And I think it kind of comes from, you know, that place of understanding that a business could go sideways at any time and you could always lose a job. And so I've always had this like really beautiful balance of doing both. And then I got to a point where where I really wanted to learn and I wanted.
Speaker 3: To really be at businesses at scale.
Speaker 4: And I took a job as a chief marketing officer at Artsy and Artsy is the biggest online platform for art and so I sat there and I really learned. And I still have my other companies, but I was really focused on learning. And when I was there, I reported into a CEO named Mike Steibe, and he really taught me the ropes of what it meant to be a CEO of like a billion dollar global type of company.
Speaker 2: Right, you have to back up because you told him you wanted his job.
Speaker 4: I did tell him, Yeah, I did, because what I what I realized was two things. One was that I had built some really incredible companies, seven to eight figure companies, but I hadn't really built anything at scale. So I really wanted to learn that. The other thing is, for those who don't know what a CMO is, as chief marketing officer, you have a very limited trajectory as a CMO in terms of compensation and opportunities. The people that really get compensated the best are CEOs, Right, So you can hit a wall as a CMO.
Speaker 1: That's what boz of Us Saint John always talks about. When she was a CMO at so many different companies. It's because it's not something that's meant to be like a long term position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it can be.
Speaker 4: It can be, but if you want that, if you want that. But it's a really tough role to be in and I and I really wanted to do a lot more than just be the head.
Speaker 3: Of marketing or a CMO.
Speaker 4: And so I told my CEO at the time that I wanted his job.
Speaker 2: How does somebody respond to.
Speaker 4: That, Well, listen, I was killing it too, so you know. And I told him when he left when he left, and he did eventually left and ran another multi billion dollar company. But I told him that I wanted the role whenever he left, So prepare me to be a CEO, because being a CEO of a small seven to eight figure company is not the same of being at a global tech company, right, So he really taught me that. And then I also told myself, I'm not going to take another CMO role. So I'm getting hit up for CMO roles from some of the biggest companies in the world.
Speaker 3: Which I can't say. Yeah, and I was.
Speaker 4: Turning them down, turning them down, turning them I mean incredible roles, and I meet this woman who was just like, hey, I want to pick your brain and I was like, sure, like black women, I want to support you, and had no idea who she was. At the end of our meeting, she said, actually write for the Financial Times, and I was like, oh wow. She was like, I want to write a story on you. And now this story kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed, and then finally we did it and it came out. Now, if it came out when it was supposed to, I would not be the CEO of Kickstarter.
Speaker 3: But that delay ended up happening right.
Speaker 4: When they were looking for a new CEO at Kickstarter, and one of the board members ended up picking up The Financial Times that day that I was in it. And then obviously I went through a long process, six seven month process to become the CEO of Kickstarter. And I was a very unorthodox candidate because I was thirty two at the time. You know, I hadn't run a company of that scale. But they really took a shot on me and a chance on me, and.
Speaker 3: It worked out.
Speaker 1: So at that point, Kickstarter was having some issues right before they hired you. So what was that like and because we want to talk about how you managed to turn that around as an unorthodox CEO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean listen.
Speaker 4: I was listening to this panel down in Boca recently a few months ago. It was with a few block CEOs because it's not a lot of us, and they were talking about when there is a CEO opportunity given to us, it's not gonna be a good job.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a mess.
Speaker 5: You got to put a fire, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna it's gonna be a mess.
Speaker 4: So for me, you know, when I came in, you know, revenue was in steep decline. The culture was not where I needed to be. There was a lack of ambition, like when you've been number one for so long, like it's really really hard to get people fired up and be like change you know, change agents. And so for me coming in, I was like, guys, like I had this entrepreneurial my mentality of like hey, whatever you thought was working before, like I don't care, like we're going to do something new. We're looking at this like a blank canvas, Like we're not just because we've been number one for so long, our growth has stalled and if we continue to do this if you're not grown, you're dying, right, if you're not evolving as a business. You saw it a lot during COVID. These people businesses went like this and they didn't evolve, and now where are they now? And so for me, I just wanted to come in there with a new energy, a new level of ambition, new creative strategy. I was thirty three, I was young, I was in the culture I still am, and so I just wanted to bring a new mentality to Kickstarter.
Speaker 2: I you know, I had an entrepreneur background. Gave you a different wins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred and ten percent, And just all of my experiences being a young black man, experiencing the things that I've experienced, being a creator myself, being a creative person myself, knowing what it was like not to be able to have funding for the things that you wanted to do. But also shift the perception of Kickstarter because we're not gofund me, we're not donations, We're not hey, this is a charity.
Speaker 1: Like No, you'd be reluctant because of how it looks. And I want to ask it being a young thirty two to thirty three year old black man coming in there, as the CEO and wanting to shake things up?
Speaker 5: How do people take to that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna look at my my PR person right now.
Speaker 5: I'm just caring.
Speaker 1: Is you know, coming in there and doing something, and people can be resistant, they can push against that.
Speaker 5: Your age, you.
Speaker 1: Know, your race, all of those things.
Speaker 4: I would say this while trying to be as respectful as possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're not. Everyone was happy for me. Listen, listen, listen, listen.
Speaker 4: They promised, they promised that they were going to bring in a super experienced CEO, and and they brought me so I could see. And then everyone that's reporting into me is much older than me, you know, and things like that. So yeah, it's a different But listen, I became an executive when I was for a company that wasn't my own.
Speaker 3: I became a CMO when I was twenty five. I've been doing this for a long time.
Speaker 4: That don't FaZe me. Like you could feel whatever feelings you want. I'll fire you if you don't want to be here. But like, I'm here to make something happen. I'm here to grow this company, I mean business. Like you quickly realize, like my ears right here, she knows like I do not mess around, like I am about growth, I'm about bringing change, and they quickly realized.
Speaker 3: Even the people that doubted me, they quickly.
Speaker 4: Realize, oh, I'm built different and you see the results years later.
Speaker 2: So one of the many things you do different is this four day work week.
Speaker 3: Yes, I like that.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about one of the reasons you're here is to teach entrepreneurs during Black Business Month to give them motivate them to scale. And one of the things about scaling is setting that impossible goal with that impossible deadline. So you see what's essential. And I know the kind of the concept behind the four day work week is the same. People are like that means time off, but it doesn't mean that to you at all.
Speaker 4: No, I want to be very clear, where's where's my camera is right here? I don't love the four day work week. I just want to be very very clear, like for me personally, that is not how I work, That's not how I do. I have a level of passion and intensity that cannot be contained to four days. With that being said, when I came to Kickstarter, they were already trialing the four day work week, and I tell people, if you're going to trial a four day work week, you got a four day work week, because.
Speaker 3: Like once you let the genie out of the bottle, trying to no more virtual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not so for me. I'm not personally a fan of it. But what I am a fan of is providing balance for the people that work for me, right, and to have really fulfilled lives.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: And so what the four day work week has done has given people time back to invest into their creativity, into their family, into the things they love, and you know, you hope that they come back refresh and energize to come back to work. It also has has led to us to be, you know, ruthless when it comes to prioritization.
Speaker 3: You've got to be super.
Speaker 4: Efficient, right and now, listen, it's very very intense to do and like to do that over time, to try to continue to get the same amount of stuff done and in four days and five days.
Speaker 3: It's really really hard.
Speaker 4: If you're a customer support person, you can only do so many customer support tickets in four days versus five days. It's just it's just like, you know, that's really really hard.
Speaker 5: He run a coffee shop, you know, you gotta be at work.
Speaker 3: You gotta be at work. You know, if you need coffee.
Speaker 4: You know, if he just closed, he closed one day out a week, your revenue is going to be affected by that. But what we do, what I tried to do is just bring a higher level of performance that we could perform better in four days than we were at five days. But what I would say is if I put that same level of performance and prioritization of five days.
Speaker 3: Who knows what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't. We'll never know.
Speaker 3: We'll never know. We'll never know because it's not it's not changing.
Speaker 4: Like I know how much the people at kickstart to really value the four day work week and how it's changed their lives, and I really do care about it.
Speaker 1: And the numbers have reflected growth. And listen, I know he's only got a few minutes left. So in lieu of that, I got to make sure we get to this one million dollar culture funds.
Speaker 5: So can we please talk about I want your job.
Speaker 3: I want your job, I'll tell you.
Speaker 5: So can you talk about this one million dollar fund?
Speaker 1: Because I want people to understand who is eligible for this right the arts and expression and all of that, but also this is not like a million dollars to one person. This is a fund that is spread across multiple creators.
Speaker 4: Yes, so we launched this campaign called the Power Belief. If you're in New York City, you'll see in Time Score and all around the city. And one of the things that I felt with launching this campaign is like, if we're asking people to have the belief in people on our platform to buy their products and support their dreams, then we should be doing the same. And so that's where the Culture Fund came about as a one million dollar fund to support the first This is just the first million dollars, so this is going to be a multi year, multimillion dollar initiative. But the first fund is committed to artists, so the arts, filmmakers, so film musicians, and music and fashion, fashion designers and so these are some of the categories that I've personally seen a lot of creatives struggling with right now finding success in these areas, and so we want to make sure that we are able to give an allocate capital to these people because even just five, ten, twenty thousand dollars can completely change, you know, the trajectory for somebody. And so that's why we're really passionate about this. And again this is just the first trunch, so there's going to be more to come. And the caveat is that they have to launch a Kickstarter project so you can get the money. If you're launching a Kickstarter project in any of these categories.
Speaker 5: And kicks out of will not have any equity in your company.
Speaker 3: Zero equities zero zero, yes zero.
Speaker 4: That's the beautiful thing about Kickstarter is that it really empowers people to launch new things, launch new creative things.
Speaker 3: New products, whatever.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of the people that we love, the Spike Lee's, the e Arrays, the thlcs, all these people have launched Kickstarter projects or a Ring Peloton, all these companies that people use every day have launched on Kickstarter. And so we want to continue to empower people to do this and live out their dreams, especially in this economy and especially with the way that the infrastructure is collapsing around creative industries right now.
Speaker 2: Where can people find out about the fund and learn about it.
Speaker 4: And to go to kickstarter kickstarter dot com. There's a huge banner on kickstarter dot com with the Culture Fund. Culture Fund. Click on that and yeah, I'll give you all the details that you need.
Speaker 1: You know, this was something that as part of what you wanted to do as Kickstarter was having this resurgence making more money. Well, let's take some of that money and actually reinvest into people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Like you know, so a lot of people don't realize. People see Kickstarter, they're like, oh, big global tech company. But also we're actually a public benefit corporation, so we're still a for profit entity, but we don't maximize just for profits. We maximize for impact out there in the world, positive impact out there in the world. So this is a commitment to the work that we do by not just being like, hey, how can we just make as much money for ourselves, but how can we use that capital to change the lives of people out there.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 1: For somebody who's starting a Kickstarter, what are some things you would tell them to make sure that they are actually can market what it is that they're starting their Kickstarter for, because you also don't want to get lost in the shuffle of other people who have kickstarters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give two big things. One is like video video video. We live in the world of video, so your video has to be on point, it has to be engaging early. It has to be clear, it has to be concise, because that's how people are looking at you. We just launch our own like TikTok like video feed as well on the app.
Speaker 3: That's an exclusive.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, and so video is a huge part of it. Like people aren't reading all the whole page. They want to they want to feel engaged with you, so the video is important.
Speaker 3: Number two is listen.
Speaker 4: The way that the Kickstarter algorithm works is you need to have your community kind of push it in the beginning, so then the algorithm catches it, and then all the strangers and all the people that are using Kickstarter will see your platform, I mean, your your project. And so a lot of people make the mistake that they launch a project and then they don't get their friends or family to back the project or support the project, and then it just gets lost. You really have to have a go to market strategy where you're bringing your audience and doing your marketing up front, because once you get that going, then all the millions of people that aren't Kickstarter are going to start to see your project as well.
Speaker 2: Do you coach people in that at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a whole outreach team, Customer Success team, all the things to help people be successful on that, and then we have tons of content out there to help people be successful and launch successfully.
Speaker 1: All right, perfect, I still want your job listen, Hey, we can talk about it.
Speaker 5: I also want to know.
Speaker 1: How you got it as your name, because you know how hard that is.
Speaker 3: It's just at ever It everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 4: Instagram, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, everywhere I have.
Speaker 3: I'm a hustler.
Speaker 5: Just get ever Itt.
Speaker 3: I'm a hustler. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last thing for black business owners out there who have hustled and grind and grown businesses but want to scale them, what piece of advice.
Speaker 3: I would just say? What I said a little bit earlier is like be customer obsessed.
Speaker 4: Like that is that I can't stress that enough, Like talk to your customers, your potential customers, constantly begetting feedback loops. Once you get into a point where you feel like you know best, you've lost right. You have to constantly be taking the feedback with people, talking to people, finding out what you can do better, how you can improve, what things they love, what things they hate. So it's like being obsessed always, Like I'm on threads and Twitter and I'm looking at people who might be complaining again about kickstart and stuff like that, answering them directly, seeing how I can support them. I love what I do, and if you bring that level of obsession to your company, you're going to have success.
Speaker 1: And don't get offended when people are giving their feedback at all.
Speaker 2: All Right, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I really appreciate it. Good to see your friend.
Speaker 5: Good to see you. Every Happy Wealth Wednesdays.
Speaker 2: Everybody