Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dunton Saron Brunette got a question for you, my friend, Yes, ma'am, do you know what's ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I'm sitting over here, just honestly.
Speaker 3: I will let you know. Okay, So I like jokesters, tricksters. The ultimate trickster is what one art historian called this artist, Jen's Haunting. And he's from He lives in Copenhagen. All right, he's a conceptual artist. He does like big sculptures. And he had this one I head a thing about like a sound piece where Turks told jokes in their native language and then they played it in a public square in Oslo. Okay, yeah, okay, you see where I'm going with this anyway, this is not a mashup.
Speaker 2: Ps God, yeah, Bert I can cry if I want to.
Speaker 3: We we did actually get a lot of tips off on this, but it's a good art kind of mini heist. Where so this this haunting, he'd done a piece before that had currency on it, money, and so a museum gave him money to create two works with banknotes featured all over these canvases. It was supposed to have four hundred and ninety two five hundred and forty nine kroner, which is equivalent to little, you know, sixty nine thousand ballparking dollars, which is the average annual salary in Denmark. And he was supposed to put it on this canvas and oh my gosh, what a statement, and look at this is what we make. So he goes. He goes though, he's like, yeah, hold on, let me just work on this.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Let me work with this, right, and he.
Speaker 3: Drives up in his little scooter whatever, scoot scoot. He toodles up and walks in with two blank canvases and is like, here are my pieces. And he said, they said what and he said yeah, they're called take the money and run. Oh yes, I heard of the just gave him blank ones.
Speaker 2: I love this. He's like, I spent the money. Yeah, right, there you go art.
Speaker 3: So that the museum was like, not funny, seriously, where's the art. He's like, not funny, this is art.
Speaker 2: This is it. And so U say, Marcel, do this is it?
Speaker 3: They said, we're supposed to turn back, like we're supposed to get this money back, like we're going to be able to take it off the canvases when.
Speaker 2: This I didn't see that in the paperwork.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they took him to court and the court said that he could keep forty thousand of those kroner because that was what they were supposed to pay him. But he had to give everything back and he's now appealing it because he's like it is but art.
Speaker 2: Who's to say it was conceptual art?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That was my concept is I took your money and a ran and that, my friend, is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's super ridiculous. That is thank you laid one.
Speaker 5: Up for me.
Speaker 2: Well, if you got a second, I got one for you. Yes, this story, it is wild. Are you ready to have your mind the flippid all the time? Yeah, because this is a story of how and why cocaine became the thing. What Yeah, it's with this story, okay, elzb that comes down to three iconic names, two brands, and a man. Okay, yeah. Now what's when I was doing the research on this, Well was truly wild is how these three and their relationships to cocaine it changed not just recreational drug use forever, but also how you and I and we mister and Missus America and all the ships to see how we think about ourselves and others? Oh yeah, did you know that we can blame cocaine for the rise of Freudian analysis and talk therapy? What?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: This is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 3: You are correct, Elizabeth Zaren, all.
Speaker 2: Right, for reasons that make perfect sense. When we've discussed cocaine comes up a lot in the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: It's often of a ridiculous crime is because it inspires ridiculous egos.
Speaker 3: It's just fuels ridiculous crimes. It's a subject as a target of crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's both a motivator and the target. Yeah yeah, So why did we start sniffing that demon white pattern. I'm gonna tell you. They simply put the reason why people do coke recreationally. It comes down to three names that you know, you already know these folks, Sigmund Freud, Coca Cola, and Sherlock Holms. Charlotte Okay said, like I said, two brands and a man.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's start with a brand, a man, and a fictional man.
Speaker 2: Sure, but Charlotte Colmes at this point is a brand. Okay, I'm stretching it.
Speaker 3: Well, then two brands and okay this, No, I.
Speaker 2: Got it, a brand, a man and a fictional man.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like it better.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll start with the first one. Up coke as in Coca cola. Let's separate the fact from the fiction, legend from the myth and uh also the coke from the Kuba lever Now, Elizabeth, you ever heard of the drink von Matriani?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You ever heard of Queen Victoria? Not the cruise ship the woman?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we go way back.
Speaker 2: What about Thomas Edison?
Speaker 3: I know of him?
Speaker 2: Ulysses S. Grant, Yes, you like to read? Yes, you like the playwright Heinri Gibson. Yes, what about Jules Verne?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, you're also a former Catholic. So you ever heard of Pope Leo the thirteenth?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Can you guess what all of these folks have.
Speaker 3: Little sniffers?
Speaker 2: No, they all publicly exclaimed the virtues of drinking red wine laced with cocaine. Oh god, yeah, the Holy Roman Father, Pope Leo the thirteenth. He was a particularly big fan. He said that Juan Marianni, the brand name for Cocaine red wine, was perfect for those times when quote, when prayer was insufficient.
Speaker 3: Wait, okay, stop, okay, So he just still sprinkle me, sprinkle me into the red wine.
Speaker 2: And he's like, Jesus makes better wine.
Speaker 3: Is like this, this is I can do anything now.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: He's like, this is a nightmare.
Speaker 2: So what about old Tommy Edison. He was also a big fan of cocaine wine. He was like, look, the electric lightbel ain't gonna invent itself. Daddy needs his cocaine wine.
Speaker 3: Cocaine I'm not. I'm not familiar with cocaine wine.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 3: Again, that's terrifying.
Speaker 2: Also another big fan former Civil War General US President Ulysses As Grant. He was a vall merryani man as well. Grant known to be a drinker. He at the end of his life when he's writing his memoirs, he tasted some of this cocaine lace wine. He's like, we're gonna get a barrel of this stuff.
Speaker 3: And it was always red wine. Doesn't you think it would make sense to put it in white wine.
Speaker 2: Uh, if you were right, Yeah, if you're dumping like just straight powdered.
Speaker 3: And also just the vibe of a buttery shard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smooth buttery shard. So you have all these incredible endorsements, right, You got luminaries, queens, popes, writers, actresses like Sarah Barnhardt, the big actress of the nineteenth century. Ers, you know, war heroes. Everybody is saying, you gotta dry this cocaine wine.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It becomes a publicity gold mine. And it also launched a cocaine craze.
Speaker 3: It was like the four Loco of the day exactly.
Speaker 2: This was the first cocaine craze. It starts out based on this one humble, little scientific journal paper. Right. So back in eighteen fifty nine, there was this chemist, Friedrich Wohler, and he isolated the active ingredient in the coca leaf. Now, that same year, an Italian scientist Paolo Mantegayza, he wrote a paper about this strange South American plant called cocaine. It's isolate cocaine. He was astounded with the potential for medicines. He's like, oh, you can do everything with this stuff. It's amazing. Right, French chemist. He reads this Italian scientist paper about the coca plant and all of his medicinal properties gives him ideas. He thinks to himself, what if what if I were to pour some of this coca into my wine? Huh so, and that Elizabeth was the invention of the French dish coca van No, no, it's chicken heay? Whatever is is with his idea? What if it dumps of this cocain too? My revant? He was like that became the brainchild of the French chemist Angelo Marianni. So for his new beverage, he selected a fine Bordeaux wine, a smart red with an earthy nose, and he laced it with six milligrams of coca leaf per ounce of wine. Oh yes, per ounce?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: And thus von Marianni.
Speaker 3: Was after himself. He's like, I can't feel my faith exactly, I.
Speaker 2: Can't even is he is my tief? So it was called technically, the official name was von Tolnique Marianni a lacuca du perout okay right, So it was sold as the DJ stif and appartif it was built as an energy boosting tonic. It's just everything to anybody. Cocaine wines were even sold as safe for French kids. Now do you understand French kids were already drinking wine, So it's just a cocaine that was new. So anyway, the year at this point, we're in eighteen sixty three when he invents his cocaine wine. So this new drink, which I said, it's heavily marketed right around the world. Vall Marianni becomes this huge hit. You've seen posters of von Marianni, big now poke styled things. Yeah, most likely embtting you've seen what Now the Queen of the British Empire, the head of the Catholic Church, they're both saying coke wine is it? So what do the people do? Everyone's like, oh, this is amazing. Then medicine comes along. There's this wave of doctors. They start singing the praise of cocaine wine. In the journal Medical News. This was from eighteen ninety it reported quote that no recognized medical preparation has received stronger endorsement at the hands of the medical profession. So eventually America gets his grubby little hands on medical cocaine and coke wine, and you know, then we start doing we do best. We turned it into big business. Yeah, so what it first started out is snake oil, Like you know, the base side. We talked about the ancient Chinese medicines in the West. Eventually these turn into patent medicines, and these patent medicine ingredients were later replaced with cocaine because they're like, why do we got to put it in whiskey and a bunch of sugar. We just put it into cocaine. So then all of a sudden, boom, almost all the patent medicines are cocaine and morphine are laudanum based.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Eventually this blossoms into a whole industry of health tonics and vitality restoring elixirs and all that kind of stuff. Right, many of these, as I said, if you drew huge doses of cocaine, and so much so that when von Marianni wanted to import his cocaine wine, he had to up the amount of cocaine he put his wine. Yes, exactly. So the thing about how Von Marianni was like how why it was such a kick to the spirit, if you will, was the cocaine would be metabolized by the wine. Okay, you're ready for little chemistry.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth always sciences and me, oh my god, love each other.
Speaker 2: Two fingers in one glove.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have not met a science class. I couldn't fail.
Speaker 2: So the active ingredient in red wine is ethanol. That's a type of alcohol, right, So ethanol can also be used as a solvent. So this solvent then can extract what we think of as cocaine from the coca leaf, right, and then it kind of will suspend the cocaine in the red wine. So what that means is that when you drink the von Marianni, the coca leaf and the red wine, they create this new third chemical compound called coca ethylene. This is informed in the liver as you metabolize the coke wine. And this is what gave vall Mariani it's powerful kick, this cocaine coc ethylene. It gives also crazy euphoria inducing qualities. It's like cocaine and wine formed a wonder twins like situation. Right. So unfortunately, and I don't know sadly of who you say, if you were a fan of vall Marianni, the inventor Angelo Marianni, he made one big mistake. He forgot to pass on his recipe to his descendants. So his coke wine fell out of production as soon as he drops test his secret of the cocaine wine went to his grave with him. I do not know if he died of a heart attack. Pro I have to I have to consort with my sources, but I can't tell you right now. Interesting anyway, his creation right it inspires the Americans. As I told you, one American in particular, You're gonna turn this into a great empire, a cocaine wine health tonic. This American, he was a morphine junkie, a former Civil War veteran on the losing side. His name John Pemberton. He creates Pemberton's French Wine right now. The year at this point, we're into eighteen eighty five. Now, Angela Marianne's I told you the original formula for cocoa wine, he'd featured six milligrams of cocaine per fluid ounce. But when you wanted to costell to the Americans, he had to bump it up to seven point two milligams per rounce. So Pemberton's just like he's clocking right those same types of numbers.
Speaker 3: I'll see you and raise you to nine.
Speaker 2: He's like, that's not enough. I need a little some extra to give a little more kick, a little more pep in your steps. So he drops in colon nuts. That's his big secret, So heavy cocaine and caffeine and it's just euphoria. So he's now got a supercharged cocaine wine, extra caffeine. He calls Pemberton's French Wine instant hit. Now. A year later, the Atlanta town fathers a passed legislation to make Atlanta Fulton County go dry the whole areas. No liquor is being sold. So it's one of the first prohibition laws. The South was way ahead of the nation on this. No old Pemberton he has to immediately eighty six the wine from his new drink. So what does he do? He does it. He just says, I got to hit on my hands. I I gotta like, what am I gonna do? What I'm gonna do? He goes, ah, I got it. I'll make a carbonated tonic. So he makes this carbonated version of his cocaine wine and he calls it coca cola.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's the coca for the cocaine and the cola for the cocaine wine part was now gone, and so next comes new legislation, federal laws. Nineteen oh six, the US Congress passes the Pure Food and Drug Act. Right, This was because of all the patent medicines. People were dropping dead from going blind, the limbs were falling off. They're like, we gotta come up with a loss. That they come up with basically the USDA's initial There's also other factors. We'll talk about this later. Anyway, this was basically a response to primarily muckraking journalists of the day. They did all his work to expose the unsanitary conditions and like the factory meat production places like the Chicago meat factories think Upton singing players the jungle. Yeah, okay, So that book was published in nineteen oh six. This becomes huge trouble for Coca Cola when they now passed laws in nineteen oh six for this Pure Food and Drug Act. Because people are so horrified by this book, they're like, we need new laws. Coca Cola's like, damn it, our cocaine. Right, So then an even worse blow comes in nineteen fourteen, cocaine has made fully illegal in the US. So they're like, what are we going to do now? Our whole product line is based on this. You can't buy it without a doctor's prescription. We can't get all of our customers doctor's prescriptions. Yeah, what are we going to do? So they're like, well, we'll have to get a doctor's note for the company. So this point, Coca Cola had been enduring a decades long fight to secure its supply of coca leaves. It was ready to fight for its coca leaves. So they've been primarily importing them from Peru, but they had been also experiencing all sorts of crazy ideas. At one point, they decided they would try to grow their own coca. So they went and they bought up this land and they created these secret coca farms in Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Oh really Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: They found that they were much better being a drinkmaker than a coca farmer. So they're like, mix that right. So then the cocaine prohibition said, say, and I tell you cocaine, where's Coca Cola gonna get their So they sound a new way to secure their coca supplier. They sought out a new business partner, the US government at the time. The President of Coca Cola was a man named Asa Candler. He's also the first to change coke secret formula. He took out the cocaine. He's the guy, right, So in his place, he came up with decoconized coca leaves. So yeah, the active part of the cocaine was taken out, leaving only the flavor of the coca leaf. So he works with legislators in Washington and aisen Kandler. He made sure Coca Cola was exempted from any current prohibitions, any future prohibitions, and Coca Cola's lobbying efforts payoff. New laws are drafted, Coca Cola is exempted. There's a provise on the law that allows the drink maker to use quote decoconized coca leaves or preparations made therefrom or to any other preparations of coca leaves that do not contain cocaine. So, to this day, Coca Cola has the same supplier of its decoconized coca leaves, Maywood Chemical Works in Maywood, New Jersey, one of two companies that was grandfathered in under this law. Still the taste of the coca coca, but just no cocaine, No active ingredient to get you hot.
Speaker 3: And so that's part of that like secret recipe.
Speaker 2: Part of the secret recipe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this chump from the company may Would Chemicals. This is they're located like ten miles from Manhattan. They're not like I mean, they're in New Jersey. It's part of like that New Jersey chemicy the corridor that I always make fun of. But anyway, the company, it continues to stay to legally import and process copious amounts of cocaine and it's all sitting there in New Jersey in the Atlantic. In two thousand and three, they reported on this Maywood Chemical works. Uh huh at the time in two thousand and three, they imported three hundred and eighty five thousand pounds of coca leaf and.
Speaker 3: The cocaine they take out. What do they do with that?
Speaker 2: That would have been if they would have turned into cocaine, that was about two hundred million dollars worth of cocaine.
Speaker 3: That's what. So what do they do? Just flush it down the twill?
Speaker 2: They incinerate it. Apparently, that's that's the story.
Speaker 3: So like the local Nerdwelt climbs.
Speaker 2: I think they do it and like pressurize anyway. I do not have an answer for how they get rid of the cocaine that they isolate.
Speaker 3: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: But answer to your question of can you even taste the cocaine Coca Cola, they say it's perceptible. They say that it's very actually important flavor. And then when you take it out, people are like this.
Speaker 3: This is what is it tastes like? Isolated?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious what wine cocaine tastes likes. That's your cocaine wine. That's personally Yeah, that was the first cocaine crase. Coca Cola popularized it, and so did Von Marianni. Now let's peel back the curtain for the next big name in cocaine segment, Freud. But first, well they can break Elizabeth. I know you need to cool down and we'll be back.
Speaker 3: Into class cocaine wine.
Speaker 2: All right, Elizabeth, Saron, we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 2: Now. You may be wondering, Saron, we're talking.
Speaker 3: Cocaine, Saron, we're talking cocaine.
Speaker 2: Where is the crime? Yeah, where's you somehow have cocaine but no crime?
Speaker 3: How is that possible?
Speaker 2: I'm like, fair enough, Elizabeth, that is a fair point. The Coca Cola was able to change the laws, so what they did was not illegal. So we've just barely missed. Yeah, just throw it around it right. Well, so far there, we've only been kind of ridiculous. For more ridiculousness, let's talk Siggy Freud, father of the the ego, the super egos, talk therapy, dream therapy aka Freudian analysis, the whole bit.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Freud, as it turns out, was a big time and I mean huge cocaine.
Speaker 3: Really, yes, I feel like I kind of knew that you might have heard about.
Speaker 2: It's like something you hear in the college dorm room, Like you know sigmand Freud, you like cocaine, You know the professor mentioned in class and they tell you have the story.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. It's like when someone takes a philosophy class then you have to hear about maybe we're brain in a jar. Get over it, dude, anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So Freud to frame it in modern terms, Freud was the kind of cocide whould make Stevie Nick say.
Speaker 3: Damn son, oh really?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Froyd was the kind of coked whould make John Belushi nervous?
Speaker 3: Did he have someone blow it up? As dude.
Speaker 2: Well, not quite. He didn't get to there, but it gets pretty the white witch, yo, Yeah, that's how she got it. When she blew out her nose. He blew out his nose too, we did. That's how much he loved cocaine, just like Stevie Nicks. To see Sigmund Freud, He's essentially why we have recreational cocaine. Really one man, almost single handedly, Freud made cocaine a thing. He's like, cocaine's a thing now thanks to Freud. But how how did Freud do it? Elizabeth? Great question?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Now remember how I told you about that academic paper about cocaine, the French chemist Angelo Marianni. He reads it and he's like, well, he wasn't the only one to read it. Not just cocaine wine spurned from that. Freud also he peeped academic papers. He read that. When he read others and a bunch of the medical minds, they all were coming to cocaine and seeing potential.
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 2: He was part of this early wave of adopters. So who were these early coke lovers of academia? Elizabeth desperate, You're just hot with the questions. I am I'm just loving. Well, let's start with my man, Carl Caller. That's with a K and see Carl K. Caller, right, he was a twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Year old with a K collar with a K. Please don't let his middle name be Kevin.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's a German. So when he decided to experiment with cocaine compounds, who did he decide to experiment on, Elizabeth?
Speaker 3: Monkeys himself.
Speaker 2: He's like, I don't have money for monkeys. I got money for Carl and some cocaine. He wanted to see how cocaine worked as an anesthetic. That was the big deal originally, right, So you know what that's used for now? That was its original purpose. Yes, it remains so. And so it's he and a colleague. They made up a cocaine solution and then Coler loaded up his eyeballs with the solution like eye dropper. He did like an eye dropper thing there. So he found that it numbed his eyeballs, like he totally worked as an anesthetic, right, and so the tested he had his colleagues shoved pins into his eyeballs. But Elizabeth, good news is he couldn't feel the pins shoved into his eye when I'm imagining cocaine work.
Speaker 3: I have this problem that when I see like footage of someone getting hurt, or like someone describes something some sort of injury toil, I imagine it like I get like sharp pains in my legs.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you're such an EmPATH. I know I'm afraid to get that.
Speaker 3: So like when you talk about that, I'm trying not to imagine it, and I say all sorts of horrific things because I had when I describe violent things, it's a cartoon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've noticed that about you. Cartoonized.
Speaker 3: But like, especially like if I see one of those videos where like someone jumps a bike off something and then slams into a wall, I get like sharp pains in my legs.
Speaker 2: Is that I think you're very empathetic. You're basically feel their pain in a sense, or at least your mirror neurons imagine your mirror motor neurons go, oh, this is what it would feel like, and then you experience.
Speaker 3: I think I haven't so.
Speaker 2: Kelly Slater learned to surf a bunch really well in Florida's He watched all these videos and just thought about what they would do. And just wastely worked his muscles on other people's waves.
Speaker 3: Huh, well, I just think I have like an excess quantity of woosy in my body.
Speaker 2: I don't want to teach you about it.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm embarrassed by No, you.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't be embarrassed. It's a good quality. And that is, honestly, how we became such a great spece is our ability to feel and to learn from.
Speaker 3: Other except for if you have cocaine in your eyes and you can't feel exactly.
Speaker 2: This was as a good transition to Elizabeth. Huge news for surgeons. We can now knock out. This is basically the first use of local antisset.
Speaker 3: I've had eye surgery. By the way, I wish they would have done this. I've don't want to It would have been better than what I had going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, this is how an alley with a brick anesthetic was a brick anyway, you can numb an area of the body without putting a person all the way under. That's the genius of local anesthetic because people still die from going under, so there's a dangerous So if you have cocaine, you're like, oh, this helps us. This is great. Right, So before Coke met Kohler's eyeballs, doctors had to rely on chloroform. Ether it's kind of like clumsier versions. So soon enough medical profession they love it. They start saying in the praises of cocaine, it's all over academia. But the public doesn't know about this. They're not up on the latest anesthetics. So Robert Bartholow you wrote in eighteen ninety one about how it spread through medicine. Quote, no remedy in modern times, probably in any age of the world, has become so famous since so short a time as cocaine, and no remedy has so soon been subjected to the test of physiological experiment and clinical observation. Right, cocine is it now? Let's not get it twisted though, right as Europeans didn't discover cocaine, not anymore than they discovered the Americas. Because in South American societies and cultures, cocaine was a staple crop. It was revered as a gift from the gods. It was praised for its medicinal properties. It was very well known, but it was not used recreationally.
Speaker 3: No, didn't they chew on it?
Speaker 2: From on the lea. Yeah, when they wanted to stamina energy, long hikes on hunts. You know, it was used as a performance enhancing drug essentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it was the Europeans who turned cocin into a recreational drug, just sitting around getting high on a couch. Right. So in the nineteenth century European scientists they got really good at isolating the active ingredients of plants. So in eighteen oh three it started with morphine. They had isolated it from opium or so from the poppy plant. And then eighteen twenty along comes caffeine. In quinine, they're isolated, very important, especially quinine from malaria. In eighteen twenty eight virgina tonics. Eighteen twenty eight, nicotine is isolated. And so then when you start making a lot of pesticides out in nicotine, oh yeah, that's in eighteen fifty nine science isolates the active ingredient from coca leaves. And so then I told you that same year Paulo Manka is that he writes his paper examining the properties of cocaine, launching off all the cocaine wine. But he also, as I said, inspired all these medical people. Right, So in his experiments. He documented the experiments, and he wrote in his documentary quote God is unjust because he made man incapable of sustaining the effects of coca all life long. I would rather live a life of ten with coca than one of one hundred one thousand without it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: These people are like they are looked, yes, exactly now, like they're just about it right, Like Mary and Barry would be like, man, you need to calm down, like real though, So that first paper would not only spy, as I said, the French chemist to make cocoine, but also inspired the Viennes medical student looking for a path to wealth and fame akas Ziggy Freud. Now, but at first, Elizabeth, I one more doc for you. Enter William Halstead. You know who William Halstead is. He's the fatherner of modern surgery. Okay, right, so he's like it all basically traces back to him and his like ideas about like what if we put him under what if we like wash your hand?
Speaker 3: And I'm sure you love him because you love surgery websites.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: This is a lot of times when you come in here to headquarters and you'll be giggling and you'll say look at this, and you'll show me something, and then my legs.
Speaker 2: It goes back in the body of like he's been degloved. But they get it all back on anyway, my man, he was, as he said, father modern surgery. He also goes all in on cocaine and the anesthetic properties of cocaine because as a surgeon, this is huge for him, right. So the problem though for him was cocaine messed him up like he was an eighties pop star. Halstead he's working in New York at the time as a surgeon. But then he starts doing too much stuff experimentation like all the others, and he starts not showing up at work at the hospital. He starts to fail to show up for teen exactly. He gets so bad that one day he shows up for work as a surgeon in a busy New York hospital, lots of people. Everyone's like, oh frantic, there's blood on the floor. He's coked up to the gills. He tries to operate, he can't trust his surgeon's hands. He backs away from the patient right and he says, I can't operate. He then son he walks out of the operation theater. He goes home and he's like, I need to do more cocaine about it. This is terrible.
Speaker 3: Get that'll fix it.
Speaker 2: He then spends the next seven months in alone in his apartment getting high on his miracle drug.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Finally, in eighteen eighty six, Ill said's like, I think I have a problem. He checks into Butler Hospital. It's good for him, producer Dave's hometown of Providence, Rhode Island. So he got treated for cocaine addiction, you know, and so he gets released. But unfortunately he was not able to get that monkey off his back. He went on to become a professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, teaching all these new doctors what he's created, these new ways of surgery. And while he's doing this, he's also blowing rails of.
Speaker 3: Coke, Like while he's teaching class. I like to imagine that.
Speaker 2: This is Chuck. Don't worry about it, Chuck so Halsted. He's never able to get free of the cocaine monkey on his back. He was just one of the early cautionary tales now of the hour.
Speaker 3: He I mean, he got his life back together though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was able to get his career back together. That was about it. Everything else kind of Feld to this. It was a rough one for old Uh yeah, Halsted, Now are man of the hour. Zicky Freud the godfather of recreational cocaine. Now I'm not being facetious when I say this, Elizabeth, Yes, sorry to god. Dominick straight failed the author of Cocaine, an unauthorized biography. He's the guy who literally wrote the book on cocaine. Literally, so anyway, he wrote this his book Cocaine quote that if there is one person who could be held responsible for the emergence of cocaine as a recreational pharmaceutical, it was Freud. It's not just me. It's also straight film anyway. As I know, earlier, all the time cocaine was still legal. So this is we're in a legal phase right at the time. I'm Freud and his coke had medical buddies. They're doing legal, pharmaceutical grade cocaine, not street cut stuff. They're just doing like straight from like the pharmacists right now, if you can believe it, Freud first started doing coke to treat nasal lesions. He had these sores in his nose and he found the cocaine numb the pain.
Speaker 3: Why did he have so he.
Speaker 2: Didn't tell me, and then he noticed it. It made him feel really good, like really good.
Speaker 3: He's like, all these ideas.
Speaker 2: To keep doing that, right, So I think Freud would agree that cocaine is likely the favorite drug of the ego. Yeah, So anyway, he orders up some of the more cocaine. He starts to experiment on himself, because that's just what you do. He receives his first delivery from quote Angels Pharmacy. That's what's the spot. The year is eighteen eighty four, one year of cocaine. Later, in eighteen eighty five, Freud ready to go public with his new love. He's like, let's make this Facebook official. So he wrote a medical treatise called uber Coca. All right, just right to the point you described everything quote was the most gorgeous excitement. He also wrote the quote if fun works intensive while under the influence of coca, after three to five hours, there is a decline in the feeling of well being, and the further dose of coca is necessary in order to ward off fatigue. Okay, so right, so Fredi discovered what the users called the moors, right which is basically, oh, I just want more code, right, But he argues that this is not the case. He writes, quote, it seems to me notimory that I discovered this in myself and and other observers who are capable of judging such things. At the first dose or even repeated doses of coca produced no compulsive desire to use the stimulants. Further, on the contrary, once he was a certain unmotivated aversion to the substance, which is a total lie. I might keep telling yourself that, Elizab, but you have to keep in mind the time Freud was a young man. He was one with a medical degree, but also he was importantly Freud had a politically radical father. He had a big shadow cast over him, and his father was ruining his potential in a very conservative Vienna. Oh yeah, his professional life was a nightmare thanks to Pops.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: So Freud, he found the cocaine made all his worries and anxieties go away, and thus he concluded the cocaine would also be a perfect to give to morphine addicts. So Freud first had learned about cocaine from a medical journal called Therapeutic Gazette, so that's what kind of framed his thinking. But the journal wasn't unbased science. This was owned by a pharmaceutical company, Park Davis, which is now a subsidiary offizer. Yeah, and anyway, as he started to write about the joys of cocaine, the pharma company paid Freud twenty four dollars to spread the good word of cocaine. So now he's cocaine's poster boy, and it's pitch man. Anyway, he goes on. Meanwhile, Fred, he starts to recommend it to his colleagues at the university. He's recommending coke to his friends, his family, people on the street. He even told his fiance people, Yeah, you gotta try this cocaine. Now I got some right here. Toll takes this. It say, a good hand in my pocket. So Marta Burnet is that's his fiance. He's writing to her these all these letters because you know the time, you gotta write letters. And in his letters just always cocaxed thish oh Man. He's telling her like Freud relied on basically cocaine for confidence and crucial moments, and he'd meet people he admired, he'd want to impress him and well, Elizabeth, right than me tell you about this. I'd like you to close your eyes and to picture it as a close eighteen eighty six on the continent Europe, to be exact. And you are on a carriage ride, and this is a delightful day. A soft greaze pushes the air around in a fun, flirtatious way. The sound of the carriage wheels and the horse hoofs is like a white noise machine. That is, if you knew what one of those were. You don't. It's the nineteenth century. They'd get to be invented. Anyway. You're on this carriage ride, Elizabeth, with you as a young Sigmund Freud, and you, Elizabeth, are tight with Freud. I mean so tight because you are the cocaine monkey on his back, not a literal cocaine money. No, no, no, you were Freud's voice of addiction.
Speaker 3: But I thought I was cocaine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, you are the voice of Freud's voice of addiction. At the moment you and the young doctor are on your way to see his mentor and teacher of the French psychiatrist Jean Martin Carco. Of course, you've you've been there with Freud days earlier, when he wrote a letter to his fiance, reading it aloud to him. So you recall how he explained his excitement to his fiance, saying, Chako has invited me, along with Ratchetti, to visit him at his home tomorrow Tuesday, after dinner. Many people will be in attendance. You can easily recall the mix of trepidation and elation in Freud's reading voices. He continued to read it his own letter before sending it off. I'm sure you can imagine my apprehension mixed with curiosity and pride. White gloves, white tie and even a new shirt, a visit to the barber for what little hair I have left, and a little cocaine to loosen my tongue. That last part was, of course your idea. You whispered that into Freud's ear, feeling a little nervous, Siggie, you should do some coke about it. And now the big day has come, and Freud does as you suggested then and again now you suggest he danced with that white devil you love to whisper chaos into his ears. And the thing is, Freud listens to you, out comes his little container of cocaine, and with two snorts, Freud feels that familiar cool sensation run down his spine. Oh, that sweet devil cocaine, you whisper in his ear. Freud relaxes into the seat of his carriage as the sounds of horses and carriage wheels pull him even closer to his mentor's house. You whisper in his ear again. Freud listens a little more cocaine. What a good idea, he thinks, you know, to give him, you know, what a little ease from his worries. Oh, another mile or two to go. We're almost there. But maybe there's just another time, a little bit of time for maybe another Freud stays busy, getting high as giraffe eyebrows in this carriage. He's like Vienna's Rick Ross at this point, right, and you, Elizabeth, are so happy for him, because chaos rains. Finally, the carriage arrives at the destination. Just before the footmot hops down from the back and comes around and opens the doors. Freud tops off. You've now convinced Freud to get completely suited before walking into the home of his mentor. At this point, you laughably imagine Freud mashing his teeth side to side as he dominates the conversation. Freud coming off like a yiked out hunter, s Thompson. The carriage doors swing open, the footman offers a hand to Freud, and you, giddy with excitement, ride on Freud's back as he takes his first unsteady step out of the carriage, off to see his mentor. How much did Freud love cocaina live?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: How much did he rely on her? To Calmas social anxiety one his own words. In another letter with his Boo, Freud confided how he'd been doing so much below at the time that he could hardly sleep. He said, I was offering from migraines, the third attack this week, by the way, although I'm otherwise in excellent health. I took some cocaine, watched the migraines vanish at once, went on writing my paper as well as it let to professional Mendo. But I was so wound up that I had to go on working and writing and couldn't get to sleep before four in the morning. But I find it hilarious about Freud's letters that the good doctor somehow misses the fact that maybe, just maybe, his miracle drug is the problem for him. He keeps saying, no, this is everything, it's the best everything. It's the other things. I don't know that hay fever and allergies. So he's like he's got Pandora's box, right, big shiny box, and he's now dumped it over like cocaine on Don Henley's glass top table. He's just this is awesome. Anyway. Well, let's take a little break, Elizabeth, and after this I'll be back to tell you how Freud may cocaine further the thing, not just for himself but for everybody.
Speaker 5: Oh no, Elizabeth, Oh Zaren.
Speaker 2: Do you know how Freud came up with his idea for talk therapy cocaine? I mean, think about it. It makes perfect sense. Oh yeah, yeah, what is like to do? Talk about themselves, their preoccupations, their fears, their worries. Right, of course a koke would invent talk therapy. Yeah, it's right. Why do we miss this?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 2: We have a Freud coked up like Kerry Fisher in her prime, and he's got all these rich Viennese folks swinging by his office and he's like, you need to just open up and talk. Let it happen. You know what, just like you say whatever you're thinking. And so this is how cocaine's first spreads amongst the elite, right him telling everybody how great it is, and they're like, oh, man, I do feel better, and I don't even care about my mother or whatever it is that their concern is. Meanwhile, remember I said Freud thought coke would be the perfect thing to give to a morphine addict to treat the addiction, which is like the worst idea I could think of to give a morphine joy other than morphine is the cocaine habit. Anyway, Enter Freud's buddy or van Fleischel Maxau. He was the aforementioned morphine junkie. He was also a medical cata physiologist. He'd suffered a catastrophic thumb injury while dissecting a corpse. The wound resulted in an infection followed by an amputation that left him with nerve pain. So he treated that with morphine quickly developed one hell of a habit. Freud thought he had an answer to his friend's trouble. He's like, you knowed you to maybe do some cocaine about it? Right, So he treated him. How I use that term loosely with copious amounts of cocaine. So what happens to his buddy Elizabeth? Oh god, you know what happens. He developed a cocaine habit like nobody's business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he already has addiction issues, and.
Speaker 2: Now he's got a supplier who's pushing it on him, literally pushing it.
Speaker 3: On Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And he starts doing so much coke he reaches toxic levels in his body. Right, So Freud's therapy pland is not working. His friend would eventually battle addiction for the next seven years of his life until he died of a premature death at age forty five.
Speaker 3: Wag Freud, Yeah, nice one.
Speaker 2: We're still was in. Freud, high on cocaine, became convinced that his buddy, another buddy of his, a doctor, should attempt a radical operation on one of his patients. You see, his own nose, as I told you, have been severely congested, just like Stevie Nicks. Now possibly you know from the coke habit. So Freud undergone an operation where a doctor sliced open one of his nostrils, cleared out all his coke blockage and damage or whatever. And Freud thought that his buddy could do the same thing on his patients. He's like, yeah, just slice open her nose will be perfect. Right oation gets botched, the woman suffers for the rest of her life. Writes about this in his book The Interpretation of Dreams, He records his own guilty dreams about his patient Irma. The tragedy drives him to do way more cocaine. I need to do cokebat it right. At this point, he was doing so much coke. He was experiencing regular chest pains, depression. He was doing so much coke he nearly imploded his career, his marriage. He still hadn't figured out that cocaine was to blame. He kept thinking it might be something out. He can't be this stuff that makes me feel awesome by that. He wouldn't stop doing blow until eighteen ninety six, when his politically radical father dropped dead. And you may recall that was when he has original reason to start experimenting with his father. His father dies. He quit the day after his father was put in the ground. One day after his funeral, He's like, I don't think I need cocaine anymore, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I wonder what Freud would say about it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey, tell me about your faza anyway. So Freud he quits cocin eighteen ninety six. Later on, Freud largely tried to bury his earlier enthusiasm, for he tried to act like he'd never been Johnny cokeseed, we have the receipts, right, it's there, right, So Freud he told the whole world cocazette. Then he was like, no, never mind, but people didn't hear that. Right. By that point it had spread, right, Yeah, and uh, you know, even though as I said, he quits, Pandora's box has been cracked cracked up down. So now we have Coca Cola, we have Freud. I told you one other one, who did I say, Charlock Holmes. Well, Elizabeth, remember also I told you cocaine was legal to the beginning of the twentieth century. Yeah, this is very important to remember. So I'll get into another story of another superfan of cocaine, Sherlock Holmes. Authors Lester Grinspoon and James B. Bacalar, they co wrote a book The Details the History of Cocaine, and they documented its social evolution. Of course they got to Sherlock Holmes. Yeah, because he loved that Bolivian marching powdery. As they wrote, doctor Watson Doyle's narrator first mentions cocaine in The Sign of the Flour, published in eighteen ninety. At that time, Holmes was injecting a seven percent solution intravenously three times a day, apparently a rather large dose, since Watson reports asking when he saw Holmes with the needle whether it was morphine or cocaine. Holmes seems to have had more than one drug habit, but we have no more of morphine from Watson. In the spirit of mock scholarship with which Sirlock Holmes studies are conducted, we might guess that Holmes is one of those addicts wo use cocaine to withdraw from morphine and simply replace one drug with another. Holmes admitted that cocaine was bad for him physically, but found it transcendentally stimulating and clarifying to the mind. Now, as the authors noted, Sherlock Holmes, he doesn't use cocaine as a performance enhancing drug. He uses it to relax. So again back to Greensman and Bacalar, they write that Sherlock Holmes quote did not use it when working on a case, but only did dispel boredom when he had nothing to do. Now, it may surprise some folks to learn that one of the great detectives of literature was an out and out cocatine. Yeah, right, Does it surprise you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean you knew, right, I'd kind of told you.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I've read it.
Speaker 2: You read a story.
Speaker 3: And their references in some of the adaptations like the film.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, some of the belts cover it. Yeah, but they often gets dropped out. Yeah, anyway, to make their case, the co authors, they documented all the appearances in all of his books. And there's cocaine right from the first book, all right. In a study in Scarlet, doctor Watson is worried about his friend's co cabit, doesn't quite mention it by name. It gets mentioned by name three years later in the next book, The Sign of the Four, Watson actually watches Holmes shoot up right, and he says, and I quote Charlotte, Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantelpiece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat Morocco case. With his long, white, nervous fingers. He adjusted the delicate needle, and rolled back his left shirt cuff. For some little time, his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist, all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture marks. Finally, he thrust the sharp point home, pressed down the tiny piston, and sank back into the velvet lined armchair with a long sigh of satisfaction. Now to me, that sounds like morphineus a cocaine.
Speaker 3: I was realized in reading it and then seeing I always thought it was that Holmes was supposed to be a morphine addict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he speaks. Holmes specifically speaks to cocaine. He tells the Good Doctor at one point, I suppose that it's influence is physically a bad one. I find it, however, so trendscendentally stimulating and clarifying to the mind, that its secondary action is a matter of small moment. So he basically says, I don't care, it makes you feel good. Yeah, don't give me any So that's how the Great Detective helped glamorize cocaine. He give it a patina of elegance and sophistication similar to Freud right, but admittedly he didn't have to worry about fetanol like the modern users do. But even Victorian cocaine was still a no joke. It was pharmaceutical great. But anyway, Elizabeth, you still may be wondering, Jaren, where is the crime? You've kind of dogged. Yeah, it's a fantastic question, Elizabeth to answer that. Let's bring it back home to the US. Cocaine arrived in American soil in eighteen eighty four as a medical supply. As I've told you, right, it is mostly just with the doctors. By then, who's being mass produced by European chemical companies like Murk, And they're throwing it over this over the Atlantic, right, this new wonder drug. It gets outlawed in its first state three years later, in eighteen eighty seven, the state of Oregon. At that point, all the new stories about cocaine abuse were about doctors abusing it. So Oregon very small state. They can't have their few doctors abusing it, so they outlawed, Right, they're dipping into it. Two years later, Montana outlawed cocaine without a prescription, So, just like Oregon, it was more of an updated ban on their pre existing laws against opium and morphine, which was a racist preoccupation in the West because of Chinese laborers. Yeah, so Colorado.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it feels like cocaine though, was probably not prescribed for people to take away from the office. I think it was it because it seems like if the doctors are getting busted for it, it's something that is.
Speaker 2: It's not being administered in the doctor's office. They were being given various ways. There was like lozenges, there's gums, there's there are shots that they're administering, but there's also powders. There's a lot of different they're coming up. They don't know how to best give it to people today.
Speaker 3: Isn't it mostly used in dentistry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's primarily an anesthetic cruised and dentistry in the in the office. Yeah, and the users a little tiny noodles thing. So Colorado, Illinois they soon follow suit. They update their narcotics laws. This is primarily in response, once again to abuse by doctors and pharmacists. Eighteen ninety three, the state of New York first big state to do it. They ban the use of cocaine without a doctor's note, again to limit recreational cocaine abuse. Same thing doctor's pharmacist. One month after cocaine had first rived in US, a Connecticut doctor he'd created a new product. I remember you were talking about they didn't know how to get cocaine into the body the best way. So he decides, oh, I mean, once again for medical purposes, He's going to create some way to fight the common cold with cocaine. So he grinds up menthol and cocaine and some milk sugar and he sells this as a medical snuff.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It's just you can do the white powder and you can just snort it. So he thought it would open up the nostrils. What it did was create a quick and easy way to recreationally do cocaine. Young folks love it. They start calling it sniff and cocaine.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 2: You got to get that sniff and cocaine. It becomes the new drug ad choice. Soon enough, there's news headlines documenting this new moral panic. This headline's like boy slave to cocaine or that was from the Chicago Tribune eighteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: This general mood, all these stories milk powdery you said, milk sugar, milk sugar. Yeah, still it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does that make it sweet, not too sweet? Who'd be really crystal? And it's kind of a flaky, dry sugar.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, they're basically the stories. The moral panic is that cocaine is fueling the white slave trade. That's what they think. The white slave trade is being run on cocaine. That's what this is the new story, say Elizabeth, All these like white girls and boys are going into the big.
Speaker 3: City and Jimmy and.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, they're being like suckered into warehouses by people with like cocaine. I don't know. These are the stories. It becomes this consistent theme, right for two decades. In nineteen twelve, the New York Tribune ran the headline Cocaine an ally of the white slavers. It just they just keep doing the same stories over and over again. Right despite all these screaming headlines about lost white youth. Yea, the moral panic never takes hold of people's imaginations and nothing's really happening. The story starts to shift. In eighteen ninety eight, a Chicago paper wrote a story about a cocaine club where black people gathered in secret and they blew rails of this new hip drug. And the paper wrote and I quote yesterday, the following invitations were sent to a number of prospective members. You are cordially invited to attend a coke party given by the Colored Cocaine Club at its hall on December twenty third at three pm. There was a large attendance. An Ramsey, a depraved negress who was known as the Queen of the Cocaine Fiends, sniffed the drug up her nostrils until her nose was swollen and split open. She is the ruling spirit of these gatherings. So in these news stories right, setting aside the casual racism, coke was shown as the ruiner of people. Right, fears of black people doing coke were largely non existent and mostly focused on the cocaine, not the black people. But then as the century turned Elizabeth, cocaine sniffing became the drug a choice for working men, in particular black waterfront dock workers and Steve Adoors. They helped spread the drug across the South, first up and down the Mississippi, and we see all these states start banning cocaine all along the Mississippi River. It makes its way into New Orleans and the Forum from there to the former plantation workers. Now it starts showing up in what would be the the predecessors of juke joints. People are doing it on the weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The white planters are stoked about cocaine because the black field workers worked longer and they were more productive, so they were like, yeah, the white planters started growing cocaine giving it out to the field hands. It was like coffee in a breakway. We're oh, yeah, there's just handed cocaine out right. The popularity cocaine spreads across the South right, especially in New Orleans because it's a party city. This would soon lead to a new wave of racialized fears of negroes running them up high on cocaine. The typical Southern fears of black people getting their bloody vengeance on white folks start creeping north with these news stories. Right the Atlanta Journal Constitution, my hometown paper, they published a story a nineteen hundred two negro women engage in a bloody fight and cocaine dive. Another AJC headline from the same time, frightful spread of habit among the Negroes. My favorite is from November twenty eighth to nineteen hundred Senators visit cocaine sniffers. I don't know what the story is there now, there wasn't Atlanta copy. They quoted in the Ajac and the cocaine says, cocaine makes the Negroes quiet and inoffensive. And if we have less trouble, cocaine victims in with whiskey victims. So they're like all about it. The cops are saying, we're cool with it, doesn't matter. New York papers they start running similar stories as the southern headlines started getting syndicated all across the country. This wave builds over the decade. In nineteen oh five, the New York Times publishes a story, Negro Cocaine evil. That's all it is, just three words, Negro cocaine evil. No story, that's just said. It was about cocaine the Southern States. So all these Northerners are worried about what's happening down to our brothers in the South. I guess I don't know right. So later on nineteen twelve, the New York Times story there's another one. This one's about the local habits. It says Cuban Negroes introduced a cocaine vice in New York Merk introduced the cocaine price in New York anyway, This just general ambient racist trend eventually culminated in a corker of a New York Times magazine story published February nineteen fourteen, with the very unsubtle headline Negro cocaine fiends are a new Southern menace. That published story which was incorrect. Mind you detailed accounts of coke mad negroes, and the article is written by one doctor Edward Huntington will You, who was a local moral skold. He featured lines in his article like nine men killed in Mississippi by craz's cocaine takers, five in North Carolina, three in Tennessee. These are the facts that need no imaginative coloring. Why do they need no imaginative coloring, Elizabeth, because of racism. The reader's already been primed to imagine the black men committing the crimes.
Speaker 3: Did they really happen?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: The purported news story included a tale of a cocaine stiffing negro who was in vulnerable to the effects of guns. Bullets bounced off his coke addled body. A direct gunshot to the heart, Elizabeth, a direct gunshot to the heart. In the story is quote did not even stagger the man. The new story reported how this incident and one's like it, had spurred Southern cops to purchase quote guns of greater shocking power. So they wanted stoppers because he got these, you know, bulletproof negroes running own cocaine. The real story, by the way, Elizabeth, since you did ask, had been published by The New York Times one year earlier, in nineteen thirteen. In the original reporting, it was two brothers, not one bulletproof negro cocine. The brothers did act violently, and in response, three innocent black men were killed by a white mob as retribution. But what do facts matter when you got a good racialized scare campaign.
Speaker 3: To build dude who like trash his own house during all the George Floyd of rising and then wrote Black's rule in the driveway.
Speaker 2: So we have there's there's there's our crime. All right, we got I got a one percent. Somebody did get hurt, right, I felt that one percent was important to include. But so that same year, as that crazy racist New York Times story runs, it finally grips the America followed nineteen fourteen folks down to Washington. They act on this imagined threat. Lawmakers passed new legislation, federal legislation, the Harrison Act. After that, it makes cocaine illegal without a prescription across the United States. Yeah, that coke usage drops off, then the hip they move on to heroin. We got new drugs.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Cocaine becomes a crime when black people were doing the same arical drug as freud. So there's there's our ridiculous crime when folks with field sweat on their backs enjoyed the preferred pastime of popes and a queen and Sherlock Holmes. Once it did, the melanated folks started snow from cocaine and private clubs of colored cocaine enthusiasts. Yeah, that, Elizabeth is when cocaine became a drug menace. But you know what, good and honestly, in my opinion, cocaine is a menace. It should be a regulated substance. It's it's too much for the human animal. I mean, look at everybody's reaction to it, like this is amazing. It's not a powder meant for It's a powderman for gods, not mere mortals. That's my thought. I think the South Americans were right. We're like, this is some god stuff, right man. I know I'm kind of making it sound good. I don't mean to. It's not. Coca is terrible, and you know what, I want coke to be illegal. But anyway that is out coke and our history with it became illegal ridiculous and ridiculous. So that's a ridiculous takeaway, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Don't do drugs, don't do coke. Yes, that's my big takeaway. And also, like the people people all coked out don't know how obnoxious they are. In their minds. They're thinking they're just like the funniest, like quickest, cutest thing, and oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would love you be able to show them the difference.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all teeth grinding now for.
Speaker 2: Me once again, thank you for asking.
Speaker 3: A little Yeah, yeah, I want to know.
Speaker 2: My ridiculous takeaway is is well, I thought of like the Chinese folks in the West, they could have been like, we could have told you how this would play out, because one generation earlier they had dealt with this with the opium line. Yeah, and that was because of the people in the West wanted to lessen the power of fast growing Chinese wealth. So they're like, oh, it's come off with this. We'll legalize all of them. We'll make it a problem. We could be suspicious of anyone with money. Yeah, anyway, that was a generation earlier. So really there's truly nothing new under the sun. Not a lick anyway. That's all I got for you, but the history of cocaine and why we have talk therapy US. You can online a Ridiculous Crime on Twitter, Instagram. We have a website ridiculous Crime dot com, and we also like your talkbacks emails if you want at Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening. We'll catch your next crime. Ridiculous Crime is supposed to by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaron Burnette, produced and edited by our resident cocaine hippo caretaker Dave Cousten. Research is by Mursa, I Don't Dance with that, Blow Brown and Andre Yeah. Anime is my cocaine song, Sharpened Tear. Our theme song is by Thomas Keep It Natural Lee and Travis I prefer Pepsi Dunton. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred. Executive producers are Ben Did you know that Keith Richards once started a line of his own father's ashes bowling and Noel, Yeah, I did you told me that brown?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I just had to try the Snoop cereal. So I went to Walmart and I bought it. It was one ninety eight. I got the frosted drizzlers.
Speaker 7: And I'm going to try them. These are really good.
Speaker 4: These were really good, so continuing from the last one, they're really not really really sweet. I think they're just a little bit sweeter than the frosted miniwheeds. They're a lot cheaper too. I think they're really delicious. They're really good. I can't stop eating them. Definitely try them out.
Speaker 6: Ridicous Crime, Say it one more Timeous Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.