Speaker 1: Good morning, swirld, and welcome to the No Dunks Podcast, presented by Fan Duel. It's Wednesday, July twenty ninth, twenty twenty six. I'm Jay Skeith, back in the Classic Factory and alongside me as always task.
Speaker 2: Milists podcast listeners, this is for you.
Speaker 3: Next to him, it's my top shot hot.
Speaker 1: Boy, Trey Kirby, he Ao and over Yonder right over there making the magic happen. Super producer jd Hello, there he is here.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 1: Hello to everybody joining us on YouTube. Hit the like button, subscribe podcast listeners, five star ratings and reviews. On today's show, we're going to take a look at the remaining free agents. Who's left on the market.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of guys, not a lot, not a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: Intel and new sort of rumors around some of the restricted freegin guys. We'll get into that. We'll also have some fun by drafting the worst NBA nicknames of all time. We'll do five rounds of I guess crappy nicknames.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of bad nicknames. I know a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah there is, But I gotta know, did anything happen while I was away in Croatia on vacation.
Speaker 3: Any big news. You saw the Jani Broom salary dump.
Speaker 2: Do you see that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, spot cleared for KCP on the Sixers. That was their big move. That was six year that's all they did. Okay, they made a couple of moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was fun to see you guys. I guess we worked out timing wise for you after you did that Friday Drop podcast. Yeah, and what tray you said, like twenty twenty five minutes after you had wrapped up, here comes the Lebron news perfect seventy six ers. Yeah, so you're all.
Speaker 2: Here, thanks Lebron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was nice of them, and it was well it was a sham's tweet, it was, but also some other tweets exact that they had obviously choreographed.
Speaker 3: He hasn't podcasted about it yet, though, has he no think upset upset alert?
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy. That was very fun to find out over on the other side of the world. It was weird. One of those weird things where I'm like get the news and I'm like, looking around, is anybody else reacting here at the beach club I met they were all waiting for nobody cared, I guess nobody was on their phone, but I was excited to get your coverage, guys, and you did a great job. Not really a ton to add you guys already went through like how he's gonna fit offensively, can they hold up defensively, all the other things. But I gotta say pumped as an East Coast guy that on our side for those early start times. I mean, that's fun. But man, that was a swerve. It was a swarf. As you guys addressed and everybody's addressed, I think him going to Philadelphia quite lower on the list of the options because like you're like like all the other ones felt like, I guess the best way to put is like easier options, Like you could go to Golden State and just golf with your buddy. Yeah, that'd be sort of fun. Get the little Team USA match up him and Curry again. You could just go to Miami, let Yanna and Bam carry the defensive burden and you sort of slot in there. You could obviously just go back to Cleveland. It'd be like the lowest stakes of all time. Really, I mean, it would be like just the Swan song.
Speaker 3: But said he goes Philly yeah, I mean he will. Obviously, he wanted to sign with the Knicks, but the next won the championship, so he's like, I'll do the next best thing. I'll still live in New York and I'll help break your curse for a team.
Speaker 1: So he's gonna try and do here, uh, And yeah, I mean it's gonna be fun. Obviously. It makes an already exciting offseason even more exciting with all the movement here in Philadelphia now suddenly as like, I guess a contender, Yeah, I keep forgetting Jill and Brown is on the Philadelphia Soty six Ers.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm sure he loves that. Yeah, it's very, very weird.
Speaker 1: So we'll see if Lebron can do what no player's ever done before and try and lead a fourth team, uh to a fourth championship obviously four different franchises, I guess, yeah like that. Yeah, that's got to be a part of the thinking too, right, I guess as he chased the ghosts of Michael.
Speaker 3: Does that mean anything to you winning now? No, but it's on different teams. Not to me, really, that means like, oh, you've jumped to a lot of teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it doesn't mean much to me either, when we're all having this discussion in our chats, has there been any guy who's done it with four teams? It's not one of those things that just weighs on your mind when it comes to sports really or basketball specifically.
Speaker 2: Who's done it? To me?
Speaker 4: As you slipped in there leads a fourth team? I think that's important here. He's going to a team where he's going to be looked at as a bit of a leader instead of going with Steph Curry. Like Draymond Green just sat on his podcast, I understand why it didn't come to Golden State. Didn't want to be a Kevin Durant. I agree with Draymond Green and his podcast take and that part of it. And Philly just hasn't won. So is he going to be the best player playing with Jalen Brown and Tyr's Max and Joelmby debatable, but it's at least it's a debate. That's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get your opinion finally before we move on from Lebron because there's been a lot of that talk. In his post to X He's said he was like grappling with basketball mortality, here at the end of his last season, the twenty five to twenty six campaign, and he said, I thought I was done when the season ended. Do you buy that at all?
Speaker 2: No? No, okay, I never.
Speaker 3: Thought Lebron was retiring last season, literally never.
Speaker 1: So he's just straight up lying.
Speaker 3: He's I think it's called controlling the narrative when Lebron does it.
Speaker 4: You, Yeah, I don't buy that he thought he was done. I mean when he stepped off the court, did he think, oh man, this could be it, like for a minute, maybe right, all right, right, depends on how you look at it. But as far as the narrative goes, we just alluded to it was just four tweets, Like he didn't go all out a guy who we think will enjoy his last year getting every single ovation in every single arena, just four tweets. Well, you know, collabing with tops or whatever.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a brand deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sold four hundred thousand cards instantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he's also making a documentary. Yeah, that was not the only time we're gonna hear about Lebron joining the Sixers. I don't think that's true.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, and yeah, maybe that's why I took twenty seven days or whatever. It took a lot of docs being shot. Yeah, yeah, footage.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about Draymond Green. That was the big news from yesterday. Draymond Green has agreed to return to the Warriors on a one year, twenty seven point seven million dollar deal. So Green turned down is basically identical player option earlier this summer to help try and land Lebron. However, after Lebron eventually decided to head to Philly, Draymond and the Warriors moved forward on the new deal here. But I think a lot of people expected maybe he would sign a multi year deal. So the eye opening part is that it is just a one year deal here for Draymond Green.
Speaker 4: Your reactions to me, this just means it's going to be a lot of Golden State this year, saying, Okay, where do we get our star? Like you said, it's a one year option here, So they're gonna be waiting until probably next year. They're gonna try throughout this season to go get somebody. But it's a lot of rinse repeat with this team. That's just what it is. They're gonna have options to be able to trade to go get a start to help him and Steph. Essentially, they do have like a Kristaps Porsing is twenty million dollars contract, Here you go Pelicans, Trey Murphy is he available?
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 4: Kristaps Porzing is plus draft picks, so they have options. But really this is what it is. As you said, one year, So it's him and Steph signed for one year. They can hope that Jimmy Butler comes back. They can hope that Draymond Green helps out Yaxel Londenborg, who's gonna be twenty four and look really good in summer league. So there's that excitement. If Lebron comes and joins him, this team could be good. But really it's just one more year to me and hopefully for them they get it during the season rather than next offseason.
Speaker 2: But that's what it is to be.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're running back a thirty seven win team and they added a twenty four year old rookie. That's not exciting if you're a Warriors fan, but it does mean you're at least getting the band back together one more time. I guess Steve Kerr has two years on his deal. Steph Curry becomes extension eligible on August twenty ninth. We'll see what he decides to do. But they do have Draymond Stephan Jimmy. He is still there for at least another season. But the windows closed for the Warriors. Like I don't care if they pull off a trade for Trey Murphy, that would be awesome. He would be a great help to them. That doesn't put them in the conference in the conversation in the Western Conference for me, the Warriors have missed the playoffs in four of the last seven seasons. They've missed it in two of the last four seasons because they keep having to go into the play in. Their last real move to try and be a championship contender was Jimmy Butler. Yeah, the team looked good, yep, they were winning, and then Steph got hurt in the playoffs. That season was over. They come back next year. They're twenty five and nineteen. On January nineteenth, twenty twenty six, Jimmy Butler tears a ACL and that's the end of the era for the Warriors, especially if they're not going to be chipping in these future picks that they obviously could trade if they want to. But they're just eyeing a time when Steph Curry is no longer going to be a Warrior. They've been doing that for basically five seasons, looking ahead to when Steph is going to be retired. That means he might play for another team. I don't think it's likely, yeah, but it definitely is interesting that he's going to be extension eligible. If he doesn't sign it on August twenty ninth, people will start going crazy on the fake trades with this guy.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean they've already started. I mean, the whole entire conversation after Lebron has gone to Philly is now all eyes on Golden State and what's going on with Curry and this idea of like, yeah, they failed him? Have they failed him? Have they just been looking too far ahead? Did they botch? It feels like the Warriors front office did a lot of what I did in Croatia. Just treadwater, Just treadwater and the Adriatic Sea. Baby, you know, Salty's buoyant helps you there. But that's like what they're doing here, and it's sort of it's sad if you're a Curry fan of the Warriors fan going this guy still was at an elite level, maybe even still is of course, and what have they done. They just seem to strike out, miss out on every big name that's possibly on the market, from like your lowry marketings to your Giannises to obviously now even Lebron. But they're three highest paid players, Curry, Jimmy and Draymond. They could all enter free agency in twenty twenty seven, and then their fourth highest player, Porzingis, that deals only guaranteed for three million in twenty seven twenty eight, so there could be a super hard reset here. But then they do other moves, like even the Porzingis and the Horford of it all, it's like, well, what are you doing? You're not really picking the lane and you're sort of just again treading water is a way to put it. Yeah, so I frustrating.
Speaker 4: It is odd to see Porzingis signed again when he wasn't successful there, but he becomes one of those tradable contracts at twenty million. It's a nice number if you want to try and push forward with something around Steph Curry. But yeah, you can go into next free agency with all those guys coming off the books essentially and try and get somebody. So yeah, August twenty ninth will be interesting if he resigns. It'll also be interesting to see how much he plays this season, Like does he go all out and play eighty games, you know, seventy five games whatever it is after only playing forty three games last.
Speaker 2: Year, because he's really really good.
Speaker 4: As our man Marcus Thompson pointed out on the Athletic when Steph talked to him, after having limited number of games that he plays, his next season is really really good and so.
Speaker 2: He only played half the year last year.
Speaker 4: It'll be interesting to see if he's kind of slows play it, slow plays it, and then we can see what Jimmy Butler looks like in January February when he comes back.
Speaker 1: That's the issue too of their like whatever top seven guys are like not going to be playing for a majority of the season, and Jimmy Butler in moody, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like Jimmy's really old, so how's he going to bounce back?
Speaker 3: Like their top six paid players are all thirty five in the year, it's not a surprise when these guys miss fifteen to twenty games at a time. So I get the Warriors a lot of credit for actually going for Jimmy Butler. That was the one time they were able to actually get the guy they were going after. But they've struck out on Jalen Brown, Lebron Giannis Ad. They could have won after Kawhi if they wanted this summer, siakam Og, Paul George Lowry, Markinin they got Jimmy Butler. He's old and he got hurt within a year of them trading for him. So that's what happens when you stack with older players. And the unfortunate way with the way that the NBA salary cap works is like Curry is just getting more and more expensive. He's still a great player. He's not an MVP candidate right now. He's not like a top five player, but he's going to be paid like a top three player when it all comes said and done. So you go and look at the guys who ended up being lifers. Recently, Kobe's last season on the Lakers, they won seventeen games. Dirk's last season on the MAVs, they won thirty three games. When you get to that stage, when you're that highly paid but you're not quite at the level you were, it becomes impossible to build a real team around you. So if Steph Curry goes and signs like a sixty five million dollar extension, it's just going to be a tribute act until the end. And you know what, that's fine. I'd rather see Steph Curry win thirty eight games for the Warriors than when forty five games playing for the Charlotte Hornets next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's unlikely that they're able to support him with a second player, but they do have the options.
Speaker 3: Now, they have the options this summer. That's the thing with the Warriors. They always have the options. They can go after the same guy. So not only are they running back at thirty seven win team, they're running back Oh we're going to trade for the next big star as well, do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, those guys that you mentioned. Yeah, it'll all comes down to which guy are you giving up and the draft picks and so yeah, we can get into it. Jalen Brown was apparently available according to ESPN that they were able to offer a trade for in February.
Speaker 2: That was a rumor. So, yeah, there's lots of lots of options here.
Speaker 3: They said at the draft too, and the Warriors basically said four first rounders. That's too much for us. And the Sixers said, not for us, And they got Jaylen Brown and Lebron.
Speaker 1: And that's the big one. If you had gotten Jail Brown to.
Speaker 2: And Paul George two draft picks in Paul George.
Speaker 4: These numbers that were there thrown out, Oh, the Golden State Wars could have given up before. Yeah, if they could have these are all just rumors, that's all I mean. Yeah, they could have given up four picks. It only took two in Paul George for Philadelphia. I mean, it's it's just these these lookers all they are all just rumors.
Speaker 3: Again, Okay, but you don't think it's worth it for four first round picks and Jimmy Butler contract to get Jalen Brown.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, it's a lot. The Sixers didn't even do it, you know what I mean. It's like that makes more sense if it is two picks, two draft picks and Paul George. Anyway, all I'm saying is that it's all just these rumored numbers and all that. So I do think they do have the flexibility. Yeah, we are here again with the Golden State Wars.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt flexibility optionality is oh yeah, and they all they did this year was bringing in a twenty four year old rookie.
Speaker 3: That's it with their optionality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's not a good yeah me and look and then I mean not that we need to regurgitate it, but it's like all the picks they've had over these last couple of seasons, like I'm going back now, they struck out on a couple of them. And maybe it's different if it's not James Wiseman or even Kaminga and you know they nail one two of those, it's different because now there's young players that you either grow up alongside you're still court or you trade those guys and stuff like that, so or.
Speaker 2: You can trade your court.
Speaker 4: Literally, Draymond Green's contract is tradable, and it's always been as a rumor to be tradeable.
Speaker 1: Doesn't he make the exact same amount of money as a Trey Murphy?
Speaker 2: It's similar? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's go to the best free agents available here and the latest intel. Because Lebron made the NBA's most intriguing off season decision when he signed with the Sixers last Friday, the free agency still marches on. Maybe you know, other dominoes start to fall here. I guess Draymond Green did yesterday because we sort of I don't know, is a large batch. Probably that's a bit of a stretch. Some intriguing players still remain available. We got restricted free agents caught in some contentious contract standoffs. We got former superstars that are like just trying to extend their careers here. And we got some proven role players that could maybe help a team. So let's go through some here, ranking them. I guess you know the most impressive name still available. It's jail And Durant, restricted free agent with the Pistons. We've talked about this now here for weeks, but during the regular season, this guy was pretty impressive, looked like one of the best bigs in the league, especially considering his age. He earned an All NBA selection that made him eligible for a rookie Max extension. And then the postseason happened and his scoring drop from like twenty points per game to ten. His field goal percentage plummeted, his turnover rates skyrocketed, his rebounding rate dropped. I mean, he was and this was against what Wendell Carter Junior, and then the Calves so it was bad for him. You lost a lot of money. Now, Jake Fisher spoke to two gms this week who were of the impression that Duran's widely anticipated return to Detroit might not get finalized until closer to the start of training camp. So this could go on a while here, and mark Stein said, league sources tell him Durhan is waging the unappealing prospect of playing out the twenty six to twenty seven season on a qualifying offer. You're seeing a lot of that now, Duran, maybe Peyton Watson, this idea of just hell of a gamble. It would be, you know, especially if you got injured, just taking the minimal money here, not locking up a big term contract to then test unrestricted freegency. But what do you think here, tasks Jillen Duran as number one on our list.
Speaker 4: I don't think either of those guys you mentioned, Duran or Watson ends up taking just a qualifying offer for next season. I think they end up saying signing a long term deal. Although restricted free agency ain't all that appealing, it's the least sexiest term that we throw out there in July and August September, as you said, because it lingers. It ain't sexy anymore under this new CBA. I think Jayallenduran ends up signing with the Trick because there ain't no other options for somebody who's going to sign him anywhere close to the dollars that he wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all. It's all a figure. Does he get up to two.
Speaker 4: Hundred for five years? Seemingly it's gonna gonna get way lower than that, right.
Speaker 1: That's what I would of course, I believe his camp wants that forty plus million dollar annual average, and I'm sounds like the Pistons tray one closer to the thirty the thirty two maybe sort of range here, and this is the difference. Pretty big gap, honestly.
Speaker 3: Pretty big gap. But still, whatever Jalen Duran gets from the Pistons is going to be more than if he took the qualifying offer. And that's without having the potential to lose more money. He can't guarantee he's going to have a better playoffs this next coming season after having an awesome regular season. The guy was All NBA third Team, so he's looking at it. He's saying Walker Kessler thirty million a year. That guy's done nothing in the NBA. You better pay me forty million a year. Meanwhile, the Pistons are looking at saying, hey, they got Walker Kesler for thirty million a year. They had him over a barrel restricted free agency. That's probably an overpay for Walker Kessler. Maybe they think the Pistons that they can get Jalen Duran for under thirty million. To me, five for one fifty is probably what's going to happen. And you know, it breaks down whatever the annual average value is during that I just think it will last until probably September because there's no incentive for a team to really chase after Jason Jalen Duran. There's no incentive for the Pistons to go out of their way to increase their offer. They're in the right here. This is why restricted free agency works great for teams and not for.
Speaker 2: Players or agents.
Speaker 4: I mean, agents really have to go into every offseason thinking we got to get this done before he enters restricted free agency.
Speaker 2: That's got to be the new mo of an agent. Look at all the guys this year.
Speaker 4: Bennettt Mathern will get in, Peyton Watson will get into Kaminga.
Speaker 2: Well, actually he's now, but all of those guys, it's just it's terrible. Y're after you.
Speaker 1: That's even last year, right, yeah, Cam Thomas, Quinton Grimes probably forgetting other names.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's not good for restrictive agency for the players and the agents there. James Harden's number two on my lists. Now, I think this is just like a matter of when he signs with Cleveland. Seventeen year vet expected to sign with the Calves after he opted out of his pre existing contract to allow the franchise more financial flexibility. Again, maybe try and get Lebron back home. The potential new deal is expected to last no more than two years. That's the latest reporting. Best guess on what this looks like, TK, I mean, can I throw a two year eighty million? I know, I know, But think about the player option he turned down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you're probably right with regards to what he's actually turning down. But we know that basically James Harden has a wink wink deal with the with the Calves. It probably ended up costing them Lebron James Way. Reporting has gone where it looked like the Lebron didn't want to play with James Harden. He wanted to play with Darius Garland, who's now on the Clippers. But the Cavs did the deal with Harden and the like it, we're going to extend you when it comes time. So I guess, man, two years eighty million dollars. That sounds ridiculous to be But the problem I know, I know, but it's twenty twenty six Man, twenty sixteen. You don't need to be paying this guy forty mili per season when he's one hundred years old.
Speaker 1: Well, they went nineteen and seven when Harden came over and obviously made a run for them. At least they made the conference finals. That was the point they got wax. But yeah, what do you think on Harden here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is just waiting to see when the Mario Hazonia deal gets done, because that ain't even done. It's just about dollars for him. But I do think it's going to be less.
Speaker 2: I think you think I'm too high, Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 4: Think, Like like Draymond Green turned down twenty seven million dollars in a player option he was supposed to sign for three six if Lebron got there. Now it hasn't happened. It didn't happen. So he signed for one in twenty seven, and so I think the agreement, the handshake is cheaper than his player option over two years.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be cheaper just because there's another year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, And he's old third.
Speaker 1: On the list, you know, the aforementioned Peyton Watson restricted free agent with the Nuggets. Now, for those that are not keeping up with him, obviously an athletics swing man, had a really good year. Can hit threes or did hit threes at a consistent rate, high level havoc defensively, really talented on that end, especially when it comes to blocking shots for his size. So Stein reported that the Nuggets' initial contract offer was somewhere in the range of seventy million over four years, so seventeen and a half million per year. But that is a figure that is well below the other guy on his team. And I think this is the issue here in Christian Brown, who got the one hundred and twenty five million dollars five year extension last October. That's just about to kick in, like that's starting here, So twenty five mil per Watson's gotta be looking at him going, I'm better than him. I'm trajectory wise alone and even what I've already produced, So this one feels like a huge gap too. And again there's been some rumors of this idea if he takes just a qualifying offer to then hit on stricter free agency, which actually, oddly maybe the Nuggets would be okay with because they're working their books here and their aprons and all that. But you don't think that still is a thing because it's such a massive gamble for the player. I mean, you just tearing Achilles and then you're cooked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a unique scenario because they've entered the second apron, the only team that's there, so they're looking to move on from one of their other supporting guys, whether it's Christian Brown or Cam Johnson. I think Peyton Watson is actually more important than Aaron Gordon on this team. I know it sounds crazy because Aaron Gordon is their guy, but they need Peyton Watson's athleticism, they need his youth. Aaron Gordon's body is failing him, and Peyton Watson can be super, super good. It wasn't just shooting the three. I thought he was really good, and that sixteen game stretch where Jokic was out putting the ball on the floor and scoring, and defensively he was the best defensive player on the other side, So he's super important. Is it a gamble, Yeah, several years paying him. Yeah, because he was also injured this season. He also hasn't done it a lot in his career, so it is scary. The numbers being thrown out there are man Tony Jones at the athletic through five for seventy, so it's just fourteen per steining throughout the It's more like sixteen to eighteen, and that's what he's going to end up taking.
Speaker 2: But they need him so bad. It's such a.
Speaker 4: Drop off after Jokic and Jamal Murray. Whether it's Christian Brown not looking like himself and worthy of that contract, Aaron Gordon's body failing him, or Cam Johnson who didn't look like the player that they got. Now you can squint and say Kim Johnson was decent at times, Christian Brown was decent at times. But I think they really need Peyton Wan. But the books are an important part here. It's a unique scenario in Denver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Christian Brown's just lucky he came up for his contract before Peyton Watson did. At that point, when Christian Brown got paid his five year, one hundred and twenty five million, which, like your sayans Keets hasn't even kicked in yet, finally kicking in the season, Brown had accomplished more than Peyton Watson. Had a bad season last year after coming back from injury, Christian Brown did. Meanwhile, Peyton Watson had an awesome sixteen games, and he's trying to get paid basically off those sixteen games. I think the Nuggets need to keep him. If they're able to keep him on a five year, seventy million dollar deal, absolute steal for Denver. I don't actually think he can replace Aaron Gordon. I don't think Watson guards bigger guys the way that Gordon can. I don't think he rebounds in the same way. But it's more so he's going to be comparing himself to Christian Brown, and he's saying, Christian Brown's getting twenty five million a year. There's no way I'm taking anything less than that. It might mean he has to take the qualifying offer. I think it's more reasonable for him to do it, since he'll be taking less of a pay cut than Jalen Duran would be since Duran thinks he's, you know, a forty million dollar player. Watson less established doesn't have the all NBA credentials, but at least for him, there are some teams out there that could get to his number with trade exceptions. The Bucks are looking at him, the Clippers, the Hawks, they all want to do a sign and trade. That wouldn't be good for Denver, but at least it would be a way for them to get something back because it feels like they're pretty far apart on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fisher says the Nuggets are looking for at least two first round picks and a sign and trade deal involving Watson if they were to do that. Shaum's reported that the Nuggets lowered their asking price in a potential sign and trade. He said, quote, the Nuggets initially had set a price this offseason of similar to the Walker Kessler deal to first two swaps. Now apparently the price is a really good high level player as well as a first round pick. So as much as you say you love the idea of fear the Nuggets to keep Watson, task, yeah, maybe this is something they're exploring just because of the logjam of sort of these guys that sort of all play somewhat of a similar position and just all of them being paid here in addition to obviously, Yo kich As, you're a main guy, You've got Murray Max guy. I mean, they're they're squeezed here and there. Somebody does have to be moved. I'm with you. I'd have Watson above a lot of these other guys, the Cam Johnson's, the Christian Brown's for sure, the Aaron Gordon wants abatable. But yeah, this is this is a tough spot here, and maybe this is a sign in trade.
Speaker 4: A good sign for Denver Nuggets fans that they want to keep Payton Watson. The Nuggets haven't done a lot when it comes to the bench, and they let Tim Hardaway go and they let you know, as fall the tunas go, you know, they replace them with smaller parts.
Speaker 2: But maybe they are thinking, yeah.
Speaker 4: We're going into the attacks in a deep way that not a lot of people expect. That people think this team never spends money, and they're spending money at.
Speaker 2: Well at this point they can obviously change.
Speaker 4: But that's that's that's a good sign, I suppose. But yeah, they they got to move some part. It's just such an oddly manufact your team at this point with how everybody has sort of fallen off. Beyond Jokic and Jamal Murray.
Speaker 1: Number four on the list, another restricted free agent Benedict Mathren with the Clippers. He's a scorer, but his three point shot abandoned him in the second half of last season. I had a triple check. He's like, is this right? He shot twenty percent from distance after the All Star breaks, so it was a bad stretch there. But he is a scorer. Ben the Baker. At times he's a weird player because you know, we've seen him in finals games where he popped off and you're like, oh, this guy sort of looks like a potential maybe star in this league. And then at other times he looks unplayable. So he's a weird player. Fisher says, there are fresh rumbles. It's my new favorite.
Speaker 3: Saying fresh rumbles.
Speaker 2: Fisher.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Regarding Mathern's situation, sources say the Pelicans have showed the strongest trade interest in Mathrin, and there was also like a second unnamed suitor from the Steinlein and we have learned that it's Chicago Bulls. So a couple teams maybe kicking the tires here on something here With Bennedict Mathri, I'll start with you, Trey, your reaction to him here.
Speaker 3: Uh, He's just a guy. Benedict Mathren to me, is slightly smaller Jonathan Minga. He can score and that's about it. If he's rolling, it looks great. He had a couple of awesome finals games, which is basically all that anybody remembers about Benedict Mathrine. You mentioned he shot twenty percent for half of a season. Nobody thinks about that. They think about him scoring twenty four points in the final game. I think that somebody will get Benedict Mathren on a pretty cheap deal pretty soon and he'll be fine and we'll be talking about him again in free agency.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you go deeper than just the finals games, he had some good times with the Pacers where he's shooting the three really well, and so when he went to the Clippers, like you're referring to those last couple months of the season, yeah they're bad, but yeah, those times with the Pacers also just not consistent enough.
Speaker 2: You look through the whole.
Speaker 4: Catalog of to Dick Mathern he's shooting below average in terms of true shooting PERCENTA is across the board of an NBA player. There's below NBA average last season, and so it ain't that great. But he gets buckets, he gets to the rim, hes gets he puts pressure on a defense, which obviously is a skill that he has.
Speaker 1: And he's still young and all that. But yeah, he's number four here on the list. Let's pair him with Kaminga at number five with the Hawks right now. Now, the Calves are reportedly still interested. Maybe in a sign and trade to at Kaminga could be difficult because they are hard capped at the first apron, so it's a bit of a challenge there when it comes to a trade construction with Atlanta that they would find suitable. Fisher also says the Lakers would still like to sign Kaminga make them their starting small forward. There's a spot right here for you, Jonathan Kaminga, fifth on the list.
Speaker 4: I think that Lakers fit is questionable. You're going to start beside Luca and Austin Reeves.
Speaker 2: It's scary.
Speaker 4: You're not a great defensive player. That's clear. You can get buckets, but beside Luca and Austin Reeves, who isn't an incredible defensive player. You want somebody who's a really good defensive player. So that idea of a sign and trade, which has got to be multiple years, has got to be three years. You're devoting a lot to Jonathan Kaminga, who's never really been trusted at this point to have a long term deal, So that is questionable big time. Now you could say JJ Reddick will get him to buy in and coming off the bench and he'll be great and he maybe he can play fourth quarters. I get it, but it sounds like a lot of money when it comes to what the Hawks and the Lakers will end up agreeing to in a sign in trade.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what Kaminga's gonna make here, because he played pretty decently I thought in the first round for the Hawks. He looked good after the trade, like he was fitting in and everybody eats situation. He was running the court, he was looking like an athlete, and they said they ain't no way we're paying you twenty four point three million dollars. So we know Kuminga wants to get paid seriously, we know he wants a big role. I guess the Lakers have a slightly bigger role than the Cavs.
Speaker 2: I don't know, do they. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know either.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of hot usage players at the top of both of those teams rosters, so I don't know. I can't believe we're talking about Jonathan Kaminga's free agency again. This is a guy who is like I said with Benedict Mathrin, this is just a guy. There are a lot of guys who can score seventeen points a game on middling efficiency if you give him enough possessions, and those are two of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the Hawks continuously get a guy who's at the end of his contract, you're Kminga's, you're Kristaps Porzingis, and then let him go. So they are a great roster in terms of tradable players that you can put together and say, all right, superstar time eventually. And Kuminga could have been one of those guys if they brought him back for cheap, but they're not going to, so they have ton of assets otherwise, so they're just saying goodbye essentially.
Speaker 5: To a guy that played well. As you said, Trey, there are good times. Yeah, I mean I like that comparison. Now I think about it, Like you said, Matherine and Comingo, they're like you catch them on the right night again, you go, damn, they're that's a potential superstar.
Speaker 1: Honestly, you see it. Obviously, consistency is a huge issue. They are more just scores. That's the other thing. They're not helping in other ways. Will either of these guys like figure it out, like if I want to have a really long career here and make hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars, like commit myself to the defensive end as well and become maybe more of a team player, who will do that first? We'll both will neither. Yeah, I see a little bit of comparisons between them.
Speaker 4: It's a good comparison in terms of how much they've come off the bench and not been starters. But it seems like they're veering towards one guy will be okay being a starter and one guy won't. I'm guessing that Matherine will be okay being a bench guy, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: Maybe that could be very well.
Speaker 3: We hear a lot more about Cominga's role than we hear about Matherin talking about his role yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, six, seven and eight, I'm gonna lump together. It's Demarta Rosen, It's Bradley Beal, and it's Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Three yep, I was gonna say three future Hall of Famers and Bill very questionable. DeRozan I think he's in Westbrook is a lock. And then Beal is going to be one of those like maybe probably on the outside, but anyway, these guys are probably going to be on a new play.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, DeRozan has been linked to the Heat, the Warriors, a potential return of the Raptors. There was another one that just dropped, I forget the team that he's been linked to the Wizards.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shan said that that's right. The Wizards are looking for another score.
Speaker 4: The Wizards just played two seasons on the Kings.
Speaker 3: It's the difference.
Speaker 4: Well, he wants to, you know, maybe end his career somewhere where it's not a loser of a loser.
Speaker 3: I think the Wizards would be an upgrade from the Kings this season unfortunately.
Speaker 1: And then Bill Westbrook, like I said, yeah, of those three, I guess who interested in the most Intrigued the most by.
Speaker 3: Beale, I guess Honestly, Bradley, he's three years younger. That's the only thing I can say positively about any of these three guys. Apparently Westbrook is looking at Europe maybe.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's almost thirty eight years old. He also played for the King's last Yeah, these are just guys we know. Bet. Bradley Beal played six games last season. He had back surgery. I think right like, he might be three years younger, but that's an old man injury to have. But he was one of those guys. There's seventeen points out there, go get him, and he did it for the Suns. I still think Bradley Beal could get fourteen points coming off the bench for the Miami Heat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even if he's three years younger, he ain't gonna play as much as Damar.
Speaker 1: No, that's true.
Speaker 4: Damar plays and he's been in the league great seventeen years.
Speaker 2: He's playing whenever you want him to play.
Speaker 4: And so I think the fit there with the Miami Heat works the best because he's going to play a lot and they need a score desperately because of what they've constructed, how much they have to give up for Giannis. So I think Damar there makes sense. Is he just waiting around now because of the Kawhi Leonards scenario?
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's me reaching to say he wants to go back to Toronto, but it seems that's a hot thing, guys going back to their old teams.
Speaker 2: But I think Miami's the one.
Speaker 1: Other names because now we're getting into the mid of the dregs here. Bruce Brown, Oh yeah, that's your guy. You love it. Gabe Vincent, who's more of your guy? Gave Vincent or Bruce Brown tests because those are two free agents names still available.
Speaker 2: Jeremy, gimme the Bruce Bruce.
Speaker 1: Kelly, olennok Camp, Thomas, Brandon Williams actually was pretty solid as a guard for the Mavericks. He's out there. I think Nick Richards, Kevin Love there's another old guy. But toom old Seth Curry, I didn't say, Steph said Seth. That's where we're at here, Like you're interested in Bruce.
Speaker 2: Brown, Yeah, off a bench, he can help.
Speaker 4: He helped steal a ball from Rudy Gobert in Game one of the Nuggets Wolves series this year. That guy he played Game one of that series. Bruce Brown put up twenty Was it twenty or hold on? Or am I getting it conflated? He had like five steals that game. That was the one big steal out there. Getting in with Ruby Rudy Gobert feels like he's got some legs left. He's not an old man.
Speaker 1: So yeah, wait, same birthday?
Speaker 3: Are you the fifteenth?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The same birthday birthday.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that. Bruce, Bruce, Truce.
Speaker 4: Let's hang out, man. Yeah, I'm taking Bruce over. Gave Vincent? What are his stats?
Speaker 3: I'm impressed five steel game. I was gonna say, tell me something that Bruce Brown did last season because I can't think of it, But you're right, he did have a five steal game and apparently he helped steal a ball from Ry Gobert in Game one fourth quarter. If they scored thirty eight points total in the series, so he didn't have a twenty point game.
Speaker 4: I got maybe over inflating what he performed like in Game one, but I'm impressed.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed that you would know the five steals off the top of here.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 4: That was an awesome I thought he was the he was the key coming off the bench, being their energy. But they just let him go. I was a little surprised by that. Why not bring him back for a minimum? I guess they're just waiting to see what they do. They still could, I guess they could yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did play in every game last year for the Nuggets too, off the bench, But an eighty two game player in today's NBA is like, okay, good for you, Bruce giddy up.
Speaker 3: Okay, So do you think these guys will retire? Jeff Green, Kevin Loved, Nick Batoom, Garrett Temple, Thanasis, Onto Kakumpo, all free agents, tem Temple, Yes, I think Temple said yes.
Speaker 1: I think I thought so too.
Speaker 2: I think he announced I don't.
Speaker 1: I think Love will be on a roster?
Speaker 3: You think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I agree to do.
Speaker 1: The other ones you said, Jeff Green, Wow, I'd love to see one more Jeff Green dunk.
Speaker 3: He's got one like three teams he hasn't played for at this point in his career. He's never been a ball Come on down.
Speaker 2: Why not Nick?
Speaker 3: Buttoom he played like seventy five games last year.
Speaker 1: I could see ridiculous. I think he'll be on a roster.
Speaker 3: I think he's been trying to retire first seasons. He's like, I'm retiring after the paras Olympics.
Speaker 1: We won't let him, won't let him know he's still solid enough.
Speaker 3: No deal from the Heat. Yeah, thirty four years.
Speaker 1: Old, I'll towards the end of yeahs.
Speaker 4: Can his podcast producers outbid the Miami Heat keep him in Milwaukee on that couch?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's where we are at free agency. A lot of those the most interesting names that restricted free agents, for sure, especially if you believe Harden is just going to be signing with Cleveland there and whatever the number is. But the for sure the Durham, the Watson and the math room is is interesting, and they don't usually they don't use there's no team with cap spaces, so it's not like there's matching offers out there and you're like, oh, why isn't the Nets throwing it off? That just nobody has any So more likely than not, I guess they'll all be with their teams outside of a sign and trade or like a friction so much between the player and the agent and then the team. Let's let's say endurances case or something like where there's anger built up now and resentment. I don't know. It's it is a business. It's unfortunate you're still hopefully getting paid thirty plus million dollars, you know, and this is like life changing money. That's the thing. When you talk about the qualifying offer, you're like, okay, six million dollars, Like nobody's gonna roll their eyes at that, But like we are talking about one hundred and fifty plus million whatever, seventy million. Watson's ky like, this is this is your first massive deal. And again there's no gamble of an injury or stuff like that, or even you know, maintaining the level that got you into these conversations for that type of money, because then you get into the worry of like what if the franchise, you know, SOA buries us, Sodas buries the player so to speak a little bit, and pecking orders and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So there was a rumor out of there for Bendic Mathern going to the New Orleans Pelicans, as mark Stein put it, coming off the bench there.
Speaker 2: That kind of makes sense.
Speaker 4: It gets a one year trial to try and get paid against next season because the Pelicans like to give guys a try that didn't work out with other teams. You know, you're Jordan Poole's your Sadik Bazier de Jonte Marie even to some degree.
Speaker 2: So there, that seems like a good fit.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to drafting the worst NBA nicknames. This is something that we thought up earlier this week. We thought we could have some fun here as some summer activities on the show. We're going to do five rounds of this, so a lot of bad nicknames will be drafted. I had forgotten right before we went live to come up with a trivia question, as I like to do, to see of you two guys, who gets to pick first in our draft? So here it is, so here it is. Okay, it's got nothing to do with the NBA. What's the exact run time of Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey? I want total minutes, total minutes, okay, So don't give me hours minutes, just give me total minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'll let you go first, and then he.
Speaker 2: Can go over under one hundred and sixty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, one sixty one. You said one hundred and sixty one minutes from time, Well over one hundred and seventy two minutes, two hours, fifty two minutes. Yeah, yeah, did you do the I think correctly?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, I guess. I guess to forty one two hours, forty one minutes. But that's my mistake.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: I'll have to repeat myself from other shows. It flew by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's why I'm saying it was only two forty That's impressive. Good.
Speaker 1: I just got my tickets for Friday. I catch up with you guys. JD's already seen it eight times, so I gotta at least watch it once. I figure.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Trey figure out the how Lebron is Odysseus?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, of course, well I he yesked, So Trey, you have the first pick here in the Worst NBA Nicknames Draft. Now, all of these nicknames have to be on Basketball Reference. Yes, okay, you can't make up one like a weird pun tast has said maybe once upon time that's not on Basketball Reference. Gotta be on Basketball Reference. Uh, where are you starting?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really thrilled to get the number one pick because when I looked through all two thousand, eight hundred and forty four lines on the spreadsheet that was sent to us of these nicknames. Yeah, one stuck out to me. I had to have it. Like I said, two eight hundred and forty four entries. Some of these guys have more than one name, O god, yeah, easily five thousand nicknames in the Basketball Reference database.
Speaker 1: I would have to think even low yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the one that caught my eye that I knew I was going to pick with my first pick, assuming it lasted this long is a guy who played from nineteen sixty seven to nineteen seventy six in the NBA. His name was George Carter.
Speaker 2: I'm lying to you.
Speaker 1: He didn't even play.
Speaker 3: He played one season in the NBA, then everything else in the ABA. His name is George Carter and his nickname is dirty dingis what steel.
Speaker 1: I was wondering how people were going to approach this, like, were you gonna with names and players that we actually knew, or just straight up guys we've never heard of but have a crazy nickname like dirty Dingas George.
Speaker 3: And Trey answered the question.
Speaker 1: He's going with the obscure player with the crazy nickname. Okay.
Speaker 3: I got some names on the list, guys that we know, and of course, as we all remember, George Carter was an All Star for the Virginia Squires in the seventy one season in the ABA. So a known player. But George dirty Dingus Carter.
Speaker 1: Did you do any research on why nickname? No, didn't want that in your no. No, okay, George Carter. There's a nineteen seventy Western comedy named dirty Dingus McGee.
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy did you say? Okay? So like same time frame.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if there's any crossovers. Yeah, and there stars Frank Sinatra and George. Oh wait, maybe that's is that the tie? What George can Okay, it's the sheriff. I guess I don't know how we got it.
Speaker 3: I I'll did some research, that's all right, So give me the dirty Ding.
Speaker 4: That was the time for questionable nicknames. I mean that those couple decades, decades.
Speaker 2: I didn't even mean to say that, but.
Speaker 4: Lots of lots of questionable ones. I kind of stayed away from that time. That era.
Speaker 3: Of era.
Speaker 1: Every second guy you met on this street was named dirty dingas.
Speaker 4: Although with my first pick, I'll stay in that that region, that physical region. Mason Plumley, his nickname is Plums, not fin It's it's just it's it's the genitals, let's be honest, and somebody can literally start talking trash to you. On the other side, you can be picked on. You know, somebody will literally grab their plums and say, I just kicked in the plums. Uh, you know, suck on these plums, that kind of thing. So yeah, just because I'm staying in the same region, I didn't find this hard at all. I think there's like a thousand names.
Speaker 2: But now now the.
Speaker 1: Good thing for Mason Plumbley Plum's bad but plumb Dog Millionaire, I think good because you've said it for years.
Speaker 2: But solid I'm a fan of that one.
Speaker 4: Well, you just brought up the movie that came out for for the Dingus. Yeah, that happened to Mason Plumber Well time.
Speaker 1: Okay to off the autmore interesting. I didn't have them on my short list.
Speaker 3: I wonder if anywhere, like, oh no, I think there's one.
Speaker 1: That I'm like, one of you is going to take. I am going with, well, our best player of the bunch, no offense to George Carter or Mason Plumbley. I'm going for my worst NBA n name, my number one pick. Marii Stodameer's stat that's a horrible nickname. Now it's an acronym for standing tall and talented.
Speaker 3: Which I think makes it worse. It was just stat.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, does he just fill a box score? That's what it's about. That's cool, big number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 1: No, standing tall and talented. It's a self given nickname. That's the thing. I think he's got it tattooed on his arm. It's how he used to be addressed by everyone around. Yeah, Stat, what's up? Stat? And again, that's not bad. But when you know what it stands for, I guess the standing tall. Like he's only six' ten now tall among common. Folk is that tall in THE nba? World, YEAH i guess it's. Close but still it's more about proud and. CONFIDENCE i think that's the standing.
Speaker 2: Tall never caught on and never Got and you know.
Speaker 3: WHAT i hate about? It Like.
Speaker 1: Amari first, Off amari is an awesome, name, right even when he changed the spelling of it a couple of times where we were putting the apostophe and if it was in there and all, That but like he was a super natural role, Athlete like this guy was in a league full of. Athletes he's like on another. Level, Right so it just like didn't really ever work for, Him SO i don't like. It Stats i'm with, You, okay he.
Speaker 3: DOESN'T i mean they also list The Little tyrant And Little lord for, him SO i mean that's WHAT i. Know those are all.
Speaker 4: Bad he goes from standing tall to being. Little you, know he didn't have.
Speaker 1: One he didn't have a good, one, no which is weird to me because it's like we compare him like To sean camp right at the. TIME i, mean he's got one of the coolest nicknames of all, time right, Man like what we couldn't come up with anything From marit.
Speaker 4: But but we've likened his career To Blake. Griffin's blake doesn't have one. Either What's Blake griffin's?
Speaker 3: Nickname he, literally he literally doesn't.
Speaker 2: Have one on basketball.
Speaker 3: Reference he doesn't have even a bad. One that's.
Speaker 4: Surprising that is because He's Blake. Griffin you think there'd be something out. There, OKAY i got, Weird, great all.
Speaker 3: Right try back to. You all, right this is a guy you maybe have heard, Of Bobby. Simmons you guys Remember Bobby.
Speaker 1: Simmons oh, yeah, Yeah, Bill i'm trying to rack my brain what it? Is good.
Speaker 3: Luck two thousand and one to twenty, Twelve Bobby simmons. Played he was the twenty two thousand and four five most improved, player A chicago. Legend his nickname Is Chinese.
Speaker 1: Food wanted a, Lot yeah food once.
Speaker 3: You would think, That but it turns out that When Bobby simmons was playing for The, clippers and prior to the two thousand and three four, Season clippers were going to be playing in an international game against The Seattle, SuperSonics they were going to be playing In, tokyo and they said what do you what do you think about going to play In? Tokio And Bobby simmons, SAYS i don't Like chinese. Food now his nickname Is Chinese, food.
Speaker 1: So this has to be a nickname that other teammates aside to. Him, right, wow you're on my, Team, Bobby Chinese, Food chinese very. Good, okay that's a good, One Bobby. SIMMONS i forgot he won an. Award here's a good. Player, yeah it was all, Right it's.
Speaker 3: OKAY i feel like he was like on the edges Of All star conversations at some. Point, maybe oh, wow, Really Bobby. Simmons maybe, okay that's sixteen six and three maybe?
Speaker 1: Four, yeah, Okay chinese food is Got chinese? Food what do you got?
Speaker 4: Tests i'm going with another big name, Player Tyre's haliburton's the.
Speaker 2: MOMENT i hate it as a. Nickla oh you don't like? It here comes the moments down the. Floor you can't address him by that.
Speaker 4: Nickname no you, can't you know if you're sitting down and, saying, Okay Tyres haliburn had some. Moments here is the moment that he did against The New York nickson round. One, okay would you say it that?
Speaker 1: Way got cool, Moments.
Speaker 4: But when it comes to actually addressing, him actually talking about basketball in a sense that that's what you would call, him not even. Close it's just not. Good so, yeah they. MISSED i understand.
Speaker 2: The and then a cool word but the, answer, yeah but, nah you know this as?
Speaker 1: Well is it better or worse than him A, burton which is also asball, reference he is, him Not hallie him A. Burton that's that might be worse than the, moment but they're both pretty.
Speaker 2: Bad but that was, yeah an, era an? Era is it?
Speaker 4: OVER i don't know where everybody started Saying i'm. Him, yeah oh, yeah and So.
Speaker 1: I've got another potential him on my. List, actually Maybe i'll just take him right now BECAUSE i hate all of his, Nicknames Josh, giddy Good, Him Ithy, Salome.
Speaker 3: Wizard Of.
Speaker 1: Oz, okay The australian connection, there that's not that's probably the least offense of vanilla. Magic and then my real answer here For Josh kitty Slob. Wizard, yeah, now now that's a HULLANDRO i BELIEVE i think he came up with. It Slob, wizard uh sidelines out of bounds. Wizard he's very good at these plays and great, playmaker but ununfortunate, nickname especially with other things that were then happening around the same time With Josh gitty in the. News Slow wizard is. Bad do we have A t shirt with?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Yeah we, Do, YEAH i own.
Speaker 3: One yeah it's a house.
Speaker 2: Shirt.
Speaker 4: YEAH i.
Speaker 1: Know you can't wear a Slow wizard you dirty.
Speaker 3: Ding that's the equivalent to a dirty.
Speaker 1: Shirt for.
Speaker 3: Sure i'll Go Josh. KITTY i don't like any of, those but.
Speaker 1: Really Slow, WIZARD a Slow wizard is my selection that takes.
Speaker 2: It, yeah all of them are.
Speaker 4: Questionable, Yeah, okay round.
Speaker 1: Three back to T.
Speaker 3: K i'm going with the classic nickname, here a classic bad nickname or a good, nickname but more of an insulting. Nickname this one comes to us from the nineteen. Nineties it comes to us from here In. Atlanta i'm going With John concact Aka John. CONTRACT i had.
Speaker 1: This on my short. List that's.
Speaker 3: Awesome, yeah it's awesome to be known for signing a legendarily bad deal and they just call you A John contract for the rest of your. Life because he had the temerity to sign a two point two million dollar deal in nineteen eighty. Nine like he's making less than the veteran minimum, now but it was a ton of money back then For John, concak who didn't really ever do anything in THE. Nba what do you think his career high in points per game?
Speaker 1: WAS i can't imagine he scored over? Ten so.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Eight?
Speaker 3: Seven, yeah, yeah this must have been his rookie. Year it looks like went for eight and six mostly off the.
Speaker 1: Bench strong start.
Speaker 3: For The hawks. There So John, contract you're on my. Team that's pretty because that's.
Speaker 2: Such a good.
Speaker 4: NICKNAME i, thought WAS i creating the contract that he actually ended up signing BECAUSE i remembered him being multiple years bigger. Number yeah that is let me see six YEARS i, google but six years, Thirteen milt.
Speaker 1: Amazing that's great for.
Speaker 2: Him what it's a good, nickname, man.
Speaker 3: He, Says what WAS i supposed to? Do? Say, no, yeah, man you're. Right, great they're offering.
Speaker 1: It, oh what's the worst is going to? Happen weird? Nickname put on my. Basket that's a good. ONE i got thirteen million. Dollars do you THINK i?
Speaker 4: Care we could easily have a draft of the best. Nicknames AND i think that you like this. One, yeah you're known for something of the rest of your life instead of just Being John.
Speaker 3: True it's a simple first, thing all, Right where you?
Speaker 4: GOING i like going with big name. Guys and, UH i Think Ason kid For Jason kidd because he didn't have.
Speaker 2: Insulting it's.
Speaker 4: Insulting, OKAY i understand at the beginning year your, career you're not a. Shooter it's a funny nickname dropped To. Chase his name's. Asen but when he developed a, shot you could take that off basketball, reference just remove.
Speaker 3: It let's grow.
Speaker 4: Up let's let's say what we got to. Say about this. Guy he had A jay later in his. Career, definitely So ason sex to BE u for you.
Speaker 2: Know but, anyway As.
Speaker 3: Ason kid is a good like slander nickname handle of its.
Speaker 1: Day oh, yeah all, Right i'm gonna go with my most obscure player here BECAUSE i have A mari And Josh kitty obviously everybody knows. Them but give me a guy Named Carson. Edwards you, know fairly. Recent you, Know i'm not going back to the seventies. Here if you don't, remember he's a two Time All. American he was selected thirty third overall in the twenty nine draft by The. Celtics played a total of seventy two games in THE nba before WHAT i can, tell having a very successful international. Career he's bounced around, internationally but he's playing and sure making some. Money but one Of Carson edwards nicknames was just the name of an older player he reminded people. Of his nickname Was Eddie.
Speaker 3: House this is insane to, me surprising NOW i see the. Similarities.
Speaker 1: Again you probably don't remember much Of. Carson he was a small. Guy he was like five to. Eleven Eddie house wasn't much. Bigger he's probably listed at six to one or, something but he's like basically six foot. Guy but just to have a just to have a nickname of some other guy that people just reminded you. Of you're, like, oh, yeah you played Like Eddie. House we're gonna call You Eddie. House it's so offensive to me for some reason called dirty dingis please and there Was i'm doing a little. RESEARCH i saw this On celtics blog obviously a long time Fantastic celtics blog, somebody Because Carson edwards had like ludicrously muscular, thighs like he had huge thighs and like a rely like his shorts were like a, problem like they were too. Tight people wanted to call him meat buckets because he was a good scorer and those big old hamhock. Thighs so that's, better still, worse we're still bad meat. Buckets but instead he's just Called Eddie. House and that's On basketball the. Front So i'm Going Eddie house For Carson. Edwards it's my most obscure.
Speaker 3: Pick my kids have taken to call in my legs sweaty meat. Logs SHOULD i be? OFFENDED i came up with, it but its liked my basketball.
Speaker 4: Referencing sweaty as thick as meat buckets.
Speaker 3: Legs, yeah.
Speaker 1: You like slim jimsy.
Speaker 4: Very.
Speaker 3: Much fourth, ROUND a couple more rounds of. This, wow this is tough. MAN a lot of nicknames on the. BOARD i got three THAT i really, like and they're all guys that basically you've never heard. Of i'm going With Dennis. Autry Who's Dennis? Autry, yeah. Exactly he played seven hundred and thirty THREE nba, games so he played for a long. Time he's got a nineteen seventy NINE nba. Championship who would have that been?
Speaker 1: With who was seventy Three seattle super so.
Speaker 3: Went To Seattle. SuperSonics i didn't do research into why they called him, this but, Uh Dennis awtry's nickname is moose.
Speaker 6: Bread, Tough, yes Stinky, yeah, yes one day had stinky breadth not forever you're a moose.
Speaker 1: Breath that's really the best, nickname like you, know like that's like a school, nickname.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah is This Steaky pete THAT i knew a? GUY i, mean.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately for, him he was stinky and his name Was. Pete it was Sneaky pete from there, On Sneaky.
Speaker 3: Pete this guy came in after eating moose one, Day, like all, right loose, bro we saw that woman wearing a tall hat once we call their tall. Hat the rest of the exactly moose, bread tough.
Speaker 1: Stuff oh, yeah we're the kings of those type of. Nicknames moose. Breath, wow you ever had?
Speaker 3: Moose?
Speaker 1: Anybody? Ever do you seem any moose when you're a?
Speaker 3: Yellowstone?
Speaker 4: No saw animals that look like? Moose he has question some of these. EMUs there's there's there are mule there animals called mule. Deers, oh never heard of?
Speaker 1: That are they?
Speaker 4: Large you can, think you can think that they're? Mood not quite a moose for, You, yeah not quite a.
Speaker 3: Moose it's got weird.
Speaker 2: Ears.
Speaker 3: Huh nice coold moose.
Speaker 2: Bread never seen, him moose.
Speaker 1: Breath Dennis Autry is he a one name nickname guy On Basketball? Reference or oh, no he's got a lot what else? Tree he's tall six, ten two thirty. Five dennis The menace and harpo.
Speaker 2: Harp what's up with this? Guy? Yeah this?
Speaker 1: Guy, yeah all, right tass your fourth.
Speaker 4: Pick another big name guy, Here tracey, McGrady The Big. Sleep you, KNOW i Guess i'm just against these pejorative. Nicknames that's not. Nice it's not nice to call this guy The Big. Sleep, now he did kind of have sleepy, eyes or he still, does, definitely but you, know one of the best scores of the.
Speaker 2: Game call him The Big.
Speaker 4: Sleep you don't really you think of him having sleepy eyes when he's off the, court, really you, know like not, REALLY i don't.
Speaker 3: Know his eyes were usually. Open but wasn't he like one of the early guys to be, like, YEAH i love taking a, pregame.
Speaker 1: MAT i think, So i'm not.
Speaker 3: Sure still The Big sleep is.
Speaker 2: Funny, yeah all, right maybe maybe it's growing on.
Speaker 4: Me but T mac The Big, sleep it's just T mac is the, one the only one you remember him.
Speaker 2: As he's too good to have more than.
Speaker 1: One really my fourth, PICK i Guess i'll go with this. One markel. Faults how did a? Nickname, yeah you probably you're, like, well you're, right you're racking your brain right. Now you're, like what was his? Nickname?
Speaker 3: Quickwash what quick?
Speaker 1: Wash Justin anderson did? It former. Teammate he called him quickwash because of his uh, faults his, SIGNATURE i, guess very fast spin. Move so they called Him. Quickwash, okay but it's UNFORTUNATE i think for a guy Like falls who then had a rough career and fell off and you, know seemingly forgot how to shoot a, basketball and then like you're, like, oh he's. Washed so that's where my mind immediately. Goes but it's actually about a signature, move WHICH i guess he was pretty good at. THIS i don't really think of him like, that but Obviously anderson saw something coined the. Moniker BUT i think it's not. GREAT i just also don't doesn't sound good. Either there it goes quick.
Speaker 3: Wash maybe maybe it could have lasted if he wasn't quickly washed exactly part of the.
Speaker 2: Problem.
Speaker 4: Tough, yeah it seemed Like Justin anderson was just trying to be. Smart you know he took the spin, cycle you know.
Speaker 1: That, yeah he was trying to get creative with. It but then you're also, like what does this guy shower for like eight seconds after a.
Speaker 3: Game he's in and, out always ready to do. Media, uh so.
Speaker 1: Quick, WASH i WROTE i wrote an elevator With Markel folts. Once, okay, yep, yeah that's my story. Clean, yeah he was.
Speaker 3: FRIENDLIES i was ever on an elevator with no dirty dingus on market quick.
Speaker 1: Wash all, right one more round of bad.
Speaker 3: Nicknames oh, GOOD i got MY i got two last Guys i'm interested. In i'll give a shout out To Tony, campbell whose nickname Is. Blumpy not taking him, Though, Sorry, Tony i'm going for A Sacramento. King his name Was Dwyane.
Speaker 2: Causwell.
Speaker 3: Oh he played in the nineties into the two. Thousands his nickname the very nineties The, Cosonator Dwyane coswell The, cosinator cosinating the.
Speaker 1: Causes The cousinator sounds like a nickname of a buddy you went to high school and, specifically, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's a good. Guy he's got twelve subs in his. Trunks twice divorce but good. Guy the good guy never got out Of plano. Unfortunately WHAT i really like About Dwayne coswell The causinator is there's now a guy on The Sacramento kings Named Dylan, cardwell, right aka The Cardinate. Cardinator so, yeah give me The. Cousonator AM i influenced by my Friend jerry? Whoever but hey calls The? Shrimpinador? Probably, yeah but The causonator is it for?
Speaker 1: Me over any? Universe that's, right the. Shrimpinador god just loves. Shrimp uh maybe, yeah The coswell just love. Causes, Okay Dwayne, coswell that's that's definitely a basketball CARD i hated to.
Speaker 3: Get, yeah, man not another causewell throw that one, up all, right toss your last, pick my last.
Speaker 4: Pick It's Damon jones for a couple of. Reasons, first has the name of our old Show Basketball. Jones that's one of his nick that but more so because his second a, nickname best shooter in the. World it's you, know it's it's a fine. Nickname but now what he's going through legally pleded it, guilty pled guilty In Brooklyn Federal court to two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud On april, twenty twenty twenty, six just doesn't jive. Anymore the worst gambler in the world.
Speaker 1: Your nickname At, yeah he.
Speaker 4: Ain't the best, anymore, Unfortunately Damon. Jones so, yeah that's why it just none of it.
Speaker 1: Fits the best shooter in the, world.
Speaker 4: Best shooter in the. World, wow literally all of those words as one. Nickname it's a. Lot best Dam here Comes Damon, jones best shooter in the. World it's a weird.
Speaker 1: Man when did He did he ever have a small window where he could actually claim, THAT i mean it was a good. Shooter oh, yeah he was for a three point. Shooter. Obviously did he ever lead the league in three point shoot in the.
Speaker 4: League in effective field goal? Percentage sixty one point one? Percent, okay that's pretty. Solid played eighty two games that. Season he played a lot of. Games forty from three that.
Speaker 2: Year that's not.
Speaker 4: Bad forty three percent from three while shooting fifty one point seven percent from two for a. Guard very. Good you know what this guy is the best? Shooter he was for one.
Speaker 2: Year it's Actually Damon jones with The Miami. Heat all, Right.
Speaker 1: My final pick worse nicknames On Basketball. REFERENCE i can't Believe i'm going to do, this But i'm looking in the mirror with this. One, Guys Joe johnson The Armadillo. Cowboy that's, right that's a NICKNAME i came up with and gave The Joe johnson way back in the Basketball jones. Days it somehow got added To Basketball. Reference it's stuck around, enough AND i just wanted to pick this one because there's a VERY i guess a little weird story that goes with it like people are, like why is he called The Armadillo? Cowboy LIKE i get you, know you see people's tweet that this, day they see it on his Bat what the hell is? That do you ever? REMEMBER i don't know jd or tasks of WHY i called him The Armadillo. COWBOY i cannot. Recall, yeah, YEAH i Think i've only shared this. Once, YEAH i definitely shared it once way back in the Basketball jones. Day but here's what happened of why he got the nickname The Armadillo. Cowboy here was my thinking it was a. Mistake CUTS i had Watched so this is When Joe johnson must have been when he was on The, hawks and he was Like, Iso Joe joe?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: Right he was? Cool he was he was very, talented he was. Good he was an all. STAR i watched a documentary By Spike, jones a short. Documentary it was Called armaillo By. MORNING i don't know if you guys have seen. It it's like this ninety eight documentary About Spike jones following these like two suburban kid kids that want to be cowboys and like sort of professional bull, riders but. Cowboys and he just follows a day in the life of, them and they're, like they're like sort of, cool and it's like it was a really cool doc AND i was trying to say The armarillo, cowboy and that was the link from this these cool sort of like doc and kids THAT i saw on this thing To Iso Joe joe. Cool that was WHAT i was thinking WHEN i said it on this podcast back and in the. Day BUT i of course screwed it up and said The Armadillo, cowboy not The armarillo.
Speaker 3: Cowboy and that's how we got to.
Speaker 1: It so that's how he now has The Armadillo, cowboy and it just. Stuck that's good because it was definitely somebody, said and you were like what AND i couldn't you, KNOW i couldn't correct. Myself, yeah. EXACTLY i was, like you know, what maybe it does sound better in a weird. Way, yeah especially nickname though you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't think, it but we do have armadillos In, atlanta like you'll see you'll see it on the.
Speaker 1: Road you're.
Speaker 3: Right unbelievable to, ME i thought they were exclusively A southwestern, creature but they're apparently here in The southeast as, well just Like Joe johnson, was but he played In phoenix.
Speaker 1: Too he played In phoenix. TOO a lot of. Arms where is he?
Speaker 3: From?
Speaker 2: To is He?
Speaker 3: Arkansas In? Arkansas?
Speaker 1: Man do they Have armadillos In?
Speaker 3: Arkansas i'm only familiar with, Twos.
Speaker 1: That's how we got. There so, yeah he's got he's got good. ONES i Saw, Joe joe, cool big Shot. JOE i think it's. Fine you, know it's a classic for a bunch of. Guys but, uh and then it just says armadillo, cowboy AND i love that so. Much so there you. Go it's a dumb ass nickname and it was a. Mistake and, uh the only THING i would suggest is Watch armarillo by. Morning i'm sure it's online By Spike jones ninety eight. Documentary. Great there it is fifteen of the WORST nba. Nicknames there are thousands. Left you tell us what we, missed what should have been. Drafted let us know in the. Comments i'm sure the stream team probably is sharing a bunch right.
Speaker 3: Now they're not necessarily going in on, it but they surely. Will AND i, mean there's so many bad. Ones we could easily do this. Again one that stuck out to me Was james One. Cotton his nickname was one hundred. Percent that was, Great that was.
Speaker 1: Good, yeah just the.
Speaker 3: Fabric there's some bad.
Speaker 1: Ones there are some very bad. Ones i'm always surprised That leelis never got the donk up there For Luka dauncic on his.
Speaker 3: Because he's got a.
Speaker 1: Million, yeah and that would be, fun something fun too to go through and see who has the most nicknames Basketball, reference Because luca has won, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine ten are on. There, Wow lebron's got a.
Speaker 3: Lot Darryl dawkins would have a.
Speaker 2: Lot, yeah, yeah coach has. Eight.
Speaker 1: WOW i was just who coached The croatian, sensation the. Waiter those are the.
Speaker 3: TWO i had a massive document of a lot of things that cross. Over there was like sixty six players that had mister listed in their, nickname Including Jose, calderon Mister, caterine mister mister.
Speaker 1: Doesn't Doesn't DeRozan have a MISTER i AM i Am.
Speaker 3: Toronto there's a couple of guys who are just Mister Keith.
Speaker 4: Jennings Mister Michael jordan has Twelve, okay so On jordan has twelve and he has one THAT i IF i If i'm trying to remember that somebody's name Is, MIKE i Use Magic mike as a nick, name which, is you, know something That Michael jordan apparently has and something That Channing tan was really good at Being Magic.
Speaker 2: Mike that's, true that's.
Speaker 3: True all, right we'll call it.
Speaker 1: There here for a Random wednesday show talking about the best free agents left on the, Board Draymond green got in a Little lebron To philly talk because that was my first time talking about it with you. Guys and then the WORST nba nicknames want to hear? Yours check out the basketball reference pages and find the WORST nba nickname in your. Mind let us know in the comments. BELOW i think you guys addressed this late last, week but the movie poll results are in and we know we are Doing pirates of The. Caribbean congrats TO U tasks on your movie franchise coming. THROUGH i was always confident was going to be Either Indiana jones Or, pirates And india was leading early and then The pirates' heads came out and voted him backed that. One so can you remind me how many movies are in that? Franchise just The, fivero happy to, Hear happy to. Hear so we got to start recording, these watching these and then reviewing these and talking about. THESE i think it's going to be a fun, pick THOUGH i. WAS i was happy with the people come through forty percent of. Them oh, yeah we're gonn have some fun with this. One i've barely seen any of. Them you guys, say some of them are good and then a lot of them are.
Speaker 4: Crap the first three first a Good jesus.
Speaker 2: Diference they all tie.
Speaker 1: In, okay, Okay so we will be doing that as our next summer movie. Franchise that's coming here in Early august at some.
Speaker 2: Point.
Speaker 1: Otherwise we're back On friday with The drop, podcast so hopefully you'll join us live or watch. Later listen to the podcast, later hit the like, wedon, subscribe five star ratings and. Reviews Clipper. Bros you heard it here, first have a great, time turn, Up love you guys.
Speaker 4: Awesome thanks for joining, us and Remember Luka doncic's nickname should be Zip lock because he preserves his.
Speaker 1: Teammates embrace the day, people