Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Thursday. Gangs all here ready to go. Todd Fritz, the Minister of Humor, seat and Marv Pauli yours truly and the back room guys. Coming up. We'll talk to the Pro Bowl safety for the Ravens, Kyle Hamilton. A little later on Mike Breen. He was on the call last night with the Cavaliers and the Thunder. He'll stop by. Greg McElroy, former Alabama quarterback. He'll be on the call for tonight's Notre Dame game against Penn State. He will stop by. Your phone call is always welcome. Operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Eight seven to seven three DP Show stat of the Day brought to you by Pennini America official trading cards of the program. Say good morning, Good morning to those watching on Peacock, and thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. The twelve team playoff narrowed down to four and you have Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame in Texas. National title would be a really big boost for Ryan Day, particularly after four consecutive losses to Michigan. For the other three, the pressure could be even higher when you think about Penn State. They won a national championship in nineteen eighty six. Notre Dame. Last time they won a national title nineteen eighty eight. Texas. Texas had five losing seasons in the span since they last won a national title in two thousand and five. But Steve Sarkisian has done a really good job. You're starting to hear a little bit now. A lot of times this will be an agent who will say, hey, you know, I think people are reaching out to Steve Sarkesian, Hey, Marcus Freeman may be interested. And now that usually is an agent trying to get his client a new deal to stay. I don't know if you know Less Miles. It felt like every year when he was at LSU, and I think he Arkansas is interested in Less. We got to wrap him up. Wait, we just we just wrapped him up last and I don't give him a new contract. I kept thinking, just let him go, like if you aren't interested, then go. But I don't think Steve Serkesian is going I think he's built for the for the college game. Marcus Freeman built for the college game. You know, when Pete Carroll went to Seattle and I thought, now, you know, we can question why he was leaving USC to go to Seattle. But he did go to Seattle, and I think he realized it wasn't a good team, but it had, you know, it was in the embryonic stages of being a really good team. And then they were very fortunate to get Russell Wilson without Russ. I don't think the legion of boom, I don't think. I don't think they have a Super Bowl and another Super Bowl appearance. But Pete, Pete has that youthful energy when you see him. And then if I say, hey, who looks older Belichick or Pete Carroll or Nick Saban, You're going to say, well, the other guys do. Well. Pete's older, pet I think is seventy three. But let's ignore his age. Let's just say if this is candidate A, this is candidate B, this is candidates So if I said, you can have Ben Johnson Detroit offensive coordinator, you can have Aaron Glenn defensive coordinator there, or you could have Pete Carroll, And I just said, look at their resumes, Well, you're going to go, well, that guy won in the college, he won in the NFL, and well you would take him. Yeah, but he's seventy three. Then you would go, oh, well, I'm not going to hire him. Then if you're going to hire him because of his talent, then hiring because of that. I don't think using age against somebody is fair to Pete Carroll. I mean, I'm surprised that he has been out of the loop here, out of the mix. I was surprised that he's back in the mix, maybe getting a couple of interviews here. It goes back to if I ran a team, I would bring in as many candidates as possible. And this is what I never understood about the Bears last year. Jim Harbaugh's there, whether you're going to hire him or not, he's there. Bring him in for an interview, Bill Belichick, bring him in for an interview, because I'm going to gather all this data because they're going to come in and try to convince me that they're the person for the job. Well, how are you going to do that. I'm going to tell you how to run your organization. I'm going to tell you what I think of that player. Your defense, your wide receiver. Why wouldn't I collect that data? See you bring in Pete Carroll. Pet's been out of the game for a while. He's teaching a class at USC and bring him in. See what he says. The only thing I would worry about with coaches as they get older, if they're set in their ways. You know Bill Belichick, he can't be set in his ways at North Carolina, and maybe he was set in his ways in New England. Those last, you know, three or four years. You have to be willing to evolve. You can't go kicking and screaming. And what you're finding is a lot of coaches they don't want to stay around because they won't evolve. They don't want to put up with year to year. Did you hear Mick cronin UCLA head coach after a loss the other day calling his team soft? They're delusional, Like that's not coaching. That feels personal. And I'm sure that there is some part of that, you know, rant that he has said to them. But when you say it publicly, now, all of a sudden, you walk up to those players and you say, Hey, what does coach mean by delusional? Hey, who's soft on it like now you created something, something more. Okay, it's up to you to motivate them. You recruited them, it's up to you and their kids. You're a grown man and you're saying we're soft and these kids are delusional. Okay, who recruited them, who's coaching them? How did they get delusional? How did they get soft? It starts with you. But that's where you have to I don't believe in this babying, you know, sensitivity and all. I think there is tough love. I think there's room for that. You know, God forbid, you played for Lombardy. You know people would probably like, you know, I mean, like, what's going he's yelling at me? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never got that when a coach started yelling at me. And I had a coach who did yell at me, I just tuned him out. But if he did talk to me in a way that was stern, it was like, oh okay, got my attention. But he would just yell guy, golly, golden boy, get out of here, and I'd be like, here you go. But you know, when you see somebody grab a face, man, Lou Holts did that for a player, grabbed his face, like, what are you doing? What do he hate? I never believed, Bob Knight, never believed in that you ask for your players to have composure and then you don't have composure. Practice what you preach and if you bring in players, you know how. You have to understand the landscape here. And these kids are more entitled now than they've ever been. They get money, they want money. They may stay for more money, they may leave for more money. Am I getting playing time? These coaches want control, they don't have control, and it drives them crazy. Seaton whole question from hour one and what are we going with an hour or two?
Speaker 4: I'm so glad that you asked Dan hour one we had up there, what would you like to see tonight Notre Dame win, a Penn State win, then both lose, or a good game. Right now, thirty six percent of the vote. You want to guess neither. Here come the irishman. Everybody wants Notre Dame to win. Let's go oh they do, yeah, yeah, it's in order. It's a Notre Dame win, a good game, then both lose, and the last is Penn State winning.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're dislikable. I think Marcus Freeman, you like his story. I think Brian Kelly was dislikable but while winning, Yeah you won a lot, he did, but I could see where you could go. I don't like that guy's demeanor. I don't like how he Marcus Freeman. And I'll talk to Kyle Hamilton about this because Marcus was the defensive coordinator when Kyle was there. I think at least for one year at Notre Dame, so I think he's relatable. And I don't know, like, do you hate Notre Dame anymore? Like even Duke? Do you hate Duke? I think if hey, Marvin you oh no, no, no, no, no, I'm with you. You get in.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, sure, if you're of a certain age, you might hate dude. The Latners and all those guys. Yeah, I remember Zion Williamson made Duke likable to a lot of this whole new generation of kids that are going to Duke. It doesn't feel like smug in the whole coach k and slapping the floors and all that type of stuff. Yeah, they just feel like, hey, really great players go to Duke for.
Speaker 2: A year, but you have to be really good to be disliked because otherwise you don't care. It's not like somebody has vitriol for the Arizona Cardinals because they're not good. But if somebody says something about, you know, the Chiefs and I hate the Chiefs and they got Taylor Swift and Travis Kelcey and they get all the calls, and like, okay, you can kind of create this lather to not like somebody. Yeah see.
Speaker 4: But there can be lots of teams though, that you don't like and you enjoy seeing lose. And that's a don't mean that they the I mean there are teams that haven't been good in many, many years that I love watching lose, Like oh well, top of the list is of the Dallas Cowboys. Okay, that is my most favorite pastime is watching Dallas Cowboys. Fans wet their pants every week.
Speaker 2: So even at the end of the season, you still took great jobs. Okay.
Speaker 4: I mean it's not like I search it out, but when I see it bubble up, like oh.
Speaker 2: God, it's just great. Okay. I love that. So Notre Dame Penn State coming up tonight, and then tomorrow night you'll have Texas and the Ohio State. But yeah, it's been a while for these schools, and uh, Penn State always an outlier. Yeah, they're there, and Marvin always brings this up. Yeah, I'll wait for the white out game and then that's when their title hopes go away. It's like Penn State this year, this is a this is a really good team. This is a really good in state too. They run the football, got a great tight end, got a good quarterback. Carter's a great edge rusher.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Now it's James Franklin tends to puck her up a little bit. Now, let's see what he does, you know in these big moments, Yes, Marv.
Speaker 3: And the thing is this year, to me, they're really really good. They're always good. But those big games, that big whiteout game against Ohio State College college game days, there, big new kickoffs there and then they just cracked the bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Paul, I think a lot of it's the quarterback.
Speaker 6: Remember a couple years ago, that guy Sean Clifford was a nice quarterback, and then you know, you go back to Trace McSorley was a nice quarterback. Now I feel like they have a threatening quarterback. Yeah, for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 2: Andy and Rhode Island Hi, Andy, welcome back.
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning Dan Dannis. I hope y'all are doing great. I'm out here braving it's cold, delivering the Purple Promise every day. Candy's packages out. But I woke up on my.
Speaker 2: Mind a morning think of that.
Speaker 8: You know, I want to do some pile of the face, bet man. I wanted to actually take on and Marvin tcs. They will be facing Seating Seaton Hall this weekend on Saturday and also on March ninth. The Yukon is actually visiting the friars out this way, and I wanted to do to pile of the face.
Speaker 9: Bet that's possible for you.
Speaker 2: Guys, Marvin, are you up for a pile to the face when Yukon faces Providence? I'm in okay, straight up, no point spreads absolutely, Seatan.
Speaker 3: Are you.
Speaker 2: Seaton Hall against Providence?
Speaker 4: Let's see Providence are what eight and eight this year?
Speaker 2: A dangerous et night?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, i'man Seaton Hall is terrible this year. They're awful.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of an easy year to call in and be like, hey, how about a pile of the phase.
Speaker 2: I know your team sucks this year, how about this.
Speaker 4: It's a combination score between the Yukon game and the Seaton Hall game, if you add the totals together.
Speaker 2: Are you up for that?
Speaker 5: Andy?
Speaker 8: I am up for that? And you know what, Dan, I'm not you feeling myself. How about we triple it out, Christy, saddle up my bills versus your Broncos.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 9: I'm going.
Speaker 2: Well, wait a minute, and Andy, your bills are favored.
Speaker 8: You know, I'll take two pile to the faith How about that if if they if they lose to the Broncos, which you know this flight, chance that they they.
Speaker 9: Could pull up the up bet, I'm willing to do two pi to.
Speaker 2: The faith Ton.
Speaker 11: So all these things have to happen, including the two college basketball games and the Bronco then that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: He's got to get all three of those, right I is that right?
Speaker 10: Andy?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not a parlay, it's a pilot. Okay, Oh okay, let's have fun.
Speaker 3: I'm in on the pilot.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to do this. That would be pilaying on It would be very nicely. Thank you. Yeah, what for.
Speaker 8: Get Lamar, forget Josh Allen, forgets Ritzy, You are the real MVP.
Speaker 9: Dad.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, well, thank you, Andy. I thought I was going to get involved with a pie of the face.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to be the next one on the pilot dating fly.
Speaker 2: I know I did watch Ukon and Villanova last night.
Speaker 3: I did too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh oh, tough loss, but sorry, keep your head up, keep your head up. You know, Rutgers has two players who were probably lottery picks. I don't know if they're going to make the tournament. So they have uh Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper, Ron Harper's son. I don't know if they're going to make the tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me and Seton talked about this before the season starts.
Speaker 2: That possible that you'll don't have two guys who will be drafted top ten. Bailey will be a top five guy probably, Yes.
Speaker 11: I think preseason people like them for like, at least the Sweet sixteen, they had them like doing some good things.
Speaker 4: Maley could be one of the best players, and he is one of the best players in the country for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Paul, did you hear what Danny Hurley have yu Kon, said the reporter, asking about the tough loss last night.
Speaker 2: He goes, well, we'll do what you usually do. We'll go home.
Speaker 6: We'll pull out our box of rings, maybe play with them for a little bit, our back to back championship rings.
Speaker 2: Then get ready for Georgetown.
Speaker 6: Okay, I love them, I love them, I love them all right, Scoreboard.
Speaker 2: It's take a break. More phone calls coming up. We'll check in with the Ravens, Kyle Hamilton, the Pro Bowls Safety, he'll join us. We have dour rankings coming up. Greg McElroy. Mike Breen was on the call last night for the Mother's shiit Up with Cleveland the Cleveland the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Oklahoma City Thunder. If I said pick one of the two teams to make the NBA Finals, which team do you think he would take?
Speaker 5: Back?
Speaker 1: After this and The Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: You know, Speaking of Marvin's Yukon Huskies, Villanova handled them. I don't know if sixty eight sixty six means you handled them, but first time since nineteen ninety five the team's played at Villanova's campus. Oh okay, normally they've been playing at the Wells Fargo Center. I think, okay, little home cooking, but that's a really small gim It looks so small. Dang.
Speaker 3: My wife was like, where are they playing? I was like, I know, like on campus is a whole different animal. I don't know why. Maybe the six Ers. I think the sixth probably had a home game.
Speaker 2: M Scott and Chapel Hill. Hey Scott, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey Dan in a while? Thanks for getting me through. Yeah, all the first of all, Duke is and always will be very dislikable. I don't care who's on the team. So spring road trip idea, you might want to keep an eye on Stephen Wilson Junior is going to be in the area end of April. It should coordinate. He's on a Friday night the next day, could be the UNC spring football game that following day and weather permitting. I'm a PGA golf professional here in the area and can set you up on a the best golf course in the triangle. So just thought you might want to keep an eye on that. Look at Wilson's tour schedule and it could be a could be a fantastic weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Scott. We have other road trips here. We're taking a road trip to the super Bowl. Seaton is actually going to take the van and go on the road with the French Kid like he's done in previous Super Bowls. Then when he gets back, then in April, we're going to take the DP show van to Lambo. We're going up for drafts at the Draft, and then we're going to come back from that, and then we're going to load up the van and then we're going through the state of Iowa. I think it's summer Iowa. I think that's what we're looking at, maybe late May, early June, something like that. So we have some road trips here coming up. We're always open for road trips, but these are ones that they're kind of set in stone. We'll be going to the super Bowl and then after that we'll be going to drafts. At the Draft, will be at Lambeau for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: And yes, Marv, are we still doing the five cities in five days in Iowa? That's what I'd like to do. So we're all in the Makeo van together.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's what we're going to do. We're going to be like a rock ban and just starting out. Let's not switch to a plane, you know at some point during the tour. No no, no, no, no, no no, We'll never graduate to our own plane. I used to think I didn't know if led Zeppelin had their own plane, and then somebody said, well, they actually had this magnetic sticker that you put on there, that it was like led Zeppelin's plane. Maybe they had their own plane, but I would I was told no, they didn't. You could just like swap out these you know, decals with the bands.
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, Tom, that would be the led Zeppeline.
Speaker 2: Okay, workable? All right?
Speaker 11: A couple of fake laught wouldn't kill anybody.
Speaker 2: How's that? Well, the King of fake laughter?
Speaker 4: Pretty generous to you over the last years.
Speaker 10: I can't argue that.
Speaker 2: God admit I've been pretty generous.
Speaker 3: Try again, led Zeppelin.
Speaker 13: H Whatever Lucas and speaking of Shay and Irving, the Gambling podcast after the show will tape that it'll be available with Danpatrick dot com.
Speaker 2: Shay coming back from Vienna, Lucas in Texas. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan?
Speaker 5: Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 9: You know I've got a college football question that I need help from you and the Dan antime. But a quick note, y'all are talking about how basketball changed when Bob tez Len dribbled alf in a hand. There's this actor Will Ferrell, you might have heard of him, did a movie called Semi Pro or they introduced the ALU and the commentary in there is that perfect example of you can't just still flying or I'm like that that's not allowed that the rules. It's a great team, But I've got a question for you man concerning college football loyalty. I'm a fuller student at Texas A and M. I love my school, I'm proud of it. But I'm looking to enroll in a school over the next year for graduate studies. That's still one of the four things of any in the playoffs. And my question is, I don't want to become that guy who roots for three or four different schools. What are the rules on looking for a team other than your original team?
Speaker 5: I need helping that, all.
Speaker 2: Right, let me go to the chairman of the rules committee, Pauly Pamps. Paulie.
Speaker 6: Well, that's interesting because let's say you went to undergraduate at Alabama, you'd clearly be a Tide fan for life. But when you what if you went to grad school at Auburn. No, that's that's too harsh. You would have to pick you. So you went to grad school at Michigan. Okay, could you simultaneously root for two teams? Well except for when they played in the bowl game. But if you go to a school and you pay for a school, they'd become part of your DNA a little bit. Yeah, you didn't go to Ohio State, but you grew up in Ohio State, so that's your number one school. You went to Dayton. Let's say Dayton played Ohio State in the National title game in college basketball. I would take Dayton means more to you, and the story probably the story.
Speaker 2: I think it's you know, your first love. I think that's tricky though, when if you go to a grad school someplace, I mean, you could still root for them, but that doesn't mean you're like Seaton is Seaton Hall fan. But if West Virginia played Seaton Hall, who you're rooting for? Not even close Seaton Hall? Oh you are.
Speaker 4: I've spent my whole life of Seaton Hall fan. I spent like eight months in West Virginia. I mean, I like West Virginia. It's awesome. I love the WVU, I love wearing the Flying WV all of that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we spoke with Kyle Hamilton yesterday after practice and he is a two time Pro Bowl safety for the Ravens and a Notre Dame grad as well, played under Marcus Freeman is his defensive coordinator. And I started out by asking Kyle Hamilton which game does he feel more confident about? The Ravens again, the Steelers, or is fighting irish playing tonight against Penn State?
Speaker 10: You know, taking one step at a time.
Speaker 14: So Notre Dame is tomorrow, So I'm worried about that Notre Dame game tomorrow. I got a few Penn State people talking a little trash, but you know, I said, it's they had a good season. They it's kind of a cool story that came this far. Get the program, sorry, but we got bigger things to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have I think three teammates who went to Penn State? Are there any side bets on this game?
Speaker 14: A ton of bragging rights, because that's all anybody does is about their college.
Speaker 10: But you know, come Friday morning, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Be really loud Marcus Freeman looks like he could still play Kyle.
Speaker 14: I think it's only about thirty five something like that.
Speaker 10: Is he but that up?
Speaker 2: But around there I think he was pretty intend was he?
Speaker 5: He was?
Speaker 2: What defensive coordinator when you were there?
Speaker 10: Yeah? He was not DC? He was.
Speaker 14: It was cool to have a DC that was closer in age to us than our head coach and can kind of relate been in it and can relay the messages very well.
Speaker 2: Does do you get to tackle Lamar Jackson or Derrick Henry?
Speaker 10: No? I mean I wish I could Lamar more so than Derek.
Speaker 2: But you don't want to tackle Derrick Henry?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 14: No, that's uh, you know when he has to do so, you know, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 10: But I'm glad he's on the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Okay, But that's where you make a business decision. If he was playing on the Titans. Have you made business decisions when you're tackling somebody.
Speaker 14: I feel like you can't really do that because if you try to do that, then you know you're just gonna get embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Well you can't admit it, but in your mind, it's like, God, this is gonna hurt.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, but most of the time you get up next play and then you forget about it.
Speaker 2: But trying to corral Lamar, I mean, how tough is that? And he's your teammate.
Speaker 14: Yeah, obviously I can't speak from experience other than fall camp, but even then, when he's going fifty percent Lamar, it's still tough to stop him. And you see it every single game day. It's just like, I know, the defense has to be frustrated being out there and you feel like you have the perfect playdout up and you do, and then you get to him and he squirms out and runs for fifty yards. It throws a sixty yard touchdown. It's just it's got to be demoralizing.
Speaker 2: Okay, if we ran a forty yard dash, who's winning on the team out of everybody? Yeah, definitely not me?
Speaker 10: As I showcase at the combine.
Speaker 2: What was your time at the combine?
Speaker 10: Four or five? Nine?
Speaker 2: All right? Yeah, yeah, you're tall, you're rangy, you make up for it.
Speaker 10: Yeah that teams didn't care. They thought it was slow.
Speaker 2: But you know, okay, did they call you slow?
Speaker 10: Yeah? It it some of them did. But you know, it worked out and I'm right where I need to be at.
Speaker 2: Your speed challenged is what you are. You're not slow, You're just speed challenge. And your forty was faster than Jerry Rice's.
Speaker 10: Oh I can, all right, that's understandable.
Speaker 5: I can.
Speaker 14: Somebody tries to make fun of me. But forty our dash winner on the team probably probably Keaton No Nate Wiggins, Nate Wiggins, Nate Wiggins and Keaton Mitch would be a good race.
Speaker 2: Where's Lamar in this? If we did a forty or one hundred yard.
Speaker 14: I don't think anybody's ever really seen Lamar run full speed. When he does, he's super fast, so I probably put it I said that Lamar runs around high four to three.
Speaker 2: He's Kyle Hamilton, the Ravens safety, two time pro bowler and a former Notre Dame fighting Irishman. The difference between playoff practice and a regular season practice is what.
Speaker 10: Honestly not much at least for us.
Speaker 14: You know, we try to take that mindset in every single week so we don't get to the playoffs and then change what we're doing. It's something that I think the Ravens have done a great job of Coach Harbor. Everybody in the facility and everybody on the staff is just you know, we're kind of built for this at this point.
Speaker 10: It's just business as usual. So going on Saturday and do we need to do?
Speaker 2: Are you preparing for both quarterbacks?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think that's kind of something that you got to prepare for because they deploy justin fields when you know, Q be driven run stuff and obviously he's still a quarterback, can still throw the ball, so you know, you'd ever know how the game is gonna go, and so you got to prepared to be prepared for everything.
Speaker 2: Best wide receiver you faced this season was who.
Speaker 14: Mmmm, that's a good question. You know, CDs pretty good. I'm forgetting somebody. I will always say it wasn't this season, but last season, Puka Naku is probably one of the more underrated people in the league.
Speaker 10: Just playing against him.
Speaker 14: He's physical, he's tough, makes great catches, runs good routes, and you know, not a lot of people give him credit for what he does. And that's one person that really stuck out to me last year.
Speaker 2: But but Kyle, I watched him play and I'm like, Okay, how did everybody miss on Pokinakua being a great wide receiver, even a good wide receiver in the NFL.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I think he had somewhat of a subpar combine or something coming out, maybe measurables, but I think people get stuck in the numbers a little too much and forget that. You know, you gotta play football at the d of the day. And he's definitely a good football player.
Speaker 2: Jim Harball is quirky weird. Is John Harball quirky weird?
Speaker 14: Honestly, I don't think so. I think he was probably the cooler brother growing up. Even though Jim was the NFL quarterback. You know, John was still the older brother. And nah, I feel like I feel like he kind of has those older brother qualities and Jim has those younger brother qualities.
Speaker 2: Does John say goofy things though?
Speaker 14: Yeah, he does goofy, borderline corny. Yeah, he tries, and we appreciate him trying to have a little satirical side to him, but you know, sometimes he is.
Speaker 10: It's kind of a hit or miss with him.
Speaker 2: Well, congrats so far, good luck against the Steelers, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Dad, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's Kyle Hamilton, the Ravens safety, talked to him yesterday after practice. He's listed I think at six ' four, and PAULI goes, who is the tallest defensive back in NFL history?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: The first person that came to mind was Mel Blunt, who I think was six ' five playing for the.
Speaker 6: Steelers, listed in at six foot four. Kyle Hamilton also listed as six foot four.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've stood next to Mel Blunt, he's six ' five. I have not stood next to Kyle Hamilton. Yes, Marvin, what.
Speaker 3: About Brandon Browner from the Seahawks?
Speaker 2: Was he he was?
Speaker 10: He was big?
Speaker 2: He was big. How about well, Cam Chancellor was in a defensive back? Yes he was?
Speaker 1: Was he?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: He just hit like a linebacker.
Speaker 2: Oh okay?
Speaker 6: Listedt dB at six y three Chancellor, Brandon Browner listed at blop Marvin sixty four? Okay, I cannot find anyone listed at sixty five in NFL history in dB.
Speaker 2: Is that one of those Like a quarterback, you don't want to be over sixty five, you don't want to be listed as over sixty five. I did find that at one point at Notre Dame, Kyle Hamilton was listed at six five, and then his last year he was listed at sixty four. Okay for the draft, Okay, but I kind of want my free safety to be tall, but I would like for him to be quick, maybe fast. But yeah, mel Blunt. Mel Blunt was a tall guy. And back then in the seventies, you didn't your defensive backs were like five nine, five ten. Maybe if you got somebody six feet, it's like, all right, they can and you would have receivers, tall receivers, but it's like they didn't take advantage of that height advantage. You know that when you're going, Hey, that wide receiver six ' to two, and they can take advantage of Larry Wilson of the Saint Louis Cardinals, who's five to nine. All right, we'll take a break. More phone calls coming up, and let me see what do we have. Also Sunday night, it'll be the Buccaneers and the Commanders that'll be on NBC and Peacock Festivity is going under weigh around seven thirty.
Speaker 1: Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Now we're obsessed the tallest players at their position in NFL history. We're talking about Kyle Hamilton, the pre safety for the Ravens, listed at six ' four. I thought Mel Blunt was six ' five, played for the Steelers, but it appears as if the tallest defensive back is six four.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, major update, Dan, I know you've been waiting the Cowboys for four years.
Speaker 2: Headed the fence.
Speaker 6: It's back out of Florida State named Pat Watkins, officially listed at six ' five. That's the highest in NFL history. Did you want to play guest? The highest the toss players at other positions?
Speaker 13: Game?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Quarterback Dan maguire correct six' eight, six ' eight for the Seahawks. This is an old school one. You may have a shot at it. Running back. This gentleman was six foot five. He played in Super Bowl One. Not a household name, but was on the team.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was going to go Donnie Anderson, No, whyt me give you a half point because you came up with a name. Burt Cohen six ' five for the Chiefs. I don't remember Bert Cohen now BC. Donnie Anderson was also the puncher for the Packers now Steers boy, thank you to we don't know that Brandon Jacob's modern day six foot four. Oh, then Derrick Henry. We've stood next to him. If he said he was six y five, I'd believe him wide receiver. This is NFL history listed on the roster, so so, Harold Carmichael, you could stop there.
Speaker 6: You got it, Okay, six foot eight for the Eagles at old number seventeen.
Speaker 2: Fritzy, you're so jealous.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love Tyrold Carmon. Now you just throw that ball up and he's coming down with it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that.
Speaker 11: It was an eighty twenty ball, not a fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that.
Speaker 6: Tight end, Dan, you will get this because it's your era. He was not that great of a player, but sometimes he would block kicks. Morris Stroud or Stroud is correct, six foot ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't a great tight end, but they would have him back on long field goals and then they he would try to jump up and you know, block.
Speaker 6: Them, and he did it, and the NFL instruted the Stroud rule. You cannot go back and do that anymore. He did have seven touchdowns in his career and played in say offensive lineman modern era.
Speaker 3: Ish Yes, Jonathan Ogden.
Speaker 2: Foot nine okay listed Yeah, big dude, Yeah, kicker. This is a tough one.
Speaker 6: One bar guy played in the eighties, nineties.
Speaker 2: Maybe seventies eighties, So not Mark Moseley. Now, I'll give you a lot of hints.
Speaker 6: He played for the Cardinals mostly Jim Bochin again half point for a named Neil o'donahue.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, six foot six, Okay, punter. Here's the hint. He played for your hometown team.
Speaker 6: Pat mcinally Pat McNally six foot six, bonus coverage for mcinally.
Speaker 2: The highest ever Wonderlick score. He went to Harvard. Yes, I think he had a perfect score on the Wonderlick. This is a toughie.
Speaker 6: If anyone gets it, they get a breakfast burrito. The tallest defensive tackle in NFL history tackle tackle listed at tackle listed at seven foot on the roster. Played one year for the Raiders in nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so John Letusak.
Speaker 6: Not a name, just a trivia question kind of guy. Richard Sly number eighty played for Draft about the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Played one year for the Raiders.
Speaker 6: Seven foot Richard Sly played in the Super Bowl. Okay, defensive end ed two tall Jones with a name like that, you got to make it. Six foot nine Ed Jones, okay, linebacker, you'll get this, Ted Hendrick. Ed Hendricks is correct, six foot seven, number eighty three for the Raiders, a mad stork.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 5: We have.
Speaker 2: Cornerback is Pat Watkins. Okay, there it is the tall game. Fritchie just gave me an update led Zeppelin's private playing the starship had a fireplace in it, fully stocked bar with an organ built into it, shag carpeting, master bedroom for privacy, and they purchased it from United Airlines for nearly a quarter of a million dollars and upgrades. That's fun, Thank you, Tom. Yeah, so they had their own play Can we do Dowur rankings? Do we have time?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, okay, something in sports team person situation.
Speaker 2: That's just dour right now, all right, Todd Dower rankings.
Speaker 11: Even though they're in the playoffs and they're playing a division rival and they could very easily go into the division playoff, I'm kind of Dowur on Russ and the Steelers, specifically their offense. They lost their last four games, not a good way to go into the playoffs, and it's going.
Speaker 2: To be Oh that's not a good way to go.
Speaker 11: Not a good way, and I can't see them surviving a trip to Baltimore on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Oh they are nine and a half point underdogs, and very rightfully so. Seaton Dower rankings Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, supremely dowered on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't just do.
Speaker 4: You're in the middle of a game, an important game, and you just decide to quit and then on your way out, you're like full on Antonio Browning the organization, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, and he wanted to get paid, got paid, go to Miami, get paid.
Speaker 4: I'm all for every player getting as many cents out of an owner as they possibly can. Great do it, however, I mean finish the game like they got video Jayleen Wattle being like, yo, cheetah, you done, dude, Like shocked, you know.
Speaker 2: Cos Marvin Dower rankings.
Speaker 3: The New England Patriots after firing jit Rod Mayo after just one season and then posting on your ex or Twitter, whatever you want to call it. Oh, we interviewed these guys to check a box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pitiful Byron left Wich, Pep Hamilton. Hey, look we interviewed some black candidates. You're not slick Paul Downward rankings. I'm gonna go with the Saints.
Speaker 6: Nobody's talked about them, there's no buzz, and it feels like we're in year four or five of no buzz around that team. And I don't think their cars awful, but it's just he's never gotten anyone over the top.
Speaker 2: That's a franchise that really needs arch manning. They could really use Arch. Maybe he's Archie maybe my Dower rankings, Jimmy Butler, Jimmy, Jimmy seems to be crazy to give you a big contract again. You know you're with a great franchise, and now where do you want to go? What do you want to do? You keep bouncing around, and we're always led to believe it's the other people, the other teammates. Maybe two but does he get traded? Got suspended and then they're like, you can't suspend him for seven games, which did seem like a lot. But that's where pat Riley's like, oh, okay, you want to see who's in charge? Sit down seven games? And I think it was going to cost him two and a half million dollars sitting down. But I guess he wants a new contract and now I guess there's talk maybe Bradley Beal Jimmy Butler are involved in a trade. Probably have to have a third team with that. Sounds like a mess. Sounds like a mess. All right, don't have time to take phone calls up against a commercial break, but we'll get to phone calls coming up. Mike Breen was on the call for the Cavaliers and the Thunder. Now the Thunder didn't have Chet Holmgren and chat with the big men with Alan and Mobley with the Cavaliers might have neutralized a little bit of that. And they both played well. Mobley's a good player. He really like what was he number four pick in the drugs? Yeah, and Garland has come back to I mean that's a really good backcourt combo with him. I mean that's an undersized backcourt with him and Mitchell So and then Greg McElroy be on the call for Notre Dame and Penn State coming up. So we got a busy final hour. Hope you'll stay with us, Seaton, Paul Fritzie McLevin, everybody else who's ever been on the program. And Marvin mc wow wow ouch