Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Master's in Business with Barry Ridholds on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This week on the podcast, another extra special guest. Tony Kim is Managing director at Blackrock, where he heads the Fundamental Equity Technology Group, helping to oversee all of the active technology investments Blackrock makes. In addition to being a portfolio manager and running a number of mutual funds and ETFs. He is just a world class technology investor who understands the sector like few other people do. Not only has he put up a very impressive track record, his entire approach to the ecosystem of technology, covering everything from robotics to AI, to software to semiconduct is really quite fascinating. If you're at all interested in technology in AI in the process of thinking about tech investing, then you're going to find this conversation to be absolutely fascinating. With no further ado my discussion with black Rocks, Tony.
Speaker 1: Kim, thank you Berry, pleasure to be.
Speaker 2: Here, pleasure to have you. So let's start out with your background bachelor's in Industrial engineering from University of Illinois and then an NBA from Columbia. Were there career plans.
Speaker 1: Career plans. Yeah, first of all, thanks for having me your show titled Masters in Business. I have no Master in Business.
Speaker 2: Well you have an MBA, so you automatically qualify. Yes, for sure, that's a master's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, that's true. Yeah, the origins of the career. You know, I grew up in the Midwest, the first phase of my life and growing up in the eighties in Illinois, you know, as a I'm from Korea actually, but so the natural I was a stem kid, and that that kind of propelled me into the engineering side. But I always had other interests outside of that. But the reason I went to Champagne we were all from state of Illinois, and my siblings and I all went to school in the state of Illinois, and and I gravitated initially to engineering and that's kind of that that that got into that, and then eventually I ended up in New York and then transitioned into financial.
Speaker 2: Well we're going to talk about that transition in a minute, but before we get there, you really begin your career as an engineer at Rockwell Automation. Yeah, what did you do there?
Speaker 1: This is a first job, right, first job? First real job out of school. It really it was the first entree into a company, not only a company a this was an automation company. It's often known for works with many industries, but helping automate. We're help. I was working on projects to automate manufacturing. Uh. They had these things called plc's, which are basically industrial computers with sensors, with drives, drive systems, motor control, robotics and all of these things, and then you package them together and you work with many different kinds of manufacturing companies in the early days of automating manufacturing processes across many industries. So that was my first entree in seeing the diversity of of the manufacturing base in this country. I was particularly I was in I was working on the East Coast, and you know, any everything from like pharmaceutical to automotive to to what a what a distribution network looked like, what tier one, tier two kind of systems integrators were with the technology of audio mating manufacturing. And so we're working on different projects and see the across a lot of industries. But I realized I didn't want to, you know, I had other I had other ambitions, and so this is what led me to going to graduate school.
Speaker 2: So let's let's talk about some of those other ambitions. You end up doing investment banking in New York in the mid nineties. What was the transition from being an engineer slash operator to an investor? What was that like?
Speaker 1: Well, when I was at when I went to Columbia, you know, I did the engineer. I worked at an engineering company, and I thought I wanted something a higher level, more strategic in nature. I actually thought I wanted to I wanted to try to get into consulting. That's a classical, classical role for MBA. None of the consultants would wanted to hire me. But the somehow the investment banking side found me or I found them, and it was an engineering here's a guy from engineering with engineering background. And you know at the time, those are the early days of pre dot com and it was a new emerging industry, and so I think they saw that linkage between some technical expertise with finance maybe working that with that industry. So that was But the the finance is what would pull me in on the investment banking more so than the consulting because of that angle.
Speaker 2: I think, and your timing was perfect in the every nineties, great time to be doing I banking and technology. Tell us about some of the transactions you saw late nineties early two thousands. What sort of deals were you working on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just that transition, you know. I was originally hired by sgu Orber, which was a British investment bank. It got acquired and then after.
Speaker 2: The that became Warburg Pinkus that.
Speaker 1: Became SBC Warburg and then UBS bot in the UBS Warburg and then the Warburg name went away. But I was there right at the time when Warburg was acquired, and then that transition, I joined Merrill Lynch and then Merrill Lynch that go West young Man, right, Okay, So.
Speaker 2: I remember Merrill Lynch during the nineteen nineties was absolutely a powerhouse, or at least became a powerhouse towards the back half of that decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So it was very much a new thing for them in the West coast, and so I went and I still recalled to this day. There were several of us that were the origins of the m and a group on the West Coast from Merrill Lynch. In fact, three of those people twenty some years later we're back at joined at Blackrock, and I can tell you the story of that.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's hear that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, there were there were There are three of us that were vps and directors at the M and a.
Speaker 2: Group was feel free to drop names.
Speaker 1: A guy named Draga Raschkeovic who is now vice chairman of JP Morgan runs the tech M and a this guy Michael Leitner, and then myself and then we worked for this guy named Rob Stewart, and then Mark Schaeffer above him led the group, but Mike Michael at Tenebau. Blackrock later acquired them and he was one of the partners at Tennemo and then recently Blackrock bought g I P. And then Rob is one of the partners at g I P. So three of the four of us, Rob, myself, Michael all ended up at Blackrock and some fans.
Speaker 2: Let's get the band back together.
Speaker 1: Drago did not Dragon still is that Jimmy Morgan right now? So? So, but those were the original days, and then you know the transactions. You know, this was pre dot com and you know the Internet was just getting going.
Speaker 2: Are you talking early nineties.
Speaker 1: Uh, mid midnighties, mid late mid to late nineties.
Speaker 2: Like I remember being on a training desk in ninety six when the Netscape and I was not allowed to trade it. When the Netscape IPO happened, that was really what kicked off a giant explosion. Were you there around that time?
Speaker 1: Yes, in that time, and these were the deals when when Cisco was going crazy and there were you know, there's so many transactions and networking, there was the optical communications boom, some of the original software and Internet assets, and so I did transactions in this especially a lot in the networking telecom. I remember working on one or two software deals and I did that for a while, and then then I really I decided to leave investment baking, which I learned a tremendous amount, especially the you know, putting, you know, the strategic nature of looking at industries and companies, and of course all the financial acumen, the rigor of of doing very intensive financial analysis. But you're always working into the behest of a client right working on it was transactional related and and this is when I decided to go and take a take a career path change to the investment site.
Speaker 2: So tell us what that transition was like, what is it like going from transactional M and A on the West coast to no, I just want to find companies public and private and invest capital in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's that was the transition. The the financial financial analysis is the same effectively, maybe it's even more intensive on the on the on the M and A side, because you're doing much more detailed work. The way you look at industries and companies are relatively similar. It's that on the transactional side, you work on projects for a short duration of time and then you move on and move on and move on, and hopefully over time you persist, you have persistence, and you learn more about about that industry and the domain. When you go to the investment side. I started as an analyst, I wasn't you know, And here you are looking at wider array of companies. You're doing financial analysis, but not as detailed as you were working on one deal, one transaction for months at a time and then but you yet you have persistence because you're able to look at sectors and industries and companies for a longer period of time consistently, and so you build deeper domain knowledge. And and so that was one. The second is that you're no longer working for a client. You you you are working to find the best you know, investments and put your own capital at risk. Right, And so that was a change of the mindset of how to assess because you're you're not working really you're not just servicing a client here, You're putting your own capital at risk. And and you know, that was the That was the first big change of just assessing how that works, and then and then going from and then and then learning many many, many domains. And then that was the working with many different kinds of investors, different kinds of investment philosophies. I must have worked for thirty forty partpillar managers across four four or five investment firms, and that's that was, Like, I guess my second era here was to learn the skills of investing.
Speaker 2: Huh, we're going to spend more time on what you've learned in a little bit. Yeah, you said something I have to explore a little bit. Sure, it was more in depth, more intensive on the M and A side than the investing side. I'm curious as to why the two ideas that immediately pop into mind. You're covering a whole lot more companies on the investment side, but one can help but imagine on the M and A side. Hey, it's all in. You're taking the whole thing as an investor. If you buy something and you have second thoughts, well you sell a few million shares and you're done. You could walk away with maybe a little worse for the wear and tear. But when you buy an entire company, Hey, that's really hard to unwine, that, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, you know, and you're buying the whole thing, or you're representing, or you're selling the whole thing, or you're selling pieces of it, and you're working on one company and another company, bee two companies at a time, and you want to get every number right, every comma, every nuts and bolts to the as many as much detail as you can. So the precision and the accuracy and the information fidelity is much higher because that's what you're just working on that one company, that one transaction, versus like you said, you're looking at hundreds of companies and you can make a decision with the push of a button and sell or buy, And so the time spent on that analysis will invariably be less than the time spent on this one definitive transaction.
Speaker 2: Huh really really interesting. So you've been in black Rock since twenty thirteen. Obviously passive has been a huge success for Blackrock. You're on the active side. Is there any crossover do you get pulled into any discussions from you know, any of the big black rock ETF sector funds passive indexes?
Speaker 1: So the passive industry, passive part of Blackrock is separate to the active part. I guess what would be one trend is that we are also launching many active ETFs, which is the container in which most of passive funds are traded at. And then there's like passive decisions, you know, you know, a lot of the passive index thing is now an active decision. I guess you could say, if that's a day it always has been, it always has been, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: It's it's hey, we're gonna make it market cap index. That's an active decision. We're gonna we're gonna cap Apple and Vidia Microsoft at right, there's lots of active decisions. People don't realize there's quite a bit of active in their passes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now we're joining that that party as well. We have now active ets. We launched two recently, one on the AI site. So where we fail that dynamism, especially an industry that is in a rapid change like an AI, I think you need a lot of adaptation flexibility because things are changing so rapidly.
Speaker 2: So I want to stay with that. We're going to talk about the multiple ETFs you actively manage, but generally speaking, after passive captured more than half of the mutual funds and ETF assets, there has since been an explosion of active ETFs as well as mutual funds. Some are thematic, some are sector based, but they all have in common that it's not relying on a passive index. What are your thoughts on the future of active management in the ETF space.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the future of active management, you know, as you correctly pointed out, I think there are generic sections of the market where it is the broad market exposure SMP. Those I think continue to be under pressure as it moves to to those passive indices. But you said something very interesting there. You know, the industry is specialized, you know, sectors, thematics in the container of an active ETF. I think that is more representative maybe where the future of active industry is going where one can express a differentiated view, and invariably that is a function of specialization, I think, and of course I'm biased in that because I am focused on a specialized area, which is the technology area, and then within the technology are there are many further subspecializations, and I think those that have broader depth of domain knowledge hopefully that is the advantage, and that that gets expressed in an active fund, an ETF or a mutual fund or whatever. And you know, as I as, I've been in this technology industry for a long time. You know, twenty years ago, tech was twenty percent of the SMP, it's over forty and it's probably going higher as as now we're entering the AI era, and so generalists, I think are at information asymmetry disadvantage to those that have domain specificity. And if you have better information, better knowledge, hopefully that leads to better decision making, which is, you know, which will hopefully sustain the active management.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm so glad you said that you think the technology sector of the S and P five hundred is going higher. Whenever people say to me, aren't you concerned that tech is twenty nine percent of the s and P five hundred or whatever the number happens to be. My answer is always the magnificent seven are responsible for something like two and a half trillion dollars in revenue and five hundred billion dollars in profits. I'm shocked it's only twenty nine percent. Why isn't it half of the S and P five hundred. This is what's driving the economy in the market. Doesn't it deserve a rich evaluation. I'm curious as to your thoughts on.
Speaker 1: That one hundred percent? Agree? Okay, I agree. You know, the multiple in aggregate has not changed dramatically, but it has driven by free cash flow and the forty percent I quoting is a combination of comm services which they carved out, which is really a tech company with classic tech that's over forty percent. And when you look at the contribution of free cash flow right, which is the ultimate profit metrics it's followed, it is forty percent of the free cash flow right. You know the other thing about tech, I don't think people realize it has represented the highest growth. It actually has the highest margin. It is the highest free profitable margin. People think it's unprofitable. It's like the ninety percent of technive profit. This is the highest profit margin and the highest free cash flow growth. And that's what's even the market cap appreciation, that is the that is not not well understood.
Speaker 2: Fair to say, this is not the late nineties dot com no, you know, whimsical ideas with hardly any revenue and no profits. These companies are printing money and are wildly profitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in fact, I would even make another distinct, you know, the MAC seven. The most profitable sector in all the smp any is the semiconductor industry. They even have higher margins now than the software industry, and the software industry is amongst the highest. Right, so tech in general, if you say software and semis are two thirds of all of tech, right, they have the highest margins in the world.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So they have the most profitable companies with the most growth, which generates the most free cash flow, which generates the returns, which generates the forty percent of the market cap, which is and most of those are max of.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound like a bad.
Speaker 1: Placed place to keep your And now we have AI and it probably goes higher. It's going to go higher.
Speaker 2: Huh. Fascinating. So we were talking a little bit about what makes technology so interesting. Share a little bit of your perspective. How do you go about identifying technologies that are going to drive future growth and as we've seen reshape the entire economy.
Speaker 1: You know, I guess I would say first, I'm a deconstructionist. I like to deconstruct problems, deconstruct any kind of situation, deconstruct sectors and industries. So I like to break things down. And then even before breaking them down, and this kind of goes to my childhood, I always had a fascination love.
Speaker 2: Of maps, maps, maps that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Cartography, ancient maps, and so I would I'd like to map everything out, and so like the ancient mariners would say, all the oceans, you'd want a map of where you're navigating to. And so I start with that. I'd like to break things down. I break technology down into five or six major sub sectors, and then we just continually deconstruct and break those down. And so once you start breaking these things down, you then create a map of the whole landscape, the semiconductor and lancecape, internet escape, the software landscape, et cetera. And continually break things down and so then they are digestible pieces, and then within those pieces, then you interrogate all of the technologies that are going. And so now you have this this giant, giant map of all of technology, all reconfigured and mapped out, and then you go into detail. And then this way you start, it's kind of like a battlefield commander looking at a giant war map and you see hot spots. This is hot, this is cold, this is hot, this is cold. And then you have systematized a way of looking at all of those different categories and technologies and subsectors, and you know all the companies that are there, you know the competitors there, and then you're observing what's hot and what's not. And so then so that's the current, that's the initial framework, and so then you you start to see trends that are that are happening and you think you see other trends that are that are declining.
Speaker 2: So what's so intriguing about that is we tend to think of fundamental research CFP type research as very balance sheet driven. What you're describing something that's much more holistic and comprehensive. You're you're really looking at the whole echo system of technology to see what is moving and use the magic word systematize. How do you systematize that? Is it just identifying what is on a mathematical basis popping its head up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if we use AI as a great framework as a test, as a case study. So if I were to frame technology industry as we have this hardware industry, and inside the hardware industry there are many categories like smartphones and robotics and servers and things, and then there's a semiconductor industry. There's different kinds of chips, accelerator, chips, memory, chips, foundry, lodge, analog. And then let's say the software industry, there's security and applications, infrastructure, et cetera. Once you have mapped all of these things out and you know where all the companies or all the bodies are buried, and you know who's competing with whom and who's working on what. Along comes AI. AI starts with Chat GPT in GPT three point five in the end of twenty twenty two, early twenty twenty three, and it shows up as an application at Chat application. Well, the first thing you when I saw that, I said, Wow, this is going to change the world.
Speaker 2: And that was your initial response to the first demonstration, you sort of chat gbtwo.
Speaker 1: That and having a meeting with Jensen Huang in January twenty twenty three. Those two things kind of triggered it. Then once you see that, then you say, okay, how's this going to cast k through? You know, it's kind of like in biology there's a thing called I what I call it trophic cascada, an ecological ecosystem, And then you say, AI is the trigger. The first thing that you see it. It's the first representation is well, you got to build these models, and to build the models, you need these chips, and so then you go well, then you interrogate, well you need these kinds of GPUs and memory and things. Then you say, well then you need to well those are connected to the packaging systems, and those packaging systems are connected then to foundries, and then these foundaries are connected to the wayfer output, which you need the equipment, and then you start to build a chain of this is what's needed to build this part, and then those chips get stonwn in servers and servers need this whole eco supply chain, and then those servers get then deployed in clouds, right and these clouds then need Oh, by the way, these things generate a lot of electricity, and that's spawned the whole power energy movement. And then you but then you know what the power transmission and grid and technical thermal equipment that needs to power and cool these cloud data centers, and so you have built that supply chain down. And then and then after the AI is built, you bring the AI into into the into business at Bloomberg and Blackrock, and you bring those into software and then you embed that in applications and then oh, by the way, that same AI that's being we'll throw that into the self driving car and robots. And so once you see that whole chain and how that gets diffused, and then you have interrogator, you've already built these maps effectively of every single one of these little ecosystems and supply chains, and then you see how diffusion works, and then then you say, well, is it worth investing in these companies or not? And that's when then you get into the financial announce Really interesting.
Speaker 2: So I'm hearing infrastructure, which is everything from power to cloud to database to intelligence which is the modeling, and then software tools, applications, solutions. So This isn't you know. I think people tend to think of oh Ai, that's Nvidia. But what you're really saying is this is dozens of not hundreds of companies working across a whole ecosystem.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right now in the public stock market. The first two years the manifestation of what I just describe, but what you just eloquently described gets expressed in the Mac seven. You know, if I were to, let's recompile that as a as a nine layer cake. Okay. At the bottom of this of this of this cake is the power and the ender G and then that feeds these servers and chips, and then those servers and chips get live in a in a data center cloud. That whole bottom layer, those three layers is what I call infrastructure. Okay, So that's why you're seeing most of the MAX seven are here.
Speaker 2: So that's Google and Amazon and Microsoft and.
Speaker 1: Now Tesla is building AII cloud. And then above that layer, let's call it uh, that's the models and the data. So this is where you also have more maximven, Microsoft, Google, Open Ai, these some of the private companies and now x Ai. And you know there are six or six of these companies building these foundation models, and then the data you're feeding the data. And then you have all these data companies that have let's say legal data, healthcare data, insurance data, and then some of them are proprietary data, which are health being trained these models. Right.
Speaker 2: So we've seen a couple of stories about the Wall Street Journal and Reuters leasing their entire corpus of all their content to various AM models to work.
Speaker 1: On correct and you know, companies like Reddit have done a deal like that Wall Street Journal. There's some lawsuits.
Speaker 2: Even New York Times, well they haven't in some instances seem to have borrowed stuff that was you know, you your ninety nine dollars a year subscription to the Washington Post doesn't entitle you arguably to scrape all that data. But hey, they're cutting checks and cutting deals, and I think everybody just wants their piece of the pie.
Speaker 1: That's right. And then there are some companies you mentioned Thompson Reuters, which was you know, they have they run one of the one of they have one of their biggest legal data sets, you know, and they control that legal data and so then they're putting AI on top of that. So that's that that's it ellgents and the data layer, and then above that layer you have the applications, the tools and data infrastructure, and then the services the human it labor to implement and to the age.
Speaker 2: Give us some give us some names. I have a couple of things on my phone.
Speaker 1: What do you like?
Speaker 2: Oh, on the app side, Yeah, I mean I'm using Perplexity.
Speaker 1: Perplexity.
Speaker 2: It's so clean and so simple.
Speaker 1: I love chat GIPT.
Speaker 2: They're slightly differently different, right, just the output, but they're still and I'm finding far fewer hallucinations than than I used to. Yes, Like I had Bill Dudley from the New York fed in who was born in you know, the late nineteen fifties, and chat GBT mentioned he happened to be a linebacker for the Detroit Lions in nineteen fifty two. It took it away, and there was a guy named Bill Dudley who was It took it a while for it to figure out, and like, after a certain period that eventually got clean. Wait, if you're born in fifty seven, you're probably not a pro football player in fifty five. But it took it definitely took months, yes, for it to kind of somehow recognize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's on the consumer side, and there'll be a lot more consumer apps coming, you know. You know, companies like Apple have this Apple intelligence right if anything in there, absolutely locked in on your private seed. But they're gonna know you the best, and so there will be AI assistants coming.
Speaker 2: I hope it'll be better than Siri, which was a huge disappointment for sure. But I would trust an Apple agent. You would exactly to be able to say, hey, make dinner reservations for Friday at this restaurant. Here's my calendar, and invite Bob Smith and Mary and hopefully it can manage.
Speaker 1: That absolutely and even more things even more difficult. Then let's say that like, oh, I need to help them, I need to do my taxes. I want my taxes help or I need.
Speaker 2: So I'm skeptical on really complex things. And at the same time, I just read yesterday the latest comparison of AI diagnostics versus doctors. AI just moved ahead. They moved ahead on things like X rays and MRIs a while ago. Correct, but now on here's twenty data points diagnose this illness. It just moved ahead of the accuracy rate of human day you.
Speaker 1: Said exactly, the complexity of the tasks will only go higher in terms of what they will be capable to do. So and these ais are following these what we call the scaling laws of scaling intelligence. But the things that they will be capable of, it's not just booking a restaurant. It'll be doing very complex tasks. And so we are just at the very, very very beginning of that.
Speaker 2: Huh, that's really fascinating. So given the mapping you do of the whole ecosystem and then the dive into the financial background, what strategies the end do you then use in saying, Okay, I understand the whole ecosystem, I understand the various balance sheets of these companies. How do you then pick which stock you want to own?
Speaker 1: Ah? So I have a certain small you know, rules, I guess if you could call it that, that I've I've or observations that I've made over many years, especially in tech, right because this is a very dynamic industry. One of those is like, there's a power law. What I believe in power laws, And it seems like every industry I've ever looked at, there's number one and number two and that maybe in number three, so.
Speaker 2: Very fat head, and then a long yeah, minor.
Speaker 1: Let's just say fifty market chair number one, twenty five, number two, and then cats and dogs, right, winner takes all go everywhere, and it doesn't matter if you're selling frozen pizza to search advertising. Okay, these power laws and then because but the thing is that you could have power laws that apply to hundreds of categories, right, doesn't have to be all encompassing in one. And so when I look at tech and that those all those different categories, I firmly believe in these power law concepts that you want to be betting on number one or number two, especially number one, not even number two. You want number one ideally, and so are you. And so in many cases they're already existing players, okay. And so if they are already existing players and then their their hegemony is not being challenged, that's kind of an easy answer. You keep riding the wave. And that's why people are always complaining about Max seven.
Speaker 2: You anticipated where I was going to go next. Yeah, what you're essentially saying is Max seven is they're focusing on the number seven and while ignoring the magnificent side. You want to be in the number one stock everywhere, which is going to naturally force the crowd investors to the top five, ten, fifteen companies.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what's been happening. The strong get stronger unless unless there are signs of weakness, right there.
Speaker 2: Is it competition, is it missteps by management? Is it some new disruptive technology that thrusts the winners aside? What do you look for to say, hey, XYZ has been killing it for five ten years, but their run is over.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. Usually, usually these companies do not get disruptive, but on occasion they do. I think the most obvious one recently was the ascendency of Nvidia versus Intel for thirty years Intel read and legion and and then there was a transition. There are several several reasons, but there was a transition too to accelerate computing from CPUs and and then they've lost leadership on foundry to T S m C and then mobile and they didn't they didn't engage in mobile. And so there are times there are times where companies, you know, different different transitions, like if Microsoft did not pivot to the cloud from Windows right, and the government you know, went after them on Windows, but they were they were litigating yesterday's war, right, Microsoft found Azure and then and then history was rewritten.
Speaker 2: And what do you think of the job Saudia and the Dalla has been that, you know, people.
Speaker 1: Forget that's got to be one of the great great great ceo uh and and and what he has mastered in the history of business.
Speaker 2: Microsoft was dead money for a decade. That sounds ridiculous to say. I know, people don't remember there not that Bohmer was a terrible CEO, but he was a founder and maybe just wasn't nimble enough to see the next generation. He was, you know, like many founders, they're stuck in you know Microsoft one point oh, yes, and Nadella is I don't know, maybe he's three point oh or four point oh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, definitely he's gotta it's gotta be one of the greatest unbelieved business turnarounds in history. That doesn't get that much enough recognition.
Speaker 2: I I totally totally agree.
Speaker 1: So they had this power law concept. Going back to your idea, The other one is you need a second act. You know, you need multiple acts. If you even look at these great companies, right, you know, Microsoft, for example, you had the Windows and then you had a second act which is Azure right, and Azure it's been driving the company, right. Even Apple found the iPhone after Mac right. And so you need companies that have the Amazon. I don't even know how many acts they've had so many different acts, right, And so the great established companies can continually add multiple new businesses. Not only what you're currently doing. You got to anticipate the next So these power laws, do you have, you know, multiple acts, because then that helps you have duration that you can endure and then are you differentiated enough? But then there is a whole new class of companies, right, So there you have the max seven, these power law companies. But there's always history for tech has always given you the opportunity for the new companies, the new companies to come. And so it's really the combination of let's continue to ride the power laws of the established companies and then let's find those new companies that can rise and become the new challenger. So it's that those two those are the two components of a technology absolutely fault.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the funds, I really want to just touch base on two really interesting things you said earlier one is just generally on the valuation question with technology and similarly the market concentration of the Magnificent seven. Share your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think valuation right, if I were to broadly say, is at a fair level. Now there's this dispersion in that you mentioned the Mac seven and the crowding and these giant winners. They have valuations that are higher than the rest of tech. The rest of tech has not, for the most part, recovered from the depression that we had, the recession we had in twenty twenty two. They went, they were way exaggerated in twenty one. You crashed in twenty two, and there's been not that much of a recovery. So a large part of tech is still at depressed levels. I would say we're back to pre you know, twenty eighteen seventeen levels, except the Max seven and a few companies like that that have that are at higher levels, but their performance have been better.
Speaker 2: Right, And you know, it's funny, we still have over a month ago this year, this could be the first year the S and P five hundred beats the Nazaq one hundred in a long time. I'm trying to remember the last time we saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a large part of the of the nastach, especially non Mac seven, they've not done well. You know, you large parts of software, large parts of semiconductors. Even if you're not in the AI class, you know you've been left behind.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So I want to talk about something that you do with your team. Every year, you conduct a tour of Silicon Valley. You meet with leaders of both public and private technology companies, often twenty five thirty different companies and their senior management. Tell us a little bit about what that experience is, Like, what do you learn? Does it actually help you with your investing process?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think you're referring to our annual every summer we do a bus tour. Effectively we bring thirty Blackrock investors. Now, that said, we do, you know, two thousand meetings a year with companies on my team. Wow, I personally do almost a thousand meetings with companies. Now, this is a special event because it pulls together seven, eight, nine, ten different teams at black Rock, thirty plus execs and investors. And then we get on a bus and we go visit the top managements and CEOs both public and private companies. Every year. This has been I've been running this now eleven years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And what that does is that you know, you're on site. You know, it's a little it's a little less formal. The companies feel more comfortable because they're they're hosting you, and it's and it's really more of a strategic discussions than relitigating the quarter.
Speaker 2: Right, So it is and much longer term.
Speaker 1: Than yeah yeah, yeah yeah. And then you know, it's always a great barometer of like what what what were the topics of the tour in twenty fourteen versus twenty twenty four and you could really see an evolutionary of what was topical every year, and it's so it's a great way. It's also great for the people because many times, even you know, within a firm like Black Cruct, any of the teams don't get that much time to be with each other. So it's both for representing a unified front to the company and then also within within the interpersonal relationships that are strengthened. And then it's a really a great barometer of what are the key topics. And then if you looked at the last two years of the bus tour, there's only one topic AI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's go before the previous two years. Give us some examples of ideas that were surfaced via this bus tour.
Speaker 1: So I'll give you some specific example. I remember distinctly there was one about a m d uh huh, when a MD had just announced its new chiplet based you know, Jim Keller was still working there, and it was one of the famed chip designers, and they had redesigned the processor and the CPU and that Zen architecture was the basis in which ten years later they've gained all that market share from Intel. But that was that day, and I remember because a MD was on its.
Speaker 2: Back perennially, always a laggard, always short of capital, always like, hey, these guys are going to be here in five years.
Speaker 1: But they made that seminal bet to really change that chip architecture and that and then another one I remember distinctly when there was lots of questions around Tesla, right, can they get the Model three? There they were, they were, They had warehouse, you know, not even a warehouse, a tent to make remember that, and everyone was saying twenty four, it had a tent to make the Model three. And I think that kind of unlocked. That's like, well, we're about to We're about to turn, We're about to make it. This production is about to scale. And that was another seminal moment. So you have these these events like that that come through.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you relative to Tesla an echosystem question. So for the longest time, Tesla had the market all to itself. Recently I saw a chart that showed for the first time, Tesla's market share drop below fifty percent, not because their sales have fallen, but because there are so many other players in the EV space. I can't help but give either credit or blame to Jeff Bezos, who so totally destroyed sector after sector after sector that when Musk came along, the automobile industry said, hey, we saw what Amazon did, We better, you know, get our act together pretty quickly. Any truth to that urban legend, I.
Speaker 1: Would say, in EV just pure EV cars, Tesla's share and its ascendency the entire market is especially in the US, especially the West, not China, it's definitely slowed, if not stalled.
Speaker 2: Okay, arguably I had the CEO of Lucid in here who made a very aggressive claim that whether it was battery technology motors range software. Tesla was a leader, and Lucid as as leapfrog them. You could, you can, we could debate that would but at least but it's a credible whether it's true or not, it's a credible claim which would not have been remotely credible five years ago, even three years ago.
Speaker 1: I would say to that. And I don't want to comment on that specific company, but you know companies like that, they're selling one hundred thousand dollars car, right, Tesla selling it forty thousand dollars car the fifty thousand dollars and up market is very different. Which is which is most vs? Right? You know, if you remember you go in the past, the greatest, the best selling single was like the Toto Corolla, you know, like a couple million a year, and you look at Tesla's Model three and Y and they're also in that range. So basically, if you're in that kind of category, you get to a certain market level, a saturation level. And I think that in the West and then you know, with the more reticence to adopt EV and still in the United States, you kind of have a certain ceiling you need. And this is why there's so much discussion about Tesla either having a lower cost robotex or lower cost car to get at the market sub fifty thousand dollars where you have you know that unlocks some market three times bigger. It's like a thirty thousand dollars car or twenty five thousand dollars car. But I think Tesla's main pivot really and even Elon would will tell you it's not about the car. The car is a mere means to deliver autonomy, right. And it's a robotics company, right, It's and and and autonomy is to meet big onlock, not not selling the car itself.
Speaker 2: That'll be interesting. We've been waiting autonomy for a while. One can't help but wonder how much easier it would be if if build into the roads and other vehicles where some form of our device that allows other cars to know where here's where the exit is, here's where the lanes are, here's where other cars are, like, there could be an infrastructure build out that makes that.
Speaker 1: Have you brought it? When's the last time you were in La or this year? This year? Okay, did you see Waymo's running around?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: I did not, So weymo is now operating in Los Angeles, and they're everywhere in San Francisco, Phoenix, and the futures here.
Speaker 2: It's just it.
Speaker 1: Is, it is, it's within grasps. Finally, it's it's always been three years in the future, but it really is now.
Speaker 2: I think so. So now let's let's bring this conversation full circle back to the funds you run. Let's talk about b I b AI, which is the I shares AI Innovation and Technology Active ETF. Tell us a little bit about that. That that's a fairly concentrated portfolio, isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's right, this is we just launched this. This is our first fora first we have two ETFs. Now we're jumping on that that ETF bandwagon will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that might work out a black Yeah, that's right here, I hear.
Speaker 1: But this this one is you know, I think, you know, hopefully we look back, uh, this is the second year of AI as we would as I would say, and I think this is going to be a decade long, if not longer, trend, and we are trying to express in a concentrated way thirty plus companies in an ETF that represents this whole stack of AI.
Speaker 2: From Nvidia down to the small the.
Speaker 1: Way up to the apps, from the compute to the apps and everything in between. And I do know one thing. So we want a concentrated exposure to the builders of AI, companies building the key elements of AI. And I do know one thing it will be. It's going to change dramatically. What we think is the companies that today might not be and so we need I feel like, especially when there's high rate of change in the early days of an industry like this, we need dynamic adaptation. We need to be flexibly an adaptive and so to lock yourself into a fixed passive structure versus a dynamically changing structure. That's really the goal of this ETF.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about I Shares Technology Opportunities Active ETF or t e K broader portfolio fifty to seventy global tech companies. Tell us what that focus is.
Speaker 1: That is basically the ETF version of our mutual fund. And so that includes tech companies, not only ETF, not only AI companies, but broad tech globally larger companies. But you know, there's lots of tech companies that don't really that don't really have that much to do with AI building AI, and so you're going to get the whole totality of tech that in that.
Speaker 2: So you said something before that has stayed with me about looking at the entire map of the ecosystem and watching what becomes hot and what fades. Technological change today is just so rapid. It changes at light speed. How do you keep up? How do you stay aligned with the industry dynamics as they evolve in real time? It seems like it's not even quarter to quarter anymore, it's minute to minute.
Speaker 1: Maybe not minute to minute, but you're you're absolutely right in AI. So there are different time scales according to the different industry. So let's say in AI, you're right, it might literally be minute to minute day to day. Okay. On the smartphone, you know, things are more staid, they're slower paced, and so you have a spectrum of rates of change. That's number one. So number two, how do we keep keep up? I mean, you know, I've I read a lot, and not only read. You have to stay attuned to all this new multimedia. There's so many experts and podcasts like yours, and and scientists and and then we do like I do personally a thousand company meetings a year. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: So that's for a day. You're working fifty weeks a year.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean yes, I do many, many, many mini meetings a week. Huh so, and so then you assimilate all this information and then you are all I'm always doing the calculus. Who's winning, who's losing, who's winning, who's losing, what's changing, what's not.
Speaker 2: So how do you balance having a long term perspective for a technology like AI with you run a fund, you run a couple of funds. Yeah, you get judged every quarter. There's a very short term and Wall Street is notorious for being too short term focused. How do you manage the tradeoff between hey, this is going to be a dominant technology over the next five years to uh oh it's September thirtieth and we know what happens starting in October. How do you manage that trade off?
Speaker 1: That is the central question because we are being challenged all the time. You know, I feel you get some latitude if you have already a historical track record. So for example, twenty twenty two was just brutal hell on Earth for tech.
Speaker 2: It was you know, not only was it hell on Earth. For tech, it was the first year in over forty years where both stocks and bonds were down double digits, like once every half century. And then the only saving grace was twenty twenty one was so spectacular that it felt like, all right, we're giving back some profits. But it's not, you know, it didn't feel like it was seven eight o nine, which was.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty two was worse than was worse than two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: For technology tech, Oh yeah, for sure. Really that's a big statement.
Speaker 1: Because in two thousand and nine it was a universal collepse, that's correct. It centered mostly you know, real estate. Tech went down, of course, but it didn't go down more. In twenty twenty two, it was predominantly a tech collapse.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't like the dot com implosion where the nasty one hundred fell eighty plus percent.
Speaker 1: That's right, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't, but it was still no fun. You were down, Yeah, it was down thirty plus percent, lost a third of its value. That's a big hit.
Speaker 1: But in my in my in my career, twenty twenty two was the worst year. And so do you have the latitude and the confidence and support by by investors and management to allow you to continue, you know, and and you know, and then obvious the last couple of years has been good, right and so but do you does everybody get that avail that opportunity to and that goes to the short term long term, but I try not to focus on the short term. And you know, we're trying to make systematic bets to the best of our ability with you know, especially an active manager. You know it is you need to show because we're we hold generally fewer companies, and you need you need a couple of years to show that those longer duration bets start to manifest. And so if I was always chasing the quarter, you would you know, you're you're now you're trying to be You're not a momentum trade, you would yeah or yeah, exactly we And that's really kind of that at the end, we're saying our decisions that are born out of all of this domain and expertise and all of this analytical rigor, and then we express that for a multi year basis, and then that ultimately comes through. And if we were to continually shift by the wind every quarter, you kind of lose your soul effectively of what you stand for, and so we try not to do that. Obviously, twenty twenty two we had to make a lot of adjustments, but other than that, we kind of stick to that same framework.
Speaker 2: H really fascinating. All right, so I only have you for another few minutes. Let's jump to our favorite questions. Okay that we ask all of our guests, starting with what's keeping you entertained these days? What are you listening to watching, streaming, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't get the chance to watch that much TV and streaming, but streaming shows, the ones I've recently seen I seen. I really like Showgun New one, the new One, the remake from the from the eighties, or three Body Problem I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I love that. I couldn't get through the book, but the show was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then but I watch a lot more. I'm a history guy, so I love Epic History on YouTube. It is absolutely fantastic Epic History Epic History TV. Yeah, it's fantastic. I watch a lot of science stuff like World Science Festival of Columbia. Professor here Brian Green. Oh sure, yeah, I also like chess. I watched like chess.
Speaker 2: You watch chess.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love watching chess so like Chess, Dog is just a great show, especially the old old matches of the of the great the great players like Bobby Fisher and Paul Morphy and things. And the podcast. I think the best podcast for me is The Ancients.
Speaker 2: The Ancients Ancient.
Speaker 1: This is an ancient civilizations in ancient history. So those are what Yeah, that's what kind of occupies me. I don't do as much business shows and buses this pods. I'll listened to yours a few times and a few others, but I'm more about you know, I'm in finance all day long. I don't really need more finance, so I go for my love of history. It's probably that I.
Speaker 2: Have the same issue. It's like I don't want to hear a guest I'm going to interview one another show I want to I don't want to repeat questions or steal questions. I want to bring a fresh approach, and when you're immersed in it all day, you just don't want to go that way. Next question, Yeah, who were your early mentors who helped to shape your career?
Speaker 1: The you know mentor would imbue a personal one on one like tutor and tutoring and things. I didn't have too many of those. I would say my earliest mentors I go to high school. That's of my formative years in Illinois. My English teacher who was also my debate coach, my history teacher, and my chemistry teacher. I look back and they really helped form who I am today. And then in the professional world, I would say, I go to and this is like black Rock. When I and I joined, it was Tom Callen who hired me. And Tom said, not so much as a mentor, but he said, here are the keys, and you express your creativity and build the business. And he gave me that latitude. And so I give credit to Tom Callen. But I didn't have too many people mentoring me of doing this. It was more most of my mentors are dead. I have people that I have influenced me, like like Napoleon and Frank Lloyd Wright and and and Beethoven and others.
Speaker 2: So you grew up in Illinois. Did you do any of the Frank Lloyd Wright tours? Oh?
Speaker 1: I did, all right.
Speaker 2: So we spent every Thanksgiving and we'll met and so I've done that whole run. And I have to assume you've been to.
Speaker 1: Falling Waters, right, I've been Falling.
Speaker 2: Water, so I I twenty oh really that's on my list. In twenty seventeen, I bought a car in Indianapolis, flew out testrovit, signed the papers, drove home, and halfway home was Falling Waters. And we were there the first day it was open, and I want to say it was early March and it was like a light coaching. Oh yeah, we did the whole tour. It's absolutely astonishing, not just because how delightful the building is, but never before and probably never since, will a house be so ideally suited to its surroundings.
Speaker 1: It's just absolutely Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's always interesting when you see, oh you could see the thought that went into every curve, every line, every detail. It's really it's really amazing.
Speaker 1: The genesis of that, my interest in architecture. Yeah, I read The fountain Head. You read the book.
Speaker 2: I slogged through it in college and basically gave up on her because of that book you gave But like that, it's really such a painful book.
Speaker 1: It is, yeah, but it spawned there's some ideas in it that are interesting. The idea, especially the architecture that really triggered, oh, architecture.
Speaker 2: But so since you mentioned the Fountain Head, let's talk about books. What are some of your favorites? What are you reading right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, there are certain books that are influential to me. I was grew up in just people on the show, they don't I grew up before the Internet.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're that far up.
Speaker 1: And and I was a nerd. I was a total nerd.
Speaker 2: Same and so the.
Speaker 1: Lord of the Rings and I knew you were going to go there. How did you do it?
Speaker 2: Because that was the I reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings every summer throughout my teen year.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And someone just told me that the character actor who played Smigele in the movie actually narrates the book on the audible version. And people have told me it's not like listening to a book on tape.
Speaker 1: It's like a.
Speaker 2: Full radio play that he had his voice. That's right, it's supposed to be fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I even go, Yeah, I loved it. Uh, And then I went even. I went really deep the Silmarillion and the twenty thousand year prehistory to the Lord of the Rings. I went that, how far afield.
Speaker 2: Did you go in sci fi? Heinland? Philip K. Dick, Pride of Strong recommends Pride of Sok just fascinating book. Give us one or two more books and then we'll.
Speaker 1: Currently I'm reading, I read a lot of history books. I'm reading three books I browse. I read a lot parallel, and I tend to not to finish it all. But I'm reading right now Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler. I reading The Fall of Carthage by Adrian Goldsworthy and SPQR. Mary Beard. And I just bought my sixty Memorable Games by Bobby Fischer. I just wanted to go read.
Speaker 2: All did you read? I forgot who the author was, but there's a great Youngis Khan biography. Oh yes, really interesting. I could see the book. Yes, But I have one other. I have a book recommendation.
Speaker 1: Okay, you tell me, you tell me, And it's.
Speaker 2: Called How to Invent Everything, A Survival Guide to the Stranded Time Traveler. And it's just a history of technology, but they use the watch McCall. The cheat is they're using the guide for time travel as Hey, if you ever get stuck in ancient history, here are the tools you can build, and here's how you should do. And it's just just a history of technology ten thousand years ago to today, absolutely fast, ten thousand years ago, right, going back to the invention of class.
Speaker 1: I have I like to collect some of those ancient artifacts.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be that sounds like fun. All right, so I only have you for two minutes. You can get to my last two yes, last questions, like that's the problem with sci fi geeks?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I didn't know you're sci fi gee.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. What sort of advice would you give to a recent college grad interested in a career in technology investing.
Speaker 1: Not so much technology, let's say investing in general. I think you've got to be a great thinker. It's not so much the finance. Finance can be taught easy. It's about thinking, and it is about a flexibility to have a to be reason and plan and think at a you know, in a kind of a holistic and a flexible manner. Because AI is going to do so many of the tasks and and and they will often know more than you about any specific donain So you need to be above that in a way, almost like an architect would.
Speaker 2: It makes makes a lot of sense and our final question, yes, what do you know about the world of technology today? You wish you knew back in the mid nineties when you were really starting out.
Speaker 1: You know, if I knew what how this would unfold in the Silicon Valley, has it, I would have just gone straight to Silicon Valley of the company. Maybe maybe instead of being on the investment side. Huh. I don't know. It is a it's a double edged question because I like the I like the dynamic exposure to many companies, but like.
Speaker 2: Plus, the path you've taken is so fascinating.
Speaker 1: I'll say another point for the young people.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Always bet on the future, not on the current past. Bet on the future.
Speaker 2: What a great way to wrap this up, Tony, thank you for being so generous with your time. We have been speaking with Tony Kim, managing director at Blackrock, where he heads the Fundamental Equity Technology group. Blackrock manages about eleven trillion dollars in assets. If you enjoy this conversation, well, be sure and check out any of the five hundred previous discussions we've had over the past ten years. You can find those at iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, Bloomberg, wherever you find your favorite podcast, and be sure and check out my new podcast, At the Money, short conversations with experts about topics affecting your money, earning it, spending it, and most of all, investing it. At the Money wherever you find your favorite podcast and in the Masters in Business feed I would be remiss if I did not thank the pract team that helps with these conversations together each week. My audio engineer is Meredith Frank, My producer is Anna Luke. Sean Russo is my researcher. Sage Bauman is the head of Podcasts at Bloomberg. I'm Barry Ridolts. You've been listening to Masters in Business on Bloomberg Radio.