Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: Back to throw to a looking whips about.
Speaker 1: The wide Dolphin touchdown turret Colt uncrelievable, just blue fire for.
Speaker 2: A second time. Don't now where he was going right away? Want to hit that though, Man, I'm gonna help you. Someone stump on the bandwagon.
Speaker 4: Wattle wattle to a shot guns, back to throw, looking thumbs up fires touchdown, It's waddle, it's six touchdown, parasom this thing.
Speaker 5: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 3: Now check your pulse if enough for.
Speaker 2: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 4: And welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network, covering your team, your six and two Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: How's it going to everybody?
Speaker 4: I am your host at Travis Wingfield And on today's show, the Dolphins get another dub at home. They also put a stop to any losing streak. There's no losing streaks on the entire year so far. Followed up each loss with a emphatic Dolphins victory thirty one seventeen over the Patriots to improve to six and two on the season. I'm gonna tell you the story of the game, the play before the play, the five big picture takeaways. We'll also hear from head coach Mike McDaniel and quarterback to a Tongue by Loa. But you know when you get a victory and you go six and two, you know what time it is?
Speaker 2: When when win? When win win, win, win Win.
Speaker 4: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 4: The Draft Time Podcasting dopins. Let's kick off the show as we do on Sunday nights, with a stat recap, and this one favors the Fins twenty fourth first downs to just thirteen first downs for the Patriots. The Dolphins were five for fourteen on third down, not great, but when you go three for three on four down, that makes that look a lot better, especially when the other side on defense you hold the Patriots just one for nine on third down and one for two on their fourth down attempts. Miami outgained New England by over one hundred and sixty yards here three ninety two eighteen. Check my math on that, three twelve to one forty one in the passing department, and then seventy eight to seventy seven. They win the rushing battle by a single yard. They ran twenty three more plays in New England, so good for that defense to play just fifty one snaps before boarding a plane going overseas to Germany. And the Dolphins do win again after not winning the turnover battle, two turn ons for Miami won for the Patriots. The Dolphins did sack mac Jones three times too, was dumped just twice on the day, and just three penalties for twenty five yards this week after last week's ten penalties. The Patriots got flagged seven times for forty five yards and Miami had the football for just five seconds fewer than thirty six minutes in the game, and this game started off with a pair of punts for either team. Before we get into the story of the game, though, let's go ahead and hear from head coach McDaniel, who talked about how cool he felt this win was to sweep the Patriots for the first time to sweep a team and his tenure here in Miami.
Speaker 5: This is a really, really cool win just for the team. You know, it's the first time since I've been here that we've been able to beat a division opponent.
Speaker 3: Twice.
Speaker 5: There's you get a great litmus test of where you're at as a football team when you have a division game, and then on top of that, you're going overseas the next week, and on top of that you have hard knocks the week after that is.
Speaker 3: Leading the league and potential distractions.
Speaker 5: So I knew we were going to find out a lot about our team today and that I could care less about what their record is. That is a tough team to go against, and that they made their plays. They made it very difficult. But one hundred percent our guys weren't looking at anything but today, which is why we we were able to be victorious, because if we would have been half hearted into anything we did, we would have lost that game for sure. So very proud, and the reason why the scores were different was because.
Speaker 3: We uh we.
Speaker 5: Diligently went back to work, didn't waste any time uh talking about all sorts of things like why we lost, or try to point fingers or you know, call out a ref or something like.
Speaker 3: None of that was occurring in our building.
Speaker 5: We went to work and worried about the details and fundamentals of our individual jobs and collectively we were satisfied, you know, or we're less satisfied with the with the outcome, so very happy.
Speaker 4: So it starts with the Patriots punt on their opening drive, where you get an immediate win from k or Co who doing what he typically does and shuts down screenplays. By the way, Cater in that role he played the day where he can kind of stiff run the last of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: He can come up and play.
Speaker 4: Press and physical and blitz the quarterback and play the run game. I like that role for him a lot. He was awesome in this game. He cuts the opening play down for a four yard loss, and then the reason I'm kind of going play by a play here, I thought you just got an example of what was to come on all three of these plays. The very next one, Jalen Phillips bend's inside and wins a two gap assignment against the running game to shut that play down for a short game. I think it was a three yard play where he set the edge and worked back over the top and made that stop. And he did that all day long along with Bradley Chubb. And then Jalen Ramsey peels off of his man on a short throw a checkdown after pressure gets into mac Jones's face and he peels off and Cubs makes a tackle short of the sticks for a three and out immediately, and then Miami has a punt of their own after a fourth and one conversion on a nice ball from two to waddle up the seam where he hit the back shoulder on a little glance route. Just throw that thing up there. Wattle agets the back shoulder seventeen yard game on fourth and one to move the chains, but then we couldn't get a couple of blocks that the Patriots beat, and you know, hats off to them. We talked about in the preview show. This defensive line has a bunch of dudes on it that can really out physical you, and they did that a couple of plays to create a third and eleven. You get Chase Claypool's first target there in the game, and it gets kind of walled off for a weird looking and completion incomplete punt the ball back and we get just nineteen yards on the net on the punt because of thirty nine yard line. You punt it into the end zone. They take over at their own twenty. But then you get another Patriots punt right there, because once again phillips a play in the running game on a de Mario Douglas jet sweep.
Speaker 2: What a good looking player he is.
Speaker 4: For the Patriots, by the way, did the exact same thing. Sets the edge makes the tackle, you get a Zach Seeler block beat for a tackle, and then third and four, Jerome Baker times up a blitz really well, and I thought Baker pluat another great game in this one today, and it forces the ball out hot and then you rally up and tackle where Bradley Chubb made the initial hit, but then Brandon Jones had great effort to get over there and finish off the stick to put him down short of the sticks. And then the Dolphin get the ball back and they throw a pick on a play that just was a little bit strange. Tua talked about it after the game, said that they ran a cool concept where they ran double hooks and Tua through the ball on the wrong read and winds up getting picked off by Kyle Dugger, who makes you're gonna you can put him down for four or five plays every time we play this team because he's a great player. So we turn it over, get the ball back to the Patriots and they go down they score a touchdown to put Miami in a seven toth in hole. Early they get a couple of stops early on that drive, but third and four they get man coverage and they beat it inside with Kendrick Bourne going up against Justin Bethel for a walk in touchdown for twenty four yards.
Speaker 2: But then Miami answers.
Speaker 4: Back as they typically do, forty two yards strike from Tua to Tyreeka Tine up at seven to seven, and Rob Jones came off the bench to play left guard at this at this point of the game for Lester Cotton, and I thought he had a really good game at left guard.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 4: We'll break down the entire offensive line on tomorrow's podcast. But you had, you know, back to old faithful Tua to Waddle for nine yards. You get some runs from Jeff Wilson behind a great block by alec Ingold, and you had Lamb and Wadle having good blocks, and it puts you in a position in play territory and that kind of goes zone where Miami has been so dang good this year, and in fact, Miami's seven completions of forty plus yards between tu and Tyreek.
Speaker 2: They have seven of them. Nobody else has.
Speaker 4: More than three in the national football at least in the time of this recording, but that could change obviously as the game's.
Speaker 2: Play out here.
Speaker 4: But forty two yard touchdown passed a very similar dime to the one we saw in Philadelphia where there was two men covering the play, and I thought what was cool about it was you had a little bit of everything in terms of the Dolphins offensive you know, firepower to impact the play. McDaniel with the design on the little motion across the field, you saw that field safety to that part of the field. He crept down and kind of put his attention on that sweep action and then the cornerback up against Tyreek over there.
Speaker 2: He took two steps forward.
Speaker 4: And the rule is, you know, it's the same as playing outfield in baseball, like on the fly ball, first STEP's got to be back. He made his first two steps up and that was all Cheetah needed to get into the end zone to throw its an absolute dime, hitches up right on time, throws it into the bucket for a long touchdown, quick three and out on defense right there. So that's getting the momentum back on Miami's side, David Long made a big play. Jalen Ramsey gets his first action really in terms of a big play, and all he does is come downhill and puts his helmet on the football and forces it out and we can't quite scoop it up on the sideline to get possession.
Speaker 2: It winds up trickling out of bounds. But what a cool play that was.
Speaker 4: And then we get a holding call on that play, so it backs the Patriots up. And then Wilkins had a great plage shut on a running game a run play. Same for Deshaun Elliott, a big playe shout on a running play for the Patriots to get that three and out and then it gets the ball back and goes right back down and scores another touchdown. And that's when he started to feel like, Okay, the Dolphins are back here. A little bit of a slow start, but now it's fourteen to seven. After you get a third and fifteen, look that looks like, oh no, the Dolphins are gonna have a hard time overcoming this again because the previous time they had third and fifteen they threw an interception. But you get Tyreek Hill for eleven yards and once again you're kind of in that no man's land fourth down, and Tua what does he do? Gets off the spot, scrambles for a first down, picks it up with his legs, moves the chains. Dolphins come right back and get the ball back into goal to go situation. And it wasn't their best effort down there, not effort, but just I guess results because first and goal swinging past to achmed and space couldn't make Kyle Duggar once again couldn't make him miss. Second goal, throws on the move but kind of threw it behind. Tyreek gets broken up. Then there's a pass interference call on a third of Tyreek that I thought was a little bit over his head, but he made a catch later on in the game that shows you that you probably should throw that flag because he can make all kinds of crazy catches. Then you get first and goal, fade pass goes incomplete, and then Tua throws the quick slant to Cedric Wilson, who gets on the board of his first career Dolphins touchdown, and a great route to win inside access to it, puts it just far enough out of the defender's reach but within Cedric's reach an absolute dot to make that catch. He holds on through the contact. Big time touchdown there from Miami take a fourteen to seven league with two fourth down conversions. There was a fourth and one where the Dolphins stood up and threw a quick now route to Tyreek. It gets a critical block on the perimeter and gets the first down, And I thought, you know, Miami's the way they kind of adjusted their game plan or what they do. You know, we'll talk about in the takeaway segment, but Miami threw a bunch of short hot throws in this game the screen game to kind of execute and convert some short yard stuff. So they found different ways when they had multiple you know, injuries that I guess impact the what you can call a game. So Miami gets a fourteen to seven lead, and it's playing out like all these Patriots games do, right, long drives, minimal possessions.
Speaker 2: You have to capitalize in the red zone.
Speaker 4: Miami has two red zone or I guess one red zone touchdown at this point. But also we'll get a stop on the next drive on the Patriots tripp into the red zone because you know, I wrote on my notes here that Wilkins and Chubb have really controlled the point in the running game, and they were doing a good job of creating these third and long situations, and you had Gelan Ramsey shutting down a full side of the field defensively, and the Patriots success was through, you know, a couple of nice runs here and there, but really I thought was through getting those backside slants to inside access against like you know, whether it was Eli Apple or Caate or coh whoever might have been out there, they were basically throwing the ball away from Jalen Ramsey and that was mostly Devonte Parker. If you haven't had a chance to see it, go look at mac Jones's spray chart. They did not throw the ball to the left side of the offensive formation like at all, because the one time they did, all Ramsey does is peel off of his man kind of bates mac Jones into this, like you know, pump flat, throw the vertical route, try to get a touchdown over the top, try to catch them sleeping where they drive on that flat route. And Ramsey's having none of that. You kind of watch that all game long, the way he played back and just eyed the quarterback and didn't take the cheese like he is such a smart, savvy, sound player. He hangs back there, picks it off, takes it back the other way, and puts the Dolphins back into plus territory after potentially, you know, it could be fourteen to fourteen if he takes the cheese and drives in that ball and they throw a touchdown pass instead, is fourteen to seven ball and plus territory territory a minute fifty to go, a couple of timeouts like prime position to go double dip there and on the other side of the third quarter break or the halftime break in the third quarter, so massive, massive play. Coach McDaniel talked about Alan Ramsey on that pick and his impact, but not just that, but the overall impact he's had on this football team with the way he's worked and been around the team for meetings and practices despite not being out there.
Speaker 2: It's been special. Let's hear from the Dolphins head coach.
Speaker 3: Well, he totally disappointed me.
Speaker 5: He called that he was going to comeback and have a pick six, not a pickfield goal. It's phenomenal, Like you want to talk about something that goes above and beyond, like you can't manufacture what he brought to our team in any other way. His play, but the commitment it took to play in that game everybody witnessed firsthand. And you want to talk about it, not wanting to let someone down as a teammate, there's a that was a special thing to be a part of. To watch his journey unwavering conviction from uh.
Speaker 3: I think it was July twenty seventh.
Speaker 5: Or twenty eighth, the moment he got hurt with that mindset telling his teammates, Hey, just hold it down. I'm gonna come back and I'm gonna beat whatever timetable by a month. That's that's immediately what his mindset was. And we never gave him a timetable. And then he ended up telling me last time we played the Patriots during the game on the field that he was coming back for this game. I shared that with a team this last week. It's it's just a really it was awesome to be a part of. And I think it speaks to the locker room. And you don't do all that if you don't, if you you're not yearning to play with these people that you just you just started to become a teammate with so big part of the reason why we won as that collective nature that he epitomized.
Speaker 4: So after the Ramsey pick, and we'll talk more about him in a moment, the Dolphins get the ball back with one point fifty.
Speaker 2: They take it into field goal range.
Speaker 4: They bog down and kick the field goal, but leave the Patriots of twenty six seconds left, and they would take a knee to get us to halftime, which is where we're going to go right now and take our first break in the podcast. Coming up on the other side, the second half of the game flow, plus the five takeaways, more audio from coach, and two of that's all Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 2: So Miami gets the.
Speaker 4: Football back leading seventeen to seven over the Patriots, and I was curious how things might go in the second half. Will the Patriots go after Ramsey at all? Will the Dolphins be able to get push with being down so many critical parts of the offensive line Because Rob Hunt exited the game with an injury, Isaiah Win, Toront Armstead, and Connor Williams all did not start the game. So Austin Jackson, your only opening days ardor remaining on that or I should say you're projected opening day starter on that offensive line, and Howard Miami can bat those backside slants. Well, we got answers to all those questions. They opened the game with Lamb, Jones, Eikenberg, Cotton, and Jackson on the offensive line, and the first play is about as bad as it can be, a failed exchange between Tua and Raheem Mostert that goes the Patriots away and they get set up shop right in the red zone to start the half. But then the Dolphins defense once again holds for a field goal to keep it seventeen to ten. After Bradley Chubb knives in for another run stop run defense had been so good in this game, cater Coohu stops another swing pass for just two yards, and then third and down and three you get a sack where Bradley Chubb was in prime position for taking away the flat, the hot the outlet that mac Jones had after good coverage all downfield, and that allows Christian Wilkins the extra beat to get in for another sack to bring down mac Jones on third and three, and they.
Speaker 2: Have to go and kick a field goal.
Speaker 4: So how do you respond Miami, because you know we turn the ball over twice here, you scored on the last one to respond to it. How will they get back from this turnover in a critical spot coming out of the halftime break. Well, they go down and put together a nine play drive for a touchdown. The previous one was a fourteen play drive for a touchdown, So Miami really piecing together these long drives to get into the end zone. They go with the twenty two yard pass to Tyreek Hill, some physical runs from Raheem Mostar after the exchange fumble there where he just kind of buries his head and picks up extra yards after contact, and then Tua throws a pass where I thought was really high level to identify Kyle Dugger on a blitz and he goes a back shoulder ball up the sideline with one on one coverage against Waddle, but he couldn't quite squeeze it.
Speaker 2: And then he steps off the spot.
Speaker 4: And throws a dart to Wadle for twenty three yards, who goes up high and elevates and makes a big catch. And then Chase Claypool I talked about it on Twitter. He catches a pass and instead of like, you know, running around all the guys. He's out there going the Chris Berman sounds, just running through tackles for fifteen yards. You get a third and goal from one inch away, and Raheem Mostert has a touchdown run right behind a key block from alec Ingold. But tyreek Hill also got some push into the end zone, and I was pretty surprised that Durham didn't score on his catch right before that looked like he was easily gonna go in, but a great play by the Patriots to cut him down and get where he Moster into the en zone for his twelfth touchdown of the season. Patriots come back out, punt the football, Phillips run stop Deshaun Elliott a tone setting hit on Devontae Parker. Hope dvp's Okay, that was a pretty pretty good football hit there. Man, that was a you hate seeing that. But Deshaun Elliott, man, he's playing really really good ball right now. And then Eli Apple gets underneath the play and breaks it up for a third long stop for the Dolphins defense. Dolphins come back out and have a kind of off character drive with some incompletions, just some penalties, not.
Speaker 2: Super sharp like we usually are used to with those guys.
Speaker 4: And then you get a ineligible man downfield call on a tremendous savon Achman effort to get like fifteen yards in this play, but they pick up the flag because Lester Cotton was actually in prime position there to make that happen. So that helped him shot up from clock there at a critical spot, I thought, and there was you know, another one of his quick screens Hill on third and short to move the chains on this drive, which was another good adjustment for Miami to just have more answers to if you're gonna play this way while we have this answer, you're gonna lay this part vulnerable, and Miami just has answers right now.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Then the Patriots get the football back.
Speaker 4: They punted again after a Bradley Chubb sack his fourth and three games. You also had a really good effort from Cater Kohu on that blitz to force Mac Jones off the spot, and then Bradley Chubb's second effort got in there for the sack, So good team work all around there. On defense, Dolphins go three and out back to back drops.
Speaker 2: By Reek and Waddell.
Speaker 4: How rare is that they run for two yards with Tua on third and ten, give it back to the Patriots, who then march fifteen plays for a touchdown. You're thinking, crap, it's twenty four to seventeen again, just like it was in Foxborough back in week number two. Are we gonna have to wait for a game clinching defensive play once again? Hopefully not?
Speaker 2: And the offense said, no.
Speaker 4: You do not, because they go Braxton barrows for five yards where Heem moster are for ten yards, Raheem for one yard to Pope a second nine And then we had about twenty yard pass that was maybe a little bit behind Wattle, but he could have caught it, couldn't.
Speaker 2: Squeeze it though.
Speaker 4: And now it's third and nine, critical spot of the game. It's, you know, four plus minutes left in the game. If you don't convert there, then the Patriot's gonna have a chance to get the ball back and go, you know, possibly dry for a win, maybe maybe for a tie, who knows what it might be. But then Tua throws just an absolute seed to Tyreek Hill where just high high level football, and the Eagles ran this trap coverage last week where you throw the ball to the slot inside and your inside corners, you know, playing man, but your outside corner jumps off his man and kind of traps him inside, and you can get some big hits, some big collisions, maybe even a ball in the air that gets picked off. And the Patriots ran something similar to that, but the Dolphins made an adjustment off of that, and Tua just drills this ball before Tyreek has even kind of made his break and is trusting the tirek will go to the right spot and be in the right position between two tightly contested Patriots defenders, puts it up high. Tyreek skies up there and makes the play just under duress, right on the money, right on time, two bracketing defenders. That is like professional football is cool to watch live because of how high level skill these guys are.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get any better than that man. That is.
Speaker 4: That is like the Patriots don't give that up, like they are designed to stop that play no matter who's in the field, because our defensive system is so strong and so structurally good. But gosh, when you're you know, it's like the old saying, like a great hitter can't hit a perfect pitch, like just perfect man and then they go right back to it. Raheem for Forrest a pass to Smythe for six in a big first down. Raheem a six yard run to put the Dolphins ahead of the chains and open up the playbook, and the Patriots go with a zero blitz and it springs for a thirty one yard pass from Tua to Waddle for a game clinching touchdown, his first one hundred yard game of the season. Let's go ahead and hear from Tua on that look they got on that play to go ahead and put it away with a game clinching drive, a game killing drive. Like a quarterback, you know, gets all this praise for game winning drives right coming from behind, But when you're up by a score and you have the and you go score, to me, that's as good as a game winning drive. Take the pressure off your defense. Tua and Waddell did it, the entire offense did it. Let's go ahead and hear from Tua on that play.
Speaker 1: That that was one of those plays where it was just a miscommunication from their defense, and that was basically the premier look, even if they did cover it with what we wanted for that play.
Speaker 4: And Waddle tweeted after the game. You know the clip of the play, you see two defenders go after Tyreek because Tua kind of pumps that way. And then you'll hear McDaniel later on next play, and this takes an extra hitch and then winds up hanging onto the ball for a little bit longer than rips to waddle for the big, big touchdown there to put the game on ice.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 4: That's the play of the game, the story of the game. Miami wins at thirty one to seventeen. Let's go ahead and do our first takeaway here and before we take our last break and come back into the other four takeaways, and number one takeaway from me in this game is the triumphant rides again man like to a six straight win as a starter over a Bill Belichick coach team, and he entered this one average just one hundred and ninety four passing yards per game in those six wins, but today three hundred and twenty four yards, three touchdowns, and that game clinching drive that feature five runs, five passes, and on those five passes he goes four for five with a game sealing touchdown and fifty one passing yards not bad to a not bad at all. And again we'll dive into the tape on Monday night. But I thought he just played a game the game in a way that really speaks to his growth, his maturity, his understanding of defense. Let's go ahead and play a sound by here from him as he talked about how the Dolphins kind of approach their practice week and they'll come back on the other side and tell you what I think about that, because I think this is a really critical piece of the puzzle here for the Dolphins and why the offense has been so good in year two Andermike McDaniel and could get even better.
Speaker 1: The challenge with the different looks, they're just presenting that for themselves.
Speaker 3: For us, we have rules and if.
Speaker 1: It's one high, two high, sometimes we can work this side, sometimes we can work that side. If all is sort of okay, I'm not too sure where to start, then you you stick with your rules.
Speaker 3: All right, it's.
Speaker 1: Probably gonna look like this, probably gonna look like this off of these looks, and then you work through your progression from there. So I wouldn't say it's always a gotcha deal every time, but it is something that we have been practicing as far as maybe this isn't you know, maybe this isn't.
Speaker 3: The look we're going to get.
Speaker 1: Let's practice looks we're probably not going to get, you know, and then we work from there.
Speaker 4: So he was asked there about the Patriots varied looks they'll throw at you, because he mentioned in the week two game like they would get back to some of the stuff they usually do, but they would dress it up in different ways and would you know, just kind of throw different looks that you hadn't seen on tape from them in the past. And to me, I asked Juice about this in the post game show, and if you guys haven't checked it out yet, go ahead and download the postgame show. All tweeted out. We had a great conversation today for two hours about this big victory in the Dolphins team, about the continuity of the same system and how you don't have to worry about Okay, we want to install this, you know, for this week or even in training camp installed this new action. We I have to go ahead and rep this thirty or forty times so we become second nature. Let's get our bread and butter down, expand the offense from there. No, now you're in the second year of your offense, you don't have to go watch you know, Niners tape. You can watch your own tape to learn on what you did and how this offense functions with its personnel.
Speaker 2: But you can then start.
Speaker 4: To do that where you're okay, we know these twenty concepts by heart.
Speaker 2: Let's just go ahead and you know, practice something else.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and you know, work backwards as it sounds like Miami has.
Speaker 2: Done on these practices.
Speaker 4: This is high level football stuff that is only going to benefit a team that shines with their timing and their operation, their anticipation of their quarterback. It is a great place to be for this Dolphins offense. I'm so excited about it that one sound by alone I told the guys in the post game, She's like, I'm getting emotional about this because we have waited so long for a coaching quarterback combination that plays the game at this level and is this smart and is able to really compete, you know, with these types of you know, big dogs, and gosh, we got them, man. And one of my big keys for this game was to take with the defense gave you into it to touch a great job of knowing where the vulnerabilities were and taking what was there. We thought this was a game where they'd have to run for one hundred and fifty yards. Right, Nope, Tua dials up his top two guys for two thirty three and two scores. But how about this Smite three for twenty eight, Ocmed four for sixteen, Claypool one for fifteen, Wilson two for fourteen, Barrios two for eight, Ingle one for five, Hill won for four. That's Julian Hill, Cedric Wilson won for one. So one two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine. Ten guys caught passes in this game. Two always says he likes to throw to the open guy. I think he's getting pretty good at doing that, doing just that. Let's go ahead and keep it rolling here with Tyreek Hill, Part two of the Triumvirate most receiving yards in NFL history to the first eight games, the long touchdown pass and I mentioned that the baseball reference where if you don't take your first step backwards, you're going to be in trouble on a fly ball over your head. Same rules should apply here to Tyreek Hill. That corner took one step up and the ball goes right over his head. He goes eight for one to twelve and a tug. In fact, he and Tua have seven connections of forty plus yards this year. Nobody else has more than three. Already said that, And if you're bored of the long touchdowns, how about a critical contested catch on third and nine with the game in the balance to extend a killer drive, put it away type of drive. How about drawing defensive pass interference, winning one on one in man coverage in the low red zone to essentially give your team, you know, four cracks at seven points from one yard away.
Speaker 2: The dude's a beast. He's the best, the very very best.
Speaker 4: Like let's go ahead and hear from McDaniel on that critical third down conversion of Tua and Tyreek.
Speaker 5: Between Tua and Tyreek, that third down in particular was.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: We were hot, He had a His timing of that route is he sped it up. He went faster than you should because they ran zero and for them to make that play, those are what big time players do.
Speaker 3: In big time games.
Speaker 5: This was big for us, a home game against a division opponent, and you know, it's awesome to be a part of those. Both those guys wanted to win the game. Kept you know, if there was any sort of time out, I think in the second half, a stoppage of play, I should say Tyreek was looking at me trying to get my eye contact, which I know exactly what that means.
Speaker 3: Tuoh was.
Speaker 5: Locked in, didn't didn't have ebbs and flows up and down. He was able to make plays after being frustrated, which has been one of the reasons he's had success or that much more success this season is he's learned in such a short period of time how to be critical of yourself but not not handcuff yourself as well well, because if you're self lashing for a series or a quarter, you're you're not gonna like the results.
Speaker 3: Of your play. So he he's I'm very, very proud of.
Speaker 5: Where he was laser focused, and you know that the last touchdown drive was phenomenal. The last touchdown, you know, the tyreequ was in jet motion and and they tried to go in and out on the fly. Long story short, it was zero and Ta hung onto the ball longer than he usually does because he saw it all.
Speaker 3: So you have to be.
Speaker 5: Of clear mind in those points of the game to make those type of plays. It was a very, very, very I mean the it was one of the better defensive game plans that I that I've really ever gone against. The Patriots that had an unbelievable plan to really, you know, kind of try to bottle us in and guys were able to make plays in key situations, which was always fun to be around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just really really cool to hear. And then who else is the best besides Jalen Waddle. We had some drops today and as a team otherwise these numbers might have been even crazier. But the Penguin goes seven for one to twenty one in a touchdown. We were getting all these numbers posted without Wattle having one hundred yard game to this point of the season. It was always coming. He gets it today over a tough New England defense. The game clincher that critical twenty two yard grab on a third and long play in the third quarter, showing off some of the speed go off Jalen. Speaking of Jalen, let's go ahead and take our last break. Come back right there and do the other four takeaways. That's next draft Time podcast your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Idoundation. Take Away one in the books The Triumvirent of Touah Tyreek and Wattle. Takeaway number two is the Jalen Ramsey impact defense is really coming together too. Is kind of a holistic approach here, But I watched him a lot in this game, and he had the field the wide side of the formation. You know that there's the boundary in the field. He was covering the wide side most of the game in this one, and they would put Devonte Parker out there and then go three by one to the boundary to the backside, and they just wouldn't throw at him. So he's basically shutting down the widest part of the entire field most of the game. And then they come at him for a was it an end around or running play? And all he does is puts a hat in the football and forces a fumble. They finally go after him, he peels off and picks it off, like, how are teams going to attack this defense? When X is back there and Javon's back there and you have you know, Deshaun Elliott and Cater Kohu and Nick Needham's in the full you know, going forward, and Brandon Jones and all these guys that are just you know, waiting to come back and are already out there. It's it's gonna be tough because in the past, even when you had, you know, two or three good guys, they would go after maybe a rookie that was somewhere on the defensive backfield. No, you're gonna be lock Stock and Barrel looking ready to go with this thing when you get all these guys back. I've said this before. I think that he's the Tyreek Hill of the defense in terms of the standard the guys can follow and the temperature changer. He comes into a room and just changes the temperature immediately. In fact, let's go ahead and hear from Tua on what he said about Jalen Ramsey's debut as a Miami Dolphin and the coolest walkout he's ever seen.
Speaker 1: It was. It was awesome to be able to have that guy out there. It was one of the coolest walkouts I've seen from any Miami Dolphin player since I've been here. When he just walked out through the smoke and you know, did his deal and the crowd went wild and then you know, to top it off, he got he got an interception, he you know, he he got a forced fumble, all of those things. So the hype is real when when it comes to someone like Jalen Ramsey and you know, the defense rallies around each other.
Speaker 3: Those guys have been.
Speaker 1: Playing really well off each other, but having someone like him back in the lineup is definitely going to help those guys.
Speaker 2: Go and then just the defense as a whole.
Speaker 4: Like I mentioned some of the guys that had big games, but you know, I was curious how they would handle those backside slanks they were getting.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: The very next one they ran, Eli Apple gets a breakup where they had Ezekiel Elliott flexed out for Ramsey out wide. So they just responded to all the challenges and answers the Patriots through at them in this game. And again, I'm not sure if I've seen a pair of edges play the run better than what Chubb and Phillips did in this game. They were nothing short of sensational by setting hard edges but also knifing inside that tackle to shut down be gap runs. Fantastic work from both those guys.
Speaker 2: I'm very eager to see their.
Speaker 4: Numbers in terms of run stuffs and all the pressures and stuff they had in this game. Kevin Durham, my good buddy, saw a tweet praising them in the middle of the third corp and sending me a text and said, Phillips tore off someone's face and use it as a Halloween mask on that last run stop. I love that reference there. Christian Wilkins, absolute monster. He gets another sack today. Deshaun Elliott a total beast cater coo who has himself a day. I know I'm missing guys here. We'll cover on the All twenty two review podcast tomorrow, but my goodness, I just think you saw today how this defense can really hum when you have parts back and especially Jalen Ramsey number three, winning in critical moments. They converted three fourth downs in the first half, two on the touchdown drive they made it fourteen to seven, a lead you would not relinquish. Third and three in the mid red zone after a giveaway, you get good coverage in a Christian Wilkins sack, you go two for three scoring touchdowns in the red zone. So seventeen points out of twenty one possible for three trips there, so you've lost four points. The defense holds the Patriots to just two touchdowns on four drives and gets a pick out of that, so they get seventeen points out of four trips possible twenty eight points, so they technically lost eleven. So you kind of won the red zone by seven points there, if that makes sense. And of course it helps to have explosive plays when you can score from outside the red zone two. But that was a key area and they got it done. Also, that third and nine pass at Tyreek, I mean, does not get more critical than that one.
Speaker 2: You don't convert there.
Speaker 4: The Patriots get the ball back with three timeouts and have to drive probably the whole field, but have like four minutes to do it. If they score, do they go for two? Offense made sure we didn't have to find out takeway number four. Overcoming injuries, I mean every team has, but my goodness, man, we lose Rob hunting this one, which he never misses time. Kendall Lamb left and returned sort of. Durham smythe you're down four of your offensive lineman and one of the backups to the backup at that point, so Kendall Lamb, so you're down five. Technically, X didn't play Holland didn't play Devon A. Chan's didn't come back at some point to Ron Arms as getting closer. We didn't see River Craycraft today or Nick Needham. We got our first real glimpse at Jeff Wilson for the first time today. It's scary to think that this team is just now starting to get healthy. Takeaway number five is that you showed you can win different types of games. It was so key to sustain drives in this game because the Patriots were not gonna let you take the top off except the one time they did. You get drives of fourteen and nine and then ten to close it up. And those fourteen and nine play drives were both after an int and a lost fumble. That's just critical. You ran for just seventy eight yards on twenty six attempts, so you better be able to throw the damn football right, and they do it three hundred and twenty four yards three passing touchdowns, but not just through the air. The reason that you want to be able to run the balls because they put those birds on a fence back there right. Throw to the flats, throw to the short intermediate area. Throw the screen ball passes that just force defenses to defend every point of grass. We hear OC's and play callers say that out all the time. McDaniel adheres to it. This offensive staff adheres to it. They take what's there. This Dolphins offense, you can play them almost any way you want, and they're gonna have answers to it on the other side. And then for the defense to hold the opposition to one for nine on third downs, five point six yards per passing the passing game to get a three big sacks as well. They ran just nineteen times for seventy seven yards, an offense that carved up Buffalo last week. By the way, you have so many routes to victory with this Dolphins team. And we finish up here with the play before the play cater Coo, who has himself a heck of a ball game, and no play that I liked more than the second and seven play right before Christian Wilkins sack on Mac Jones on third and five to force the Patriots into a field goal. After they got the ball starting off in the red zone to open the third quarter, they throw a little swing pass to de Mario Douglas and who else is there besides number four Cater Coohu, who already shut down two of these earlier in the game.
Speaker 2: First play the game, a four yard loss on the swing.
Speaker 4: Route, and so to cut the guy down here set up a third and five situation on a play where you want to run this play to get you know, five yards to create a third and two so you can possibly still run the football. But Cater makes it a passing situation with a surehanded tackle and sure enough we get home on the sack on third down and get off the field. Great job, Cater Kohu, great game, great energy today for all the fans that came out, especially those of you that came by the postgame show the four to kind of hang out with us there and have a great time with me and Seth and Juice. And you know, I tell those guys this all the time. I tend to like two US performances more. After watching the tape, I have a flan that it's gonna be the case here when I plug this tape on.
Speaker 2: That's on tomorrow's Drive time. That's it for my time today.
Speaker 4: You all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, on Spotify, wherever you get your podcast from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at Winklin NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Check out the Fish Tank with Seth and Juice.
Speaker 4: Check out the YouTube channel for Media Availabilities and Dolphins Today and much much more and last, butt not least my.
Speaker 2: Dolphins dot Com.
Speaker 4: Until next time, fins up calling and camera and Daddy's coming him
Speaker 2: M hm