Speaker 1: At least, is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. I am Dale Lolly, he is the Matt Williamson and this is the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network. And of course you can hear the Drive every Monday through Friday from four to six pm right here on these very airwaves where you can download the Steelers Mobile app and listen to the show on there. You can also watch it on Steelers YouTube channel and you can then leave us remarks or comments or tell us how dumb we are, Yes, smart we are, how handsome we are?
Speaker 3: You get that's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: That happens.
Speaker 2: But anyways, Matt, it's time now to get to the fantasy football focus. This being Wednesday, let's take a look at who is in who is out this week thus far in practices. Trent Williams with an ankle injury, sidelined on Wednesday, and they're a mess right now. Off the field, he deal with some stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that team in general just feels curts this year a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, Yeah, a little bit. Both Darnell Mooney and Drake London this week. Mooney has an achilles and slash rest did not participate in practice today. Drake London was limited in practice today for Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 3: And again, folks, just like we opened the first hour, this is Wednesday and people are getting rested even more than earlier in the season. Don't go crazy, but be aware of this stuff. I think her cousin is.
Speaker 2: Going to get bad eventually they fall out of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think he's a game war too from getting the act.
Speaker 2: We're not that long ago from when people were saying the Steelers should have signed Kirk Cousins instead of Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not certain he's even gonna be an NFL starter next year.
Speaker 2: It's been pretty bad. He does not want to get hit at all.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't protect himself. Well, I mean, he makes really bad decisions. I think he could end up being like a Flacco was a number two or something along those lines. Like if I'm the Giants Raiders, I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh. Baker Mayfield dealing with an achilles and a knee. He was a full participant in practice on Wednesday, but that you never like to hear that achilles thing.
Speaker 3: No, I was shocked when Mooney had an achilles. I mean, Achilles is usually out, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, how do you soreness?
Speaker 2: I used to have to deal with that when I was still playing basketball into my thirties, even late thirties, like three or four times a week, my achilles would just be killing me. And I kept waiting for that day when it just went and rolled up and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Does that mean there's like a tiny partial tear there?
Speaker 2: Just I don't know. It was just general soreness and then in that achilles, and you know, I'd take a week off and it would feel better, and then I'd go back and play, and you know, two weeks later, it's it's hurting again. It's just not good.
Speaker 3: People can't see this at home, but Justin, you know, an achilles is it'll snap and all the way up in the back of your leg.
Speaker 2: Justin doesn't like that.
Speaker 3: He's gonna pass out. He was saying this going up, Yeah, Achilles, give him the willies. Yeah he's over there and wincing thinking about Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bucky Irving hip and back issues mispractice on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: He's a superstar for fantasy, right, Yeah. I mean he's getting all the touches. He's even taken Rashard White's stuff. I mean that's great signs.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't play a lot.
Speaker 3: Of touches last week, yeah, he'll probably just rest.
Speaker 2: But if he doesn't play White, they're both.
Speaker 3: You know, useful at that point. I don't think they want to give White a ton of carries between the tackle stuff.
Speaker 2: Tristian Wurf's with the foot and knee on any big practice, right, I mean, so they're they're a little banged up.
Speaker 3: Like Trent Williams. I mean, it's a difference. He's one of the tackles you got to mention in the FANI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big game for them this week, or Tampa's they have. I forget who they have this week, but was somebody they should beat. They have a very easy rested Atlanta's at Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Atlanta beat them twice head to head, so they have to get one game up and just kind of looking ahead at the schedule, I think they got a pretty decent chance to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Mike Evans hamstring and calf didn't practice on Wednesday, who did practice for them.
Speaker 3: I no one practice for the Steelers either.
Speaker 2: But these are all injuries though, these are right. Yeah, Alexander Madison with an ankle limited on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Okay, is Abdullah the one? Do we know that at this point? Hmmm?
Speaker 2: Uh, Sincere they're gonna get a bomb. They signed Sincere McCormick to their active roster. He was on their practice squad and they elevated and they said, we can't do that because somebody's going to probably try to sign him off of that, So they signed him to the active roster. Zamir White with a quad also didn't practice today.
Speaker 3: He had He's had a really bad year. Yeah. I don't know if he'd even get back in the mix. So it might be McCormick. It might be McCormick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a dart throw if you go to Blank's mode THEFS Uh yeah, yeah, but maybe we should look in the raided running back stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we picked the squad.
Speaker 2: Uh Jyr Alexander. They play Thursday night. He was ruled out for that Week fourteen game against Detroit.
Speaker 3: Okay, their defense has been okay, I mean the pass rush hasn't been great. Alexander's obviously a difference maker, huge game. You know.
Speaker 2: Romeo Dobbs also rolled out for that game with a concussion.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean, I'm not wishing a concussion on anyone, but it does help clarify the receiver situation a little bit when one of them is out of the mix.
Speaker 2: On the plus side of that, for Green Bay, Josh Jacobs with the calf injury off the injury report.
Speaker 3: Okay, And folks, just so you know, I mean the Lions and Packers, this is not a short week for them. This is a full week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they played basically, Yeah, they both played Thanksgiving, so it's not social.
Speaker 3: Makers did some good stuff there.
Speaker 2: Uh. Foster Moreau with a shoulder injury limited on Wednesday. The only reason I mentioned is that Taysom Hill is out. Yeah, okay, so maybe Foster gets a couple of catches. I doubt it.
Speaker 3: Maybe. I mean, I'm sure he'll be out there in twelve personnel. Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited about it.
Speaker 2: Kendrey Miller.
Speaker 3: The other tight end there though, is Yeah there's a chance.
Speaker 2: Juwan Johnson, but he was limited today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know there's something with him too.
Speaker 2: Kendrey Miller practiced in full on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I think he's on IR or they just pulled him off for.
Speaker 2: About They just recently designated him to return, so this was a full practice and he's been designated in return, so he could I could see them wanting to get a look at him.
Speaker 3: And he had something you need to know, you know, like he might be a good guy for like your your super Bowl, Like you really need to run Kamar into the ground in week seventeen and eighteen of the season if you're the same, that's right, I mean, so, I mean you get a good look at Miller. See if you need a draft one or not.
Speaker 2: Bob means officially limited on Wednesday with an ankle. He's also been out for several weeks. He was also designated to return, so it doesn't look as positive for him, but they need another receiver and.
Speaker 3: Say their skill position stuff is a messy.
Speaker 2: Prior to getting hurt, he was actually starting.
Speaker 6: To do it well.
Speaker 2: He looked pretty good. Yeah, did some stuff. Yeah, as you mentioned earlier in the show, Trevor Lawrence with a concussion officially placed on injury reserve. That will shut him down from this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a wrap. I mean in line gets the first overall pick. Does do you a hard time starting like Thomas or Ingram or the backs or I mean their skill guys are all pretty fantasy relevant. Yeah, I mean it doesn't help.
Speaker 2: It's not great. It's not what they were with Laurence. Yeah, it's okay, it's okay. I don't think I mean the receivers, especially because they're gonna be in catch up mode constantly. Their defense is awful.
Speaker 3: Mac Jones has been okay. I mean he's put up some numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mostly in ketchup model like portals like exact forman say, very Jaguar esque Treylon Burks with an A C L will miss the remainder of the season.
Speaker 3: It's pretty close to saying he's in bust to neighborhood here. Yeah, the field too much either.
Speaker 2: Jalen Cocher with the quad injury. He practiced him full on Wednesday. Okay, somebody did not forget about no. I. Actually he has traded for him yesterday in a dynasty league.
Speaker 3: I'm rebuilding. I think he's got a bright future, but now all of a sudden, the receiver position is a little crowded. I talked about theland yesterday. I'm surely Get's gonna get plenty of time. Former Panther wide receiver just got suspended former.
Speaker 2: Stealers for a game by the Ravens for contract detrimental to the team. Apparently on the release and they talked about They said he refused to go into the game.
Speaker 3: La right, and then you mentioned this off the air. They got to buy this week and then he suspended and seasons almost.
Speaker 2: Like they're gonna stay away from the organization here for a week.
Speaker 3: I mean, you cut him.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Uh. Jatavian Sanders with that neck injury officially limited on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Okay, it looks like they're really pushing these young guys to fish out of season.
Speaker 2: He gets if he gets back into it. They were throwing him the ball.
Speaker 3: No, no, I think that offense is relevant.
Speaker 2: Amari Cooper with a wrist, logged a full practice on Wednesday. Curtis Samuel with a foot was limited.
Speaker 3: Okay, So is a Mary Cooper fantasy starter every week, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I can't look at what happened in the last week's game and say one way or the other.
Speaker 3: I know, I know it's tough, and it's a perfect example for late Mike Williams. I mean, these receivers have change teams that late. It's hard to get on board, it really is. Yeah, and Cooper had some injuries.
Speaker 2: You know, Davonte Smith with a hamstring practiced on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Okay, they could use them. He's been out a little bit. Goddard's probably I don't know what godd situation is, but doesn't sound good.
Speaker 2: The Bengals signed Kadi York to their practice squad because Evan McPherson expected to miss a few weeks with a groin injury. That's significant because Evan McPherson gets to kick a lot. And they play the Cowboys this week. But the worst not the worst pick. He's not great, but he's gonna get opportunities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, say the offense is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's not the worst pivot he's been the league too. I mean, expect not to go over three. Well run the subject of kickers. Matthew Wright signed to the Chiefs fifty three man roster. He'll be their third kicker. Well, he already kicked last week. He was four or five on his field goal attempts last week. That's good. Yeah, it's going five attempts in one game. Spencer Schrader was placed on IR with a hamstring injury. He was the guy who was replacing Okay, And so it looks like Matthew Wright's going to be the Chiefs kicker until Harrison Bucker returns from.
Speaker 3: That's another one. Like, I know their offense isn't as good as people think it is, but that's not a bad kicker to owned for fantasy.
Speaker 2: They do get I mean they do kick field goals. They don't score touchdowns all the time. Well yeah, Keyon Coleman with a wrist injury, limited and practice on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Tight end receiver situation in Buffalo is kind of a stay away for me, considering what you have to pay for them and all these things, But it'd be nice if it shook itself out a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Dalton kin Cave was limited on Wednesday. He hasn't played since Week ten, so we'll see where that goes for him. Him. Drew Locke going to get to start for the Giants this week.
Speaker 3: I guess it's better than de Vito, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean he runs a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just thinking like for like Wandell Robinson and neighbors.
Speaker 2: I mean, he actually throws the ball to neighbors. He doesn't ignore him for a half. So, yeah, is Wandelle Robinson even useful anymore? It sure seems like, well you gotta be high completion percentage guys. Yeah, Alan Lazard but the chest injury had his practice window opened on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not real excited about him for fantasy.
Speaker 2: Rogers does like him. He does got a lot of touchdowns right in the year. Brees Hall with the knee injury not practicing Wednesday. He did the same thing last week and he went and played. He did lose two fumbles or fumbled twice in that game. So the Browns have signed quarterback Bailey Zappi.
Speaker 3: Real quick on haul Like, it's a little early for this conversation. But some of these awful teams running backs that have bumps and bruises, might they not be around for fantas see super bowls or you know, sometimes you'll see these guys get shut down late in the scenes.
Speaker 2: Well that's why when you have guys like that, you that's when Allen is, That's when you handcuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to see the younger guy, Allen is a great example for.
Speaker 2: That, especially teams that have already had their bye week, Like, yeah, there's no reason not the handcuff if that's your one of your top backs or your top and the top back on your team. Josh Reynolds was waived by the Broncos and claimed by the Jaguars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not a bad player. I don't think he's relevant for Mac Jones phone to Josh Reynolds, doesn't.
Speaker 2: That doesn't ye, Yeah, that doesn't fill me.
Speaker 3: Playoff wins in the in the my Fantasy League.
Speaker 2: No, Keishawn Vaughan added to the forty nine ers practice squad.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see the small, undersize.
Speaker 2: Former Tampa Bay buck back.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was thinking Douce Vaughn. I guess is the one I was thinking of?
Speaker 2: The cowboy Okay, yeah's had some moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lot of buzz with him when he came out, but never quite put the other.
Speaker 2: They also signed Patrick Taylor Junior to their practice squad, so they added two running backs to the practice. Somebody's getting elevated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody's getting elevated. I mean they lost to so you got to add too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about this one? Finally, Marshawn Lattimore on track to return in week fifteen.
Speaker 3: Wow, make a trade for him to the trade deadline. Still doesn't play the snap for you.
Speaker 2: It's been five or six weeks now they've had him on the roster.
Speaker 3: I mean, what's different about him than some of these other trades. He's a contract. Yeah, that's a that's a big long term move. But if you get them breved up for the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, DJ reader considered day to day.
Speaker 3: Okay, I need to look into the Lion injuries more. There's a couple of them out there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't look like they're gonna have Taylor Decker this week, Okay. Looks like Carlton Davis could return for them in week fourteen. Of course that's a Thursday night game. So yeah, they're starting to get a little yeah, a little bit better news. It sounds like some of it. Yeah, that's about Reynolds. That's pretty much it for the fantasy news of the day. This Deontay Johnson stuff. You know, the people who ran out and picked him up hoping that he was gonna suddenly become fantasy or still be if you had him on your roster with from Carolina, you were happy because he was getting the football and he was happy. And then when he goes to Baltimore and he's not getting the football and he's not even getting on the field, he's not happy.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not like you an opportunity to get on the field, and he refused it. What's up with that? Like it'd be if you're I mean, you're getting paid to pay foot play football, and if you're asked to go in the field, to go in the field, I mean unless you have a knee or something. You know that you think they misdiagnosed. But how does that conversation happen on it on the sideline? I don't know, you know, not pretty. And Raven's a bigger fish to fry than worry about the new guy, you know what I mean, Like I wonder if he plays it all for them.
Speaker 2: That's why when you when you make some trades like that, especially, I mean when when you have fifty three guys in the locker room, your head coach has to be able to handle things well within the scheme of everything. No, yeah, you know, people are asking why isn't Mike Williams playing? He's playing. They're not throwing them the ball a whole lot. Yet doesn't mean that they won't or that's not going to happen. But he is playing. But that's not been in you know, there's been none of this kind of stuff. No, no, right, right, you know, I'm sure you know Preston Smith wasn't happy with his role in Green Bay and asked for a trade.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was rocking the boat there anything, you know, but Johnson seems to be rocking the boat.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean that's the thing that you know, kind of one of the dangers when you when you trade for somebody. Teams don't want to get rid of guys for no reason.
Speaker 3: Of course, a lot in a lot of cases. I mean, obviously there's some instances where probably not going to sign him, his contracts up, we're not doing anything. Dump them a date, trade deadline, let's get young. Sometimes just I want to get this guy out of here because he's a pain in the butt, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I wonder if Deonta is quickly going down that might be the way it's headed there for him. But Matt, that's going to do it for the fantasy football focus.
Speaker 3: Let's whatever his interest will be in the off season, might be his stock has gone down, dramatic, dramatic contract and all that stuff. Who's gonna be calling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure, let's get through a break. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. Matt now will be back right after this.
Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: And we are back here on the Drive. I am Dale LOLLI he is the Matt Williamson and Matt We got to see the debut of Hard Knox last night looking at the AFC North and of course the Steelers were featured prominently on that one because they played a fellow AFC North opponent. Yeah, and a lot of interesting stuff coming out of that, including you get to see how Mike Tomlin likes to is capable of pushing players buttons him standing in front of the room, commanding the room, and just kind of that the lesson that he gives each week. And he was asked earlier in the week, you know, do you worry about your message getting old or stale? He's like, look, this is a short term business for these players. Yeah, if you look at it's pretty you know, we talked about this in the preseason before the season started. Well, I think it was like twenty six new guys on the roster or something like that. I mean, that's almost half your roster turns over from the previous year.
Speaker 3: So a lot to take away there too. I thought Tomlin was the star of the show, and frankly, if this was Raven's Nation Radio, I would said the same thing. I thought him and Joe Burrow were the most impressive two people featured in this whole thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: It was one hour and that's on a knock on the other three head coaches. See how the other episodes go. But I'm sure Tom will do just fine. But it made me a couple of things. I know Tomlin has his critics, you know, and if you want to criticize his clock management, go right ahead. I mean that's valid. I get it. He's not perfect, but I think if you watch that, you have a better understanding for why he wins games, you know. I mean his message to the team was great. One on one with Cam Hayward walking into the locker room one on one with Pickens.
Speaker 2: I just thought I thought it was interesting when the coaches are all sitting around watching takes.
Speaker 3: That's where it's going next.
Speaker 2: Like his knowledge of the game is so extreme, attention to detail.
Speaker 3: Right, like we know this is going to happen. This is going to happen. Like if you talk to Wolf for a tonch of those guys, you know, Chuck Noll could have coached the defensive backs or the tight ends or the running backs. And I think Tomlin's exactly the same way, you know, or you know, I know he's praising Jamar Chase. Look at Jamar Chase come out of his break here on this in cutting route. That's an amazing angle. And you know, boy, you know Burrow is going to be you know, great respect for the opponent and how they can beat You give.
Speaker 2: Me a problem if we allow him to step up into the pocket, yah know? And behold it became a problem allowing him to step up in the pocket. And then they like, guys, we talked about this, Yeah, let's not let this guy do this to us.
Speaker 3: And I'm probably gonna watch it again, but I think when he was walking off the field with Hayward. As I referenced, he said something like, as long as we contain Chase Brown, who isn't their best player, and don't let Burrow step up in the pocket, the offensives have to can score zero points and we're gonna be okay, you know what I mean, Like, these are the things we have to take away. It's not just Chase is awesome. We can't. You know, everyone knows that, you know, so his knowledge of the game is really really came through in that episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And you know again with the stuff with Herbig and we'll get to hear from my Nick Herbig here a little bit. In the final segment of the show. I talked to him about the episode last night, just driving home the point that hey, you got you got one of the big matchups this week. Yeah, yeah, you know, you got you got Orlando Brown this week, and if you win that matchup, we're gonna win this game. This game, and then not only saying it to him every single time he saw him during the week, saying it on the sideline during the game, saying it in the team meeting. Yeah, yeah, you know, call it a second year guy, Like, hey, dude, you got to win this. We expect you to win this, and he's hoping you win this. We expect you to win.
Speaker 3: This, and he's not saying it to every player in every matchup. I mean, he knew that was a critical one that there's'll be a lot of one on one. Of course, DJ is gonna get a ton of attention. And you know, with a young Ray tackle in particular, if we can win that matchup one v one high percent of the time, we're gonna be really tough to beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lo and behold right right, And it was the key to the game. Yeah, you get the stripsack and touchdown off of that, and it's like you see Tomlin's reaction on the sideline to that, just like.
Speaker 3: It was right, that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: It we're talking about And then he pulls herbig aside and said, hey, that's what we you know that, that's who you are right now.
Speaker 3: I got a kick out of the episode, and part of it was I put I spent a year in the Browns facility two and I like the Ravens facility. It's all brick and you know, kind of old right, right. I kind of like how they do things too. But I'm Bengals not as much, but no, I think it's gonna be a good series too.
Speaker 2: When you see something like that, it does kind of point out the differences between the other three teams and the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I have never been in the Bengals facility, but I spent a ton of time in the Browns.
Speaker 2: One their facility is the stadium. Yeah, there's They're one of the few teams that are still working out at their stadium, the practice fields. When you're driving into into Cincinnati from the airport in Kentucky, you come across the bridge and their practice fields are right there on the right, next to the stadium. They now have an indoor bubble.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like how three Rivers used to be right like in their cleats.
Speaker 2: Walking they had to walk across the street and Lambert those guys, right and and but they're they're practiced or quote unquote indoor practice facility is basically just a.
Speaker 3: Bubble over that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's it's about three blocks away down the street from the stadium, so the players have to walk all the way over there. Not that I mean, but.
Speaker 3: It's these are billion dollar, multi billion dollar organization.
Speaker 2: Walking in your spikes on the you know, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean one of the Steelers used to practice way back when I was referring to is now a parking lot because it should be a parking lot because it was to the stadium, right.
Speaker 2: I can remember, like when the Steelers used to when they wanted to practice on grass when they were still headquartered at three of their stadium. They had to go past there was the warehouse, I think it was Kaufman's warehouse or whatever. Walk across that walk across the freeway to get to this fifty yard grass practice facility yard made, you know, and so it wasn't even a full field. And it's kind of the same thing that the Bengals are doing now. The Steelers graduated away from that thirty years.
Speaker 3: Ago before I was in this business, right, And say what you want about the Browns, but that facility we didn't want for anything. I mean, they spent a lot of money.
Speaker 2: They showed them. They had the facility, they had the into the room set up for uh elevation room, oh yeah, at a lower oxygen level and you can go in there and work out before that, you know, that kind of stuff like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they spend a buck in like little things like if I went into WVU with a scuff on my shoes, I heard about it, like come get a new pair of shoes, you know, like anything you wanted all the time. I mean it's a multi billion dollar organization, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bengals don't.
Speaker 3: They don't run it that way.
Speaker 2: They do more offer them, Yeah, which is in some ways is good, but other ways sure bad.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: I mean it's probably less attractive to several athletes that if you're picking between three teams, they might be last. Yeah, you know, yeah, I don't know. We talked about after the Bengals game. I could see rocky roads ahead for both Ohio organizations for different reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, just some of the ways that the coaches kind of handled the room as well. And not even just the head coaches.
Speaker 3: Though there was the episode Brownsow Line coach.
Speaker 2: Brownsow Line coach yelling and screaming at his offensive line about you know, and and just nonsensical stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't quite get that that was not painted in a great light there, Yeah, in that one. But no, I was very impressed with Tomlin. I liked when he was sitting there watching film with the you know, the coaches too, and if that's what they're showing, you think of the insights that they're not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were willing to give you that part.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also thought it was interesting to see some of the sideline stuff with Russell Wilson and the way he reacted to different things, like the interception and he's right back and like, you know, guys, we're fine, yea, And then they score the touchdown. He's going to the easter offensive lineman. He's shaking her hands. Hey, good job, guys. Way to do that. That's you know, and you know.
Speaker 3: It's better than I do. But it sounds like a lot of quotes right after that Cincinnati game where man Russ was more enthusiastic and more positive than ever, you know what I mean. And he's getting really comfortable here too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a big part of it, right, And he's comfortable in his own skin with who.
Speaker 3: He is, he is works.
Speaker 2: It just leads me back to the whole Denver situation and some of the character assassination it went on with him. Oh he's a phony, he's this, he's it's fake. I'm like don't. I don't think you can fake that.
Speaker 3: I don't think anything he's done here.
Speaker 6: To me.
Speaker 3: I mean I kind of thought first day of camp or whatever, I'm like, of course everyone all eyes are on the might as well. I'm like, is this guy really diva? Just you know, I'm happy to be here, blah blah. I'm like, that does not That's not the impression I get. I mean, I'm not best friends with him, don't get me wrong, but just the way he's who he's hanging with, how he's hanging with him, do you know all that stuff? Yeah, mannerisms, they respect them, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They do. Yeah, And I think it goes a lot of it goes back to it's kind of the similar respect that we saw in the Steelers' locker room when they signed Michael Vick. Okay, Michael Vick was clearly at the end of his career, he was done, but they he was a legend. He's a legend, and he's a legend. He's a guy, you know, he was one of the first of his kind. You know, this is the guy who was on the cover of Madden. Then there's the guy who was you know, these guys when they were growing up that that's who they played with. You wanted to be Michael Vick because you could.
Speaker 3: Just do anything right and he was a superhuman. Yeah, that's a good point. I mean a lot of those guys grew up with loving that guy. You know, had posters of him on the wall type of guy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: But you see that with like just different guys in that locker room and how they how they kind of deferred him, and they did with Ben Roethlisberger as well.
Speaker 3: I mean it was just you know, that's but Ben never had to come to a new team, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: This was this was coming in from the outside and being Okay, how do you how do you handle this? And I just think he's handled it really well.
Speaker 3: It makes me wonder and I know it's not what we're talking about, but Kirk Cousins has really struggled in Atlanta. And I'm not saying they underminded him by drafting Pennix, but you had enough. Imagine if it was Wilson and you had a first round quarterback there too.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a different dynamic.
Speaker 3: It's a much different dynamic, Like that's the guy who's going to replace you and you're new, you haven't You've had a great career, but you've been put ating Pelts on the wall here yet you don't have that respect. Yeah, I mean if Wilson was sitting there with Pennix in the room.
Speaker 2: It was kind of similar though with Fields a little bit in that, you know, you have a guy with the Again, Fields is a high pedigree guy. He's a former first round draft pick and has done a lot of good things in the league. And you know, we we we've dealt with it on this show, and people, you know, wanted Fields to continue to be the starter. But those two had a relationship because of Wilson. You know Wilson, Yeah, had you know, they'd reached out to him when he was at Ohio State in Georgia and they had formed a relationship there that you know, And I talked to Fields about it. He goes, you know this, he was a guy that I you know, I admired, you know, the way he played the game because it was a similar style to the way I played.
Speaker 3: No, I think there's a lot to be said for that as opposed to just fantasy football. We're gonna put both you guys in the same locker. You know, that's not how it works, especially with quarterbacks, of course, you know, it's it's the highlander. There can be only one if there's one leader of the team, if there's one defensive lineman and the other one is his best buddy in the room. Okay, we'll be fine, we'll figure it out. But the quarterbacks need to they can have a rivalry, they can compete. Of course, if they don't, there's something wrong with them, you know, I mean, you still want to start. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, but I think that they handled that dynamic really really well.
Speaker 2: And I think part of it is because of those two guys in that relationship that they had.
Speaker 3: So I wonder how like Atlanta's how that feels, you know, with a new guy, especially coming up with injury, you can't improve yourself, you know.
Speaker 2: The other cool thing was was that Tomlin telling the players, Hey, if you got don't have a place to go for Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was cool. Yeah, you know, and they hate were brothers too. I happened to be Thanksgiving week, which was cool too. And I feel like Cam's gonna be pretty impressive in this thing too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Cam's Cam's Cam. Yeah, I kind of joke with him today because Tomlin said yesterday it is a press conference. Cam's been here for twenty five years. I'm like, I walked over to Cam today, I'm like, you're gonna let Mike hang twenty five years now on you. He just likes to say that stuff because he knows it ticks me off, and like whatever motivates you right again, pushing the right bush.
Speaker 3: And the buttons. Yeah, yeah, And I'm sure that they probably heard about it going into Cincinnati on a ten day rest, and they're probably still hearing about it, especially that d line. Remember how you played against the Brownies. Yeah, they'll watch that Brown's tape. You're happy with that? Yeah, but I bet it's still fresh on their mind a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, yeah, a little bit. Yeah. As Carl Dunbar said, when when Daddy's not happy, nobody's happy and yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they were not happy about that one.
Speaker 3: That was good stuff. I urge everyone to check it out. And I thought Tomlin was kind of the start of the show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you have this theory and it's still out there because I get it. Terry Bradshaw said, However, many years ago, Mike Tomlin's a cheerleader, and I still see that thrown about, Oh he's just a cheerleader, coach, You have no clue that watch these shows, right and tell me that all he does is cheerlead.
Speaker 3: He has a pulse of everything that goes on the organization. Yeah, I mean, big time in Belichick kind of way. You know, knows every little bit that's happening, right.
Speaker 2: I mean you see a difference sitting down with Danny Smith and talking about protections and things of that nature, Like sure, yeah, he's got he's got his finger on the pulse of every room in that building.
Speaker 3: Big time, as much as any head coach going right now, I think, to be very honest with you, I mean, he's a I forget Mike Lombardi calls it. He's the chief fixer upper guy, you know, like what's up fires? You know, like there's so many fires we never see because that they don't get raging out of control because he puts them out immediately, you know what I mean. That's that's a big job of a head coach.
Speaker 2: It really is, and it's I think it's a big reason why the guys who still want to be play callers on one side of the ball. I think that's why it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: I think it's brutal. I mean, if you're Andy Reid, I mean, okay, you're a special guy, but you're out, you're biting off more and you can chew. I mean, you don't see it anymore. But he used to be some of these coaches would also be GM. So I'm like, what do you You're asking too much? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't. You don't have time to scout during the season.
Speaker 3: No, right, I mean you got the fer and I mean it's not even the same skill set necessarily, you know. I mean, like just be the head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be a CEO type and the thing you know, when Tomlin was asked about his potential to burn out in this business on Tuesday, and he said, look, I'm not going to burn out on this, he said, I this is my hobby. This is what I love, and this is my hobby. This is football is what I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I mean my life's way different than Mike Tomlins. But people ask me all the time, like when you are gonna retire? I guess when people stop wanting to listen to me, because this is what I would you know, like right, I mean, if I was an accountant, my free time would be doing NFL stuff, you know, Yeah, yeah right, I mean it's kind of the same deal. If that's what you love, great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he certainly does love it. Yeah, if you watch this show and you got to get HBO to to do that, but yeah, if you watch the show, I think you'll come away with a different just I think, a better understaneling and general understanding of hows and.
Speaker 3: Why he's been so successful. It's not an accident and another non losing season, win playoff game. Like you know how hard it is to go season after season without having a down year. I mean it's in this game with injuries and picking late in the first round, you don't pick up top five ever, you know, I mean it's brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cleveland's going to have another top five pick this year, Cincinnati's gonna probably have another top ten pick this year.
Speaker 3: Jacksonville's probably going to have the first pick overall three out of five years.
Speaker 2: And you still stink, and you still stink.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what if he gave that to Tom One? Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he talks about, you know, on the sideline with you know, he's been miked up in the past, and he's joking with Chase Young. I never planned on being high enough to draft somebody.
Speaker 3: Like you, yeah, which is a compliment, yeah, you know, and it's also a little pat of my own back that we don't pick the top. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And yet somehow you still get kitting the Cam Haywards of the word, you still get the T. J.
Speaker 3: Watson all these guys, right. Absolutely, Yeah, it's not bad, not bad at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, out good. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: One of the guys that again was featured and during the show was was Herbig and uh, there was a lot out there to pick through with him, and so I wanted to talk to him about that today and found him in the locker room, so we'll hear what he had to say about some of the stuff that happened in the show. Uh, And some of the stuff that was picked up in the show anyways didn't really happen in the show. The show just happens. The football is what's taking place. The show is just they're kind of taking apart seeing all. Yeah while they're at that, but they're just capturing the moments. So I did talk to her Big about that today. We'll hear that when when we come back. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. We'll be back to finish up the show right after.
Speaker 4: This at least.
Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and Matt one of the guys. We just kind of touched on a little bit there in the previous segment talking about the Hard Knocks episode last night. Was Nick Krbig and the way Mike Tomlin handled him a little bit in that show I thought was interesting. And so I saw her Big in the locker room today and I said, I'm gonna go ask him some questions about that. Actually I went looking for him in the locker room and good found him there.
Speaker 3: Scope out for sure, absolutely, and he's been phenomenal.
Speaker 2: He's been on he's been on a bit of a tear since.
Speaker 3: He joined the league. I mean just pastoral. I mean efficiency per pass rush snap is really really high and no knocking anybody else, but he's gonna be hard to take off the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to figure out ways to do that. And yeah, I expect that they'll find some ways to.
Speaker 3: Do I would lighten TJ's load a little bit. You know, That's we've got a big picture to think about here. Maybe ten snaps less of game and put over over there or something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and he's capable of doing those kind of things. And I'm gonna pat myself on the head here, but uh, I'm gonna do it. He was. He was my dude going into that draft two years. Oh yeah, remember I was a big Herbig fan. I mean, the motor just is runs constantly and he is a nightmare to block.
Speaker 3: He really is. I mean he really got the better of Orlando Brown too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to him up a little bit. But let's hear what Nick Herbig had to say.
Speaker 5: Obviously, watching Hard Knocks last night, and it seemed like all week long like you're still you were gonna beat Orlando Brown for a big play.
Speaker 4: Was that the case or did they kind of played it up a little bit too much?
Speaker 7: No, it was, Yeah, that was literally every day emphasized that. He made sure he told me that that's gonna be me versus him, And here he told me that every time he saw him.
Speaker 5: It seemed like right before he went out and and got the stripsack, he had said it again.
Speaker 4: Was that happening throughout the game or was it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was every I guess every time I saw him that there was the same thing.
Speaker 5: Did that put I mean, is that kind of reinforce kind of what you're I mean, you know, you gotta beat the guy you're gonna get Yeah, going up again, but continued to say it just it.
Speaker 6: Definitely emphasizes it.
Speaker 7: And like I'm I say, you're thinking about like see him come out and tell you that, ye up, Like it's gonna be me versus him all day and we're gonna find Now.
Speaker 2: Does that help you kind of conceptualize and visualize it a little bit more?
Speaker 6: For sure?
Speaker 7: You know, especially when like coach Toman is saying that to you, Like it's not like it's you know, respect like any of the other coaches, but like it's coach Tomlan saying that, so.
Speaker 4: He knows your your matchups are cute.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, him pointing that out to you in front of the team is like, oh, we're gonna find out, like I'm putting you on this pedestal.
Speaker 6: And we're gonna see if you're really about that action.
Speaker 3: That's how I feel it.
Speaker 4: I mean, just him, he seems to push the right buttons with everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he definitely does. He knows how to push those.
Speaker 4: With Alec coming back now, you expect to still get those kind of reps. I mean, I mean, I'm not the usual three guys at the same time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'm not. I'm not too sure. I just know that whenever my number is called, I got to uphold that standard.
Speaker 5: You've obviously you got three fumbles in three straight games something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have you ever had a streak like this?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I just I just like to win football games. As long as we went, I'm happy.
Speaker 4: But obviously you're You've been a big part of that.
Speaker 5: You know, you get you get there Henry to fumble, you got fumble a lot, and you know you get to get your burrow.
Speaker 7: I just think that's just the culture here, and like my coach is emphasizing that, and like I have a great position coach in Denzel and Dunbar and you know they closed me well, they're hard on me, and you know it's that's what that's what it is expected here in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: That was Steelers outside linebacker Nick Herbig go with me earlier today and uh as you heard he Uh yeah, Tomlin knew what buttons to push with him and uh it worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it also helps to have a big brother figure around. And I'm not even talking about his brother. I forgot to talking about DJ. But yeah, I mean, pretty nice dynamic and I'm pretty psyched to see hoping it happens. But all four of those outside linebackers all in the same on the same field together once. It's pretty good group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could do a little uh, I don't even know what package you would call you gonna take you gonna take Cam Heyward off the field. I'm not real psyched about that, but I mean it's a nice problem to have that you've got too many good edge rushers. Yeah, yeah, you can just come at the waves. But Matt, that's going to do it for the show today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely guess today. Absolutely. We thank Jimmy Rooney for stopping by and joining us here in the in the studio. We want to thank Bob Labriola for stopping by as well as usual, and uh well for my partner Matt Williamson, for Justin Miller here on site running the Justin Miller Hotline, and for Tyler viitt Meyer here through him a little curve ball today with the in studio guest. Can check that out on YouTube. I am Dale, Lolly. We thank you for listening to this edition of the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network.