Speaker 1: Isth Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys Headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 2: Today is Tuesday, January thirtieth, and we are eighty six days away from the NFL Draft in Detroit, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Welcome into the Draft.
Speaker 2: Show, presented by Miller Lte live from the SWBC studio here at the Star in Frisco. It is All Star Game week inside these buildings, inside these walls, in the now in.
Speaker 3: Mobile, Alabama as well. We've got the.
Speaker 2: Shrine Bowl in town and the Senior Bowl underway practices starting this morning from Alabama.
Speaker 3: We have Nick Harris out there. We'll talk to him in a moment.
Speaker 2: But inside the studio we've got Bobby Belt, Zach Waltscha, Brian brought us Ayisha Morrison. I'm Kyle Yeolmans. This is an exciting time of year, Brian. I mean, you look at the prospects, you get to look at the film, you get to look at all of this information that just is flooding in at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and what we do is we've all studied the tape and now you get to see the body types and now you get to see the movements and stuff live. And that's the one thing that really helps you when you're evaluating these players.
Speaker 3: That's where these scouts go on the road all year long.
Speaker 4: What are they do and they're going to practices, they're watching the tape in the morning, they're catching the practice in the afternoon. They're getting body types, they're getting shapes, they're getting movements, they're getting all these things. So it's been a really this is one of the best times to kind of fill in. You're not going to see all the guys, but you're going to get an idea of some of the top ones in the country and I think that'll help. And then you get to the combine and you'll see even more movement skills and that would kind of like Okay, I watched the tape the other day Penn State was playing Michigan. Oh I saw him do this. Yep, he could do that. I remember short shuttle. He's quick doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That makes so everything kind of comes together for you when you get to this point.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: II Sha, you've been out at this Shrine Bowl this past week, getting your eyes on players got the rosters in front of you and everything.
Speaker 6: Y'allah.
Speaker 3: How has it been out there?
Speaker 6: Though, No, it's been cool.
Speaker 7: I enjoyed the Shrine Bowl just because I think you find some players there that you know, maybe haven't gotten a whole bunch of looks and maybe haven't gotten the most attention. But when you look at a guy like even like Jya Thomas who was in the Shrine Bowl and we talk about we think he's one of the more open coming players on this roster.
Speaker 6: It's it's a dope opportunity for.
Speaker 7: Some of these guys to get looks, and it's it's the best on the best, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: And that's when you find out who's really the best.
Speaker 8: Right, those are one v ones man, That's what it's all about. And I think it's fun. We talked last week with Dane about Stiggers, you know, the Canadian football.
Speaker 6: And he has stood out.
Speaker 3: But the breakdown it's been exactly what you saw.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, he's gonna go ahead and put his sideline, go go square sideline to the body here and then he's made some plays on the ball, I mean, one of the ones against some of these and Frank Gore Junior is another guy, right, he looked at some of these dudes played smaller competition, how were they when they get to match up against a dude that's coming from LSU or Alabama.
Speaker 3: I think we might have bumped up, You're We're good, We're good, You're back, bumped back.
Speaker 8: But Frank Gore Junior is the guy that I was watching last night kind of caught my eye because we're going through the Shrine Bowl stuff. He's dominating against the Appalachian States. I mean, we saw a lot of Conference USA football being North Texas mean dream, but.
Speaker 3: I felt like he was in school for like twelve.
Speaker 8: He was, and two years ago I went back watch him in twenty family tradition against Miami, and isn't it weird that one's going to.
Speaker 3: Make you feel a little bit old?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, But he's a guy that I think dominated when he was supposed to right at Southern Miss against some of these lower level competition. But when you get to see him in these type of environments, these practices, but also going back and watching against Miami, this dude can just play. I mean, he's got some special elements to his game. Is a little bit smaller, but then when you get to see him in person. I mean, all these things plus the personalities of these guys we also think is super important. I mean we talk about that a lot with quarterbacks, but what kind of makes these guys tick? Right? How much do they love the game? We've been taking notes. Man, I'm watching this dude play. It seems like he loves the game of football. You're able to tell in person when you actually get to see these dudes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I wanted to comment on stickers real quick. I literally wrote down, he don't know no better, so he does it? Yeah, because he exactly And so you see him and there's times where it looks like he got turned, but his hips are so he can flip him so quick he can recover.
Speaker 6: He just has a nose for the ball.
Speaker 7: But I had the opportunity to meet him and interviews on the first day, and he just exudes confidence, y'all, Like he's so he got that chip on his shoulder. You know, guy that maybe everybody doesn't think can really play, but when you look for a corner, that's what you're.
Speaker 6: Looking for, and he has like boatloads of it.
Speaker 7: So it's been really dope to see his play translate this week in drills in seven verse.
Speaker 8: Seven, well in size wise, like, I think his arm length kind of stood out as well. Well, yeah, I was like, man, it's pretty long. You mentioned the recovery ability. That's something too. It's just unique for a guy that hasn't played the sport a ton. He just kind of got these raw instincts that you look for. And I think, I mean, the more he gets to play, the better coaching he gets. This guy seems like the limit for a player like that.
Speaker 6: And if D's coming back, he looks kind.
Speaker 3: Of looks the part. He kind of looks like, you don't have to whisper it. It could happen.
Speaker 6: He kind of looks like the corners they like, yeah, it's just saying.
Speaker 3: It's the mold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very well, could happen.
Speaker 9: No, I actually, I really love what Shrine has done and like what Shrine's become. I think Eric Galco has done a fantastic job building that up the way he has. That was kind of an afterthought for a long time, similar to like you know, they would put it in the same like Okay, you get the NFLPA game, you get the Shrine Bowl. Those aren't going to be nearly as significant as the Senior Bowl. But I mean they've got some real talent here this week. I mean, you know, they've got Edge Cooper here from Texas A and M. John Brooks is a big one. I think there's just they've done a really good job of kind of stacking things up, and Dallas gets such a huge advantage. I feel like just being able to have that here at home, take advantage of that, leave for Senior Bowl run through. It's just this is the marathon sprint right here.
Speaker 8: And the offensive line play. We've talked about that the entire time. It seems like these offensive linemen and how about these Dakota schools. I was mentioning that yesterday football. Last year we talked to Cody malk out of North Dakota State. South Dakota State's got some boys this year.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 3: The offensive line play is just super impressive right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hey that South Dakota State teams won back to back national championships at the FCS level.
Speaker 3: Both know this area.
Speaker 2: About to say, they're pretty welcome here in Frisco. They've been here a time or two to pay taxes there here. Now we're talking about Shrine, and we are going to talk a little bit more about what we've seen this week and what has stuck out.
Speaker 3: But today was the.
Speaker 2: First practice of the Senior Bowl down in Mobile, Alabama, and one of our very own Nick Harris, is out in Mobile. He is on the sideline as we speak, and he's also on the phone line as we speak.
Speaker 3: It was Sam Hartman just completed a really long pass. Nick, what's going on? What are you seeing down there in Mobile?
Speaker 11: Yeah, what's going on? Pellas You just saw that Sam Harbon pass down to Roman Wilson, Michigan wide receiver down the middle. Yeah, it looking pretty good out here. We've only been about through about an hour of team drill, so really just kind of getting a feel of how these guys move around, the instincts that they kind of have, getting a good feel as they start to get comfortable being in this Senior Bowl environment. But so far, you can definitely tell which of the standouts and which of the guys that we're really looking forward to this week. You can see which ones are popping and which ones are taking a minute to kind of get adjusted.
Speaker 3: But so far, it's been so good.
Speaker 2: Now you've talked about Jackson Powers Johnson the Center from Oregon on this show a couple of times. I know earlier in the day you were talking about how much he's already stood out. What's going on with Jackson Powers Johnson, and how is he impressing you so far?
Speaker 11: Yeah, he looked really good, guys. I mean that's strong anchor that you know, we've been able to see on film and we've been able to see from him in his time of Oregon, both at center, right guard, left guard. He's showing all of that so far today in the one on one settings. He has taken a lot of reps at center, also took a few at right guard, and we didn't lose one rep. I looked really good. I mean he gets those back beat down in the surf and he drives forward. It's been really tough to get around him so far. So as I see it right now, probably the most consistent offensive lineman. Through that first little one on one session, each offensive lineman probably got about four or five reps. But yeah, so far, he's looking really good. He's taken to coaching, and yeah, he just turned twenty one a couple of weeks ago. I mean, this is a guy that could be a franchise changer at center, I think for any franchise that gets them, and I'm starting to think it's going to be tough for him to slip twenty four if we're talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Hey, Nick, I know there needs to be two of you to split and watch the practice to cover it the way. But where have you found like the most scouts. Was there a huge crowds around the one on one with the linemen. Where do you think all the NFL guys are focusing their attention right now?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Most definitely the lineman. We've talked about this tackle class quite a bit. But also there's some really going interior guys here in Mobile this week. So being able to kind of pair both of those things, that's where you're gonna find most of the thirty two teams being able to kind of hover around. But also saw him quite a bit with the linebackers were here in this first practice. Here on this team, you got Sedgrim Gray from North Carolina, Peyton Wilson from North Carolina State Mayor Buis Out from a Notre Dame. We've talked about all three of those guys on the show. A scout has definitely been a hanging around those guys as well.
Speaker 3: What about the quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: I think that we talked last week with Danny got bow Niggs, you got Michael Pennix Junior. But we're watching Sam Hartman now. We were just talking before the show started. Hartman's a guy that there just doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz about right now from Notre Dame.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, and so far he had that really nice pass across the middle to Roam and Wilson earlier, and you know, he's looked pretty good so far. It's kind of something in her a full complete scope of these quarterbacks so far, they've just now started to put the ball through the air as far as routes on air, they were doing one on ones with running backs and linebackers a little bit earlier, so more so short the intermediate works that all three, they looks good. They're getting adjusted here. I really like what I've seen from Sam Harmon as you said, and Michael Pennix had a couple of moments as well.
Speaker 13: Nick.
Speaker 7: The safety position hasn't really gotten any love for real in the last couple of seasons. I feel like, are there any safeties down there? That you are interested in looking at and kind of your Yeah.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I'm looking at Coldish about if you call. He's in this group that I've seen so far here early in the morning. I really like what I see from him. When you talk about being able to kind of identify instincts early on, he's one of them, and they trusted him in some single high opportunities here in this early practice session. I really like what I've seen from him. And then this TV group as a whole, some versaal guys that are kind of around. You're kind of seeing some guys move around. Evan Williams from Oregon, You've seen him line up at safety, come down to Nickels. He's done some good work as well. And then both Smith Wade out of Washington State kind of similar stuff. So, yeah, those are some guys I'm definitely looking.
Speaker 3: At me and back Nick.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you doing some great work down there in Mobile.
Speaker 3: We will check back in with you on Thursday. Sounds like there's a lot going on behind you as well.
Speaker 2: Always fun down there. Enjoy your time, get some seafood and have a good one.
Speaker 11: Thanks guys. We'll definitely come back on Thursday. Listen more.
Speaker 2: There you go, there's Nick Harris. He will be back Thursday for the show. But I mean, what a time it is, Brian you were talking about at a moment again, just every kindle, every rep matters for these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. And what's really cool is the NFL.
Speaker 4: It used to be for my era where the teams, the two worst teams in the league were getting to coach, you know, and you almost felt like those guys were being punished, you know, the way.
Speaker 3: But now you have the way the.
Speaker 4: League is set it up where these young assistant coaches, they're giving them opportunities to be coordinators, a head coach, you know, set a game plan together.
Speaker 3: I mean they're giving them great experience.
Speaker 4: And so their enthusiasm, along with the players enthusiasm, along with all the buzz with the media and the scouts and stuff and the building make this just such a fun event for evaluation, you know, I mean, it is it is. It's Jim Naggy does a hell of a job picking that team. This is not just show up the week before and get a bunch of guys together.
Speaker 3: This is a year long process.
Speaker 4: And the way that Naggy puts it together with the help of the scouts and the general managers around the league. That's why Nick Harris is able to talk about seven or eight different and you got some of the top quarterbacks here, you know, throwing in as I usually would say, good verse good here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and that's the that's.
Speaker 4: The great thing about the Senior Bowl and what we have going forward.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and you mentioned that, like what Naggy's done with the Senior Bowl and how they grind you around, because that's the things that it's He's turned it into its own scouting organization he does.
Speaker 3: He's got scouts, he's like at thirty thirteen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, and they've had guys hired away from the Senior Bowl in recent years, guys who are on those scouting staffs that now they are area scouts with other teams. Like it's been a really good pipeline not just for talent, but like talent evaluators. And so that's something that I know, there's there's a lot of respect for the feedback that was given in the past. You know, not to call any names, but in the past, it felt like there was a censor around the league that like there were favors being done at times or like oh you're you're helping an agent out here or something like that. There's not going to be any of that the Senior Bowl these days. Jim Naggy is committed to making it like and he'll take feedback if they don't great somebody. Similarly, if they say, hey, we want to see this guy out there, they get him out there. And so this is always a really good week. I cannot wait to get a chance to look at the practice stuff and get a look at the tape because there's just a lot, you know, here that we can glean from this week because of the competition and the level of play that's really stepped up in recent years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: We talked about it a little bit last week just leading into this week, but you've have so many connections around the league.
Speaker 3: Where do you feel like the hotbed of talent is.
Speaker 2: From a position standpoint at the Senior Bowl Because everybody views it differently. Dane's gonna look at it differently than Brian, Brian different than Bobby. But you're hearing stuff from around the league of how these positions line up in Mobile.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think like the common thing that you hear a lot is just how deep the offensive line class is just around you know, the entire landscape this year, and so I think there's a lot of interest in you know, the offensive line that are there. I'm curious, I've seen I know he took the invite, and there's not a lot of clarity about whether he's on the roster. There's practice in this week, But Graham Barton from Duke, like, that's somebody who I know people are interested in because his measurements are going to be significant even if he's kicking inside the center. Questions about the arm length, stuff like that. I think that the one on ones will be big for him if he's out there, if he's able to take advantage that that's not gotten a lot of clear to but just in general, you hear a lot of scouts talking about that the offensive line play is.
Speaker 5: Going to be big.
Speaker 9: That was one of the things we heard too about Shrine, that Shrine had a lot of you know, really good value guys here at offensive line on both sides that they were excited about.
Speaker 5: So offensive line focus.
Speaker 9: I think obviously people that the big thing for Pennix is going to be medical, but seeing guys like Pennox and Nicks and some of these older quarterbacks that are going.
Speaker 5: To be on display.
Speaker 9: This has been a breeding ground and a difference maker week for quarterbacks in the past. Philip Rivers vaulted way up to the top of the draft board and the draft conversation after Senior Bowl years ago, Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: Made a big impression on the Cowboys here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and so I think quarterbacks this is always a big week for them when you can see them in the Baker Mayfield. I know had a lot of people were impressed that he showed up and competed when he did.
Speaker 5: A couple of years ago.
Speaker 9: So quarterback is always a big one with the guys that are out there. And we mentioned Hartman, Pennix, Nicks, I think this is a big week for those guys too.
Speaker 3: I know Connell helped himself last year. Yes he did.
Speaker 8: He certainly had a big one. But I am pumped about these quarterbacks because I think everybody's looking at them very differently. You know, bon Nicks is a guy that you're seeing now in the first round in some Bochs. I know we've been talking to Dane. He might some teams might have him as the number one, number two quarterback. I don't see that from bo Nicks. I've got like a third round grade on him. To me, I think he was definitely helped and the offense that he was in, you don't see him reading the field a ton. It's kind of first read boom, get the ball out. He had one of the quickest time of releases for the football in all of college football. I mean, Troy Franklin, I think is an absolute study, had a ton of talent around him from Oregon. So Bonnicks will be an interesting study this week. Is Michael Pennix To me, I think is a better prospect. I think Pennix throws maybe the best D ball that I've seen in this draft. I know Caleb Williams is just an absolute freak show as well, but I love being able to watch both of them together. And then you've got two family bloodlines with Luke McCaffrey and then Brendan Rice Jerry Rice's son as well. And I was seeing the NFL Network interviewing Brendan Rychie earlier. You know, McCaffrey's a guy just played at Rice. We talked about that level of competition. How does he do in one of these. I mean, we've seen a Cooper Cup several years ago go and just absolutely dominated the Senior Bowl. So that's what these are all about. Some of these guys that maybe the quarterbacks think you can get a lot from. To Bobby's point, but also some of the dudes, as I mentioned, you played at Rice the North Dakota States, and I'm interested to see some of these bloodlines. Is we have a ton in this draft. It seems like more than ever. Jeremiah Trotter junior we talked about as well. I mean there's so many legacy guys in this draft class.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm excited about that.
Speaker 7: Well, when you ask the question, Kyle, you know what position do you think? You know people are looking at wide receiver is pretty deep this draft. And it's interesting too because I wrote down back to normal kind of because last year we talked about it, it was so many smaller guys and you were there was concern about the guy's size and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: And this year is like five ten finally the sixth ones. Like it's only like a couple of guys who were five ten, five eleven.
Speaker 7: Most of these guys are over six. Big catch radiuses and things like that. So I do think this is this wide receiver class could be important to some teams. Decided to maybe try to get over the humping and get a second or third guy to be able to make a difference on our teams this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things about working here is whenever you're having normal conversations just in the building at lunch.
Speaker 3: Stuff like this pops up.
Speaker 2: And one of the conversations we had among it was Nick Harris and a couple of others in the group, and we were talking about it yesterday. What happens if a twenty twenty situation happens where you need these other positions. You need a run stuff or you need offensive lineman, you need a defensive end or two or linebackers. There are positions of need for the Cowboys. But you're looking up and you're at twenty four and then all of a sudden, you've got a guy that's falling in your lap.
Speaker 3: You've got a Donzi, a Coleman.
Speaker 2: Troy Franklin from Oregon, I mean, you've got these guys falling.
Speaker 3: In your lap. Do you entertain the option at wide receiver? Because you have cdee Lamb.
Speaker 2: Outside of that, you're bringing back Brandon Cooks, you're bringing back Jalen Tolbert. Who knows what Michael Gallup's future is in the building. Brian, would you entertain that just because of how talented this wide receiver classes.
Speaker 3: I am always about the stack.
Speaker 4: I am always you know, and I will die on that hill about the stack because I feel like that if you don't window dress your board and you put those players on that board where you would take them and you have the opportunity to grab them.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget this.
Speaker 4: We were in a draft where it was the Quincy Carter Draft with the Cowboys, and we didn't have a first round pick, and we had a first round grade on Kendrell Bell, linebacker from Georgia.
Speaker 3: First round grade. We don't have a first round pick.
Speaker 4: It gets to us at the second round and we took Quincy Carter, and I understand we didn't have a quarterback and all that. That was a long story how that all went, but that was our last first round guy on the board, and Kendall Bell ended up being AFC took Pittsburgh took him right after us, and he ended up being AFC defensive Rookie of the Year and you just that right there. Always confirmed to me, like, if you trust your board and put the players where they need to be, the draft guards will bless you in a lot of ways. And so I'm always about that. If you know, if the discussion turns into you know, don't jump tags, you know, if you set your board how you feel, how it goes, and you could go. You could go right a lot of the time if you just follow exactly what your board tells you to go.
Speaker 7: And I think that could happen, especially to off offensive line is important because teams need better offensive linemen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, clearly, I mean, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 7: Now we've seen an influx of quarterback injuries this past year which made a huge difference. I do think that that position is important. So when you talk about wide receiver, I do think that a lot of these tackles and guardsm early some of these top guys. So maybe you do have a wide receiver fall to you, or running back or something fall to you that you're like, okay, well maybe I will take this guy here.
Speaker 3: Could the to her point?
Speaker 4: Could the you know, always you always hope that the quarterbacks are the ones that drive front.
Speaker 3: Lawyers to you, sure, maybe trade them back there. Yeah. Could the offensive tackles drive players to you? I think yes? Or do you want them to fall to you? Though?
Speaker 2: That's my thing? You might want to Jordan Morgan out of area. Yeah, I mean I'm all about trying Tyler guy. Yeah, I'd love to try and attack the offensive line in the first round. I mean, I think that's just where the meat and potatoes is of this first round. But I think to your point, yes, I think absolutely, you've got we're looking at what seven eight offensive tackles, Yes, that could go in this first round. And that's not even including some like the Graham Bartons or the Fontina from Washington that we think could maybe kick inside and be interior players. I mean, I think Nick's right powers Johnson. You look at the versatility that he's got from Oregon. Teams cove at that.
Speaker 8: I mean, this dude's played all across the offensive line, and I mean it's tough to watch his tape last year and put anything negative in your notes. The dude is just a clean player, and we've seen the impact. I think you can look at right now the teams have just made it to the final four center.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, that's you're exactly right.
Speaker 8: And I think Travis Frederick since he has left this Cowboys organization, and it's no disrespect to Tyler Biadish, but there's been a massive drop off. Sure, and you look at some of the leaks and the issues that this offensive line has had. I think a lot of it has to do within the middle and the center position. In every quarterback, you can evaluate if you get pressure right up your face, it is going to disrupt everything you want to do offensively, your timing, your rhythm, You're flushed out of the pocket. So I think, yes, I think teams are going to covet these offensive linemen. I think all of them are going to see him differently. I think some will look at a Numarius Mims from Georgia and be like, hey, I don't care about the lack of starts. This dude is twenty years old. He is a freak athlete. I can look at him and build him into an all pro type of linemen, right. I think the same thing. Maybe a Patrick Paul. We don't love him out of Houston. I think he's a little bit sloppy, a little bit top heavy, but skill set wise, physically he looks the part. I think everybody's going to look differently at these offensive tackles, and it's going to cause one might go way earlier than we think. You know, a Kingsley from b YU. Yeah, I mean he's a guy that's playing in the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 3: Now try that last name.
Speaker 14: I know.
Speaker 8: I mean that's there's there's so many offensive linemen I think where they come off the board, he'll be fascinating that name. By the way, he didn't help did you not nail it?
Speaker 3: But he didn't help you while you needed the name? No, Yeah, but it's okay, we got it now.
Speaker 9: That is the thing, though, is that you're if you're talking about like teams coveting offensive lineman and wanting to use that capital because that is where like the real top heavy aspect is of this and you know, receiver offensive lind of those are the guys that could be pushed down to or whatever else depending on how teams Stager. I do think you should covet offensive lineman though here, like you need to be part of that discussion. And and I mean that's something where they've got questions about center. Look, Zach Martin is getting older, Tyron Smith is getting older. Terrence Steel he's here, but I mean he's coming off of an injury. You got to see how he bounces back. So I think you can never have enough offensive lineman, especially offensive line with flexibility who can can kind of play multiple positions. That's something they covet, Mike Salari covets, and so you know, I think that offensive lineman should be high up on their first round consideration.
Speaker 4: They've they've proven that they could take first run offensive lineman and they're plug and play guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean that's the one thing you could take that to the bank with these guys.
Speaker 7: I have a question. So since we're talking about offensive line, I'm very curious about awesome Richard's still I don't know, because I was surprised in the instances where you know, Tyrone was out and got it and he wasn't the next guy like in those instances, even for them to go with the Doga before him when we had seen to me enough of idogas.
Speaker 6: No, maybe that's not it there, So I am.
Speaker 7: Curious about I do think that'll play a role in some of maybe some of their decision making with if they decide to take a tackle early. But then also to you, Matt will let's go, who has his shoulder injuries? What do you think you're gonna consistently get from him at this point? Because this seems like a reoccurring thing with him since college. I think it's a hereditary thing from my understanding. So it's like, hey, are those gentlemen going to make a difference in some of their decision making or do you think that maybe we should be continuing to look?
Speaker 2: No matter what, I think you got to keep looking. He's a fifth round pick, Austome Richards. I mean, he was high on our list of a Day three guy, and so when they took him at the.
Speaker 3: Fifth round pick, that was a value there.
Speaker 2: But they've also shown as good as they are of picking guys in the first round, they also aren't going to rush day three picks into a starting life either, and I think it's more of.
Speaker 3: A developmental task for them with Austoin Richards.
Speaker 2: Plus, they don't want to put him in a situation like where let's go, where he's having to battle through injuries, He's having to battle through certain things. Josh Ball is another example from the twenty twenty draft of a guy twenty twenty one draft of a guy that they took.
Speaker 3: On day three.
Speaker 2: They wanted him to develop, and it hasn't necessarily worked out in their favor.
Speaker 3: They want to take their.
Speaker 2: Time with that guy with awesome Richards specifically because they've maybe been burned in the past in a situation like that.
Speaker 3: I think I think you got to fix the center first. Yeah, me too. I'm looking at center.
Speaker 4: If you had to tell me, and this is nothing to you know, like I said, I do have I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I do have my concerns about Austin Richards.
Speaker 4: But I think he's the one guy that I was watching from North Carolina last year when he was taken, and I remember talking Will McLay after the draft.
Speaker 3: I said, you got value there. You picked a guy.
Speaker 4: Because sometimes you take these kids and they might be no offense to directional state, school whatever, but you know, you kind of looking for trade. This kid played at North Carolina, played at a very high level, played against really good competition, played well against good competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's I.
Speaker 4: Think the traits are there for him to develop, Okay, but it's I mean, if you want to talk about TJ.
Speaker 3: Bat I haven't seen TJ Bass play center. So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: A lot of people say, well, why would you just plug bass in at center or why would you just play Hoffmann? Yeah, I like what you're saying. But also I'm looking at the draft right now, and I see four guys I like better than that option, right, you know that I that I know. I've seen these guys play center at a very high level. I think if you if you address the center spot here and you fix it, you're going to fix a lot of your offensive line problems.
Speaker 3: Preach in my and and.
Speaker 4: And that's gonna sound like a slam to uh to, And I mean that in no disrespect. But there are times where he is good and there's times where he is a liability.
Speaker 3: And and that is and and I think they know that. I think they know that.
Speaker 4: And and this it's just like, you can't pass the opportunity, in my opinion of how many good centers there are in this draft and not address that. You know, but maybe they will have a player in their stack that's higher than a sinner and they will work it that way. And if that's the case, I admire him for doing that because they've done it before.
Speaker 8: And maybe it is one of those offensive tackles. I would still take one of those tackles. And I'm not concerned because, look, awesome, Richards. If he ends up being a swing tackle for you, that's an important position. I mean, we've seen that a great value with the Dallas, absolutely swing tackle in the fifth they've struggled.
Speaker 3: I mean you mentioned a doga.
Speaker 8: If he's a guy that can fill that spot, I'm totally okay with that.
Speaker 4: Good for him, Okay, Aisha, I'm gonna let you take an offensive tackle or a linebacker, and they're both grades are the same on your board, and there maybe maybe their tacks are touching in your stack, either an offensive tackle or a linebacker on your on your on your board, I'm.
Speaker 6: Probably gonna take a tackle.
Speaker 7: I mean, especially too with linebacker. We haven't I don't know if we've talked about it a lot, but I think the DT position didn't help you with linebacker either.
Speaker 3: That's a good point point.
Speaker 7: I mean, I ain't gonna are you kind of.
Speaker 6: Miss Carlos Watkins. I thought you cound of Miss Carlos Quatkins.
Speaker 7: I thought even getting I mean even Bohanna leaving. I felt like he did some decent things over there where he was this year. I mean, so to me, I feel like personally, you can get a DT and that could help out some of your linebacker stuff, even if you.
Speaker 6: Decide to get a guy, but your tackle stuff bebby.
Speaker 7: You got to take care of that now because it caused problems this year. But I do agree with you that sinner is important, and I also think it's important too to your point Zach is that Zach Martin is getting older and it's not a knock to him, but hey, he needs somebody steady on the other side of him because he's not only dealing with Terrence Steele coming back from injury, trying to, you know, get his things together.
Speaker 6: Your sinner's getting this.
Speaker 7: He'll kicked sometimes and your guards having to help a lot because his awareness is there.
Speaker 6: He's aware.
Speaker 7: You want him to be able to play sound and be confident in his position and not be worried about the guy next to him consistently. So I'm also looking at that as well.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I mean, I know you mentioned you said if they were rated the same, I don't have a linebacker that's a first round calibary.
Speaker 3: But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If they were, if they were, if they were close, I'm taking the value.
Speaker 8: I'm still taking the offensive line. I think that's always an area that you need to replenish. And we've seen when this team has their best opportunity, it's because they're strong with the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: Watch my watch my my podcast partner take a line but different.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna take the linebacker if they're gret at the same I'm taking the linebacker because, yeah, you point out, like you look at conference championship weekend, it's great center play across the board, but also the biggest difference if you look at it, there's a great linebacker play on and you talk about you've got these issues last year pretty consistently, it felt like if guys just like stepping in the wrong gap or reading and reacting too slowly or reading it wrong or whatever else. And so I think that to me, if you can get me, you know, if you're telling me it's Powers Johnson and Edge Cooper or something like that in the second round, Like I would take Cooper at that point.
Speaker 7: So to your point about that, though, should we be asking, oh, I don't want to piss nobody off.
Speaker 6: Should we be asking for.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying, so, should we be asking what are y'all being coached? And I'm only asking that because it's been this is it's a consecutive thing. It's not just it's not just one player having these issues.
Speaker 6: I'm asking No, No.
Speaker 7: That's something that maybe we should be wondering about because this is a new linebacker coach, this is a new gentleman in the room.
Speaker 3: That does that make So don't have a ton of bodies there.
Speaker 6: You, I mean, the death matters.
Speaker 7: But I also too, do think if we're consistently seeing players take the wrong reads, being the wrong it could be them just doing their own thing.
Speaker 6: But also to we need to ask, like, what are you guys being taught?
Speaker 7: Because this is why are you jumping into the C gap when your assignment.
Speaker 6: Is a gap?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that I would not. I think there's a lot you can put on coaching. I think at the end of the day, players have to make no, no, I know. I think at the end of the day, players have to make plays. And I think that when you talk about reading and reacting, like like we've seen consistently it's not just in Dallas. That is a league wide problem. Like people talk about league wide how there's just a lack of quality offensive line play, like it's just a talent starved position. Nobody has enough good offensive lineman. There's routinely how many times do we watch it feels like half the linebackers coming out, even the ones at the top, are like, Wow, he does this, really this really Sometimes he's a guesser, though, and he just kind of runs in. It's it's a very mentally taxing position. And I think they're two highest IQ linebackers they were without this year, the guys that they expected to carry them a little bit, Vanderesh and even Overshown. Yep, Clark guesses at times, and Clark can be a good player. It's just Clark guesses sometimes. That was something that they had happened with Devin Harper when he was here. Like it's just it's it's an issue I think league wide the ability to read, react, identify all of those things, and Dallas has been hit by it just like anybody else has. So I coaching obviously comes into play at some point in that, But to me, I think a lot of that is just players get what they put in like they're going to get out of it, the work that they put into this.
Speaker 4: Why is Peyton Wilson at North Carolina State so banged up?
Speaker 5: I love?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm with you too, and I'm like, and he's just so banged up. Nick told me he was looking good out there though, and.
Speaker 4: Of course he's incredible and he's had double digit surgeries, you know, I mean, you're just like, you just shake your head and but you do. You put on the tape and all that guy does is make play. He's making every single play, every single play. But you know that's the dangers now that you're dealing with. Yeah, the medicals, the risk vers Roar, you nailed it, though. I think Bobby mentioned the IQ. You're you're lacking your general at the linebacker position. You brought up Patrick Queen.
Speaker 8: Patrick Queen was not the same player until Rokwan Smith got to Baltimore. Patrick Queen was a guy that wasn't living up to a first round round potential. They were wondering should even pick up a fifth year option there. Rokuan Smith comes, he starts wearing the green dot, he's calling the defense. All of a sudden Patrick Queen can play free. Now, I think you get a guy that can do that. De Mone Clark's a different player too.
Speaker 3: Maybe we're not the spoiltest guy.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's why I'm looking at it. I'm looking at you know, Tommy Eichenberg from Ohio State.
Speaker 5: Gee.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a field general. Yeah, he's getting everybody lined up. He can read, he can diagnose now athletically going sideline to sideline. He doesn't have, you know, fluid hips necessarily. He might have some things that kind of hold him back. That's why he'll slide, but mentally he's there. Cedric Ray from North Carolina, I love it. Jeremiah Trotter junior from Clemson. These are guys that know exactly what they're looking at. They're film junkies. You can tell the football like you.
Speaker 2: And there's an element to that that I think Dallas could help from. But there are a couple other ways that they could look at their players too.
Speaker 3: When we come back.
Speaker 2: One of our Twitter on the twenty questions has to do with what type of draft theme could we see from that team across the hallway.
Speaker 3: When we come back.
Speaker 2: In a matter of moments, you're watching the Draft Show presented by Miller Lay.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 3: They snapped the press down. Who looks right, It's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With black dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 13: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can see near, far, and between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 12: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Nautilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Issae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch and that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King. The official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into the Draft Show, presented by Miller Lyte Taste you can depend on. This segment is brought to you by your Texas Ford Dealers.
Speaker 3: Ford is the best in Texas.
Speaker 2: Brian brought us Ayisha Morrison, Bobby Belt, Zach Wolchuck, I'm Kyle Yeomans and Chris Beams in the back. He's getting ready to press a button because it's time for some Twitter.
Speaker 3: There you go. That was That was Beam. They didn't do it, but that's okay, Louis. It says out all these years, it just gave out. Just it was done.
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 2: Is this year's draft theme to get more physical players?
Speaker 3: If you were the front office, what would you do in your approach? Start with Bobby Belt on that one. Look.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think they had their physicality draft a couple of years ago, like, and I think they feel like they got those guys. Like I think they feel like toughness and physicality. They got with Tyler Smith, they got with Jake Ferguson, they got with Sam Williams. Like I think that was a big point for them, a couple of pretty well for you it did, Yeah, No, And I think that this year, I think they would say that the physicality thing has been more overblown than tape showed. For most of the year, I think they felt like they were a pretty like reasonably physical football team for a lot of the year, and I'd probably agree with that. It was it was not the same issue you saw the first time they lost to San Francisco. That was a team that had a lot of trouble physicality every game that year.
Speaker 5: They were into that.
Speaker 9: I think it's always a consideration. It's always included in there. I think the mental makeup, I think they I think they want some guys who are a little nasty and that that Jake Ferguson energy that gets up and kind of annoys people and things.
Speaker 5: I think they like that.
Speaker 9: I think they want more guys like that, and so I think that's a trait they'll look for. I don't think it's hey, this is the primary focus, this is how we're like this is the primary focus as we stack our board. But I think that that's going to be an important trait that if it's put in the scouting report, that's going to stand out to people here.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Well, look at me, because it's because you're on this show.
Speaker 6: I thought we was going like, oh, we want to go hey do you Yeah? No, No.
Speaker 7: I do think it is important we talk about the mental makeup of some of these guys.
Speaker 6: I kind of do want some guys that don't know no better. I really do.
Speaker 7: And part of me is just because this plan for this team does come with a lot of mental, emotional, different strain, different pressure. I definitely want to see if there's some gentlemen that they can bring in here who just love football and want to go play like a stickers, like who's just trying to prove himself and has that rawness to him and that edginess to him. To your point, I thought Jake Ferguson was a really good because there's times you would look at Jake Ferguson make a play and he had the defense hype on this side, And I do think that that matters when you talk about temperament and once you get hit in the mouth, how you respond?
Speaker 6: And I think that's the biggest thing is I'm looking for.
Speaker 7: I'm looking for them to have guys that respond better to getting hit in the mouth, because I felt like every time they got hit in the mouth this past year, it was a struggle to get back in that mode and it was deflating at times as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I say, I think that is a massive area where they miss Trayvon Diggs this year. Was they missed that intensity, they missed that edge he was. He was a tone setter for them in the secondary. And I think that when we talk about like jumping back a little bit, and we talk about resetting center and doing different things, like you have to have an awareness that walking away from Tyler Biottish means also walking away from generally kind of your enforcer on the offensive line and the guy who has some of that edge and plays with that intensity for a team that wants more of that, Like I'm not saying that he's come back, but for a team that wants more of that, Like, you're gonna have to consider that when you're looking at these centers, too, is how you're gonna make that up If you're saying goodbye to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that's everything that I'm looking at with these offensive linemen. You know, the more grit, the more toughness, the more I'm playing through the whistle, the more I'm knocking your face in the dirt. We're gonna get after it down after down. That's what I'm watching. That's what you want and you got that coming. So yeah, So I know Tyler Biadish in training camp, don't pick a fight with me. The problem is we're seeing inconsistency and Tyler Biodish getting overpowered and bullied at times. And can you upgrade that on the football field week into week out? And I think some of these guys do give you some of that same play temperament that a Beyondish does and that you want to I think you're right he is one of your guys, along with Tyler Smith on the offensive line. But I think a lot of these tackles that we're watching, a lot of these guards and centers have that. That's certainly something that I'm looking at because I think one draft you're not going to fix your toughness issue. I think that's something you commit to, that is something that you want overall, you're looking as players that you're drafting year in and you'ar out. That's the kind of culture and temperament I want my football team. I think you got to keep just going to that.
Speaker 4: Well, give me the high IQ football player, because when this defense busts, it's because they bust coverages, or they bust assignments, or they do stuff that they're not supposed to do. What you were talking about earlier, I should wear jumping in gaps, you know, know wing damn Goodwell you've got a gap and you're playing all of a sudden you're standing in the sea gap because you're guessing. You know, I give me, I think these guys are tough, but give me the guys that make those instinctive plays.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's I need more, Like I need more of a Sean Lee.
Speaker 15: I need a smart yeah tank, I need a smart calculating assignments sound player that I know that it's going to not bust in key situations.
Speaker 4: It seemed like to me that Green Bay game was nothing but busted coverages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, busted assignments. You know.
Speaker 4: You know there's I can understand getting physically beat on plays, but when you prep for a game and get ready and you see a formation in your assignments to do this and you completely don't do that.
Speaker 3: Then I can't play you.
Speaker 4: I can't put you on the field because you just give up forty seven yard pass because you didn't carry the guy in man coverage. You know, you could be tough all you want, but if you don't know what you're doing, then that's a problem. So I need more of those Sean Lee tough, but also that football IQ guy sounds like you guys need Javon Bullard from Georgia and that back end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, generally your safety group and you'll be fixed. You have to take him in the first No, no, no, I think that you can probably go Day two on him. That's good like that. I think that. The one thing I said about him, he's he's so far he's my favorite guy in the entire draft. Oh, he's your pet cat. You're putting the staker on it. Yeah, I love you know who this guy is?
Speaker 5: Who is it?
Speaker 3: He's Petrie, the kid from Bay. This is who this kid is.
Speaker 6: That's what you take about him. I ain't watched him yet.
Speaker 3: I think he's the best.
Speaker 8: Petrie's turned out pretty good. I'll take him pound for pound, best dB in the entire class.
Speaker 3: I love him. He Uh, he's one of those. Uh, he's one off.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 3: If it moves, he'll strike it. Guys.
Speaker 4: You know, the ball skills are there. I mean he's got a high football IQ. You're absolutely right about that. He's short though, he's a five to eleven guy. What do you measure the Senior Bowl. I'm sure that they've gotten I need to check my guys. Yeah, I'm sure that I had that somewhere in my life.
Speaker 3: Here spreadsheets getting updated this week. All right. With with that all being said, here's our second question for Twitter and a half. A short, don't don't make the winfield junior misteak. It's now he's okay. He will knock the you know what out. He's physical downhill player.
Speaker 2: Uh or Colin asked, given the position strengths in the draft, offensive line, wide receiver as a couple examples, which positions do you think Dallas should be more aggressive at at upgrading through free agency as opposed to relying on the dress.
Speaker 3: Draft show, sir, well, mostly open up position wise. I'm just kidding. I'm totally kidding.
Speaker 2: I think It is a good question though, because with free agency coming before the draft, you're going to know some of the holes that are remaining.
Speaker 4: In your roster, how much they're really going to jump into that, how much are they going to Bobby, how much they're going to jump into that.
Speaker 9: So I mean, I think that's they every year will create contingency. Sure like every year they create contingencies across so that they can go best player available. I think if you're talking about actually having to look, I mean, you got a free up cap space to begin with, because right now you're projected to be twenty million plus over the cap. I think the thing for them, I would wonder if they would look at it and say, like, obviously they have they're gonna have interest in some linebackers.
Speaker 5: They've been thin there.
Speaker 9: But I would wonder if they would look at it and say, because they want guys who are going to read and react correctly, they want IQ guys. If they would look and say linebackers more somethingwhere I'd like to have seen it on tape at the NFL level like I would, I would like to see that this guy's got experience, knows what he's doing. Let's go get this, let me go get a veteran here to do this. So I wonder if some of those areas where they feel like they're particularly maybe IQ deficient or and I don't want to sound like dumb or anything, but just like they're not as high up on football IQ and the ability to read and react on some of those spots. I wonder if that's where they would look more to replenish with veterans and create a base that way, they're not having to guess with rokies because, like I said, when you talked about Awesome Richards and how they kept going back to a doga like, coaches are always going to go back to the veterans.
Speaker 5: Coaches are always going to come to veterans.
Speaker 9: And so if they've got somewhere where they feel like the the football IQ, the mental process and stuff like that is deficient, I think that's where you're more likely to see them dabbling free agency. So linebacker safety maybe something could.
Speaker 2: You say center there too, Because you're talking about Tyler Biadish and knowing his intensity level and knowing what they've seen.
Speaker 5: I think they I think if you.
Speaker 9: Ask some people around here, I think they would say that they think Brock Hoffman could start at center in the NFL.
Speaker 5: I don't know that they say, well, I don't know if they they've got an edge to.
Speaker 3: Him to the edge. I don't know that they both do.
Speaker 9: I don't know that they would say, like, this is our long term solution. But if that's a like they would, I think they feel comfortable that as a contingency is like, hey, if we get wiped out, we can roll with this. I mean they were I think if Zach Martin had held out like brock Coffin was starting to guard to begin the year last year, and so they I think they really do believe in him, and he's somebody who could be part of their contingency.
Speaker 5: Plan at center.
Speaker 7: I get that if we're talking about free agency, I would definitely be looking at what veteran defensive tackle you could get in free agency. And I only say that because love me some Hakis to Infinity Infinity. However, when he's gotten injured, it's mattered for this team, and unfortunately it's happened at like key times. So when he's come back, like I felt like he looked almost the same, but it's made a difference. But you also didn't get much from your rotation, and we're talking about linebacker bebe they getting climbed on consistently for a reason.
Speaker 6: And so to me, you know, obviously we're on MASI watch and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I think also too, you need proven talent there to move forward and kind of stabilize the middle of your defense because a lot of this jumping out of gaps and compensating a lot of that to me was because of the middle of that defense not being short up. So that's where I would be looking if I were, you know, important like that, to be looking for how to go.
Speaker 6: Forward and improve this team. And outside of the draft.
Speaker 8: Those are two spots linebacker and defensive town that have some good names.
Speaker 3: Can I intererstand anybody in a veteran running back for three million dollars?
Speaker 8: It sounds good, I mean, because I think we've talked a little bit about this draft class.
Speaker 3: At running back and there's certainly.
Speaker 8: Some guys that we like and that'll probably go maybe pair third draft with a pair I think. So I don't know that there's a running back like we looked at last year with the Bejon Rominson, Jamiir Gibs, like I can hand my backfield over to this guy and be good to go.
Speaker 2: Even Jamiir Gibbs was a twelfth overall Picker's still paired him with with my gun that worked out.
Speaker 8: Like Jalen Right from Tennessee, I'm a big fan of. I mean, there's Ray Davis from Kentucky's right now in the senior ball. I think there's definitely options. I mean, if you wanted to go with the Jonathan Brooks, Trey Benson from Florida State. But I think all these guys could benefit from a veteran which shrine Bowl veteran people here? What are Louisville running back look like? Isaac Grito?
Speaker 3: I saw?
Speaker 8: Grido is a great little undersize right.
Speaker 3: I had him at six one.
Speaker 6: He's that big big on the field.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's that's the measurements I was working on. I'll tell you what, man, he's a transfer from Wisconsin. Kind of hate when I can't pronounce these kids' names the right way?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 3: Garin does it right? I'm looking, But but man, there's nothing.
Speaker 4: I mean, you watch him play against USC and you watch him play against Miami Boston College of Kentucky.
Speaker 3: This guy is a kind of.
Speaker 4: A versatile player and he could. You could throw it to him, he can run it. You have to get bodies to him. I mean, he is a zone runner when it comes to press the hole and then go. And I was really really interesting. I know, Bobby, we were talking about some names last night of people that might be. But this guy is a finisher. He's a he was a from Louisville. He number twenty three and uh, he's going to get north and south quick. I love his toughness. I love his ability to catch the football, and I love the traits about him for that because he's the downhill guy, so that he might fit into that that third fourth round type of a back for somebody. But I didn't know if he if he did anything for you gain.
Speaker 7: No, he stood out to me. He stood out to me as a receiver. Yes, that's that's where I noticed him. It's like, Okay, this dude can run some routes. And I liked his Uh, his hands were soft. He was definitely very explosive when he has the ball in his hands to the point he can get in the open field and make plays and make people.
Speaker 6: Take bad angles.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 7: I noticed him yesterday. Yeah, And I mean because they used he was.
Speaker 3: Short to you, though in my life I thought he was middle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I swear, I promise you.
Speaker 7: Like when I saw him, I was like ook at the measurements, though, I say he's a bigger human than that's the the.
Speaker 3: Numbers they had on him was six one two twenty five and yeah, that's what they had but.
Speaker 2: Had him at six foot at Wisconsin. But yeah, I think that's exactly what they had him at Louisville. So that's probably gonna go down though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's probably more foot five eleven. Like to say he's wide, though it sounds like he's filled out stocky.
Speaker 4: You watch him run, I mean he is super productive when you know he gets the opportunity to carry I mean he carries the ball with some power to his games, so kind of takes him a second to get going. But once he's going, boom, he's two and three.
Speaker 16: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our second break. When we come back, I want to hear who's the best you've watched this week? It could be Shrine Bowl in person, it could be Senior Bowl, it could be just general film, general tape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give it all to me. When we come back with more of the draft show right after this.
Speaker 16: All right, Drew Pearson, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw a heell Mary, go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure.
Speaker 9: At Laser Care Eye Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients.
Speaker 16: Check them out at dfwis dot com.
Speaker 3: Tell them Drew sent you hood.
Speaker 12: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Nautilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 3: The press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped, flapped. He'll run for a purs down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself. Run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 14: Hi, I'm Danny mcraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie Bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King. The official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft shows.
Speaker 3: Back here on the Draft Show.
Speaker 2: The ninety ninth annual East West Shrine Bowl will feature one hundred and thirty of the nation's top NFL Draft prospects Thursday, February first, at the Star in Frisco. Tickets as low as twenty dollars are available at Shrine Bowl dot Com. Proceeds benefit Shriners Children's So plenty of time for you and buy plenty of time.
Speaker 3: I mean you've got like forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: Get your tickets. Come on now, get there Shrine Bowl dot Com. We'll be out there Thursday night. That'll be a lot of fun getting to finally see the game, get to see it in person inside the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. All right, Final segment Zach Wilchuck, Bobby Belt, Brian brought us, Ayisha Morrison up, Kyle Yeomans, who's the best You've watched this week? And I usual you've been out in the in the Ford Center watching Shrine Bowl practice. We're gonna start with you who you see.
Speaker 7: I think one of the best players, consistent players I've seen this week is Mason McCormick, guard out of South Dakota State.
Speaker 6: He's six ' five. Lord, he's three ten, three fifteen. I don't know who lines.
Speaker 7: Somebody line And I was just so interested in how versatile he was, because you know, in these practices they move guys from right guard, left guard, center. They want to see if you can do ao. Dude, he played all these spots and looks sturdy. He also too, he can fly to the second level. He climb really well. He has great foot quickness for his size, and he also too, he times his anchor really well.
Speaker 6: To me is when he you know, he dropped that ass. That ass, y'all.
Speaker 7: He definitely puts a lot of stress on these defensive ends, but also too, when he clamps on you, you're pretty done. The balance is there for him, and the hand placement is consistently really strong with him.
Speaker 6: I mean he's wrestling. He was wrestling. If you look at some of some of the film from the one on ones. Just aware as well.
Speaker 7: I thought he had a really good week and I think people are going to be looking at him, especially since we talked about offensive line versatility matters.
Speaker 6: But hey, he's versatile and he's shown he can do it.
Speaker 7: He can do it, and he also played the multiple positions in college as well, so he stood out to me a lot this week.
Speaker 3: I like Christian Mahogany, the gard from Boston.
Speaker 8: Gli dude, I'm on an old line kick man, you know me. I like my big ugly in the trenches man. But this guy has played both shides, left and right guard, so you know you can go ahead and switch him if you need to. But he fires off the ball in the run game. He plays with aggression and when you watch him poll this guy is violent off the edge. And you watched him at Florida State and he ended up getting some reps one v one against Verse, especially where he gets pulled and Jared Verse was like, uh please, no, I don't want anything to do with you, sir.
Speaker 3: And I love Jared Verse. I think he might be my number two edge in this class.
Speaker 8: But he's got long arms, not the quickest lateral movement, but he's a guy that can get to the second level nasty in the run game, uses arm extension well to keep defenders off of him. In pass pro He's another guy. Not a good bass to him, but I love the way once he gets latched onto, He's got a firm anchor. He's very, very difficult to get off. Can win in a phone booth, finish his blocks. Love his play temperament. I think that's a kid that's made himself some money here over the weekend at.
Speaker 6: The East Restaurant ball would you got, Briy, I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna go for a player that I just scouted this week and I'm trying to decide the broadest. Boys are split. My son think this guy's Calvin Ridley. I think this guy's Jordan Addison. It's Xavier Worthy, the wide receiver from the University of Texas. Hey, let's go, and Bennett says he's Calvin Ridley. He says he's a plus route runner with breakout speed. I like what my son's saying there. But he plays outstanding in all areas. He's a big time receiver. He's a big time punt returner. He'll wow you with his ability to play in space. He can easily make the first man miss no problem. He's a natural playmaker. At best when you get him the ball. He made one of the prettiest receptions I've ever seen in the Alabama game over Arnold the corner there that we really really like.
Speaker 3: This goes right.
Speaker 4: I mean he tracked the ball. This guy could beat you in numerous ways. He runs slants, he hits you with the deep ball. He's a fluid athlete. He's got elite explosiveness and speed. So if you're looking at wide receivers and you think you might see the Jordan Addison who was a USC last year and the Minnesota Vikings took, this is a very similar player to that type of guy. With the Xavier Worthy from the Texas.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting you bring up University of Texas. I've got a receiver from the University of Texas as well, San Antonio UTSAA. I've got Josh Cephis from utsa big lanky wide receiver. He's been out here at the scene at the Shrine Bowl. They have him listed at where did it just go? I just had it six foot three one and eighty five pounds, So he's got some link to him. I liked his his route running. One of the things that I didn't like on film whenever he was playing against Conference ESA and and American opponents as they made the jump.
Speaker 3: This year, he was limited in the route tree. He didn't have a whole lot going on in terms of the route tree. Turns it around.
Speaker 2: He comes out here, he's running curls, he's running, seems great, got it. But then he's got some out route to him, he's got some slants to him. He's been able to run those digs. Well, there was one rep yesterday where he ran really kind of an out and up and just got around his guy built a ton of separation.
Speaker 3: Quarterback just completely missed him. Just a terrible throw. And so I like what he's done.
Speaker 2: It's been kind of limited in terms of the courquarterback play in the Shrine Bowl specifically, I think he's got a legitimate shot to go.
Speaker 3: Let's say early day three. Yeah, got a fourth round grade on him. Yeah, I think i'd.
Speaker 2: Probably put him early fifth if just based off of it early running where I want to see what he runs in the forty and probably thinking maybe late four or fives. Not the speediest guy, but he builds separation off of separation route running, and I think that's something that works back to the football really well. Yeah, certainly a yat guy yard after catch. He can make plays in space. The one thing about him, and for his size, I was a little surprised he needs to get a little cleaner off press coverage. At the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He wins at the line of scrimmage, but not with physical it's it takes a little bit. He doesn't waste steps.
Speaker 3: Well, he'll age.
Speaker 8: He'll engage a little too much with the hand fighting, which is fine. It's like he wants to get physically, doesn't shut but it's like, no, dude, I need you to get up the field and get in your route here. I need you to quit playing pitter patter with the corner here because the corner is fine with that. I'll go ahead and disrupt the timing here. And he needs to just get up the field and go. But I love Josh receives. The one thing about him, he did run into some dw lie issues in college. I'm sure people are gonna want to check some character concerns there and you'll have conversations.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Honestly, if Dallas, let's just say Dallas is looking at him they're having him here, you can have him at the conferce and that might just you'll bring him down. You'll you'll make the trip down I thirty five. You'll have plenty of converceas all made some dumb decisions. So yeah, I think there's there's going to talk about him. I don't that's the dumbest thing you've ever done.
Speaker 3: Let's not talk about it. Do you have anybody, Bobby?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I've already, like I've been running through offensive line this week, and so I finally got around to seeing the guy we talked about early today, Sue amata Ya, And my gosh, like that that guy's going to be a star. To me, I think he's going to be a dominant player at the next level. To be honest, he's got he looks like he's belt in a lab. The problems with him right now are I think technical things that are reflected from being such a young player. He just turned twenty one about a week ago. I think, Uh, but he's got mental processing stuff. He obviously gets his pad level too high at time. At times he's he's so nasty, intense he wont to just like blow everybody off, fall it caused them over eagerness at times. I think that you know, causes him to miss it on times. But you're talking about a guy with the type of wingspan, the ability to push guys upfield, the ability when you talk about here in Dallas, when we're just looking at like guys wanting to improve the wrung game, getting up to the second level, being able to pull do some different things. I think he's got special ability to do that. And this is somebody who while there's mental processing stuff that you that you have some concerns about when you watch it, I think what you do see though, is natural instinct and feel, and so to me, I think typically whenever I've watched players in the past who have a natural feel and have natural instincts, I think that those other questions about reading and reacting things like that are fixable.
Speaker 5: They tend to get fixed. Colton Miller was like that.
Speaker 9: Colton Miller was a guy who had feel and instinct, but technique wise was a mess, and some of his processing was a mess, but it projected out because he had natural instincts.
Speaker 4: And I think you got this again, b Yu, Okay, he's uh. I think man, I watched him against Texas Texas Tech. He was much better against Tech than he was against Texas, and I think Bob against that defense, I think Bobby. I think Bobby's got him right. I think he'll need to coordinate his hands in his feet better. Yeah, that's that's something he's gonna have to work on putting himself in better pass blocking positions because he gets a little lungey and he gets top heavy, but he could be tough to deal with.
Speaker 3: Trust strength, Yeah, Yeah, he's a massive guy. Yeah, he is a massive guy.
Speaker 8: I don't get ranging out of position with him. It's but I mean he didn't allow a sack at three hundred and sixty one pass block snaps two years ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, the dude steady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot to love about this offensive line class. I love it whenever we're bringing I mean you're thinking he's a star? Is he a first round great?
Speaker 8: I think they nailed the awareness, like you can tell stunts and blitz pickups.
Speaker 3: He knows exactly where he needs to be. But there's there's.
Speaker 2: Growth too with a lot of these offensive linemen because they have the size, they have the ability, but then there's little knocks.
Speaker 3: Here and there. But they're all teachable knocks.
Speaker 2: That's what I think this offensive line class stands out for me, at least out of the ones in the past couple of years.
Speaker 3: All Right, we will be back on Thursday. What was that something happened?
Speaker 6: I'll bring this center later.
Speaker 2: You're bringing up later nice teas? Okay, Yeah, maybe Thursday. A couple of days to deliver on that. Yeah, we'll be back Thursday. More Shrine Bowl practices, more Senior Boal practices, more filmed to break down coming up at eleven Central time.
Speaker 3: Bobby was great getting you back on the show today. Yeah, thanks Bobby.
Speaker 2: We'll have Nick Harris out there as well from Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Alabama for Chris Beam in the back, Bobby Belt, Zach Wolchuck Brian brought us I yet Shamrris, and I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from the Draft show.
Speaker 3: We'll see you on Thursday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.