Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks. It is Tuesday, September thirtieth. This will not be an episode full of speculation, but rather sadness. Welcome to Amy and TJ. I don't necessarily say that in some sarcastic way. I was truly like, it's certainly shocked, but it's stung to hear that Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban were splitting after nineteen years of marriage.
Speaker 2: You know, we see their smiling faces. There have been so many interviews and pictures with them together over the years that you felt like, my god, they've made it this far. They've been together for twenty years, married for nineteen and even as recently as their nineteenth wedding anniversary on June twenty fifth, it seemed as though everything was good. And that's the thing, seemed as though no one really knows what's going on. And even though they're celebrities and they're beautiful people with lots of money and gorgeous homes and a beautiful family, they still deal with the same stuff that everyone else does. And yeah, it's sad when you see two people who were devoted to one another decide to part ways. And it may be what's best for both of them and best for their family in terms of where they were and are, who knows. But it's still sad because we all were, without even realizing it, rooting for them and maybe even comforted by them.
Speaker 1: I didn't have to think about them and root for them because they're just solid. Yeah, they're good. I don't have to wonder if they're going to make it. This isn't some new love. They got two kids in they've actually been through some tough stuff together privately and publicly. Yeah, they're solid. They're good. And every time I saw them a picture, every time we had anything to do with her, and it was just, eh, made you feel good. Oh that's hey, how y'all doing everything good? Yeah, just kicking it in Nashville. Everything's cool, like you always. That was never thought in my mind that there was trouble anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I think of them and I think of the pictures of them, they're always holding hands, They're always touching each other, like physically, you could see their connection and it seemed I mean it was I'm sure, of course genuine, but yeah, we never thought to wonder. There were never any hints or allegations or pictures of you know he's on tour a lot, she's filming movies in Fantastic series and winning awards and so.
Speaker 3: But they always just seemed good and.
Speaker 1: Supportive of each other, very publicly, if it's his red carpet, her red carpet, music or movies, and even on stage, they have declared their love in very significant ways. Look, we never ever know for sure. We're not suggesting just by a picture or anything else. But when you hear about two people who made the commitments that they made to each other, to their family, to moving to Nashville, they got two both teenage.
Speaker 3: Girls, yes, seventeen and fourteen.
Speaker 1: Two teenage girls. All these things and not really a hint of issues. And we're not supposed to I'm not saying we're supposed to be they were supposed to let us into their lives in this way, but they did let into their lives in a lot of ways. And from what we knew and from what we saw and from what we were appreciative of, Ah, they made it. They're even age appropriate, right.
Speaker 2: They're one year apart. She's fifty eight, he's fifty seven.
Speaker 1: But even in that there's a maturity or respect they have, right she's had a previous marriage. These are tested people like, oh they're good now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he went through addiction, credited Nicole for helping him through that. She's credited him with giving her a safe home to come back to after she's traveling with these movies.
Speaker 3: And you know, that's a tough life.
Speaker 2: Anyone who is in that field, and certainly in the entertainment industry knows you are oftentimes put in different places around the world from one another. You have massive temptations with other attractive people in your circles who you're either on stage with or on film with where you have romantic love scenes, and you're away from your partner.
Speaker 3: No, they went through and got through all of that.
Speaker 1: To be here. And again, we spend so much time. This doesn't feel like it's not right. A celebrity scandalist, tabloid breakup. This is a shocking, shocking breakup because of the year's in But.
Speaker 2: I do worry that it could become that. Look, I hope it doesn't. But when you have two people and by the way, neither Keith Urban nor Nicole Kidman, nor any of their publicists, managers, etc. People who represent them have said anything publicly in terms of a statement. We know that several news organizations have independently confirmed it, so it is true that they have separated, but we haven't heard anything from them, And I just hope, but I've already started to see it online. But I hope that we will let them, when they're ready, tell their story. But for everyone else to tell their story for them is usually what ends up happening, and everyone wants a bad guy and a good guy. Most people can't handle or stomach the fact that maybe two people just grew apart, maybe two people had whatever issue that didn't involve some scandal. But I do fear, because we have seen this and we have lived it, that that is what people expect and almost try to write to almost will it to happen.
Speaker 1: They're filling in blanks. They're filling in there's a huge void of official information, and everybody is talking about it and interested in it. So what we have experienced and what you'll be seeing out there is at so many places, so many outlets are looking to still get you to watch and click and be interested in a story they put out, but there's no information. So source says, this friend close to the couple says this insider says this, There is a lot of that going on. We wrote, we discussed it beforehand. I might have pounded the table when I was talking about it, like, I don't want to mention a single word here of speculation on what might have and if this, and whatever else. What we're telling you is that, yes, several whose outlets have independently confirmed that these two aren't together. That, folks, is all that we are willing to say that we know right this point.
Speaker 2: Because the tabloids are already starting to go down that path and it hasn't even been twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: So I fear.
Speaker 2: Look, I just we know we've walked down this road. No matter who you are, no matter how big of a celebrity you are.
Speaker 3: This stuff hurts. And so I actually embracing.
Speaker 2: Myself for Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban and their two daughters, for what may come next, because everyone is going to want to have a good guy and a bad guy.
Speaker 3: They're going to want a reason.
Speaker 2: That they can understand that they feel good about that's for whatever reason makes them feel safe or better than them in their own relationships. And that is what is almost certainly going to happen in the next coming hours and days of the leaks.
Speaker 1: But why, I mean, why is it everybody listening, everybody knows that relationships aren't that simple, that you have a good guy and a bad guy. Sometimes people grow apart. There's all kinds of reasons for it. But why is it that the public are so many in the public or are we just talking about the folks that yell the loudest on social media have a problem with it being just to that and accepting Why does it have to be more.
Speaker 2: White because that's not interesting, because that's not interesting, because that's not compelling, because that's not something that you would want to watch on TV or see in a movie. It's boring. So that's you know, look the j Lo ben Affleck thing. He even talked about this, that people wanted some specific thing that they could point to or say this is why, and he said, sometimes it's boring. Sometimes it isn't what tabloids want to write, and so they write something else and they fill in the blanks and they all they have to say is sources close to the couple say, insiders say, and they could be making it up. And that is the truth. Because we have read so many things about our personal lives that are completely and patently false that we know no one close to us would have ever said or told a tabloid, and yet they can continue to report it.
Speaker 3: They make it up based on a picture.
Speaker 2: Based on something that they can read into or infer, and it's simply not the truth.
Speaker 1: So they are going to and I'm sure well they are dealing with. Now. Look, a divorce for a excuse me, a split, any relationship update for a couple that's been this public, it's just a difficult time. Look, if you don't have to deal with the public scrutin of be any kind are enough, it's difficult. Even if you haven't been divorced, excuse me, together for nineteen years. You've been together for two years. A breakup hurts. They got family involved, kids involved, There's a lot here, and your heart goes out to him for what's happening. And this was again we go back to he was raised in Australia but born in New Zealand. But wait, we look at him. I see just I forgot he was down.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot because you just think of how he sings his country music.
Speaker 1: He's a country music star. Of course he's from Nashville or Texas or wherever from the south, but that is the case. They did meet, was it good a USA?
Speaker 3: Good a USA galap from It's.
Speaker 1: Called the Australian American Association that I hadn't heard of, but yes, it is what it sounds like, this large nonprofit that promotes relationship between the US and Australians. They attended. Obviously that two of.
Speaker 3: The biggest stars from Australia here.
Speaker 1: They met there and Sparks flew.
Speaker 2: I suppose yeah, pretty quickly too, they were they started dating, they were engaged I guess around a year later, and married a month after that. So they actually officially got married I believe in June of two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: Correct. I guess it was June twenty fifth, because we know their anniversary June twenty fifth, two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: And nice wedding wasn't as quickly as it I guess they had it planned already. But they were engaged one month, married the next. This was a pretty big, extravagant wedding.
Speaker 3: In Sydney, Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nice. Kendall lit some historic estates, so yeah, it was a big whoope doo.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then come along and pretty two daughters, so oh seventeen and fourteen, so pretty quickly made a family out of it, and a gorgeous family, a family that walks the red carpets together, smiling and holding hands. I think that's another thing, you know, when you only get and we've talked about this so often, and we can I can talk about it personally as well, when people only see your Instagram photos, when they only see the.
Speaker 3: Pictures on the Red carpet.
Speaker 2: Of course you're smiling, of course you're putting your best foot forward. Of course you're putting the happy moments out there. And so we all get this picture, this image that other people have these perfect marriages and these perfect families and these perfect relationships, and then we're shocked when we find out that they're just like us.
Speaker 1: We say shot. And again you mentioned the Red carpet pictures. Theirs are pretty pretty good, a lot of theirs, and I if you want to start paying attention to Red carpet pictures, and I don't just do this when people break up, but if you watch people on red, how do couples interact when all the cameras and lights are on them, and when you start paying attention to things, you see how maybe the woman's head is leaning the other way, maybe there's a little hint of space between their shoulders.
Speaker 3: They're not touching, arm is.
Speaker 1: Around the other. Which direction are they interacting with each other? When you start paying attention that I have more so in the past few years to that stuff. Man, you see little signs. Okay, I see where they're were, Okay. My point is you don't see that with these two. No, it's not just smiling and hamming it up for a camera. You see kind of sometimes in some pictures, obviously not all, but an embrace, a playfulness. An intimacy is the word I would use. When they're in front of cameras, everybody's looking at us, we're still into each other.
Speaker 2: I love that there's an intimacy and an authenticy I can't talk authenticity, thank you that.
Speaker 3: I think you can't fake. I mean maybe some people can.
Speaker 2: Granted, this is an actor and a performer, so you know that's silly that I just said that. But I do think in those moments when the cameras are flashing and people are calling your names, I don't know, and you look back, because of course now everyone's going back through those photos, probably for the reasons you just mentioned. Look at a sign, yes, but if you look, you know, just as early as this past spring or last year, and even the interviews that they gave in the last year of their relationship, they weren't just saying nice things.
Speaker 3: They were gushing.
Speaker 2: They were saying, she is the love of my life. She is the reason why I was put on this earth to love her very very like he's my soulmate, like things like that. So yes, of course we all that that is why it's so shocking. But I would argue that you can feel like feelings do change and circumstances do impact. So you could have meant it when you've said it, but a month later you might not.
Speaker 3: Mean it again. You know, that's the reality.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people listening to us in the cynical like of course they were just putting on And I hate to be that kind of dismissive. And it's fine if other folks want to. I just you gotta believe in something, and this relationship, at least that we have seen in the past twenty years, I find if I fell for it, I don't think I did, and I absolutely believed in it and looked up to it to a certain degree.
Speaker 2: And so I think that's why people are looking for something dramatic, must have happened. And I think that's where the speculation and the rumors begin, because they think, if they were so solid, the only thing that could have happened is something dramatic, something specific, and it had to be one of them who did it. And that is exactly where people go.
Speaker 1: We have lived enough life to know that's not how.
Speaker 3: It is complicated. It is complex. It was most likely years in the making.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, what was the I can't remember another one, but al Gore tip was it forty years? They were Rember.
Speaker 2: I never believed that kiss. Oh that kiss was ridiculous, say.
Speaker 1: Terrible example, because that was the first image that came to your mind.
Speaker 3: That's a fake kiss.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that was him al Gore. But yes, he even kisses stiffly, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, or it wasn't received with warmth either.
Speaker 1: Way, Come on you anyway. My point means that was another shakra of people who had been through so much in life, it seemed, and now all of a sudden we decided we don't want to be together, that's okay. There was a lot of discussion about relationships after that one. It's okay to start over, to think you have another shot or be with another campaign. Why do I have to stay here? If this is what life is? I think that. Can you remember another like a huge celebrity couple been together.
Speaker 2: A decade Hugh Jackman and his wife. That was a big chakra. I think they were twenty years and that was recent as well. And he has been dealing with bad press and publicity with his current relationship with Sutton Foster, so he's been dealing with that heat. But that was shocking to a lot of folks. But his wife wasn't I shouldn't say famous, but she wasn't in the same celebrity status as him. So that's why I don't think it rose to the level when you have two mega celebrities like j Lo and Ben Affleck or yes, Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, you're going to get a lot more scrutiny.
Speaker 1: Dude, if you tell me Eva that's something between Goldie Hawn and.
Speaker 3: Kurt Russell, although they don't have to get divorced.
Speaker 1: Divorced, but if if these two go there separate, I'm done.
Speaker 3: That would gut me, like actually gut me.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we're not putting that out there or any suggestion of that. But that's just another couple we look at that's been together for a long long time and seem to have figured something out about making it work. I was just I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I should have Filt Smith and Jada pickin Smith too. That was a big one. I mean, there's rumors around it for a while, but it was still and we still I don't even know what their relationship status is right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's my point that was, it's not muddy the waters here. We'll stay with us here, folks. When we come back, we're gonna remind you these folks aren't just stars. They aren't just a movie star and a music star. These two I had to be reminded just how on top of their games that they are.
Speaker 2: And and and continuing our conversation about these shocking and sad news that Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban are officially splitting up after nineteen years of marriage. Several news organizations have confirmed their separation, although neither Star nor any of their representatives have officially made any kind of comment about it being true about what happened, about what the next steps are, but certainly it's incredibly sad to see a couple like that, a powerhouse couple who seemingly were so in love and had figured out how to make marriage last, and not just last, but actually be happy. I mean, when you look at the pictures, when you hear the interviews, recent ones, they seemed like they were still going strong. I mean as late as June twenty fifth, that was their nineteenth wedding. Animis Nicole Kidman put up a very sweet black and white photo of the two of them and alongside it said happy anniversary baby with a red heart. So you know, that was just three months ago, and CNN is reporting and another news outlet I saw competitively said they confirmed that the two have been living apart this summer, So we don't know what happened. And another question is do we get to know? Why do we feel like we have the right to know. I know we followed them, and I know we've shared along in their journey, but it doesn't mean I think we get into this trap as consumers of entertainment that somehow these people aren't human that somehow these people owe something to us, that they owe us an explanation, and having been on the receiving end of that's it's a really, really tough spot in an already difficult moment in your life. This has got to be probably one of the toughest things. And I know Nicole Kidman went through a very public, difficult divorce with Tom Cruise as well, but this is tough when you've got teenage girls who are deeply hurt by this and are probably trying to figure out what their new normal is. To have all this speculation and all this conversation, it's tough.
Speaker 3: It's so hard. I just feel for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't to that point, and a lot of celebrities get it, and there is a balance what your obligation is to your fans, to the world and sometimes I mean, we just saw Selena Gomez and Denny Blanc will do this over the weekend, yes, where they put it out, We shared it with you, and that's fine if they wanted to. If they don't want to, that's fine. But a lot of they get that my fans are curious about me in my life, and I'm going to let you in on this when it's difficult, like this, when it's now the news is negative, but now the news is bad. I'm not mad if you now want to pull back and just be private and not share this thing bandful. But I think there does you talk about an obligation people, There is not one. I think oftentimes we hear people say it what you want to share everything in the good times, and then you get mad at us for also being interested in your bad times. I get that to a certain degree, but I think also reasonable humans can say, I get why you don't want to talk about this, and it's okay. Talk to me when you feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 2: Think about it as a friend of yours or a best friend of yours, you don't want to pry and push too hard when you see someone going through something painful. In time, if they want to share it, you'll be there to hear it and to commiserate. But until then it's on them to say what they want to say, when they want to say it. But we were talking before we went to the break about just how incredible these two individuals are just in terms of their art, and you were going through Nicole Kidman's movies and forgetting some of her incredible and even if they weren't necessarily film success, it's just movies we love.
Speaker 1: I forgot about the Ricardos that was fairly reason. But she got an Oscar nomination for playing Lucil Ball, right, I totally forgot. You've forgot that was there.
Speaker 3: I did too, Like I think.
Speaker 1: The movie might necessarily not rise to the level of some classic, or it might be an afterthought, but I remember her. She was incredible the look and I that's just and again that was one that you talk about Nicole Kidman. It doesn't rise to the first one at the top of your mind, but that was a fairly recent one.
Speaker 2: That got her an Oscar, not yea, and she is an Oscar winner, by the way, for the Hours, but nominated four other times. I have recently loved her in her incredible television series Nine Perfect Strangers, Amazing, Big Little Eyes Loved, and The Undoing My God, that was good.
Speaker 3: Like all three of those.
Speaker 2: I watched every single episode on the edge of my seat, and she was amazing in.
Speaker 3: All of them.
Speaker 1: Mulin Rouge, so I know you're a big Mulin rouge on a Broadway fan, but also No, I love the movie too as well. Cole Mountain, Rabbit Hole, the others is in the Yeah, the interpreter I forgot about that. Australia was a big epic movie. Then Far and Away, So good, Eyes Wide Shut. That was that was controversial even in time, but it got a lot of attention.
Speaker 3: And Dead Calm.
Speaker 2: I was just telling you that was one of the first thriller horror movies I saw. She's so young, she's a baby. She's like twenty two in this movie. But if you've never seen Dead Calm, that's kind of a deep cut. But I'm telling you it is such a good movie.
Speaker 1: This guy, he's a four time Grammy winner, but he won I think four years in a row or something. He was the Country Music Artist of the Year, like the biggest. He was everything in music. But the number of award is that a big Ten time CMA winner, eleven time Academy of Country Music Awards winner. That's a lot of awards. Yeah, four time Grammy winner.
Speaker 3: I have never met Nicole Kidman in person, have you no?
Speaker 1: Only on video only interview your own.
Speaker 3: Video, So I've never done that.
Speaker 2: But Keith Urban used to come to GMA often and he was such a nice guy, like you know I so we actually got to meet.
Speaker 3: Him in person, just a fun kind person. Maybe you weren't there when I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember him ever. I don't remember him ever being there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and maybe it was before you got there, because I have two years on you from the studio.
Speaker 3: But yes, and so these are two seemingly.
Speaker 2: Lovely people and we are rooting for them throughout all of this. But right now, Keith Urban is on tour. So he actually has a concert set for Hershey, Pennsylvania on October second.
Speaker 3: So when is that Friday?
Speaker 2: My goodness, so I wonder you know, I'm sure everyone is is it?
Speaker 1: It's Thursday on Friday?
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, yes, we have our date. We know October second. He has he's got a concert in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Unlikely he'll address it, but I'm sure a lot of people will be waiting to see if he says anything.
Speaker 3: What's he going to do?
Speaker 1: I can say my heavy heart, thank you for supporting me today. He could say something subtle like that and move move on. And he also doesn't have to say a damn thing.
Speaker 3: He doesn't And if he cancels.
Speaker 1: The show, I would say, okay, brother, I understand that as well. If I had a ticket and he said, you know what, I need a minute, Damn that sucks. Okay, just three fund my money, brother, whatever you need to do, I would say that about him. At this moment you mentioned Nicole Hitman. I guess it was Perfect Strangers? Is that it nine Perfect Strangers? Was that during COVID?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, I believe so, yes, because I was watching it during that. It was about the microdoce.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's amazing.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why I had her own video because I talked to her and I think she was in Australia at the time. And the reason this stands out the interview didn't go that terribly long, but it was on tape. But we had a technical issue and I had to entertain, if you will, an Oscar winner and stretch while they're getting some tech issues worked out. I say, I had to entertain. She was as engaged and interested, and we talked about Arkansas and Nashville and we went around. I could not believe how warm she was not frustrated by the delay and engaged with me, not about the movie, and so that left that I will forever be a fan because of that experience, not meeting her in person, but because our circumstances forced us who spend personal time making small talk, and she was as wonderful I walked away from their bigger fan than any movie I have ever seen of her. Don't you love when you engaged?
Speaker 3: Like, Wow, they're actually cool and nice.
Speaker 2: Look, these are long days for celebrities when they have to do these junkets is what they call them, when they have to promote whatever project they've just done, and they literally have to talk to ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty different news outlets and they get exhausted and so it's maybe not the best.
Speaker 3: Version of them.
Speaker 2: So it's really cool when you have a major star like that doing the round, so to speak, and being kind and generous.
Speaker 3: That is a.
Speaker 2: Huge, huge, huge, Well it's rare sometimes, but it is so wonderful when you do get to experience that with a star like that. In fact, I know you're not big on watching TV series. You just like a movie wane and done. But if I see Nicole Kidman in something, I'm like, Nicole Kidman's in it, because I know that's a draw that maybe will make you say, all right, I'll check it out.
Speaker 1: She is just a treasure. So we hope, I mean you really do. Hearts go out to them and hope they They've dealt with plenty publicly, but this other storm is underway and probably keep going for a while. But I hope they're all right. And of course they will be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so we wish them the very best, and we want to thank you for listening to us. I'm Amy Roebuck alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.