Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: All Right, ladies and gentlemen, every story has a beginning, and you're about to hear that very very awkward. In the beginning, we shot a pilot for Quest Love Supreme with our very own Unpaid Bill when the time. Didn't know that by the time this centerview was over, he was going to join the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know the genesis of this show.
Speaker 2: I think it started with my fandom of Fonte and the Boss Bills Gordon Cartreil podcast, and then you know, Sup Steve and I always talked about joining our own podcast, and I remember the notes from our boss is saying that it might help to have a voice of a woman on the show.
Speaker 1: So Laia will have joined us, I think.
Speaker 3: By episode five.
Speaker 2: So this is episode one, the pilot episode of Quest Love Supreme never heard before with Unpaid Bill. If my memory serves me correct, I believe that Fante really knocked the ball out of the park and rare form like Fante was so good. I think that's what made Unpaid Bill want to join the show.
Speaker 3: So enjoy.
Speaker 1: This is the first time I'm hearing it with you, guys.
Speaker 3: This is the very first episode of Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 2: Hope you enjoyed, ladies and gentlemen, this is the first episode of Quest Love Supreme. To my left we have the Grand Imperial, the awesomest, the best podcast Ranter.
Speaker 3: I know, supremely talented. What's going on? What up? Fonta Up?
Speaker 2: And also we should acknowledge our resident team of Bill bring Child Johnson. He's mute right now to Michael Steve Mandel, later episodes will also offer his two cents.
Speaker 3: How you do?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you and later I said, And to my right we have our very first guest, honored mister Bill Shermon. Bill, you have a long storied history. And when the show gets more professional, then I will have your actual credits on. But being as though we made this phone call extremely last minute, Bill was my one of one of the fortunate eight producers of a small off.
Speaker 3: Broadway play called Hamilton. You might have heard of it. You might have heard it. How you doing, Bill, I'm good man. That's great. Well, we're glad to have it has an off Broadway place. I say it was a joke. Guy.
Speaker 1: I was playing in Harlem somewhere at Harlem Church.
Speaker 3: All female Okay, you know. Actually I saw.
Speaker 2: This play once in Harlem. They were redoing the Nativity scene and they happened to have I think Felicia Rashad was like the Angel and no Felicia Rashad was. I think Mary and Stephanie Mills singer Stephanie Mills was the one of the angels before the whiz. No, this is way cost me show. This is like last year. This was I'll tell you what this is when the Roots were mixing ill Adolph half Life, so this this had to have been nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 4: I like the fact that you can chronologically know what happened in your life by what Ruth record we were working on or you were working on, which I think is fantastic because I can probably see parts of my life when Ruth records came out that were important to me.
Speaker 2: Well, no dates, My memory bank is about what albums came out, Like I don't. That's how I remember dates, not like what's her name, Mary lou Henter from Taxi that has this, Like you can tell her like April fourteenth, nineteen sixty two, and she'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Exactly what happened that.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like I've tested it a few times when she's been on the Tonight Show. But I only remember based on Prince albums, Michael Jackson records, and what the roots were doing that year, that's all.
Speaker 5: So Yeah, I remember Iladelf. That was I skipped school to buy Iladelf. But I remember I I.
Speaker 3: Mean you a juvenile, that was Hladelf.
Speaker 5: That was one of the two albums that I broke the law, well, other than the records I stole still in that you know whatever. But like one of the first record I can remember breaking the law for was Goodie Mob Soul Food.
Speaker 3: I drove to the mall on a learner's permit to buy that album from the mall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like yeah, you know what I mean, Like I mean, I drove to the ball the several So then on on Ill Depth Half Life, I remember the record came out and I was a junior in high school. My homies were seniors and at the time, you know, juniors only upper classes would go off campus for lunch. And so one of my boys, like Yo, were going to the record Change you get their roots joint.
Speaker 3: I said, I'm riding with y'all.
Speaker 5: Fuck that, let's go, And so I went and I didn't go back to school that next day.
Speaker 3: I think I showed I went back for like football practice or something. But that was it. I was. I was a truant for wow, I'm it. Yeah, man, I had to have it.
Speaker 4: Have you You could skip school and then go back to play football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could because the coaches, like, you know it was they needed to help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's cool. Did you have you ever committed a musical crime that nature to buy a record? No?
Speaker 4: I skipped school a couple of times, for sure, as we all did. I didn't skip school to buy a record. Really, I'm trying to remember. No, I didn't. I mean, I've committed many musical crimes in the name of music, for sure. But that's like a whole different story altogether.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I don't know if I should share this story or not.
Speaker 3: Yes, you should. I think that definitely. That's the whole purpose of the ship. I definitely think you share it. All right, So the worst whipping I ever got in my life was over nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Close the time the Times first record.
Speaker 2: What I have just set it up for you because basically, all right, so there's a song called after high School that's on the Time's first album, and.
Speaker 1: You know, it was one of those moments at performing arts.
Speaker 2: Now, I went to the private performing arts from first grade to seventh grade.
Speaker 1: And so you know, it's in the early eighties. So yes, it was very much close.
Speaker 2: To what life was like on that on Fame, like people would break breakout and song breakout and.
Speaker 1: Dance full scale production.
Speaker 2: Yeah seriously, So someone had it was one of those cliched moments.
Speaker 1: Someone had a big giant boombox and.
Speaker 2: Put the Time cassette in and put it after high School on and then we were all doing that Eddie Murphy, this is how white people dance dance, you know, the Carlton right like, and it was a happy moment.
Speaker 1: And then I unfortunately danced a little too close.
Speaker 2: To the boom box and caused it to fall on the ground, Like I ruined that moment.
Speaker 1: To think of that rerun Doobie Brothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shadows, I know a lot of references, a lot of you won't get, but just just.
Speaker 3: Google it, kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like we should have like some kind of like annotations like okay, so Al Dunbard the Doobie Brothers episode of What's Happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was the bootlegger. So so we.
Speaker 5: Have to add say, okay, so it was the time Rerun went to re won't wanted tickets to a Dowie Brothers concert at their high school.
Speaker 3: And you know what I'm saying, And like he was he was the fact.
Speaker 5: He was, you know, the fat kid that had the like the day he could hide the tape players.
Speaker 3: So he was like the original napster of like nineteen seventy five. So like, so he goes.
Speaker 2: And tries to take the ship and this episode, no, oh my god, man nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: I was born in seventy eight.
Speaker 5: I was right right behind youself, but nah, I Roba used to watch this every day. So your man that played Al Dunball was also the black guy. Theodore Wilson who also played He was also carried on Good Times. I can't remember which one he was on Good Time. He wasn't He wasn't Lynna. Yeah, the name is Lynna.
Speaker 3: He wasn't him. He was like another guy.
Speaker 1: He was like, I get him and what's his name? Mixed up?
Speaker 5: How from Hal Williams. Hall Williams was, Who's Lester Jenkins? It's oh, what is we going down? The black rabbit hole.
Speaker 3: It's not even minute.
Speaker 5: Dunbar coerces rerun to take this this uh this this this this deeper rob show with Michael McDonald there in his full beard and uh he jump up and the tape player falls out, and so he gets caught like you know, the Dowbie brothers see him, like, dude, we thought you was our friends.
Speaker 3: How could you boot like I should.
Speaker 2: He's paraphrasing it, but it was amazing, like, first of all, brothers do this show with a gong, it's on fire and everything they doing, taking into the streets and then reruns dancing his ass off, and then all of a sudden, the tape player just falls to the.
Speaker 3: Floor and the show stopped.
Speaker 5: Someone notices it, one of the brothers noticed, and then the Doobie brothers just look at him like it's it's one of those like silent to be continued.
Speaker 3: It's like it was like a very special episode, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And so so yeah, so they find so they got they hook up and they go to Shirley's place and they arrest al Dunbar and that was how was Yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was brought to his resolution.
Speaker 2: Mine wasn't that dramatic, but basically to avoid the school bully from beat me up because I destroyed his his radio shack tape player. I just thought, well, maybe I'll just you know, swipe some money from.
Speaker 3: Home and I'll replace.
Speaker 2: Right, There's nothing like being caught in a black household with a black father.
Speaker 3: That's real.
Speaker 1: It really got.
Speaker 3: No, it's even shut off. No, it's real.
Speaker 5: It's real because it's just like I don't know what I think with black fathers.
Speaker 3: Man, Like it's just like we was. We were just before we started taping.
Speaker 5: We was talking about your your nephews, right like Bill, his nephews is going through some stuff, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And so he was like, my go to go straighten them out?
Speaker 5: And Bill Sherman was like, man, they could kind of straighten you out because they Oh. And the things I don't understand about black men, I think once you get to a certain age, you're just not defeating us.
Speaker 3: Because it's like when I'm twenty years old and I would like fight.
Speaker 5: I would just hit you with my fist, but like at like thirty seven, forty fifty, I'm hitting you with every disappointment I've ever had in life, Like I'm hitting you with Vietnam.
Speaker 3: I'm hitting you.
Speaker 5: I'm hitting you with my failt first marriage, I'm hitting you with every job application that got denied. So for you to steal from a black dad when you came up like back in the day, like oh, man.
Speaker 2: Dude, all in the name of Briyan of repairing his tape player and maybe possibly buying that time except for myself, oh woking up at two in the morning. Oh, I canna laugh at it now, but it was quite the opposite. Yeah, So that that was the worst crime. Well, I mean I went through a lot in the early eighties to listen to music like I'll share more of that later.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Bill, let's talk about your life from black Fithers to me. Fucking you going through a divorce right now?
Speaker 5: So you probably got a lot more in common with black fathers than you realize.
Speaker 3: Are you about to in a little bit true? True?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Is that the reason for the hair changed? No?
Speaker 4: No, the reason this comes up a mere And I made the Hamild's record, and I had really long hair and looked like a like a like cool, like a hobo a cool.
Speaker 2: Hope you look hipsterisk okay of the eight producers of Hamilton. I thought, okay, I have a lot of in comn with this guy, like everyone else is a suit that's true.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, So I cut it all off because it was getting long and I didn't I want to look like a hobo anymore. And then and then I saw a mirror to think and I said, yoh man, what's up? And he didn't recognize me all at all, hilariot.
Speaker 2: We were taking a photo with the Hamilton gold record and he was staying next to me.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, no autographs now, no selfish my head, like, dude, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I didn't recognize you, Bill, Sorry.
Speaker 3: It was pretty great.
Speaker 2: So actually this isn't your first Grammy, Like what is in the Heights your first for rate into professional producing, or like what's your history with with that stuff?
Speaker 3: With music?
Speaker 1: Start from the beginning.
Speaker 4: I grew up playing the saxophone. I was really into jazz as like a Dexter Gordon Coltrane, Hank Mobley fanatic.
Speaker 3: Who was a kid. How old?
Speaker 4: Uh thirteen through twenty two?
Speaker 3: Okay, do you still play sax now?
Speaker 4: Every once in a while, I played to the other day for my kids. And I couldn't understand that that's something I did. It was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: I'm a little traumatizing myself. I'm like, why didn't you tell me this? I don't know, it never came up. Why would it.
Speaker 3: Do you play instruments? I mean I can play the.
Speaker 2: Piano, Okay, Well, I was making light of the fact that you didn't share with.
Speaker 4: And I and the kazoo, and yeah, so I played the saxophone. I went to college. I went to Wesley and University in Connecticut. I studied jazz for a while, and then I got into world music. I was really into West Africa and got drumming. That was my thing for a while. I went to Ghana first semester I studied, and I played. I played with a bunch of fale As guys while I was there in Ghana who had come from Nigeria. This is also a discussion we've never had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like it did.
Speaker 4: And in addition to all the other ship that you know about me, this you might not.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: I met Lynn Manuel Miranda in my junior.
Speaker 3: Year of college.
Speaker 4: And the great story with that, which I tell all the time, is his girlfriend at the time was producing this musical that I was music directing, but I wasn't really into musicals.
Speaker 3: But that's not the point.
Speaker 4: And Lynn said, uh, he came up to me afterwards and he said, you don't know me and I don't know you, but we're gonna work together for really long time.
Speaker 2: Did you think it was just a random crazy person totally? I was like, okay, whatever, smart guy.
Speaker 3: So we we we did.
Speaker 4: We worked on his senior thesis and some other ship and whatever, and then we graduated and then we were gonna put on in Heights. We put on In the Heights. That was my first musical. I never had a big background of musicals. I just like music a whole lot. And then I arranged orchestrated with Alex Lackmore in Heights and then we won a Tony and a Grammy and all that stuff. And then from there, I also play in this group called Freestyle of the pre which is a hip hop improvay which has you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: He's making up, he's making this.
Speaker 4: Follow Yes, this is all made up. This is my life story, but it's all fictitious.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, do you know what you guys don't know at all? Steve, are you back checking you? Guys? We speak a bullshit. It's probably what you would you would, you guys, don't.
Speaker 2: I've known Steven Mandel, our engineer, for near twenty years, and anytime there's a pie of f moment for me, he's there, his smirk, He's totally enjoying the fact that I literally am believing everywhere you're saying right.
Speaker 3: Now, huh, okay, you should it's true. Okay style style.
Speaker 4: What you know about this because you were supposed to come to one of our gigs a long time ago when we first met. It's we get suggestions from the audience and we make up hip hop tunes and Lynn's in it, and Chris Jackson's in it, and I play keyboards, and there's beat boxer and we do all this thing right, you know, not real. It's not real, but you should see it. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: But the thing is is that Da Vid was on the Tonight Show. No, but David was on the Tonight Show speaking of hip hop improvisational group that he was a part of with the same people.
Speaker 3: You just mentioned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: That's the first real thing.
Speaker 2: Everything up to now has been alive a little bit. That's real. It's all real, all right.
Speaker 3: So what was the.
Speaker 1: Concept of the the hip hop Improvisational.
Speaker 4: Week GETSU justificy on. So it's like they do a thing called person placer sing. It's like get a person, one guy gets person, one guy gets placed, one guy gets a singer, and then we just make up hip hop tunes about that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so musical version of whose line is?
Speaker 4: And it's a hip hop version who's lining it anyway? Essentially, but all the music's made up to it's all What was the period of this It's it's ongoing. But like when we graduated from college in two thousand and two, we toured a lot and went around to play a lot of the comedy festivals.
Speaker 3: This is Wesleyan. It's post Wesleyan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a lot of the guys are from wesley.
Speaker 5: So like, how I guess my question because I just think musicals, I mean, they fascinate me, you know what I mean, Like I'm not I'm never was a person that was really big into them, but I my the craft that goes into them and just you know, having to tell a story through song, like that's that's just a lot of fucking words.
Speaker 3: As a writer, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So, like, how do you go from just a saxophone player to writing musicals? Like how was it something you kind of fell into or was it like how did you find your groove in that?
Speaker 3: Not on purpose? Uh?
Speaker 4: I lived on Long Island as a kid. My parents would bring me to see musicals like every once in a while. But it wasn't something I was drawn to, Like I'm not the genre specifically is not wasn't a thing that I was into. And I met Lynn and he and we.
Speaker 3: Just did this.
Speaker 4: We did these shows of his because I just liked the music and in the heights was all like Latin music and hip hop and stuff like that and stuff I know, and and then it just kind of like if you asked me what I wanted to do when I was eighteen, it wasn't I want to write musical. That was probably not even anywhere on my brain. I mean, I just like, I just like music, and this was one of the things that I do. And then it sort of spawned all these other things, which is you know, similar to you. It's like you do this thing and does all these other things. You write cookbooks, you know that kind of shit. And then uh so is the is the cook book out? Is it not a cook It's not a cookbook. It's not a cookbook at all. I've read it. It's cover to cover twice. That's bullshit, Steve, don't it's an EXPOA Steve, you're the official judge of You're right, yeah, a ref, Steve, A ref.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So when the idea of Hamilton was presented to you, at what point do you enter the foray as far as the the genesis at least?
Speaker 4: Like well, I probably entered Hamilton the same time you did, because I didn't work on Hamilton the show. I worked on Hamilton the record. We probably got the call at the same time I worked on In the Heights the show. I arranged orch Stray the music for that. But I did not work on Hamilton the show. I just made the record, So probably we got the call.
Speaker 2: So when it was presented to you, did you instantly feel like, oh, I'm instantly getting my second you know, Tony and my second Grammy.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, you know, it's funny. It should totally be a thing, I you know, to be totally honest, I saw an early reading of Hamilton, and I was like, I thought to myself, there's no way that like my Jewish grandmother or anyone's Jewish grandmother is gonna pick it up to be able to take it all in. And I watched it, and I was like, it's like lyrically, it's just profound, and so you just sort of wow, and and then then and then it from that moment on, it just gained steam over and over and over, and I just sort of watched it become this thing. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't think that it was going to have the impact that has. Of course, you could say that about anything that's really impactful in the world, but I was I didn't think people would get it or could follow it.
Speaker 2: But I was wrong, and you knew what it was at the time when it was presented to you, because the thing was, I don't know. I believe that if it were properly or thoroughly explain to me what it was, I would have probably made a few excuses to not because it was just like, Okay, there's going to be a hip hop play about the Founding Fathers and the Constitution.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not on paper. That's not a very premise at all, especially.
Speaker 2: In the light of the the sort of can't miss Tupac on Broadway play.
Speaker 4: Happened, like yes, Williams, Chris Jackson is right, yes.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, yeah, it happened, and then it went away in three weeks and so.
Speaker 4: But that was like a jukebox musical in the same way Jersey Boys is.
Speaker 3: So that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Like to me, nothing was going to top failure, and I was just like, Okay, that's a lightning in a bottle moment, which I mean was rather bittersweet working on it. But it's just that it took two of the most cynical people I knew to run to me and be like, yo, you really need to see this now, Like Tarik Black thought of the roots. Tarik and my manager Sean g are excited about not much. I mean, even if something is real dope, be like, yeah, that's cool, it's all right. But they were like, you gotta see this. And even then they didn't tell me it was a hip hop. I didn't know what to expects. I just sat there and notice that this was the longest song in history, Like it's.
Speaker 1: A play with no dialogue in it, all of what like ten lines.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying like, how in the world did like, did you even think that this would hit jack pot or well.
Speaker 4: Lin Lynn's been my very close friend for a very long period of time. And he called me while he was reading that book, the Hamilton Book, which I tried to read but only got through about one hundred pages.
Speaker 2: To be honest, for those for those that don't know, the whole genesis of it all was once in the Heights Mania ended.
Speaker 3: Uh le Manuel went on.
Speaker 2: Vacation with his wife and decided, I'm going to take a book with me for summer reading, and takes the nine hundred biggest book.
Speaker 1: It's like the you know, the family Bible that's in every ye those.
Speaker 2: Yes, wait, I'm not the only one, hey man. Every black family keeps the birth certificates and.
Speaker 3: Keep it close. You gotta keep it close to Jesus. We love Jesus.
Speaker 5: And I'm in the South too, so I mean, you know, we really love Jesus. So dog, I really thought that was just a Thompson the household thing. Oh no, brother, But I mean, but your people like you, Philly, but I mean your people from.
Speaker 1: The South, Okay, but that is my family's from North Carolina.
Speaker 3: There is that is wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, Lin took this near Black Family Bible on vacation with him and uh and somehow got the inspira it was.
Speaker 3: According to him, he couldn't put it down.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the difference. I got past the index. Maybe I got past the index. So I don't know, but uh, like how though, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean he he Lynn has always been like a sponge for all kinds of things, like pop culture things. He reads all of like the People magazine, the E W magazines weekly, and he just and and he's always reading and learning and watching and whatever. And I don't know who who knows, you know, I mean like when you when you know you're about to write a tune and you know it's gonna be the ship versus, just like some other song. He just knew he had something. But you know, the interesting thing was he uh, he googled it because he thought that someone already had this idea. There's no way that this stor hasn't been told in something. And he googled it and nothing came up. And so I suppose he called his agent and there it was, and here we are.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's amazing how did you get started on Sesame Street? I?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: After in the Heights, I was the music director of the Electric Company, the reboot of The Electric Company, I.
Speaker 3: See, and uh did you?
Speaker 2: Did you have immediate fantasies of rebooting it like the original seventies show, which I feel is another stoner Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also just had immediate fantasies of holy shit, I have a job.
Speaker 3: That was That was the immediate fancy fantasy.
Speaker 1: The new Electric Company isn't necessarily.
Speaker 3: Like no, It's totally not. It's totally not.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you verify that, because I feel like Steve is like, are you really going to start?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't seen it because.
Speaker 4: You're The old Electric Company was just more I think of the stoner TV you're talking about, but I think the newer one was like super sleek, super Now someone's like three to one contact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's go back to special. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I gotta say that one of the best experiences of my life was meaning that cast when they came here for the first time at the to the Tonight Show and how cool they were. Again, was this like a oh, I just have a job thing or initially that wear off after man, you know, so you weren't impressed to the fact that here's Bob and Maria and I was.
Speaker 4: I was more impressed with the puppets because they were more part of my generation of growing up.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you something? You can this is your show? Are they right? What? Okay? Not right? That means.
Speaker 2: If I were to askte are they right?
Speaker 5: You would know what I'm I mean all the puppets right, or all the people that the puppeteers right.
Speaker 2: I've seen them many a times when the camera's not on, still in character.
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Now is that just so that they can execute a good job, because even when it's long, even when the shoot is done, they're still talking to me.
Speaker 3: It's like method acting to the hundred power.
Speaker 4: But I think the thing about to me, the thing about the puppeteers is like, there's like twenty five people in the world that do what they do, and so it's this small sect of people that just this is their life and this is their thing, and and and and in the same way it was for Jim Henson, it was just like this is this is this is what it is.
Speaker 1: But you're telling me that Jim Henson twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Was like, well, I don't know. I've never met Jim Henson, I don't know that.
Speaker 4: But but with these people it's just it's it's it's who they are. It's like just such a in the same way that the puppets sort of like an extension of their hand, the voice is sort of an extension of the way they talk, and so they just particularly I mean, it happens more so with particular people who are just more whatever. And who plays Zoe on the show, Zoe Jen Barn you're talking about Abby?
Speaker 3: Is that? Aha? Lebie Leslie?
Speaker 2: Leslie, She's great, I'm sure right now she's talking and Abby's. The other thing about it is her actual voice and Abby's voice are very similar, so so that might have something to do with it. But like the guy who plays Elmo doesn't talk like Elmo most of the time. He talks like you know, another person, a real person, Red Flax.
Speaker 3: Right, they're all nuts, I'm sure, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, in the same way whoever would come in here and fill this be Like, those guys are fucking nuts too.
Speaker 3: It just depends. I'll show you. Yeah, I'm sure they would.
Speaker 5: I read I read something you did an NPR interview and Uh. I read you saying, uh sometimes the quote was sometimes composers think that because the session stout have to dumb it down. But these day children have unbelievably sophisticated ears.
Speaker 3: I think them and down is disrespectful to kids.
Speaker 5: And uh, I don't know what what you thought about that, Like do you think why do you think kids today are more their ears are more sophisticated, or do you think they are more or less sophisticated than the kids back from the Joe ropostal Ara era where you had like Porner sisters and you know, Stevie and all that kind of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: Asked me to quote my quote.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, quote on your quote.
Speaker 3: Did a little research. I think google me, he told me Google. I was reading up on you.
Speaker 1: You'll here like what you've done the interviews before.
Speaker 2: You know, man, just because you called yesterday and some HU canceled and I don't even nobody I feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm totally there. I want to be away. I want to stay. I will well.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've written for Sesame Street.
Speaker 3: I I the way I look at.
Speaker 4: It is like if my my daughters come downstairs and they hear what I'm writing and they don't like it. It means it's not good. My kids listen to like Top forty radio. They're not into kids music, and they're into into hooks and catchiness and things that make today's pop music as good as it is. And that's just what kid's ears are open to now. And so like when I ask people to write for Sesame Street, which is something you didn't did not do, is is they often like will go to vaudeville like the first thing because to people, to the general world, like Tesame Street is liked or like some two beat shit and and and these days it's not like kids get turned off by that just as much as anybody else does. And I think that if you can write music that appeals to everybody, kid, parent, you, whomever, I think that that's that's kind of the thing that I try to push for. That being said, sometimes we you should talk about this because because I feel like at least the tune that that you wrote was this weird sort of conglomertion of music that totally worked and was like would be considered by the general ear to be Sesame Street and something that for hell would put on his next record or whatever it is. It's like this weird and that's what that's kind of what I try to do every day.
Speaker 2: It was adventurous enough to actually want to sing something that weird, or it would be right up Sally. But I'll tell you something, I don't know if singing dumb it down is necessarily a valid thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I'm going through a phase right now in which I really respect pop music, simple music. And I don't know if it's the light of and light of Prince's passing or whatever it is, but I have the utmost respect for anyone that can write the most simplest song ever and it sticks.
Speaker 3: And that's one thing I'm learning to do.
Speaker 2: Like twenty years ago, you couldn't have told me what a melody was, Like, Oh, the melody is what you play with your right hand, you know.
Speaker 3: I was. I was. I more or less came from a vibe place.
Speaker 2: My music felt vibe like it puts you in a place where it's like a relaxed place, or I guess people we'll call it like.
Speaker 3: Sunday house cleaning music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it really wasn't until five years ago that I realized, like, I don't know how to write a pop song, and now working at Fallon, where you're constantly told to write these seven second jingles, Now I'm more aware, like, oh, we got to write an impactful song in seven seconds. So I kind of I respect that the art more so. I don't think that.
Speaker 5: Has influenced your recording anyway, like you work with Roots.
Speaker 2: This next Roots album I believe will be our most focused album as okay as a as a music fan, I feel like the way that I feel about earth Wood and Fire, and the way I feel about Stevie Wonder, the way I felt about Prince as a music fan, and I'm always like dog, all they have to do is get the same microphones, the same sound mixing, boartant, the same instruments. So you know, I know a lot of people will say like, well, you're too close to your creation, so you can't. I know that no artists can ever go one linear all the time, that they have to circle back and start all over again. So I think the music fan of me knows that we have to go back to step.
Speaker 1: One again, gotcha.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go back to ninety four.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to go back to ninety This album is going to be very close to ninety six ninety nine. This will be the Hladelph Things Fall Apart album that I think a lot of our early fan BASI has been waiting for.
Speaker 1: It's break beat heavy.
Speaker 2: But having wrote for the show so much, I can't ignore the education that I've gotten being a DJ and being a songwriter on the show, which is I'm instantly thinking, Okay, where's the melody, where's the where's the part that you know? My assistant will be like, oh I remember that song, Like it's it's going to be hard to ignore the education I've gotten again, like like do you believe in good songs are bad songs?
Speaker 3: Or effective so versus non effective?
Speaker 5: Yet well, I think I guess to me is more of a thing where for me it's a little bit of both. It's like I think that there can be songs where like if the only place I can enjoy it is if I'm halfway drunk, then probably is you know. No, I'm just saying like like if that's the only place, if that's the only time, ship like any other go through any like play like right now on like you know, wherever a hot nine, seven, one or five?
Speaker 3: Wherever?
Speaker 5: But I mean if But I'm saying, if I can only enjoy those songs in that particular setting, it is an effective song and I can get it. But once I come out of that kind of haze, I can be like, Okay, this is kind of a shitty song, but it does work in its context.
Speaker 3: But it's like McDonald's.
Speaker 5: It's like, I like McDonald's, and when I want McDonald's, I fucking want McDonald's.
Speaker 3: But I'm not about to argue in someone the nutritional value of McDonald's. It's like, nigga, I'm not about to do that, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying, Like it's just if you want a quarter pound, to eat your quarter pound and be happy and just that's what it is. But don't I'm not about to them argue as to why you should eat McDonald's every day, like getting me?
Speaker 3: So, is there a committee on session?
Speaker 2: Because I would imagine a show so well respected, with all these songs that stick, I would imagine that there is a jury of you know, of people that are are constantly dissecting, uh, every creation that's on the show, like what's that?
Speaker 1: What's the songwriting process?
Speaker 4: Like I spayed four week all of the lyrics are given to given to me by the scriptwriters, and prior to that, they're passed through the education department. So they've gone through the lyrically, it's gone through a bunch of different things because it needs to be grammatically correct and it needs to get across the education thing we're trying to get across. Once that's done, it comes to me and then it's just sort of like so for every song, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Songs about emotions and even songs about the number two. Wow. Yeah, every song goes through this stinking process. Yeah what red flag? No nos are there in sesame street songwriting?
Speaker 4: Like most of it's about the character. If it's not written like the character would say it, like, for example, like Elmo never says, I am.
Speaker 3: How come Elman cookies talk grammatically and correct? It's a good question. Don't know the answer to that. You could.
Speaker 4: You should ask them the next time you see them. I'm sure that believes I still have a job.
Speaker 3: Okay, that really is weird. Yeah, yeah, he I don't know. Yeah he says that, that's right.
Speaker 4: I mean because he's because they're three or they're five, and maybe that's what kids who are three or five too. I should probably know that.
Speaker 2: My kids are three or five anyway anyway, So the process is so then so then it comes to me and then it's like, if it's a song that exists in a script, it's how does it throw.
Speaker 4: You know, how does it work narratively? And what does it want to feel like and sound like? And then if it's a pull out song, it's like, if it's for a celebrity, who are they and what do they sound like? And can we make it sound like them? And then it sort of goes from there, and then I write it or somebody writes it, and then it goes back to the producing staff I'm sure similar to whatever goes on here, and and they approve it or they don't really Da da dah, and then.
Speaker 3: It's sort of that's it.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of people, but at this point, forty seven years later, are there hurt feelings?
Speaker 3: Nothing's worse than getting the song rejected.
Speaker 4: I gotta say this. I mean, I've written ten thousand songs at this point. If one gets rejected, I just go and write another one. Like I don't personally, I don't really I'm not too precious with anything at this point because I can't be because it just needs to happen too quickly.
Speaker 2: So oh so if you don't have it, then blah blah blah will have it, yeah, or like if it comes back and I was if I'm if I'm so far away that they're like trashing right a new one, then I'm like what at this point?
Speaker 4: Like how can I be that fucking far away?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But it happens from time to time, but must sometimes just like it's too fast, we want it to be slower so.
Speaker 4: Kids can understand it that I get a lot, or it's not cooking enough, funny enough. You mentioned like if if it's not a thing that a your kid could sing back or be they want to stand up and dance to, then then it's not good enough.
Speaker 5: That's how often I wanted to ask, man, how often for you is it that because I haven't done I've done some TV work, some movie work, writing for stuff, whatever, and I haven't done a lot of it, but I've done some.
Speaker 3: How often for you is it that you will do a song?
Speaker 5: They send it, they reject it, and they asked you to make changes or whatever, and it actually is better, like you like you sit back after it's done and be like, well, damn, that was right, versus man.
Speaker 3: Y'all fuck my song up? Like, how often does that happen for you? A few times a week?
Speaker 4: I mean, it depends, really, And so this week I wrote this song for Titus Burgess for this show I'm working on, and it was too fast and they wanted it to be slower. And I'm always hesitant about slowing things down because it just fucks it up all the time. However, in this case it came to I brought it back a little bit and worked totally fine. So there's that, and then the same thing that happened, like I wrote a song where I crunched the verse really quickly. Because the other thing about children's songs, if you've listened to them, is, especially with Sesame Street, you're trying to get so much across that there's a lot of words, a lot of syllables. It's not like you're holding notes, You're not like soaring and stuff's not really it doesn't really happen. So so in doing so, you know, you have to make sure that every word, like you can't overlap like the end of a verse into a chorus, because you can't then hear the end of the verse mix wise or not, like if it's on the screen and there's two people at the same time. That's another thing about Sesame Street. It's not a lot of duets or not a lot of people singing at the same time, unless it's like a chorus thing, Like you would never hear two puppets like singing harmonizing or harmonizing for sure, but like singing count over. They would never sing over the top of each other. Hey man, Which, by the way, that was a deep cut and I was really happy about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but nobody knew any.
Speaker 2: Sesame Street songs on the show Man, Like the old producer Staffs is looking at me like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no one's going to get this, but you got it.
Speaker 2: I always thought that frank Oz should have like a Lozengers deal or something.
Speaker 3: He's the best.
Speaker 2: It's how was he able to utilize that voice?
Speaker 1: And he was Cookie Monster for at least forty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Grover and Piggy and Bird oh wow, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So frank Oz left Sesame Street like I don't know, ten years ago or something, and the guy who took over his name is David Rudman. He and I believe he's also the hands of the Swedish Chef, which I think is a pretty cool thing. But yeah, but he does Cookie Monster and and baby Bear and a bunch of other stuff. But yeah, he he When we record with him, we sometimes if it's too low. He can only last a certain amount of time because that voice is so insane.
Speaker 2: How many voice characters are still on the show that were there? Is Carol Spinny. Carol Spinny is the last still bill Big Bird. He's he does the voice of Big Bird and the voice of Oscar.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and last year am I allowed to ask how old Carol Spinny is.
Speaker 3: He's a male?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, all right, I think he's eighty something. Seriously, And yeah, the best line about Carol, of which there are many, is like a few years ago or five or six, he said I don't think I can do Big Bird and roller skates anymore, which I thought was a pretty good line.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Wait, he was also the body of Big Bird, yes, for the entire span of the show. Oh, and just stopped doing it since I two years ago, a year ago.
Speaker 3: So now someone.
Speaker 4: Someone someone bodies it and he does the voice. Same thing with Oscar the Grouch. Wow, yeah, pretty amazing. There's some great eight or something. Yeah, like are there voices insured or I don't know, it's a good question. Yeah, I have no idea they should be saying. But Frank, you have a backup bird just in case there is, there's a backup bird.
Speaker 3: Is he good?
Speaker 4: He's great. He's also that guy is Matt Vogel. He's in the Electric Mayhem band. Who's the guy who plays the bass in the Electric Mayhem band. I'm blanking Shannon Tweed.
Speaker 6: Actually I actually figured out why Cookie Monster doesn't speak grammatically correctly?
Speaker 4: Why grammatically correctly.
Speaker 3: Correctly? He's a monster.
Speaker 6: Oh he's not like a real you know person, He's he's crazy or whatever.
Speaker 4: We just have thoughts from Steven Steve Star.
Speaker 2: He's going to be the start this podcast three months.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get his own second. He's that makes it. That makes I was I think it was diabetes because sugar, the sugars. Yeah, sugar, Yeah, yeah, that is that. Yeah, the sugars. That is another thing that goes into the Black Bible.
Speaker 2: All right, So Steve and I met, Uh. Steve was an engineer at Electric Lady Studios. So during the whole soul quarium, renaissance of of what uh voodoo and Erica's Mama's Gun and all the all the common records.
Speaker 1: That's how Steve and I worked with each other.
Speaker 2: So when he left Electric Lady and I hired him as my full time engineering Philly.
Speaker 1: Uh what started in two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: I'm still thinking about cooking. I'm sorry, shout.
Speaker 6: We should do we should do an episode where the cookie Monster learns how to speak correctly.
Speaker 4: We did one where he didn't eat cookies.
Speaker 3: Monster.
Speaker 4: People were like up in arms, like, yeah, I didn't like to take that.
Speaker 3: I do not that I watched it. Know, that's that's his legacy.
Speaker 4: You're the only friend I have to watches just for the record.
Speaker 6: Well, anyway, he's in his mouth, he crumbles him up and he throws them like he doesn't even eat any of it.
Speaker 4: I like that you're telling me this, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Thanks Steve.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So when Steve came to Philly to work full time for the Roots, his tired diet became my diet.
Speaker 3: So every day, Yeah, do I even need to finish it? Yes? Steve is one of the first.
Speaker 1: White people I know that had the sugars.
Speaker 3: Oh damn what we got? Cookie Monster is fine.
Speaker 1: I'm fed up.
Speaker 3: You let quiess love seriously.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a soul food church, like down the street from.
Speaker 2: The there's a soul food church down the street from the studio, so we ate there.
Speaker 1: Everything like clockwork is man.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of equivalent.
Speaker 2: What was the McDonald's thing for thirty days of supersize? Yeah, so I mean he ate soul food at least like four months in the road and by the end he was done.
Speaker 3: Shots.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, Steve had the sugar, Steve Sugar, How did you recover?
Speaker 3: Just left?
Speaker 6: You don't recover from you just keep going with it.
Speaker 3: Damn, Steve. Steve's in the Black Bible, man, Yo, you were fishing in the Black Bible. Steve. You got daby that's like the blackest disease up like that and.
Speaker 5: The gout like no one, no one figures out what the gout is.
Speaker 3: But it's just you don't want that ship. I got all that ship. Welcome you ride a dice d ride to Dad. You know what, one day, one day we're going to listen to this episode.
Speaker 1: When we're like professional and.
Speaker 3: I'll be dead.
Speaker 6: It wasn't just fried chicken that came and died that takes it takes longer than four months to get it too, you know.
Speaker 2: But you're also so you're gonna take now.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, you still do it.
Speaker 6: Whenever I eat, I have to take in something and then I take in something like a one that different kind of that helps you twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 1: Try and keep it like there's no coming back from it.
Speaker 3: Not yet. They're working on it. Don't worry. Wait, did I really do this? Theme? Like I feel bad? It's like for a moment right now, go ahead.
Speaker 6: They're working on it. Like your family gonna be like, no, I didn't tell them that you did this.
Speaker 2: All right, so we can just take this past. Have we talked about music at all?
Speaker 3: Right? Black Bible? There was Steve's diabetes.
Speaker 5: Great show man, we're talking about music. We supposed to be talking about something when we when we dried out all.
Speaker 3: Of our resources. What's Steve has diabetes? That was depressing? Ship from man.
Speaker 4: Don't pass out, Steve, keep it together, yo, because.
Speaker 3: It's such a depressing disease. Like I got an uncle.
Speaker 5: Nah, dude, like no, like dude, because it's because the thing is is Okay, I'm gonna tell you the tragedy sympathy, no, no, no, for real you and I'm gonna tell you the tragedy in this. It's because, like Steve, like you're a skinny guy, so you ain't even got the fatness to go with the diabetes.
Speaker 3: So it's not even like you earned it, you know what I mean. It's like it's like you're not even you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like I know a chick that's like a fat vegan and it's just like honey.
Speaker 7: Wow wow, yeah, Like it's just you know, I mean, like why like you you if you go if I'm a fat, if I'm gonna be fat, I'm gonna have everything that comes with it, and I'm gonna earn the fatness.
Speaker 5: So to be a skinny guy with that's fucking miserable. I really, you have myself and to think about every time I sit down to eat a meal, I gotta think about what I'm gonna eat. I got an uncle with diabetes. Thanksgiving, he can't have sweet Tata pot and.
Speaker 3: He can't do it. Like it'll be like what we call the ems. All right, we're gonna blue smoke after all? Yeah, right straight there? You know, Yeah, I gotta earn it.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, Okay, weird music, So I have I.
Speaker 4: I orchestraighted in the Heights in two thousand and eight and I wanted Tony. It was a wild night and the first time I ever won an award and that was great.
Speaker 1: Do cast albums get Tony's at all?
Speaker 4: No, they get Grammys.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not gonna get it. Bye, you are you playing?
Speaker 2: I'm going and I'm bom wrestling that stage when how many people are gonna get on that stage with one hundred?
Speaker 3: Yo?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be hilarious if the voting Academy just assumes that Hamilton is going to get Best Playing.
Speaker 3: So they decided, like, let me just give it to something else.
Speaker 4: I mean, I thought when we were so when they we did the Grammys and they gave the award on the stage at the Richard Rogers, and I was the only person in LA for a moment, I was like, what if Seth McFarland walked up there and is suddenly presenting the best Cast album that no one gives a fuck about? And he goes and it goes to not Hamilton, I mean the patant and that it would have been unbelievable. That would have been such a great moment, like and I would have been the only person there in l a be like wow, that would have been like.
Speaker 5: A Steve Harvey at the pageant moment, right because the winner is Hamilton.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, folks, I gotta be real. That was ship. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the way that the Roots one, our first Grammy, was that moment because it's like.
Speaker 3: I've heard your.
Speaker 5: Buty'all were up against like it was like Doctor Dre and Snow was to go ahead.
Speaker 3: It was just kidding.
Speaker 2: Got to Doctor Pare the Roots of General told to shut the fuck up, go ahead.
Speaker 3: It was wait, I ain't gonna even on the red carpet.
Speaker 2: Moby was like, yeah, I'm really excited to going to present the you know the best Rapperward or whatever.
Speaker 3: They were like, well, who are your favorites? I don't know. It could be doctor Dre, it could be Eminem, could be snoop ah Man.
Speaker 2: I really hope it's Bust Rhymes Jane Jackson. I love that song. I love those guys. Matter of fact, even if they're not the winners. I'm gonna say that bust Rhymes and Janet Jackson is the winner.
Speaker 3: So that was the movie.
Speaker 4: So that was the energy that he can vegan Skinny Vegan.
Speaker 3: Probably that was.
Speaker 1: The energy that he put on the red carpet.
Speaker 2: So meanwhile, we already lost uh two Grammy's two eminem earlier that night, and so sitting in the audience, I was like, well, I know we're not gonna win, so it's whatever. And suddenly I didn't Now I didn't hear what movie said from the stage, but when they called her name, I was like, holy crap, Like we won.
Speaker 3: How this happened?
Speaker 1: It's it's like that scene in Boogie Knights when Don Chetle.
Speaker 2: Goes into the door and all white and everyone gets shot and fills, except.
Speaker 5: He walks off with the he makes it and starts his his shot his seal shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and doctor Dre and Snoop versus Doctor Dre and Eminem versus R. Kelly and Puffy versus Janet Jackson and Bustin Rhymes, and then the roots in Eric Aboudu and somehow you.
Speaker 3: Won, y'all were the last one standing.
Speaker 2: I felt it was only that specific situation at which we were allowed to win now. I went home to night to watch the victory tape and then movie was like, and the winner is.
Speaker 3: In theory?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, the Roots?
Speaker 3: And did he say that? He said the winner is.
Speaker 2: In theory the Roots, and Eric about du wow. I didn't know what in theory meant, so I was like, what does in theory mean?
Speaker 3: That means you didn't deserve to win a mirror, but you're technically the winner. Yah ah man.
Speaker 4: And I was like, that's some shit. Can I ask a question about that song? Because because we were talking before about hooks and pop music and things.
Speaker 3: Like that, which one you got you got?
Speaker 4: Is there something to be said that The Roots is biggest pop success. Is one of the only songs you have that has like melody and stuff in it that that that has the hook of hooks?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think we got lucky.
Speaker 1: I mean, plus, you can't discount Scott Stewart.
Speaker 2: Like of all the keyboard players that have been in the Roots, Scott's right hand is automatically programmed to think of what the melody is. I mean, at the time, what was the number one communication device two way pages?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was kind of a Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: Scott's whole theory was it's not a hit if you can't put it in a two way page. And I was like, I never thought of that. But then, I mean, in the in the light of Neptune's beats with you know, just simple one New Chords, it felt at the time it felt like, oh, that's just lazy songwriting whatever. But now I get and understand what melody is. But yeah, it baffles me every day that we've never had a dance jam or a dance hit or you know.
Speaker 5: Now I will say this, I was always questioned, I want to ask you this. I was always wondered, you know, like Bill was saying, what you got me? Being the one that I had Melody, one of my favorites, still one of my favorite melodies by y'all to this day, is complexity with jill Off phrenology.
Speaker 3: Right, why why you got me? And not that one?
Speaker 5: I mean, aside from one getting a push or you know whatever, or one being pushed as a single, because complexitly wasn't a single, It wasn't a.
Speaker 3: Singing something that was hard to sing.
Speaker 2: In my in my heart I felt and in my heart I knew. I think I wanted to make cool filler. I think I made great filler, and even the artist that I like, Stevie Wonder printing the Beatles, and like you can judge a really good artist based on the filler, Like I like their filler more than I like the sing Gotcha Bill?
Speaker 5: Do you spend a lot of time working on lyrics? Like is that something that you like? What comes first to you? Is it music first? Lyrics first?
Speaker 3: Like justing now right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I always get sent a page of lyrics for the most part when I'm working on like TV shows and things like that. But then when I'm not, I'm not I hire lyricist. I'm not a lyricist per se. I think for me, the music always comes first, or the or the or the the hook, Like I'll write hooks first and then go back first.
Speaker 5: That's the same way I am too. For me, it's like I was an English major in college. So for me, writing a song like the hook is like your thesis statement, and then your verses are like the paragraphs to support the thesis statement. So it was it was very much My process is the same way.
Speaker 2: See I'm asked backwards verses verse.
Speaker 3: I'll even go deeper than that beat first.
Speaker 2: First of all, I'm so non singles thinking I think of the album, and when I'm thinking of the album, the first thing I work on are the interludes. Okay to me, I don't know you remember that feeling of getting Pete Rock's records thelues.
Speaker 5: Look, man, I remember buying. I didn't break the law for main ingredient.
Speaker 3: I didn't. That was like break This is a fun breaks breaks the law episode.
Speaker 5: Okay, the last that was last one, I can last record. I remember breaking the law for it.
Speaker 3: I broke the law for.
Speaker 5: I had a home it that worked at a record store, and I broke the law. Now it wasn't best By. It wasn't best By. It was another record store. I'm not gonna name because I don't know if the statuteation is up on this ship.
Speaker 3: So, but it was a record store.
Speaker 5: So he would just let me came in and I gave him like five dollars and he would just let me like grab whatever funk.
Speaker 3: I wanted one of those.
Speaker 5: Records, mans records, right, let's talk about it. One of those records was Okay Computer and that was my first introduction radio hit and ever since then I was I was converted. But but now I remember main Ingredient. I bought main Ingredient, and honestly, main Agreed was a record for me. I didn't like I Gotta Love. Like I heard the singer. I was just like Kanye said, that's his favorite song.
Speaker 3: No, that's no. Yeah, I'm like, bro, that is Everyone's.
Speaker 2: Frowning in this room even though people had never heard.
Speaker 5: Everyone's like, yeah, I hate it, I gotta love. But but I still bought the record. I was like, let me see and oh my god, but yeah, the interludes, You're right, the interludes for that record.
Speaker 3: Were better than a lot of the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to me, like, I feel like I work ass backwards.
Speaker 2: I figured that interludes first, and then I match the song to that interlude, and then you work on the groove, and then you add the verses, and then the hook is the afterthought. Like I work completely backwards from you know, from how the average That's how I used to do. Now I'm thinking of what's your hook, what's the thing that's going to stick? Which I almost feel like like a dirty businessman for doing that.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, you gotta make a living, brother. I mean, but I think I think too.
Speaker 5: I mean, what you're doing to DJ, I imagine it would be kind of hard to not be informed by that, you know what, I because I remember one time I went to one of your I think we did the thing over it.
Speaker 3: It was at the do Over in London.
Speaker 5: We were in London for the Olympics, right, and some of the stuff you played with records that I would not listen to, like you in my car or in my life, but they totally killed the party. And I mean they were good records, but you know they worked in that setting.
Speaker 2: What I spend and what I listened to are just night, night and day. What do you well, you don't DJ D?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, Like what is your go to? I have to listen to to get me through the day.
Speaker 4: I know people ask me, I don't listen to a lot of music. I'm the opposite of you don't.
Speaker 1: So you're too immersed in music.
Speaker 4: I feel like I go downstairs to my office at nine am and I come out at six am. My ears are just shot, and I just when I'm in the car listen to like the news or comedy most or Top forty because I feel like so often that not when people are asking me to write something. They're like, oh, it sounds like the new but tune, so I have to know what that reference is and I gotcha. And to my kids because they know them and I should.
Speaker 3: So are you listen because I do the same things.
Speaker 5: I will listen to like talk radio or NPR or something like just to kind of cleanse or just kind of decompress, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You say you go.
Speaker 5: Downstairs in your office. Do you work from home? Is that kind of your home base?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I kind of move around. It depends on what the day it is. Like it's either Sesame Street in Queens or our studios on Fifth Street or record music or I'm at in my basement.
Speaker 5: So do you have like a home studio just set up just kind of do anything up?
Speaker 4: It's easy.
Speaker 5: How do you find your balance as a dad? And or is there even a balance?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, do your daughters control the radio yet?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 4: They They will pick certain songs and ask to stay on certain channels. And my one daughter will move the dial and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: She knows what she's So who controls the music in the household? My kids?
Speaker 4: They it's it's pop radio. All the time in my house.
Speaker 2: What's the most adult intellectual thing they listen to on pop radio?
Speaker 3: No? Just I mean, yeah, you ain't gonna find much yet. I was listening to.
Speaker 2: Beatles at five, so yeah, my kids so. But it's also the parents responsibility, I agree with. Do you let them choose what they want to listen to?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't put it on them. I haven't yet. But it's interesting because I did not have parents, but both my parents are doctors, so clearly we have a lot in common.
Speaker 3: And uh uh.
Speaker 4: My parents listened to like smooth My dad listened to like Dave Sanborne, like smooth jazz all day long, wow, and like like for real and uh and I was a saxophone player and I was like no, and uh uh yeah, like super smoothy. But they they didn't know music. They still don't know me. They have no idea. So like when I was a kid, all the cool kids listened to like the Beatles and led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and like that was the thing in the very white suburban neighborhood. I grew up on Long Island. Calm down a fucking second before you judge me, And so then it did not until later. You're shaking your head because you feel for me. Okay, okay, my bad, so and so now.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why I was shaking my head, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: So not until later, was was right right at high schools ending in college was starting where it was like, this is what you have to open up your head a little bit. It's not just about these particular things. And so then it became more of a like a quest as as as opposed to as opposed to like something being given to you, you know you have to go and get it. And I thought that that part of it was cool because it became a thing of discovery. Like I didn't get into the Beatles until way after I should have, and so when I finally did, I was at a different place musically that it meant more to me, and I was interested in very different things.
Speaker 3: I think you do have to kind of brainwash the key. I mean, at least I do.
Speaker 5: I mean you got a brainwashing, because I mean they gonna get brainwashed from other people. So at least, like when my music, I was not punished, the only time I can remember being even like something like kind of getting getting words at me my granddad. I had Bigger and Death for LL the second album. I had Bigger Deafer and I'm Bad comes on and I had it playing and he was in the room and oh my, I ain't met a motherfucker who could do that yet that one l Lyric I had the same experience. Oh my god, it was just the same thing. Yeah, that one that you let it play. I let it play, but it was it was too late, like I cut you. I was on the other side of the earth and I ran faster.
Speaker 2: And Carl Lewis and I ran yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It was man and my grandad from neighborhood where what was that tape at you listen to talking about motherfuckers and my grand yo And I'm thinking about this now, my granddad, because I know there's a link here. My grandfather was a huge fan of that King Cole. That's really all he listened to.
Speaker 3: So if it wasn't that King Cole, he wasn't trying to fuck with none of that ship.
Speaker 5: Were any rappers, any black men you're objected to listening to it?
Speaker 3: I was. He would my granddad every Christmas.
Speaker 5: He would bring out the Christmas album and he would just sit us in the den and you just had to listen to that and that was it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't no talking. This is not up for discussion. It's not debate.
Speaker 5: Utfo no nah, none of that no utfo. Oh my god, no.
Speaker 3: None of that, none of that joint, none of the Christmas records. It was all. It was all that, King cole.
Speaker 2: My jazz education was kind of also asked backwards because jazz was punishment in my household. Oh wow, like you you were punished, Yeah, Like I feel like my parents felt as though jazz music was a way to exercise the prince demons out of me. So whenever, I mean, my public telling of the amount of times I've gotten punished for owning nineteen ninety nine is super legendary. But they would break the record and then you know, it would be like no stereo for two to three weeks, which is like a lifetime to me. And the only thing I was allowed to listen to was Christian radio and jazz music.
Speaker 3: And so usually it's like each your vegetables kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So all my knowledge and my associations of all those culturing songs Alabama and Love Supreme and the entire Coltrane plays the blues record is based on just the fact that this is world music, not that Prince, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean dad just thought like Prince was a dude that wore a diaper. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: I mean he saw the Yeah No Midnight Special when he's doing I Want to Be Alone. You know, boy, don't you ever wear no diaper?
Speaker 5: Like and you know what, man, anything you say that is like, I guess that's kind of where I'm at now with my kids because my oldest son, he is in the music.
Speaker 3: But the thing I will say about him is that he listens to everything. He listens to. He'll listen to like Young Thug and Little Yachty.
Speaker 5: Like all the all the XXL cover dudes, but then the Freshman covered dudes, he'll listen to them. But then he'll listen to the Beatles, like he'll listen to And that was the thing, Like when we were talking earlier, you said the kids are more sophisticated, because I think what it is now, like kids now they ain't got a paper ship, so they can listen to everything.
Speaker 3: Like I remember buying music or stilling music back.
Speaker 5: In my day, Like you had to make a choice, you know, what I'm saying, even a choice of what the steal.
Speaker 3: You couldn't fit all the ship in the bag.
Speaker 5: It's like I got to make a choice of them steal today but back then. But now, like kids, wait, let's have another front race long moment, tell us another story front.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I mean you couldn't get caught stealing the ship? Nah, I never did. I never did.
Speaker 5: But it was because because they switched it up. They switched you got called ste Island. Bill has the story.
Speaker 3: I got caught stealing when I was fourteen from Target. I had Target.
Speaker 8: Target just came out like last year, right, I'm thirty six, All right, this was this was ninety four.
Speaker 3: I used to every Friday.
Speaker 8: I would go to the mall and I had like this big Charlotte hornet starter jacket with the pocket in the front flap.
Speaker 3: You was mental or bad.
Speaker 8: I had this small pa because you know, you know how they had the little plastic thing passic around the plastic around it. So I would take them to take the CD to the handicap bathroom, cut the plastic thing off of it, open the CDs, tossed everything in the trash and just walking.
Speaker 3: It was like a real thief. Yeah, handicap. You took it too far. That should lasted for a good year. Oh man, I didn't even do all that.
Speaker 5: See, all I did was like I just I didn't even have like I had like a little key, like my key, my mailbox key in my that went to my in college, like you get your mailboxy. My mailbox key was mad sharp. So all I would do is just you know, beforehand, we would just like take them and you just go to college. Yeah, this was like I think it, but it was I didn't have I didn't get my first computer until two thousand and three four.
Speaker 3: So like that was when I got the computer. Man, I.
Speaker 5: I would have got one, but by last one, I remember, like you just opened a little joint because then they started changing it and they would put the sensors inside the CD coup So then what you do, that's when I had the key. You just take the key and then you just get the CD out and then you just leave the case and put the case back up in So like if I was still in a stero, it's like ever here fucking you know everything. But the girl clear, no, no, no, I'm just saying that I'm not getting rested with clear.
Speaker 3: But it was like the E section. I mean, who was who was popping at that time? Right? It was all at see. Okay, so what did you get caught stealing? Well? How did you get caught?
Speaker 8: First off, Okay, I got caught because somebody came into the bathroom like right after I did and saw all the ship that I had thrown away in and they snitched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they snitched. So it was a Storm employee.
Speaker 3: It was I don't think it was a stor employe.
Speaker 8: It was probably like some woman and her child or whatever walked in the titles and CDs. I stole LLL scratched his first album.
Speaker 5: Wow, which was an EP. It was like where my Homies? Like eight times it was like, where are my homies?
Speaker 3: Homies? Where my homies?
Speaker 8: At L scratched Keith Murray's Most Beautifulest Thing in the World.
Speaker 3: Okay, TLC is crazy, sexy, cool, all right? And the one that is clown worthy Ray Carri's Christmas out.
Speaker 2: Oh right after that kid Cold Right now?
Speaker 6: The cover though of that.
Speaker 2: You're in the VHS section, Steve, you know what, Actually, I stole a steep. I stole I forgot. I used to work One of my biggest shames in life was that I got fired from Sam Goodies.
Speaker 3: From Sam Goodie, you still, I know, like how what I know?
Speaker 2: It's like it's such a new brainer, right, I should still be working at Sam Goodie right now. But yeah it was. It was January of eighty nine and three ft high and rising by day. Last Soul just came out and I took the promo concept from the store and I guess.
Speaker 3: That's not well, it's not only one copy of it.
Speaker 2: I guess the manager wanted it.
Speaker 3: They called.
Speaker 2: They didn't call me out on it, but you know, it's just like, all right, we're letting you go.
Speaker 3: A mire and I didn't say anything. I just walked away, defeated. Then I started, I would get tier worth getting fired over. Yeah, that's that's if you're gonna get fired. I wasn't better.
Speaker 2: But when we did have an in store for our second album, do You Want More? Uh, I denied the.
Speaker 3: The store uh doing an in store there? Instead? I did a Tower Records. That's how Records. That's how bitter I was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just wrote the music for a Tower Records documentary, not just it was a long time ago that.
Speaker 3: It's the one.
Speaker 1: Music documentary that you're not in that. I did a five hour interview for Colin Hanks.
Speaker 3: You're still not in that.
Speaker 1: I got put on the cutting room floor.
Speaker 4: But you know that if you go to IMDb or the first face I think that's there, it's the roll and then you.
Speaker 3: But you're not even in it. You got hanked. I'm not bitter, though, not all. I didn't see the movie.
Speaker 2: Like, is it that it's only Tower employees that were in it or no?
Speaker 4: I think I was like, yeah, no, buts in it as well? Right, I think so yeah, yeah, I don't know. He might have gotten other cuttingroom floor too.
Speaker 3: How is it? Is it good? I haven't seen?
Speaker 2: I mean, but I spoke for like five hours and and ain't usually.
Speaker 3: Nothing was usable. Dang, my feelings were hurt. It's okay, Well.
Speaker 1: We've learned a lot here todayly and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: This can go on forever.
Speaker 5: But I got my work cut out for me today. Yeah you good, and you have to give them a cut tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: Bill wants to prepare this years and events. No, Sean wants to prepare everything. Yeah, so I'm cool with right. I know you guys are prepared. See, I keep responsible people in my life because I am a slacker at the heart.
Speaker 3: I feel you, bro, Yeah all right, well whole responsibility.
Speaker 5: And you know what, And that's it's very profound that you say that, because I've been trying to explain that people like it's like because they see you working.
Speaker 3: Hard and they're like, man, you're going to get it. You work really hard.
Speaker 5: And it's like the reason I'm working hard is because I'm trying to get it. You know, I've officially got it when you motherfuckers never see me again, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that, Like that's when you know I've made it.
Speaker 5: Like when when you don't see me tweeting, we don't see no Instagram with all that social media.
Speaker 1: Is over, Oh Son, there's no such thing as disappearing.
Speaker 3: You know, think, well you might get to do this and you're like, oh, the two phone actually four? But yeah, Liam, so why so why would you need full phone? Which one of the which one is the whole phone?
Speaker 9: And that's what's supreme, Lad, that's the fife on behalf of our our new in Bill Sermon, Bill Johnson, Mandel.
Speaker 3: Coleman and your Shoely quest Love. We thank you very much. We pray that you come back next time. God Willie next ones that good night you go. We come back next Yes see you later.
Speaker 1: West Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite chose