Speaker 1: Heybody, Oh my goodness, what's up? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to adult This is Jordan Carlos and I am miss Shelbyte and you know what the fuck it is. I don't know if this is your first episode, but hopefully it's not your motherfucking last.
Speaker 1: Sorry I'm saying motherfucking so much, but it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Mother Wow, coming in hot, hot.
Speaker 1: Coming in really hot.
Speaker 2: You know what, I realized people cuss less when they have kids, But for me, like, I don't want to cuss in front of them all the time because let's be honest, But when they're at school, I'm like Andrew Dice Clay bitch, like I have to.
Speaker 1: Get it out.
Speaker 3: It's smoking cigarettes and.
Speaker 1: Little mass Muffett.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's like how I'm living my life because you know, I like purposely put on.
Speaker 1: Gangster rab when I go pick them.
Speaker 2: Up because I have I go to sleep with Mowana suck.
Speaker 1: In my head. Wait a minute, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: Way o, way, like it is not okay, Coco Melon Incanto, Luca, Paul Patrol, PJ Max.
Speaker 1: Wait, Like what I have this children's.
Speaker 2: I'm I have children's music stuck in my head and nobody tells you this shit about parenting, like raising a kid, sure, trying to have them not be an asshole, Okay, but the terrible children's music in your mind, Like how does Lynn Manuel Miranda ever sleep?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Does he can we check in on him? Is he okay?
Speaker 4: No, he's out there rhyming and freestyling in his own way. I did then raps, but I feel like I'm imagining you pulling up in your mini van to pop smoke, just like bumping pop smoke in the back of the car.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. It's a lot of Tupac. It's a lot of Biggie. When I roll up to the daycare, Wow, it was all a dream. Yeah, yeah so you. Yeah, I roll up, I'm like kicking the door, wave in the full fole.
Speaker 1: Hi, did they eat? Know their meatballs today?
Speaker 2: Say bye? And then it's head, shoulders, seas and toast. Like don't you feel like you're living a double life as a parent.
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: I mean, but I'm also I do admit I will play jay z or like tryp call quest certain rap I do play in their presence.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like let them know, you know, and then they'll be like, oh, those are grown up boards.
Speaker 3: We can't say them.
Speaker 1: And what age did you start playing the hip hop? Because I'm just.
Speaker 2: Like Blue Ivy's had a Beyonce concert, hitting all the moves?
Speaker 5: What her?
Speaker 1: When do we do it? We just do it?
Speaker 3: Michelle?
Speaker 4: For the record, you said, at what age do I start playing the hip hop? We are officially old as fuck? What the the hip hop?
Speaker 2: It's a limited amount they thought that you could play in front of your kids.
Speaker 1: Why do you start doing it?
Speaker 4: I started probably around when she was like when Izzy was probably around five, you know, just like playing things old school, like ninety stuff that she could kind of get into some maybe some stuff would go over her head, you know, like some Arrested Development or trap call Quest, you know, just like nineties mixes like that. Now, yeah, Biggie is something a little bit different. I would play like Hypnotize Big Papa, where she doesn't understand what he's saying. That's always like fun. If they don't understand what they're saying, then it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like the beat, the rhythm, the rhyme. Yeah that was me growing up. Yeah, going to Jamaica every summer. I did not know what reggae lyrics meant I was like wax out her belly, ow like not knowing. Yeah, it's yuck, but you know, I think there is something like if you don't know what it means. But also you know, this is an education for the kids too, you know what I mean. They're gonna hear it on the school yard and shit.
Speaker 4: You could never go wrong though, in the car with the first name artists Stevie, Aretha, Diana, Beyonce. If you take it back to Motown or you listen to Beyonce, then it's like those songs you can pretty much hear without any having to love like, uh that that's a little too racy for them, you know, I mean if you're playing like the Temps, the Tops, things like.
Speaker 1: That, the Temps, the Tops, the Diana.
Speaker 3: Of it all.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, my mom used to play the Big Chill soundtrack when I was a kid. She would play the Big Chill soundtrack and that's how I yeah, Big Chill. Never saw the movie, but the soundtrack was thriving out here.
Speaker 1: Like childhood everybody can.
Speaker 2: I say, not to be a creeper, but I saw a video that your sister posted of your parents dancing and it so reminded me of my parents dancing, like there's something so beautiful that doesn't happen anymore, where you just like fall into each other's bodies, you know, yes, your arms and you just melt into one person and it's your person, and you've been dancing this two step with this person for decades, and oh my goodness, I just love to see it.
Speaker 1: I just love to see it.
Speaker 2: I love to see happy couples because I think we have been so And this is also important used to saying you don't have to be with someone if you're not happy. They had like two happy homestead of one unhappy home. But relationships is a lot of work. And you know, the single folks out there, the people question, the people like living with somebody respect to all that shit.
Speaker 1: But I know what I know now as a.
Speaker 2: Married person, like deep in twelve years, and it's hard. It's really really motherfucking hard. So when you see someone like your parents, what forty years later, fifty.
Speaker 4: Two years married, and I think they like two years married, three or four years dating, so like they've yeah, they've been together so long. But I do feel that they.
Speaker 1: To jump into each other's arms.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, gold, I mean, but you know, the getting there is hard.
Speaker 4: The I remember when I was a kid, there were times when it was just like it wasn't tumultuous, but there was definitely a lot of like stress in the house with three black children in Texas, and they were very much about the black excellence.
Speaker 3: Of it all.
Speaker 4: And I think that they've really mellowed out part of me. When I watched the video, I was like, who are these people?
Speaker 5: But you know, you guys are out the house.
Speaker 1: They don't have to worry about you anymore.
Speaker 3: They don't have to worry anymore.
Speaker 4: They've definitely mellowed and gone back to who they were before, they were before they had kids, you know, and they've entered that river again. And it's really it's really beautiful to watch because they really enjoy their own company, they truly do, and they really love each other and they're in love and that's a really beautiful thing. And they're they're just each other's bestie. Now does that that they spend they're that couple though on a plane that's like, you know, like the ones that are just like can we I'm sorry, can we sit together? Because the tickets we get and you're just like just when you gotten comfortable, right, So yeah, it's actually that's them because a lot of couples at that age are just like, You're like, do you want to sit together? And they're like, nah, all right, we've been together a lot. This is fine, Okay, yeah, just together.
Speaker 1: That's so cute.
Speaker 4: It's really cute. I loved it. They were just in the Bahamas. They've been there like this past weekend and just having a great time with friends, and they tried to have their fiftieth wedding anniversary there but because of COVID they couldn't, so they went back and we're just having this a wonderful weekend and you know, it's it's great to see.
Speaker 2: This is like every conversation sometimes when people are like we were going to but because of COVID, we couldn't, and so like shut out to everybody who was meant to celebrate, something was meant to graduate, something was meant to go somewhere, just was meant to but because of COVID, you couldn't up And what the fuck?
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot, Fauci, I mean not no, no, I know, I congratulations on your retirement.
Speaker 3: You know, people are saying, like.
Speaker 1: Talk about retirement.
Speaker 2: Honey, him and his wife needs to go take a whole ass break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for real, for real, they need to go to the Bahamas. Yes, get out there.
Speaker 1: And do it. I'm just saying, like, it's a couple of things.
Speaker 2: It's nice to hear that your parents did a good job raising them children, and ken relax with no ailments because you know, the minute you stopped working, something happens.
Speaker 3: That happens to right, he did pretty damn well. I mean, yes, yeah, pretty damn well.
Speaker 2: It's the only reason why I'm squatting like every other day squats my exercise, squatting with some weights. Oh that's fun, right, jump rope.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to jump rope. I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: Well, you got double the trouble, like you're trying to catch up with two three year olds that are just full of energy with batteries in their backs, just like Triple A's going zooming.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's insane, it's insane. Thank God for you, y'all, And thank god for updated playgrounds. I mean, we got the Tetnis shots, but thank god for updated playground.
Speaker 1: Come through inc that, honey.
Speaker 4: I feel like this, I feel like they're a testament to the fact that they definitely hung in there and wanted to be in this marriage sometimes. Yeah, even when the chips were down and things look bleak, you know, because you're a kid and you observe, Yeah, and you can tell just from like whatever energy and stuff like that that maybe things aren't right right now, you know, and maybe this is a good patcher that was a bad patches. I never wanted to get in their business, but it was like I was in the house. I could observe, and I remember them having it out sometimes, but like they always argued towards something, and they're reaping what they sewed. It's a really beautiful thing and they actually are having what people dream of golden years, you know.
Speaker 2: And we love to motherfucker see it because that's goals. It's not just a hashtag.
Speaker 3: Nah, it's crazy. I'm a dad can dance. They both can.
Speaker 2: It's attractive when someone can dance. You don't have to sing, but at least carry a fucking beat. It's like, God, I see these like gorgeous bitches on their wedding days just trying to like fucking carry this.
Speaker 1: Dumb dude. I'm like, you better be.
Speaker 2: Rich as fuck or just you better just have a huge orgasm every time you sit on it, because why the fuck would you put up with this? Anyways, very excited to get to our guest Jordan who on that note.
Speaker 1: He's so great. He's funny.
Speaker 2: He's a comedian, he's a writer, he's a producer, he's a husband and a father. Like what can't he do? He better be paying his taxes on time. I'm just kidding everyone, please give it up? How are we gonna give it up? So you crazy?
Speaker 1: Everyone?
Speaker 3: Get out of your seat, Get on your feet.
Speaker 1: What the only legs came?
Speaker 3: Get on your feet right now in the drive through? Come on, there is what's up?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: He's in the building.
Speaker 2: Look at you.
Speaker 1: Come on, light skinned Benjamin Button agent backwards, Come on? Come on?
Speaker 3: Was I horribly ate when you met me?
Speaker 2: We love this haircut. It is giving like BT awards. I'm gonna sing my album from nineteen ninety two, it's the one song it was like. It's giving Puerto Rican father of six that just got out of prison, who got a new job, rollless cigars?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right? Am I good to the babies? And I at least am I coming back?
Speaker 1: They loved They loved you more than moms.
Speaker 3: Oh ship, damn, this is beautiful. What a welcome didn't you?
Speaker 1: What? What is that? Watches that movado?
Speaker 3: Let me know, that's the cheap version of a rich man's thing.
Speaker 1: Come on, let me get this chilled out. Let's say, let's doubt I love it?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Wait can we talk? Can we just talk about Canada for two point two? Oh?
Speaker 5: Sure, yes, that we we should do that. Do you want to do you want to explain to your listeners? What what the context of Canada?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What is Canada?
Speaker 2: I feel like I've definitely I know you through the stand up scene.
Speaker 1: But then we both booked a pilot for seth Rogen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was gonna be a huge thing. I think, uh, I think we both felt like this is the one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We were like, oh plus like everybody black audition for it and we got it. We're like, oh fuck book blessed, like highly favorite. All this got like an international fucking visit of working Vancouver because that's where his.
Speaker 1: Production company is, and we're like, this is going to be amazing.
Speaker 2: Damon, Wayne's junior played your best friend slash my boyfriend in it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: And we get to Vancouver. How long were we in Vancouver for almost a month?
Speaker 5: I think because Seth and Evan believe in rehearsals, which is a rare thing for pilots. But they're like, yo, we're gonna do two weeks of rehearsal on location so that y'all can get comfortable with the shit, so that there's no chance that this pilot will not become a series. And boy, oh boy, did it not become a series?
Speaker 3: Wait, no, I remember this. What was the pilot exactly? Though?
Speaker 5: It was this show called Singularity, which rings about the survivors of a human apocalypse living in like this engineered bubble run by technology, and the technology starts to turn on them and society as a whole. It was very funny. It was written by this dude, Sonny Lee, who's amazing. It had all the parts and pieces and Michelle, you know, just goddamn hilarious and all of it and just never happened.
Speaker 3: FX said, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: I think there was a lot of cooks in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: I think Seth and Evan have uh and Sonny they had a dope ass vision and I think FX and this happens all the time they wanted it more.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the fuck they wanted more of, but.
Speaker 2: You know, even when we were filming it, I was like, this feels like it's gonna be good. It was futuristic. We had weird sneakers on. I was like, this might be something. But one of my favorite moments with you, I mean there was, there was a few. None of them was when we were filming.
Speaker 3: Bomb throughout the filming.
Speaker 5: I'm a fun hang but boy did I bomb throughout the filming.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't.
Speaker 2: I like to act like work as vacation, so I like to spend money and have fun.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I'm basically spending the money that I'm making. Anyways, I'm like, I'm away from my family, Like, fuck it, let's just have this good wine.
Speaker 1: I remember I was eating with you, Damit that Purdue was done.
Speaker 2: I got like, I have this video of you and Damon and like this really expensive bottle of wine that I got.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do remember. It came in a trough of some kind.
Speaker 2: It was like it looked like a like a cobra, like a snake.
Speaker 3: God, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a show and I was like, why are we doing this? And then like seafood towers. I left like with gout. I felt like a fat king.
Speaker 5: That's what I remember most is that Michelle, I think every other day would go back to the same restaurant order a new seafood tower. And it reached a point where, like because I think they had multiple seafood tower options, where she had gone down the entire like seafood tower menu, and they kept getting more extravagant every time.
Speaker 3: Yea, she returned. I didn't know you were that into seafood, Michelle.
Speaker 2: I'm into a moment, Honey, I'm into a moment, you know, make it make sense. I'm in Vancouver. Let me see like I'm in a different part of the ocean. Let's see what it tastes like. That's what I'm into.
Speaker 4: Like, not that into octopus, but if you stack it vertically and maybe throwing some scallops, is that you It.
Speaker 2: Was muscles, oysters, it was tushimi, It was all types of stay.
Speaker 1: It was a different part of a lobster.
Speaker 5: Listen, they never didn't show up for the seafood tower, you know what I mean, Like they showed up and showed out when it came to the seafood tower.
Speaker 2: Wow, were you there that night we tried to get into the strip club.
Speaker 5: I was yeah, we were all very drunk and running the streets of Vancouver. I was pretty blackout and then we were Yes, you were the most drunk I think of everybody.
Speaker 3: And then we tried to go to the strip club and then they reject this. Didn't they tell us like, no, you can't. They did, you can't strip club here?
Speaker 2: I mean they probably saw me and they were like, take it away, she can't.
Speaker 4: How did you get rejected from a strip club in Vancouver? That's what what haped? No did y'all scream race?
Speaker 3: I know? I will.
Speaker 1: Al Sharpton showed up the next day.
Speaker 4: It was but lex and you have a whole episode on bust Down called Beaige Rage. Your Beaige rage didn't come through brou No.
Speaker 5: I don't think I was leading the charge in the strip club of it all.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, I'll go home. I don't know, I don't gotta be here. This is crazy beige rage.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite. Do you get into fights? Have you gotten into fights? Grown up?
Speaker 3: I wasn't a big fighter.
Speaker 5: I am a I throw tantrums when people upset me maybe more than I like throw fists and shit.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm a I'll store them off, I'll knock over a glass. I'm a piece of shit.
Speaker 5: But I don't I'm not punching anybody in the face necessarily.
Speaker 3: That's not my style. You'll make a display. Yeah, it's more of a how dare you? Sir? Is anyone else seeing this?
Speaker 1: Are you just gonna watch what's happening to me?
Speaker 3: Your character? Man?
Speaker 4: It just makes me laugh so hard because how far away are you from that character?
Speaker 5: I want to believe I'm very far from that person, but I don't know that. You know, the goal when the four of us wrote that show was really to write the parts of each other that we hate the most and activate them. So it really was making fun of each other and then and then creating character from that. And so it's you know, I am annoying, and my friends amplified that as much as a because.
Speaker 3: You're not, Like, you're not annoying? Man, all right, you're annoying. You'll get You'll get in. See.
Speaker 4: I gotta spend more time with you, bro, Like every time we hang out. It's a fun hang I gotta see you on a Wednesday at like eleven am or something like that.
Speaker 3: And I'm just being, oh, yeah, you'll get it.
Speaker 2: That's what I really don't remember. Hanging one on one with you at Vancouver. I felt like there was always a lot of people and door food. Yeah, I felt like it was a lot of food.
Speaker 5: We had a lot of meals together, we did it was a great time, though.
Speaker 3: I really that was a fun, fun shoot.
Speaker 2: Are you finding fun in other projects like that? Like, are you just like this, this is what I have to do, but also let's make it motherfucking fun.
Speaker 5: I have, but not to the same that one, to your point, felt like an adventure in a way that I don't think I've ever adventured.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 5: I've had fun on sets, I've done shit with coworkers and ship, but never have I felt like, oh, man, like every day we wake up and we'll find a new part of a city and just walk around and then eat shrimps.
Speaker 3: And you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like that was like a that was like a summer camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was one hundred summer camp.
Speaker 5: I think the first night we got there, seth made us go see get Out together and we just all sat in a in a theater watching Get Out.
Speaker 2: I forgot that, you know why, because I smoked Seth's blunt.
Speaker 3: That's right, yes, everybody was.
Speaker 1: I wish I was better at smoking weed.
Speaker 3: You smoked Seth Brogan's blunt. Yo. I meant start that rumor too.
Speaker 2: I'm got to start that rumor. Michelle Buteaux smokes Seth Rogan's blunt. Yeah, start that motherfucking ruma.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I sucked it too. I was like, oh, it's a little wet at the tip. I'm so sorry. Sorry, Seth, I'm the one.
Speaker 1: Sorry everyone.
Speaker 5: I will say that they are high pretty much the entire time.
Speaker 1: They wake up and productive as fuck. I was very impressive.
Speaker 3: It was super impressive because you know, we'd have.
Speaker 5: Like four thirty five am like call times and show up and those dudes are literally just like waking and baking and also like planning out shots and you just watch them effectively get a job.
Speaker 1: Done better than most people that aren't high.
Speaker 2: It was inspiring, really and truly, I was like, I'm not living life properly. I think at one point, you know, you have snacks on set, like in America, you'll get like a hot dog or like a turkey burger and they think they're being healthy. We had like oysters and poutine. I was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: That was wild.
Speaker 2: Also, I think I cooked at his house one night. This is all coming back to me like a fever dream.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 2: They were doing a movie at the same time, and the boys from what's the name of that show they had in Comedy Central Workaholics, Workaholics.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Workaholics dudes were shooting up there at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sugaring Beard was And I made oxtail for like twenty people.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I just wanted to.
Speaker 3: And it was a good ax day.
Speaker 2: It wasn't bad. It wasn't bad. God, so much has changed in then.
Speaker 3: You never made me oxtail.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: You made me noxtail? Oh fuck?
Speaker 1: But what have I made you and your family?
Speaker 3: You've made me so much food?
Speaker 1: Not much? My husband barbecue is not me.
Speaker 3: Do you guys get to hang a lot now?
Speaker 4: Not as much as I would like, because she abandoned me and moved out of Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Oh no, where are you now?
Speaker 2: I'm in City Island, which is a little part of the Bronx Oh, and it's like a little fish in town and it's cute as fuck. I mean, I feel like we've all entered the next phase of adulting.
Speaker 1: We have kids now. We have to think of space in.
Speaker 2: School districts and yard and where we're gonna put the car and how many steps we got to fuck with?
Speaker 1: And you know, can we have a dishwasher? You know all that shit.
Speaker 2: And so Jordan's family is definitely part of the quarantine, like we hang. Yeah, our kids love each other, but.
Speaker 1: Fuck boo, you got a kid down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wild. It's a wild choice, it is. We all made some wild choices. Huh. A little girl, little boy. She's a little girl.
Speaker 5: She's ten and a half months old, and she can stand. She cannot yet walk, but she'll get there. She'll learn to do that eventually, I'm told. And she's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: She's a cool lady. I like her.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that you like her, because that happens too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I've talked to a few friends who are like, nah, I ain't. I ain't a big fan. Like they cool, but I'm not liking love deeply.
Speaker 3: Yeah with the baby, Damn, that's real.
Speaker 2: No one talks about it because they feel bad about it. But that's real, Like just because it's your DNA, there are people in your family that you don't like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it happens.
Speaker 2: Just because you're related, doesn't mean that you have to like each other.
Speaker 5: And I also think with babies, especially there constantly and it's just a function of their nature. They're constantly taking right, like that is who they have to be for the first year to two years of their life. They don't give a lie.
Speaker 1: I was like, eighteen years, yes, go on, sure, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm hopeful that this changes, but apparently it does.
Speaker 3: It they just thirty to forty years. Yes, God, but.
Speaker 4: After you're gone, after you're gone, they will stand on their own.
Speaker 5: Stand it right now, They're just gonna steal rings from your gravesite after you're gone.
Speaker 2: It's so funny you say that, because I was like, if you want to have a kid and you've dated someone who is useless, you'll be able to have a kid because you're just taking care of someone that doesn't do anything for you. And that's what it's like, especially in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I always ask, especially any new dad, did you feel just like hella useless in the beginning because it was all your wife.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you you feel like a loser when every time the baby needs something, you got to be like, hey, the baby, the baby crying, the baby don't like me no more.
Speaker 3: You got to fix it.
Speaker 5: But I will say that that the triumph when you finally reach that triumphant moment of being able to put your kid to sleep on your own without liking anyone else. Jumping in is fucking huge once you start learning like rhythmic things that like even like there are things I can do for my daughter that my wife can't, and.
Speaker 3: That's like, all right, yeah, I'm doing something now.
Speaker 5: I cannot sustain her life and I thank her every day for keeping her alive. But you know, when it comes to making her laugh, I got this.
Speaker 3: You're the playmate. You're the playmate.
Speaker 5: I'm hilarious to this baby and I'll take that every day.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh I love that. See, I can do it all.
Speaker 2: You know, nobody wants to follow my alphabet because it's giving.
Speaker 3: She's got her own. You're the homie. Then the day is made when you're around.
Speaker 5: Is that I'm a fun hang and then I dip off because the responsibility has to kick in for everyone else.
Speaker 2: Jordan told me, like, I don't even remember when you said this, probably like when debate before they were born. I don't remember, but he was like, as a parent, you have to learn how to parent yourself.
Speaker 3: Mmmm, tell me more. Absolutely, go home, bro, that kind of stuff. You know.
Speaker 4: Let's say you're out, it could even be five and people are like, let's go get some drinks at the thank thing and you're like, well, you know, I probably shouldn't because my mate's not doing that. So rather than tell her, you know that I did this with these people while you were stuck with baby, I'm gonna just go home like that kind of thinking of your partner before your own needs for a while. And that's how it is for a while, but it's not forever. It's not forever, and especially in those early nascent moments and that period, it's gonna change. You'll see it changes, like you get your time back and you get a lot of your life back.
Speaker 1: And that's interesting because that's what it was like for you.
Speaker 2: But for me it was like, I gotta stop having my parents tell me their opinions because it's not absolute.
Speaker 1: Like I got this like, I'm the parent it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Do you have a picture of your baby?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'll show you my Screensavorite pictures are of her looking insane, because that's funnier to me.
Speaker 3: But this, yeah, this is nice.
Speaker 1: This is Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yo, drop it in the chat, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just a fat she's so squishy.
Speaker 1: She looks like your wife.
Speaker 3: She's healthy.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I'm making her jog as soon as the legs work.
Speaker 3: I love it. I'm joking.
Speaker 1: I will say, enjoy it.
Speaker 2: She's just about to start walking, and I say enjoy it while she's still crawling and stuff. Because my daughter walked at ten months, but she ain't just walking, she started running. I was like, you gotta come back. And then my son did not walk till he was a year and a half. So with twins, I'm caring. And he's like, he's the size of Bruno Mars right now and he's three and a half.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He's big, No shade to Bruno.
Speaker 3: I love he's a handsome little guy. Yeah that was a double takedown. I love it.
Speaker 1: Conto says, we don't talk about Bruno. I love to talk about Bruno. I love it.
Speaker 3: Bruno's my Beyonce.
Speaker 5: I love Bruno Mars right, he's I saw him in concert on on Molly and it was truly one of the more euphoric moments of my life.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, did it make you want to buy a wig and a gold chain?
Speaker 3: I thought I had one on the entire time? Did you want to call out to Julio the whole time?
Speaker 1: Get the whips?
Speaker 3: What in the Morris Day is happening with this guy? He just found his wave.
Speaker 5: He was like, look, yell, ain't gonna call it appropriation If I funk with eineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: Three, black people's shit. Just that's where I'm gonna live.
Speaker 1: That's true, That's true. Yeah, what a dad?
Speaker 4: Laugh? Enjoy that baby fat because I love when a tyler like they look like they got a little beer belly, you know, oh and you could and then mouth breathe. They're like, she does do that?
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen that video of like this like a Thai baby that's smoking a cigarette?
Speaker 1: You haven't seen that baby.
Speaker 5: I have seen that video and it's heartbreaking but also real hilarious.
Speaker 1: A two year old hypertension.
Speaker 5: I will say that that one of the things that somebody told me that ended up being like super helpful, even when it just like first six months type shit is like as a dad, you should just change every diaper. And that was big for us because it was like, oh, she's crying in the middle of I And this would before back when we were stupid and we thought we had to change her every time she cried in the middle of the night. But like stuff like that, if I pop up and change the diaper, I've done what I can do, and then that allows my wife to then take on the responsibility of staying awake with the baby. But I've been good dad all the way through it, you know, I've helped, And that's that's huge.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, playing a role making making the other person not feel alone or like going through this alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think, especially as partners, because if you've been with each other for so long, you just feel like you know, but I think checking in and be like what do you need, Like, like what do you need me to do for you to feel comfortable relaxed resting is huge and like actually mean it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: There's an easy fix to a lot of stuff if you're being communicative inside of it. It's not always a comfortable fix, but it is an easy fix as long as you're sort of talking it through. But when you're not, it becomes like much more complex because now I'm resentful of the fact that you didn't ask or we didn't talk about this shit, and I had to do it by myself. And now it's stacking on top of each other and making things real messy for baby and everyone involved.
Speaker 2: Oh, the resentment can build real quick. Yeah, I have a question, what is the biggest misconception you think people have of not only comedians but black mail comedians.
Speaker 1: Mmmm?
Speaker 4: Who.
Speaker 5: That's tough because I think if I were to give an answer, it feels like a very nineteen ninety six answer.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: That like that I wasn't even born yet, But go ahead, I assure around.
Speaker 5: But you know, it used to be like, oh, we're all like humping stools and wearing big suits and running the stage. And now I feel like we've introduced more of.
Speaker 3: A nuanced approach to what.
Speaker 5: Can be We run the gamut now in a way that I don't necessarily know that I feel stereotyped.
Speaker 3: As often as as I.
Speaker 5: Guess a former version of this career probably did. I don't know, what do you guys think? Where where do you land in this geez?
Speaker 4: I think it's maybe like there's still a glass ceiling a little bit about what we can talk about. I love talking about like class stuff, and that just really gets people's booty holes puckered. And then I just feel like, once I start talking about race again, I'm like, ah, better, you know mm, I have noticed that. And if I stray and talk about things that are actually things that they don't expect me to talk about, then you know, it's it still feels as though like I'm getting an energy from the audience of like, we're just not sure that we can trust you with these jokes.
Speaker 3: Say in the box, yeah, in the box please. Yeah.
Speaker 5: There is still this want for black comics to sort of like it in staying in the box. It's also a little bit of like stay on the right side of what we consider to be like history or correct or whatever it is. And niggas get messy too, you know what I mean, Like we deserve the opportunity to go up there and be figure it out, uh problematic and weird, and they all figure it out, and yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Speaking to that, Like I think players, when I think of the way I hear people talk about black male comedians is like they're all going to be played, Like even if they are married with kids, it's like, well, they can't be I don't know why that.
Speaker 1: I get a lot.
Speaker 2: And then also I feel like we're just supposed to be happy all the time. Oh yeah, happy all the time, like even if it's just like running into you at a line or just like just do the thing, you know what I mean, like make the joke, say the thing, you know, it's like happy clown, like do that shit.
Speaker 1: That's what I feel like sometimes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say that that Black people as artists, I feel like, need to be in the eyes of the.
Speaker 3: Public showmen, show people in a.
Speaker 5: Way that I don't think is always asked of our white counterparts, right that, like the show can never cease with us, otherwise we are unlikable or difficult or whatever the fuck. Whereas like if a white dude is just sitting around grumpy, we recognize that it as like, oh, he's a complex individual with like layers and nuanced and it's like, nah, that's just a me motherfucker man, some of the shit you're just like giving grace to and not the other way around.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yo, I feel like I feel like this.
Speaker 4: Sometimes people love your rhythm but hate your blues, right, and that happens a lot a lot with black male comics or black people in general. The second that you get deep or the second that you do is stop down, it's like everybody's butthole puckers and you're like, come on now, y'all, Like I was just entertaining you for the past what umpteen minutes, and now I just want to say one real thing, and y'all are like.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I can see the strings at the puppet.
Speaker 4: Show, you know, like it's like I'm not I can't spoon feed you forever. I want to have some I want to get something out of this experience as well. But it's not gonna stop me. Yeah it has, like it's made me afraid, but it hasn't like stopped me.
Speaker 3: And it's okay, you know, It's like it's all right.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, it feels like just straight up pandering because it's like I'm working on my shit too.
Speaker 1: I just happen to be doing it. In front of you guys, right, so just enjoy the bits that you did laugh at.
Speaker 2: But I'm a real ass fucking human being with experiences, so let me fucking do this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think in that way, uh, there is in the grander conversation where I having there, there is sort of a want to remain inhuman for the audience, right that as long as we don't start making human connection and we remain funny and entertaining. And maybe that's just a fault of comedy in general. Is like they don't want us to be human beings. They want us to be, like you said, silly clowns. And then at some point they go, I that's too fucking human.
Speaker 3: For my taste. I'm not having fun anymore.
Speaker 5: And the dance is really figuring out a way to get these motherfuckers to accept us as human as we want to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like whoever's listening to this, whoever needs this, I don't like, whoever does this, just fucking stop and chill.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember when Lizzo stop and show it's too much. You're like, it's like, are you the police of everybody's fucking emotions? Like I remember when Lizzo posted that she was working out and everyone's like, oh, no, she's working out. It's like, yeah, bitch, cholesterol, Like she's still gonna be thick and beautiful. Like the fact that even if you're not even in the public eye or have the experience on stage to like clap back at someone, that people still have the desire the need to tell you what they think. It's fucking wild, and like we are all raising kids in a time where they have to think for themselves in real life and then also on internet, and that's fucking crazy. That's again one more job that I didn't want to have to fucking do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think even to that, like I thinking about the Lizo shit, it's like all right, even if she was working out, just truly because she like was like, yo, I don't want this figure anymore. Whatever goals change, sense of self changes, and that's okay. It's perfectly normal for a human being to be like, hey, I woke up today and I want to be different. And I think we've reached a weird space in society where we go no, bitch, you pick your position, you stay exactly as you are as the big girl that tworks with flutes and she's like, yo, I don't even want to play flute no more. I just I just want to read and grow bananas or whatever the fuck Lizzo's planning to do next.
Speaker 4: Adele was able to do it though. Adele I went from her plus size down to where she is.
Speaker 3: But they got mad at Adele for that shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but she got through it. I feel like she got through it. I am now like I'll be like, oh yeah, Adele was like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she dropped an amazing album to follow it.
Speaker 2: She got divorced, She dropped the Weight drop an album, and then dropped her ass on some black Dick and people were like, okay, right, she had a journey.
Speaker 5: I'm here, you've got a lot going on, sister. We're gonna let you see this through. Ah, we'll talk when you're on the other side.
Speaker 3: You clearly got some shit. You're you're operating through a blueprint.
Speaker 2: We get questions from our audience members about adulting, and we'd.
Speaker 1: Like to ask you some Is that cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there's so many good ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, this one was just get out of the way, because I think it's important nobody ever talks about it.
Speaker 1: It's entertaining but also annoying.
Speaker 2: Somebody, one of our listeners wants to know should I get a vanity license plate?
Speaker 3: Oh? Should I answer first? Or do you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say uh, I'm gonna say yes, you should.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: Here's here's why.
Speaker 5: My first instinct is to say no, that's loser behavior. Don't you dare do that? But but I think if I'm really thinking it through, if that's something that makes you feel whole as a person, if it truly is gonna fill a void in your life, then you just get that vanity license plate. Now, if you get it and that hole still sits there, you gotta go to therapy. You gotta self reflect because you made a big choice and it didn't solve your problems. But I say go for it. If this is a gap that you feel missing in your person.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we had a microphone, we drop it. They're too expensive. They're podcasting. I love it, but that we don't need to follow. Oh sorry, we gotta follow. We got two fingers and.
Speaker 1: A follow up.
Speaker 4: I just want to ask what go around and ask what your vanity plates to be?
Speaker 1: Oh man?
Speaker 2: I think Mom would be like be yourself or some shit, you know what I mean, or like be beautiful or like something about boot something about booty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I do something real stupid, which is why I know I'm not supposed to. Like I would get like it would say like not Cisco's car or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's like, what did you do that for?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: You spent how much money to make it clear that this isn't Cisco's car? What's wrong?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No? Next question?
Speaker 2: My daughter went to her father's house, my ex, for the weekend, and I found out that his girlfriend cut my daughter's hair.
Speaker 1: I didn't expect that shit.
Speaker 2: Now I'm having some Okay, Well, she said it was more than a trim, and I did not give her permission.
Speaker 1: What do I do?
Speaker 3: What do I do? Oh? You murder that lady.
Speaker 4: You cannot advocate, cannot say that.
Speaker 5: Okay, you confront that lady and you demand that she grow your daughter's hair back, because.
Speaker 3: That's the same. That is truly wild. How dare you?
Speaker 1: That is some trifling shit right there? I cannot believe.
Speaker 4: I think it's a never again. I think it's like a never again. Like, Okay, you've done this. There's no un baking the cake. Yeah, the next time, ask my permission. Okay, I'm not coming in that nice. I'm not coming in that nice. It's not her kids. She did not grow the kids, she not have the kid. She is not the kid's mother.
Speaker 2: She's not allowed to see she's not allowed to be over there when ex girl, we're girlfriend's there anymore?
Speaker 1: Period. For me, co parenting is hard. Parenting together when you love someone is hard.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you're not together and don't see I this is some trifling bullshit. Why doesn't one of her kids come over to my house now it's me and then I give them a tattoo?
Speaker 5: I mean like that, Okay, you can cut my daughter's there, but I get to tattoo your child.
Speaker 3: I love that, Michelle. I love how you clenched there.
Speaker 2: You're just like you know why because I like, I had this moment with my husband. So I was filming Firstwaf's Club in Atlanta for three months. When I came back, baby boy's hair was cut, and I'm like, that is his crown?
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 2: And we had because my husband's white, we had a whole less conversation of what it means to have hair makes hair, And I was like, this is important for different reasons, and then he was like, didn't even think about it. I'm like, you're bald and you know what to bean, Like why would you and so? And that's a conversation with somebody that I love.
Speaker 5: I just don't think you can this can be that peaceful because this person is still going to be around your child and clearly doesn't function from the instinct of respect and care from the beginning. So like, whatever this is, you gotta there's got to be a little smoke here. It can't just be a polite conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell your lawyer you're trying to roll up on him. Liston. Yeah, no, I'm beating knees, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, that's unacceptable, you guys, This is a really important question.
Speaker 1: I think the guys should answer.
Speaker 3: Oh, I really hate to swallow?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Do I have to?
Speaker 2: I really hate to swallow? Do I have to? Is it bad not to swallow?
Speaker 3: Ooh? Are we talking about mathwash?
Speaker 5: Don't swallow your Mouthwise, that's not a good don't swallow listine.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is from a male or female.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't think that matters. I think I think the rule is still the rule.
Speaker 1: What's the rule?
Speaker 4: Some people want you to gargle the listerine, some people want you to spit it back up. But let me tell you something. Oh god, I have no judgments either.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 3: Can we not have an adult conversation about this?
Speaker 1: Yes? We can.
Speaker 5: Here's what I'll say. I'm thirty five years old. Yes, if there is a lady, a person in my life who ain't swallowing, you're out of here, sister, get beats, hit the road.
Speaker 3: We're all doing stuff we don't like. Hit the bricks, sister, You're done here.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I respectfully disagree Lngston. I feel as though that moment, at those heightened moments of organs, I feel like it's it's okay for you know, like maybe you don't want to take somebody's sweet sausage in the in the mouth, you know, and just like I think it's I think it's all right, you know, I think it's all right. I think it's like spray another way, because there's sometimes I hear it untaste great.
Speaker 1: You know you haven't tasted yours?
Speaker 3: No, no, never tasted my funky sponge.
Speaker 5: You should why it's grossed.
Speaker 1: It's from your body.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like sticking their fingers and holes and licking it and being like, oh my god, I'm tasting myself.
Speaker 1: You should taste yourself.
Speaker 6: No, that's that's a very charming thing for a lady to do. That's a fucking grotesque thing for a man. That's like coy fun for a play for a lady.
Speaker 3: That is ghoulish behavior for a man. All right, I'm sure it's winter green and fresh.
Speaker 2: By the way, I don't think you need to swallow. If you don't like to swallow, don't thank you. Yeah, I say, you can't have the sixes up the nine. So why are we even trying to suck a dry unless you had an orgasm? Did you have an orgasm?
Speaker 1: First?
Speaker 2: Make sure you sit on his face or figure out how to get you before you do that. Maybe if he fucking gives you what orgasm first, then you'd be like willing to swallow if we're really going to get into it.
Speaker 5: WHOA, Okay, so I hadn't considered this possibility. I did not consider the possibility that the reason this person is not swallowing is because they are unsatisfied on their own end. That's if that's the case, maybe reason then my apologies to you.
Speaker 3: You deserve to come. That said, if you come, you better swallow that nut. Swallow that nut. You got your side of it, now, swallow that goddamn nut.
Speaker 2: I am so sorry and glad that I asked this question.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of both.
Speaker 3: I think we have time for one more question.
Speaker 1: We have time for one more.
Speaker 4: Let me ask a pretty serious one, and it's definitely on the same topic. How much should I be saving for my kids college education?
Speaker 5: WHOA, oh, I don't frankly no, Yeah, my daughter hasn't reached a year yet, so I'm not one hundred percent sure you're not saving yet we are saving? How dare you worth saving? I think a better way of approaching it is more like ties for the church, right. You should think more in terms of percentage of like what you can give, rather than obligating yourself to a lump sum that may feel like it's putting you underwater in an unfair way.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The thing is is like save what you can see what kind of kid you have first? You might not have a kind of kid that needs to go to school, they could do something else. You might have the kind of kid that is so smart they can get some sort of scholarship. So I say, get to know your kid first before you start figuring out where they should go to school.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, especially in these days and times when tuition is going up. I will say that you can, of course register for a five twenty nine college plan. They have them in various states, and you get tax deferment and tax deduction using these plan, so it's like having a cueon. I think the maximum you can put in each account in New York State is fifteen thousand per child, and so you'll get a rebate on your taxes for that.
Speaker 3: But then also outside.
Speaker 4: Of that, I was just reading this really great book called The Price of Admission by Daniel Golden. He talks all about how the college game is rigged. And one thing that people do definitely gets a lot of white students in is play sports that are what are called country club sports now. That might be sailing, rowing, things like squash, and there are actually now inner city programs for squash and rowing. And if you have a black child that is interested in rowing or squash, two things you can do in the city and there are programs for them. Then they give you an actual bump wherein you could get a full on scholarship at a college of your choice.
Speaker 3: Woa oh, I love.
Speaker 1: It when he gets Corey Booker on that ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, sorde on, let me put my glasses on. Let me put my glasses on, so you believe me. There you go.
Speaker 5: I said, you know what I was gonna say. The world is ending in college won't exist soon, so fuck it. But no, I think I think Jordan's right.
Speaker 3: Do what he said.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's a beautiful book.
Speaker 3: I recommend it highly.
Speaker 4: So you just see what the whites are doing, see what the rich whites are doing, and then copy that shit racketball baby.
Speaker 1: One d see what's the rich white to do? Copy? Okay, Langston.
Speaker 2: We ask every guest of ours, what's the most adult thing you want to do for yourself?
Speaker 1: This sear that you haven't been able to do yet.
Speaker 5: I need to and I already know immediately I need to start stretching.
Speaker 3: I don't stretch very often.
Speaker 5: I exercise far more than I stretch, and it's eventually going to catch up to me and something is going to blow up in my body, so I gotta stretch if I don't.
Speaker 2: Y'all can't see this because it's a podcast, But Lenggston meant that shit because he was giving me Obama fingers, you know what I mean, like when he was doing a speech, Obama fingers, who meant it? So please go get your downward dog and your son's salutation.
Speaker 5: Distretch And now I'm gonna sing a little ol Green to send us home.
Speaker 2: Yay, it's so fun to see you friend, see you in person one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, when I get to La I love to I'm gonna hit you up.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's hang. I'd love that.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm tired. It's not for an edible Bye.
Speaker 3: We did it.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. You know what I love.
Speaker 2: I love when podcast hangs feels like a friend's giving where you do a proper ass check in and then also recap all the crazy shit we've done in the last like five to ten years. For sure, do it because the last two and.
Speaker 1: A half years have been bullshit, right, so we might as well.
Speaker 2: Just like Reminisce, Like for a while, Instagram became the ultimate TBT. You're just like, well, I ain't doing shit, but I did do this one year.
Speaker 3: I know, I can't believe that y'all did.
Speaker 4: Like that is awesome that you got to have that adventure in Vancouver together.
Speaker 3: And it kind of shows that something.
Speaker 4: I miss about film and television is the socialization that we just don't have quite back yet, you know what I'm saying, Like it's not there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 4: And it was an adventure and it was like what we do, making comedy, making making laughs at its best, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does feel like when you can do comedy and film TV shows and films safely, you know, in between takes, it's like contagion, you know what I mean. You're just hasn't had to eating your peanut butter and jelly with like rubber gloves. But it is nice that we could still connect. And I just say, I don't know, y'all call a friend that you have a good memory of that you haven't talked to in a while, and just reminisce on that one drunken night that you guys try to get into a strip club in Vancouver and got denied. You know, it's like that was fun then, it's still fun now, just do.
Speaker 3: It and this is what happens when you smoke Seth Rogan's blood. You know this is it?
Speaker 1: You better start that rumor yet again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, By everyone.
Speaker 3: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is Natalie Wrinn.
Speaker 3: Senior Managing Producer is Hannah Kyle Kraign.
Speaker 1: This episode was sound design.
Speaker 3: And engineered by Ryobomb.
Speaker 1: Our guest booker is Patrick Cotner.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by DJ Donwell.
Speaker 1: Photography by Chris vander.
Speaker 3: Most, artwork by Jamie Bechtel.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Karen Kilgarrett, Georgia Hartstart and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 3: Follow the show on Instagram at Adulting the Pot.
Speaker 2: Email your questions to Adulting Questions at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm