Speaker 1: Go west, young man. I don't want to. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm so before we get to that. Man of scale was mean to me this morning. I mean mean, I don't know it thinks I stole. I don't know if it thinks it's I stole its wife or or something. But the scale is so mean to me, brutal. I wonder if it has anything to do with going to Denny's in the middle of the night the other night after taking the dog to the vet, or the fact that I had ice cream twice. The funny thing about the scale is it's just I mean, it's so reality based obviously, and and this weird sense that I have that I can, you know, slip one by the scale somehow. You know, I'll eat this one. Really shouldn't eat this sort of thing, right, Just pull a fast one. Yeah, I'll pull a fast one. Scale won't notice.
Speaker 3: It's so hilarious, it's yeah, and it never works.
Speaker 1: The whole vacation thing.
Speaker 3: You know, calories don't count all or you know it's been stressful and it'll be fine. I mean, because it was a stressful day.
Speaker 1: I'm a plate whatever screw.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get a new scale. Throw this one in the trash and get a new one. Gives me better numbers. Although, like Trump did with the Bureau Labor Statistics, Lady, I don't like these numbers. I'm gonna get a different scale. It gives me better numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're fired.
Speaker 3: I'll just keep going through scales. You got a stack of them out back, rusting in the rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: We're talking about that. The other day.
Speaker 2: They said in their family, they have a bunch of scales in the uh bathroom because members of the family have some sort of wearable that communicates with the scale, and to make it simple, they just each have their own scale. So they got like four scales in the bathroom. And he said, if he doesn't get a good number on his scale, sometimes he gets on a different one to see if it's better.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a lot of clutter, unless you got an enormous bathroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah huh.
Speaker 3: So mentioned during the radio show today that the number of Americans who move to pursue a better gig is dropped to like the all time low as far as anybody can tell. And I made reference to an article we'd talked about.
Speaker 1: It had to be at least.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was a long time ago about how progressive froze the American dream in the Atlantic, and it talked about how nobody's moving like we used to as a people, and it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: It's long. It's the Atlantic, of course.
Speaker 3: But all sorts of different quotes from historians and observers of the American scene, and the one thing that strikes everybody is how mobile we are, and how you don't grow up in the same village your family's been in for two hundred and fifty years and you never leave there, and anybody who comes there is viewed with great suspicion because what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: This is our village? And how America is not like that at all.
Speaker 2: No, it never has been up until now, I guess, but it's funny. It just popped into my head. One of them, not one of the number one thing I don't like about the fact that I came from a moving family as a kid and now as an adult is the lack of other family being around. I didn't grow up near cousins and grandparents. My kids aren't growing up nearing cousins and grandparents. And I see other people that have that in their lifestyle and look so awesome. But we're not getting married and having kids, and people seem to care less about family than they ever have. So the moving hasn't stopped because of that. It's got to be other reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also worth pointing out.
Speaker 3: I know more than one person who is driven completely insane by the proximity of their family and the need to deal with them on a regular basis, whether they like to or not, because you can't choose your family.
Speaker 2: I hear those complaints, but I gotta believe over all the upside to be better than the downside.
Speaker 3: Depends who you ask, but yeah, I see your point. So this is one of my favorite parts about this article. Then I'll get to the main thing that I wanted to bring to you. But when ceaseless migration, I'm sorry, the ceaseless migration that we have shaped a new way of thinking. When the mobility of populations was always so great, the historian Carl Becker observed, the strange face, the odd speech, the curious custom of dress, and the unaccustomed religious faith ceased to be a matter of comment or concern, and as people live to learn to live alongside one another, the possibilities of pluralism or something like it. Open The term stranger in other lands synonymous with enemy instead, wrote Becker wrote, became a common form of friendly salutation. This is the only nation in the world that would say something like County stranger.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true. Yeah, interesting.
Speaker 1: I thought that was kind of cool in a way.
Speaker 3: But anyway, the main reason I wanted to bring this up is the concept of moving Day. And again, we talked about this months and months ago, but the great American holiday, the great holiday of American society at its most nomadic, was Moving Day, observed by renters and landlords throughout the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth. And it's funny, there's a nickname for Saturday on the PGA tour. It's moving Day because you try to get higher in the standings whatever. But and I've always heard that expression, but I've never known what it meant. Really, So nineteenth and twentieth century Moving Day was a festival of new hopes and beginnings, of shattered dreams and shattered crockery, as a Chicago newspaper put it in eighteen eighty two, quite as recognized today as Christmas or the fourth of July. It was primarily an urban holiday, although many rural communities where least farms predominated, held their own observances. The dates differed from state to state and city to city. It's April first in Pittsburgh, October first in Nashville and New Orleans.
Speaker 1: But May first was the most popular, and.
Speaker 3: Nothing quite so astonished visitors from a boa abroad as the spectacle of thousands upon thousands of people picking up and swapping homes on a single day.
Speaker 2: I assume everybody has the same question to me, why did that happen? I mean, why, how did everybody agree that we're going to move on the same day?
Speaker 3: It just it came to me exactly, leases just landlords. I mean, there's an obvious incentive for having all of your potential renters be available on the same day that your current renters depart.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I know. I live in a college town. That's the way it is now. As a renter, that's exactly the way it is. You go whatever it is like next week is when the college kids come to town and the leases start. And that's just the way it is every year.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I live in a resortee place and Saturday mornings outbound when all the condos and timeshares and hotels empty, is crazy traffic. And Saturday afternoon inbound is crazy because everybody's showing up to do their renolds. But if I'm renting a condo out it's perfect. Everybody knows it's Saturday, check out at eleven, check in at four or whatever. And so that's what evolved. Because we were such immobile people, huge percentages of people moved every day. And I've got those numbers around here somewhere. It's you know, again, it's a very long article with the numbers kind of spread here hither and yon. But so it just came to be that moving day was the day everybody moved in whatever city. For months before moving day, Americans prepared for the tenants, gave notice lit the landlords or received word of.
Speaker 1: The new rent.
Speaker 3: Then followed a frenzied period of house hunting as people, generally women, scouted for a new place to live that would in some respect improve upon the old quote. They want more room, or they want as much room for less rent, or they want a better location, or they want some convenience. Not heretofore enjoyed the Topeka Daily capital summarized. There were months of general anticipation. Cities and towns were alive with excitement. Then early on the day itself, people commenced moving everything they owned down to the street corners in great piles of barrels and crates and carpet bags, vacating houses and apartments before the new renters arrived. Be out at twelve you must for another family. Are on your heels. Uh blah blah blah. And my god, we were so much more illiterate back in the days, and Thermapalae was a very tame pass compared with the excitement with trieses when two families meet in the same hall in Brooklyn, Minutter warned. Then the car men driving their wagons and dreys through the narrow roads exchanged charged extortion at rates, lashing mattresses and furnishings atop other heaps of goods, and careening through the streets to complete as many runs as they could before nightfall, and treasure hunters picked up the detreatise in the gutters as stuff fell off the wagons. Utility companies scrambled to register all the changes. Dusk found families that had made local moves, settling into their new homes, unpacking belongings and meeting the neighbors.
Speaker 2: Joe and I have both come from moving families, moved a lot of as adults. Katie, did you or all your relatives around?
Speaker 3: My relatives not all of my relatives were around, but we stayed in the same town for thirty two years of my life.
Speaker 2: This, see, that's unimaginable to me. Yeah, I mean, I just can't even picture what it would be like, Michael, I know you've stayed in the same spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much like Katie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody knows everything and you can't go to the grocery store without seeing somebody, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, which is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I had a girlfriend years ago who she had everybody was in the same area, and she would talk about, oh boy, here comes fall because for whatever reason, there were lots of like cousins with birthdays and anniversaries, and there's just like eight weekends in a row where everybody was expected to be at Grandma's house because it's somebody's birthday or anniversary or something. It just like took up two months and she was trying to decide whether she wanted to tell her parents, you know, I'm not going to do all of them this year. I think. I think I just can't because it was kind of expected that everybody showed up for everybody's birthday and I didn't. I don't have that at all in my life. And you know, for better or worse, and a lot of it I think is worse. I wish, I wish my kids would have been able to be around cousins and stuff a lot that, But I am raising my kids certainly with the idea of if you can't find the job you want here, and you probably can't go to where it is.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So back in nineteen oh six, for instance, over a five year span, this is in Saint Louis, Greater Saint Louis. Over a five year span, eighty percent of local families would have changed addresses.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they might have stayed in the same metro area or the same county or whatever, but they would move.
Speaker 2: That's a completely different lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a different world in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: And actually, the point of this article, which is an opportunity to take a shot at progressives, which you may recall from the first time we discussed that was in New York City, and like the sixties and seventies, progressives came into neighborhoods and decided this should be preserved just as it is. We can't lose the quaint character of this neighborhood. And America would say, yeah, we want to update it, we want to improve it, we want to tear down what is not efficient and build what is efficient, and do what we've always done as a country.
Speaker 1: But the progressive said, no, we can't do that.
Speaker 3: That's ugly and blah blah blah, and that is what caused a lot of the shortages of housing in our cities. And you know, it's true, and they make a really, really good case, and it is the nimby nature of lefties and how they fall in love with a particular look. Never mind that that neighborhood didn't look like that twenty years before, because that wasn't the right use for that neighborhood. They didn't need as many you know, shops and boutiques they needed whatever, and twenty years from now they'll need completely different stuff. So why are you freezing it in amber? Well, because it's sweeten I live here, and I want to protect my property value. At the same time, somebody once said to me they were talking about Rome, and they said, yeah, we tear down our colosseums, so nobody, no future civilization will ever visit our colisseums because we just tear them down and build something new, which is better.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You win with the comment that everything was very different back in nineteen oh six.
Speaker 3: It was very very different. Computers were very slow, no Wi Fi at all. No Wi Fi was spotty at best. Coverage is spotty.
Speaker 1: The iPhone cameras were crap. They were like twelve pixels. Twelve pixels period. You guys want to see something cool.
Speaker 2: My wife and I ran into this yesterday, ironically, nineteen oh six San Francisco.
Speaker 3: They have footage of what it was like in San Francisco nineteen oh six.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is. If you've seen it slowed down and colorized, it's just incredible. Yeah. I love stuff like that. If you had a time machine, you could go back and just like walk around the street someplace, it be endlessly fascinating.
Speaker 3: Pick a new time like every week, do it a few times a year of course.
Speaker 2: She has scratched yourself on a rusty nail, and you'll be dead by the end of the day because there's no antibiotics.
Speaker 3: But eh, where's that she would have been more careful? Well, wait a minute, Wait a minute, wait a minute, No, there are no antibiotics.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: But if you had a technics shot, that would go with you to the other time, right right?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I don't know. How do time machines work. Do your vaccinations go with you in the time machine? I assume they.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure they do what I don't know, why would they? Well, something to think about. I guess that's it.