Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Meets Twirl, a podcast that began with Dancing with the Stars wandering through Castle Survived Beaches, spent an entire season debating the social hierarchy of cocktail parties. Along the way, Will and I riffed on what I thought was an entirely hypothetical observation, Maybe arranged marriage isn't the worst idea. Apparently our producers were listening. So now we're watching Married at First Sight season twenty, a show where complete strangers meet at the altars, say I do, and only then begin the awkward process of discovering whether they have anything whatsoever in common. We are Wilfordell, who loves love and believes marriage should be about the marriage, not the wedding, and Wright Strong, who loves love and made one observation about arranged marriage and is now being forced to defend it for an higher television season. Join us as experts, therapists, family members, and complete strangers all attempt the oldest social experiment in human history with confessionals. This is Pod Meats Twirled, All or Nothing? All right, well, Episode three, I feel like this is where the rubber beats the road.
Speaker 2: I don't think you none of them have. I was going to make a rubber joke forget it. You're right, it's fine.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is something that we haven't gotten the rubber stage yet or something, but you're.
Speaker 1: Right, it has no I feel like once because this episode we get past the actual wedding. Yeah, which is you know, I say it in the intro, but this is something you've always said, which is what you know. A lot of this wedding conversation which led to this season was based on In the City, where you felt that so many of the people on that show got married for the sake of having a wedding and not because.
Speaker 4: They were actually on a wedding a marriage, stay married, right, And so I feel like this episode was eye opening for me because it made me realize, like, oh, oh, we're gonna get like because it has been so much about the wedding so far, the actual day, which and it still is for most of some of this episode.
Speaker 3: But then we turn up the heat. Then in the road, Jesus.
Speaker 1: My god, I'm so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I love how In the City made me uncomfortable, not you uncomfortable, And this makes you uncomfortable and not me uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. I wonder why. We'll have to figure out why that is.
Speaker 1: I think, I don't know, Like, yeah, it's like the steaks. The lack of steaks made me more comfortable, I think, and make you feel like why are we doing?
Speaker 2: But it also maybe just people fighting all the time made me very like like yeah, right, it made ancious.
Speaker 3: So we're this I'm just I'm in fully in again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I'm so uncomfortable. I want people to Yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Should be running bets every week.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we are not like a bookie uh station, where it's like, all right, six to week, we're six to one Nicky and Sean. We are we we had three to two against Devin and Caitlin. Like, let's start betting on which one of these couples is gonna stay together?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we found out two episodes ago that we they have an eighteen percent ess rate, So that means what if you round that up to twenty percent, that's a one in five chance round it.
Speaker 3: That's awful. It's like, yeah, it's so much terrible.
Speaker 1: So how many couples are there?
Speaker 3: Eight three, four, five, six seven seven.
Speaker 1: Seven seven seven. Really, only one or two of this season are going to I.
Speaker 2: Bet you one or two are gonna make it and stay married past the show. And only one of those couples is still going to be married in a year.
Speaker 1: Not a single couple, not a single couple from season nineteen.
Speaker 2: States producer just said, then, they literally had exactly the same track record as you and I did oft of setting those people up last year. Oh my, we we we were. We weren't even involved that we had zero percent. They didn't all and they were zero zero percent.
Speaker 3: How do you not? Were these the same matchmakers Mattie from last year?
Speaker 2: The same, the same uh, doctor Paz and everybody else.
Speaker 1: I don't believe Paul was because he was on the UK version.
Speaker 3: Okay, because maybe they you'd have to fight.
Speaker 2: I mean again, if you have a basketball coach that goes oh for seven in games, you fire that coach. So if you've got two matchmakers that are together that don't, not a single couple stays together, get rid of those matchmakers would be what I would say.
Speaker 1: I say, I mean, this is like the Supreme Court. More of the marrier. I think we need to pass. I agree, we need like a yes there should be ten matchmakers. They should like, what are we doing? I agree, Like, only more expertise would be more people wa tribunals.
Speaker 2: Like we should see the tables around. Were like, no, this person should go with this person.
Speaker 3: What are we doing? I agree?
Speaker 5: Yes? All right?
Speaker 1: Episode three picking up with Nicky and Sean at the altar and this horrible, horribly painful where either she is just not feeling it or I think she literally does not realize he is the room until she has to really like they say it, meet your groom, and then she like literally, I think she it's like invisible, like he's just invisible to her because he's so not attractive.
Speaker 2: You could kind of see the soul of her body a little bit, and it was like, oh no, yes, I didn't think I thought she was joking, but now the more that you're saying it, maybe she wasn't, which is just terrible.
Speaker 1: No. I think she literally was like, oh, I'm ready now, so I just stand here like she thought he couldn't possibly be here yet, because this guy is just a dude in in a suit. It's not like if he dressed more in a tux, like if he had a black talks on. I think every indication was that he was like the help or like because of the color of his outfit and the fact that he just did not register for her.
Speaker 2: She might also have thought to herself, and again not incorrectly, Hey, I stressed to the matchmakers that I wanted somebody six foot.
Speaker 1: But then she also said, but I'll take it right.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, so she like, what do you remember from time? And it's not even like you gave me somebody five ten or five nine when I asked for six foot fifty six, which is not a not a big guy.
Speaker 3: I mean that.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's why she's like, well, can't possibly they couldn't have possibly something with this guy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, maybe you're right, and she really didn't know.
Speaker 1: I think, oh no, dude, And I think, you know, I think it's one of these things like because I have I know, you know, I have friends who are shorter, and I think that it's one of those things like women don't consciously realize how much how important, you know, Like they will often say like, oh no, I'm totally open to it, but unless they've like already dated a short guy or literally said the phrase short came you know, like if they're like conscious of it, you can. But if you haven't really thought about it and you just always dated taller guys, it doesn't occur to you.
Speaker 2: I think it's also in proportion though, meaning like cam in Michelle don't look like they're in proportion. He's so much taller than her, and you had this. You have the same thing with with with Adam, where it's like, okay, you want somebody six five, that's great, you look funny together, like sorry you do. Whereas you're five eight, I'm five to nine. But our wives are shorter, but in proportion to us, Like we're still the taller guys in the relationship. We're not towering anything, but our wives are smaller. So it looks okay together. Whereas you get these people. I'm sorry, but the Cameron and Michelle, it looked uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: It looked odd, whereas Nikki and Sean, frankly, they kind of look like they go together. I don't think she feels that way.
Speaker 1: But it looked right. I know, all right. He starts. She gives her speech first, and I thought she did pretty good. She seems to recover and sort of get into it. He then gives his and emphasizes his ambition, his hard work. He says, he's bought two of everything up until this moment, and my question.
Speaker 2: Is what things I would imagine two from my from my own perspective, it's action figures because you take you keep one in the packaging and you can play with the other one.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what he's talking about. He's like, and it's a nice sentiment. He's like, I've bought two of everything planning for this moment, two of what, two apartments sets of sheets? I don't know. All right, Well, then they give a little kiss, and he asks, which is nice?
Speaker 3: Can I give you a little kiss?
Speaker 1: It does little kiss, But this is the beginning of the progression of his like physical stuff, which is then we get a jump the broom moment, which is so cool. I love this.
Speaker 3: What is this tradition?
Speaker 1: It's an African American tradition. It goes back to It goes back to slave times when people would have to get married in secret, probably in secret, so they created their own ceremony, which was you jumped the broom as a couple to signify that you've gone from one side. So it's like a pure African American tradition, and I'd heard about it, but I've never seen it, and I just love how beautiful, the gorgeous, just like this whole deck.
Speaker 2: So she said it's supposed to resemble crossing the threshold. Okay, so like you've gone from what's your own threshold?
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was nice.
Speaker 2: It's nice to see see that the kind of cultural differences that can happen in marriage.
Speaker 1: And I love that she recognizes it. As his mom brings in, it's like, oh cool.
Speaker 3: His mom, by the way, who looked like superhero? Did you see her?
Speaker 1: She looked like her? So cool?
Speaker 3: She looks She seriously looked like a superhero.
Speaker 1: Was awesome. I know she was cool. Then they're walking away and he's like, oh, give you a give you some handspace, and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, thank you. I was like, oh shit, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's like, okay, little little break.
Speaker 3: I'm already seeing where this is going to go.
Speaker 1: By the way, I know, she brings up that she's a sabio sexual again, hoping she's hoping that his mind.
Speaker 3: Is trying to convince herself down.
Speaker 1: They start talking. They are both smart, which I really like. I love the way they talked each other. But is that the thing? This is where he corrects that he is an educational doctor, not a medical doctor. Dude, you say, this's like.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, you know, doctor doctor Sean. Yeah, I mean that you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't start with doctor if you have a PhD or a doctor and I'm sorry, you do not.
Speaker 1: You don't do it.
Speaker 2: Maybe if you're a professor and you're in you're standing in front of your students and you're teaching psychology or something like that, then yes you can be doctor whatever, but don't.
Speaker 3: You can introduce yourself that way.
Speaker 1: And I like actually that the show didn't clarify that until this moment because it puts us in her shoes a little bit because it was I was shocked. I was like, wait what because when she was either talking about epinephrine and adrenaline, I was like, and she says like, oh, well you're a doctor, so you know all these terms. I was like, yeah, he should. And then he's like no, no, no, no, I'm gonna I'm like, oh, I felt her. Of course I was also appointed. Anyway, he is very very smart. She is very smart. I like them individually, I am not feeling their connection. It's a bummer. But I also there's part of me that thinks this is a reality show, that thinks that they're gonna do this, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: We're specific we put together that no were they're.
Speaker 1: Going to tilt the story, yeah, early in the season, so that there's a journey certainly possible. There's part of me that thinks that the journey, the story of Nicky and Sean is going to be that despite the odds, they actually I told you I would love that dude.
Speaker 2: The season one, one of the first couples you meet is this tall, incredibly goofy guy who is drenched in sweat, and when I mean drenched, I mean comically drenched in sweat.
Speaker 3: Standing at there at the front of the stage.
Speaker 2: Albert Brooks yes in broadcast as she can, and she walks in and she's stunning, I mean, like a model. They get married, she runs out basically in tears. They're still together this day and have kids. It's like that, so you never know, you but it was.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping that that's the art with these two because I really like them, and yes, like honestly, of the people on the show, these are the people I would probably like to sit and have a conversation. Maybe not Sean so much.
Speaker 3: Well thank you.
Speaker 2: I felt that way because by the end with Sean he was saying some stuff that was a little cringey.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's all yes, right, And so it's all because of it's cringey because it's not landing.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: If if he was like with a woman who was like, sixty nine, let's go, it would be like, cool, you found your match. But it's but I actually think as a person he's pretty great, like raised religious to it as confident, he's confident. So like I I think like, of all the people on the show, these are the two that I would like have dinner with separately and be like, I like the person. I want to talk to them more. But to god, they're they're making me.
Speaker 2: But I also feel like it's that thing where if the exact things he was saying about sixty nine and all that stuff and he was six foot two and gorgeous, she would have giggled and me like, oh stop, you know what I mean, as opposed to like ill, So yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be this could be wrong. This could be wrong.
Speaker 1: All right, then do we meet Caitlin and Devon. He's immediately hiking, and his first quote about himself is most people think of a bag, which it's like, it's quite as Devon. I did too, because they do look like a huge bag. You're a rugby. I love this the anti Adam. This is the anti atom because he's all the same things in the sense that his presentation, he cares about sports and his looks, and he's got the frosted dips and all the things, and yet he's aware and he's able to see might think I'm a douchebag, but I'm not, and I'm like, good for you, dude.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, he sees his he and his future partner paddle boarding, hiking, her sitting between his legs on a mountaintop.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: He needs someone who can work remote. Cut to Caitlin. She can work from anywhere. He says he wants Sydney Sweetey. She wants Nick Bosa sports ball reference. I don't know cool. He has no relationship with his dad. They both want kids. She's been in toxic relationships. Uh. He doesn't want to become his dad doesn't want to yell doesn't want to put himself above his partner. He wants to feel full of butterflies and rainbows. Lisa call him a gentle giant. I like I did too. I immediately like cool, there's a there's he lost with the really okay you got married?
Speaker 3: With his glasses on the top of his head? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Right? That's why most people think he's a doude.
Speaker 3: People might be right, I hope not, because he seems like a good guy. He seems like a good guy.
Speaker 1: There's a self awareness here on both of their parts. That and and I'm also I feel like my impression has been colored by the fact that, as we'll get into they seem really good. Yeah, but they do so but so so at this point in the episode, while we're recapping, I will say I was a little like, is he actually a douchebag? I don't know, but but I I do like their self's self awareness.
Speaker 3: You're right, Adam does not have in any way, shape or form, does not have no.
Speaker 1: And also there's something about you know, it's just people like acknowledging their vibe, like acknowledging who they are, what they're actually into, and not put it on errors, right, Like Adam is putting on errors when he sits at the piano, he plays fourteen minute song. It's like, dude, you're trying to be you.
Speaker 3: Think you're so like yeah, yeah, and Devin doesn't.
Speaker 2: Devin's like, I'm not I'm not that cool, and I'm he's not that cool.
Speaker 1: He's in fact, he's basically he says, he's a douchebag. It's equivalent of being like, I'm a big loser a door, you know. It's like it's his version of that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: You don't ever see Adam. I can't agine.
Speaker 2: One of the things that people walk away from Adam like, you know, what he is is really self deprecating, like I do.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's seriously.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Caitlyn talks about how her dad is not pumped about her marrying somebody she doesn't know because he's more traditional. Yeah I was. We see Devin with his great grandmother, which is super cute. Then we meet Jeff the dad, and he is super nervous sitting in the ceremony. He's kind of aggressive aggressive, I'm gonna punch.
Speaker 2: You watched that twice and then put on the subtitles, making sure he actually said that. Somebody said to him, so, are you ready to meet your new steps are your new son in law?
Speaker 3: And he turned around's like I'm gonna punch that guy right in the face, Like Jesus, yeah.
Speaker 2: I know, but my god, but you know, going from nervous to to like violent tendencies like Yike's.
Speaker 1: Truly not a fan of Jeff Not. I'm not a fan of Frankly, I do not like I don't matter. I think that there's more to this.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I feel the same.
Speaker 1: I think everybody is like having to accommodate this baby's emotional outburst.
Speaker 2: He is a and he seems like he might also be a bit of a bully. Yeah, yeah, so I don't this is so either he got better, but it's only because he couldn't get worse.
Speaker 1: Oh only because yeah, only also because Devin is just too cool a guy, and he like, who's willing to accommodate this baby? Like this guy sucks one. Devin shows up with sunglasses on his head, which I immediately was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, we thought the same thing were bad?
Speaker 2: Is he he's.
Speaker 3: Going to keep Why? Why the point I put mine on the top of my head?
Speaker 2: And I just started saying to suit, like I'm going to marry you all over again, marry you all over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Jeff is not happy, which I kind of agree with at this point because because of the sunglasses.
Speaker 2: I'm giving the benefit of Dowdy forgot he put him on his head. That's the that's what I'm gonna give him benef the I know, I know, but giving him the better for the doubt that he forgot to put him on his head.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then there's this funny moment where the officiant says, are you ready to meet your bride? And he says, yeah, yeah, but dead but dead. She walks down the aisle, makes a silly face, and then she says, they found him. I could not believe it. I was like, okay, who about you?
Speaker 2: But it wasn't even like under his breath the efficient you read ready with your brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then she's like, let's go. I was like, oh my god, these people I might have found him, they might have found they might have found them man. And then her dad stands up apropos of nothing Jesus Christ. And then he's like the whole thing is crazy to me, gives a little speech seems like maybe if it's gonna be a problem, but then it's not. He's just managing to make this wedding about him.
Speaker 3: It's like what Logic did, but without any humor.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's like with like high stakes seriousness, get over yourself.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Devin presents himself kind of as a goofball, and her response is super encouraging. I love that. She's just like, you're responsible for my phone and ray line, super endearing, just on it. Like again, not delusional, they are aware of who they are. She's like, I lose my shit, I lose my phone and my keys. I need somebody to take care of this part of my life. And he's like, I got your high pockets or whatever. His response, he's like cool, It's like that's the way to be. Just like walk into a wedding or into a relationship and being like I do this really poorly.
Speaker 5: I do this.
Speaker 3: That's what makes a relationship too.
Speaker 5: The man.
Speaker 2: Susan always says she never knows where we're traveling until we're actually on the plane, Like I take care of everything, and she knows that.
Speaker 3: She's like, that's that's that's not good with that stuff. So that's on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, I thought their kiss was super good, crowded, I know, throughout the episode. Yeah, there's this is a so far I'm very curious because I could feel, you know, as all these like again, the arc of these reality shows is that they set you up and it'll be really interesting to see where these two go because so far, this is the couple that I put them.
Speaker 3: On that this one really interesting.
Speaker 1: I say, this is the best match couple. This is the couple that I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, they're they're gonna go.
Speaker 3: I also like that they're the ones I would put my money in.
Speaker 1: My second position. I would too, but second position.
Speaker 3: I feel like I feel like and are more uh what's sort of like they're more mature in themselves and in what they want in the relationship.
Speaker 1: I would agree with that. I don't think that that means them more success.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I wondered if Devin and Caitlin are still too young, too young emotionally, but possibly yeah. Do you know, like sometimes it's just like you stick it out exactly sometimes sometimes another recovering alcoholic is what keeps you sober?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you never know yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just yeah, there's something about their vibe, like, oh, I like them. It's funny because they're well see, they're not the people I would actually want to hang out with, you know what I mean, Like like this crowd would make like when guy wears the sunglasses Rugby whoooo. I'm like, I'm out, this is not my scene, but I appreciate it and I respect their their the way that they're vibing with each other.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: I think the person I like the most, just one single person out of everybody I think so far, might be Courtney.
Speaker 3: Courtney is the person.
Speaker 2: That I think, so far I would have the most like Okay, she's like my little sister and want to hang out with her like that.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say, I see.
Speaker 1: I like her too. Yeah, I like her. I also really like Nikki, even though I don't like the way she's. Yes, I don't blame her, but I don't blame her necessarily. I really like her. Like everything out of her mouth. I'm like, you're cool, Ye're smart.
Speaker 2: I'm holding I'm holding my judgment because I'm afraid and I think we saw a little bit of this. I'm afraid what Nicky's gonna do is what sometimes people, it's not just women or men, people do when they're not necessarily attracted to the person where with which is they start nitpicking and start picking fights so that the other person will leave or and they don't have to do it. And then it's like, well, I try talked about I just become insufferable.
Speaker 3: Feel like that might happen with them.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I'm afraid she's being a little mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm feeling I feel like it's gonna she I think she's got the ick and I think I think, no matter what Sean does, it'll never be enough.
Speaker 3: And I think that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, all right. Cut to Cameron and Michelle awkward height difference as they try and do their dance and this is.
Speaker 2: It looks like a father Sunday, our father daughter dance and and it's the daughters in the kindergarten.
Speaker 1: I but I put this on him, like, yeah, you're a tall guy, you must have dated, but he hasn't. He's only been six more relationships, so he doesn't know how to deal with It's like, bro, you're taller than like almost anybody, like you've dealt with short women before. Put her hands when we belong. Don't make a show out of how awkward it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Her brother gives a speech. He makes this weird bald joke, which I didn't cat.
Speaker 2: I think what her Michelle probably doesn't like bald men. So what she's saying is she's happy that she got down the aisle and you went a.
Speaker 3: Full head of hair.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: We find out that she loves Disneyland.
Speaker 3: Is she now? Does she love Disneyland or is she a Disney adult? Because those are two different things. I love Disneyland, I don't know, but you are you a Disney adult? No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: There's there's how do you feel Aboutney adults?
Speaker 3: Look, hey, you're talking to a card caring NERD.
Speaker 2: I play D and D, so you know I'm no one to judge that that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I think for me, the hard part about Disney adult is not like, because I agree like the nerddom. The sense of wonder amazing, the idea of like enjoying play and enjoying fantasy and enjoying imagination and joining storytelling are all of that I to love. So that aspect of Disney adult. I'm totally on board with, like let's run around and be kids childish or childlike childish, but there's something about Disney as a corporation and the money and the like the limiting sort of worldview of Disney, like that Disney is fundamentally like a hermetically sealed version of imagination. The Disney itself like like yeah, like Disney is very safe and very like sweet and very like Princess and like, I know the exceptions, but in general, Disney as a corporation as a sort of brand is conservative in the in the in the not in the like political sense, but conservative in the like cultural sense, like in the like very little baby steps. And also just it's all about money. Like there's so much money about Disney that drives me crazy. So like if the adult Disney is like also into other childish imagination things, and being a Disney adult is like one aspect of also going to rent fairs, also playing D and D also loving the Star Wars, also loving just yeah, I'm totally on board, but if it's just Disney, it's a little limiting to me. I'm like, there's more of there's more versions of the same sort of impulse and the fact that you've attached yourself to just Disney. I would be like, your your world isn't that open, Like your world is a little limited. I feel the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's also I don't understand wanting to go to the park four days a week and wait in line and do It's like I remember that I met a couple where all they did was the band that used to play in Tomorrowland.
Speaker 3: They used to go like, well, the band's playing tonight with have to go.
Speaker 2: I'm like you're driving, or because you want to see the band that plays it that does covers in They're like, yeah, they're the best.
Speaker 3: It's like oh okay, Like hey, do you do your thing?
Speaker 1: I mean it's sort of like you know, going to the mall for your hang Yeah. I'm like it's to me, it's just consumerist and a little like limiting. Like you know, I like unique experiences. I like going into the woods. I like getting lost. I like finding that weird little sit.
Speaker 3: There's adults that will wait.
Speaker 2: In line an hour to meet the character that's or the person in the Mickey costume. I mean that's where you're like, Okay, me too, it's hard for me. It's just not my thing. I just can't relate to it. It's not my nerddom. So I love Disney It's a great place to go a couple of times a year. I really enjoy that, especially if if I'm with a kid, like when we went when we brought Indy and that that was like I got to experience it all over again. It's like Christmas with a kid. It's like it starts again. So that was cool. But I don't want to just have Sue and I go to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: Like all right.
Speaker 1: Cut to Nicki and Sean. Her friends ask her how she's feeling, and she is changing the subject, which.
Speaker 5: Was a little.
Speaker 1: I know, well this is the thing, but she isn't feeling it, like it's obvious.
Speaker 3: You got to say something.
Speaker 2: Don't be like, well is this a pano Like don't It's like, all right, you're you're making light of the fact that you are not attracted.
Speaker 5: To this man.
Speaker 1: She says she wants to take it slow. His dad is telling him to be patient.
Speaker 5: Advice.
Speaker 1: All right, Caitlin and Devon people are clinking their glasses and they are kissing non stop. Yeah, which is hysterical. And then Devin talks to Jeff baby dad, uh and watching this conversation the thing that was the most disturbing to me. So it's it's Devin talking to Jeff and giving him what Jeff needs, which is what I understand when you're the dad. The mom is between them, her face is just this, oh, dude, she has been through so much. You could see that she has to sit there and deal with her freaking husband, Jeff, and his emotional requirements and what he needs from the guy who's marrying his daughter. And you just see her like sitting there going like I have to I mean, what this woman has been through being married to Jeff. This is where I was like, I don't like this dude, because I could see in her face that she has had to put up with so much bullshit from this guy where he makes it all about whatever his worldview is. I really That's why I was like, you know, and she's not saying anything, She's not going to do it on the TV show. She's just gonna get through it. But you know that this woman has made their life possible while he has made their life just so much harder, all right, And we get to Bell Jolie with her friends and she's saying that she thought maybe they were gonna kiss, but she made a promise. So this whole cheek is still kissing.
Speaker 3: It is still going on here. Let it go, Let it go.
Speaker 1: And then Dad gives logic, is mega crap, Like you clearly had an erection?
Speaker 3: The hell is that all about?
Speaker 1: Let this go? Like he's he's playing both sides, because in the last episode he was like telling bel Jolie like, oh, I know you didn't want.
Speaker 2: To you know.
Speaker 1: It's like he's playing. He's just every whoever's in front of him. He's just trying to like be the person that's most entertaining.
Speaker 2: Let's be on camera.
Speaker 1: I don't know again, just like Jeff, like these dads making it about them, like step back.
Speaker 2: Like just I don't feel there's any there's any animis in logic though, as opposed to where you know, Jeff, when you're say I'm gonna punch you in the face, It's like, what what the hell?
Speaker 5: Dude?
Speaker 1: He's aggressive. He's aggressive. It's he's insecure and it comes out in the worst ways. Then we get Nick and Courtney where she's asking why did he go on so many realities share. His friends downplay it. I mean I like that she just straight up asked them. I think that, like you were saying, like, she's not holding back. She's like, this is the right flag. Tell me that it's okay. And his friends say like, no, he is doing this show for love. He is not doing the show for the cameras. You're not a hundred, you're not convinced.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not getting nance at all. This is again, you can go on one reality show as a lark. I can totally see that. Oh my god, my friends, my friends bet me or dared me to go on Survive Big Brother whatever.
Speaker 3: Of course you can do that. You go on four or five. This is what you want in your life.
Speaker 2: You want to be a famous reality star and you want to have, you know, be an influencer, and you want to be on Instagram.
Speaker 3: That's how you want to live your life.
Speaker 2: So no, I don't buy it for a second that this is the one where all of a sudden he's going to do it.
Speaker 1: What if he owned it a little bit, Like what if he was more like, yeah, I want to be a reality star, but I also I'm looking for love.
Speaker 2: Then I would respect that at least he would say, yeah, but sitting there denying it, like, no, no, it just I just so happened to be on five reality shows.
Speaker 1: Come on, dude, that's interesting. That's interesting. Yeah, he kind of has to downplay it in order to increase the fact that he's here for love. But yeah, and.
Speaker 2: If you if you think for one second that if this couple stays.
Speaker 3: Together, which who knows what the future holds.
Speaker 2: If you don't think this couple stays together and he doesn't at some point, you don't think he's going to sit her down and say I think they would do a reality show about us, our life after merrit at first sight. If you don't think that's a conversation he's going to have with her your nuts. Of course he is, and he'll try to try to bank on whatever happens. Oh that seeks he's either they're either not going to stay together and he's going to be on a different reality show in a year, or they are going to stay together and he's going to try to pitch a reality show about the two of them.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you, as I said here, guarantee you is what he wants. Nobody does five reality shows by accident. Yeah, it's such a red flat.
Speaker 1: Keep choosing and he's probably he's probably submitted himself for absolutely, accepted for absolutely.
Speaker 3: He's doing it every weekend.
Speaker 1: That's his weekend activity, making videos.
Speaker 2: I bet you reality show agents. He's got an agent and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Of course it is no, they don't. They say that he doesn't have an agent. They actually say that later.
Speaker 3: Sure I think they did.
Speaker 1: Sure Felippe and Torri cutting the cake, he says, I give, I'm gonna give you know, you give the cake to the most important woman in your life. And then he says, mom, I love you, and then hands I like and then she goes out of her way to hand it to his mom.
Speaker 3: This is where my money is. This is my money's on the two of them.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: Then Nikki and Shaw garter belt moment. Oh, she's like, what are we doing this? This lap dance? Apparently it is?
Speaker 2: Did you do this at your with She Yeah, no, no, I didn't do any of this, any of this.
Speaker 1: You didn't use your mouth to pull off a guy did not. That's a poor guy. Like just take the hand, yeah, relax, relax, Just give her some space.
Speaker 2: Let he's gotta feel it, right, do you think he's so oblivious or do you think he's just trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Speaker 3: I mean he's got to see that she's not feeling it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says it. Later he says she's not. Yeah, but I but why he's not adjusting his behavior?
Speaker 2: What I mean, like, let's not do the guarter belt thing. Maybe we'll just make it a dance. Let's do something, you know, you know, reassuring her, Hey, we're going to take this super slow. I'm just as nervous as you are. And you know I like taller women and you're not tall either, so let's we'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's like he's really like embraced a sort of a vision of himself as like this confident, funloving guy, which, on one hand, that's greatesome, but it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not you're not going to bulldoze your way through He's not.
Speaker 1: He's not, yeah, exactly, he's not recalibrating. He's just sort of like, I'll just keep going with my doctor, best, doctor best, and it's like, hey, dude, like the doctor thing's not working, yay, And then be the sexual stuff is not landing, so let it pull back a little. Let that happen.
Speaker 3: John Best, PhD. Is different than doctor Best.
Speaker 1: Marissa and Adam. His friends describe him as chill, and I was like, are you getting there? Knew what they talk about how he's obsessed with jet skis, which guess what she's clocked cut to him talking about jet skis to everyone and everyone.
Speaker 3: Who I'm sorry, who is this into jet skiing?
Speaker 1: So I did efoiling just this weekend, which is basically like a surfboard with a propeller at the bottom and you ride it around. It is so much fun. It's it's a crazy expensive sport. It's difficult, it requires so much go. And I was talking to I just as a friend of a friend who had an e foil and we were staying at their lake and I'm on this road trip was super fun and it'll go once in a lifetime opportunity because it's like fifteen thousand dollars to buy one of these things. It's not going to I'm never going to be in there things you read, so it's a great right. But we were talking because there's all these jet skiers where we're doing this epoi and I'm like, what's the deal with jet ski Like it's not that exciting. He's like, no, it's the dumbest thing you It's like a minute in and you're like, cool, I did the thing. I've always felt this way. I the first time I did jet skis, I was twelve years old and I did the oldest stay where you stand up. Yes, that was hard on fun. It took me all day to learn and hard and fun. Same with e foiling, hard and fun. Ride in a jet ski like the WaveRunner style. It's the most absolutely what is.
Speaker 2: Your entire life is based around just doing something that twelve year olds can do that you can rent with their your dad's signature like it. I don't get even riding motorcycles or dirtbikes takes a lot more that You're just You're just on a jet ski.
Speaker 3: How have you made this? Have you picked this to be your life? Jet ski and pickle? It's like, are you It's the weirdest thing to.
Speaker 2: Pick to be the thing that you talk to about with everyone is jet skiing.
Speaker 3: It's so strange.
Speaker 1: Devin and Caitlin. She's already wearing his jacket while they're dancing this just as comforting.
Speaker 3: I thought they were gonna have I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so great.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: Then Jeff the dad gives a speech, Let's make it all about you again, yourself. He gets to tell about how he wasn't gonna come five days ago. Who gives up, Jeff, don't come. Jesus Christ God, I think Jeff's got chefs here. It gets to turn it all around, and now he's rooting for them. Good for you, all right. Cut to Courtney and Nick out with her parents. He has won everybody over. She's so happy. Okay, I guess she's gonna accept the uh, the reality. Well, I think at this point.
Speaker 2: I think she's she's gonna, hey, I'm I'm here. I'm gonna trust the process. Like we talked about, make make you know I'm all in. They said this guy's right for me.
Speaker 3: Who knows. Let's let's see.
Speaker 1: This was interesting the way she's talking to her parents in this scene. She says he's won everybody over. So it's not he's won meal right, It's not like, oh I am totally on board. She's like, I guess everybody likes him.
Speaker 5: She likes.
Speaker 2: She said, She's like, that's attractive to me that he won everybody over.
Speaker 1: But that's interesting, that's a it's an interesting phrasing that I think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think she's rightfully leary of why this guy's motives.
Speaker 1: Totally, and we get a montage of everybody's weddings ending, lots of partying, dancing, streamers, things happening Belgium. Lie and Mecca in their car. They both revealed their parent situations. She's never had her dad in her life, He's never had his mom. He explains how he wants to be exemplary with kids, which is this is cool because this is like one of their big connecting factors we saw in their previous episodes that they haven't shared with each other, and we get Cameron and Michelle in their car. He talks about being used to being alone because yes, he has not been in a relationship more than six months, she has only been alone for three years after being in a three year relationship. That is gonna be yeah, this is uh, this is bad, this is this is this is bad, this is I mean again.
Speaker 2: Adam has kind of funny red flags where it's like, dude, are you seriously like, really with all this kind of stuff, this is like a this is like a big one. This is a big weird relationship. You one to be thirty seven years old.
Speaker 1: I just also just feel no chemistry. I just you know, it's right. If we're just going on vibes and chemistry, there's nothing here. Now, I don't think Nick and Courtney you're on a couch. They're discussing their insecurities. She says, everyone liked you, which is the great. She takes her makeup off and looks kind of different, attractive but different. He makes a comment about tanning bed, how she maybe shouldn't be going to the tanning solon.
Speaker 2: Now, I asked you about this so tanning bed, and so we went back and actually listened. She doesn't say, I get I go in the tanning bed all the time. She says, I it's spray tanned. So spray tanning is healthier than the tanning bed. The tanning beds bad, Like if you're going to go to the anning bed every day, that's really bad. Spray tanning is probably still spraying carstonogens on your skin, but a lot less so than sitting in a tanning bed.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, they have an awkward bed conversation, which I realize now is par for the course with this show. Like who's going to sleep? Jesus, you sign up for a reality show where you're basically going to have to sleep with us? Yeah, like maybe have sex. Probably have sex.
Speaker 2: At least this at least these people feel awkward about it. Go watch Love is Blind where they can't wait to jump in bed with each other every night and trade partners and every other thing. Oh yeah, dude, you mean Love Love Island? Sorry, yeah, where it's just they just that's like, all right, everybody, you've picked Liam, You're going to go and be in in his bed tonight.
Speaker 3: And they're like I can't white to Bay with Lam. It's like you're oh my god. Yeah. So it's just it's.
Speaker 1: Awesome if you signed up for that.
Speaker 3: That's what they're signing up. Yes, it's a big orgy. So yeah, that's a great way to That's a great.
Speaker 5: One, all right.
Speaker 1: Mecca and Beljiu Lee. He asks what she's afraid of. She doesn't have anything, and then he expresses that he's scared she will think he's weird. This is Mecca's thing, probably because he has a father who has made is that what it is? I mean again, honestly, like he's so insecure when he shouldn't be. Yes, yes, And then she's like, what could possibly make you make me think you're weird? And he's like, I brushed my teeth in the shower. This guy is so scared of rejection.
Speaker 2: It's just you know, he's also scared of Look again, this is the thing we've talked about it being on camera, scared of looking stupid, and.
Speaker 1: Because his dad is mean, that's what it's got. But he spent his whole speech making him the whole point of.
Speaker 2: A relationship is finding your person to be stupid with for the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: That's the damn point. So yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 1: She says that it's a romantic vibe, but that she is standing on business, meaning they're not going to have sex. She's really holding to this with the cheek thing that you know, I don't know, I mean, I get it, I guess you know, you got to respect somebody's boundaries. But it's interesting that she's on one hand saying like I am attracted to him, I am feeling it, but then also insisting on these kind of like predetermined things. Okay, now we get Adam and Marissa. I love that his question so revealing. He wants to know what she thought of him, and then loves hearing about what she thought of his shoulder.
Speaker 2: And I were just absolutely dumbfounded by this conversation.
Speaker 3: So what's the first thing you thought about me when you walked down yet? Would you think like me, Oh my god? And He's like, my shoulders really big? They look big in this suit. It's like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: And this guy loves to tell the camera he's not worried about being naked with his wife.
Speaker 3: I've trained him, I've trained for this.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: They just had the worst sex ever this night. That's what they did. Like that. They closed those windows, they closed the doors, the cameras went away, and he was like, now we're gonna have sex just like I played the piano. Long, boring, steady, but professional.
Speaker 3: Eventually, I'll train you to be the perfect love for professional. Let me do it.
Speaker 1: Let me show you. I am so good with my penis. I am a professional penist. I am a.
Speaker 3: Professional pianist and a pianist.
Speaker 1: I'm a pianist, professional, dude, it's just cold blooded, cold blooded professional. So and you know it's like, oh, now I have to have the cold blood professional orgasm that you demanded of so much more firefar bro super Yeah, just that.
Speaker 3: Whole I could not believe that I have trained for this.
Speaker 1: She's wishing she had that kill Swift.
Speaker 3: I just choke him.
Speaker 1: Kill the engine? Can I just kill the engine? He's been twenty minutes, Dude, are you done yet? And he's like no, no, no, I got another one to play another song with.
Speaker 3: D let me take somewhere.
Speaker 2: He's got a little safe in his house, and in the safe there's a letter saying, okay, all this is a joke. I'm going to go on merrit at first sight and be the biggest douchebag on the planet.
Speaker 1: Is all act. He planned, He determined who he was gonna be. He's like a look smaxer. He like wrote out a list of like what a real man does. A man is artistic, he can play the piano. A real man has sex for twenty five minutes or six five that is what I will do. He is six. He is like plan this, he has trained it and it is so mediocre and boring and just like it is so funny. It's like it is just inhuman. It's like it's like, how do I learn to be a human being?
Speaker 2: What is the first thing you thought about me when you walk down the aisle?
Speaker 1: My shoulders good because I do shoulders on Tuesdays and I've been working them on every Tuesday for the last six years. So I'm glad you noticed my Tuesday shoulder.
Speaker 3: You think she's falling for it.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe, I don't know. No, I think it's like it's like, how do you fall for an android? Like it's not interesting, dude, Like it's like you need to he needs to like be broken down and be a human.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know, but it's the whole thing is just it's it's amazing in.
Speaker 1: A weird way. I wonder if Adam would be better match for Courtney.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I think Courtney would see through him too. I think Courtney, she is a bodybuilder, she does do a she is sort of in some ways a female version.
Speaker 1: She's not a douche. I'm not I don't I'm not equitting, but I think that she might be able to break him down.
Speaker 3: I don't you know who's actually think it would be the best. The best match for him is Nicky.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, he's tall, he makes a ton of money, he's got knows exactly.
Speaker 3: What he wants in his life. That's nick It should be Nicky.
Speaker 2: And at him, he's young enough to still have kids with her.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't think he's smart enough though.
Speaker 3: I think he thinks he doesn't read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she actually reads.
Speaker 3: You don't read everything every day reader, are you?
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, both Stu and I heard that when he's like, she's like maca chee's and reading all day, and we were both like, it sounds like a magical day.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible day.
Speaker 1: Much better than twenty five minutes of twenty five minutes of jet skis. And then I'm gonna give you a concert. And then when we're done with that, it's do all of Beethoven tonight. I also entered us in to pick a ball tournament. Back, Babe, let me warm my hands up in the fire. Let me warm my hands up in the fire, because I've got a forty five minute song.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Then Sewn and Nicky are getting ready for bed. They're gonna stay on different sides, and she finally says he's not my physical way necessarily yes, Surprise Surprise tells him to keep his shirt on, and she says, I don't quote feel attracted to him and makes a sixteen, makes a sixty nine joke, not the time, bro, not the time, and he says, I'm teasy, and then she's like are you? Are you? Then then she say it's her favorite position, and this is we're like a little bit of hope. I was like, Okay, I mean, I know I'm holding out that maybe this is the story arc that these two will actually fall in love because he's just kind of barky and trying hard the.
Speaker 3: Way his favorite position is a sixty nine.
Speaker 2: I mean it's I don't hate it, obviously, but it's not whose favorite position is a sixty nine. It's like it's you're at work, but you're also getting what it's this is some times is too much just saying it's like that, it's fine, I don't hate it, but again, favorite position is a sixty nine.
Speaker 1: Really, I find more often it's people's lead, That's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's where I would find a lot of people, a lot of women that I've talked to really find it agreed. But that's why I think the fact that she says it's her favorite position, I'm like, okay, so maybe there is some maybe here. I don't know. All Right, Caitlin and Devin getting ready for bed. They're vibing physically. She says she has no ick. She like grabs his hands and puts them on her cheeks. I'm like, yeah, still my, still my like number one, bet.
Speaker 3: No, I'm going with, still going with Filipin.
Speaker 1: Tori, Michelle and Cameron are on a couch. She brings up the six months relationship thing again. Yes, he is rubbing her shoulder in this scene, which I was like, okay, a little bit so much me yep. She says it was awesome to hear that he is is ready for commitment, and that's where I was like, well, obviously he's unbearried with at first sight, so I don't think that's like a proof that he is there.
Speaker 2: Also, I just noticed they're also by far the biggest age difference thirty twenty eight, So that's there there by far the biggest, the biggest age difference.
Speaker 1: She's been in more long term relationships.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Felipe and Torri are getting ready for bed. He takes off his shirt. Oh, this guy's a stud, talks about being a go and then he takes off his shirt and you're like, oh, get as, you've made up for it, you've made up where and he's so proud of himself and she says he's hot.
Speaker 3: But just yeah, they're into each other.
Speaker 1: He says, he's feeling like you won the lottery. And they they lay back and they talk in bed. And the way that they're laying back in bed, this is interesting, is bad for the camera, right, like straight back it's the only yeah, yes there. And I thought that that was a great indication that they're actually just having a time together because both of them lay back like they don't sit up like everybody else. It's like they're sort of posing for the These two are already just like laying down and talking and they're not caring that the cameras shooting up their nose and make you know. I thought that was super endearing and like weirdly indicative of like a comfort level that nobody interesting.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't put that together, but your on hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: Definitely, they're just in there, just into each other. They're just like testing each other out, they're getting to know each other. They're like already invested in, like laying down and talking intimately in a way that like I just didn't see it from the other people. So I'm with you. I think Felipe and Tori are.
Speaker 3: Like, that's my that's my goat, that's where I put my money right now.
Speaker 1: They're my number two, Devin Caitlin or my number one. I think obviously Nicky and Sean are the ones that they're setting up to be the failed couple. But I'm saying it now, they're going to turn out to be much better for each other.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that means all less, but I think they're the arc of them is going to be holy shit. They actually do have something, okay, but I don't think I'm ultimately. I think chemistry is too important. I don't think she feels it.
Speaker 3: So who do you think is going to have the roughest road?
Speaker 1: Cameron and Michelle?
Speaker 2: Interesting, I think it a strange way. It might be nick and Courtney. I think Courtney. I think Courtney's clocked him.
Speaker 3: At this point.
Speaker 2: I think this could I think it could get bad or it could be Adam memory if Marissa ever wakes up and is like, if he let's put it this way, if he stays this way.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, we haven't gotten enough of Marissa's interpretation yet. We have not seen she has been so accommodating. She has not expressed any doubts really yet, So we have no reason she could just this could be she could she could just she could love We haven't gotten enough, Like I don't love it, but I think you know, she could be the want to be trained. She could want to learn how to not drink and just avoid cancer causing chemicals and play pitoyball.
Speaker 3: That could be, she could love it. You're right, man, we don't know yet.
Speaker 2: We have to talk about what an arrangement, which what I am for some reason now only going to say it like Tony Danza, And today we are going to be talking about Czar Peter the Third and Catherine the Great.
Speaker 1: It's always royals, it's always.
Speaker 2: The marriage arranged by Empress Elizabeth. They married in seventeen forty five. The marriage was deeply strained, reportedly remained unconsummated for years.
Speaker 3: While Catherine was highly.
Speaker 2: Intelligent and immers her stuff in Russian culture and Enlightenment ideas. Peter was considered immature, eccentric, and obsessed about Prussian military. Catherine then overthrew her husband, Zar Peter the Third in a bloodless palace coup in seventeen sixty two. Their arranged marriage was notoriously unhappy, plagued by Peter's immaturity and lack of interest in ruling. Capitalizing on Peter's unpopularity, she seized the throne and ushered in.
Speaker 3: Russia's Golden Age. Wow, yeah, she took over.
Speaker 2: She was arguably Russia's great one of the greatest rulers of all time.
Speaker 1: So wait, once he took up, Once she took over, where did he? I think she had him excommunicated? So oh my god? So did she just rule alone? Then she never found another partner.
Speaker 3: After Catherine, She's a throne.
Speaker 2: In July seventeen sixty two, Peter Third was forced to abdicate and was imprisoned in the village of Rapsha. Just eight days later, he was assassinated, likely by Alexi or Love, a key co conspirator, though the official government cause of death was stated to be hemorhoidal colic. So not only do they assassinate the guy. But then they've got to make it like the most embarrassing thing in the world, death by act. He choked on his own dick, like like oh no, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Oh, I only call it a bloodless coup. But he still got like imprisoned and eventually.
Speaker 3: Well no, he got fassinated. Hey, hey, thank you very much hemorrhoidal colic.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, will you been listening to podmeats twirld. The vows have been spoken, the experts have weighed in. That's us and our completely offhand conversation has now become a season a season long commitment. We'll see you next time. Trap you smoking