Speaker 1: Kim, Thank you so much for being on the podcast this morning.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's an honor to finally get the chance to interview you. Your travels around the world were some of the earliest inspirations to me. I remember seeing some of the photos of you guys crossing the Road of Bones in Russia with these BC fusos.
Speaker 3: Yeah's, but I remember, I mean, this is back when people had blogs and they had their own websites, and you guys had this anthology, this story of what you guys were going through going across there, and you know, truly incredible images, very challenging terrain, and I just remember thinking, that's what I wanted, you know.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to be inspirational. Thank you, of course absolutely. But you know, if you look at the map on your fuso outside here on the side of the camper, it's incredible what you've done.
Speaker 4: And a special thanks to Nitto Tire for support this week's podcast. The Terrain Grappler G three is the third generation of one of Overlanding's most trusted all terrain tires. A new compound and tread pattern delivers improved wet traction and a three peak mountain snowflake certification, improved uniformity reduces road noise while still ensuring performance on the road and in the backcountry. And for even bigger news. The G three is now available and up to thirty seven inch sizes, but my personal favorite is the new two fifty five eighty R seventeen that I'm testing on my Quartermaster. This is the first all terrain available in that size, and since payload matters, the G three is lighter than most competitive all terrains. Nitto backs the G three with their best TREADWAAR warranty ever that means seventy thousand miles for hard metric sizes and fifty five thousand miles for LT and flotation. For more information, visit nidotire dot com. Thanks nidto.
Speaker 1: You know, let's start off a little bit by giving the listeners some context around where you've traveled around the world. I know you've done it in multiple phases, but let's kind of give them the we know we do.
Speaker 5: Three months on, three months off. It's always been my family a rate with arrangement with my wife, kids, grandkids are now great d and kids, so go ahead every three months. But Russia was the first one and it was about four months across there. During that period of time I designed another product which finish up becoming Earth Cruiser twenty ten. When I sold an earth Cruiser, we shipped it to Malaysia, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodi allow China to bet back into Russia.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Across the States Alaska to South America, then to Africa, from Southern Africa to northern.
Speaker 1: And he did up the East coast for that.
Speaker 2: No, we've went at the center was problematical. Africa is from part of the time. Sure, I went up through Sa'dan and a non Sa'dan's problematical too, then Europe, Iceland and Scandadavia and back into the strip. Yeah. Look and that's where they Yeah we want to go, we go.
Speaker 1: Well and that and that's excluding the I mean, I'm sure hundreds of thousands of kilometers you've traveled around Australia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean externally, I know I've done a number, it's about half a million kilometers fuss. Externally of Australia and then Australia. We've obviously done lots of the desert tracks GPS. A couple of years ago we went out looking for mediae craters in the in the Simpson Desert and that was all GPS.
Speaker 2: No roads, no tracks. There they are on Google Maps. That looks interesting. Let's go there and find out what it's all about. Yeah, so yeah cool.
Speaker 1: And you know, just to give some context to the listener, what brought you to that decision of using the Mitsubishi Fuso. I think they're awesome, but let's let the listener understand, well, why you choose those.
Speaker 2: Cross road challenges with it.
Speaker 5: We were ten years and the Outback Challenge, I did three rain Forest Challenge in Malaysia, a couple of New Zealand Wins Challenge series that was all on this and patrol and we went through the stage of as everyone does swags and then a pop up trailer camper and then a a couple of truth.
Speaker 2: Carries with popped up roofs. Sure just and it evolves what is.
Speaker 5: Ideal for you and to do true international travel you already have to have. Well, I have a say, you don't want to buy the biggest one that you can afford, you want to live in the smallest.
Speaker 2: Get the smallest one you can live here, and I guess.
Speaker 5: The Fuso and I suz four x four NPS series is appropriate for that. It's fifty mil wider or two inches wider than a land cruise. It's about one hundred mil longer than a land cruiser, so it goes down every track in the world's made by a land cruiser or a land rover, so you need to be able to drive down those roads.
Speaker 1: And that's so true. And the fact that it's built on a medium to heavy duty chassis, so you've got the payload now to support.
Speaker 2: It correct well.
Speaker 5: This need is actually one on one point three one three hundred ko below the GVM of the vehicle, So your power to weight ratio is important as well too. You have a heavy vehicle, you're deeper in the bulk, you're slower uphill, you're breaking distances longer. There's lots of consideration to collect to select the right vehicle for the application.
Speaker 1: And I think universally, no matter what you end up driving, you want it to be as late as you can make it. It's just going to perform so much better.
Speaker 2: It has to perform better, Yeah, that's right, and push it to long distances and you're remote it needs to be yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: You can only carry so much fuel. And when you do get stuck, you know, a vehicle that's larger like this, the heavier it gets, the more unlikely it is that a passer by can get you out. So you want to be as you know, as light as you can get. I mean, although there's plenty of land cruisers that get you know, that get up that you know, Yeah, they get up to almost five thousand kilograms for sure, but there they do get heavy. But it's it's important to not be so heavy that you can't get pulled out. That's why I've always stayed away from things like a man truck or whatever. Is that you've got to get some kind of a commercial recovery.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a fuel remind it's very difficult, very difficult, and big dulls if you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you read about these guys that get stuck out on these salt salt pans and they're out there for weeks, you know, and they bring out the first tractor and that's on and off, and then they bring out the second tractor and then it takes it takes the whole village. Yeah, that's a whole bunch of money to make that happen, you know, The other thing that I really like about the MIDSPEECHIFUSO is that they're sold all around the world as a delivery vehicle. So when you're in countries that that have poor road can do commercial entities use these trucks to get goods and services.
Speaker 5: It's a commercial truck that's half a meting kilometers standard lifespan.
Speaker 2: That's right, well, of course, yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: So it's designed to do that. I mean these vehicles oftentimes, you know, when you're coming into a little village somewhere in Morocco, they probably have fusos that are coming in delivering goods. So you know, the power lines are just the.
Speaker 2: Right right, the engines is pretty much the siety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that makes a huge difference around serviceability. Although with the Mitsubishi you don't tend to need a lot of service and repair. They tend to be incredibly reliable, but you know, things can still go wrong.
Speaker 5: They do, Yeah, things absolutely. I mean we look after that. I a graze this every five thousand cases, religiously. I changed the oil in half the time. Stand that it's recommended. Yeah, you're going to look after it.
Speaker 1: And what have you found on this platform that generally needs to be upgraded or improved, or there are things that you do need to modify on the beast Chausis or what do you find?
Speaker 2: First thing issues wheels.
Speaker 5: It comes with thirty two inch steels on the back which are useless off road. So we've designed thirty seven inch and thirty five inch super singles to do that.
Speaker 2: That changed the dynamics of the vehicle. This ride high.
Speaker 5: Obviously tracking front to rear is important. Improves the ride, which is seriously important. Then suspension lifted up the bump stop something like Yeah, so just a couple couple everything it hits the bump stop. Add another two inches of fifty mil to that. That improves the ride. A couple of nice suspension seats that it keeps the wife happy on the left hand side. Yeah, sure, that's the.
Speaker 2: Main thing from that side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I remember in I think it was around twenty and twelve or so, I had the opportunity to borrow an earth Cruiser. This would have been shortly after you saw the business and I was able to borrow a earth Cruiser ticket to free your island, getting off the ferry and all that. To have high floatation tires makes such a huge difference. So while I was on the ferry, I mean, nobody tells you, but I knew what was coming.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You hear those tires down to about twenty PSI, even on a heavy number.
Speaker 2: Even on a heavy.
Speaker 1: Truck like that, you know, and a jeep, you'd air it down to twelve or whatever. But on a heavy truck you can only go solo. So being able to air down like that and then.
Speaker 2: It just crawled right off, did you just keep going? Yeah, it did fine.
Speaker 1: Of course the land cruiser right behind me got bogged because they'd had an air down. It was still a stock yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's being able to drive around that island, which is it's one of the most incredible places on the planet to overland because it seems like you're in another world. I mean, you got dingos running down the beach, You've got these crystal clear water lakes, heavy for it's just it and the bird life is incredible. And to be able to drive on the beach and the camp on the beach is just awesome.
Speaker 2: And it's one hundred and sixty k along that bach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a long way. Yeah, you gotta got a couple of headlands in the locks. Yeah, no, it's a spectacular round.
Speaker 1: It's super cool, and I was impressed by the overall performance of the Mitsubishi. One of the things I think that's really nice about Australia. Nobody likes regulations, but because Australia has regulations on tire height and lift height, all of the vehicles are kind of built to the same level of capability. Whereas in the US you can put a thirty seven or a forty inch tire on something, so if they if that vehicle goes through a trail and creates a rut, every other vehicle behind them is in trouble, right, Whereas in Australia, everybody's got pretty much the same size tire, They got pretty much the same list on them.
Speaker 2: Nothing much bigger than the thirty seven inch tie.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and that would be on a vehicle like this, which is much larger. So I what I loved about that is that I could take that Mitsubishi fu so everywhere that everybody was going with the land cruisers because nothing was over built correct. And that isn't to say that there aren't technically challenging trails in Australia, but they're just less common, correct, Like all the main overland routes are all driven by basically the same kind of way.
Speaker 2: You desert trial fritude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you're if you're doing the you know, the canning Stock route. You we drove them in seventy series land cruisers with thirty three by ten inch tall tires and the track with with with this perfect and we never encountered obstacles that had been really chewed up by a huge overland with the exactly which makes it impossible to get through. That's something that I really like about Australia. And then you have to be a better driver, Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: You got to learn how to drive the thing. You got to pay, you've got up tackle it correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get a good marshal out there to spot you through. Maybe you got to pull some winch cable. But I think that adds to the fund, it adds to the fun. Well, and you've done a lot of winching in your life. I mean, let's pivot a little bit towards some of the competition that you've done. And I think that all of this kind of comes back to the fact that you've learned so much about building overland vehicles and campers because of the fact that you've pushed yourself personally, not only in competition but in international travel. So you've learnt you've made a bunch of mistakes.
Speaker 2: I know I have.
Speaker 1: I've made a ton of mistakes that now inform the decisions that I make.
Speaker 5: But now build this based on one of the off road Winch Challenge competitions where powder White's critical. I mean a competition truck. We stripped the inside lines out, the air condition went out. I used to joke with it one we used to kind of precious enough to say true story. But that relates back to exactly what we're doing now. And then of course you've got your rave land and travel backing that up. So the straight at adventure of vehicles, which is a cap that I have now is in conjunction with my son, we can build a vehicle that's built on the reliability and the structure and the learning curve put in what last thirty years, I.
Speaker 1: Get exactly the things the mistakes that you make along the way really help us. And you'll see that the people, the more traveled someone is, the less things that they have on their vehicle. The lighter that they keep them, the more closely they keep them to stock, especially the drive train. You know, it's that idea of that wild supercharger. Sounds cool. Yeah, but where are you going to find the pulley for that thing in the middle of Tajikistan.
Speaker 2: You're just not you're not. And maybe they can.
Speaker 1: Machine one up for you.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you've got to do it. You've probably heard of the Caisse principal. Yeah, keep it simple, stupid, that's exactly what you've got to do.
Speaker 1: And Australians get that because Australians get infinitely more remote than we can ever get in the US. We have similar terrain here. Yes, it's just very difficult.
Speaker 2: It's just stay on the rug where you've got help, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, or you've got even got cell coverage or and of course with starlink now and there are there are people that have a business to go get you in the middle of the back country.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: In Australia, if you're a middle in the middle of the Simpson you're on your own, you really are. I mean the longest you know, if you if you don't cross pavement. In the United States, about the longest that you can go from point to point is one hundred and sixty miles, so call it three hundred kilometers, which isn't that long, whereas the canning Stock route is eighteen hundred kilometers.
Speaker 2: That's right. And there's nothing in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a tiny little village. Yeah, yeah, tiny little Yeah, there's not much there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fortunately you can now get fuel there, but I mean you used to have to order your fuel well in advanced to have it staged in drums and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like four down on drums.
Speaker 1: That's right, exactly, Yeah, unbelievable. So let's talk a little bit about your competition. So where did what was the competition series that you started in and then you ended up going and doing the Rainforest Challenge and.
Speaker 2: I did like a four drive competitions with things like.
Speaker 5: And then in nineteen ninety nine the Outback Challenge started and we added that first challenge and we competed in that for the ten years that it ran full. I think it ran for a couple of years after that, but we're on the podium a reasonable number of times out of that, which was rather great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, Yeah, that was quite the challenge.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did Malaysia Rainforest Challenge three times and New Zealand Wins Challenge. I won the first one over there and got up on stage and said, well, this is really great guys, and this is how you do it.
Speaker 2: This is why we won. And of course went over there the next year and they beat We didn't know because they learned really well.
Speaker 1: But isn't that good for It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: For I love that hit and it's nice.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Outback Challenge was a great event, and I had pleased to say that after twenty years we're still mates. You know, a lot of those people who you camped with and competed with and against are some of the best mate forgots.
Speaker 2: It's a great fraternity.
Speaker 1: You and I have a little bit of shared history in that I was invited over to compete in the Outback Challenge that was held in Northern Africa. So I actually reced in that event in two thousand and six. So we both reached them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was fun. I mean, of course being able to rese the anchrews Er in Morocco.
Speaker 5: Was yeah, definitely, you were learning from that, which is effectively a winch challenge type series where they put you through bog holes and vertical cliff faces gets us out of problems that we feel comfortable traveling in our own right. Obviously on the Road of Bones, we winched a significant number of times. We've been bogged in our sand hollow in the Gobi Desert recovered self recovered.
Speaker 2: Out of that by burying the tire and winching.
Speaker 5: I guess the other time of wife and I were in Kenya and the Kufui National Park in Kenya in a swamp and finished up buried there and not movable, so there was nothing in front of us around the winch cable underneath the vehicle using a set of d shackles and the extension back to a tree, and self recovered from that. So it gives you certainly make confidence be able to say yep, we can do that track, but also confidence to be out to look at that track and say, no, that's beyond where I'm going to take the module which we're going to live in for the next six.
Speaker 2: Number of months or years.
Speaker 1: Do I really want to expose my house to that obstacle?
Speaker 2: Do I need that?
Speaker 5: And my wife's singer for fingernails are my thigh normally says enough enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she's probably learned a lot through the years. So if she says, if she says enough is enough.
Speaker 5: Regie gets out and takes a photograph. That's her way of saying, well, I'm not in here that you are. But there is a limit after that as.
Speaker 2: Well too, So we respect by side for sure.
Speaker 1: All you have to if you want to travel well with your partner, that's right. Not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal the magazine. So when you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print Magaze, you get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive, and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to.
Speaker 4: Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code Overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out too, I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding One oh One. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery, so you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding One on one. And thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit about how you the mindset that you have towards recovery. So you've had to do expedient recoveries, of course under competition conditions, and then you've been able to take your time and be methought, you can come in here and make a cup of tea.
Speaker 5: So we're trying to If we stuff up, let's say, yeah, stop everything, make a coffee, sit down, analyze the situation and methodically work through it. Yeah, and analyze what's going to go wrong. Yeah, yeah, and try and eliminate the issues.
Speaker 1: I think that's one of the most important things is to slow down. You know, in competition, you've practiced so much with your travel partner, with your co driver that you know what to do, and oftentimes the cable is already positioned on the front of the bumper. But when we're traveling, in my mind, the thing that's the biggest risk is to rush. Like the number of times that people the vehicle stuck, they forget to put it, or they forget when they're pulling it out. They forget that all it could run out, it could run away from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People they tip their car over and it's in neutral when.
Speaker 2: They get it righted back on.
Speaker 1: The wheels, it's not in park or it's not in gear. So when it comes back onto the wheels, off it goes. So taking the time to say is the vehicle in the right condition when it gets out, which, of course, if you're winching forward you're going to most likely have a driver in the driver's seat regardless, But a lot of times when the vehicle's on its side, there's nobody in the vehicle and you here you go, you write the vehicle and the next thing you know that things running down the trail. So taking that extra few minutes to come up with a plan assess the situation. I don't know if you've experienced this, but the number of times it's actually just been a log in the bog, yeah, because a lot of times people will stuff logs in there because somebody got stuck before you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd like to do that. But if somebody's natural process that a local place with.
Speaker 1: Junk, some local in Russia, they filled it full of a bunch of logs. And so now that log is just pushing against the front diff cover of your yeah, of your actual and oh.
Speaker 2: You breathe, the tubes are electrical. Wise, you got there, and then you do more than good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so take a look and you might find, oh wait, I just got to dig out the end of this log and I'll be able to get out. So really taking that time to do the assessment, I believe is critical, and then using all of the safety and multiplication factors that you can in the recovery. People get they get in a rush because maybe they're embarrassed or maybe they're worried or whatever, or or there their partners worried about what's happening. So, you know, so they'll just pull a single line out straight to a tree strap. The winch line isn't even fully extend. Did so the winch is struggling. Yeah, so take the time, put in a pulley block, run it back, give a little bit of bridling to the recovery so the load is spread out over multiple points. Yeah, you're right, taking.
Speaker 5: That time, Yeah, think about it. Yeah, And the other thing you've got to do is obviously prep your vehicle before you start traveling to make sure your winch is actually still active. Many times you haven't used the winch for twelve months and then you finish up in a situation that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the electrics are corona. You've been on a beach, you know, you sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Just pre check the vehicle before you're actually starting head out in the bush there and run the cable up. Make sure it's not bound up from the last time you wished.
Speaker 1: It makes sense, it's ready to go. That makes so much sense. And with these modern winches, a lot of them have remote controls, so it's not a wired remote. It is a wireless remote control. And those batteries go down, I do go down, you know, So you've got to make sure it has it. When's the last time I charge that thing? Do I have the cable to charge it? Some of them still come with older versions of USBC. You be chargers, and you may not have that cable in your car.
Speaker 5: Well, I've had something very simpler, just with the remote sitting in the console where you've jammed something else in and it's actually pushed the button and turned it on even though the winch is isolating. So do anything but the remote is actually active and flatten the battery of it.
Speaker 2: Hanging on. Nothing happens.
Speaker 5: But then we always carry a positive lad that you can plug in and make sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a backup system is always handed.
Speaker 1: I would agree, And fortunately companies like Warren and others have learned you can't just provide people with only a wireless you know, you know where it uses radio frequency to operate the winch. There needs to be a mechanical, a wired remote that you can also plug in. I would never consider even consider buying buying a winch that only had remote. Now, of course, those of US that are more mechanically inclined. If that thing totally stuffs up and you can't get it to pair, there's ways around it. Pull that little solenoid box off. That's when you start using in a jumper.
Speaker 5: We're in the remote track on a track in Tasmania and had to use the winch and for some reason one of the solenoids it wouldn't pull in but would pull out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, so you just get it, pull it all apart and sort the solenoids around and rewire it and.
Speaker 2: Yes, sort of pull in. I can pull it out manually myself. That's so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little bit of that outback challenge knowledge that it comes into play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you made it.
Speaker 1: You made a plan that made it, that made it work. What were some other things that you learned in your competitions, like working with others, working with your teammate. What were some of the things that you did as a team to help you be so successful.
Speaker 2: I think being of the same mindset certainly is critically important. Yeah, and not sort.
Speaker 5: Of trying to You've got to have someone to make the decision and someone to lead the process. If you are in a situation, someone's got to call it, and you've got to trust the other side that if he's outside and says look stop, then that you got to take that lead from them as.
Speaker 2: Well for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you get your spotter out of the vehicle, they're in charge.
Speaker 2: That's on.
Speaker 1: You're just you're there the monkey. You're the monkey operating the controls. Yeah, and you really have to trust your spotter. And when we can relate that back to travel for those that are listening, when's the last time you and your partner worked through a scenario together? So it's you know, husband and wife team. The wife is a great driver, she competes in the rebel rallies. She's got all of this experience with recovery, but her husband needs an accountant. He doesn't do that stuff. When's the last time that she taught him how to do that stuff? So you really want to make sure that whoever you're traveling with is comfortable marshaling you through obstacles, operating the winch. What happens if the primary driver ends up with a broken leg, they've had a fall and they can't operate the vehicle. Can your partner drive the truck? So those are things that I think people really need to be thinking about I do well.
Speaker 5: I may not have had the occasion. My wife was never involved than competition, but we've been in situations where we've had to winch and.
Speaker 2: Say, right, okay, this is what you're doing.
Speaker 5: He go through the learning process, you set it up, and you do a dummy run on all these sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what a neat memory that you guys. I mean, how long have you and your wife been traveling together?
Speaker 5: Basically all our life, all our married life certainly, I mean we're all camping from from day one. We were married at twenty one on what seventy five?
Speaker 1: Now, that's yeah, that's so.
Speaker 2: Look, our honeymoon was camping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, yes, we had a couple of days in a nice barrier Refinling. But then we went to Canarvan Gorge and camp and we went out there with the v W and Bob the v W a campsite. So we spent a married night in the back of the backseat of the v W in a swamp.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But how cool is it?
Speaker 1: I mean it's just it's amazing memories and you know, like, how do what have you guys learned as a couple. I mean, that's an incredible feat to you know, to now being married for over fifty years and to have had so much time together. How did you guys learn to work together? And what advice would you give to a young couple that was about ready to do their own travels around the world.
Speaker 5: Probably listen to your partner and yeah, and and modify your desires to suit.
Speaker 2: The desires as well too.
Speaker 1: A little give and take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lit'tle bit of give and take.
Speaker 5: I mean that's why we travel three months on, three months off, and then I've read yeah, Rock, just keep punching away. But we have made that arrangement and it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you guys found a compromise.
Speaker 2: Compromise and to compromise. It works for both of us.
Speaker 1: I do like that strategy though, of I mean, I think a lot of times people will say, Okay, I'm going to go take the trip of a lifetime, and they pack it all into a year or two or whatever, and they're just so exhausted by the end of it. I have found for myself personally that I don't really like to be out for more than about three months. I like to come back and spend time with my dad partner, and you know, spend time working on the content that I pulled in, spend time with the team. I love my business.
Speaker 2: In the next for too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, go to the doctor, you know, get go do something fun, you know, go out and have.
Speaker 2: That's good. It's good to stay on top of it to be healthy, that's right, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that tempo of of those couple months off, a couple of months on, and I think more people should consider that. I think that would help them travel for longer. Sometimes you can work out an arrangement with your employer where you can come in and out of projects and do those kinds of things that I first started to be able to do that because I was a I was a consultant. I was a software consultant. So I would do a big project and then the project would finish and I could go travel, and then I would travel until the next big project started, which sometimes it was a couple of weeks, sometimes it was a month, And that really gave me the opportunity to get out and start to explore. So you can oftentimes find work that supports that. And you're case because you founded several businesses yourself. You and your family, your son and your team can operate the business while you're away.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah. The other thing people ask, what do you do with the vehicle when your fly back home?
Speaker 5: Well, I sort of think I sort of say, okay, look, you can pay for storage, which I'm doing next week. Making create a friend someone's got a barn somewhere. I found up quite often to a FUSO dealer in the States when they were operating through time Back and Seek. Can I steward here? And they were delighted to have a truck sitting in their yard. They do a service for me gratus, which was wonderful, but they got a benefit and say did I out of it too?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's getting more and more possible to do that. I mean, you know, in Panama there's the Overland I can't remember when everything's overland something, but you know there's a there's basically like a hostel that also will store the vehicles down there. You know, even in Prescott, you know Matt Scott who's my co host on the podcast, and I you know, we occupy this commercial space. We offer up spaces for people to be able to store their truck because it's all locked up and they people want to come to Prescott anyways, it's a nice, nice spot along the journey. So we're finding more and more people are starting to offer that kind of storage of vehicles around the world. Yeah, yeah, makes a big difference. And yeah, don't be afraid to leave it. I remember one time when I was doing Expedition seven, that trip where we took the land cruisers to all seven continents. We needed to leave them in Mendoza, and I did a bunch of research and there was no limit on how long you could leave it at the airport, and there was no daily fee.
Speaker 2: Wow. Perfect.
Speaker 1: So I pulled it into the airport, tucked it up underneath a sunshade, you know, shut it off, just connected the batteries, left on, left to go home for a month or two, came back and there nected the batteries back up again, fired right up.
Speaker 2: It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's still the case, but but you can definitely find places to leave cars. Yeah, and don't be afraid to do that. The only limitations, and you got to know where you're traveling in the world. Sometimes temporary your tip, your temporary import process won't allow you to leave the country without without some other process, or there's a limited amount of time that you can leave the vehicle in the country, or you're sometimes limited by the length of your carney. So you want to make sure that you're paying attention to coming to playing. So make sure you're paying attention to that. Don't get yourself in trouble. You know, there's people that have gotten turned back at the airport that show up to leave, and the and the customs places. Hey you still have where's your vehicle at?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, why are you flying out? Did you sell it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that can make it complicated for sure. Of all the places that you've been around the world, I mean you've literally driven around the world many times. What's one of your most favorites?
Speaker 2: Sorry sorry, Mongolia?
Speaker 5: Okay, Mongolia is the size of the sort of lesson the US. Yeah, when we were there, there were one hundred kilometers of gazette roads. Everything else is by direction.
Speaker 2: If you want to you're a noltavatar, I want to go to the next town, you log in the GPS direct coordinates, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you drive it down that river valley or I with that mount Ryan Durrett through the forest. They there's no fences in Mongoli. Yes, so it's true over landing because you are across country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Brett.
Speaker 1: The people are beautiful, yeah yeah, and the little families that you know in the yur It's one of my favorite stories. I was when I was driving across the northern end of Mongolia to Lumba Tar from Russia. I had stopped and camped out for the night. I was in this little nemo tent and I was getting ready in the morning, and this little little boy just like crawls into my tent and just sits there and watches it. Because it's totally normal, yes, for him to be able to because his whole fam his whole family is in one tent.
Speaker 2: Yep, so it'd feel totally normal.
Speaker 1: This little kid just out of there and he was just adorable and look, yeah, he just that ended it up. I just he was very respectful, but he was very curious what I was up to. So I'm rolling up my sleeping pad and all that stuff, you know, And then I get to meet his father and then then and we had a fresh apple. I don't remember where we got it, but we had an apple, and I gave him the apple, and next thing, you know, his other sons coming down with a camel, had to ride a camera.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He was just, yeah, wonderful. I got stories like that.
Speaker 5: So we're in a June valley and the guy comes down and he's on his jack and all these goats and heard of animals, and we're sitting there where your wife still drawing pictures of animals and asking him how many he's got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then he brings out the vodka.
Speaker 5: We have a few drinks, and then he invites us back to his family the next morning. And you invited us for breakfast, which was wonderful experience.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't quite heck the vodka breakfast breakfast.
Speaker 1: Say, they do wash most of the things down with bode that or the ferment the water fermented Mary's milk. Yeah, they have in the doorway.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's that. Stuff is rough, Yeah, stuff is rough.
Speaker 1: Quite Yeah, I was grateful for the vodka wash that down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well yeah, the people in your meet traveling, it's just yeah.
Speaker 1: So Mongolia is one of your favorites. What would be the next one that comes to mind?
Speaker 2: I think you'd have to say just South America.
Speaker 5: Generally Australia doesn't have the mountains that South America has, and the scenery is just spectacular diversity of scenery from your your deserts and Bolivia and the rainforests of the br three y nine sugar back into the Amazon jungle which we drove was Britain.
Speaker 2: When did you drive that twenty fourteen that.
Speaker 1: I thought about doing. That's one of the trips in South America I'd love to do because I've never been to Brazil.
Speaker 5: Yeah, bridgiant plate the bridges for my wife wouldn't sit the vehicle where you drove across the bridges because when you drive on them, apart from us putting stumps underneath and more logs and more rocks, the bridge still sways like this vehicle a cross that's like take a breath and take up religion.
Speaker 2: What do yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that that's supposed to be a really great round. I know that they're actively improving it to make it easier to get into the into the jungle and into the rainforest, so I know I need to go sooner than later before it becomes paved.
Speaker 2: So we met a bike rider coming going south.
Speaker 5: We passed him, and he was proudly saying, I'm going to be the first bike rider to ever do this three one nine trip thirty ks. Further on in that travels, we met a bike rider coming north, yeah, saying I'm going to be the first one I really would love to feed on.
Speaker 2: Because I guarantee their speed and no question. How funny is that?
Speaker 1: How funny is that? Yeah, it's it's really easy to try to attach ourselves. So those those competitive components of travel, you know. Yeah, that's good. Yeah, I think I think So America is really special. The food's great roads or grade mountains are beautiful.
Speaker 2: I mean we're preying while camping and people friendly and not worried about you. No, they're really aren't.
Speaker 1: Their territory and camping is quite it's a part of the Argentine culture and they do camp down there, so they used to seeing people out camping out, you know. And you think about even where we're sitting right now. We're at over seven thousand feet here in Flagstaff, the Overland Expo, which is already two thousand feet higher than Costkiasco. Well you looking like that, and you and I are just sitting here having a chat. Yeah, and we're we're you know what would that be five six hundred meters higher than Costkiasco.
Speaker 2: Which at the highest mountain of the STrenD. Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the world is highly varied.
Speaker 2: I continue a quick story that believe you're in South America. Yeah, please do.
Speaker 5: We were Ife and I alone, traveling into Thursday. We went looking for puts casting in the sun Dance kids. They have grave site because he used to rob coaches down there, so we're looking.
Speaker 2: For their burial.
Speaker 5: Side overnight went minus fifteen. Diesel froze, water froze. We actually had a flat tire at the same time, and I wouldn't say we were lost in the desert, but we were certainly remote and not a soul around. The next morning, it was cold right, wouldn't start because the diesel had turned to us like a slushy bit of a gel a gel. So I finished up taking the exhaust pipe out of the diesel. Heater ran that into the fuel tank, melted the fuel, which managed to get us started, which then managed to we managed to push the vehicle around so the sunshine was also on the fuel tank side and that managed to self recover out of that experience.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a great story. And then when it was running, you could run the air compressor and yeah, changed the tire.
Speaker 5: But we ever got out of there just logically thinking well, what's the next move you want should do?
Speaker 1: And then did you end up finding which Cassidy's grave?
Speaker 2: No, we didn't know it was to you said, enough of that enough if people.
Speaker 4: Don't realize how high that Altiplano is, I mean that is such fine co is you're driving around at fourteen thousand feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there very high. But you made it to solardi Us. Oh yes, yeah, we've never been there. What'd you think of the salar?
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And a special thanks to Hankook Tire for supporting this week's podcast. With Summer Underway, head over to Expedition Portal dot com for jeep Beach Vibe inspiration. Our team spent the weekend with Handcook Dinapro Tire at this year's twenty twenty six Jeep beachweak in Daytona, Florida, and took a look at their Wrangler three ninety two. Look for Jeep Beach twenty twenty six. When you go to Expedition portal dot com.
Speaker 2: It's a really impressive country.
Speaker 1: So what's what for your planning going forward? Is there a spot on the map you still want to make it to.
Speaker 5: When there's a couple of holes to fill in we haven't done when I fly Ham this time i'll come back and we'll do three months Florida Everglades.
Speaker 2: You haven't been in that area, then yes, I'd like to see one of the spaceships sort of God nor woued you. I'd like to tick that box.
Speaker 5: Even we spend another three months again in the eastern part the western parts of the US, or more than like people probably.
Speaker 2: Ship to the Europe. We haven't done.
Speaker 5: Eastern Europe is one other places on a map i'd like to do. We've I mean, as I said, seventy five of b another five years of healthy life.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping hopefully than right, but I mean that's what we're planning for in five years of travel on or.
Speaker 1: Off, and Eastern Europe would be fantastic in a vehicle like this. I mean, you know, just some of the back roads in Albania were just awesome for driving there, you know, through the Balkans in that eastern part of Europe, you could still overland for you know, days at a time on remote roads. That's much less the case unless you're in like Portugal there's some longer trips, or in Spain, but for the most part of Europe there's just not a lot of But there's so much to see there is that people will say I can't go in the back country in Europe. I'm like, well, but there's thousands of years of history to enjoy.
Speaker 5: It's history and off Friday and the people and the great food museums.
Speaker 1: Just go enjoy a different kind of trip, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Society, different culture. Yeah, that's what traveling is. All of that.
Speaker 1: I would agree, I would agree. What advice would you give if you were to sit down and either chat with your younger self or with another couple that was just getting ready to start traveling, how would you help them make decisions around their vehicle? You know, what, what are the basics that they need to get started? What are some things that you think people need to be considering?
Speaker 2: Certainly have touched by some traveling light is critical. What you don't need in two weeks you don't need in two months or two years. Apart from medical and recovery gear.
Speaker 1: So maybe a couple of spars, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean your spas, yes, But I mean as far as taking stuff, and I've got the biggest problem is people have got space and they will oh, what can I put in there? And they walk around the house that I might need that and fill that hole if you don't need it. I mean i'd even when we ship the first time, as we're going back each time, I always took stuff back I wasn't using it.
Speaker 2: Don't carry it, yeah, fly back with it, fly back with it, take it back home again.
Speaker 1: Get it out of there, give it or donate it away. Give it away absolutely no. I think that's important advice. Keep it late. And also if you buy a fewer things, you have more money for diesel, or you have more money for visas, or you can stay out a little bit longer, maybe continue your journeys. Being able to budget for that is really important.
Speaker 2: We tend not to buy souvenirs per se.
Speaker 5: Something nice from each country is always nice, but we try and sort of take back home what is important to us. If you find something on the beach just means something and reflects back to that.
Speaker 1: A shell or yeah, something like that. Yeah, I do the same thing. They're not much for the trinkets and stuff like that, but yeah, certainly the.
Speaker 2: Foota they're not made in the country of origin Fortunes.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, that's very much the case. Well, let's talk a little bit about your camper business. We're sitting in your personal camper right now, built on a FUSO chassis. What's the name of your business.
Speaker 2: It's Australian Adventure Vehicles.
Speaker 5: The name of the product is a Global Explorer. Obviously, it comes from the background of where we are at. Built for primarily around Australia, because I guess you'd say ninety five percent of my clients of these vehicles are doing around Australia. Look, yeah, there's probably six or seven trucks that are international, which.
Speaker 2: I try and encourage. Yeah, be proud of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good and I'm proud also that two or three people have come here over the Overland Expose show and sort of said, well, I bought a different vehicle, but it was you who encouraged.
Speaker 2: Me to travel the world. So yeah, I think that's a nice box to tick.
Speaker 5: I'm sort of rather proud that I've encouraged others to get out there and explore more than just their backyard.
Speaker 2: You absolutely have.
Speaker 1: I mean they shared the story of you inspiring me, you know, almost twenty years ago. Now I read that first trip of you doing Russia, so you know that obviously the work that you did with Earth Cruiser built a great brand there. Still that's still going in Australia.
Speaker 2: And then there's another company after that called Travel Trucks, which I built up with based on the Vecco Daily. Sure again I got ischy feet and saw that onto my business partner.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and now I couldn't help myself again, very tired five times and back again.
Speaker 2: But now your son gets gray Soun's great. How cool is that? Great ideas?
Speaker 5: So I come back and say, well, we'll tweak this a little bit here and tweak that there, and we've got a new product in production at the moment along the same almost exactly the same layout, but just tweak or ems in there. Clients want more and more of everything these days, and everything a thousand wats of sol or an eight hundred or twelve hundred wats of amp pounds of lithium.
Speaker 2: Batteries and just improved again from my experience out there and playing with the product.
Speaker 1: Do you still have that website going that has all the story go AA tracks?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so spell that spell that out for the is it a straighted lizard?
Speaker 5: So g O A W N A one word t R A c k S dot com Yeah, yeah, not au just dot com.
Speaker 1: Those stories are awesome, those photos are incredible seeing seeing a fosol just like crashing out of this hole on the road of bone. I mean I saw that when I was eyes wide like that is that it was so incredible that that kind.
Speaker 2: Of crop wheels off, which is a little bit beyond but sometimes you got to meet to do it.
Speaker 1: Was land Rover says, you know, as slow as possible, but as fast as necessary. In that case, that was as fast as what it is. Yeah, that's right exactly. And then do you guys have any social media accounts that you can point people to really up for the business.
Speaker 5: So the business yes, ww dot I V four x four dot com is a straight at adventure vehicles. Okay, that's got a lot of product on there, based for either the FUSA Canada or the Iuzu NPS.
Speaker 2: Four by four as well too. We build on both platforms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kim, it's been such an honor for me to interview you. You're an inspiration so to so many people. I'm incredibly proud of what you've accomplished in all of your travels. Just looking at that map out there on the side of your camper is just it's so humbling to see what you guys have done, and I just I'm really grateful that I had the chance to sit down with you ask you about your life and your incredible journeys. So those that are listening, please take a look at Kim's travels. They're just out of this world. You think Camel Trophy was cool, Wait, do you see what Kim did? Yeah, thank you, thank you, and thank you for your for the book.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, well again, like, well, you can give me some updates so I can add it to the next version of it. So thank you so much, Kim, absolutely, and we thank you all for listening, and we'll talk to you next time.