Speaker 1: You were listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair. Do you have all your pasta? Very idente?
Speaker 2: And yes, I found this amazing pasta called Mancini, which is from Pulia. I'm a friend with few great chefs, one in particular Nicromito. I don't know if you know Nico Nikos. He creates all the menus for the Bulgary hotel in the world, but also he has his own restaurant, which is three star mish Land in Abruzzo. And we know each other since ever like twenty years now, and he gave me this tip, get pasta mancini. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Is it in a blue packet?
Speaker 2: No white, an orange?
Speaker 1: Look it up.
Speaker 2: I'll send you some.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, very good. So you going back to the recipe you talk about you tell us talk about it well.
Speaker 2: I mean, there is this famous recipe of Taierne that there is a woman chef in Pimonte made thirty or forty years ago by using one kilo of white flower and forty yolks. And I tried one.
Speaker 1: How is it?
Speaker 2: And I thought it was a disaster, and in fact was amazing because it gets very dry almost crumbly. You don't have a soft dough. You have a very dry dog. And then when you pass the door through.
Speaker 1: The did you use the machine or do you no?
Speaker 2: No, in this case, you cannot. You need the machine because the machine helps the pasta to become one. The pasta was amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, when we do it with truffles, we put you know, if we do child green with tartufi, then we use a lot more eggs. But if we do it with tomato or with then let's let's sechi. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: But pasta you do every week a lot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we sell every night. We sell probably sixty portions fifty a lot. You know, everybody says, oh, I don't carbs, I don't include, and they all are. Everyone does right all the time, and it's evolved, you know. So we make if you're cooking in the restaurant, it's easier to have fresh pasta because you know, if you're cooking quickly, it cooks quickly you added to the sauce. A hard pasta takes a bit longer. But I always love a hard pasta as well. So we often do three fresh pastas in one hard, or we do a risotto and two pastas and jaki.
Speaker 2: You know, how are the habits of the clients changed throughout time.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting question. I think when we first opened the River Cafe in eighty seven, we served Papa poal Medoro right because I was my husband was from Tuscany. We cooked in Tuscany and we wanted to make the kind of food that you ate not in restaurants in Italy but at homes. And people said, I am not paying at that time, like eight pounds six pounds for a bit of bread and some tomatoes and you know basil, And you'll think this is surprising. But there was a man here called Freddy Laker, and what he did is he operated cheap airlines, like you could buy a ticket tow for ten pounds. Remember. So what it meant, I think is that a lot of British people traveled to the source. They went to Italy, they went to Rome, they went to Pulliad and I think it kind of changed the way people could them maybe more. And I think people now are so curious. You know, we have an open kitchen. People come up to the past and say, how did you make that? What's in that? And they ask questions.
Speaker 2: Do you like to divulge?
Speaker 1: Always?
Speaker 2: You do, right?
Speaker 1: Always. That's why we did thirteen books. You know that we've thirteen books, because why not? You know, would you ever write a book?
Speaker 2: I don't know, a foot book? Yeah, I don't know. I mean I On the one hand, I would say, yeah, it would be it would be amazing. On the other hand, I like to do things that I know how to do them. And you know, like I love food and I love to cook. But it's more like personal than something that I could be, like I have an authority about maybe I could do a book about the art of the table that I can do. That I can do it.
Speaker 1: But what do you mean by art of the table?
Speaker 2: The art of the table means how you set up a table. The many fashions in which you can create a table setting for a meal, whether it's a two people meal or a large important dinner.
Speaker 1: Describe it one for me. If I came to dinner, what would bla tables setting?
Speaker 2: Well, if you came to dinner to my house in Pimonte right now, I think we would and it was a funny day. We would eat outside on a simple garden iron table and chairs and we would have probably a pasta with tomato on a ceramics. I have a blue ceramics set that I bought from a beautiful artisan in Wales. I would use that for.
Speaker 1: You, red and blue like your eyes. It's interesting that you say tomato pasta because I always tell the story that we were in Verona and we met someone from al greenie To and she said that when she was growing up that she never until she was sixteen growing up in Verona, had never had a pasta with.
Speaker 2: Tomato, because that's part of data.
Speaker 1: She went down to Naples, and she came back from Naples for the summer, and they called her Piccolo pomodoro whatever, because she's experienced. And I love that about Italy is the regional.
Speaker 2: Italy is so elongated and so fractured that you don't have what could be considered Italian food even now. Absolutely, I think you have many myriad you say myriad, myriad, myriad of possibilities coming from not a single region, but a part of the region. So what you can get in the Verona area you would not get maybe from the Treviso area, And that is something that it's very important to learn about Italian Heritaga would say, and that's what makes our food canon very wide and important. One other thing that I love is I like to read books, recipe books from the past, you know, Peligrine or Tuzi or at a Bonnie. You can see the Verie.
Speaker 1: It was a big influence on me. She's great. I think she's great. Yeah, talents man, remember that. Yeah I have it. Yeah, so have I hope I have a line downstairs. But she there was so simple, right, so short these recipes. Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table for in partnership with Montclair