Speaker 1: October. Man, it is packed to the gills every year, is what we just started. We're only I don't think we mentioned this last time. We're just a few sessions in to starting power yoga.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Oh man, my fourth, fourth, my third, needless to say, I've not done yoga before.
Speaker 2: Also my first hot yoga. I've done some yoga, but this is my first like hot yoga.
Speaker 1: And god, and it's not even just I mean, the heat is one element, but it's the I mean it is a strength exercise and it's like stability, you know what. Everything they say about yoga is true. It's hard.
Speaker 2: I know, it is tense. Yep, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to come out of this looking like Ryan Reynolds crossed with one of the Hemsworth. I would say, I would say three more weeks.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's about six weeks of work for them, right.
Speaker 2: I think so at least or so like that that. Yeah, if that maybe five? Yeah, it's just because they can do it, you know, full time.
Speaker 1: They probably eat half a pizza every other night, right, definitely? All right, then I'm right on all the meats for protein. Oh I don't eat meat. Ah crap. Now, I'll never.
Speaker 2: Look like vegetables do nothing for you.
Speaker 1: What else is going on this month?
Speaker 2: Let's see, Well, it's I mean it's it's Halloween month. It's spooky season. So what isn't going on? We got stuff to do, We got costumes to plan. Yeah, because we actually have a party to go to this year.
Speaker 1: Oh crap.
Speaker 2: We get a parade A little five points A little.
Speaker 1: Five points Halloween Parade is a time hunered Atlanta tradition. If you've never been, it's a wacky, wild, good time.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's pretty much the pre eminent Halloween weekend of activities, yeah at in Atlanta. Yeah, because it's like a whole weekend of various stuff. They got a haunted house, a three D haunted house, which I don't know if that means because in the third dimension they're usually forty we can like smell things.
Speaker 1: Too, but yeah, and they take time. That's a dimension, right, I so.
Speaker 2: Question question the three D el on.
Speaker 1: Quite honestly, I'd be more impressed to experience a two dimensional haunted house.
Speaker 2: It's all in a coloring book or something.
Speaker 1: Well, I will have a hard time doing that this month too, because I'm also remounting the show that I was in. What last year when we did Tipsy Tales Presents robin Hood. It's a live show that I'm the narrator and I'm Alan Adale or the Rooster. If you're only familiar with Disney's Robin.
Speaker 2: Hood, I wish you were dressed like a rooster.
Speaker 1: Look, I almost was in the show. To be fair, I had a lot of pomp I love that and pizzaz But yeah, we do. The producers of the show wrote this hilarious script, just one hour sort of robin Hood story, the traditional Robin Hood story classic, but each night of the show, one actor gets pretty drunk before we go on an assigned actor and then continues drinking throughout the show and we just have to sort of improv around whatever Shenanigan's happen.
Speaker 2: They're given full rein to destroy their part any.
Speaker 1: Scene, and they do. Last time, Like last time we did this, characters main characters were dead halfway through the show, and you just have we as the actors, just have to go with whatever the drunk does. If it's safe, we have to kind of just roll with it. And so it would just randomly like made Marian got killed halfway through the show one night, and I feel.
Speaker 2: Like there was a win.
Speaker 1: We had to get her twin to come back. That's right.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like there was a romance between the sheriff. That's what it was, one of them. That's right. That was fun.
Speaker 1: Anything it happened. Some people asked last time when we talked about it if they could see it, and we only did one weekend last time. We're only doing one more weekend this time. A few different actors but otherwise mostly the same show. And it's the weekend before Halloween in Atlanta, So shoot us a message if you are in the city and want to catch it, because it's a it's it's a good time.
Speaker 2: It is a good time. It's a lot of fun. Plus you're, of course encouraged to drink. I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yes, not me, Yeah, you're I'm in charge of the drunk on stage and making sure they don't die. So I specifically am not drinking.
Speaker 2: That's right. You're the babysitter. But the rest of us are allowed to drink as much as we want.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look, alcohol makes Alcohol is every comedy theater show's best friend.
Speaker 2: It does help a lot for people to be a little loose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but seeing as how it's October, that of course changes everything around here on Ridiculous Romance too, because year one we started this tradition almost by accident, and we've loved it, y'all have loved it ever since. It's time for recripulous Romance, and that's when we take the spookiest, scariest, grossest, creepiest stories we can find that still fit the Ridiculous Romance category and we try and do them once a week throughout October. Tonight will be no different. In fact, a nice roll into the season.
Speaker 2: I think, true, true, because we're actually we're going to talk about Queen Victoria, not who.
Speaker 1: I think of when I think horror and murder and mystery.
Speaker 2: I know it's so true. We are not abused, but no, Queen Victoria actually had quite a fascination with the spirit world. She was a very powerful queen. Obviously, she had one of the longest reigns in British history until, of course, our girl, Queen Elizabeth the Second. She was very ably assisted by her husband, Prince Albert, and these two had a like Hollywood romance. They fell head over heels in love with each other. They were sexy into each other. They were doing it all the time, and when he died she suffered really intense depression. So when a thirteen year old medium named Robert James Lees claimed to have a message for her from her late husband, Victoria was all ears.
Speaker 1: So for our first.
Speaker 2: Recorptulous romance of the spooky season, let's find out how Queen Victoria ruled over the British Empire with the health of her husband's ghosts.
Speaker 1: Let's goot friends, a listen, well, let's beat say you welcome to Hell.
Speaker 2: There's no matchmaking, romantic taps, it's judged all cops, you're lying and crypts.
Speaker 1: I love my dag type of moms A ghost.
Speaker 2: Stood demonic dog that if.
Speaker 3: There's a spirit with a shift in jags, we'll put it an all show record.
Speaker 1: Row a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: So Victoria, she was fifth in line to inherit the throne when she was born in eighteen nineteen, but ahead of her were two elderly uncles with no kids. Her uncle William's two daughters, both of whom died as infants, and her own father, Edward, who died when Victoria was only a year old. So even though she didn't become the official air presumptive until she was eleven, you know, it was pretty easy to see that she was going to inherit.
Speaker 1: Well, we have people kept dropping off around this.
Speaker 2: Baby curiously, man, like this is some weird shit.
Speaker 1: I'd be looking at this baby fifth in line And'd be like, uh, numbers one, two, three, and four. Suspiciously, that's the first mystery. Which of the Pickwick triplets?
Speaker 2: I did it?
Speaker 1: Baby murderer?
Speaker 2: Okay, we clearly just finished only murders in the building.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, many people were like, Okay, it's definitely going to be this little girl, except for Victoria herself. Funnily enough, her governess Louise Lesson slipped a copy of the genealogy of the House of Hanover into one of Victoria's like lesson books, and when she studied it, that's when she realized like, oh shit, I'm going to be the next monarch. And she is reported to have said quote, I will be good. Oh she is, like, I've seen some shit kings and queens in our past. I'll do I'm gonna try to be a good one. And that became like kind of a big folk legend that she didn't know until she saw and then she was like, I'm gonna be good.
Speaker 1: So she meant I will be good, I will be good at it, I will be kind yeah, and neither oh, I'll be good like I'll be the best theraist, which is never a good attitude to take into a leadership position.
Speaker 2: It could have been that, but I feel like, was she like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Good, I'll be good. You guys can have it. I'll be good.
Speaker 2: Somebody call I don't know when I old uncles or something still around.
Speaker 1: Well, if she became queen before she turned eighteen, of course the nation would have a regent in charge, and that would have been Victoria's mother.
Speaker 2: The Duchess of Kent too, the doctors of Kent.
Speaker 1: Now, unfortunately, the Duchess of Kent was close as crabs with her comptroller, Sir John Conroy. Some people even thought that they might have been lovers. Of course, a lot of scholars have dismissed that idea. But together these two schemed up all kinds of ways to keep Victoria under their control and away from her powerful uncles. We've seen this a thousand times in every sort of historical regal drama, the regency drama.
Speaker 2: That we see, it's always this power behind the throne.
Speaker 1: Now, they created what was called the Kensington system, and this was an elaborate set of rules about how Victoria would be educated and how she could behave and with whom she could spend her time, which was only these two other kids and her dog, Dad Spaniel. So this Duchess and John Conroy, along with the Duchess's lady in waiting, Flora Hastings, who also rumors that might have been the Duchess's lover.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about this is that, like if you're in a court, everybody's like, she probably fuckings somebody, you know, They're all just whisperings.
Speaker 1: That is not unlike today.
Speaker 2: It's so true. So I don't know how much I believe any of that.
Speaker 1: You were always like two people, a man the woman spending time together. Oh, two women spending time together.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, I guess there's not a lot to do in this time period. So maybe that was the common wait a while away, it just came only lasts so long. There's only so many books one can read.
Speaker 1: Well regardless, still just rumors. Point being that the Duchess and Conroy made Victoria's childhood extremely lonely and isolating, right, that was kind of the point. The idea was to make her really weak willed, really dependent on them for her judgment, so that even once she was old enough to rule alone, they would still have a lot of power concentrated in their hands.
Speaker 2: She would constantly be turning to them like what should I do? What should I do? But as she got older, Victoria was pressured constantly to make Sir John Conroy her personal secretary, which was given quite a lot of power over like, you know, her messages and everything else around her. But by then she hated Sir John, she hated her mother, and she hated Flora Hastings.
Speaker 1: So she refused the three people who oppressed her her entire childhood.
Speaker 2: She did Fondo didn't like anymore.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that plan backfired all right.
Speaker 2: And fortunately she was not the only one who disapproved of this little contingent that was about her ears, you know, like her uncle, King William the Fourth once declared in the Duchess's presence that he intended to live until Victoria was eighteen, just so they could avoid a regency with her in argap, which I just think is so funny. He's like, I can plan my death and guess what it's time to keep. Mom makes sure that you never have an official role here.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: He also, of course, had some thoughts about who Victoria should marry. Oh and he favored Prince Alexander of the Netherlands, but her other uncle, King Leopold of the Belgians, offered up his nephew, Prince Albert of Sex, Coburg and Gotham.
Speaker 1: I also love that William and everybody hated these three so much because I have to relate everything back to TV to make it work in my brain, because I'm a millennial and I'm broken like that. You could just see these characters just being the most sniveling, obnoxious, power hungry, and how could you not see that constantly? It's so obvious, you know when these schemers are scheming. Oh yeah, they're not subtle about it. Well. The minute that Victoria met her cousin Albert in eighteen thirty six, poorl Alexander, King William's choice didn't stand a chair because Victoria went straight into her diary and started writing about how handsome and charming Albert was, while alex got one line about being quote very plain.
Speaker 2: Damn. I mean, it's like galling. She's just like paragraphs of like his beautiful face and his charm of manner whatever. And then she's like alex he was there too.
Speaker 1: She's just doodled in the margins missus Albert and Saxe, Coburg and Gotha, and then yeah, a little doodle of Alexander in with like a fark cloud around him. Oh no. Victoria even thanked her uncle Leopold.
Speaker 3: For quote, the prospect of great happiness you have contributed to give me in the person of dear Albert. He possesses every quality that could be desired to render me perfectly happy. He is Sue sensible, Sue kind, and Sue good, and Sue amiable too. He has besides the most pleasing and delightful steria and appearance you can possibly see.
Speaker 1: But since Victoria was only seventeen at this point, marriage itself would have to wait a little while, but pretty clear that she had her eyes on the price.
Speaker 2: She knew who she wanted at this point. But Victoria turned eighteen on May twenty fourth, eighteen thirty seven, and less than a month later, King William died.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Wow.
Speaker 2: Straight, he was like clinging to life until her birthday.
Speaker 1: I just want to make sure the Duchess of Kent's not control here. Oh thank god, I can die. Give me the cocaine.
Speaker 2: Keep my eyes open until May twenty fifth. So anyway, he died. She became the Queen of England.
Speaker 1: Okay, and as queens.
Speaker 2: She started off pretty popular. You know, she's young, she's beautiful, right, They're all like, hey, love this beautiful queen of ours. But then the Duchess's lady in waiting, Lady Flora Hastings, started walking around with what looked like a baby bump. Oh and she wasn't married, so this caused a lot talk and Victoria of course hated that bitch, so she was very excited to talk about her. She's like, yeah, she probably is pregnant. And guess who I think the dad is? Oh, Sir John Conroy, that other bitch.
Speaker 1: But I hate wow.
Speaker 2: So she was kind of getting in on these rumors. They got worse and worse. Finally Flora agreed to an official like medical examination. Okay, This medical examination found out that a Flora was a virgin b she was not pregnant, so we don't have like a Messiah situation going on with Flora. See, she had a large tumor on her liver which had distended her stomach, and she only had a few months left to live. Oh my god, it's like the worst possible house. That's awful, especially to be like examination.
Speaker 1: Talking shit like she's got she's pregnant, and then find oh, no, she's terminally ill.
Speaker 2: Not only is she a virgin, has never had sex. Wow, she's like terminally sick, and you've been making fun of her tomb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this was pretty crushing, and Victoria did feel very bad. It's reported that she had nightmares about Flora for years afterwards. So a lot of guilt there, right, which is, you know, just a lesson for everybody. We don't need to be talking shit so much. You know it's gonna come back and bite you. But it wasn't just that. It was also Sir John Conroy, Flora's family, the opposition party, the Tories. They all got together and they started a press campaign criticizing Victoria for throwing a dying woman into a month's long scandal and making her final months miserable. So she's already feeling bad and all these people are like, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Should feel right, You're a real piece of shit.
Speaker 1: They were hoping to discredit her so she would be forced to give Conroy a position in her court, and they did succeed at making her very unpopular. Now, as soon as Victoria had become queen, she had relegated Sir John Conroy and her mother, the Duchess, to a small, faraway apartment in the palace, and she refused to see either one of them. But since she was still single, she did still have to live with her mother, which meant, of course that she still had to live with John Conroy too, who was her chief tormentor.
Speaker 2: Right, So the whole time this is happening, this man's in her house. I mean it's a it's Buckingham Palace. She's not tripping over him, but she's like, get him out of my house. So she's complaining about this to her Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne at the time, who told her, of course, the quickest solution would be to get married, because then she could have vict her mother, and her mother would take John Conroy with her. And Victoria called it a quote shocking alternative, but you know, she was still totally crushing on Albert. So she, you know, she was kind of like a little not wanting to get married and give up you know, some of her position as queen, right, but also she's going, let me get this hottie up in my bed, body up in here. So she finally proposed to him, and they were married in February eighteen forty, and Victoria discoveredude sex. She wrote in her diary after her wedding night quote, I never never spent such an evening my dearest, dearest dear Albert. His excessive love and affection gave me feelings of heavenly love and happiness I never could have hoped to have felt before. They clasped me in his arms, and we kissed each other again and again. His beauty, his sweetness, and gentleness. Really, how can I ever be thankful enough to have such a husband. To be called by names of tenderness I have never yet heard used to me before? Was bliss beyond belief. Oh, this was the happiest day.
Speaker 1: Of my life. She I mean, she is like God. I feel like I'm gonna hear Senator John Kennedy reading that out on this Congress floor.
Speaker 2: I will give you the best low job.
Speaker 1: That's in the news. If you'all haven't seen that one yet, look it up. Senator John Kennedy reading a pornographic book is one of the best clips of the of the past, of this of the year, and.
Speaker 2: One of the least sexy things you'll ever hear.
Speaker 1: Shot we could.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so she's she is like I found out what an orgasm, is very excited about it, and I want more. Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Albert a generous lover's handled business. And this is probably probably why she wanted to put him in a can. Prince Albert in a can.
Speaker 2: I don't know this, you know, I don't know that. I'm sorry that I made that joke. Fall Rell flat. I don't know it was.
Speaker 1: It's a very old joke. It's like a like a prince. Do you have Prince Albert in a can? We'll let him out of the house. Oh, because it was it's a I think it's a chew tobacco product or no, it's a pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot about it.
Speaker 1: Anyway has been Eli's year old jokes. Thanks for tuning in, everybody.
Speaker 2: I thought Prince Albert was the piercing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Also you don't put that in the can.
Speaker 2: Maybe he had a penis piercing that added to the situation. I don't know why it's called the Prince Albert.
Speaker 1: Uh, readers, let us know. I don't feel like I don't feel like adding that to my Google searches.
Speaker 2: No thanks, So at any rate, all have to say, Queen Victoria loved doing it. She's got she's real into whatever Albert.
Speaker 1: Had going on down men had the moves.
Speaker 2: Within two months of their marriage. She was pregnant, and of course her popularity soared. Once again, nothing better than a pregnant queen.
Speaker 1: People love a pregnant queen. And you know, they kept at it all day, all nights, every surface of Buckingham Palace. Probably in all they would go on to have nine children together, the two of them also together whether several assassinations attempts, and these actually made Albert more popular with the public because he was very cool headed in a crisis. He was a quiet guy, but he was a great dad. The fact that all nine of their kids lived to adulthood was credited to Albert's quote enlightened influence in running the nursery. Bio biographer named Hermione Hobhouse.
Speaker 2: Love that name, Mione Hobhouse British.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Albert even got Victoria to dismiss her old Governess Louise Lessen, who had been kind of running the household the whole time before him. Lesson had been the one who helped Victoria build a strong personality in spite of this Kensington system that her mother and Conroy raised her with, and she had supplanted Victoria's mother, in Victoria's own affections, kind of more of a motherly figure than her mother herself.
Speaker 2: Victoria called her mother on several occasions.
Speaker 1: But Lessen was also the one who was out there spreading rumors about Flora Hastings and that kind of blew back against Victoria. Albert hated her for that, so to keep him happy, Victoria pensioned her off.
Speaker 2: I mean, it says a lot about her feelings for Albert that she was willing to send this lady away who had been like her main source of comfort so long. Yeah, and Victoria also relied on his advice and assistance. But fortunately Albert had some cool notions. He was actually four child labor laws instead of against he was like maybe kids shouldn't be working.
Speaker 1: Oh, child labor laws. I'm four child labor laws in that we should stop getting up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should put children, we should put them to work.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: At the time, it was a big thing whether kids could work in factories, you know whatever, and he was like, no, kids should go to school, kids should not do that. He also wanted to abolish slavery worldwide. He's also credited with being the guy who kind of felt that the British royal family should be above politics. So he's sort of the reason we have this distance between the royal family and the Parliament that seems pretty average now. And he also arranged the Great Exhibition, which is basically the the first World's Fair. Wow, and people like fought him every step of the way. They were like, don't bring that foreign stuff into my you know, my country or whatever. But of course it was an enormous success, so they were like, oh shit. Albert's a smart guy. So over the years his influence only grew and he ended up like helping with Victoria's government paperwork. He started drafting or correspondence. He would attend cabinet meetings. He would even see cabinet ministers alone without Victoria. So a clerk named Charles Greville wrote in his private journal quote, he is king to all intents and purposes.
Speaker 1: Man, I want to put this guy in a can and carry him out, all right.
Speaker 2: He sounds like a smart cat.
Speaker 1: Just oh yeah, things look pretty dark. I'm gonna pop open at cant Albert, see what happens. But you know, it's ridiculous romance, and as is often the case, tragedy awaited. Their eldest son, Bertie, was at Cambridge at this point, and the Queen had heard that he was consorting with an Irish actress named Nellie actress excuse me. They were terrified that this girl was going to get pregnant, or start some kind of scandal, or even start blackmailing Birdie something like that. So Albert went to visit the kid and discuss him, you know, getting his shit together. A few weeks later, though, Albert died of typhoid fever. But two years prior to his illness with typhoid, Albert had been dealing with intense pain in his stomach and legs, So there's some scholars that think that he might have already been suffering with Crohn's disease or maybe even kidney failure or stomach cancer. So unsure exactly what it was that led to his death, or that he would not have died soon anyway, but Victoria was devastated. Obviously, we know how much she loved him, and she went into deep mourning. She would only wear black for the rest of her life. She locked herself away from the public. She became so remote that she was known as the Widow of Windsor. She slept with a plaster cast of Albert's hand, and she also kept Albert's room exactly the way it was, wouldn't touch anything. The servants even came in each night to lay out fresh clothes and hot water and change the sheets.
Speaker 2: No one was in there as if he was coming home. I find that so sad. A plaster cast of his hand makes me really sad, because you know, she just wants to hold She just.
Speaker 1: Wants to hold it.
Speaker 2: That's so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, unless your mind slips into the gutter like mine. But I'm going to go with it. She was just holding his hands up against her face on the pillow at night. I mean, I think he would probably go with it from those diary entries.
Speaker 2: Okay, However, speculation station it was a masturbation aid. But not long after Albert's death, someone brought a startling story to Victoria's attention. It was the editor of a spiritualist magazine who had recently sat in on a seance. Now, at this time, spiritualism was as in vogue as scientific advantage. Sort of. The funny thing about the Victorian age the spirit you know, alongside everyone being like, let's measure in way I categorize everything, they were very concerned with the unknowable, you know, which is really interesting. Nothing preoccupied the Victorian mind more than if there was life after death, and if so, what was going on in how can I talk?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess that makes sense if you're in an age where you're really looking a lot of scientific advancements and you're trying to answer I mean, isn't that what science often is is the pursuit of answering the unanswerable. Right, So your mind is already in that place and you're just like, Okay, I figured out why water turns to steam when you heat it up. Now tell me what happens when we die? Right?
Speaker 2: Can I not talk to my mom?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like goes in that order water into steam. What happens when we die.
Speaker 2: Amazing. There's so many reasons that it took off spiritualism, and one of them I think is interesting is that they found women to be better mediums than men because they were considered a more spiritual sure, so there's a lot of actually a lot of women's rights sort of marched along with spiritualism and mediums and stuff because they were able to gain some power and influence. They were able to make money on their own. So all that to say, spiritualism is huge at this time. Everybody's into it. Even Charles Dickens, our old friend, who did not believe in spiritualism at all, was writing ghost stories. You know, people will prop preoccupied.
Speaker 1: I know it exactly.
Speaker 2: Victoria and Albert had even attended a few seances themselves. Victoria particularly into this. They even awarded a particularly convincing medium with a medal for quote meritorious and Extraordinary clairvoyant. So after Albert died, Victoria received this letter from this editor of the Spiritualist magazine telling her about this seance that he had attended. She probably would have been interested anyway, but it was even more attention grabbing because He said that the thirteen year old medium Robert James Lees, had received a message from beyond for the Queen herself, and he claimed that it was from the Prince Consort Albert. Oh my god, what did Albert have to say? We will tell you right after this quick break, Welcome spirits. Oh back to the show.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just got a chill. The curtains just rustled. Look. Most of the information that follows here comes from the book Whisperers, The Secret History of the Spirit World by J. H. Brennan. Now, a chunk of the book concerning Queen Victoria was reprinted in The Daily Beasts, so that's where we found most of this. Brennan says that, of course, any historian will tell you that Victoria had a nervous breakdown after Albert died, and she retreated from public and political life for over two years. She stopped trusting her own judgment. She preferred to wonder what Albert might have done, but Brennan suggests that she actually found a way to ask for his advice, as if he were still alive. When she heard about this message that Robert James Lees claimed to have, Victoria had to move carefully. She wasn't stupid, right, she did have a healthy skepticism about Lee's about I'm sure mediums in general. Even when she was having a good time and saying, oh you did so well, she's like okay, rationally, if I had to say so. It wasn't unusual for a famous death to attract all kinds of fake mediums pretending to have messages for the grieving family. Victoria knew this as well, so she summoned a couple of her courtiers and told them to attend the next Lee's seance undercover.
Speaker 2: So, using fake names and not revealing their connection to the palace, the two courtiers went to the seance. Now, according to Brennan, these men were not believers in spiritualism, so they were probably trying not to laugh as they entered the seance room, sure, which would have likely been filled with candles and oil lamps on low, maybe decorated with red drapes because that was believed to enhance communication between the living and the dead. Now, the participants would have all held hands as Robert James Lees welcomed the spirit of Prince Albert to join them, and we don't have details of the exact methods used by Lee's. There were lots of different methods that mediums used at this time. They often communicated with spirits through taps and wraps, so they would ask a question once for yes, twice forno okay. Sometimes they would go into a large cabinet for part or all of the seance, and they would maybe shout messages that they were receiving from inside the cabinet, or they would come out possessed by the spirit. Often the cabinets would then be covered with like gooey ecdo plasma, so it's proof that some uncanny activity had happened in there. Some used weed aboards, or they had pencils rigged up over paper, so messages would be written or drawn by an unseen hand.
Speaker 1: And it seems like Lee's would go into a trance in front of his guests because to the courtier's surprise, Lee's began to speak in Prince Albert's voice. It was uncanny. They grew more and more uneasy as Lee's described rivate details of life at the palace that only Albert would have known h drapped in this cab My penis was Peters, who else could have known these things? Even more terrifying. He called the courtiers out by name, their real names, not the fake ones that they had given Lees. They were forced to admit that they were there on the Queen's behalf, and they questioned the ghost of Albert further. What they heard impressed them so much they sent a glowing report to Victoria. This medium might be the real deal.
Speaker 2: Victoria had barely finished reading it when she received a letter from Lee's, a letter he said was really from Albert. This was an example of automatic writing, which is when the spirit would take over the body of the medium or just their hand even and use it to write a message. Brennan says the letter was signed with a personal pet name only Albert and Victoria used, and it was chock full of personal details. Victoria was convinced. She sent for Lees, who held a seance in Buckingham Palace for her, and she was thrilled to hear Albert's voice once again. She invited Lee's back over and over. In all, he held nine seances for her. She finally asked if he wanted to take up residence in the palace and become the court medium. Lee's consulted with his spirit guides, but they told him to decline. Fortunately, Albert wasn't too picky about who could speak for him Lee's as Prince Albert told the Queen that a new medium had been chosen to be his conduit. Quote the boy who used to carry my guns at bellmorle Haw.
Speaker 1: This boy was John Brown, and he had been the Prince's gilly, or the guy who goes along on fishing and hunting expeditions, especially in the Scottish Highlands. He would have been over twenty years old when he started working with the royals, but not really a boy, but he worked with the family for years, so he became a personal friend of Albert's and was eventually promoted to a permanent position leading the Queen's pony. Victoria wasn't surprised that he was a medium either, because she had become convinced that he had a second sight when only weeks before Albert's death, John Brown had said goodbye to them at Balmoral Castle, hoping they traveled safely and quote above all that you may have no deaths in the family.
Speaker 2: So she said, and then Albert died and John saw that con.
Speaker 1: Although to say, hope nobody dies, and then someone dies to me is suspicious.
Speaker 2: You're a suspect, John, how'd you give him typhoid from Scotland?
Speaker 1: But anyway, what most people saw at this point when Victoria turned to John Brown was a grieving widow turning to a close friend at a time that she a difficult time. But the Queen started to rely heavily on Brown, and his influence over her raised a lot of eyebrows. Now we're going to get into that and maybe unravel the mystery of some of these spooky seances. Right after this BREAKO, wellcome sorry, I'm doing some of my yellow exercise. It is still so yeah.
Speaker 2: Pretty quickly Victoria started to rely kind of heavily on John Brown, her servant, and that was super weird for people around the castle. The Daily Mail recounts that she would gaze at one of her many busts of Albert when she was asked a question about what to do. Then she would look at John Brown before giving her answer. She consulted him about everything, or at least to He was also allowed kind of extraordinary license with his behavior. He was allowed to smoke around her, which even her sons could not do. Her second son, the Duke of Edinburgh, even said that he had been evicted from Buckingham Palace for refusing to shake John's hand. Instead of calling Victoria your majesty, he would call her woman, what like hey woman? And he would repeatedly tell her off to her face. Ah, just lots of very clear instances of them being pretty intimate with one another. She allowed him a lot of freedom in the way he behaved around her, and he got very high handed with the rest of the royal staff, and so it wasn't long before he was pretty universally hated around the court. They didn't like how much power this guy had.
Speaker 1: Then, no one could understand the hold that this guy had over the Queen either, So naturally most decided that Victoria and John Brown must have been lovers, the queen a woman and a man's time together. I mean, there was a lot to support that theory, though The Guardian writes that John Brown had taken up residents in rooms adjoining the Queen's, according to Courtier, who said it was quote contrary to etiquette and even decency.
Speaker 2: We remember that from our Queen Elizabeth the First and Lord Robert Dudley episode where he had rooms next to yours. There are a lot of rumors.
Speaker 1: Victoria's daughters joked about quote Mama's lover, and newspapers speculated that a secret marriage had even taken place, maybe even a secret child, and they began calling Queen Victoria missus Brown.
Speaker 2: Oh, Missus Brown, You've got a lovely daughter.
Speaker 1: Missus Brown was also the name of a nineteen ninety seven movie about this relationship, starring Judy Dench and the Great Billy Connolly. The Great Judy Dench, they're both the great what they're both great? Victoria even created two Medals of Service just for John Brown, though one was given him for foiling another possible assassination attempt, So that's legit, Like, I just think respectable.
Speaker 2: Faithful, meritorious service. You took a bullet for me.
Speaker 1: But if, as Brennan writes, she believed that John Brown was a direct conduit to her beloved husband, it makes a lot of sense why he had so much influence over her right exactly now.
Speaker 2: A sculptor named Edgar Boehm spent several months at Balmoral sculpting a bust of John Brown for the Queen, and he once told Catherine Walters, who is one of Edward the Seventh mistresses that quote. The queen, who had been passionately in love with her husband, got it into her head that somehow the Prince's spirit had passed into Brown, so he believed she allowed him quote every conjugal privilege. Ooh. It seems that whenever she needed Albert's advice, she would simply get Brown to conduct a seance and tell her what Albert thought she should do. Once, The Daily Mail recounts she left a meeting of the Privy Council to consult with Albert, returning to tell them quote the Prince was hostile to any act of war by England. And then, of course there were plenty of skeptics who were like, this guy does not have a direct line to the ghost of Albert. He is totally faking this, And they started thinking that, you know, he was kind of exploiting Victoria's well known fascination with spiritualism. They started calling him quote resputant in a kilt man.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, when he came back around and was like, uh, Prince Albert says, I can blow my smoke in your face woman.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, if he thinks it's best.
Speaker 1: Prince Albert says, time for a pay raise. When John Brown died in eighteen eighty three, the rumors somehow gained even more power because the Queen was devastated by his death, much like Albert's. She likened it to losing Albert. She said that life quote for a second time, had given her a heavy blow. She wrote quote, perhaps never in history was there so strong and true, an attachment so warm and loving, a friendship between the sovereign and servant. She wanted to write a memoir of John Brown's life, including all the seances that he had conducted for her, but she was advised against this. A lot of her writing about those seances ended up being burned, so.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately we don't have a lot of the information about the seances right.
Speaker 1: And when Queen Victoria herself died years later, her face was surrounded by her wedding veil, her hands covered in rings from Albert and her children, and she had one of Albert's cloaks, a handkerchief, and the plaster cast of his hand with her. But secretly, the doctor James Reid dropped a few other items in her coffin as well. John Brown's mother's wedding ring was placed on one of Victoria's fingers, his photograph in her hand, along with some of his head and a handkerchief that belonged to him. I mean, so.
Speaker 2: She was mementos, yeah, of someone she really loved. Now, of course, not everyone is convinced that they were lovers. There's not a lot of evidence to support it, like written down evidence or anything. They're not even convinced that John Brown really had that much influence on her. Kind of like it was an intimate relationship, but it doesn't follow that it was sexual, okay, and he didn't really care about politics, so what would have been the point to trusted rascootin and a kilt thing. There's lots of reasons for this. Some say Victoria would never consider lowering herself to have sex with a servant, she was not that type of gal, Or that Victoria didn't approve of widow's remarrying, so she never would have had a secret marriage with this guy, or you know, she was also raised in a time when women were taught that men were superior. Even the Queen was taught that. For example, she called Albert master and he called her child, which is not that unusual. Child was kind of a common endearment for a man to call his wife okay at that time, so the you know their feeling is she would she could never see an inferior man who had to call her mistress or whatever as a partner. However he called her woman. So we don't know, I know, right, we don't know. But even in her own time, some of Victoria's court thought Brown was pretty harmless, and in fact were relieved that she had put her trust in someone with zero political aspirations. He did not try to use that position to gain power for himself for members of his family. Nothing like that. Interesting, More often than not, when she was faced with a tough political issue, she wouldn't turn to Brown at all. She would turn to her favorite Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli, who on his deathbed in eighteen eighty one quipped that no one should send for the queen quote. She would only ask me to take a message to Albert. Oh wow, which it's just because a funny.
Speaker 1: I love that they knew back then that she was just never stop talking about it. No.
Speaker 2: Well, and I would also like to say that that's not the only say on so she had. She also had seances with different mediums to talk to children of hers that had.
Speaker 1: Departed kidding her.
Speaker 2: So she had several She was really into this, Okay, she was into it, and again it was well known. Disraeli's like, I don't want to talk to anyone's ghost. M So there's a lot of reasons why people kind of dismissed this idea. They were just like, he was just a really good friend.
Speaker 1: The Oxford Dictionary of Biography likens John Brown basically a court gesture of old right. For Victoria, the loss of Albert was also the loss of the one man on earth who could tell her about herself. And without him, she was surrounded by courtiers. Even her children were her subjects. They were all too terrified to talk to her like a person. When Albert died, Victoria even said, quote, who will call me Victoria?
Speaker 2: Now that's such a melancholy line. I don't know, it made me sad to read that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John Brown's gruffness, his willingness to speak his mind to her, and his lack of interest in political power is pretty much exactly what she valued. When she asked Alfred Tennyson to write lines for John Brown's tombstone, she wrote about him, quote he had no thought but for me, my welfare, my comfort, my safety, my happiness. Courageous, unselfish, totally disinterested, discreet to the highest degree, speaking truth fearlessly and telling me what he thought and considered to be just and right, without flattery, and without saying what would be pleasing if he did not think it right. The comfort of my daily life is gone. The void is terrible, the loss is irreparable.
Speaker 2: I think that says a lot about it, really, what she really liked about him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know she was.
Speaker 2: She liked sex. We know that about Victory, so you know, maybe she did find herself some comfort somewhere.
Speaker 1: She liked sex with Albert. We know that with Albert. I mean he didn't see I don't remember seeing any journal entries about anybody else she was banging. She wrote a lot, so maybe she tried and it was just like some things, no one can replace Albert on.
Speaker 2: I'd rather sleep with my plaster cast his hand.
Speaker 1: Oh, Albert's plaster cast is a more generous lover than you'll ever be. John Brown.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: I feel like John Brown doesn't sound like a generous lover to me.
Speaker 2: He does not, He does not. There is a little story where her doctor James reed once like happened upon the Queen and John Brown together, okay, and he don't know what they're joking about. The only two lines her we know is that John Brown lifted his kilt to show his knee and said is it here? And Queen Victoria lifted her skirt and said, no, it is here. So they're like, there's something going on there because it's very unusual in Victorian times to show your limb to a man that was very I may as well have popped a boob out at him or something. So the doctor clearly saw it as strange enough that he had to write it down in his diary. That's the reason we know about that story.
Speaker 1: Well, it was the old two knees.
Speaker 2: Joke, the old the old two knees flirting.
Speaker 1: Which, uh, which nie is? Yeah? Which knee am I gonna? Well, I don't know what the old two knees joke is. Well, I guess that's it.
Speaker 2: We don't know. Setup no punchline, but the worst kind of joke. But I kind of think I don't know. It's it's just very funny because she's such an interesting character. Victoria. She liked Benjamin Disraeli because he flattered her a lot. He even had a joke about like laying it all with a trowel or something like that. But then she likes John Brown because he doesn't. So she clearly just needs different things from different people. She likes having some guy around her that does not cow tow sure, and she liked having somebody who I don't know it wasn't afraid of being fired or beheaded or something by her, you know, who could talk to her like a regular person to be a friend.
Speaker 1: I mean, isn't that the real power of being a queen too? Is Like I obviously people's default mode is going to be towards subservience and doing whatever they think makes you happy. But you can also get a couple of people to say you kind of have control over that. I don't have control over that. Like people are going to do one or the other around me. I got nothing to say about it, And usually it's the latter. Usually it's people telling me to my face what's wrong with everything I'm doing? Present company included.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what you mean. I've never spoken a word of criticism, so.
Speaker 1: You know, it just another benefit of that royal life, I guess right.
Speaker 2: And the drawback though, because I think, you know, everyone talking to her wanted something. Yeah, and so she's like, I like this guy, I don't want nothing from me. He just wants to do what he's doing.
Speaker 1: But how many of those how many those people were offered up to her that she dismissed or or punished. I do wonder that, you know, because at the same time, it's she she wants everybody to tell her what she you know, she wants people to reveal with her until she doesn't one day and is like, how dare you speak like that? I'm the queen.
Speaker 2: Well, and she's the reason her kids were kind of afraid of her too, she was. She never let them forget that she was the queen and not just their mother, so that, you know, there she had a little bit to you know, she had responsibility for that for sure. But but yeah, and I do wonder sometimes, just with knowing about the Kensington system, how much because she's she was a decisive person. Oh no, I'm not trying to take away her agency here as a queen. She made decisions. She was not just handing off her power right and left to different men.
Speaker 1: Or anything.
Speaker 2: But I do wonder how much she second guessed herself just because of growing up with people being like you should be second guessing yourself at all times. Not only does she have that coordinated campaign to make her like that, but she also was already growing up in a time where it's like women aren't really that smart, women don't really know what to do, women don't know how life. You can't do life, and you know what I mean. So it's just like you have from so many different sides this feeling of am I should I? Am I really the right person to be doing this? Should I not? You know what I mean? So anyway, I just feel like she must have had a lot of conflicting, a lot of mixed emotions around that sort of thing. Yeah, where she's like, I need my respect that I deserve and if you don't show it, I have to you know, I'd be like fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also I wish I had a friend who could just josh around with me about my knees.
Speaker 3: But two knees joke, Oh, nobody's done two knees with me since Albert's played two.
Speaker 2: Knees with me now, So you know, I don't know do you think she was fucking John Brown?
Speaker 1: Do I think she was? On this?
Speaker 2: Based on this evidence, I'll.
Speaker 1: Say, I don't know. It kind of feels like it because it's sort of she's got like a in a sexual sense, she's got subvibes to me, like a submissive, like she likes having a daddy and uh, you know, and like somebody is sort of like the more dominant hand plaster or flesh, whichever it may be. And again, that might come back from social conditioning, whether that was her upbringing or just like you said, women of the time or whatever. But she seemed to kind of maybe maybe take some pleasure in someone who kind of stood up to her. I might have been thrilling. You see that a lot with people who are I'm not saying you see it a lot, but the general idea is that people in high level, powerful positions in the bedroom are willing to hand that power over to someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they want to not make decisions for a minute, and they want to be told to do and.
Speaker 1: Maybe not even just in the bedroom, it might even be in their relationship. You know, it's like I go home and that the other person's in charge. Yeah, I'm in charge all day. So she to me their dynamic Carson. John Brown's feels like that, like he's like, hey, you do what I say. I call you woman, I do what I want around you. You know? Was she like did that kind of turn her on a little bit?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe maybe no, no telling.
Speaker 2: I gotta wonder too if she's just like one person has to love me, specially just me and have my welfare at heart. I'm their main concern because she had Louise her governess. Then she went to Albert, then she went to John Brown. You know, she only has the one person kind of as a confidant. Everybody else is like everybody else. Yeah, So I wonder too if she's like not capable of having two confidants at once, like she doesn't believe you know what I mean. I don't know if that's just a pattern she got into.
Speaker 1: Also did we kind of brought up earlier, but like did John Brown ever say, oh, Albert wants to have sex with you, Victoria, so through me, right, he would like to And of course that's like kind of tantamount to rape, right, I mean, like I'm giving you the false yeah, pretext, I'm taking advantage of your frash and emotional state to have second you. That's pretty twisted, right Did John Brown do that? I don't know. He's certainly I know he didn't use it to get political power. But if he's not communicating with the ghost of Prince Albert, and personally I don't think he was, then he was using it for something. I mean, whether it was just a comfy bedroom to sleep in at night, or you know, getting laid by the Queen. I don't know, maybe I mean.
Speaker 2: But also you have to keep in mind there's a different feeling in the UK about your queen. You know, there are plenty of people who are like it would be the honor of my life, a privilege of my life to be a close person to the Queen. I would like nothing more than to help them. And if he really did dedicate himself to her interests like that, he might have been like, whatever it makes her feel better. I'll pretend to be Albert and I'll say whatever you think is right is what you should do.
Speaker 1: But you can let me smoke around you.
Speaker 2: But I want to smoke.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. The fact that he called her woman doesn't make me feel like he had all this reverence for the position of the queen. I don't know that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't decide myself because I'm like part of me is like I don't believe it because she was just so so in love with Albert, and she was in love with him her whole life. She never stopped loving him, so I'm like she never really considered herself open to love someone else. I don't know if that means she said no one can have sex with me again, but it seems to be really tied up. Sex and love were very tied up for her, so I would be surprised.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: But if you found some real, real evidence of it, and I could see her being very lonely and wanting a friend and saying, you can call me whatever, I don't care. Because he had been Albert's friend too, so he knew Albert. He could talk to her about Albert.
Speaker 1: I don't know, my I think where I'm landing is that I think that combined her talking about him after he died, her grief and despair after John Brown died being the only thing that ever matched Albert's death, and her being so in love with Albert and thinking that John Brown was a conduit for him. I think I think they were.
Speaker 2: Doing they were doing it. I think I do fa but fair enough, it could be.
Speaker 1: There's only one way to know for sure, and that's define that's to have a seance.
Speaker 2: Prince Albert, if you're here, well, speaking of the seances, I mean we we did hear some pretty gnarly stuff. They knew the courtier's names and he was speaking.
Speaker 1: With his voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we I mean, we can't know how real these stances are. We were not there. I think there are some people who do seem to have a knack with you contacting uncanny or having some kind of experience, and I'm not going to tell them they weren't having an experience. But it must be said that, of course, there were tons of ways to fool people in Victoria's time, and people, oh, we're doing it. It's a very lucrative scam.
Speaker 1: When people want to believe something, it's a lot easier to convince them that it's happening, very true.
Speaker 2: And we're time at desperate, sad people that they were praying on, so pretty fucked up. Predatory mediums would do a lot of crazy things to convince. For example, they would regularly hire actors and ventriloquists so they could make voices and whispers you know, sound around the room during a seyon.
Speaker 1: They would also use invisible ink, right, so all the medium would have to do is get some water sprinkled over a piece of paper, and then a message would appear.
Speaker 2: As if it was being written.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Chimney sweeps were paid to hang out in chimneys and wrap on the flu in response to question so once for yes, twice for no, and there's just a little seven year old up there or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of into this one too. They would make candles that included the deceased perfume or cologne, so when they would like them, the breeze would come in and be like, it smells like my late husband didn't here.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I mean that would be very convincing if you had a waft of your wife's perfume or something, Oh my god. Of course, fake ectoplasm is easily made with normal household things like flower water and corn starch, so not a hard thing to fake that out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sure. I'm often making pizza at night and be like, who got ectoplasm all over the counter. They even Obviously, photography was pretty new. Nobody really understood how photographs worked very well back then, so the people who did could make spirit photos by overlaying underdeveloped portraits that would make it seem like there was this ghostly figure captured in there. I mean, I can't even see a real photo that I took myself without thinking I photoshot ai. That's fake.
Speaker 2: But of course photography at the time, Yeah, that was the only way to capture the truth. If you saw a ghostly figure, it must have been there, you know. So lots of lots of ways to mess with people. And I do think it's really funny that they would go into a cabinet.
Speaker 1: This is what that's the one that really got made.
Speaker 2: I'm going to watch you, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Turn around. I will speak to the medium.
Speaker 2: I have invisibility powers, but only when you so yeah, you know, And of course we've all seen a million of these types of fakers, right. It's it's Victoria's fascination with spiritualism was so so well known that it's possible that whoever Robert James Lee's and whoever he was working with for these seances deliberately said, let's get a message from Albert, because then the queen will notice us. And then they might have said, oh, well, let's make sure we know if she's she's gonna send somebody to see how really you are. Let's make sure we know who they are, and when they come in, uh, Hans. They might have had somebody in the court, you know, leaking information center. They would have some private details. It's not hard to imagine how you could hoax that she send in Gerald and Philip and then make sure he says something about how glad he is. She still has his hand the night. That's good to comfort. She'll know what it means.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know, of course Lee's might have been like a good impressionist. See, and they must have heard Albert talk, yeah, before I give a speech or something, so they could fake up his voice somehow or something like that. Okay, but you know, it is also possible that the veil between living and dead is thinner than we think, especially in spooky season. Could be true that's something of our souls, our consciousness can imprint itself on the world and leave itself behind. It could be true that there's something.
Speaker 1: With us right now, Oh spooky, okay, all right, a royal seance for a dead prince ghost ghosts? Okay?
Speaker 2: Now, my my other question is if there really is a ghost of Prince Albert hanging out? Are he and Victoria hanging out? Or is he like lonely because no one talks to him anymore?
Speaker 1: I hope that if because Queen Victoria's a ghosts now too.
Speaker 2: In that case, they're they're they're doing it in the beyond and leave an ecoplasm all over.
Speaker 1: She tossed away that plaster hand was like, finally, I don't need this.
Speaker 2: Anymore, give me some spirit fingers.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's the spookiest image of all. Well, I like it. I don't know. I would love to see Lee's setting up this ghost heist basically, you know. Also insane to me that if they did, if they were like Queen Victoria, she's into spiritualism, Let's see if we can nab her. Like, if you're running a con operation of spiritualism and ghosts, you're going to go for a fish that big. That's that's ballsy, it is because that is drawing a lot of attention to yourself. And you know, fortunately she bought it. But to me, that's like, that's like we're gonna rob the Bellagio. You know. That's the big score that a lot of people have been like, why would you put yourself in that danger? I'm perfectly happy going after the First National Bank. A couple of times.
Speaker 2: This guy was like, I'm made for life though as a medium. I mean you must think that. Yeah, and especially because male mediums were less popular, maybe he was like, I really need to stand out. If I do some seances at Buckingham Palace, I mean, I'll be in demand.
Speaker 1: He told his crew this one last score and then we're out.
Speaker 3: We'll be sipping martini's in Malibu.
Speaker 2: What's a martini?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the better question. Okay, all right, well here's my question to you. Then?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: Uh? Who? What historical figure would you seance with? Mmmm?
Speaker 2: That I would most want to call to me? Questions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get one, you have one little sciance. It's it's the classic like who would you have lunch with? But they're they're actually.
Speaker 2: Dead right and they can only speak in caps and wraps or some shit.
Speaker 1: You taps and raps or through a medium conduit. Okay, listeners, I want you to email us your answers as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'd love to know who would I saance with? Hmmm, God, this is tough. So many people.
Speaker 1: I know what you're doing in your mind too well. It could be this, but then what about that?
Speaker 2: But then if I didn't do that, I'd be like, what would I rather stay on with someone who could tell me more about myself and my family history, or somebody you know, way from the past, or somebody who might have the key to a long held mystery or cold case or something that would be pretty cool to be able to find out.
Speaker 1: You know, he's just got some good stories, you know, right.
Speaker 2: That's really what I'm like, honestly, would rather just be like, tell me, you know about, I don't know, some cool party you went to and all the people that were there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark Twain, Yeah, might be really fun.
Speaker 2: I think about Oscar Wilde. I think he would be sure tell me everybody he was really talking about when he wrote the Importance of being arnestor or whatever. That's what I don't know. I feel like some part of me would be like, I'd rather talk to my dad's mom, who died when I was ten. I would love to know more about her life and like, you know, give me some of the dirt you know from your life and your family and stuff, because we don't only know much about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we only got your son's version, I know.
Speaker 2: Right, and he only got you know, probably your highly edited version because he's your son to tell him everything. So I need to know the truth. I want to know what really is going on with her, why she left Edinburgh, what's you know? All that stuff? So I don't know. That would be really fun, but it would also be really cool to be like, hey, Governor Morris, tell me about the founding of America. Yeah, true, and all your fun house parties and stuff. Who would you do? Who would you talk to?
Speaker 1: I think I would talk to right now. I just want to go to John Brown and be like, what was Scott? I'm your answers here, buddy, were you guys doing it or not?
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: That's just because it's on my mind. I know, I don't know. Mostly I just want to hear what you all think. Tell me about your spiritual seances, tell us, tell us if you've had one, because I'll tell you. And here's another question for you. Have you had communication with the other side, Yes, I.
Speaker 2: Would love to know that. What about you have I No, I have not, and I have been to a stay. We have actually conducted one ye and I was not a believer. I wasn't by the end either, but a lot of people that were there felt said that they felt things.
Speaker 1: Well, especially the person I was oijiing with that Ouigi was going nuts and she straight out told me half an hour later, oh yeah, I was moving that all over the place, and she is a believer. So I don't understand why that was what was happening there. But I did see a spooky, spooky spirit when I was a kid in my house, and others had claimed to see it as well, a young girl standing at the top of our basement stairs.
Speaker 2: So that was I do remember that.
Speaker 1: Robbiie one that stuck with me. And then I think I have told this story about when I when the the children's book that played sounds was going off in the middle of the night and I thought it was a train. But what I remember in my as I was waking up was pushing the b and on a like like reaching up and pushing some sort of button, which after I knew that it was a book of sounds. I was like, oh my god, it was that book like floating over my head and I pushed the button.
Speaker 2: Oh creepy.
Speaker 1: And then also I distinctly remember once as a kid looking up at the ceiling and the shadows from my lamp like turned into a face, like an animated face that was talking.
Speaker 2: Whoa that.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget that one.
Speaker 2: That's very creepy. Yeah, yeah, and I haven't had anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I should be happy or not.
Speaker 1: I just honestly don't recommend it. All those memories have stuck with me, and not in a positive way. I mean, they're cool stories, you know, but but I got other stories.
Speaker 2: The principle of my high school told us once she was a very pragmatic person, not a believer in magic, but she said she she experienced someone with telekinesis once she watched her move a lamp from one side of the room to the other with the moving just with their eyes or something.
Speaker 1: That's what I don't believe, because I have been trying so hard to move stuff with my mind. If you see me and I'm not actively engaged in conversation, I'm probably trying to move things around my mind.
Speaker 2: My only thought is that what if it's harder to move with your mind than with your body, so you'd just be like, I'd rather just fucking pick up the lamp. It gives me stuck a headache.
Speaker 1: I thought that if I if, like the power is that you can teleport, but it takes as long as it would for you to walk, Oh, would you still do it?
Speaker 2: Would you bother?
Speaker 1: I mean yes, I mean yes, I wouldn't have to walk.
Speaker 2: The thing is that I don't have to walk. I guess the question would be if it takes as long as a flight though, Like if you if you could teleport from here to Europe, but it took as long as a flight as a flight, absolute, would you still teleport?
Speaker 1: Why? Yeah? Why wouldn't I obviously deal with the airport anybody? My question is if it took you as long as it took to walk, so it would take you for you know, yeah, whatever weeks probably to get to Europe, would you fly or would you still teleport? Probably? Fly? I don't know. My time's not that valuable. Wow. If I don't have to deal with the airport, I don't have to get on a plane. If I don't have to get up to it. Rather, look, I've often said that with superpowers, I would be the laziest super person. I won't even say superhero of all time. I would be a real fat Spider Man because I'd be just getting I'd just be web slinging Dorito's from the cabinet to my to my lap, and that that'd be the long and short of my Spider powers.
Speaker 2: No, that is that is a that is a stone left unturned by a lot of these right superhero shows, Because I know we complained about this about the Flash on c W is that anybody who got powers besides the Flash was the bad guy to immediately be evil, And we were like, where are all the people that would get powers and literally do nothing not change their life very significantly. They would just like, oh now I don't have to get up out of my bed to turn on the line.
Speaker 1: Right, It'd probably be like, oh, I can control the weather. Great, it's rain today and I want to go outside, so I'm gonna make it not rain, or like I don't feel like going anywhere today, so I'm gonna do a little thunderstorm and read a book. Yeah, that's probably most people have six steps.
Speaker 2: Right, would be like I'm going to make sure it rains on my ex's wedding day or something.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not going to be maybe little, yeah, little scampy stuff like that, but not like I'm going to craft a tornado so I can rob a bank.
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, how many people really want to do all that? There's a lot of effort, is what I'm saying, And a lot of people don't like to put in a lot of efforts.
Speaker 1: Well, and I would argue that for most people, not being able to form a tornado at will is not the thing stopping them from robbing a bank. It's not the only thing, man, It's the only thing holding me back from robbing that bank. But I'll tell you, if I could create a tornado with my hands, it's sober for you, It's sober.
Speaker 2: For all, y'all. I'll be up in that first national.
Speaker 1: Right the bellagio.
Speaker 2: Oh y'all, we get robbed. What does a tornado play into this heist? Anyway?
Speaker 1: You know, tornado comes through the roof, it's in the vault, sucks up money, tornado.
Speaker 2: Tunnel it up. Okay, well then now it makes sense. Now I feel like if you can make a tornado. It's kind of weirdo. E is not as much as I expected.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm switching my exercises in telekinesis to now tornado creation.
Speaker 2: So that we can rob banks.
Speaker 1: So we can rob thanks. What a life?
Speaker 2: Well anyway, Austin. Sensibly this episode was about Queen victorious somewhere, so hopefully you enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of fun for us to talk about a lot of a lot of sauce on that. Hopefully, hopefully.
Speaker 2: You do reach out and tell us about your spooky experience or whom you would want to talk to if you were able to contact them in a stay on with you know, a legit Robert James, Lee's or whatever. You can reach us through email. It's ridict Romance at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's right, or we're on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I'm at O Grade, It's Eli, I'm at Dianamite Boom, and the show is at pridic Romance.
Speaker 1: Anna.
Speaker 2: We love you. We can't wait to contact more people from the beyond. Yes, back to another episode crypt Roma.
Speaker 1: So long friends time would we write again allos with your friends pads and pay for them. Our show