Speaker 1: Hand Me My Purse is a production of iHeart Podcasts. So on the Internet today, I found this and it says, speaking up for yourself can feel terrifying when life has led you to believe that you are responsible for managing other people's reactions. Reclaim your power by prioritizing your truth over their ego. I don't even feel like we have to dive into that too much, because you know, it seems like it's pretty self explanatory. I'm going to read it to you one more time so that you don't have to go back and listen to it again. It says speaking up for yourself can feel terrifying when life has led you to believe that you are responsible for managing other people's reactions. Reclaim your power by prioritizing your truth over there ego. I can't see that. Okay, what's up, y'all? Welcome to Hand Me My Purse the Podcast, and I'm me Me Walker, and I'll be your forever host each and every single time you tune into this podcast, So go ahead and get comfortable. Get yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, whether that's tap water with tapwater, ice cubes, some blood orange juice, a medicine ball from Starbucks, or a shot of jamison, and go light yourself a candle, some incense or burn some sage and just get ready to chill out and have yourself a good time. What's up, friends, and can it's me and me. Resident Auntie Supreme here and hand me my purse. And today I was sipping on mimosas. I had about four mimosas today at brunch and they were lovely. I also had some sangrea, but let's just focus on the mimosas right now. Okay, I am a big fan of mimosas. I prefer my Mimoses. Come on, come on, through ancestors. I prefer my Moses. I love that. Wait a minute, wait a minute, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. I prefer my Moses with that didn't tickle you, because it definitely tickled me. Okay, maybe you don't have the same kind of uh sense of humor that I have, but anyway, I prefer I'm going to say it like that now in real time. I prefer my Moses to have ninety seven percent champagne and three percent orange juice. I don't really like my mimosas to be opaque. They ought to just be a wee bit cloudy. I don't want them to look like I have orange juice. I want it to look like I have cloudy champagne. Okay, as a matter of fact, just give me the champagne and put an orange slice on the rim of the glass. Don't even put any juice in it. Save all that juice for the next woman's drink, because I don't really need that, you know what I mean? Wow, So, friends and ken, this jam is the jam because it has been on my spirit. Okay. So, as I prepped for this show, or I did the framework for this episode, because I actually the main discussion, which is an interview, I did that about a month or two ago, and it's a two part interview. So just so you know, episode number sixty six will be part one. Episode number sixty seven will be part two. But as I did the framework for episode number sixty six, which are currently listening to, I listened to this song on repeat, and I mean it was on and when I listened to the songs on repeat, it'd be on for like ten, fifteen, twenty rounds. I listened to it rounds rounds rounds, right. The funny part is that, yeah, the day before I did the framework, the day before I sat down to work on this, I was singing this song all day long before I even got a chance to sit down and put it on and do the work. I sang this song all day and I just went about my day singing this song over and over and over and over and over again. And the tricky part is that I had no idea that I was going to make this the jam. But when I sat down and I put it on repeat, I was like, this has to be the jam because clearly my spirit is speaking to me, and we should know by now that I follows my spirit right. And so I want to say first and foremost that I truly love and I adore Boy George. I actually attribute and connect my artistic style when I was a full time makeup artist to my adoration and my love for him when I was a child. When I was a little girl, I was introduced to Boy George and Culture Club by my mother. She was a huge fan and she used to sing his music all the time, which meant I sang his music because my mother and I were very big on having mommy daughter concerts on a regular basis, And so I attribute my love for music and for being so open minded when it comes to musical expression to the time that I spent with my mother singing and listening to music. So shout out to my mother for that. I really loved how colorful boy George was and how confident and sure of himself he seemed to be. And I think that even as a child, I understood that, but I didn't know I understood it, you know what I mean? Like, I think I was drawn to the authenticity, you know what. I didn't really think about that until just now. I think that I was just drawn to the fact that he was just being his authentic self, which says a lot, because you know, if it ain't authentic, I don't want it. And I think that his music is very much connected to his authentic spirit, and I just love him. He dares to be different. He's not really concerned about what people think or what people say, and even still to this day, his style, the way he dresses is really just a part of who he is. The song the Jam is actually by Culture Club. Culture Club is the group or the band that boy George was in in the eighties, and the song is called Time Clock of the Heart. I love boy George, period, but I love this song. And the way I ended up singing parts of this song the day before I sat down and listened to it and repeat was I was just having a conversation with somebody and we were talking about time and not wasting time, and for some reason, that sparked a memory and it connected to the song for me, and I started singing the song and that's it. And I sang it and sang it and sing it and sing it and sing it, and won there it was. And I'm glad that I did, because sometimes I like to be brought back to songs that I really love a lot. So anyway, it's called Time Clock of the Heart. I want you to listen to it. I'm not going to really read. Actually, I am going to read a couple of the lyrics. Hold on for a second, Okay, let's get into these lyrics. Why don't we don't put your head on my shoulder, sink me in a river of tears. This could be the best place yet, but you must overcome your fears. Oh in time, it could have been so much more. The time is precious. I know in time it could have been so much more. The time has nothing to show because time won't give me time and time makes lovers feel like they got something real. But you and me, we know we've got nothing but time and time won't give me time. Time won't give me time. Listen. If that did not make you want to go listen to that song, I don't know what your malfunction is. We used to say this grown up in baltis More. What's your major malfunction? Like you must have a major malfunction. What's your major malfunction? If you don't want to go listen to this song? Because first of all, the lyrics top notch, supreme okay, supreme lyrical writing here okay. Secondly, it sounded amazing. And if you don't think so, you know what, check your pulse because this song. I love this song. And this is not even my favorite song of his, but I love this song. So go ahead and get into it, and let's go ahead and get this Porty started shout out the boy George and culture Club. Yamu okay, friends in ken I am here today with a beautiful young lady who is going to share her story with us. Her name is Jasmine, and Jasmine, I want to just get straight into it. I want you to introduce yourself to my friends and ken friends and Ken is what I call my listeners because if they're not my friends, then they're my kin folks, and so I want you to introduce yourself to them.
Speaker 2: Of course, my name is Jasmine Espy and or Jasmine Havana Espy, and I'm a journalist, filmmaker, and HS advocate originally from Detroit, Michigan, and now I'm living in Los Angeles, California, and I'm a nonprofit founder as well.
Speaker 1: Awesome Detroit? What up though? What I know about Detroit?
Speaker 3: What up though?
Speaker 1: Okay? Tell my So the first thing I'm going to ask you is what are you drinking today?
Speaker 2: I have a big gallon of Crystal Guyser water soon I don't know.
Speaker 3: Can I say their brand name?
Speaker 1: You can? It's fine. They're giving me no money. But maybe another, maybe another water company will hear this and say let's have this lady out Exactly.
Speaker 2: I have a big gallon of water because I need to drink more water in my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't we all I am drinking. I'm not going to say the brand, even though I really love it, I'm going to say it. It's called Good and Gather and it's a Target brand. They have the best sparkling water. This one is caffeinated. It's pear hibiscus. I don't really like it. Okay, it's not the most delicious sparkling water I've ever born, but I love the brand like I love there. They have a dragon fruit. I want to say it might be passion fruit, dragon fruit. They have a ginger lemon. They have so many delicious ones, but this one is just not It's not hidden. As the kids say, it's not busting, it's not buzzing.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry because that's tough. Like you're drinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guess what, But I'm an old lady. I bought them. I bought them like two months ago and I'm still drinking them as I have one left. Yeah, I'm gonna push through to the beauty. I'm going to finish this because I paid for it, and so I'm drinking this. It's not the worst thing I've ever sipped on. But the can is so pretty. You see it. It has little hibiscus flowers and pears and a peer Jane Green au huh. I love them and I love Target. They get my money in Starbucks. They take me down. But okay, you share what you were drinking. You mentioned HS. I am not even going to attempt to pronounce this, but walk me through it so that I can see it. All it's gonna take is for you to teach me one time and I'll be fine. What is HS? Chasmine?
Speaker 2: HS is hydrodenitis superativa hi, hydradnitis, hydrodnitis superativa.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got it. I'm on it now. Hydrodnitis super ativa. But for all intense intensive purpose? Is it intense or intensive?
Speaker 3: Intense and purposes?
Speaker 1: Intense and purposes? I remember I saw this on something. Yeah, let the record reflect. We're just gonna say HS. We're just gonna call it HS. Okay, so tell us a little bit about what HS is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, hydrogeniti is superativa is a debilitating, chronic complex inflammatory condition, also referred to as an immune meditated inflammatory illness and follicular occlusion.
Speaker 3: I know that sounds like a lot, but it.
Speaker 2: Has a huge impact on quality of life physically, mentally, and emotionally. One in one hundred people, it's estimated that they have it, and HS consists of these extremely painful and recurring abscesses that can develop anywhere where hair follicle is found on the body. So there doesn't have to be hair growth in order for you to experience hydron out of superativa. It is possible to experience absesses with the or lesions anywhere on our body, with the exception of like our palms of our hands, the soles of our feet are like the red parts of our lips for an example. Okay, and unfortunately, there's no cure or treatment to HS, but there are some treatment options that are available, which is why we always encourage patients to go and see an HS specialist or a dermatologist or their physician so that they can find out what those treatments are.
Speaker 1: What is the I actually know someone who has HS, someone that was very close to me actually has it, and she didn't really talk about whether or not it was painful, but it was definitely very much of an inconvenience for her. Yeah, and she's a big time fashionist to honey, she likes to wear outfits and it would definitely put a total damp on like what she wears white was rarely an option. She wore a lot of black and I remember she actually ended up having to have surgery on some of the I don't know what you would call what to call them lesions lesions issue. She had to have some surgery where I think they had to go in and like remove something. I think, but she has like a lot of scarring under her breast as a result of having HS. So tell me about when you found out that you had HS, or when you discovered that you had this condition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was eleven years old grade.
Speaker 1: When I work, I work with middle school children, So I can't even imagine like having to deal with that so young.
Speaker 2: It was tough, and it's still something that I'm unpacking as adult woman, thirty years old, still unpacking a lot of what happened to me as a child. But I developed my first abscess and it was the size of a golf ball under my right armpit. And I just woke up one day and it was just there and there were no signs.
Speaker 3: Or symptoms or anything of that nature.
Speaker 2: But I woke up, I went to the bathroom, I kind of looked under my arm and I felt this mass and I was like, what is this, I've never seen anything like this before. And I went to my mother, and because she was a part she was with me for all my medical issues. This was not the first issue that I had with my body, so she was always the person that I went to and this was just another thing added to the list, essentially, And so when she saw it, she was like, you know, this kind of looks like We thought.
Speaker 3: It was a boil at the time, of course, and so.
Speaker 2: We decided to go to my pediatrician to figure out what it was because, you know, my mom was like, you know, if it's a boil, people get them every once in a while in their lives, but it's abnormal that I'm a child getting them right, right, And so my pediatrician echoed the same thing and told me to put a hot compress on it and to kind of like come back if you know, something else happens or anything like that. And so I thought this was just a one and done situation, right, And that's absolutely not what that was. You know, when I first got the abscess under my armpit, that was the first of many until three years later when I got a diagnosis, which was in high school. I was in ninth grade, and I officially got a diagnosis because my mom worked at a healthcare agency and she saw a newsletter actually that described some of the symptoms that I had, and so she took it to me and she was like, I saw this, Do you want to go? Because I had been suffering this whole time. You know, this was after staying up for nights, you know, having absesses on my where I couldn't sleep, or you know, bleeding through my shirts in private school because we had white collared shirts. Like, after all of this trauma, you know, I finally got this newsletter that had maybe an inkling of a clinical trial that I could potentially participate in. So that's when we went to the clinic that was for Hydrogeted superativa or HS, and we went in I officially got my diagnosis with HS.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question, is it painful?
Speaker 2: It's very painful, and it really doesn't matter which severity level you have because it's mild, modern and severe or you can go by the Hurly stage system, which is Hurley one, two or three, and so regardless if you have mild matter or severe, it's extremely painful because even pe sized lumps can feel like your world's ending.
Speaker 3: But just imagine if that was a golf ball or rapefruit or it can grow.
Speaker 2: To be huge and it can really impact your life just mentally, physically, emotionally, everything, especially.
Speaker 1: Being a baby. I think that because I work with young children and children of that age group, like I would be so like I can't imagine, like one of my students and kids are so mean, you know, yeah, kids are ruthless and yeah, like I could not imagine, or I could imagine because if I knew that, like if a parent came to me and said, hey, my baby is suffering with this, just keep an eye out for her or him, and if other kids bothered them, I would I'm like the protective auntie. I would tell them to shut up, or that's why your shoes are dirty. Don't make fun of other people, because I would definitely do I would definitely do that, don't make fun of her, because you know I'm that kind. But I can't imagine. That sounds like really it makes me sad, not sad like pity, but like, you know, I'm really empathetic when it comes to children because other children can be so mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know it wasn't anything I got bullied for because it was something I hid except that one moment that mine could like it bled through my shirt and sometimes you know, at that time, HS comes with this.
Speaker 3: Futrid smell as well.
Speaker 2: So no matter how much you wash, and it's not because we're dirty, it's no no matter how much you wash, it's like you still smell. And it's at a young age when you're also dealing with puberty and then that it's like, oh.
Speaker 1: You know the smell is it from like the puss?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, yeah, that is.
Speaker 1: You are a strong lady, because that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Look, I've been through a lot and I'm here and I think that's absolutely that's That's a huge part of why I tell my story and why we did this docuseries The Beacons, because you know, it takes a lot of strength to go through this, and I really want to show other individuals dealing with HS that there are there's more than one side of dealing with this. I was at the worst part, the worst, like you know, severity level, and I was able to you know, redirect my life to being able to be an advocate in this community. And so it's not always easy. And I'm not saying that like it's a quick fix or anything of that nature, because it's not. But it does help, and it is definitely, like you know I talked about in the docuseries, it definitely has healed me in so many ways that I probably wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have been able to heal.
Speaker 1: So from some of the research that I did to prepare for our conversation, it facts women of color, particularly Black women, more so than any other demographic.
Speaker 2: Is that correct, That's what some of the the statistics say.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: The only issue with the statistics is that HS is something that we're still trying to figure out how to quantify, so the numbers are not as solid as they could be. But there there is some data that does point to African American women being more disportionately affected by HS in the black community and people of color in general as well.
Speaker 1: Do they know what that is linked to?
Speaker 3: No, And I wouldn't be able to speak to that.
Speaker 1: No, No, I would not. You're not a health not an expert. I wouldn't ask. I just didn't, you know, I just didn't know if you know, in doing your work, if you know anything has come out about what that.
Speaker 3: Could be linked to no, not not yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So you mentioned that you have a docucy or that you've been working on a docuseries. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I I essentially.
Speaker 2: Work collaborated with nov artists to create this docuseries called The Beacons and The Beacons is a six part docuseries that offers an intimate look at life living with hydrogenized super TIVA and it's an intimate look through the lives of other individuals with the condition. So each episode in the docuseries, it highlights one patient story and I'm really really proud to be one of them. And we each do our own story. We each have our own story, excuse me, but we are very much united in our desire to raise awareness of HS and encourage those that may be suffering in silence to take action, you know, for themselves. So this this series premiered at Tribeca Film Festival this year, which was exciting.
Speaker 1: That is so awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in June actually, and that was during HS Awareness Week, which is usually it falls on the first full week of June. HS Awareness Week does, and so I was very much honored to be at the premiere and to participate in the panel discussion.
Speaker 1: And to be fancy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very fancy.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the Trying Back to Film Festival for featuring the Beacons.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yeah. It was a very exciting collaboration. We traveled across the world to talk to different patients. We went to London, to Paris, to Toronto, to New York, to Seattle. We just went and you know, hit the ground running with this series.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. I have a question what made you? I mean, I have you know, Yeah, I think I know, but like tell us about what made you decide or why It's called the Beacons. So the beacons, when you think of like beacons, it's like a beacon of light. Hope.
Speaker 2: Hope is really the drive of this series. Hope is really the drive from the work that I personally do, even in my advocacy work. And so there's a lot of conversation around the symptoms and the debilitation of this condition, which is very much important to highlight because it's a huge aspect of dealing with this. On the other flip side of that as well, you know, people who are affected by HS also need hope. They need something to look forward to they need to know that there is a life that they can live and cultivate for themselves while dealing with this condition, and so the Beacons is really pointing towards that. And some of that is my own words, in my own interpretation, but it's definitely a part of the reason why we decided to kind of like create that name, as you know, the representation for this Docky series.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, perfect, How much creative control do you have?
Speaker 2: So I was a co producer, so I was one of the individuals who was helping to bring everything together. Of course, there's always all these other moving parts, of course, but yeah, I was a co collaborator and a co producer on the project. I interviewed all of the patients and then I also got to tell my own personal story as well, So I did have some influence on the docuseries.
Speaker 4: That is.
Speaker 1: That's awesome And I don't know you, but like I'm proud of you one because you get to tell your own story. So that is definitely a form of healing or a way to help deal with or heal heal yourself as far as dealing with having HS. But I'm sure it made you feel good to know that you were in a space where you allowed other people to tell their story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know it, it was a huge moment as a documentary filmmaker as well, you know, because this was a part of the work that I've been trying to do since grab school and so to see it come to fruition and to be able to really give the community that I'm serving something to look forward to as a representation of like themselves and so that they can feel seen and heard and really just like also deal with that shame aspect. You know, I've learned a lot about shame by doctor Brene Brown. I hope it's okay to plug her. She has taught me a lot about shame and vulnerability. And you know, my goal is, in my hope through this documentaries is that a lot of people affected by HS are coming face to face with shame and also embracing vulnerability because it's difficult for the average person to do it, but when you think about somebody with the crime illness, it's like, yeah, it's even more complicated.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I think like in a world like ours, because it is something that you know, it's aesthetic, you can see it it's on the outside, right, you know, Like that's even more tough, I think, because like if you're sick or you have a condition and it's something internal, if it's hormonal and nobody can see it, or if it's you know, in no way, shape or form. Am I can comparing this to cancer or to HIV, or to high blood pressure or any of that. But when people can see it, you know what I mean, Like, when it's something that nobody can really see your shame, you can kind of you can kind of control it a little bit because nobody knows except for the people that I share it with. But when it's something like I have on a white shirt and I bled through and puss came through my shirt, and now everybody can see that, there's a shame that comes from that. Because the world is a cruel place, and it's not just children. Adults are cruel as well, like the looks, the stairs, the comments, and sometimes it can be your own family and friends who can say some not so kind things to you. So I can imagine. Can you describe, and you know, I don't care if you have to go into detail. We talked about that there's absesses this blood it's puss, tell us what it looks like, or tell us what it can look like, or areas where it is most affected. Because and the reason that I'm asking that it's not, you know, just so that you know my friends and can listen unders can understand. It's not for shock value. But I want to have this conversation. And the reason that I wanted to have this conversation with Jasmine is because there may be somebody who is dealing with this, or their child may be dealing with this, or their cousin or their niece or their nephew, or their coworker, their friend. And if you hear something that may sound like something that looks or feels familiar to you or to someone close to you, maybe you can offer them some guidance, like hey, maybe you should talk to your doctor, or maybe you can talk to a specialist, or just check out this docuseries that I heard about on this podcast, because it sounds like what you may be dealing with, especially something that is affecting like my community, the black community. That way, I want to be able to provide insight because all too often in our communities, you know, it is drink some ginger ale and sit down, lay down, drink some water. Oh, you just need to exercise, you just need to pray, go to church, put some holy oil on it. All these great options instead of really just going to the doctor and figuring out what's going on. And so tell us a little bit about like what it actually looks like, or if you could take us through like what I know you mentioned a flare up, having a flare up, what does that look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it depends on what severity levels severity level, Yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Can talk about my experience.
Speaker 2: So I had the severest form of HS, or early stage three, and essentially a flare up would look like, for an example, it would start with maybe like some pain in a specific area.
Speaker 3: So let's say the arm pit.
Speaker 2: That's one of the areas that you know an individual might experience HS.
Speaker 3: And so you may.
Speaker 2: Experience some intense itching, some redness, or some pain in the area before a lump appears, a nodule appears, and then maybe the next morning or maybe the next day, just kind of like how my experience was when I just woke up and I had that big nodule. That can happen and it'll grow and it'll grow and grow, and throughout the process it's very painful because imagine your skin stretching and there is just build up of puss coming through your skin. So eventually it bursts and sometimes there I've had abscesses where I've needed assistance with lancing and things of that nature because they wouldn't bust on their own, and so they'll they'll bust and there'll be a tunnel essentially that this fluid the pus is coming through, and so I've been able to press on the skin and had the pus come out of it and.
Speaker 3: Things of that nature. I've also had instances where I've had scar tissues, so I've had reoccurring abscesses in these areas. So imagine if I.
Speaker 2: Had like a wound and then it was trying to heal but it didn't and then another abscess appeared either or on top of it, and so it creates scar tissue. So there's these interconnected tunnels and there's this scar tissue as well as another abscess on top of this area, and so there's no like non disease skin in between.
Speaker 1: Right, It's just it's mounting on top like scar on top of scar on top of wound on top of scar and essentially it's just never ending and never healing until whatever treatment you take or get.
Speaker 3: I mean, it just depends.
Speaker 1: It depends because you said that there's no cure. There are treatment options, but there's no guarantee that it's gonna work.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: That is and see the things like this, the whole goal or the purpose of my show, or one of the many, is to tell stories that we don't really hear. You know, this isn't something that is really discussed, like in the world, but in particular in our community. One because one thing about black folks, we gonna we're gonna look good and we don't want nobody to know. And I mean I understand that. And for me, it can definitely be traced all the way back hundreds of years you two slavery. Absolutely everything everything goes back. All roads lead back to the slavery. Unfortunately, I mean, it's the truth. And because we were not allowed to hold on to our traditions and our culture that we had before we got here or before I got here, before we were kidnapped and brought here, we were not allowed to focus on I'm not even gonna do all that because we were oppressed and we had less than I'm trying to think of. I don't even know why I'm trying to think of a nice way to say this, because there really is no nice way to say that, because we got the shittiest of everything. It is so important in our culture and a lot of times other cultures, and sometimes we don't even understand where it comes from. It's important for us to look our best because we will take rags and make a gown, we will take slop and make a comforting meal and feed the masses. So it is important for us to look good because that is the one thing that we kind of have control over, right, And so that is something that we don't really talk about in our community because like, who would want someone to know that I don't, you know, I'm not looking good or I'm not looking my best. Yeah, And I know I mentioned that someone very close to me or her that used to be very close to me has HS and I can just remember when you know, she would have a flare up. It would just throw her whole world off. Yeah, yeah, and she was really into like she's really in the style and clothes. She's an amazing she has amazing style, and it would just throw everything off. Like sometimes she wouldn't even go, Like if there was an event she was going to, she would just say, excuse my friends. She would just say, fuck it, I'm not going because this I'm not going because I don't know if I'm gonna bleed through or puss is going to come through my blouse. And you know that's horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I was going to say that I've had those experiences too, Like fashion and things like that have been sort of my safe haven art fashion along with the work that I've been doing as well, and HS has severely impacted that. The experience that she had with wearing all black like white was very much. I was just kind of that was like my kryptonite. I was like, I can't wear anything that's white. And imagine being a child going through middle school and your uniform is white is white, And it was like it was at the peak time that I was dealing with this condition, which was awful. You know, my clothes would stick to my body like at night, and you know, I had to peel my clothes off my body. You know, that's the experiences that we have, even if you're having like you know, mild hs, you're still dealing with the pus, the smells, the you know, the damage to your clothing. So if you are somebody with designer clothes like good luck, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, all right, friends, and can let's get into this straight facts question for today's episode. The person or the person who sent the question in because they didn't leave their name is coming from one of my favorite cities in America, and that is because I grew up there. And let me just go ahead and get into this question. Okay. I am seeing a man who is a high profile public figure. He spends nights with me and I also go over to stay at his place. During our last engagement, he shared that he has a wife that he doesn't plan to have or leave, but they are open to outside situationships m shue. I am not sure that I can handle being his outside woman. However, he treats me like a queen and much better than the single gentleman that I am dating. I really don't want to lose him. I feel lost. What advice can you give me? Lost in Love from Los Angeles? I love that they put lost in Love as their name. I think that's really cute anyway. Dear lost in Love, Listen, I'm gonna say this. You know, some people would be like, you're a home record girl. I ain't gonna judge you because that ain't my place. It's not my place and it's not my business. But what I will say is that you better really sit in this and think, because if you he's already he's made it very clear his intentions right, and his intention is to never leave his wife. So if you want to be in a committed relationship with this man, in an exclusive committed relationship with this man, this is not a good thing for you. Like, you should not be doing this if you feel like you can handle and buy and and you know, people listen to this. I don't want to hear no shit talking about, Oh, you're encouraging her to sleep with a married man. Listen, she already sleeping with a goddamn married man. I'm not encouraging shit. What I'm saying is you already in a situation, syst So let's just evaluate and make sure that we are making the best decisions for you, Okay, Because for me, it's all about lost in love. I don't know this man, I don't know his wife. I don't know they business. What I do know though, is that lost and love wrote in and so I'm trying to help her figure out what's best for her. Okay, So if you can handle being in a situation, and they all also said that he and his wife are open to outside situationships, let me just let you know from prior you know, knowledge and experience. Just because a man says that he and his wife are in an open relationship or they are open to outside situationships as you stated, that don't mean that's the truth. The wife may not know nothing about no open situationships and no outside relationships. Okay, she may be none the wiser. She may not know about none of this shit. That could be just him telling you this because men will tell you anything, you know to get what they want. And guess what women will tell men anything, or women anything or whatever. You know, non binary people will tell anybody anything, you know, just anybody will tell people will say anything to get what they want. Right, So you have to understand that you can't go about this assuming that he and his wife are in an open relationship, because that could just be all plain.
Speaker 3: Bullshit.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it could be because the wife may not know anything about this. But if you are okay with dating him understanding that he's never going to leave his wife, he's always going to be with her, and you are okay with whatever you guys have, then okay, then be okay with it. But you can't say you're okay with it and then not really be okay with it, because you're gonna end double looking stupid when it's all said and done because he ain't leaving her. Okay, I think it's smart, and I think you got a little bit of sense because you said he treats me like a queen and much better than the single men that I'm dating or the single gentleman that I am dating. So that lets me know that you have not put all of your eggs in this married man's bad ask it. You are also dating other people, and also dating other men who are single who may be open to a relationship. And I hope that you have enough sense that if you meet a single man and he is open to dating you, and you guys really like each other, and you start dating him and you want to date him exclusively, that you will say, hey, married guy, high profile public figure, man, We're gonna have to stop this because I'm interested in Jojo and me and Jojo are going to see where this goes. So that is the advice that I have to give you. Never ever expect that this man is going to leave his wife for you, because he is not. He's made it very clear. Believe what he says, because he's not. And he may not even leave the wife, even if he really wants to, even if he wants to be with you and he wants to leave his wife and he is not happy in his marriage and his marriage isn't fulfilling for him, and he is not free tom be, he may not leave. And you have to be a okay with that. And if you are a okay with that and you can live with that and you still want to date him, go for it, you know, because you know what I mean. Like, if that's what you want, you know what I mean, because you know everything is as it should be, and if that is who you are dating as well as a single man, that's what you're supposed to do. Because it's not a mistake. You know. There's either a lesson or a blessing or both in the interaction that you have with him. This is a great question. It's very interesting. It's very very very very interesting. So good luck to you lost in love. Good luck. Don't be no dummy, though sis, don't be no dummy. Okay. And one more thing, this is another piece of advice. If the married man tells you or makes it seem like he doesn't want you to date other men, but he could still be married, because this kind of happened to me when I was like twenty one, I was dating this guy. I was really young. He was eleven years older than me, and I found out six months into us dating that he had a fiance, right, And I had just gotten out of a relationship with my very first major love, the man who was my soulmate and who could possibly still be one of my soulmates, you know, my first, my first loved, my college boyfriend, and I started dating like a bad boy, like a rough dude. I wouldn't say he was like a drug dealer or a murderer or anything, but he was rough around the edges. And I found out six months and that he had a fiance, and I didn't stop seeing him because like, look, I was twenty one, I was fresh out of a four and a half year relationship. I was like whatever, sisters, trying to have a good time, and he and I had a good time. And I remember one night he told me that I better not be mess with nobody else, and I thought, this mother fucker crazy. He got to be crazy. An he was. He was crazy. But I continue to date other people, and I continued to see him until seeing him just was not It did not work out in my favor. It was not good for me anymore. But what I'm saying to you is if this man tries to make it seem like you should not be dating other people, or tries to stop you or interfere, interfere, excuse me with you dating other men or dating other people, because I, you know whatever, we don't do that. And this is what you should tell him. Jub Please get out of here, sir. Get out of here, sir, because you got a whole wife that you are at home with, and you should be home with her when I'm out on my dates. When I'm out on my dates, go home and beat with her. But when we together, it's just about me and you. But when you are with her, don't worry about me, because it's highly likely that I'm out on a date with another man, maybe even having sex with another man, and I highly suggest like, don't get me wrong, Like, I don't want nobody saying, oh my god, you're encouraging her to be promiscuous. Shut the hell up, girl bye. Please, Okay, we're grown around here. If you want to sleep, I believe that people should sleep with whoever they want to sleep with, as long as it is consensual and it is two adults. Okay, don't get wrapped up into that and in that, don't be dumb. That's all I'm saying. If you want to play this game, if this is what you are deciding to do, just don't be stupid and good luck girl. Okay, let's move forward. That's what you need to do. Move forward, and remember what my therapists always tell me. Do what you want to do, but do not do what you do not want to do. Friends in him for today's we got to do better. It comes from someone that I pull from on a regular basis I do. It's not from her book, or actually it might be, but that's not where I got it from. I have a book by her. It is none other than Auntie Susan L. Taylor, who used to be the editor in chief of Essence magazine in the nineties, maybe even the eighties. If you don't know who she is, google her. She's absolutely stunning. Every time I use one of her quotes for we Got to Do Better, I just go on and on about how gorgeous and how just gracefully beautiful this woman is. She is so pretty. But anyway, Susan L. Taylor, she says, the most sacred place is not the church, the mosque, nor the temple. It's the temple of the body. That is where the spirit lives. Come on, Auntie Taylor, Auntie Susan Taylor, get deep for one moment, one more time. I'm going to read it for you and I'm not going into it. You can sit with this however you like. The most sacred place isn't the church, the mosque, nor the temple. It's the temple of the body, because that is where the spirit lives. The first thing that I want to do is I want to say thank you to God first and foremost, because God is supreme and I recognize and appreciate the grace that God extends to me every single day of my black ass life. The second thing that I want to do is I want to thank me. Yes, indeed I do. And let me tell you why I want to thank me.
Speaker 4: I want to thank me for believing in me. I want to thank me for doing all this horrible work. I want to thank me for having no days off. I want to thank me for never quitting.
Speaker 1: Listen, I put some work for the hood, for handing my purse, Okay, And I just want to say thank you to myself because three and a half years later, I'm still here. I'm still cranking out episodes. I'm still working hard, I'm still persevering. I'm still thinking of ways to come up with things to talk about to discuss. I'm still looking for people to interview. I'm still i'll be struggling with the social media I do. I wish I had the money to hire a social media marketing person. But it's okay. I'm gonna get it together. But I'm still here. Okay, I'm still here working hard and not working hard for me. I'm still here working hard for you because when I don't, when I don't do it, I feel bad. Even when my grandmother was really sick and I was depressed and I was low. I felt bad that I was not putting out episodes, but I just could not do it. I didn't have it in me to do it. I didn't have the emotional, mental, north spiritual bandwidth to do it at that time. And I'm so grateful that I have it back, that I can do it and I can provide what I did before I was in that space. I'm glad that I'm able to do that again. I want to say thank you to all of my fault, to each and every one of you that have been rocking with me since day one, since March the first, twenty twenty. Thank you, thank you, thank you. That is the day that I released the trailer for Handing My Purse on March the first, twenty twenty, and remember on March thirteenth, twenty twenty, we went into a major lockdown for go on the Vine. Now, I want you to know that it is nothing short of an honor and a privilege for me to share my time and my energy with you, especially those of you that keep coming back to spend time with me, because that says a lot and it means a lot to me, and I'll look forward to the next time that we get to do this with one another. Before you exit out of whatever streaming service you're using the listen to this, stop what you're doing, and if you haven't already done so, look for the subscribe or follow button. Click on it if it's an option on the streaming service where you're listening. Next thing, I want you to go over to Instagram and follow me and hand Me my Purse Underscore podcast. You can also follow me on threads, which you will find in my Instagram profile. On Facebook, just add me just search Handing my Purse podcast. If you listen on a streaming service or medium that allows you to do so, please rate and review the show or give it a thumbs up on you can if you can, and you can rate and review the show on Stitcher. You can rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts. And now you can leave. I think you have to have Spotify Premium if I'm not mistaken, but you can also leave comments on Spotify. I realized that you could do that a couple of weeks ago, and I've gotten some comments in some reviews back and I just want to say thank you. Shout out to the people who have left comments or reviewed the show or the episode on Spotify. You are the future of the Funk Friends and can be sure to share hand Me My Purse with your friends, your loved ones, and even your enemies. Because the best way for prepeople find out about the show is by you guys telling them all about it. So telefrind to teleprin to do what tell a friend? Please submit your questions for the straight fact segment two Hello at handymipurse dot com with the subject line straight facts. Nobody ever does that. Or you can do what's really easy and look in the show notes wherever you listen the show notes or the show description. If you scroll down, you'll see submit a question for stray facts. Click on that. It'll take you directly to the form where you can anonymously leave a question or leave your name if you like, so it's a lot easier to do that. Please please, by all means leave me a question for stray facts, and who knows, your question may be featured on an upcoming show. Also, remember that show notes are always available in the episode description where you are listening to the show. I just said that, be sure to take a look at the show notes because that's where I put all the juice. Anything that I discussed during the show, I'm going to say during the show, I'm going to put this in the show notes for you. It's going to be there. And sometimes I add other random information that I want you to check out or that I just want to share with you, So make sure you check out the show notes. Also, just so you know, the music for Handing My Purse is provided by none other than West Baltimore's own Gloomy Tunes and last but not Lease, I want to give a big old shout out to my production team that's Evan and Taylor and together we make up Rando Banjo and the Dirty Throats. Big old shout out to you guys, and I look forward to you looking forward to listening to hand Me my Purse the podcast each and every Tuesday, and I'm out this bitch peace. Hand Me My Purse is a production of iHeart Podcasts. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.