Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: On this Monday here in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to Brian Windhorst to the Mothership, and Big Mike and Little Mike Goldick will stop by as well.
Speaker 2: More phone calls.
Speaker 3: We'll try to get to those, as we always do every Monday, Best and worst to the weekend.
Speaker 2: What you saw that you liked, you didn't like? Good morning.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock, you can download the app if you haven't done so. Our radio affiliates iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio over four hundred cities carrying this program. Also, you can check out our YouTube channel as well. Eight seven seven three DP show the big news obviously what the Mavericks and the Lakers did. So we'll talk to Wendy about that Super Bowl week underway.
Speaker 2: It's media night tonight.
Speaker 3: These teams are savvy enough to know there's probably not going to be Now there might be questions. I don't know if there'll be answers that will garner any headlines. Chip Kelly quietly leaves Ohio State for the Raiders offensive coordinator job, which was surprising as well. Question for the final hour before we get to Brian Windhorse seat and what are we going to go with?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 5: Might be right there? Would you rather work for Ohio State or the Raiders? Okay, both of them are great jobs. All right, we'll get phone calls coming up.
Speaker 3: Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show busy man. Brian Windhorse kind enough to join as ESPN Senior NBA Rider. Your reaction when you got that text or tweet was what, Brian?
Speaker 6: Well, there was nothing. I mean when I say nothing there, I had no indication at all.
Speaker 4: You know, very rarely are.
Speaker 6: People in my business totally surprised by a transaction. A lot of times we can't say everything we know a lot of times we don't see all four corners of it.
Speaker 4: So well, here's something come out and we'll go, Ah, I see to complete the pieces fall in place.
Speaker 6: It is very unusual that there's a transaction like this that comes clear out of the blue. There was nothing zero in the world, in our world about and I think as far as I and I believe that people are telling me, I mean, I reserve the right to say I have new information, but I don't think the players knew either.
Speaker 4: I really really don't believe that.
Speaker 6: I know that that's hard to believe, but that's how rare of an instance this is. And we're also talking about a situation where two in their prime star players are traded for each other. That does not happen in the history of the NBA. There's never been a current All NBA player traded for a current All NBA player in the middle of the season. We've definitely seen star players get traded. We've definitely seen shock star players get traded. We've never seen star for star like this when it also when it involves the number one most popular franchise in the NBA and one of the most in the world. So the sequence of one off events here is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: Okay, but do we know the why, like why did this happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I know that people, I know that there's a desire to say there must be more to it, and I can't.
Speaker 4: I don't have all of it.
Speaker 6: I can't say that there isn't. But I honestly believe the Mavericks came to a decision after really going through a frustrating year with Luca and it's been a very frustrating year and just to reset that they're coming off the finals. Luca comes to camp and immediately gets hurt. Now I'm not a doctor, I don't know everything about that injury, but I think they were frustrated that he had that injury and they thought that maybe he wasn't right necessarily ready for camp. After he gets that injury, he gets out of shape, out of shape to the point that when he comes back and plays healthy with the injury, they say he's shut down for a hand injury. And he was injured with that, but he also was getting in better shape. But you know, when he came back, he had allowed himself to get more and more.
Speaker 4: Out of shape.
Speaker 6: Comes back, starts playing well again, and then repeats the injury.
Speaker 4: And again, I'm not a doctor. I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 6: That that was physical conditioning, but I suspect that they felt that they were not thrilled with the conditioning. So they go through a very frustrating year. But it's on top of other frustrations they had, and this summer he's gonna be a position to sign a three hundred and fifty million dollars super max contract. Now, most of the time teams celebrate when a player qualifies for this the Golden the Oklahoma City Thunder. For example, shake gildas Alexander has qualified for the super Max. I believe he's eligible to sign it at six pm on June thirtieth. I promise you the paper book will be at his in his hands whether or not he signs it. I'm sure he will when he signs. I don't know, but I'm promising you. The Thunder are We're going to fall all over themselves to get this guy locked up for that three hundred million dollar deal. Jason Tatum, they were ready to go with a three hundred million dollar deal. They couldn't have been more excited to get this guy locked up. The whole purpose of that being in the CBA is so that you have a superstar player. He is outrageously incentivized to two of one hundred plus million dollars to stay with your team. It is basically the Kevin Durant rule, the Lebron James rule, so that those guys will not leave for nothing. And even if you weren't one hundred and fifty percent sure you wanted to give him the money, the conventional wisdom would be you give him the contract anyway, so that if you want to trade him, You trade him with the five years on the contract so that the player can't.
Speaker 4: Leverage you in a trade. That's what happened with Dame Lillard.
Speaker 6: Lillard signs this five year contract, then the Blazers trade him so that he couldn't say, you got to trade me to Miami. They can trade him to the best place, which was Milwaukee in that case.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: And so for the Mavericks to do this now, it means that they didn't even want to enter into that contract with him. And it also means that they thought that they could do better this season now with Anthony Davis, that they think that if they did this season they did this deal now, that they could make a better run in the playoffs. And so it's a high level shocking and complete repudiation of Luka Doncic as a superstar franchise player, and it results in this trade which is going to be a historic sliding doors moment.
Speaker 3: I think, okay, well, then give me the upside and the downside for the Lakers.
Speaker 4: So the Lakers.
Speaker 6: First off, the Lakers had a succession problem. Lebron is forty years old. Whether he's got a year or two left he's on his way out. He is no longer you know, a first team All NBA player. Anthony Davis is there, but he's aging too. And I would say that while I am a big, gigantic believer in that when you win a championship, it means never having to say you're sorry.
Speaker 4: And they have a championship, they have a banner and so.
Speaker 6: But the Lebron AD partnership, it hasn't been a glorious unmitigated success.
Speaker 4: It's been a success.
Speaker 6: They should have no regrets, no looking back, but it hasn't gone the way that the hopes and dreams were. So they had this challenge of how do they move on from Lebron at some point, how do they get their next star? And I thought that would be a problem for two years from now. This falls into their lap and they have to say, yes, the direction of the franchise was not let's try to acquire Luka Doncic in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: It fell into their lap.
Speaker 6: They had to say yes, I know that There's been a thought, well, was there an issue with Lebron and AD? Was there an issue with AD and JJ Reddick? Was there an issue with no the phone rang and they said, do you want Luka Doncic.
Speaker 4: The answer is yes, And not only that.
Speaker 6: While you are you are recognizing that you are acquiring a player the other team is giving up on. They can now sign him to a contract this summer. Dan, that's one hundred million dollars less than what it would cost the Mavericks because he will not qualify for the Supermax and you get a twenty five five year old megastar on a quote unquote discount. He does have issues, warts whatever, It's an absolute no brainer for the Lakers.
Speaker 4: They had to say yes.
Speaker 6: If they didn't say yes, everybody in the organization should have been fired. So that's where they are, That's where they are going forward. They are in a different reality now than they were five days ago. Their team is different. They got problems, they had to fix their roster, but they're no longer thinking about Lebron and Ad. They're not thinking about number seventy seven going forward.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Brian Winhorse, ESPN senior NBA writer. I couldn't help but think of David Stern. Would David Stern have green lighted this, Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, because he saw it as an opportunity to get Luka Doncic into the Lakers for.
Speaker 4: The next ten years.
Speaker 6: I mean I'm hearing from like I was talking to some NBA executives yesterday and they're like, Jesus Christ, the freaking Lakers like blah blah blah, and you know, and they're like, your boss is probably love it, and I go, your damn right true. And so the opportunity for the Lakers to, you know, and this has happened throughout our whole lives. You know, uh Will Chamberlain, Kareem Ubdul Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal. I mean, forget about the guys they drafted, forget about Kobe and Magic like you know Worthy, We're talking about guys that mid career Lebron Paul Gasol mid career arrived in La However, it happened and has labeled the franchise to continue its run of dominance. I was talking to one executive yesterday, not from the Clippers, and he was like, man, I feel for the Clippers today.
Speaker 4: They're about ready to get rid of Lebron.
Speaker 6: They've got this gorgeous arena, you know, they're establishing their own franchise. They're having this really positive their their neck and neck. They're about to pass the Lakers and the standings if they win tomorrow. They're playing here in LA and then they get hit with this right hook that Luka Danjic is now going to be a Laker for the next decade. So but I do think on the whole, on the on the balance, maybe not to somebody in Oklahoma City or many Aapolis, it's an incredible development for the league with the belief that Luca fulfills his potential, which is what the Mavericks are saying they don't think will happen.
Speaker 3: Bigger shock when Jordan went to play baseball or this Luca Anthony Davis.
Speaker 6: Doal geez, Dan, you'd be better to ask answer that. I mean, when Jordan went to play baseball was one of those things that was so crazy. I mean, people to this day are still trying to come up with the conspiracy theory for that. That was a bigger shock, I guess because Magic whose Michael was in his career, in the middle of his career, and he went to go play minor league baseball. But this is a bigger shock in terms of what the effect that it had, well not effecked on the league isn't even accurate. I guess Jordan was a bigger shock, but now we get to watch these players still play. Jordan left the league. The league, you know, was hurting from it. This the league, in theory, can benefit from it.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. Thanks for making time.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Dan, have a great week out there.
Speaker 3: That's Brian Windhorst, ESPN, senior NBA writer. He says, we have an emergency fill in the blank game, and it's NFL news, NFL breaking news. Okay, are you ready, Dan, Okay, fill in the blank emergency.
Speaker 2: Does this rival Luca to the Lakers?
Speaker 7: Polly, No, but it's really high up there in the football world. Now you're the only contestant in this game.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: Blank has requested the trade from Blank. Blank has requested the trade from Blank. Big time football player. Okay, Blank, here's the hint. He's frustrated because he's not playing in big time AFC title game.
Speaker 3: Lamar Jackson has asked to be traded. No, not a tick below that. Joe Burrow has asked to be traded.
Speaker 2: Not an offensive player. Miles Garrett has asked to be traded.
Speaker 7: Miles Garrett has requested the trade from the Cleveland Browns. He put out a statement less than five minutes ago, thanking the town.
Speaker 2: All I want to do is play in the super Bowl.
Speaker 7: With that said, I'm officially requesting a trade from the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 2: Did he just realize that the Browns sunk?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Did he think they were going to get better? Yeah? Seed, Yeah, I think he did think they were going to get better.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, I think I give him a lot of credit for sticking it out this long. Like he tried, He really did, he tried. Yeah, and time is ticking. Yeah, I'm getting the hell out of here.
Speaker 3: But didn't they say that no matter what number of draft picks you give, they weren't going to give up Miles Garrett. Wasn't like you can give two first round picks.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 7: Think I could quickly make the case this might be a good day for the Cleveland Browns if they could find a way out of Deshaun Watson's contract, which I have the feeling they're going to with some of the things he's been doing in the off season without a walking moop, maybe, and if they get a haul for Miles Garrett, they could be set up for the future. Now what they do those draft picks, As you always said, Dan is the base of it. But they got the best of Miles Garrett. They're not going anywhere anytime soon. Might as well get the huge price for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But by the way people have asked, are am I going to talk about Justin Tucker the way I did Deshaun Watson? I said I would talk about the football part of this. That's the most important part for me in what we do. It is looking worse. More people are coming out if there's lawsuits here? Will he be released by the rape and like, I'm not going to try this case. But it's the same thing with Deshaun Watson. Is it going to lead to him getting another job? Where's he gonna go? What do you get in return for him? Those are all the things that we covered. If Justin Tucker is guilty of this and he has to pay loss whatever it is, now fine, I'll cover that. I have to cover the football part of this. That's what we do here. It's not court TV, and I will cover this the way that we did Deshaun Watson. I did not get caught up in all the other ancillary stuff there. But Miles Garrett looking at the future there with the Cleveland Browns. They're going to have another quarterback. I don't think Deshaun Watson ever plays for them again, and.
Speaker 2: You start to wonder in that division.
Speaker 3: You know, Baltimore is still good, Bengals are good, Steelers still going to be formidable as well, and the Cleveland Browns are gonna be the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 9: Miles Garrett has a real Dame Lillard quality to him, Like he tried, he tried to make it work with this franchise that wasn't doing great, and you know what, I got to move on and try to you know, brought my horizons and try to get to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Because he's one of those players that you don't see.
Speaker 3: You have to go out of your way to watch him, and then you hear other players say, you know, he's best defensive player, he's unstoppable me, he's all these things. We just don't get to see him on a big stage. We got to see Aaron Donald win a Super Bowl and his play the last play of that game helped them win a super Bowl. Like that's what you want. You want great players playing in big moments. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because right now, if you're not a big time football fan, he's a snap your fingers guy.
Speaker 10: Like you know, who else is really good? Who's my guy from from Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: And he doesn't want to be there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't blame him. Yes, Paulie, I love that.
Speaker 7: We've spent last hour talking about huge football historical trades and this one happens during our show. This guy's five time All Pro in the past five years, he's twenty nine years old, and he's showing no signs of the client.
Speaker 3: What's he worth? I don't know. The Golics will join us all I asked them. I mean, is it two first round picks and a player?
Speaker 2: And can the Lakers grab him too?
Speaker 1: Mavericks love this?
Speaker 2: Stay if the Mavericks were running the Browns?
Speaker 3: Ye? And do you want Miles Garrett too? And I've seen Miles play basketball. He's a really good basketball player. All right, we'll get the phone calls. The Golics will join us on this Monday. We'll take a break. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for the Dan Patrick Show at Fox Sports Radio Dive. We're stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 8: Hey, We're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 8: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 11: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber Liam and me. Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years. Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 8: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out Over Promised. And also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 11: There you go, over promising. Remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: We go to dinner last night.
Speaker 3: On the way to dinner, Paul, he's telling me about how great the Flag Football game was NFC AFC, I said, I just can't, Paul, I can't.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you used the word great, shockingly decent. It was competitive and fun and they had a lot of fun micing up people in comparison to the last few actual Pro Bowls with physicality air quotes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun. It was lighthearted.
Speaker 3: The NFC did win over the AFC, and they won the Pro Bowl games.
Speaker 2: They also won the relay race and the Tug of War.
Speaker 3: AFC won the Punt Perfect event as well.
Speaker 2: In case you're just joining us, where have you been?
Speaker 3: Miles Garrett has asked the Cleveland Browns to trade him. I thought the Cleveland Browns said that no matter what you gave them gave him a couple of first time draft picks. They wouldn't be traded him, but he just made that public and sent out a statement basically saying goodbye to the Cleveland Browns and the city of Cleveland. Next up is the Golick's, the father son team known for their football and great job on their Draft Kings podcast. One of them seems to be getting smaller as he gets older, the other one not so much. Here's Mike Golick and Mike Golick Junior.
Speaker 2: Yeah look at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: That's some great writing, right, Ye appreciate that?
Speaker 2: Yeahs accurate? Accurate?
Speaker 1: No, not wrong, especially not this week.
Speaker 2: But you know he goes by Big Mike, and you're bigger than Big Mike.
Speaker 13: The worst part about working with my dad has been the full head of hair and the weight loss. Like, as my dad has gotten healthier, who wouldn't want that for their parents?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 13: Doing well late in life as my dad goes to his years and is taking as good a care of himself as.
Speaker 2: He can years. Eh, you know, are you in hospice?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 12: Well, I mean what is he He's leading? I have a leash on like the kids in the in the mall. Yeah, he puts a leash on me on this expedition. You know, he's he talks so much better than I ever talked.
Speaker 10: He's smarter than I was.
Speaker 1: My only comeback whenever he rips me is live hair.
Speaker 13: It goes to the well in that early and all works really sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you fought right now.
Speaker 12: Oh, tell him, tell him about when it when it's the change over.
Speaker 13: This was Easter, I think my junior year of college. So I'm, you know, two ninety five, best shape in my life. Dad's i mean double digit shoulder surgeries and he's begun the weight loss journey. But we're back at my grandmother's house, the house he grew up in in Willowick, Ohio.
Speaker 1: And we had gone back.
Speaker 13: And forth, and he had always said, whenever you think you're ready for it, we'll go out there.
Speaker 1: And he's a former.
Speaker 13: Collegiate wrestler, so he said, we'll go out there and we'll see if you can get up from off the mat. We did it in his front yard in jeans and polos, after my grandmother had cooked us Easter brunch, and I.
Speaker 1: Embarrassed him in front of his entire childhood neighborhood. He did, He did in front of the whole neighborhood. Yeah, that was it. That was it.
Speaker 3: You watching he knows Robert weak spots, Well, that has to be Howie Long probably had this same.
Speaker 12: Moment, Yes, exactly his voice. Yes, Oh, I'm sure it did. It's just a matter of when it changed over. If you ask how, he's going to say it never changed over, but we know it does.
Speaker 2: He probably had that that that horseshoe.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's exactly there. That dude looks so good in the uniform. I we were both.
Speaker 1: The linemen, and that's where the that's where the sameness.
Speaker 3: Entends, all right, Miles Garrett speaking a defensive lineman has basically said goodbye to the city of Cleveland and the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 2: What's he worth on the open market?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: I mean remember when he came in the league and there were there were executives that thought he was too philosophical to be a dog in the league, like dinosaurs, I mean, believable. Well, the thing about it is, Dan is how much power does an NFL player have? We know basketball players have power, but how much power does an NFL but he has years left on his contract, so how much power can he actually wield. It's going to have to be the business decision on the side of the Browns to say, do we want to just force him to stay or do we want to say, Okay, he wants to be gone, get the best deal we can get.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean he's got to be worth you know, I mean as close to quarterbly vices and trades where you're talking about first rounders are multiple longers, especially as you said.
Speaker 2: They've got control.
Speaker 13: If you've got him and you've got three years left on a deal and he's in the prime of his career, a player like that, who is in you know, it's it's him. Michael Parsons, TJ. Willds, These guys that are true game wreckers that every offensive coordinator has to spend the first and last moments of their meetings talking.
Speaker 1: About, there's really not a price too high to pay. I think at this point for a guy like.
Speaker 3: Where does Jalen Carter come into that conversation with these defensive lineup.
Speaker 12: Jalen Carter has entered super star status. You know that was kind of Chris Jones, Aaron Donald obviously before he left, Chris Jones lining up a d tackle also at edge on on third downs. But Jalen Carter is what he does with Chris Jones? Does they play on the other side of the line, and that that's what I meant. God Rest the soul guy played with Jerome Brown as an interior D lineman played on the other side of the line, and it always doesn't show up in stats.
Speaker 2: What do you mean on the other side of the line.
Speaker 12: He played plays on the offensive in the offensive backfield makes penetration, Okay, it will make penetration on the center or the guard and as well get to and And the thing is about it, sacks is kind of outdated now. It's pressures, it's it's for it's it's pressure shows up in the stat book. But it's also on a running attack. If you make a running back go east and west and he can't go downhill, that doesn't show up in a stat book.
Speaker 1: But everybody on film knows it, especially the interior offensive line.
Speaker 13: We kind of went through that in the run game a little bit. I forget who it was over at ESPN Analytics that kind of tried to do that. Hey, maybe air Donald's actually not as good of a run defender, as you all thought, and we.
Speaker 1: All promptly sent that one back and I love you.
Speaker 13: Seth Walder and those guys do a phenomenal job, but we're like, maybe we've overcooked this, yeah a little bit too. U ninety nine is in the opposing backfield with that color showing up almost every other play, and Jalen Carter's kind of there and he's got a little bit more like sand in his pants, Like that's a guy. And when Aaron Donald comes out and says, I think he told the Sean McCoy that's the new me, Like the next to me has arrived in the NFL.
Speaker 3: That's really all you need to know. And sand in your pants is just a little more wait, a little more wait. Letting your pencil, Aaron, Aaron your pencil. That's a family, that's a that's the area.
Speaker 1: We're talking about.
Speaker 2: The will be on the show. Get up, Come on now? Were you sending this show?
Speaker 10: Mike?
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: That one.
Speaker 1: Said it so which big mic? Yeah, baby, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Mike Golick Senior and Junior Here a host of Gojo and Golick on Draft Kings Network. Here the team more likely to blow out the other team in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 12: Well, I think it's Kansas City. Even though they've won double digit one score games. They have the ability with Mahomes, with Xavier Worthy, who can be a home run every time he touches a ball, I think to get that two to three score lead, I don't think they will. I'm actually going in Philadelphia with Philadelphia in this game. God knows why I betting against Kansas City.
Speaker 1: I mean, if we.
Speaker 2: Learn didn't do this with Brady all the time.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, I only have a few more years in this business. Yeah according to Mike, yeah, I'm in hospice. Yeah so, but I do think that Kansas City has more of the ability to blow off photo Kay, I would actually go opposite. I'm picking Kansas City to win the game.
Speaker 13: But if you ask me gamescript wise, who would be in a position, And I think it's still just all the time you can do that roster. I think between Saquon Barkley and the home run threat there and what we saw him in the NFC Championship Round A J. Brown kind of reminding everyone there were points early in this season when even amid Saquon Barkley's you know, MVP caliber year. People were like, that might be the most important player on the team when it's all said and done. So I think they'd be the team that would be more likely to if this thing went away and went sideways. It would be because they put there for You're wrong, Okay, nailed it, flawless victory.
Speaker 1: It's my analysis.
Speaker 10: He's wrong.
Speaker 3: If Saquon Barkley doesn't win the MVP, will a running back win an MVP in our lifetime?
Speaker 2: Now, your lifetime is not that much.
Speaker 1: Well that I was going to say, I got a couple more Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Ten years. Will a running back win the MVP?
Speaker 12: I mean, you look at was the year of the running back change in teams from Henry to Saquon? Did Joe Mixon to Josh Shacobs. But I don't think the value is going to increase in the contracts because of it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 10: I don't think so.
Speaker 12: I think Saquon is the one unless Derrick Henry has another night going to be over thirty next year, Unless Baltimore finally reaches a Super Bowl and he has another year like he had, he in my eyes, would be the only one unless you get a back that catches the ball out of the backfield like a Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 1: If he's ever healthy again, this is.
Speaker 3: The perfect, perfect story. Giants don't want him. We see it on TV unfold right before our very eyes. He goes to the Eagles and that offensive he changed their offense. Oh, without question, you rush for two thousand yards. Now, I know Lamar was great and Josh was great as well, But if you like value is such a weird word. If I it feels like the value of what he did for that Eagles team and Jalen Hurts two thousand yards. I think if he had gotten the record, then I think people would have it would have been easier for the voters to go, well, he did set the.
Speaker 12: I think if he were I had said on the show, if he'd ha gotten the record, he'd get the MVP. I thought he would have got them VP over Lamar, who I think.
Speaker 2: He show us not to get the MVP.
Speaker 1: He chose and the team kind of session. Yeah, it was the decision. It was.
Speaker 12: And if there's a record that can go down in the Super Bowl, Mike and I talked about it this morning. It's either three rushing touchdowns where you could tie it, or about three or four guys have it because you saw Saquon and Jalen both get three touchdowns in the championship game. But how about the rushing record two hundred and four yards Timmy Smith back in Super Bowl what twenty two for you youngsters that will not you know, remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Fritzy, remember it was ten nothing.
Speaker 10: Broncos in that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but two hundred and four yards Now, I don't know if he's.
Speaker 3: Going to get Terrell Davis's all time single season He's twenty nine yards I think for that, Yeah, they're nine yards time. I mean, it's it's something.
Speaker 13: To Dan's original question, I'll say, yes, we will, Like I wouldn't have thought so before, but we've kind of seen the pendulum swinging back. Right, we're five years from moving from this is a past in Space League.
Speaker 1: It's like the new.
Speaker 13: SEC West where Hey, everyone that we thought was playing this physical brand of football before turned it into eleven person nickel defenses and then everyone said, oh wait a minute, everyone got really light on defense. Let's go and run it right down their throat. And so you combine that, I think reinvesting inside the trenches for a lot of people with an influx of young running back talented like Jon Robinson in a couple of years, could be in that situation. If things don't materialize in Atlanta, maybe he's a guy that the team in the right spot, with the right line goes for. I mean, we're getting ready to watch one of them right now come out in the NFL Draft this year. So you've got a few young guys that could be in that position talent wise, if they land in the right situation breakthrough.
Speaker 3: When we look at you know, Lebron will never be greater than Michael Jordan in people's eyes, But can Patrick Mahomes be greater than Tom Braid? There's not this love affair for Brady that they're the admiration. The fandom for Mike was different. Oh, but you know, can Mahomes be looked at as better? What you have to do to be better than total?
Speaker 10: Listen? I think I think two things.
Speaker 12: I mean, you think of that the Patriots, how they were run by Belichick, nobody said anything, and.
Speaker 10: You look, can't they're fun? Andy Reid?
Speaker 12: Andy Reid, I hate to go away from your question, Andy Reid's going to be the winning his coach in the NFL. He's going to pass Donchula. He needs forty seven wins twelve and four years.
Speaker 10: He can do that.
Speaker 12: He needs three wins to pass Belichick for most playoff wins. He's going to be the winning as coach.
Speaker 1: Pat.
Speaker 12: While I disagree with it, quarterback and Super Bowl are joined at the hip. The number you win so and the number you lose, kind of like you know, Lebron with the number is loss as opposed to Jordan not losing any So I think Mahomes can reach Tom's because.
Speaker 1: He's what twenty eight, and I mean I think he could reach Tom's level for sure.
Speaker 2: I thought he has to get to that number.
Speaker 1: I think he has. I don't think so.
Speaker 12: I think he can get to a little less. But if he gets there, I think he's going to have it. But they're just more fun now. We are getting Kansas City Chief fatigue, right, kind of like Tiger Woods fatigue, Golden State fatigue. You know, you're kind of hoping somebody else wins. But I mean, they're a dynas.
Speaker 13: I forget who I had the conversation with, But I think our introduction to Pat was so different than with Tom like they shock drop pad on us. We got the seven Patriots right out of the gate with this version of Kansas City, and now we're getting to like the early one to two ones where it's more more grinded out, like the career arcs different. So even now as defense, last year was the story for this team and this year it's been you know, poison close moments and still a lot of the defense leaning on it. Like Pat's gonna get a lot of that credit because he showed us early on he's the reason why everything goes around there. So I don't think it's going to take matching that same number leaving the way Tom did at the end to beat all that. I think if Pat's close based on the ability, because he gives us that Aaron Rodgers ability, Like you guys, remember we had that conversation all the time, the best of all time versus the greatest of all times. Brady had all the accomplishment, but Aaron Rodgers had all the ability. We got the dude with both now, so if you're just close, I think they'll give that tie to him.
Speaker 3: And it's weird that I thought about Jill Montana for such a long period of time. You see him walking down the street, you'd say, that's the greatest quarterback of all time. Tom comes along, Now he loses that identity.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 3: Now Patrick Mahomes comes along, he goes down the totem pole there a little bit. It's it's kind of and he never lost, but still it's one of those where you lose your identity a little bit.
Speaker 12: And you see Jordan didn't. Jordan is six and zero and Jordan's still the top dog. Joe Montana maybe it's our age, Dan. Maybe Joe's because he's our age, you know, according to Mike, and you know, losing the identity.
Speaker 1: Talk about Dan, I was talking about you. Yeah, Oh Dan, young, spry, full of life.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 12: Yeah, But you're right about Joe. He just keeps keeps falling down the totem pole a little bit.
Speaker 13: Joe as seems we're doing all right though every year Notre Dame comes out with a new partner with some liquor.
Speaker 1: Company, and Joe's the face and bad for Joe.
Speaker 2: Right, No, but right, Thompson had a deep dive on Joe Montana.
Speaker 3: And it's a couple of years ago, but it really was illuminating that you so much as attached to your legacy like who you.
Speaker 2: Are, and then all of a sudden, you're not that, And I don't know. It just made him.
Speaker 3: I don't know, And then I talked to him about it, and you know, he's not sharing in his you know, his awards, they're not around like he just I don't know. And he was all banged up. He went through hell with his body, and I don't know. For some reason, the greater that Mahomes is and Brady has been the like Dan Marino. I think Dan Marino is one of the you know, you can say influential quarterbacks of all time. Completely he was doing five wide in the eighties, like he was so far ahead of everybody quickus release.
Speaker 12: I I played with and against one of we were teammates for a year. But that's one of the reasons. And I chose not to be one of the greatest players.
Speaker 13: Because I didn't want to then go through losing my identity accomplished. Damn will Dare not all your dreams, kids just set them dangerously low.
Speaker 2: And your son has followed in your fo.
Speaker 10: The NFL.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, let's you know, bottom out in college and they go it today.
Speaker 3: It's Mike Senior, Mike Junior ones Big Mike, co host of Gojo and Golic on DraftKings Network. It's great to see you guys. My best to the family, certainly your wife and uh, we'll come back. We'll close up shop. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon Eastern sixty to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Mat It's lit Tomorrow it'll be front row back row in pickleball, So that's Marvin and PAULI versus Seaton and Fritzy. I just gave them pickleball rackets from Miller Lite. They also gave us special pickleball shoes from Schedulers. You guys got to come up with uniforms though, like you gotta have matching uniforms, I think, and then it'll be front row back row. Is anything at stake in this aside from professional pride, which is really the most valuable thing around here can be canb yeah, any anybody have any sweep steaks here? I mean it's just you guys playing and looking silk.
Speaker 2: Right to talk trash for the next three years. Wow? Maybe Yeah, that'll be great pickleball trash. Yeah, Marvin, you guys playing for anything or is it just you know, no show content?
Speaker 10: It's on like ray Don Chong? Okay?
Speaker 2: Where is ray donk Chong?
Speaker 10: No shoes on fire at once.
Speaker 4: The principal and Commando with Schwarzenegger and soul Man.
Speaker 2: So, man, I don't think they're making that movie.
Speaker 1: I can't, man, No, No, the reason there's no soul Man too?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Does see Thomas Howe? See Thomas Howe and he was dating ray dray Don Chong? Yeah, Cheech and Chong's daughter ran, Yeah, it's on like ray Dong Chong. I thought it was on like Donkey Kong Okay, okay. Yeah, I'm over ray Don fan myself, but I was.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen her lately though.
Speaker 10: I'm sure she's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah you think so.
Speaker 3: And once again I was able to sleep comfortably last night knowing that Beyonce got the Best Album of the Year after ninety nine Grammy nominations and she won. She got best country and she got best album?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 10: Marvin Yep?
Speaker 2: Okay? Good? And let me see was there something else? I didn't know this? When you know?
Speaker 3: Caught up in all the Mavericks and the Lakers, Nicola bush Ditch had a triple double for the Bulls, Vusovich and play. He's the ninety first player to record a triple double this season. What ninety first different player to have a triple double this year? Is that?
Speaker 4: Taking the specialness side?
Speaker 10: I think so.
Speaker 3: Only once in the previous twenty years has there been more players with triple doubles prior to the All Star break, and that was twenty twenty two. When there's one hundred and seven, A couple of phone calls, Oh, we got a stat of the day.
Speaker 6: Okay, stat of the day, stat of the day, Stata of the day, the day today.
Speaker 3: Stat of the Day brought to you by Benini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Jimmy and Chicago has been holding all show long. Jimmy, thanks for joining us, staying with us. Hey, Dan, I can't.
Speaker 14: Believe the Bulls traded Zach Levine and for what they got in return?
Speaker 2: I take us to see them next week, and.
Speaker 14: I don't really even care about at this point, And I just want to know your thoughts with the NBA All Star Game coming up. I know they're doing a new tournament format, but what are your thoughts on is they went back to the original format and the winning conference we get home court event and for the finals like Baseball does with THEIRS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't like that.
Speaker 3: That was something that Fox demanded, not demanded, but they said, look, we need to have their added.
Speaker 2: Importance for the All Star Game. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't and it only hopes helps one team if I play in the West and we win a great you know, we got home court advantage for Oklahoma City, Like, I don't care.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mark, Can you imagine if you were the ninety eight Yankees and you didn't have home field advantage in the World Scaree because Weiss went off for the National League?
Speaker 3: You imagine it, Walt Wis Weiss, Ray dun Chong any other mentions today, I'm thinking, yeah, yeah, that's a RANDO for you. Well, I had Kim Cornes the other day, so that was random too.
Speaker 10: I'm like Vinnie Goodwill, I live in the Crates.
Speaker 2: Vinnie Goodwill, he's a good guest. Fun show. Today.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 3: It's like easing into New Orleans last night. Got to bed early, pacing ourself even though every day's Super Bowl. Maybe we go out lunch together today. I'm in okay, Well are you in?
Speaker 2: Are you in or out? I'm in okay. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe you have a pool party a little later on as well. Apparently a preview of Todd's poll question tomorrow, Steph. Lunches are generally a fun time, okay, depending on seating or indatory.
Speaker 1: A lunch on top of a dinner. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This day in sports history, Paulie.
Speaker 7: Let's see eighteen seventy six, Albert Spaulding opened a sporting store. He made the first baseball, tennis, ball, basketball, golf ball, and football at that place.
Speaker 4: Here's the trade.
Speaker 7: Nineteen seventy one, the Twins traded Rod Carew to the Angels for four players. The Super Patriots two thousand and two, their first SUPERWL win twenty to seventeen over the Los Angeles Rams.
Speaker 3: So two thousand and eight was that when I was on that one, I was I on Letterman for that that was the Eli Manning's.
Speaker 2: Right, two thousand and eight? Is that long ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 10: Doing this? Why? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I just I just remember when I got done taping that show and Paulie's like, what did you do? And I go, I think the Giants are going to beat the Patriots, and then Dave Letterman said, have you been drinking?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: See, I remember being like, why did he just say it? But just because you're in New York doesn't mean you have to pick the Giants, I know. But the thing is is, I.
Speaker 3: Said, the audience is not from New York at Letterman, They're from you know, They're tourists who come in. So I wasn't going, Hey, I'll say the Giants are going to win. I remember Letterman Gunner, have you been drinking? And I was like, no, actually no, I actually thought that. Let's see, on this day, the first three point shot in the history of the NBA All Star Game was made first one nineteen eighty George Gervin MVP. Oh, George Gervin, MVP. This player hit the first three point shot in NBA All Star Game history.
Speaker 2: Marvin, please just won hint. You don't need hints for this.
Speaker 10: For nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: I don't think you do. Larry, Yeah, Larry, Joe Bird Yeah, Blue Blue Blue. The XFL made its debut. How about that one? It was the Las Vegas Outlaws beating the New Jersey Hitmen.
Speaker 2: Uh, he hate me?
Speaker 1: He hate me?
Speaker 8: Dang?
Speaker 2: Was that a moment?
Speaker 3: Final results of the poll question, Oh, are we getting Cooper Manning on the show tomorrow? Todd?
Speaker 10: He is coming by tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Oh, all right, Cooper? Is he bringing Arch Manning?
Speaker 1: Not now?
Speaker 10: Maweri?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair enough, we can invite him. Let's see, let's go around the room. What we learned on the program? Paul? Would you learn today?
Speaker 10: Let's see?
Speaker 7: I learned Marvin knows a lot of references with stuff before he was born. I know, Uh, Todd, what did you learn today? Several guys in the jacuzzi together made referred to as dude soup.
Speaker 10: Hadn't heard that term?
Speaker 3: No, it's it was a Brokozzi brocus, a bunch of bros in the kuzie. Marvin Ross, Tucker, NBA analysts. Yeah, I know he played high school basketball. That for therefore makes you an analysts? Seaton, what did you learn today? Nobody knew that trade was coming.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and usually there's always somebody to go. You know, I was getting some indications. You know, I've gotten some random text here, Paulie. Oh No, I asked Fritzy, Fritzy, what did I learn today?
Speaker 10: If the Eagles win the Super Bowl?
Speaker 9: Ross Tucker feels we might consider the Eagles getting Saquon the best free agent deal of all time.
Speaker 3: What we learned brought to you by Keeper's Heart new unique style of whiskey that combines the best of Irish and American whiskey, creating a smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskeys. If you're a whiskey fan, try it and as always, drink responsibly.
Speaker 2: My thanks to the.
Speaker 3: Exchange hosting us great pickleball facility here in New Orleans, and the Dnets are getting.
Speaker 2: Ready to play some pickleball coming up. Have a great day, everybody,