Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia Judice, Davey Kent, and Jennifer Kessler. Hi everyone, welcome back to another episode of Dirty Rush and Happy Thanksgiving. So in honor of Thanksgiving, we are going to be talking to a chef, not just any chef, looking to Kevin Ashton, who is the house chef for Pi Beta Pi sorority at the University of Nevada. So, Kevin has an unbelievable following. Some of you may know him. I think he has like five million followers on TikTok. He is a wonder and we're going to find out everything. We have a ton of questions for him. So let's bring in Kevin.
Speaker 2: Hello, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I am very interested in all things Kevin Ashton and what you do and why you do it and how you do it.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: Let's just if you wouldn't mind just tell me a little bit about how this happened. You are, well, there's a lot to ask about. I mean, you have this unbelievable following on TikTok, of course, but what made you decide to want to be a chef for a sorority that is.
Speaker 2: You know, there's such a long story behind that, but it basically boils down to I've been in the restaurant business my whole life. I've been food has been has Food has been my life since I was a little kid. So I went to culinary school in nineteen ninety one and I began my professional career after that, and I was a chef for thirty years. And when the pandemic hit, all the restaurants got shut down, and so all the chefs got to take a break for the first time in their lives and for me, and after thirty years in the kitchens, it's the first time I had a couple months off, and I decided I really liked it. So I retired from the restaurant business and I started shooting tiktoks and I did that for a little while, and then one of the alums reached out to me. She knew I wasn't doing anything besides shooting videos, and she said, hey, we have this position our chef. You know, we lost our chef. Would you be interested in just coming down and talking to us about about the job. And it just like everything about the job just lined up perfect. I got to take you mean, I got I got to take summers off. I get the nights and weekends off, I get like all these I got a lot of time off. Essentially, That's what it boiled down to. And that's what the hard part about the restaurant business is is you uh, you know, if you if you really want to commit to that business, you you're working nights and weekends and holidays and you pore your life into it. And I raised I raised four daughters and you know, it's very few of their performances at soccer games and events. And because my life was committed to the restaurants, so I it was like it was great to uh to have the opportunity to still cook in a kitchen. But not but at the seem I have all the time off. You know, I'm home every evening now, I'm on the weekends, I'm home on all the holidays. So and I take it a long break over the summer. So it's it's just perfect for me.
Speaker 1: Wow, did it?
Speaker 2: Kurk?
Speaker 1: This was an opportunity in terms of your social media career because I've not met somebody who does what you do and who is not just works. You know, in that house, but your professional chef. How lucky are these are these girls? And I'm sure it comes with so many challenges? Was that part of why you accepted the job, like this is going to be really interesting to people?
Speaker 2: It was they told me, I could you know? They they essentially handed me over the whole kitchen. They said, you can cook whatever you want. You write the menu, you do the shopping, you cook the food, you wash your own dishes. It's basically I'm a one man show. And so I didn't have to worry about employees. I didn't have to worry. I just like you know, every every every weekend, I think about the menu for the upcoming week, and I write it out and I send it to the girls and they all reply with what they want or don't want. We have alternative options if they don't like something.
Speaker 1: There has to be You have them there asking people to do this with you. How many girls are there?
Speaker 2: I do it all alone. There's twenty twenty five girls plus one house mom. So I cooked for like twenty I cook her twenty six meals lunch and dinner.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I do you get your still have your home? Your home at night? I'm surprised to hear that sounds like the most work ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, they eat dinner at five o'clock, so I'm usually done by six and home by six thirty. And that's a that's unheard of in the restaurant business. There is one girl that works in house and she does the dishes in the evening, and it's kind of like a part time job for her, so she doesn't even have to go out and get another job. This is they pay her to do the dishes, and they they've been doing that for a couple of years. For me, when I started out, I did my own dishes and I clean up along. As you know, throughout the day. As I go, I clean up. But at the end of the night, they'll go through and they'll take care of the last of the dishes that the girls.
Speaker 1: Everything having to deal with. First of all, girls that age. You have four daughters, so that must have come pretty naturally. But I just cannot imagine cooking and girls correct me if I'm wrong. At while they're in college, they're very particular. They got a lot going on up here about what to eat and what not to eat. I would think that your job would be so challenging.
Speaker 2: It's you know, it's it is, but I like, like I said, food has been my life's passion. So and having raised girls, I understand how they think. And and my daughters are the same ages they're they're in their early twenties, so there, it's it's the same. It's like I understand that they like to eat healthy, but at the same time, they like to have cheap days. You know, they like a nice Greek yogurt bowl, but they also like cheeseburger and fries. And so there's a balance that I that I have to do when I write them.
Speaker 1: Babe, do you have to be conscious of all the dietary restrictions every meal? So like I can't write so you're cooking multiple I would think options each meal.
Speaker 2: Well, I create a I create a menu, and then we do have we do have some dietary restrictions and every semester or every year, we've had some and I adhere to those wholeheartedly. And I do my best to Like, if they're gluten free and I'm doing it at pasta night, I'll just get some gluten free pasta. That way, the girls kind of feel like they're eating the same thing. I don't just make them a salad because everyone else is having, you know, pasta with gluten in it. I try to make them feel like they're part of the same meal. And it's tough. Sometimes we have depending what the allergies are. I've had everything from shellfish allergies, soybean allergies, nut allergies. There's just so there's different guidelines. I followed them. I really do my best to. Of course, I don't give them any you know, any allergies that completely adhere to those, and and just I use just substitute items. If it comes down to, you know, we have some girls who are dairy free and gluten free, and if I'm doing like fanaccini alfredo that's pretty much all dairy and gluten, then I'll say, you know, let's let's pick something. I have a whole list of alternative meals that they can choose from, so they're never gonna They're never gonna go hungry. If they can't eat what I'm actually making, or if they don't like what I'm making, they simply say, you know, I don't want the feteccini alfredo, I want a burger to back, or I want a chicken Caesar tonight, I.
Speaker 1: Say it to you. So now they're down for dinner at five o'clock. Someone tastes something you've made and they don't like it, will you then prepare them something else? Or like my mother, will you say, well I made it, you're eating it or you're going hungry?
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, Generally that that doesn't happen because they sign up ahead of time. They sign up for the whole week, so they see what's on the menu, and they know if they don't like something coming up, then they choose for that particular day an alternative meal. So at the beginning of the day, I know what everybody's going to have, and I've never I've never had somebody come up and say, hey, I don't like this. If they did, I'd make them something different. Though I always have lots of food on hands, so I could I could do a quick burger or.
Speaker 1: A Q So even tempered, and it's just from the very short amount of time that we're speaking, and I think that's probably so conducive to what you do. I mean, I think you would have to be even tempered. Is there anything hard though about what you do? These girls, their personalities it's you make it sound very easy.
Speaker 2: You know what. For for me, I feel like it is. The girls are inspirational. They are they they're so kind and they do so many kind things throughout throughout the year, and I just watch them and they inspire me to to be on my best behavior. And you know, I just I'm kind nature as it is, so it's easier to get along with them. In four years, I've never had a single argument with any of the girls. Just like, if they don't like something, I say, hey, no problem, let's let's do so let's fix it. And you know, sometimes they'll come up and say, you know, I want this meal, but I don't want that particular part of it, so we'll leave it off for them.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've never had an argument with any of these girls. There's never been trouble of any kind. You are an amazing man. No, No, I just have to tell you that's I find that fascinating. I can't imagine being with that age group of girls every day lunch and dinner and speaking so highly of them and kindly of them. I think I would go crazy, maybe because I also have a twenty three year old duster.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's funny. It's I see it like these these girls have a they like I say, they're very busy through throughout the year. They're always doing a lot of philanthropy. They're always giving back to the community. And when they're not doing that, they're studying and they're going to classes, and they work so hard. And to actually take a break from all of that and just sit down and enjoy a meal, that's sometimes they're only downtime in the whole day. And oftentimes if they if they're a long ways from home, which a lot of them are, then that's kind of like that one time when they can kind of get that feel and they have a comfortable meal and the last thing they need is some sort of negative vibe going coming out of the kitchen. When makes them not you know, that's the one peaceful moment they have in the day. I want to make it just perfect for them.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's lovely and I shouldn't say this. I was about to say, you make me want to become a chef. I absolutely do not want to ever, ever, ever, ever do that. But I'm a little bit in awe of you, my friend. What do you put on social media?
Speaker 2: Well, I just film. I film what I do for them every day. So I just film what I did social media for a couple of years. So going into the job, I had a I had a small following, and it of course they grew over the years. And I think that's just because of the the the mystery of a sorority house. Nobody really ever gets to see inside a sorority house and know what goes on. They all have ideas of what goes on in there, but really I didn't even know what it was like going in. And it's it's so different than than what you like. I say. These girls work hard, they raise money for the community, they're all going to school. They just it's and and so it's a it's an aspiring place to work, it really is. So my videos are just like what I do on a daily basis cool.
Speaker 1: I don't know that. I wonder if the chefs feel the same way, because I think you probably know this the poor girls, but sororities, you know, they're they come in all different shapes and sizes, right, But it sounds like you're maybe in a house of girls that are more studious, and so there's a lot of mischief going on.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't want to say they don't. They're not. They're not typical college students because they are and it is a it is a dry house, so of course there's no alcohol allout in the house. But a lot of girls, they are over twenty one, and they're welcome to go out anytime they want and go to the bars or go party, and they do that and every now and then I'll see them on Friday morning because most of them don't have class Friday morning. That's the one morning I do brunch. The rest of the week, they kind of do their own breakfast.
Speaker 1: It's like on Friday mornings, I'd.
Speaker 2: Mix it up. I've done everything from like eggs benedict to like a nice Greek yogurt bowls. I've done chicken fried steak, and I like last Friday, I did pumpkin pancakes for them. So I just I make it different every week I do it. I like to incorporate a lot of different fresh berries and fresh fruit, depending what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Do they have a favorite? Is there something that the girls just love when you may you have a specialty.
Speaker 2: Lunch or dinner dinner wise, they like the case Saberia tacos that's their It's it's a it's like a stewed meat that's stewed all day long and then it goes in these tacos and you kind of dip it in this uh in this consumme. So it's like a taco, it's dip in a weird sort of way, and they're just absolutely delicious. And the girls that's that's their all time favorite. They that's my most requested meal. And it takes a lot of work. Yeah, the uh So, I have a little I have a little suggestion box so they can put suggestions in it and I take those and incorporate those into the menus that I write every week.
Speaker 1: Is there been ever like a wild suggestion any of like anything?
Speaker 2: Was just uh, There's just sometimes there's things I can't do only because I am by myself. They'll like, don't They'll want certain types of pizzas or something, and I can't really do pizza for like individual I can't do twenty five individual pizzas. It's just too hard. And so so there's there's certain things that I that are just a little beyond beyond my byreach. But as a chef, I understand that, and so I just don't put it on the menu. I know what my capabilities are, and I try to I try to stretch those limits a little bit sometimes, but I I definitely never get myself in deep water to where where you know, because they have to they eat, they sign up to eat at a certain time five or five fifteen or five point thirty. And I know a lot of them have classes. So I don't want to. I don't want to be so behind that they're you know, they have to leave and don't get food because they have to go to class, or they're going to be late to class because I'm behind. So I again, it's just that balance of like, you know, not overstepping my balance and knowing knowing what my limitations are.
Speaker 1: Have you had, you know, reformed relationships with some of these girls a dad or a brother. Are there something that you keep in touch with it are no longer living in the house.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't keep in touch with any of them, but I have run into some of them locally, and it's always like, hey, how you doing. You know, long time no see And it's just like it's really great to see them because I do I do friends form friendships with them. It's it's kind of like like your work family, Like they just live in the house. I'm just the chef. But to me, these are the girls I see every single day when I go to work, So they're like my work family. And I talk to them and I, you know, I quick, Hey, how you doing. Oh I'm a little stressed. I got a test today. Oh what class are you in? And we just have little conversations and and so I I learn about them, where they're from, when where they're going home for the holidays and uh so, so it is nice to uh to form these friendships with them, But yeah, I don't. I don't really keep in touch with any of them. But it's always great to see them outside of the house. Even if I'm just at the grocery store on a Saturday and I run into a couple of them. You know, it's it's it's not awkward, it's it's very friendly and warm. It's a it's just a warm how you doing, And it's really nice.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. These girls, These are very lucky girls. I hope they know how lucky they are.
Speaker 2: People say that I always feel like I'm the lucky one. You know, it's it's it's the best job in the world. It really is. Wow.
Speaker 1: I I love hearing that. I haven't heard anyone say that in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a I'm blessed. I am.
Speaker 1: I want to follow you now on TikTok. Where do we find you?
Speaker 2: Old school Chemo across the board TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, old school it's old old DS cool, c O L Kemo. I always say that because old.
Speaker 1: Cool, old is cool. And what about keV Mo?
Speaker 2: So Kemo's just what my friends always used to call me when I was when I was like starting in high school, they always called me Kevmo instead of Kevin Kevin. So it became old old school Chemo, all right, And it just it just kind of stuck. And I wasn't even sure when I had to pick a user name. It's just when I threw out there and then my accounts kind of blew up.
Speaker 1: I mean they really have, Like, am I right? Do you have like five million followers something?
Speaker 2: I do? On on I have like eight On TikTok, I have like five and a half million followers. I have about eight million followers across the board total, and it's just been.
Speaker 1: A eight million followers. I mean, what do you think that is?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: I mean? Yes, I think people want to see what goes on I guess in a sorority house, but can't be it. I mean, is it what you're cooking? Is it your personality that people just find very charming and calming? What is it that is drawing all of these people to you?
Speaker 2: I think I think a lot of it. People tell me it's my voice. They say they could listen to me, you know, read the phone book. I always used to try to sing when I was younger, and I was terrible at singing because I can't carry a tune. But I guess just speaking, I never you know, I just assumed even speaking it was because I had a bad voice. But when I started doing my videos, they say, I love your voice. I love your voice. And I always, like, was told you're a terrible singer. You're a terrible singer. So it's like it was really hard for me to to make make that connection of like it's okay to be a bad thing of but maybe I do have a good speaking voice. Yes, so that's what people tell me. Maybe that's part of it. I really do put a lot of it on the fact that people are curious what goes on in the sorority house, and they don't see anything that goes on in the house. They see the kitchen and that's all. I don't show any parts of the house. Come on, no, I try to keep them out of the videos as much as I can. You might just catch the back of one of them their head as they walk by, like in the background, But I try to try to keep their privacy to themselves, try to make it about them, but more about me and the food I'm serving.
Speaker 1: I feel like you would be watching watching would be like watching what is the guy's name, Bob Green, the painter, Bob Roster, Bob Rost. Yes, I feel like it would be like that a little bit.
Speaker 2: People have compared me to him as the Bob Ross of cooking, so I do too, And I don't mind that. You know, he had a he had a very cool.
Speaker 1: Vibe, spromizing way about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I and I do the same thing with you know, a little bit of salt here and just a little bit of garlic over there and whatever. So it's it's I suppose I.
Speaker 1: Love that, very grateful that you can't talk to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, this is this is cool. I love sharing my story. I love telling everybody about it, just because it is. I think it's a unique situation. And it's a like before I before the pandemic, and actually before I got the phone call about coming in and interviewing for the job, I never knew a job like this existed. I don't know what I thought, what I thought they did. I didn't know that sorority houses and the fraternities as well have chefs. And I didn't realize this I did.
Speaker 1: I mean, I lived in one, but I wouldn't. I just I don't know. I didn't really register, you know, like who was cooking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, up at the campus, there's different food outlets, and I know there's chefs there, and I maybe just assume that's where all the food came from. I didn't think of it, being like the house I work in is not regulated by by the city. It's it's not a restaurant. It's a private it's a private home. So essentially I'm a private chef just working at this home, cooking for these girls. And it's just it's just really really neat.
Speaker 1: It's uh, I remember we had a couple of I thought of them as cooks more than chefs. I don't remember them being as invested and with as much experience. I think these girls, again, are very lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's funny because I've I've cooked in I live in Reno, and I've cooked in this town as a chef for thirty years. And I've met a lot of chefs, and I have a lot of really close friends that have been in the industry for so long, and they all tell me, Man, how did you get that job? Like that's a dream job And I never really thought about it. But a lot of my chefs, who are very high up, working in the casinos, working in you know, very successful restaurants, they want to leave those jobs and like get themselves a sorority house job or a fret house job. You know, they want to they want to take it easy on the weekends, they want to take the summers off, and they want to they want to get out of that. It's a grind working in the industry. It's a tough shot to be and you know, as for cooks, dishwashers, servers, the whole industry, it's a it's a hard business. To be in. So I feel like I got lucky and I can still cook and I can still share my passion, but I don't have to deal with the whole restaurant industry anymore. So it makes me feel good. It's not it's it's my heart goes out to everybody still doing it. It's a tough business and it's like where I spent my career. So I I love all the people in it, and I really try to treat them all well and take care of them. But on the other hand, I'm like, oh, look at me now. You know. It's like you guys might be a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I started something here, you're starting. Who knows there's going to be a new wave of Greek house chefs.
Speaker 2: It's so cool, I think. So I think people are seeing that it's a it's a pretty cool gig, and I just, you know, I was a little I was a little curious when I took the job, how other people were gonna look at me as a chef, you know, working in a sorority house. And it didn't. It didn't. Not that I have a great reputation, but it didn't take my reputation at all. They all just absolutely followers.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling like people like looking at you, so I think I suppose all right, keV Moo, well, thank you so much for joining us. Absolutely really cool, so interesting.
Speaker 2: We appreciate