Speaker 1: This is the most traumatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. Hope everybody's having a great week. Hope you're doing fantastic. Today we were discussing LZ with the kids. We were talking sex with the kids. That sounds bad, but we were talking about just dating with kids, having discussions, but also like how kids are growing up and how they grow up so fast now and how that kind of changes the conversations you have to have with them and their perceptions about sex, dating and the like, and so we thought, let's jump on, let's bring this to the masses.
Speaker 2: Well, I really was an advocate on this because I think you've done an excellent job with your kids in terms of talking to them about dating.
Speaker 3: I'm actually, you know what, I don't know if I know about how.
Speaker 2: Much you would talk to them about sex or not. Maybe I'll learn some stuff on the podcast right now, but I think that you have just crushed it with the way that you are open with them. I mean, I don't want to speak for you or I want you to kind of give your tips on it, but what I have seen to set the scene is I have seen an environment with both Josh and Taylor where they come to you for dating advice, where they tell you when they're dating someone. I mean they would even tell you, oh my god, I kiss somebody the other night, and they'll kind of even get to some of that, you know, more intimate stuff with you a little bit. And I think that it's really beautiful to see. It's when I watch you talk to the kids about dating, and I speak to them about it too, obviously, but sure it's what I wish I had with my parents a little bit, and probably especially with my dad. I never and I don't fault him for this, it's a different generation, but I never felt comfortable talking to my dad about dating, and no, my dad was like very I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 3: It felt judgmental. Yeah, it was a flaw of his.
Speaker 2: And I think when your kids don't feel comfortable, that's when they start hiding things from you.
Speaker 3: That's when secrets start.
Speaker 2: And I think if you ask any parent, they would say, I don't want my kids to hide things from me.
Speaker 3: So what is the solution, babe?
Speaker 2: How do you feel like you created this environment that I'm describing where the kids share their dating lives with you.
Speaker 1: I think first and foremost, it's something that you and I both believe in with parenting be involved in their life. You have to build a foundation before you can put the roof on, Meaning you can't just show up when they're thirteen, fourteen, fifteen years old and dive into a conversation or expect them to open up to you if you haven't built that foundation when they're younger, or when you started your relationship with them in your case, or someone coming into their lives. If you don't start that from the beginning and have that kind of relations and ship, you can't just be like, well, why why wouldn't you tell me that. It's like, well, we've never talked about that. So I would say first and foremost, and it's never too late to start. But start having a conversation. That's not important. That's not about sex, it's not about dating. It doesn't have to mean anything. But you're just finding out about their life, asking them questions. It could be about their soccer practice, their theater, you know, whatever it is. Are you scared about your audition, tell me about that, you know, just start those conversations about feelings and emotions.
Speaker 2: I asked, do you think part of that was because you're so right and I've seen you do that with Like I'm thinking about how you even know a lot about the kids' friends and I my dad. I mean, my dad cared about my life, but I think my dad got a lot of like the information about me from.
Speaker 1: My mom and your mom definitely did that work?
Speaker 3: Well, No, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Really asking is that do you think that was a product of you being divorced that because you were divorced, it forced me more into that you kind of had to like that stuff out from the kids directly to have those conversations. You had that one on one time with them versus like sometimes in a marriage, is one partner maybe the more conduit to the kids.
Speaker 3: What do you think I.
Speaker 1: Think there is something to that. I would like to think I was communicative with them and would have been very much involved in their lives. And you know, I think jobs it was like nine and Tay may have been seven when we got divorced. The they were young, but I still was already very involved in their lives. But yeah, No, when you are obviously a single parent, you have much more intimate moments where it's just you and you're just dealing with their issues and their problems because you know no one else is there to lean on. Even though their mom was very much involved in big situations and all that, on the day to day you're having those conversations, and when the kids weren't with me, you wanted to stay active in their lives. So it probably forced me to call them more and text more and find out what was going on. So yeah, I bet that did play into it a little bit for sure. But I think it is important, no matter what your situation is to build that foundation because when it's important, they need to know they already have that trust. They know how you're going to react, right, They know that you're not judgmental, or they know you may be judgmental, so however you are, they get to know how you're going to be in those situations so they're ready for it as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think what you're saying is so important right now, because you're right. You're really I've never thought about this, but yeah, probably me not telling my parents that much about dating wasn't even because I also didn't tell my mom that much about my dating life. I was afraid of her as well, and probably what it stemmed for wasn't even necessarily how you know, wasn't built on reactions to my dating, but it was built on reactions to other things. Like you know, my parents were very and I can't vault them. I think it turned out pretty good, but it was reactionary. Like if I didn't get a good grade at school, it was it was met with anger, you know. So and it wasn't like, well, what went wrong and are you It was like I did something.
Speaker 1: Wrong and I was in trouble tried to hide it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then I and that's probably what I thought, Well, if they react this way, then they're going to react a certain way about dating stuff.
Speaker 1: But I also think that my generation of parents the helicopter parents. You know, there was the latch key kids, and then that led to the helicopter parents.
Speaker 3: I mean, you are a helicopter parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I would like to think I'm not, but that's your generation. Yeah, But my generation definitely was, and I probably was to a certain degree. And what that led to was this instant knowledge, right, And part of this was parents just didn't have access For example, when Josh or Taylor's in school they did bad on a test, you would get a notice or you could check online before the kids ever got out of school. And so that you know, your child gets out of school.
Speaker 3: And do you think it's a good thing.
Speaker 1: It's a horrible thing. It's a horrible thing. I think it's a really bad thing anyway. I mean, I think there's probably a flip side to it. But when your kid gets out of school before they even you know, get the juice box and relax. You're like, what happened on your math test today? It's like, well, like come on, like, give me a chance to But and I think what that took away from a generation is I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but I had the opportunity to make mistakes and then correct those mistakes. Okay, Chris, you got three more weeks to get that great up before mom and dad find.
Speaker 3: Out how I get the report card.
Speaker 1: That's called problem solving, being a good businessman, being a good negotiator. You know, there were all these life lessons that you had to learn because you had to get to this end goal as opposed to well, I know that mom just found you know, you don't have an opportunity to fix anything before you just your life blows up. And I don't like the instant knowledge and the instant ramifications of a decision or a moment when you got to have a time to grow those skills in life, if that makes sense. And so I think the helicopter parents like we quickly learned, like you got to pull back. Man, You've got to give these kids a moment.
Speaker 2: So in order to talk to your kids about dating one day, you have to start that foundation early.
Speaker 3: You have to grow.
Speaker 2: A relationship that's built on conversations and sharing about things conversation.
Speaker 1: You can't be the first conversation.
Speaker 2: So you've done that, and then what happens they start dating? And how do you even broach when you know that they're going to get to that place? Do you think you have conversations with them about dating before they ever start dating.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the other thing. For the most part, you do know better because we've experienced life. You can see the hurdles that they're probably going to trip over in life because you've fallen all on your face yourself. Now as a parent, you have this kind of scale, the scales of justice of how much do I share, how much I don't want them to fail. I don't want them to fall in their face. But to a certain degree, they also have to They have to experience their own lives. Can't tell them everything, and so when you enter into these conversations, you got to leave a little bit of mystery, a little bit of judgment on the sidelines and let them also experience life. Because yes, we do know some of the answers, but also that was my experience, and it was my generation, and that's how we dated and that's what we went through. That's not necessarily what your kids are going to go through. So it's good to share. But it's also I tried to lead with questions, not answers. Yeah, and that's a big difference. Lead with questions not answers. Questions are a lot less judgmental, and even if you do have some knowledge to impart on them, if you let them find that in their own answers to questions, they learn a lot better. It's kind of the annoying thing, sorry to break up, Remember the annoying thing your mom and your dad did when you were writing a book report, you were like, Mom, where's Italy, it's like, go look it up. You're like, Jesus, you know the answer. Just tell me you know what's four times eight? Again? And they're like, well do your multipplications? Like God, I just need the answer. Can you just tell me? I know you know it? So that dating, that's that that kind of goes into this of like I know you know the answer, but you don't have to give the answer, let them find it.
Speaker 2: I think that's something I've gone back and forth on so much and I still do in a parental role. Is I think there's such power in letting them come to the conclusion themselves, like well, you know, say they're going to break up with someone, Well, how do you think you'll feel if you break up with them? Well, what's making you think you want to do that? And kind of letting them get there versus just straight up giving them advice.
Speaker 3: But then you.
Speaker 2: Also, I think there's a desire to share your experiences, not even necessarily solely for like them to learn from that's a part of it, but also so they don't feel alone. Like I found myself doing that a lot, and sometimes I worry I do it too much. But like trying to say that happened to me too at your age, like to make them feel like it's not that the world is ending, you know, So how do you strike that balance? It's because at that age everything feels like the world is ending.
Speaker 1: It is so big, and you got to remember how big things felt to you and how you felt like like you said, oh my god, my life's over, I can't even go to school. We have to move.
Speaker 3: Right, he broke up with me. I'll never I'm so depressed.
Speaker 1: I went to go talk to her in the lunchline and I spilled my you know, fruit punch down my hand and everyone laughed at me or whatever. And you realize, think about your own life, right, did you ever go home and think about what that person did at school that day? You know, the other the other person?
Speaker 3: That's so, how do you balance it?
Speaker 2: How do you balance sharing asking questions and sharing stories and that kind of I.
Speaker 1: Think you you have to impart a little wisdom with your own life stories, but trying not to get so stuck into telling every story you've ever had.
Speaker 2: I think what you just said is smart, Like ask questions first, and then maybe share a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then share a story about like how you've failed one day or whatever, and it's just how life will go on and this too shall pass. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always try to end on that positive note of like I promise in the grand scheme, like this is going to be fine, because those first dating situations again feel huge and everything feels like love, and their emotions are so high and their hormones are raging, and so how do you first get into the And.
Speaker 1: It's being excited for them, and it's and it's preparing for them. You know, our kids are in their twenties, so clearly they've had their first dates and boyfriends and girlfriends, et cetera. And so we've been through this stage with them. And now when they go on dates or whatever, it's not the end all be all because they are prepared for it. And I think again building that foundation of when they go on that first date, letting them know you're not going to marry this person probably, you know, it's like preparing them for just go have fun. Whatever this turns out to be. Let it be, and they may just turn out to be a really good friend. You get some laughs, whatever, you may come home with a good story. Even if you do something silly, just understand that this. It's kind of like what I would tell an adult. The first date can't mean everything. Your first date experience can't mean everything. Be excited about it. Be excited for them, right, be a part of them getting ready or you know, put some music on, have fun or whatever. And then when they come home if they're upset that it didn't go, well, whatever, just keep that excitement up of it was like, that was so fun, though, How great is that? Ye think about you? How d yeah? Think about how good the next one's going to be. And by the way, think about how prepared you're going to be now, because now you know that you know the door swings both.
Speaker 2: Well, well you just said the excitement thing is simple but so important because again I go back to like, like my own parents were definitely not excited when I started dating. They like viewed it as a problem, and now we have to deal with this, and this is like.
Speaker 3: And I get it. You know you're worried as an.
Speaker 1: Apparent since that, what do you mean as a young girl?
Speaker 2: You said, well, yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm like, it was not a good feeling. I immediately felt like I was doing things wrong, but like, what I was doing was totally normal. I was going on dates as a teenager in high school, and it kind of felt like I was always fighting this uphill battle. And I understand that where they were coming from was just worry. They didn't want anything to happen to me. They didn't want me to make any life altering mistakes, you know. But you, I think were really good about that with Like I remember when Taylor got asked to her first dance, a dance for the first time, and she like came in and told us, and you know, you were so.
Speaker 3: Excited for her, and it was like, oh, this is so great, this is I.
Speaker 2: Mean, we both were, But you, as the dad, I think that you created a really safe space, and probably everything we're going to talk about is leading to that. The biggest thing to me is creating a safe space for your kids to talk to you about dating, not judging, not saying they did something wrong, because guess what, they are going to make mistakes. They are going to even do things we might think are wrong, and you, as a parent, are going to want them to tell you about those things so that you can help them and guide them. And if you've created this environment where they don't share with you. They're not going to come to you at the most critical times.
Speaker 1: And everybody makes those mistakes. As you said, I'm going to date the bad boy, I'm going to change him.
Speaker 3: Of course, that is normal a problem.
Speaker 1: I'm going to solve the problem, right, I'm going to I'm a fixer. I'm going to fix this person and everybody. Those things haven't changed. It's just that they're wrapped up in different packages now because kids are a little different. But I'm telling you those same blocks remain, and you can't. You know what happens if you tell somebody you're forbidden or you can't or you shouldn't. You immediately get defensive because now I'm judging you, and your judgment is on the line, and so you're going to defend that and you're going to go further in that direction. So instead, if you see your your kid date a knucklehead or start going out with a knucklehead, I'm not talking about Tim Walls, I'm talking about other knuckleheads.
Speaker 3: So random, that's all I think of.
Speaker 1: Now I'm a knucklehead. But you got to let them also make some of those mistakes. But you can have those conversations of what are you getting back from this person? What do you think about it? You know, again, those questions, they'll get to that answer all that.
Speaker 2: That's so true if you're if they're dating someone you don't like, ask them questions back and you watch what conclusion they draw.
Speaker 1: What is what is she giving you? You know? Is she there for you? Is she you know the way you're there for her, et cetera. I'll never forget. I was sitting so I used to get the screener obviously for the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows, because I would write these things called a blog back in the day. So I was watching the show, and I'll never forget. I was watching Caitlin Bristow's season, and it was the episode with Nick Vaiau when they hooked up before this, before the Fantasy Suite and all that when Nick came on the show. So they end up in a hotel room together. And so Taylor would watch the show with me, and I was like, and I'm a single dad. She would crawl in bed with me and I'd watch it on my computer and we're sitting there, and again that was probably a little bit too much of an adult situation. And she knew Caitlyn because Taylor had met Caitlyn and loved her and thought she was great and fun, and Caitlyn was so sweet to Taylor, and so this was someone that was kind of personal to Taylor. And she kind of looked at me and I stopped to make some notes for my blog and Taylor. I could see Taylor very inquisitive. I said, what do you think about what just happened there? And it opened this whole. Instead of saying, Hey, I hope you'll never do that or I hope whatever, you know, It's like, I just said, well, what do you think about? You know how Caitlyn handled that? And we had this whole conversation about her body and her choice and empowering herself, and you know, it led us into this conversation about having sex and having a moment and being intimate whatever without me putting her on the spot. It looked for those windows of opportunities. I guess what I'm saying, because I know not everyone's going to lay in bed and watch The Bachelor bacherette with your daughter, But it allowed me to have those moments of when you're watching a movie or when you see a moment on TV or maybe whatever in life you stop and be like, hey, like not for nothing, but later in the car. You don't have to do it right then, but later, what did you think about that? Like, I'm just curious, like did that make you uncomfortable? Did you feel like and just look for those cracks, look for those doors to open so you can walk through them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think like sharing your mistakes too. I mean, I know we were sort of talking about balancing how much do you share your own stories, but like, yeah, being like I made mistakes at your age, you know, and sharing your vulnerabilities, that was something I kind of wish my parents had done more too. Again, I understand where they were coming from. They didn't want me to mess up. But I think we've always taken the approach with the kids of like, dating is practice and you're gonna make mistakes, and yeah, you're gonna, you know, date the wrong person and you.
Speaker 3: Actually have to.
Speaker 2: It's actually critical you have to date the wrong people to find the right one. Like you to do this, I've always said to them, it is a guarantee that you're going to go through breakups. It's normal. It's actually good it's how you learn about relationships. So you know, in the moment, they're still going to feel sad and you have to support them through it, but just try to maintain that perspective for them of like, this is normal and these feelings are normal, and we're going to get through this. And it's actually, in the long run going to be a good thing that you learned what you don't want in a relationship here, because it's going to prepare you for one the right one question.
Speaker 1: This is important to realize total to see those red flags and to know and then the next time you'll know exactly what those red flags are and you'll notice if they are aren't there. But I think you hit a good, very good point about parents. You can't leave the impression that you are perfect because your kids kind of look at you as this perfect person. You have all the answers. You're the dad, you're the mom. You feed, you clothe, you drive, you take care of this person. So you know, you grow up and you kind of have this. You put your parents on a pedestal. For the most part. I know there's you know, some that don't, But for the most part, I'm painting with a broad brush here. You can't allow your child to think that you were perfect, that you never made mistakes, that you didn't fall on your face and do something dumb and date the wrong person or say the wrong thing, or maybe we're inappropriate one time and you feel really bad about it. Like sharing those stories to give the kids room to fail is so important. Like going through a date, going through dating life, trying to be perfect is impossible, and so I do like that. You know, especially with our daughter Taylor, we laugh a lot about the silliest things on dates. When she'll go on to date and she'll tell us it's like I did this that was really dumb, and will laugh, or he did this and it was like, oh my god. And like having a laugh with him and keeping it positive is great. So they realize you are just as fallible as they are.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's talk about sex.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about sex.
Speaker 3: How did you talk to the kids about sex?
Speaker 1: This is very important. Again, if you're not involved in their life, if you've never laid that foundation, and you sit them down when they're ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, whenever you think they're ready, and that's your first real conversation about love, life, sex. It's going to be awkward and it's going to miss the mark. But if you have laid that ground work ahead of time and talked about dating, talked about love and relationships, it makes that conversation a lot less awkward. It will be awkward, just know that going in it's going to be awkward. It's your job to just make it normal, be able to create that space, that safe space where that you can have it back and forth. There probably won't be a lot of back and forth that day, but allowing them to circle back later when they've thought about it or talked about it. Then the other thing is there is no right time. There is no age. It's not eleven, it's not twelve, it's not thirteen, it's it's depending on your child. Like Josh and Taylor were different. They hit those marks at a different time in their lives, and it was my job to know when it was time to have those conversations. You know, early on it was very simple because you know, I'll just use Taylor for example. Sorry Tay, but it's like, you know she was ready to date or interested in boys. I knew that, but she wasn't interested in that next step I knew that wasn't on the table yet you could just tell to a certain degree. So it's like, okay, let's talk about what you need to expect out of a boy. You know, those those things you talk about about being a gentleman. Is he nice to you on the playground, et cetera. You know, did he give you his extra dessert one time? You know what? You know, those little things of like you, you should set the groundwork for what to expect from a significant other. Then as you see things as they get older and you're like, okay, I feel like it's time. Then you sit down and have the bigger talk and we split it up. That's what we did in our house because we had a we were separated. But obviously they're still involved with their mom and she's a great mom, but she kind of took Taylor and did that talk. I took Joshua and had that talk.
Speaker 2: I will say, like, maybe to give the parents out there some ease, I wish my parents had been more open with me about sex too. Like I think, if you're nervous about this conversation with your kids, I'm just telling you my perspective and maybe ask yourself this do you wish your how do you wish your own parents had handled it? Like, because it's always our opportunity right to like improve on what our parents did. But I wish Yeah, I think, like I don't remember my parents talking to me about sex. I think they kind of left it to thinking school was handling it because school does have that like sex set in the fifth grade or whatever. I remember being left like confused. And I also think that when parents don't talk to kids about it, that's when other kids at school fill the information holes, and well that's not a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also I know has changed, you know, for us, it was probably a little older in our generation, but now they are exposed.
Speaker 3: Well, they have so much access to the internet.
Speaker 1: I have porn at their fingertips. They have, you know, access to so much information. And that's a good thing because they can also look things up on their own of like is this normal, is this weird or whatever. But also you want them to be getting the right information and the right viewpoint of you know, porn cannot be their conduit to love and relationships and how you treat people. And that's how intimacy is and so you have to that is a conversation you have to have now of like what that means and when you're seeing it, because you're you're going.
Speaker 2: To well, if you don't have it, then someone else will, you know. And I definitely wish my parents had, Like it was, sex was always a very awkward topic with them too, Like I just wish it had been more normalized. I didn't feel like it was awkward because they made it awkward, you know. And again, I really do think the more awkward or closed off or uncomfortable you are just makes your kids hide stuff from you, and you know, ultimately, I think also as a parent, you have to forgive yourself. Like I've kind of looked at how I've tried to be like maybe looking at the you know, how my parents were with me. I've tried to be better for Josh and Taylor, and you know, what I've kind of learned is that they're still going to make mistakes. And again that's normal and there is no perfect way to parent, and so like forgive yourself on that. But that makes it all the more important to be comfortable with open dialogue with each other. I think that's truly like the most important thing you can do as a parent, is be a safe space for your kids to come to because all the bad stuff is a guarantee, and not even bad all the all the things going wrong or learning experiences are a guarantee.
Speaker 1: And you know, as we impart this wisdom to our kids, life has its ups and downs, and those are so important. You need to fail. You got to fail in life, and you have to learn to embrace that being dumped, being fired, not getting the part, not getting the job, not getting on the team. I think the helicopter parent generation, hopefully this is changing a little bit, was running around being so overly involved in things to make sure their kids never failed. And that is not life. And so these kids, you know, there was a generation of kids that got to these schools and got to colleges and got to all that, and they were not prepared for life. And so if Heaven forbid, something doesn't go their way, they fold up like a lawn chair and they're done. And it's like, that's when you got to be your strongest and your best and you realize that greatest opportunities, the best opportunities, come after failure, after a breakdown, after a loss. It's you know, and instilling that in your kids, especially when it comes to love and relationships. You realize now it's just fun and dating is fun and everything doesn't have to be perfect and possible every time.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you, as a parent were really instilling This might seem like a simple question, but instilling like your own morals and what you thought was like the right or wrong thing to do in terms of dating and sex.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I think I think that's impossible not to you do, whether it's your religious beliefs, your doctrine, or however your family kind of what they believe in. I definitely you definitely do, because I think a.
Speaker 2: Lot of conflict comes from that, like if kids feel like like I'm thinking of just traditionally if you say no sex before marriage and then it's like that that can create a lot of conflict.
Speaker 1: But no, I think for us it was more of remember your faith, remember your family. And my thing and everything I tell my kids to do is remember you are responsible to more than just yourself. What you do shines the light on your friends, your family, your brother, your mom, your dad, you know, everybody, and so you know you are responsible to more than just you and your name carries a lot of weight other than just your first name, and so everything you do just think about being you know, what would what would you want? What would you tell your grandmother? And that's how I felt, Well what would you go to? You know? And again I wouldn't show them everything. I wouldn't want to show them to take. But you know what I mean, it's a well.
Speaker 2: Then how do you balance that with not making them afraid to come to you with mistakes.
Speaker 1: Though, but at the same time knowing that we are all going to mess up. We're all going to make mistakes that is okay, and allowing that space of like there's a difference between hey, remember your faith or like God's always watching you know, any sin is a sin and you're doomed for life. It's no, no, no, it's not that. It's just, you know, try to make the best decision and know that you're not going to always make the perfect decision. You've got to make a game time decision and then deal with the consequences and owning up to that and being honest about it.
Speaker 3: I think when Taylor at her first breakup, I said, well, you've had your first breakup.
Speaker 1: That's exciting you did you did you you crush that? Well?
Speaker 2: I don't, you know, I didn't want to not. I don't know if I crushed it. I want to, you know, acknowledge. I do think it's important as a parent too, to remember how big those feelings feel at that time. Like sometimes my mom would be like, oh my god, honey, stop being so dramatic about it, and.
Speaker 3: Like, well, I was a teenage girl. You know, they're inherently pretty dramatic.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying we have to sit and like acknowledge every feeling, because I think sometimes we talk about feelings too much, and if you feed it, it grows and that makes those bad feelings worse. And we do have to encourage our kids to move forward, but you know, acknowledge the feelings and then kind of try to put them in perspective and be like, it's all going to be okay for me.
Speaker 1: It's easy. I'm like my kids and this, I think to your point, there was a generation that grew up with your parents met in high school, they got married, they were very possibly each other's first intimately, and they've been married for thirty forty fifty years. Whether they're happy or not. That was kind of the game plan, right, So I think, wow, that puts a lot of pressure on it. The next generation, well, this generation, my kids grew up in divorce. Like they know, Dad failed, Dad's first relationship wasn't perfect clearly he and mom mart together anymore, and he's but he's And then they saw me date and they saw me fine love again and get married again. So I'm glad that my kids to a certain degree, you know, you don't want your kids to go through, you know, troubles like that in a family. But I'm glad that my kids got to see my struggles and got to see my triumphs and how I recovered. It's like, yeah, life's not simple, but it's still spectacular. It's still fabulous, even those even those sad times of going through a divorce but then finding trying to date again, and like talking to the kids about it and when to when should we have these conversations and figuring that out with them. I think it's important to not make them too much of a friend. Remember, they're your kids. They don't need to know everything all the time. They're not your best friend, they're not your therapist. Their kids, and you have to still keep them separated a little bit on this stuff, but being open and honest at them is helpful. And you know clearly they saw their dad wasn't perfect. Well I am, now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're pretty great. Well I applaud you.
Speaker 2: I commend you on it, babe, because I do think you know, especially sometimes that like you know, girls talking to their dads or sons talking to their moms sometimes those gender barriers going to be tough when it comes to discussing dating and sex. And I think you've created a really pretty open environment and I think that's the biggest and most important thing.
Speaker 1: So and likewise, I want to praise you too, because like you came in and you are such a great advocate for the kids, and it conduit to them of like I you know, sometimes it's like, oh we can go to Lauren, and I like that they have. You have filled that role and done such a beautiful job and you impart such amazing wisdom in that way.
Speaker 3: Wow, thanks babe.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I get uncomfortable with praise, So I love you and to anybody out there who has kids and is trying to get into these conversas.
Speaker 3: We know it's tough we are with you.
Speaker 2: We support you and know that if you care enough to think about how you're doing it well, then you're already doing a pretty good job.
Speaker 3: So all our love and we will talk to you guys next time because.
Speaker 1: We have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most Dramatic pod Ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.