Speaker 1: Many of us have thought about doing this, but we haven't. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strung and getty one more.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: You don't have the falls, and neither do I and shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But if you've ever had a really crappy car, like not, I'm not talking about like you had a car and it was fine, but over ten years of ownership it became crappy. I mean it was crappy from the get go. You got ripped off a lemon if you will, and you were quite angry who sold it to you? Maybe you can relate to this person?
Speaker 4: Then, oh, anybody under the car?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: It was kind of a very very scary situation. Several hours later he came back and he was very emotional. He said, listen, if you don't give him my money back right now, I'm going to run this car right through the front door.
Speaker 2: I was just really angry. I was upset about my money. I kind of blacked out for a second.
Speaker 3: You know, I know I probably shouldn't have done it, but I guess I just hit a breaking point.
Speaker 1: Probably, Well that's a crazy person, is what that is. If it was an hour ago, you didn't have time to find out you have a crappy car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was worried about my money, and I kind of blacked out. I expected to hear the guy yelling, listen this thing. I found sand in the transmission, right, you know whatever, But no, just a wacky doodle.
Speaker 1: Yeah and uh and you could have killed somebody obviously.
Speaker 5: So yeah. I don't know if you saw the video of this, but he went straight through the big pane glass windows and into somebody's desk with that car.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, that's oh yeah, that's that's no good. I got ripped off once on a car. Yeah. You remember when I flew to Boise to buy that pickup truck.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was that turned out bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like four days it was on the way home, the transmission stopped working. Oh really yeah, And I don't know enough about transmissions to know how you would get it, you know, hair pinned and duct taped together to hold up during test drive. But then it potts like as soon as I left the guy's house. But that's what happened. Jeez.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I've had vehicles that ran fine until they got warmed up when things got hot, and then things went south. So as long as you drove the car when it was cold, it seemed like it ran fine. Things got all hot, they didn't work so well. What time? My buddy Chris and I, Hey, gladys, can you play the hard for this? My buddy Chris and I were going to college in Western Kansas, and we both were I think we're nineteen years old. We're freshmen in college. And we both had like a thousand bucks and we went to Denver to get cars. Neither one of us had a car, and we had a thousand dollars. His sister drove us to Denver and dropped us off. We got a cheap rental car. And the only way we're going to get back home is one or both of us were going.
Speaker 2: To buy our cars. Wow.
Speaker 1: And we spent the weekend shopping.
Speaker 2: What year it was?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 1: Nineteen eighty four?
Speaker 2: Standby, I mean go ahead, you can keep talking. And I mean by standby, I mean continue you.
Speaker 1: Talking, Jose, I assume trying to figure out what one thousand dollars would be in today's money.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it still wasn't a lot nineteen thirteen, No, nineteen eighty two, you said, four eighty four? Okay?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 2: The year van Halen's nineteen four album nineteen Charts. It was the year after Van Halen's nineteen forty eight album I'm trying to type in a talk at the same time, and it's going poorly. Okay, here we go. There you go, Jack, that would be in today's dollars a three thousand dollars car.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, so that that's helpful, but you know, so not disastrous cars, but not a not a great car. So we each had the cash in our pocket and we went to a whole bunch of crappy car lots because when you're buying it, when that's your your limit, you can't go to very nice car lots, right, I mean, most car lots don't have a car that cheap anywhere on the lot. So we're going to what they call potlot. It's the places that are gravel, you know, and got a puddle over there, and they got kind of like a mobile home for where you go in and fill up the paperwork. Charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those kind of places.
Speaker 1: And I've bought quite a few cars at places like that, and they're sketch af But we each bought Baja Bugs, which was very childish of us, and The only people that thought that was cool was ten year old boys. Girls certainly didn't think so. But we each bought these old Volkswagens on the way home. Driving on the way home, similar to your situation. His his broke down. We didn't even make it home, like two hundred miles and his broke down. Mine soldiered on and ran for years. Actually, but man, you buy a car and you don't even make it home, that makes you mad. That will make you mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, all right, hang out, go ahead, Katie.
Speaker 5: Oh my Lemon was a brand new car, which sucked, but I was I was working at the radio station in San Francisco, and I had gotten it was also a Volkswagon Jack, but it was one of those convertible ones, so it had the little button and the convertible would tuck back into the trunk. Look at thet convertible, huh yeah. And I had always wanted a convertible. So I'm on my way to the radio station. It is four o'clock in the morning and raining, and I am on the freeway driving through Oakland, California, and out of nowhere, the convertible opened.
Speaker 2: While I was a whole freeway oh boy in the rain, let me gets your attention. Yeah, so I closed it rain, I.
Speaker 5: Closed it, went to the radio station, did my show, came home, and then when he straight to the dealership and got rid of that car that day.
Speaker 1: Did you get any money back or anything like that? I know I got the no cooling off Lemon Long whatever it is you see in California.
Speaker 5: They took pretty good care of me because I had purchased the car the week before. I mean, this was eight days of owning this thing. But I'll never forget it. Just it just started going back and I'm going, what the's going on here?
Speaker 2: That had to be a moment of am I in attack or whatever? Did I black out? What is happening? So Jack for for I set my limits, my price limits here at eBay Motors between three thousand and thirty one hundred dollars, and I've got several fine vehicles for you. I got a nineteen eighty six Chevrolet Caprice Classic. Now this is a classic. It's right there in the name.
Speaker 1: Boy, an American made car from the eighties, new.
Speaker 2: Three thousand and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: I'm pro American made cars now, high quality. There was a period of time in the seventies and eighties, they were crap.
Speaker 2: It's a nineteen eighty six, one of the best years made. Low mileage, It just doesn't look like it. What is the mileage, hones, You're gonna tell me the damn mileage? Good lord, what a I used.
Speaker 1: To do commercials for one of those potlights Katie Beck into my early radio days, and I do ads every day, and all the cars were like fifteen hundred dollars in the ads I'm doing, and I would I'd readop I said. We got in nineteen seventy six, you know, Capri Classic ice Coaldale air conditioner for good tires. We're letting this one go with eleven hundred dollars. Now we got a dots in to eighty Z for fourteen hundred dollars. This one's got a stereo, leather seats, and ice cold air conditioning. When you're advertising the air conditioning is a real luxury point, that's that's not a good sign.
Speaker 6: That's a sign for how good the tires are. Hey, it's got a stereo. Yeah, yeah, exactly, of course it does. You won't have to ride around in silence in this one.
Speaker 5: That's got all four seats exactly.
Speaker 2: Hanson cold air conditioning.
Speaker 7: Hanson just informed me that eighties cars are coming back in certain auctions. Barrett Jackson auctions. Have you ever heard of him? I guess they're bringing back eighties cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh yeah. My son's really into a lot of cars that that. He's like, oh, that's a cool car, Dad, And I said, wow, really I remember that car. You could go to that for two thousand dollars. But they got popular for a variety of reasons, you know, the way things just get popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole you know, life span of whether it's a band or a car or a dance craze or whatever. That it's it's super hip, then it's new ish, then it's established, then it's kind of tired, then it's old and mocked, and then the nostalgias starts. What is that twelve there's some sort of twelve year rulers. I can't remember, but yeah, and then all of a sudden it's the hottest thing.
Speaker 1: Definitely happens with cars. I got a whole bunch of crappy cars I wish I would have kept because they'd have been they'd be worth something now, or they certainly would be cool now they were not at the time. This one takes American made fuel. It's only nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: You know what, Looking at cheap cars online is comical.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: For thirty eight hundred dollars, you can get a two thousand and five Hondai Ailantra with one hundred and fifty thousand miles, has no punch lights and only three tires.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I am. I am not to the place yet my life where I can even like joke about that. I spent too many years driving crappy cars, and the only thing I ever wanted was to make enough money that I could have a car that when I walked out in the morning, I knew it was gonna start. I thought that that was just my dream in life, to know I could walk out there and be almost certain that when I turned the key it would start.
Speaker 2: Because s was luxury in your head all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, because every day of is it going to start today? And then everything that goes with if it doesn't start, how you get to work, how you're gonna get it somewhere, how you're gonna pay for it? Oh my god, that's the worst.
Speaker 5: My mom always talks about her seventy five bug that she had to park on a on a hill facing downhill, and she'd have to pop the clutch to get it rolling in order for it to start.
Speaker 1: No starter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good thing here in the Bay Area, in the Central Valley.
Speaker 1: Right, I had many motorcycles like that. I'd have to run and then hop on the seat and pop the clutch. Oh did you get all sweaty?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Well, what are you gonna do? I'll be back there again soon enough. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I was hanging out at the strip mall wherever it was the other day and a guy passed me rolled by and I'm not like a car guy exactly, so I don't know, but it was an early seventies like Impalla. It was one of those cars that's like sixty five feet long. I mean, just a ridiculously long hood and trunk Tudor. But you know, it took like five minutes for the thing to roll by me, and it was just magnificent. Yeah. Is that because it's just the car that I admired when I was, you know whatever, seven years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to do with your age, because I go to a lot of car shows with Sam because he is a car guy and who loves him. And when I was a kid, all the cars were fifties cars, you know, fifty seven Chevy or whatever like that, because the old guys there, that was the car that was hot when they was in high school. They were in high school. Now you see the occasional one of those, but that's not what Guinneabody gathers around. They gather around the nineteen eighty you know, Pontiac Firebird because that's the car they had when they were in high school. It has to do with what you had when you're in you're not a car guy. You know who is a car guy. Mike Canton, our executive producer Hansen joined.
Speaker 4: Them just you know, Joe, every kid, every high school kid should appreciate and enjoy ownership of a land yacht, one of those big cars. And I had one and it was it was actually a proud moment for me because I bought it from a Junkyard. My nineteen seventy one buhicless saber bought from a Junkyard for two hundred dollars. It was awesome. The heater had a quality heater up.
Speaker 2: I'm adjusting for inflation that two hundred dollars would be two hundred and four dollars to that.
Speaker 3: I could.
Speaker 4: I could fit six guys in that car, I'm sure. Plus load up the trunk with a lot of beer before basketball games. We had a great time, heater beer awesome, had a great time, no doubt. Someone plowed into that car in the middle of winter on my street, and I think I know who it was. Troy.
Speaker 1: I'll hold that against you for the rest of your life. Troy.
Speaker 2: Wow, damn Troy. Anyway, this may be illegue.
Speaker 1: He went last name.
Speaker 4: I'm serious about it. Never revealed that ever, So my whole life, I've never had a chance to call him out. Okay, I've been wanting to do this for the past thirty years.
Speaker 2: Wow. If anybody else would like to level a half assization for a decade's old incident, to call us and we'll put you on the air. I want to call out my uncle right now.
Speaker 4: So then I sold the car to a guy for two hundred dollars. He drove it for the summer. Then I bought the car back from him that fall for one hundred and fifty bucks. And I drove it again for another winter. It was fantastic that a.
Speaker 1: Box on the God, now you broke even, all right. That is the one thing with the cheap cars, because I've done that a few times. You buy him for something and then you sell them for the same amount because they just bought them out, that's what they were worth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, boy, my old buddy Scott, God rest his soul, had this gigantic since in nineteen seventy, probably eight. I don't know Impalla, but it was one of those giant land yachts. It was crappy when he owned it, and old. But you know, the old complaint used to be cars are too small, they have sex in the back seat anymore. Well, Scott's racing and Palla. You could have one couple in the front seat and one in the back seat and they wouldn't be aware of each other.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: It was so freaking big. We could put so many people in that car and in the trunk, Hansen to your point, I mean, never mind beer, you could you could like put one of those the tiny houses in the trunk. It was so ginormous.
Speaker 1: I learned to drive in our station wagon that was like that. I don't know how I learned to drive as a five foot two fourteen year old. But uh, you couldn't see anything but hood. There's just hood, giant hood turning the giant hood everywhere I go. Those cars are so long too. Learning to parallel park a twenty foot car, I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 2: Makes you good? Who knows how many people you ran down? And we're totally unaware of it, right? Maybe Old Troy as somebody who had it coming. Huh.
Speaker 7: My parents bought a station wagon true story. They didn't realize that the windows didn't roll down in the back until when their kids got car sick, and that's how they found out. Well, I guess that's it.
Speaker 1: Rolled down the window. I can't barf card